Speaker 1: Welcome. It is Verdict with Senator Ted Cruz Ben Ferguson with you and Senator it is always fun to be able to do this show and talk to people that are experts in certain areas. And a dear friend of ours is going to be with us for this show, and it's so important the timing when we're dealing with such major issues on national security. We're dealing with what happened with Hamas and Israel, what's happening now between Russia and Ukraine, and also the intelligence failures that seem to be happening on a daily basis at our southern border with terrorists coming across our southern border. And I want you to introduce to the audience our special guests.
Speaker 2: Well, it is Thursday night, it is nine thirty eight pm Pacific time, and I am out on the West coast. I'm in La just landed not too long ago. Tomorrow I'm going on Bill Maher. So that's going to be wild and willy and should be fun. And so we are doing a special podcast here tonight that'll come out tomorrow morning with your and my mutual friend Rick Grinell. Now Rick Rick has had a storied career. He was ambassador to Germany under Donald Trump. He was the special the Special Presidential Envoy for Serbia and Kosovo for the peace negotiations again under Trump. And and then he was also the acting Director of National Intelligence under Trump, which is an incredibly important and difficult job, and I think he did an extraordinary job at it. And and so we're going to talk a lot of foreign policy. We're going to talk a lot of challenges facing the world. And and uh and and and Rick is a California native. So so we are in La La Land together. Rick, We welcome to Verdict. And welcome to Los Angeles. Senator, thank you for coming all the way out here. It's a long way, isn't it. It is a long way. I flew from Dulles straight out here, and that that is a long flight. It is longer than an iPad charge.
Speaker 3: It's also for you East coast, you can think about either flying to Europe or flying to California. It's about the same amount of time.
Speaker 2: You know. I got to say that may be the cruelest thing anyone has ever said about me. You just called me an East coaster. I'm in Texas and from Dulles, but from DC.
Speaker 1: On top of that, you couldn't be in Paris right now, but instead you're in LA So it's like a double whammy there.
Speaker 2: Well, look, as you know, it's it's it's one of my dirty little secrets that I have a soft spot in my heart for California. I married Heidi, who was a native Californian and her whole family are Californian, so I spent a lot of time out here, and it's it is an absolutely gorgeous state that has been cursed by idiot politicians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. And you know we we do not have a US senator that represents us at all on the conservative side, So you can be our senator.
Speaker 2: I am proud to be. And a point I make offense. So when I'm out here, regular people will will will stop me in the street and they'll say that they'll say, ted, I am the only conservative in California. And they're almost like they almost have like PTSD like they that they will sort of scrape the shape of a fish with their foot in the sand like they're in the coliseum. And I tell them all the time, look, no you're not. Yeah, And a point that I make frequently, Uh, what state has the most Republicans in it? Yeah, and the answer is California by far. They're more Republicans in California than there are in Texas. Now they're even more Democrats. You are, in fact outnumbered, but there's still a ton of strong conservatives in California. They're just besieged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's no question about that, and we're really trying to get more. I have an organization called Fixed California, which is literally doing the un sexy work of registering people who are not involved, sitting on the sidelines, uninspired, apathetic. Maybe they think that there's no way that they need to vote, that they should vote because it doesn't matter. But we're trying to empower people to say, get off the sidelines. And with that a little bit is to try to take some of the Sacramento types who are our friends, who are doing the good work, and highlighting them, raising them a little bit of money, giving them a little profile. So we're doing good work, but it's going to take us about four or five years to catch up.
Speaker 2: Well. The hard thing also in California is even though there are a lot of Republicans here, none of them believe it's possible to win statewide, and so turning Republicans out of an election here is insanely difficult. And I think there's a tipping point that if people believed it was actually viable and possible, you would see dramatically higher turnouts among Republicans. But a lot of folks stay home because they say, what the heck difference does it mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly why we still arted fixed California is because we thought if we can start changing the numbers every month and give people a little bit of hope, we think it will pick up. We think then there'll be a self fulfilling prophecy of hey, maybe I should vote, maybe I should get other people to vote. It's not a waste of time type of message.
