Speaker 1: What Is Up? Mets fans, Welcome back to another episode of the Mets Up podcast. For those of you Sikos out there who are still addicted to watching this New York Mets team, maybe a head on a second screen after watching team in USA play a horrendous game against Belgium. We're here to talk about everything going on in the Mets world. A nice series split against the Atlanta Braves for some reason, we have their number this year. Can't figure it out. Team stinks, but not against the Braves. And we've got some trade talks, some rumors, some crazy takes being spewed on the internet. We're gonna talk about everything, but of course, before we get going into it, make sure you guys are subscribed to Mets Up over on YouTube so you don't miss out on the video version of the podcast. If you want to listen to US Apple podcasts, Spotify, Google drops a rating, drops review, download, and subscribe. I mean again, in another Brave series where it's like kind of positive.
Speaker 2: I mean this, I feel like the series tell us more about the Braves and did about the Mets. I think it feels blatant that the Braves team isn't should be taken like super seriously as a World Series contender in the National League.
Speaker 1: I think the current version of them, no, the current iteration of them.
Speaker 2: I guess they will get healthier when Coone is back. But this team is definitely worse than the Philly So that's not what it's about. It's not just about at all. This is about the Mets again just having a bad just a bad series in general, and the fact that they the fact that they split it into two games that they won. They were so bad at the end they kind of deserve to lose them. Not so much on Monday, very much more so on Sunday. Getting the shit beat out of them in fourth July, like talk about fireworks and then Yeah, I don't know, there's just bad defense, bad at bats, decent pitching kind of besides from and I, I guess I wasn't even terrible defense.
Speaker 1: Let him got anything else great either, Scott. It was just like, wasn't great either.
Speaker 2: I think the mean for the prop is better than most of his stars lately. Those first two winnings, the defense kind of all over the place. He finally has the slider back. I think that's something that's cool. He was throwing the sweeper variant that we hadn't seen him throw that much, so I appreciated seeing an adjustment there and getting a pitch that was actually missing bats again right handed bathers.
Speaker 1: Like that was a really good sign for me from Freddy. That's a good show you for the rest of the teams in the league that the slider's not gone. That's like the biggest thing to take out of it. It's just, I mean, going four innings. It's crazy that we win a game where Freddy goes four innings like that again, or four and two thirds whatever it actually came out to be.
Speaker 2: I missed what people were calling him Freddy five innings like that was a bad thing.
Speaker 1: This is Freddy four innings. That version is Freddy Prault. I would kill for right now.
Speaker 2: But even like again, Scott on on Friday, let's just jump around ten minutes and the games jump around. Then talk about all the trade stuff Mike Francesa, Will Sam and all the crazy stuff going on right now.
Speaker 1: Boomer Sison, Boomer Sison, Game one, Game one. We'll start game one. Christian Scott.
Speaker 2: This was just Christian Scott where at Fastball awesome making hitlers look bad, missing bats in the zone, sweepers great against the readies, and then with the lefties, it's like, am I confident the color right now?
Speaker 1: Or am I not confident? And then you kind of get into these long battles.
Speaker 2: They held only eighty pitches as well, and the home runs of course, but this was just this is just who Christian Scott thinks is going to be until there's more development, and this to me feels like not a bad place.
Speaker 1: For a pitch to begin. Yeah, it wasn't a great start by any means. Also, like the eighty pitches is why he went four innings. He probably goes a fifth inning if he's not coming back off the injury and if he doesn't have the injury history behind him. Yeah, it was a grinding It was a stressful eighty two for Scott, four walk seven k's. It's well, the Mets have the craziest run lines or box score every single night for their pitching. To strike out seven, walk four and give up two home runs and you're like only three earned runs? How is that even possible?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But again, because he's missing bass with fast ball on the zone baby, and the Mets office just took seven innings off in this game as well, until one Soto kind of brought it back together. Both both rallies were wan so though induced.
Speaker 1: Not even rallies. It's all the home run and then another hit.
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, it's just it's watching his team steals very whatever. The big news heading into this game was that a j Ewing got bumped up to the top spot and now carsonsvantage got moved to fifth, which and then.
Speaker 1: Aj Ewing got taken out of the game because he stole while Wan Soda was up. He stole in front of Sodo got on base. Aj Ewing has had really bad success sealing bases at the major league level. I am kind of confused about it because he's a great runner but just gets really bad jumps at on the bass pass. It's a skill. Andy Green sat him down, said, this is a moment where he's got to understand that sometimes when Mon SODA's up and you're on base, he can't run into an out. And I'm not gonna lie. I didn't hate it. I think that's I think that's a way to teach him. While also like, I mean, he got three at bats in this game. It's not like he didn't play, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: He also didn't start the next day, But I also think that was them still. Andy Green said they're going to try and hide him against tough lefties, which is why he sat partially maybe because the disciplinary reason still but against Chris Sale then was in the lineup against Martine Perez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know if it's disciplinary. I think it's just more so even like just learn young buck you're twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it is funny with Youing because base stealing is so much of a skill and we learned that last year and s and why major to pant to Antoine rigardson plenty of times.
Speaker 1: Yourbody's still on basis of the Braves have this year versus the Mets, by.
Speaker 2: The way you all, but it is the skill is just going to come with a time every single day. With aj Ewing, I still watch him make a good play. Carson Bench is the same, and it's like everything's house money. I feel like with him, he's so far ahead of schedule. Anyway, we even just talked about the fact that it's amazing after these four games that Bobiche has a higher batting average a j Ewing that.
Speaker 1: Does feel insane like that it's gone that way, but also at the same time, like I am super impressed with how aj Ewing has played thus far. I think he has shown that he's very, very capable at a super young age of twenty one. He plays a great center field. The base running thing's going to clean up. He's gonna make some mistakes again because he's twenty one years old. But I think you said perfectly, James, like him and Bench, they make good plays every day. And just to bring this up because I have to since we're going to talk about trades, it does make you understand more why the Nemo contract was such a rush to get moved off of not because of the quality of player that Nimo is, but because we do have these great young players who are doing very very similar things to what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this year and next year, aj Ewing probably ay Carson Bench by next year probably outpaced Brandon Nimo in terms of value. Probably again still taking human element out of that shack that happened one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: But don't look at who we trade for.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, again, Well he's gone. I mean, who knows that when he comes back and plays baseball games? Because we are also as this is all going on, like Louise Robert is rehabing a triple A and similar to the conversations, we're going to have an only a few short minutes.
Speaker 1: So hang on with us, guys.
Speaker 2: Everything's going to be about the trade deadline for the next three weeks, about showcasing guys, getting ready to trade them, even some guys we didn't expect maybe to get traded. So with the Mets wanting to showcase Louise Robert, they're going to put him back in center field, and as that happens, do not be surprised if aj Ewing becomes the second basement.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of days for this baseball team been taking some ground balls. We know that ever since he got called up, he's been taking ground balls. I do think Sodo probably just goes to the age most of the days. I think that's what it ends up being. I mean, he's been there a lot. Anyway. I think there will still be a rotation.
Speaker 2: But I also think, just to again think about the future, think about the players you have, Like see how a j Ewing does turning double plays, going up the middle like he has, like gonna have a great arm for a second baseman.
Speaker 1: He's gonna have a Candon over on one of the best arms at the second base in the league.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's gonna be fun to navigate all these things again. Saturday, freeze through this one quickly got your doors blown off. Another folly in the field with Lindor and Tyrone Taylor having a bit of a miscommunication that was on Tyrone. I'm hoping that we get that error that hit turned into an error because I have a fantasy game that I tied and I had Sean and I on my line.
Speaker 1: But the relief the spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm really hoping that we can reverse I get a retroactive win at some point this week. I want to shout out a great Twitter cube in followood. Recently, m willb scoring changes Okay, phenomenal, just.
