Speaker 1: The volume. The eighty two game preseason is in the books and is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 2: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 3: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell, Casino w and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issueans See DKG dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: The playoffs are upun us the best place to watch right there in person. Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace for playoff basketball, which makes getting playoff tickets even easier and faster. Prices on game time app actually go down closer it gets to tip off with killer last minute deals, all in prices, views from your seat, the lord's price guarantee game time. Take it the guests work out of buying tickets. Save even more when you choose a section and let game time. Choose to see the lower price guaranteed or game time will credit one and ten percent of the difference. Take the guests work out of buying playoff basketball tickets with game time. Download the game time out, create an account, use code Nightcap twenty.
Speaker 2: Dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again.
Speaker 1: Creat an account, redeem code nightcap nigt CAAP for twenty dollars off. Download game Time today, last minute tickets lowers price guaranteed. Hello ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us as the Celtics take us commanding three to oh lead one O six to ninety nine over the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavericks far hard to get back in the game after being down by twenty one, but they fight. The Mavericks come all the way back get within one, but it wasn't enough. Luca files out and the Celtics hold on and win one O six to ninety nine. Thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap. I am your favorite UNC Shannon Sharp, He's your favorite, Number eighty five, the Route Runner Extraordinary, the Bengals Ring of Fame Honoree, the pro Bowler, the All Pro from Liberty City. He's Chad o Cho Senko Johnson. Thank you, guys. Please make sure you hit that like button, Please make sure you hit that subscribe button, and thank you again. Thank you guys for selling out by Shade by Laportier. We're only taking pre orders only. We're cleaning up the backlog, and then we're gonna put the link back into at the top of the chat so you can start ordering again and it will be shipped to you within five to seven business days. Please go follow my media Company's page on all platforms. That's Shayshape Media and my clothing company eighty four and It's Fell eighty four. The link to the Nightcap Merch is penned at the top of the chat. Use code unk and get a discount not only on Nightcap Merch but on Club shay Shape Merch and eighty four Merch, which is my personal clothing line. We are very, very excited to announce the Nightcap Live Tour. We'll be in Atlanta August twenty second, that is a Thursday. We'll be in Houston August twenty fifth, that is a Sunday, and then the following Friday, we travel to Dallas, Texas August thirtieth, which is a Friday. Tickets are on sale at ticketmaster dot com. Oh show, great news.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait wait, don't tell me that. Wait wait, let me let me sit down first before you say it. Let me sit down first. Okay, okay, okay, Tammy Tammy, Tammy, Tammy tammy.
Speaker 2: We gobout to look we goout to look like a NASCAR We gotta know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oscar my bacon, oscar my bacon. Oh n C A R M A y E R b A.
Speaker 4: You know how you know how far back me and Oscar maya go yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah in the days, yeah, not when that has to take the Oscar Mind, take the red remember the red, the red rip, Yeah the ring.
Speaker 5: Stop playing with me?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, go way back man talking about eighty three eighty yeah.
Speaker 1: When you yeah, when you spelling blooney wrong? Yeah, y'all go, I remember that baloney wrong. I ain't never did that now, Thank you, Oscar Mind, thank you so much. We have two sponsors, Ollipop, Oscar Mind, Bacon. Thank you very much, Oh Joe, work very hard. We're doing a great job. Clearly we're doing a great job because a now all sponsors and advertisers want to be a part of Nightcap. So I greatly appreciate all of our sponsors. Thank you so much. We're gonna give you a great show again August twenty second in Atlanta, Georgia. That's the Nightcap Live Tour s Houston August twenty fifth, which is a Sunday, and the following Friday, Dallas, Texas, August thirty. Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster dot com. We have another sponsor. Olipop was the first, not Oscar Mile Bacon. Thank you, thank you so much. Oh Joe, We're gonna get right into it. Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown the first Celtic duo to each record at least thirty five and five in an NBA Finals game. Thirty points, five rebounds, five assists. Jaylen Brown's had a fake. If I'm not mistaken, he had thirty points. He had like eight and eight if I'm not mistaken. Jason Tatum finally broke out of his shooting slump. He got it going in the first half. Jayalen Brown got it going in the second half. They tag team the Dallas Mavericks and put them on to bring o Show. Down three to oh, no team has ever come back from a three deficit. Only one team has ever come back in the NBA Finals from a three to one deficit, and that's the Cleveland Cavaliers led by Lebron James along with Kyrie Irvin so down three oh. No team has ever come back in an NBA playoff game. Down oh yeah, I think so oneas one half Kyrie Irvin Tonight, we needed Kyrie to get going OHO, and he got it going. Thirty five points, three rebounds, two assists, four to six. He gave it everything. Luca ends up filing out. I think he had twenty seven points. They just didn't get enough support from their supporting cast, and that was the difference in the ball game, because Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown got going. Derek White here some timely shots. Holiday is holiday. But give the Celtics credit. MAM's get out to an early start, down by half. The Celtics down by as many as twelve. They don't pay it. Did a great job, Joe, Missoula had them calm, they fight, They were all the way back, making a one point ball game in the half, and then kind of seize control thirty five to nineteen, if I'm not mistaken, outscore the MAVs in the third quarter. MAVs make a valiant effort to try to get back into the ball game, but it wasn't nearly enough, O Joe. Now they're faced elimination on Friday night. They've got to win or they're going home. You watch this game, on Joe, what did you see from the Celtics that really impressed you?
Speaker 2: Besides the win? Obviously winning is impressive, but you.
