Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Friday. It's a meat Friday at that. The folks from King's Hawaiian are here. They've got the trigger grills fired up and so are we. Shrip po boys sliders out there. We have MVP slider that is prime full at will be there in honor of Dion Sanders who was just here. And also the Amalfi Coast slider that has brigute mutsare arugula, some pesto, some chicken and all of that. Courtesy of King Hawaiian eight seven seven three. DP Show email address, DPA Danpatrick dot Com Twitter handle. A DP Show stat of the Day is always brought to you by Benini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. The Countdown is on to celebrate one night fifty years in the making. This Saturday Night Live fiftieth Anniversary Special premier Sunday, February sixteenth on NBC and Peacan. A couple of headlines here before we get to Dan Orlovsky of the mother Ship. Josh Allen, MVP Patrick Sir Tan Defensive MVP Patrick Sir Tan Senior made the Pro Bowl the same year, Lebron averaged twenty seven, seven and seven. Patrick Sir Tan Junior won the Defensive Player of the Year the same year Lebron is averaging twenty four eight and nine. That's the stat of the seat.
Speaker 3: Of the Day, stat of the Day, stat of the Day, stat of the day, the statu the Day, statup day, start of the day.
Speaker 4: Strata statur the Day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Pandi America, your Hall of Fame Jared Allen, Antonio Gates, Eric Allen, and Sterling Shark. By the way, we did some research. I was curious about this. Jared Allen had four career safeties that's tied for the most in NFL history. He did get credit for sak when dan Orlomski stepped out of the back of the end zone in two thousand and eight in a game between the Vikings and the Lions. The Vikings won that game twelve to ten. Let's welcome in dan Orlovsky of the mother Ship. You can see him on NFL Live on Site with Marcus Spears being at Kynes, Ryan Clark, Lauren Rutledge today at for Eastern. Dan is actually going to be on the call with Chris Fowler Lewis Riddick for fans in Australia and New Zealand. See if if that's live, I have to sit close to you after that. Well, if Jared Allen doesn't make the Hall of Fame, I don't mention that.
Speaker 3: So there's a couple of things. Good morning, Good morning Dan, great to see you guys. Happy end of football season. Schefter actually on NFL Love yesterday, gave the list of the guys that were options and went to Jared Allen, who's like, I honestly think this, and he plays the play. He goes, this might be the play that puts Jared Allen into the Hall of Fame and thinks he should thank me for during his acceptance speech. If so, you mentioned we lost that game twelve to ten. That's also the oh and sixteen season. Yeah, so safeties a worth two points.
Speaker 2: But didn't you last year tell me that one of your assistant coaches fell asleep during a game?
Speaker 3: Yes, that was actually that year. Uh No, that was in two thousand and seven. I had a coach fall asleep in a game. I also had a coach during install. So Wednesday morning, you're installing your game plan of that week, I had a coach with We had binders back then, not iPads.
Speaker 4: Open up the game plan binder.
Speaker 3: He was sitting next to me, and inside of his game plan binder, he had another binder and he was prepping for a job interview out of college during the install. So I look over to my right and in like a kid like hides something in his book or something. He had another binder of information that he was trying to gather to prep for that job interview.
Speaker 2: How did that help your confidence level? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hey, what do you want me to do on third down? Here?
Speaker 2: So did you have a vote for MVP?
Speaker 3: I did, yes, sir, and you voted for I think I could reveal it now. I voted for Josh Allen. I voted for Josh MVP. I went co offensive Player of the Year for Lamar and Saquon defensive player of the Year. I believe I went certain junior. I think I did offensive rookie year Jaden defensive rookie year.
Speaker 4: I think I would dig quinnyon Mitchell, but I went MVP for Josh. Yes.
Speaker 2: Dion was here last hour and he was Adam and he said, Lamar Jackson's the MVP. Tell me why Josh Allen is your MVP.
Speaker 3: Because I think we've gotten away from the like the real meaning of it. You know, it has to be the value of your how you perform with who you're doing it with, and who you do it against. I mean, if we're just going to take the person who has the best stats and give him the MVP, then we don't. There's no need for a voter. You just take the person who was the best stats. The quarterback was the best stats, and so I voted for Josh because I think that Josh did.
Speaker 4: More with less. It's not like he had nobody with them.
Speaker 3: I'm not minimizing the other guys, but you know, I think that the fact that he was the quarterback of the team that was the two seed, he beat both number one seeds in respective conferences. He has a historic year forty touchdowns, eight turnovers, fourteen sacks. Without having that, you know, he didn't have a James Cook got one thousand and nine yards this year, and he got him, you know, the last game of the season type of thing. No receiver that's a dominant thousand yard receiver. So, you know, for the quarterbacks performance and the value of that performance carrying in many ways that team to the two seed defense.
