Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody, Happy Thursday.
Speaker 3: Have an amazing show for everybody today, Ryan Morning's extra amazing bro show.
Speaker 1: People live for the pound. As they always say, We've.
Speaker 3: Got a great show for everybody today. Let's see let me see the bar folks. This is the toughest part of the job.
Speaker 1: New Jersey.
Speaker 3: We're gonna kick it off with these drones now. Note it is not just because I am hosting the show today, just with Ryan. I'm not the one who pushed this. I consider doing things, but I genuinely is crazy.
Speaker 1: Is what else can we do.
Speaker 3: It's a crazy story in the country. Nobody in the mainstream media is taking this seriously. We literally have a literal unidentified flying objects all over the state of New Jersey, acknowledged by the United States government, by the New Jersey State Police, by the governor of the state, by lawmakers, by residents. Many of them have been spotted over US military installations or a flurry of more drone sidings just last night.
Speaker 1: So what the hell are these? You know?
Speaker 3: According to our government, we don't know. So we're going to tell you everything that we do know about the situation. If anything, we're going to rule a bunch of things out, and I will allow you to make up your mind for yourself of what you think they are. Inflation, we're going to talk about that shocking new numbers around eggs and auto insurance inflation remaining troublingly high, thirteen percent spike in a single month just in auto insurance.
Speaker 1: We're going to dig into why it's kind of interesting. We're going to talk.
Speaker 3: About Luigi Mangioni, the alleged United CEO killer who has now been taken into custody and is fighting extradition to the state of New York have been some interesting again social fallout of that situation, Ryan comedians, Bill Burd, Joe Rogan, a few others weighing in. It's become a real cultural touch point. Then we're going to have an interview with Ken Klippenstein. He's going to join us. He's the one who made the decision to publish the manifesto, and he's going to give us some background where he actually has revealed that there is some tacit agreement between the police and the mainstream media to not release the manifesto.
Speaker 1: So we're going to talk about.
Speaker 3: When it's okay to release Manifested a little New York Times scoop. That's right, he's got some time on what's going on with his inside the New York Times insane. Yeah, they don't want to pose a picture of.
Speaker 1: Hot too higher TV.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, all right, Well, anyway, we are going to figure out why what the hell is going on. We've got some other interesting stories about Syria. Even though it's titled Ukraine and appears in the Ukrainian government sent some advisors to al Qaeda to actually help topple Bashar Alsad's regime. Interesting enemy of my enemy is my friend, as they said in the World War two era. And we're also going to talk about an extraordinary clip from CNN in which they claim to have filmed somebody being afraid from Syrian Prison's very dramatic, very bit. You know, it was very emotionally heart renting if you take it seriously. There's some questions though, around the circumstances of all of that. And then Independent Senate candidate Diane Osborne, who outperformed almost all the Democrats in the entire country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is it? Literally all literally all of them in.
Speaker 3: The entire country. He will join Ryan and I foreign interview. So I'm excited to talk to him. We wanted to get him with her on the show now for quite some time, and I know he's somebody who a lot of you have been very interested in. Nobody's asked him for his opinion on retrospectives for the DNC or for any of the others. Yes, I understand he's an independent, but we're going to ask him about the things that he ran on, some of the lessons and other things from this selection which possibly he could be a bright spot there. So before we get to that, though, thank you to all of our premium subscribers. Really appreciate you joining us here and joining the program and you know, taking part in helping us build something for the future.
Speaker 4: Before iam sub Yeah, go, amium sub pitch.
Speaker 5: Emily and I yesterday interviewed American citizen who went to fight isis and seriously right. That interview was absolutely fascinating. One reason we got the interview. The reason we got the interview is that he loves breaking points.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: And the week before we got Brooke who was the sex worker turned whistleblower because she loves breaking points.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: We have a very cool audience, ye, diverse audience. So that will be out later today. If you're a premium sung so get that. And then a quick update on the book campaign. I have mine now, Ray fat alerriers, if I must die, you have until Saturday to buy this and have it still count toward the New York Times bestseller list. I have been told by a source in the publishing industry that there is a quote high probability that it actually will make the list.
Speaker 1: How many copies did they sell already?
Speaker 5: Well, so they printed seventy five hundred. They completely sold those out within hours.
Speaker 1: So in normal times, that's enough to hit the list.
Speaker 5: In normal time, that's enough. Now it's December, so it's holiday season. Everybody's buying a lot of books. So we're guessing fifteen k is definitely on there. And I think we're at twelve or thirteen already. Okay, and Today's Thursday can get hit top ten.
Speaker 1: There's no way you don't. I think. I think that's a lot of books. Just throw everybody understand.
Speaker 4: That if what is the appone to go get another.
Speaker 1: Sell like fifty copy, five copies exactly. Yeah. The publishing industry is kind of like the folks. It's very interesting.
Speaker 3: If you can sell five thousand copies, that's like.
Speaker 1: You've made it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Major publishers are like sweet, Yeah, like this is a we've recouped our investment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the book business is a real racket. But maybe I'll do a monologue on that at some point. So there you go.
Speaker 3: You've only have a couple more days to have a link down in the description. With all of that, let's get to these new Jersey drones folks. First, let's start with the video show. We put it up there on the screen. We confirm some of the video that we are about to show you, So let's go ahead and play it as I talk over it. Where you're seeing there is a Bergen County, New Jersey. So yeah, you can just see linking lights that are in the sky. At least some of these drones were originally thought to be unidentified. However, at least one or two of them were known and I later identified as a small passenger aircraft. But many of these images that have been coming out have now been observed again all over the state, multiple different counties in the state of New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Bedminster, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Obviously that's a bit concerning because that's where President elect Donald Trump's New Jersey golf courses as well. But in reality, you're also seeing these drones which appear to have lights and to be flying in groups as well, not only there, but over.
Speaker 1: Multiple US military installations.
Speaker 3: And I will get to the confirming of that in a little bit now, as I just set this up. As we said, there's been multiple days now investigation into these drones. Some you know, we knew were small passenger aircraft, but there's just literally not enough small passenger aircraft, especially at night, that are usually registered and confirmed in others to know that this is explicitly not what they are, so they are something, right. We know that they're not, at least according to United as Military, they're not US military assets. We believe at some point now that they are not. They're not foreign assets, as was speculating. We'll get that they were saying, oh it's a ron, yes, But what we do know are some shotgun comments here from the state of New Jersey's Governor Phil Murphy, who actually deployed state assets to try and intercept some of these drones. And here's what he had to say. The minute we get eyes on these drones, they go dark.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: I don't blame people for being frustrated. Let me say most importantly right up front, we see no evidence. And I say this includes Homeland Security, FBI, Secret Service, our state police authorities, at all levels of government. The most important point to say is we don't see any concern for public safety. That's number one.
Speaker 1: Number two.