Speaker 2: Well, and Republicans certainly have been able to pick up congressional seats in California, and without the California Republicans, we would not have a majority in the House. And so they're parts of California that are winnable, but they are parts that are just irredeemably blue. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we were trying, and we're so pleased to have people like you come through and speak and charge us up. We really are so thankful when we get some superstars through. So thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: It's great to be back. Rick.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you a question, and this goes to some of the big breaking news that's happening right now, and it deals with the massive intelligence failure. This is your wheelhouse, obviously, being in the intelligence area and working under the Trump administration. This reporting that's coming out is shocking that photographers that were working for the Associated Press, for CNN, for the New York Times and Reuters were embedded with Hamas on ten to seven and accompany the terrats into Israel. It's pretty clear that they knew the attack was coming. They've been accused by Israel now of not just being involved in the attack, knowing the attack was coming, but participating in it. And yet there was such an intelligence failure. We didn't hear anything about this, neither did Israel. How on earth did we get to a point where we missed the boat? Israel missed the boat, and yet these photographers working for APCNN, New York Times, Reuters were embedded with Hamas and accompany the terrorist group and then photograph the atrocities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of great questions there. Let's start with the second part, which is really about the intelligence failure. I actually don't believe that we didn't know that Iran and Hamas were planning. There's just no possible way that we didn't have pieces of raw intelligence. I think one of the crises that we have within the intelligence world right now is we have too many people playing politics that are analyzing the information. We have great collections process, but the people who are writing the analytical work, who are taking the pieces of raw intelligence and making assumptions, those people are two partisan. And imagine if you had the New York Times delivering opinion pieces every day, but nobody signed the opinion pieces, you wouldn't have any idea who these pieces are coming from, whether they're an expert, or whether they're just kind of bloviating. And that's what we have within the intelligence community right now. My first intelligence briefing was in two thousand and one. I am an expert on receiving intelligence as a public policy official and knowing whether or not it's useful. Many times it's not useful. I can't tell you how many. How do you tell the difference in your experience, Well, first of all, when the briefer tells you something and they say this is you know, top secret, and you say, well, I just read that in the newspaper today, it obviously is not. So we have an overclassification problem. A lot of the information is public, or maybe not as distributed as you would think, but still it's in the public domain somewhere. I can think of a million examples during COVID where that was happening, where people were pretending like this is top secret, but it had been published in some virologist magazine, you know, three months before. So we really do have a problem. But what I found is the overclassification problem was a pr strategy. When they didn't want something to get out, whether it was embarrassing or just a program that they didn't want anyone to know, they would literally classify the whole thing and then when you read it, you would see this is not something that should be classified. We now have you know, the information that is unclassified but you know sensitive, and you're like, wait, what if it's unclassified, then don't tell me that it's something that is supposed to be sensitive or not distributable. I do believe that the partisan nature of those who are writing the intelligence is really the key fundamental problem. When I was there, I brought in the Russia team and I said, you're way too political, you're reading into everything as a political I told the China team your way too slow, you're too thoughtful, you're slowing down because you don't want to cause anybody to make a move. And then the Israeli team was just completely wrong all of the time. So we need to be able to fix that system. And some of that is just cycling people out so that there's fresh eyes and fresh minds.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say, being a consumer of intelligence in the Senate, and I've been in a lot of classified briefings, my experience very much comports with yours. That ninety plus percent of what they tell you in a classified briefing you can read in the newspaper you knew already, And frankly, they want it classified because it's embarrassing and they don't want to admit it. But it's not. Look, there are times in a classified briefing where they say, you know, we intercept it such and such, and it's and you understand why it's classified. I mean, where there's sources and methods and there's certainly things that are included in it. But I do think there's a big overclassification problem because it's a way to insulate the administration from criticism for their foreign policy failure.
Speaker 3: So there's also another problem that when we go to brief members of Congress, they are just giving you the analytical pieces, so you're only getting what a group of people say, well, this is what we should give Congress on our thoughts about raw intelligence. What would be so much better if we could trust the members of Congress to keep it private, would be to give them some of that raw intelligence. Is to ask people to say, well, you know, what do you think actually when you see this, that, and the other. Don't wait for an IC wide agreement, which a lot of times is garbage because it's the lowest common denominator of what so many intelligence agencies kind of agree on. But to give some of the raw intelligence and let other people make some analytical choices about what's going on, I think that that's where we need to go. The other thing that I have to say is this Gang of eight idea is blooney, and this is the idea that the Senate and the House leadership are the only ones that get briefed. If it's good enough for the Gang of Eight, we should be briefing every member of Congress who is interested.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you one question, Ben asked, but to go back, are you surprised that the Israelis didn't know about this attack before it happened.
Speaker 3: I actually believe that the United States and the Israelis, of course had the raw intelligence that the analytical people just didn't put it together. They didn't want to assume that Hamas was going to make such a jump. But look at what's happening.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We've got the White House in John Kirby saying we didn't have any direct intelligence that Americans were being targeted. At the same time, they're confirming that we're doing strikes in Syria because they're coming at us. They're shooting down a drone. A drone, by the way, that costs thirty five million dollars of tax.
Speaker 2: The Mall Street Journal has reported that more than five hundred Haimas terrorists trained in Iran in September, the month before the attack. Now, mind you, I'm repeating what I read in the journal because nobody's bothered to give us an intelligence briefing. Actually, telling us if that's true or not. Other than the last intelligence briefing we had, there was a whole lot of cya of no, no, no, are giving them one hundred million dollars that had nothing to do with that. Ye don't blame that at all.
