Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my.
Speaker 2: Ball in a brid egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Friday Friday Bride Egg.
Speaker 3: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to another edition of the FRIDAYGG Podcast. This afternoon, we have Wyndham Clark as our guest. Wyndham is a star player for the Oregon Ducks and the top ranked college golfer.
Speaker 1: He's a senior and is right now prepared for the.
Speaker 2: National Championships here in Chicago at Rich Harvis Farms.
Speaker 1: Wyndham, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I think obviously, you know, a lot of the golf community doesn't pay that much attention to college and amateur golf. You know, why don't you start by telling everybody a little bit about yourself and who you are and how you got into golf.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so I'm from Denver, Colorado. I got into golf because my mom. She took me to the course when I was three years old, and I just instantly started liking it. I hit two buckets of balls and wanted to go back the next day. So I fell in love with golf, and it was kind of something that my dad and I used to do growing up. And as I started playing more and more, I started having some success. And then that's kind of led.
Speaker 1: Me to hear, cool.
Speaker 2: Uh, do you did you play any other sports or anything growing up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did. I played everything, you know, from hockey, the baseball, football, basketball, soccer. I played it all. I started as years going on, quitting some of the sports and just focusing on mainly just basketball and golf. And then after my freshman year of high school, I stopped playing basketball and just focused on golf.
Speaker 1: Cool. Cool, that's uh, that's cool.
Speaker 2: And then, uh, in Denver you kind of had probably a shorter season there, so it lined itself well to doing a lot of stuff outside of golf.
Speaker 4: Huh, Yeah, it was. It was great. Basketball was perfect for it, just because you know, it's during the winter time and when it was harder to play. MIGHT didn't even worry about it. I was playing basketball and enjoying that, and then as the weather got better, I was really excited to get out and play golf, and so I think that really helped me not burn out at a young age just because I you know, wasn't playing it, you know, twenty four seven, three sixty five, I was really playing at about seven months a year. So I think that helped, yeah, growth in the game.
Speaker 1: Where where'd you grow up? Playing out in Denver?
Speaker 4: I was fortunate enough to grow up playing at Cherry Hills Country Club. We joined there when I was about eleven years old and have been there ever since.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: That's Arnie's Arnie spot for that first US Open, right, yep?
Speaker 1: Sure, pretty cool.
Speaker 2: So so then you got into you got into college golf, and you started at Oklahoma State and you know, freshman year you were you were a Big ten Player of the Year All American. And you've played for a couple of different coaches because you know, you had Mike McGraw and then he left Oklahoma State and you had Bratton there and now you're at with Casey Martin. Kind of tell us a little bit about what you've learned, you know, having three different coaches and kind of the experience of you know, like different personalities.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny, had you brought that up. I've never even thought about it that I had three different coaches, but yeah, it's been it's been an interesting journey out of high school. I was really interested in Kathy Martin and what he had to offer here, but I also was really intrigued by coach Mike McGraw and he was ultimately the reason why I chose Oklahoma State, and playing for him was was awesome. I mean, he's an amazing man and really was like a father figure to me, and I think it was really needed for myself with a lot of things that happened my freshman year, had a tough freshman year off the golf course, and so he really helped me with that. And then coach Alan Bratton was a different dynamic than coach McGrath. He you know, wasn't quite as intense as McGraw was and wasn't necessarily like a father figure to me, which is not a bad thing, but he he was a lot more of a players coach because he was still I mean, he's such a great player, and you know, he was a walker cupper and won an actual championship and played on tour, and so he was really good at preparing for tournaments and knowing what it takes to get on tour. And then now with Casey, Casey's also what I call the players coach, just because he he's a great player and still is a great player. And and then I you know, I've really learned a lot from all the things that he's had to deal with with his leg and his adversity, and we relate on that level a little bit. And and then you know, as far as his personality, he's he's a very intense guy and definitely demands a lot from you. But at the same time, he's real lighthearted and easy going, kind of away from the golf course. So you know, he has a good, good balance of intenseness and focusedness but also being able to have fun and enjoy things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine Casey with all of his experience.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously he had a great career, but you know cut short with with the like problems and you know kind of all you know that he's gone through is just huge for you know, you guys, and you know, helping you get through you know, tougher situations and just putting things in perspective.
