Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we never throw the ball on third down near the goal line.
Speaker 2: Oh, Greg, Greg, I'm here in the.
Speaker 1: Chris Westleying podcast studio and so happy to be joined today by Jordan Rodrigue of The Athletic and Colleen Wolf.
Speaker 3: You had to just start that way.
Speaker 4: I'm in the power chair, by the way, and it feels great.
Speaker 3: I feel alive right now.
Speaker 5: So how are you doing.
Speaker 4: You know, hanging in, hanging on by a thread?
Speaker 3: What the heck? Everything?
Speaker 2: That game?
Speaker 3: That game was such a roller coaster, all of the lead changes.
Speaker 4: And then at the end, I was like, all right, this day has been extremely annoying. There's a lot of things that happened and I just didn't feel like dealing with. And then it seemed like, okay, now I'm home. I took my makeup off, I have dinner in front of me.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting on the couch.
Speaker 4: The Eagles they just took the lead again, and it seems like everything now is just.
Speaker 2: A long drives push. We were back.
Speaker 3: Loved it.
Speaker 4: Jason Kelsey's in the booth for like all of the tush pushes.
Speaker 3: Everything's lovely. He was in.
Speaker 4: Nick Foles is getting honored at halftime. I mean, this was a night for Eagles fans. It should have been. It felt that way. Everything was trending in that direction. Saquon Barkley, you know, he looked like really great, just like he did in the debut. And then yeah, I feel like it all turned around when Saquon had the touchdown that then wasn't the touchdown and was ruled at the half yard line, and then just things sort of started.
Speaker 2: To fall scarred.
Speaker 3: But it just wasn't It wasn't right. Things were off.
Speaker 5: Does it make you feel better or worse to know that with one minute and fifty six seconds left the uh the Falcons had a zero point so percentage percentage. I didn't have a chance. I saw that game all that according to next Gen statses just wondering, you know, is it better to rip it all out now or like just dwell, Like I'm just trying to feel you out here on this.
Speaker 4: I was so annoyed after that game, Like I didn't even know what to do with myself. I was just walking around my place talking, talking to myself, and I was like I and then I went outside because like the wind was banging something against the house. And I'm like tripping over things in the dark, so annoyed about the each yells at the wind.
Speaker 3: I was yelling at the wind.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: And you know, if if you listen to our our Monday night football recap with me and Nick Schuk, and yeah, that's a sad image. And yet when I think that's probably gonna repeated more and more as you.
Speaker 4: Get you know what though, I mean, you just gave Kirk Cousins too much time, too much. They marched right, It took like two seconds. Two seconds that Vic Fangio defense. I'm so annoyed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you know, if you're listening, might be like, you guys already hit the Monday night football game. Like, first of all, I like this, yeah, you know, we we were doing therapy last week. This feels like a little extension of that therapy. But the more I thought about it, I was like, I feel like the twenty twenty four season started on Monday night. I was pretty disappointed in that game too. I had the Eagles winning. I like, I kind of am a closet Eagles guy, Like I like that team, And it was just a moment where it was like, oh, yeah, this is what the NFL season is kind of about. And actually, then I thought back to it. The first two weeks didn't quite have those moments, those games like this is the game we're going to remember all season. And then I just thought about the poetry of it all, and how like the NFL has I hate this poem.
Speaker 2: A long life, I do too.
Speaker 1: But Nick Foles is there in the building, Okay, it's Nick Foles night. Meanwhile, Matt Ryan is on the Manning cast as it's happening, the old Falcons quarterback and saying, oh, when you're in a two minute drill, that's actually the easiest time for a new quarterback to because it's the simpler plays. That was a great point, Matt Ryan. And then I'm thinking back to when I was in the link last not last, but it's about you, it.
Speaker 2: Is about me.
Speaker 1: And that was Matt Ryan versus Nick Foles. And at the very end of the game, they're inside the ten yard line and Matt Ryan has Julio Jones why not I know exactly, and first down for a touchdown that would have ended Nick Foles and his Super Bowl run before it even happened. A couple of plays later, you know, they don't get it on fourth down either, and it's like Eagles Falcons either.
Speaker 2: It just it all was happening.
Speaker 4: I know you're right, everything would be so different. And I was thinking about Saquan in after playing so many years as a Giant against the Eagles in that building, and now this was his first night in prime time in an Eagles uniform, playing in front of like his new fan base, and he goes from almost scoring that touchdown he would have had a touchdown and would have been able to ice the game at the end, to having an absolutely horrific drop that then ended up costing the Eagles. And many other things played into that, but it was just such a turn of events, specifically for Saquon too.
Speaker 5: On the on the Falcon side too, the going into a two minute like that was the best thing that probably could have happened for Kirk Cousins, not just because of what you and Matt Ryan said about you're just not thinking, you're just yourself and unequal standing there in this conversation, but it also you could tell the way that he was dropping back, the way that he was executing, the way that he was getting down the field, he wasn't thinking about his leg every other throw he made in that game. He was very clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were pretty doubt on Kirk.
Speaker 1: You were like, let's you know, just reading between the lines that it was maybe not as encouraging a performance as people were trying to know.
Speaker 5: And but you know what, he looked great on that dray, that dry and again because he was he was playing instinctually and free. He wasn't thinking overthinking about his leg every time he dropped back, every time he hands off. Finally play action. Yeah, you know, all of those things that we didn't see in week one, but you could still tell he was moving and thinking and overthinking that entire game. And then forty seconds.
Speaker 4: Left the vibes vies are and then and then and then at the end, like after the game, you have Nick Sirianni talking about, oh, well, like you know on that call, there's a mechanism where if Jalen doesn't have what he wants, he just like takes the sack and falls down.
Speaker 3: Are you throwing Jalen under the bus?
Speaker 1: He's not. People I saw some of it, like why are you even saying that? Because it's obvious And the question was asked to him and they even said that on the broadcast, like of course he says if if, if it's not there, just slide all right, well we'll move on for your sake for years.
Speaker 3: This is set a great tone.
Speaker 5: You know she's Judge later, right, So that is why it look really nice today.
Speaker 2: Is in the power chair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're watching on YouTube, we appreciate it all the new subscribers and you can like and check us out there. But yeah, for everyone, it is Judge Connie Day, so we wanted to put her in the powerchair for later. But first we're going to do just a little bit of news.
Speaker 2: Found out on.
Speaker 1: Tuesday afternoon just before we tape that Tua Tongue of Iloa is indeed going to injured reserve are Ian Rappaport had that first. That means that Tua is not eligible to return to the field until week eight at the earliest. The Dolphins are prioritizing his health, according to Ian, and there is no timeline being placed on his potential return, but the earliest possible return would be week eight and that's four games. And that's Skyler Thompson trying to keep this season aflow.