Speaker 4: Know what the Celtics did, what they did best, and it made me question we always talk about the pundits, the analysts, they talk about the best players on the Celtics, Jason Tatum, and what Jackson Tatum needs to do as far as winning MVP is concerned, and all the things and putting the team on your back and all the pressure that is on Jason Tatum. When I come to ask myself a certain question after some of the other series, including this series, maybe outside of this game tonight and Jason Tatum actually the best player on the Celtics team for that matter, is if Jason Tatum. Where Jason Tating the right person to be asking some of the things that they're asking of him to do, being that it seemed like it should be being asked of from somebody else with the last name Brown. If I don't, I don't know if my eyes are fooling me, or maybe I haven't been watching a game of basketball or the Boston Celtics long enough to where I might be wrong. But Jaylen Brown is the real deal, man, Jylen Brown is the real deal based on what I've seen so far. So I always, for one, for some reason, I always see Jaylen Brown cooking. But then from the from the media pundits, I'm always hearing Jason Tatum's name, so something the math ain't math, and to me that is not making any sense to me. The one doing the work on the court, the dirty work, the hard work, and scoring the points and showing up in every game no matter what the press situation may be, is Brother Brown. And then Jason Tatum at times, you know as night's off, he has a night on. Tonight he had a night on.
Speaker 5: So it was.
Speaker 4: Confused to me the fact they didn't have prisoners tonight and they still they still, I'm not.
Speaker 5: Gonna say, dominated the game.
Speaker 4: You know, at the half they're on, they're only up by three, but they still won the game.
Speaker 5: Like you on, this is a game that you you had to have. You had to have.
Speaker 4: You can't file out by no means, by by no means, Luke, you cannot file out in that situation.
Speaker 5: You just can't.
Speaker 2: No, you can't take a chance of that situation.
Speaker 1: You got five files out on the risk. The risk reward isn't great enough because you're gonna pick up six as opposed that if they call it.
Speaker 2: But nah, it's just not good enough. Oh tu.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that happened is like Jason Tatum was supposed to have next and he still might. He's the guy that was mentored by Kobe. He was the guy that was supposed to be the face you have. Let me tell you, let me ask you to even though you even though you're you're late to the party, is somewhat Have you ever sard Jaylen Brown be potential to face of the NBA?
Speaker 4: No, No, As matter of fact, you heard me regurgitated, right, because I'm saying what I've heard other people say.
Speaker 2: So, I'm thinking he's the next one up.
Speaker 4: And I got people making fun of me on Twitter to about you could tell you you had no watch no damn basketball.
Speaker 5: He's about Jayden Brown?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 5: I mean?
Speaker 4: God, Jason Tatum in the face of the earth? Huh, what are you talking about? Well, I'm just saying what everyone else was saying, and I'm thinking it's going to show up. When I watched the game and I'm like, well, wait a minute, are they sure? Jason Tatum? And if you just think them in Jalen Brown. But he's the one playing with that mama mentality. He's the one showing up hitting clutch shots in every game. He doesn't disappear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think the thing is that JT. You know, he was mentored by Kobe, He trained with Kobe, and so he was supposed to adopt that mentality. He was the better player early, he was the first team All being NBA selection for the last three years, he was the guy that went to the All Star Game, and so he was supposed to have that played. Plus, he's playing in a story franchise. He's the best player on that franchise, and yeah, he still gets some double But right now, I've said this before and people are like, Oh, you don't know what you're talking about. Jason Tatum, excuse me. Jaylen Brown has been their best player in the playoffs. We can debate whether or not who's the best player. You can debate that till the cows come home. Some people will say JB. Some people will say JT. Some people will say j T because he still get the constant double team. Everybody's setting their defense to stop him, and so JB's getting a lot of one on one and he's going against their second best player.
Speaker 2: Whoever that defensive playerm is.
Speaker 1: All I know is this in the playoffs, Jaylen Brown has been the best Celtic. He has he's taken on the assignment. He's taking Luca. They put Jason Tatum on Daniel Gaffer, so it's a combination, and they got a lot of guys that can throw at him. They got Derek White, who's an all the defensive selection. They got Holiday, we know what he is. On the defensive end. You got a big Jaylen Brown that's six foot seven that can throw at him. So they could throw three different bodies at him. None of those guys are Jason Tatum. And when Jason Tatum was on him, we saw early in the game he blew right by him. Luca blew right by JT. And so this is not a question to night whether we can debate this at a later day time. I used to say the same thing that you said, O Joe, but I can't say it with any degree of certainty that Jason Tatum is the better player than Jaylen Brown. I can't say that with any degree of the certainty. Once upon a time I could. But if you look at Jason JB and the work that he's put in in the offseason as far as shooting the basketball and starts, he always had great athleticism. But if you watch the way he shoots the ball. You watch the way he handles the ball a little better. Yeah, he gets a look killless sometime and his handle gets away from his body. But he worked extensively on being able to handle the ball better, and you saw late in the ball game he hit.
Speaker 2: Big shot after big shot after big shot.
Speaker 1: So for me, I can't say with any gree of certainty that Jason Tatum is the best Celtics because Jaylen Brown had something to say about it. He was named Larry Bird. When they win this series, he's gonna be the Finals MVP.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, and how fitty it would it be? The Bill the Bill Russell Award, Mister Russell, Well, the MVP Finals MVP is named after him, and so he had he will have two awards named after two Celtics Great Eastern Conference m v P, Larr Bird Award, the Finals MVP, the Bill Russell Award. But he would have been sensational in these playoffs. We know what he did in that last series. He was the Bill the Bird, Lard Bird Award winner, hit the big shot and the sports overtime.
Speaker 2: And he's been outstanding.
Speaker 1: He's been honked, hounding Luca Luca's getting his points, but he's not doing it in the most efficient manner, so give him credit. But the Celtics have the MAVs on the brink of eliminade, up three to oh one game Friday night. It could be a clean sweep and the Boston would take the league over the Lakers, eighteen titles to seventeen.