Speaker 4: Man J Yeah, definitely, So you know, in terms of h I mean just.
Speaker 2: Kind of curious having played for you know, three different coaches, Like, you know, if you were going back and you know, redoing the whole college choice thing would do, how would you go about the process of picking a college differently?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't regret going to Oklahoma State or playing for three coaches. I love Oklahoma State and it's an amazing school and have played for two great coaches. But after you know, everything that I've gone through and experienced, I think if I were to do it over again, I would mainly just look at which coach makes their players better. And I would look at their track record of you know, what recruits they got coming in, you know, out of high school, and how they progressed over their career, and how many guys that they've kind of put out on were or you know, or went from kind of in a sense a nobody so then being a first team All American or or anything like that. So I would have it be one hundred percent focused on which coach is going to make me better. I was a little bit, you know, I when in high school, I really was looking at you know, facilities and what was more attractive and and all that stuff. But as i've just learned. I really you know, if you really want to play golf for your you know, as a career and played professionally, I think a coach can really really help you get that level. And that's either learning how to practice, managing your time, introducing you to right coaches, you know, swim coaches, the right people, and then also pushing you to get better. So I think that's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, it's It's interesting.
Speaker 2: There's some some programs that you always scratch your head. It's like, how are they, you know, such a good golf school, And obviously I think you know one of them that pops up is even Oregon, you know, given its you know climate where it is and everything.
Speaker 1: But you know, caseyes turned that into a great program. Uh what what would.
Speaker 2: You say, like a day in the life for you guys is like as an Oregon golfers.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So for for me, I I typically will wake up around seven thirty eight and go to what we call the h d C and that's where we have our training table, and so I'll go there and get breakfast and then I'll head off to class and then after class I'll sometimes go get treatment on my body a little bit, you know, work on some hit mobile hit mobility and correcting some things, and then we'll go to practice. Practice usually starts around twelve thirty one, and then we'll practice till roughly four thirty five. That's every day basically, and then two three times a week we'll have workouts after practice starting at five thirty and then after that the rest is, you know, to do whatever you want. So that's kind of a typical day for us. And then we also have days where instead of practicing, we would play eighteen and compete or be qualifying or things like that.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Cool, So you guys have kind of really it seems like taken off the spring and you've got a big addition with with the freshman Norman. John tell us a little bit about his game, and you know how impressive he's been as a freshman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Norman is incredible. He's for an eighteen year old that realistically should be graduating high school right about now, he's done an amazing job for us and I really think he's going to be I think he's gonna be one of the best players next year and if not next year, the year after he he hits it really far. He hits it really straight, he can put well. I mean, he really does have it all. So he I just think some maturity, learning to manage his ball and his game a little bit better, you know, I think, is what's going to help him get to that next level. But he's Yeah, he's been an awesome addition for us, and he's a great kid. So I've really gotten to enjoy spending time with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like, you know, he just jumped up the rankings and everything. I've heard people just rave about how that is game. You know, in terms of your prep for for bigger events like the NTAs, is it do you do anything different, you know, leading into these bigger events or is it kind of the same stuff you do weekend week out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do the same stuff. You try to treat every tournament the same and so and especially in college golf, you're only allowed one practice round, so as far as that it keeps you know, leading up, so right before the term is the same, you know, every week. But yeah, I do the same thing beforehand. I make sure my body feels good and I'm ready and I'm mobile and things like that, and then you know, kind of starting a week prior, I make sure my swing is feeling good and my mechanics and all of that stuff is sharp, and then you know, kind of leading up to it into the practice round, I'm just focused on trying to score my golf ball and get used to the course and the conditions and and trying to find the f way I can get the ball the ball in the hole.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, having played Rich Harvis in the in the Western a couple of years back, was there anything in particular that you might you work down a little bit more just for the course setup or just kind of the same stuff. Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I do definitely structure my practice and preparation for tournaments different. If I know how the course is going to be. You know, if it has really big greens, I'll work on a lot of lag putts, or if you know it's really narrow fair ways, then I'll definitely be working on. Thanks for I'm hitting my driver straight and also have a go to shot or working on, you know, a two iron stinger kind of shot. But for this week after playing it, it's it's very similar to the grasses are very similar to what I grew up on and what we play up in Oregon, so I they won't be as much adjustment for that. I do know there's some slope screens and I've definitely hit some putts that break a lot. But other than that, it's it's kind of been my normal prep for for this week, just because I knew how the court plays and and how it will play.