Speaker 6: Having said that, it's really frustrating that we don't have more answers as to where they are coming from and why they're doing what they're doing. We had last night forty nine sightings. I think twenty of them were over one hundred. Now those include I think I saw one mistaken a fixed wing air craft, a plane, a small piper cub for instance, for a drone, or you saw one and that counts, and then I saw the same one and that counts. So we think these are overstated, but it's a non zero number. I was on with the White House and Homeland Security leadership literally at the very top yesterday pretty much all day. I'm hoping we'll get answers sooner than later. I would just ask folks to continue to let the FBI or their local law enforcement know when they see something, and we'll continue to do everything we can with our federal partners to get clearer answers.
Speaker 3: Why is it hard to get answers?
Speaker 6: These are apparently very as I understand it, very sophisticated. The minute you get eyes on them, they go dark. And you know, we're obviously most concerned about sensitive targets and sensitive critical infrastructure. We've got military assets, we've got utility assets, we've got the President and Alex one of his homes here. This is something we're taking deadly seriously. We've gotten good cooperation out of the FEDS. But we need more and that's that was my plate. How much lower as I don't know, but if we have news, I'll come. I'll let you know. The minute we know something. I'm not going to hide it under a bushel because you.
Speaker 7: Governor you have I'm gonna have people saying, you know, I saw a drone and or I was spraying something, or I saw a drone crash in my yard and set it off in alarm when I tried to go near it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of fear. Yeah, New Jersey residents on you. What is your message?
Speaker 6: Well, the message I just gave. But by the way, we're not aware of any nefarious drone that has crashed, or if there is one that's crashed, could someone please call me and let me know where that is. There are a couple of rumored downings for one reason or another. One of them was a toy, the other one was never found. But having something, having our hands on equipment that's on the ground would be helpful.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think we can say at least this is not a crank incident, Ryan, this is something being taken very seriously. By the way, that was just three days ago, and the situation has gotten even worse with drone sietse or multiple as I said, that happened just last night. So this is pretty shocking stuff. You've got the State of New Jersey says the moment that we get eyes on them, they go dark. This is really something that fits with a lot of previous UAP incidents for people who have been following them and they in terms of the characteristics, I'll just break it down because a lot of these have the same ones. First and foremost is this number one over a military base. Number two, traveling in groups. Number three, no military or civilian explanation for what's going on. And then number four, which we're about to get to, is wild rumors circulating to cover up the real explanation, which is we have no earthly idea.
Speaker 1: We have no earthly idea.
Speaker 5: Separate from my favorite part of that was where the guy's like, what's your message to people in New Jersey's like, the message is what I just said. Yeah, So how is the UAP community reacting to this? Because freaking out, I'm not in that community, and I'm yeah, okay, yeah, let's go well for us, for us, the something something's up Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is a pattern.
Speaker 3: This is a recognizable pattern, multiple incidents. It fits with multiple reports of pilots and of other US Navy assets and others that have all talked about this. It's just the most high profile because it's over a populated center. Now, sticking with that, we have some testimony here from somebody who actually encountered one of these drones.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 8: I know, in my own personal experience, I was driving home from a friend's house, passing by Flanders Valley golf course and I saw a drone that looked like the size of a small car, just hovering right above the golf course. And I tried to get a picture of it, but you know how it is the lights, it's kind of hard to get a true image out of it. But it's honestly kind of been a little comical too as well, because people come in here with all their conspiracies and all their own ideas of what could be happening, and it is nice in a coffee shop environment to talk about it.
Speaker 3: And so you are telling me that some of these drones are as large as a car, some are as small as the more conventional drones.
Speaker 1: What are they they sound like, and what are they moving like? When you do see them.
Speaker 8: See sometimes it's hard to really get a true idea of what they sound like because some of them are very high up, looks like like ten thousand feet, and then others could be around five hundred feet. So the larger ones, I have seen stories and I have heard that it could sound like a helicopter, while the small ones, when they're high.
Speaker 1: Up, you can't really hear anything at all, can't really hear anything at all.
Speaker 3: Now keep in mind, in terms of the FAA, everybody says, oh, these might be civilian drones, might be a couple of other people. The technologies not fit with that. First and foremost is banned right on flying drones at night.
Speaker 1: So there's that.
Speaker 3: I know, there's complicated rules, something about line of sight, but the higher ones they wouldn't even fit with that.
Speaker 1: So there's number one.
Speaker 3: Number two is that these have been investigated now at the state level, at the federal level, and now at the military level. And so for example from the FBI saying, quote, they have no idea what these drones are.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listener.
Speaker 9: You're telling me, we don't know what the hell these drones are in New Jersey?
Speaker 1: Are is that coright?
Speaker 9: That's right, It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean that's crazy.
Speaker 4: That's madness that we don't know what these drones are.
Speaker 3: That was from the United States Congress where a FBI agent there was testifying. Now, let's get to the wild rumors, shall we. So in the vacuum of all of this information, people always come out and they start hearing things from people. Right, some of those people are congressmen. Now, yesterday, Congressman Jeff V. Andrew, most famous I think for switching from Democrat to Republican, took to Fox News airwaves and made a wild claim that these drones are actually Iranian drones that are coming from a quote mothership off of the US East Coast.
Speaker 1: Let's take a lesson.
Speaker 9: Well, here's the real deal, Harris.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm also on the Transportation Committee, on the Aviation Subcommittee, and I've gotten to know people and from very high sources, very qualified sources, very responsible sources. I'm going to tell you the real deal. Iran launched a mothership probably about a month ago that contained these drones.
Speaker 1: That mothership is off I'm gonna tell you the deal.
Speaker 10: It's off the East coast of the United States of America. They've launched drones. Is everything that we can see or hear. And again, these are from high sources. I don't say this lightly. Now, you know, we know there was a probability it could have been our own government. We know it's not our own government because they would have let us know.
Speaker 1: It could have.
Speaker 10: Been some really glorified hobbyist or hobbyists that we're doing something unbelievable. They don't have the technology.
Speaker 1: Hmm, all right, So I have a number of questions.
Speaker 4: First question, when can we do war with the run?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: First of all, does this fit with wanting to go to war with Ron? Yes?
Speaker 3: Number two mothership really the Iranian Navy, the vaunted blue water Iranian Navy has a capacity to come all the way to the US East Queen never saw there and to be able. Yet nobody on open source was able to track it. The US Navy wasn't or at maybe right, So it's like and then that mothership phones are allowed to fly back and forth from said mothership now for multiple weeks without anybody spotting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead and color me skeptical. These are very responsible sources.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very responsible, very respectable listen. I mean, and by the way, look, this is super annoying for the congressman to do this because I genuinely think it is irresponsible. There's not a single scrap of evidence to back up what he said. By the way, he did walk it all back later and he was like, well, I said it could be Iran, and it's like, no, bro, we just played the tape.
Speaker 1: That's how he said. That's all he said.
Speaker 5: Nothing authoritative has ever followed. I serve on the transportation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, By the way, I serve on the transportation. Okay, because joke Committee and all the Congress that they.