Speaker 1: Go all he does.
Speaker 2: Go over every single scoring change that happens after the fact, and you go over the Miserowski one. He's gone viral now because of that Miserowski thing. I the fo it was like a month that happened last week and then also again on Monday with Christopher Sanchez play with Trey Turner. Yes where if both of those calls were reversed, their ear ras would have been like within a tenth of a run, and now they're like six and a half tenth of a run.
Speaker 1: It's crazy how these scoring changes can make such a huge difference. It is, but again, Saturday, you got anything else? Sean and Iah looked horrible, Austin Warrens being human, Joey Gerberb got shelled. I mean, there's not really anything to talk about there. I guess good to see Mark Riento's get a home run off another lefty's that's just boosted any sort of trade value he possibly could have.
Speaker 2: I mean, he is, I'll get you the split right here in a second, because now it seems like he's only playing against lefties and Marchie should only be doing He does have an eight to fifty ops against leftis.
Speaker 1: That's a playoff team could use that. There's no doubt about it. Pittsburgh Pirates, I'm looking at you. Well, they're going to cut the other guy. They're gonna do that. I think they should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely should. That the criminal, Yeah, the criminal. That's it's a nicely tyrone Taylor get the bat hot.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, just right before we trade him. Hopefully, hopefully it's something there.
Speaker 2: But then series kind of got crazy once we got to Sunday again, Like this team does find a way somehow to pick themselves like barely off the mat when they're about to get fully knocked the fuck out kind of sometimes once in a while maybe, And offense went crazy after the Brads give you saw a punch in the mouth in the first inning.
Speaker 1: That was Nolan McLain.
Speaker 2: Also again defense not doing him any favors, settling in really nicely again, the feel for the.
Speaker 1: Curve ball just appears to be back.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that was stopping him, and now against lefties him having it. That looks like Nolan McLain has very much nestled himself back into being an incredibly solid, sturdy starting pitcher. And then just whatever happened that ninth inning was like, how's his real life? Eleven runs in the ninth inning of this game? That's absolutely insane, Like when the Mets threw up five, I was like, oh, it's kind of nice, nice little Sunday recovering from a nice Fourth of July at the Chiano's Great Party, Good times, Rock and Pops shout out the Schiano's for hosting us. All right, nice, taking a little nap, started to fall asleep, and all of a sudden, oh my god, Oscar Brosebond just gave up a grand slam.
Speaker 1: He's the white like that.
Speaker 2: This this is Boscar browsel Bond's worst outing in a year. And then for Devin Williams to come in and we're like, oh, hopefully it can be settled down. Opposite of being settled down, you've got to load the bases, you have to walk multiple guys, you have to go to the three balls, and you have a chance to.
Speaker 1: Tie the game.
Speaker 2: But then it did wind up being okay, and that ninth inning was fun like for us.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: I like seeing Boba Schett, I like seeing ja ewing one. So though like that was that was not the Ajuing won.
Speaker 1: That was two things before Juing home run off Martine Perez, which yes, which was I couldn't believe that that ball went out. The balls are so insanely juiced. Again, it's insane. And the balls in Atlanta they fly out of that ballpark. It's crazy, the ease that balls get out.
Speaker 2: I mean, Atlanta is one of the ballparks and Washington's like this as well, and not the same way. But San Diego's like this, where Cleveland's like this too big time. Pittsburgh is a little bit like this, where once the weather warms you have a totally different ballpark down theah. I think Washington's like the most pronounced one in baseball there.
Speaker 1: Remember you tell me about that a couple of years ago and being like, oh, home runs in Washington for lefties is good.
Speaker 2: Look once you get to July and it's just humid soup every single day out there. But that was just and the same thing kind of bled into it with Monday, where you're like this, it's fun to watch this baseball team win. I like, especially getting games off the Braves. It's just not serious baseball team.
Speaker 1: It's no Gary had a great quote during this one. I'm pulling it up real quick because my dad texted it to me and I want to make sure that we talked about it. Oh. He said that basically like, even though the Mets suck in moments like these, it's nice to like not care to just like enjoy that the Mets win a game against the Atlanta Braves. I even tweeted that on Sunday, where like, after all the chaos and whatnot, it's always nice to beat the Braves. Like, yes, I think, like I understand a certain part of the fan base is going to throw their hands and go crazy and stuff. And I think we've said it a couple times on this podcast, but it's like, guys, this season is it's not. We're not playing for twenty twenty six right now. So like the anger, the upset of like quality of play, I'm simply not gonna do it anymore. Any of the ranting or yelling that I'm gonna do is now, like theoretical process, things are gonna happen with the trade deadline, because like, it was fun to see the Mets beat the Braves, even though again back to back cardiac arrest days, like oh my god, how can we blow this? We do one game to come back and win. It was sick.
Speaker 4: Look in summertime, it's cool in the morning, hot during the day, cool again at night. Rarely am I sitting there going, oh, I'm just gonna do one thing at a time. I'm bouncing from work, I'm bouncing in the yard, I'm running to a game. Fabletics has got me with price, comfort and versatility with all the gear that I'm getting from them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're talking about premium activewear you'd expect from higher end brands, but without the price tag. Lightweight, breatheable, comfortable, built to actually last. And if you're going to Fabletics, you should be joining as a VIP, which completely changes the game. You can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 2: Yes, and weird thing too where this looks like Lindor will be the lead off hitter against lefties and the second he's in that leadoff spot, yeah, bat start night and day.
Speaker 1: Compared to one he's further down the or they.
Speaker 2: Don't like them at four And we're gonna talk a lot about Francisco Lindor coming up in a little bit. And like I said, Bobachett, he raises average like thirteen points. This series, he raised ops about fifteen as well. Like he's he looks like a very solid baseball player. We're getting to a spot with Bobachett whereas he continues to hit, and it does seem like he will continue to hit, he's gonna back his way into like a three win season, three and a half win season, after being complete non entity, non factor for two months to begin it. Yeah, no, he's been I mean again, my play my flag moment's been just unbelievable timing. He's gonna completely smash the eight hundred ops from that point on.
Speaker 1: He's been playing really good baseball. And again he's playing a really good third base, which I think is the the thing that the Mets probably had the biggest question mark about and this week, maybe not them, I think they still probably were like, he's gonna hit well enough. Hopefully he plays league average defense at third. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you have forty million unless you expect league average defense at least.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean we've seen it to other guys.
Speaker 2: And then again, Carson Bench, he's playing well. We have to take these things with us and be able to enjoy these little things again. Like Carson bench Adreywing made a nice play. Carson made a bad play in this game. Idiops watch above six hundred.
Speaker 1: Nice until tomorrow. What else? Chrisius Galver has a couple of big hits.
Speaker 2: Luis Rentz the big hit when he looked like the mess were really gonna die, and then he's laced the double off of Owen Murphy, who was getting his first ever.
Speaker 1: Major league action.
Speaker 2: Also Boba Shitt getting thrown out the plate. That's just pissed me off, as USA was completely falling apart. He's himself shockingly slow. Yeah, and I don't think it shocked.
Speaker 1: He's very well known. How slowly. Let's get him and Tim Reim to do a forty yard dash raced against each other.
Speaker 2: I don't want to ever hear Tim Riem's name again, No more than so with Tim Riem is not even funny.
Speaker 1: We just don't.
Speaker 2: Like someone had the viral tweets like it's a country, three hundred million people. We have no one better than Tim Riem. Really we really don't. I don't know if you got to help much. You guys keep up with us.
Speaker 1: Socked not good, No, not particularly interested in to shout out Luke Weaver nails as always. I know he gave him the run, but yeah, kind of he made really really really sweaty. He still hasn't given a Nerd run in what like two months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think since the next we're in the series against the Hawks, he is getting traded possibly.