Speaker 4: That's crazy, man, that's crazy when I think about it, and you know, it's my fault. It's my fault, you know, you know, take pick it with my heart, you know, picking with my heart understanding, you know, with my love for Kyrie Irving and his skill setting, what he's done for the game and the excitement that he brings, you know, as a as a player. And I picked the masks, you know, I said the Maths and seven, And I said the Maths and seven with confidence, you know, with my chest very high, you know.
Speaker 5: Knowing they don't even know the goddamn game of basketball like that.
Speaker 4: And here I go, I don't put my foot all in them out, you know, and the heel to hold the whole foot and the big toe, you know.
Speaker 5: But it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 4: I got people on Twitter, you know, talking about Oh, I'm the reason the goddamn Maths losing him down three.
Speaker 5: Oh No, I'm not. No, I'm not.
Speaker 4: If you watch it, if you watch the goddamn goddamn games, you know why they down three. Oin ain't got nothing to do with me picking them to win in seven. But that's that's neither here nor there. At least listen, at least the math put up a fight tonight. They look better. They look better. Kyrie was goddamn aggressive coming out coming out the gate. Goddamn Luke was aggressive coming out the gate, and I think that was due to not having to deal with the length and the height of Borzingis down low in the block or in the post, not having to deal with that.
Speaker 5: So you know what I'm gona do tonight, I'm gonna go be aggressive because I can.
Speaker 4: But again, Jaylen Brown, Derek White, at times, they made every shot difficult.
Speaker 2: Nothing was easy, nothing was easy. You know, they were looking for something.
Speaker 1: They got nothing from Kleeber, They got nothing from Tim Hardaway Junior.
Speaker 2: He was all five from the floor or three from the three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, zero, No, that's not fair. How much you going how much Tim Hartibay Jr. He Played twenty seven minutes, right, how many minutes? Okay, okay, okay, I'm bad. He played nineteen minutes?
Speaker 5: How many times?
Speaker 4: How many games has he played? And not this series? Just in the playoffs in general?
Speaker 1: He played a lot more against okay, okay than he did any other scene.
Speaker 5: How long ago was that? That was?
Speaker 2: That was? That was? That was what?
Speaker 1: UHCD rock and round second round?
Speaker 4: So you ain't even getting no burn all this time, And all of a sudden, we need a little bit more offense. We want you to do something that you haven't done in a very long time, something that we basically you know what you not on the biscuits. We feel you can't really help contribute in a certain area. So you're gonna ride the bench. Oh now, all of a sudden, now you want to count on me. Now you want to come to me because you need a little officer, a little officer spurt.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the job, ever role player, that's his job.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like the guy like the wide receiver that don't come in and start and he plays the slot.
Speaker 2: What you expect him of it.
Speaker 5: You're expected to make that catch on third down.
Speaker 4: You expected to make me but then again, wich about a finals, a finals. Those adjustments need to be made way ahead of time, understanding we're not gonna win this io game. We're not gonna win the Io game. We need all motherfucking hands on deck. Oh shit, I'm sorry, my bad, I'm sorry. We need all we need all hands on deck. I need all scores. Tim Hardaway at some point, if I'm not mistaken, I'm sure he can give you fifteen seventeen at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, that's kind of what they was kind of that's why they inserted him. But he did.
Speaker 4: He had a couple of great doing it, doing it, doing it in the back end. When when when, I mean, you're already drowning. I'm already underwater, but now you're throwing me. Now you're throwing me a life wrap. But what I'm under the water.
Speaker 1: That's your job. That's the job of a role player. It's not easy because they're asking you to do something when you like you not in the rhythm. But that's why you go in and you get those shots up, shoot around, you get there early, you stay late, you come out because you never know when your number is gonna call. Malcolm Butler, he didn't know his number was gonna get called. But what in the super Bowl?
Speaker 4: He read he read, he read that bait, he read a he banjo that he banjoke.
Speaker 5: Wait, no, they didn't they did? They pass it off? Did it?
Speaker 2: They took it was a man, they took it.
Speaker 5: That's so fast.
Speaker 4: Press And when Brandon press it was a rap that it was also say that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, o that because you don't have any trapping, he doesn't have any traffic to fight through.
Speaker 1: You're trying to hope so to make him bump, but wants brand to get that freeze on it and.
Speaker 2: He can just knife it. It's a dead play. But give the Celtics credit.
Speaker 1: Jason Tatum Jaylen Brown of the first Celtics duo to each have at least thirty points, at least five rebounds, at least five assists in an NBA Finals game.
Speaker 2: They put the MAVs on the brink of elimination.
Speaker 1: They forced him down three to zero on the night in which Kyrie had thirty five and Luca had twenty seven, but it wasn't enough to overcome the dynamic duo and Jason Derrick White chipping in giving him sixteen big points and the Celtics are one went away.
Speaker 2: Excuse me from being an NBA champion.
Speaker 1: Kevin Garnett says that Luka Doncic is the only one who can catch Lebron James scoring record. Said, Listen, Luca is set up to be the only in i GGA to catch Bron. Nobody wants to say this, ish. Listen to Luca averaging thirty What do you do this year? Thirty three on one leg, drinking beer, having fun, doing god who knows what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you look at.
Speaker 1: Oho, he's ahead of the place where Bron was at the same age. The question is you see Bron's training. Now here's the thing. It's not like Bron is done back. Bron's about to sign another two year plus option. So the record right now forty thousand, probably when Lebron is done is gonna probably be somewhere around forty three to forty four thousand. The question is, is Luca gonna get himself in shape, keep himself in shape because smoking hookah.
Speaker 2: And draking beer. I don't know if that's the only waste.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that doesn't it doesn't hit you on the back end of your career. Stuff like that is already in you own. Stuff like that is already in you. It was already embedded in Lebron to always train and the man in which he trains at and just understand it. In order for me to want to play for a very long time and be consistent at what I do.
Speaker 5: These are the things they have to put in.