Speaker 4: I think that was middle of the pack.
Speaker 3: And when it comes to the statistical performance, Lamar was sensational. But I think the MVP doesn't go to the best player, it goes to the person who brought the most value to their team.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that Lamar proved the doubters wrong that he couldn't throw the football, right, that was the big knock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it was an accurate one. I think it was a.
Speaker 3: Stereotypical one when he came out of school.
Speaker 2: Well, he doesn't throw it in the prototypical way, but you know, we compliment Patrick Mahomes who doesn't throw it in the prototypical way, And it just felt like he had to overcome that. Josh Allen had to overcome Dude, you've got to take care of the football, trying to you know, stop trying to be superman every single play. Both of those guys accomplish that, which I loved seeing that maturity of understanding what can I do and when can I do it? But you still look at if we do the MVP after the season. Yeah, how different would the would NFL history be if we if we gave MVPs after the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Oh big, Tom, I mean if you you probably I mean, if Patrick in Kansas City win, you'd go, how are we not going to give it to Patrick? Given everything that he accomplished this season? You can make the case for Saquon as well. That's kind of like the downside at least it feels for that way for me this year is there was like I felt, five or six guys that you could make a legit justifiable case to vote for them. And if you don't vote for them, you're knocking their performance or you're making them a lesser player, You're trying to take away from them. And it's the reality of only giving that award to one person. Suon could win it this year. If you told me, if you voted for Saquon and for MVP, I'm probably not going to argue a lot with it about you the same if you vote for Lamar, the same. Honestly, if you voted for like Jamar Chaser, Joe Burrow, I wouldn't sit there and argue against those guys.
Speaker 4: But I do think.
Speaker 3: There's an argument for each of them individually. But if you voted for you know, after the postseason. I think it would change a lot of it for sure.
Speaker 2: Dan Ar Lobski the mother Ship joining us here in New Orleans. Dion was talking about his son. He said, he's going first, second, or third. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: I think he guaranteed that. He said, oh, I know he's going for second or third.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not surprised. It seems like Dion is a speak it into existence.
Speaker 4: Type of person.
Speaker 3: I haven't started to, like, you know, dive into those guys yet. I've watched them a little bit. I'm a huge fan of Shador. Like I think if Shador was coming out six years ago, I might feel a little bit differently because six years ago was when you know, Lamar hit the scene, Patrick hit the scene, So like, you better go be a freakazoid athlete, run around and make a ton of plays. The quarterback position is a is a little bit of a pivoting not pivoting, but settling into real re affirming the importance of you've got to be deadly from the pocket. We're back to that a little bit now. You have to have the ability to go make plays with your legs, and I think Shador is. I think his ball placement is awesome, but he's I think Shador is athletic, He's not a dynamic athlete, you know, Like I wouldn't sit here and tell you I think Jordan Love and CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud or But is he like Russell Wilson.
Speaker 3: I think he's probably. I would put him in the Jordan Love CJ. Stroud grouping where like, he can hurt you with his legs, but you're not going to design place for him to run around and make plays with his legs.
Speaker 2: Okay, is there? And Dion talked about you know, he's going to talk to these teams behind. He's already started talking to them like he wants to see if he can get his son placed.
Speaker 4: He will.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm a firm believer, and I've said this publicly and people think I'm crazy when I say Dion is not going to allow Chador to go somewhere that he does not believe sets him up for success. And people are like, well, Schador is not worthy of that, or he's not that Okay, yeah, I think that should. Dion will make sure.
Speaker 4: He goes to the right place, that's all right, place that's not Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I would be surprised if Dion thought that that was a good landing spot.
Speaker 2: Tennessee.
Speaker 3: I would be surprised if Dion thought that was a good landing spot.
Speaker 2: So he's going to go three to the Giants, I.
Speaker 3: Would imagine the I would tell you the ideal situation for him would be the Las Vegas Raiders and then probably the Giants because of the Giants' history, and I do think that keeping their general manager and head coach provides a little bit of stability at least in the process of the offseason and whatnot. So I would put those two places is the likeliest.
Speaker 2: And it's nice to walk in and see Malik Neighbors there. If you go to throw the ball, Yeah, what's the coverage? It doesn't matter who that guy. Who should trade for Miles Garrett?
Speaker 3: I think the number one team that should trade for Miles Garrett is.
Speaker 2: I'll give you my thought. I think the Lions should.
Speaker 4: Okay, I keep hearing that, but they.