Speaker 5: Look at the language on this even even in the leak of it or even in what will officially become the announcement from the team, because sometimes you can place a player, like with an ankle injury, for example, on injured reserve and immediately have the like little forward slash designated to return also assigned to them. It's not officially designating to them to return. It sort of puts it in the ether. It sort of puts it in the air that like, hey, this isn't season ending with this. You could tell the language is just a lot more careful. The language of it itself is saying, Okay, he's going on injured reserve, and this in a way protects him maybe from himself a little bit, because there were also leaks and reports about how he's not planning on walking away, and Mike McDaniel's been very emphatic about how, hey, he needs to make his decision, take the time with the doctors. But when you are designated to injured reserve, there's nothing you can do about it. You got to get better, you got to rest, you got to get better, you got to figure some stuff out. And then not immediately placing that sort of language run but then you know that also sort of sends a very subtle signal that like, hey, give it time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I saw this, that Okay, they're obviously protecting Tua, but it's almost like when you're in an argument with someone and you give yourself let's just like cool down, let's not make any important decisions right now, or rash decisions right now. Let's all just like take a time out and come back to this. And this is just a prolonged time out for Tua at this point, and who knows what he's going to decide, But I just have to think being such a competitive player, I don't know if he's going to retire, and that is something that he's going to have to figure out with his family and his teammates and everything else. But I'm glad that they're doing this and putting him on IR so he can't make any decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a little different situation than the last time. Yeah, you know he had this concussion. He was in the locker room on Monday. He was in the locker room last week. They said he was in good spirits. He's talking to his teammates. Not all concussions are equal, Not all concussion histories are equal, and so it's up to Tua, but it's more up to the doctors, and they, you know, did do further evaluations and after those further evaluations telling that they put him on injured reserve. But you know, some people like Derek Carr had two concussions in pretty quick succession last year. I feel like, no like and that happens and then even just returned to the field. So not every situation is the same, but we've obviously followed the to a situation very closely. In his you can even just see on the field, it's a very serious situation. And you do wonder if the situation for their team is a factor on whether he returns to the field or not. You would hope not that. Ultimately it's going to be about health first and foremost. They're at Seattle this week, Tennessee, at the Patriots, then a bye, and then at the Colts, so they will have Skyler Thompson try to, you know, pilot a team that to me had some real concerns over the first two weeks, even if to a tongue of Iiloa was healthy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the offensive line is in dire straits. The receivers don't look fully healthy. It's just, you know, there's already concerns with this team, and particularly the main concern and the major thing is that Tua figures out what the steps will be for him to be okay.
Speaker 4: What if Ryan Tannehill still out there, yeah, free agent? What if Ryan Tannehill completes the circle goes back to Miami.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem like they're interested. And maybe he wouldn't be like a great fit for what you know, Mike McDaniel does No, I don't know. I mean, I that would be up to Mike McDaniel. I could imagine it. I mean, he was pretty good in play action and all that.
Speaker 5: I think Danna Hill would be a fit.
Speaker 1: But he's also not Ryan Tannehill that you remember his last handful of games for the Titans, and I was a big Ryan Tannehill guy overall, Like he was not the same guy they signed Tyler Huntley, who's going to back up Skylar Thompson. I don't know if the difference between Tyler Huntley, Skylar Thompson and Ryan tannel was big enough in Miami's mind to bother because he would cost a lot of it.
Speaker 5: There's also like the matter of like what does Ryan what would Ryan Tannehill want? He was sort of public earlier this year about it being if he was going to go somewhere, it would have to be the right deal. It's like, well, if you're not desperate enough to offer him a bump, a little bump in that money, then I mean his speculation obviously, but it's also two people get to decide on that it's.
Speaker 2: A good position to be in.
Speaker 1: Ryan Tannehill only come for like the absolute right situation. I guess Tom Brady is not returning. That was the one I was more interesting, Greg, how do hope I uh would be spicy? Bryce Young? We talked about it on Monday Night's show, but Jordan, I, you know I thought you had. Yeah, we text points about about the whole Bryce Young fiasco. I'm ready to call it a fiasco because I have my doubts that he's going to play again for the Panthers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think two things will happen now. One is really irritating and the other is super intriguing. I think the irritating thing is you'll start to particularly this weekend when Andy Dalton returns as a starter and then through the week and even frankly up to the trade deadline. Most likely you'll start to have these reports leak out. It'll, you know, oftentimes it'll be like the coach is talking to some one or the assistant or the GM or someone in the building is talking to someone about how it was the best situation for quote unquote the locker room. How it certainly is very obvious that Bryce Young was not giving them a better chance of winning than they had already. He was not playing well, so let's hold that as a truth. But he's playing worse than twenty twenty three. But also, the same head coach who is making this decision two games in took this job with all that tape that was available in twenty twenty two, in twenty excuse me, in twenty twenty three, and took this job knowing that his number one task was to be a to either get a fair assessment of Bryce Young in live action football and b to fix him. There was like a huge fanfare. I have not seen it. I haven't seen any development in Bryce Young and like he in fact, he looks like he's regressed a little bit. And I think that, you know, I think there's less even less help in that offense. But that doesn't excuse Bryce Young for for any of the poor play. But it's like, you took the job with the premise of fixing the quarterback, and you can back right out of that situation. So can the owner in the GM who made the decision, enabled the decision in the case of Dan Morgan, who wasn't the GM at the time. And like you've you've ripped through multiple coaching staffs, like trying to figure this thing out, ripped through multiple pro scouting department personnel, ripped through and like at a certain point, you know you're basically able to just pull the old switcheraroo two games in and and maybe it's for the best of for Bryce's confidence, maybe there's a lot of other reasons involved. But there you're gonna start seeing this irritating thing where it's like the coach who took the job to fix the player is suddenly completely removed from the situation in which the player was failed to be fixed, if that makes sense. And that's that's the irritating thing, and it's the intriguing thing in a minute, but I want to hear you guys think.
Speaker 3: Of it well, no, it's just that was why. That's why they brought him in.
Speaker 4: He had this track record with Baker Mayfield and Gino Smith before that, and I guess in all of this, the one thing I've learned is that the Panthers are an organization that has patients. I mean, are you kidding me? Two weeks in this is what you do? I understand this is a bad situation for Bryce Young. He looks like he has lost all of his confidence, and honestly, who wouldn't at this point. But they made all of these quote unquote additions and put in all of these resources in the off season to help out Bryce Young. Traded for Deontay Johnson, drafted Xavier Lguette, they tried to improve the interior of that offensive line. Nothing has helped bring in Dave Canalis all of it, and it just feels so reactionary to do this eighteen starts into his career, but also two starts into the season.