Speaker 5: Let anybody from New Jersey on the TRANSFEAH is appalling, exactly right, Okay, So yeah, especially if anybody wh's been on the turnpike.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: So then finally we get a Pentagon press conference where they're asked about all of this, and they said two very important things. Number One, what the congressman saying is totally not true. But the most important one is this, according to assessment, it is not a foreign military asset.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 7: Representative Jeff Fan Drew, who is a Republican from New Jersey, was just on the air saying that Iran launched a mothership probably about a month ago that contains these drones, and that that mothership is off the coast of the east coast of the United States. Is there any truth to that?
Speaker 1: There is not any truth to that.
Speaker 3: There is no Iranian ship off the coast of the United States, and there's no so called mothership launching drones towards the United States. All right, No mothership, no drones. They also said it is not a foreign US military asset. It basically only leaves two options. One is we have no idea, and the other is that it's a US military drones. I mean, I guess is theoretically possible that it is and that they're not telling us, But there are a lot of weird things that continue to stack up against it. So, for example, can we put a nine please up on the screen. This is a statement from US North Command.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: US North Command says that they've quote conducted a deliberate analysis of the events in consultation with other military organizations and interagency partners. At this time, we have not been requested to assist with these events. So according to them, this is the military right responsible for US North Command and US Home Defense as well as Canada, and they tell us, no, we've done an analysis here and we've said that we have not even been requested to deal with any of this.
Speaker 1: Part of the reason why I don't think it's Iranian.
Speaker 3: And the other funny thing is whenever you continue to read Ryan and you see some of the statements they're referring to it as a quote local law enforcement matter. But then when you talk to the state and the state troopers and others and including the government of Jersey, He's like.
Speaker 1: Guys, airspace is not us. That's a federal matter. So there's a lot of finger pointing going on. And I think that the answer is they don't know.
Speaker 3: That's the terrifying part. And look, again, we are not dealing with is one or two. We've got multiple verified videos, got multiple incidents. We've got the freaking governor who says that every time a helicopter trusts at close to these things, they go quote unquote go dark.
Speaker 1: You don't think the Patterson Police Department can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, handle Pattison Police Department. They're totally unable to do all of this. And the other thing is is that you have multiple sidings across multiple different donains. So let's go ahead and put a eight please on the screen. This is from New Jersey Media. I mean they exhaustively list here all of the counties where these drone reports have happened. I mean, we're talking about all over the state. But one of the things that really caught my eye yesterday was actually a statement that came out of Naval.
Speaker 1: Air Station Earl.
Speaker 3: And what they said is, quote, we are aware of the reports of increased drone activity in New Jersey and are actively monitoring the situation. We have received reports from our neighboring communities and law enforcement.
Speaker 1: But here's this quote.
Speaker 3: We can confirm at least one instance of an unidentified drone entering the airspace above Naval Weapon Station Earl. Above Naval Weapon Station Earl. So you have here that's on the record from the United States Military.
Speaker 5: Unidentified object that was flying above the naval Unidentified flying object.
Speaker 3: Unidentified flying object that was flying over Naval Station role.
Speaker 1: So you can call them, let's just call them UFO.
Speaker 3: Quality, UFO quality, UFO if you want to, So listen. I mean, look, I've only given people the facts here. You can you can make up your own mind. I mean, I think the real thing that we could take away from this is the FEDS just don't know, they have no and clue, or they're hiding something colossal. There's some secret government but you know, everybody always thinks that it could be some secret government program. But it'd be pretty stupid to have a secret government drone program to be flying all over the most part one of the most populated and dense areas in the entire United States. Ignite a local panic. You have the governor of the state of New Jersey. I think the mayors of every town in New Jersey convened yesterday for a meeting. Many of the mayors came away from it, some of them had drove up to three hours, and we're like, we didn't learn anything from this. They basically just said the same thing, we have no idea what's happening here this legislators, Yeah, that's what they said. State legislators said, I don't know, you know, we have no clue about what's happening here. That they keep saying that we need more federal resources to tell us what's happening.
Speaker 5: And interestingly, the President has been briefed, Yes, we Okay, the president has a limited amount of time, and this president has extra limited amount of time.
Speaker 1: He's got tend.
Speaker 3: Nothing right, that's going to take photos at Christmas parties. That's about what he's got.
Speaker 1: This roads to his level. We've got I believe it's a seven. Yeah, a seven. Let's go and play it.
Speaker 12: So we are certainly aware the president is where so we're closely tracking and the activity and coordinating closely with relevant agency including DHS and FBI to continue to investigate these incidents. Don't have anything beyond that to share.
Speaker 9: Obviously, this is.
Speaker 12: Something that DHS and FBI are tracking very very closely, and so I would have to refer you to them directly.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: The president has been brief they are monitoring the situation. You take it for whatever you will.
Speaker 1: You know. That's that's all we've got so far, folks.
Speaker 3: And you know, even as I continue to scour, I don't see the national media really taking this seriously at all. But if you consider it at a base and this is part of the reason why many lawmakers who when you strip apart the stigma and people calling you crazy, at a baseline level, it's crazy to have things that are flying around in your airspace and you don't know what they are, as we multiple congressmen and others have said they said, we have reports of these things over US military installations. We have reports of them interfering with equipment. We have reports of sailors and airmen who have no idea what to do, They're afraid, or they just simply you know, it's a threat to them because things are going around in your airspace without any knowledge of it. And this is perhaps the most high profile example that we've had in years now of something that is like this happening. It's already the national media, I think, is trying to memory hol it, and I think the main reason why is it's embarrassing and it's difficult right when to tell a story and just have of I don't know, nobody knows, but anytime completely, you know, they have zero idea.
Speaker 1: All we have our little little data point.
Speaker 5: If they are unidentified objects flying over the remains of Evanna Trump like that's important.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you joke, but this is the president of Lexical Compound. Yeah, I think he's going to be there for Christmas something like that, or.
Speaker 1: Let possibly he's in New York today.
Speaker 3: I know that at the New York Stock Exchange, So what does that mean, probably will be stopping off at Bedminster. And then you have these drones that are flying around that are up there. We have US military installations that don't know what's happening in daval air stations. You have reports here from the governor of the state. And then you had so many incidents that happened just last night apparently where multiple other residents and others are reporting them to authority. So if you see anything going on, if you see anything, just let us know. If you can post the video, report it to your local authorities, and we'll continue to monitor the situations.
Speaker 1: Totally crazy stuff. All right, Let's move on to inflation.
Speaker 3: This is a really crazy story, Ryan, and potentially it could be you know, it's going to be an issue there for Donald Trump. This is one of the main reasons why he won the presidency. Let's put this up there on the screen. Quote unquote, Strengthening inflation poses challenge for Trump and for the Fed. So inflation actually ticked up this month two point seven percent.
Speaker 1: Quote assigned to that path to.