Speaker 2: They have the draft capital. Okay, you got to go all in. This team has to win a Super Bowl and they got cap room. You gotta win, Okay, so you gotta win. My pushback on the lines.
Speaker 3: Is this the only reason or the main reason they are here right now is because they've actually gotten the draft right. I was there when everyone would go, why do you guys suck? And I'd be like, look at our last ten first round picks, they're bad, ye, And then look at their last five or six first round picks, second round picks, they're all great. So is it has an organization that finally has figured it out, finally feels like they got all the right pieces there? Are they going to pivot away from the reason why or the number one difference is because Brad Holmes is drafted well and take those picks the windows Now, I understand.
Speaker 4: I agree with that.
Speaker 3: That's why they should have traded for Max Crosby last year or during the season. So that's why I like the lines I hear, but that's not necessarily how they've gotten to this point. Minnesota is the one team that I sit there because if you're Cleveland and it becomes a conversation for you that you're willing to entertain it, it starts with the number two pick. Do you like one of those quarterbacks outside of the chadoor Dean? Do you like one of those two quarterbacks because they need one. If you don't, then Minnesota is the team to call, because.
Speaker 4: Then you go, well, what are you doing at quarterback?
Speaker 3: Because if Minnesota wants to resign Sam or that's their starting point, well then they have to be willing to pivot off a JJ for Miles Garrett. So you go, will you trade as JJ McCarthy and some Alex vand Ginko or something for Miles Garrett? So then that becomes somewhere that I would would make sense for me. The second place that I would say is probably Philadelphia, phillip Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: That's the thing with Philly.
Speaker 3: Do you know their most expensive players next year, Jalen Hurts His capit is twenty million dollars. That's the lowest highest cap hit out of any team in the NFC. AJ's like seventeen or something like that. So that they are an unbelievably inexpensive team next year. That's because they've drafted so well in the last four years, so they have the cap flexibility and the draft capital. And if you had to thrown Nolan Smith into a trade, Nolan Smith's been sensational. You're doing that just because for Miles and so everyone keeps saying Washington, I can entertain Washington. I think Washington has to be very careful though, because while they were awesome this year and it's a great story, don't kind of fall into what the Giants did a couple of years ago. Daviles first year, low expectations. Oh my Goshen, we make the playoffs, we're closer than we actually are, and you kind of make decisions off that Washington won five games and last play the game this year. That's not normal in the NFL. If they had won three of those, that's not normally the NFL. They wouldn't have gotten to the playoffs if they'd only won three of them, and so the narrative around them would be a little bit different. I think Washington still needs to keep a real honest perspective.
Speaker 4: Of where they are.
Speaker 3: They still have flaws on their roster that were covered up a little bit because of some of those late game heroics. That do you really want to give those two three four valuable picks away four Miles while he's a great player instead of rebuilding the roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Texans, there was I thought false hope that what they did the previous year and then coming into this year that I didn't think they were going to make the playoffs, but that division is so bad, but they still made the playoffs. Before you go, give me the script for Sunday. If you're writing the script, this is how it plays out.
Speaker 3: Oh, if I'm writing the script, Saquon reels off a seventy yard touchdown with like four and a half minutes to go to put the Eagles up by four. So fuel go by Kansas City will not cut it. They will methodically drive down the field and on third and goal from the four yard line, Mahomes will do something stupidly Mahomes and he'll throw a game winning touchdown to Travis Kelcey and it will be the three pet and Kelsey will retire after and Patrick will be the MVP, and the goat conversation then becomes very real. It's been fun up until this point, hasn't really felt legit.
Speaker 4: Then it becomes legit.
Speaker 2: Write a script for the Eagles winning.
Speaker 3: The script for the Eagles winning is Kansasity's not gonna like this one rips off a big run. Do you know Saquan's average touchdown depth this year is thirty two yards average. He scored twenty touchdowns. The average of them is thirty two yards.
Speaker 2: But how many times did he get inside the two yard line and then Jalen Hurts score touchdown like seven times this year. He would have had to.
Speaker 3: Wrap your brain around that score twenty touchdowns in the average length of those are thirty two.
Speaker 4: He rips off a real.
Speaker 3: Big run and then throughout the course of the next couple of minutes, late in that fourth quarter, there's gonna be the drive.
Speaker 4: One of two things will happen.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a a bang bang play, a penalty not penalty that should be called against the Chiefs, it's not called, and everyone's like, oh my gosh, they finally have to go against them.
Speaker 4: That would probably be the one that would like the Internet on fire.
Speaker 3: Or you know, like I've said all season longest Philly defense, no one runs to it more the ball and punches at it with more people.
Speaker 4: Somehow they'll punch the ball out.
