Speaker 1: That was the most ons. That was the most in sync clap that we have had, and not the boy band, but just actually in time like clapping moment that we've had ever I think we did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great, except you know, you said in sync and I I twitched. I just got back from My New Kids on the Block Weekend.
Speaker 1: No, I'm more of an enc you know, I'm an n sync more of an n SYNC girl, you know I am.
Speaker 2: That's it. The podcast is over.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry in sync?
Speaker 2: Really yes, no, no, I see it's because you're five years younger than.
Speaker 1: I had a crush on Justin from when I when when I did Mickey Mouse Club. Oh yes, okay, and like they were just a little that was that was more my generation. That's yours again, like five six years that it was. We were the Backstreet Boys in zinc and I definitely fell on the in zync side of things, although I don't think I ever bought one of their No, I bought one album.
Speaker 2: So anyway, okay, well I'm going to make you listen to my my, my little recap of my New Kids on the Block Weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh my, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I just came back. I can't to three concerts in a row. What it was? Yes, it was like my birthday weekend. It was great, like this was just a spectacular, happy plated birthday.
Speaker 1: Abe, I know, I thank you and I just love you.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, thank you. Thanks. I had a great had a great birthday, had a great Fourth of July.
Speaker 1: And that Lestes, I texted you, you better be drinking Margerita. Do drink.
Speaker 2: I don't think I did drink. And Mark, you know it was so hot. I did not.
Speaker 1: It was so hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And because I knew I was going to the desert weekend where it's a and eighteen. Yeah, no, I'm like, I better just hydrate instead of drinking Margarita's so but yeah, but it was a great weekend. My friend's Katie and A two Andrea, we call her A two. I'm abe she's ah.
Speaker 1: Got it, got it. I was like, oh, is she uh uh like R two D two related? I know, just A two, A two and R two yep.
Speaker 2: And so they flew in front because they live out of state. So they flew in and we hit La. They were at the Forum on Friday night and then we drove. We did a road trip in the Hyundai, which was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: We drove to Palm Desert and saw the concert out there, which was indoors, thank.
Speaker 1: God, Oh my god, and got heat stroke but it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was indooration. It was indoors. Thanks.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Madonna because she doesn't turn the AC on. Oh what, yeah, because of her, because it hurts her voice apparently, and it does a lot of singers like their, like their, like Arena's warmer, because the AC does not do things for you that wouldn't be me.
Speaker 2: I'd be like crank, I'd like crank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're of an age that no AC is not an option.
Speaker 2: Well, she's an age too, or I think I.
Speaker 1: Think that that, you know what I mean, she's pasted the change.
Speaker 2: And so we went from Palm Desert to Chula Vista. Like I legit drove like four hundred miles.
Speaker 1: Aw, you drove all over southern California.
Speaker 2: Which is south of San Diego. For those of you who don't know, it's like you can see Tijuana from Chula Vista. And the Chula Vista concert was outside at an amphitheater, which I'm a little nervous about. But it was beautiful, like it's San Diego, Like it's just they've got the breeze.
Speaker 1: Little. I was gonna say, you're a little closer to the ocean. Yes, you're not a palm palm desert, which is not anywhere near the ocean and is actually close to Satan's butthole. As far as I understand, as far as the accurate of the earth, yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Very aggy hot, but no, San Diego is beautiful that it was such a good show. So Jeff Franklin Jeff Frankly went to the to the show in La with Emily, his fiance. Oh, so I found them and I said hi and gave him big hugs. It took for wonder two minutes because it was crazy and crowded.
Speaker 1: I was so sad I didn't get to go to his house on the fourth Oh you didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to go easy.
Speaker 1: No, I was gonna go, but like family stuff just kind of went crazy. So I was like a wet work.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people, I think most of the cast couldn't go because of other plans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I felt bad. I was like, oh, yeah, he'll have another pot you had an amazing birthday weekend that I can't imagine anything more ab than uh, a road trip that is completely centered around New Kids concert, the whole, the all, and was it three? Was it? Three shows in three days?
Speaker 2: Three shows in three days?
Speaker 1: Which also kudos to them, you know what I mean, Hats off to those guys. That is to grind. Yeah, anybody who's touring, anybody who has ever toured, people like, oh my god, it's no, it is a grind. You are exhausted. You don't get like you are doing show after show after show. It's it's like akin to Broadway almost where you're like, there's no off. They've won a week one.
Speaker 2: Every now and then. But no, these I mean these guys are all in their fifties. They are performing every night. They're doing I don't know fifty stops on this tour around the US, and they're in like jackets and leather pants, performing outside like they were in Phoenix a couple nights ago. Outside.
Speaker 1: Kids on the block are gonna get eat you. No, new kids are gonna be old kids are gonna be passed out on the block is what's gonna happen. They'n be passed out on the stoop, just like I tried in My love and I can't. It's gonna be dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure they're well set with their I they like hydration ivys, whatever cooling packs they've got. They're well taken care of. But that's still that's that's a grind. So yes, my hat is off to them. They're fantastic. Great weekend. I loved it. I just I won.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm so, I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself. So glad you got to take a little road trip too.
Speaker 2: That's yeah. And I have to give a shout out to my little friend Amy. Katie's daughter is Amy. She's ten years old. She's from Connecticut, and she she's our number one fan, arguably our number one fan of this podcast. And I facetimed her a couple of days.
Speaker 1: She'll fight anybody who challenges Oh yeah, she's Oh she.
Speaker 2: Will yeah yeah. But she had to FaceTime her because Katie, what is it, Kati Hatie? Well, Katie's the mom. Hi no, no, Amy is our number one fan.
Speaker 1: I'm an idiot, So Hi Amy, Amy, Amy.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wanted to give her a little shout out because I talked her the other day about the episode we did a few weeks ago about the.
Speaker 1: Tooth Fairy oh right.
Speaker 2: And Santa Claus and all that stuff, and so we had a little chat about all of that, because you know, she had some feelings about that. So yeah, we had a great chat. And so I just wanted to say, Amy, you are fantastic. You're so smart, smart as a whip, and we love you and thank you for watching our show. And I can't wait to see you in person and give you a big hug and see your forecat.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Amy, I won't see you or your forecats, but I'm gonna say hi through Andrea and she can give you a hug because yeah, because I don't know you, and to be creepy if I do, she would love it. But yeah, I want holy how old is Amy? Ahead? Ten and a half? Oh yep, ten and a half? God with those halfs they.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, drive down to the minute really really yes, it counts yep. Anyways, how are you? I haven't seen you in a couple of weeks because we took we took fourth of July off that whole week.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we took fourth of July off. You know, I have been. I've been good. I've been crazed. Uh, family has been nutty, life has been in session.
Speaker 2: We just saw an article. Did you see that David Ducovney article that just came out? Like it just came out? Boy?
Speaker 1: Did I? Okay?
Speaker 2: Tell me your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I loved David Dukeveny. I was obsessed with X files, like that was my my dad and I used to watch X files. But like I loved.
Speaker 2: Really, I didn't notice about you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I never knew any of this story that David Duchovney had auditioned for anything having to do with Full House. And I cannot imagine this. I mean, oh my god, the weird fan fit crossover that I have with like Mulder becoming one of like uncle Jesse's friends. It's just it's very strange. But uh, I was thrilled. I read the whole article. It was amazing. David du Coveney.
Speaker 2: I think he auditioned for all three roles Jesse, Danny, and Joe. I had heard somewhere along the line that he auditioned for one role. I didn't know you auditioned for all three lead roles.
Speaker 1: I didn't know either. I didn't And he was like I am not a sitcom actor like I'm and it's true, like there are there's some people have that have the switch, but he is so talented. Oh my god, would have that? Like it was so cool to know, like, oh wow, what could have been? I don't know. I always have that weird thing, even now as an adult with as long as this show has been on, where I'm like, oh my god, like they know our show.
Speaker 2: It's seven years and we're.
Speaker 1: Like what, Oh my gosh, they know who we are. Yeah, Like that was really I was like, oh my god, wait, David Duke Coveney knows what full House is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I know, we're fangirling just as much as anyone else would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway, as an X Files fan, it was it was really awesome And and yeah, and I think when we do Fuller House that he should come back somehow. I think we write, we write.