Speaker 1: I think that is well. He said, we have anything else to talk through right now. Senga looked okay when he pitched. He did besides psess for the home run, but everything else was okay. Like that's another guy. Talk about Showcase for relief roll. Yeah, Showcase for the relief roll, big time for Senga. Jeffrey On got added to the forty man roster, which I can't wait to see him get to the major league, major leagues. He's going to I'm excited. Also, we saw what's his name, Guilow Guilow Zee. Yeah, he got called up. There's like ninety eight, so like I like to see that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And when the Mets came back and then night that came back, Yeah, and they came back to the ninth inning on Monday, that was rice like Glacier's first blown save this season.
Speaker 1: I love to see that anytime we can hurt the Braves, like I know we're hearting the Braves, helps the Phillies, the lesser of two evils, whatever it is. I like just playing spoiler when we have the opportunity to play it just yet. You just have to play the game in front of you. And lots of successful challenges in this game on Monday, heaps of them, so they had a great shows. Don't look at overhits from the first inning, don't look at that one or Mark Fiante's from the other night, but that went very vile from mets up account. Brard shout out the intern there.
Speaker 2: But so, although had a few cocky challenges in the series, which is nice because he's been oddy bad challenges have been way too.
Speaker 1: In the weeds of challenge data.
Speaker 2: Is just because I want to find it any way possible to keep flaming Mark Fiantos, so he deserves it every single second. But I just I like seeing the top of this order actually play well cohesively together like they did most of this series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when the when when those guys are healthy and in the line together, there they are scoring runs that top the orders moving and Mauricio frez Baz. It looks most of the time, need to get a big hit and then standing to help push that rally along. But good little series for the Mets. Overall split with the Braves. Never gonna be upset. But this is the last place in New York Mets they're not good. No, that's it. Now for some of the real stuff here. Yeah, which fun stuff? Which way? What do you want to go first?
Speaker 2: You want to do trade deadline talk first or jumping right into media marvels. Let's jump into media marvel because it will lead into trade deadline talk. So lead into series trade deadline talk. We're gonna start that with nonsense trade dead Yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna start off with nonsense trade deadline talk because I mean, listen, I understand everybody's got to be out there get their clicks. But we got to talk about Mike Francesa and we got to talk about boomersiasin because I think frances dropped an entire podcast about the state of the Mets and is reiterating that solo Indors relationship is not good in the metal trade. Lindor at like basically any costs are looking to move him, which if we're gonna take anything from this podcast today. I hope it's you guys take that Mike Francisa has no inside information to the New York Mets whatsoever. Steve Cohen saying the thing that he said last week on the show has completely turned this into a massive, massive clusterfuck. And it's crazy that he said it. I was listening to WFA anim I drive back from Jersey today Jersey to Astoria, Evan Roberts and Tiki Barber did a great job. Roberts, I'm glad that he's really pushing that. Cohen should have never said it. Who gives a shit, It doesn't matter. These guys are clearly fine now we've seen them this year. They seem to interact just fine together. But the whole like the Mets are gonna tear it down and Francisco Lindor is gonna be out. Boomer Science is talking about how the Mets will better off trading Francisco Indoor they have to trade. I'm like, when are are we going to get to the point where we stop listening to non baseball people talk about baseball, or people that have no clue about what's going on in baseball talk about Baseball.
Speaker 2: I think that is just the nature of the beast right now, in a lost season like this, with the kind of expectations, with the kind of star power, and with the kind of just to claim the Mets still always get Like Mets for clicks is a real thing. You could talk about the Mets. You can talk about the Mets and make may you know, living off it. So I think a lot of people right now like it's become such an easy target because again, a couple of different things can be true here, like Facisco Lindora has been a lightning ride the whole time he's been on the Mets, been incredible. He's very good also being the center of attention and whether or not that be his fault someone else's fault, again his own fault sometimes this particular time, his owner's fault. We even forgot about the quote from so Though on Friday about him and Francisco Lindor. You don't kiss the girl on the first date, Yeah, but what happened there and judging the first date but.
Speaker 1: Tugging down his throat.
Speaker 2: When you meet a girl, you don't start kissing her right away. But it is interesting how different there certain reports are about the nature of these guys relationship where the whole time it's either forget these guys just simply coworkers. Yes, these players were met without the intention of being best friends. The two guys who from different different places in the world, different upbringings, different stages.
Speaker 1: Of their life.
Speaker 2: It's like you never ever have to speak to the other guy off the field, doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: And by all accounts, whether it be good, bad, chili and different, it doesn't seem like it's the one thing that's driving this team apart. It really does not at all. If it is, we do have a roster of the softest players in the league. Because there have been teams that hate each other. There have been successful Mets teams that had dislike towards each other. The Agy six Mets, they brawled with each other, they had fights, there was any there, and the other guys like they were just ready to fight anybody at any moment. So it is always so funny to me when it feels like Mets fans, I mean the Ay six team one. So that's why nobody brings it up. But like we have proof that these guys don't need to be better friends. It's not important at all whatsoever.
Speaker 2: The dynamic is weirdly and again we were kids at the times, but I do remember it starting to become like real sentient with baseball knowledge. It does remind me a little bit of the way that the New York media was specifically talking about Gether.
Speaker 1: In a Rod very much so where it's kawin. Yes, I mean once, yeah, I know, but I'll take one. Take that. I'll take one. I'll take one trade everyone. I don't care what happens. Have the rest of my life after that.
Speaker 2: But it does kind of have that vibe to it, which, again I don't think it's a good thing, but it does feel like it's something where like we said at the top, if you continue to stroke these flames, they will continue to build a fire. Yes, so and all these a lot of the guys were talking about, not Evan Roberts, because Evan is great and he fights a good fri real met fan. Yeah, but like Boomer Sisen, he patently doesn't know anything about baseball.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, do you want to hear One of the funniest replies I got about my thing? So I quote tweeted the Boomer video, I said, I really wish people were zero baseball knowledge, would stop talking about baseball, Mets or not, should not and will not be trading Francisco Lindor. Someone replied to me and said, so, the former proportional professional athlete who hosted the number one sports talk radio show in New York for twenty years doesn't know baseball, got it? I'm like, I mean, he's a great radio host, there's no doubt about it. He's good at the job he does. But why does that make him qualified to talk about baseball? And then this guy replied and said, because Boomer Sisen won the Yastremsky Award for best Baseball Player on Long Island in high school. That's why he's qualified. Like, holy shit, could you, James? You did you ever win like a Great Reader Reader Award elementary school? I want some? I want some nonsense Social Studies Award middle school? What the fuck was it? You? You surely then can give out the Pulitzer Prize every single year. Oh yeah, I'm run for Congress next week.
Speaker 2: But there's I don't know, there's still so many angles to it. Those still just because like when I we talk about Francisco Inndoor online or in the show in our comments section, like people still talk about like the thumbs down thingvisive, Like there's a section of Mets fans that has complete Francisco Lindord's arrangement syndrome where they don't watch him. But then the flip side of this, let me give me, give me ten percent of a devil's advocacy here. I don't think they're going to trade ciscal indoor, of course not. It's definitely not gonna happen to trade deadline. And this is the other thing that gets lost in the public, and we talk about this a lot, especial when do the wind up. We're talking about tair Scooble all trades in general. I don't think a ciscal indoor is my trade value at all.
Speaker 1: I think he does, and he doesn't. Like here's here's the thing. For a team that's trying to win right now, that doesn't care about money, you would happily take him. Like if which the team is that, if the Dodger would probably be the Yankees, if anybody, if anybody, that won't happen. It's not going to happen, of course it's not. And like if the Dodgers didn't have a shortstop, they would totally do it, but like, there's no teams that really make sense monetarily to trade him to that actually are going to like the Red Sox gonna do it, Like No, probably not.
