Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia. Brian brought us Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Hello, and welcome this morning to our version of the Break. Brian brought us here with uh Patrick Walker today and Nick Harris. As you notice no Amber Garcia or no Derek Eagleton changed. So they what they did is they put football guys together today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said, let's let's.
Speaker 2: Get all the football guys together and try and figure this thing out. How you Jim doing today? Everybody good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. You know, it's been a while, I think, especially in the new studio getting a host. No Derek last night. Derek's one of these guys will ask you to host, like he'll call you like at eleven thirty at night, you know and say hey.
Speaker 6: That's show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, thank you for answering the text. I appreciate you. Patrick is Patrick and I are. We're married to this show, so we appreciate you looking at the bat signal and then showing up for showing up for work today. But we should have a lot of fun with this crew. Kind of want to do a couple of things. If I could today, guys, if I could get these brand new computers we have working here. It's got to be gotta be a little bit careful. But in the uh, I want to I want to dive into this giants matchup a little bit and get some of your thoughts on some things that maybe maybe we haven't talked about. Is there is there something in your mind and about Listen, we're focusing on this, but maybe we need to focus a little bit more on that. We'll do that in the first segment here today. Second segment, I like to take the fans questions. This is something that we do when I'm on one O five to three the fan Yeah, and uh, you know, if you want to, you want to text in your questions, we will. We will read them in the second half and I'll get my experts here to answer those questions for you.
Speaker 6: Experts.
Speaker 2: If you don't if you don't like their answers, don't blame me. You could blame them, but they're used to that, right, We're all used to getting blamed for this stuff. And then in the third seving, I do I have some questions for myself and it's a little bit of a kind of on the Friday segment that we do usually Amberg Garcia comes up with a really kind of a fun segment on the final, uh, final segment of the day of the show, and uh, and then we'll get our game predictions. By the way, you guys hate game predictions.
Speaker 4: It's fun. I mean it makes you think, and I always love to think. I love things that make me think.
Speaker 7: So yeah, you're never right though, like always trying to predict the score, like it's it's always just.
Speaker 4: Like I nailed it once. I hit the head once this season. But I mean, it'll be one out of what was that.
Speaker 6: Two three games?
Speaker 7: Was it Rams?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I can't remember what.
Speaker 6: That was A score of Gami that would be really impressed.
Speaker 4: It was No, it wasn't It wasn't Rams. Okay, it was Charge It was Chargers twenty seventeen. I Chargers twenty seventeen. But I mean that's like you said, it's one out of like seventeen regular season games, and I'll never be able to predict the playoff game because they never go the way I wanted.
Speaker 8: To never do.
Speaker 2: One thing is, uh, have you uh have you had the experience yet of uh picking against them and then getting on the plane and going through the front of the plane with the coaches and all that sitting there and everybody, you know, because everybody acts like they don't listen and they don't hear what you're saying. That they know every damn word you're saying today, last every word.
Speaker 4: First game, first game against Philadelphia, which was in Philadelphia, I picked against them, and I picked Philly to win, and unfortunately I was right Philly, yeah, on the win.
Speaker 3: So thankfully didn't.
Speaker 4: Get any any flack or side eyes going on into the flight or coming off of the flight.
Speaker 3: But I mean, you got a job to do.
Speaker 4: You got a job, and they're not going to go seventeen to know, the losses are going to come from somewhere. You just got to pick and choose which ones you really think they're going to take that on that yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, typically just get on the plane, put the blinders on them there, straight.
Speaker 4: Straight to the the water what's on the entertainment. Keep focusing.
Speaker 2: That's where being Hellman always got in trouble. We'd get on the plane, I'd follow him in and and we go through that section, and Garrett and all those coaches be looking at us like, Okay, I saw you picked, you picked this week. And then it was really like and then you would get back on the plane coming home and say you were right. Then that's where nobody really kind of you just kind of took your tie and then did it and walk.
Speaker 6: Your That's where you're trying to make That's like I told you so be.
Speaker 4: That you keep that keep that Internet.
Speaker 2: That is the truth. Okay, guys, we've we've talked about that. The Giants are a team that's they're wounded in a lot of ways. They've struggled at quarterback, They've dealt with various injuries along the offensive line. Their defense is very blitz happy. We've talked about all those things. Is there something about this matchup that you're looking at like, listen, I think there's a storyline here and I'm gonna I'm just gonna kind of follow it. Is there something that you're just you're just kind of well, maybe I could. I'm keeping an eye on this because at the end of the day on Sunday, I'm gonna write about this. There's something that you got together.
Speaker 6: There are a couple of things.
Speaker 7: I'm only gonna steal one because I feel like you might have another one. I'm looking at Brandon Cooks. We look at this secondary for the Giants this weekend, and not only are they young inexperienced, they run more man coverage than anybody in the entire NFL. So there should be an opportunity for a speed weapon like Brandon Cooks to be able to get over the top of this defense. You know, I would love to see a triple yard day from him. I think that would be huge. We actually met a bed this morning, me and Isaiah stand back. I took the under just because I haven't seen it so far this season, and he took the over. But yeah, I think there's a really good opportunity here for Dak Prescott and Brandon Cooks to find some symmetry, and I hope I can see it. The thing with Ceedee Lamb that's just been so awesome in these last three games is the timing. And I know timing takes a really long time, and it's something that will take years to build, but when you have a veteran like Brandon Cooks, that process can be expedited because he's played with so many different quarterbacks, He's played with this very exact offensive system multiple times going back to his college days at Oregon State. Even there should be opportunities for him to take advantage of this Giant's defense. And that's the biggest thing I'm looking at going in a Sunday.