Speaker 3: Bringing down price pressures remains bumpy quote unquote progress on bringing down inflation stalled in November, CPI ticked up two point seven percent increase. But it's the prices of consumer goods that are really jacking things up right now. Quote, everything from cars to living room furniture excluding food and energy increase at the fastest month over month pace in a year and a half, largely led by a jump in vehicle prices. That was partly because drivers were replacing damaged cars and trucks after recent devastating hurricanes. But also the rise is notable because the prices for many goods had been falling for about a year through August and now appears to have been reversed. One of the ways that you can really look into this is that it's in the core areas in terms of making everyday life more expensive. Whenever you see the actual dig into the numbers. Let's put this up there from the Washington Post, and I'm going to read here this is actually really crazy. So what they show is that the is that with eggs and with auto insurance. In particular, food prices, which weighed heavily on Americans, rose point four percent over the month, but prices for meat, fish, poultry, and eggs rose one point seven percent. Beef price increased three percent and are up five percent on the year. Eggs are up eight point two percent and are up forty percent on the year. Gasoline up by point six percent, but still down some eight percent from the year ago period. It's the auto insurance that really stuck out to me, because what you saw in that number, Ryan, was a thirteen point seven percent or sorry, twelve point seven percent increase in auto insurance in just a single year. And this is really shocking because what it shows is that not only is the price of carrying a car up significantly, but the price of the car itself is also up significantly. And then you consider that rates are still very high, so the car loans themselves. So you now have a situation where average car payment is going to rocket up from the price of the car, the rate of the car, and now the physical carrying cost with auto insurance. And one of the really sad parts about this is I talked a lot about this in terms of families, is that you know, now used to be like you had your sixteen year old kid. Everyone is annoyed because oh it jumped from one hundred and twenty to four hundred dollars or something. Nowadays, you would be praying and wishing for a four hundred dollars insurance payment just for you and your wife, all right, for you and your husband. Nowadays it's like five hundred dollars, two two thousand dollars of what that jump is.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely shocking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the days where the sixteen year old, Like when I was sixteen, you know, I scraped together seventeen hundred dollars. I got five hundred dollars from a car accident I was in and I was working at.
Speaker 1: A side job flush yeah, yeah, combined and was for seventeen hundred bucks.
Speaker 5: Was able to get a hont A cord used as hell, And that was very normal, yes, even for lower income people, for teenagers be able to And then yeah, the insurance is a little more because you're a terrible driver, and it should be more because sure you're a danger on the roads just as much as a ninety five year old, maybe even more so.
Speaker 1: But it was affordable.
Speaker 5: This is getting this is getting unaffordable for the average middle class family at this point.
Speaker 1: And we counterpoints.
Speaker 5: We were flagging this more than a year ago, and actually a piece you read there is a nice little vindication.
Speaker 1: We can put it up there.
Speaker 5: People that were dunking on me about pointing out all the storming storms and the floods were driving a significant amount of the auto insurance becris. People like, what, that's crazy, that's impossible. No, dude, what do you think happens when you get much more hail than used to get.
Speaker 1: Hail destroys cars.
Speaker 4: That's a couple thousand bucks to get that fixed.
Speaker 5: Maybe flooding more than that, Yes, because it's doing it's destroying the whole body. Flooding your carget, your car gets filled with water. How much do you think that costs to get fixed?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 5: Western North Carolina, Florida, Alabama, George, Louisiana, Like all of these places getting whacked with storms. And that's before we're talking about all the all the tornadoes and the and as costs of cars rise, then the cost of fixing them rises. Yes, And there is also then and this needs this requires a lot more investigation. But there is a something Dave Dan's outlet would be good at looking into.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll team up with him on that. Private equity is like buying.
Speaker 5: Up a whole bunch of car and rolling up the auto repair industry. And so what private equity does when they when they buy up, say medical facilities, they figure out how to upcode to insurance companies and medicare, and all of a sudden they're extracting a whole lot more money out of these insurance companies, whether it's medicare or private insurance. They're doing the same thing with auto insurance, and so they're figuring out, how do we maximize what we can get out of this insurance company. Meanwhile, the car makers themselves are making everything automated. So every time you roll in now and you've got you know, you might have your tire pressure might be low in the old days, like just a couple of years ago, you go.
Speaker 1: And you fill up, you fill up your tire.
Speaker 5: Now they're like, we got to run the system because we've got to do something about that code. And that's like a hundred bucks interesting, And then they find something else and it's like auto mechanics have always been good at figuring out ways to charge you more, but private equity takes that to an exponential new level, right, and it's just and then the insurance company is like, okay, well we're raising prices by thirteen percent.
Speaker 3: Price is actually shocking because put that New York Times tear sheet up there on the screen.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read a little bit from this B three please.
Speaker 3: So what they talk about in here is about the quote era of the twenty thousand dollars family car insurance bill. And they quote one particular woman who said that she called to add her sixteen year old to her car insurance. She drives a twenty eighteen Subaru, and the representative casually informed her her annual premium would go from seventeen hundred to over five thousand dollars. They say, quote, it turns out she has it pretty good. There are plenty of families with three or four children whose annual premiums will top twenty thousand dollars this year. That can be enough to replace one of the cars that the entire policy covers.
Speaker 1: Quote how can this be?
Speaker 3: It's the insurance industry, which means it's complicated, unpredictable, and more or less especially because you literally have to have insurance to be able to drive.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: One other vicious cycle that's going on here. Yeah, and you see this all over the country. People are confronting this The more that prices rise, the more unaffordable it becomes. The more people are uninsured, Yes, because they can't pay, just can't make the bills.
Speaker 1: I was about to get to that, and then boom, uninsured people. That raises the tub.
Speaker 3: We have a critical mass of uninsured population. Some of it is immigration related, apparently, that's what a lot of people are speculating around the large number of people who are here illegally and largely drive.
Speaker 1: Without a legit analysis. It's true.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just at a basic level, you have a twenty million people who are illegally ten million people are probably driving, all of them legally, are uninsured because that's what this is admitted by them and by social scientists and others. So if you're getting to a car accident, that's number one. Number two, that's tail as old as time. In Texas, everybody in Texas got a story getting rear ended by a guy and he's like, oh, sorry, you know, insurance drives away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll pay some cash, you know whatever.
Speaker 3: This has been going on for twenty five since I was since I was a kid, I remember hearing stories about this. Now the whole country gets to experience what we in Texas got to grow up with second though, is the rise actually, and this is why I think you can't just blame it all on immigration. A lot of this has to do with cars. And I didn't think about this, but the nicer the cars become, the more expensive they are to fix. And what I mean by that is that even the baseline models of a lot of cars these days, they've got you know, the rear end sensors and all that stuff. Well, it used to be when you crash or let's say somebody sideswipes you and they hit your side, Okay, you just have to replace the piece of metal.
Speaker 1: You go to it. Now that's why I used to just go to a jug yard exactly.
Speaker 3: You have the famous you know, you have the what the door that doesn't match everything else looks like shit, but whatever. But now you have that it needs a sensor and it has that and it is wired to the computer. And so whenever that happens, you actually have to replace like three or four different things.
Speaker 1: Also electric vehicles.
Speaker 3: There is there's a famous story of a Rivian like a Rivian got involved in a rear end or something, and it costs forty thousand dollars to fix, because it's not just the sensors. It was something about the way that the car itself is configured, and they needed a brand new pay.
Speaker 1: You might as well totaled it to me, honest.
Speaker 3: But that's the point is that in basic fender benders and other small accidents, is that as the cars get nicer, first of all more expensive, but second really is nicer, more complex.