Speaker 3: Of Kelsey's hands or something like that, and they'll recover it and that is the ending of the game type of thing.
Speaker 2: Dan Orlovski super Bowl coverage live on set in New Orleans with Marcus Spears, Mina Kaims, Ryan Clark, Laura Rutledge today at four Eastern and you'll be calling the game with Lewis Riddick Fowler in Australia or for Australia and New You don't have to go to Australia this, no, I will you have an accent?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I don't call it in an Australian accent because I've done that on TV once and you didn't go.
Speaker 4: I got them a tumbo finger away. I don't do that, Dan from management people more important than me.
Speaker 2: Okay. Thank you for your contributions all year long. Thanks always great to talk to you. Thank you always.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the introduction as well.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Next year is going to be a whole lot better. I think unless somebody is going to get involved. May have you know, you may have had an impact on their career, anybody else that you've had an impact.
Speaker 3: Well, the joke is I've now helped two players from that game into the Hall of Fame, Jared being one, Calvin Johnson being the other.
Speaker 2: But we're not We weren't talking about Calvin Johnson. We weren't going to do that today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did to myself.
Speaker 2: Keep your head up. All right, Oh try that and a problem. Keep your head up. Something good is gonna come your way one of these days. All right, we'll take a break. Coming up next is Booger McFarland of the Mothership. Oh bug yeah, stop buying? Thank you, Dan, Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 6: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 6: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 5: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 6: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 5: So check us out. We like to get you in. Take your phone calls, chop it up as they say.
Speaker 6: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 5: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich sneaking a couple of phone calls. We'll bring in our good buddy Booker McFarland from the Mother's Ship. We were curious. PJ. Tucker was traded through three teams in a span of five days, and I was curious the player that's been traded the most or played for the most teams. Ish Smith played for thirteen teams during his career, Jim Jackson played for twelve during his career. Five players played for at least twelve teams, and Ish Smith played for thirteen. Do you remember Ish Smith.
Speaker 4: He's a point guard. He's a rappy point guard. I think wake Force. I think he was out of.
Speaker 2: And he was good. Ish s Thank you, thank you, Seaton. Would you update the poll results from the well last hour in the start of this hour.
Speaker 7: Yeah sure, right now we've got who are you rooting for? Chiefs for Eagles? About fifty eight percent of the audience rooting for the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's weird that that's the de facto team that I'm going to root for. Yeah, I've never heard somebody who's not an Eagle fan go, you know, I'm rooting for the Eagles and maybe against the Patriots, they were probably rooting for the Eagles, but that's not a team that people outside of Philadelphia are going to go.
Speaker 7: You know that easy to jump on the bandwagon. You're like, it's kind of like swallowing something. You're like, I think I want the Eagles to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Paulie.
Speaker 8: We talked about this. Marcus Freeman of Notre Dame made them lean towards likability, and Saquon does it for the Eagles.
Speaker 2: He's Booker McFarlane. He's an NFL and college football analyst. You can see him on Prime Time with Chris Berman on ESPN Plus right after the Super Bowl. It'll be on the field with Chris Berman Alex Smith and they'll be live from the Super Dome full reaction and break down the Super Bowl fifty nine as we make way for our good buddy Booger mc farland man joining us on the program. I knew, let's do it, let's do it, let's do it, Meet Friday. I don't know if the food is gonna be ready for you, though, Boo girl means the grills are fired up.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: You're looking lean though.
Speaker 9: You know what I've learned as I've gotten older, by bigger clothes, it makes you look slimmer.
Speaker 4: That's what I've learned.
Speaker 2: So what was the highest playing weight you had?
Speaker 4: Playing weight?
Speaker 9: I got probably three ten, But after I got done, I'll never forget it. It was an Eastern I was with the family and we were at the country club, and you know, it's hot brunch the whole nine. I had to go use the restroom. So I go to the bathroom and I just happened to look up at myself and my jaws were hanging down. I was three thirty five, and that's when I knew something had to change. And so again I just, you know, started working a little better, a little smarter, and I lost about fifty and here we.
Speaker 2: Are biggest guy you ever faced.
Speaker 9: Biggest s guy probably Kevin Gogan. Yeah, it's like six seven six seven.
Speaker 4: Three fifty.
Speaker 9: He was also the dirtiest and nastiest, you know. He Kevin Gogan spin on guys a bunch of stuff, but he was huge.
Speaker 2: Did you spin back?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, years later I probably wish I would have. But during the time, that's just something you don't do, Like that's a no no among players.
Speaker 4: We don't do that. Now.
Speaker 9: We grab a few things underneath the pile, but as far as actually.