Speaker 1: I think it was two things can be true. I think it was the right decision. Yeah, I agree right now, and that they deserve a good chunk of the blame too for not being able to deliver on what Dave Canalis promised essentially when he took the job, and not you know, building the right structure around him. Ollie Connelly who's been on this show a couple of times and does a great job. You should check out his read optional substack. And I'm going to take his point here, which before the season started he thought this offense made no sense for Bryce Young because it's like a Russell Wilson Gino Smith, like you know, County on a guy to be able to throw the ball deep, and that you know, just wasn't going to be his strength. I don't know what his strengths were, but it would be a sort of a point guard type of offense where the ball's coming out quick and you know you're you're an empty and all this stuff, and maybe that would have its problems as well, but that he just didn't seem like a fit and they were trying to fit him into an offense where they need a guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, literally doesn't happen trying to force a square peg into a round hole. You can't come in fans a blaring whatever, like sirens going off, like celebrating. You know that you're going to come in and fix somebody. If you're fitting it. Like I agree with Allie's point on that, And it's a great, great sub stack. I read it all the time, I'm a subscriber, but like it. It's as if you're fitting a square peg into a round hole and not figuring out how to reshape the peg or the hole that at the foundation point, Like that's the problem if and and I think it's the height of hubris. Also if you're going to come in and be a first time head coach and not know that you actually won't get any time to develop the quarterback. Those guys have no time to do anything. They have no time to actually sit and coach from the ground up. That there are so many other things you have to do as the head coach of a football team. You are running the organization less so the time that you're taking throughout every piece of the week to game plan and to strategize, and to do media and to sit in production meetings and to run meeting other meetings and to you're not I'm saying for any coach, not just this one, for any coach, they need to know this when they're going into it, exactly how little time you're going to get to spend with that quarterback if you think you are going to quote unquote fix or develop someone. I think the intriguing thing about all of this, I do applaud if they think that this is not a situation that can continue. I do applaud the fact that they're just making a quick decision and going to try to move on, especially before the trade deadline. I feel like making this decision now. The intriguing thing about this, for my second point, is that this sends a signal to other teams. Other teams, by the way, in a league that is filled with people who think I can fix him like we did an entire segment on a couple of weeks ago, and people who eyeball the cheap contract. And I wouldn't be surprised if benching him is in part a signal that he is open and available for trade. The other part is benching him is because he was playing terribly and the offense was not a fit for him, and his confidence was shot. And if you do move him, I do applaud you know, the owner in the GM for that, because if when you mess up so obviously and again, you run through all of those staffers just to fix this one decision that the organization made. You have to move quickly, and you have to move without regret and without looking back, and you have to immediately set a new course in a new path. And that might be what's happening here.
Speaker 3: This is going to go down as one of the worst trades in NFL.
Speaker 4: H Yeah, the fact that they still have a second round pick that they're sending to Chicago in this year's draft.
Speaker 1: They're still Here's the thing, Like most almost every team was going to take him. So I put this trade in a slightly different bucket than let's say that the Shaun Watson trade or the Russell Wilson trade. Those to me are truly disastrous trades because we you kind of knew what you were getting. Most teams have traded this amount of player now that DJ Moore throwing it in was a little crazy, But the evaluation was the problem. And I also think multiple things can true be true. I see a lot of the draft knick types getting really mad about how.
Speaker 2: The Panthers have blown this at every turn.
Speaker 1: That is true, But I think it's also very possible to likely that everyone's evaluation of Bryce Young was pretty off, that he should not have been the number one overall pick, that he doesn't have a lot of special skills, and that what you saw on him was wrong ultimately, and there will be enough people out there that still believe in their evaluation to make a trade possible.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I looked, and I thought, who's been as bad, you know, on their first contract as a rookie and then got traded similar to this, Josh Rosen is really the only one statistically that's even in the same ballpark. The Dolphins actually gave up a late second for Josh Rosen. I forgot that, Yeah, that it was that good of a pick. I don't think you could get that for Bryce Young. I think he's like a mid round pick, which is crazy, like a fourth that could turn into a third. You're not going to get much for Bryce young age.
Speaker 5: But you have to try. And that's again why this is so public right now and happening right now. You have to try because also if you are truly saying and there's also some chatter sort of circulating about this over there as well, if this is what's best for Bryce as well as what's best for your football team, and it is the position for the football team, let's be clear on that. But you also can't say that and then have him sitting around as the backup or in your locker room like as a reminder, and then also continue to kill his confidence by showing up to this place every single day like you have to move him.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're gonna have to help Panthers fans again like you did a couple of episodes.
Speaker 5: I want better for them. They deserve better.
Speaker 3: Settle in. It's gonna be a long ride.
Speaker 5: I want them to have joy. I want them to have joy.
Speaker 1: At least they have their first round pick this year, and it might be a high one. Let's take a quick break and when we return, it is the return.
Speaker 3: Of Judge conn coming back.
Speaker 6: Everyone is talking about the honorable Colleen Wool, the go to voice for everything football, real cases, real solution.
Speaker 2: She's Judge Connie.
Speaker 4: All right, everybody, welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the courtroom.
Speaker 3: Bailiff. I believe you have some things to say here.
Speaker 2: Please rise, Okay.
Speaker 3: Yep, we're gonna We're gonna do it. We're going through.
Speaker 5: Is the height of Hubris, Well not you, You're not the height of Hubrit.
Speaker 6: It's all right, Order order the Court of the Third Judicial Circuit Civil Division is now in session. The Honorable Judge Connie presiding.
Speaker 3: All right, everyone, but the jury may be seated.
Speaker 4: As it turns out, I am judge and jury here, So mister Roberts, please swear in the jury.
Speaker 6: Please raise your right hand. Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will truly listen to this case and render a true verdict and a fair sentence as to this defendant?
Speaker 2: I do. You may be seated.
Speaker 4: All right, here we go. Thank you guys for coming in here. I'd like to wrap things up by four o'clock. I got a detective I gotta meet.
Speaker 3: So listen.
Speaker 2: A lot of traffic out there on prairies.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, poor lanes down to one. Don't even get me started. They have no one directing traffic out there.
Speaker 5: Objection baiting the judge and jury.
Speaker 3: All right, sustained.
Speaker 4: So I see today's case is the passing game versus Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 3: Is the prosecution ready?
Speaker 2: I am all right?
Speaker 3: Is the defense ready? Sure? All right? Let's be good.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: I want to take you back to twenty twenty, a magical time justin Herbert's rookie year. I mean there were some issues with twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest, not a magical year, mister Rosenthal.
Speaker 1: I want to point out in that twenty twenty season, Justin Herbert had the most yards passing per game per start in NFL history. I want to point out that he had the most passing touchdowns for a rookie in NFL history, more than Andrew Luck, more than Russell Wilson, more than Peyton Manning. There was a guy back then that I enjoyed watching that I think all of America enjoyed watching that threw the ball with a little daring do There was that like sixty five yard passed from the Bucks against the Bucks while he's getting absolutely crushed in air to Jalen Geiton down for a touchdown. There were all these bombs to Mike Williams like he was the man. Now I want to take you to today. The Chargers have attempted forty six forward passes in the season. They have run the ball seventy one times. Jim Harbaugh came in talking about balance, balance bout, like where is the balance? It's all running And then I can here the defense talking now, yes, but they're efficient, and oh yeah, Harbaugh loves to slap his shoulder pads. No, they're not efficient. He's throwing the ball worse than he's ever thrown the ball. Six yards per attempt, twentieth in the NFL, in EPA, twentieth in success rate. There isn't a stat you can find of Justin Herbert throwing the ball that is positive. They have turned him into Justin Fields throwing the ball, but without all the rushing fun. Let's go back to twenty twenty because we're here in the Chris Westling podcast courtroom. That season, I had the fortune of driving our friend Chris back from Chemo to his house every week. Chris was still writing QB Index at the time. A lot of those conversations were about football, and Justin Herbert was a man as a rookie that was making us feel something we would talk about Justin Herbert saying like, this is the quarterback since we've been doing this job that moved us the most. So you can talk about your wins and your losses, but he connected with us on a spiritual football entertainment level, and this is an entertain product.