Speaker 3: And of course it did. You cannot give money to Iran and trust Iran, because that's really what they're doing. They're trusting Iran to somehow play like a responsible member of the international community. Bloomberg reported in August. There's a piece in Bloomberg whereby the Biden administration was very proud of the fact that they had unleashed the international sanctions and that it was working, that they were having great conversations with the Iranians. There was a trust factor there. But at the same time, Iran is making billions off its oil. It's getting more money from the Americans, from the Europeans and others, and we shouldn't be surprised that when you're feeding them and you're trusting them, and you were telling them, hey, let's have some conversations about moving you forward into a better nuclear agreement, that they are going to burn you. They've lied about heavy water, they've lied about the number of centrifuges. They've lied to John Kerry about so many things that he just assumed that they weren't lying on. Don't This to me is just the Democrats key trusting Iran and hopefully now they see that they can't.
Speaker 2: And let me go back to a topic we've covered on a previous verdict, which is what do you make of Rob Malley and why you got a security clearance yanked? And what do you make of the three Iranian operatives that were in his inner circle and how the hell did that happen.
Speaker 3: Look, I think Abril Haines has some questions that she needs to answer. She's not getting pushed at all. You look at all of the d and I's under Trump.
Speaker 2: All right, right, So tell tell our listeners who Abril Haines is.
Speaker 3: Abral Haines is the director of National Intelligence.
Speaker 2: So that's the role you had under Trump.
Speaker 3: Correct, and John Radcliffe had and some others. Look, we were under incredible scrutiny, constant pressure from the media to do this out or the other. And Abral Haines literally the last I checked, like, her last tweet was about Diane Feinstein's death, and she made a statement about Diane Feinstein's death, but she hasn't made a statement about all of these other things. And she gets away with it because when the media are not asking her the questions, then she wakes up every single day thinking, I don't have to answer these questions. I'm going to go and continue ignoring or continue hiding. She needs to answer what did we know and why did we not act? Was it an analytical failure? Was it an intelligence gathering failure? And then on Rob Malley, which is incredibly interesting. I want to know who approved his security clearance. I want to know which FBI agents signed off and what did they actually raise some concerns and red flags and got overruled. Did he even have a security clearance? Maybe he never had one and his time ran out where they said, you know what, we couldn't approve you, and so now you're out. That is a bit very real possibility that he was working in this job didn't have access to intelligence because he couldn't get a clearance. They're not answering these questions, and the media is not pushing we need.
Speaker 2: And in the Senate when we ask, they just give us the heisman. They completely stiff arm us and answer nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's unacceptable. And if we had more media pressure, if we had more people just insisting, why isn't April Hanes being hounded to answer these questions? Why are we not camping out at dan I There are so many times that they did that to us, where CNN was watching when you were leaving, and they knew where you lived and they would follow you. But that just doesn't happen. So she wakes up every day and thinks, I don't have to answer these questions.
Speaker 2: Do you think there will be any reckoning, any accountability for the intelligence failures that led to a failure on the American part to anticipate the October seventh attack and do anything to prevent it.
Speaker 3: It's a really interesting question. I think that there will be a CYA strategy to say, well, we did see some raw intelligence, we didn't have enough time to write the analytical piece, so we didn't share anything with Israel. But that's unacceptable. What was in the PDB, What was the president briefed on? What was Jake Sullivan briefed on? If we had raw intelligence that said Hamas is working with the Iranians on an attack somewhere and somebody poo pooed it. You know, the same team remember that told us that if you moved the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, there would be World War three. That same team was watching what Hamas was doing with Iran. Think about that. They completely got it wrong. Not only did we not have World War three, but we actually ushered in the world peace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I will say that there has been no accountability for number one, the military failures and intelligence failures on the withdrawal from Afghanistan, which was absolutely catastrophic, and no one's lost their job, and there's been no inquiry. The Senate Democrats have zero interest in even finding out what went wrong. They just want to sweep it under the rug. And there's also been no accountability at all for the dramatically wrong intelligence assessment of the Ukraine War. I mean, I mean I sat in Senate wide briefings where the Defense Department, the State Department, the entire intelligence community, every one of them told every senator this war will be over in a matter of days. It will last less than a week. Putin will roll in, he will conquer all of Ukraine and it'll be over in just days. And we're now years into the world, and that intelligence consensus because there was no disagreement. Every single briefer, everyone agreement, you know, and it was wildly wrong. And there hasn't even been a minute of reflection or assessment. How did we get so wildly wrong? And how do we prevent that from happening the next time?
Speaker 3: There's one more angle to that. As you know, I've worked at the State Department for twelve years. I'm really a diplomat, and I care deeply about the State Department. And we messaged, we heard the US government, the Biden administration messaged for three straight weeks, putin is coming. A war is around the corner. It's going to be bloody and brutal. A war is coming. Why didn't the Secretary of State immediately get on his plane and go to Kiv with all of the foreign ministers in Europe and say no before if we know for sure that a war is coming, the Secretary of State has an obligation and a responsibility to try to find a peaceful solution. I believe that they've shoved b. Lincoln right off the stage. They just don't trust him.
