Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey there, and welcome back to Coast to Coast AM. I'm Connie Willis. I would love for you to join my shows, or learn something about my shows, or even you know, go outside here and listen to the podcast that I have for you. You can easily do that just simply go to Connie Willis dot com. You can find all sorts of everything there and I'd love for you to be a part of the community and the family I have. It's a really good time. We have a good time. We do have a good time, and we do a lot of fun stuff. We laugh, but we also investigate for real bigfoot and we've done creepy hotspots at Waverly Hills what we're talking about tonight. And we have a good time across the board and it's all of us hanging out. We're not just bigfooters or ghost hunters or UFO watchers or any you know, medium society. It's everything deep into it, not one oh one. So if you're really serious, you know, yeah, it's a member, that's right. You got to keep me going. So I'd love for you to join. Go to Connie Willis dot com see what works for you, and at least sign up to get the emails and all start sending those out soon. There's a lot of work to keep all this stuff going. So yeah, we've done some of my creepy hotspots. We've been broadcasting from right there at Waverley Hills and just amazing things have happened, just with our live events that we do there and the times that I've been there, Amazing crazy things that happened now before. So we have teeny teeny, teeny. We got teeny Tina teenie. We've got Tina Holy Cow teen and then it's like help me out here. We have Tina Mattinglee. She's the owner, her and her husband Charlie, and so Tina, there's amazing stories. But before we get to the ghosts stories and encounters and all that kind of stuff, I just want to let people know a little bit more about the background Country Club place to go, that this is the elite of the elite, go for for uh hopefully living, you know, wait, waiting list. It was the place to be and it had even something cool like in each room didn't have something new that was very new at the time. Was it radio in each one of the rooms or something.
Speaker 3: They had radio and each room we got pictures of them with their headsets on and listening to the radio. And it was the top of the line. You know. That's where electric blankets started out and Tuberculosi's hospitals because people were laying out on those breezeways and a lot of things started because of that to try to make people comfortable. And you know, they couldn't see their families, a lot of them, and you know they just run, probably lonely, probably loved sitting there and you know, listening to the radio, just kicking back and trying to relax, and they felt horrible.
Speaker 2: And hoping to be cured. There was like a huge restaurant, cafeteria and everything, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had everything. I met a lady, one dame, her name, her name was Phyllis Byers, and when she was telling me about you could smell the ros I mean when she was telling me the story, you could just taste this food talk because it was all really good. You know. They raised their own livestock, they owned, They had their own eggs and milk, you know, cows to milk and everything they raised their own potatoes and tomatoes, and they're totally self contained. But I remember her sitting there saying, man, you'd smell those roes cooking and you just couldn't wait to get them. And they would just oh they were so good. And all of a sudden she stopped and said, but you know they had bugs in them. Oh gee, they had bugs in them. And she's like, yeah, you know, the flower would get weavils and stuff in it. I guess, And I guess when the you know, those rolls would heat up, those bugs would go right to the middle, so you had a ball of bugs right in the middle there. But oh, you just pluck that ball out of there and eat that road. It was still good.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it's funny.
Speaker 3: Actually it now, you know. Yeah, you know, I guess when they purchased things, if they did purchase things in the flower, they had to purchase big quantities.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure we will we here and there more.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, never, never, I don't even want to think about it. So all these people are coming in, they're sick, they're trying to figure out the cure. They're believing that the breezeway. I mean, there's no windows. It's all open. There's like where windows could be, but it's there's no windows. That's part of the treatment. And and they they've got this huge cafeteria. You know, if you ever go to this, I mean everything is huge. Everything is cool. Like they could dance, they go to they would dance with each other. They just live their lives.
Speaker 3: You know, they're very party was a Halloween push.
Speaker 2: Their first party was a Halloween party.
