Speaker 1: You got to enter your five I mean you knew. I guess you had some kind of idea. All right, here's what I think this whole thing is going to be like five years from now. Well, now we're five years from them. So how comparable is it to what you thought it may be like.
Speaker 2: Probably there's some similarities, but a lot different than you would imagine. And you never really understand. You always have this envision of what it's like to do something else, what it's like to be a coordinator, what it's like to be a head coach, what it's like to be Mary, what it's like to be a father, and then you get into that phase and you realize there's a lot more to it than you think. But it's been one of the greatest joys of my life and it's because of the people, the players, the people you get to work work with every day, this university. That makes it special. But uh, it's a lot different than you you probably thought. On the front end. I think most people when they undertake.
Speaker 1: A really high profile job, feel some level of imposter syndrome. Now, some people lie about it and say they don't feel it, and then other people are more honest than say they do.
Speaker 2: I know I've.
Speaker 1: Felt it before, getting to do like what I love to do for a living. When you became a head coach, like early on, where ever moment you're driving home, you're just looking in the rearview mirror. There are mornings in the bathroom you're saying, man, am I really ready for this? Like I'm the head coach at Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: There's still moments. So I spoke in the past that I laugh and one I go, I'm the head coach at Notre Dame. But there are times I go, I can't believe they hired me to be a good coach at Notre Dame. I say that all the time. I laugh and uh, you know, because you as you look at yourself, you probably you have I have this perception of what a college head coach is and what the head coach at Notre Dame is, and you probably don't think that way of yourself. And I just laugh and go, man, I can't believe they hired me to be the head coach. Here and perception reality are two different things. But I think that human element is important. I mean, it keeps you grounded, it keeps you grateful for the opportunity that you do have, because I think if you're not grateful for it, you'll lose it. Well, here's what's crazy about it.
Speaker 1: So like when you're coming up, it could be in any walk of life, it could be in any industry, but in coaching, when you're coming up, normally you're going maybe a ga For some people, eventually they get their own room, Eventually they get their own side of the ball. Eventually they become a head coach. But like the public looks at your Wikipedia page, it says he became a head coach this year. You think, in your mind, do I'm still the guy who was like ga ing a long time ago. I'm still a position coach, and now you're saying they're paying me more money, Like I'm much more high profile, But there's a part of me that still feels like I'm the same dude I always was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you are, Yeah, you are, you are. You don't feel different. I always say, this perception of you is different. Right as you continue to rise, people perceive you differently, but who you are on the inside never changes. And that's the thing that I often laugh about, is that I'm still the same person that was a GA or play ball and was a linebacker's coach. But I understand responsibilities are different. I understand that perception may be different. But what I've learned is you still to accomplish the task at hand that you have. It still goes down to those same things that made you a successful GA and that's hard work, that's working with people, that's gratitude for what you have, and it's the same thing that's going to make you a successful head coach.
Speaker 1: Are these talks you ever have to have with either a player or a staffer? You know, if I'm being recruit by Notre Dame, I play here, That's the most high profile thing I've ever done in my life. If I'm coaching here, it's probably the most high profile job I've ever had in my life. But yet I'm playing and or coaching here because I'm good enough to be here. How often do you have to tell guys, stop trying to reinvent yourself, stop trying to be one hundred and fifty percent of yourself. We want you to develop, but like, you're here because we thought you were already good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an everyday reminder right as to how do we chase being the best version of ourselves. We all have individual goals and I think I always say the thing we can control is trying to reach our full potential as a football team, as an individual. And let's see what the reward of reaching your full potential is. But that's what you're chasing every day. And you don't have to be somebody or not, but you do have to struggle with what you have if you truly want to elevate and reach your full potential.
Speaker 1: You were talking about perception and expectation and reality. So you guys, from the moment you were done with last year's season, you knew this is going to be a high expectation.
Speaker 2: Year coming up. Publicly, you always have it for yourself.
Speaker 1: We're going to be ranked really high, You're gonna be on the cover of magazines, like a lot's going to be expected of us. And you know, ten years from now, you'll look back on the season and it'll just you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's like a line item.