Speaker 4: For me, I'm going to look at the injury situation to Cavante Turpin. We'll see what the injury report looks like today on Friday, but he's trending toward not playing against the Giants. So for me, that throws duce fond right into the mix. For me, I think this is going to be if Turpin is held out or you know, even if he's not held out, induce is not on the inactive's list for insurance purposes. I think this is a good opportunity for us to see not only as a return of what duce fall can bring to the table, maybe you know, earn himself the right to escape the Enactors for the rest of the season, but offensively as well some of those turping packages, how does that mix out? As far as you know, where do you want to put duce, how do you use Deuce in that capacity? I think some of those reps offensively were probably default to Brandon Cooks in this game to try to get him going. But as far as versatility in the backfield, maybe this is a game when Turpin is out, maybe it's du'ce fall on a jet sweep or something like that. So be real interested to see if Turpin doesn't go exactly how they utilize duce vall, because they've not been able to kind of figure that out just yet, which is why he's been enacted the past several games.
Speaker 2: Patrick, I know you always do a great job of when we have our show with the break and we start off with we always do the injury things. Is there some things you want to update about any injuries and stuff like that. The injury that I was worried about was the bell injury right, and that was the calf right, and I reached out to somebody about that. But if you want to go ahead and kind of run through what you got on your injuries.
Speaker 4: Out, So there were no changes on yesterday's injury report over Wednesdays. So you're still looking at Marquise Bell limited with the calf, as you mentioned, Osa still limited with the hamstring. Something else to keep an eye on. Tyrone Smith still battling the illness. Did not participate, but we've talked about that yesterday. Sounds like that's just going to be the plan for him and Cavante Turpin, like we're talking about right now. He was d and P, he was outside of pads yesterday. He's trending toward not playing barring a surprise. But Marquise Bell and OsO Diggi Zoo, those are the ones that you kind of want to keep an eye on because although they've practiced and they've not been D and P yet this this week, obviously there's something nagging them there that could kind of affect their play against the New York Giants. So what are you hearing, Brian?
Speaker 2: As far as the opstation, the one that I was really really concerned about was the Bell one, and talking to some people in the organization about that. He's trending, as you would say, in the right way. As far as and the Cowboys have had some bad luck with these calf injuries and stuff like that. I mean, you always worry about.
Speaker 6: It, Donovan to Star trending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it seems like, oh no, don't worry about it. And the next thing, you know, these guys are out. You know, they missed entire training camps and stuff like that. But I was hearing from Bell that actually that he had had a good day yesterday and they're they're progressing in the way that maybe uh that that that that will get him to the game on on Sunday, because I think I can't I can't imagine them being as light as they are at linebacker and him not being able to play. Yeah. Yeah, it gets Barkley and all that talk about him. You know, the rookie class has struggled with uh, you know, with with the contributions to you know, and and and that's gonna happen. We always we love the way the Cowboys draft, but Butter is Butter.
Speaker 6: I forget he's a rookie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the but the rookie class, you know, we're we're halfway finished the year and it's kind of is what it is right now. But talk about guys like with with what you said with Bell and and what your expectations for him were, uh at training camp to where he is right now for for your your team.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's being able to step into that second level. I think if you had told me even in the second week of training camp, Hey, he's going to be your starting linebacker for a majority of the season and he's going to fill in and.
Speaker 6: Do a great job, and be like, all right, so what else are you smoking?
Speaker 7: Right? Yeah, exactly, And so you know what he's been able to do as an undersized linebacker and and come in and fill these running holes. He's done such a great job with it. I mean, he's he's showing a lot of a lot of experience in that way. And you know, we were able to talk to him going into his first start as as a linebacker and just being able to talk about that that transition, and he was like, I actually did this at Florida A and M I had to step in and do this a few times. And whenever dan Quinn brought me in for the first time after I got signed, he pointed to that and he's like, that's that's the reason you're here. So they're able to manifest that and only his second season, you know, an undrafted free agent not playing like one.
Speaker 6: And I think if we if we're.
Speaker 7: Highlighting our expectations from training camp in this sense, I also want to highlight one Yea Thomas in that same expay, just because he's been able to show a lot of similar things. I thought, Yeah, not necessarily as like a safety linebacker hybrid, but more so as a safety guy who has just been awesome in coverage whenever he has been on the field. For some reason, we haven't seen him the last couple of weeks, but whenever he is on the field, he's he's making an impact.
Speaker 4: The thing for me with Bell and both of those gentlemen, and great job on them kind of staying the course through the practice squad stint last year as a rookie, never dropping their head, never dropping their chin. They you know, just continue to work. But with Bell, the thing was last season he was being bred in the same lane as a Donovan Wilson, and with Donovan Wilson brings for dan Quinn, So going into year two, that was my expectation. But of course, then you know, you draft overshown and you create packages for overshowing, but then you lose overshown. But you don't want to lose those packages. So Marquise Bell dan Quinn taps into what he saw with him at Florida A and M. And to say that it's worked magnificently is a gross understatement.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's stepped up.