Speaker 2: Okay, what leads you to grab somebody genitals?
Speaker 4: Well, first I didn't say jefers. You said that. I didn't. I said a few things.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are the few things?
Speaker 4: You never know?
Speaker 9: If there's a big pile and then we're trying to get the ball and they're guys talking, and guys, you know, saying some things you shouldn't say every now and then you think you're reaching for a ball, or maybe you grabbed me too.
Speaker 4: I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Larry Allen, did you face him, yeah.
Speaker 4: Batman, Yeah, he's a bad I'll never forget.
Speaker 9: So Larry Allen and the Cowboys come to Tampa and you know Larry Allen. We knew he was a Hall of Fame player, obviously one SAP Hall of Fame player, and so.
Speaker 4: The build up during the week was here we go.
Speaker 9: Well, the first play the game, based on the formation, they broke the huddle and Larry breaks the huddle and he's got I guess it was snuff for chewing tobacco and it's kind of running down his lip and I'm like, jeez. And the way the formation said, I slid and went against Larry Allen. I immediately looked at Brooks. I said, hey, you need to check this. They didn't come to see me against Larry. Put SAP over here. I went to the other side because that's what everybody wanted to see it. Quite frankly, I wanted to see it.
Speaker 2: Also, how did it play out?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 9: It played It was good on good all day long. Now, Larry is the strongest human being I've ever faced. Unreal, And you know he left this earth far too soon. An athletic, freaking unreal because he was six three three thirty. He could run for seven he played, He made All Pro with four positions something like that.
Speaker 4: Everyone except center. Unreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you get those guys, And they talked about Larry Allen flu that you didn't want to play against Larry Allen because he was gonna embarrass you.
Speaker 4: I didn't have the Larry Allen fleu.
Speaker 9: I was just smart enough to know, Hey, you go over here, I'm going to the other side. And by the way, on the other side, if it was Eric Williams and I forget who the guard was, he was three forty.
Speaker 4: I mean it was an unreo offensive line they had.
Speaker 2: And where does that offensive like you look at the Eagles offensive line? Yeah, how like where does that rank? Let's say if we had Kelsey back on there.
Speaker 9: So the Eagles offensive line I think is the best offensive line in football. And it's no disrespect to Detroit because I think there's good.
Speaker 2: And even losing a Hall of Famer in Jason Kelcey.
Speaker 9: Correct And I think if Kelsey were to be honest, he will tell you what he was losing in athleticism. He made up in craftiness and experience. And Jurgens I think is more athletic. Now he doesn't have the experience that Kelsey had. But man, when you look at it, I mean, Lane Johnson is probably gonna be a Hall of Famer former quarterback turned offensive lineman. It shows you how athletic he is. The right guard, Makay Becton, everybody gave up on him. The Jet said he couldn't play the big ticket. Jeff Styling, the offensive line coach for Philly, said, you know what, I'll make your guard. And he's had a career resurgence. Cam Jurgens young athletic Landon Dickerson. People remember him because he towards ACL At Alabama, Nick Saban put him back in the game in the National Championship game.
Speaker 4: To take one more snap.
Speaker 9: That guy's now left guard, and then the left tackle, Jordan Malatto is from what is Australia, six foot eight, three hundred and fifty pounds and maybe the best athlete of them all.
Speaker 4: So they are athletic, they are.
Speaker 9: Big, and I think it's their size because even if they miss a block, even if Makay Becton misses a block, he's six seven, three point fifty. You got to go around him to miss the block. And I think that's where they become just this unstoppable force. And then you put the best running back in football behind them, because Sakuon Barkley's five ten, five, eleven, two twenty and Dan he runs four three into forty. And I think that's what people don't realize. The New York Giants, as good as they were, or as good as he was with them, He's almost unstoppable behind this offensive line.
Speaker 2: Why Aamston he the MVP because we.
Speaker 9: Live in a society where we have been brainwashed that the game cannot function without the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Everyone says it over and over.
Speaker 9: I've heard you say the quarterback is the most important position in football, and I.
Speaker 4: Get it it is.
Speaker 9: But when you look at the MVP most valuable, it's a subjective definition, and most people lean toward the quarterback.
Speaker 4: He's the most valuable person.
Speaker 9: On the Eagles team. They aren't where they are now without him. But because the quarterback has been put in our minds as they are the man, it's always going to go to a quarterback unless you have something that's absurd, like Adrian Peterson. When Adrian Peterson came back and went for two thousand yards, it was an athletic marvel. Number one because he went for two thousand yards. Number two because he did it coming off the ACL. So it has to be something like that for a non quarterback to win the award.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think we'll see one in my lifetime. I don't even this was the perfect setup. But what was your reaction when you sold Josh Allen being named mvpick.