Speaker 5: With a lot more and sensors, the way they crumple. Right, So this crumpling is good for the human, yes, bad for the bad.
Speaker 11: For the car.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of different things that are going on in terms of that. Second is also something that was flagged to me by somebody in the insurance industry. Let's put this up there on the screen. I don't know how much of this is true. This could be coped by them, but I thought I would mention it anyways. It says quote the big impact of quote unquote social inflation on small and mid size commercial auto insurans. And it says the term social inflation brings to mind jury trials and multimillion dollar verdicts, often claims for involving serious injury for the claimant, but the effects of social inflation go beyond these headline grabbing cases. The whole dynamic of social inflation that leads to verdicts has trickled down effects that can impact any claim, including basic auto injury for something as benigned as a sprain ankle. This means that even small and mid sized companies with relatively small autoliability exposure can and do pay the price. Commercial auto a claim severity has now risen seventy two percent since twenty thirteen, with a median annual increase of six point three. Economic and social inflation are big culprits behind the increase, contributing to some ninety six billion if increase in the combined claim payouts for US personal and commercial auto liability in the last decade.
Speaker 1: So what that means is that there's also I mean, you know, lawyers and all.
Speaker 3: These other people talk about it too, that a lot of the tort reform and there's a lot of lawyers who obviously pray not just okay, so they justify it by representing people against auto companies whatever.
Speaker 1: Don't I don't know the whole story. I'm sure there's something in between.
Speaker 3: The point is is that you have a lot of claimants with insurance route by the way right now is rampant. By the way, get a dash cam. If you're out there, got a dash camp. It's important. It could save you a lot of money sometime in the future. So there's a famous video going around right now of a guy who slams his car rear ends his car into somebody. The only reason she isn't held liable is because she has a dash camp showing that the other guy clearly is at fault. So insurance fraud and personal injury lawyers and all these other people are milking the auto insurance companies. A lot of those judgments are trickling down. You have the illegal immigrant situation, You've also got these more expensive car situation, and you've got the storms. So it does seem like it was a perfect storm quote unquote of events. Also, I think a lot of claims were new on December, so that's another reason why this particular month was very high.
Speaker 1: But I feel for people out there.
Speaker 3: Man, if you got three kids or something like that and you're paying fifteen twenty grand a year in car insurance, that's crazy, especially if you, Oh, Man, if you live in Florida, your home insurance rate if you're lucky to have it jacked up your auto insurance rate.
Speaker 1: Crazy if you live in California.
Speaker 3: Apparently California just instituted some new regulations about mandatory coverage for every person with increasing the amount that you legally have to have for your coverage, which again drives the price up. So there's a huge confluence of events, but the bottom line is always the same as that it's harder to just be an everyday American.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just sucks.
Speaker 3: I can't I cannot imagine paying twenty thousand dollars a year for car insurance. That's crazy, It's absolutely crazy.
Speaker 5: Might need a national car insurance at some point, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, you need something singlet You've got to figure out a way to get you know, because you know these This is, as we said, the basics.
Speaker 1: It's the carrying cost.
Speaker 3: Because if you go from a situation of oh, about a fifteen dollars saved up a lot of money, fifteen thousand dollars a year, fifteen thousand dollars car, which is not it used to be expensive. Nowadays it's bigger and barely go and buy you anything. Probably something used with seventy thousand miles or something on it, maybe even one hundred thousand. So you buy that car, but now the carrying cost of said car, with car payment and with insurances now goes very very high. So the burn rate of the average balance sheet for an American just makes it very, very difficult. If you're the average income on seventy five thousand dollars a year household, good luck. I honestly, I don't know how I have two cars. Then almost impossible do whatever you have.
Speaker 5: Help with grocery prices, oh right, if that's if that's fifty percent more than it was a few years ago, you're getting killed, even if you got the best coupons for food line that you can find.
Speaker 1: It's very sad, it really is. It makes me sad. I can't imagine what.
Speaker 3: It's like for people who are out there, maybe with a couple of kids or whatever. Maybe you decide to have to downside to one car downside, so you quote unquote one car for one family.
Speaker 1: But that can be very difficult.
Speaker 3: As well, you know, especially if you live in modern suburb or somewhere like that. If you know, not like us, you don't live in an urban area, and you literally have to drive everywhere for it. This is a lot of downstream implications, you know, in terms of why this is all bad, so really really sad story.
Speaker 1: Wanted to make sure that we flagged it.
Speaker 3: Trump certainly has his work cut out for him, because this is gonna be one of those number one things.
Speaker 1: And honestly, that'd be one of the things that I would focus on too.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, we need to lower the price of car and carrying cost for these for everybody.
Speaker 1: It's not just homes.
Speaker 3: It's also just very basic stuff like this, food, car, gas, home.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you focus just on those four, you'd be here. But you know, nobody in Washington likes.
Speaker 11: To talk that way.
Speaker 3: All right, So speaking of skyrocketing insurance, shall we We'll get to Luigi Mangioni and the current developments in the case and also the social thought. Well, I wouldn't go that far. He didn't follow any of us, thank got that, you know, I was.
Speaker 1: I was a little worried about it.
Speaker 5: You were like, okay, dodge that one.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't need New York Times up my ass talk asking me about why this guy was was a fan or anything like that, even though we did swim in very very similar circles. So we've got two comedians winging, Joe Rogan and Bill Burr with some cutting analysis with them.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll get to that next. Let's take a list of the comedians.
Speaker 13: Bad und denying clams. Thirty thirty four percent denial rate, so normals like sixteen. Yeah, yeah, so those guys.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody's gonna like be crying too.
Speaker 13: Hard over that. Yeah, maybe it's family, but that's about it. Yeah, it's a dirty, dirty business. The business of insurance is fucking gross. It's gross, especially healthcare insurance just yeah, fucking grows.
Speaker 14: Well, you know what's annoying me about this, this kid who killed this ceo is none of these news programs are talking about the incredible lack of empathy from the general public about this because of how these insurance companies treat people when they are at their most vulnerable, after we've all given them our money every fucking month and now we finally need you, and all you do is deny us. And then these pussies and all of these things are taking the pictures of their CEOs off their websites. You know, I gotta be honest with you. Okay, I love that the fucking CEOs are fucking afraid right now. You should be, by and large, you're all a bunch of selfish, greedy, fucking pieces of shit, and a lot of you are mass murderers. You just don't pull the trigger. That's why it looks clean. That's why these people look, Oh my god, Oh he was just you know, walking into a hotel. It's like, okay, well, what was his job, what did he do? What was the results of it?
Speaker 1: Whoo Bill, my god, the beeps couldn't even keep up with Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was interesting, you know, got I mean, look, it's funny. I knew that the comedians were going to have a field day with this one, But with Bill, I don't even think he's joking.
Speaker 1: Completely.