Speaker 1: Cool. Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 2: I think I think it favors uh guys that hit it long, and you're one of the longer guys, so this should be good for you in terms of kind of looking past uh this week. You know, what are what are your plans post uh, post college?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so after this week, I'm I'm turning pro and I have PGA Tour Canada status and I have roughly around the first eight events, so that will be.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: I'll spend probably the first part of my summer playing golf up there and trying to earn web dot Com card and then hopefully get some PGA Tour exemptions and take those when I get them and and see see what happens enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's a I think Aaron Wise had a great year last year up on a Canadian tour, and you know, it's a it's a good I think JJ Spawn's another one that that pops to the top of names in terms of people that have just come right out of that and and work their way up. You know, I imagine John Ram's instant success and you know, you're seeing these guys get out there through the sponsors exemptions has got to you know, uh, make it attractive to look at going to do those PGA tour things starts right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean, uh, it's definitely. I mean what he did is incredible and you know a handful of guys who done that. But at the same time, it is possible. And you know, if you get hot at the right time, and you know, you never know what happened. You just need to realistically, one you play one tournament really really well, you can you can earn your cards. So that's definitely, you know, it's not. Part of the reason why I would take those exemptions is it would be nice to exped active process and and earn my card very quickly. But at the same time, I know that's very hard, and you know, I really I'll use those as great learning experiences and you know, so when I am out there, I know exactly what to expect, and but also it's good. I really think I believe in myself and think I can go out there and and do really well right away. So and I'm just really looking forward to playing in my first TJA event and playing as a professionals. Then it can't be a dream come true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So what's like, what would you say is the thing that your aspect of pro goff you're most excited about?
Speaker 4: You know, It's funny, I think just playing in front of a lot of people. I've always enjoyed a big stage and playing in front of you know, hundreds of thousands of people. And in golf, I've only played in front of hundreds, maybe a thousand, you know, a couple of times. But in other sports that I've played, you know, I always loved when it was a pack gym and either we were home or away and and you just had that atmosphere just it really brings me, uh, you know, it just really get to my competitive juice phone. So I think that's what I'm most excited about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's uh, it's a imagine a rush. So you know, what what aspect of your game would you say is your strongest?
Speaker 1: And then what what aspect do you think you need.
Speaker 2: To work on the most to you know, compete with the best on tour.
Speaker 4: You know, I'd say as far as my strength, I hit it very far and that that's a huge strength. And you know, as a lot of guys on tour that are winning week to week or winning majors, they hit it far, so you know, that definitely is a strength. And also I'm a very good putter, and so I'd say those kind of are my two main strengths. And then a weakness I think, you know, I think I could wedge it closer more consistently. That would really help, and then also just hit my driver straight or more consistent. You know. But I like to think I have a lot of strengths and not many weaknesses. But you know, if I were to really look at it, those two I think are things that if I were to just get a little bit better every day at those they would really help me at the next level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think everybody always wants to hit it a little straighter and a little closer. I think that's like the the ongoing quest of golf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, So so you know, we'll get you out of here I know you're you're gonna try and get out and practice some more before this event, uh, you know.
Speaker 2: As a parting question, so if you could take one aspect of any you know, any player, tour, college college players, game or the tour player, what would it be?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. I think I would take I think I would take the consistency in ball striking from someone like Hendrick Stenson or Dustin Johnson, because it would make golf so much easier, you know, to not have to worry about your swing and just always be in Fairwe hitting a lot of greens. I've I've never really struggled too much around the greens or on the green. I've just had some trouble in the past getting to the green. So yeah, that would be probably if I could ever take a magic pill, it would be to hit it really straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean when you when you hit it like DJ, You're like your floor is really high, you know, as far as so. But hey, Wendam, thanks for coming on and we wish you the best of luck here this week at Rich Harvest and we'll be.
Speaker 1: Rooting for you.
Speaker 4: Awesome. Yeah, thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yep. All right, thanks