Speaker 2: Now they've made him boring. I want that old Justin back and Jim Harbaugh is not giving it.
Speaker 4: Okay, are there any with the with the defense like to speak now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, aside from the clear emotional manipulation of the previous argument, because Soup can picture it right, incredibly moved by that it's being weaponized in this case against this argument twenty twenty. I recall also the time that the Chargers went seven and nine. You know this this arguer lawyer, I don't know the right word, but this person arguing things right now absolutely loves watching Justin Herbert throw the football. But it sounds like the argument on the other side is being made despite the disguise of true feelings and empathy in actuality for the sake of his perhaps fantasy football team or one of his few. Because he doesn't interrupting, interrupting some sort of penalty on that, you know, because regardless of he's thinking about it from that perspective. Less so a game strategy perspective, you want balance. Let's talk about pin and pull and counter and duo and the gorgeous aerial footage of these tight ends who can block so effectively. They are restoring balance to this offense of line that will need to protect Justin Herbert. Should they actually play like a real football team and need to come out of a deficit and throw the football. This offensive line, these blockers, this run game will protect the Justin Herbert who recently was missing practice due to plantar fasciis. Daniel Popper of the Athletics said he told reporters that he would be managing this all season. So I ask you this, why don't you want to protect Justin Herbert? Instead of thinking about the flash of the ball sailing through the air, look at the aerial shots of this run game. Look at the beauty of the old school.
Speaker 1: Jim Harbaugh sold this whole idea a great offensive line argument.
Speaker 5: He's already closed.
Speaker 3: I've already I've reached a decision, all right.
Speaker 4: The court does not need to hear anything further on this. After not a lot of deliberating at all, I think here that the passing game versus Jim Harball. Harball is not guilty, fortunately, of making Justin Herbert boring because they are a two and oh team and they are fun to watch, and just because Justin Herbert isn't exciting, Jim Harball comes in.
Speaker 3: He's exciting. He fills that gap for me, so look.
Speaker 1: Hon rightame chection, there is no way your honor as watched.
Speaker 3: Are you questioning the court.
Speaker 2: I'm exciting.
Speaker 3: I find you in conject of the court.
Speaker 5: They make me feel alive.
Speaker 1: The thirtieth in past block win rate, Jim Harbough was selling this whole idea that the offensive line is going to be affected.
Speaker 5: Number is skewed a little bit because of the low sample size, maybe.
Speaker 1: Maybe thirty first in run block winter. I'm just saying, like, I has their offensive line even played that well, I just want to see an effect, Like, give me at least an effect of Herbert.
Speaker 3: He hasn't even dridden thirty passing yards.
Speaker 4: That was the second lowest in any game ever that Herbert has played. It's a different justin Herbert. It's a different year, and there's been a league wide shift in going towards the running game. So it's not just the Chargers that are doing this, and.
Speaker 1: It's and you're gonna have to throw the ball at some point for them to be the team that they want to be. But yeah, you mentioned two hundred and seventy four yards combined passing.
Speaker 2: He averaged more than that per game.
Speaker 5: And I'm just saying, I just remember a couple of years ago when people were like frothing at the mouth to get Joe Lombardi and Kellen Moore up out of there, and like this is this is a different kind of football. Beauty looks different. That's fair, every Jody, We are all in football God's creatures, and all of our run schemes, in passing schemes are yeah, full and flowers don't compete with each other.
Speaker 1: I just need or Sane Sneiken was his offensive coordinator back then. Anthony Lynn his coach, and yeah, he was really thinking about those rides with Wes as I'm watching this Panthers Chargers game on condensed, mostly for it is really nice and and the coaches stuff, and because I was watching because of Bryce Young, and then I'm watching and I'm just like, what happened to that guy?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Because we all thought, we meaning me and Wes, that like this is going to be the next great quarterback. And he's been very good. He's been unquestionably a top ten quarterback, maybe top seven or eight, and we've blamed a lot of what's going on around him, and I think he's gonna get there with Jim Harbaugh, at some point they're.
Speaker 5: Gonna have to throw the ball, and he will. I know this offense is built to have his back when he does have to start throwing the ball. That's the that's the foundation they're laying right now. It's not that they're never going to run the ball until he disappointed.
Speaker 2: Can I be disappointed?
Speaker 3: Can be disappointed?
Speaker 1: But legally, if I if I was telling Wes this is how the next five years of Herbert's going to go, I think it'd be like, oh, I well.
Speaker 5: I think we all are like, man, just throw the ball a hundred times a game if you're justin Herbert. But at the same time, that's not what's happening here.
Speaker 4: Working the way that they're doing it right now now and now they they play the Steelers this week, which you know, final score prediction nine to seven.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it. Who wins?
Speaker 5: That's beautiful in its own way.
Speaker 3: Not Greg, he doesn't win. Okay, Uh, miss rod Reeg.
Speaker 4: I believe that you are up next uh in your case for uh why don't you tell the court?
Speaker 3: Why don't you enlighten the court.
Speaker 5: The case sport which oh and two football team is going to turn things around a case by the way in which the judge herself and the jury herself, uh huh, has made a significant preseason investment in a certain O and two team that we must decide now. So here are the list.
Speaker 4: Of This is very difficult for the judge to internalize.
Speaker 2: The court.
Speaker 5: Yes, so here here are the list of oh and two teams. Okay, So the Ravens, the Panthers, the Bengals, the Broncos, the Colts pause for effect, the Jaguars, the Rams, the Giants, the Titans. I argue that of any of these zero to two teams, and because I'm doing this a little for the show as well, that the Bengals will be the team to turn this round. But I authorize the judge and the jury in this case if she so chooses to stick to her guns from the preseason prediction that the Indianapolis Colts would be a super superstar team this year, I authorize the judge to overrule both arguments. My argument is that the Bengals will be on the team of this group to turn this around. I need to see more data on Joe Burrow, but he played well against the Chiefs, as we hoped that he would, talked about on this show. But three of their next four games are Washington, Carolina and the New York Giants. They could at least be three three through six games, So I'm going to keep it simple. That's okay, simple arm.
Speaker 3: Well, miss Roderigue.
Speaker 4: I would say here that the Bengals are guilty of finding success.
Speaker 3: I think that that will happen.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, the Court is a little upset that you are playing on the emotional heartstrings of the judge and Jerry, and I was already annoyed off the top of the show because of the evils.
Speaker 5: Greg did that, Okay, Greg did.
Speaker 3: Now you both have crossed me.
Speaker 2: I am wondering, like.
Speaker 4: I am so upset by what I have watched from the Colts. I I cannot render any type of decision at this point on the Colts because I want to believe in them still and I can't. I can't just say no, it's them. But what I've seen, the evidence that's out there is really pointing to this season not being a great one.
Speaker 5: I will say before Greg makes his argument. And I did note that he started to interrupt you but then pulled back. Yeah, he was trying to, like, you know, Curry favor. I think on that one. It's noted by the four five seasons, only two teams, the twenty twenty three Texans and the twenty twenty two Bengals, have made the playoffs after zero and two starts, and so the Bengals have been here before. Their schedule is a walk through a spring valley over the next few games, and I think they can do this again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of the argument for the Bengals coming into the season was this fourth place schedule that they were going to get with really easy games like starting out at home against the Patriots. You gotta be worried about just chalking up wins on a you know, chocol.
