Speaker 1: Man All Star twenty twenty six MLB Philly.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, see why would what I appreciate you? Bro?
Speaker 1: We got a good one to start. Man, someonhe I grew up loving one of the more interesting stories in baseball, kind of disregarded, went to Japan to resurrect his career, and came back as one of the most feared sluggers MLB has ever seen. Welcome to the show, Cesso Fielder.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you. I hate it, baby, I made it, you made it. I'm on top, I'm on the smoke.
Speaker 2: Let's get it.
Speaker 4: You know, when you think of it as a kid, the time that you're most locked into whatever sport, it is that you're a fan of the guys that you look at and the guys who are on TV that are making the name, the posters that you see hanging up in kids' rooms. For me, you gotta realize I was born in eighty three, so you know, nineteen ninety ninety one, ninety two, seven, eight, nine, ten years old. This is when you know you're following the game, you're seeing the posters up and you remember Cecil Field and you remember that it was the coast to coast posters that were up the slugging era of the early nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, big daddy. I think I.
Speaker 4: Remember seeing this exact poster right here in a friend's room. So, yeah, you're talking about the early sluggers of the nineties, you were right there amongst the top of them.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I tell you, I in my years in Toronto, which was you know, in the middle eighties, you know, we had some hell of a baseball players. I mean my homeboys. I grew up with Jesse Barfield, lower with most.
Speaker 4: Jesse because I played with the son John Yeah.
Speaker 3: George Bell, I mean Willie Upshaw. I mean I had soldiers, you know. So they they raised me in the game and they taught me how to play the game the right way. And then you got my homie, my room with Fred McGriff, myself, Willie, and then John ol Rude on the way. There's only one baseball, so you know, my best bet, I didn't know anything about Japan. I'm gonna just tell you straight up. I didn't know well ahead they were sending me, but I knew I wanted to get my ass out of Toronto, So I called Cito Gaston who was my hitting instructor. And I said, see thou, they've offered me a nice little piece to get out of here and go to Japan. And playing at my age, it didn't happen. I was twenty four years old. So at my age, you know, guys didn't go to Japan. It was the guys that already finished their cariss here and then they stepped off. So but I said, hey, I gotta go because my boy was banging, Freddy was banging. I wasn't getting enough planning time to really show what I had. So I said, yeah, I'm going, and I went on Japan. And then I did my tax free too, right, No, no, no, you had to pay all you had to pay. But it was nice stuff going from this and now this is this.
Speaker 2: Was the crazy part about it.
Speaker 3: So the young fella was making a buck in a quarter in Toronto in eighty five, age no age seven. I made a buck in a quarter, went to Japan. I made one point five from a buck in the quarter. I ran my ass to Japan. The decision, look what easy easy. I'm in my agent and the Japanese guy would negotiating the contract in Chicago. I remember like it yesterday and the night before it broke off. Both sides was pissed off. So I'm like, where the hell y'all going? No, no, no, We're gonna finish this shit right now. And everybody left them came back the next morning. That shit was done in ten minutes. So, hey, I was in Japan. I did my thing there and got an opportunity to come back. Tigers was in last place, lost over one hundred games in nineteen eighty nine, so it was an easy fit for me to come in there. Sparky told me when I first got there, Hell, we lost one hundred games last year, so you come here. You can do whatever you want because it don't matter. Were Terriblething's better than that.
Speaker 1: Now, question any similarities to mister baseball Tom Selleck as far as just the energy and craziness of the crowd, he said, hell, no, none of that shit.
Speaker 3: I mean no, I mean, I was a wild bearer, but you know I didn't care. You call me whatever you want. As long as that paycheck is coming, you can call me anything. I think my time in Japan was just a time for me to hone in on what I had to do. I had. I had a thought process going on. I wasn't gonna stand Japan for the rest of my career. I was gonna come back and and rekav it. I had some form, so I did it. I did Roy Firestone show at nighteteen ninety and we were we were on Roy Firestone. I kind of take this from Mr Uh from Jerry Maguire. When my boy went on Roy Firestone told Roy he wasn't gonna get emotional. So I get on Roy and Roy asked me a question that Pat Gillick, who is the who is the man in Toronto? He said, Pat said that he got to use two and three players for you. And I told Roy, I said, Roy, I ain't gonna get emotional about what past said because he just pissed off that I'm over here beating the shit out of him. When I go to Toronto, I beat. I had seventeen ho runs off trunk. They couldn't get me out. I was hit him in the fifth deck pimp, and I was doing everything I could to let him know. Just like T I said, you better let him know because I had to. You can't just let me go and act like I ain't nothing. No, You're gonna respect that you're gonna respect it because I I was a player. I told him I was a player from the beginning, but I just didn't get the opportunity to do it on a daily basis.
Speaker 4: You have to you have to gamble on yourself and did you have to trust your ability and like at some point every player has to have that dog in.
Speaker 3: Him at some point.
Speaker 4: Oh and as you see, you know the game, and I want to ask you even how much you're following the game now because the game has changed so much from when you play to where you know the game is right now. How much do you follow the game now? What are your thoughts or how it was? What's the same, what's different from then and now?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the difference is, Man, we were soldiers. Man, we went out to play. I mean we didn't take days off. I mean I mean, like I said, I go out there. And I think that's why I earned the respect from Sparky's I did because Sparky used to be a hard liner when he was in Cincinnati. I mean, you know sports code in the lobby, you couldn't go down with jeans on and when I first got here, that's the way it was. But I kind of you know, I kind of pushed him a little bit to do some things differently. No kids in the clubhouse, no kids on the field. I'm like, dude, I got a kid that want to smell of dirt. Man, But what we're doing here? He said, says, I gotta tell you this. I love that old man. That's the only man I ever cried for that passed away. Other than my people say that man. That man was a good man. So he told me that he never had his son in his locker room. I told Skip, that's a mistake.
Speaker 2: Skip.
Speaker 3: If I if I don't give my kid the opportunity to smell this dirt and this is what he wants to do, then what am I doing. I ain't giving him an opportunity to be successful. So he kind of gave me a pathway to and my other teammates now to start bringing our kids around. Let them see the dirt. You gotta smell that dirt.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: That dirt is a motherfucker. That dirt can get you somewhere.
Speaker 2: Young.
Speaker 3: Stand what I'm saying. So I always tell myself that, you know, that was a turning point where Sparky kind of calmed down a little because he was a hard liner man sparky' even had his rules, and his rules was his rules. So I think we were able to kind of soften it up where we can also start to wear jeans in the damn lobby of the of the hotels and not have to listen. Man, if you wanted to go down and get a paper, you had to put your shoit on.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: So I skipped the Brave Row like that for a long time.
Speaker 3: It's a little rough skill. Let's let's change up a little bit. Let's just have a little fun with it. And he did.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to Cali. I didn't know this until I was doing my research, but it makes sense now. I'll get the chance to talk to you. South Central La show you're right, la, Eric Davis, Darryl Strawberry, Eddie Murray, some guys around that area where you did you know them?
Speaker 2: You're on different side of town.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, I lived on seventy seventy six and Dinker, which is right off Manchester. If you go down Manchester, you should get the seventy Sister's a little there used to be a little cleaners right there on the corner and make it right. That was right in it Piru area.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So when my mom and dad got you know, my dad was an army man. So when they got the opportunity to buy a house and used my dad's g I they moved out to Saint Gabor Valley, which was Lapointe, West Covina. Now I got the Vathos. You know, the Vathos are there, So again I was in the mix. But Eric lived on eighty fifth and Figure Roy and my cousins lived on eighty third and Figure Row. So we was in there. I mean, we was running and he knew my cousins of course because they went to Fremont, So you know, we we we've been running together for a long time. I mean Ed is one of my best friends. I talked to him quite a bit and he played with me in Detroit for a while. So I mean I always say, man, that might have been the that might have been the O G move that my dad made of getting me out of South Central, you know, getting me somewhere where I could shine a little bit. Because you know, I don't know if you know this and what you probably did your research and do know that basketball was my first love.
Speaker 1: I heard you a little bit about that game.
Speaker 3: Come on, Matt, don't get me started on that. Folks don't know. Look at yourself up stand, Matt. Let me tell you, my boy. And this goes back to aau back and you know when we were young, like twelve and thirteen, like Nigel McGill, Ralph Jackson, all them boys that went to UCLA, they was, I was running with them in the summer, right. So when I got to high school, I went to No Gallas High School. So when I got to high school, I played four years of varsity basketball and I played football, and then baseball was like eh. So my dad rested in peace too. Old man asked me to go out and play baseball one day.
Speaker 2: So I did.
