Speaker 1: To remove Dallan Deep Speed, wys Peace do hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 4: He's got my advands in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What is up, Dolphans And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, one of the funnest that's not a word, more fun practices of the new campaign. Here big plays Wow Throwers from QB one the Star wide receivers catching a lot of those balls. Iron sharpening Iron a rookie UDFA continues to pop. Commentary from Tyreek Butcher Barry, Darryl Bevill, John Embry plus will take you inside the thinking in terms of the evaluation and progression of camp and how it's viewed from a coach's perspective. All of that in a heck of a lot. More from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 3: The Drive Time Podcast. Maye take number two.
Speaker 2: Here's my recorder died earlier, so I hope I can give the exact same energy on this second rendition of this edition of the Draft Time Podcast. And I want to start here today with Butch Barry, because look, the whole point of this podcast is to be informative with a health the helping of mirth, jokes, silly goose time. And we got a great insight today into how coach views the progression of training camp. And we heard from McDaniel the other day about how early in his career snap and exchange issues might have bothered him a little bit more. And just real quick, there was not a single snap on the ground today.
Speaker 3: Go figure.
Speaker 2: But now coach has a has more of an understanding of the progression of incorporating new players in the pivot at guard, working with a quarterback you've never worked with before, especially in a system that prioritizes screaming off the football for offensive linemen. And I'll go ahead to explain this again in case you're new to the podcast and you've die hard. I have heard of this million times by now, But that's the entire construction and philosophy of this Dolphins offense. Fire off the ball in the run and pass game.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this is a benefit to us to employ a quarterback who sees the field better than anybody else in the National Football League and gets the ball out faster than anybody else in the National Football League. To help mitigate the number of true pass sets we have to incorporate to block these elite edge rushers that quite frankly, are going to be a mismatch every single week because they are six foot five, two hundred and sixty pound guys that run four five forties going up against three hundred and twenty pound offensive linemen that clocks six six two forties. And it's not really six to two, it's more like five flat. But it's a big difference. And we've also seen the college game kind of, you know, denigrate offensive line development with this. Get to the line of scrimmage, let's go ahead and snap the football. Don't even finish your block. Let's get into a vertical set. There's no real nuance to your pass sets. Just get in that vertical set, get your hands up, and let's go to the next play.
Speaker 3: So it's a big difference, right you.
Speaker 2: Kind of that's one way to mitigate the imbalance of pass rushers versus offensive line talent in the National Football League today. And so let's go ahead and get this audio from coach and then I have more on the concept of camp progression and not being results oriented in training camp. It's the same reason I try to not tweet, you know, eight chan runs for three because that's just not valuable information to you guys. What is valuable is an understanding of what's happening and trying to break down that stuff because then from there, the three yard gain doesn't give you any instruction to what could happen down the road. But if you have a better understanding of what you're seeing in terms of how the play develops in the progression and what guys are trying to do, that is going to provide a better look into the future. Look, I'm not some purveyor of what's going on at all times on the football field. I don't have the benefit of rewind watching it live. I try my best, but I can't see everything. But that is why I go to the sound bites and the guys that do have the practice tape, that do rewind this stuff and watch it over and over again, and they know every single play, the aim for every single player. So first the snaps and how the offensive line coach views the progression of snaps good or bad in training camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, obviously that's that's something that's just a process that we have to go through. Obviously I want it to be better and cleaner at all times, and if it's not perfect, it's not good enough.
Speaker 1: It's how I view it.
Speaker 4: But I also understand that there's a learning curve with all of it, and as long as we're making progress in the right direction, it's something that it's an ongoing deal. And it's one of those things that everyone thinks it's as simple as but it's not as simple as when you have a guy across from me that's a really good athlete, that's three hundred and fifty whatever his weight is, and all he's trying to do is mess you up, right, And so you're thinking that you have to do the same thing back, but you gotta get the snap first.