Speaker 3: In October, and they're very Halloween party. And they would you know, crown the King and Queen at the Halloween party. And you know, they liked it. Whatever they could do to keep people's morale up, they would do it if you felt like getting out and doing something. You know, some people that had a disease, you know, they weren't you know, they weren't bedridden, right, they got really bad. You know. So you know, I'm sure the grounds was beautiful. I've heard you could just go outside and walk around on the grounds you had set on. At one point it set on about six hundred acres and started out smaller, but they kept purchasing more lands. So yeah, it was kind of like a resort. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, you had said you said you know, the families couldn't come visit them because they're sick with TV. And there's all these people with TV. But you but I know, I've heard some stories that there was a little love American style going on too, because they would just go from one floor to the other floor and all of a sudden go boyfriend and girlfriends.
Speaker 3: I met people that married their nurses, I mean, you know, and I remember this one person telling me that they would take because you know, the men and women were separated and on these different floors, and they said that they would just tear a little hole in the screen, the copper screens, and they would tie a note and a string around this note and drop it down to the next floor, you know, for them to get a note from them or whatever. And they would meet and you know, they snuck out of their rooms and all kinds of things, and they'd play poker. And you know, I'll forget another lady who had told me about they would sneak out and they'd play poker. And she was like, I don't know, fourteen when she was there. You know, they didn't have their parents there, you know, they couldn't. And she was playing poker with a bunch of them. There was this one guy, he was eighteen, and he let her win all the pennies. They had pennies, and she tried to give them back to him, and he said, oh, no, you want them. He was getting ready to have surgery, you know, one of his lungs removed the next day, and he said, you keep them and I probably won't need them after tomorrow. And he didn't. He didn't make it. Oh, and I remember she cried and she said that was my first love.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, instead of sad, some things, there's really sad.
Speaker 2: But you know, the reason that I'm even bringing up these stories is the fact that later on, after you bought the bill, after it was no longer used anymore, and you guys purchased it and turned it into what it is today. A lot of these stories are seen in a haunted kind of way where people pick it up as psychics or or people see it and there's stories behind it. So all these things that were happening back then, you know, they're like being relived and people are seeing them now today, and it's amazing.
Speaker 3: That is true. You know, when we purchased it, we talked about it that you know, we bought it to favor a piece of history, but didn't even think about it being haunted. And when I found out right off the bat, it didn't take long.
Speaker 2: How did you find out it was haunted?
Speaker 3: You know? So what'd you say? I'm sorry?
Speaker 2: How did you find out it was haunted?
Speaker 3: Well? The first time I sat up there, you didn't. I was in my vehicle. We had called lgn E and the water company to come up and, you know, to see about getting some electric and water up there because there was nothing. And I'm sitting in my pickup truck waiting for him to show up. You didn't want to get out because I mean, it was a mess up there. It was pretty much used it for a dump and the building was kind of left kind of open where you know, people could go in there, and so you didn't want to. You don't want to be in there by yourself, but you just didn't know what you're going to run into. And I'm sitting there in my pickup truck and I'm waiting for them to show up, and I hear this noise and I'm like, what is that? And I look over I hear this like a motor, you know, something moving and I look over and my mirrors, my electric mirrors on my truck were moving on their own. Oh, And I was like, what the heck, because I didn't even I'm like, really, well, then I thought I saw somebody in the building, which I could have been somebody, you know, a live person, because you know, like I said, it was open to the public. Well, I sat there for as long as I could, and get started getting dark, and of course they you know who I was waiting for, and never showed up, and I I just left. I didn't say, but that was my first thing that I had happened. And Chris scary, really, I mean, it startled me.
Speaker 2: No, that's interesting. Yeah, that's kind of funky. That's a little weird. That's a little strange. Yeah, but let's go back to the history for a minute again, because there was something.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of.
Speaker 2: Unique things about that building, not just huge and not just you know, the TV and being like one of the top places to be in state of the art treatments. And I think there was even something in between there too, like a nursing home or something. But there was there were so many deaths along the way, so many people were dying, yes, that they had created that shoot. How did the how did the body shoot come about?