Speaker 4: I thought it was wrong.
Speaker 9: I think you know, you can make a case that Josh Allen did more with less because stephmon Days is gone, he doesn't have really go to number one receiver Mark Cooper really hadn't panned out. You can make a case he did more with less. But if Lamar Jackson won the MVP last year, this year has been probably one and a half times better than it was last year.
Speaker 4: I think he wound up with.
Speaker 9: Four picks four three of them more his fault, Dan, we can pull the tap. Three of them were not his fault. So imagine if he ends a season forty plus touchdowns would in one pick that you really can attribute to him.
Speaker 4: It was unreal. But again, when you have humans voting on.
Speaker 9: This award, we're subjective to feelings, and those feelings are he's won two, Well, we got to give Josh one, Shack one or Kobe won how many? How many do we have to give a check. MJ should have won MVP every year, but he didn't. I mean, we got to give one, you know, Lebron should have won it every year, but we got to give Russell one for the triple double. Well he's averaged a triple double, sinis, and then we hadn't even brought his name up. It just goes to show you how us as humans and I get it when we vote on awards, our feelings get involved.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes we like it simplified, we like it like that's I can understand that. Hey, that makes sense that he deserves the MVP. And it's weird that one year it's about stats or another year it's about value. You know. So I think it was flipped with Josh Allen the previous year and Lamar as opposed to this year, it was about Lamar's stats and if he wanted to give it to him, great. I was surprised that Josh won.
Speaker 9: Who do you think should have? I wasn't listening to your take. Who do you think should have won?
Speaker 2: I thought that Lamar was going to win, but I would have I think Saquon Barkley value change the Eagles. Uh there, I don't think they're here without him and the running back. That story, it's due. Like I if you want to say, hey, that guy deserves it because that guy wanted the previous year, how about give it to a running back. And I think that he lost the m v P or made it harder for voters to vote for him because if he breaks the record, if he breaks Dickerson's record, now it's easy for voters to go, well, you know they the Eagles are great, and he broke the.
Speaker 4: Record something I'm gonna vote for.
Speaker 10: Guys.
Speaker 2: It's like Joker, Joker with the Nuggets, you know, guys who said, well, look, he didn't do anything in the playoffs, we can't give him MVP. And I'm like, are you crazy? But if that's if that's the litmus test of what you do in the playoffs, Lamar's one too and doesn't have you know, he's not good in the playoffs.
Speaker 9: And to your point, if that's the case, shouldn't Joker be the MVP this year? Yes, because because SGA, even though SGA statistically is having a phenomenal year, Jokers still averaging a triple double, to your point.
Speaker 2: And he does it in three quarters. Yeah, he does the number of Yeah, triple doubles in three quarters. It just makes it easy. After the Super Bowl, NFL Primetime on the ESPN Plus, it'll be Booger McFarlane, Alex Smith, and Chris Berman. They'll be on the field there following the Super Bowl. How does this play out for Kansas City? If you said, all right, you're Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes, let's script how we win this game.
Speaker 9: So how you win the game is you have to make and again, this is gonna sound crazy coming off the conversation we just had.
Speaker 4: You have to make Jalen Hurst speech.
Speaker 9: So you have to make the most important player quote unquote on your team beat us being the quarterback. Because Philly is such a run dominant team.
Speaker 4: Hurts is tremendous at what he does.
Speaker 2: Didn't you say we need to apologize to Jalen Hurts?
Speaker 9: Absolutely because of what he because of how he played in the championship game.
Speaker 4: He was phenomenal if you just look at because he's been.
Speaker 2: Disrespected the media in general.
Speaker 9: The media has disrespected this man by saying, Okay, his value or what he does, they've diminished it because he's not throwing for three hundred and fifty yards a game. But if you look at what he's asked to do in the context of their offense, he doesn't.
Speaker 4: We are and I'm guilty of this.
Speaker 9: Also, I played in the era where the quarterback looked like Tom Brady, Peyton Mann and Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers. He was gonna be in a stationary spot and he was gonna pick your part. That era of quarterback is mostly gone because the high school game, which leads into the college game, which leads into the NFL game, is producing athletic quarterbacks. So they're gonna look different. They're gonna run, they're gonna have ten to twelve carries a game. They may throw for two twenty five and rush for one point fifty and so Jalen hurts.
Speaker 4: Its value to the Eagles is unreal. I felt that.
Speaker 9: There was disrespect because any other quarterback that took a team to the Super Bowl, we will be applauding them. Felt like he needed this flower. So now with all that being said, if I'm in you to seezepag Nolo, make him beat you throwing the football, because where he's shown to be a little and he's not bad, but.
