Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the short stuff. I'm chops and there's chuck and cherries here. Wait, no, she isn't. No, cherry's not here, Dave's not here. We're left on our own like a pair of losers. And this is short stuff. That's right.
Speaker 2: Big thanks to HowStuffWorks dot com, the Canadian Encyclopedia, and Food and Wine magazine Wow for the information that I called about Canada's national dish. At seven hundred and forty calories and forty one grams of fat per serving, the French fried brown grayby cheese curd squeaky delight, that is poutine.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love poutine. How about you?
Speaker 2: What's not to like?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: Of course I love poutine. I can't eat a lot of that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Well, now, who can't?
Speaker 2: Because you know, I'm trying to look be healthier and look better and poutine does not lend itself to that.
Speaker 1: You look, you look both, by the way.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. But in Canada, you got to eat some of that poutine.
Speaker 1: You definitely do. Whenever we visit Toronto, I'm always on that stuff. You have taught. One reason why we can't eat it as much is because we live in the southeastern United States, whereas poutine was originally invented in Quebec, which can get awfully cold in the middle of winter, so it actually makes a lot of sense to eat a higher calorie diet during that time, like a bear.
Speaker 2: That's right. It popped up in the nineteen fifties in the snack bars of rural Quebec and started gaining in popularity, you know, kind of spread out from there. As we'll learn, it eventually started popping up in fast food menus in the nineteen eighties like McDonald's and Burger King and stuff like that in Quebec, and then eventually over the border into Ontario, and nowadays you can find it all over the world, even though if you want you know, if you want that og, you got to get it somewhere in Quebec, right.
Speaker 1: And if you're a purist, you definitely have to get it from Quebec. That's just the way it goes, that's right. So there's a bunch of different families or people who lay claim to inventing poutine, but they all hail from the same area called the Santra de Quebec, which means center of Quebec, which is ironically in the south, and that is a really important place because that's where the fromagerie is, the cheesemakers who made these squeaky cheese curds that are essential to poutine if you're a poutine purist, where they're made. And there's the first guy who will meet is from Warwick in Quebec, and his name was Fernand la Chance of Cafe Ideal, and he said that he first added courage to fries because one of his customers, Eddie Linness, said, Hey, add some curds to these fries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was in nineteen fifty seven, and he replied in French, I'm not even gonna try it. But he replied in French that will make a damn mess. But he did it anyway, served it in a paper bag. It became pretty popular and people started kind of customizing it, adding vinegar and ketchup and stuff. And then six years ended that he started to serve that on a plate because it was such a mess and customers were like, hey, they're on the plate now, They're not in this bag staying warm. They're getting cold. So he said, ah, dump some brown gravy on that stuff. And said, how you like that for warm? But in French?
Speaker 1: But in French? Do you want me to try the French quote? Sure, oh sure, sava te fair un modi poutine nice. So okay, we've got our first first entrant, Fernando la Chance, courtesy of Eddie Leness. This is nineteen fifty seven, I guess, And no, nineteen sixty three is when he added the gravy. Fifty seven, Yeah, that's when poutine complete. Poutine was nineteen sixty three. But our next guy comes from in Drummondville, Jean Paul Roy, and he said, no, I had a place, a driving restaurant called LaRoy Juice up and in nineteen sixty four, which was clearly a year later, he said, I've been serving fries with this sauce though since nineteen fifty eight. I called it patat sauce, and he's a customer started adding cheese curds. I was selling those at the snack counter and they started dumping those in there. So he started doing that and added it to the regular menu and named it fromage patat sauce And kind of a fun little side note there, Apparently he couldn't find a container in his province like that could even hold this stuff.
Speaker 2: It was so heavy. So he had to go to Toronto to source a vendor who could provide these sturdy containers. Yeah, pretty fun.
Speaker 1: So poutine actually the name of it is it essentially means messy or mess at least in slang and Quebec for sure. But people say that it's probably your pop. Possibly one of the etymological theories is that it hails from the English word pudding and not putting like you and I think that has the jiggly skin off top that you have to peel off when you take it out of the refrigerator. This is putting as in like figgy pudding, which is essentially like a mixture of various foods, sometimes fig and that it can be kind of messy. It's not like it's just like a hodgepodge, just kind of mixed together that kind of messy. And so putine, possibly from poudine, is where this whole thing came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe one of the other like ten to fifteen explanations of root words like French words like pete or how would you say poutite, which is a potato regue, So that you know, no one agrees on that. Kind of like a lot of the stuff that we talk about with these origin stories of foods, a lot of people will they claim, and no one agrees on who the person is, although I'm sure there will people people write and say no, it's definitely for sure one of these people, or maybe even someone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what we do know is that it showed up from the more rural area of Sentre du Quebec to Quebec City in nineteen sixty nine at a place called Ashton Snack Bar. It made it to Montreal in nineteen eighty three, and then it started to spread far and wide from there. They say, we take a break and we come back and we trace poutine spread like so much gravy flowing over a pile of fries.