Speaker 3: You already know that there's going to be some great, great sets that come out of this entire thing. But yeah, he certainly is trying to capture I would guess, what's the underground Internet mood of the country. And before we get to Elizabeth Warren, you know, we just have to put some of this stuff up there because you can see that there is a ground swell out there. I'm not endorsing it, but it is certainly out there. Let's go ahead and put what is it, C three up there on the screen. We play some vo of this. People are posting wanted pictures apparently all over the city of New York, showing the photos of CEOs of various different healthcare companies.
Speaker 1: You all so have.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the next one up there on the screen. You have the book the Delay, Deny, Defend Book, which was sited on the shell casings by LUISG. Mangioni that has surged to number three on the Amazon best seller list.
Speaker 1: Next see five.
Speaker 3: Please the jacket apparently worn by Mangioni is quote flying off the shelves. This is let's see a similar green truck.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, to be honest, you know, this is.
Speaker 3: Just a basic green trucker jacket. I don't really know what's so special about it. The Sherpa line hooded jacket from Levi's rings in at two hundred and twenty five dollars, just quote flying off the shelves. After people speculated it was the same coat that was worn there. I mean, I guess you know, I'll put in a plug for trucker jackets, specifically Levi's trucker jackets.
Speaker 1: They can be very stylish, they are very nice.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you could see there is a lot of hidden energy behind this, so much so that apparently people have been offering to the lawyer of Luisiami Manioni to pay his legal bills, something that the lawyer addressed in an interview. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 15: But but you said you were retained today. One big question that everyone has is are you being paid by his family to represent him?
Speaker 9: Yeah? I'm not going to comment on that.
Speaker 15: Well, can you say that it's not his family who is who is asking you to retain him or to retain you to represent him.
Speaker 16: I'm not going to comment on I'm not going to comment on that. That's I've been retained. I'm not court appointed. I've been retained, and that's all I can tell you.
Speaker 15: We had seen reports earlier that that there was, you know, people were inundating you with with offers to help pay for his his legal bills.
Speaker 9: Is that accurate?
Speaker 16: I I have she's some emails. I have not seen him personally, but my understanding from my staff is people are are doing that.
Speaker 15: The people are reaching out to you and offering to help pay for his legal bills.
Speaker 9: That's correct. Do you would you.
Speaker 15: Accept those offers? I mean, I imagine you maybe have. I don't know, have you ever gotten that before?
Speaker 9: Nah?
Speaker 7: Nah?
Speaker 9: Be honestly, I probably wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Why do you think you would not accept that?
Speaker 9: I don't know. I just don't. I don't know.
Speaker 16: I just don't feel comfortable about that.
Speaker 9: So I don't know. I haven't given that much thought. But I'm not looking, you know.
Speaker 16: I mean, I you know, obviously my client appreciates the support that he has, but I don't know.
Speaker 9: I just it I had that look in but it just doesn't sit right with me.
Speaker 11: Really.
Speaker 3: I love how non plus this guy is the entire injury refuses to look at the camera.
Speaker 1: Short answers, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like all the worst things you could possibly ask for in a television guest is to doing of not giving anything clear. So what do you think you think the family's paying him? I think so, yeah, you got I would think so. I mean, they're super wealthy, right, you know.
Speaker 1: But let the public pay if they pay maybe.
Speaker 3: But then that's the other question, is that did somebody reach out and to preemptively, you know, retain cat I.
Speaker 5: Would as the family he went to Gilman, which is like the one of the most expensive schools in the Maryland area.
Speaker 1: Question, yeah, you could know.
Speaker 3: I mean that's already been coming out, is that his own family has been very wealthy. They own a bunch of golf courses apparently or whatever. And then what do they own golf courses?
Speaker 1: They his brother's a GOP state his cousin, his cousin was a GOP state legislator.
Speaker 3: So clearly they're influential, apparently very well known in the Baltimore area, the Manngioni family.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Ryan, what do you think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, the first, the first politician to really kind of channel some of this, and she's getting a lot of backlash, is Elizabeth Warren. Okay, I think this This is a really interesting interview. And when you watch this interview, bear in mind the cliche in politics that they say everything that comes before the butt doesn't actually matter what it's what comes after the butt. And that's why people are like, oh, interesting, let's roll old base Elizabeth Warren.
Speaker 10: Here.
Speaker 17: What happens when you turn this into the billionaires run at all is they get the opportunity to squeeze every last penny. And look, we'll say it over and over, violence is never the answer. This guy gets a trial who's allegedly killed the CEO of United Health. But you can only push people so far and then they start to take matters soon it's her own hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, she's agel anti justice her whole career.
Speaker 5: She's been going after CEOs more than probably any other democratic ar. She did walk it back, though, has she already walked it back?
Speaker 1: Of course she's already walked.
Speaker 3: Well, you knew that, you knew that was bad, et cetera. Yeah, I mean, look, they're all trying to thread the needle, which I kind of find amusing, especially well for them and take It's like, oh, how do we do this?
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, we don't want to endoors violence. And she pushed the needl the furthest time. Do you think so?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, where you say, look, I don't support murder, but but but you can only.
Speaker 1: Push people so far, push people like that so far.
Speaker 4: That's about as far as a politician is going to take it.
Speaker 11: That's fair.
Speaker 1: I think that that is a certain and.
Speaker 5: Was certainly expected that that politician would then be forced to walk that back.
Speaker 3: We also have a hilarious clip so good that has come out of Luigi Mangioni's fellow prisoners who were able to shout at a cameraman for News Nation. Now as you and I were discussing, why are they playing News Nation in prison? Of all the yeah, of all the networks that's out there, NewsNation, but in prison.
Speaker 5: The context here is that Jesse Waters, apparently the most out of touch man in the entire United States, said that United Health CEO Brian Thompson's allies behind bars would give Luigia rough time. Yes, he was going to be really in for it because obviously inmates love nothing more than health insurancey.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, and.
Speaker 5: So his theory was actually put to the test as he's in a Pennsylvania prison here.
Speaker 3: So here Pennsylvania prisoners who are shouting back and forth with the News Nation camera crew about the conditions and other things inside the prison.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 18: This is just from a few hours ago, and here they are ten o'clock, as promised they said earlier today. Tell Ashley Banfield that Luigi is watching at ten o'clock. I mean, obviously, you know, that's just a hard roast at this point because they're not near Luigi in any way.
Speaker 19: Can I just ask the guys if they can hear me right now to answer yes or no very loud? Does Luigi have television in his single cell?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 20: They said no, Right, Obviously we have a little bit of a delay that they're getting. Yeah, they're getting the questions and they're and they're giving us the answer to me, he does not have Wow, this is quite something. This is the strangest interview I've ever conducted.
Speaker 18: Me too, Ashley. Uh, you know, according to the Department of Corrections, he's got his own solitary cell. It's not solitary confinement, but he's by himself. It's not dorm style. I'm not sure exactly what those guys got going on in terms of a living situation. It sounds like they're all clustered together. Isn't it interesting to see with the accommodations that they have. They got their own light switches. They're obviously watching TV any sort of ten o'clock curfew, you know, Yeah, they're they're doing at this very moment.
Speaker 3: That is pretty extraordinary. Also, what kind of facility. Is this guys can just yell out, you know, it's like cav.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is this a jail?