Speaker 3: But in basketball, I was signing every valley player of the year in nineteen eighty one and they asked me what positions, But I said I played point guard. He said nah, yeah, I said, yeah, I did I play point guard. They said you could You're done. I said, I'll give it to you any way you want it. Oh man, I could play. That was my game, man. And baseball was like I was. I didn't think I could play baseball because I was. I was green, and I just out worked everybody. I mean, you know, when you when you're an athlete and you don't give yourself the opportunity to be successful, that's on you, you know what I mean. I had to work man, because I wasn't that good. You know, my coach John Romono, he's still here talk I talked to him. He's almost eighty years old, and he always says that, you know, you chasing that ball in the dark when you had one light over the backstop, no lights in the field, and you chasing that ball and I'm throwing you vp in the dark. Hey, ain't nobody else out there but me and him, right And I tell people all the time that right there kind of helped me get myself together. Because when you're chasing the ball coming out of the dark end to the light and you're hitting it, you're doing something.
Speaker 4: What do you think skills you learn from basketball or football? That translated, because right now baseball is it's turned into much more of a country club type sport, a specialized sports where you're seeing kids only played one sport. But when you talk to the old school guys, everybody played everything.
Speaker 3: It makes you more athletic. Yeah, you can do more things, man. I mean it helped my footwork, you know, playing first base. I mean I came up with you know, Cito Gassing was a great hitting instructure. He really taught me my little lean right, and it helped me get myself but balance, I mean everything. I didn't have to use my upper body strength because I used my legs. I mean, I mean I didn't need no extra help. If you understand what I'm saying, no help, because this is one hundred percent me ain't no help. So I was able to be athletic. I was able to, you know, figure it out. I was able to trust my You got to be able to trust yourself.
Speaker 2: When you're a hitter.
Speaker 3: You can't be scared. You gotta trust it. If you're gonna sit on the breaking ball, goddamn it, sit on it. Don't change up in the middle of that bat, you know, until you get two strikes and you got to open up. But you know in pictures, I had them boys on fright night. They was matter of fact. When I used to come to town, I used to send cars to pick up mother for go get him and bring him over here.
Speaker 2: Go get it.
Speaker 3: Hey, we didn't care. We went out to play, and you know, we was all friends off the field, but when you got on the field, I felt that, you know, me and Puck rest in peace again, Puck man. I mean, we enjoyed. We enjoyed each other. I love the fact when he come to Detroit, when I went to Minnesota, he came and got me. I came and got him. I mean, and you know, but we got on that damn field.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: You know, he punched me in the face and I probably hit him in the face too, because that's just the way we went got down. And you know, back in the day, man, I don't know if you know this, but back in the day when we played, you couldn't come around the bad and cage and be talking to everybody because the manager would find you. You couldn't talk to the other team. That's our seriousness. And I'm gonna tell you all this story, and this is what I first got to the big leagues. July July of eighty five. I get to the big leagues and we having issues with Boston in Toronto. Bruce Keason that hit George Bell in Toronto, and the next batter, Ernie Ernie Wit hit a Grand Slam. So the following week we had to go to Boston. So we go to Boston and Nippers pitching. So Nippers throwing that bell. He missed him four times. So now George Beller is walking down the first base and he chirping at the dugout. The whole damn dugout charges him right. The ship ends up in center field and back then, man, I mean, it wasn't no, no, you better boy. At the corner of my eye, man, I see this brother running onto the field and he jumps in the pile. And man, when that damn power was done, it was Don Baylor at the bottom. I said, oh Lord, have mercy. I said, I ain't ready yet. That was a grown ass man, grown ass man, Rest in peace, Dom Bator. I love you to death, grown ass man. That's when I knew that I had to grow up and be ready, because these boys were serious.
Speaker 2: These were men. I'm playing against men.
Speaker 3: I'm nineteen, I'm playing against grown ass men and the dug out smoking cigarette and they smoke. I mean, I didn't you know what I'm saying, No drinking, no cussing, no fussing, no smoking. And I get to the ballpark. Man, they in you know sweet Lucy. These boys drunk sweet Lucy. And every once in a while, you know, it was cold, they'd be in the club, I said, kicking a little shot of sweet Lucy.
Speaker 2: You know, sweet Lucy is right now. I don't know who.
Speaker 3: Back sweet Lucy. Oh, cutty shark, go find a bottle, cause that's the nasty ship I've ever seen. They go back there and take him because shot and come back up and get ready. It was men's game. It was men's game when I came up. It was different. It was different.
Speaker 1: You actually enrolled in UNLV, but before you decided to take baseball serious.
Speaker 3: You know, I really didn't want to do that, but I did. My mother was always talking about education, education, education. And I got drafted by the Baltimore Orioles and it was late and uh.
Speaker 2: They had Eddie Murray and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, that ain't gonna work out because he's gonna be there for a while. And uh so I ended up going to U n l V. I really didn't men doubt. Moore never got Freddy, which I try to be nice to everybody, but Freddie and I never really got along. I was a young kid running around in the city. That was just too much.
Speaker 2: It's a lot going on.
Speaker 3: There, too much for it was too much. I mean back then they were on the street. I mean they just was lined up with the first coats on everything. It was crazy back when I was going to school. What so anyway, I got drafted in the forefront. I went back and went to Mount Sack Junior College. I didn't play, but the basketball coach had me playing basketball because he was like, says, come on, and I was like, so I was running with the basketball team.
Speaker 1: Remember that story. But compare your game to somebody your who game.
Speaker 3: My whole game. You remember Tyron Knolls, he played at UCLA then he went to UTEP. If you check out Tyron Knolls, big, big guard, strong. But I can give it to you, I can. Oh, you better ask somebody.
Speaker 2: Let him know. I'm telling you, oh my god, that they had film back then. We're gonna find it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Listen, Okay, check this out. I gotta tell you this right, I'm gonna tell you where where where I was, where I was. So we we we in the semi final game in Sports Arena against Monrovia Sports Arena. Yeah, so we we play against a guy named Sean Holiday. Matter of fact, Sean All they probably got a couple of boys to play in the NBA. Sean Holiday was uh was high school?
Speaker 2: All American? Yeah? And Holiday three sons in the NBA.
Speaker 3: There you go, okay, Holiday was the man, right. I dropped thirty one on his ass. I dropped thirty one on his ass. I dropped thirty one on that ass in the sports arena back in the day. That's where we played c IF. So you know I can play man, but I just wasn't gonna get the opportunity. I got Pepperdine. You see Santa Barbara and all the cats. And then check this out. My off guard, I called him Pistol Pete. But Pete Williams played at Arizona and was the Pac ten rebound champ. Now Pete Williams played, did he play a little bit in the NBA, But then he went over to Turkey and play. But Pete, Pistol, Pete man my off So my starting five me Pistol Pete, who played Jeff Randol Rest in peace. He went to he went to Minnie Campbell to Kansasity Chief talked out and Mary went to Milwaukee and Big Randy Downs played at Colorado Basketball. So again my starting five, we all were successful. We did good.
Speaker 2: Did Tark recruiture? You have any Tark stories? Now?
Speaker 3: My Mount Sack? My Mount Sack coach who was there at Mount Sack told Tark when I went to U NFV, you need to let him go out there. Now Tark Sun was playing point guard, Danny. It wasn't going out but Tar. He told Tark get him out there. But then the baseball coach wouldn't let me go because he wasn't gonna let me play two sports. But I would have loved to go on the court with that team.
Speaker 2: Oh you gotta do.
Speaker 3: All you gotta do is throw the ball up in there.
Speaker 2: They gonna catch it, get it.
Speaker 3: You know. Johnson was there that Yeah, Big RJ was there. We had a team at U and W at that time, Sid Green, we had a team. What it's all said, and that I think you made the right call, No, no doubt I did, man. But I love basketball, and that was it. That was during the showtime. Yeah, Magic was doing it. That's my boy, that's Michigan boy. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure this had to cross your mind at some point because we're gonna move forward to you get drafted. And this is a story that resonates with a lot of players because everybody assumes you get drafted. I'm gonna be the guy right out the gate. Everything gonna be happy, go lucky. Moving forward, you go to the Blue Jays, Blue Jays, classic story, veteran place with Willie Upshaw's there. You got fred McGriff there. You even with having some success, I think you had fourteen homes, one hundred and seventy five at bats one season, always was the platoon guy, never got the full opportunity. How was your relationship with Upshaw and with McGriff understanding.
Speaker 3: That you Freddy's always gonna be my dog at the time, it was good, always good. We played together in the minor leagues the whole way. So I'm gonna take it back.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I was drafted by Kansas City and I hit twenty home runs and rookie ball in sixty I guess sixty game up in Butte, Montana. So I got traded for a major league outfielder named Bill Roberts, not my Bill, but it wasn't Leon Roberts who was the outfitter with Kansas City at the time with Toronto at the time, so we slipped flip flopped, and that's when I got an opportunity to start playing. So I won the MVP in A ball. I won the MVP in high A ball. I went to double a hit eighteen and eighty one at the All Star break and went to the big league. So I was young. I was a young fucking the big leagues. I was like, got that and you know, listen here, I got my first check. I gotta tell you this, boy, Oh that first check got damn forty four hundred dollars bread. I was ma man from being in the minor leagues where you make it eight hundred dollars, can't pay your rent because you had to have three or four guys.
Speaker 2: That crazy.
Speaker 3: So I got to Toronto. Williamshaw was the best. I love Willi Upshaw to this day. My roomie Fred McGriff I mean we together today because we're doing you know the other thing over there on the other side of the stadium, and that's my roomy. When he got inducted into the Hall of Fame, I was there. I had to be there.
Speaker 2: That's my room. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And still to this day, we still I mean like we're still playing. That's my brother.
Speaker 4: What was that clubhouse?
Speaker 2: You got?
Speaker 3: George Bell, you got he was a little different. He was a little different. George was a little different. He just talked a lot of ship all the time. Me and him almost got into it one day. Yeah, I ain't playing with him. I told him, you look at here, man, I ain't the one.
Speaker 2: I ain't the one.
Speaker 4: But we play in the same room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we kind of. It's calmed down.
Speaker 3: We were very cordial now, me and George. But you know, I had Lloyd Moseby, Jesse Barfield, I mean I had I had David Steve, I had Jim Clancy, I had Jimmy keyth Earnie with We had a great team in eighty five. That was the first team out outside the United States to win the American League championship. So we had a great team, great team and uh twenty Fernande's rest in peace again. We got we got a lot of that going on right now.
Speaker 4: And you're in a great city in Toronto.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I me something. Let me say something. When you when you're a young Feller Oh my god, a minute, man, stop it, stop it. Oh my god. I don't know how my wife kept married to me all that years. She was she had to be special, I mean, princess Mama. Oh I was terrible. Yeah, I was talking.
Speaker 4: About the environment in Toronto.
Speaker 3: I was terrible. Man, I'm sorry, I was terrible.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: It had to be somewhat of a culture shock, just just to move. You've been all around the place because you go through the minor leagues and you've seen places, but Toronto just stands out.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well, man, I you know, I'm from the West Coast, and some of them times they put us in I couldn't believe they put us in them. Florence, South Carolina, Kinston, North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like the arm pits of every state, you know, And that's basically the truth, because every every one of those stadiums are always in the hood, always in the hood. Knoxville, Tennessee hood, I mean hood. You ever been to Greenwood in Florida?
Speaker 2: Tampa? Okay? You know what the same path?
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all take about you gotta be careful.
Speaker 3: You better know somebody, to get to know somebody quickly. Yeah, because it's the hood. I every ballparker. Man they called me, they talked about my mama. I mean, man, these folks, I mean one night we was in uh we was in North Carolina. This one was in one city and these folks, I mean, they talked about me so bad, and they talked about my mama, and I want, I want the old man. And you know, it was almost like I felt like Jackie Robinson, if I go up there, I'm gonna get in trouble. It ain't even gonna be them. They gonna blame it on me. Right, My white teammates went up in there. That's a good feeling, now, That's what I'm talking about. That's why I knew I had real teammates, because they defended me. Because these oh men, I mean, it was so bad. It's almost as bad as going to the Boston and then them Sam Down doesn't want to have a drink with you after they and talk so bad about you. I ain't have no drink with your ass.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Boston was rough.
Speaker 1: So we touched on the decision in eighty nine to go to Japan. What is something you learned about yourself and your game in Japan that prepared you to come back and do what you did.
Speaker 3: I just think, man, I took what Sedo gave me while I was in Toronto, and I really, I really got a chance to learn myself, whether you know, I was gonna sit on an off speed pitch, whether I was gonna sit on the fastball, to trust, you know, trust the process, because when you're not playing all the time, you don't have time. You gotta when you're coming up to pinch hit or are you getting to play once a week, it's hard, so you you ain't. I ain't got time to be working on nothing. I gotta make something happen. I gotta try to hit this scoundrel up in the seats.
Speaker 2: I gotta.
Speaker 3: I gotta make something happen because I ain't getting that many chances. So when I went to Japan, man, you know, I started off slow. I was, they were, they were, they were laughing and talking trash and spring training in Japan, right, And then I went seven for seven and a double headed. I was seven for so I was killing them. And the big they brought this big Japanese boy, and I can remember like it yesterday. They brought a big Japanese boy and he hit me, and I told that motherfucker, you ever do that again, I'm gonna kick your ass and everybody else on your team. And I never got hit again. The whole rest of the year, I never got hit.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: So what I'm saying is this had to be before they because now they apologize that they hit you.
Speaker 3: No, they were apologizing then, but they wouldn't hit me no more. He apart, he took his head all bounding shit. I didn't go for that. I said, you hit me again? No, no, because I you know y'all was getting me out. I didn't throw my bat at you. Y'all wearing my ass out when.
Speaker 2: I first got here.
Speaker 3: What happened y'all in the dug out, laughing and carrying on. Now I'm starting to bang. Now you're gonna hit me. Okay, you do that ship one more time, one more again, as my daddy would say, do that ship one more again. I'm gonna tear this whole damn place up. And I never got hit again.
Speaker 2: So I ended up hitting thirty eight home runs that season.
Speaker 3: There was in three hundred at bats.
Speaker 2: Wow, what was what was the fan fare?
Speaker 3: Like? How did oh Man cessit? The when who got you my son? That's my name, Cecil. Okay, but we're gonna Yeah. It was fans with that, he goes. Fans were great, man, fans were great. I mean, you know, you have your own, your own beat. So they played the drums all game.
Speaker 2: And they're jumping around the entire game, right and they.
Speaker 3: Playing my little song I'm the Brown Bear. I mean it was just it was good. It was Oh my god, I mean Field, I had a great time, man, I mean you know, people go, Mann, man, look at it. I had a great time. Money and I make good money for a young kid. Yeah, I made good money.
Speaker 4: And when you saw the players over there, did you did did you know the guys that would be able to make the transition of going from Japan to the States was there before came over? And now you have clearly.
Speaker 3: Time fat face normal in Japan.
Speaker 4: At the time. You know he gonna be able to Oh.
Speaker 3: He gonna play.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: I told folks from the beginning, the Japanese are the most dedicated folks to their fundamentals. They're gonna they gonna, they gonna hit, They're gonna bunt, they gonna catch it, They're gonna throw it.
Speaker 2: They're gonna play good defense.
Speaker 3: Now, when I was there, we didn't have a lot of Japanese players that had that juice, you know, to go out out of the ballpark. But they could hit, they can catch it, they can throw it, and they knew where to go with the baseball.
Speaker 2: To me, that's baseball. Now.
Speaker 3: Now you got these big boys, you know it's you is the first guy I said that could have been a picture and a hitter athlete, but we had uh Horror.
Speaker 2: Horror was a big one.
Speaker 3: Och I could leave. They were older though, right, But the young generation that's coming now, Man, these boys done got bigger, stronger, you know. I don't you know Frank. Frank is a different vibe. He thinks something was going on, and you think somebody's taking some kool aid. I don't know. I ain't into that, but all I know is them boys are coming, they playing, and they in it. Boy in Chicago, you got yes, you got Dodgers, all these boys bang, all these boys bank which and the pictures that are coming over are really getting down.
Speaker 2: So those just got.
Speaker 4: What the American guys would struggle with in Japan.
Speaker 3: The sinker him and and the guys that I was facing was I told them from the beginning when we went over there the first time on the All Star Tour where we had you know, we had all the best players here, go over there and play play against the Japanese players. Ship, they tow our ass up because we thought we was just gonna go in there and roll them. I said, Man, these motherfuckering play now.
Speaker 4: You know, And and you saw that for a couple back to back some years ago in the World Baseball Class. If you see that Japanese style of play, the Japanese team coming over here winning a couple times in the World Baseball Class, what are the fundamentals from Japanese style baseball that you think American baseball needs to adopt.
Speaker 3: Well, we lost it because we don't take in field no more. Number one, we don't. We don't we don't work, we don't work on our defensive game like they do. I mean shit, I'd be at the ball party at one o'clock and they be doing this ship they be running around damn field. I told them, man, look here, man, I can't do that shit. Now I'm gonna come and stretch with y'all. But man, they stretch like they do like they run halfway around the field, they stop in outfield, they stretch, they run, They do that shit for like forty five minutes to a hour. Man, I can't do that for I'm be done. I ain't gonna be able to play the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah what you was?
Speaker 3: So finally the bench coach who ran the team finally said, okay, so you go out and you just get yourself ready when you get done to go ahead and take it. But the Japanese home my teammates had to do that ship. I'm like, man, no one of these boys tired at the end of the season. They you know, the pictures threw every day. So if you if you started tonight, you're throwing them all and you're gonna throw every day to your next start. So that's why I used to beat on them. Later in the scene, I beat on them. They didn't have nothing. They didn't have nothing. So uh they Japanese players, I tell you, man, they dedicated. I'm just gonna put it that way.
Speaker 4: And it's it's something to be said about the culture I think of players, because like you said, you were ahead of the curb as far as going to Japan. But later down the years, I could think of Adam Jones, who was a great Major League Baseball player who went over and played in Japan and loved every part of it, Like I loved everything about every player that I know who went to Japan gained something from the culture that they didn't have before. What was the appreciation you gained for the culture that that you didn't happen?
Speaker 2: It was? It was.
Speaker 3: It was a period in my life that kind of changed everything for me, you know what I mean, just seeing that, you know, going from the underdog to the top dog. It was a good feeling. That was a good feeling.
Speaker 4: And then you and then you bring it back. You come back to the States, back in the major leagues, and everybody had to be looking at some point like, WHOA what happened? I hit hit off the muscle. I was ready when you came back. How many teams were interested?
Speaker 3: I had Boston, I had Detroit. There was three teams, Boston, Detroit, and I forget the third team, but Detroit.
Speaker 2: I seen it.
Speaker 3: Boston, I ain't the way I'm going to Boston, but Detroit it was. It was it was an automatic good fit. Number One, they lost a hundred games. Number two, Uh, they needed a first back right and number three they was gonna give me. I gave me two years, three million. I had to come back and go play.
Speaker 4: So they had to match similar to what you Yes, they had to.
Speaker 3: So you say, the best thing I had going for myself is I don't know how my agent did it. But all I had to do if I wanted to leave, because I was under contract for two years in Japan, all I had to do was give written notice that I wanted to leave. What that don't happen? And then you know the guy that signed me, he got put on in the window seat. You know when you get put in the window seat in Japan, it's a rap. So yeah, his ass sitting in the corner over there looking out the window. How the hell you let him get away like that? And you know Russell Sostrado was there. I mean we had some players, man, we had some Willie Up, Showy end Up coming over. I mean we had some players. There are big Lance Parrish, not Lance Larry Parrish who played with the Rangers.
Speaker 2: He was there.
Speaker 3: We had a good group of uh One Cromarty was there with Tokyo and after that, Lloyd Moty my teammate. After he left Detroit, he went to Tokyo.
Speaker 4: Take me through that season, because that's the year right right out the gate, come back from Japan, forty nine home runs going into the last game of the season, Like, what's going through your mind?
Speaker 2: And that?
Speaker 4: How much are you thinking about it? How much did what did fifty mean to you while you were going through it?
Speaker 3: Well, let me tell you when I got when I when I hit forty nine against Minnesota at home, my mama with her crazy, so my mama flew in. They didn't tell me my mama was coming, right. I hit one home run.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy.
Speaker 3: I hit one home run, one home run in front of my mama in my whole career or two. I hit one in the All Star Game in a ball hit a Grand Slam, And then she was going to go to Germany to see her friends, and she I didn't do it in Anaheim, I didn't. I was terrible in ana High. And then she came up to Oakland. I hit a home run in Oakland. Okay, So now I hit my forty ninth. I got three weeks left. I'm oh, oh, oh, I got hold on. Now I got this ship down I'm finished. I'm gonna make it happen, you know. So Sparky he held a ship from me too. Sparky tells me that to the game, your mom is coming, and he knew I I that was like, oh shit, mom is coming. You know, Mama needed to stay home because let me do this and get it.
Speaker 2: Over with, right.
Speaker 3: I went the whole home stand, probably got two hits. And so now we end up going to New York the last three games of the year. Man, first two games, nothing.
Speaker 4: And nobody hit fifty in the American League since Mantle and Mayson.
Speaker 2: You going to New York and you.
Speaker 3: Know, nobody hit fifty in baseball since Foster, you know, seventy seventh. So I'm like, everybody's on me. I mean every day I'm doing press. Every day, even at home, I'm doing press, and I'm like, hey, man, if it happens, I'm just like you motherfuck you do need to leave me alone. Let me try to make something happening. But every day I had to talk to the press, I had to talk to him. So finally, my boy Don Manly, he said, man, forget about all this, man, just go up there and just bang one. Let's get it over with. And I think that helped me more than anything because it relaxed me. Don't worry about he said, man, just a matter of fact. He came up to me the first time I walked, because I wasn't really getting a lot of good pictures. But anyway, I walked and I was at first base and he said, man, look here, man, just get up in there and just bust this, my fucking this, get it over with. So I said, doney, man, He said, now just relax, go up the next time, get your good picture and let it go. And the next time I was up, I hit it up in triple deck and that was fifty. And then I came up again and off your shoulders and I hit one of the way back in down back in the old stadium. I hit it all out in the bullpen somewhere, and I had fifty one. So I went one, thirty two and fifty one, and so I lost the MVP to Ricky. Rest in peace again, Ricky. I mean he had a great year twenty five sixty eight, but you know he had one hundred and some chainstone basin and then the next year I had forty four hundred and thirty three and lost to Ripkin. He had thirty four and one fourteen, but he was on the last place team. I was that one right there. I was really pissed because they told me the year before that I was. I wasn't on, you know, a contending team, and that's why Ricky won. And I got to accept that, right But then when Cal was on the last place team, I love Cal to death, but you had thirty four and one fourteen. Shit. I had forty four and one hundred and thirty three. Me and Willie Mays at that point, ninety five and two sixty five and back to back years, nobody but me and Willie Mays and I won three straight RBI titles.
Speaker 4: Right at the time. Nobody done that man.
Speaker 3: Like Ruth and I'm I'm second twice.
Speaker 4: So how did you handle the media and everything going back to back snubs?
Speaker 3: Michael art Well, I just said, you know what, it don't even matter no more. You know what mattered more to me, and I'm being real what mattered more to me was my peers knew that I came to work. My peers knew that every single day, no matter how I felt, you better watch out because if you ain't giving my boy something to hit up in front of me, I'm gonna get you.
Speaker 2: I might be.
Speaker 3: I might be the worst player on our team on certain days, and say were certain days I was, but I was always gonna be in the line of for tram Lou and Prime, and I was always gonna be in that lineup because they know I'm in there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: You might done got me out the whole shit, but only take one to bat for the shit to change. So that's why I pride to myself no matter how man. On one night I was, I was coming down the stairs Aby House and gross Point and I had a sodic nerve man right, And I came down the steps and fell because my leg was number I didn't feel it right. And I got Big Iren over there with that damn Rubbert Mallet and she worked that shit out. I played the next day. So what I'm saying is you gotta find a way. And that's what to me in the game right now, that is missing. Have them soldiers ready to go. I'm coming no matter what. The mo Vaughn's, the Cecil fielders, the Reggie Jackson, them boys is coming. They coming every day. They got that dog in them that Frank Thomas I'm playing. That's what we miss him.
Speaker 4: So when you think about your success to the biggest attribute to your success, what did you would you say it was some adjustment, something from Japan, or just the opportunity to play well.
Speaker 3: When I came back, it was already in the mix. I was gonna, I was gonna get down. I knew I was coming. I knew I was coming because I figured it all out that Japan. Time just gave me a chance to figure out who I was. What you gotta know who you are?
Speaker 2: Am I am? I?
Speaker 3: Am? I a three hundred hitter? Am I a home run hitter? Do I drive in run? What is my job? And I figured out my job was to drive people home, no matter if it's a base hit the right field, no matter the three run homer, no matter's a double I my my My job was to get them boys across the play to bring him home.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna tell you one.
Speaker 3: Story real quick that that old man Sparky told me. We're in Detroit and it's late in the game and ninth inning, and I had got two strikes on myself, but we had a man on second base, So I spread out, I can hit the ball to the right and if they did that, I got to hit every day. But anyway, I can hit the ball to the right side anytime I wanted to. So I spread out, hit the ball to the right side. Man moves over the third fans are clapping. We got a chance to win.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Skip is in the dugout with his hat off, rubbing that old white hair, and I'm like, what wrong with this old lass? So we end up not scoring. I get up. I get up, dude. I get up to the well. End up winning the game. But he waiting for me. Soon as I come in the clubuse he waiting? He called me in the office. He say, where was that? I said, Skip, I mean I had two strikes. We had a man on second. I was trying to get him over to somebody. Just hit a groundball, flyball, gett him in. He looked at me, I don't ever want to see you do that again. I said what he said, I'm gonna tell you why. I don't want you to do it again. I don't trust these other motherfuckers to drive him in. He said, from here on out, you get three swings, and I don't care what happens, but you take every swing. It was a rap at that point. I can go play now.
Speaker 1: So your time and Detroit comes to an end. Then at the end of July in ninety six. But before we talk about the Yankees. What what stands out.
Speaker 2: The most about your run with the Tigers?
Speaker 3: Just the people I played with. Man, I just had so many great friends. Tony Phillips again, rest in peace. I was like, he was like my road dog.