Speaker 2: It's weird. He doesn't act like a Secretary of State. He's a staffer. Yeah, I've never seen a Secretary of State as diminished as Tony Blincoln is in this administration.
Speaker 3: I completely agree. And by the way, all of my friends of the State Department. I have a ton of friends who are not even really conservatives, but they're just good foreign service officers who salute. They're horrified. We're the first ones that are being evacuated from everything. The foreign service officers, many of them are They join the Foreign Service to solve problems. They don't want to cut and run. They want to be there, except they're pushed off the stage. They were pushed off for Afghanistan. No one has come up with even a peace idea. Now. Look, I want to have peace through strength. I think the President of the United States, when they're in the Oval Office, needs to have two strong voys. The Secretary of Defense that says, move over, because I'm going to kill everybody and we're not negotiating, and the Secretary of State that says, you wait a minute, because we need sob diplomats at that table. And the Democrats keep mocking tough diplomats. But if you want to avoid war, you better have and sob as the diplomat pushing and saying, wait a minute, we're going to try to negotiate. It's not weak need, it's not culinary diplomacy, it's real diplomacy.
Speaker 2: Well, and I will say peace through strength, which which you and I both agree with strongly. Look, it's worth remembering that during eight years of his presidency the biggest country Ronald Reagan invaded was Granada. That when you have a strong commander in chief, people don't want to screw with you.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I think if Trump were still president, we would not have a war in Ukraine. This would not have happened, among other things, because Nordstream two would never have been completed. You and I worked very closely together on Nordstream two.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you for all your work. You were the one of the only ones pushing really hard. When I was in Europe. I was so thankful that you were there, and I agree with you. If Merkle had not gone to Joe Biden and said, look, you want to be nice to your allies or do you want to push us aside? Because we're asking you, we will applaud you. You will be able to come to Europe and everybody will love you if you drop these sanctions on Nordstream too. They did it, The Senate Democrats did it. And there are some atrocious speeches from Senate Democrats on Nordstream too, and why they were dropping those sanctions. I keep pushing the media to say, go pull Chris Murphy's speech, go pull these other speeches. They were one hundred percent wrong about Putin and the war, and it signaled when they dropped those sanctions. It's signaled to Putin, now's the time to come back and finish the job that you started under Obottom.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you something that you may or may not know, but it was a very revealing aspect. So Nordstream two. I authored the first sanctions legislation in twenty nineteen. We passed in December twenty nineteen. Putin stopped constructing the pipeline from Russia to Germany literally the day Trump signed my sanctions legislation into law. I authored a second sanctions legislation in December of twenty twenty that signed into law as well. Biden becomes president January twentieth, twenty twenty one. Putin resumes deep sea construction of Nordstream two. Four days later January twenty fourth, because Biden foreshadowed weakness, and several months later he formally waived the sanctions that gave a multi billion dollar gift to Putin allowed him to finish the pipeline. As you know, I put a hold on every State Department nominee, which caused the State Department to lose their minds in order to try to force them to stop Nordstream two to avoid this war. Finally, at the end of twenty twenty one, I released a big tranch of State Department nominees in exchange for a vote on reimposing sanctions in January of twenty twenty two. Now here's the bit that you may or may not know, but it's very revealing. The day of the vote, Joe Biden personally came to Capitol Hill to lobby the Democrat senators to vote against sanctioning Nordstream two. It was the only time in his first two years in office that I know of that he came to Capitol Hill to lobby the senators. So think about the level of priority. And at the time we were voting, President Zelenski publicly begged the Senate passed these sanctions or else Russia will invade the Government of Poland begged us pass these sanctions or else Russia will invade.
Speaker 3: Most Eastern European countries.
Speaker 2: Forty four Democrats flipped. They had voted with me twice before, but at Joe Biden's personal behest they voted in favor of Russia, in favor of Putin, and four weeks later Russia invaded it.
Speaker 3: Well, it was an absolute moment. You are exactly right. I tell everybody this was the moment that Putin saw weakness. Yes, the opposite of America first is consensus with the Europeans.
Speaker 1: If you're a guy, I wanted to ask you a question, do you feel like, as you've gotten a little bit older, maybe you're losing your edge. Do you feel like fatigue is setting in? Do you feel like you just don't have that strength and vitality that you used to have? Now you're not alone. Testostrum levels have dropped off a cliff historical you right now to all time low. There's article after article there's coming out about low testosterone and what do you do about it? Well, I can tell you what I've done about it, and that is I'm now taking the mail Vitality Stack from Chalk. Chalk is a company right here in the US of A that helps men just like you maximize your masculinity by boosting your testosterrum levels up to thirty percent over ninety days. The Mail Vitality Stack has been clinically studied to boost your testostern level twenty percent thirty percent ninety days. You can supercharge your game with higher t and more natural energy and increase muscle mass. Now this is the reason why you've got to check out Chalk. You can go to chalkcchoq dot com today to start reaping the benefits of the reigning champion of natural men's health. You can use the promo code Ben for thirty five percent off the Mail Vitality Stack subscription right now. That's Choq dot com. Use the code Ben for thirty five percent off any Chalk subscription for life and boost your testostrum levels up to thirty percent.