Speaker 13: Ye?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so this is this is most American prisons. So basically those dudes are in a common room. The windows are open. Probably they in fact, maybe they have the windows open and the heat on just just to make it miserable from both directions. But so it seems like all those guys are in the common room, it's you know, it's not yet time, you know, time to go back and sell and go to sleep. So they all sit around there and they and they're watching television news. Yeah, and they had like as you saw there, they had told they had yelled out the window to the crew, tell Ashley, we're gonna be watching at ten pm. Then sure enough they were there for their appointment at ten ten pm and communicating back and forth.
Speaker 1: You love to see it.
Speaker 5: So I think that waters theory that Luigi's gonna be persona no grada in American prisons is not not panning out so far.
Speaker 1: So I was speculating because so first of all, this is jail.
Speaker 5: Maybe he thought he was going to Dan. Maybe maybe Waters thought he was going to Dan.
Speaker 1: Berry, Dan Berry. That's in Connecticut.
Speaker 5: That's that's the that's the Connecticut one where all the rich people there.
Speaker 1: Luigi might have a problem, that's right, he certainly.
Speaker 3: Maybe you'd have more problem in the federal system, which is probably more phill filled with with criminals, white collar criminals and others. But if convicted, right, he would be in the New York State penitentiary system. We were speculating as to whether he'd be sent to that Dana Mora prison from the show Escape at Dana Mora with other violent criminals in the New York state system all the way up I think in upstate New York. But yeah, we'll see, we'll see what happens to him. It's going to be, as we said, it's going to be the trial of the century. I think we can at.
Speaker 1: Least guy's never gonna have to buy a cigarette, he thinks. So, he thinks, so all right, yeah, maybe we're right.
Speaker 3: Maybe, But are people going to remember in twenty years how long is he going to get if he gets convicted?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean also he's going to be so he's got back pain and to be in prison, Yeah, that's that's rough.
Speaker 3: And he also, I mean look, we I still don't know what he's gonna pleade. He could be he still could plead not guilty by reason of insanity, especially.
Speaker 4: Not guilty by reason of just finding not guilty.
Speaker 1: Certainly it could happen. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think so, just because of the way that I mean, people have tried that before, right in terms of like, oh I was justified in the crime. Usually the jury instructions are very narrow, so they're able to get around these. Yeah, the revolutionary time, they know how to go the FEDS and the cops. They know how to rig the system to make sure that stuff like that is not going to fly. But hey, look, maybe you're right, you know, speaking of that In terms of some of the questions surrounding Luigi Mangioni the Manifesto in the media's relationship, We've got Ken Clippenstein standing by. He's going to talk to us about his decision to publish the manifesto and why other media organizations have decided not to.
Speaker 1: Let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is independent journalist Ken Clippenstein. He's famous now for publishing the Luigi Mangioni Manifesto. Let's go and put it up there on the screen on his substack, the only journalist to actually do so. So yesterday counterpoints it a good job breaking the manifesto down. So maybe Ken, we can get into the decision of your decision to publish this manifesto and also what you discovered about the mainstream met and why they decided not to publish it.
Speaker 11: Hey, guys, good to be with you.
Speaker 21: So what I learned in the course of reporting on this and obtaining it, I didn't realize at first that so many of these major media outlets, from The New York Times, the NBC, ABC, the Washington Post had their own copies of it. We're sitting on it, we're quoting selectively from it, perfectly happy to do so, but for whatever reason, they weren't willing to publish it. And what I learned after speaking with friends and other contacts at these various outlets was that there was some pressure to report it, but that in the case of every one of those companies, senior management didn't want to.
Speaker 3: Interesting all right, So when you say senior management didn't want to, was it a management decision or there was some speculation there was some deal with the police.
Speaker 21: What can you tell us about that. Yeah, So there are a couple of reasons that are cited. I think it's mainly an access problem, a problem of source capture, where you get this document from law enforcement, and if you look at the reporting that's out there that initially was paraphrasing it, and I said before quoting in some cases from it, it's almost always attributed to a senior law enforcement official. That probably means the FBI, and what I was told in the case of NBC, at least there was an explicit deal with law enforcement that we give you this, you're not going to publish it. I don't know for certain that that's the case with other outlets. Yesterday I published a story based on internal chat records among the editorial staff on The New York Times in which is said, we're not going to publish it, and they made explicit reference to the wishes of their sources. So I think there's a serious problem of source capture here, which in the case of my publishing, it didn't apply to me, but applied to basically all these major outlets. So I think there's a really important critique of media here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is a thing that happens between and it's when you go, as Ken knows, is called going in the front door. You go in the front door of an agency. You're going right to the people basically, and.
Speaker 4: You're saying, hey, do you have this manifesto?
Speaker 1: Can I have it?
Speaker 5: And when you go in the front door, they have the leverage because then they can say, yeah, we do have it actually, and I will give it to you. But the condition is you can't quote these parts or you can't publish it in full, but you can paraphrase or whatever.
Speaker 1: And then you're stuck.
Speaker 5: Okay, I can either you agree to these terms and get something, or what you do is you go find other sources, you go in back doors, or you go inside doors. What I was curious about there are a couple of times in the manifesto where it says indecipherable. Did you get a printed a print version of it and it already said indecipherable? Or could you yourself not decipher the handwriting?
Speaker 21: So what law enforcement did was they were circulating their own copy of it because it's based on handwritten notes.
Speaker 1: May they typed up a version see exactly? So nobody has the original handwritten version.
Speaker 21: Yet I'm not sure that they don't have a photo of it some you know somewhere. But what was interesting about it was when law enforcement circulated this, it wasn't just the kind of senior national security reporters. It ended up being shared with a bunch of people at these outlets, I think, which I think undermines their whole argument that, you know, if people see this thing suddenly, like the Manchurian candidate, there's going to be an activation. It's an activation word that's just going to turn everyone into homicidal maniacs. Somehow, that doesn't apply to the media or their friends that they were sharing this stuff with, because I you know, I had heard that there were people not at all related to law enforcement or the story or national security that were just socially like, oh hey, check this out, you want this, And it's just the public. It's just the general public that can't see it. The media was all sharing with each other.
Speaker 3: So what I'm curious with here, then, Ken is I know that you had some reporting about inside of New York Times also about them not publishing a photo of Luigi MANGIONI.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us what's up with that?
Speaker 21: Yeah, so I got internal chat records of their editorial decision making, They had a for they had they had a directive from senior management that was sent out to the reporter saying, hey, let's quote dial down our use of photos of this guy, not not use a picture of his face in the In the statement I quoted in the story said something like we're not sure about the ongoing newsworthiness of this or something. And then the next morning they have a picture of him being marched to his arraignment and it's just his back.
Speaker 11: He's completely it's just like his debt. It was comical and it was like so childish.
Speaker 21: And I know that people at the Times are frustrated about this because again, something I want to stress when I critique the you know, major media, these are not monolists. There are people, there are good people in them that do good work and that don't agree with, you know, the dictates of senior management. But in this case, that's what the Time said, and I think it relates to the exact same thing we're talking about a moment ago, which is source capture.