Speaker 4: He stepped up big, and it's wild to me to see players like that, because, let's be honest, and we've seen this over the coast of the past few years. As far as covering the Cowboys, flex doesn't always work in favor. Yeah, okay, it's actually worked against the Cowboys and a lot of instances, but with Marquise Bell it's working out perfectly. So now the question becomes and it's a fun question to have, and it's foreshadowing for twenty twenty four, but when overshown comes back, what do you do with Marquise Bell there? Like, do you drop him back and try to keep him as the safety and put him back in that Donovan Wilson lane as far as like the protege a of Donovan Wilson or do you just try to figure out, you know, how to play those guys alongside each other. Keeping in mind to mont Clark is taking strides as well, and then, of course lighton Vanderesch, it is presumably he'll still be a Dallas Cowboy in twenty twenty four. So I love what I'm seeing from Marquis Bell. But like you said, if going into the season you had told me that he would have to be a convert to linebacker and he would not only do well, but he would impact games. Go back and look at the largest game he helped bottle up Austin Eklick fantastically, I would say the same thing, past whatever you're smoking, because it's just some good stuff.
Speaker 7: I think a question you would have to ask even sooner when it comes to twenty twenty four, a question you would have to ask even sooner when Layton is healthy. Do you still get him reps? And do you still rotate him in him being Marquise Yes, exactly. We've been talking about it on Talking Cowboys this week.
Speaker 6: What do you do there?
Speaker 7: Because you have a defender who has been so awesome in the run game, He's athletic enough to be able to step back in coverage. He does some things that Layton Vandersh can't do just because of his athleticism, his leanness. Do you how do you work that out. I think the only thing that I have qualms about is you can't replace Layton Vandersh's presence.
Speaker 4: And that's my thing is it's complete difference to LV at that point.
Speaker 9: And it's not.
Speaker 4: Yes, there are things that Marquise Bell is more athletic in than late Vandersh, but its presence, it's IQ. It's he's your green dot. It's his ability to control and represnap and communicate those things in real time. Veterans savvy that think, you know, Marquis Bell just doesn't have yet because he doesn't have those reps and those stripes just yet. So interesting conversation and I'd love to see how it shakes out. But for me, Leyton van Dersh comes back, that's who's going right back, and you don't siphon any of those or at least not more than a handful of those reps away from him to get Marquise in. The bigger question is how do you figure that out? As far as the splits between like d'mon and Marquise, for example, assuming Rashaun Evans is still on the roster, how do you figure that out? But when LV comes back, his role is still his role in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was, you know the thing with I think having vander Usher on the field is huge. Yes, we'll see how that all plays out. I give dan Quinn a lot of credit, give Belle a lot of credit. When Dan finds ways to get guys involved. He's got ideas for players and how to play. I mean, where they need to be, where they need to be placed. I give him a lot of credit. As a former scout, I would love to work for a guy like Dan Quinn because I know if I bring him a player, he'll find a way to use him in the right way. I just like like, hey, coach, this this is kind of like my vision of what I saw the player, and and he you know, and then you you kind of present that he gets on your team. And then Dan finds another way to use in which is even bigger than the role that you had in vision for him. I was gonna ask about won Ye Thomas, and I know these safeties are pretty locked in to you know, when you start to talk about Hooker and Curse and Wilson, how do you get wan Ye Thomas on the field. More to me, I see a smart guy that plays personal protector on the punt. That's the guy that calls out the block and scheme, make sure everything's solid up front. He's physical, he's tough, he's smart, he tackles well. How do we continue not to see him? It's always special teams reps, and I get it, you're you're gonna sacrifice snaps for guys that are starters. But I'm to the point now where I'd like to see him play some more defensive snaps. And I know your team's fighting for division titles and stuff right now, but I'd like to see him play a little bit more in these games. Am I? Am I doing what you're saying? Am I smoking something there?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: I don't think so. I think you know.
Speaker 7: You look at an opportunity against the Giants this week and big spread seventeen points, it's the largest in the NFL so far this season. If everything goes to plan in the first half, you'll be able to try some things out in the second half and in the second half. I want to see one Yea get thrown in there. I want to see him at safety. I want to see him at nickel. He's athletic enough to play press man coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you saw some of that, ye, yeah.
Speaker 6: And do some awesome stuff with it.
Speaker 7: I know a big question mark around this entire team right now is if one of these corners goes down, well, yeah, exactly who steps up? And especially if it's Jordan Lewis, what do you do there? Do you move Bland inside and then you put Naean right on the outside you leave Bland out. I want to see what it looks like with one Ya at Nickel, because if you're able to keep Bland on the outside, if an injury does happen, then you can put one in there. Yeah exactly, you can keep one Ya on there and you trust him in that sense. And he hasn't done anything at least in my eyes, whether it be in the preseason or in his opportunities in the regular season to tell you otherwise. He's only in Golf's trust. On every opportunity that he's had, and we saw a lot of them early in the season, it had me thinking that he was going to be the key rotational piece in that secondary and then I don't know, the last couple of weeks, those opportunities have just been taken away. I don't know if that's matchup based or what but it's just something to keep an eye on for sure.