Speaker 2: David, write him David if you're listening, because I'm sure he is, David, if you're listening, please comes well.
Speaker 1: I mean, he now he knows who we are, so obviously he has been following our careers and is listening to this podcast with with just Love and admiration. I mean he's recommending it to friends.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: See, he's actually one of our one of our our number one active people on our social media. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, David, Kenny and Amy are are number one face.
Speaker 1: I'm true, none of the this is true. I'm really sorry. It was all a lie before I get sued by David Duchomany, thus ending any chance of him being in Fuller.
Speaker 2: Right now, David to company's filing restraining orders against us, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like cease and desist.
Speaker 2: Oh man, oh man. Well, you know it wouldn't have been the same full House though with if he had gotten one of the roles, if he had been Danny, it wouldn't have been the same show.
Speaker 1: So you know, no, no, no, it all worked. I definitely I don't think he I don't think he would have fit the show at all, no offense.
Speaker 2: He admitted that himself, but.
Speaker 1: He admitted that I just don't there was there was not a world where I would see him fitting into it. And so yeah, it's it's more the absurdity of it, sort of of like the two shows meeting, like if X Files met Full House. Really, I think Mulder and Scully show up to the Tanner household to investigate this strange shape shifting backyard because it's got to be some sort of a poor Yes, there is some sort of alien life here. So that's the thing. Yeah, that's what it is. They show up and hilarity ensues as we look for aliens. So through the backyards. There's my show.
Speaker 2: I let's right, this show, right, I'll write it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, direct it, and come to find out the Gibblers are actually possibly aliens that that wouldn't suppress the whole men in black. It's like a whole men in black sm right, that would make sense why they're so weird because they're like they're imitating what they think humans do, but it's just a little bit left of center, Like it's just a little bit not quite what normal humans would do.
Speaker 2: This fits. This is the crossover that I didn't know we needed, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is It explains every crossover I didn't know I needed until halfway through describing it. I don't even know that's where.
Speaker 2: That's where the best ideas come from, just like randomly.
Speaker 1: Out of your brain flowing like let's just see.
Speaker 2: Where the stream of consciousness thoughts. Yeah, then look at this brilliant, brilliant let's let's write it. Let's write it, let's pitch it file X Files House.
Speaker 1: Oh it's just a whole house of weird paranormal Files house. Yeah, yeah, all of the all of the they all live what's his name, the guy, the smoking guy and the one that smokes with the hole in his throat and all, like all the weird people from that show. They all live in one house. That's what it is.
Speaker 2: This is also a cautionary tale for sure, right right?
Speaker 1: Oh? I love it? Oh boy, should we should we get into our show instead of the one that I'm creating and inventing that that people are terribly getting.
Speaker 2: We'll recap that show in you know.
Speaker 1: Twenty years our next podcast, right right, that'll be our next podcast, X Files House, right, look for look for it on Hulu, guys. Just let you know. Also, if anyone steals this idea, I will come invite.
Speaker 2: You all of us in the entire full house cap date it is it is recorded.
Speaker 1: Don't stand the idea, don't do it, or just give me credit at least, like, just let me.
Speaker 2: Get a creator. You get created by Jody Sweetens.
Speaker 1: That's all I want created by.
Speaker 2: Everybody deserves credit. Yep. Anyways, let me I'll officially start the show. Let's get let me get into it.
Speaker 1: Let's not don't clap again, because I don't think we could do that twice in a day.
Speaker 2: That was like a solar eclipse.
Speaker 1: It only happens once every eighteen months, right, it was once in our lifetime.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, welcome back to How Rude tan Ritos. I'm Andrea Barber.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jody Sweeten.
Speaker 2: Last I checked, you're still Jody Sweeten. Today we're discussing season three, episode six, titled Star Search.
Speaker 1: Woo oh boy.
Speaker 2: This episodere. It originally aired on November third, nineteen eighty nine, and it goes a little something like this. Joey gives his comedy career one last chance after his self imposed ten year deadline and hopes for a big break on Ed McMahon's TV show Star Search. Meanwhile, DJ and Steph try to teach Michelle not to go to sleep with her ballerina skirt on, but Danny allows her to do it. Okay, of course he does think, well, do you have a feeling about this? I have a feeling about this. I have a feeling we'll get it, We'll get there. It was directed by Billy Faust to Coffee Coffee, Coffee Coffee, and it was written by Kim Weissakoff. And we got so many great guest stars this week, none other than Ed McMahon playing himself at.
Speaker 1: McMahon ed mcfreaking man, which which kids kids these days? No, but truly our generation and older is of the Star Search, of the star the Star Search era right right right, uh. And this was a huge show. You guys, how did we get on you who have never watched it?
Speaker 2: What's the kind of did Jeff know it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How did we get how did we get on the go?
Speaker 1: I mean I think by this by this season we had we could, we could go on Star Search.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we went to Hawaii.
Speaker 1: We were we were we were big enough we could. We had the poll to get on Stars's. I mean obviously Danny had the poll to get him on Star Search in two weeks. So and we will get to that. Let's just introduce them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we know Ed McMahon from the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson, Dick Clark's super bloopers and practical jokes I missed that show, to be honest, I love that show.
Speaker 1: I loved that course Star Search.
Speaker 2: Next we have Steve Otakirk playing Steve Otakirk. Everyone's playing themselves this week. It's fantastic. This guy has an extraordinary career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is an incredible comedy writer.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I when I looked like him up, I was like, whoa amaz, he's done. He created Adventures of Jimmy, Neutron Boy Genius. He wrote ace Ventura When Nature Calls, he wrote The Nutty Professor. He wrote for in Living Color. He's got a whole fan base called ODA fans, like I'm an I'm an ODA fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an incredible, incredible writer. And weirdly enough, I believe his wife ex wife, I think it was his wife at the time, was a buyer at the Nordstroms I think the nord Stroms Children's department where I used to shop in Orange County, and so like she would always like I just I remember her, and she was like, yeah, my husband was on the show. He was on the starts or something, or she was yeah, I don't know, I feel like you know somehow she.
Speaker 2: Was You're like the mayor, you know everyone in the most random ways, like from the north Stroom.
Speaker 1: I really do, I really do. It's the it's move over Kevin Bacon, which after that weird article where he's like it sucks being a normal person, which I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 2: Like, what do you I didn't hear that.
Speaker 1: What anyway? Six degrees six degrees of she really has a it has the same, has the same ring to it, the same, got the same cadens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, six degrees of Jodie.
Speaker 1: Sweeten and and you get a nice little uh, you know, alliteration.
Speaker 2: There with the s I'm here for it. I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Kevin Bacon, I'm coming for you. Watch out. I'm gonna shut up now so we can get our show.
Speaker 2: Next, we have Rick Astor as the stage manager full House is his only credit listed. We killed, we killed his killing career, that career. And then we have two uncredited people. We have Christian Alfonso as one of the judges at Star Search. We've talked about her, she was on the show before. She's from Days of Our Lives, The Incredible Hope Lady. And then for some reason, I'm uncredited, Like I'm not credit I'm in this episode, which I completely forgot until I turned it on because I'm not right, I'm not credited. I don't get a credit. I'm like, did they even pay me.
Speaker 1: For this episode? I don't know. Right, you should go back and look at those residuals. I bet, I bet there's something mess in. There's at least like a dollar eighty five that you have got.
Speaker 2: They definitely owe me at least a dollar eighty five.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was maybe they just didn't like people from Days of Our Lives. Maybe that was a discrimination against against duel, so against Yeah, yeah, that's what erazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyways, let's start the show. So we start with the teaser and.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, hold on my hearing just heard something. Did you call it dual? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Days of Our Lives it's dual. That's a very common acronym with all the dual fans. Did you not know that?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Why are you giving me that?
Speaker 1: Would I be asking you that question if I didn't? If I did that, well.
Speaker 2: I know I wouldn't know that if I wasn't on the show Our Days of Our Lives.