Speaker 3: In ninety days.
Speaker 1: Rick, I want to ask you a question about and you talked about Anthony Blincoln in just the diminished role, but when you look at these intelligent screw ups, and you talked about how you were managing things when you were in the Trump administration. How much of these failures may come down to the fact that Joe Biden just can't handle the job as being president, and they may be avoiding even briefing him or letting him make decisions, and that people underneath him are doing things so much on their own that everybody's basically a mini president in this administration because they don't know which way to run.
Speaker 3: So I have a slightly different thought and belief about Joe Biden because of my experience with him as the head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He loves to be loved, He likes to know all of the world leaders. He wants the appla from all of them. He wants the dude man bro moment with with world leaders. And so when people come like Chancellor Merkele come and they ask him to do something, he literally wants consensus with them. He wants to be loved, he wants the Europeans to like him. And so I have this great story of you know, sitting across from Chancellor Merkle, who I actually really liked and respected quite a bit, and you.
Speaker 2: Were ambassador to Germany for three years a.
Speaker 3: Little over two over two and I once in talking to Chancellor Merkele about some subject. She said to me, you know, Rick, one of the issues that I have with your president is that I just don't know what he's going to do. He's not predictable, and that creates a lot of problems for US in Germany. And I remember smiling and thinking, you know, don't smile too big, be nice here. But I said, you know, Madam Chancellor, with all due respect, this is exactly what I've been waiting for for a president. It is really important that you and others can't determine and predict what the US president is going to do. That creates a credible threat of military action. Not just a threat of military action, but it's a credible one. And when it's credible, people act differently.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right, all right, So here's an interesting question. What's the coolest part and the crappiest part of being an ambassador? An ambassador to a major country. You know, Germany is not some island down on the Caribbean. It is a major world Power's what's the coolest and worst part about that job?
Speaker 3: I think the coolest moment that I had I had two cool moments. One is when you present your credentials in Germany and you walk out of the President's house the German National band is playing the American It was so cool, and you know, as this little kid from Michigan who never thought that I could represent the United States, it was a moment that was pretty emotional. And then the second thing is is I'm a big MMA fan. I don't really like the opera or the ballet, and I think it was the first ambassador to not go to the opening of the Berlin Opera and the you know, fancy stuff in Munich. But I did bring the MMA and the UFC to Germany, and I got to go pretty regularly in Germany and really help that industry in Europe. Now the worst part, yep, I think the worst part about being an ambassador is having security. I hate it, to be honest. I'm somebody who likes to think about going to the gym when I feel it, not when I plan it. So I would plan to go to the gym in the morning because you have to tell security, and then you'd wake up and be like, actually, I don't feel like going to the gym right now. So I didn't like having to determine my whole schedule and having security. I'd much rather be you know, winging it now.
Speaker 2: How frequently are ambassadors doing the whining and dining thing? I mean, you know, you have gazillionaires who go be ambassadors and you know, spend a bunch of money on a incredible wine collection.
Speaker 3: How much is that part of the job. I mean, it can be the whole part of the job if you want it to be. You can go and just have a lot of fun and pretend like you're an ambassador from America, but you're really doing a travelog of the whole country, and your Instagram is about how great the other country is. I find that to be pathetic. To be honest, I think if the American people are paying you, you should be the Office of America overseas. And so everything that I did had a purpose. If we were going to try to squeeze a ron, I would bring in business lead to say, you know, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but you either are going to work in America or you're going to work in around but you're not going to do business in both, So choose which one. And we tried to be very social with a lot of different issues that matter, and not just things that I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Well. I will say what Heidi and I brought our girls to Europe for a summer vacation several years back, but we were in Germany. You very kindly hosted us at your residence, which really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh that that residence was amazing, great history. It was the Nazi Party of Berlin's headquarters as well.
Speaker 2: That's kind of creepy.
Speaker 3: It was creepy and it had a long history. But the American military, the US Army, took it over used it as a guesthouse for military leaders for a while. And when Germany was reunited and they needed an American ambassador's residence back in Berlin, and the State Department stepped in and said to the military, we'll take this back.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you a question about what it was like also being an ambassador in Germany. You were there from eighteen to twenty and it wasn't as hostile I think then as it is now politically, especially on the world stage, especially if you're connected to Donald Trump. What was it like early on in How were you treated?
