Speaker 1: The good news is that the most powerful biohacks are free. In biohacking the definition and I thought really hard about this. It's the art and science of changing the environment around you and inside you so you have control. So first, what are the goals if you're a mom with four kids? I have two kids, and I know the goals always. I just want to have enough energy right and I got to make sure I put food on the table and all these things. And it's like, can I show up right now the way my family needs me? So what are the affordable or free things?
Speaker 2: That was Dave Aspury, the father of biohacking, sharing some free hacks to the multi billion dollar industry, promising to help you live a longer life. What if you could hack your health without spending a fortune? In this special My Legacy episode, we're breaking down small, powerful habits that cause big results. Host Martin Luther King the third Aren't Your Waters King, Mark Kilberger and Craig Kilberger dive into biohacking with their guests Jay Shehtty and Roddy dev Lukiya reveal how resetting your taste buds can transform your health, and Deepak Chopra shares how you can get your own free personal health coach Kicking things Off. Dave aspreed drops three free or low cost biohacks for more energy and better sleep.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of skepticism when biohacking came as an idea.
Speaker 4: That was great.
Speaker 3: Well, I can ask what gave you the drive to push through that skepticism to bring it to mainstream.
Speaker 1: Well, I was pretty sick when I was young. I had Asperger syndrome. It's a form of autism, a lot of weird behavioral issues, fat at arthritis since I was fourteen. And when I reversed all that with what is now biohacking, my goal was I want five people to read my blog, and if they don't go through the hell I went through, I have done my active service. I thought about making it a nonprofit. I didn't collect a list, I didn't do anything. I made a quarter million a year. I had stock options at a publicly traded computer security company because I'm a computer hacker. I was a pretty good one back then. So it was that I don't want people to go through it. I went through, and then after I recovered, like I'm not going to stop, and I was you can make your brain work better than you ever imagined, and you can reverse your age, and you can. I'm six percent body fat and I was really obese with a forty six inch waist, and I feel so good. And when my brain works, I'm nice to other people. And you give me MSG and the wrong foods and I feel like I'm doing exercises with my middle finger muscles, like I'm a jerk, right, So being HYPOGLIBITCHI was a problem for me. So I just want to teach people, and I write all my stuff. If I was nineteen or twenty and I just would have known this, it would have saved me a million dollars to recover, and the other million and a half was for longevity. I'm happy with that. But the suffering, all the times I was just a jerk to people, it was not because I was a bad person. It was because my hardware wasn't working right.
Speaker 5: One of the things, though, that I that I often think about, is that there is a certain privilege if you will, to longevity or health. What advice would you give a single parent with four children that she wants to be as healthy as she can be, and she wants her children healthy. But we all know it's much more expensive to eat at I'm not going to say the name of places, you know, versus getting a.
Speaker 3: Value mil at XPlay.
Speaker 5: So what are things that she can incorporate for the health of herself and her children.