Speaker 5: I think we all knew because you don't stop talking about it that the Patriots were you have a good Ah.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Even think the prosecutor here understands sort of how this segment works, like who is the defendant?
Speaker 2: Who's uh?
Speaker 3: I am judge and jury the case? That's what I know.
Speaker 2: You get to decide to sack the courtroom. Yeah, I think it.
Speaker 1: Would be the raven The Ravens have the twenty audacity twenty twenty three MVP. Okay, if you simulated that game. They do this football the former Football Outsiders. Now they're on FDN where it's like probability to win. If you look at what happened in Sunday's game and you simulated it, like the Ravens easily outplayed the Raiders for all that game.
Speaker 2: It was a very fluky game.
Speaker 1: These things happen when Gardner Minshew goes to Baltimore for some reason, it happened to year ago when he was a member of the Colts one of the craziest games of that season.
Speaker 2: And more to the point, it's September. These first couple of weeks are often wise, and the Ravens are consistently an organization that improves, especially defensively, as the season wheres on. I'm not worried about the data.
Speaker 5: Tells us that since twenty fifteen, seventy four teams have started zero to two, and those seventy four eight have made the playoffs. The two to do it recently. I have previously named so, yeah, it's not that that OHO and two starts are actually not fluky. Based on yeah it is, I also think, thank you, I also think that that's that is fluky because it's counting sixteen game seasons.
Speaker 1: To me, that only that's that is only kind of relevant in the last three years.
Speaker 2: So throw it out. It's out of art.
Speaker 5: So the twenty twenty two Bengals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would stay, would wor Yeah, the Bengals always start slow. They'll they'll figure it out. They'll get it going. I think the Ravens will too.
Speaker 3: The Colts just really not.
Speaker 5: You know. I dangled it as an option because I believe in the empowerment that you have as miss Rodrigue.
Speaker 3: I know what you are doing here, all right.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't get I wouldn't give up on the Colts.
Speaker 1: The defense is more concerning to me than what's going on with Anthony Richardson. And the running game has looked pretty good. They've just missed a couple of plays. They were right there with the Texans. I think their offense is going to be fine. The defense is a little all right, we.
Speaker 3: Got to move on to our next case here, Okay.
Speaker 4: On the docket, we have the Super Bowl versus the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 1: She didn't even make a ruling because the oh yeah, he was so vague. I said that, She said, Jordan, that was like Connie.
Speaker 3: Style finding success.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 5: I'm two and now I just want to let you know.
Speaker 3: All right, super Bowl versus you're not gonna.
Speaker 1: Win this one, all right, I am gonna make a case for the Saints as Super Bowl contenders.
Speaker 2: I barely need to make a case.
Speaker 1: I'll just show you the newspaper if those still exist, Like, just show you the facts. The fourth best DVOA through two weeks. Ever, that's just total efficiency offense defense. Number one in offense by far, almost double the rest of the league, number three on defense. If you look at the rest of the top tens in terms of the first two weeks of the season, of like who's been the best through two weeks, the average win total for those ten teams over the course of a season is thirteen. So by average, if you start this well, you end up about a thirteen and three thirteen and four season. Any team that wins thirteen games is a Super Bowl contender. The eye test, it's just there. They're cohesive. You watch the running game, They're just moving. It's fantastic. They've got leaders on the defense with the Mario Davis Honey Badger. A Lante Taylor is playing, oh yeah, out of his mind. And then there's something they call in New Orleans, you know, creole culture, land yap.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just just like a little extra.
Speaker 3: Mister Rosenthal, can you explain to the court what this is?
Speaker 1: Okay, It's it's like Supreme Justice Potter Stewart said, what land yap is rather lan yap is. Yeah, it's just a little extra. It's like a little some a little extra something could be like a little extra gift.
Speaker 3: You how is that spelled exactly?
Speaker 2: La n G?
Speaker 1: And I A ppe pretty good. I don't know if that was right or not, but I tried just a little something extra. And this team has that. You can just tell by looking at him. They've just got a certain energy, a certain sort of juice. It's like, like I was saying, Supreme Justice Potter Stewart, Yeah, one of your old co workers said about porn. Actually in the nineteen sixty four Supreme Court case Yacabellas versus Ohio.
Speaker 2: You know what, when you see it, and we all see it with this.
Speaker 3: Saints team, what a great reference. Okay, So miss Rodrigue.
Speaker 5: Oh actually Greg's arguing against himself.
Speaker 3: Oh wonderful.
Speaker 5: So he'll win.
Speaker 1: One, Okay, I don't know. I'm torn about this Saint's team. I'm gonna argue against the Saints team too.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is so good?
Speaker 2: What is happening here?
Speaker 3: Cook?
Speaker 2: We're an extended preseason.
Speaker 1: Everyone talks about like the preseason matters, like I might really gonna fall for this Saint's team.
Speaker 2: That two weeks ago, no one liked this Saint's team.
Speaker 1: They were totally forgot, and the coaches all wanted, you know, the fans all wanted the coaches fired. No one was happy with Derek Carr. It's Derek Carr. We do have like a ten year track record here with Derek Carr. Do we really want to believe in it? Trevor Penning everyone's talking about him is like, okay, it's this great rejuvenation story pff as and ranked fifty eighth out of seventy one qualifiers in terms of his pass protection. At some point, they are gonna have to pass protect and not just win.
Speaker 2: You scored thirty.
Speaker 3: All over the place.
Speaker 1: I mentioned that Cboa stat earlier that some of the teams ahead of them on that list include the twenty nineteen Patriots, remember them Tom Brady's last season there They started out seven and zero. They totally petered out the Miami Dolphins over the last few years. You remember, like how they started a house on fire. You know, these teams were interesting, they were kind of fun. They weren't real Super Bowl contenders in the again, this is just a fun story. Furthermore, the secuter went to Tulane and had season tickets to the Saints back in the nineties, So he's biased.
Speaker 4: Can the judge and jury object here? And I'd like to object to that.
Speaker 5: I'm dying to see who wins. I hope it's okay.
Speaker 4: So, mister Rosenthal, what you're saying is Derek Carr will finally get a playoff win in.
Speaker 3: This Yeah, correct, Okay.
Speaker 4: I will say that the court did think coming into the season that the Saints seem to be one of the most boring teams in the NFL in terms of pop and storylines and excitement, and then once the season started, it's been the complete opposite. No offense has looked better now. Clint Kubiak is being crowned as like the best play caller. Derek Carr is being aggressive, he's taking shots down field. Their offensive line can cover up some of those liabilities in the past. Protection with the ground game that they have, and Alvin Kamara has been insane. He's been great. Sure the defense is older, but they're wiser. And you mentioned so many of these players. Cam Jordan obviously is a cornerstone of this defense, but don't.
Speaker 3: Forget about to Mario Davis.
Speaker 4: He seems to be one of the most underrated linebackers in the entire league.
Speaker 3: They're stacked with versatile dbs.
Speaker 4: I can't decide how winnable this division is because the Bucks and Baker Mayfield they look good again, and then what the Falcons did to the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Can't really talk about it. I shudder, I shudder.
Speaker 1: But he's a super Bowl contender though, just the super Bowl content super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I hope you win this, Greg contender.
Speaker 4: We judge and jury in the case of the Super Bowl versus the New Orleans Saints find the Saints guilty of being contenders.
Speaker 2: Yeah you won.
Speaker 5: Here we go Rosenthal v. Rosenthal.
Speaker 2: What a joy?
Speaker 4: What a win for you to watch Greg go at Greg's I got to witness that.
Speaker 5: I feel joy.
Speaker 1: This is that team that's like, I don't I don't know what to do with this, Like two weeks, and that's why I was like, when I thought about them, it's like you could present either side so strongly, but they they have been fun.
Speaker 2: Like it.
Speaker 1: If you wanted to make a negative, maybe you could say Clint Kobiat first week's Panthers, and then second week is Mike Zimmer, a guy he saw operate in Minnesota when he was his offensive coordinator for three years in the building.
Speaker 2: Uh, but they passed the eye test.
Speaker 4: I like being so you know how much you love the Saints too, Like when the state, when you talk about New Orleans, it's just a whole separate thing.
Speaker 5: I just think it's like, it's great to approach this the same you would on like Pink Floyd on DVD Papa Gummy and enjoy the ride.
Speaker 2: Mmmmmm hm.
Speaker 5: This team is fun, so fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have a final case.
Speaker 4: We're getting right up against it, so we're not gonna take a whole lot of time on this one. I'm just going to throw that out there right now. It is the postseason versus the NFC West.
Speaker 3: I believe it was.
Speaker 5: Roderick correct, and I think there's been a shift in hierarchy due to the combination of multi week injuries suffered by previous favorites Rams and forty nine ers to key players, and a increase in productivity and performance and excitingness excitabilityness in the Seahawks and the Arizona Cardinals. I am arguing today to the judge, the jury and also against Greg that the Seahawks and the Cardinals are going to be the premier teams in the NBA WHOA down the stretch. And I also wonder, Judge Connie, if weeks twelve and fourteen, we'll even decide the NFC West Coals to teams play each other, and again in consideration of old TI week losses to previous favorite star players. Gino Smith is playing lights out. He had probably his best game. Greg and I were texting about it when I was watching. Greg was talk you know, it just was like one of those do you like set a match in and just like light it off and it just goes right and so but he played with and I even text him I said, I like to kind of keep an unbiased, like middle perspective when I'm looking at quarterbacks. And I felt alive watching Giano Smith play this last week. He was pressured so fast at nearly constantly on his dropbacks, but he showed no rattle, good decision, good decisions, mostly sharp, really clean throws. The manipulation and the control he showed over the way that they go tempo, the way that they move around some of the formations in that offense. He's feeding the ball around to multiple receivers. Ninth in EPA per play through two weeks, per drop back for two weeks, and fifth despite that pressure and success rate fifty one point three percent. And then there's Kyler Murray and the Cardinals offense, and that, by the way, the Seahawks defense will keep growing up. The adjustments Mike McDonald made at halftime against New England I thought were really impressive. They basically took away the only way they were getting gashed. And they said, all right, you're gonna run the ball against us. We understand that we're going to take away your passing game. And then by moving some different assignments around. And then Kyler Murray and the Arizona Cardinals. You know, I don't know that the defense will sustain what it did against a very depleted RAMS team, but this offense is built not just to win right now, but also to win in November and December and January and February because of all the different ways that they can run the probery and the way that Kyler Murray can create on the run. I've not seen him play like this in person yet, and he is. He is alive in Drew Petson's offense. Drew Petson calls a smart game. He understands how to attack defenses, and they're moving this heavy personnel run game all around the line in terms of their attack points on these defenders. Yes, the Rams defensive line is terrible and it showed on in this game, but they can do this to opponents we've seen. We've seen this down the back half of last season and they came out swinging. I think that these two teams are are taking over as the premier teams in the NFC West parts this year alone. And Kyler is third in EPA per drop back in the NFL zero point four zero and then success percentage. He's also third fifty four point seven success rate on passing plays. I mean, that's just outstanding through two games. I understand, but the way that these guys play is sustainable.
Speaker 2: You're honor.
Speaker 1: The prosecutor has a case of having too much dip on her chip.
Speaker 2: I mean she said February.
Speaker 5: Well, let me be clear. Let me be clear, February Claire, you can they order order my god, maybe clear. So we're not misleading here. Running the ball in that fashion is what wins you give.
Speaker 1: The only way you can play in February is if you were going to make the Super Bowl. And I can understand saying that the Seahawks are a real pro season threat. I agreed with that before the season even started, but to essentially replace the forty nine Ers with the Cardinals is a step too far. This defense is very shorthanded up front and on the back end, two very important parts of your defense. I would say, among the least talented defenses in the entire NFL. Totally agree that it could be a sneaky playoff contender, but that doesn't mean that the forty nine ers are going to fall apart. Despite all the injuries for the forty nine ers, may I present honor some players still on the field for the forty nine ers. Sure, Brandon Ayuk second team All Pro last year. Juwan Jennings sneaky great wide receiver in terms of blocking, Trent Williams, the best tackle on the planet. All these players would be better than just about anyone on the Cardinals except for Kyler Murray. Hey, how about the quarterback who led the number one EPA P play offense in the NFL last year and delivered series after series in the freaking Super Bowl when he needed to to try to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: That's brock Perty He's still around.
Speaker 1: George Kittle, Nick Bosa, like Fred Warner, these are all pros, after all pros. This team has had injuries before tar various words, and they have a great coaching staff, including Kyle Sanahan. I hear you on the whole Seahawks. I even like so acquiesced the Seahawks. It's not the Cardinals, says. He even says the real postseason threats. I would even go with Seahawks. Cardinals and forty nine ers are real posts.
Speaker 5: I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: But wording is important in the courtroom, and I think it was just a little.
Speaker 2: To lose, especially when that February well came out.
Speaker 5: Okay, the February word that was disinterpreted by my opponent here by the way, I'll allow it.
Speaker 3: I will allow it.
Speaker 5: If not they've not dealt with They've dealt with injuries, yeah, but they've not dealt with achilles tendonitis for their star player. That's all I'm saying. That's that's a sketchy one.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the Cardinals and the Seahawks they are for sure real threats in the division, partially because they are healthy right now.
Speaker 3: The Rams have just been obliterated with injuries.
Speaker 4: This is already Sean mcvay's what first time starting zero to two, probably oh to three because they're playing the Niners this week, but you know, we'll see crazier things have happened.
Speaker 3: San Francisco feels a.
Speaker 4: Little bit off, but I would like to attribute that to the injuries. Jordan Mason has done an admirable job, admirable job.
Speaker 3: Filling in for Christian McCaffrey, but just obviously not the same the defense.
Speaker 4: We'll still keep them in games, but maybe maybe they're not the threat that we thought they were. But I'm just saying as where we stand right now after two weeks. The Seahawks, though, that defense looks completely different from last season. They are so aggressive, they're flying to the ball. Like you said, those halftime adjustments were insane. That defensive line is so good when they are healthy. They are absolutely stacked with talent. And then Gino Smith he is supremely underrated, Greg and I at.
Speaker 2: This point it's not even underrated.
Speaker 4: Well everyone, well, not in this not in this courtroom. The Cardinals are absolutely electric with Kyler Murray at this point, and I haven't seen him play this well in years and years. Watching that game on Sunday, he looked so good. The offense was insane. The way it moved so well. It reminded me of some of those games where Kyler Murray would pull out like a hail Mary at this like right at the end, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like it was like how many years ago was before against.
Speaker 2: The Bills, who he also got one yes at.
Speaker 4: The defense is a potential week spot though for the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: That's where I start to worry. But they are all.
Speaker 4: Over the place in Week two making plays against the Rams when you go back and watch the film, so maybe Gannon has them cooking and can elevate the ceiling on them. But we the jury and the judge in the case of the postseason versus the NFC West, we find the Cardinals and Seahawks not guilty of rising to the top of the division, and it is because I am split with the Cardinals and the Seahawks. I think the Seahawks will rise up in the division, but I still believe in the Niners, So I think it'll end up being somewhere between the Seahawks and the Niners up top, and then Cardinals and Rams.
Speaker 5: Can't can't truly argue with the honorable judge and respected jury.
Speaker 3: That is corrected this courtroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that the the forty nine ers are always dangerous, even when you think they're not right, they are always dangerous. I agree with that. I just think they're in a bit of uncharted territory with the amount of time that some of these players, some of the situation, particularly with stars, might be able to just hinder their their season, delay their progress a little bit. You know, you catch momentum at the right time in this league. That's that's important. And by the way, the Cardinals, the Cardinals the way that they were, I technically still won this because you argued against yourself.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's a fair point.
Speaker 5: So the Cardinals the way that they're they're able to run the ball. The multiplicity with the way they're able to run the ball, that's gonna just smother people. That's that's reminiscent of the Kyle Shanahan suffocation forty nine Ers. That's just darkness right there. Like, that's that's gonna take this team to the postseason. Regardless of what they're doing. It does not matter how sheer defense is, if you could play keep away from the other side, which is what they almost did to the Bills and what they will continue to try to do two opponents down the stretch.
Speaker 1: I do remember that forty nine Ers team from a couple of years ago twenty twenty one, that started three and five and they were a dropped interception in the NFC Championship Game against the Rams from making the Super Bowl that year and having a real chance to win it. I think of their team last year that lost a couple games in the middle of the season in a row. Granted they had a little cushion in terms of their record at that point, but they lost a couple games in a row when they had injuries.
Speaker 4: Their offensive line is also struggling outside of Trent, Like I just I'm wondering if we're going to see more of these bad games from Rock Purty too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might have been a Brian Florest thing.
Speaker 1: They'll have a much better matchup this week against the Rams. Other the Rams always find a way to play them close. This will be a challenge.
Speaker 2: All right, Judge.
Speaker 1: Connie, I respect you, I admire.
Speaker 3: I got to get out of here.
Speaker 1: It's one I'm looking forward to U season three. Get that syndication deal going. We will be back after this a little quick break and we're going.
Speaker 2: To do a t F review. Jets and Patriots.
Speaker 1: All right, it's time for our TNF preview presented by Prime Video. It's the Patriots heading to the Meadowlands to face the New Jersey Jets.
Speaker 2: Almost said Nets.
Speaker 1: I'm thankful to the Patriots for showing up these first couple of weeks and being a representative interesting football team and making this Thursday night football rivalry game interesting. I know they wanted to put the Patriots early. They don't have any other Prime times like before the bottom fell out, and they look like a real team to me. I am concerned, Calleen that their passing game is as bad as expected. Yeah, actually, like I know, they got Hunter Henry over one hundred yards last week, but any measurement you want to look at, or any eyeball tests that that I've been looking at. In terms of the past protection, it is that big of a problem that you know, when your left tackle gets benched and then thinks about retiring and leaves the team like, that's.
Speaker 4: Usually Tante Sarka would never Yeah, it's usually a bad sign.
Speaker 1: They're twenty eighth in yards per play, they are dead last in past block win rate, second worst pressure rate allowed, and their average separation is twenty eighth. So when I watched this film, Jacoby Brissette I think has played well enough.
Speaker 2: He hasn't been the issue.
Speaker 1: There aren't a lot of open receivers here, and it's a tough matchup against a Jets secondary where they've you know, they've got the player sas Gardner and DJ Reid and CJ. Moseley, by the way, are all considered kind of day to day and might be game time decisions.
Speaker 2: So that's a big factor here.
Speaker 1: But if they're healthy, this is a Jets team that I think can feel with confidence we can just man up against your receivers.
Speaker 3: What about Ramandre Stevens.
Speaker 2: Okay, and there we go.
Speaker 4: That's the strength that's this is the strength of the team. They are run heavy. Now he's the entire offense, Ramandre Stevenson. This is the second straight week he had twenty plus carries, and that's where the Jets are susceptible on the ground, allowing an average of one hundred and fifteen yards per game through these two so like four point five yards per carry. Also the six most receiving yards to opposing runners, which not Remandre's wheelhouse, but that could mean that Antonio Gibson gets involved too. So if they're going to have success, it's going to be on the ground. I don't know how viable that will continue to be because defenses will obviously be keying.
Speaker 3: But it's like right.
Speaker 4: Now, it's been working for them and they're exciting, and obviously Jacoby Brissett he's limited in what he can do.
Speaker 5: I don't know that the Jets have shown a capability of king in against to stop the run. They've just been really porous in terms of allowing that significant volume is something like one hundred and thirty yards allowed in week two, one hundred and eighty yards allowed in week one. I mean, that's just an enormous amounts of holes found by these running backs. And I think that if you are trying to keep the ball out of Aaron Rodgers' hands, which you should be, because even though he's clearly still kind of getting back to his physical form, looked better last week. They also helped him out a lot with the quick game, helped mitigate some of their own offensive line issues with the quick game. We'll get to that in a minute, But if you're trying to play keep away from Aaron Rodgers, your game plan has to be to load up and run the ball. If you're the Patriots, and there really is not another And to add to the list to Michael Carter with the ankle right also to me one of the best inside corners in the NFL. He's dealing with the ankle and he's limited this week so and he's also been managing it so he's he might not play a full snap count. So again, if you are again shorthanded, even on the inside and the linebacker situation, you're really going to have to like smash the ball into this Jets front because they shoul haven't proved that they can stop.
Speaker 1: It, and they're without Jermaine Johnson, who tours Achilles. There obviously without Hassan redsk so sad. Yeah, that's really sad, and mostly to me is so important for what they do.