Speaker 3: Look, I had a great experience. I have a lot of friends in Germany, there are a ton of conservatives in Germany, and the German business community is a lot like the American business community. You kind of can't tell the difference. I mean, Luftanza, for instance, has twelve thousand American employees, and you could do this with Dommler and BMW and you know whatever the German company is, so they act very much the same. I think the different is that the German business community will talk about the government in a negative way privately, but publicly they won't criticize the government, so there's a little bit of fear there. But I felt like I could completely say what I needed to say. I spoke to groups constantly, and I was brutally honest about Nordstream two and about defense spending, telling them just how Americans felt when they when we see the largest economy in Europe not paying their NATO obligation but feeding the beast with Nordstream two. And that really went over well, I think with everybody but the government.
Speaker 2: You know. One of the things I found remarkable in Germany is that when we went to the Brandenburg Gate, and as you know, I have in my office a gigantic painting of Reagan in front of the Brandenburg Gate with the words tear down this wall in German and the style the graffiti that was on the wall, and I think those are the most consequential words uttered by any leader in modern times. Well, when you go to the Brandenburg Gate and you go to where Reagan gave that speech, there's almost nothing from the German government commemorating it. There's a small little brass plaque on the ground that's maybe six inches wide that is where he gave the speech, and other than that, there's nothing. Yeah, and that that I found astonishing. Did that surprise you?
Speaker 3: It did? And to be honest, to the Reagan Library here, I have a lot of friends at the Reagan Library because of the California connections, and they all said to me, like, what's going on? Why is Germany giving Ronald Reagan his due? And when I got there, I decided to go straight to the mayor of Berlin, and he was a diehard socialist, and I said, you know, Mayor, what what's up. You have a lot of memorials to Russians and others, but there's nothing for Ronald Reagan. And he told me he goes. You know, you Americans, you always overplay Ronald Reagan. You pretend like he did a lot more than what he did. And I was like, well, we think that he was the catalyst. And so we were asking for a statue and he formally told me no. So, as you know, in the embassy, it's pretty amazing location. And I decided to take the terrace, the whole terrace of the US Embassy and turn it into the Ronald Reagan Terraces. And we put a seven foot statue of Ronald Reagan on top of the terrace looking out at that at the Brandenburg Gate. But the most amazing thing that we did, and it was a last minute thought, is you walk all the way out to the edge and you're looking down below where the wall was. You see the spot where Reagan gave the speech. And I put up a kiosk and you can press the button and you can watch while you're out on this little ledge feeling like you're just alone, and suddenly you're watching the speech right from where it took place. I have to tell you I've taken probably twenty senators out to do that. I always stop and let the moment be felt, and I've seen a lot of tears from the US Senators from US officials who say this is one of the most amazing moments. I do think that the US Embassy in Berlin is probably the best location of our embassies in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's I love that you put that statue up. That was long overdue. Do you know did the Biden guys leave it up? It's up.
Speaker 3: It's still up.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm glad to I hadn't heard that it had been taken down, but I anchored it.
Speaker 3: Pretty pretty hard to the concrete and I made sure that it would stay. So it's there. But you know, the funny thing is, I let me just quickly say I invited Chancellor Merkle to the opening to the dedication, and she said, oh, you know, I can't come, but you will. You let me know when you do a Bush statue because Bush united Germany and that made the whole world difference.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you about our dear friends over Patriot Mobile. For ten years, they are celebrating their decade being a business. Patriot Mobile has been America's only Christian, conservative, conservative wireless provider. And when I say only trust me, they are literally the only one. The team at Patriot Mobile have been great supporters of not only the show, but they're also great supporters of our First and our Second Amendment rights. They're great supporters of children who are unborn protecting their lives. And this is why I love them as a company. Right now, if you switch your cell phone to Patriot Mobile, they are going to give a donation for their tenth anniversary to a organization that supports the lives of unborn show, and then every month when you pay your bill, they're going to get back to conservative causes. So you know that when you make every phone call and every text message, you're standing up for what you believe in. You're supporting free speech, religious freedom, the sanctity of life, the Second Amendment, and our military veterans and first responder heroes. They've got one hundred percent US based customer service team that makes switching your cell phone easy.
Speaker 3: You can keep the same cell phone number you have right now.
Speaker 1: You can keep your same phone or upgrade to a new one, and when you pay that bill every month.
Speaker 2: You know you're standing up for what you believe in. How do you switch?
Speaker 1: You just call them nine seven to two Patriot whether it's for you or your family or a business nine seven to two Patriot. It's nine seven to two Patriot. Use the promo code Verdict You'll get the best deals of the year and free activation. It's nine seven to two Patriot or Patriotmobile dot Com. I want to ask you about another question that deals with the southern border, and I want to go back to putting you're, you know, taking the ambassador head off, going back to the national intelligence. You look at our southern border right now, and it doesn't take a very bright human being to understand that an open border the way it is now is a national security threat.