Speaker 1: The good news is that the most powerful bioacs are free. In biohacking the definition and I thought really hard about this. It's the art and science of changing the environment around you and inside you so you have control. So first, what are the goals if you're a mom with four kids? I have two kids, and I know the goals always. I just want to have enough energy, right, and I got to make sure I put food on the table and all these things. So you look at it from that lens, and whether you gain or lose ten pounds probably isn't your biggest goal. Of course, we all want to lose the weight, but that's not most important. It's like, can I show up right now the way my family needs me? So what are the affordable or free things? One of them is sunlight. Go outside without glasses on for twenty minutes in the morning and it actually charges your mitochondria and it sets you up to get better sleep. At night. Number two, turn off the lights at night, get some dimmer switches, so sunlight in the morning and darkness in the evening, and eating dinner a little bit earlier, even if it's not the best dinner. And then you look at, Okay, what are the food choices I can make for the same amount of money that are better choices. And as an example, if you learn how to cook, it doesn't have to be fancy French cooking. White rice is really cheap and it's better for you than French fries. Butter is not more expensive than many other foods on a per calorie basis. It's cheaper than vegetables. So now you're getting good fats instead of some canola oil. So you didn't spend any more money, but you're more nourished. And your kids are not having these blood sugar swings that makes them into little monsters, right, And they say, how do I get more protein? And I used to say eggs, but man, they've gone expensive lately. And if you go to a place like a costco when you get a big old hunk of meat, it still can be two dollars a pound, and you say, but that's a lot of work. To cook it. It's not boil some water, throw the rice in there, chop up the meat. Throw the meat in there, and add some spices. It's called soup and it's highly nutritious. And you can do that for less than you'll spend at mickeyeas I did not have the privilege of health as a kid. I was antibiotics every month for fifteen years. I was pretty sick. And so when I regain my health, this is powerful and the whole idea of biomicking. We change our environments so we become healthier. It's not about going out and spending a bunch of money. It's about just no one give us the manual for the body, and if you just know what to do, you can have leverage. And one thing I've done a couple of shows on this, so I've mentioned on shows that just it just makes me angry. So vitamin D is a longevity SEP one. It's five dollars a month. It's a very very cheap drug.
Speaker 5: They're very critical, particularly for black children.
Speaker 1: Well there you go.
Speaker 5: More deficient traditionally.
Speaker 1: Not just for black children, for black parents. Yeah, these good parents they take third kids to the hospital because they're crying, and then hospital says, well there's five broken bones. Which of you beat the child? And then because deserve child, we love our child, we didn't beat him. And they say, well, you're gonna We're gonna take the child to CPS unless one of you confesses. So then the guys confess and they go to jail. And doctor Kennell from the Vitamin D Research Institute has testified dozens of times to help get black men out of jail for a nutrient deficiency that has nothing to do with abuse. And the more we're indoors, the less sunshine we get. I have very pale skin. I don't get enough sunshine. If my skin was darker, I would need it even a bigger dose. Right, So teaching that this very cheap supplement makes for better brains, less risk of diabetes, cancer, all the bad stuff, and that the darker your skin and the more north you live, and the more you endoors, the more you need. This is cheaper than one meal at McDonald's. And just the knowledge is so critical? Is it just tell me what to do with very little money or no money to get results?
Speaker 5: You should have dnk to go the correct you should have.
Speaker 1: D have to have vitamin K because vitamin K stops the tissues from getting all crusty as.
Speaker 4: Your age.
Speaker 6: To pack.
Speaker 3: Your latest book is Digital Dharma that explores the connection between AI and consciousness. And many people are afraid that AI is going to further disconnect us, but in fact you talk about how AI can help deepen our spiritual and emotional growth. Can you help us understand?
Speaker 7: You know, when you with kids, if you say you know, every kid asked the parents where did I come from? And the parents said God made you right, then you say where did God come from? And then you don't know what to say. You say, go play with your toy.
Speaker 8: Shut up.
Speaker 7: You don't know the answer. So I said, you know, now that we have digital technology, why don't we tap into the minds of the greatest teachers. I can now tap into the mind of Jesus. Okay, through AI, explain to me the Sermon on the Mount. Okay, why does Jesus say, treat your enemies as yourself? And the answer is your enemy is yourself in another uniform with another conditioning, another cultural conditioning, whatever economic conditioning, not the skin color, but it's the same infinite source. So I can now do that with digital technologies. What did Plato have to say about it? What did Chopenhair have to say it? What did the stages of the upnishads have to say about it? So the book I wrote is about four things. Number one, how to use AI as a health coach. Now, help me sleep, help me regulate my immune system, help me with this nutrition. So health coach, both mental and physical, research assistant. It a way to reflect self reflection as a personal guide for self reflection. You know, if I say, am I a body? Am I mind? Am I spirit? Give me reasons? Why not the body? Because the body is constantly changing? Give me the reasons? What did the great luminaries of humanity think about it? How did they think about the mind? How did they think about the spirits? So it's a health it's a spiritual guide, it's a research assistant, and it's actually now what I've done is with my own AI, which is the workshop I decided. You know, even in meditation, people have different needs. I want a meditation for sleep, I want a meditation for relationships. I want a meditation for feeling strong in the morning. I want a meditation for making me choose the right foods, and the AI will look at my database of meditations and create a new meditation for you, which I didn't create in the past, but it will take all my stuff and then it'll consult all the meditation experts, not from now, from Jesus onwards, or even before to now. You know, so you can tap into the minds of Moses or Jesus, or Einstein or roommate whoever you want. Now, with large lineanguage models, we've gone beyond that because you have the language of biology, language of mathematics, the language of physics, the language of religion, the language of spirituality, the language of the Great Scriptures. Without being conscious. AI is super intelligent, but it's not conscious because conscious is a much deeper or spirit is not an algorithm. In fact, spirit is the absence of all algorithms. When you take away all algorithms, then you touch the divine.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, Jake Shetty opens up about breaking a sugar habit, and don't forget to subscribe and share so you don't miss any of these inspiring lessons.