Speaker 2: He was also asked a follow up coach Barry was about when that clicks into place in his experience, and while he said there's no timeline to assign it to, he said it's a relentless drilling of live speed reps, not just in team period, but in individuals, and he compared it to you know something that I like a lot in here in the golf swing where it's tough to explain, but when it gets there, you just kind of feel it. And to expand upon that, you know, whether it's golf or baseball, any sport where you swing a stick, I imagine hockey's the same way. Maybe I'm wrong, but when you strike the sweet spot of the club or the bat or the stick, you don't really feel the contact. Whereas if you toe strike it or he'll strike it, or hit the end of the bat or get jammed off the handle, you are going to feel that vibration in your hands. Whereas we stripe one hundred and eighty five yard seven iron down the middle, you probably didn't feel it all that much if you hit a flush. And that's kind of the same idea with this, like once you rep it and rep it rep it, you start to figure out the mechanics of how it works from an individual perspective and then it just kind of clicks into place. And so coach was asked more to follow up on that with how he views offensive line play, and he was asked this really cool question because we see this offensive line group go through these different iterations of line combinations and cross training and it's so valuable for these guys if you're not going to be a starter to have multiple position flexibility. Right, you can't just be an exclusive left tackle unless you know you're Patrick Paul and you're the long term future there, right, Like you need to be able to play guard if that's not your role on the team. And so with all that cross training, how do you facilitate the timing of this offense, which is such an integral part of how it works. How do you facilitate that with the guy's cross training. Here's coach Butch Berry on how he views what his job is and the progression of training camp from day one up until day one of the regular season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think there are some things that we're able to kind of subjectly put it in. So if we want to block a defender at the second level based upon number one things, understand what scheme we're running, right, Number two, Understand what type of track of the back has. Number three obviously you got understand your defensive personnel, all right, So with all that information, we can give a starting point for if I'm on the play side of a player, if I'm on the backside of a play, So we start with the starting point of a concept right now, being a professional, that's where we can go individually and find tune. Hey, for you, let's let's move this aiming point a little bit further, a little bit tighter, right So now when we have that, we can start to.
Speaker 1: Really get detailed.
Speaker 4: But everything starts as a starting point. So everyone starts with the same starting point, and that's what we rep. That's what we rep. That's what we rep, that's what we rep, and that's what we're going through right now. So when things may not look perfect at times in practice, because we're going off a starting point now is I know each guy better and better and better, and based upon the personnel that we're going against and having pads on now I can start to find tune that. Hey, you've got to be a little tighter theory point. Hey, you got to be a little wider theating point, because who it is, who the defense personnel, who the offensive player is, all those things. That's where now you know what I mean, And that's probably in the next week and we started to get to Atlanta, that's where we can start to get into those details per our players and then per who we're going against right. So right now, we're just trying to get the process of what is the starting point of every block that we do relative to every scheme in backfield action.
Speaker 2: And to just put a bow on this particular point. Coach Barry was asked about what quantifies a good camp for Patrick Paul, but he answered it in a more general sense, which I think, you know, I think is better because it just it kind of continues the idea of what we're talking about here. But this is probably the first time I've heard a coach talk about something like this. So for someone who hasn't missed a camp or an OTA practice since twenty nineteen, I've been to every practice since OTA is twenty nineteen. I'm trying to be coachable and always learning about this game. And I thought this was incredibly instructive from butcher Berry.
Speaker 4: That would be something where we, like number one, understanding fundamentally how we want to approach.
Speaker 1: A pass block.
Speaker 4: Okay, everything of that entails with your set in initiation of contact, second run game, how do I initiate that, what's my approach, how do I attack defenders? What's my leverage on every play relative to the concept. Right, So that has to begin there. If I understand that that means, and then I'm understanding what we're doing as an offense. Now, I think that's a great training camp, right. Is it based upon production results? No, at some point we all know that that matters, but not for the training camp at this point.
Speaker 2: Fantastic stuff there. Let's go ahead and stay on the line and make that first position group that we hit here today on the podcast. I think Aaron Brewer has had a fantastic couple of days here, especially where I saw him opening lanes, squatting and anchoring and pass sets and the best part about his game and the athletic ability getting out in space. I mean, we saw it today. I saw him carry a block on fifty six Quentin Bill. I had fifty eight my notes, and I was like, ah, that's fifty six because he got to the edge and Quentin Bell has been around with the one, so that's kind of where it made the most sense. And he carried this block all the way out to the perimeter ten yards down the field and just buried a dude where I was like, oh, okay, yeah, that's that's the that's the old Michael or block from the blind side. Sandy Bullock would have lover that from the sidelines. So Aaron Brewer nice day to day. Let's go ahead and get some more audio here from coach Butch Berry, who talked about Aaron Brewer ahead of practice today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think in every phase of his game, we can make him a better run blocker, we can make him better pass bloker. I think in every phase of his game. I feel very strongly about the assets that he has that are his talents, and then where we can from a skill set work.
Speaker 1: To get better.
Speaker 2: And I wanted to play that because it tracks with you know, the podcast. But I think the words that he said were valuable, but the tone of how he said that to me was more valuable. I saw some of you guys on Twitter, you know, praising this hire of coach Butch Berry and how great it's been, you know, the first offensive line coach to return for a second year since like you know, Chris Furster back in twenty sixteen seventeen, And you know, I mean, shoot, we went through two head coaches in three days back when Brian Flores's first year, Pat Flurry got fired like on day three on his day off two And I thought The answer was a great indicator of how this staff knows exactly what they're doing at that position and what traits they need to make it successful, and how they can you know, spat a talent in Austin Jackson and they can get that talent to emerge, which it hadn't done previously, right and successfully enough so to be the number one offense in the National Football League, which is a point of contention that I see so frequently from you know, not just Dolphins fans, but national media, Like I see Mina Kimes all the time talking about the offensive line.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, it's okay.
Speaker 2: So the ESPN Insider List hates the offensive line, they hate the quarterback Tyreek they think is great. They don't think Wall is a top twenty receiver. So how that Raheemos was a twenty first running back? Like, how the hell was it the number one offense in the NFL? Then, Like the math isn't that up there? You know, not a math guy, but two plus two ekals five? Right? Okay, last one here, and maybe it's just filler, but I think it's important. I've run so much audio on here of players praising Butcher's approach to to you know, coaching. So I asked him, why is it so important to you to have that collaborative approach with your player?
Speaker 4: Well, just what we just talked about, and I think that's right there, understanding what your personnel is. Right. And a guy once he is trying to do my starting point, but maybe he's not having the success that I've had with another player on that starting point, he can articulate to me, Well, because we've done that starting point, we do a lot of the same things over and over. He can articulate to me, Hey, I'm struggling with this right, and I've been putting a lot of thought into for me and my body. Here's what I think. And then sometimes I say, no, I don't agree with that. Here's what I think, and there's given taker sometimes like I think you're exactly right. I think let's go with that, and then I'll work with you.
Speaker 1: With that avenue.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of variables with each scenario on.
Speaker 2: That Let's go ahead and take a break right there. I have so much more to get to, including a great day from the quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: Next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield brought to you by I dontation talked offensive line play butcher Berry and segment one and then we go ahead and scoop back to the quarterback position, the guy's under center, which was positively on this Thursday with Tua just dominants as usual. And then I thought Skyler had himself a great day and has put together a very solid camp cumulatively. In fact, Skyler had another play today that just shows me how it's slowing down for him and how much better he's seeing it. And I, you know, you go back to the podcast the All twenty two breakdowns and you know, during Scaler's starts in his rookie season, and I just got so frustrated because like he just wasn't seeing it. And I remember talking to Brett Coleman, the great film analysts from you know, the Film Room podcast and the Bootleg Football podcast and NFL media as well, and he was like, yeah, just give Skyler some time, because you know that Kansas State offense, like the verbia is and the amount of plays that you have in a McDaniel offense is going to be four times what he ran at Kansas State. And going back to the offensive line discussion, playbooks are just a lot easier in the college game, and I'm watching this guy play the game now and he's seeing it better and ripping it, and it's you know, I go back to that that rookie season when everyone's like, oh, Skylar Thompson's arm strength and he has all these great preseason stats, and then of course the regular season comes around and the production changes and it's a different ballgame, and it's you know, I get so bogged down in this point because I'm currently like in search of a new national NFL podcast because the death of the Round the NFL podcast, which again I say, like, you know, I try to be as informative as possible on this show, and I want to do that, and I think I've done that pretty well, but I also think maybe I just episodes in the past that were too informative and not enough fun, because I think in a podcast, it has to be a fun setting for a thirty minute show. It can't just be dense information. And that's why I love the Around the NFL podcast, and they killed that thing. So I'm trying to find the new one. And one of the ones that was recommended to me was The Athletic Football Show with Robert Mays and he's a great host and a very insightful person. But I saw a tweet from the other day where he was like, you know, crapping on to as a fifty three million dollars quarterback because he wants more traits.
Speaker 3: And then what does he do.
Speaker 2: He goes out and brings Derek Klassen in, the quarterback guy that only cares about quarterback trade and I'm you know, I'm looking at this stuff with Justin Herbert who has a planter fashion injury, and you know, they say he's going to play week one, but is he hurt again? Because you know next up on get up here, they regret the contract. We're going to talk about that for three straight days. We're going to talk about his bad production last year, his bad production twenty twenty two. We're going to talk about any of that. We're going to talk about how, you know, he should retire because he's been hurt too much. Like I just want to know when it's going to even out for these quarterbacks that have you know, all shown really good ability. And the reason I bring this up is because you know, I'm so sick of the Herbert traits stuff like and you know that the scholar Thompson preseason that one year was all traits, right, But then you get into playing the position where I need to be able to understand what the defense is doing, how my offense attacks that particular play, and where their adjustments are, where my side adjustments are, and how the ball has to come out at a certain time and a certain location to execute the offense to execute what they're doing to us. It's such a critical part of the position. It's the most important part.
Speaker 3: Of the position.
Speaker 2: And that's why two was so good, and that's why I don't think those folks appreciate to it as much because he executes the offense and was handpicked by the quarterback or the quarterback whisper the offensive genius, right Mike McDaniel, who went to his you know, personnel staff and was like, I want this guy here long term because he makes my offense.
Speaker 3: Go.
Speaker 2: Like, how are we not taking that as the serious like end all be all part of the conversation, and instead we're trusting these people that you know. I respect the film study analysts crowd as much as anybody, but like, gosh, the game is not played in trades. Dog gets played in production, and you know what you do between the lines and how you execute an offense and how you communicate a play call, and it's there's so much more than arm strength. Dude, like drives me crazy, and so with Skylar Thompson, I see major growth in that area because today was this blitz installer. You know, tons of blitzes and throwing the kitchen sink at the offense, various looks and overload pressures and zero looks and disguises, just challenging the quarterbacks every single step of the way, and they responded in a big way. The best play I think of Skyler Thompson's entire career so far was a touchdown throw he had the Jody Fortson where Channing Tyndall sprung free a free run to the quarterback, but Skyler saw it, felt it, got to a spot where he could get to a threatening throwing position and got the ball hot to replace the blitz with the football for a touchdown. And I've seen that a couple times this camp. So that's a high level quarterback play and that's way more important than Zach Wilson running around in shorts at a BYU Pro day where he shows you cool throws on air in a controlled environment that he showed on tape against future insurance sales them running six five forty yard dashes chasing him around provo. You know that's not what you get at lambeau Field or you know at MetLife Stadium.
Speaker 3: Like, it's a different ballgame, bro.
Speaker 2: You have to be able to play from the pocket and play between the ears and outsmart the opposition, and execute the offense as they are designed by these genius coordinators. That's how NFL football is played. And I saw that with Skoylar Thompson today in this training camp opposed to you know, his rookie year kind of just playing on vibes, right. He also had some good ball placement, including a gorgeous throw to Malik Washington at the back pylon in one on ones today and also just real quick to put a point on that as well. Please don't get mad and my mentions when I talk about running fades, it's it's every football practice of all time and one on ones you're gonna see fades. If they want to get open with a fade, if the quarterback wants to try that throw, they're gonna run in practice. I know it was not successful last year and some instances and third downs and whatnot in the red zone. But don't get mad when I tell you about a great rep on on air or you know, one on ones in a fade route. Okay, all right, so tua, let's let's talk too, shall we. I want to start here with some audio from coach Bevill. You know, I asked coach McDaniel the other day about the ball handling importance at the quarterback position and the importance of executing your play fax and being able to influence the defense with play action. And the way you do that is your run action and the ball handling and the running game is you have to sell the same action and you have to be deliberate with that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So didn't really get that, you know, pure answer from coach on that one, But from Darryl Bevell today we did. And it's kind of two soundbites here put together. So two quotes here from coach Bevell on the importance of ball handling and the kind of the points they drew with to a tongue of Bi Lowe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we're I mean, we're always trying to, you know, see if we can pull one guy out of the defense.
Speaker 3: On really all of our run game. You know, that's that's our job.
Speaker 5: It's not a playoff. You know. One one we have to be able to to get it to the running backs on the on the white course that we have, but also is continue to carry out our fakes to be able to affect if.
Speaker 1: We can affect one guy out of the defense, and we've done our job.
Speaker 5: So we try to do that each and every play. But we we coach a lot on you know, how we want them to hand it off, what we want them to do with their hands, and then also like the tempo with which as you're referring to the tempo with which they come off the fake, I think that intent that they have that you know, the backside defenders can can recognize that or see that. So yeah, we're trying to do that every play we can.
Speaker 2: All let's go ahead and do the two of highlights now, so again one on one period for him. Location is always still er. There's no point in covering it every single day, but I will say the timing of it has just been impeccable. Like the guys out breaks, the ball is usually on them, which again is kind of a copy and paste, but it's worth noting.
Speaker 3: I suppose that for that much.
Speaker 2: His first throw and team was this forty or fifty yard strike I didn't count exactly to Tyreek Hill, and I think it was a sack by Zack Steeler who kind of got around the edge and dipped back inside to meet Tua when he hitched up, but to a man like springing off that back foot hitches up delivers a great ball that was right there on Tyreek for a big completion. So a great throw, great route, great catch. But I think Zach's great pass rush was the one that won the play. But it's always good to see the whole thing play out and get you know, good on good on good. He also had a handful of catch rock throw completions, a bunch of those of Tyreek where you know, a little short hitch on third and five to six yards to move the sticks that you know, deep stem comeback down the hooks one eighteen yards where we fired that thing in there between two defenders. But here's what I wanted to focus on today, because you know, we'll go to coach Bev for some audio here about the added mobility and how it's you know, progressing Tua's game and how it's added to the overall body of work to mobility. Let's go ahead and hear first from coach Bevill on Tua's added mobility.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think every year, you know, you try to evaluate where you're at and try to find the improvements that you can make. And I think that's one of the things that that we've talked about. And you know, I mean you could see it. He's he's a little bit he's a little bit slimmer, but you know, you still want to make sure that you're still strong, and you know, it's not it's not like we're trying to turn him into you know, Lamar or Russell Wilson or any of those things. But being able to to escape the pocket be a little bit more explosive just can only benefit you. But again, the strength of his game is being on time, throwing with quickness, throwing with accuracy and seeing the field.
Speaker 2: I thought today was just a fantastic example of exactly that. Lots of pressure, Disgui's looks and just stuff that can make a quarterback's mind swim a little bit. But I thought too did a fantastic job of not just getting away from the pressure, but sensing it and feeling it. You know, I watch all those videos that JT. O. Sullivan does, and one of the things that he always stresses with all the offenses is sliding your protection in a way that if you're going to have a free runner, make it be the guy that's in the quarterback's face something he can see it, so it's not off the blind side. And on one play today Ramsey came around the edge and bent the arc and gosh, Jalen is so explosive and has so much speed off the edge where he even blocked a field goal today, or would have if they didn't you know, if he didn't pull up at the end to not you know, take out his holder and kicker. But he just comes screaming off the edge. On this particular rep, he beat Austin Jackson around the outside. But to have felt that even though it's his blind side right hitched up and scrambled his way through a vacant gap on the offensive line or I guess the defensive line, and that right there is the impact of his running ability, because now you have a guy who can not only you know, beat you hot with the football when you blitz. But now if he doesn't do that, now he has the option to scramble and make you pay with his legs, especially if you're in man coverage, because that's where all those vacancies come from. Where you see some of these top running quarterbacks really exploit defense is who blitz and then play man coverage. And if they play it right, then you still have to finally way get the quarterback to the ground because if you don't, he can escape for a big play with his feet.
Speaker 3: And so that's not going to be Tua's game.
Speaker 2: But if he can simply add a five yard scramble a post what maybe was a six yard sack in the past, that's going to change the entire dynamic of this offense. And that was a major part of his scouting profile back at Bama right his ability to erase free rushers and basically you know, the quick twitch elusiveness to get off the spot and make some plays to his feet, but also extend plays to hit bigger throws down the field. So I think the added a loosenesth's going to help him, it's gonna help the offense, it's going to help the running game because of what he can do off of that boot action. It just has a ripple effect that's going to, I think, very very greatly impact this offense in a positive fashion. There was one play where they dial up this overload pressure with the safety coming off the edge and you know, it gets in, but there's a small crease that opens up on the inside and to a sprints through it for a game where he had like five or six yards before the defense originally convert. And that's just the example of the nimbleness that goes from you know, second and fifteen to second and five, which is a massive, massive difference. As for the throws, well, there were plenty of those as well. The back of the end zone throw from the twenty five yard line or so, where he you know, a thirty five yard touch pass that's literally Wattle plants his feet in the back of the end zone and extends his hands up and then it kind of starts to fall back to maximize the amount of space he has, and he catches it and falls down and the ref comes over and hits him with the touchdown signal. Just a pinpoint, perfect throw from like thirty five yards away. He also hit Tyreek on this little touch pass over the curl flat defender underneath the half field safety. Just this nice touch throw right in that soft spot, right on time. And then two of my favorite throws came against what do you know, more pressure ones, A thirty five yard touchdown strike to Julian Hill. On this one, Ramsey shows blitz and Tua sees it, makes a check and then Ramsey ends up backing off. But because of the check, I think what the defense was expecting this run that he had or this back off blitz.
Speaker 3: I should say that he have.
Speaker 2: They don't reroute Julian Hill, who takes a free release right in the middle of the field and two finds him for a wide open touchdown. Just smart quarterback play man. The other one was a forty yard touchdown to Waddle. In the situational period, they're trying to get themselves into field goal range and the defense goes this zero blitz man coverage and if you do that against us, you might pay, And that's exactly what happened. Wattle runs a slamt Two puts it round the upfield shoulder. Kind of reminded me of the opening day touchdown against the Patriots two years ago for touchdown. Let's go ahead and pivot here now, or not pivot, but go back to the tight end that I talked about there, Julian Hill, who made some plays in this practice and continues to knock heads as a blocker. Let's go ahead and hear from John Embry on how the second year tight end has progressed in his second year.
Speaker 6: You know, when you're in this offense and you start getting comfortable with it, then you can do as I say, play the game within the game. So now with him, I'm at a different level as far as coaching him, teaching him kind of what defenses are doing so you can anticipate some things. Whereas when you're first running the offense, I just want you to know your assignment and then we'll figure.
Speaker 1: Out some other things later.
Speaker 6: So with him, now we're doing some things going to the next level.
Speaker 1: He is very physical.
Speaker 6: He reminds me of a guy had when I was in Kansas City, Jason Dunn, as far as being that physical tone setter, kind of kind of player, and that's exactly what he is.
Speaker 2: Always nice when a guy that you highlight scores a long touchdown. Julian's had a nice camp so far, and then with Waddle man like he's going to be the Orange jersey. Prediction for tomorrow today was a chance, So I was wrong again on that, but I'm with Tua or Waddle for tomorrow. And gosh, Wattle's catching everything to put a bow on it like Tua was.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That was one of those special quarterback performances today and those are always such a treat to watch. And oh yeah, I almost forgot one of the best moments of the entire day from Tua for me before we go back to Wattle. Here was an incomplete pass where Tua throws a football inside Tyreek breaks outside miscommunication. It happens right, and then the huddle comes to the other at the conclusion of the play, and the quarterback often you know, stands on the periphery of the huddle while guys kind of come together to get back in shape for the next play, and he gives the call to the offense after that. But on this one, he takes a few extra steps away from the huddle and kind of motioned Tyreek like Peyton Mann used to do. Right at the end cut there, Dallas get the end cut there, Brandon Stokely Marvin Harrison and Tyreek kind of like taps his head for the universal sign of like my bad dog.
Speaker 3: So I asked Tyreek about that moment.
Speaker 7: Man, Look, I'd be so fired up, I'd be so ready to go against Ramsey bro that sometimes I forget my freaking route, man. And on that play, like he threw it to a spot he was right, and I went out and it was supposed to be in and I was just so fired up and ready that like sometimes like when you get like sowing the mold and going against these guys, it's like you don't even be thinking sometimes, like you hear a word and you like, okay, you automatically assume you got that.
Speaker 1: But it's just one of those things.
Speaker 7: That I got to be in the right spot at the right time, and he came and told me.
Speaker 1: Come on, Reek, like I need you in the right spot. So I was in the wrong spot.
Speaker 2: The reason I run that audio, and I think that's so cool is just the peer ownership of the offense, the unquestioned leader of this football team. I mean, it was two years ago when the national media headlines were wondering how could the Dolphins fully maximize Tyreek Hill, who by the way, has had the best two year run of his career here and now here we are and Tua is getting on him a little bit more than like you know, Dan Marino style. And I just love that because I talked to Juice about this and he's like, yeah, that's me and Danny and Camp most of the years.
Speaker 3: You got to have that to get better.
Speaker 2: So just a really cool, all around, all encompassing day from QB one back to Waddle. I think he's been the best player we've had out here from day one to now.
Speaker 3: Just a total stud.
Speaker 2: Let's actually go ahead and go back to Tyreek on the work that Jalen Wattle put in this summer and why he thinks Jalen's going to just keep getting better.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: You know what, obviously, when you got the mindset and you take the right approach on you know, wanting to lean on some of some of the veteran guys that you got in the room, and he's done a tremendous job with it, leaning on myself, of leading on.
Speaker 1: Coach Welker.
Speaker 7: He's done a great job of like being real coachable, you know, in that aspect of it.
Speaker 1: And for me, that's what.
Speaker 7: I told him, I said, when I came into the league, you know, it's a lot of guys who are real talented, but the guys that are successful in this league or the ones that are real coachable, you know what I'm saying, Like, because at the end of the day, we all trying to get better.
Speaker 1: Like, ain't none of us perfect?
Speaker 7: I mean, I can go for two thousand yards, there's still ways that I can get better.
Speaker 1: And for him.
Speaker 7: He's coming He's come in with a different approach on what routes I need to get better at. How can I be, you know, more talkative with the quarterback and what spots I need to be in and stuff like that, and so far as paid off for him. Man, he came out here like each and every day busting his tail and we still compete in his team versus my team in one on ones, you know, and you can see at the end of the camp, man, the results paid off. Like he's busting his tail. He scored a big one at the end.
Speaker 2: Big plays, big catches, touchdowns, one on one wins for Jaillen Waddle. He looks every bit the part of a true star. Number one wide receiver. Last receiver note here is River Craycraft who go kooks, catches everything, dude. He had three balls today where I'm like, there's no way that ball gets complete. There's a cornerback that's all over him and it's not going to be a completion. As the ball goes up in the air and then eighty five comes down with it, it looks like he has velcrow on his jersey and the ball has velcro that attaches to it because he catches everything. And Tyreek Hill, who he plays a game now every year with Gilen Waddle as the captain of the other team where they have these point assignments and every team tries to win the practice. They have two receiver team try to win the practice and Tyreek say, is up four to one right now or five to one I think it was, And he was asked, why do you always take River Craycraft first on your team?
Speaker 7: Grill is one of those guys that he understands the offense and he's he's always in the right place. And last year when we was doing this we counted blocks. He's that one guy that's gonna make a key block for a chain of most of the break win, like to the house every time and that's why I always Pete rio Man because he's smart, he knows what to be at on the field, and you can always account for him. And he's one of those guys.
Speaker 2: All right, go ahead and get to our last break right here and finish up in segment three in the mode of extra points and Orange Jersey predictions. That's next Draft Time podcast to your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation Real Quick, on the topic of wide receivers. I'm sure you guys saw Willie Snead, the fourth I believe is that where it is was signed to come in here and compete, and he was a guy that played the last couple of years in San Francisco. And I think what you have here, and this is me talking, I think what you have is, you know a guy that knows the offense can come in today and play and give you reps and kind of lighten the workload because Obj's not out there. Ericazukama hasn't been out there for a couple of days. Taj Washington got hurt. Some of the young guys I think maybe coming along slowly, like they probably needed a guy that knew the offense.
Speaker 3: I can run multiple positions.
Speaker 2: Hence, I think that's why he's here, and I think would be a good option for your practice squad come the regular season in that exact same role and also helped coach up the young guys. So that's kind of my thought. There some more extra points notes here. Jalen Wright gosh, gosh, he looks good. He looks really really good. His ability to hit those quick inside runs like some inside zone stuff has stood out in a big way. I think he might be a touchdown maker for you in mid and low red zone because he had a touchdown run today in mid red zone where he got skinny and hit that gap with conviction. He sees that a gap and he just goes for it. Then he scores in the next play, and two offensive line were like dancing around in the end zone, which tells me like they think that they had a legit touchdown there. So fun moment. But you pair that with his speed to the edge, it's just impressive. An impressive looking player. I think if you just dropped me into Dolphins camp without any institutional knowledge of the team, I would say, like, why does this team have three starting running backs with thirty one twenty eight and twenty five. That's really how I view it. Alec Ingold's also a starter and he's a great player. He had some awesome work today, including an absolute slobber knocker block where he comes across the formation and clear to laying out for one of those you know, gliding raheemoster runs. Jeff Wilson had a third and one conversion in a situation spot today, so really good word from the running backs. Continue to love that role for Hefe. A couple of rough days. I thought Keon Smith wasn't his best day or his best camp so far. I think it's it was better last year in my opinion. He's doing some cross raining. I think maybe is. You know, it's tough on some guys, but that's the progress