Speaker 2: There are more and more people that are saying this.
Speaker 1: We saw the FBI Director Ray saying that we're at the highest level in his opinion, since nine to eleven for the prospect of an attack in this country. We know that terrorists are coming across the border. Though on the terrorists watch lists that have been caught, these terrorists are not trying to turn themselves into border patrol agents. They're trying to become guidaways. We have no idea how many terrorists have made it into this country undetected so far. But when you look at the warnings now and you look at what just happened, and you look at the warnings of possibilities of the same type of style attack that we just saw in Israel, and yet we still have an open border, and we still have my Orcas before Congress was at yesterday day before saying that no, he doesn't believe we need a border wall. What is your reaction from an intelligence standpoint?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ben's good question, because you know, I got to believe that all of the intelligence officials who are collecting raw intelligence see it on a daily basis. They're seeing I mean, how else do we know that someone from the terrorist watch list is crossing the border. It's because of raw intelligence. We're figuring it out. But I think that it's being hidden when they report it. It's not being analyzed and talked about, it's not being put into the president's daily briefing. All of that information is completely being suppressed. And once again we should be asking these questions of Avril Haynes. You know, what are you seeing at the border? What are you hearing at the border? And you know, she's just not getting pushed on it, but it's clearly extremely dangerous. Everybody knows that you're not going to have a country if you have open border. We all know that. But I find the most outrageous thing is that the media are complicit in this problem, because Democrats would have to face the music if they were hearing from the media in their home states, if they were being pushed and held to account like they used to when I would sit around and watch the news with my dad as a kid, the news was kind of holding both sides to account.
Speaker 2: Well, Rick, this is a point that we've made a lot on this podcast and that I make in my brand new book, Unwoke, which is that the corruption of the media and Donald Trump I believe broke the media, he shattered their brains. That has played a critical role in driving today's Democrat party to such extremes and go so crazy left because they never ever, ever get questioned on any of it. So there's no downside to giving in to the radical extreme in their party. They never fear that they will get a hard question at home, They never fear they'll get a bad story at home. And so I think the abandonment of any effort at journalism by the corporate media has been one of the most destructive developments in recent years.
Speaker 3: I totally agree because it's unleashed, right, there's no consequences, there's no downside, so they get to do and say anything they want. As I watch April Haynes and you know, she got into office and immediately in order to please Iran, one of the first things she did was manipulate past intelligence to pretend like it was real. And they went after the Saudis and the Kushogi issue all over again. They literally there was nothing new in that report. It was repackaged to hit the Saudis hard after we had basically looked at them and tried to make some changes. Uh, and we're trying to heal that relationship.
Speaker 2: She opened it up or on the verge of signing the Abrahamicord, Yes, and until Biden screwed that up.
Speaker 3: True, and and they I look back now, and it makes sense to me. The reason they did it is because they wanted to show the Iranians that somehow that they were going to play more fair and that they were going to be nicer to the Iranians by beating up on the Saudis. Right, and then why aren't we talking about the fact that they took the Houthis off the terrorist watch list, and the Huthis are the ones who just shot down the drone.
Speaker 1: Why were they taken off that list? To me explain the politics behind.
Speaker 3: That, Well, I think again it's a it's a gift to the Iranians. They're they're trying to please them because they want to get back, and you know they will spin that somehow the international sanctions was pressure, were pressuring the Iranians and therefore they were closer to a nuclear bomb because of the sanctions and the grip that we had. And again this is the same strategy that they had with Russia. When you go and you see Democrat senators making the case for dropping the sanctions on Nordstream too, it is in summary they keep saying, well, we don't want to stick it in the eye of the Russians. This pipeline in US, sanctioning it, making it not come online is creating problems. So we must therefore let the pipeline flow through with gas because things are going to be better if we don't stick it in the eye of Putin. This is this was the argument.
Speaker 2: Appeasement always, always, always fails. It invites bullies and tyrants to be aggressive to invade it causes war absolutely. I mean Joe Biden inherited peace and prosperity. We now have the biggest land war in Europe since World War Two and the biggest war in the Middle East of our lifetimes. I mean, I mean that is and and you know you're talking about the Saudis. Look, in my view, the dominant foreign policy objective of Joe Biden and his team has been to re enter an even worse Iran nuclear deal, and everything in the Middle East hinges on. Why do they go after the Saudis so ferociously For the same reason that I am largely pro Saudi, which is that the Saudis are the most important regional counterweight other than Israel to Iran. Now, look, the Saudis have lots of problems, so I described the Saudis as a problematic ally, but we want them to be an ally and we want them to be strong as a counterbalance to Iran. That's precisely why the Biden administration wants the Saudis to be weak, because everything is servient to getting in another deal with Iran, including in the middle of this Ukraine war. After Biden's weakness causes the war in Ukraine, it has now become the ultimate Democrat virtue signal to wear a Ukrainian flag and commit that we must be in the war until the end of time. And even while they say that, they continue to flow now roughly one hundred billion dollars into Iran, much of which goes into Iranian drones. That Iran becomes the top weapon supplier to Russia, and so Biden is funding both sides of the Ukraine War.