Speaker 4: Luke had been playing as a pro for a very long time, and they can play in a completely different structural system that isn't really like ours, which is why he's able to get away with what he does where I don't think he will have the longevity that Lebron has to even reach forty thousand points.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: You think, oh, you think magically he's just gonna some all of a sudden going to click and be like, you know what, I'm just gonna strictly lock in on basketball even in the off season and train like a mad man.
Speaker 1: No, if you look at it, oo, if you look at the European players, most of those guys grew up wanting to be Messy, wanting to be Ronaldo, wanting to be wanting to be Maridona. So the scoring, you know, being the best NBA player is not really how on their radar you look at Jokic, Yokich would rather be racing his horses than probably playing in a game.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean the same, It doesn't carry the same weight.
Speaker 1: So for European player, probably soccer is probably their first love. Now they got good at obviously Yolk got too big and get to play soccer and Sodan Luca. But that it doesn't mean the same thing because as an American player, you grow up knowing what numbers are. If you play football, you know how many yards in his rush for now that Brady has the record. You know how many touchdowns and things of that nature, how many receptions and yards and touchdown that Jerry Wright have.
Speaker 2: Same thing in baseball, same thing in basketball.
Speaker 1: But they didn't grow up looking at like, man, I want to be this, I want to be that. I don't think that's how they look at it, Ojo and so. But I don't think the thing is I don't think he's gonna be around long enough. I don't think he said it that. No no, no, no no, I'm not gonna be around that long because he's able to get away this now because he young, he's young, and you know, you see his body, he's beat up.
Speaker 5: Now, Hey, I'm just gonna say that. You notice how young he is.
Speaker 4: They say he's only twenty five, right, But if you if you watch his manor watch the way you walk, the way he moves, he moved like an old man, move like a thirty that's funny.
Speaker 5: That's funny.
Speaker 4: And I think it's because he's been playing the game of basketball at a high intense, a high intense level for such a long time that has.
Speaker 5: Beat his body up, even at a young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's gonna be interesting. I don't believe. I don't believe now he could change it around. But I don't believe he's gonna stay around long enough to get that record now, because even if he averaged thirty five, somebody said that if he averaged thirty five points for the next ten years, he still would be over forty four hundred points away.
Speaker 2: Damn thirty.
Speaker 1: So if he averaged thirty five points a game for the next ten years, he's still four thousand points away. That's if Lebron were to retire right now. I mean, listen, Lebron's not going to retire right now. So he might put another three thousand, probably another three thousand, maybe thirty five hundred points on the board, maybe even four thousand. So now we're looking at somewhere around forty forty three and a half forty four thousand, maybe forty four to half thousand. Don't think you'll get to forty five, but hey, who knows is Lebron James.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting anything fast in.
Speaker 1: But KG believed that Luca might be the only one that can catch Lebron James scoring record remains to be we'll see. Yeah, Oh Joe, we got a special guest joining us. She was the fifth pick in the twenty nineteen in WNBA draft. Out of know today, she ranked second in the WNBA scoring behind Asia Wilson at twenty six point four. We're excited to have tonight. I've been practicing this and I hope I get it right. A Rique or Goombawilee.
Speaker 6: Here you go. That's up.
Speaker 2: But thank you.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen, man, listen, listen. Nothing but love, nothing but praise for your game. Obviously, it was it was my first time going. It was my first time going. So then I think we had nightcap that night right or maybe the following night, and all I can think about and being at I watched the NBA a little bit. The first thing that came to my mind for a comparison to you, based on what I saw with my own two wives. Can't nobody tell me ship heys.
Speaker 5: She like Kyrie Irvan.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's only That's the only thing I can say. So you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you know I'm going with it, man, Listen. It was it was a joy. It was a joy watching you play. I'm coming to see y'all play again, uh in Dallas when we we have we have our tour coming up in Dallas and y'all have a game I think the day before in August or the day after. But either way, I'm coming to watch you again because I need to autograph.
Speaker 5: I need a picture.
Speaker 4: I'm trying that. I'm trying not the fanboy right now. So I'm trying to play it cool. But here here, no, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you a question. What do your friends call you? Do they call you Urec or they call you Ao.
Speaker 6: Orrique?
Speaker 7: Don't okay, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Look, there have been a lot of discussion.
Speaker 1: Everybody was talking about Caitlyn Clark being snubbed or not being selected for the US team women's team to go play their Olympics in Paris. I think one of the biggest snubs were yourself leading the league and scoring. Everybody knows what you bring to the table, can pat the rocks, as Kyrie said, you can score. When the list came out and your name wasn't on it, what was the first thoughts that go through your mind?
Speaker 7: Well, the thing is, I pretty much had an idea that I wouldn't be on it. So there's trials and stuff that go on throughout the years and previous and you do it and you see the vibes, and I mean me being me being me, I just felt the vibes, like, honestly, when it comes to that stuff, it really doesn't have much to do with your game, and it's really about who they feel like fits with the team, which I mean that's on the men's side too. You know, you could have said Kyrie could have made it and stuff like that, like they the committee say they look for people who you know. I don't know, honestly, but I could already tell like that wasn't the type of vib so I actually took my name out the pool like months ago. So when the list came out, I know everybody and who probably like I Rega should have been I knew I wouldn't be on it. Now that's not saying I didn't think maybe last year I would be on the team and I was good enough to make the team. But when the list came out, I knew I would not be on that one at the time because I took my name out the pool, and with the pool is it's a big commitment. Like if I know that they're not picking me, I'm not gonna you know, That's what I'm saying, keep having people pull up, keep going to these.
Speaker 6: Trials when I know the vibes. So me being me, I'm like, I'm not about to give you all my time if I know the vibes. So I knew. I knew for sure when the list came out it wasn't.
Speaker 7: But like I said previously, I didn't think I was good enough. But hey, you know, it's subjective who they think should be on the team. Everybody's great in the WNBA, so who they choose is who they choose.