Speaker 2: I'm saying again, he's just when you have a player who's still due five years at thirty two million dollars whatever it is thirty four million right now in Baseball Reference because I was looking at it today, he's just some deferred money.
Speaker 1: Okay, so before I guess without deferrals or anything, it's through twenty thirty one hundred and seventy million dollars. And again it's a nonsense conversation, but just saying, usually when you have of middlandfielders who franciscal Indoor is still quite a good defender, but I think it's clear his best defensive days are behind him because he's turning thirty three years old at the end of the season. Yeah, he is not Bobbywit Junior at shortstop anymore, but he is still one of the better defensive shortstop. He's still a plus defensive shortstop, and I think that's getting very much lost in this whole conversation right now because people see errors and just assume that you're washed and it's not happening. For ciscal Indoor right now still has a positive OAA in a very very small sample, and I feel like people can point to errors he's made from the start of the year. So like again, this is gonna be a classic. Like Nerds, jocktings, my eyes told me he's not as good at shortstop anymore. The numbers don't. The numbers back him up that he's still a plus defender at shortstop.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by Fandel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and Fandel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot Com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: We're also in just such a fever pitch of like nerd jock stuff and again so much. We did the Eric Schavis episode with you guys last week, really fun. Love the replies to that, but that was like the epitome the ner jock stuff where he's like, this is how you should do baseball because I did baseball.
Speaker 1: Well, where it's like, that's not really true. It's happening with Jalen Brown right now.
Speaker 2: It's happening because every single day there is so disgruntled former player who's complaining about the way the lost is ready and it's just it's a nonsense argument and it's blatantly untrue. But at the same time, Francisco Lindora's probably already had his best season as.
Speaker 1: A met totally I and and like I got into arguments with people about that today too. They're like, you're not understanding he's gonna get worse with me, So then you can't. You don't hold on Do you think they don't know that? Yeah, you don't hold on to any fucking player. Then as soon as bad bad year, get rid of him. And then here's the other thing for everyone out there, who the fuck is going to play shortstop for this team? There is not a shortstop within within years of being ready to play shortstop. You want to see Ronnie Mauricso every day you're gonna be the same fucking moron who goes insane screaming about bying Ronnie Maurice you at shortstop. This guy fucking sucks. He doesn't play the game the right way, Like you can't have it both ways. And I'm I love being a Mets fan. I love the Mets fans that listen to Mets Up. But we are getting to a dangerous point right now as a fan base. We're we're turning into fucking spoiled brats. It's so annoying. It's also the reverse of the lodge of why.
Speaker 2: People are upset about dumping Nimo and Alonzo, because those are also guys who were definitely so much indoor, but that I'm talking about both sides of the mouth for a second. Here, those are guys that were past their prime and based on the contracts that they have on top of it, you could see the way to Jalen Brown, and there was gonna be dead money relative to player value over the course. And I still don't know if that's totally true references condor because of the total bargain is contracts turned into where as a plus defender the preimposition and a guy who I still think will profile is twenty percent.
Speaker 1: Better than the gaverage for a couple of years, two or three more years up this year, he's up. Bad handmate, He's gonna wind He's a bad handmate and a bad calf. He's gonna wind up's wanting want so the bad distcourse too. But I think also he's playing the whole year with a bad calf and he looks phenomenal whatever. But at the same time, when you did trade those two guys and you kind of repositioned your contending window. They didn't do that intentionally, but now we've seen the fallout that they have. He's not on the timeline of theoretically the rest of the roster. But then also at the same time, like you said, there's no there's no shortstop replacements. Like if you guys look at this'll grow on trees the fridge because old guys don't play shortstop. Because of the rules for Major League Baseball free agency, guy waits six years to be a free agent. So generally if you come up between twenty three and twenty five, not hitting fre agency till you're around thirty, and usually when you're thirty, Francisco indors anomaly because he's probably going to be a first Battle Hall of Fame or won the best players he's ever played position in the history of the game. That's so you can actually last in the position.
Speaker 2: But like you want, you want Hassan Kim playing shortstop, Like that's what it becomes when you need a free agent short stop.
Speaker 1: I got a short stop where you can have Anthony Volpi probably by the next year, if you'd really want a SHORTSTOPA he's another one where he does get perpetually underrated because now he's playing good defense. Again, Yeah, like he's perfectly valuable. And there's again like the good shortstops, they're not going anywhere. Good shortstops don't get moved. It's not how it happens. And then you're gonna pick from the rest of the litter, which is like, oh, you could have Jose Cabaliro, then when he becomes a free agent, like you can have all these other options who are not nearly as good, like Lindor is having a bad offensive start to the season. He's a better hitter than all the guys that we just mentioned and a better field. And the other thing that's just like so crazy to me too, is just about how like we talked about this when we first signed Francisco Lindoor and how this we loved the contract from the start. We thought it was a great signing when we signed. We signedim at twenty seven, so we got a bunch of years out of him. He's gonna be able to play second base. I feel like at an elite level as soon as shortstop falls off, Like, there's nothing that shows us that he won't be a phenomenal second baseman. Where where's the problem? Also the money conversation, he's here, he's not our money. He's going to be better than the guys that we trade away for similar money. Like over these next five years, he's making similar money to Pete Alonzo. That's insane and yeah right, and dollars per war is something that kind of gets overanalyzed, but usually what's accepted the most simple way possible is eight million dollars per war. So for Cisco, Indoor winds up sitting between four and five wins above replacement per year, which I still think he'll be able to do in perpetuity as a plus defender, at least when he becomes an average defender shortstoped then a plus defender at second base. While being even at that point fifteen percent better league average with the bat and being a good bass runner, You're still getting that every single year. Like this contract is so unbelievably good. For some reason, Mets fans have this weird feeling about it. I don't think they realize how long ago it was, and how much more money other players make now you have, and how valuable Franciscal Lindoor really is. Like he's he's going into the Hall of Fame with a Mets have on as long as we don't trade him. I love to trade in the next the next twelve months, but that's I think he just passed the guardians for games played. He did earlier this season, but he's it's just it's very annoying that his name and again shame on us maybe for eating the trash and doing this whole thing about it, but it's just it's frustrating the way that these talking heads kind of take this kind of twist around who Francisco Indoor is as a baseball player, and I say this, I'll give I'll give one morsel to the other side, just the fact that there's been claub Pouse chaos, but the Mets always Yeah, I don't think Franciscal Indoor is really.
Speaker 2: The most additive person. Maybe sometimes chemistry wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're if we're gonna take that other side, and I think that's again, if there was a player who was this all time great on your team, face of the franchise for the first few years, you would hope that some real era of culture was usher than if you want to say Francisco Indoor fell short on that part of his promise or for sure, but every single thing on the field has been absolutely above and beyond every single step of the way, and there's not even a shadow of it. Doubt and trying to deny that in six seasons with the Mets, including this shortened one twenty eight War, and six season with the Guardians, including a short one in Cleveland twenty eight war like, he's been unbelievably good with the Mets, and I just I can't get behind the Francisco indoor hate. We've never been behind it. I think it's a moronic conversation, truthfully, and it.
Speaker 2: Becomes especially frustrating that all this stuff has to come back out because the owner made a flipping comment to the media and.
Speaker 1: Then the fuck did he say that? And then again, I think we said that before. He's just hanging out with two dudes, like they're come from the same place, they're the same age. They're just kind of chopping it up. What's crazy to me is that when we worked for the team, we had to be more careful about the stuff that we said. Then the owner of the organization, I understand, no shit, dude, but what you are, but what he says actually is important. It will get used what we said. Nobody would fucking care. That's just my whole point.
Speaker 2: And the fact that this should be a time not saying the professional athletes should be relaxing but like we said.
