Speaker 1: Navy Federal has a mission to put its members first by making their financial goals the priority. Receive a lifetime of membership benefits to help you and your family accomplish your life missions like a full suite of financial products designed to fit your needs, twenty four to seven, live support, and access to over three hundred branches on or near military bases. Visit Navy Federal dot org for more information or call one eighty eight eight four two six three two eight, or download the Navy Federal Credit Union app. Message in data rates who may apply.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Solid Verbal I'll that for me.
Speaker 3: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 4: You want to be happy?
Speaker 2: For day at the State?
Speaker 1: Is that? Whoom?
Speaker 4: Whoom?
Speaker 2: And now down and tie.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Solid Rebel boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildenbrand, joining me as always over there in beautiful New York City. My man Dan Rubinstein, sir, how are you tie?
Speaker 2: Like ed Orzron? I am tired. I feel disheartened at certain things. Yeah, but ultimately I'm resolute and inexplicably still covered in gatorade.
Speaker 1: We're a little bit tired, Dan, are we not. It was a late night, not just because of the in my case Notre Dame game, the Notre Dame win over USC, which we'll get into and winding down from that game, but then also I get back to the house because I watched with Mama aged and solid wife, and lay down in bed ready to turn in for the evening. Another successful day of college football week thirteen. By the way, we been a while since I played that sound, but yes, as we kind of get towards the end of November here and particularly on Thanksgiving weekend, need to play it. Anyway. I'm laying in bed, ready to turn in for the night. Another successful college football weekend. And then I look at my phone, and I look at Twitter coming alive at the prospect of septuple overtime. That's seven overtimes in the LSU Texas A and M game. A and M eventually did end up winning that football game seventy four to seventy two. We'll get into that as well. But a little bit of a later night for us old goats here.
Speaker 2: It was, indeed, ty, it was indeed. I think we are better for the wear. I don't think we're worse for the wear. But we've got a lot to run down. And luckily I was fortifying my brain with what was what four days, three and a half days of college football weirdness. So I am, I am strengthened, and I'm ready.
Speaker 1: You are correct. Why don't we start here where we always do on a Sunday. Let's get into your week thirteen, your rivalry week, your Thanksgiving Day week, reverbs.
Speaker 4: Have a listen, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim. I'm not mad, Jim, I'm just disappointed. He this is where calling from the horse roop.
Speaker 1: Hi, this is Adreams from New York City.
Speaker 4: Hey, everyone, Bourballer's world at Large. Alex from Shanghai calling Patty. This is Sarah from Houston.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 5: Jim Harbaugh is a dork and he will never ever be Ohio State.
Speaker 4: What was your favorite Michigan run up the middle for no game?
Speaker 3: Summarizing Ern Myers press conference, it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken fo Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm a Michigan State fan, Okay, I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Hang up now.
Speaker 3: As a Hawkeye fan living in Lincoln, Nebraska, I just want to take some time to reflect on this Nebraska finishes four and eight.
Speaker 4: God, that feels good to say that this.
Speaker 2: Is Michael and Madison.
Speaker 1: Let it be known that nobody beats Minnesota sixteen times.
Speaker 4: In a row, which it looks like for the second year in a row.
Speaker 2: I like Indiana is going to be able to save the day for a ball game.
Speaker 5: If you took the under in the OU West Virginia game, number one, what were you thinking? And number two, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: And then like to report the entire West Virginia offense today losing effort. Do you think that the long worn defense knows that there's four quarters in a football game? Do you do you think they know that they're wie up on the pollute? At any moment, the yetti will walk onto the field of the Washington Warston Safety game because it's beginning to look more and more like a natural habitat.
Speaker 3: It was a rough night for Washington State. Not only did they eliminate themselves from playoff contention this year, but they disqualified themselves from participation in the twenty twenty two Beijing Winter Olympic.
Speaker 4: Oh the weather outside is frightful and Miles Gaska looks so delightful four oh eight in the West.
Speaker 5: Coast, and the location of the Territorial Cup is still in Tempe, Arizona, Utah.
Speaker 4: Youth's offense is why I have trust issues.
Speaker 1: The Notre Dame fighting Iris have fulled off victory and the last possible second, as I was afraid this game would go.
Speaker 4: I congratulates this to the USC for playing an out.
Speaker 1: Of the ball game, and that game might have been garbage, But holy Notre Dame is going to the playoffs, and I don't know what to do with my head. I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: My hockey stole one from the law.
Speaker 1: Who's good Greek for a game.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what it's going to take to get the common wealth back in Charlotte'sville anymore. They're the better team, everything's in their favor, and they still find a way to lose. You guys are great, alburn Sun. The all time I'd like to afford a crime I'm here between the head is when someone just got murdered. You know it's rivalry week. You can throw out those records and throw out those players in the egg bowl, because.
Speaker 1: Wow, there was a fight, and my aggis are about to go into seventh over time, and then I really want to win and.
Speaker 4: Beat those Tigers. I really just want to go to bed. They're finally over seven overtimes. Thank god. After the seven overtime game in college station. I'm very grateful for college football. Just left Caylefield and I don't smoke, but I need me a cigarette after that. You're twenty eighteen l Street Tigers just played in the high school in the FBS history. So there's that. Just calling to find out how to mark myself safe on Facebook after surviving this Texas A and MLSU game.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, there you go, a lot of messages. Yes, came through last night. Hats off to our boy Tooler down there in DC doing yeomen's work cutting all those up, mashing them together into our fine segment that we'd like to call the Reverbs again. Thank you for calling in four we eight verbal one. The WNE will be open next weekend as well, and if you don't get through or don't want to call in, you can always find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, all usual hotspots. Just send us an email. Soliverbal at gmail dot com, Dan OKAKATAVOMMI.
Speaker 2: This week with those reverbs that indescribable fifth flavor tie.
Speaker 1: That's right. So here is the state of affairs through thirteen weeks of the season. Number one, number two, and number three Alabama, Clemson and Notre Dame all one. Michigan number four lost in blowout fashion, which we'll start with here. Lsu I mentioned the overtime loss, and also Wazoo, who was eight. They lost in the Apple Cup UCF one. They were ninth, but they lost Mackenzie Milton to a really bad knee injury. Hopefully he recovers quickly from that. And then everyone else in the top ten one, which means Georgia probably moves up to fourth, Oklahoma probably to fifth, and I would assume Ohio State now to number six. So we can get into how all of that works together here as it relates to the playoff as we go through all of our recaps, but a couple teams three to be exact in the top ten all go down in rivalry week.
Speaker 2: Yes, and if nothing else, this week really did stamp the fact that there is no real upper middle class college football this year. We've got the top of the top and then we've got pretty good. But looking at Florida's going to be a top ten team. Texas is going to be borderline top ten, Kentucky's going to be borderline top ten. This is a it's just a there's a gap. This was the gap year tie.
Speaker 1: This was the gap year. Let's start though with the game. Who just got murdered? Ohio State sixty two, Michigan thirty nine. The only good news for Michigan.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm ready for this.
Speaker 1: Desmon Howard moved them up to second in his polls.
Speaker 2: What can you hear?
Speaker 1: Desmon Howard's argument on game day? Well, this was before the game, Before the game. Yeah, I was telling a joke, Dan, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He had nailed it. You got me. I thought he did it after the fact. Where it's Ohio State one, Michigan two.
Speaker 1: I mean he might. I heard his argument on game day yesterday. It's not beyond the realm of possible.
Speaker 2: I honestly didn't. What did he say.
Speaker 1: He made the same argument you did about Michigan potentially jumping Notre Dame, but he did a much poorer job of it.
Speaker 2: I would like to recant upon for the review my stance that Michigan should be ahead of Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Here is the bad news for Michigan. In addition to the fact that they lost and gave up sixty two points and five one hundred and sixty seven yards, they're now zero to four in the Jim Harbaugh era against Ohio State. So, I know, we make a parody of the does X have a Y problem?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You probably could make a decent case at this point that Michigan does have a legit Ohio State problem.
Speaker 2: I mean, they have probably deeper problems than that, which is very strange to say. And we can talk about this game specifically within the context of that statement that I just made. But Michigan had a very good year. Yeah, they did, had a very very good year. And if you haven't read the piece, and I speak to you, and I speak to anybody listening by, I think it's Mike Rosenberg at SI about you know, Michigan looking inward, that they have done plenty to have entirely successful years in the Big Ten. They finished the season going what ten and two, with a lot of dominating victories over conference opponents, But they have their season book ended against Notre Dame and Ohio State, which, to be clear, these are playoff caliber teams that Michigan is not on a level to hang generate points consistently and adjust defensively against the very best, and that appears to be the Michigan Wolverine bar historically competing against the very best, competing against Ohio State, who they have not beaten in now what seven years, and they've lost fourteen to fifteen. So Michigan is at this weird inflection point where they need to figure out how to go from very good to great. Because this is a conversation we had after Notre Dame. They looked better after Notre Dame, but after yesterday, and to me, the story is still very much Ohio State's dominance rather than Michigan's lack thereofed agreed, but Michigan wise, it's that conversation that needs to happen internally because they looked on both sides of the field stubborn in struggling to keep up with what we saw to be capital g great Ohio State, which we have not seen terribly often this year. We have not know but when Ohio State is playing on that level where they're getting the ball to speed, where they are trusting Dwayne Haskins and making him comfortable and defensively attacking and making plays in the open field. This is a team that once again looks to be playoff caliber and ready to be shut.
Speaker 1: Out in the playf.
Speaker 2: Dwayne has that was that was mean, But I do I do credit Ohio State because they looked excellent in every phase, including special teams. Chris o'lave yes was the one who has worked his way into the receiver rotation. Also had that that punt block that went for a touchdown early on that really opened the game up for the Black Eyes. You can't say enough good things about the degree to which Ohio State pulverized whatever setting you prefer on a blender tie right.
Speaker 1: Well, So Dwayne Haskins, by the way, three eighteen through the year, five touchdowns, he sets a Big Ten record for passing touchdowns in the season with forty one. So, by the way, Drew.
Speaker 2: Brees thirty nine in thirteen games. So Dwayne Haskins actually did it.
Speaker 1: Quicker, Yeah, I mean Dwayne Haskins. How quickly we forget that this was his first full season as a starting quarterback, So clearly they've caught some lightning in a bottle here with him. We saw flashes of it last year in spots when he would come in, but Haskins has had an incredible season. Ohio State's real liability at this point is their defense. But nonetheless, sixty two to thirty nine, they take it to Michigan. They are now headed to the Big Ten Championship game. Next week. They will square off against the Northwestern Wildcats, who won twenty four to sixteen over Illinois Yep. Isaiah Bowser had another good game on the ground eighteen carries one hundred and sixty six yards. I am very curious to see how that game plays out. With the way that Ohio State has looked on offense, I think the natural assumption is that they'd go out there and they blow the doors off Northwestern. But what we've seen from Northwestern time and time again is these games where it looks like they're overmatched, they just don't end up being overmatched. They find a way to keep the game close. And at least as of now, I haven't seen a spread or anything yet because it's early on a Sunday, My assumption would be that they'd find a way to keep that one close.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, that makes sense in a terrific season, from Northwestern, who clinched the West a couple weeks ago now, and I mean, we're not going to belabor anything with the Illinois game, but I think that's right. Northwestern has come to play against the best teams on their schedule and not necessarily acron but against playoff caliber teams in Notre Dame unless home Michigan, Northwestern has made plays consistently, especially on defense.
Speaker 1: So there you go. There's your Big Ten championship. The way it is setting up Ohio State against Northwestern, Michigan had a shot. They had a shot. They had to win two games. They could have made it to the playoff. Quite frankly, I'm disappointed that they didn't. I know, we make fun of Michigan here and there, but a good season. I really wish it would have worked out for them.
Speaker 2: It'll be a serious what it's Taylor Twelman who had the rants after US national team. What are we even doing? Yeah, that will be the off season for Michigan, you know, depending on what happens with the bowl game. And they could still go to the Rose Bowl and win the Rose Bowl and go eleven and two. That's not the worst thing in the world. Great season, but these past twenty four forty eight hours whatever, and this week will be what are we even doing for Michigan fans.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma fifty nine, West Virginia fifty six West Virginia. Yeah, on Friday, West Virginia had over seven hundred total yards and lost. As you can tell from the final score, as you could tell from just West Virginia's yard total. Oklahoma didn't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of defense, but they did score two defensive touchdowns, which were absolutely enormous in this game. I was thinking about this all weekend. You know, the one matchup, well, one playoff matchup outside of you know, my team, Notre Dame and whoever they have to play, But the one playoff matchup that hypothetically could happen that intrigues me to no end is Oklahoma against Alabama. Of course, I feel like I turned a corner with this Oklahoma defense. Now, they're not good, they're not good, They're aggressively not good. Yeah, we're under no illusions here that the Oklahoma defense is any good. But when you change the framing of that point a little bit, if we treat their lack of defense as more of a stylistic decision and less of a real deficiency. It's a lot easier to just manage that mentally. And all of a sudden it shifts from Wow, Oklahoma's defense really stinks to oh, Oklahoma, they don't play defense. That's just how they win football games, right, that is how they won this football game fifty nine to fifty six. A ton of points, a lot of fun almost annoyingly offensive in this football game, like there was just no defense whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's right. And you know, I obviously, and I was tweeting about this come down on the side of I much prefer this, at least to the hopelessness that is nine to six football. That's my personal decision.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 2: College football is largely a TV sport living in New York, so that's the lens through which I view it. And listen, Oklahoma, listen, I'm so sorry. Yes, Oklahoma plays a defense, not unlike what a lot of teams who are actually incredibly successful on offense are forced into doing because they score such a big problem to have too quickly, right, and that defense has to say on the field a long time. Oklahoma plays a wait for it, defense where they just have to fit figure out some spots where they have to take chances, go for turnovers, blitz all out, or you know, jump routes to try to force turnovers and flip the course of the game. It worked against West Virginia, it hasn't worked so well in past games, but they've still managed to pull out all but the Texas game, which they also almost pulled out against West Virginia. Specifically, you know, West Virginia didn't make those way for it plays and Oklahoma did. And I also would point to the huge I think it was fourth and five. I want to say Oklahoma decides to go for it, West Virginia rushes how many they rush?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 2: They rush three? Kyler Murray buys himself enough time and basically ices the game in that moment. But to me an incredible watch for most of this I would have preferred forty five forty two instead of fifty nine fifty, so a little bit more just West Virginia coming up with a pick six something like that to really stem everything. But ultimately it's been a crazy pleasure watching Kyler Murray, Willgrier, their assortment of receivers and running backs all season long, and the game delivered what it sort of promised to do.
Speaker 1: Just getting back to my earlier point, Oklahoma might need to score eighty If they play Alabama, they wouldn't score eighty, but in order to win that game, they might have to. I just think it's such an interesting clash of styles and yeah, very clearly the best offense in college football Oklahoma up against an Alabama team, a defending national champion. Again, this is all hypothetical, but I think that's the matchup that I would be most interested in watching.
Speaker 2: But look at the defense as they're playing pop. Yes, that would be crazy interesting because of the mind of Lincoln Riley against Nick Saban's defense. And I don't believe Oklahoma's receivers are all that big, which has been part of the formula to competing with Alabama. But I listen, this is what twenty eighteen has done to stop Hollywood Brown. Not much.
Speaker 1: Nope, not much much. Okay, Oklahoma is going to get a chance to avenge their earlier loss to Texas when they played next week in the Big Twelve Championship. Meanwhile, West Virginia they finished eight and three. They had a game against NC State earlier in the year. You might Remember that was canceled due to weather, so they are effectively done at eight and three. A good year for the Mountaineers, but just couldn't get over the hump here ran into a buzz saw against Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Texas, by the way, did win their game against Kansas. Now, the final score was twenty four to seventeen. You look at that and at first blush, you're like, Wow, held on, whoa, what's that about. Kansas scored all seventeen of their points in the fourth quarter, so Texas had the Jayhawks at arms length for a good chunk of this football game. You look at the box score, nothing jumps out at youth. Statistically, not a whole lot to report here. I think we expected as much. But Texas does formally knock off the Jayhawks twenty four to seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the takeaways to me, sam Ellinger's shoulder does not look anywhere near one hundred percent and little sloppy and careless with the ball, which he has not been basically since the Maryland loss to open the season. I don't know how much of a concern that is against Oklahoma's defense, but when Texas is at its best, it's Sam Ellinger doing nothing but willing this team and making plays to get them in the win column. I'm concerned about Texas's ability to close, which has been the concern all season long, and they managed to barely hold on against Oklahoma. We'll see if that formula stays intact in I believe the games at Jerry World in Arlington.
Speaker 1: Texas, Oklahoma, Red River Shootout Port duh, we'll decide the Big twelve. Let's move over to the SEC. Alabama fifty two Auburn twenty one. This game, Dan, it was just seventeen to fourteen at half. Auburn looking a little frisky, I thought, in the first half, but then then Alabama outscored Auburn thirty five to seven in the second half. They were led, of course by Tou a tongue of Ailoa tongue. I did listen to some of this game on the Auburn Radio Network, where he is still tagavaloa okay, well, another media outlet that didn't get the memo, but nonetheless, to throws for three twenty four or five touchdowns no interceptions, was responsible for six touchdowns in total, which was a school record. In the second half, in particular, Tua was eleven for twelve for two hundred and eight yards and four touchdowns. Alabama really turned on the jets when they had to. They gave Auburn a half, but then just in the second half, they pulled away InStyle, a bunch of big time throws from Tua, longer touchdown throws that asserted Alabama's dominance here as they complete their perfect regular season. And now we'll move on to the SEC title game.
Speaker 2: If there were if there was any one play that was that small microcosm for this game, it was when Auburn went for I believe a fake punt and Patrick Sirtan junior, the freshman corner for Alabama, stopped it just a yard short with no momentum on Auburn's side. It was impressive to watch Alabama open up this game. Toua was in no chakra at all, outstanding six total touchdowns. Auburn was sort of I don't want to say they were junk balling their way to a close game in the first half, but it was end rounds. It was trick plays and if that's what you need, it's just that's hard to sustain against Alabama for four quarters. I don't know who wins the Heisman. I just know there is no quarterback more excellent than what Tua looks like at his best. That's just sort of a reality. I thought Alabama did a marvelous job a sting in the second half.
Speaker 1: Alabama again, twelve and zero, Auburn seven and five. Kind of a disappointing year for Auburn. The way they started out, I thought, sure, gave us a little bit more promise about the direction of this season, but the offense never really came together the way they hoped. And you know, you run into a team like Alabama, it's tough to win the Iron Bowl. Here they finished again seven and five. Alabama will square off against Georgia in the SEC title game. Is going to be a rematch of last year's national title game, which went to overtime. Look, we talk a lot about Georgia and how they soveed their opponents. Yeah, this game against Georgia Tech, the clean, old fashioned hate game, was like deep frying a turkey, but not like the correct way when you completely thaw the turkey out. They just dropped them in the oil. They were frozen, and you had the flame shooting out like the ones that start fires. And stuff. That was what happened in this game. Because it was over at halftime. I think Georgia led thirty five to seven something like that. They eventually go on to win forty five to twenty one. Just a thorough dressed down of Georgia Tech.
Speaker 2: Correct. The score is not indicative of the level of dominance that Georgia exhibited. They ran all over them. Jake fromm was outstanding throwing all over them. Justin Fields comes in and takes the lion's share of work in the second half, and Georgia wins in Athens for the first time since twenty twelve against Tech and look are looking out to defend their SEC title against Alabama. So rematch of the national championship game. And congratulations to Alabama for winning the SEC West for a record one straight years time one straight years. That's gonna be a great game.
Speaker 1: If you didn't watch the Georgia Georgia Tech game, the only stat that you need to know the stat that tells you everything about what happened in this game. Knowing that Texas option team Georgia Tech rushed forty six times for just one hundred and twenty eight yards, that is two point eight yards per carry. They had just two nineteen in total. When the ground game is that ineffective for the Yellow Jackets, you sort of know the end result. You know, you need to see the score. You know the way that things are going to go. So again, forty five to twenty one. Year final, it's going to be Georgia and Alabama in the SEC title game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at Georgia front that has struggled at times against the run this year, game plan very nicely against Tech.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, let's move over if we could to the ACC. Let's we had the Palmeto Bowl. We had a contest between Clemson and South Carolina, fifty six to thirty five. Your final score here in favor of the Tigers. Ninety one total points, thirteen hundred and forty four total yards, Dan, Jake Bentley for South Carolina, get this, five hundred and ten passing yards, five touchdowns, but in a losing effort.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I just want to give credit here to South Carolina because, as we mentioned on our Homer Show, the Homer Show I did anyway with Larry Williams from Tiger illustrated, so many South Carolina fans were just kind of hopeless head into this game. Yeah, nobody told the football team they actually played really, really hard in this one. Again, it's just an instance where they ran into an offensive buzzsaw in Clemson that was virtually unstoppable.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. And we pay a lot of attention collectively to Clemson's defensive line rightfully so, but offensively, this line is experienced, protected Trevor Lawrence all season long, opened up running lanes another big game for Travis DTN and Clemson's offense this season has pretty much been the mark of consistency. I mean, it's just been the example for this kind of offense and working in different types of players. They do it against South Carolina. The big difference is and we looked at that early on Kendrick Rodgers in Texas A and M succeeding against this Clemson secondary and maybe like, okay, it's early on, they're just they're getting their feet. It's a tough place to play. Clemson secondary is not looking wonderful. No against decent quarterbacks this year. There have been issues, and a lot of it can be covered up by a pretty ridiculous pass rush. But Jake Bentley had time Deebo Samuel got loose a bunch, there were lanes. There was confusion on Clemson's defense. This was to me uncharacteristic of a defense that coming into this game, there was a pretty decent argument to be made that they were the best in the country. I don't know that that argument can be made. But with a lot of time, I don't think they're gonna have trouble with Pitt. But with a lot of time before the playoff, I imagine that's a huge advantage for Brent Venables and his staff. I would get things sorted out, sorted out scheme and teaching wise.
Speaker 1: It was interesting to watch Clemson win this way though. You know, like in most of the games, their defense is suffocating you and then the offense just crock pots you very quietly. In this one, Clemson got that cast iron skillet, nice and hot, and they just steered the crap out of South Carolina the whole game on offense. Trevor Lawrence three ninety three through the air, you mentioned Travis etn The only thing that I will point out here just for South Carolina on the defensive side of the ball, it does not help how banged up they are along the defensive line. I mean, that really works against you, especially against a good offense like Clemson. But I don't know if that would have changed the equation at all, because Clemson is so good with the football. They finished twelve to zero. They're going to face pit in the ACC Championship game next week. We'll talk about Pitt momentarily. South Carolina has one more game next week. If they win against Akron, that will get them to seven to five.
Speaker 2: And a good year, by the way for South Carolina in terms of and you mentioned this at the beginning of the game, playing hard, oh with fight. They haven't played they haven't been comfortably beaten since I think the Georgia game. Really, I mean they they've played every game close either way since late September early October. So playing hard for this staff and encouraging this set up to be a pretty ideal year to perhaps win more than seven if they're able to get by Akron. But all things considered, a really good showing. There's no such thing really as a moral victory. But if you're a South Carolina fan sort of resigned to the fact that they were going to lose to Clemson, you at least have to be encouraged.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Pitt, Clemson's opponent in next week's ACC Championship game, lost twenty four to three. Yes, they did to Miami. Miami gave up get this, just two hundred yards. They held Pit to one for fifteen on third downs. They forced twelve twelve punts, had six sacks and fourteen tackles for loss. So clearly a robust defensive showing for the Hurricanes here their final game of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've been really good all year long. They've just been let down by an offense. I think coming into this game they were a top fifteen or so S and P plus defense, and I would considering the degree of difficulty with how messed up that offense has looked, particularly in second halves of games, unable to adjust and able to get into the end zone. This defense has had more of an uphill battle than most and came through in a big way. Worked in concert with an offense, finally with their offense, finally against Pitt. Who who knows. Maybe they're sort of shutting it down creatively ahead of the ACC Championship game. But good for Miami four not going into the offseason without at least partially riding the ship after the middle part of their schedule.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so again, Clemson the pit next week. I believe they played that one where Charlotte.
Speaker 2: They played in Charlotte. Should also point out Nikosy Perry was six of twenty four in obeying efforts. Okay, okay, but DJ Dallas and Travis Homer were very, very good.
Speaker 1: Let's move over to the Apple Cup. They played it on Friday night, Washington twenty eight Washington State fifteen. With this victory now by Washington, I believe it's safe to say that the Pac twelve has officially cannibalized itself. The cannibalization was complete upon conclusion of this football game. A great quote from Jake Browning after it was over quote, I've heard it sucks to lose to the Koogs. I'm glad I didn't have to experience it. Burn Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is five in a row for chrispy Terson over Mike Leach. Is my math correct?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 2: I hope so tasting menu and I guess it ended in ice cream as as uh. Yeah, as the Koogs go down in the snow, and it is somewhat easy to say, well, it's snowing and that, you know, really slows down the passing game and the air raid for for Gardner Minshew and Washington State, Jick Browning threw the ball pretty well and that pretty good.
Speaker 1: I though, snow, and it's hard to I want to undersell the snow. It was hard enough and covered enough out there that the production crew had to break out those computer generated yard markers, which I still love.
Speaker 2: That's so much.
Speaker 1: I still don't understand how they do it. But I watched it with the solid wife and she looked over at me and said, wait, the players can't see those, can they No, it's all white out there.
Speaker 2: So they they if you want to get nerdy with it, they do digitally map out the field before the games, and that's how they put the first down yellow marker out there. But they map out the entire field, so there is a digital field overlaid onto the actual field in the production truck. It's pretty neat stuff. Speaking of neat stuff, though, ooh that Washington State offense. Yeah, they were shut down. Washington State's defense was all over the place. It was nice to see. I think this is Miles Gaskin's fourth straight year going for a thousand yards something like pretty great.
Speaker 1: He had a really good game the combty and I said this on the preview, not to beat my own chest, but I think we knew we both knew it. Washington had an opportunity in this football game to take advantage on the ground, and that's.
Speaker 2: What they did.
Speaker 1: Miles Gaskin savon Ahmed they combined thirty eight carries two hundred and fifty seven yards gasket at three touchdowns. He was the best player in the field in this game, sure, and I mean the return really, I mean he was hurt most of the year of Hunter Bryant. The Washington tight end I think opened things up for their offense. And the story to me ultimately is some squadered opportunities for Washington State. But Gardner Minshew just looked completely out of his element, and Washington was. They were sharp. The Huskies were sharp, which they most certainly have not been this year on the road. But I guess they saved the best for last and take on Utah in Santa Clara Santa Claire believe that's the suburb of San Francisco in the PAC twelve championship game. Once again, Washington self finds itself there after not playing the game last year, So good for the Huskies to close it out strong. And did you see the Jimmy Lake quotes? If you're going to talk about quotes, Oh yeah, go ahead. The Washington defense of course fires ups. He was fired up, saying justya hey, Washington State never changes what they do. This is sort of routine for us.
Speaker 2: I'm paraphrasing here, and you know, I heard their head coach is sort of a different kind of guy, but he's not really doing anything different than we normally see from them every year. Hope he stays there for a long time. Nice, nice, wow, And listen, that's that's harsh. That is arrogant, and it is all deserved.
Speaker 1: It's all very deserved. Yeah again, Washingtons. They are now headed to the PAC twelve Championship game next week against Utah. Wazoo finishes I think with a pretty successful ten and two mark, but obviously didn't get to their final goal. One other point here before moving on to the Holy War. Just want to send our best to the Washington band. Did you see this story? Super duper scary? Oh so they didn't play at the Apple Cup. They didn't play because one of their buses rolled over on the way to the game. Forty seven people take it to the hospital. Looks like everyone's going to be okay, but scary stuff.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: We send them the best, hope everything, hope everyone recovers quickly. That is a scary state of affairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no serious injuries. I saw the Washington State band learned the UDUB fight song. Cool, cool gesture and show of appreciation for a pretty I mean lucky event. Ultimately that nothing terrible happened, and I don't have much more to add. It was cool to see the outcry. If you've ever driven in the Pacific Northwest when the weather turns, there are some treacherous, treacherous roads and driving ahead of you.
Speaker 1: Okay. Utah wins thirty five to twenty seven. The Utes were down twenty to nothing at half and then came back. They outscored BYU by a thirty five to seven margin in the second half, including twenty eight unanswered points in the final sixteen minutes of the game. Utah looked like crap across the board here. They couldn't stop the run, they couldn't move the ball on offense. They basically handed BYU fourteen points on special teams, but yet Jason Shelley, the backup quarterback, didn't have a great statistical night, but he was pretty clutch when it counted, had some big plays in the second half. Utah ultimately goes on to come from behind and win thirty five to twenty seven here to win the Holy War and finished nine to three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and good for Utah. I mean, yes, they totally laid an egg. I didn't watch a ton of this game, but from the chunks I saw, I've seen Jason Shelley, you know, coming in in a difficult situation with Huntley going down, having to play a chunk of the season against good teams. He's come through Zach Mosco's down. Shelley was counted on with his feet as well against BYU, and cool to see Utah finally breaking through and going to their first Pac twelve championship game. And BYU, it's a long ways since that Wisconsin game, but ultimately listen, BYU's Bowl eligible after a pretty disastrous twenty seventeen not the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 1: That is correct. BYU finishes six and six, So again, your Pack twelve championship game in Santa Clara will be the Washington Huskies against the utah Utes.
Speaker 2: That's Friday night. I believe Friday night.
Speaker 1: Correct. Okay, moving on the nightcap. Nice little backdoor cover.
Speaker 2: It wasn't very nice. I mean, USC scoring a second half touchdown was clean. They're all special, but I no, there's snowflakes there.
Speaker 1: The back door cover for USC was a nice little feather in my cap since I always take the points here. Okay, how much of this game did you watch?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 2: The entire thing, Tye?
Speaker 1: How did you feel emotionally about this game?
Speaker 2: For maybe even after the game tie, I came away thinking, Okay, Notre Dame won a clunker, and that's what you know, really good teams do. Because I thought the play calling, especially in the first half, was sort of confusing. Ian Book made some pretty arrant looking throws, but they came back a lot stronger in the second half. They looked to be more patient, They looked to not get overly eager on defense. As USC was moving the ball, they forced turnovers. I wasn't sure if that. I think it was Saint Brown who fumbled it and then sort of recovered it with his knees and had his hands on it. But the video wasn't good enough to overturn the FuMB ruling. I thought Notre Dame did a pretty good job. I was worried watching Notre Dame in the first half. I was like, why did they schedule this Syracuse gaman Yankee Stadium and give themselves two straight far away road names? I know, and it almost looked like they were going to be the reason that USC was going to win this game something stupid seventeen fourteen. It worries me about Notre Dame, but not as much as it encouraged me about the Irish. To win a game like this, they relied on chunk plays. It was the long dexter Williams. I think it was a run and then they had a screen later to was it Tony Jones.
Speaker 1: Jones Tony Jones Jr.
Speaker 2: So, situationally, Notre Dame comes through. I'd be a little bit worried if I were a Notre Dame fan about how flat they looked for a good amount of this game.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 2: But let's that's nitpicking.
Speaker 1: Let me jump in so you're right. Everything you're saying is correct. It was not Ian Book's cleanest game by any stretch. He had that really bad interception in the fourth quarter, the airmand a couple longer throws where he had guys open. But he was big when he had to be. And I'm thinking in particular, you know, a big third down run earlier in the game where the team is flat, the offense feels like the only guy playing is Chris Fink, and Book just drives his helmet through a defender to get the first down. He does stuff like that. There was a run later in the game on third down and I want to say twelve where it was a ballsy quarterback draw. He goes, he sort of high steps a defender and races across the first down line. He has an equality to him that I think is going to bode well for Notre Dame if they should find themselves in a situation like this moving forward. So, you know, again, not the greatest or cleanest game for him, but he made big plays when he had to and he was aided by a defense that progressively figured things out over the course of the game. For sure, this is a defense that was on its heels. In the first half. JT. Daniels was making a lot of quick throws over the middle the wider screen, stuff like that. Notre Dame could not generate any pressure until like the fourth quarter, but what they did do was create some turnovers. So you mentioned the one fumble, but there was another in the first half that stopped the USC offense from scoring more points. In the second half, USC was held mostly scoreless until their final drive punt punt turnover, on downs, punt punt touchdown. This has been the mo for the Notre Dame defense one team offense and the USC offense. Sure both teams entirely on brand. When an offense goes out there and seems to get the best of the Notre Dame defense, clark Lee is able to make the necessary adjustments to slow down that offense in short order and so the score. So the story has been for Notre Dame, if you want to score, you gotta score early because they're going to figure it out. And that was the case here. They eventually did tighten their vice gripts a little bit on that USC offense, things a bit more in check while the offense got going. This I tweeted this out, but this game reminded me a lot of the Pit game when Pitt blitz the farm against Notre Dame in the first half and took them out of rhythm. And you know, obviously the US he's got a little bit more firepower and really a game plan in this one on offense compared to Pitt. But all in all it works out well. Notre Dame finishes twelve and oh I believe Can we play the playoff sound for them?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: They were being a bit coy on the broadcast, like do you think Notre Dame's good enough to make the playoffs? If Notre Dame does not make the playoff, there will be wholly hell to pay and they're going to burn the system down. Notre Dame finishes twelve and zero. I believe with this w DAN, they are officially the first team to qualify for the twenty eighteen twenty nineteen college football Playoff.
Speaker 2: They absolutely will be in the playoff. There is no question in my mind. I don't know, you know that they will be a up two seed, but they will be in Clemson. Looks like if they're able to get by pit, which I imagine, they will be a little more vulnerable to somebody like Ian Book and the duo of its Claypool and Boycan are both big dudes who should be able to physically compete with anybody. Really good season for Notre Dame. It's an ideal season for Notre Dame with how that schedule shaped up, with USC and Virginia Tech and Florida State Stanford all having probably by their standards, pretty down years. But all Notre Dame can do is beat who's in front of them, and that's what they did. I'm I'm a little more worried about Notre Dame than I was after the Syracuse game. But USC is Okay, they're feisty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame finishes the year though, and this is the credit you mentioned, Clarkle. I think they've only given up twenty points four times a couple of those with sort of garbage time. They don't give up thirty all season long. So defense, nothing else. Notre Dame should one thousand percent be able to compete on defense with anybody in the country.
Speaker 1: USC, for their part, finishes up at five and seven. They needed this one to get the Bowl eligibility. They were flying banners over the stadium. I need to ask you which of the banners that you tweeted out were real and which were fake.
Speaker 2: None of them were real, Okay.
Speaker 1: I legitimately didn't know. I'm looking at our Twitter feed, think it will yeah, hired Jeff Fisher. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I found like the you know, the internet is a you know, it's a good and terrible place. I'm going to go through the fake banners, I tweeted. So there's a website and I will it's photos something if you just google like custom plane banner. Okay, there's a website. You just put in text and they'll spit out a pretty realistic looking plane banner flying behind a plane mid air and then you can't tell where it is, just sky and clouds. So the first one was and this all happened because USC fans are a very small select group of sad USC fans flew a Lynn Swan, please fire Clay Hilton. Then I generated USC hire Jeff Fisher exclamation, and then I tweeted out, and I figured people were going to understand. I tweeted out because I was watching with Richard Johnson. He told me, he's like, you should probably it looks too realistic. Tell people that it's fake. So then I tweeted out a plane carrying a banner that said easy to make fake banners.
Speaker 1: Right, and nobody caught on. I didn't catch on.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the next one I tweeted out was fire Helton, hire Petros, shout out Petros, papadaccus, you know, really keeping it in the USC family, USC Norm Chow, question Mark, Yeah, question Mark. And then I don't even know if I posted that one. I posted USC Norm Chow's ready, and then I tweeted out USC herm would listen. And it was fun and people believed it. Even when I said it was easy to make fake banners. That's that's not on me anymore.
Speaker 1: I believed it, and I own half of that Twitter account.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's very true. Either way, Ty, we're recording this. It's currently ten twenty two am Eastern Time. Clay Helton's job security is not known to me at least.
Speaker 1: Nope.
Speaker 2: My feeling is, if you get rid of him, I don't know who you really. I mean, if you think you if you're positive, you can hire James Franklin. I get it. I'm not blown away, but I get it.
Speaker 1: I don't think that'd be a good move. We could talk about, like, we could do a whole other podcast on what's a hit? What Isn't a fit, but.
Speaker 2: I would lean towards the USC keeping Clay Helton. He won the Pac twelve last year. It was undeniably a down disappointing year. I imagine he should have the opportunity to overhaul some of his coaching staff because we know his ceiling as a coach, at least with whoever's recruits, some of them his, some of them. Others is winning the Pac twelve when he has a really good quarterback like he did last year. I think it's a tough message to send that one down year again, definitely down, You're god. I don't know who USC thinks they can get if it's you know, Jack del Rey or Jeff Fisher or whoever that is going to want to be in that situation.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, interesting five and seven a disappointing year for US, But they did lose Sam Darnold from a year ago. Like there was some turnover there.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't as if they entered the season as a top five caliber team. So it wasn't.
Speaker 2: But it was a mess of a Pac twelve. I say that as a fan sort of disappointed in his own Pac twelve team. It was a downpack twelve It was a year where UCLA was terrible for a good chunk of the year, Arizona and ASU had major issues for stretches, Utah's quarterback gets hurt, and Utah was good, but they were not world beating good. And Colorado with a disastrous here. This was a year that USC should have won at least nine games and they didn't.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move over to the s EC Texas A and M seventy four LS seventy two, seven overtimes. This game was nuts, as we talked about earlier in the show. Yeah, LSU thought they won. They dumped the gatorade on ed orser On. It looked like they had a game clinching interception in the fourth quarter, but the play was reviewed, Kellen Mond's knee was down. We end up going to overtime. One hundred and forty six combined points. It's the most in FBS history.
Speaker 2: So you're talking FBS since the FBS was formed, I'm pretty sure Georgia Tech won a game like two hundred and twenty two to nothing, that is correct, nineteen twenty seven or something. Yes, incredible game, ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Incredible, seventy four to seventy two your final here LSU goes nine to three on the year A and M eight and four. We both talked about watching this game late into the night. It's why you were sipping on coffee. I'm on high caffeine tea here.
Speaker 2: Look at you.
Speaker 1: But what's your takeaway from a game like this? I didn't know ls you had it in him.
Speaker 2: First off, just wanted the game to end. I was very tired. But in terms of the actual football, really well played at the end by Texas A and M. You know, Kellen Mond made the passes an incredible catch by god, I don't remember who caught the there were so many touchdowns. I think it was it Davis was a Kendrick Rodgers. Whoever caught the game tying touchdown to send it overtime, great play. I thought that Jay Sternberger ball in overtime was a fumble. I thought he caught it and it was a fumble. It was ruled incomplete and not reviewed, though when things could have benefited Texas A and M. At times plays were reviewed. I mean, like the clock spike at the end was definitely reviewed to see if they still had a second left. I think LSU had every opportunity to win this game. I thought the PI was at the very end pretty questionable and I don't know, but they had opportunities. It was by the end of the game I was looking for the gift of Remember the episode of The Simpsons where Homer fought Drederick Tatum and it was sort of just so exhausted that he could barely lift his arms to throw the weakest punch and then Drederick Tatum hits him on the top of his head. That weak, exhausted punch was basically the last four overtimes for these defenses. But just a spectacle, just a complete spectacle. And LSU, as a top ten team loses. Weird game textas a and m strong way to finish out the season, beating LSU for the first time since joining the conference, and certainly an up and down game everywhere. And my favorite thing about this game was, Wow, seven overtimes. The stats must be crazy, Like not really, Kellen Mond threw for another worldly two hundred and eighty seven yards and Joe Burrow through the air goes for two hundred and seventy. Yeah, that's kind of game of us.
Speaker 1: I look forward to the off season chatter about LSU's offense and this seventy two point loss skewing their points per game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely does. You have to take this regular season pointage for LSU in the offseason.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go around the SEC and talk about a few other games here. We had Florida winning the Sunshine showdown forty one to fourteen. Yes, had five hundred and thirty six yards. Felipe Franks had a pretty good game. Florida state three turnovers, one for fourteen on third downs at long last, the nightmare season concludes at five and seven. Florida finishes nine to three. So not a bad year for Dan Muhening, you're one, No.
Speaker 2: Felibe Franks had a very nice day. They ran the ball super well. They made plays all over the place, especially upfront on defense, forced a ton of mistake mistakes from the Knoles, and you know, nice first year for Fluria. You know, it's not much to take away from that. I don't love the Gators, but you know they maximize themselves.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go around the other four games in the SEC. Very quickly. Kentucky wins fifty six to ten. They finish out nine and three. We had Mississippi State winning the Egg Bowl thirty five to three. They finish up at eight and four Old miss five and seven, Vanderbilt thirty eight, Tennessee thirteen. Nice game for Kyle Shermer.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: Vandy wins their sixth game as well. They qualify for Bowl as Tennessee falls to five and seven, just missing Bowl eligibility, but I think a good second half for the balls. And finally Missouri wins thirty eight to nil over Arkansas. They finish up eight and four Arkansas two and ten.
Speaker 2: Dan, Yeah, pretty nice year for Miszoo all things considered. I believe Vandy players in their fourth year with the doors, are now three and one against Tennessee. That's correct, bad not bad. Believe I had this as a lock bet against Louisville even though Bobby Petrino's not there hashtag Betrino. Louisville finishes one and eleven against the spread. Kentucky with a pretty inapt offense, wins by forty six.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move over to the Big ten quickly. Penn State thirty eight, Maryland three, Dan, There's something I need to address here as we talk about Maryland. I'm ready, I said on the last show erroneously that Maryland running back Anthony McFarland was the son of one Booker McFarland.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I thought he was a read article. I was pointed in the direction of some conflicting information. Turns out I was wrong. But I want to read to you the way that this is phrased in this article.
Speaker 2: If I could, I read the same thing. I'm curious to see how you defend this.
Speaker 1: Anthony McFarland junior knows that Alabama has two running backs committed. This is, by the way, when he was being recruited, correct, including the top player in the country country Najie Harris, But the four star recruit from Hyattsville, Maryland and not the sun a former unless you line in Anthony Booger McFarland has the Crimson Tide as his top school and isn't shying away from competition. Now obviously he went to Maryland. The way that that's worded implies that everyone named Anthony McFarland may be related to Booger Dan.
Speaker 2: I could see interpreting that as you know this four star recruit and not the son of Booger McFarland. Like, let's not define him by who his father is. Let's define him by his own merits. I could see you interpreting it like that, but when you actually see it written in front of you, you're like, all right, he is. I can understand the confusion with a really good football player from the South, but unfortunately the same name they are not related, So snot rocket is no longer in play here for Anthony McFarland nickname wise and he also ran for twelve yards.
Speaker 1: He ran for twelve yards. But this article would imply that everyone with the last name McFarland, we need specify that they are not related to booger. Maybe they are, okay to what did you think of this game?
Speaker 2: I didn't watch much of it.
Speaker 1: Trace McSorley goes out with a win. Yeah, it was nice to see a legend, absolute legend Penn State history. Nine to three season, though a bit disappointing, is not at all bad. Ricky Slade was out there getting some work, had yep, had some I guess two touchdowns. The front seven for Penn State has had an amazing year. They produced forty three sacks on the season. They're still very young. They're going to be incredible to watch in twenty nineteen and beyond, so I think that's the building block for the new Penn State post Trace McSorley. They're young across the board too. They bring a ton of skill position talent back, so I'm excited about where this team goes in the future. Although they're going to have to figure something out beyond Trace McSorley, whether it's Tommy Stevens or someone else. That will be the big question headed into next season. I thought, though thirty eight to three to close it out strong the way they did, they're going to get a good bowl game here, a really good way to cap off the season. Maryland finishes what five and seven. It's been an up and down year for the Terps. There's been a lot going on beyond the football field, so they're going to have to make a decision on Matt Canada and where they want to go with that program moving forward. I think I read Mike Loxley might be in the hunt for that job that keeps coming up. I saw ken Nia Matalolo again being mentioned by some as a potential for Maryland, but certainly they've they've got some decisions to make.
Speaker 2: Justin Shorter didn't really play this year? Did he from Penn State number one receiver in the country coming in so his red shirt should be intact? So future it looks to be pretty bright if everybody can hold onto balls more often than they did this season. Where does Trace McSorley to you as somebody, as a Penn State fan, somebody who's followed PSU throughout the years. Where does Trace McSorley rank to you among your favorite Penn State quarterbacks?
Speaker 1: Favorite Penn State quarterbacks?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, I mean notable?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: So yeah, Michael Robinson, Carrie Collins, Matt McGloin, obviously, Christian Hackenberg at least his freshman year. Where does Trace mcsory rank as a a three year starter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's tough to put him above Matt Seneca and Zach Mills, but have to. Yeah. I mean, first off, they're running a much different system now than they did for the majority of my life.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying best, I'm saying your favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm My long winded point is he's probably my favorite, okay, because the style of offense that they run now in this new post paternal era, is a lot more fun than the three yards and a cloud of dust ish kind of offense that they ran more in the Paternal era, so the quarterbacks more active, more mobile. Trace mcsory was the perfect quarterback for that system and he's been a lot of fun to watch. So yeah, probably my favorite Penn State quarterback in my lifetime.
Speaker 2: Even more than your guy, Anthony Morelli.
Speaker 1: Even more than my Anthony, my guy Anthony Morelli.
Speaker 2: Former San Jose sabercat As I pull up Wikipedia and Milwaukee Iron.
Speaker 1: And he was he was a dud. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Iowa thirty one, Nebraska twenty eight. Miguel Resinos drew God Love Miguel a forty one yard field goal through the elements in the driving rain, also through the uprights as time expired, gives Iowa the Hero's Trophy. Iowa tried their best, They tried their level best to lose this game. They blew a fifteen point lead in the second half, but ultimately they get the w as time expires. Nice game for Makai Sargent one hundred and seventy three and a touchdown on the ground for Iowa. Also really nice game for Adrian Martinez two sixty through the air, seventy six on the ground. Three total touchdowns, a nice building block. Clearly the Nebraska offense moving forward is going to be built around him. They finish up at four and eight the corn Huskers, but I thought improved drastically after Amark came back from his injury. And on the flip side, you've got Iowa very quiet a course, are we going a mars trying do people do that? Or is this anou tie thing just rolled off the tongue. You tried to slip that in there, Like I wasn't going to respond to Amart. I'm mixed on it, ty if you want.
Speaker 2: To part speaking of a like wait for it defense with Oklahoma, a nice little wait for it rushing attack for Iowa, waiting until Illinois and Nebraska to finish out the air to do anything on the ground. But Makai Sarge, yes, definitely was a sort of out of nowhere, at least for me, revelation for the Hawkeyes and Miguel Rasinos. I looked this up because he came into the air, as you know, a known commodity as a very good kick, and he had a good year. You know, any kicks between forty and forty nine yards he missed this season zero point zero. Hell yeah, Iowa, Hell yeah, brand Iowa. They win, Perdue wins the Old Oaken Bucket twenty one. Ron Dale Moore is going to be a fun story to watch moving forward, whether or not they've got Jeff Brahm next year. He said, Perdue's the place he wants to be. Will see, actually see if that changes anytime soon. But ron Dale Moore in that offense could be a ton of fun. He scored twice. He tied a school record, by the way, with his seventh one hundred yard game of the season. He is a true freshman mind you so keep your eyes peeled for him. Perdue will go to a bowl. They won their sixth game yesterday and we'll qualify. Indiana also had a shot at it, and I thought showed some promise offensively this season, but ultimately five and seven is your final mark for Themiers Ty Hoosiers. Yeah, bit of a bummer not getting to bowl eligibility, but cool story for Purdue once again after a slow start including lost to EMU, getting to bowl eligibility, beating Ohio State down which looks more impressive, coming close to beating Wisconsin, and winning the Old Oaken Bucket is never a bad time. Cool stories off the field with Trent Tyler and he was holding the old Oaken Bucket trophy. And I believe they played in a super entertaining Bowl game last year against Arizona. They did because I saw them at Alcatraz. I forgot. I took a tour of Alcatraz, Arizona and Purdue. So hopefully they give us some more entertainment this postseason and David Blow finish his career, finishes his career pretty successfully.
Speaker 1: Minnesota thirty seven, Wisconsin fifteen. Minnesota take it back the Axe m HM. They break a fourteen game losing streak. They held the ball for twenty one minutes after halftime and forced two Wisconsin turnovers over the final five minutes. A big win here for PJ. Fleck as Minnesota gets bull eligible. Also of note on the Wisconsin side, Alex Hornybrook came back for a season finale and promptly threw three interceptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't great. It was not a great day for this Wisconsin offense at all. Jonathan Taylor is going to be the forever bright spot, but a major step backwards. A lot of that has to do with injuries on both sides of the ball for the Badgers. But everybody deals with injuries, and some teams deal with a terrible defensive coordinator like Minnesota and make a change. After giving up fifty five to Illinois in a loss and their last three games, Minnesota gives up ten, twenty four, and fifteen. That's a good change. So cool to see the Gophers get to a bowl and improve. It's PJ Flex's first ball with Minnesota.
Speaker 1: And finally, Michigan State fourteen Rutgers ten. Hope you didn't watch this game, because right did watch the fourth quarter. Rocky Lombardi had to throw at forty three times for Michigan State, didn't complete a whole lot of them, but Michigan State ultimately wins. They finish up seven to five. Rutgers probably moving on from Chris Ash as they finished one and eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michigan State needs to move on from whoever was running this offense, Dan Warrener or whatever. This was a nightmare of an offensive season for Michigan State given what they were returning on offense. Rocky Lombardi was a bright spot at times, and it's you know, Michigan State just did its own defense a pretty large disservice this fall.
Speaker 1: All right, we got to move quick through the Big twelve PAC twelve and acc are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready?
Speaker 1: Baylor thirty five, Texas Tech twenty four. Baylor very quietly gets the six and six. They were one and eleven last year. But Matt Ruhle getting stuff figured out as Baylor going back to a bowl game. Cliff Kingsbury, by the way, on the Texas Tech side, it's season in Lubbock. He's only had two winning seasons, once in the first year, the other in twenty fifteen. Now a tough season for him with that revolving door at quarterback. It seems as though there's a lot of speculation, a lot of smoke that they are going to move on from Cliff Kingsbury and be looking for a new coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tough to fully blame him this year with the quarterback injuries, but even you can't lose like this game wasn't nearly as bad as the excuse me, the Kansas State game. And I saw a report out of I want to say news outlet from San Antonio, but as of this recording, and you know, he definitely is on that line of why haven't we seen consistent ball eligibility improvement kind of thing. So perhaps by the time you listen to this, you will no longer have a job in Lubbock. We shall see.
Speaker 1: Iowa State forty two, Kansas State thirty eight. Iowa State came from seventeen back, Yeah, I did in the fourth quarter to win this one. Case State finishes up five and seven. It's their worst year since Bill Snyder came back in nine. Also a lot of speculation that he is going to retire after the season, that they'll be looking for a football coach as well. But Iowa State right now at seven and four, They've got a game against Drake next week, which should mean an eight and four season for the Cyclones. Another good one for Matt Campbell.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and yeah, the comeback was very nice, needing what three touchdowns to close this one out and a pretty nice day for brock pertyckem Butler just continues to astound the world, one of the better wide receivers in college football. And cool for Iowa State to get by the way, Yeah, you mentioned the Drake thing. Such a bummer that we couldn't get an incarnate word bonus game after their FCS playoff loss.
Speaker 1: TCU thirty one, Oklahoma State twenty four. Somehow both teams finished six and six. I will never understand this, but six and six for both teams.
Speaker 2: Well, TCU finished the season with seven healthy players is what it felt like. But Jalen Rigor was at least close to one of them, and that's a wonderful thing. He is an explosive player. He finished the season out in typical dude fashion for him. Oklahoma State just maddeningly inconsistent to go into the fourth court. I didn't watch much of this game. Just a very flat day on offense for the Cowboys, and with what they've accomplished lately, and with how I talked up Mike Gundy as one of the best Big twelve coaches, which I think is still true. Disappointing year for the Pokes.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna rifle through, keep rifling the other four pack twelve games and give me a little flavor here, Dan.
Speaker 2: I'll give you some play.
Speaker 1: Stanford forty nine, Ucla forty two. Stanford plays Cal next week to move to eight and four. Ucla finishes up three to nine, though they did improve a lot in second half. The season Cal thirty three Colorado twenty one Cal with an ultra quiet chain. It's at eight wins. If they were to knock off Stanford next week. Colorado obviously saw the news. We talked about the news. They fired Mike McIntyre. They finish up five and seven. Again, You're finally here thirty three, twenty one in favor of Cal. We had ASU winning the Territorial Cup forty one to forty over Arizona. Nice year, I guess for Arizona State, and year one of the Herm Edwards era. They left some on the table, but they finish at seven and five. Arizona meanwhile, and Kevin Someone's first year, they finish up at five and seven. And finally, your Oregon Ducks win fifty five to fifteen in the Civil War over the Oregon State Beavers. Oregon finishes up at eight and four, Oregon State two and ten. But they did show I thought, substantial improvement for the vast majority of this football season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only thing I'll give you about those games Arizona State a nice comeback win. They needed all of that fourth quarter and they held on against Arizona. So a nice year for Arizona State, particularly on offense with I guess you could point to the emergence of Eno Benjamin for the Sun Devil. So they're going bowling. Arizona started the year too slow to ultimately pull something out and get to a bowl. Cal outscores its own offense with its defense in the first two minutes touchdown wise, they score one offensive touchdown and they get two pick six's in the first two minutes of this game. That is the ultimate twenty eighteen Cal thing in a victory. But good for Cal. You were high on them early on, not because you were high on Chase Garver's, but they nonetheless justify your love. Ucla was in the game against Stanford late. Good to see a healthy Bryce love for Stanford. Ucla just ended up shooting itself in its own foot a couple of times, losing the shootout, fumbling late, and giving this game away. Oregon did what it needed to do against Oregon States. They did not over complicate things. They ran it, and ran it and ran it some more. The only real big take away from this game justin Herbert hurt his shoulder. I don't believe people feel it's a very serious sort of broken collarbone situation like he had last season. It looks like Oregon has a good chance to go to I think the Holiday Bowl, which again is the big win if you are a PAC twelve fan. Get to San Diego in late December. I believe that's when it's being played. But hope Justin Herbert is all right. I don't know if they're going to take chances with him in the Bowl game, with his future either with Oregon or with the NFL. But Oregon finishes eight and four, and they very very much could have finished nine and three or beyond, but ultimately to too many mistakes, too many errors, too much stubbornness on offense stood in the way.
Speaker 1: Let's move over to the ACC. Four games to get through here quickly. Syrahcuse forty two, Boston College twenty one. The QS caps off a nine to three season. A really nice game for grungey Eric Dungee, who accounted get this for six of Syracuse's seven touchdowns. He had three through the air, three on the ground. The Syracuse defense forcing for turnovers from Boston College. A nice year for Dino Baber's. Boston College also eligible. They finish up their year at seven and five.
Speaker 2: Syracuse is going to finish the season as a top twenty team.
Speaker 1: Yep, not bad.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. Eric Dungee is a Syracuse football legend period. That's it. He was incredible. He was our four year starter. Leads them to a top twenty finish. Unreal, love it.
Speaker 1: Virginia Tech thirty four Virginia thirty one in overtime. A wild game with hail Mary's and fumbles and Bryce Perkins had two point fifty through the air one hundred on the ground. Virginia Tech, though, keeps their winning streak alive over Virginia. They play Marshall next week. They need that win over Marshall to get to six and six. UVA will be going to a bowl game. Kind of going out in a sour note here, but they finish up seven to five, which is still a pretty good year for the Who's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Virginia consistently going to a bowl is a win. If that's if that's the world we live in, that's a win for the Who's. And crazy ending of the game, you left out one key element of the game, that, of course is Adam a mean Oh yeah, that's right, which, of course an Adam a mean game. Is going to get bonkers. So shout out trade Turner not the to play shortstop for the Nets. Yes, the position he plays. Yes, other trade Turner plays for the Nats. Because the trade Turner is playing for the Hokies has a huge game, both in special teams and through the air catching balls he is. He is a big bright spot for a Virginia Tech team that had some low lights this year.
Speaker 1: N C State thirty four U n C twenty eight, another game that went to overtime. Reggie Gilaspie for NC State had five rushing touchdowns. N C State actually could get to No. Three on the year. They play ECU next week. They're currently eight and three. Carolina meanwhile, finishes up two to nine. They're not even playing a game next week. They're just calling it quits. They're probably gonna move on from Larry Fedora. It's been a really bad year in Chapel Hill. So curious to see the new direction of UNC after we get through the coaching carousel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so North Carolina I thought did play with some fire this year. They just came up a little bit short. When I say play with fire, I don't mean treading dangerously. I mean they fought with some guts whatever. And if there's anything about these last couple of years of North Carolina football where they have dealt with a number of injury issues and quarterback issues, it's Hey, maybe Seth Latrell is really good at what he does. Hey, maybe if you're a team in the Big twelve and you're looking to win more games than you have lately, maybe figure out what Seth Latrell's phone number is and see what's going on with him. So, yeah, NC State a nice win, Reggie Laspi're right with a dominant game Wake Forest, Tye.
Speaker 1: Wake for a good story here. So Wake wins fifty nine to seven over Duke. Wake has been decimated by injuries all year, but clearly we talk about de facto national championships. Yes Bowl eligibility here for Wake may have been their de facto national championship game against Duke. They win by fifty two to get win number six and go to a bawl good for.
Speaker 2: Them, led by possible EA Sports NCAA football name generated running back Cade Carney. He goes over two hundred, does a great job, a really nice win for Wake Forest.
Speaker 1: The only other game that I have here notably it's top ten game. UCF wins thirty eight to ten over USF. The War on I four goes again to UCF, but again it's all tempered by the fact that Mackenzie Milton is out for a significant period of time. Had the really bad knee injury. ESPN wouldn't even show the replay it was that bad. His father pointed out that he had surgery. He's recovering now, but I think this effectively kills UCF's playoff chances. It was always a bit of a long shot, mind you sure, but now that he's out, it really does force you to look at things in a different light. So a great year for UCF again undefeated. Unfortunately, now it just comes at a very very high cost with Milton going down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they advanced to the American Championship game. Yeah, just I have not watched the play. I read about what happens pretty bad, Like it is brutal to hear because of his career being as good as it's been thus far. And I guess good for UCF for playing through, you know, that kind of distraction and taking down a USF team that's been pretty down. But we'll see what UCF can do can still, it's not nothing to go twelve and zero as an FBS team, which they can winning the American I believe they take on Memphis, who took down Houston, who obviously dealt with their own quarterback injury a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 1: So there you have it. That's all I have. Do you have any others?
Speaker 2: Do I have any others? Tie? James Madison comfortable win over Delaware, setting up a showdown against Colgate this coming week. Right, Yeah, that's significant, tie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was trying not to get to taken emotionally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would also point out Boise State played really really well ultimately against a Utah State offense that has been exceptional this season. In Boise State clinches I believe the Mountain Division and moves on to take on Fresno State in the Mountain West Championship game. So Madison Avenue really comes through in a big way. Buffalo clinches their side of the MAC and they move on to the MAC Championship game. Ohio a nice win even without much of Nathan Rowe work through the air over Akron and they get to eight wins. Eastern Michigan is not a terrible program. I mean, they this is nothing new, but just that they are going to a bowl once again is pretty significant. By the way, the Buffalo coach is Lance Leopold, who is a I want to say D three was Wisconsin Whitewater three time national champion coach. So doing really impressive things at a place where it's pretty difficult to win in Buffalo. As we all, I pretty much should know by now. Elsewhere, I think San Diego State lost to Hawaii, which Hawaii goes eight and five, and this was looking like it could have been a disaster year for the Warriors, and they pull out a win over San Diego State in overtime and will advance to a Bowl game. So, you know, nig Rolovich has done a quietly pretty remarkable job way way out in the middle of the ocean. North Texas goes to nine and three. You know, we mentioned Seth Latrelle. Taking this program from a one to eleven program to consecutive nine win seasons at least has been pretty pretty impressed, to say the least. Presno State easily gets by San Jose State. Charlotte, who fired their coach, gets by fau Lane Kiffen will not be going to a bowl game this year. Arkansas State bounces. I know, Arkansas State bouncing back from a pretty slow start. They finish eight and four. Temple slow start. They just I mean, it's Yukon. They put it on Yukon. I believe Randy Etzel get some sort of bonus. I am not making that up. Yukon goes one to eleven, he gets some bonus. Telsa. I mean, it's a nice win over SMU. They have been bad this year. SMU showed some promise during the middle of the season and we're in it for the division. We get a rematch between UAB and Middle Tennessee. You have was very bad, but Spencer Brown has been beat up and he didn't really go and he has been their biggest offensive weapons. So it's a rematch back in back at Middle Tennessee. This coming. I want to say it's before Saturday, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll look it up otherwise. I mean, the app State went over Troy is significant. That was a playing game for the Sun Belt Conference championship. Georgia Southern figures out a way to finish the season pretty strongly. They go nine and three, a nice bounce back after a couple down years, and I think I think that's it. Maybe God, three and nine? What happened? They lose by one to Tulane and Western Cookie, your boy Mike Sandford has had opportunity, like they may be better than three and nine. Beating a pretty decent Louisiana Tech team is an accomplishment. They probably should have won a couple more. I think they lost to Maine early on. Marshall gets to eight wins, which is nice. They beat FIU, a pretty decent FIU team, and now I am officially done reviewing everything.
Speaker 1: Damn we need dudes. Who are our dudes for a week.
Speaker 2: I only have a few, but DJ Dallas Chris o'lave out of nowhere really significant for Ohio State. We're trying to name unobvious. You know Reggie Gilaspi. You mentioned Kendrick Rogers. He makes difficult catches. Trey Turner was impressive. Everything about West Virginia and Oklahoma's offense was amazing. But cool to see Hollywood Brown in front of his cousin Antonio Brown, which yes, Ty can confirm they are related, Thank you. I would say most of Notre Dame's defense, but Drew trankwill is just you know, he remains the dude each and every week. Alabama, It's Tua. It's just it's Tua. That's it. Nico Collins, I thought, you know, made some good catches for Michigan, but hard to give give out too many dudes there, Miles Gaskin for four years of a thousand yards you know, way to big send off for the running back dealt with some injury issues this year. Eric Dungee, how do you not dutify Eric Dungee Cad Carney for having what I believe to be a made up name for wake Forest and listen, it wasn't a this week's specific thing. But Mackenzie Milton is just a dude, and we hope he comes back stronger than ever whenever it is that happens.
Speaker 1: Dan, I want to close out by giving myself a dude alert if I could.
Speaker 2: Oh, hey me.
Speaker 1: So, we've got a gentleman by the name of Charles who listens to the show told us he spends a lot of time on airplanes traveling for business. He's also really into data and he has sent us. I don't know if you've got it in front of you a Google doc with a rather robust chart of all of our picks by conference throughout the course of the year. First and foremost, I am up by four percent on you. Look at you overall fifty four point two percent on the year picking games versus your fifty point two percent, So we're both in the black here, which is good? Right?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do you know or would you care to venture a guess on your most successful conference as it relates to picking against a point spread?
Speaker 2: So I would think PAC twelve the conference I'm most familiar with. But I think I did see this and that I am not a PAC twelve as as as much of an expert as i'd like to think I am.
Speaker 1: You're not. Well, No, in fairness, you're not as big of an expert as I am. I was seventy percent in the PAC twelve this year. You were I'm going to say fifty six percent.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say, am I strong? I'm gonna say ACC?
Speaker 1: You were worst in the ACC? No, no, excuse me, your own Yeah, yeah, no, I'm right, I'm right, I'm sorry. Forty four percent in the ACC. I was four percent in the ACC. Neither one of us did all that well. Your best in the Big twelve fifty seven percent. Okay, fifty seven percent. So I still got another week of games here. Things I suppose could go horribly south for me, but you pretty much have to run the table and hope for me to have a total wipeout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do double nothing for the Bulls Conference Championship. I feel good about this. Officially, Larry Fedora has been let go okay by North Carolina, something we talked about as a It looked to be a pretty strong possibility. But North Carolina I did see a story swirling that they might have Mac Brown interests Okay, which, okay, dude, why don't you just hire Scott Sader? Okay, listen and take your money. I think that makes the most sense. But you know how I feel about app state and you are you are anti boon, which listen, we all have that perspective. So North Carolina officially opens a tricky situation with where they've been with academic inquiries. But still I believe to be a pretty good job with the acc looking like there's room to grow.
Speaker 1: There is room, all right. Well that does it for week thirteen now in the books. When we next speak to you on Wednesday, we'll be previewing all these conference championship games as well as some of the final regular season matchups that we have for one reason or another, don't forget to email soliverble at gmail dot com, check the website Solid verbal dot com. Find us all across social media Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, read it all the usual hotspots. And if you haven't already, it's been a long season. But if you haven't told a friend yet about the Solid Verbal, we would very much appreciate that. Tell a friend to come and check us out, or if you've already done it and you're looking for some other way to contribute, going out to iTunes and leave us a review. This season kind of flew by sometimes, like around week nine or ten, I'm like, jeez, we still have I know me too, I go into like a deep dark depression.
Speaker 2: I didn't really have that this year. No, it flew by for me me too.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got more ahead, for sure. We'll have fun on Wednesday talking all things through in relation to games and firings and who knows, maybe hirings for that guy Dan Rubinstein over there in New York City for myself. Tie Hildebrandt over here in eastern Pennsylvania. Thanks again for tuning into the style of verb. We'll catch you all in a few days. In the meantime, stay solid, hey,