Speaker 1: But when you're living it in the moment, there are seven months between the way last season ended and then leading up to this year that people.
Speaker 2: Hear noise and there's chatter and there's.
Speaker 1: Expectation, I don't know if that changes your preparation at all individually, but how much does it maybe change the way that you try and wire this building to understand guys, just because it's expected of you. There were three teams last year that were preseason top ten that finished on rank like, nothing's guaranteed. How much do you have to kind of caution against that or is it just baked into the DNA of the building?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think more than anything, it's that this place is full of high achievers that want to be the best, and they want those things that probably everybody else expect from you and your group, and I remind them to struggle with what we have, right, we have to. Truly we say choose hard, which is another phrase of struggle with what we have, and the understanding that there's times we can go and pull from the past. We can use the different moments from the past to motivate us. Right. We all need that. We all sometimes default to just doing what's average, to choosing easy, and so there's times I'll go to the past and pull from now. So I always say, keep the pain, I'll pull from the past. But you can't do it every day. You got to wake up on most days and make the decision. Am I going to choose hard or not? And if we do that, then we got a chance to accomplish those goals and those expectations that everybody has. But us daydreaming about that, us thinking about that and not really taking advantage of what we have in this moment, is going to waste the opportunity that we have right in front of us. I remember back when I played Little league baseball. My dad was the head coach.
Speaker 1: And he'd always get mad at us when we complained about a call third strike, because you know, his message.
Speaker 2: Would always be never leaving in another's hand. And I'm probably breaking.
Speaker 1: Cart and I just I try and envision you walking around this building at the end of last year.
Speaker 2: You're mad because you didn't make it to the.
Speaker 1: Playoff externally, internally, like you can tell me how far off I am. I picture you walking around saying, that's what you get when you leave it in the committee's hands. Right, you can't leave it in their hands. You got to leave no doubt. How close am I to basically being in the staff.
Speaker 2: Room or being in team meetings. You're spot on in my head, you know, I think At first, my default was the same as many other people, as you blame somebody else. That's what default is, is you're just gonna blame It's not my fault, it is it's the committee's faulted, somebody else's fault. We should have been in the playoffs. And but if you continue to have that mindset, you can't use that nigga of experience right. And I always say you learn outside lessons when you have success. When you win a game, there's tactical things we have to do better. We did well, But I believe in failure you learn the greatest lessons because they're inside lessons. And in order to learn from those inside lessons and improve and be better, you have to own it. You have to own the fails, You have to own the situations. You have to own that you sleep in the bed you make and that's how you learn from that. If you blame somebody else, you lose it. And so my job is every day is remind everybody and myself that everything that happens to you in life, you have to own it so we can use it to improve from it. I always often say, like the pain of a loss is, it's tough, it's hard, but it's there to help you grow. It's no different than the pain from a physical wound. Right you scape you have pain, you want to make the pain go away. Well, the inside pain from a loss or a failure. It's there so you can grow from it. You want to make it go away. The only way to make it go away is continue to learn from and grow from it and use it. And so I don't want to lose some of those negative experiences. Yes, not making a playoffs. There's one, but there's plenty of them in our past. There's ones that we all have as individuals, and some of these that we have as a team in a program. But I want to use them to make us better.
Speaker 1: I can loosely explain how this is applied to me, but I want to see how it applies to you.
Speaker 2: Like as a leader of a big organization, you.
Speaker 1: Don't know what the negative experiences are that are going to come, but you know they will come, so like you want to proactively say, I know those times are.
Speaker 2: Going to be valuable.