Speaker 3: Now back to my legacy.
Speaker 4: Your work emphasizes the importance of small, intentional actions to create a healthy and more meaningful life. We're hoping that you could give one to maybe even three suggestions backed by science, for our listeners on what they can do to live their best lives possible.
Speaker 9: There's this one thing that I write about in my book Keep Sharp, which is you know, it's classic because I write an entire book about this topic of brain health. And then I talked to my mom about it and she says, can you explain it in a couple of sentences. I write an entire book, but what should I do? And the thing I told her, and I mean this is that you should take a brisk walk with a close friend and talk about your problems. Do that on a regular basis. The brisk walk is important because it's the best way to actually grow new brain cells. That's that has the greatest evidence behind it. There's obviously benefits to the way you nourish yourselves and the activities you pursue how much rest, but movement in particular, and brisk movement, not intense movement, is the best for actually what they call neurogenesis human connection. Again, this is one of those things that we've known to be powerful, and now we have data to show that you make more oxytocin. This this the hormone that actually draws people together when you're spending time with people you love, friends and family. But the last one was a bit of a revelation for me, which is to talk about your problems because we have long been told it's not the number of friends you have, it's the quality of those friendships. And what makes a quality friend someone you can be vulnerable around. It's a hack. If you can be vulnerable around that person, you know that they're a quality friend. So talk about your problems and you know it really works. That's something that we do on a regular basis, as Rebecca mentioned, to have that brisk, walk close person talk about the problems.
Speaker 5: Jay, what would you say, because Roddy has obviously inspired so many people with her books and her you know, cooking and health, what would be one habit that she inspired? One bad? If you would say habit that she inspired you to change.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, it would definitely be my sugar into it. And I think this is a really important one for everyone because I think people just don't understand the dangers of sugar and how much of it we're consuming, and especially in America, where I feel like so much of our food is just naturally filled with it, and how much of our diets have become infiltrated with packaged foods most of the things we're eating and not natural whole foods. And so I would say my diet as a whole has been completely reorganized and reshifted through radhi End And it's actually a re it's a reinvent. It's a redefining of taste buds. Like it's not even like now, it's not like, oh my gosh, I'm craving this and I can't have it. It's almost like recognizing that our taste buds are so badly programmed because of what we've been can do to eat for so long, and so we think we need it more than we do. So I think I definitely still have a sweet tooth and I love a chocolate freed cake if I can get with it, but definitely made me much healthier my diet, And yeah, that would easily be the biggest one. That would easily be the biggest one, RDY.
Speaker 9: If someone wanted to change their overall wellness and energy, what one or two things could they do?
Speaker 6: Honestly, I'd say, in this day and age, one of the biggest things to change is I always think of the eighty twenty rule, but in this case, I mean like eighty percent of the food not coming from a packet and twenty percent of the food coming from a packet, Like if you can make sure that the balance is that way, because for a lot of people, the balance is actually the other way. It's eighty percent coming from a packet and twenty percent coming from whole foods, and so I think that is causing a lot of the rise and a lot of health issues. So that's one, and I think the second thing would be I've noticed that the fall in the amount of people that want to cook at home, and most of us are eating foods from restaurants or takeaways, and actually we don't know the oils that people are using, we don't know the ingredients. We are really unaware of the consciousness that people are cooking it with. And so the second part to that would be try and cook more meals at home, like connect to your food, understand what's going into it, like read the labels, start to educate yourself. You know, I think we've put so much of our health into other people's hands, and I think that it's really difficult nowadays because there is way too much information online. Everybody's telling you you should or shouldn't eat this. But in our Veda, I just learned how important it is to start to listen to your body. Most of us are so disconnected to our body that we don't even notice when we're having digestive issues. We don't realize that when I'm eating this, it's actually causing joint pain. When I'm eating this, it's making me feel lethargic and not energized. Like the bottom line is anything that we eat or drink, it should be creating vitality, energy, and likeness in the body, Like you should feel like you can still get up and do things as soon as you're eating foods and it's making you lethargic, it's making you feel heavy, and it's draining energy from you. That's design and the food that you're eating may just not be right for you. And so the third part of that.
Speaker 5: Would be education.
Speaker 6: Don't leave it to other people to tell you what you should be doing for your body. Start to learn. And the best way of doing that to start off with is start listening. When I'm eating this, how am i feeling when I'm eating this. How is my digestion? How is my mind? Am I feeling focused and clear? Or am I feeling foggy? You know, there are such simple questions we can ask ourselves to really start to tune into the ins and outs of what we're eating and how it's affecting us. So I would say less packaged foods, cooking more meals at home, and educating yourself, because your health is in your hands. It shouldn't be in someone else's hands.
Speaker 4: Over the years, you've interviewed some of the most remarkable people in the world and gain their insight and with them on issues about happiness and living a fulfilled life. I like to ask you if there's one or two things from one of your guests or multiple guests that have really impacted your thinking in those areas.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Absolutely, Yeah. I feel so grateful that I get to, after six years of building this incredible community, I get to go on tour and meet those people and hold those hands and give them hugs and look into their eyes and thank them for listening to us. You know, the hundreds of millions of people who have been doing that every single week for six years now, it's really really exciting. So we're starting with North America. When I think about my guests, I definitely think about a lot of the incredible experts we've had on sleep. And the reason I bring up sleep is because I think it's the one habit that incredibly impacts every other habit. When you get a good night's sleep, you're less likely to eat foods that are bad for you, You're more likely to have the energy to work out, You're going to feel more motivated and focused at work. It's the domino effect. And what I've learned about sleep is that a lot of us are not trying to build up our sleep like we build up other parts of our life. We want to gain mastery at our careers, we want to get good at our relationships, but so much of that is based on the quality of our sleep. If you have slept well, you're less irritable, you're less agitated, You're less likely to get angry or frustrated when something doesn't go your way because you have that foundational calm. And so for me, the things I've learned about sleep, the first is set a bedtime routine. Try and sleep at the same time every single day. Again at least five days a week. Second is, try and sleep in what's known as cave like darkness. A lot of us today have flashing lights from TVs, from remote controls, from our phones, whatever it may be. Try and sleep in cave like darkness as best as you can. Try and sleep in a temperature that's sixty three to sixty eight sixty nine fahrenheit. That's the recommended temperature, slightly cooler. We actually sleep better when it's a little bit cooler than what we think. And the last one is have a bedtime routine. You know, eat a few hours before you get into before you're going to go to bed, stop looking at phone an hour before bed. Really create that energy to be able to switch off. And so sleep has been something I've focused on with a lot of my amazing guests, and the fulfillment and sleep can give so much fulfillment and peace in life. I think it would change so much of our day.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us for the best of my legacy. New episodes drop every Tuesday. Don't forget to subscribe so you never miss a moment.