Speaker 4: Not dissimilar from the defensive line situation with like Sam Williams, for example, Dan Quinn has such an embarrassment of riches at that particular position defensive line and safety as well, that it becomes difficult to try to figure out how, to your point, how you get these guys like Jue Year reps over a guy like Jayron Curse. When you know what Jayron Curse brings to the table, you know what Millie Cooker brings to the table, and you absolutely know what Donovan Wilson brings to the table. I'm hard pressed to figure out how to do that in that instance. I would say, let it happen organically. That could be by virtue of dot dot dot right, but it also could happen if you handle your business. Great point by Nick Harrius. If you handle your business and you actually walk these giants out of the stadium like you walked them out of their own stadium in week one, now you start to get in the situation where you can start pulling starters middle of the third quarter, late third quarter. Now you can get these guys in. You can get wan Ye Thomas and you can kind of move him around and get him game experience at Nickel, which is a great one.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: What I would counter, what I would what were there is I think you would have to wonder if there were dot dot dot uh in the secondary at cornerback Nickel corner specifically, is he mcuamos He mccuamo stepped in and you look at what he did in the wildcard matchup against Tom Brady, kind of like the big slot, big Nickel guy, and he played extremely well. So even that goes to the original point of there's such an embarrassment of riches because mccuamu has a high ceiling, but he can't crack the rotation. Naseean has ability, he can't crack the rotation. And I'm really against right now because Deron Bland is settling in on the boundary, I'm really against moving him back inside. Should dot dot dot occur. So if you want to start experiencing, and if you're the Cowboys and you want to answer that question, blow out the giants. So you can put these guys in in the you know, late third and entirety of the fourth quarters, you can find some things out outside of that if you have to play continuously close games going forward, you're gonna have to continue to lean on your jay Ron Curses and your Malie Hookers and Donovan Wilson's is gonna make it difficult for a guy like Juan Yet to crack through. But kudos to him because when he's been on the field, he's been mostly fantastic.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, I like what you guys are saying there. I'd just like to see him out there a little bit more. I mean, there's him and Rico Dwell on those guys. But I understand. You know, coaches, I've always learned this. Coaches will they go with what they know. They they you know, they until they until you show them, hey, this is there's a different way to do this, they'll keep going with the guys that they know. So you know, that's probably why you're gonna see see what you see right now. All right, we're gonna take our first break. I mentioned we're gonna take your questions. I need you guys to light this thing up.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The podcast text line it's eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. I'll give you a chance to grab a pin here real quick. Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. We're gonna take your questions, uh next, make sure you light them up. We're gonna get my experts here to answer them for you, and we'll do that after this break.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 8: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 6: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking.
Speaker 8: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 4: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 8: Everica is only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices. Message dat rate MA apply number FDIC.
Speaker 5: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 11: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 10: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 5: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 3: To cry out?
Speaker 5: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dear equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the Break, All right, here we go. Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by vis A Ligne. Don't miss your chance to learn from Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and former NFL players at at and T Stadium on December twenty second and twenty third. Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys. Register today at dallascowboys dot com Slash Camps. This segment of the Break is sponsored by Who's a sponsored by Blockchain Change.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought show, okay, I thought you were gonna help me out. I'll wait for the dean.
Speaker 7: I'm just here so I don't get fine.
Speaker 2: Patrick is gonna throw a block.
Speaker 6: I was waiting for the day and you had to bring in a day following us.
Speaker 2: Today, By the way, mix shots at noon, my buddy Mickey Spagnole's got his show check them out at noon. Make sure that that'll be a lot of fun with those guys. I'm gonna give you that number one more time because we do need your help on this segment. If you want to get your question answered, by the way, leave your name and where you're texting from, too ye make you famous? Uh eight one seven?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, make you famous one way or another. Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight once again eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. My guy Nick Harris is going to handle the questions aspect of this. Patrick's got his computer up too, so uh, Nick, fire away, let's go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, they are rolling in there.
Speaker 2: We got start with USh.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna start with one from the two to one zero. Shout out to san Antonio, text's a beautiful place, good morning. Do you think putting Micah in the middle helps this defense with vander Rush being out and Clark not being a difference maker, I believe it's easier to scheme against Micah when he's on the edge your thought. So, a couple of things I want to address in the question itself first before we answer it. I believe he's asking putting Micah in the middle as a pass rusher coming off the top is like a zero tech or a one tech that he's done at times. I will say Clark not being a difference maker, I don't necessarily agree with that. You look at what he's done in the run game and being able to just do his job. I think when it comes to just doing his job and staying out of the way, he's done a good job of doing that. Is he the most impactful player on this defense. Absolutely not, but he serves a very viable role and he's done a good job with that role in this season in my opinion. As far as your question about Micah coming down the middle, yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 6: There's a lot you can take away from that.