Speaker 6: I can't really control that one.
Speaker 5: And you know, you know what, and I have a question.
Speaker 4: I'm sure the people that make are the people in positions of power that make these decisions on who they're going to assemble on the US basketball team. I'm sure they are basketball heads. But when it comes to this decision making and decision process, do you think it's politics that comes into play into this? Because I heard one of the key words I heard you say is the vibe and understanding the vibe. It really shouldn't be about the vibe or anything. It's about assembling the best team to represent our country. So I know, I don't I don't want to get you in any trouble, but can you really talk about, you know, the politics side of it when it comes to the decision making process for them?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I can't really speak speak to USA basketball in general, but just when I think of women's basketball, and just however many years I've been playing college and pro, politics is always pround now, whether that's whether that's USA Basketball, whether that's all star teams, whether that's first team and stuff like that. There's politics even with the men's Like there's politics in every thing. So I'm gonna just leave it at that.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts about the discourse around the w n b A.
Speaker 1: We hear a lot of talk because it's the league and a lot of there's a lot of comparison between Caitlin Clark and Angel Rees being the Bird in Magic coming into the w n B A, and we know what they did to the NBA because all of a sudden they took the finals game off the tape delay.
Speaker 2: There there was this new and it was a.
Speaker 1: Perfect storm because you got Magic and Lakers, you got Bird in Boston, the most heated rivals, the most fiercest rivals, and they go there so to speak, speak to what's what's going on with the w n B A. And it seems like these rooks are getting a lot, got a lot of credit for what's what's happening in the.
Speaker 6: Dub Yeah, I mean they they bringing a lot of attention.
Speaker 7: I think they should be getting credit to the point where they brought a lot of attention to the w n b A and the narrative that we don't, you know, appreciate that.
Speaker 6: It's crazy because I love it.
Speaker 7: I've been hooping, so more people watching the better, Like I've been doing what I'm doing. Now people kind of finally catching up and you know, you got to give credit to ag.
Speaker 6: You got to give credit to Caitlin.
Speaker 7: Because they brought a lot of fans from college. I watched the final four and I was at Dallas because I live in Dallas, so I went the year before that, and just.
Speaker 6: How many people is there. It's crazy, Like it was insane.
Speaker 7: And I played in the final four, I won a national championship, and I thought a lot of people were there. So this one, I'm like, they just bringing fans, fans, fans, So we appreciate everything that they're bringing. Now it's not saying they're the best women's I think like, yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like y'all now, seeing Stewie y'all, seeing Asia y'all, seeing just players like that, it was like they've been dominating for six, seven, eight years and these new players will do that at a certain point. But right now, I think just the WNBA, we like, we appreciate everything that y'all bring it. But it's not gonna be easy, like people like people are supposed to sit down and you know, put out a red carpent, like it's just harder. It probably will be harder because of who you are, but that's just what comes with it. Like that's like saying bron like people shouldn't check them because se the grades, Like no, they're gonna try even harder, and that's just what happens.
Speaker 6: That's just you know, competition.
Speaker 1: Are the fans getting popular confused with best? Because two things can be true. Somebody can be popular and not really good. If somebody can be really good and not popular, so are the fans.
Speaker 2: Are the fans getting those two things confused? Freak?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I feel bad for the girls because they're not the ones saying it.
Speaker 7: It's the fans, Like I'm not understanding where the delusion is coming from. Like Caitlyn and Angel have not said nothing like they the best players to come and at least say this day that they just want to come. They know it's the WNBA, they know how hard it is, so they probably like, can y'all be quite a little because y'all making it harder for me on the court, like y'all looking part on my back. So nobody blames them, like it's just the fans and what they bringing. But I think they learning now that this league is hard, Like they seeing every night people that they've never even heard of killing or garden and doing stuff like that. So they I think they're gonna catch up more like because now it's do with something to talk about.
Speaker 6: They want a storyline.
Speaker 7: But at the end of the day, like the league is gonna keep going and the thing's gonna keep being the same, So they just gonna waste their breath every day or they just gonna enjoy basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard you shutting down the critics like physicality because a lot of people are like, well, physicality in the dub is not good for basketball, like whoa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a male or female matter of the sport, it's a contact sport. In order to play the right way there, it has to be some type of physicality involved.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And people are being selective with what they're calling physical.
Speaker 7: Like if we're gonna talk about now we're talking about the rookie, so we're gonna talk about a hip check, that's not basketball. But if we talk about somebody holding being stripping the ball and they might falls around, that's basketball.
Speaker 6: There's a difference.
Speaker 7: Nobody's saying the hip check is being physical because that's obviously a flagrant foutain that's wrong. But it happens like because I watched the whole place, so I seen, you know, Kayln talk to her after that. So it's like, if you won't talk to somebody, you gotta be ready for something, no matter what it is. Like not saying the person's response is right, but what they respond is, what their respond is how they feel that you come at them.
Speaker 6: So that's different.
Speaker 7: But like I said, I'm not a type of player to do that to a player, Like, if you're gonna talk to me, I'm gonna show with my game. But like people got to get confused dirty and physical because it's gonna be physical and there will be some dirty, but that on me.
Speaker 6: We're all dirty. It's just some places might be dirty, some plays not just like men.
Speaker 7: It's like Draymond might choke somebody out. Yeah, he likes something too, So it just depends. Really, it's like individual to the player for real.
Speaker 2: It's not the whole league. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 4: I'm just excited for for the w n b A. I'm excited for the path is going. I'm excited that it's dominating the headlines the way it's the way, Uh it hasn't in the past, because if it did in the past, and I would actually know about it. And as I continue to learn the game, as the game confuses, it.
Speaker 5: Grows, and just it's really is really dope to see.
Speaker 4: And a lot of people, a lot of people, uh, they try to tell me, oh, man, way to go to these games.