Speaker 2: But that prove what people have said. You're saying you gotta make the best player, or here, Jalen Hurts beat us. You would never say Patrick Mahomes beat us.
Speaker 9: Okay, I'll equit it this way. With Shaq and Kobe were playing, who did you want to beat? You think about it that way, two all time greats, but you had to take one away?
Speaker 4: Which one were you taken away?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't take away shack it? Which impossible? Which one did you? People would say you can't let them both go off? You gotta take one away. So it's very similar with the Eagles. Okay, you can't let the entire offense go off.
Speaker 9: Take Saquan away and take your chances with Hurts to AJ Brown, Hurts to DeVonta Smith. I'm gonna take because the easiest thing to do in football. You could do this right now. You're almost eighty years old, and you could turn around and hand the football off. You could literally take snap a handed off. I don't know if you could drop back and deliver pass.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you had to take a shot at me.
Speaker 9: I didn't take a shot. I mean you and I are you and our friends. If I had to guess your age. I'm not gonna guess forty. People would look at me like, nah, he's not freaking.
Speaker 2: I'm going to guess eighty.
Speaker 9: You're closer to Like this, you're closer to eighty than forty, I would have said, it's true.
Speaker 4: What then I'm right.
Speaker 2: I'm a Hall of Famer, no question. I'm in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, and you deserve to be ten times over. But it still doesn't change the fact you're close to Do you want me to.
Speaker 2: Take this zip up swatshirt off?
Speaker 4: You take it off, You're gonna look eighty.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter, like this is what ladies come to see.
Speaker 4: Which lady les im plural?
Speaker 2: Like shorties?
Speaker 4: Are there? All family?
Speaker 2: No, When I go to the club, when I go to the club, and I call it Doug Club, the club, Okay, when I go to Doug Club, okay, yeah, you know they walk in, they go all right to check them out? Man, silver Fox.
Speaker 4: The silver Fox. Okay.
Speaker 9: I'm going to call you the same nickname that we call someone and I'm not going to say her name, but I'm gonna call you America's cougar.
Speaker 2: All right now, is somebody America's cougar who works at the ESPN. No, they do not work cause I don't want you to be I don't want you to get in trouble. No, no, but I'm going to put you the same. I'm like the male cougar whatever that would be. Yes, all right, Yes, I'm a lion, I'm a tiger. I'm a panther.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Eli Manning not getting in first ballance means.
Speaker 9: What means that the people who are voting on the Hall of Fame I think got it right. Okay, And I mean no disrespect to Eli, but I think when you are a first ballot Hall of Famer, I get it. Prime example, I think years ago one of the presenters told me this. If they presented I think it was Joe Montana. And back then, you used to be in a room here to the Super Bowl. You get fifteen minutes to present your guy. Whoever was presenting. Joe Montana stood up, Joe Montana and sat back down, didn't have.
Speaker 4: To say a word. That's a first ballot Hall of Famer.
Speaker 9: If you have to stand up and plead your case and convince somebody, then you're not. Doesn't mean that you eventually won't get in. It just doesn't mean, you don't deserve to be a first ballot Hall of Fame. And I think that's what we are with Eid Manning. And it's a hot topic because of his last name, because of where he played, because of.
Speaker 2: Who he is, and we're in New Orleans, and we're in New Orleans.
Speaker 9: But I think, if you honestly sit back and look at it, do you put him in the same category as Joe and Peyton and Tom Brady.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: You know, you need to have different floors or you know, for your Hall of Famers, well, in a different color jacket if you're a first ballot.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 2: No, it smarks conversation.
Speaker 9: Okay, but why would you You just told me you're in the Hall of Fame? Yeah, would you want a different color jackets? I would, now, I see, I think you're not being genuine.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan Montana, I'm Dan Marino's booger. McFarlane, Oh, Chris Berman Hall of Famer by the way, no questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll tell you too. That's what that's my guy. That's my guy. I love Midall. That's my guy.
Speaker 2: Immediately after the Super Bowl, NFL Prime time on ESPN Plus. It'll be Booger, Alex Smith, Chris Berman live from the Super Due. Great to see you always. Thank you, no, thank you, thank you for always being available during the year.
Speaker 4: Man, I love you, guys. Man.
Speaker 9: More important, I love the crew, Like the crew is the most important part of this and I think you would appre you would say this that your crew with you and the people that surrounding this show really make it go.
Speaker 2: I mean I wouldn't say that, but others might say that.