Speaker 7: You can't do it too much because the running game is obviously going to attack Micah Parsons on a consistent basis, and until he proves that he can be an elite run defender, it's going to continue to be that way. That's how they flush him out, that's how they get him questioning himself in the pass rush. That's his biggest negative, and obviously that's the thing he's been working on the most, So putting him in the middle on a consistent basis, that's only going to hurt him there, and it's only going to open up more holes in the middle of the field. I still like the distribution that they have, putting him in the middle for about eight to ten snaps a game and leave him on the edge for the other ones. But as long as you keep him moving, that keeps the offensive line guessing, and that keeps the entire offense guessing as well.
Speaker 4: I definitely disagree on the mont Clark statement. What I will say is Michael Parsons. My stance on him hasn't changed from the past couple of seasons in that I love I would love to designate him as W which stands for weapon versatile, move him around, and now, more so than ever, you're seeing Dan Quinn not only commit him as a defensive end. Now, yes, he's taking some snaps his linebacker because Ley Vandrush is out, but you're also seeing Michael Parsons rush from the left. You're seeing him line up over guards, You're seeing him line up over centers. That's what I want to see from Michael Parsons. That's how I think you make it virtually impossible to scheme against him because it's a game of where's Waldo? And on every snap you have to try to identify where Waldo is. And the fact that you cannot do that is going to help him eat that much more. It's going to help free up guys like Osa DeMarcus Lawrence, Neville Gallimore, Jonathan Hankins and eventually Mazzie Smith as well, Chauncey Ghost and he started, he's starting to make an impact as well. Go back and look at that Eagles game. So for me, it's about moving Micah around. It's not about keeping him at full time right defensive end. It's not about keeping him eighty percent in the middle of the field as an MLB, as a mike. It's about getting him in positions to help him succeed, and those positions may vary from snap to snap.
Speaker 2: I love that, yeah, But I'll tell you what though, if he can continue to get centers like Shelton from the Rams and you can't handle one on one, if you get Kelsey, that sometimes is not strong enough. And then John Michael Smith's this weekend for the Giants not a very strong center. If it doesn't have to be every snap, but there's some opportunities if you can scheme him one on one against these centers that aren't very strong. Oh yeah, he embarrasses him. He really does a great job with that, right.
Speaker 7: Nick, He's a really good one. It's very quick and to the point. Shout out to Mike and Virginia. Thank you Mike, who is wide receiver two on this team. Jake Ferguson, wide receiver two, said, Jake fergus that's not a lie, right I said.
Speaker 4: I said what I said, and we we've said it, and I said it a couple of times this week right here on this platform. Jake Ferguson needs to be your number two target. He needs to be your number two Look until further notice, I believe Brandon Cooks will organically begin to come along, and you know, he might have an explosive game here against the Giants. Going back to Nick's point to start the show, but Jake Ferguson is outside of Ceedee Lamb. He's the hottest hand that you have if you're Dak Prescott. So he's coming along strong. He's showing you that he can probably be, you know, as far as potential wise, in his trajectory, he could be what Witten was a more athletic version of it, though. But what Witten was to Tony Romo what helped me out Novichek was to Troy Aikman, and Dalton Schults was to Dak Prescott. But now you have a situation where you have a younger Jake Ferguson. Dak presumably is going to get into a new car. I mean, like, let that bill, let that cook. So for me, don't force it the Cooks. It's going to come on its own and ceedee Lamb is going to get his. But yeah, it's Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 6: Jake Ferguson, Okay, you have an answer there.
Speaker 2: You know what it? Uh? Me personally, I feel like it it's Cooks and I think I think Cooks has had some bad luck with the play calls that have tried. I think they're trying to scheme things for him. I just think there's some unfortunate things that have happened that have not allowed him, uh to be the beneficiary of some of the play calls that they're trying to scheme him with.
Speaker 7: UH. This is a really quick one. I just want to address. I don't think necessarily we should go. We can't if y'all want to, if y'all have an opinion. First off, he says, good morning, handsome gentleman. That's thank fantastic, thank you. I shout out to the same in California. His question is Jalen Brooks looked amazing during training camp. Wonder we should give him a try as far as throwing him into the offense. Just want to address this really quick. If Cavante Turpin does not play on Sunday, that's probably the guy that gets activated in his place. So you might get your wish on Sunday if Turpin is not playing. As far as another question, I had a really good one, and.
Speaker 2: Thanks to everybody out there. By the way, the number if you want to text in eight one seven two nine zero three two nine to eight, leave your name here where you're from, We'll get you on there, get you on the air.
Speaker 6: So this is Jose.
Speaker 7: He is from Dallas, but he's currently active duty in San Diego.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: How much of a thought do you guys think the coaching staff has given into giving Jalen Tolbert more snaps over Michael Gallup or turpin. If he's injured in critical downs, his development and progress has been great to see, thank you. I so if you look at the snap counts, honestly, in the last three or four weeks, I was going he's starting to cut into it already. You look at what he did against the Eagles. This is my opinion. I'm not going to speak for the coaching staff. In my opinion, you look at what he did against the Eagles, and you have to be able to take away the fact that he could show up in those critical moments. He can be able to deliver you a touchdown drive and a touchdown catching those moments. If trust is the only thing he's given you so far in twenty twenty three, why not put it back into him.