Speaker 5: It's really boring. It's not the same as watching the NBA. And I say, this is the funny thing.
Speaker 4: Now that I've I've been able to experience it, and I've been to a game or two. Now I can sit here and argue with people on Twitter all God damn, they see y'all.
Speaker 5: Y'all see y'all fucking lad to me. You told me it was nothing. You told me was nothing like so and so.
Speaker 4: Now that I've done my homework and had the chance experienced what it's like in person, now I can go to bat and then the goddamn product on the court. It evens up with everything else the pundits and the journalists have been talking about.
Speaker 5: There's a reason why y'all making it. No whys y'all making that.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: We got some hoopers. I mean you can see it. You see the highlights, you see everything, like we got some hoopers. This every night is something honestly, and I mean I play against it, obviously I'm a part of it.
Speaker 6: But we got some hoopers in the league for sure.
Speaker 1: I think you guys reap is that you probably have to be a little better with the basketball for the simple fact you can't jump over somebody from the free throw line, so.
Speaker 2: You gotta find them.
Speaker 1: You gotta find a way to put the ball in the back in the basket without being several foot tall, without having without having a forty two inch vernacle. So your game, your skill set, the way you shoot the basketball, the way you get from point A to point B, it has to be pinpoint because you got obviously the strength and the athleticism that a man presents.
Speaker 2: Women just don't have that.
Speaker 7: And then the WNBA, honestly, we hold defense like the NBA hole defense, probably the last three minutes, last minutes in each quarter, the last three minutes of the fourth like other than that, they scoring forty fifty sixty seven because they just switched it everything.
Speaker 6: I'm like, if we were switching everything in w I probably every forty.
Speaker 5: But we trapped.
Speaker 7: You gotta do a lot, like you gotta do a lot NBA at watching them like y'all got it so sweet. Although they do got to play a lot of minutes, so I probably wouldn't be hoding defense season.
Speaker 6: Still, you know.
Speaker 1: What, oh Jo, and I wanted to say congratulations. We heard that you just got I did gradulations on the engagement that ask you this, Were you nervous?
Speaker 6: I was?
Speaker 7: And I had a game that day too, Okay, going on, I had a game they were setting up. I had thirty five.
Speaker 5: I went crazy.
Speaker 6: We lost them, but I did good.
Speaker 7: I gotta y'all lose, I know, right, Yeah, we're in a composition right now.
Speaker 6: We missed the two All stars. That's not an excuse, but uh we we're going through some growing things. I'll say that, but we'll be all right. But yeah, it was dope. It was. It was. It was amazing.
Speaker 7: I definitely was nervous, but once it happened like it was everything I ever wanted, So it was definitely dope.
Speaker 4: That's dope. Listen, congratulations on on engagement. I am also a wedding planner, amongst other things that they also do. I am also performing. I performed at two weddings two weddings last year. So if you need someonebody to perform I can also DJ. Well, I'm like, I got everything wrapped all in one.
Speaker 1: You gonna run the track that run to the pretty soon, pretty soon, he will tell you, you know here minister too.
Speaker 4: And then I just getting ready to tell you I'm a junior.
Speaker 5: I'm a junior ordained.
Speaker 4: Minister to So if you need someone JR.
Speaker 6: Junior, check this out.
Speaker 2: I heard you have you a figerhead that your hue game is crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I got a lot of shoes, and thankfully I'm a Nike athlete, so you can, like, once you get that, you really can get anything you really want.
Speaker 6: Like, but I got a lot of shoes for sure.
Speaker 2: Give me, give me your top five shoes that you have in your collection.
Speaker 7: Dang, I mean I got the U n C Off White. Okay, yeah, top five.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You got you got? Do you have any of the yeasies? Remember when when Kanye was with Nike? Do you have any of the easies?
Speaker 7: I got the runners, I don't have any of like the red boots, and so I know I got the black ones like some tan ones, but I can't wear them like they just on ice because I'm Nike.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, yeah, okay, you got to step both.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, I don't wear them honestly.
Speaker 7: But the thing is I being slides, Like if it's something tough, I wear, but most of hobby and slides or Nike running shoes.
Speaker 1: But hey, I also heard you wanted you wanted the top five best dress.
Speaker 6: No, no, I agree.
Speaker 4: You're putting that ship on You're putting that ship on that yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you if you top five and you say you're not two, three or four, four or five?
Speaker 2: So who who your other? Who you other four?
Speaker 6: The other four in the league right now?
Speaker 7: I'll give Tasha Cloud okay, okay, yeah Cloud. I give Skylar I like, okay.
Speaker 6: Kleia Copper, she got a smooth style.
Speaker 7: Okay, Klea Copper, Skylark.
Speaker 6: Who I'll get Dominant.
Speaker 5: Hills Okay, okay, okay, that's what's up. Yeah I like it.
Speaker 2: So you like do you like Do you like sneakers with all your outfits?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: I mean I used to be like super sneakerd up like Nike Nike, but now I just do like some overs or some like okay, shoes that ain't got really no label, but they just that. Most of my shoes been coming out of As you know, I'm on the player pants right now, so you might not even see the shoes.
Speaker 1: You you tell about bail bottle you got. So let me ask you a question. How long does it take you to put together outfit? Do you know your next game? Do you have your outfit already picked out? Or is it like last minute?
Speaker 7: Like yeah, usually the night before, Like I already ticked out when I'm about to work for the game tomorrow. So I'm not stressed because you know, the game days, it'd be a lot going on. I don't got time to be looking, and it takes a long time to pick out it, like unless I, you know, have somebody help me with outfit. If I'm picking my own, like, it takes me a long time, So I got to do it the night before for sure.
Speaker 1: So can we tell the difference between an outfit a rek picked out as opposed to someone helping her pick it out?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: The difference?
Speaker 7: No, Because I got style, So whether it's a stylist or whether it's myself, it's all.
Speaker 6: It's all at one.
Speaker 7: When I use a stylists collaboration because I'm not just wearing what you give me. Like if I think a shoe go better with that, I'm gonna wear that, or a pan go better with this top, Like it's usually like by pieces we talk about it.
Speaker 6: But if it's full fits and I like really really like it, I'm gonna wear the whole fit. But we usually talk about it.
Speaker 7: I'm never gonna wear some like like them NBA players, they got two thousand dollars on.
Speaker 6: They look a hot mess from top to ball. That's that's never gonna be me. That's never gone to me.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you a question when you go with so what do you what do you try to accomplish when you go to the game. Obviously you want to be stylish and you know because now every like everybody to fit entry into the game if damn and important is what happens in the game.
Speaker 7: But it just depends, like it really depends on the time I had the night before, Like if I'm really about to tap in. It depends on city too, like I like New York Arena, like I like Phoenix, so I might want to get more dressed up, like or if I'm in La or something. So it depends on the vibe of the game too. But if I just felt like getting dressed. If I'm at home, I'm gonna do that. So it's it's never really like am rhythm just whatever?
Speaker 5: To be honest, do you always get dressed up?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: If it ever, like when you go out somewhere that you might be seen or for togs might grab you, that you're not always to the nine?
Speaker 6: Nah? No, I'm no. I'll be in sweats like the time.
Speaker 7: Like the most time I'm dressed up is the tunnel, Like, Okay, that's what I like. If I got somewhere to go, yes, But I also don't go a lot of places.
Speaker 6: Like I'll be at home. I'm a homebody.
Speaker 1: I like to be at the house, right right, So what so what can we expect? You mentioned that you guys going through a little rough pack, you're gonna get some of your key players back. Are you doing your thing? What can we expect from the Wings moving forward?
Speaker 7: There? And reek fun basketball? I'm in exciting basketball. Like I'm I'm a flashy player type.
Speaker 6: So I like to entertain. I like to get a bucket. I like to I like to keep the fans and gags. But I also like to win.
Speaker 7: And compete and play with my team, so definitely hopefully a lot more wins. But anytime you go to a game, you're gonna get some exciting So definitely fans need to look forward to that.
Speaker 2: Who we like competing against who we like.
Speaker 1: When you like you gonna schedule, like okay, yeah, I know everybody's gonna be watching that game. Where whether it's the whether it's the Aces and Kelsey Plumb and Chelsea Gray and Asia Wilson, or if the Liberty it's the netcol Is Joan Cuell, Jones, is Stuart excuse me, whether you go not normally it's Seattle because they got them guards, they got scylet diggers, they got you tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Actually, oh yes, so that's the shame.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: Me and me and Juel we be having last time we played each other last year we had like both games like thirty and thirty. One time we had forty one and forty like we'd be going crazy and we both went to Notre Dance so it'd be competitive. But it's all fun, even Stylin like I love playing against great guards, like because.
Speaker 6: One you you cold, I'm cold.
Speaker 7: We about to see who the cold is tonight, like we about to see what's going on. And I love when we guard each other too, so it's really like each other. We're gonna score on each other. So I probably guard you them all. She probably guarded me, so it'll be fun, you know, playing against her. So I love playing against her and other players like who get up? Like yeah, I'm about to lie you up, Like I love that. Like I love when.
Speaker 6: People come at me competitive because I know what I have. I'm never for anybody. So we're just about to see who's gonna be the best.
Speaker 1: You are? You are you a trashed off and you be in your bag like that, like, yeah, that's that's one.
Speaker 2: That's a bucket that baby.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But I don't talk to people like if somebody you talk, nah, I don't really talk to people like I'd be more worried about the rest of anything. I was, like, that's a fire, I'm yelling out top. I'm not really young player, but I don't really I don't really trash talk. Like if I hit a good bucket, I might say at person.
Speaker 2: You know what, you were going dancing with the stars, what was that experience?
Speaker 7: Like it was crazy. I was more nervous for that than anything, Like you think it's not. You think it's not bad until you get to that little stage and you gotta do something you're not used to in front of all these people, like just like it was. And then the practice it's like we have to practice like three four hours a day. I'm like, I gained a lot of respect for dancers after dancers, I'm like, y'all really, like, that's a lot.
Speaker 6: It's a lot, but it was fun. I met a lot of cool people, but it was a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dancing with the Star was awesome.
Speaker 4: Obviously I did season ten Dance with the Stars with Cheryl Burke, and I always say it was a great experience.
Speaker 5: People always ask me about it.
Speaker 4: I say, it's very humbling, obviously with her being a professional dancer and then critiquing and judging you as a professional, not someone that's coming in learning week to week on how to perform, you know. So I mean it was very enjoyable. The funny thing about it is, I like it about the show. The whole point of the show. To me, it would be taking people with no background experience in dancing and watching them getting better week the week. But my season I had to go against Nicole Scherzinger, who was the lead lead singer for the Pushycat Dolls, and what she does for.
Speaker 5: A living is entertaining and performing from the people.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, well, why do y'all have me going against some of that already dances for a living when it comes to their respect and craft. So it made no sense. But I know I did fairly well that season, so I really wasn't tripping.
Speaker 6: Well. At least she did good. That's all that matter.
Speaker 1: Everyone, Please go follow a Rik on our social media's that's a Rik underscore. Goom on, I g at a Rik underscore. Oh capitol O on Twitter, Riek, thank you for joining us, Good luck the season, and uh congratula. You know what, if there's a game when we're in town at the on the tour, we'll swing through.
Speaker 7: All right, man, I'm gonna hold you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thanks for coming on with us tonight, a Rik, Oh goomba wile ladies and gentlemen. Uh that was a great conversation. You can tell that she's a very outgoing person. She has a lot to say. But she got crazy game, Oh Joe, she got crazy, crazy game. I got helped to her when she hit that shot Notre Dame time on the plot bowling, and uh, I think it, as a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think it might have been against you con but she ended up winning, winning the game.
Speaker 2: If I think it, that was a while ago, but she was.
Speaker 1: She's a fantastic ball She got handles, she can put the back, she can flat out score the basketball. She can flat out score the basket ball. And so it was really great having all Ocho. On a bit of sad news, the legendary great Jerry West passed away. The basketball icon NBA Champions a player. He's a Finals MVP. He's the only man to ever win Finals MVP on the losing squad that was in nineteen sixty nine. He's a fourteen time All Star. He was named All Star every single year he was in the league. He had nine nine NBA Finals appearances, had a series average which he averaged forty three points again forty six points a game, a scoring title, and an assist title. Twelve time All NBA, five time All Defensive, two time Executive of the Year, eight rings. As an exec helped build a shack in Kobe and the Showtime Lakers, helped build the Dynasty Warriors, better known as the.
Speaker 2: Logo the Great Jerry West at the age of eighty six.
Speaker 1: Fans condolences go out to his family everyone that was impacted. Obviously the Lakers where you spend his fourteen year NBA career, where he was a general manager that put those teams together. He moved on to uh he was in the U with the Clippers, Golden State, then the Clippers. So who Jerry West has passed away at the age of eighty six, thought some prayers to go out to all those impacted by the tragic passing of Jerry West.
Speaker 2: NBA legend is gone.
Speaker 5: Or you just you never know where.
Speaker 4: The funny thing about it is usually when it when it comes to celebs or people that are well known and in depth, it hits people differently, and for some reason, we take every day for granted. Every day we take it for granted because you never you never know. You know, when you're born, you're born with an expiration date. You never know where that date is going to be. And it's one of the few reasons why peop always say, boy, why you always why are you always huging people?
Speaker 7: Ay?
Speaker 4: You are always telling everybody that I love you because I don't know if it's gonna be the last time that I have any type of engagement with you. And if it is, I just wanted the last thought or the last last marrory and me to always be boy. I remember the last time I saw Ocho boy, he gave me a hug and told me loved me like you know me. God, damn, thirty years and that my first time meeting. Just look, just look, we know not the hour of yesday.
Speaker 1: And as the song says, it may be the last time I don't know, maybe the last time we sing together, maybe the last time we pray together, maybe the last time we get together.
Speaker 2: Lord, it may be the last time. I don't know again.
Speaker 1: Great legendary Jerry West passed at the age of eighty six.
Speaker 4: Well, if you got any family, but we got any friends, you know you don't talk to right now for whatever reason, y'all mad at each other.
Speaker 5: Think about it.
Speaker 4: Think about think about them now being able to say goodbye and then being gone.
Speaker 5: You regret it and go ahead and make amends.
Speaker 1: Man Tom Brady was inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame with his number twelve, Big Right in a Solda ceremony tonight, in front of more than sixty thousand fans in Gillette Stadium, Tom Brady was inducted into the New England Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Robert Kraft announced that the.
Speaker 1: Like we didn't know this for shoe, the number twelve Jersey will never ever be warned again. Craft also said a statue of Brady measuring twelve feet tall, will be unveiled due to twenty twenty fourth season, something the franchise has never done before. Brady expressed his thanks to mister Craft and concluded by saying, I'm eternally grateful.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Brady, and I'm a Patriot. I like it.
Speaker 4: Listen rightfully, So look at what he's done for the game, not just the Patriots, not just in general. We know what he's done with the Patriots. We know what he's done for Boston. We know he's done for that city. We know them for that organization. Twenty years, a good twenty years, A great twenty year run, that's great.
Speaker 2: They don't a great twenty year run.
Speaker 4: As a Patriot fan, you know how good it has to be to know, Oh, you know what's so most football season, guess what well it doesn't matter what happens, We're going to be in contention. Oh shit, year two we got Tom Brady quarterback. Well, you know what football seams almost here. Guess what. We don't know how the season is going to turn out, but guess what, we're going to be in contention. Hell, you know, some fans can't even wake up and say, well, I don't know how a season will go.
Speaker 5: Hopefully we make the playoffs.
Speaker 4: We're going to be in that b We're going to be in contention for twenty years straight. It has to be one of the best feelings as an owner, as a head coach, as a fan of a certain team, just knowing you're going to be there, You're going to be in the mix somewhere.
Speaker 2: Bro, he's the only guy I mean to play that long.
Speaker 1: But if you take his career in seven year increments every if he goes, You take the first seven years he's a Hall of Famer. You take the next seven years, he's the Hall of Famer. You take the next seven years the Hall of famer. With the exception of maybe one of those years, you could make a case that he's still he's still the greatest cornerback of all time. If you just if you, if you just take out all those just seven years, you still can have a compelling case based on how much he won, the consistency is won and what he won super Bowl.
Speaker 4: And the funny thing about it, by thing about it, if you look at Tom Brady's bad years, even his bad years is better than better than most bro.
Speaker 2: His bad years, he losing the AFC Championship game to Peyton.
Speaker 1: Manny, he loses, he losing to the Ravens, I mean, he losing the championship game or he losing the Super Bowl. His bad year is not oh they didn't make the playoffs. Oh, his bast year a bad year. I think maybe one year they wore out the first round. But for the most part, you could damn them, pencil them in for the championship game every time, every time, and you definitely didn't want to see him now because there was a good chance that he was gonna put foot seed. Tom Brady inducted himtol the Patriots Hall of Fame with his number twelve being retired, and mister Kraft said, there's a statue that's gonna be erected of Tom, measuring twelve feet tall, unveiled during the twenty fourth season, something the franchise has never done.
Speaker 2: There's a chance will never do it again.