Speaker 1: Everyone's away, this season's over, right, Yes, you it should be a great time to fade to the background, try and build some culture and chemistry heading into the next season. Evaluate what's going on instead. On Friday Night, Will Salmon has to come out with a massive inside the piece about the nature of these guys relationship where he had quotes from them. Clearly he was talking to other people in the clubhouse, like the fact that because Steve Cohen had to say this and that's to become the thing again, wasn't the thing for the last few months. It wasn't a thing at all. Nobody was talking about it first and now again these guys have to when everything else is going on, all this other chaos and bullshit with the team, they still have to answer questions about this. And just as the quotes this from one and so though on Friday there were no issues last year at all, we didn't have any beef for anything. Our relationship is getting better because that takes time. When you meet the girl, you don't start kissing her right away. Door added. The more time we spend together is only naturally our relationship continues to grow.
Speaker 2: We've been teammates for two years times on our side, I had nothing but respect for him. He's my brother, somebody respected from a distance, and I respect here on the inside.
Speaker 1: And I do think ultimately like all this nonsense and everything going on with their relationship, if the Mets just didn't fucking stink last year and stink this year, this is such a non starter because if the team wins, nobody looks at relationships on the team, No one cares. John Lackey and Josh Becker were great friends. Were drink and beers. Yeah, I mean good friends. Two good friends in the clubhouse. Remember the cookie club with the Mets. They won a lot of games because they were really good friends. This guys suck all.
Speaker 2: The friendship really got us a long way. And again moreland door stuff here. The more time is well. A club source corroborates the relationship appears in better standing. So Lindor dynamic has lingered for two seasons after the mess disappointing end last season, they adle Lotic reported a personality clash between them. New York Postals report the two players had a chili relationship. That's not that weird inside of a baseball optics, So okay, it's not optimal.
Speaker 1: No, I wish they were the best of friends. I wish they were great. That would be awesome. But like the fact, this is only a story, like you said, because the team's ass in a season where they hated each other. Let's go to the absolute neck. If they hated each other's guts. Juan Soto had maybe the best season of his career, and Francisco Lindor went thirty thirty thirty, Yeah, like pretty good. And then if everything, if everything else everyone else was saying was true, If Lindor and and you know, Neimo and Alonzo, with these big time leaders, could they help mend for everybody else? Yeah? What went on there? Get those two again?
Speaker 2: If those two guys being kind of just a little bit okay with each other fractures the whole locker room, that is kind of a bet reflection everybody else as well. And the manager who got fired, who everyone keeps defending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was absolutely ridiculous. So in our opinion, Francisco Lindor does not get traded because it would be quite literally one of the dumbest moves that David Stearns could make in a litany of dumb moves. He's made. There's just absolutely no one else you could play short stuff. No, and for the next five years what would wind up happening?
Speaker 2: So like just really put the tinfoil cap on, like who's theoretical, let's let's play.
Speaker 1: Let's Evan Roberts gave a great one. Was Mason Winn No? Oh, no, I thought you were talking about who the trade would be.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, who who could you ever even get right now in the league to be your shortstop?
Speaker 1: Anthony Volpy Mason win just because JJ Weatherholle could probably play shortstop, probably very well. Jeremy Panya. Maybe you trade him for Cory Seeger because Cory Seger hates being on the Rangers. Let's get that's those two guys would first thing. They'd be so happy. Those guys a great relationship. They definitely want so much. Those two do hate each other and they.
Speaker 2: Still won a World Series. That doesn't it just really doesn't matter. But it's a knowing that the drama has to come back out.
Speaker 1: He can't play short anymore.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: But that was the one that Roberts was like, that was the only thing that would ever make sense. Is like you the Mets hate Lindor so much, they're like, fuck it, let's trade bad contracts. If we think that's what it is. Put Jackson Merrill back to shortstop could be that. I mean, it's horrible too, It's terrible.
Speaker 2: It's just you don't don't really trade shortstops like in the NFL, trading quarterbacks like it's the most valuable position for a reason.
Speaker 1: That's why it was so insane when Francisco and Lindor got traded to the New York Mets for garbage, for nothing at all, not load of ship, the backup third basement for the Yankees. Andresey Menez and the Mets are great defender andrese Menez. He can't hit it shortstop.
Speaker 2: That's that that subset of Mets fans, and you don't really realize what you got right now.
Speaker 1: Someone told me the Mets would like Bishett at shortstop with a new third basement over Lindor. I was like, fuck, no, what are we talking about? And then someone told me that it's uh. Tried to compare Lindor to Nemo, and I'm like, their contracts could be relatively similar if you think they're the same player. I don't know what sport we've been watching. No, it's not even closed. Nimo has been way in the tubes. Don't tell you, don't tell anybody. We gotta give lons of the credit. Get great, He's definitely gonna keep hitting.
Speaker 2: So because TLDRS people saying the mesa trade, Nemo, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You mean Lindor lind orchie jumble in my head right now.
Speaker 2: You're also not getting much for him to trade because he knowed so much money and he is past his best years for sure, and you have no replacement in house. So again one two three, this makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no sense whatsoever. All right, now to the other trades stuff, real trade deadline talk now, things that actually could happen. And I feel like the biggest name to talk about is, for instance, Gualvarez slash Luise Torenz, which I think Alvarez is to get people in the door for Louise Torenz. Fun fact, I think, no.
Speaker 2: Matter what, there's definitely smoke to this because this again Will Salmon has has taken the mentally, he's the insiders inside there for this team. So this getting out that means someone wanted it out.
Speaker 1: He absolutely cocks the como.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little different when you're MLB dot com because that's film that's kind of state media, and then versus when you're like a reporter for the athletic incredibly different environment. I feel like shout out Will Salmon, shadow Will, And as you said right here and again, I don't for bed Films information because it was a gift free article for non athletics subscribers. Gefer seems to be available, and this is at least more available than he's ever been available.
Speaker 1: He's available, you want to make a call. And I think there's also probably a measures to the league that the Mets are kind of willing to trade anybody except Francisco Indoor on.
Speaker 2: And so again that's why when Mike Francesca says these things, but Will Salmon, who's seems to be the most in the know of anybody there, he says those things. Even forgot the Steve con even said we're not trading Francisco Indoor on that same podcast, which is insane.
Speaker 1: He had to even say that just for context. Don't you guys think that if Will Salmon had news that the Mets were maybe considering trading Francisco lindor he'd write that article because it would get one hundred thousand clicks. And also, if the Mets actually were considering it, don't you think they would want it to get out there so they would actually be able to drum up a big bidding war because he also has a full note trade close by the way they owned that kicked in this season. It's for the gapp digress, Francisco Alvarez. This does make it interesting.
Speaker 2: I think that we were definitely still big for Ciscqualvarez guys, and I think that much more so in a lot of other fans. I always love reading the comments under stuff like this, and the comments were like trade Franciscualaveras. Who would even give up something for Francisco alvers It's very much missing the point of what Francisco Alvarez is and where his skill set fits into the wider league context.
Speaker 1: Also, who would give up something for Francisca Alvera's He might be the guy who gets us the most back in the trade deadline if he were to be moved. That's the only reason why I think that the Mets would ever consider trading him is that there might be a package that comes back where you almost have to make this trade for a guy who we think is still going to be a great player, but has injury problems for sure, and has been inconsistent at times at the plate, especially on the power side, and with some other big major league from major league trades have happened in the last few years. Was it right for that? You're gonna have to give me a couple of minutes to think about it. Risk keep in your back pocket. The biggest problem that I have with the idea of trading Francisco Alvarez is similar to our other Francisco, who the fuck's gonna catch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because again similar to why he'd be so valuable in the trade. Like catchers who hit you have the legit power do not grow on trees it catchers who league average do not grow on trees. The way Francisco Alvarez trade to me makes sense is if the team is just really dead on him actually being a catcher.