Speaker 6: So for me, I'm with you.
Speaker 7: I would like to see Tolbert get increased opportunities as a year goes on.
Speaker 4: And I agree, and I think, like you said, it's the keyword is organic. It's organically. And then go back and look at the Philadelphia Eagles game. You get an early game dropped from Michael gallupin and kudos to Gallop for recovering and getting those two possession catches down. But you then saw after that. I don't think it was a coincidence that you saw some targets going to Jalen Tobert after that, and then what does Tobert do? He rewards you with a touchdown and the penalty drawn. So yeah, I'm right there with you. I think it needs to continue to happen. I don't think we're at the point yet wherein Jalen Tobert has surpassed Michael Gallup, but give him an opportunity to compete for those snaps alongside Michael galloping and kind of made the best man win type situation.
Speaker 7: Well said, this is a question from double R and seven to three to two. Is the issue with the run game, scheme, slash coaching or personnel. I'm not inclined to believe TP is a lesser of a running back because of his injury. I agree with that second sentence for sure. For me, it's for me, it's it's it's a combination of things. It's not personnel. I could say that right off the bat. For me, it's a combination of things. One, it's offensive line consistency. I think that's your biggest issue forward some running game this season, Guys just being able to stack good reps and we haven't necessarily seen that on both sides of the offensive line, right And we haven't even had all five guys on the offensive line four a consistent amount of time. So that's the biggest thing for me. And also I think there is a little bit of blame that you can put into scheme and coaching, because I've said this a couple of times this week. Tony Pollard is a phenomenal complimentary back and there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 6: There's nothing wrong with that at all.
Speaker 7: Like he can be that receiving type of scatback that you can throw him out in the slot even if you want to. At times, I don't want to see him downhill every time he touches the ball. And he's gotten twelve carries in his past two games, each twelve carries in each of the last two games and going downhill eighty ninety percent of the time, and I just don't want to see him between the tackles every play to Sometimes I will say this every time.
Speaker 2: I wasn't the biggest Joe Philbin fan. They missed Joe Philbin. They do. In my opinion, I think that this group, and you know before that was who I call running game Moses Bill Callahan's the world and all that. But yeah, there's something different about the way that they're I think there's things that are trying to do scheme wise. I think they're trying to double team at spots. I think they're trying to get guys at second level. I think they're trying to do all these things to run the ball better. But that Joe Philbin had this crew running the ball a lot better, and maybe maybe you missed the two back way of doing things. That's why I want to see more of Recal Daubtle a little bit. You know, the one big run they had that was the holding play, that was a well blocked play. They're capable of doing that, you know, they just haven't. You talked about Nick talks about the consistency. They haven't done that enough. But I do think they miss I do think that with Mike Solari, and I'm not sound like I'm taking a slam or a shot at him, but I think these line coaches. To me, when you look at the offense and defensive cornerat the next most important position on your staff is the offensive line coach. And I think there's been a transitional problem here, you know, with them and the and the and the run and the way that they're they're blocking right now.
Speaker 4: I think agreed and first and foremost in we're all on the same page when it comes to this. Offensive line play has to improve. And we can say that until we're blue in the face, but that's the fact. Offensive line improve play improves. You will see the run game become more effective. Now secondary to that, but still key is something we talked about yesterday. It's complimentary back versus being the RB one. With the departure of Ezekiel Elliott. Now everyone or most people have what they wanted, which is Tony Pollad is RB one. But you have to understand that that comes with a lot of the heavy lifting, the dirty work, the pass pro the dirty plays that we're going to Ezekiel Elliott. And then over the course of the season, now as we hit week ten, it starts to wear on them. You start to lose a little bit of that top gear, a little bit of that home run ability. And now guess who gets to come in with the fresh legs and now everybody wants to see more of It's recal dauto. It's a formula. It's a pattern that continues to be prevalent. So whether it be Julius Jones versus Felix Jones and then Felix Jones versus Lance Dunbar and DeMarco Murray and Lance Dunbar's, it's always going to be easier for the complimentary back to come in fresh legs and be a little bit more explode. So I don't think it's a personnel issue as much as it is just understanding that you're not going to see the twenty twenty two Tony Pollard in twenty twenty three. That does not mean he doesn't have the explosiveness, doesn't mean he won't take one to the house. But again, go back and look at the Charges game. For example, Dak Prescott makes the play kudo with his legs. Kudos to Tony Pollard for finding a way to get open in the field. He gets that, he rattles it off, turns it into a sixty yard game. But why was it not a touchdown because he didn't feel this guy? In twenty two and twenty one, Tony Pollard feels that guy and that's a home run. It's just RB one duties are different, So it wears on you. So all of that kind of goes to indo play.
Speaker 7: There are a lot of questions in here about Trey Lance, and yeah, just said the last question.
Speaker 2: Could let's get one more question to break.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a progress report that they're winning on Trey Lance. He gets in a pregame workout before every single game about three hours before his quarterbacks coach Scott Tolzen don't expec to se him the season.