Speaker 3: What a body shoot? Originally was not built to take bodies down. It was built to bring materials up to build that building. You know, they built that building in less than two years. But they couldn't do that now because they needed it. And I mean in that buildings built you know it it is it, yeah, it is. I mean it's made out of concrete and marble and drazzle and bricks. A lot of bricks were made on the property also. But they built that body sheet. You know, it was a maintenance tunnel that went down towards the railroad tracks for them to bring things up to build that building. Because it's up on the hill and the body sheet is you know approximately you know, close to six hundred feet long, and it's it's a kind of a hard walk. If you can walk down it, boy, you better be prepared to come back up.
Speaker 2: Man, walking down its just trying to go down there. It's like, oh, somebody go with me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But coming back up, it's gravity pushing to you. You know, You're like.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh no, no, I'd run, I would run. I'm okay, No, and then they it's scary morale reasons.
Speaker 3: They started using it, you know, to take the bodies down, and they had to make ship more get the bottom. And I've had people tell me that they've seen it. It would actually say more get the bottom and a hears or a train, come on the train or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The bodies were diseased a lot of times. Families you know, they didn't claim these bodies. You know, they couldn't, so you know, I'm to a cremature, remember where they needed to go. But that's why they used it, because they didn't want the patients to see hearses and different things coming up or pick up the bodies, you know, because people were dying left and right, and how would that make you feel your morales? Like, well, I guess I'm gonna be next. It's gonna be me tomorrow. Yeah, you know, but that's why they started using the body shoot makes sense though, and I think it's a great I thought it was a great idea. You might as well utilize it. It's already it's there, you know, but driven on a Pulley system.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And if you ever go on a tour there, you're going to see it. You guys, you're going to see it and if you if you get to go and do research there, you'll be that's one of the places you'll want to go. And a lot of activity happens you don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you got any health problems whatsoever, you do not need to walk down that bud of shoes. Then you can get activity anywhere. I mean sitting right now.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: You don't have to go down to get activity in it or so, but a lot.
Speaker 2: But it adds to it, Tina. Then it adds to it when you're there.
Speaker 3: It's it's come down and come up, break out in an attack, and then come up. I answer, of course, Segarette.
Speaker 4: You're like, really, hey, they were doing it back then, why not it's crazy anyway, Yeah, it's it's an amazing place.
Speaker 3: And you were talking earlier about this building. When you come up that hill. Yeah, And I remember the first time I saw it, I was just like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: It's not real. It doesn't look real.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, it just turns out when you get up there, it's just so amazing. It takes your breath away. It's just something like you've never seen before. And it's the energy that comes off of it too. It draws you. And she called I call her she because she has an attitude in that building. And the reason I think it's hard. It sounds crazy that that building had so many people in it, so many many hopes and prayers and dreams of living. Yeah, coming out of everybody that walked through those first those doors. That that building is like it's it's it's not like any other buildings that can walk into. It's like it's alive. It's just the feeling that comes from it. And it's like I said, I know anybody else, that's going to sound crazy, but if you've ever been there, I know, Connie, you have to tell me that you feel it too.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, that building is alive. It's exactly the way to say it. And and a lot of people did survive and they are so thankful that they were there because they did live.
Speaker 3: And you know, I found out from a lady that I had up there that they interviewed on when Ghost Adventures was there, was that she said, you never talked about it. People didn't. You didn't want to talk about it after you left there. You were happy you survived. Yeah, but you never talked about it, she said, because people would treat you like you still had a sure so you just never talked about it her again. And the day that she came up here, this is a woman almost ninety years old, she came up there on a walker and she was just she just wanted to be there just one more time, because that's what that place saved her life. Yeah, and she said, I just Tina, you don't understand how this makes me feel today, just being able to be here. And you know, she couldn't hardly explain it, but and it is hard to explain.
Speaker 2: It's like wow, especially losing so many other people around you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's just if you haven't never had anything life changing like that happened to you, it's just so hard for you to understand. And she was just a beautiful woman and I'm talking inside now and thankful and just I think once she made that, you know, through that disease, that she must have decided that she was just going to live a happy life. And you could just being around her, you know, just made you want to be around her because she loves a very positive person.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast am every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more