Speaker 2: Great, all right, So where we left off, poutine was spreading like brown gravy through the streets all over Canada. Different variations started to pop up, like Italian poutine with spaghetti, sauce or sausage instead of like the gravy veggie poutine. There are regional variations. Apparently Montreal style has smoke meat. I've had it, you know, have you? Yeah, how do you like it.
Speaker 1: It was great. I mean, it's hard to mess up poutine in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, as far as traditionalists go, it's just the straight up kurds and gravy.
Speaker 1: There was also one more thing. I'm sorry. There's also a restaurant in Toronto I can't remember, also totally name check, but they made like Korean poutine. Oh, I can't remember what made it Korean, but it was the bomb Okay. I think it had some sort of smoked meat on it as well.
Speaker 2: All right, I try that. By the seventies, poutine had spread to the United States and New York and New Jersey. They called it disco fries and use shredded motts instead of those cheese curds because you know, one thing we mentioned it was made where it was made, because you get those cheese curds fresh, and they say, like, hey man, if you're keeping these curds for a couple of days, they don't squeak anymore, and it's not the same. So this this disco fries thing is an abomination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a great name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty good.
Speaker 1: So it first started to spread to national restaurant chains back in nineteen eighty five, there was a Quebec fast food franchise called Freetz Frits and they did not last very long, but they seemed to be on record as the first national chain or at least large regional chain to feature poutine. But the one that really kind of kicked it off was Burger King. One of their franchisees, Jean Louis Roy, back in nineteen eighty seven, was like, I really want to offer poutine. Burger King, please let me offer poutine, and the Burger King thought on it and said, wish granted, And so this first burger King franchise started selling poutine, and I guess it sold well enough that Burger King was like, we're going to sell this in all of our Quebec restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah. McDonald's followed suit afterward. They added it to the menu in nineteen ninety and then in Quebec only, and then expanded to the rest of Canada and got a shout out Harvey's Canadian fast food joint. Harvey's started doing so in nineteen ninety two, and then something happened in the two thousands when sort of elevated comfort food became a thing and people were like let's let's try and charge you know, thirty five bucks for chicken pop pop.
Speaker 1: Yet Edison bulbs everywhere, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Edison bulbs, you know, lighting up rooms all over the place, like barely. So they said, yeah, let's let's do that with poutine. And I think Martin Picard of what's that restaurant Jo, that's right. He the first, supposedly, or at least first to become known for serving elevated poutine when he invented his Foi gras poutine.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and so other people are like, oh, foi gras, how about lobster? How about braised beef? And yeah, As you as more and more like professional chefs kind of did their own spin on it, it got further and further away from what it was originally. And I don't know who spoke to a chef, Hugh Atchison from Montreal, I believe right, he grew up in Ottawa, Okay, so but he grew up on poutine. He said there was a poutine truck parked down the street from his high school, which I would have been in big trouble every day if they're if I had grown up like that. But he's basically saying like the people who were coming up with these spins on it probably had never even been to Quebec, had never had actual poutine, and that it's not supposed to be gussied up. It's like a very simple, basic street dude. And he was really angry. I think in the interview they said that he kept pounding his fist and eventually took off his shoe and was pounding his shoe on the table while he.
Speaker 2: Was shouting about Oh, I don't believe that when Hugh attis in great person. He has restaurants here in Atlanta and Athens, Georgia, so he's a he's a top chef guy too, so I love volt.
Speaker 1: What's he? What's he?
Speaker 2: What? What?
Speaker 1: In Atlanta?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he you remember the coffee shop at Pont City Market that was his Oh okay, yeah, great downstairs and his Empire State South in Atlanta Edison Bulbs and yeah, Edison Bulbs. And then five and ten in Athens is his restaurant because Athens has got some like legit good restaurants.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, five and ten was great that that went in where what was the like super threadbare restaurant that had been there for a million years? Before five and ten, it was like an Athenon institution.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, I was just there. I tried to go to five and ten, but they were booked up because I went to those RAM shows again this year and the Athens is just still one of my favorite places to do great. Yeah, but this is about Quebec and Canada, and he actually and closes out his quote by saying, it's just really comforting garbage food.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, which I love. So I guess that's it, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got nothing else. You know, go visit Canada, go to Quebec and order some poutine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but even just maybe also if you can't make it to Quebec, like look up how to make as close an approximation as you can and enjoy it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that they're I think General Mirror here in Atlanta serves poutine, so you know, I might give that a shot.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, since Chuck said he's going to give it a shot, everybody, that'd mean short Stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Ever you listened to your favorite shows,