Speaker 1: Which is maybe the only thing, because if Princess Guaverras does not play catcher, his value is absolutely crushed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it goes complete in the tubes because he's not big enough to be a first baseman. No, I don't know if he's liberal enough to be like a third base oldes.
Speaker 1: Who played a little second base when he was growing up.
Speaker 2: That's the one that actually could make sense for him, prinsus squivers that those double plays would be a complete adventure every time.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you could stick for sus squeal fors in the outfield.
Speaker 2: But like so that becomes a big part of this because he doesn't hit enough to be a negative value defensively. We like years ago that he was building himself up defensively, and he has had moments, flashes, spurts, but it does seem like, especially the knee injury, he seems to I'm not gonna say he's playing through right now, but you taramniskis, you come back in six weeks, that will affect you behind the plate, That will affect you pop times, that will affect the way you get out of your crouch. And that seems to be happening with Alparez right now. And he's been a bad receiver forever. He's never been a good receiver of the ball. Like there were those teen tiny little messages that he was getting a lot better at it than the second he got to the leagues, Like this guy's not very good at this.
Speaker 1: No, he definitely doesn't see the ball particularly well out of the pitcher's hands. But the reason you look past is because he has the potential to be an elite power hitter from behind the dish, and that hasn't developed as quickly as we like. But again, it's like the conversation, like he's twenty four, he's twenty five, like a lot of these players with Dylan Dingler's like, what like twenty seven right now? Like, no, I think he's twenty eight. I think I think I was was a college kid. I think I was a junior when he was a fresh mix. I remember watching him. He's turning twenty eight this year, Like, yeah, him, don't think the same year. He didn't have He didn't become a starting catcher until he was twenty six. I think he might have been an eerie when he was Francisco obre as his age, which is probably a tired thing for us to keep saying, but it also is the truth.
Speaker 2: No, it is, and the you just don't trade guys like this when they're pre arbitrations. Just it's again, maybe not you don't trade guys like this, but it's a message to the league that the metsag is incredibly open for business, incredibly open for business.
Speaker 1: I do think that the Francisco Alvarez trade, maybe this isn't how it works, but I I feel like the conversations that we've had with some guys like Zack Scott, the way that like we had to talk about how trade talks go. I feel like Francisco Alvarez starts the conversation to then just trade Louise Torenz because I don't like Louise trends. We love him as a backup, but also we do have to look at what he is. He can't really hit. I know he got the big hit in this game, but like a six oh five ops is about the best we're gonna see from him. And he is great behind the plate, But is that really something that you shouldn't cash in on for anything at some point?
Speaker 2: He's also thirty and it wouldn't really It shocked me when they gave him that extension.
Speaker 1: Shock kind of felt like, kind of not necessary at all.
Speaker 2: I'm good for Maybe it is the kind of thing that if you want to really prelude the trade, but this answer doesn't. I'm pretty sure the extension does not kick until next year because like Will mentioned that article like Baseball teams love fixed costs. Yes, the way, because Terren's debuted so late, he was still going to be in the arbitration system. You just don't really know the guy like that's going to be worth I don't.
Speaker 1: Really it's next year five to seven five seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know if he would have been worth more than that even arbitration. But I mean, he's playing a lot more now. Maybe that was what it is. Maybe they realized he's two two in RB last year, So that did come right at the time when Alver was about to set the mist more time. Yes, so maybe they kind of evaluated where his defensive projection was and they realized how much war that's worth and how much that leads to arbitration.
Speaker 1: They just want to get him under that for this again, I don't know.
Speaker 2: These front officers are doing things that we on the outside of fans don't really keep track of. I digress the same time, if there was ever a universe where Francisco Alvarez stayed healthy for one hundred and sixty two games and he got himself to a nice clean sturdy, like four hundred and forty played appearances. Even as a bad defender, he would just be like a three win player, which would be super valuable. And again, when he's not costing you any money and he's popping twenty home runs from the six or seven spot in the order, even with the big strikeouts in the big spots because swings to the defences every time, it's still just a very valuable player, archetype that doesn't exist very much in the open market, which is why the only reason to trade him is if some gives you a huge offer, which is why you float that you're thinking about it, Yes.
Speaker 1: Because this is the start the bidding war. Probably doesn't end up getting moved, That's what seems like, and I do think that again, anyone who's interested in Francisco Alvarez, theoretically you can be like, Okay, how about for a seventeen year old in the Dominican you get this great defensive backup catcher. But also in this piece, Will said that it would be a trade where you kind of look to Dre trade out of his strength for another team's strength to get major league ready talent for Luis Torrenz. No for Alvarez. Oh, okay, okay, because also, like, do you think I'm sure? I mean, let's see who could use a catcher at the Yankees. The Yankee so would take one of their million pitchers, Henry Lane. They would trade a pitcher for a catcher like that, Okay, catcher.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing about this talk about how rare shortstops are moved. Catchers are very rarely moved at the trade deadline. Never Lucroi is the big one. And what a flop he was after the deadline. What a fucking stinker that guy is. Yeah, right, but he's a little stinker. And that's also why right now, Jeffers, even with a broken handmade bone and even approaching free agency, it's just not something that happens. Catcher and shortstop oppositions that very often come from within. Yes, so it'd be weird to trade the guys that you have from within without very obvious replacements. And Mets don't have massive prospects banging down the door with these positions, not even close to it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear about Vin prod is bating average triplet les. No, you just stop.
Speaker 2: It's just not a major league baseball player and the Mets the other day, like, if you trade Franciscaulers, this basically would be the team giving a huge pot the confidence in Chris Suero, which he would become. He would be catching in the major leagues in the second half, which and he's a thirty percent shreckout rate.
Speaker 1: In Double A. Yeah, that's probably not the best for player development, which we know the Mets are going to be looking at. It's just it's a very weird situation, which again just tells me the Mets would do this to try and get some kind of monster offer. And Steve did call out David Searns in that in that podcast, saying, this time for my front office to be creative because they don't want to have another losing season next year. And there are so many steps that need to take place this roster be in positioned to compete by next season, and those steps are probably not trading the Franciscos. Can I say some really, I say it discuss disgusting sentence right now. They're very much in the trust for you, me and all of our friends. I feel like if we keep Alvarez, like Alvarez, benj Lindor Soto ewing that has the making of a core that you can still very much build around. I said that last episode it got clips. I'm like, this is an incredibly good like set of five guys here I've set of. It's just that we have about five hundred layers five hundred feet of dog shits around surrounding them right now, and we don't have starting pitching Like there are way I think both two things can be good. I think there's actually a good core on this team, especially for the future, and now it's about finding all those ancillary pieces and a lot of the guys that David Sturtns tried to bring in this offseason we're supposed to be that it did not work. So I don't know, Like I don't feel like from a casual baseball fan or like national baseball fan perspective, if you believed in this core going into the season and thought the pieces around that they brought it were good enough, like I feel like you could kind of shock yourself and the believe and did to it again.
Speaker 2: I think one hundred percent, I think this team will And you didn't even say Bobashett that because he could be here, Yeah, you could be here. I mean, I still crazy. I don't really don't think he will because I think he's going to be out. I think he's gonna he's third base has been good enough and his bat's gonna be good enough in the second half that he's gonna go find a six, seven year contract from somebody.
Speaker 1: These teams are not gonna see like a seven to twenty ops from Bobachette and be like oh poo who Like they're gonna be like, oh, in the second half you had an eleven hundred ops. Yeah, will take you.
Speaker 2: And right now, by far and away, the best free agents next season are Jazz Chism and Ryan Jeffers too.