Speaker 6: That's why we got that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, to me, the way Dak is playing quick, you know, the progress I think they're asking about is and this is where to me, you have like twenty some odd coaches on staff. There's got to be a plan that they have pre practice, post practice where they put the scout team receivers or practice squad receivers out there and they go through things with him. So they're trying to bring him along. He's a smart guy. He's understanding what they're trying to do. You know, if something were to happen to Dak Prescott, it's going to be Cooper rush and then you go from there.
Speaker 7: It's it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there is a plan for how he practices and how he gets reps, and you know he's just not sitting there not doing anything. They have a plan for what they need to do. All right, we're going to take our final break and we'll come back. I got some questions from my guys. Thanks to everybody out there that fired some questions in I really really appreciate you doing that. When we come back, we'll get some more questions for our guys that have a little fun with this. You're listening to the break.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 2: Todd believed the big Cat.
Speaker 10: Repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheat that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deil needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: Back to the break.
Speaker 2: Get a frameworthy family holiday photo with Santa at the Star presented by mon Reality. Santa Claus will be at his Cowboys themed cottage in the Star District from November eighteenth through December twenty fourth. Book your visit before December ninth and save five dollars with code Star Star five. Visit the Star District dot com slash Santa for more info. Okay, we're back here with the break. Uh do you some business about the pod pic?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: First sack either team? Who's gonna have the first sack for either team?
Speaker 4: Cowboys versus Giants?
Speaker 6: I want to give it a tank tank?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: This morning on Talking Cowboys, I said to Marcus Lawrence. So yeah, give it a tank.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with MICHAEH.
Speaker 6: Parsons like safe, Like I'm gonna go with Michah.
Speaker 2: Parsons on this like that, like I just you guys just gave me the pack right to the goal line, right buddy, all right? In our final five minutes or so here of the break. And by the way, thanks again to everybody that's listening out there. We really do appreciate you. Make sure you're checking out all these guys. Fine work on Dallas Cowboys dot com. It is as a must follow these guys when it comes to that information. They live in this building, they're around it every single day. You're not going to find anybody better that covers this football team than these guys.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: All right. Questions that I have for my guys, Nick, I'll start with you on this one, Oh Cowboys player, you'd like to have a podcast with?
Speaker 6: Current or former, doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think we were asked this a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I thought I was breaking No, no, no.
Speaker 6: Not at all.
Speaker 7: I'm trying and I said, I said, Cavante Turpin just because He's just like a ball of energy at all times. And I just love people from Louisiana as well. So yeah, throw throw me in a room with Cavante Turpin. We're gonna have some fun.
Speaker 4: And you said it could be past present matter Michael Irvin. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Yeah podcast with Michael Irving because not only is it going to be energetic and fun, but I mean incomparable football like you so all manner of football, all manner of Cowboys talk. Give me Michael Irvan.
Speaker 2: I think there was a side of me that that back in the day, like Thomas Hollywood Henderson way back in the day he was with us. And then uh, and then I think then I would think that maybe Michael Parsons. I love what Michael Parsons is doing with He's having fun, He's having fun. He's honest. He just says what you know, he says, he doesn't care. I mean, he says what he needs to say. So I think it'd be kind of fun to kind of chop it up with him a little bit. All right, Patrick, Game, you'd like to be in Mike McCarthy's shoes for for a day. You're the head coach for the Cowboys for a day in this game.
Speaker 6: That's opposition.
Speaker 2: No, you get to be the head coach of the Cowboys. So you you you're you're the head coach. Give me the game that you want this season that you want to be the head.
Speaker 9: Coach for.
Speaker 3: The Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 6: Mine's the Panthers. I don't want to coach.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, Philadelphia Eagles, because it's always sweet when the Cowboys can hand the Eagles of loss. But if the Cowboys can handle Eagles, the Eagles a loss and it's me pulling the strings all that, Oh yeah, that's just early Christmas for me.
Speaker 6: The Panthers want to coach. I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 7: I'm okay with putting the guys on the old I'm going to tell him what to do.
Speaker 6: Though, coaching coaching is fun.
Speaker 2: You don't want to you don't want to call plays.
Speaker 6: Maybe you know, you get that big old play card like on Madden. I do coaches play or I do the suggested plays?
Speaker 4: No, see, I want I want the challenge. You want to smoke or I want the smoke. I want the Eagles smoke.
Speaker 6: I respect that.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like that, like that that Eagles game would be.
Speaker 4: A lot of fun.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 2: I think if you had to do it over maybe San Francisco to try and kind of figure out navigate that one, even though it turned in. I mean I'm talking about before, you know that before not afterwards, we have to stand up there and answer your guys questions about what happened. But yeah, I think the San Francisco game would be an entertaining one for me. All Right, Nick, uh.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Have you ever been nervous asking a question to Jerry or Steven?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna steal the answer from Beam here. He's like yeah and asking for a raise, But uh yeah, there was there was a moment with uh that I had with Steven. It was before it was before the season, before they went to training camp. I believe it was Steven's final availability before they went to training camp, and he was getting grilled quite a bit about the kicker situation at that point.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 7: Yes, It's like, hey, like, where's the kicker basically? And I had i'd asked him. I was like is he in the building? That just I was like, is he in the building?