Speaker 1: He was so underrated though he could play any positions.
Speaker 3: And that scoundrel, oh, man, he cuts me out. We're in New York. Man, Like I said, I had one hundred and thirty ribies. I was already done for the season the last couple of game, and he needed one more run scored to have one hundred and thirty run score. And I done drove this scoundrel in all year. I ain't never left his ass out there. So I'm facing Scott Sanderson, he throwing me these lobs, the breaking balls, and I'm just up there, just I'm just having fun. I ain't even paying attention. This little scoundrel cussed me out in front of all them damn people at third base. God damn it. Dad, let's go, and all of a sudden, I look over there. This motherfucker's cussed me out at third base.
Speaker 5: So I drive him up again, and then he come to me and bring me my glove and everything. He said that a boy dad, that little scoundrel so Detroit was just I mean, listen, man, I played with Lou Whitaker. Who should be in the Hall of Fame, Tram Kirk Gibson, Lance Parrish, I mean, Jack Morris.
Speaker 3: Who who I would I would want Game seven in the World Series for me. That'd be my picture. Dan Petrie. I mean you can go on and on all the guys that I've played with, and those friendships you never lose. You know, I could see any of those guys, Mick, Rob Deer, I mean I could see any of those guys at any point, and we're gonna act like we was together yesterday. You understand what I'm saying that, and that is it is really like all my teams I played on, you know, you know, and you know I was fortunate. I played for great managers. Bobby Cox in Toronto, right, Sparky Anderson Detroit, Joe Torre in New York. I mean, come home, man, you can't get no better than that. And most of those managers back in my period always took to the veterans to handle things. You understand what I'm saying. So even when I got to Detroit, which I was only there that half a season, you know, skip like, hey man, what's that in? What's going on in the clubhouse? You need to handle it. I'm like, skip me. Strawberry Rains, Paul O'Neill, Bernie Williams, Dereck Jador was a rookie, Charlie Hay, Tino Martinez, Mariano Duncan right out the gate, David Kloon, Jimmy Key, Andy Petty, Mariano Rivera.
Speaker 2: We played six innings. That was it.
Speaker 3: If we play today, we win today. We played six innings, the game's over because here come Mariano, here come Wedland. Game over ninety five and three. If we were ahead in the six, that's what all I got to do is bang one. I I mean, I ain't gotta do much because here comes straw right after me.
Speaker 2: It was crazy.
Speaker 3: So you had the kid Jeter was leading off fast as something gun I seen at that point. He could get down that first base line and he I don't know how he got three hundred hits. I mean that he can get inside of anything bad. I mean that, I mean he can get hit right here and he I mean.
Speaker 2: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: But he had three thousand change. That was a bad boy. Then we had either mariannod Duncan hit in second who could flat out rake? And then you run into a chainsaw because now you got Bernie Williams, you got either me or tin O. Then you got Strawberry, then you got Paul O'Neill. Then you got Wade Bogs wait Box hit second something. It was ridiculous. It was ridiculous. I mean, like I said, six innings, we need to win six.
Speaker 4: I mean, what's the shift for you? Because you're going from Detroit where you didn't you didn't go to the playoffs, and you going to a team that every face.
Speaker 3: It was a little nerve wracking at first because I'm like, god, dang man, I'm on a team that I ain't got I ain't got to shine every day. I don't have to. I mean, that team was just I mean it was incredible. Missus Seinburn And I tell people all the time, and this is crazy because Bob Watson who was our general manager.
Speaker 2: Rest in peace again. Here we go. Bob Watson's daddy.
Speaker 3: When I lived on seventy six and Dinkers lived right next door to me, Bob Watson gave me my first baseball glove. It was a catchersmith, the old one, the one that didn't close. You know, you got to catch two hands with. And my dad used that glove to catch me throwing bullpens a little league. Right twenty five thirty years later, Bob Watson is my GM in New York.
Speaker 2: And he came and got me.
Speaker 4: So that's fire.
Speaker 3: That's unbelievable. Now, I was sportswriters MVP of the World Series. I mean, come on, I was getting it in.
Speaker 4: Take us through that world So you got you're going against the braves. We got everybody know, Glavin Maddox, Smokest. What's the Scotar reports?
Speaker 3: That didn't bother none of them. The only guy that was gonna come in on me was Smokes. Everybody else is gonna try to hit that outside corner. I wouldn't. You had no chance to get that ball on the outside corner. I'm gonna stand right on the plate and we're gonna go to battle.
Speaker 2: If you hit me, I'm a fuck you up.
Speaker 3: That's listen, especially if you're doing it on purpose. I learned that from Don Baylor. Though, man Don.
Speaker 4: Baylor, what Don Bayels might hit and coach with the Angels, that's my boy. And I remember when I went to the Angels. I said, what's the what's the approach here? He says, stand on top of the plate and pull everything, pull everything right here down the left field line, trying to take it do? I say, Groove? I say, people trying to hit the ball all the way? He say, fuck that, don't worry about that. Hit the bottle left field. If he hit you, he hit you. If he hit you a couple of times.
Speaker 2: You go get him. That's right.
Speaker 4: That was that's philosophy.
Speaker 2: And he told me the same thing.
Speaker 3: Me and Groove used to talk all the time. Matter of fact, Groove and I used to talk when people didn't know we was talking. I just wanted to understand, why why do you stand so close to the plate.
Speaker 2: And he just told me.
Speaker 3: If they missed, I got him, because now I got the whole plate covered up. I'm on top of the dish. I got They can't They ain't got nowhere to go. Only where they can go is they can hit me. And if you do it too many times, then I know he did it on purpose, you know. But I don't know if y'all ever seen Winfield and Nolan Ryan. Nolan Ryan used to hit Winny all the time. And finally Winnie went to get him and they had like God's climbing on Winnie trying to hold You can't hold Winnie. Oh Winnie threw a hey man with us. Oh my god, Winnie was unbelievable. He was a real He used to come out man and bat practice one hundred pund dumbells, crazy one hundred pound dumb.
Speaker 2: Belts to walk around the bitches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he came out, he came out, He came out, and he came out the club out with two hundred pound dumb bells and was doing this ship. And they don't make him like they used to. Winfield was a beast, great.
Speaker 4: Athlete, the greatest, and that team at this time you got you got eleven years in the league, go from Detroit, you win the championship in New York? Like what if that? What did that ring mean for you? Personally?
Speaker 3: I don't know it just I mean, you just take it all the way back at that point, man, I mean, like damn. I mean, I was in the playoffs my first year in the big leagues and eighty five we played against We played against Kansas City, but that was the first year they moved it from best to five to best of seven, so we'd have won the series. We had three were three to one already and they came back and beat us three straight to go on to the World Series. And I said, my ship, I'm I'm in the big leagues, and fuck I made it to the playoffs my first year, so this is gonna happen a lot.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I did the same thing, and it.
Speaker 3: Took me, you know, then it took me eleven more years to get there, right, And it just take it all back, man, all the shit that you go through from you know, not getting the opportunity to play, playing in the minor leagues and you had to battle roy yourself to get the opportunity to play then because they had top picks and I was drafted in the fourth round of the secondary face they don't even have that damn draft no more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I was one of the last guys on the Tolen Pole then I go to Butte, Montana and get a chance. They throw me in there and I bumped twenty real quick, and now I'm somebody. And then now I get to a team that got so many great athletes like Toronto. We had so many great athletes. Our minor league system was second to none. We had a lot of brothers too. It was crazy, but anyway, we were doing it right. And then you look at the big league team at the time. You got Lloyd Motley, who was probably at that time were one of the best athletes in Major League Baseball. He could run, he was an athlete, He played hoops in high school, came out of high school top pick Jesse Barfield Bump forty, got a cannon two cannon. You got ball Bump forty in the same damn year. So I got great athletes that I'm playing with and competing against and trying to figure out where I fit in. And then here come me and my Homie McGriff At the same time. I got traded from the Royals to the Blue Jays. He got traded from the Yankees to the Blue Jays the same year. So we played together from eighty three on. We've been together for a long time, a long time, and it wasn't even a competition between me and him because we both knew at some point we're gonna be in the big leagues. I don't know where you're gonna be. I don't know where I'm gonna be, but we're gonna go out here every day and put something on. It was funny story. He was telling it yesterday or the show that they were trying to figure it out between me and him, what we're gonna do with these two jackasses? He said, are we gonna Are we gonna play one in the outfield and one at first base? So they tried that, so they started putting me in Freddy and spring training in the outfield.
Speaker 2: Shit. That didn't work.
Speaker 3: That didn't work. So then they said, okay, we go DH one and we're gonna play one at first. We're gonna keep flip flopping. This is my leagues. You're gonna play first one day. He gonna play DH one day. So we're gonna And that worked because now we are both getting to swing the bat, we are both getting the day off. You know, one hundred and forty game season in South Carolina. That shit is hot humans, So you know, it gave us a breather, and you know, we both got down.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I said, I.
Speaker 3: Was MVPN and A ball both years and the last year before I went to the big League. So we were getting down, me and Freddy, and then Freddy left me in Double A and he went to Triple A. And then I ended up going to the Big League from Double A and then Freddy came from Triple A. So I mean, hey, man, we never had a competition ever. It was like we both gonna get there. And I told him, either you're gonna get into the Hall of Fame. I'm gonna get in. But if we don't both go get in, if one of us get in, that means we both got in. And that's the way we look at that.
Speaker 1: We talked to a majority of our us about the decline of the black baseball player. You spoke to how many athletes were coming through the system and who you came up with. What is your point of view and your take on why we don't see that as much as how we grew up watching.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a couple of things, man, I think a couple of things coming to play as we as we look at that right now, I think the investment and in the communities of color is not like the investment in Latin America. You understand what I'm saying. They got They got damn every everybody. I mean, they going to school there, they're eating there, they're getting the nutrition there, they're lifting waists there, they're doing everything at them academies. Where they doing that at here? Nowhere they buio these little little spots they got in Compton and Houston and.
Speaker 2: Around the area.
Speaker 3: But their main what they're doing over there, they're not pouring in. No, they ain't giving the money and the cost ye travel, you gotta travel, Come on, man, that that that don't even make sense. When we were playing Lileague, I think my mama might have paid five dollars. And I'm gonna tell you a nothing. I'm gonna tell you this right now. Ain't no way my mama would have paid for me to play.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 3: My mama would have looked at me and said, boy, you better get your ass out of my kitchen. So you're gonna be hoping, I'm I'm trying to I'm trying to feed your ass. And yeah, I had to play something else. There's no way I could have played baseball on this level and the way I play AAU ball is because they kind of granted me in.
Speaker 2: You know, my mama wasn't paying.
Speaker 3: Now this ship right here, I mean when I was doing it, when I had my group I had from seven to eighteen. I had a lot of a lot of teams. But it was only twelve hundred dollars. That's all I charged my kids twelve hundreds and I had to pay for a lot of them because a lot at that time they couldn't pay.
Speaker 2: For it for it.
Speaker 3: So I mean, now they told me to figure how much they paying. Now it's like, oh my god, and shit, I might not even I got it. And mad I got one ten years old, looked just like Prince. It's humble. Oh my god, I got me one. It looks just like Prince. Left handed hit her banger right. He played his first year this year. I'm telling you he's gonna be something special. I don't know where he came from, but he in my house. Hey, I gotta tell y'all. Though you know I was talking to you about it. I went through a lot health wise. You know, I had triple bypass, had kidney transplant, and uh, I tell folks all the time, you know my wife, she's a she's a Hungarian woman from a third world country, and that girl saved my life. And uh, you know, I always tell folks, I got to give her praise because you know, without her, I wouldn't be here. She she fought me tooth and nail. When I was I was ready to give up, I said I'm done, and she fought me tooth and nail to give myself back together. And Uh, it was a long haul. I mean I went through the whole gamut of coughing with open heart surgery to uh dialysis for three years.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I was on Dallas for three year, Matt and never missed a treatment. And I treated like a game. I gotta be there at five am in the morning Monday, winds in Friday, three four hours on the machine. And that day that you take Dallas's on that Monday, Wednesday Friday, you spend. It's over. There's nothing you can do. You go home and go get in the bed. The next day you start feeling halfway decent, Damn, you gotta go right back. So I had to treat it like a game because I wouldn't have made it. I just feel that I would have gave up. I mean, you know, I'm an amputee, I'm a blood clotter. I've had surgeries on my legs for blood clouds.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Dion and I kind of went, you know, his last episode with the bladders. That haven't had that, thank God. But with the blood clots, I've been through that too, And it's serious, man. I mean, you wake up one morning and your footage cold. You know, you gotta run to the hospital and your doctor tell you you ain't going home.
Speaker 2: We got it.
Speaker 3: We got a break the clock and then we're gonna have surgery. And he going in there with this roto ruter and cleaning out my arteries. And you know there's been some time, man, I tell you, man, I swear to God. Man, you know I ain't I'm a big boy. I can take a lot of pain. But some of the ship that I had done, man make a grown man cry. And uh and that woman, man, I mean that Dashka Field. There ain't nothing but the truth. I'm gonna tell you that she knows she probably gonna cry. She she she very emotional about me, and she every every time I go out of town because I do usually don't go out of town. Man, I'm telling I'm a homebody at this point. You know, she told me she took a straight dog off the street and made him my house mouse.
Speaker 2: And she know that that's hard to do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: She she brought me on in, man, she told.
Speaker 2: Me, come on in, sign come on in.
Speaker 3: And she saved my life doing I tell her all the time. Man, you got the most appreciation with me than anybody, because I've had some beautiful women married to and they didn't they wasn't ready, they didn't they didn't treat me like you treat me. And that and that I think for me, that made the difference. It made the difference for me to wait to say, okay, mo, time for you to take your ass home. Because this woman is for real. She gonna make sure that you all right. And you know, we're the ones that is always given, We always given. And I finally got somebody that gave something to me, you know what I mean. And it was just she's a special woman. She's a special woman. Lucky to have something like that, especially with the all shit I went through that that was a rough time.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I was gonna quite. I told my kids. I told her, matter of fact. God damn, I told her, just just take care of my kids, That's all I asked. And she was like cussing me out. You ain't you better? Because I used to always tell her when we go through some shit, it's game time. I got and now I'm telling her that I would quit, and she said, you better get your ass ready, it's game time. And I had to shake it off and get myself prepared because you know, I mean seven eight leg surgeries, I mean losing you know, half my foot. I mean, it's just it's crazy. It's just it got to the point, man, I was like, it's too much.
Speaker 2: How much weight?
Speaker 3: Did you end up losing sixty pounds? I had to I said, if I'm gonna live, yeah, I gotta. I gotta get it together. I waited in the other day two fifteen. I went from two fifteen relation to seventy five.
Speaker 2: You look to seen.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh yeah, man, I had to get that shit off me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you look good?
Speaker 1: Have I had to steroid era fifty one stood as the number, and then in ninety six you just get Brady Anderson his fifty which was crazy and then Sousa Maguire's show comes about just sitting here watching these guys kind of do what they do, knowing how you went about it and did your work. What is the thought process you're going through.
Speaker 3: I really didn't care. But the thing they they're the ones that have to deal with themselves. I don't huh. I mean, you did what you did, You're gonna have to deal with yourself. And now you know they're taking on that responsibility because all of them, you know, have come to the realization that they know what they did. I can't I can't help them, and I can't hurt them because I wasn't in it right. So I did what I did, and I just tell him, hey, look at her man. You know you gotta take responsibility for what you did. It's not me or it's not anybody else that can take responsibility. But I think you know one thing, you know, I always say about Jose, which I played with Jose since rookie ball, and Jose always said what he did, he wouldn't hide nothing.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know when he came out with.
Speaker 3: His book and told told everybody what was going on, everybody was mad. But again, how you gonna get mad. You know what you was doing? True, you know what you're doing. So again, matter of fact, Mark McGuire went to school that Damien right down the street from me. I been knowing Mark his high school. So I seen Mark McGuire. You's skinny right when he got to Saint Louis like, goddamn, that's your gantor I mean, come on, man, I mean, what are we doing here, folks? And and and then we're gonna keep it real. And you know, Roger Merris is a man that put in work to get what he got to and then we just blow by Roger like he ain't did nothing. Those are the things that I don't know, man, Certain things in the game of baseball, Hank Aaron, Babe, Ruth, Lou Garritt. Those things are supposed to be enshrined in our game. They never supposed to be just demolished, and we're demolished.
Speaker 4: How much is that play into your why like your wife of not going that route, cause I mean, you had to be around it, you had to be exposed to it at some point.
Speaker 3: Well, the first time I got exposed to it when I seen them little scoundterls hitting that shit up there where I was hitting it. I'm like, God, damn, what they doing right? And that's when you know. I had one of my teammates and I ain't gonna mess his name came to me one time and he was crying. I took my damn glass. I said, man, what's wrong with you? Man? Grown ass?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: What's wrong with you? He said, Man, I went home this winter and I took steroids. Man, and it's messing with me. M you know, it's messing with my mentor's messing with me. I'm angry. I go home, I'm drinking like a fish. It just and that's when I knew baseball was in trouble because I knew a lot of guys and I talked to him about who he got involved with to do what he was doing. So I said, Okay, we got a problem here, and you can't me personally. I was at the point of my career where I'm doing what I do. I don't need that shit, so we're just gonna keep it moving, right. But when I see my teammate going through what he was going through, I was like, there's a problem. And he wanted to go in and talk to skip Sparky, and I kind of like, oh, wait a minute, let's think about this before you do that. Because Skip was the coolest man in the world. I had some teammates that were owned some stuff and Skip never told and I had to be the one to go tell Skip that they were sick and they couldn't make it to the game, knowing that there was some shit, right, And I did that because I love him, and Skip looked at me like I was fucking crazy because he knew, but that was me. I was that Yeah, I mean I had to number one. My man was already on two strikes, right, so I had to protect him because I didn't want so he didn't get to the ballpark for about a week, and I still had to stay with that same story.
Speaker 2: Skippy.
Speaker 3: He got the fluid, he throwing up from both ends. He's sick, he got fever. He don't want to come around the guys getting nobody sick, and he's still looking at me at you like I'm fucking crazy. But at the end of the day, I was able to get us through it and my other team man, I just didn't I didn't look at that time. It wasn't illegal or whatever. They were saying. I didn't know if it was legal or not, but it wasn't something that we banned out of the game, right, So I just told him, look, man, let's try to go to a therapist, get your head right, and it's just let's make it through this year. Once we make it through this year, you know, stop a ship and get yourself back together and here we go again. So you know, I man, I just think, man that you know who you're cheating, and you know if you ain't cheating, you gotta you gotta deal with yourself.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I didn't have to cheat. I just didn't have to. My son didn't have to cheat. You didn't have to, big ass, strong one, that's probably the strongest dude I seen in a long time. And I tell you, I still slapped the ship out of him. He mine, he mine forever. He ain't never, he ain't never gonna be too big. Me slapt shit out.
Speaker 4: Of How early did you know he was gonna be From the jump.
Speaker 3: That boy was walking around in Toronto with a diaper, swinging a little woofotball bat that he just like this scandal. I got at home right now, same thing. I told him, you're gonna brunk this one at home. He gonna bust his mama's windows. It's coming. He's swinging, fucking he got my bats. He ten years old, he got thirty four, thirty five.
Speaker 2: He in the house swinging.
Speaker 3: I tell you're gonna break your mama's sliding glass door and then she gonna whoop your ass and then I'm gonna have to patch you up. I'm just telling you.
Speaker 2: He don't.
Speaker 3: He don't. He don't believe that being greasy. I'm telling you this cat is crazy. He's a baseball junkie at at ten years old, same thing, Prince baseball junkie.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously we've heard the stories of you know, twelve year old twelve year old Prince hitting down the stadium and excuse me, out out of the park in batting practice. I coached my kids. I just said, I just came back from Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Coaching my kids.
Speaker 1: What kind of joy do you get seeing your son, first of all, early succeed and kind of just some stuff like that, but just the longevity and what he was able to accomplish during his career.
Speaker 3: The year that he really I mean that I really felt that he was a bad boy. His Mam Mistakes was pregnant with my daughter, Cessling, and he went on every road trip with me and he hit at every ballpark. What age is this, He's about eight nine years old, and so he went on every trip. I mean from West Coast. I was flying. I wasn't flying with the team because Sparky didn't have family on team playing. I didn't care. Me and him, Me and him everywhere everywhere, and he was just raking and man Larry Hern and hitting coach. He take Prince out. And then when Tito came and Buddy Bell's group came, shit, they really let him go. That's when he started going up everybody park went to, he went up top. It wasn't like he just in Detroit. Everywhere we went, he go up top. And at that point, man at twelve thirteen years old, man, I mean that shit ain't normal. And he always had a good eye. He could run for a big boy too. He had a couple inside the park home runs. So he was and like I said, Ricky, if you look at Ricky Williams and Princefielder, they look exactly alike.
Speaker 4: The legs thick the bottom and you say, y'all family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every day, all day, me and Ricky. Ricky was a little baby at my grandma house back in the day. He used to run around snotty nose, crying and carrying on. And all of a sudden, here he is played, you know, getting drafted baseball. Like damn, look at Ricky.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's my my, my, my daddy and his grandma brother sister.
Speaker 1: Only father and son duter both hit fifty home runs and both finished with three hundred and nineteen.
Speaker 3: Now, man, that's crazy. I don't know if thats gonna happen. Let's left or let's David Ortiz's son do something. He I hear he's a pretty good player, but I don't know. I don't the fifty. The fifty is gonna be the one. Now he gonna have to go something to catch his daddy in home runs. But you know, all these boys, even David Ortiz, I mean he was when he was when Minnesota he got released. You know, he got released and went to Boston and made made some of it. So you know, let me tell you that Mitchell Report kind of got everybody come jacked up. I remember one time, and this is just keeping it real. My boy Bagwell. I love me some Jeff Bagwell. But I had a kid, Kayleb's crab who was going to spring training with San Diego and he ended up making the team. So for him making the team because he worked out with me. So a friend and I flew out to San Diego to watch his opening day and there was this guy out on the outfield and he started running towards me and he came to say hello. I didn't even know who the hell it was at first, and then when he got close to me, it was back. He was so skinny, his uniform was bagging. What the hell. There's a lot of guys that were like that. Pudge same way in Detroit when he went to Detroit. Man, I didn't know who he was. I now, but the Mitchell Report put some folks on blasts, and I think everybody kind of changed up at that point and tried to get this self back in order.
Speaker 2: But everybody did.
Speaker 1: Your relationship with Prince and your family hads, it's up and down in your older years. What would be one message you would tell yourself that you didn't know at the time.
Speaker 3: I think right now, as I'm sitting there, listen, I tell folks, I was time they ask me about the relationship. I pray for my son every day. I love the kid to death, always gonna love it. But as he's understanding going through what he's going through now with one of his sons, you gotta break that curse. You gotta figure it out. You gotta be able to say, hey man, I'm sorry, come on, let's get together. Listen, Hey, you know I almost wasn't here. Then what you're gonna do if something happened, I mean, we ain't gonna have an opportunity to fix it. So I say all the time, I can't be concerned with what happened twenty five years ago. It's now. I'm happy. I love my life, I love where I'm at, and I want him to get there. He's not there, he's not happy. He's gonna get happy at some point. But my son and I, I tell it all the time, we had such a great relationship. It's a damn shame that we don't have that same relationship.
Speaker 2: It's a shame.
Speaker 3: And the reason why it's a shame is because I say, when I left home and me and his mother were going through what we were going through, she kind of gave him an opportunity to be the man of the house, in which I think was and kind of put him in the middle. You can't do that all the time. My attorney said, don't get your kids involved, don't get your kids invove, don't get you give me. Well, I was taking a beating and she was just laying it on him. You know, your daddy did this, your dad, And I think that kind of buckle thing to where he thought he had to take care of his mama, which I understand because I did the same thing with my father. At least I got a chance to tell my father, hey, man, you know that's grown folk business. I shouldn't have been in the middle of that, you know. And I just think my son, like I said, I love my son to death, man, but the respect game is just so important to me. I'm a respect guy, even when my daddy was acting crazy, even because my daddy was a rolling stone. Oh that man was a rolling stone. I met my brother when I was forty years old. He was a rolling stone. But again, that's my daddy and I had to give him the respect that he deserved because he brought me in this world right, and a lot of times. I think in black families, man, for some reason, when shit hits the fam between mama and daddy, we just can't keep our kids separate. And that happens in so many families. You look around now and how many fathers and sons got beef or ain't getting along or something.
Speaker 2: It happens all the time.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand it because right now I'm living my best life. I swore to God, I'm having so much damn fun just being at home, looking at my my I got seven grandkids. I can't be worried about little crazy shit. I'm trying to live. And I made myself live because I could have been up out of here. I made myself live and I had that backing to make me live. But man, I'm not nowhere sorrowy at nobody. If you sorrow at me, I'm sorry. But I'm living my best life.
Speaker 4: And it ain't nothing like the just the just the power of conversation where everybody, everybody got their own things that go on, but the power conversation, the power of you know, you got to squashing things and let it go, making something happen, let it go.
Speaker 3: What what what is the problem if you really think about it.
Speaker 2: What is it holding on?
Speaker 1: Because holding on to the past and the grudges is a heavy It's heavy. And I had assimilates just you briefly talking about you. I mean I met my brother forty two there you go, you know what I mean. And me and my dad didn't get along until my mom died. It was almost like my mom passing opened up the doors for me and my dad to have, you know, a fatherless some relationship at twenty seven, you know what I mean. So to me, it was never too late to kind of mend that bridge. But you know, we're praying that.
Speaker 3: I look at it, man, I love God. I mean, he's mine, he's mine.
Speaker 2: I did that.
Speaker 4: You ain't understanding, you know, Matt, just to be fair, like just to you know, because you know, it's always two sides there and like you know, and it takes to the tango and it's alute man street. So I just want to make sure we're.
Speaker 2: Ye know, we're being fair.
Speaker 3: No, every you know, it's all fair. It's all good man. Like I said, I love the kid to death. I mean what he was at my mother's agies birthday party. We was there kicking it together. So at the end of the day, he's got a lot going on in his life.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I kind of got my life together now, but he's going through it on his end.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta break the courage. Man. You got a beautiful young son that's a stud. Haven is a stud. And the communication level is not there. And I was like, man, we gotta get over this. Something gotta change. And it's the mom and daddy thing, you know. It's just I don't know what it is about the African American family, but they can't keep their kids separated from a grown folk business. Grown folk business need to be grown folk business. Kids don't need to be in that. And that's happened so many times, so many times because us as young men, we see our mother cry it's a rap. I'm going on my mama's well now that I'm a grown ass man ship watch y'all know.
Speaker 2: Okay, it takes two yeah, more power you and your son. Oh he can't, he can't. He can't fuck with you, man.
Speaker 3: He told me one time, mat Dad, you see the ball out hit in Colorado? That was a bos said man, I least stadiums, man, you hit a bomb.
Speaker 2: What's your furthest shot. I mean, was it in the game or in a batting practice.
Speaker 3: It was in Milwaukee. He was out of the stadium. I'm the only player ever to hit it out of Milwaukee County Stadium. Hit it in the parking lot.
Speaker 4: Not the one out of Tiger Stadium, parking lot off of Dave Stewart.
Speaker 3: Well, I hit that one good, but the one well, the one I hit off play second in Milwaukee. I smoked him.
Speaker 2: I hit it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was five they said five twenty, but I don't know how they hit it. I hit it in some man's truck. He took it home.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hit it in the parking lot.
Speaker 2: He broke my window, but I got the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got it.
Speaker 2: Quick hitters. First thing to come to mind. Let us know. Favorite ballpark to play in Detroit, worst ballpark to play in Oakland?
Speaker 4: All right, bench, Claren Brall, what teammates are you taking Withie?
Speaker 3: You had a lot of them, Rob Deer, three of them, Mickey Tellton and Tony Phillips, TP taking chie that little reason to fight anybody, I tell you TP real quick with Erickson was in Minnesota and he knocked TP down the night before. Yeah, so the next morning I come in the clubhouse. He said, Dad, I'm going to get him. I said, you want to get who said, I'm gonna get that motherfucker. He knocked me down. You know he's spitting all over the damn place. I'm gonna get that motherfucker. He's talking of that, I said, tom Man. So we taking bad practice. They come out for BP. He go in the middle of they circle and toe up with the dude. I'm like, we got a damn brawl.
Speaker 2: Going on from the game.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tony Phillips was unbelievable. He gonna he ain't scared nobody that mentality. Yeah, I ain't scared nobody. All right, let's go.
Speaker 2: Hardest thrower you ever faced.
Speaker 3: I probably say me facing one guy. Okay, I'm gonna give you a couple. I'm gonna give you Roger Clemens and Nola Ryan and I used to tell Sparky every day I was gonna get Roger Clems. I ain't got him yet, but let me tell you somebody yet.
Speaker 5: And I want to face him again because you saw he just threw it.
Speaker 4: That happen.
Speaker 3: Listen, I got him. He used to wear my ass out. But I tell him, I tell him Att all the time. Okay, I gonna wear me out, But the rest of your motherfucker's gonna pay for this ship. I tell them, Boston Red Sox, I.
Speaker 1: Mean the way you ran this most glaving and uh.
Speaker 3: I just you know I didn't. I didn't really give a ship. I gotta work. I love you to death, but I gotta work. And that was the only guy. Roger Clemens was the only guy that never gave in.
Speaker 2: Matt.
Speaker 3: I used to get I used to get these guys in such holes. They had to give me in. They had to come on with it. And he would never do it. If I was sitting too old, I'm looking for a fastball, he threw me a forkball. If I'm sitting three to one, he'd come slider. He never gave in, so he but but to think about him, Matt, he can throw everything for a strike, right, And then you face no to Ryan, this mother out there grunting throwing nine million, And then I tell you one more, got Jr. I was a spring training who Richard, Oh my god, Richard, this.
Speaker 4: Old school dude. The picture recipes and look and look ahead it and look at it and kissing me.
Speaker 3: Their mound was like the Dodgers mound and he already six eight. Oh my god, I was an eighteen year old kid in spring trainer and I ain't supposed to be facing Jr. And this big old suckerd looking down here doing this right here, and he thought me three, he wasted no time. Three boom boom boom, get your ass out of here. Yes, And I was so scared. I ain't never be scared. I mean, you know, I'm looking at these people that I'm facing on TV when I'm a kid, I'm I'm I'm just out of high school.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking at j R.
Speaker 3: Nolan because you know, no one was pitching Anaheim when I was a kid, and he was doing one hundred, and I'm like, damn, I'm facing these guys.
Speaker 4: Hey, blessing dream coming. I was blessing all those guys' smartest picture.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, Roger, I'm gonna have to get Roger. You know why I get Rochester respect. I'm gonna tell you why. When in ninety four we had a we were in Arizona and we we had a meeting with the owners, and uh, we had some we had some tussles, but Lennydister came there with his lawyer and uh read this letter in front of all the players with the owners there. He read the letter to the players that blah blah blah were losing money, and I he reached the letter, and I got to give Roger Clemens the most respect in the world because I couldn't stand him. Couldn't stand Roger. And the reason I couldn't stand him, I couldn't get a fucking hit good. But I saw good. But Roger grabbed a fucking letter from Lenary Dykson and said, now you tell me how you really feel. What Now, Now it's on because now the players went like this.
Speaker 2: We became a.
Speaker 3: Union at that point because we had a lot of guys chirping about the money, that this we're losing money while we on And then the owners trucked around and tried to use the scabs in spring training and it was a rap. We got what we wanted and that's why they making the money they making right now today.
Speaker 2: Nastiest single pitch you ever saw from who.
Speaker 3: I gotta go with the same guy that damn Roger Clemins, and I had nightmares about that. Damn park ball. I was having fucking nightmares.
Speaker 2: Sparks.
Speaker 3: You say I'm gonna get your day off there, I said, no, you, and I'm gonna get his ass today. It ain't happened yet. That's something just wore my ass out, he he and he.
Speaker 4: Used to say it all we gotta look up the numbers and you verse Roger.
Speaker 3: Oh, he wore my ass out. But he said it that I was scared of that motherfucker. But I never was scared of you. And he never give in. I ain't never gonna give in to him because I can't. I faced the guy. The same thing Bob Gibson told me. He said, I used to knock down Willie mats all the time every game because I wasn't gonna let Willie beat me. I was gonna face the next guy. Same thing with Rogers. He never gave in.
Speaker 4: I was over there to cut got the numbers two for fifty, two for fifty.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, was that old for fifty? Is that old?
Speaker 2: Five? No? No?
Speaker 3: Is that is that point five zero? That's bad?
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 3: I told you I was having nightmares off that motherfucker. Nightmare every time. I said that about two singles. Yeah, two singles, yeah, yeah, how many twenty?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I used to wear my ass out. He throw that motherfucker in my eyes. Man, I'm gonna hit that motherfucker. Ain't hit it yet. He used to wear my ass out. But I tell you what, the rest of his fucking teammates, they should be pissed off at him, because I will wear that ass out. I'm gonna take my beating from Roger Clinton. But the rest of you get Yeah, the rest of y'all gonna get it.
Speaker 2: That's funny ship. That's up.
Speaker 4: Best baseball city, food.
Speaker 3: Baseball city. I go to Toronto, Man, Toronto, you got this melting pot. You can get anything you want on and off the field. Watch out now, I've told you I changed baby baby dog off the field and made him a mouse, house house mouse.
Speaker 2: That's right, good job. One guest you would like to see on all the smoke dugout.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm gonna tell you what. That man Max is a motherfucker. I love that man. I watched that every time he's on. He's crazy as hell. Uh. But the guy I probably would want you have been the hurt. I think her would be a good one because yeah, he was one of them young young soldiers that came into the game. You know, after I was getting down and how big as he is? He said, six six seven about three hundred, No, he played, he played two sixty. He's a Monstrossory right now. He's monstrouss. And you know, as you get older, your body start to tell you that you might have needed to sit your ass down a couple of days because he doesne have back surgery and this and that. Man, and we all go through it. Man, every morning I wake up, I gotta shake this motherfucker off. I mean, it's just it ain't going away. Man. It just ship hurts every day. I mean your fingers, I mean nothing straight. I mean, you know, in best of y'all basketball, I mean y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, as we get older, man, we just gotta we just gotta we gotta make it, man, just gotta make it keep moving.
Speaker 2: For our babies. Yeah. Well see, man, we appreciate your time. Man. I had a great time. This is crazy.
Speaker 3: I got a chance to get some ship off my chest. Yeah, you know, I good about myself now I can go talk ship to Frank.
Speaker 2: There you go, man, that so Phiel, that's a wrap back. Thank you very much thanks guys,