Speaker 9: Well, well I'm gonna say that because I understand they make you look good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you've been a Hall of Famer. Yeah, I hope hopefully you appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Just a quick update, just a quick google the male version of a cougar I'm seeing as a man.
Speaker 4: Amanther.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, manther, Dan Themanthea, you are a manther. Yes you all right, We'll take a break. I think we need to all settle down just a little bit. We need to we need to cool. Yeah, Whiteman, all my clothes, Okay, back after this and The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We will give you our super Bowl predictions coming up next hour. We'll write the headlines for Super Bowl Sunday. Josh Jacobs from the Packers will stop by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert of the DP show. Go to tire rack dot com, slash Dan try the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Goodyear tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rac dot com. The Way tire buying should be a couple of phone calls Luke US in Texas. Hey Luke, what do you have for me today? Hey Dan, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm a longtime listener, a long time caller, but as of yesterday, I am a first time listener to the Dan Patrick Takes a Gamble podcast. Had a great time with it, and it gave me a programming idea. I don't want to do your producer's job for you, but I've got an idea. H take take it forwarded for it. You offered an invitation for Shay and Irvings to watch the Super Bowl with you in your man cave. My thought is next year. I would love an isolated camera on the two of you guys in your man cave watching a Cowboys game, because there's nothing better when you've got that smirky little laugh while while Shay is watching a Cowboy game. So I just want to hear that. I want to see that in real time, mainly to see you almost have an aneurism from laughing, but also see him having an aneurism from the Cowboys. So take it, take it forward it for me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lucas. Sounds like you want us to die from an aneurysm. But anything you know, good content. I'm all in favor of that. Alex in Utah, Hi, Alex, what's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Good morning guys.
Speaker 11: Man, I gotta agree with the previous caller.
Speaker 4: I'm on I would watch that.
Speaker 12: So happy, Happy for Super Bowl weekend, gentlemen. So I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. I lost access to my Traeger and I'm in charge of pigs in a Blanket this year, and so I'm wondering, do you guys have any suggestions on how I can jug up my pigs in a Blanket?
Speaker 2: I think if you go to trigger dot com and then just Google pigs in a blanket, and then you'll see if there's certain things that you could do. Uh, Chad has all those great menus, all those recipes. TJ and Wisconsin. Hi, TJ. What's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey, Bud, Hey, shout out to the MVP of pickleball there, Todd Fritz. Yeah, long, I'm listener, first time caller six two, a hard twenty five. I just wanted to note my little brother Christian in Wisconsin. He called in about a week or so ago welcoming his new son. A new fan for you, James Andrews. And not to be outdone, since I'm the older brother, I welcomed in my third child this past Sunday on February second, Amelia Joy, my second daughter.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations, congratulations.
Speaker 4: You all right? DP.
Speaker 13: How much trouble am I in with two girls?
Speaker 2: Hopefully you get another girl now you'll be lucky like me. The girls are great, great, great, never had any trouble. Great Abraham and Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: I went up DP, Dan.
Speaker 10: First time to all her A long time listener. I just have a question for you again and I'll hang up after to listen to the answer on the radio. But in Aaron Rodgers first full year with the Jets, his members pretty much mirror Russell Wilson's first year with the Broncos. And I remember in Russell's first year a lot of people were saying that he was playing his way out of the Hall of Fame. I'm wondering if that's going to be the same thing for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Thank you well.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rodgers' resume is a lot better than Russell Wilson's. Russ has had a very good career. Aaron Rodgers is, you know, but one of the top ten quarterbacks of all time, generally considered the most talented quarterback of all time, him and Patrick Mahomes. But I don't think he can play his way out of the Hall of Fame. Russ. I thought he was playing his way out of the Hall of Fame, and maybe he did. I don't know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul, I think if you looked at regular season stats for a quarterback blindly, Rogers are clearly the best of all time, efficiency, touchdown, interceptions, yardage, just stats blindly.
Speaker 2: And you got four MVPs. Russ has never been an MVP. You had the Super If he gets the next Super Bowl, then you know, he's a better version of Eli Manning, and then he would deserve to be in the Hall of Fame for sure. But you know, it's tricky with these voters. You know, we talked to Peter King South Palatonio. They vote, but what they consider hall of Fame worthy. You know, Eli, to me wasn't a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he's going again in Is Philip Rivers a Hall of Famer? You know, because he comes up for the possibility of the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 10: Yes, Mark, I'm kind of offended for somebody who's got snubbed, but we're not talking.
Speaker 2: About him because his last name's not Manning.
Speaker 4: You'll find out who it is after the break.
Speaker 2: Whoa look at Marvin. He can't play pickle ball, but you can come up with the same, sure,