Speaker 2: I misspoke earlier.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you corrected when I said sas Gardner is Michael Carter, who would be kind of a game time decision potentially for this. So that's really important. But again, Vermandri's playing so well. Antonio Gibson had one of the best games of his career. I've always been an Antonio Gibson fan from his days in Washington, and it kind of got like worse and worse, and like breaking tackles is not exactly an offense, but that's basically what they've been doing. It hasn't been that the run blocking has been great. It's been up and down. But they do have some plays where they look like they kind of know what they're doing. And I do love that they'll break out seven offensive linemen at once. They'll just go crazy jumbo, They'll go six offensive linemen at once, like that's who they are. They're trying to keep it close, and you can win that way if you don't make mental mistakes, which they did in the fourth quarter in overtime of that game before for that, they played three really clean quarters and we're this close to the you know, being two and oh, I mean they they're in field goal range with four minutes left to go, you know, up up three, with a chance to maybe go up ten. So they've done a lot of good things their defense. Let's talk about that matchup against the Jets offense and Rogers. Can they get any pressure on Rogers? Rogers is four for ten for twenty six yards against pressure, and you might be saying, like, well, that's not very good. That's obviously at the bottom of like any sort of metrics you want to look at. But the thing that stands out to me is ten that he's only been pressured on ten plays. He also has zero passes this year outside the tackle box, so like no creation. So a lot of the things we said about Kirk Cousins coming out of week one are true to the other guy coming off of torn Achilles. It's just not quite as dramatic. But when you guys watch him, does he look like Aaron Rodgers? No, because the old Aaron Rodgers created now Aaron Rodgers I think's been better than the Kirk and I are in terms of he's getting rid of the ball. And I do have more faith in the Jets winning this game because of the second half of that game that they did kind of lock down defensively in terms of their run Stoppy and Rogers made three or four just fantastic one on one throws to his receivers, and I came out of that game thinking like, Okay, the second half of that game, like he got his mojo back. We'll see if that continues. But I felt a lot better about him after watching that.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I'm just writing down, okay for Patriots to load up and run ball, not okay for Chargers to load up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, okay, all right, all right, freaking Herbert and the.
Speaker 5: You lost your mind there for a second to do that. You lost your mind there it worked. I do think to your Rogers.
Speaker 1: One got like my my grandfather is ninety one, super you.
Speaker 3: Want to take a lap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's got like a Ferrari Greg.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, So to your point, yes, they are helping him to and maybe Aaron is helping himself if he's like calling this, calling these games right, but kind of it, he probably exactly. But the quick game that they're using, it's helping him. It's not just helping avoid that pressure. It's obviously keeping his air yardage pretty short, which is strange to see from Aaron Rodgers. It's only five passes over ten air yards, which is the third lowest for him since twenty sixteen per season. Only five Yeah, per next My god, that's so.
Speaker 1: But they're going three of them were dimes that Yeah, he can still down the Garrett.
Speaker 5: He can still he can still do it, but they're clearly trying to protect him and get him into a rhythm as he gets his like literal legs back under him. So this was interesting again per next Gen eighteen passes under two and a half seconds, getting the ball out super fast. When thirteen of eighteen for one hundred and twenty five yards and two touchdowns downs in this last game, and you know, it's it's interesting because that mitigates pressure on the offensive line. I don't I'm not confident that the Jets can amass or excuse me, I'm not. I'm not confident that that's going to make such a difference in this game, in the state of the Jets offensive line. But I think that, you know, getting him into a rhythm like that and getting him like feeling good, feeling like moving, feeling like things are clicking. I think you'll start to see him open up a little bit more. I don't know if this is the game to do it, though, because you know you're trying to just get a clean win out of this one.
Speaker 4: I do think that Bristol and maybe even Braylan Allen are the focal point. It's a ball control offense and they're sort of saving Rogers for those big third downs and like the end of half plays, and Garrett Wilson he still hasn't scored a touchdown yet. There's like different things I think that you can point to with both of these teams. How the Jets defense can just blow things up, and it's something that they should be able to do against the Patriots this week with that offensive line, that defront going up against the Patso line, which the pats O line for so long was like they're strong suit in Foxborough. And so now I kind of I'm just looking at both run games because both teams are sort of shifting to a run first approach, so it's gonna be which one has the ball longer.
Speaker 1: So the Patriots I think will play them similarly to the Titans, which is the Titans didn't stack the box like Breese Hall is Love and Life with Aaron Rodgers. That is the difference between this year and last year in terms of like what they're running game is facing in The Patriots lost Juwon Bentley, who's a good run stopper for them, and they will count on their guys to just do it. But if I had to pick a defense in this game, like which defense do I trust more, it's close. They're both veteran groups that have played together a while. I think Jeron Meo has done some really good disguises in terms of how they change before the snap and after the snap played. Ken White has four sacks this season, a lot of really quick pressures last week too, and they they play like a veteran group that's in sync. I think that the Jets do two on the back end, but I think the Patriots actually a little better up front.
Speaker 2: I brought up the.
Speaker 1: Line here while we were talking because I was like, I'm curious what it is, because I'm confident the Patriots are just gonna ugly this thing up and keep it close. At this point, I think these two teams have looked pretty average. If you look at like the DVOA through two weeks. I know it's only two weeks. They're both just right in the middle of the NFL. That's how they've played, and so I would think they'd keep it close. So six and a half to me is way too much for the Jets. I like the Patriots to keep it close, but the Jets to ultimately win in a matchup where man, even at the very end of the Belichick era, the Jets were struggling to ever find wins against the Patriots. So I do think they get one here at home. But I like the Patriots to cover at least. Yeah, I think not that you have to pick that. I just found that interesting.
Speaker 2: Six and a half. I feel pretty strong about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's too too much or I don't really know how to describe this type of thing. You explain this to me all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything else I could say. The Patriots like if you can the.
Speaker 5: Lines and the like, I don't. That's my huge weak spot. But I do think that they're going to keep it closer than what that says. I think because I think they could win, because I think the Patriots are going to go keep trying to play keep away from Aaron Rodgers. Like I said at the very top, but I do think the Jets are going to win this game.
Speaker 3: Jets too, so we're sweeping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 5: I'm owing to by the way I am, I am the curse.
Speaker 3: Last week was a bad week for everyone.
Speaker 1: I do think, Yeah, there are some matchup issues. Christian Gonzalez is playing well in the secondary, but you know, one on one, some of these Patriots cornerbacks I think can be a little a little more of.
Speaker 4: A what if the Patriots do win because things have been so good for them unexpectedly, do we end up seeing Drake May a little sooner than sooner?
Speaker 5: Not with that line, No way I will know.
Speaker 2: I think this is the best of both worlds for them. They're like being it.
Speaker 1: They're confirming why they're not playing him in a way, and they're setting the foundation and they're winning some games and.
Speaker 5: They're literally like why is everyone yelling? We're right?
Speaker 2: That is awesome?
Speaker 1: And that was this week's TNF preview, presented by Prime Video. Be sure to watch the New England Patriots take on the New York Jets this Thereday on Prime Video Jordan and Colleen.
Speaker 2: What a day Judge Connie.
Speaker 5: Colleen Pick said the judge. Okay, I'm just you know what, I'm trying to curry points.
Speaker 3: I know, but we're done. We're done in the courtroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Judge Connie returning at some point. Yeah, we'll see if it's a regular season thing postseason. Who knows. I know I'm doing court for jury duty in a month. That's not happening. So I got to figure out how to get out of that because they've already delayed it a couple of times. Thanks for watching NFL Daily. We will be back on Thursday for our preview show. Excited about that, Steve Weiss, Patrick Claybond every single week going through every single team and game except for these TNF teams. Uh So, looking forward to that and we will see you guys next time when Judge Connie's in session.
Speaker 2: You know that football is back.
Speaker 3: Thanks bail Up.