Speaker 1: Good and Jazz Chis was having a horrendous season, and ye has is a vesting option. I'll know what that is.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: There's not there's not really like forty there's there's no bats out there at all whatsoever. It's gonna be a very very saying, not that this matters at all right now, but just trying to get in the mind of Bobachett making his decision. We also got a little bit of news on Batty Ursio Vientos that specifically with Beatty they met still internally feel like Bret Baidy could be a part of the future of this organization, which I'm sure is gonna drive people's crazy because utility player, bench guy, yeah, part time player, and that trading Mauricio on Vento's right now is going to be difficult because they basically have zero trade value. Shocker, who saw that one coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was another good note from Ken Rosenthal that the Pirates and the Mets are natural trade partners because the Pirates this could be something can happen sooner rather than later, because the Pirates have the thirty fourth pick, a comp a pick in the draft that they want to offset the cost of that to their major league roster.
Speaker 1: Right now, which is just fucking poor. Some guys should sell the team. But like that, that makes so much sense to me for a guy like Brooks Raley, and that's paid down the one point eight million of Brooks Raley do for the rest of the season. It'll be a little bit more right now, because I it happens before the draft, you'd be like two point two million and you just you get the thirty fourth pick and you get to add to your draft pool. That'd be phenomenal. I would freak out. If the Mets could do that, would love another first round pick. Oh, here's here's the fun exercise. Let's name some guys right now and say if you think they're gonna be traded. Okay, you're gonna come up with the names. Yeah, I'm gonna go in order. As I listen the roster resource cour one Boba Schet no knowing that the no trade clause and the comments that he made about how he wants to stay in New York, he also can decide if he wants to stay in New York. I don't think that there's a world where he's gonna be moved, And it doesn't seem like teams want to take that option.
Speaker 2: Still, Yeah, I think it would have to be like a conditional you are opting out and the Mets, or if you're not. If you don't opt out the Mets, you have to give us ten million dollars.
Speaker 1: And I don't think the Mets would even do that then.
Speaker 2: And just to comment the comments, Mark was referring to Bobashet said to Will Sam in this piece about all the trade deadline stuff, I came to New York to win the no trade claws.
Speaker 1: There for a reason. I'm just leaving it at that. I'd love to trade him, but I don't think it's gonna happen for a Francisco Lindor, No Jared Young. Maybe maybe maybe someone wants left him left you bat if Jake Bowers gets hurt, he's a brewery. I don't want to see that happen. Francisco Alvarez. I don't think he gets traded. I don't think so either, But I don't even want him to.
Speaker 2: But I actually do see the vision very much, because if they really are that sour on his defense, and some other team is a little bit desperate to get him in there, and they'll care as much about the defense, I can see that. See Ramirez right now, a little better, yeah, much better defensively, Yeah, but he's a game changer in the exact opposite way that is meant to be used. He ruins games defensively.
Speaker 1: A catcher, all right. I couldn't speak Brett baby. I don't think he gets traded. You know it's gonna want that Torrent traded. Yeah, you see that, I think so. Yeah, you think it's gonna happen. They trade him to the Long Island Ducks Mauricio. Someone's gonna take him. Traded, Tyron Taylor traded, Freddy traded. How much you think you get? I think he's gonna get a fringe top one hundred prospect, and depending on who the team is and how badly they need the pitching, it will be two prospects. Will be a fringe top one hundred and a toolsy eighteen year old guy. I like that too, And I think you might be able to sneak like a top baby prospect, which would be sick. I'd love back to the But then that's right, Brandon woodris hurt. They need another guy to be Alexander Frio. Oh, I wish. I'll never do that. Luke Weaver, so it's an interesting one too.
Speaker 2: In Sam's piece, he really emphasized the fact that Mets see him as someone that should be in the bullpen next year and that acquiring him will require a Hall exact quote.
Speaker 1: I think that knowing how much the Mets are now thinking about makeup and how you fit in New York, the fact that Luke Weaver has done it for both New York teams, and Luke Weaver really has been a fucking dog for the Mets since like that rough start, I think they do value that more than maybe what a return could be for a reliever with a year and a half of control. But I mentioned traded.
Speaker 2: We'll mention that too, about the fact that it's very impressive to club officials how he hit the tubes and the rest of the team hit the tubes.
Speaker 1: They went blazing hot.
Speaker 2: He did this for the Yankees two a few years ago, and then last year he ended the season poorly and still shut up the Mets and played well. He's he's a very very very good reliever, right. I just don't even a haul that you get for a reliever at the deadline unless your name is Mason Miller or Joan Durant, Like, unless you're a blockdown, one hundred mile an hour closer. You just don't really get massive pieces.
Speaker 1: For guys like that. Camillo de'v all had years and years of control and costs nothing, and we thought he had some of the nastiest stuff and he was straight for garbage.
Speaker 2: And I mean, now seeing Camille Davall and knowing some of the things I've heard about Camille Davall, it doesn't make sense why he would.
Speaker 1: Be like, get out of here. Yeah, but uh it is. I mean even Bednar traded for relatively nothing, and you know he's awesome, He's he's nails. I mean, you want to get you want to get triple A catcher. Then you can go over the door of the rest of these moves. Dude, yank, he's got to have another one, wastcar. No, he's staying so much team control, so much team control. He's four more years together, They're gonna they're gonna bring out Wascar brass Bot in a wheelchair when he's eighty, throw some innings, mintor traded. I think he's one hundred percent gone him and rarely are great pieces, so point five yr a I wish I can't wait to give him his final big booms?
Speaker 4: Uh co I.
Speaker 1: Traded? You think who's who's taking Cody's two years left the Astros? Oh my god? Maybe actually, like you know, everything we did wrong with tattoo and mine, let's try his screw up again. I actually have no idea. I finding a partner for him is hard, but I do think out of the pen he's more interesting. I do wonder who's a team that could like really optimize him. The Angels would love code. I sanga, No, there's no way that that would fit.
Speaker 2: He would just go back, you go back to Japan, that situation, that'd be horrible. I guess then the last one is really Lewis Roberts traded.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think as long as he's got a pulse, it's tough for any team to not I guess the money is the problem, but it suffered a team to not be intrigued. But also they weren't intrigued last offseason, so I mean, I think they were intrigued. I think the White Sox ask was very high.
Speaker 2: The Mets right now, knowing how badly they want to trade him, not feeling that they were not committed to one of the most electric superstars in the game. That seems like they helped to squander you kind of just trade him if you can. Arbitrage bed in Louis on Helicunya like it all worked out.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, if that was a win, one of the rare wins. Wait, there's more guys we got to talk about on here. I gotta play homes. He said he's gonna he The next start he wants to make is for the major league roster. I don't know if they'll let him do that, but it's crazy traded. I mean that said off the active roster. Uh, you don't think that anyone's gonna want Sean and Iah, I said, Sean and I said, no, No, he didn't ask me.
Speaker 2: Sean and Iah said, I also don't know why he's twenty five million dollars next year.
Speaker 1: Cee A no Perez throw ninety eight from the left side. Guess something for CNL Austin Weaver or Weaver as Warren. I don't know, maybe maybe not. No one will take Devin Williams surely. Eric Wackerman, I mean Devin Williams. I'm just we don't even talk about Devin Williams mushrooms to night. I'm just so mad a guy like him, like his his the the airbenders not bending, it was I mean, this happened the beginning of the year, was bending, then stopped bending. Then he got it back.
Speaker 2: But just it just goes to show why when you have a two pitch closer who doesn't have a dominant fastball and they kind of throw everything in the same spot like, it's just kind of easy for a hitter to eventually put you into a box, and the way he keeps losing the fastball velocity, and the way that pitch just went from the best pitch in baseball is just a really good pitch.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we somehow avoid the guy who was in a cock fighting ring and also hurt himself, and we got the worst options still, and MLB said that I have looking into it, and Edwin said, I didn't do anything illegal, so there's nothing wrong because cockfight, he's not illegal anymore. I hope I didn't get fit coiled there on Twitter. I'm sorry if I did, but that's pretty much it. Then this team's gonna get ripped to shrads at the deadline. You know what that means? What we're drinking eggs. Ryan Lambert's coming up. Ran Laber's com ut to do to drink those eggs? Might be the next simmers in the field. Stuff's looking good, suffling good. He's throwing strikes, unsure. Never there's no way to know Tobias Myers. Is he trade Tobias Myers? I just want him to come back up and just be a star of the regular I don't care about anything else anymore. Do the Mets trade Joanatan, No, do you move him in a package to go get a somebody who's got a little more cont like two three years of control. I could help over the next two years more.
Speaker 2: No shot, Just that's that's the kind of thing. I don't think he trade and that's it. That's to appreciated that much. Just chicken in, that's that's trade.
Speaker 1: Either. That could be a third episode we focus on soon players with team control. The met should look at Jorge Polanka you think he gets traded?
Speaker 2: Fuck that, I mean he looksx actuly gonna play soon few homers. Also, we're gonna the stoppable force will meet the movable objects as we had to. Then that next series started tomorrow home against the Royals. That's actually home this week. Maybe we'll try to get to a game.
Speaker 1: Oh they Oh we have softball tomorrow. Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna If you need tickets, shames you let me know.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 1: Okay. Then, so who's giving going to pitch tomorrow? It's a really good question you just had, which is a four game series. We used all the guys. Who is gonna pitch? They're gonna call Zach Thornton back up, has it been thirteen days. I don't think it has been thirteen days yet. So someone could get hurt and sent down, and then he could come back up when Coli gets bad because he did it on Friday.
Speaker 2: But that was also Who in the world is gonna pitch? That's his throat, that code will pitch a bunch. But I don't know who's gonna start. Could Tobias come back up?
Speaker 1: Maybe has he been down? No, he hasn't been down long enough either, gonna need I don't know. I really have no clue. Who's gonna pitch. Maybe it's uh the new guy wheelow down and bring up to warde again and you throw some innings. Yeah, maybe that's what you do.
Speaker 2: M check the transaction log, see when zach Thorton actually got sent down. Maybe this is the plan for him to have come back up.
Speaker 1: We did grab that guy, you see, Matt Selinger from the Tigers for cash. Apparently he's not bad and also has a knuckle variation that he throws. Maybe he just pitches tomorrow Wexler, Is he a workload guy? I shout, Daniel Wexler, I can't.
Speaker 2: Zach Thorton was optioned on June twenty seventh, So yeah, perfect Jack Thornton.
Speaker 1: It looks like he will be promoted tomorrow when he's allowed to be. Couldn't couldn't have done it any better myself. It's David Stearns through the kneel every time.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 2: So it looks like we get Saxtically we get Zach Thorton, go that saying a combination possibly against Seth Lugo. So nice homecoming for Seth Luca. Wh'll get a nice let video on the board. Oh yeah, of course, Christian Scott and ESPN doesn't have anyone for the Royals on Wednesday and then Thursday day game Sean and I Michael waka.
Speaker 1: Royals are also really bad? Rules are just The Royals are a sad team. They're, like I said, is the Mets right now, but for so many different reasons.
Speaker 2: They put up a fifteenth spag Christopher Sanchez though after a questionable scoring decision, because mlbn's their golden boy Jacob Zerawski to win the cy Young Jack hag Leon's awesome.
Speaker 1: Jack Cuming was awesome.
Speaker 2: He's got a little cold again, but he's still fantastic. I mean, cold's like relative to him being the hot center in baseball two weeks ago. But he's he's awesome, coming into his own awesome, just one of the best players in baseball.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun to watch him do Starling Marte home comings gonna be great. Oh, he's gonna get a video too. He hits in the hardy orders some days for them. It's fourth that really blew my mind. Carter Jensen, really good young catcher, really good young catcher.
Speaker 2: Not having the best season, but just kind of you know, rookie you sophomore slumping kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: I think that's it. Yeah, is it? They also had a weird Monday series ender against the Phillies. What's going on? What's going on with Major League Baseball in these schedules? Huh No, this is weird.
Speaker 2: The Royals have also had an absolute bullpen catastrophe this season.
Speaker 1: They nobody's pitching well except my guy, Daniel Lynch. They tried your boy, Nickmers. I don't think he is either. No, Tryers is hurt.
Speaker 2: They tried to plug up a lot of bullpen holes with veterans over the last few years, and almost every single guys on the part over the over the last bit.
Speaker 1: You were right about the Stromp falloff. Yeah, so Trump's dead. That was your guy, and you were like, but not with the Royals. It's over and ba and Bowlan has been way better with the Phillies, much better. Yeah, but that's I guess all we got for the Royals. I think I probably got frank See if you got Frankie Peppers. If not, that's okay too, Frankie. I don't know how we found an hour here because we're sick in the head I had. I had the rant about Boomer. James took his headphones off so he doesn't hear me. Hey, guys, leave a comment on this video and say congratulations to James for nothing. He has no clue, but uh yeah, he's loading up Frankie peppers. Now for those of you listening at home, got the headphones in, what, let's hear Frankie Peppers. Here comes frank I hope he left us. I'd love to hear Frankie before before I go to bed. You gotta edit this one. Yeah, that's all right. God, USA, what a disappointing game. Huh so bad Frankie pockets ouled me? Did you really foul? Though? It's funny, I mean even us A corner, US A corner. Who what the joke was that? I mean, like, that's exactly how I would have expect them to play coming into the World Cup. Then they filled those because they played the soft teams, and then that was an embarrassing show of ability that was that's that took US soccer backs some years. This is gonna be like nine people in the world that get this reference who are still listening to this right now. Nine actually might be stretched might be like two other ones.
Speaker 2: But it's when Ohio State was really good, churning twenty twenty get to the national title game after Justin Fields RiPPs Clemson apart, and they just.
Speaker 1: They still had was Lee Mikenberg. Was he the linebacker? Ohio State had a tradition where they just it was always a white male linebacker and Alabama they did the jet like the orbit or jet sweep. Every single player was with DeVonta Smith and the would either pitch it to him or they were throwing the ball on the flat.
Speaker 2: It was a linebacker running around to cover him. And it was like, this is the last thing you need to fix this if you actually really want to play with the real guys out there. And that's just what timm Ree was in this game. Like Belgium was like, is this a joke? Look at this four year old hes slow, he's small. He got bullied every single possession of.
Speaker 1: Least for Charlotte FC. How do we have all these guys playing in Europe in one of our main center backs is plaguing in the fucking MLS? Is that even the MLS? That's the second division? No, THAT'SLS. Okay, just has like forty teams now really so many? They expanded like they were adding like four teams a year for a while. Yeah. Again, it was fun for a moment for USA. The battle and stuff is hilarious now respect so fucked up now? Yeah, I was like a sorry, we messed up the World Cup for you guys. But here goes Frankie Peppers frank a Well, I don't like hearing Frankie minutes.
Speaker 3: Frankie. I don't know how a split can feel like you got swept, but this split where I feel like the Mets got swept, I don't know how I feel about that. I should talk to like a counselor, especially because after what the baseball team has put us through. My hot take for this time is all. The met should go to therapy. All right, gentlemen, take care, Let's go Mets.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's what.
Speaker 3: Let's go Mets.
Speaker 1: Frankie's hot sauce. Take need a little gen Melfie. She haven't been watched soprans. This is so funny. First two season soprans are incredible comedy, so good, so ridiculously good. All right, here's the He's the Mess Up podcast. That's the mess of podcast. Uh, that's it. Subscribe download, see you trade. Deadline is gonna be fun. It's gonna be fun. We'll get you guys here. Let's go Mets.
Speaker 3: M hm m hm, h m hmmmm m hm.
Speaker 1: And then the