Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah Hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long.
Speaker 1: Term career goals.
Speaker 2: We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura.
Speaker 2: This episode is airing in late March of twenty twenty five. If we sound a little different, it's because we are again in Sarah's closet here in Fort Lauderdale, together sharing a microphone with each other, with the happy noises of children playing in the back. Hopefully that continues to be happy. They seem reasonably happy, right, Sarah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's hope it's going to be controlled levels of chaos. I have recorded many episodes with my kids home, and I actually think this microphone's pretty good at not picking that stuff up. So as long as nothing catastrophic happens, it should be pretty decent.
Speaker 1: Pretty good.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they've got some good stuff going on out there. I got to see the three D printer, pretty exciting. But this episode is going to be a never.
Speaker 1: Have I ever? Episode?
Speaker 2: So perhaps you have played this as a game at a party. I don't know that I have ever played this as a game at a party, but I hear people do.
Speaker 1: Never have I ever played the never have I ever? Gave it a part? Have you? Sarah?
Speaker 2: We came up with questions from like teen vogue, so that may hint at what age demographic perhaps plays this game at party.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure we would be doing this with like.
Speaker 3: True, but I've seen it on some blogs and stuff, and I'm always fascinated, Like it's just a fun way to learn random stuff about people. And I think Laura and I picked some strategic questions in here.
Speaker 2: Yes that maybe either have done or not done, but might make interesting and won't embarrass anyone so crazily that we'll have to yank this episode before it airs.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so have you hear it, Pierre? If the episode just says like redacted and you hear static for like thirty seconds, which we thought better of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, we thought better of it.
Speaker 2: That we were thinking what stayed in the club, what was said in the closet stayed in the closet. Then we realized we were still recording. All right, so Sarah, this is your laptop. I don't want to pull up the notes with there we go, Okay, Sarah, never have I ever?
Speaker 1: Have you ever broken a bone? I have never broken a bone.
Speaker 3: I have broken my left thumb doing a backhand spring into a table in my home at around age fifteen, and it was very bad because I'm left handed and I had some violin performance coming up, and you really need that left thumb.
Speaker 1: To play the violin.
Speaker 2: So back up here, back handspring into a table? Like, what was sort of the thought process behind that? Do you think there was a thought process.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You're the one who did it.
Speaker 3: I mean I think it was I think there was a lack of thought process. That I had just learned to do a backhandspring, and so I was very excited to show it off, and for me, it was always easier to do like a round off backandspringuse you have that momentum, and I think I just misjudged, being so new at it, misjudged My house is not very big where I grew up and yeah, just went straight into a table.
Speaker 2: All right, depth perception, useful skill, Yeah, but fully recovered.
Speaker 1: That's good. Can't even tell it, can't even tell.
Speaker 2: No, two thumbs look pretty normal, all right. Blocked someone on social media? Have you ever blocked someone on social media? You're not even on social media anymore? So she blocked all of us. I guess I blocked everyone.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think i've like, I feel like, yeah, if it got to the point of blocking someone, I'm like, I'm quitting that platform.
Speaker 1: I'm done. So I don't think I've ever actually blocked anyone. Okay, have you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have, but like broad categories. Actually, it sort of wound up being especially, as I guess said, it's a wonderful thing that I have friends from all different political persuasions all over the map, but around elections it could get to be a bit much, and I just decided I didn't need it in my life.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, maybe you just don't want like random people giving you random advice something. Well, it was more friends arguing with each other via.
Speaker 3: My oh, and you're like, an I'll just I'm out.
Speaker 1: I'm out. I'm out. All right, Neither of you are involved in this anymore? All right? Next one stayed up all night? Isn't that like part of residency? Yes, I have stayed up all night.
Speaker 3: I hate staying up all night, and in fact, now I would consider it such an incredible punishment. But there were definitely many call not all I mean, sometimes you get to sleep, like even a little bit, but there were definitely multiple call nights where there was just not even a minute, and.
Speaker 1: They none of them were fun. But I'm trying to think of my regular life. Did I ever stay up all night?
Speaker 3: I feel like I think I did once at like the end of Governor school, because everyone just everyone did, and you like waited to see the sunrise and then we went to sleep.
Speaker 1: That was more pleasant. Yeah, what about you?
Speaker 2: Well, I remember doing so at like a middle school lock in at church or so we stayed up all night and then I like crashed immediately upon coming home.
Speaker 1: But in college my.
Speaker 2: Senior year, I actually worked the overnight shift some nights at the student center because they needed to staff at twenty four hours during finals because people were up late studying and all that, and so it was a pretty good job as these things go. If I didn't have any finals during the day. I mean could theoretically just sit there and like write papers or surf the early version of the internet or you know.
Speaker 1: I like, you didn't have to do much.
Speaker 2: I think I made rounds every hour or two to check that nothing ontoured had happened in the student center.
Speaker 1: But that's about it.
Speaker 3: I feel like college students are the best that staying up all night because like hormonally, they're kind of like prime to do that, and.
Speaker 1: It's just like part of the culture.
Speaker 3: Like we had at least one twenty four hour coffee shop at Williams.
Speaker 1: So I guess they like wanted you to stay up all night. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean if people are studying, I guess it's better there there than somewhere else.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, yeah, all right, Sarah wardrobe malfunction. Never have Vata ever had a wardrobe malfunction? Yeah, yeah, yes, yes, Okay.
Speaker 3: So, by the way, we tried to not make these boring, Like if we were going to just do never however and us both be like, nope, moving on, this episode wouldn't be fun. So we did try to select things were at least one of us would be able to say yes, And I was debating, like, do I want to talk about.
Speaker 1: My wardrobe malfunction? But I think enough time has passed that you're okay, we've processed it.
Speaker 3: So approximately twenty years ago, I attended a wedding in like Deana, I think it was in Indiana or something like that, and I wore this black dress and it had straps, So I don't really understand what happened. At the time, the song Hey y'ah by Outcast was very popular.
Speaker 1: And the dancing was just pretty spirited.
Speaker 3: Spirit is the right word, and everything everything came down for I don't know how long. I mean, it wasn't like a long time, but it was like long enough, but like and it was everything like I don't know. I think I had a strap, was brawn, but maybe like just what ever. It was a famous moment and my kids even know about it today. And if we ever heard that song, you're like.
Speaker 1: Mom, is that strapless dress? It had straps?
Speaker 3: I think it just fell off. I don't know whatever. That was a moment that was definitely a wardrobe malfunction. It's the only one I can remember having.
Speaker 2: But it was significant, So I guess this is a childhood one. But I once dressed up as Pippy Long Stocking for book character Day, but it turned out not to be book character Day.
Speaker 1: It's so sad.
Speaker 3: So I was just in costume, Oh my god, and wow all day you had to go all day?
Speaker 1: I was dressed up as Pippy Long style. What grade were you in? I don't write early elementary. Squawked it out. Yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if that's one hundred percent my fault. Maybe it probably was. Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket?
Speaker 1: Sarah? Yes, yes, okay, I do tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't that exciting. Like there was a little side street and I was I've told people like, I'm not. I don't consider myself like a naturally excellent driver. I think I'm way better now than I used to be. But there was this little tiny side street. No one was ever on it. I think speed limit was like twenty five, and I got in a lot of trouble for going like forty one, which was bad.
Speaker 1: I mean I shouldn't have been going forty one. I will own that.
Speaker 3: But I was young and dumb and I paid my ticket and I don't have any more tickets since then. So that was like also twenty years ago was rough, you guys, Like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know between the wardrobe malfunction and that it was because I was staying up all night all the time. That's the problem. That's the problem. Sleep.
Speaker 2: Sleep deprivation makes you do very silly things. I have not gotten a speeding ticket. But funny story of when I was in a car that was pulled over. Actually Michael's father was driving Michael and me from our wedding reception like to the hotel, and he had forgotten to turn on the headlights. And this rental it was like a fancy rental car or whatever, and he had just not I don't know, something had gone wrong with turning on the lights. And so we were pulled over because of course we're going around with no lights. And then the cop was like, well, congratulations you guys and all that.
Speaker 1: He just told him turn on the lights. Oh well that's good. Yeah, it wasn't actually a ticket. No, it wasn't a ticket. Near miss. Well you know, funny situation. Well it should we take a quick break because the next one's really juicy. Okay, we will all right.
Speaker 3: All right, we are back and Laura, I have to ask you, have you ever gone streaking?
Speaker 2: Well, I will neither confirm nor deny that. When I was in college there was an event called the Nude Olympics, which was very much a function of its time, like before smartphones like that could not exist now at all. But smartphones didn't exist then, and I'd like to believe that there are no pictures.
Speaker 1: So maybe it happened, and maybe maybe it didn't. I know, Sarah, have you.
Speaker 3: No, I've never gone streaking, But now that you mentioned the smartphone thing, I'm so glad, like there was no phones at that wedding.
Speaker 2: Yes, that would have I mean, you know, you would hope that they were your friends and family and they would have deleted it.
Speaker 1: But you know, could have gone viral. Could have gone.
Speaker 2: Viral at that point, and one one would not lift that down for a while. So, Sarah, have you ever fallen asleep at work?
Speaker 3: Yes, but kind of like on purpose, so like if I am really really tired, like if I was on call and I was called at night and whatever, I have done it two ways, So like at lunchtime, I would either close the door and put my head down on the desk or on a rare occasion, I have this really soft thing and I put it on the floor and then like lie that down on the floor, la on.
Speaker 1: Top of it.
Speaker 3: I haven't done that in like a really long time because honestly, it's not very RESTful. My office is really small, Like I can't even lie all the way down, so mostly head on the door.
Speaker 2: So you're like curled up in a yell like fetal position on the floor.
Speaker 1: Is that yeah? Okay?
Speaker 3: And I think I even put a sign on my door like resting, please wait until twelve forty five to come in or something if you need anything. So I guess yes, it's not like accidental. And then also when you're on call and you're in the hospital, then you're supposed to fall.
Speaker 1: Sleep at work like you're allowed to, so makes sense. That too makes sense well.
Speaker 2: Given that I work at home. I've fallen asleep at work numerous times. I mean not ever in my office, I don't think, because it's like it's usually a conscious choice, right, Like I go up to my bed and lie down. If I am really crashing and have an hour between things, I will go up there and take a little little rest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're going to just validate that, like we don't even think this should be a Never Have HOE ever? Because why not if you can do that, like, why shouldn't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I hear that. Well, some of those like cool hip.
Speaker 2: Tech companies had like napping pods and rooms for a while, right, I thought that was the thing. I feel like if there was a napping pot at my hospital, it would like always be occupied.
Speaker 1: There's somebody in there napping all the time. I don't know.
Speaker 2: The one problem, I'm not a very good napper because of the contact lens thing. Right, it doesn't bother It doesn't bother me, and they don't, okay, because if I fall asleep with my contact lenses and when I wake up again, it's like my eyes are in this weird state like of very too dry contact lenses.
Speaker 1: Guess I'm lucky. I don't know. Maybe it men are like so well, yours are thick too. I don't know. Yeah, I can nap with them my eyes.
Speaker 2: Maybe your eyes just create more more tears. The things we learn, that's what you're learning by listening to this Never Have I Ever episode that I have dry eyes and Sarah does not. We'll try to make the next one better than that. All right, I missed a flight. Well you have through connections.
Speaker 3: I like, oh, yes, I recently missed a fla. Actually that was my first stranded experience, which honestly might change my travel planning going forward, Like I never was afraid of like an hour layover, and now I'm like, I don't really want to do that again because it is so miserable to get stuck somewhere, especially when it's late, and well, I can imagine being really bad at the beginning of your trip and really bad at the end of your trip, like it's the last thing you want. So I did miss that recently coming back from Bozeman in December. But then also I had a very near miss where we actually had to like beg the agent at the plane because it hadn't taken off, but we were past the theoretical window, and I mean we didn't do anything crazy.
Speaker 1: We were just like please please.
Speaker 3: Was the first time we've left our kids, and like they're with my in laws and this is our only chance to get away, and we were actually going to Canada and they were so nice and they let us on the plane.
Speaker 1: So ah, yeah, that's sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotten stranded at O'Hare so many times that I like have a procedure down for.
Speaker 1: I have that hotel in there, Well I don't go to that.
Speaker 2: I have tould just get in the I mean there's like vans that go to the or take a cab to there's a whole row of hotels like within ten minutes. And especially if American is putting you on a ridiculous flight, that's like leaving two days later, or just buy a ticket through like Frontier, Spirit or what are the other budget airlines, Like that's pretty quick and just leave as soon as you can the next morning. Yep, that was our strategy as well. It was United or something. But yeah, yeah, I hate missing flights. I The thing is, so I am married to someone who likes to get to the airport, who feels like if you don't get to the airport close to when, like it's it's boring, Like you're wasting your life. And did you say like you should miss some fractions, which would be yeah, I mean if like, if you don't miss flights, you're not wrong. You're not cutting it close enough and you're wasting time that you could have I guess been doing other things with your life. But I am the kind of person who would like to get to the airport.
Speaker 1: A lot earlier than that.
Speaker 2: I feel like, if I'm running through the airport, something has gone horribly wrong in my life.
Speaker 1: So we have these two warring impulses.
Speaker 3: I also just don't find like being in the airport that like, if it was terrible in there, maybe I would understand that a little bit more. But it's like you sit down, you grab your snacks, you relax, like it's not the worst time ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The thing is, I feel it's often not the airport itself that's the problem, because I mean, especially now with like TSA pre check and all this stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's not an issue with the airports itself.
Speaker 2: Often if you're at the airport, like any amount of time before the gate is boarding, you'll probably make it. But it's often the traffic getting there that's the unpredictable part, and that's the thing that I think it's harder to sort out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, anyway, try not to miss flights, all right, Sarah, Have you ever regifted something?
Speaker 1: Never have I ever regifted something? I guess they we're supposed to say it.
Speaker 3: Like, never have I ever regifted something without saying it was a regift. I can't recall ever, like just passing off a gift as like but I might have said, like, someone gave this to me and I'm giving it to you, so like an honest regift, yes, but a sneaky regift.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I don't think I've done a sneaky Well, I mean I've definitely realized. So I have two children whose birthdays are shortly after Chris Us and we have sometimes realized that they have a lot of stuff that they're about to get for Christmas. And you know, we try to keep things relatively even between children, and when they're little or kids like, sometimes this stuff kind of stacks up. So we have in fact moved gifts that were purchased for Christmas to regift them as birthday presents shortly thereafter.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. You don't think that's proudly due.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's fine. I mean that's just more like I don't think that counts as regifted.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we use gift bags again all the time, we repurpose again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think that counts either. Regifting is like someone's like, here's this beautiful scented candle and then you turn around and you're like, here's this beautiful scented candle that I.
Speaker 2: Got to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's not it. I was sad though.
Speaker 2: All our gift bags from Alex's birthday party somehow disappeared. I think I must have had them out and they looked like trash, and they disappeared as trash.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe they were played with or enjoyed in some of their some other other fashion. Maybe. Oh well, Sarah, have you ever gotten stitches?
Speaker 3: Yes, at least twice, once mature leading injury where I got a gash over my eyebrow. There's still like a mild scar and I got stitched up in some small town like Pocono hospital, And it's so funny because it looks fine and like I you know, sometimes when a kid gets into it, parents are like, oh my god, we have to get like plastics or whatever, and it's like, well, I don't think anyone fancy did my thing, but it turned off fine. And the other time was in Miami Beach when I ran into a tree and then I fell backwards and then like the back of my head open And actually that one might have been staples staples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well what one was? Definitely stitches.
Speaker 2: So what is the reasoning for doing staples versus stitches?
Speaker 1: Because our kids have gotten both.
Speaker 3: I think staples are not going to leave a pretty scar. But like on your scalp, who cares on your head?
Speaker 1: You probably care? But are they better? Do they hold it together? They both hold it together. They're easier to put in. There is almost to be very skilled to put in stables. First year med student.
Speaker 3: Can assist putting in the staples, I mean probably probably okay, but probably not the stitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I have not gotten stitches, and most of my kids have gotten stitches for some boasts. Well wow, none of my kids. Oh my gosh, gotta knock on some knock.
Speaker 2: I know, while I was a broken bone, we're like knocking on wood all around here. I definitely do not want to break a bone at this point in my life.
Speaker 3: I know that would be you never know, though, Josh broke his to be a skiing so well, you don't do that, so all right?
Speaker 1: Moving on? Yes, moving on scuba diving. I have never scuba dived. I don't want to. How about you?
Speaker 2: So this is one of these things in a long marriage that occasionally becomes something that is told with them. So I got scuba diving certified. I got my scuba my patty license when my husband and I were dating, because he really enjoys scuba diving, and so I was like, oh, you could do that together, and I'll do this. And I went and did the checkout dive on a trip we took to Belize, and I hated it, like I really really hated it. It was like cold water. I don't like only being able to breathe through my mouth. I just everything about it.
Speaker 1: I don't like being cold. I don't like being on boats.
Speaker 2: So in many ways, this was just non ideal pobby for me to be pursuing. But whatever, you know, we were going to do it together. And so I got my license and we went on our honeymoon once.
Speaker 1: And I have never gone scuba diving since.
Speaker 3: Laura was just like false advertising, like I'm your scuba dream boat here.
Speaker 2: Never mind, never mind, we'll bait and switch on that one.
Speaker 1: No, but I gave it a try. I gave it a try.
Speaker 2: I gave it a try, and it was not for me. And he has been allowed to go scuba dive. It is relatively frequently. Does it on any sort of beachy tropical vacation.
Speaker 1: We do it now.
Speaker 2: I have produced two little scuba divers who go with him. So Sam got his license a few years ago, and we'll be getting his advanced certification pretty soon. And Alex just went through his the classroom portion and the pool portion, and we'll be getting his license shortly. So amazing they will all dive together. I think it all worked out.
Speaker 3: Like it's not like he's been like your husband hasn't been like deprived of his scuba experiences, which is the important part.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, I took ski lessons too, and then I realized I don't like going fast down mountains, So there's many things here that I just in retrospect. You can try to be a different person, but ultimately we are who we are.
Speaker 1: Good to try it out, although I like skiing.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then we'll be back with the conclusion of our never have I ever.
Speaker 1: Well, we are back.
Speaker 2: We were playing a game of never have I ever, and we were discussing recently with this one never have I ever in the sense of our children getting blistering sunburns.
Speaker 1: But it turns out that Sarah.
Speaker 2: And I may not have been quite so diligent about sunscreen in our early days, right, Sarah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I regret all of my blistering sunburns. But yeah, it came up on like I never have I ever list. So I was filling out an intake form for one of my kids to go to the dermatologists, and it was like, have they ever had a blistering sunburn? And I asked them and they're like no. I'm like, wow, things have changed now. Part of it is probably just that my kids have different skins that I have, Like it tans a lot more easily because my husband's skin tans a lot more easily. But then I thought back to all the times that I was like peeling everywhere.
Speaker 1: And like how bad that probably was. But what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Just get a lot of skin checks and take off moles that don't look great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think sunscreen's gotten better though, too.
Speaker 2: Right. I spray it on kids now, which was not like doable when we were little, I think, and you know.
Speaker 1: It just yeah, but we also had like SPF eight. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It wasn't as much of a thing. Yeah, I've got several blistering sunburns. I remember going to a camp where we did sailing, and I believe I was out on the water like all day with minimal sun coverage. I mean I may have put on some on my face in the morning, but of course that's not going to do much for you by four pm. So yeah, pretty bad regret. Regret, And then you get botox for wrinkles, right.
Speaker 3: You know, ant skit, But you know what my botox actually makes me. I would not go, Let's be honest, would I be good about getting skin checks if my botox dermatologist wasn't encouraging me to get my skin checks. I actually get my skin checks, So it's actually good for me to get Well.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go, the positive of it. Yeah, all right, Sarah. Never have I ever had a root canal? I have? You haven't? Nope? Sorry? How was that it was?
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 2: This is the thing people talk about the root canal as being like a terrible painful experience.
Speaker 1: It's not like what's painful is.
Speaker 2: What came before it that necessitates the root canal. Right, Like for the actual root canal itself, You're like, have a mouthful of novacane, and you know, I mean, obviously it's uncomfortable to have your mouth open for that long, but usually the root canal will solve whatever the pain issue is.
Speaker 1: So in fact, I think a root canal gets a bad rep that way. I mean that kind of makes sense. Plus don't they like num you yeah? Yeah, So I mean you have the novacaine in.
Speaker 2: And but when I had the root canal, this is that tooth had all sorts of problems and so it had a deep cavey in it, and I had to get this root canal, and I went in and learned that I apparently had very long and twisty like roots in my teeth, Like you know, if any part of me is going to be long and slender, like, why does it have to be my roots of my teeth? But so that makes it harder, It makes it harder. So they had to do it in two different parts, so I had to go in twice to get it done, and then sadly enough, the whole tooth like broke apart, and so then I had to have a crown put in on that tooth.
Speaker 1: But that was a couple years ago. I've had no other tooth issues sense. I guess that was the only one that was a problem. Yeah, I'm sorry. I hope that was your only root canal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope it will be too, I mean olthough again, it's not the root canal that's the issue. It's the pain, searing pain when you have like a deep thing in your in your tooth.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Sarah watched a Star Wars marathon. Now this was on a list somewhere.
Speaker 3: No, I've watched like one part of one Star Wars and was like not my scene.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I was like slightly too young, too, like born in nineteen eighty. I think I just kind of missed Star Wars the first time, and then when people were kind of bringing it back, I wasn't that into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I definitely saw four or five and six and saw one, and then like bits and pieces of two and three, and then I sort of, yeah, I lost interest. But the idea of seeing it as a marathon. When I was at a summer camp, like an academic camp in middle school, we were gonna watch this as a marathon the last night. That was something they offered as an activity, like you could watch the Star Wars marathon and then it would have been episodes four or five and six, and like two years in a row, some kid, probably not the same kid, pulled the fire alarm and so everyone had to be evacuated, and then of course the counselors are like, yeah, no, everyone go to the room. There's no more activities like after that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So so sad didn't make it through all three in a row, two years in a row, and you haven't like made the effort I had, No, you know.
Speaker 2: It's not something that's really come up ever since that I felt as a way I needed to spend you know, six seven hours of my time or now there's nine of them, right, so yeah, yeah, no, it would be it would take a lot of time to watch.
Speaker 1: All of it.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, now we haven't ever have ever that. I'm like, it's like one of my least favorite things. So have you ever sent an email to the wrong person or sent to a group when you meant individual?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I have, and I kept doing it unfortunately, Like I had two people who I knew fairly well who had the same first name, and I was complaining about something involving one of them professionally that I was meaning to send to the friend with the same name, and I more than once sent it to the person.
Speaker 1: I'd work out it seems okay.
Speaker 2: You know, people still were talking to me after words, but it was a little bit embarrassed.
Speaker 1: The other person's name is Sarah. No, just try not complain.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was complaining to this friend of mine handquods about someone I know professionally.
Speaker 1: That's really funny, you know. That's bazz.
Speaker 3: I had a terrible like I used to have to send so many emails so rapidly when I was a program director, like I could the only way to I didn't have like tons of time to keep up with it. So I do these massive clean out sessions every Friday, and it would just like I would look back in my inbox, I'm like, wow, I sent one hundred and sixty emails. I mean, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it was something like that. And in one of those frenzies, I did reply all and I said something negative about somebody, not somebody personally, but like a kind of a group, and oh my god, they.
Speaker 1: Got it and it was so bad.
Speaker 3: I think they have now forgot This was probably five years ago, and I think they've all forgiven me or have forgotten about it. But in the moment, it was so mortifying, and I mean part of it was like, well, now they know my true feelings about like I was sort of complaining about a group not doing the work I wanted them to do.
Speaker 2: So maybe because now they know that you wanted them to do the work right.
Speaker 3: A tiny bit of like, But no, I was really regretful because also, you know, there's gonna be some venting in your emails and it's not ever the way you want to provide feedback. So all I can say is it's happened to me, and we all recovered.
Speaker 1: And I hope to never do it again. And I'm pretty paranoid.
Speaker 3: Yeah you checked, now, Yeah, Gmail does have undecend Do you ever send? And you're like, I'm not sure, Just onto it right away and then you can always resend it, because better to do that than yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and if you're ever well, first, probably best not to send hot emails. You know, say things live if there are things that you really want to say that might be misinterpreted or could come out the wrong way. But if you are sending an email, it. Sometimes it helps to fill in the address last because then you can have one more chance to think about it before it could go out into the world.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 3: An always have to assume anything you said and could go to anyone anyway, even when you're not.
Speaker 1: Replying all so oh, because people forward stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the thing, like, you know, take a picture with their phone and they text it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're reading down to the bottom of this long thread and it turns out that people were complaining about someone who's later like c Seed because it's now about a meeting that they're going to be in and yes, yeah, so yeah, all sorts of things can go wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've done anything close to that since. So maybe I learned a good valuable lesson.
Speaker 1: Valuable lesson. That's good. Well, on another note, have you ever danced on a table?
Speaker 2: I have? I have, so I believe it was was it that the bar's name was like Coyote Ugly that was in the movie, right, and that was the whole thing that they were dancing on the tep So I went to that bar while I was in New York at one point and figured I should dance on the table. Because like other people did too. I mean, it wasn't just me dancing on the table, that is awesome.
Speaker 1: I do not think I've danced on a table.
Speaker 3: I feel like now like sort of remembering this bar in Miami that like almost had like platforms that.
Speaker 1: Were sort of meant to dance. I don't know if I danced or not.
Speaker 3: We'll just leave that one in the If I was doing it, my memories are probably not very clear, so I can't say for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, next one, Laura, have you ever beaten a video game?
Speaker 2: I have Sarah, which one of the proudest moments of my life. I believe it was the Super Mario Brothers one that came with like the original one of those consoles, those early consoles. Yeah, I had like eight levels, I remember this, and there were like Where's workplaces you could go through with the mushrooms and the tunnels and you got the Princess. I got the Princess. So I had tried again and again to beat this, and you almost always as you were going up to Bowser at the end, would get hit. But one time when I was coming up to Bowser, I was a big Mario, right, so I had an extra Life. So I just went through and got knocked down the little Mario, but I won.
Speaker 1: So that was it. That must have been such a moment. It was such a moment. I never did it. I had a game, Genie. Do you remember game Genie?
Speaker 3: This is gonna be like the most sliver of demographic, but if you had one, you're gonna be like, yes, the game. It was like this little thing you like stuck onto the cartridge that like let you cheat. And I don't know, I mean no, I mean it was like a product that you could buy. I don't think it was a Nintendo product, but it was like and you could like be invincible.
Speaker 1: So I like beat it. I beat it with this It would like pack the game for you. So I beat it with the game Genie.
Speaker 3: And I will say I did get like past level twenty on Doctor Mario, but you never could do it. I don't think there's an end, or maybe if there is, I didn't get to it. So I've never really beaten a game. So congratulations, thank you, amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I want this like on my teambstone. Yeah, should be on your CV, the first first line.
Speaker 2: Whatever else I've done, published books, no, no, no, I've beat Super Mario.
Speaker 1: All right, Sarah, have you ever screamed during a scary movie? Well?
Speaker 3: This one was funny because I was like, oh, I screamed today today during a movie. We're watching White Lotus, and like there was a scene that was very surprising and I just screamed.
Speaker 1: We won't do any spoilers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no spoilers, But if you don't like screaming, maybe don't watch it seriously, how about you. I just don't really watch movies. So that takes care of that one. But the next one people might say, never have I ever worked retail.
Speaker 1: I've worked retail. You've worked retail? Oh yeah, I like it. I mean it's fine. It wasn't even a bad job.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well now you have. I mean, these days, we don't have to make change as much. I think that was more of a thing, like people use credit cards less in retail places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't remember whether there was a lot of Yeah we had a cash register and stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. I think I sweat people's card.
Speaker 3: It was a video store, so I think a lot of people would buy like a bunch of like credits, so they weren't even always spending money.
Speaker 2: They were like, I forget, how does that work? Because you were a member you had to be a member there or something. How does that even work?
Speaker 1: I forget.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would they give their card, yeah, card, they'd purchase like a certain number of credits on the card, and then we'd be like, okay, now you're down to eighteen credits. So they were only like spending money every once in a while. Mostly they were just using credits, okay, unless they were buying a new card.
Speaker 1: Yes, nineteen ninety eight. Ah, the memories, it was great. It was great.
Speaker 2: But I particularly remember the Osco drug experience. Osco drug store in the mall. It was something, Yeah, that experience. Now, it's get to see a slice of life. What people are doing. They are they are they're buying stuff jampoo at the mall. I was there to help them with it.
Speaker 3: They were running all kinds of videos, all kinds of videos.
Speaker 1: All right, never have you ever visited a nude beach? So this is funny.
Speaker 2: This was a sort of early memory in my life because it was unintentional. So we lived in California for about four months when I was eight nine years old something like that, and we were there for a semester. My dad was teaching at a university there, and my mom took us kids to the beach and we were like, oh, go to this beach and we walk out and then there's like naked people standing out there on the beach. I was on a California's like nude beach and we're like, okay, we're turning around. Yes, we'll go to a different pech, go to a different beach. Yeah, memorable, memorable. Now you know these things for memories in life.
Speaker 1: I have never been to a nude beach. That's really funny.
Speaker 2: I know you better bear sunscreen if you do go to one. That'll be our public service.
Speaker 1: I guess you don't have any like tamline issues. That's true. That's true, so that could be helpful. All right, sir. Have you ever had a black eye?
Speaker 3: Yes, but I don't have any good, like dramatic stories about it. I just remember I think I also had truerleading. Actually, I will say I think I had one story where I had a black eye, like maybe shortly after the stitches thing, and then I had like a teacher ask if like everything was okay at home, and I'm like no, I'm in a violent sport, leave me.
Speaker 1: Alone, because it was.
Speaker 2: It was, and cheerleading turns out to be violently all the stunting. The stunting, Yeah, they were flipping over and doing your your flip in your house and hitting the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds so glad.
Speaker 2: I kind of gave that up after one year before doing any flips.
Speaker 1: So mine was a botox injury.
Speaker 2: But the injection, I think it must have just gotten a little bit of a spot or something, and so I had a bruise where I had the injection, and so yeah, it was fortunately it mostly looked like eyeliner like where it was.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you were like about to give a talk or something.
Speaker 2: I remember I was giving a talk and I just put heavy eyeliner on the other side.
Speaker 1: All right, you made it match smoky Eye.
Speaker 3: We did actually hear from somebody because we talked about botox on a prior episode and like someone did remind me like rarely there are bad side effects to botox. Like anything you do, there's always a possibility it won't go right or it will cause problems.
Speaker 1: So everything's a risk. You have to just decide what you feel is worth it.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, Well, this has been our rousing game of never have I ever I feel like we probably played it wrong. We're supposed to say something different, but whatever, Now you know a bunch of random facts, random facts about Sarah and me.
Speaker 1: We have a question, don't we do we?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do. I've wrut on by the way we're in this closet together.
Speaker 3: Yes, we do tend to go for more Q and A type episodes or just chatty episodes and we're together. It just feels more natural. We will be back with some more interview and topical types of episodes next week. But we had a fun question and it was just because it's getting springier and not so dark in the evening hours, and someone was asking, what would be a low stakes neighborhood event if I, like, really don't feel intimidated by the idea of hosting, but just want to do something, what would you recommend for like a first go round?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think the idea of like an open house kind of concept is pretty low stakes. So you could just like email the neighborhood list if you have one, or you can go put invitations in people's mailboxes or on their porches, but say, you know, we'll be hanging out on the porch Saturday night, the weather's nice. We'll have dessert and drinks out there. Please stop buy when you can and just have cookies, maybe have a cooler with ice cream bars in it or something. Have drinks for adults and children if there are a lot of kids, have stuff for kids, like sidewalk chalk or bubbles, and you know, just see who comes by, and even if it's only a few people, it'll probably still be a reasonably good time. And it's low steaks, so it's not like you put in some huge catering order and then didn't have anyone come, so it'll it'll be fine.
Speaker 3: I've done that with wine and cheese as well. And I really like the idea of it being like drop in versus like hour to hour, because then people don't feel pressured to stay, but they probably will anyway, and then they can kind of like come in and out. But you might want to if you want to put like an and drop by any time between blank and blank, and then you also have an end time built in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that might be a low stakes way to do it, but I definitely encourage people to try hosting because it can be a lot of fun to bring people together, and it's not like some people.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe there are some.
Speaker 2: People who are completely and totally natural hosts, but I think for a lot of people, it's just something you become more comfortable with the more you do it. And then you're like, oh, yeah, that's where our extra chairs are, and that's where our cooler is, and that's how we get enough ice to have drinks be cold. And you figure those things out, so yeah, all good.
Speaker 1: Yes. Love of the Week, Sarah.
Speaker 3: My love of the week is the brand AYR, which stands for all year Round, which I learned about from my friend Lonnie, who is a stylistic real lifestyle I learned all.
Speaker 1: Of my fashion stuff from her.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I've been wearing one pair of jeans from them for like for forever, and then I was like, you know what, I need more than one pair of jeans in my wardrobe, so I ordered two others and I love them all. Like they're not the cheapest, but if I'm wearing the same thing day and day out, which is what I tend to do, then I feel like that is a category where I like to splurgeon. And I actually have not ever gotten anything. I've got a couple of tops from them too. I have yet to be disappointed. So AYR not a sponsor, not a sponsor to like it? They could be it could be awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I'm going to say I like parties in general.
Speaker 2: Like I think it's always fun when people do host things, and I've tried to do a few of my myself, and I hope to do more. But I think a lot of times people feel like it's too much work, and it can be a lot of work if you try to make a little work, but nobody has to be Martha Stewart, and you know you can still have a really good time.
Speaker 1: So I'll say parties in general, I like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true, Like when have you ever gone to a party and been like that wasn't a good party?
Speaker 2: Never terrible fun. You see people, it's generally pretty good. All right, Well, this has been best of both worlds we've been playing. Never have I ever. We will be back next week with.
Speaker 1: More on making work and life fit together. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram.
Speaker 1: And you can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. This has been the best of both worlds podcasts.
Speaker 2: Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.