Speaker 3: Well, there's no question about that. And this goes back to what my original point on Iran. It sounds crazy, but they trust the Iranians. There's some belief Jake Sullivan. Maybe it's just a white paper intellectual exercise that if you're nicer to them, somehow they're going to give up a nuclear weapon. And they really believe that. In the NGO community totally supports that, and we call it a peacement. But they they're trying once again engagement. And this is one of my problems with the foreign policy community is that we should be able to try engagement, try sanctions, try all sorts of things, but we should quickly evaluate whether it's working or not. We could talk all day about Venezuela, because I think that's a failure of a policy.
Speaker 2: It is, you know, It's worth also underscoring that the Biden administration's top Iran diplomat, Rob Malley, who's been fired and has his security clearance pulled and is nonetheless than a cushy job at my alma mater at Princeton, which is really disgraceful. His inner circle included three individuals who were Iranian operatives recruited by the Iranian government, reporting directly to the Iranian Foreign Minister and advancing Iranian policy agendas within the United States government within the Biden administration, one of whom, as far as we know, is still a chief of staff in the Department of Defense to this day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they've been caught asking the Iranian diplomats for sign off, yes, for speaking engagements. It's really so outrageous, so treasonous. But once again, you don't see any of these national security reporters at the New York Times of the Washington Post or Politico or anywhere else putting pressure asking the questions. They get away with it.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you another question. So you were the Director of National Intelligence under Trump, you were acting DNI for how long it was a short period of time.
Speaker 3: A short period of time supposed to be three months, but it was about four and a half.
Speaker 2: So it's four and a half months. It was the most consequential tenure at DNI that I have seen, and you really shook that place up in a very short time period. And I guess what I would ask is number one, how did you do that? How did you take on the deep state, which, which is real throughout government, but especially in the intelligence community, is a persistent problem and lots of conservatives sometimes feel frustrated and say, well, you can't take on the deep state, And I think you managed to do it remarkably during that tenure. And what I would say, as a second part of the question is what advice would you give to the next Republican Cabinet member coming into office and facing career bureaucrats that are ideologically and passionately opposed to the next Republican president and the agenda of the next White House.
Speaker 3: Well, let me take the second part first. I think the reality is is you can't hire someone whose livelihood is Washington, DC. You're hiring somebody who needs a job later in the Washington system, where reporters go to church with politicians and lobbyists. They live in the same communities. They're never going to make big, bold decisions because they'll have the ire of their friends and their church acquaintances. What I believe that you have to do is hire people also who really don't care about their New York Times profile piece, who somehow have the ability to make the right decisions. I've told President Trump we're going to fix the personnel problem when he's president, and the first thing is is to look at every resume and if the resume has a Washington, d C. Address on it, throw it away. We can hire people from outside of Washington, d C. What happened with me at D and I is actually pretty simple. When I came into D and I, one of the first things they did is they gave me four reports that had been done over the last ten years of how to fix the intelligence system. I read the reports and I thought, well, a lot of this makes sense. We've got duplicitous programs, we've got people who it's supposed to be a coordinating body, and yet it's no longer a coordinating body. It's actually a competitive body. It ballooned to more than two thousand people. It should be like two hundred people. And so I just started sending people back to their home agencies D and I the OD and I had become the wasteland. If intelligence agency didn't like somebody, rather than fire them, they sent them over to OD and I. And so I just started sending people back and getting rid of every possible person that we could, freezing hiring. I did this in Germany well, and forcing people to rethink this. You've got to be able to play the system. But you got to know the system. And I've worked at the State Department, and I knew how the federal government works to where you can come in and manipulate it and start using its own rules against it. I do think though, that in order for us to make big, bold decisions, Congress is going to have to somehow change the way the labor force is legally allowed to be cut. As you know, and I'm preaching to the choir here, but when we come up with new technologies and we decide to spend on a different program, by definition, other things should fall. People should be fired, the program should be eliminated. And that's not happening. Rick.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you coming on I know, the Senator, and I love having you here, and congratulations on an incredible career. I have a feeling that final chapter in your career is nowhere close to being finished, and there's a lot more to look forward to with your leadership in this country as well. And so again, thank you so much for coming on Verdict being a part of this. Don't forget every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we do this show. Make sure that follow that subscribe or auto download button wherever you're listening right now. And on Saturdays, much of what you may have missed later in the podcast each week we put together in a weekend review, so makes you grab that on Saturday mornings or in Sundays, maybe you're in the car driving to and from the games or something makes you grab that as well. And the Senator and I will see you back here in a couple of days