Speaker 11: Law enforcement doesn't like that.
Speaker 21: They want to control the narrative, and look at how they've quoted from this story and used it to paint a certain picture of this guy. I give you very CNN had a segment where they were like, yep.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 21: Manifesto, it gives you a really clear idea that this guy's nuts, he's got some really serious psychiatric issues. And then we're not going to tell you probably know that, and we're not going to give you a passage that illustrates that, but just trust us.
Speaker 11: That's what it shows.
Speaker 21: And so it's very beneficial to law enforcement to be able to construct their own narrative and shape the public consciousness around what exactly happened when they don't give them the underlying documents. And that's the case now with the photograph too, because I think there are kind of two arguments mad tandem, one being that, oh, like I said before, the activation code is going to cause the public to become violent, which to me is just like the nineties debate about violent video games cause of shootings. You know, I don't find it very compelling, But you have to wonder if they even believe that, because in those same chats, well that might be the pretext, oh, you know, we care so much about public safety or whatever, which I think is problematic and self The reality is that they also have relationships with their sources and law enforcement that have their own whish is who they don't want to alienate to me.
Speaker 11: So those are kind of the two reasons that I saw.
Speaker 3: It seems really paternalistic in the age of Twitter, in an election where everybody was online, this idea that they can control, like whether people see this guy's photo or not.
Speaker 1: Go on social media, it's everywhere. It's all over twit.
Speaker 3: You can go check his own profile, like who are we to tell you what not to check or whatever? Show's show you a photo of the guy. This is the photo that he put out there.
Speaker 1: Right. This is now.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe there's a bigger conversation about glorifying killers or not, but Ken, you and I have been here long enough to know that there are plenty of terrorists and other people who have been front page on the New York Times.
Speaker 1: So what's up with this now? It's all about being selective.
Speaker 11: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 21: And it just speaks to the ludicrous self egoism that these major outlets have that they think that, oh, we didn't use the photo. Everybody time to go home. We don't know what he looks like anyway. It's like, guys, the Times hasn't had that kind of power in like decades, you know, like you're not that important.
Speaker 5: And what's interesting about that decision is that The Times in recent years has become and especially their editors, have become increasingly obsessed about traffic numbers, like in a way that they didn't used to be used to be. Everybody in the snake pit was fighting over getting on a one. Now now it's about the push alert in traffic numbers and hot image like that is going.
Speaker 1: To drive traffic.
Speaker 5: And so for them to cut against their own self interest is interesting because it suggests that there are these deeper, broader, more powerful interests at play here, Like what are you hearing anything about how The Times is directing or we're talking about guiding and framing the coverage itself, like because they're trying to grapple, I guess with this upsurge of support for him while pushing it down because of their own politics exactly.
Speaker 21: And I want to stress that directive came from the top. So it was a senior editor and he was saying, hey, we just got that. I don't remember what the exact words were, but we just got this from upstairs and then they just quoted a statement.
Speaker 11: So this is clearly coming from the leadership of the paper.
Speaker 21: I don't want to give people the impression that I just found some you know, random comment from some marginal person.
Speaker 11: This is the policy of the paper.
Speaker 21: And I would encourage people to go and check out on my subseat the exact quotes so they can see that this is something that's systemic and speaks to the concerns. I mean when you get to that, I can only speculate. I don't know what's going on in the you know, c suite of The New York Times, but I can see what's going on in the rest of major media on television and the public facing side, which is that they are extremely uncomfortable about all this and they'd rather just pretend it's not happening. I mean, in the case of the in the case of the manifesto that I published, you know, very shortly after, the Daily Beast confirmed its authenticity based on their own law enforcement sources, as did a couple of other websites. None of the major media has said a word about it. And when I try to get them on the record to even just tell try to be responsible like, here's their side of the story. Here's why they said that they don't want to publish it. They wouldn't even respond, not one I contacted for major media. Wow, think gets single or something. They won't even articulate a reason for why you're not allowed to see this.
Speaker 5: The Times published the entire Unibomber manifesto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess they're probably a little bit.
Speaker 3: Theoretically under under what was it? If I remember the circumstance, it was like he was like, if you don't publish it, then I'm going to attack somebody by the way. Yeah, but the irony is that that's ended up being his demise because the only reason he got caught is because his brother recognized the Yeah, exactly. So if anything, it's a justified I mean again, you know, if we could think back to the whole unibaber thing. Also, how funny is it that he four starred the Unibomber manifesto And let's all be honest, is manifesto is craped. It's a totally phoned in manifesto. You can get you could say a lot about ted, but he put a lot of thought into that thing. Okay, it was it was long it was a reasoned, especially volume one, Volume two, things get a little crap, a little weird. But you know, I think with this case Ken, in terms of other stories and other things that you're chasing with respect to that, you have found an extraordinary amount of support from the public for just telling people what they want to hear, which I think is great. You know, they want information, I'm not saying in a bad way, so like they want information, you're giving them the information. And instead these media outlets decide that they should be responsible for what other people get to hear and editorialize here and there. So can you just speak to that dynamic and how it's actually helped your own substack now by doing this.
Speaker 21: Yeah, this whole thing that I regard as a pretext that oh, we're protecting the public safety and they say other things. Did they did this when I published the Vance Dossier as well, which is a very similar parallel case where all these outlets had it, they wouldn't publish it. They say things like, oh, it's not newsworthy, or hey, our paraphrase basically told you everything in there, so what do you need to see what's under it?
Speaker 11: For which there's two problems with.
Speaker 21: I mean, you know, the coverage is dominated by a certain type of you know, person in Washington or New York City, who, even if they're trying their best to give the public a sense of what's relevant to their lives in.
Speaker 11: How are they going to know.
Speaker 21: How is vulf Blitzer going to know what some guy in I live in Wisconsin, who is going to be like, oh, you know, this guy would be interested in that. He's going to have a Washington idea of what's interesting in it. So that's problematic in itself, But I think the bigger issue here is the fact that they think that they've sort of deputized themselves into being these public safety officers. They're going to decide what's safe for the public, if that's even what they believe, if it's not just deals that they've cut with law enforcement, like we were talking about before, and so in the case of in the case of all this, I just wish there was some kind of public discussion about they never articulate any of their policies around these things, including around mass shooters and whatever their policy is on publication of photos.
Speaker 11: There's just no discussion.
Speaker 21: It's just kind of pretend it didn't happen, which is precisely what's happened to the manifesto. Not one of these outlets has even I have messages I didn't publish these saying yes, we know this is authentic. That's the real thing, guys, just to give you a heads up, and they link to my sub sect. They won't acknowledge that publicly. They're just all pretending it didn't happen. It's very strange, so stupid.
Speaker 5: Well, your your substacks blowing up as a result of it, and that's that's great.
Speaker 1: Great to see.
Speaker 5: Great great scoop Ken, thanks so much for joining us as Ken Clippenstein dot com. Right, and that's where people can get your substack, right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, probably the only one under that name.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, and we will have a link to it down in the description of this video. Thanks for joining us, man, We appreciate you.
Speaker 11: Good see you, guys,