Speaker 1: I know it's going to test us. I know our response is going to define our characters. So I gotta be ready before they have Like before the martial loss happens, or the Northern Illinois laws happens. I hope they don't happen, but when they do, I've got to be able to leverage that to be a growth pill for our place. How immediately after a negative experience does that like kick in for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It takes time. It's so funny with the things you say. Is the things often remind myself and our program is the future's uncertain, right, we never envision the future with the negative things that are going to happen. Yeah, just up man, it is. It's just perfect upward trend. But life is a bumpy rope, and you know you have to embrace that. And it takes time, different amounts of time to figure out what you need to learn from the previous failure. But you can learn something if you spend enough time and really reflection and valuation and those type of things. And you know, I could study Miami from last year and say, Okay, here's the things I wish we would have done differently, right, and what less we need to learn from that? Or A and M the many lessons we learned from there. But it sometimes takes time, different amounts of time to figure out what you need to learn from each failure.
Speaker 1: I know your goal was to be a head coach. Like when you were an assistant, you looked the one day and.
Speaker 2: Said, I want to be a head coach. Correct? Correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, So like I've never been able to talk to you about this. The moment when that happens, the opportunity is presented to you. Brian Kelly's leaving here, he's going to LSU. That entire time, that entire moment in time of your life. What was that like to experience? Because everyone says whirlwind, and I imagine it was a whirlwind for you. There's no, there's no we're gonna let you be the head coach. Okay, go get ready for two years it's you're the head coach. Go coach again.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. I usually use the word whirlwind, but I'll use tornado. I mean, I'll use something different. It's it's it's just go go go go, go, go, go, go, go go do this, do that, which you don't know. It went from late night telephone conversations with different members of our board r AD president to an interview in person with our athletic director, Jack Swarbrick at the time to Okay, we're gonna name you head coach. To Hey, you're in front of the entire staff, you're the head coach, say something, shoot, hey, what do I say? You know? Then all of a sudden, Hey, we're gonna introduce you as the head coach of the team. To next thing, you know, I was taking photos with my family, and my family doesn't know what's going on. Hey, you got to be here at nine in the morning. We're taking pictures on the field. It's freezing cold. My kids are like, what's going on? My wife is, oh, I got to get closed for him to You're on college game day. And I remember, actually that was probably the first interview I did. We were on college game day. I was sitting in a room and I was speaking to them really looking just into a camera, but you couldn't see them, but you could hear them. And I remember for moment going like holy cow, like this is a lie. You know. The next you know, you had a press conference, You're on the road recruiting for a week straight. Oh yeah, and we gotta get ready for a bowlgain and it was just go, go, go, go go, And you didn't know. It's almost like you were just kind of just in a moment, and then you get time to reflect, right, you learn, and you know you're you're grateful for that moment. Sometimes you wish you can go back and redo it, but you can't. But it is a lot just throwing at you right away. But over time you figure it out. You start to figure it. I don't know if you ever truly get it all figured out. If somebody did, then they would win every game they played. But you start to figure out, okay, this is what being a head coach in tails. What I had to do, probably at first is kind of push away and say, okay, what who do I need to meet with? What's the priority? Exactly right? And and then over time and the experience, you start to say, okay, I'm starting to understand what it takes our process to have success.
Speaker 1: If I were to have been hired at Florida instead of some whole, if I got hired at Auburn instead of Alex Golish and I called you and I said, hey, man, you've been through this. I know you pretty well. Give me one or two biggest piece of advice, like what am I about to experience? What should I prioritize. What were the trial and error results that you went through.
Speaker 2: What would you say You're going to lose. That's the first thing I'm gonna tell you. And cause you never think about that, you're gonna lose and it's gonna be okay, and use the lessons from losing to help you improve and be better. Like you're going to have failures. You can't do this thing alone. It's about people. Get the right people in your building. Spend time with your players because they're the most important people to have a success. Recruit your tail off, but understand that that you're going to have failure, you're gonna lose. Just know it's about the people. Get the right people. You can't do everything. You can't do everything. You don't know everything. Surround yourself with people that have answers where maybe you don't have all the answers, because if you have all the answers, then it's hard to grow. I always say that be cautious of people that have all the answers because they don't feel that they have the capacity to grow. They don't need to gain wisdom. I love to surround myself with people that have way more answers than I do. And it's okay, you're still a head coach. Don't worry about, you know, bringing in people that have strengths where you have weaknesses. It's just gonna make you and your.
Speaker 1: Program better when you're hiring someone, especially someone who's expertise is way out of your wheelhouse. Sometimes for some guys that strength and conditioning or nutrition or sports science or something like that, and yet it is up to you to decide whether they're going to work for you or not. What's the interview process like and how much of it is you saying, Look, I don't know hiring someone who knows way more than I know about this specific thing I got.
Speaker 2: I got a loose understanding of it. But explain it to me.
Speaker 1: Explain something I don't know a lot about thoroughly enough to where I'm gonna hire you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's those key positions that you mentioned that really the head coach has to make the decision. It's important for me that your interview, more than anything's gonna be as many people as I call that know you, that I can trust what they'll tell me. Somebody's going to tell you the truth. I mean, somebody's going to tell you the honest truth, and I want to know who you are in a tough time. I'm gonna call everybody that you've just had a touch point with and say, who's Josh Pate When it gets really tough, who is he as a person? And a lot of times, for me, that's the interview. Anybody can come in here and wow me and say, hey, I know these x's and o's on offense or defense, or this is the greatest thing in the weight room, But what type of person are you? Show me the experience that you've had, the success that you've had. I always say that that Notre Dame probably isn't the place to figure out if somebody's qualified to be in that position. You know, I want to see some of the success you've had in previous previous places. But the other thing is maybe we're hiring somebody that is in your expertise or your field house, the assistance rint coach or the next intern. Well, now I'm going to empower you. Right, you bring the right guy in. Right, You've got to bring the right guy in because my expectation is for us to be the best. Right and you have to now be able to hire somebody you believe is going to help this department be the best, and we're going to hold each other accountable to those expectations.
Speaker 1: How big would you say your circle is appears the ones you call on regularly, text regularly, know that you could bounce something off of in confidence. I mean, there are not a lot of head coaches out there. Yeah, and it may be like a CEO of a company who's never coached a day in his life.
Speaker 2: But how big or compact is that circle for you? It's as big as you can think as an accessibility, right, I got the ability to connect with a lot of different people in all different fields just because of who you know that knows somebody. But you know, the people you talk to regularly, there's not that many because you're just so busy and they're busy, and but you know, in important times you're able. You can always reach out to them. There's people to reach out to me. If you need to find an answer, there's somebody in that network or in your wheelhouse that can give you that answer or you can gain some of that wisdom. But I'll tell you what like people are are generous, people are available, but you've got to go seek out the answers. You can't. They're not gonna call you every right if you want an answer, there's somebody or actually multiple people that really have great info, but you gotta go seek it.
Speaker 1: How much has that paradigm started to shift a little bit for you now that you're several years into being a head coach where you know it starts out you're the one reaching out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you don't still reach out, but now you may be a guy who people are reaching out too.
Speaker 2: More and more. Yeah, there's been quite a few first time head coaches or or guys that have actually coached longer to meet it reach out and say, hey, if you're open, how do I want to know how you handle this or your mind if I come and spend a day or two with your program, And I'm always open to that, Like, I don't feel like we have some secret formula that we don't want anybody to see what we're doing or come in spend some time here, because I'm going to gain something from the time we spend together. And I think it's important. I think it's an important to help the profession to continue to and I'm not really talkingctical idea as much as is big picture ideas with other coaches, and is there a better way to do it? How are we handling the changes that are happening in college football? And you know, I'm accessible and other people have been very accessible to mean.
Speaker 1: Man, you're the head coach at Notre Dame, which means you've got a really big voice. You just talked about all the changes happening in college football. It's my job to cover the stuff day to day. And I look at some of it and say, I've got no interest in talking about this, or I don't even understand this. And sometimes those two meet and I don't understand it and I don't want.
Speaker 2: To talk about it.
Speaker 1: But like people come to you inevitably and say, Marcus Freeman's thought on this, what is it?
Speaker 2: Or they just look to you and expect you to speak.
Speaker 1: Out on everything. How do you know when the right time is to use your voice? And I got a lot of equity built up, I'm gonna throw it behind this or that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's times where it is important because of the position you hold. I have to have a strong passion about it. I have to be well educated about it. Before I just go out and say something that's a novel concept. Yeah that's interesting. Not everybody goes with that theory. But I want to know every side. I want to know why this group is saying sixteen teams, this group is saying twenty fourteen to all the I mean all the different things with nil, you know, transfer port all these different areas. I want to be well educated before I develop my own opinion. I'll have an opinion and sometimes I'll share it, sometimes I won't. But if I'm not well educated in the topic, I probably stay away from it until I learned enough. And then I have to have a passion to want to learn about it too. Because you're busy. You're busy with everyday task of being a head coach at Notre Dame. Our administration does a great job of informing me on topics that they feel like I need to know. But they also do a great job of don't worry about it, don't waste time, not wasting my time until they feel like I need to know. But then there's certain times that I'll hear something I said, I want to know more. Let me talk, let me talk to our ad let me talk to other people into profession and get their thoughts on this topic, and then I have to develop my own in terms of what I think is best for our program.
Speaker 1: The whole playoff debate, notwithstanding you as a player, former player, you as a current head coach, when you think about being a college football player college football head coach, I want to ask you what comes to your mind, because I know, as an observer slash passionate fan of the sport my whole life, I never used to think postseason.
Speaker 2: I thought regular season.
Speaker 1: I thought Saturdays in the fall, and that's the center of my college football world and anything that surrounds it is whatever surrounds it. But I've always wanted to crystallize that. That's why last year, for example, like it's such you don't make the playoff, But at the same time, I love there's so much urgency placed on things. Yeah, that you got room to lose one game, You could maybe even lose a couple of games, and if everything falls right, then you get in.
Speaker 2: But it's not you.
Speaker 1: Can't lose the third, you can't lose a fourth and still get in. Cause that that just crystallizes those saturdays.
Speaker 2: To me.
Speaker 1: When you're a player, when you're a coach, I say college football, Like, what is the thing that pops in your mind?
Speaker 2: I still think every Saturday matters and we approach its. Every Saturday matters. What changes now is Okay, your mindset maybe depending on the outcome of that previous Saturday, Whereas probably when I played, if you lost a game, for sure, if you lost two, you knew that, Okay, we've got twelve games in a bowl game and that's what we got. Well, well now it's like, okay, guys, we might've lost a game. We still understand what lies ahead, what we can achieve, but this Saturday matters, right, And so I think the ability to have that hope for the postseason is important. But the only way to get to that point is to take care of this Saturday, right. And so I know people talk about we're devaluing every week with the playoffs and maybe expanding the playoffs, but every Saturday still matters, man, Every Saturday matters in terms of finding a way to go out there and compete. We train probably three hundred days a year to really get an opportunity to go out there and compete. Twelve guarantees Saturdays, right, and that's what sometimes you would understand, like these guys want to go out there and play somebody else. They want an opportune to go out there and play somebody else for the opportunity to win, and they deserve it. They deserve it, and we're going to continue to cherish those saturdays, and then we'll deal with the postseason when it gets here.
Speaker 1: From the time your a long clock goes off the morning of a game day to the time toe meets leather game is kicked off, what is it like upstairs for you? What is your mind like, what your demeanor like, get super st like, how do you carry yourself on a game day?
Speaker 2: You really try to get a feel for your team the tactical aspect. Like we always say that Hayes never in the barn, but by the time you wake up on Saturday, it's it's almost as close to being in the barn as you can. Now. We'll still have some walk through, some last minute meetings to really fine tune things, but I'm always looking at the mindset. I'm looking at there as this team ready or we focus on the things that matter. But then sometimes I can't let how I feel personally affect the room. Right affect the greater good of the room. I gotta believe this. I got to always say trust beyond knowing that they're ready to go, they're in the right mind frame. But I don't want them to be on edge. I don't. I don't want them to feel like they're the robots and they have to walk this way, look this way, act like I want them to. Each individual is different how they approach a game. I'm different than maybe you or the guy. But if we have our process in terms of what we do on game day, I have my own personal process. It's important we have home games. We always have masks right after that final team meeting, which I love it because it kind of brings you, it centers you. And right we go from having a team meeting, highlight film, we get on the bus and now let's get centered and get our minds right and understand how fortunate we are to be on this earth. And again the faith element, and that's never another subject we could talk about, but I think it's so important to be able to center yourself. Then you walk out of that basilica and there's fans, there's crowd, and it's a rush. It's adrenaline rush, then you go into the stadium, and then you go in locker room. You gotta get centered again, right, okay, here, calm down, go through our process and then get ready for the game. But you know, you just got to trust beyond knowing that they're ready, that you're ready, that your team's ready, then you go play.
Speaker 1: I always thought what would overwhelm a normal person most if they were to walk in a coach or a player's shoes, is you don't even have to draw up the plays, don't even worry about that, don't even go to practice and knockheads every day. But I just want you to hang alongside someone who does. So you're gonna get all the hours in, you're gonna get all the obligations.
Speaker 2: In, or you're at least gonna observe that person.
Speaker 1: But then Saturdays like game days, applying everything that's happened those three hundred odd other days a year to that Saturday for sixty minutes and watching how big a sensory overload a Saturday is. To me, an outsider would look at that and say, I can't believe this person maintains composure, Like I can't believe this person amidst all this can even focus now.
Speaker 2: Once you do it a long time, you get used to it. But that's the beauty.
Speaker 1: To me, whether you're even just there as a guy covering the game, a spectator, or especially someone who's between the lines or on the sideline coaching the game, is amidst all that craziness, pageantry, whatever you want to call it, that makes college football great. You got someone many someonees who hopefully are doing a job at an extremely high level, and they're able to just like block it all out, which is pretty atypical. It's like a starting pitcher in Major League Baseball like saying, I didn't even notice crowd noise. I didn't even notice this or that because you're so locked in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to practice that, and it's never going to truly replicate the game and the emotions that a game presents, but you got to practice being able to focus on the moment when we talk about we have to win a moment, but to win a moment, you have to be in the moment, and so you try to do it with crowd noise and practice, you try to do it with surprise we call them chaos periods and practice where they're not ready and take them in a different places to practice. But it's still about the ability to once the foot hits the ball, can you exit cute on this play? And the only way to do it is to be in the moment, be present where you're at. And so pregame I always say take it in. I mean some coaches might say, no, I don't want you to look in the crowd. Take it in, man. That's what makes college that's what makes college football special. When you run out of tunnel every Saturday, no matter if I'm a player or I'm coach, it's in adrenaline, rush and excitement, a gratitude, emotional moment every single time you do it. But then after everything and all the pregame festivities are done, you got to get locked in into the moment in the most challenging times once the game starts. Is those crucial crucial moments two minute situations, fourth down play, third downplay. It's still about being in the moment to execute. It's hard enough to execute and do your job, but you have to be in the moment to do that right. And if you're not in a moment, in your mind's elsewhere, there's no way you can get you your job done on that play and the minute that plays over, no matter what happened in the past, refocus when this play. And that's just something you got to train, you got to talk about. There's really there's tools you can use and you can practice in meditation. It can be doing stuff with our sports site guy doing it out on a practice field, but you got to practice that you can it's easy to say that, it's really difficult to do, but you got to practice.
Speaker 1: I know, like I don't know anything about figure skating, but it was always fascinating to me that a figure skater can twirl.
Speaker 2: And speed up and speed up and speed up, and you.
Speaker 1: Think about how much precision has to go into creating that. And it's the same thing when you're building and when your team is in the right place and when it's clicking, you understand the least little grain of sand in the machine here could throw us off.
Speaker 2: That's right. So last year, you guys lose too early.
Speaker 1: You know, you got no margin for error, and you're trying to walk a tight rope the rest of the year. Well, then all the NFL chatter starts. The job speculation chatter starts on the outside of the building.
Speaker 2: I'm really curious. We all know how it ended.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, like glad you're still here, but on the outside, like how did you not handle it yourself?
Speaker 2: But like tell everyone else.
Speaker 1: How to handle it. You've got people who represent you, You've got family, you got people calling you, hitting you up, and all the while you're trying to say, I'm a racehorse with blinders on, Like I don't want to hear any of this right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the year before there was a little bit of chatter, but you're in the playoffs and that's your only focus. You know, this year got really loud after the end of the regular season, and you know, usually I've never been in this position where we're not playing in a bowl game or playing in the playoffs, And so I did. I took a minute to really say, what is this opportunity of being an NFL head coach? I never coach the NFL. I wanted to know what they look for, what they think it takes to be successful, and I gained some valuable knowledge. I was always honest with our players if they asked and they talked to them, I said, listen to guys, like I'm the head coach. At Notre Dame. And I can't control what opportunities or what people are saying outside of this building. But and I was always in communication with our athletic director, I mean and and my family and then But for me, it was it was the opportunity to be the head coach of this this university was one that I wasn't ready to let go. And I love this place. I loved more importantly the people here, the opportunity to coach these young men, many of you recruited for multiple years. Like, that's just something I'm not ready to let go of. And uh, it's it's it's the opportunity of a lifetime and uh you know again, Uh. The other thing I use it to tell the team like with team success comes individual opportunity and the head coach's reflection of the players of other coaches. We've had some coaches get opportunities to go coaching the NFL, and I'm happy for him. But if we weren't having team success, if we didn't win those last ten games, then they would my name or nobody else's name be floating around here. But you get a guy like Jeremiah Love, who had an unbelievable season, it's up for the Heisman. It's the number three overall pick. Well, there's a strong feeling if we didn't win those last ten then he wouldn't have been up for the Heisman, right. So it's a reminder for all of us that with team success comes to individual opportunity. So let's just be let's just be intentional about and focused on team success. If we do that, your individual opportunities and individual praise, those will come, but it's a result of team success. So let's just be focused on team success. And that's the message we'd constantly say.
Speaker 1: As you and I are sitting here, were a couple of weeks removed from springball wrapping up, and the outside world knows well Notre Dame will have a lot expected of them. I just saw two tailbacks from the same team going the first round of the draft, so you know the public would look and say that may be an area of concern. I actually don't have that very concern for you that position. But you're the head coach here, so I'll ask, as much as you can know about a team coming out of spring, what is the perception of the group you have here right now?
Speaker 2: My perception, yes, it's it's a talented group and we got we got work to do. They put they put in fifteen really good spring practices, but before that, we had eight strong, solid weeks of winter conditioning and strength and conditioning, and that's something we haven't had. We had maybe three four after the National Championship game, and so to have eight solid weeks to look at them physically, get bigger and stronger, to have our ability to have football school, so you know, mentally they're at a different level. The foundation is higher. We have a ways to go, but the foundation with both coordinators back, our special teams coordinators back, our starting quarterbacks back, we got a lot of production that back. The foundation is higher, but the work still needs to be put in right. We got a ways to go until we get to Game one, and we have to continue to be focused on struggling with what we have. Let's go back to the very first company. We have to struggle with what we have right in front of us if we want an opportunity to have success and reach our full potential. I don't know what it's like to be on the cover of Esquire. Never done it.
Speaker 1: I especially don't know what it's like to be on the cover of Esquire, but then also stand up in front of a room full of eighteen to twenty five year old guys who have seen it. How was that whole thing perceived and received in this Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love this. Like I often said, two safe places, right, And I'll tell you what that means. Second, I'll say my home in this football facility, and when I mean safe plays, that means that they treat you like a normal person. My role here is this is my responsibility. My role at home as a husband and a father, that is my responsibility. But they treat you truly like a normal person. And so when you're a part of a family and you're supposed to be this head football coach and you're on the Esquire and we'll give you some crap, man, it's like, I don't know if you saw that Kevin Hart roast. They were roasting me, and but that's what family does, all right. Because the same thing of one of our players was on the cover Esquire, I'm gonna be roasting them too. And that's the fun part about being in this building with guys that you love and you trust and you have a true connection with because we're allowed to make fun of each other. We're allowed to be a family, and we're also allowed to have clear expectations for each other. But yeah, there was there. It was a fair amount of roast being going on. Definitely when those pictures came out, I think a couple guys were walking by my office posing with their hands run the same thing my daughter did at home. She said, Dad, I just got to ask you out like you had your hand behind your head, like did you choose to or they asked you did? And I said, well, they told me to do that. Your daddy doesn't know what to do. But I love that. I love that we can have those type of interactions.
Speaker 1: Did you do any comparison you versus Lane? I mean, did you ever think one was better than the other?
Speaker 2: And you know what? Credit to him, man, I haven't seen his h I'm sure he did a good job. I'm sure he did.
Speaker 1: Really smart and really really well handled. You were just talking about something there that I was going to ask you about. But you're talking about basically like the not for public consumption part of being a head coach, the locker room, the brotherhood, like it's a lot lesser than it used to be because of how much access people have, how much visibility people have.
Speaker 2: You've got an entire social.
Speaker 1: And digital team whose specific jobs it is to capture.
Speaker 2: As much of the day to day.
Speaker 1: But yet even then, there's still those few moments, those few sanctuaries that you.
Speaker 2: Have where you know, no cameras, no mics, it's just us.
Speaker 1: H How different do you feel in those moments versus pretty much ninety five percent of the time when you know there's some kind of spotlight on me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's authenticity, Like, that's the real you. I think at times we're all filtered when we have a camera in front of us or a camera on us. But those moments where you can be truly authentic and have those one on one conversations or a conversation with a group, and that's life, that's what makes it specially, that's a real relationship, right, It's not a fake when that's a real one. And that's what I enjoy most about the position I hold is. It isn't the notoriety, isn't the winds. It is none of that. It's the ability to have real relationships with other people, especially young people, and in hopes that they're better because of the time they spent with you. These relationships last forever. They don't last until they're gone. These are lifelong relationships. But you hope that because of the relationships that you have with these young people, they're better off in life. And that is a reflection of authentic conversations right in your office where one of your players can be crying or you got to get after their butt, or you got to hold them account or you got to show them why. This is why I'm hard on you. This is why I tell you things. This is why you've got to continue to choose hard. But that's what like, real relationships are all about.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna kind of get you out of here on this one. You talked about having never felt like you really arrive. It's always a process. You're always trying to grow football or life, Like what are areas right now that you look at and you say, that's still kind of a work in progress right there.
Speaker 2: That thing over the past couple of years.
Speaker 1: I really feel like I've progressed there, or maybe I haven't, and I'm trying to. And obviously that all tails back into how you perform at your job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think in every area of your life there is no finish line until your life here is over, and then I choose to believe there is no finish line after that, because then you go to the afterlife. But there's been growth as a head coach, as a father, as a son, as a husband, as a coworker. There's been growth in every area of my life. But there is no finish line. There's more to grow, there's more answers, there's more improvement. And the minute I believe you have a arrived in any area of your life, you'll stop growing. And ultimately, if you stop growing, you fail. You regress. You don't stay the same right either either working out in the weight room, getting better, getting stronger, or you're gonna is exactly right. And it's the same thing in all those areas that we discussed. As a coach, as a husband, there's a father and the challenges to catch yourself regressing. That's the challenge because we all we all fall short in every area at some point. Catch yourself and continue to choose hard. If you can do that, that's probably one of the greatest gifts that a person can have or stream. This is awesome, man, thanks man, appreciate it, shaate it. To Josh must be twenty one plus and present in select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino, or eighteen plus and present in DC. First online real money wager only five dollars first deposit required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable bonus bets which expire seven days after receipt. Restrictions apply see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler, or visit FanDuel dot com slash rg call one eight eight eight seven eight nine seventy seven seventy seven, or visit CCPG dot org slash chat in Connecticut, or visit nd Gamblinghelp dot org in Maryland. Hope is here, Visit Gambling Helplinema dot org or call eight hundred three two seven fifty fifty for twenty four seven support in Massachusetts, or call one eight seven seven eight Hope, n y or text hope and why in New York