we're gonna watch in tracking as we go forward here. And then Jody Fortson has a lot of drops this camp, man, I don't know what's going on with that. Some more rough days. I thought Ethan Bonner was kind of the guy that got picked on a little bit today. Mike White the ball was kind of spray all over the field with him, and then Malik Washington a couple more drops that just seem a little bit out of character for him. Back on defense, here chop Robinson another sack today. It's been copy and paste every day for him. Extremely fast out of his stands, very very productive. I thought Jonathan Harris had a really good day getting off blocks and reading things from that stack and shed position. Funny enough, I asked Benito Jones, like, what's the process been like for you getting to kind of nail down Anthony Weaver's defense and all those fronts they run, Like, how's it coming along? He's like, dude, I'm a nose tackle. It's like pretty much shed blocks and that's it. So stack and shed blocks. Man was like, all right, I appreciate the trend exparency there, Benito, But Tierre Tart doesn't do that role. He's more of a dynamic tackle and he had some dominant reps where he stacked things up. He also had a sack on a blowby rep with pure speed. He looks to me like he did on Titan's tape before things kind of got nasty at the end of the year last year. Jordan Brooks might be the best addition this team has made this offseason. I've been very high on Kendall Fuller, but it might be Jordan Brooks because he just makes plays in every single way. Today he condensed down off the edge and rushed and then felt the now screen throw to Tyreek Hill and he pulled up and got himself in the passing line and deflected it for the PBu run game, pass, game, rush, stack, scrape, edge, deep, hook drop. It doesn't matter what whatever you asked him to do, He's made plays in every facet so far of training camp. Quentin Bell Emmanuel Ogball both flashed again, pretty regular occurrences for those two guys. Cater Co, who is my pick for the defense of Orange Jersey because he was awesome in this practice. Three pass breakups, two of those on waddle, just competing his ass off and making all kinds of plays. He looks very locked in, and we had him for media after practice and he kind of like had some issue to him, like, yeah, you know, that's what I'm supposed to be doing, Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: It just seems very locked into me.
Speaker 2: Patrick McMorris had a nice play locking down a deep route at one point in practice where Zeke Vandenberg rerouted him into the coverage and then McMorris picked it up. I was impressed by that storm Duck. I think this is the guy that's gonna make the football team. He made a couple of plays today and really kind of, you know, earned that right of I can't wait to see this guy play the third and fourth core of a preseason game because this front office has made it a habit of finding udfas every year, especially in that defensive backfield. And through seven days of practice, to me, he made the most plays and I think he has the look of a guy that can play at this level. I thought Marcus May was terrific today. He had an outstanding pick and one on ones where it looked like it was going to be a catch, and he got back into the hand fight and batted the ball up and then secured the catch going to the ground the referees rule to inbound toe tap on the sideline. And then he also came down from depth and fit this run. That kind of shows you his range of capabilities. I think between you know, Jevon Holland today spent a lot of time working with cornerbacks coach Matthew Arugo, and I continue to believe the best nickel package this team can run out there right now given their personnel, and maybe Cater's telling me I'm wrong on this with his production lately, but maybe we just have more options than I think is with Javana's kind of that star like Minka Fitzpatrick role at Alabama, that star slot position with Poyer and May playing the roof, and then obviously Ramsey and Fuller can kick all around the formation as well, with kind of like Elijah Campbell as that next man up slash Corps special team in the safety group, or Cater Coohu comes in and slots in the slot positioner on the perimeter, like they've got options. This defensive backfield's deep. It's good, but I think that Holland in that role to me is very intriguing. And then I just want to mention like the variety of pressures and looks and fronts and different coverages like they did so much defensively today. I just think it's going to be a vastly different defense from a structure standpoint than what you've seen in the past. One last note, Jason Matrie also had a pick in one on ones and again I already gave us to you.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and do it again.
Speaker 2: The Orange Jersey predictions are Tua no, no, no, check that, check that, check that, Jalen Wattle number one to a tongue of my low number two, cater coohu number three. We have a scrimmage on Saturday, a practice tomorrow, so one more pod cast tomorrow and then the Saturday scrimmage from Hard Rocks. Hey, and you guys can come out to that if you want. I believe the information to get tickets to that is on the website. It's free, but you have to go reserve your tickets. So go ahead and do that and come see us at hard Rocks Stadium. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, sit your tune in, whatever you your podcast from.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on social at People NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for media Availabilities, Dolphins Today, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, fins Up, go on. Cameron Daddy just coming home.