Speaker 1: Dole, it's really dole?
Speaker 2: Do you O? No, it's it's long. Oh dual got it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, like zul or whatever from Ghostbusters. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: You learn something new every single day. You teach me things, I teach you things. This is a very symbiotic relationship.
Speaker 1: It is I feel you feel incredibly connected to the dual crowd now, dual crowd.
Speaker 2: Now they're probably just as just as as uh excited as the Oda Kirks like these fans are very devoted to the shows. Are foes the Ota Kirks and the dual fans like everyd He's just a rabbit. Rabbit, rabbit in a good way, though in a good way, in a good way.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I met rabbit in a good like super excited, like super into it. Sorry I should have.
Speaker 2: Rabbit is good in the right context. I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, opening and Steph's Room Let's producers are like, really so much time? Okay.
Speaker 2: The teasers in the Girl's Room, DJ, Steph, and Kimmy are given Michelle a ballerina makeover, complete with a tiara and tou tou. Michelle looks at herself in the mirror and asks, Wow, what is it? DJ explains that these ones belonged to her, and then she passed them down to Steph and now they're Michelle's. Steph excitedly tells her, now you're a ballerina, and Michelle responds, Wow, what's a ballerina?
Speaker 1: How does how does it? Taller not know what a ballerina is? Are they keeping this child under a rock? Does she get socialized?
Speaker 2: No? No, We've talked about the lack of socialization of Michelle. She needs friends. They need to let her out of her crib.
Speaker 1: What is it? She should know what a two two is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she sleeps in the crib by herself, in her room with the lights on. That's what they and she's dreaming of Howie, that's what Michelle's been doing.
Speaker 1: So now they're She's not dreaming about being a ballerina. She didn't even know what that is.
Speaker 2: So DJ explains that a ballerina is a girl who does beautiful dancing. Then she opens a ballerina music box and the three sisters spin on their tippy toes with their arms over their heads, mimicking a ballerina.
Speaker 1: Haven't we seen Michelle do this before?
Speaker 2: I think it's in an we have I think it isn't it an opening shot? I think it's in an opening credit. Some I think so, But you think it's been in an episode, I don't.
Speaker 1: I feel I think we've seen her do this.
Speaker 2: It looked really familiar to me, and I assumed it was an this.
Speaker 1: No, I feel like we've seen her do this.
Speaker 2: Well, Fan Aurito's please please tell us because they know they'll know exactly where we see this before. Kimmy's watching this happen and she says, I'm glad I took bowling lessons, Like, I don't know why I'm there. There's really no point to me being in this episode. But whatever, Well, that's why they didn't credit you.
Speaker 1: They're like, you know what.
Speaker 3: We even.
Speaker 1: Really, you were just a plot point to get the letter in the house.
Speaker 2: That was it. That was my sole purpose.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, there. But your hair looks good.
Speaker 2: Hair's getting better, the clothes getting worse.
Speaker 1: You might not be credited for this episode, but your hair looks good. So that's the trade off. You either get paid or your hair looks good. You don't get I.
Speaker 2: Can't have both.
Speaker 1: Yes, you do not get both.
Speaker 2: I can't get greedy now anyways, very cute teaser. Moving on to the living room, Danny tells the whole family it's time for the big surprise, as he carries a VHS tape over to the TV. DJ Stephan Kimmey all PLoP themselves on the couch.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a time the VCRs. Just everyone watching a VHS. Yeah for a surprise.
Speaker 2: You know, I just I missed these days. I miss these days. I do.
Speaker 1: I do so.
Speaker 2: Jesse and Joey run in, literally running in place. This better be important. We're working on a commercial for rocket Feet running shoes. We're trying to get inspired by running around. Danny excitedly says he found one of his old videotapes. Jesse and Joey look at each other and then say bye in unison before running backwards. Danny says, I come back. It's not a whole movie. It's a tape of Joey and me on my old college talk show. Oh yes, the guys are now intrigued and they want to they want to watch this now. The videotape starts by showing a young Danny Tanner dancing to disco music and sporting big shaggy hair, a mustache, and a green plaid coat. Bob Bob boy.
Speaker 1: It was a sight to behold.
Speaker 2: I wonder if, like, if Bob and Dave loved this or hated it. I feel like they had so much fun with it, you know, it was so bad.
Speaker 1: I feel like, I don't know. I feel like Bob probably loved it. I don't know if Dave loved it, because he was kind of the butt of the joke and he wasn't anyway.
Speaker 2: We'll get it, we'll get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but they probably did. I mean, it was It's like you and I am doing a stupid Yeah. Can you imagine I showed up in a mustache and a green clad coat. You would lose it? Yeah, and you rode in on a skateboard with a mullet. I'm well, you know what, I think you may have actually, I think you actually may.
Speaker 2: Have argued, was so Bubba the turtle?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it was you had the mullet, but the turtle was on the skateboard. That's right.
Speaker 2: Never mind, Okay, now we've straightened this out. Good, got it, Danny tells tells the camera, Hey, this is Danny Tanner reminding you that Disco will never die. Kimmy butts in, mister Tanner, don't take this the wrong way, but what a geek.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: At least that was a nicer delivery. Usually she's sassier and a little more sarcastic.
Speaker 1: But that's true.
Speaker 2: You weren't at least like me, So Danny, You're yeah, this was That's probably the last time I was nice to Danny Tanner. So Disco Danny welcomes viewers to his show Campus Rap, where he'll be taking a hard hit and look at whatever he wants because it's his show. He goes on to show a baby picture of DJ. Here's a hard hitting look at a brand new picture of my very own little girl, which is a real photo of Candice. Of course, yes, so cute, but Steph is so cute.
Speaker 1: And it also gives us a timeline that Danny was again in college when he had a JA and she was looked to be a couple years old three maybe in that picture. So yeah, so I remember we decided they're right out of high school into college. So yeah, So this track is just anyway putting the peace.
Speaker 2: I appreciate continuity because our show is not known for good continuity, So I appreciate what is gonna say.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, well, then I'm sorry for them.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it when I get it because it's rare.
Speaker 1: I are right.
Speaker 2: So Stephanie sees this picture and she exclaims I was adorable, and DJ chimes in telling her, Hey, that was actually me. Steph is shocked. It is my how you've aged, like you're so serious about.
Speaker 1: Like you're just so it's quite concerned.
Speaker 2: Steph is stuck inside a forty year old woman's body like she is just She really is, a matter of fact, it really is.
Speaker 1: Steph is all of the Golden Girls in one she is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So young Danny introduces his guest for the episode. It's his very best friend, his fraternity brother, and a party animal, Joey Gladstone. Young Joey rolls on a skateboard, exclaiming four years of college, look what I learned. And Jesse in the living room was pointing at the screen and laughing hysterically in Joey's face, And then, yeah, I didn't write it down because I didn't love these fat jokes that I was like the big man on campus.
Speaker 1: Like what, Yeah, I didn't know. I didn't notice at all I saw was like a poorly fitting sweater. It was just I was like he's not Yeavy. It's just a bad fit. He just needs a tailor exactly, you know, let's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, these these these fat jokes and what I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't like it. I was like, no, that's not okay. Didn't age well. And really there was enough material there with the hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh there was a lot of material.
Speaker 1: Quite truly, there was a lot of enough material there with the hair.
Speaker 2: It was the hair so much yet you could have just it was more than a mullet. It was. It was just a shack.
Speaker 1: Or the fact that he didn't seem to be doing a great job at riding the skateboard after four years. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't get an a in that, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So on the tape, Danny tells Joey to do his Jetson's routine from his act, and Joey does impressions of multiple different characters from the Jetsons and then ends his act by saying, oh, come on, now, cut it out, thank you. Joey watches this younger version of himself with a smile. On the tape, young Joey states, I guarantee you that in ten years, you'll be seeing this face sitting between Ed McMahon and Johnny Carson and then he kind of flipped.
Speaker 1: Now, for those that don't know, Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show forever and Ed McMahon was his sight. Yeah, and they always sat next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sad to say that there are probably a lot of people who don't know why Ed McMahon is relevant, Yeah, other than Star Search, and probably have never even heard of Star Search.
Speaker 1: So hey, it just always like to give a little background. No, this is an educational past, kind of a big deal. They were kind of a big deal, and they were a huge deal in comedy.
Speaker 2: Specifically huge deal in the eighties. Absolutely, like I'm sorry to all of.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon from the sixties, oh, from the I mean they or maybe I can't remember how long he hosted The Tonight Forever. Yeah, and yeah, so this was Ed's like second Oh yes, it didn't start with star Search, for sure, this was it didn't start with star Search. So anyway, just trying to let people know why this would be such an important thing for a comedian because this was like the epitome of like comic success.
Speaker 2: Yep, no, this was it. It was a big deal, Like it's a big deal that we got on this show. I'm still I'm still stunned by that. Joey quickly stands and runs over to check the date on the tape. He looks at it and says, I can't believe my tenured deadline is almost up. I've got two weeks to become a star. Joey asks Jesse to handle the running the running Shoe account without him, and Jesse's fine with that and encourages Joey to follow his dream. Danny adds that all of them are there for Joey, and the girls excitedly agree. Joey announces up from now on, Joey Gladstone's going to be all comedy all the time, and Jesse regretfully asks all the time. Joey responds with an impression of the three Stooges. Why certainly yeah yeah. He cheerfully exits the room.
Speaker 1: That was so that was so good.
Speaker 2: But Dave or me me, you thinks probably last night when I was doing my.
Speaker 1: Fuzing, I wish I could have seen that record that next time, okay, because that yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah that's the only one I can do. I can't do the Jetsons like I can't do anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why no, I can't even do it.
Speaker 2: See, I haven't read you know.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go do that. That's what I'm gonna do tonight. I'll send you a video, you send me some.
Speaker 2: Well, rehearse. It'll be a rehearsal of this impression.
Speaker 1: And then we can be on startars.
Speaker 2: Yay full circle one. Next, in the kitchen, Michelle runs in wearing her new ballerine two two over her pajamas, and DJ and Stuff follow directly behind her. Danny asks Michelle what's wrong, and Michelle points at DJ and Steph, scolding them bad girls. The girls tell Michelle that they're supposed to get her ready for bed, which means it's time to take off the two two, and Michelle yells no. Danny defends Michelle. It's perfectly normal for children to be attached to a special something. He tells Michelle that if she wants to sleep in her two two, she can. Michelle wags her finger at her sister's saying I told you so, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh this felt, But then also it was something that I went, I know I've done this. I know I've done this with my kid. Like you just sort of have those moments with the youngest one where you're like, no, that's it's fine, They're okay, it can do this.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm torn because I agree with Danny's sentiment that kids get attached to things and then we'll sleep with them, and that's fine. My problem is he's undermine He sent the girls to put out, and I undermined what they were trying to do. And I also know that we have several more seasons of Danny's permissive parenting of Michelle coming up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well it's you know what, it's what happens with the baby, it's what happens with the youngest. I know I have definitely been roped into my youngest's shenanigans and you're like, okay, no, leave her alone. Yeah, and then you're like, I was wrong.
Speaker 2: I get it. I'm I'm the youngest of three.
Speaker 1: So yes, Michelle, Yeah, you very really work that advantage. Yes, you're like, I could write a book.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have my brother on the show at some point, so he'll tell you.
Speaker 1: All the stories about I can not wait. Can't wait so fun. Oh, I'm going to start writing my questions.
Speaker 2: You should, you should start preparing. No, So, Joey runs by the window from outside and does his Yosemite Sam impression. Jesse looks at the family and gruffly states, comedy alert. Everyone in the kitchen groans.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if there was a grown man running around doing a Yosemite Sam impression in between your houses? In San Francisco? The houses are very close together, you would you someone would notice this and be really question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the neighbors are gibblers, so like, that's probably behind the neighbors behind gigglers behind. Maybe he shaped shifted the backyard so we had plenty of space to run.
Speaker 1: Well, it's an invisibility cloak. It's what it is. Never mind, it's fine.
Speaker 2: That's what it was. So Joey enthusiastically enters the kitchen, and the girls frantically make excuses about why they have to leave. Joey says, stop, nobody move, and DJ whispers or no, Steph whispers to DJ, we were so close. Joey grabs a wooden spoon, using it as a fake microphone, and announces live from Las Vegas. The song stylings of Jimmy Vibrato. He begins to sing, and as he hits that last note, he pulled the fake microphone away from his body and then quickly brings it back, his voice dipping out and then coming back, which Dave like.
Speaker 1: Dave did like a singer would do with a microphone.
Speaker 2: Dave did this all the time, like off stage.
Speaker 1: It's entire all of these bits. I was like, oh, I've seen all these not in this scene, but totally throughout my knowing.
Speaker 2: Of through our through a thirty seven year history. He has done th seven years.
Speaker 1: I've seen I've seen peaking Duck. I've seen that, all of it, all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so great.
Speaker 1: When he did the thing with the yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: So he throws the fake mic at Danny, grabs two plastic cups. He starts a new act, holds the cups to his eyes, saying, I really got to get myself some new contacts. He continues with new acts, including peaking Duck.
Speaker 1: Peaking Duck, and the little eye he makes like a weird little alien thing with the He used to do that voice all the time. Yeah, yeah, the ali alien voice with the little I Yeah, this is he would put those things in his eyes and do all sorts of weird voices and you know, make Bob laugh and they'd be doing.
Speaker 2: Stupid Oh this is. This is like the greatest hits of Dave Cooler right here.
Speaker 1: And really the greatest hits of what he had figured out were jokes in that room, particularly jokes that were family friendly enough that he could do him in front of us. And so like this was he was like, ah, I got it. I know, I know how to work this room with props. Oh, it's a great props comedie is great props com unmatched.
Speaker 2: Like I just I loved this scene so much. It highlighted all of his talents and I was so proud of him. I was like, Dave, you just nailed this whole scene again.
Speaker 1: Another amazing physical comedy bit in the kitchen. It really lends itself to some good I mean it's a big set with lots to do in it. So I guess lots of props.
Speaker 2: You know, you can use the island. Yeah, there's there's lots of lots of comedy in the kitchen. Oh yes, So Jesse breaks it to Joey that he's been living in Toontown for two days now, and he needs to start acting like a human being. Joey responds as peebe herman. I know you are, but what am I? I didn't do that one as well. He continues to run around.
Speaker 1: You can practice tonight, I will.
Speaker 2: I'll send you my tape. He'll send you myself tape. He continues to run around the kitchen doing various impressions, and then he grabs the detachable faucet head and sings, I'm seeing and in the rain while water is pouring onto him.
Speaker 1: And John is laughing, but like genuinely laughing at Dave being in John.
Speaker 2: John is breaking.
Speaker 1: John is totally bra He's just like, oh my god, because it's also like it, you know, it's not as like the extent to which Dave could take it, but he he fully commits to the silliness of it. And it's just it's great.
Speaker 2: It's so great.
Speaker 1: I love watching them have fun because because it reminds me of like you and I doing a scene, or you and me and kan Is doing a scene, and like us having fun as adults on Fuller and like that thing that you see happening between people, and like I see it with them, and it's just fun to know that they were having just as much fun as we were when we didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're exactly right, Like, there's nothing better than doing a bit that you know is so funny. The audience is gonna love it. We're cracking ourselves up, we're trying not to crack up. We're looking at her foreheads. Yeah, it's there's just no better feeling in the world than doing funny bits with you, Jody Sweeten, It's my all time favorite thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks, Aby.
Speaker 2: So then Joey turns this faucet onto Jesse and so now Jesse's getting soaked, and he's very Now he's now he's not laughing, he's unamused. Joey turns to his niece and exclaims, Michelle, let me show you my Bob Hope impression, and Michelle yells no and runs away.
Speaker 1: So she knows who Bob Hope is, but it's unclear on Vallerina's I'm just setting the priorities in this.
Speaker 2: That's a very very good point. Yes, how does she know who Bob Hope is but not a Ballerina?
Speaker 1: Well, I think I guess it appears at this point, It doesn't matter who Bob Hope is. She just doesn't want him to do any Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it. She's just like I'm taking, which is weird because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe's not Bob Hope in particular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just doesn't want to hear the impressions. I don't know. She seems like his best audience. But okay, she doesn't like. She doesn't like this one, so she runs away and Dave or Joey runs after her. Jesse threatens if he doesn't cheer down, I'm gonna break his funny bone. Danny tells the group that he may have done something that can help Joey's career, but they have to keep it a secret. Everyone turns slowly to look at Stephanie, and she pouts, how rude. I can keep a secret. No she can't.
Speaker 3: Terrible, although she did, she did, she did, she did, But yep, you notoriously track record you.
Speaker 2: You did not have a good track record at this point, But you zipped your lips with like pretend to zip your lips with the key, So I think maybe that was what worked. Danny tells them that he sent a recent tape of Joey's act to the people at Star Search, and Stephanie exclaims, Joey's going on Star Search. Wait till I tell And then she stops herself and says, nobody, See, you've learned. I'm very proud, very proud of Stephanie. See she's learned.
Speaker 1: Proud of Stephanie. Why didn't Danny do this earlier in Joey's career, that's my question. Oh, he's been wanting to get on Star Search for ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Danny's been busy. He's you know, widowing and raising girls and I don't know what else. So next we are in the living room and Steph runs in from the front door and calls everyone except Joey into the room. She tells them that they got a letter with Ed McMahon's picture on it and carefully whispers that it must be from Star Search. DJ asks if it's good news, and Steph exclaims, it's great news. We may already be millionaires.
Speaker 1: Now here's another little back piece of information for those of you that don't know. Back in the eighties and early nineties, there's a thing called.
Speaker 2: The UH Clearings sweep steaks.
Speaker 1: Yep, I will tell you that right now. If anything is ever deemed sweepstakes. It is a bull stacks, is what it is. It is it's a way for you to send in money. And I'm sure someone somewhere one maybe I don't know, but it just it was always a little efficient. Always anyway there you would get these things in the mail that would say, like you might already be a millionaire, and you just had to keep sending stuff back in in order to keep the game going. And basically they just filtered it out to like, you know, a few people who were just dumb enough to keep sending a bunch of money in anyway, that's my opinion on it. But yeah, this was a very big deal and sort of the equivalent of like winning the lottery, except the lottery ticket got mailed to your house with a fake personalization.
Speaker 2: Yes, and a fake promise that you may already be a millionaire.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: I know it was right, right, I mean you might, but they don't know. They're sending it to everyone you might already be a millionaire. For what they know, they're sending it to a giant ten thousand square withows. You don't know that's true. They didn't sensify that, they didn't slassify, right, he didn't lie. You might already be a millionaire. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know what that those lawyers that that reviewed that sweepstakes very crafty, very crafty. Yes, So Joey walks into the living room and announces that he's going to make some French toast. Jesse asks if he's sick, because he isn't acting goofy, and Joey admits, who am I kidding? My tenurre deadline is up today. I'm not famous. I'm never going to be famous, and the only thing that could save my career now is a miracle. Qu Kimmy walking through the front door with some mail.
Speaker 1: Miracle appears. I mean you're uncredited, but you're a miraculous.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saved the day, Like this is the only point. He saves the day, the only point of my my existency.
Speaker 1: You were without Kimmy, there's no show. Yeah, without Kimmy, there's no This doesn't happen without Kimmy. Somebody, one of the Giblers is opening this and tossing it in the pit. Yeah, and committing mail.
Speaker 2: From Okay, well, I wouldn't put it past them either. That's very gibbler ask, so she announces mail call letter for Danny Tanner. Danny takes it and Kimmy leaves her hand outstretched, asking what no tip. Danny gives her a tip, stay out of my mailbox. Danny opens the letter and exclaims, Yes, Joey's gonna be on Star Search. Joey runs over and grabs the letter enthusiastically. I'm gonna be on Star Search, and Kimmy adds as a spokesmodel. Joey continues, this is great. How did this happen? Danny admits that they had so much faith in him that they sent his tape to Star Search. Joey looks around and admires his family, telling them they are the best. He assures the group that he is gonna win Star Search, He's on his way to the top. Before leaving the room, he turns to his family and says, thank you people because and then he sings I Love and slides across the floor on his knees, joining the family as they all sing you I love that bit. I just I really love that bit. We cut to an exciting commercial break.
Speaker 1: This sorry, but I just have to go back to the fact that this is just the most sitcom. Of all, it's such I love how things happen get solved in a sitcom in twenty twenty is because you're like, oh my god, my tenure career, it sucks. Everything's going terribly. Oh no, you're like, wait, there's a letter, and it's all what I'm getting. I'm going on Star Search, a notoriously hard show that you have to like audition for go through all these rounds. But Danny pulled it off because Danny hosts Wake Up San Francisco and he's got strings that he can pull, although he wouldn't pull him until the last moment.
Speaker 2: Because otherwise there'd be The show has to work, otherwise I'd be the storyline. The storyline has to work, the joke has to work, like there's that is the purpose.
Speaker 1: Joke has to work. And most importantly, we're on Star Search. Yeah, so that's really all.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Yes, backstage age at Star Search. This is very exciting. Although I think this was a set on Oh, this was definitely a set. This wasn't startars just coming next.
Speaker 1: You can tell by the way it's lit. Nothing in the real world is lit uh from above at all?
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 1: Uh if it is it looks like a dressing thing and that's not cute on anyway. So yeah, you can tell us. It's always tell by the lighting, well on a sitcomic, on a sent exactly.
Speaker 2: So DJ and Steph run into the dressing room where the rest of the family's waiting, and they announced they just saw the tapping Takeyamas tap dancing in the hallway.
Speaker 1: What was Harry? There any relation to Harry?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They do not think of another teeming.
Speaker 2: They should have, But maybe they just really wanted.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that was maybe they wanted to throw it in. Maybe the tapping Takiyamas. Maybe it was a nod to Harry since we never saw him on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they and they, so they coud maybe it was like goodbye, yes, sayonara Takeyama. Yeah, they can tap dance their way off stage. So yeah, I guess that's it. So a stage manager walks in and tells Joey he has ten minutes. DJ tells Michelle to show the nice producer how good of a ballerina she is. Michelle begins to dance, and then Steph seizes this opportunity by running in front of her and singing Tomorrow by Annie or from from the show Annie This is you were so cute, Like, were you like into it or were you embarrassed or were I love?
Speaker 1: No, I loved singing. I love yeah, I mean any chance to be ethel merman like and do it? You know it was I was you loved it? Yeah, I loved I always loved music and all that kind.
Speaker 2: Of st Oh you did it so well too.
Speaker 1: It's a hysterical and I didn't you know, I wasn't horribly off key, so it wasn't no ear piercing. It was not you know, it was great for a seven year old.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, No, you were really good.
Speaker 1: I'm no, it was no you know, Sarah Jessica Parker.
Speaker 2: Well, I just didn't know at seven was that embarrassing or were you into it? But you were the type of.
Speaker 1: Kid that was very oh yeah at your theater. I didn't get embarrassed about things until middle.
Speaker 2: School, okay, which is usually the.
Speaker 1: Case that yeah, yeah, I didn't get I had no embarrassment or shame until I was about like eleven or twelve, and then I was like, oh my god, I'm late.
Speaker 2: And that's when you become self aware and very self right. So the producer gives a half hearted thank you and walks out the door as Stuff follows him, continuing this song.
Speaker 1: Because you should let your children follow strange people around backstage and sing it though it's without any idea of where they're going. That's really how you should like.
Speaker 2: Where is security? H Michelle rips off her too too, and says no more ballerina. Joey says why not, to which Michelle responds by copying Stuff and singing tomorrow while walking out the door. This is where it starts, How it starts. This is how it starts.
Speaker 1: First, to start with tomorrow. It started with the there's a couple other things that she's stolen, and now tomorrow. Oh yeah, she's the best old I little sister, just always coming.
Speaker 2: For yes always DJ laughs, Oh little kids, I better go get them before they embarrass themselves, and then she copies both Michelle and Stuff by singing tomorrow as she exits the room. Now, I wonder if Candace might have been embarrassed about that.
Speaker 1: I would have been at thirteen. Yeah, she never loved singing totally sure.
Speaker 2: Danny and Jesse get up, telling Joey that they better get back to their seats. They wish him luck and tell him not to be nervous. Joey sarcastically asks, why would I be nervous just because the last ten years comes down to the next ten minutes, just because my entire life is writing on my one and only shot at stardom. Jesse shrugs, see nothing to be worried about, and he and Danny exit the room. Next we're on the Star Search stage. Oh my gosh, this is so like do you remember going to the studio?
Speaker 1: I don't remember it exactly. I do remember us getting a picture with Ed McMahon at the end. Oh do you remember like sitting and watching like Dave's portion of the show and doing that? But I seem to remember we were kind of like we sort of inserted ourselves into an episode of Star Search that was already going if I'm correct, or something like. It was like Dave had his bit and that, Like I don't know that we got Star Search to do a whole I'm not sure how it happened, but I do seem to remember. I think we sort of fit into their production schedule that bit for the live Dabu got it okay, because we need they needed an audience and you know all that.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like the Baseball episode of Fuller House.
Speaker 1: Kind of like the Baseball episode, kind of like the like the Hawaii episode at the end when we joined the show and what it's sort of like that kind of thing when it's like you've got this is it, You've got your you've got your.
Speaker 2: Mind, the audience is already there. You just throw the I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember if like Dave got any he might have. I think probably at the end. Obviously he comes back and is on the stage by himself that I think. I'm sure we got pickups of his set during that, yeah, which is why you see a close up of him and not with the audience. Probably at some points during a set, but but I think he probably got one pass to go through it during the show. And then that was that was kind of it.
Speaker 2: That's pressure. That is pressure. He did. Yeah, so good.
Speaker 1: Oh it's funny.
Speaker 2: But first Steve Odakirk is on stage concluding his act.
Speaker 1: Which is funny, Like I was just about to say speaking, if not funny though that which is this?
Speaker 2: I don't think this was fun What was he was dancing and he had four fake arms, and I don't it was it's a physical comedy bit. It didn't. We didn't see the first part of his act, so I wonder if it was like a call down. I don't know. Well, yeah, it wasn't funny to me either, but I'm like wow.
Speaker 1: And maybe they were trying to make it slightly think like, oh, there's no way that Joey lose to this guy. And then okay, that's true.
Speaker 2: So the presenter Ed McMahon mentions that Steve is the champion and now we are going to see the challenger.
Speaker 1: That's right. It was like it was like Jeopardy, where like one person kept making it week after when they would continue, them come back week after week and they would continue.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that too until I watched the episode. Joey is introduced and welcome to the stage. Ed McMahon notes he's been doing comedy for ten years. WHOA, that's a long time. Please welcome Joey Gladstone. Everybody cheers. Joey comes out on stage and starts his set. So I played ice hockey for thirteen years and it's great to be alive. Thanks. I'm playing in a league in California, and there are surfers in this ice hockey league, and these guys are thinking, if this ice smelts cool, dude surfs up and the audience laughs. Joey continues mentioning the surfer who keeps talking about ice hockey philosophy to him. Joey impersonates the surfer voice. The audience keeps laughing. Then Joey begins this incredible Jacques Cousteau act, which is like, so good, so great.
Speaker 1: Jacques Cousteau, for those of you who don't know, was a nature, a marine nature, like a documentarian who did a lot of things in the seventies and eighties that were really cool underwater documentaries that people hadn't seen before. Yeah, and he was French.
Speaker 2: And we continue and Dave nails it like he nails the voice. My god, he nails the cadence, like the birds, the bird sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the birds got yeah. Everything. If you've ever seen a Jacques Custo, which you may have if your our age and watched like a documentary in your science class, it is exactly like a Jacques Cousta.
Speaker 3: Yep, Dave.
Speaker 2: Dave absolutely nailed this impression. So He does some more impressions and the audience loves it, and he includes his classic cut it out and gets a big round of applause. He finishes his act by doing Popeye impression and the audience is going crazy for him. Next, Joey and his competitor Steve greet each other on stage. Ed McMahon explains that they are now going to see how the judges rated them. Champion Steve Odokerk gets all four stars a perfect score, and Joey Gladstone gets all four stars another perfect score. Ooh, I was excited. But the way they break ties on Star Search is for the studio audience to vote for their favorite, and once the votes are in, the results will be revealed at the end of the show. A spokeswoman takes us to commercial as Danny stands up in the audience, very smitten with her. A little while later, it's the end of the show and the results are in. Joey's inner monologue reveals that he is terrified and he has his whole career writing on this moment, whereas his competitor competitor's inner monologue is telling us how he's thinking about where to get a good burd after the.
Speaker 1: Show, which was such a strange. It was sort of a strange, like, oh, we're we can hear people's thoughts now interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it was just that fits in.
Speaker 1: Was like okay, I love it.
Speaker 2: Hey, it fits in with the Aliens, the X Files, the portals, the shape shifting like you know, this is full house is magic. My greeting, of course, Ed McMahon reveals that Steve oda Kirk is the winner and the reigning champion. Wo we no, I felt terrible. We cut to a very disappointed commercial break, and when we come back, we are backstage again at Star Search. The entire family runs into Joey's room, congratulating him on a great show. Everyone's doing their part by telling Joey how wonderful he was, but Steph takes it above and beyond. You were better than the best, You were the bestest, you were super best orama. Joey thanks everyone and tells them he's glad he's getting out of comedy while he's still young enough to laugh about it. I just saw the look on his face and I just, oh, my heart dropped.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Danny tells his daughters that he and Jesse want to talk to Joey alone for a minute, so he tells the girls to go get ed McMahon's autograph, and the girls leave once again. The girls are and.
Speaker 1: They've already been. They've already probably figured out where Craft services. And we're all, yeah, they're they're touring the studio a lot. They're fine. They've stolen a golf card.
Speaker 2: It's like our girls backstage at Fuller. Yeah, they've just yeah, the whole run of the stage right right, Craft Service. So Joey tells Jesse and Danny to save the pep talk because he already knows what they're going to say. He mocks them, keep working at it, it's gonna happen. You got a perfect score in Star Search. If you give up now, you're stupid. Jesse and Danny admit that, Yeah, that's exactly what they were going to say. I mean, I was like, yes, yeah, he nailed all of all of those talking points. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right now, He's like, that's exactly what they were going to write. I mean, where we go from here?
Speaker 2: Joey sighs. There comes a time in every man's life when he's just got to face the music and say to himself, Hey, I'm a failure bro like Joey, But he's breaking my heart.
Speaker 1: Failure.
Speaker 2: He's so hard on.
Speaker 1: If you've been a comedian for ten years, you are very used to rejecting. Yeah, star search does feel it. You've got on Star Search in two weeks. That's like you're it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: He just doesn't have the perspective. But but then Jesse Jesse steps in. Jesse says, nobody calls my friend Joey a failure, especially my friend Joey.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Joey argues back. He says, I'm a local nightclub comic. That's all I'm ever gonna be. I've been in the same rut for the last ten years. Jesse tells him that the failure he's experiencing is his attitude. He says, your problem is the way you're looking at success. Do you love being a stand up comic? Joey says, well yeah, Jesse's have you made thousands of people laugh millions tonight? And Joey perks up. Well yeah, Jesse goes on, before this little stupid deadline of yours, were you happy with your life? Joey throws up his hands and admits yes, and Jesse concludes personal happiness and bringing joy to others. That sounds like success to me. Jesse knows that's that's so great. He's so proud of Jesse.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, for he really in this moment, he really redeemed himself. He shined. I was very proud of how he stood up for his friend and supported him and was like, dude, you're gonna it's gonna be okay. You actually are doing just fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I think Jesse's only flaw is in the relationship era of his life. But when it comes to pep talks and building up his friends, like this was Chef's kiss, no notes, it was.
Speaker 1: Perfect, no notes, and that it was great. You know. I know we are sometimes hard on Uncle Jay and in the in the show, but this was a shining example of Uncle Jesse making you believe in yourself.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was great. He didn't make it all about himself. He just referred to like, right, it's like I us it career. But he didn't like make it all about him.
Speaker 1: He didn't make it all exactly. I was, yeah, this is growth people, This yes gross, Joey got a moment to have his own feet.
Speaker 2: I love it. So Jesse asks Danny if there's anything he'd like to add to this PEP talk, and Danny is staring off in the distance and he says, oh, sorry, I wasn't listening. I was still thinking about that spokes model.
Speaker 1: And which also does it track for Danny though Danny's not usually that guy. I felt like a Jesse line to me? It did.
Speaker 2: I guess it did to me too, even the fact that he stood up in the in the audience and was like, oh her, that was I'm like, okay, Danny needs a date.
Speaker 1: And also, what were spokes models? Why were they usually a spokesperson is like for a product? Why were we I don't know why we. I guess that was kind of what you called like price is right and all those we were usually advertising some sort of product. I guess yeah, yeah, I guess they would just be called because we just don't really have spokes models anymore.
Speaker 2: No, No, they're just co hosts now, it's you know, it's.
Speaker 1: They're just anyone with a with a social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, basically. So next we go back to the Star Search stage, which is now devoid of audience members. It's empty. Yes, Joey walks onto the stage and stands at the empty microphone. He begins to do his Wizard of Oz sketch for the empty audience. He shrugs, well, I gave it my best shot ten years. It's been a great ten years. But what do I have to show for it? I do do the best Popeye in the business. And he imitates Popeye's laugh. Just then we hear a giggle. The camera shows Michelle walking onto the stage. She's giggling at Joey's impression. Joey walks.
Speaker 1: Kind of creepy that she walked. The way she's giggling and walking in it was so for it felt do you see the movie Child's Play?
Speaker 2: Oh, it felt really creepy me.
Speaker 1: She was like, I was like stop doing that, Like stop, that's what I'm sorry. I ruined the moment.
Speaker 2: You didn't ruin the moment.
Speaker 1: I was like, it just this this it just felt like one of those moments like this episode felt very like again that sort of forcing of Michelle to do stuff, and and again the kids wandering about.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I mean this is when you have men who don't have children writing for a three year old and you're like, well, I don't think a three year old would do that. And yeah, I mean, I give the Olsen's credit. They did great with what they were give they did great.
Speaker 1: They did great with what I mean, there were three but it just I was like this, it just anyway. But but but she has to be there for the next part, which is of course makes so much sense, which is which is the emotional unload on the top, which we seem to do a lot.
Speaker 2: She's the therapist of the family, so.
Speaker 1: This family needs somebody to talk to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, joe Joey picks her up and tells her that he has been on so many stages and told so many joke but he never gets tired of hearing people laugh. He asks himself, So why am I walking away? Michelle responds, I don't know. Joey sighs. I did have that deadline, but let's face it, I've never been on time for anything in my entire life, so why start now.
Speaker 1: You're a comedian. That's a hallmark of meeting a comedian is never being on time.
Speaker 2: You're never on time.
Speaker 1: You get rejected time blindness, rejecting it. Yeah, you're either two hours early and stressing about that, or you're two hours late, and you're like, I'm an idiot, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a normal life for a comic, very successful. But you know, the joke's gotta work. So Joey decides to make a new deadline. He declares, if I'm not on the Carson Show in sixty years, I'm going to seriously consider changing my career. He does a porky pig impression, concluding that ain't all folks. Just then, Danny, Jesse, DJ and Steph walk onto the stage, applauding Joey and singing, oh a slow clap, Oh yeah, Oh.
Speaker 1: Got a slow clap, the slow yeah clap.
Speaker 2: Just I love the slow clap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it was a staple of eighties movies and film and television.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It still happens occasionally today, but I think we now do it more of an ironic, true, true satire esque way. But no, it was.
Speaker 2: They weren't mocking him.
Speaker 1: Walk around the corner slow clap, where you've heard something and you're giving someone their applause.
Speaker 2: It's a very you're building to a bigger applause, a.
Speaker 1: Moving moment in many an eighties uh film or show, Oh it's great here we're here for the slow.
Speaker 2: The family is so supportive. They applaud him and they sing we love you, and Joey tells them to cut it out, and that is our show, ladies and gentlemen, Hey, I love it. Oh, this was such a good.
Speaker 1: You know what's actually really funny is Dave says, well, Joey says, if I'm not in the Carson on the Carson Show in sixty years and when we came back and did Fuller House, we did the Tonight Show, Jimmy Allen, that's right, and that was that was only the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Yeah, so we did the entire cast, did do the Carson Show technically, yes, the Tonight Show within Joey's Yeah, so Joey, I just want to point out, Joey, Joey made.
Speaker 2: Up Joey manifested that moment. It had it on the Tonight Show and the whole family Joey him, I didn't even put that together.
Speaker 1: Well, the whole family except for Michelle.
Speaker 2: Well, wasn't Johnny, wasn't Jemmy Jimmy Fallon? He was Michelle in the pencil bed, Yes, yes, he was playing the role with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while Michelle's like, look, I've heard enough out of his family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michelle still healing her trauma.
Speaker 1: Had been everyone's therapist for long enough. But yeah, we we went on uh when on the Tonight show So I did, which was so amazing and so fun, and this.
Speaker 2: Showcase David talents so well. My only note is I feel like we've kind of done this episode before in season one with businessman Joey with the Philistiller episode, I feel like that he was also having a crisis of his career crisis.
Speaker 1: Well, but but Jesse's also had this moment.
Speaker 2: A couple of true, very true.
Speaker 1: I feel like the guys kind of like every few seasons there's kind of this moment. The only one I really feel like, never well at least that I remember, But again I have not seen the show. I don't think Danny ever had like a crisis of like, oh, wake up San Francisco, what am I doing with my life? He was usually pretty okay, but it consistently. I feel like Jesse and Joey definitely throughout the seasons had a lot of like what am I doing? And then they would change careers and then they would start an ad agency.
Speaker 2: I do wish we could see more. I want to see some another side of Joey, not just Joey finding finding a date or Joey you know, figuring out his career, Like, let's get some more, let's involve him a little bit more.
Speaker 1: But I do feel that Joey uh in some ways was a little one dimensional, which although which gives me a lot of hope because I think in season three, not too long from this one, we have Joey as the honeybeemm.
Speaker 2: Oh is that coming up? Okay? Cool?
Speaker 1: I think that comes up in the third season, and so that's a bit great where we get to definitely see another side of Joey. So we'll see more. But you're right, we do. It's it's he doesn't get a lot of his only life outside of the house is like comedy club, right, or being tied to Justin, which I guess again it comes that you have to do that, like you don't show everyone's life, you show little slices of life.
Speaker 2: But well, we had a big cast too, like the house was very full, so the writers had a hard job writing for each giving each character their moment, and they're kept adding more. Yeah, it never stopped getting fuller and fuller, like we.
Speaker 1: Were like mob wise, you just fed us after midnight and there were more of us.
Speaker 2: We got to talk about the everwherey look moments?
Speaker 1: Did you have an everywhere you look moment? Oh?
Speaker 2: God, yes, like major Oneska, did you? I assumed you have the same ones.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I, I had a bit of a panic this morning after realizing I.
Speaker 2: Had almost watched the episode.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you then, so let me let me tell yeah, let me please tell me because I look, I think there are a couple that I that I remember, but it's all in the star Search audience.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 1: That was just like oh yeah, yeah, I think that was where I didn't see a lot of people, but I was not.
Speaker 2: I had to pause it and like walk because I can't say I had to walk up to my TV and like look and pause because it is quick and so it's really hard to catch, right I did it. I pause specifical because I'm like, I'm gonna have to find it everywhere he looks so sitting behind you guys.
Speaker 1: So maybe so maybe I'm wrong. We did not then if it's a bunch of our people in the.
Speaker 2: Not everybody, not every there's only a few, but still there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of our people in the audience. Then I would think that maybe we didn't just jump in on a taping it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of it that I didn't recognize too, So it could have been you know.
Speaker 1: We got the could have been like those two rows for that well, and it could have been our people in the back when we're getting close.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, oh, that's exactly what is sitting by. Oh so sitting behind you is Bridget and Melissa Cameron DJ Candice's sisters. But Bridget kind of moves around like she's in this section at one point and then she's in a different section. So they used her. They used her a lot. I think Janice is there. I couldn't tell. Janie was always like on the edge of the frame, but I swear because she hated to.
Speaker 1: Be on camera more than any Like as much as I'm like, yeah, sure, this is easy, like whatever, she's like, please hide me, please don't please, don't make me go in front of the camera, she'd always be like, is Sherry doing it? Usually it was if Sherry's doing it and Barbara's doing it, or at least if Sherry's doing it. My mom would get roped. It fine, I'll do it, but I want to be on the edge. So she'd always tell our stage managers like, put me on the very edge. I don't like, cut me out if you can, I only I don't want to see much of me, like an ear is fine. So yeah, I seem to remember after my mom having her one line that that episode in like season one or two, she was like, yeah, no, done, I don't never want to do that again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she that explains why she is literally like literally her her face is cut in half. That's why I was like, Yeah, she was probably like thrilled.
Speaker 1: She was arob like great, leave, yeah, just I'll be a body here, but please don't get me involved in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then the last the last ever where you look, I did notice that Christian Alfonso was one of the judges. I spotted her right away.
Speaker 1: But which that's what makes me think that they were already shooting an episode because they would have oh judges, and the fact that she was there and not credited makes me feel like we didn't pay her to be on the show. That's why she just happened to have gotten maybe in the you know, what I mean. That was kind of how what I felt about it.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense. Okay, I bet you that's it. I bet you that's it. But you know who's next to her, and I didn't. I didn't catch it until my second rewatch. Jeff Jeff Franklin.
Speaker 1: Is the other judge. Oh my god, yes, oh yes, split second. I can't believe I didn't know. It's a split second thing set up.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't catch it the first time, only on the second rewatch when I freeze framed every single frame.
Speaker 1: Jeff is Has he been on the show rarely?
Speaker 2: He rarely is on on the show because he's too busy running.
Speaker 1: She heard his voice? Did we not hear his voice? In one? We did one thing as an announcer or stage manager that we heard his voice?
Speaker 2: We did, yes, But.
Speaker 1: Other than that, he's he's been name only. We've never seen him on the show. Yep.
Speaker 2: And this is one of the rare times.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: You see Jeff, but don't blink because you'll miss it. But he's sitting just to the right of Christian Alfonso. I was like, oh my god. It was a very exciting moment for me.
Speaker 1: So get yourself in there, Jeff, oh, Jeff, write yourself apart and.
Speaker 2: Get a credit either.
Speaker 1: Also, I was gonna say also uncredited, so that's that's his all.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was This was so fun, such a classic episode that people remember.
Speaker 1: For a second. When I started watching, I was like, oh my gosh, Star Search. For some reason, the Star Search episode and the Wayne Newton Vegas episode started to morph together for me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, which I.
Speaker 1: Think may eventually something like I know that eventually we go to Vegas and Joey plays Way Newton, isn't it. I feel like it's something I don't know. For some reason, I had it tied that like it came about from Joey being on Star Search, so maybe it's referenced like hey I saw you on Star Search and blah blah blah. I don't know. I could be making things up like the X Files Full House show, but who knows. I always confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a fabulous Ali Baba Casino with the the Way Newton was a Vegas.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of people confuse Reno and Vegas and then they go to Reno and they go, this is not Vegas. Yes, And it's usually pretty clear at that point, but yeah, I because I have a great story for the Vegas one.
Speaker 2: Oh I can't wait, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yay, Yeah, Okay. I don't know what season that, but this was this brought back memories of watching Star Search with my family. I loved it and four Stars and like the whole the spokes models, everything on the screen said, you know, Joey Gladstone. I'm like, yes, but yeah, I loved I loved Star Search. I loved this episode. And it was fun to see Dave do a bit of his stand up, like when he was on stage doing his Star Search thing that was Dave's stand up and you could kind of tell his rhythm was a little different doing stand up, Like it wasn't his full house show scripted, but it was, you know, it was his bits of his set. He's always done the clean guy comedy stuff. He's always done a lot of like very family friendly comedy.
Speaker 2: Stuff, very opposite of.
Speaker 1: Right, very right. Went one way and he went two forks in the road, and uh, it was just cool to see Dave like do his to kind of shine as himself there.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm so out of him and I'm just I love Dave so much and he just shine this episode.
Speaker 1: I don't know how Steve Odekirk one with these four.
Speaker 2: Arms flailing around right, although.
Speaker 1: I do feel like that was in a spina, was it not? Didn't he do some weird thing with his arms or like flas them around his Jim Carrey is like a great yeah. So I'm just saying so that that originated on the Sticarge episode of Full House.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, I love it.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Jim Carrey would have auditioned for Joey Gladstone. You imagine that.
Speaker 2: That would have been unhinged. That would have been so I mean, it would have been a different show again, but he would have been even even more unhinged?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 1: Because I was a huge in Living Color fan? You were oh yeah, oh probably a young age when I most of the jokes went over my head again, But yeah, so cool David du Coveney, Jim Carrey and uh yeah, we can.
Speaker 2: Also are we recasting?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like who else do we want to just like start making it? That's that's there we go, there's a there's a fun mini. So that's one of our next minisotes is who who would we? Did we do? This, who would we see here I go? Who would we recast?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Okay, if if if David du Coveney, who was he?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then who? And then Jim Carrey was Joey. So let's recast the whole who plays who? I love this idea with random stars from around then who were maybe starting their careers or were well established.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do That'd be a really fun one. Okay, let's do it. Okay.
Speaker 1: Maddy Moore Matty ourducer, amazing producer.
Speaker 2: Just said gay, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm I'm so happy I came up with a minisota idea. That's it. I'm not okay, I'm done for six months. Yeah, thank you guys so much for listening to our unhinged rambling. Uh ridiculousness. We have too much fun. Really, we would do.
Speaker 2: This if no one was right, we would just keep doing this. This is us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we do this with Actually, every show that we watch, we just review it and we record ourselves talking about it and uh and Eric to no one. So yeah, yes, these are the files. Is next that's our next show that we're.
Speaker 2: Gonnah, well this is this is This podcast is like one big blooper reel, like, honestly, this is just we don't cut things out like this is just.
Speaker 1: Podcast my life. That's my life is just a big just It's segments of meat, tripping over things that aren't there, losing my keys, and making jokes out of horribly maybe unfunny things. That's I mean. My life is a blue pet. It is great, especially this week. It's going well. Anyway, fan of Rito's, we love you. Thank you for listening. We hope that you enjoy our craziness as much as we do, because we're having a great We are if you couldn't tell. But if you guys want to follow more of our unhingedness, no, if you guys want to follow us on social media, where we're actually pretty well put together, you can follow us at how Rude podcast, or you can send us an email at Howard podcast at gmail dot com. Make sure that wherever you're listening to the show, that you are liking and subscribing to it so that you can make sure and get all of our ridiculous ramblings as soon as they come out, so that you two can wonder what is us? You can write, You can write to Jana Sweet she'll yeah, she'll be like I have.
Speaker 2: Some notes dain notes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: But thank you guys so much for listening. We love you, We love you Fanarritos, and uh, I think I would give I would give our Fanaritos four stars. They get on stars, they get all the stars, they get all the stars, they get all the stars. Steve Odakirk's got nothing on you guys, so right, So.
Speaker 2: Just remember Oda fans have nothing on the fan Ritos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's our closing for that. Just remember the Oda fan.
Speaker 2: I think it's Oda fans.
Speaker 1: The Oda fans have nothing on the fan of Rito's boom. But the door is always open.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Watch out.
Speaker 2: I'm making a new bracelet right now.
Speaker 1: That was great. That was smooth as gott it.
Speaker 2: Hey, mix it up, you gotta mix it up. Keep these fan Aritos on their tooths.