Speaker 2: Did you ask it? Real soft? One of those moments.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go with, No here simply because and this is giving roses to to Jerry and Steven and just the front office in general. They're very self aware. Like, they're very aware. I mean, you see how they let us step in here and the objective and our on we get an objective in our written analysis. And so when you walk up and you ask Steven or Jerry a question, I mean they know if it's coming off a loss, it's probably going to be a question about how can this team improve? It's ahead of the trade deadline, it's well, you have some deficiencies here, what are you thinking? So I think because they're self aware, it makes it easier to have a dialog in a conversation because they're they're really defensive, Like I've not seen Stephen Jones get defensive. So it's it's not often that you could say that when you're talking about those kinds of guys and you know, in those type of seats of power. So kudos to those guys. I mean, they're very self aware, they're very open to questions, and they don't run, they don't have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're very personal. Absolutely, they're easy to talk to. They come down to your level, and it makes it it makes it simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just remember, like, work it right. I'm sorry when you when you do work for them though, And I've had the experience of being with them in me I've seen them really mad, you know, both of them really mad, and it makes you you're thinking like, Okay, do I want to ask this question? Get them to that level again, you know, if you don't want to be the reason, I really want to be the reason why they're about to lose their minds here. But no, but you're I think you're both right about it is they do they they they they understand, they understand you have to do a job, you know, and they understand that, you know, not all questions are going to be as long as you're fair.
Speaker 6: That's just as long as you're fair, respectful, fair.
Speaker 2: And respectful, that's all that matters for me. All right, A couple more questions Cherry, real quick, if we can, How would you feel, Patrick if Dak Prescott broke down your job on a weekly basis?
Speaker 4: I would love it. I would love it. It would be fun to me. And because it goes back to what you said, so it's respect.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: We get in here and every day we analyze and we talk about the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful, but it's always respectfully done. So any criticism is always constructive criticism. And knowing Dak Prescott and knowing how he approaches life, he always looks at it from a constructive process. So I would love for him to step in here and break down me on a play by play basis, because I know, even if I don't agree with everything he says, everything is coming from a constructive standpoint. And I'm not afraid to be coached. I'm very coachable. I've always been coachable my whole life. I've played most sports, team and individual sports, and just growing up in a big family, you have to be able to be kind of like the consummate team person. I'm the little brother to somebody, but I'm the big brother to somebody else. So I would love it. Hey, Dak Prescott, if you want to jump in here on this mic and break down this week's science lab line by line, Let's have some fun with it. Let's do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm always somebody who's who's seeking out opinions and trying to figure out what's what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong? And when you look at Dak Prescott specifically, he's one of the biggest competitors in the entire league. And we were in the locker room yesterday and he just kind of just stood up and he was like, all right, who wants to smoking ping pong? He's just he's always looking for a competing a competition. So if he has that competing mindset, I want him criticizing what I got going on.
Speaker 2: I like what you guys are saying there. I think it would be interesting, for sure. They'd like to see how critical he really could be of what you're talking about on a daily basis, whether I know on r N stuff we're talking like with what I do one oh five three. I'd love to hear him like, brother, you know nothing about the MAVs. That's a terrible Stars talk right there. You know you're missing the point on the baseball stuff. All right, My final question for you guys go to item in the Star cafeteria.
Speaker 7: Oh man, I gosh, I will say, yeah, the churils are not a bad that's not a bad bad. That's that's not a bad one. That's not a bad one. Gosh, there's been some meals that we've had down there. At times we had a The chicken tenders are to go to for sure. But if if I had to point, like one day that I had just a phenomenal time in the cafeteria, it was when they had the Hispanic heritage did and they brought in just food from.
Speaker 6: Every Yeah they here it was.
Speaker 2: It was so good. Yeah, the corn dogs and stuff like that got one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going with I don't think the churrolls can be beat because not only it's not like what you'd find it one of the draft through restaurants where it's like the four or five. No, I mean it's it's it's pause. There's so much in them it so it's great, absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 2: Before we get out of here today, we always have to have a score prediction. Patrick score prediction for the Cowboys Giants game.
Speaker 4: Not a trap game. Cowboys going focused. They do very well in avoiding two game losing streaks. Giants are just down trot and then they're spiraling. Right now, I think the Cowboys just walk them out of the building and get up early and it turns out to be a blowout. My first blowout prediction of the season is right now, forty six to seven on a garbage time touchdown from the Giants.
Speaker 6: Very nice.
Speaker 7: I wonder forty six seven is a score. Gum me as well again, Dartboard forty one to thirteen. I think they get out to a big league Like you said, I think there's another defensive touchdown this week. Definitely looking at a lot of different things. So I'm more looking at the intricacies of this game this week and how it can build momentum as the season goes on. But I think the Cowboys they get out early and they win big.
Speaker 2: Cowboys win this one, thirty to six. That's what they do. So that's it for our time here on the break. I want to thank Nick Harris, Thanks Sir Patrick Walker, Thank you guys for allowing me to host today. I appreciate that. I want to thank Chris Beam, and I want to thank everybody out there who listens to a podcast daily. I want to thank all the people that texted in. As mentioned, We've got mixed shots coming up next for my guys. We'll see you Monday after with some results and talk about this how this New York Giants game went. Take care of a great weekend.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboy