Speaker 1: R and B Money, Honey, we are than Malachi. We are the authorities on all things.
Speaker 2: R and B.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentleman. My name is Tank.
Speaker 3: This sis the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B dance, nigga and what you say and thress and threats, real threats.
Speaker 1: Entertainment. Yeah, I'm talking. Listen.
Speaker 3: I hang out with King tuh Yeah. Yeah, on many a stage, many a stage, yes, sir, all the time. Entertainment, television, movies, the club, the bar, everywhere, the golf, golf, golf, the cool ship there too, all.
Speaker 1: The cooler ship you ever want to do. Nigga personify s t L Yeah, and nigger. Yes, you have asados with my friend of your friend? Yeah, centric yeah, O.
Speaker 4: Course that's what the situation could you I could like it. I like it because sometimes that's all it is out there is the situation. You don't even nothing on that course. You're just like I'm golfing today.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: That's the big that's my that's my movie more than anything, is to drip. You know, you got a nice bag. You out there, you hit a couple of good balls, cigar, you pull up with the music, you know, that's what you when you see me golf and that's usually what you see.
Speaker 1: You never really see me.
Speaker 3: So you hit the ball, golf cart like a Harley with the speakers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, put it with the loud, you know, just playing zapp they be going before. Yeah, they they be on it on the Hardy's loud as hell.
Speaker 1: That's a relationship though, is that you the golf course?
Speaker 4: Yeah, golf course always got the music popping in until they tell you to turn it down. If you had a really good course, then it's gonna be a moment where you got to.
Speaker 5: Be like, they don't care about none of that entertainer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't want to hate everybody. Cool out.
Speaker 3: But then as soon as they leave, I turned back up. Let me ask you a question. Are you making deals on the golf course? It's just deal doing on the golf.
Speaker 1: It is a degree of deal making out there.
Speaker 4: Not like the old days though, yeah, the old days, because I mean, you know, but you know, it's a part of the it's a part of.
Speaker 1: The kind of camaraderie of it. All. Right.
Speaker 4: You get you go you play golf with somebody that you don't really know. You go out there y'all kind of chit chat. You talk, you become friendly, and then it's used on the nineteenth hole, which is where you drink and sit around and talk.
Speaker 1: Is where you do a little bit more business because.
Speaker 4: If you playing, it ain't really a lot of time to be doing the chit chatting, especially if they moving you along the course. Yeah, but you know, like if you're in the cart with somebody, you riding and somebody knew that, you can start, you know.
Speaker 1: Chumming it up.
Speaker 4: But that's the that's kind of the move what everybody does, because literally you got four hours sitting with somebody, so if you get in the cart with them, you just try to be like, all right, what's going on with your business?
Speaker 1: And then you try to figure out how you you know, make make a deal out of it.
Speaker 3: But it ain't quite like that. Everybody like that's why I play. I'm still I can still play basketball. Yeah, well see, but my knee is still good, and I feel like golf.
Speaker 1: Is everybody I know over the thirty.
Speaker 3: I'm in the league. Man, got a game tonight's a bye week. It's a bye week. We've only lost one game, so we get a five.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's good man going to the playoffs and so yeah, playoffs as soon. You know, the march madness of it all. It's probably probably a big, huge in a mural situation going on it.
Speaker 1: You know. It used to be the entertainment leagues though, and all that stuff that was really big. Yeah, yeah, that was real, real thing. What we're doing.
Speaker 4: Dudes was extra serious, dog like they was like very serious and and brothers was blowing their knees out.
Speaker 3: It wasn't We had trainers and everything that you could get taped, you get stretched, you had your official uniforms.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, every NBA was there. What happened kind of just face. I think somebody ran off with the money.
Speaker 3: No, what happened was always one you know, it lifted it faced.
Speaker 6: You always character and because like NBA didn't see the value on us anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, and then and then you stopped seeing that kind of that camaraderie at the whole games and everything, because there used to be that we used.
Speaker 1: To do the games for them, the NBA game we would do.
Speaker 3: It would be a crew of us that would do like you know, Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, all these different games for the n b A and then the NBA was just like I think, you know, more of the n b A guys just started becoming social and stars and all that, and we don't really need you no more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's kind of true. They all got records out. You got come on man killing man.
Speaker 1: You man signed that big ass deal. We want a piece.
Speaker 3: But you you you working too, brother, and and we need to shine some light on your work, brother, than you in the streets as we speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be in Vegas, Vegas as soon if we speak and you speak on I don't you know, man.
Speaker 4: You know, we got a residency I've been doing since last year me Tony Braxton. It is called Love and Laughter. So it's, you know, she doing the love songs and I'm bringing the laughter. But then we mix it up. So it's like a real big Vegas show.
Speaker 1: Man. It's kind of like.
Speaker 4: You know the old Sonny and Shall, the Donnie and Marie. We like we're on stage doing things together. She sings, I perform. It's big show. We got you know, big production behind it. Uh. And so we started last April and uh, you know, at the Cosmo and it's just been extended man, So everybody that they love it, Vegas loves it. So we've been extended it into this year. We rocking again. Valentine's Day weekend, Valentine's Day weekend, Friday and Saturday.
Speaker 1: Pull up phone us. I can one procure tickets to said event.
Speaker 4: Love and Laughter go to Chicken Master, I believe, or the Cosmo U and Love and Laughter.
Speaker 1: Love and Laughter tickets be on sale right there.
Speaker 4: Man, you can get it. You can get out. So opportunities grab rooms at a discount. Talk about all you want to come in and pull up, you want that you got, you know, everybody looking for the discount.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And when I say it's an opportunity to do it, I'm just saying I don't know what that is, but I mean, you know it's.
Speaker 1: We know what it is. But those are the ingredients to get.
Speaker 3: Laid when you yes, when you get hit. That's what Demetrious.
Speaker 4: That's terrible because they will you know, people gonna do that for real, They'll be sending them out there.
Speaker 1: That's how I'd be Like. I have my little nephew up there too.
Speaker 4: He probably gonna think he'd be like now y'all asked a little, you know, but but that's that's you know, but that's it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: You're right, it's Valentine's Day weekend. To bring somebody ves winning, you know, honey.
Speaker 1: To that man like I would. But what can we do? Chief? What what you think? I mean?
Speaker 3: We we are alerting the people now, but I feel like as we're alerting the people, if we really want to be player, come on, we would. We would set up for some people to to maybe get because you got love and laughter.
Speaker 1: Maybe we throw some food in there.
Speaker 3: So you want to be laughing too hard on the empty you you know what I'm saying, Like you want to get listen a date with a dinner and then the love and laughter. You getting some ass for sure. So so how about this?
Speaker 1: How about this? In the comments?
Speaker 3: All right, tell them what we're gonna do your you couple, the couple that you are. If you have tickets, hit the R and B Money Cast, rn B Money Cast, R and B Money Podcast, d M, show your tickets and you're gonna qualify.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure who's gonna play for. You're gonna qualify for a.
Speaker 3: Free dinner on R B Money Ship on R and Money.
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 4: Don't take picking though expensive places. We please please show me do so.
Speaker 3: Listen again hit the R and B Money Podcast DM. You must have tickets to the show. Show the tickets to your Valentine's Day weekend show, and we are going to pick some winners to go have dinner on us. We got you in the honor of our brother, the not the living legend, the living King sitting.
Speaker 4: Right here next to quality quality podcasting. Quality is legendary right there, just because people don't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people don't hand out, you know, prizes.
Speaker 4: To their to their We're trying to act like that's what the young niggas giving away.
Speaker 3: Give hundred dollars to whoever tworks to this in the next thirty minute.
Speaker 7: Show me that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, yeah, that sounds thousand. Yeah.
Speaker 4: People, the people will work for less, people will work nothing.
Speaker 1: Niggas like, yeah, they just toork the out towark.
Speaker 2: Somebody just out just to outward outwork the next work in.
Speaker 4: The spirit of work competition and it's like, you know what, it's on the internet all the time. I'm like, oh, and it's bad because you can't get it off of your explore page.
Speaker 1: You can get it off of it, somebody.
Speaker 5: You gotta have to explore everything.
Speaker 4: Well, but I keep getting locked, like, oh, let me switch to golf, and they're like, oh, look at that ass, And then you look at that and the next you know, your algorithm back full.
Speaker 1: I can't give my phone to my granddaughter.
Speaker 3: Algorithm won't let you, won't let me, won't let me lie, won't let.
Speaker 1: You lie to yourself. It won't let me lie to my wife. Well, what phone just full of?
Speaker 3: My wife looked at my phone showing her something. She's like, what's that. That's just that's just on my spore.
Speaker 1: I don't know her. Yeah, but look at all of these on your splore page. That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those women that's been dancing and been working out. But that's that. The popular page shows you what you look at all the time. I don't lead to another. And then that's and that's that's what's stupid about this whole. Really, that's why I don't like it. I don't go home my exploring page. That's probably oldest. That's probably old man, now old.
Speaker 1: That is what I believe.
Speaker 4: It says three thirty. I believe that you was just oh you't three thous my god, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I was like, what the you want to be on here? Look, yeah, dude, I wanted a lucky ones.
Speaker 3: I look at cars and stuff for a lot of stuff on my popular page. Yes, it's cars, cars and and women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, jets. Yeah, heterosexual man, that's my algorithm. Yeah. You know problem with that, that's not saying Is that wrong, Ruben? Yeah? No, it's got dogs and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, because I met his dog outside organic gimble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you that good nice stuff.
Speaker 4: The air products, you know, like they can tell room's got good air products.
Speaker 1: Said, it's got about to it, yeah, said St. L Yeah. St.
Speaker 3: Louis. I'm a Midwest guy myself. Milwaukee. Yeah, I know, from being in Milwaukee, just growing up at that time and not and not that I was even thinking about it, but I didn't necessarily know a way out. I wasn't thinking when I was in Milwaukee. Man, I'm gonna be this this star, and I'm gonna have a podcast, I'm gonna have Albums'm gonna have I was just playing in the hood, in the neighborhood. Yeah, and that was and going to church, and that was that was what I thought life was going to be at any point early on, you know, as you're growing up in Saint Louis, does it ever cross your mind that I'm going to be a king of comedy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I mean I always wanted to entertain, Like when I was little, while I had this thing, you know, the TV show fame was our coming, and so I remember I had the ability as a youngster to do all these things.
Speaker 1: I could dance, I could sing, I would act.
Speaker 4: I was and I would tell my mother I was like, you know, the braids though like Leroy, not quite bleag womans, but I definitely had the braids. But I had the fauehead, you know. I always had this family forehead that was like a little past too much for braids.
Speaker 1: You know. It was just like, hey, there's never been nothing there.
Speaker 4: No, that's always been like it always started off.
Speaker 1: I always had a little in the back. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so anyway, but I but I, but I did man and so I used to My mother was a school teacher, so I used to try to convince her that let me perform more, you know, and she just you know, she was from that educational background.
Speaker 1: So it was hard.
Speaker 4: So I ain't really discovered that I can really do it until after when I went to college.
Speaker 1: I sang in some groups. Then I got a radio show.
Speaker 3: You can't you can't just go sanging group, tell us the name you can come home, man, I know you remember, don't do this.
Speaker 1: Man we had like it was even a dope name dog. It was the Alderman.
Speaker 4: What we lived alter We lived on all de Men and so we lived on the street called Alder So we was the Alderman. And it was like just kind of this like the men, the Men of alder Yeah.
Speaker 1: It don't matter how much you shrug like, you know.
Speaker 4: So he was on all these you know, like Alderman was a political thing and so we was all we felt like that made us regal, y'all nice.
Speaker 1: He's pretty nice though. Yeah. We had a nice harmony. You know. We used to do the little Ray Goodman and Brownjo. No.
Speaker 4: That was another dude to sing I am my little yeah, just yeah, just because I always wanted to sing lea. But he was, you know, he was the light skinned dude and the girls loved him. I was dark back then, the dark dude always had to go on the back, you know what I'm saying. So I just I'd say mainly based, but then I would jump out because I had a Luther thing that I could do, okay, and when I would hit the Luther Jong, then come on, turn loose.
Speaker 1: Shine, excuse me, let me get this.
Speaker 4: The singer y'all had to deal and then we were we would have grown. But dude, dude definitely had the better vocals. You had to give it to him like he had to. He had to range and he could, you know.
Speaker 1: He Gerald Gerald, Gerald, Germ's dope. You know what I'm saying. You know, like to this day, you know what I'm saying, You're like, yeah, Gerald, Man, it took my girl and everything walking through the point shot with Gerald.
Speaker 3: It's always a girl that breaks up the group. Oh always never lasts up the group. So you got the singing group and grow up and now you're starting.
Speaker 4: To so so now I'm believing in it, you know so, but you know again, you like you say, you mid West, you don't really believe you're gonna go You.
Speaker 1: Ain't gonna go Therry.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't see it, you know, until like then the comedy started to pop off, and then it became a little bit more familiar, like when Robert Townsend broke, you know, because first it used to be like only people that was on like Johnny Carson, right these was big comedians and Richard Pryor and you know Bill Cosby, legendary comedians.
Speaker 1: So you didn't see yourself in that group.
Speaker 4: And then when Robert Townsend kind of hit right before, right before the death, comedy jam erat Robert Townsend used to have these specials and you start to see people like Damon Waams and Tommy and late legendary Robin Harris. So these was the people that you you go like, all right, now it's a little bit more like what I understand, And now you start to believe a little bit. And then you know, then you go to the comedy club, met Steve Harvey. You start to meet people. How do you get into comedy? Like, how do you even Yeah, I'm in say, look, I'm working at State Farm. I'm the original Jake. I'm like, I'm a claims adjuster. I got a job. I got to you know, I'm wearing the khakis. I'm a work, you know, adjusting cars. Like you know, like somebody have a wreck, I come out, you know, all right, man, it's gonna take two weeks.
Speaker 1: We're gonna fix that? Are you that guy? A little bit? For sure? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: Like, I was definitely funny at my job, but I also was a pro you know what I mean? So you know, but you know that that kind of really led to it. And then it was a friend of mine that was a stand up. This dude was doing stand up and he come back and be like, yo, now I made eleven hundred this week and I made fourteen hundred last week, like doing what like I'm doing jokes. He was like, you can do it, and he signed me up for a comedy competition, helped me work on my little set and the first time I ever did it, I won five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: First first time it was only five minutes, just like a new thing, you know, like new, you're the new guy. You go up, you do like five seven minutes whatever. But he he helped me shape the whole thing with stuff that I would be saying.
Speaker 1: He was like, do that, do that, Joe, do this thing you do right here? Do that, do that over here, do this right here.
Speaker 4: So he has a pro knew how to help me shape what it was. So but because I had been in groups and did plays and stuff like that. I didn't have no stage fright, so I had I had a little bit more of advantage and not being like afraid to go perform. So you know, even though I was afraid to do comedy, but I wasn't scared of being on the stage. So I just was able to kind of go up there. And it definitely was far more advanced than the than people that was in because it was a rookie competition. Yeah, it was like all rookies.
Speaker 1: No, I had never done a stand up. I had never done He had a joke coordinator who looked down the top.
Speaker 4: He had to walk he over, like, tell you put out of that joke, can go with the McDonald's. What else is going on?
Speaker 1: Is that happened? Let somebody give you know when somebody in your That's the thing about it.
Speaker 4: When you on you as a stand up, that's the only one man, truly, when you on stage and a stand up, you ain't got no help, bro, like you just it ain't no ain't no weak side help. Like if that joke start going bad, if they lose the crowd, it's only up to you to dig him out. You can't get a drum or something you can't drummer, can't get a drummer. Yeah, let will Willy do something.
Speaker 1: Have you had those bomb nights though? Help you? Yeah, you had to have. You had to have a couple of those if you ain't.
Speaker 4: You know, stand up is definitely not a you know, it's not a not a week man every it's definitely excited antipic where it looks just because you rocket, you'll kill it every time. Definitely had some nights where they's you know, it went horribly wrong where you just up there like, damn this shit crazy, like I usually kill like I mean, I did it in front of a big, big crowd in New York one time, like big, you know, and New York is wanting place that intimidate you anyway with but it was but it was like, but this was a corporate New York crowd.
Speaker 1: So it's even different.
Speaker 4: And I'm in there, you know, I see all the corporate suit guys, and then so I switch up, you know, I threw all my white voice and hey, guys, you know, I'm telling jokes completely out of order, you know, like you know, out of tone. I've got this extra high ass pitch ship ain't landing, I mean hawk like going wrong. And then Steve Harvey was there. Steve went up and cuts everybody out and they dying. He with the you know, with the straight Steve look y'all country.
Speaker 1: Ass, letting they ass have it. They dying. He was like, dog never changed for them, don't ever change.
Speaker 3: You just go up there. If you die as you then that's one thing. But don't die trying to be what you think they.
Speaker 1: Want you to be. Right.
Speaker 4: That was the biggest lesson I have And that was early too in my career. Like, so that was one of those things I always tell young comedians that, like, you just go up there and be yourself dog.
Speaker 1: If it worked, and then you're gonna you know, you keep.
Speaker 4: Working it, but don't try to don't try to fix it. You know, like think you're looking at the room, like, oh man, it's a seemed like a bunch of Republicans in here. Let me try to be on their side and get through the night and fuck them.
Speaker 1: Save your ship. Yeah, you get your first five hundred dollars. Yeah though, and drake with me, Yeah that's a Missouri ship. You got five Let it be.
Speaker 8: Now then easy yeah, easy, You're buying out of the bar and and what is what is the next milestone for you?
Speaker 1: Probably so then you know, so I get, I get what it was. What it was called. It was a run like that you can book.
Speaker 4: It was a comedy club circuit where you know, you kind of work in the city, work around, but if you can book this comedy club. Funny Bones was a big comedy club and they had twenty two clubs around the country and if you book them, you can you can go twice a year.
Speaker 1: They put you on the circuit. That was enough to quit my job. So you work to get on that. So that was it. I booked that.
Speaker 4: But within the first year of doing that, Death Comedy Jam came on the air. Black Comedy started to take off, and then I just I jumped off that. Probably in the second half of that run, I was on the Black Comedy train as a top dude. Like because people, yeah, people hear about Yeah, that happened pretty fast, Like I mean you know that that that was probably within a three year period, you know what I'm like, Yeah, but it was fast, you know for stand ups, you know, but uh, but I used to have a regular night so I had a lot of jokes because I was a host of you know of a black Night in the Loop, like you know where the where the dope boys come and pay you and they you know, the dope boy spots be you know, you'd be getting rich in there because.
Speaker 1: We all have experienced the bag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they just fu it does and people like you know, you think about like the old Rich Briar, like the gangsters.
Speaker 1: The Mansters used to do them.
Speaker 4: But then in the eighties we had like all you know, we had just the street boys that be like wanting to have a good time. They ay Man come to the spot dog right, you know, talk about Little Rock Little Rock Ruck.
Speaker 1: You know, like yeah, was throwing stack some money. I'm on the stage. You're feeling like a stripper. But you picking.
Speaker 4: They laughing and having a good time. They just that's they wearing showing appreciation. You was like beg so yeah that was like big that was big love. And then then uh, the Steve Harvey Show came. Like well I had won like some I did like Deaf Comedy Jam and all that stuff, But then Steve Harvey Show came and that's when you know, you started to really be pulled into Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Did you guys have a friendship already before.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, yeah, we I met him and he used to have a club in Dallas and he was like a mentor, Like he was one of those guys like I got the Dallas got stuck, you know, I was down there. I went to go do another comedy club. And when I got there, they didn't they didn't use opening acts from out of town or something. They was like they had made it up. I don't know what happened, but they was like, from my understanding that it wasn't gonna be two black comics on the show at one time. So what happened was it was a The dude that became the headliner was a black dude. And then I showed up, and then they didn't know. I guess Cedric didn't know. Didn't sound like very authentically black to them at the time.
Speaker 1: So I drove. I was you entertained, Well, I'll tell you what. I'll tell you what you might you might you might want get back in your vehicle. Why is it always not your car hit up around?
Speaker 4: Tell ned, I can't believe it A little bit. Man is always back to the back to tell mad.
Speaker 1: We got he's born racist, he's born we got too many black? Yeah, too many. I don't know. I don't know. Tell you it's a ratio. That's a I may not know. You drove all the way here, but sticks so you're stuck, stuck in text. The thing is I was dating this girl. She was a flight attendant. So yeah, and it's funny because well it was tough too, but I had a girl. She she was there. Steve was just opening his little he had a comedy night. He had a thing popping off. And then I went by there just each night.
Speaker 4: And then, you know, I knew him through another comedia, so I just was trying to go up at night, you know. And then so then I was you know, I would go up after the headline and just do like two three minutes. I was killing it, and I told him my problem, you know, my situation. Steve gave me two hundred to get home and then booked me to come back, and it gave me my first time I ever made a thousand dollars doing comedy goods.
Speaker 1: Harvey did that.
Speaker 4: Like put me in and gave your flight because you used to drive like in the comedy club service you had to drive everywhere like old Spain. In the Midwest, we had a lot of places. Milwaukee was a place, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis. You would drive and go get loose, like you know, if you're willing to drive eight seven hours, you can go get some money. Detroit, drive ex suit, go get that money. Like so we were a hustled like that, you know, with the comedy business. But then Steve flew me down Then Dallas was a ten hour drive, but he he flew me down there and then pay me a thousands.
Speaker 1: You up, you up boy? That was like yo.
Speaker 4: And then you know, then we became friends from there, just with rock and then uh and then so when he got to Steve Harvey show, he asked he asked them to put me on.
Speaker 1: So that was and that was it. So that was a good look right there. That was a hell of a look, man, And that was I've been gone and we took off after that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, b et comic you probably would I would consider my first real step though, because I came out that because when I became the host of com of You, I became black famous, Like they came on every night and so you know, you come on every night.
Speaker 1: Then everybody in the airport. Now everybody knew me.
Speaker 4: So then you know, and you jumped to you jump your little your paydays, you know, because I probably used to get like at that time, probably twenty five hundred three thousand in the show. But then when I became the host, that that ship jumped to ten fifteen and I was three of them over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you was like what during the week, you know, and the bitches No, I'm just give it ye I, I I know what you're talking about. Yeah, but that was my thing going when I was a kid. I can make her laugh. Oh yeah, I can get her. That was it, you know, it was you know, that was it the close you started getting into it all that.
Speaker 4: But then that idea of like going around the country getting more and more famous, was he became something that you're like, all right, this is this is real. And then we start getting more TV opportunities like say, comic view blew up. Then then death jam blew up. And then you know that kind of led me to the uh that that Steve Harvey situation, which was great. How long we did six?
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah, so we did six on Steve Harvey Show.
Speaker 4: And then uh, and then I started doing some movies right after this, so I had a great run up from ninety Well, you know, comedy you started in ninety four and it's been pretty solid though. But and then Steve Harvey Show show started like ninety eight, and that led into that led all the way to uh now Steve Harveyshow like ninety six somethings, and then yeah, that led all the way into King's Comedy and all that. So then King's Comedy, then the movies, Johnson Family to do Comic View, to do Comic View.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I did. I come to do Comic View.
Speaker 4: You they and it was one of those things too, because you know, you don't know how Hollywood work. But I just remember they paid me the host the show, and then they didn't want I was trying to get something out the deal and they didn't want. They basically like, you know, don't ask us for nothing else. So so they that means that they didn't get none of the stand up money. Like I'm trying to like include myself situation thinking that I think it's a deal, Like I'm thinking I'm packaging all this and they like now so I'm like, oh, so y'all don't so, y'all making me a start, and then I get to go because y'all, y'all they paid me thirty thousand for the all the shows the whole season.
Speaker 1: I was getting that a weekend. I'm like, I'm making that a week ind now, like y'all cool? Cool. Then I start to be quiet.
Speaker 3: Now I'm like, all right, man it so then you know, so then that's kind of was the the world how you started to take off from there and just like steady, steady, you know, finding moves to make.
Speaker 1: Man, you know, that's that's this business.
Speaker 4: You gotta kind of keep your focus on what's the next move, no matter even if it's popping.
Speaker 1: You know, you gotta be like, what, like what y'all doing right here? You got to be like, all right, cool to me, let me pivot. We do something different, but it's good.
Speaker 3: Kingse of Comedy was one of those moments, like like a moment in time. Yeah, because I saw I saw both tours. Yeah, I saw when it was just without without d L. I saw that one. I saw that one at the Capital Center. Then I saw when Steve went to host. Yeah, and I saw both of them, and I had never you know, I didn't get to see you know, Eddie in big venues and that, Like, this was my first experience with comedy destroying an arena that was crazy destroyed, even when like whd raw and all that, it wasn't an arena at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was doing arenas he did. I don't think he shot it in an arena.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but he was doing He did an arena tour, and Martin did an arena tour.
Speaker 1: And Dice those Dice class. But this one came off when the Kings came.
Speaker 4: It was like it was kind of like the old super fests, you know, like yeah, when you would see like all your favorites and one night. So it felt bigger because even though those guys were like big stars individually, this felt like a bigger idea because it was like, oh man, everything I love right here on one night. So those shows were selling out like crazy like quick. We did like five United senters for for m C I, m C I, Like you know, it were like you would come for the weekend and the tickets be gone, and they they like, hell, y'all don't want to come back here next week?
Speaker 3: You like come back to Chicago. They're like, yep, we can sell to more, like right, let's go. So it was it was incredible, No, that was it was incredible and and as a as as a U as a comic, like when you're on with your guys and those guys and you guys are I'm not sure if you guys are doing a run of show or a rehearsal or or you know, or if you just go in the first night and everybody surprised everybody with their material.
Speaker 1: Are you guys also punching each other up? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you definitely, you definitely punching each other up, like you definitely once you kind of in a in a click like that and you start running and you're watching everybody saying and you're like, hey man, you know you when you do the one thing with so and so, you should be like, you know, now you gotta have you gotta have the kind of the you know, when we first started out, it was definitely that, But as people got richer and more, it started to be more kind of like individualized, you know what I'm saying. Everybody kind of was doing their own thing. But when we first started, it was a lot of a lot of like, you know, like anything. It was a lot of love. Everybody was with each other. It was a lot of fun, you know, you laughing and joking with each.
Speaker 1: Other, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But you know again, the more the more we kind of did it when we did it like three years, the bigger it got, the more it just started to be like comedy for three years.
Speaker 1: Did three years with the tour. Yeah, it was hot. We see that money gets bigger, crew gets a little bigger. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. The tour of us is just your Yeah, you know, your rider is your riding even shared. Yeah, yeah, got your people, got the way you do it. You know, you earned that though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's a part of it. And then you got you know, and then you got you know, you got everything that goes with it. Like me and Steve was doing the Steve Eve Harvey Show at the time, so he was Steve Harvey. You know, I'm the I'm the dude on the show.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But still we got a TV show like we popp and then d L came on. He had a show. That's why you see Bertie talk about having a show like like.
Speaker 4: You want the show show like that, but then you know when and then the show popped off, right, so now he got now everybody got their corners right, so you know, you know, so again it was but that's you know, that's that's a part of it too, man.
Speaker 1: But you can't, like you said, you can't. I was trip off that the fact that.
Speaker 4: It's still a big brand twenty five years later and it's still a brand, like if you say Kings of Comedy, people know exactly what you're talking about. So crazy, And that's the biggest thing that I feel like we never took advantage of, is you know, businessman. You know, like everybody kind of got in their own out in their own way, because that should have been a serious podcast, I mean a serious radio show.
Speaker 1: It should have been should have been all kinds of brand, and we I had all kinds of Kings Gun. We just did the movie and that was it.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like as as the original Kings of Comedy that there will be an opportunity for you guys to give birth to the next eras Kings of Comedy where you guys will be able to facilitate that and nurture it and present it the same way you guys were able to do yours.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think I think that that window kind of pass.
Speaker 4: I think when you guys like that, you know, people will reach the heights of like like keV and you know, Kevin Hart and Chapelle. I mean who was like you know, you know in our you know who's in our in our class. But again, you know, people like people just bigger brands now like individually, like they.
Speaker 1: Don't necessarily need, you know, at that time to do arenas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like we were all big. We can all do theaters on our own, but nobody it couldn't necessarily kill Arena or to Itch right, And I mean to this day probably you know, it's still like a few people that can really do that effectively, you know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But that's different.
Speaker 4: And I mean just live in general is killing you know, it's killing people, right, so you know. So but you know, like stand up is just gotten to a place where you know, it also feels very saturated. So people like they know a lot of comedians. You hear a lot of comics both on your phone. You know, it's millions million Netflix specials. You like everybody like you see my special be like is it a special though, like cause it's.
Speaker 1: Just home like everybody man just own like I mean, you know, and not like the record it's rough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you're really a special you know, that's even tougher, you know what. I was just thinking about that. You know the other day, I was riding and I was listening to Mario song and I was streaming, like this song as popular as it was back then, and I realized, like R and B ain't don't really make a lot of new music. So the great songs, you know, like you know from y'all like that, y'all wrote all of them songs back then.
Speaker 1: These are the big songs like this, They stick because.
Speaker 4: Like Chris Brown maybe and if us should do something, But other than that, like I much rather hear the songs that I know, like this from this era where it was great, it was beautiful R and B songs, and you like, those songs still resonate, They still hot, they still dog, audiences still love them, kids still tick talking to them, you know what I'm saying. And that's but you know, you know, and I feel like even rap kind of come into that inn wed where rapper it used to be a lot of rappers, and now you got you got like one or two guys that will pop at any given time. And other than that, somebody throwing the project out and they might get high for a week. But it ain't that stick that stick to it kind of. I mean, we're in an age where it's like you can get a lot in a very short period of time if you just if you just hit the mark just enough. Like I don't even think like anybody's thinking career. People are thinking, nigga, if I can just hit them over the head one good time, if I can just if I can just get good enough to roll the dice one good time. Whereas we were trying to figure out how to be a musician for the rest of our yourself as a creative. That's because I want to do this. I'll do this anywhere. I'll do this in an arena or in front of one hundred and fifty people.
Speaker 1: I'll do this anyway. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I meanber you pulled up at my golf tournament thing one time. It just popped up. It's funny. It was like, you know, it's like we're doing the announcements whatever, you pull up, but it just like, yo, I got a band there.
Speaker 1: Man, let's say it's a band, it's a whole band, but it's a different love. Right, it wasn't. It wasn't a money grab, right, No, you just we thank God for the money. Yeah, right, for sure.
Speaker 3: You know because everything that you said when you were just talking about it before it like even even just how you got into it, where it took you or where it's taken you. But at no point have you ever just been like, yeah, and I was just trying to get me some money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just like, yeah, I was.
Speaker 5: Really following my dream and going after what I love and the money came along with that.
Speaker 1: That's really real.
Speaker 4: And I think because again especially with standing up, because when you're out on that stage and it's just you and you trying to make this audience laugh. Then came in there from whatever day they got, you know, and got going on, and they there to see, you know, get some laughs.
Speaker 1: Your your job is to do that.
Speaker 4: Like, so you can't really be thinking about you start telling people how much money you made and you know that you're just gonna lose people because nobody want to hear that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you something how hard is it to be a funny.
Speaker 1: Rich man.
Speaker 4: Again, it is differently, like I definitely can see I say, I say, there's a lot to people that stand up as a young man sport and it is.
Speaker 5: I think it's a poor man to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well usually you young and you poor. But I mean you can, you can, you know you can definitely if you love it, you can't.
Speaker 1: Like you can't argue with.
Speaker 4: The fact like I still feel like I'm shining, like I still be on stage, like where I definitely feel like I'm worth your money, Like I'm gonna be you the way I perform. I'm like, no, if you come see me, you're gonna be like, all right, boy, boy, still do it right, you know. So you know, yeah, I take pride in that spirit. And you can't argue with somebody like Chappelle, like right now, he just he rich as they come and and funny as they come.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, it's like.
Speaker 3: Chapel Chapelle, let me say this right, he still seems as he said the broke thing like the one time I one time I saw Chappelle on on the streets of Miami in a mini van, yeah, and in some jeans I'm sure he has slept in for a few days and probably the shirt too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just welcome smoking a cigarette? What up tank?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, not driving the minivan. Like the door of the minivan open, it's parking. He just sitting outside and inside the mini man.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm like what, yeah, I know he has at least forty Yeah no not aw no, No, that's him, Like, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's still live, like he's still immersed in the trenches somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And it's probably because he live.
Speaker 4: In Ohio and he don't really be a part of the mix or whatever they are. But yeah, he definitely like that. But I think, I think there's a lot of comedians that still take great pride in being great comedians. So even if they got money, they love the you know, most of my guys they still love it like that d L. George Lopez, They you know, guys who do it well, they still love the go tell joke, right, you know, they love it.
Speaker 1: What do you think if you think.
Speaker 3: Are some of the missing steps or missing ingredients as it pertains to some of the comedy today, or maybe they're just a few different ways of going about comedy. Right, Maybe there's like social media comedy.
Speaker 1: Maybe there's the.
Speaker 3: Skip play of the thing, but I feel like the stand up part of it is not the same as even from my generation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think it kind of least to what Jay was talking about. The money came into it so much faster, so people they'll be on they start with their online presence like nowadays, and they get paid, so they get paid from their skits, and then if they try to convert it to stand up, then that's again that's a skill set where you gotta go to work, you gotta get up there, you gotta take your time.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna get paid a lot at first, you're gonna get scratched up. And why do that?
Speaker 4: Why do that when I can get paid like if I might try And you got some people that really worked hard at it and they become good like people that you know that these guys that work like DC Young, like all the ninety five South dudes, like they they stay kind of getting that god, but they real stand ups, like you gotta get theirs and they go on stage they be lit, you know, so all of them so and then you got you know, but then you got some one of the country Wayne same thing.
Speaker 1: Like certain people I know, they work at work, they work at it. They don't take just their internet thing.
Speaker 4: But that's what I think the gap is is that most people just don't want to do that work part that come with being on that stage all the time and going up there and you know, and taking them l's and trying to figure out and really working and finessing a joke until it turned into something that's worthy. You used to your fame carrying you. So you if your fame carry you, you walk up there, you kind of you famous first. If you famous first, and you you don't know how to do thirty minutes worth for jokes.
Speaker 1: And if you know.
Speaker 4: So that's what I kind of feel what happened on the stand up side. But you know, stand up make you earn it, so you know, and and from and from the stand up world they kind of like that too. All stand ups make sure you you kind of paying homage to this part of the business. Otherwise you just won't have that kind of respect, you know what I'm saying. Like people be like, yeah, no, you famous, you know, yeah it's all good, but you didn't yeah yeah, yeah famous?
Speaker 1: You as an og in it?
Speaker 3: Do you when you identify like the DC young Flies and Carlos and those guys, do you do you reach out to those off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yap in with them for sure. Man, those guys are you know.
Speaker 4: Because they also inspire you, because you know, that's the other thing I've always loved about, Like you know that that always always say this too, Like when.
Speaker 1: You stand up when they say your name, you next period.
Speaker 4: So anybody that's ready for that moment because it ain't ain't nothing you can do once they go, ladies and gentlemen from Saint Louis. Yeah, yeah, I can't send you out there now. Yeah take going out there for take out there from the man right about some man, man, I ain't ready. You gotta go, right. So when you see people that get ready like that and they do that, you gotta be like, yo, this, that's that's the inspiration because it's that motivation to get ready. I take a lot of real dogs with me on stage too, like like young guys that's like they funny as for real, and you know you put them on stage first so that you can so you gotta go to work, absolutely, you gotta you gotta go to work. I started that kind of early in my career where dudes they go in front of me, they really funny, like you be like I'm.
Speaker 3: Sitting Yeah, it's funny because I find that with Tank right where, you know, from the business side of it, of who he'll he'll say, yo to be like chief.
Speaker 5: This young dude or this this young girl she cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need her to you know what I mean, We need him to open up, and we need to put them on the show instead of it being the you know, yeah you're like, ah, you ain't doing too much because you know what that means, doing too much? Mean, I get my ass kicked whenever somebody said yeah, you know they was true and they was doing too much.
Speaker 1: Get your ass tell the truth. You didn't want the heat want.
Speaker 3: But I respect that that you can say that, like I want really funny comedians to go and get that opportunity.
Speaker 5: So it pushes me to do my.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gotta you gotta step up, you know, and then and I mean it will it helps you, you know, get your brain, you know, like any like being in a fight or whatever, right like you you you step up to the competition.
Speaker 1: A lot of times, you know, we say that about golf too. All the time.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like you play to the level that the people that's playing with you at like and you're like, all right, cool, if everybody really getting down, you like, let me focus up right, And so but then it's the stand up.
Speaker 3: Is that it's a Cedric the Entertainer show, right, So when people buy that ticket, they are buying it for for the name and the brand Cedric Entertainer, and you, as as the entertainer, are responsible for everything that happens on that stage as soon as that show starts. Yeah, I agree, And people will talk about that. People will say first two access asks, I mean said is always good?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: And are they gonna want to come back for that? Or or rather saying that whole show was off the hook, old boy, it's funny, he gonna probably be the future or whatever. Like that's a different conversation. As a business man, that's smart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely I think that that's very smart because you're right, you gotta you gotta look at somebody bought the ticket and this is their whole night and that's what you wanted. This is how you want them to feel about it, Like definitely, And then you know, and the thing that You got to remember too, is that you got an hour, Like, no matter how funny they are, I got a whole hour like you might have.
Speaker 1: You might have been killing the ship, but I'm doing I'm gonna work. It was good and so you know, like you just gave me overly, you know.
Speaker 4: But I love to see new talent that's hot, that's dope, and like you say, you give him an opportunity to be in front of this size audience, you know what I mean? You know, so that's that's a big deal to be like, hey man, like you ever you ever did you know five thousand people at one time?
Speaker 1: Like you know, you'd be like that, be like yoh yeah, be like yo, you're gonna come off from me on this show.
Speaker 5: So how many franchises are you a part of?
Speaker 3: You got Barbershop, Madagascars, Come on, Maurice, Yeah, come.
Speaker 1: On, Planes, the Planes movie, and so there was we did two this the Planes and.
Speaker 4: Then were about to do john Johnson Family again, so that yeah, about got it. We got another Johnson Family Vacation Code of all that and then the Haunted House, so we did two of those with the with Marlin and so yeah, those those are those are part.
Speaker 5: Of that many franchises.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's like four, like four or five of them. There's probably a couple of women probably one more about it, Yeah about it?
Speaker 5: You know, when you flexing it, you forget how many franchises you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, whatever. They need somebody to do something all the time. Yeah, I got a question about barbershop. Yeah, why was you on my man of vant?
Speaker 5: Like that on the train?
Speaker 1: Man? Why you? Why you? Why was you on his? Boc was like that? Man? You know, it's always that one dude show to his notes. Ya know, it's always it's always Aaron Belt about it.
Speaker 4: Everybody thought that that was Teddy, but Harold Melvin was not. He over on the side telling Teddy he's doing it wrong. That's that's that's the idea. It was cool into the gang and everybody thought the lead.
Speaker 1: Slinger was cool. No, he was cool, cool over here, cool over here with the running running things, because he's cool. That's who you were.
Speaker 4: That was me in that in that group, I'm the dude that's all right, just telling the other dude like how you need to do it.
Speaker 1: It's always that dude in every I remember watching the movie. I'm like that. He tells, yeah, he ain't on his you got to show him how to. I wish my brother Donail was out. Man. You your finger going up. But you but you yeah, you point what you want to do.
Speaker 5: What's what's your favorite out of all the things as the entertainer.
Speaker 3: I was about to say that, because as an entertainer you are because you can anything, like you can sing.
Speaker 1: Sing host because we'll tell you, we'll be here laughing and you know, yeah, it's about.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 4: But probably I mean, you know, as I you know, as I've gotten older, it's probably more acting like because you know, you can take the time, you can kind of formulate character TV acting to like, you know, I'm on you know, the Neighborhood we in season seven.
Speaker 1: I love playing the characters that we do that seven rare air. I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 4: Money, yeah, and then and then spending it off, so I spend so, you know, because I executed a produce, but we spend it off with Tracy Morgan, got a show coming on that and then we're doing one with the with my sons on the show. Spending that off to another version of the neighborhood. So we can try to keep all that just keep it all up in the air, you know what I'm saying. But uh, but stand up. I still do and I still love it. But like you say, it's kind of like you know, you start, you start, you know, I don't want to travel as much.
Speaker 1: That's why I love Vegas Squeeze.
Speaker 4: It comes the question, you know, and that definitely like especially if it's one of the spoil Well, Vegas, Vegas is you know, Vegas dope because I got Tony.
Speaker 1: With me and it's fun and it's sexy and Vegas, you know.
Speaker 4: But then but like if I got to go to like you know where, anywhere where you gotta jump on two planes to get the connect. The connect, the connect is one of the moves that you go all right, rich, Yeah, that is rich. That is That's what I realized. I ain't got a little too much. I don't know one thing. They got a budget for the Jacks.
Speaker 1: I knew that was coming. I knew that was going airport in that city. Man, I'm a pribay pass on that one man. Man, you be like, yeah, it's for the homeless children, like.
Speaker 4: Homeless this because I mean, that's the thing, because because I could just pay for four of them.
Speaker 1: It's easier. It's easy for me to just give them the money then to come down. If that then what it's gonna take. Yeah, if it's gonna take me there, it's gonna.
Speaker 4: Take all that to get there. Like, yeah, that's what happened when you give you like all right, man, direct, I'm good.
Speaker 3: You've been doing it for for that long and so you man, you've earned forty close to it, You've earned some luxuries. My brother, you've done it well. Is the difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I definitely feel very blessed, you know, and I think like I will always like try to strategiz a my moves and take like even when you know we're doing the movies.
Speaker 1: Had a big you know, had the movie career going.
Speaker 4: But then like my kids got to an age where they couldn't they had to go to school. Like first they was little and they could come almost everywhere and movie shot everywhere.
Speaker 1: You know, you be in you be in Canada, in in Ireland, we shooting movies.
Speaker 4: My family could come and the kids a little but then they got to that age where they had schedules, couldn't come.
Speaker 1: You out on the road.
Speaker 4: You lived somewhere for two three months, You're like, all right, this is not good right here. You know, kids doing stuff you don't know, had no idea what's going on. So wife, you know, it just became hard. So I chose to do television.
Speaker 1: So then when I started doing TV, that was like a fun thing soul man, you know.
Speaker 4: Exactly, boy boy, yeah, voice boy, and so then and then and then that led to the Neighborhood. But I had the other show. I had the Sketch Show first, to say, it entertain the presients. That was for one seeds in Fun with it was like me JB. Smooth and Wendy Rikell. It was like it was right before Chappelle's Sketch Show hit. But it was that same kind of fun sketch show for Fox that was dope. And then so you know, I've been really blessed to be able to kind of strategize that now I would start building the movie career back up to now because I feel like I've been on TV a long time. So now I'm just gonna finding movies, developing things that I think will be fun to watch and do.
Speaker 1: And then you know, the kids are older. They all got their own lives now.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's like most of the things that you've done as far as from the television side of it, did you develop most of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, co created, man, executive produced, executive reduced.
Speaker 1: So you can't without. I gotta be in charge.
Speaker 4: I gotta be in charge like I was like sometime sometime I'm in you know, on the writing side, like on so Man, I co wrote that one, but on on the Neighborhood it was already I I had pitched other ideas, but this show was already done, So then I had to co write. I mean, I came in to executive produced, which you know, basically gives me a lot of control over what the show is gonna be and what you know. I have a lot of say on like we're gonna do this and we're not gonna do that, you know that kind of stuff. Nothing language.
Speaker 3: You know. You know a movie I've watched a thousand times. You're gonna you're gonna you're gonna laugh, You're not even gonna.
Speaker 1: Know be cool, be cool man, cool, cool dope man, that's your movie. He be quoting lines from that movie like it's nothing, bro.
Speaker 4: Man, that was Classic Man. That was like one of his first starts doing the movie was fun. And then that was my first time getting to work with f Gary Gray, which was dope.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. So yeah, so many the rock I tell there was legends in that one that was dope. That is that is a fun movie. Every time I see the movie was just on the day you just scroll past it. Yeah yeah, I like that. Yeah, yeah, it'd be a little little photos. I listen that a real time. Kids that you got yeah, I got them. What's your what's your.
Speaker 3: In your opinion, your favorite movie and your I won't say your worst, but your least favorite.
Speaker 1: So my my probably my favorite is Barbershop one.
Speaker 4: That was the one I had the most fun doing because you know, I chose to play that old man like I came in for a different role. But then when I saw it, I asked him could I play that old man the whole thing? And that you know, I had to earn it because they wanted to hire a real old man. But I was like, no, I got this dude, right yeah, so you know, and then it was one of It was also the movie that changed my career a lot because that movie hit, and then I was able to be seen like as a movie star. So then I was able to go get other movies on my own and stuff. So and then probably you know, like the movie that just didn't work out that probably had the worst experience. You know, I had a lot of fun doing this movie, but I wish I could have did it my way, which was The Honeymooners, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean, Like, no, what I knew you were going to say, Man, like this movie. We shot that movie in Ireland. It was me and Mike. And the thing about it is like this kind of like what people don't know about the.
Speaker 4: Business, like because we had like an executive that really got us when we started the movie. The dude that was like with us to write in the checks in the studio, he really got the whole thing. So but then he got fired, so before the movie even got made. It was a new dude then came in with his idea. He put the dog in and he made us do this. He made us do that. Then we had a budget, and then something happened and they cut our budget, like maybe maybe a month before were supposed to start cut our budget by like by ten million.
Speaker 1: It was like a number cut the budget, like like a number, like a real number.
Speaker 4: They cut that joint, so then we had to read. That's how we ended up going to Ireland because the movie based in New York. So we ended up going to Ireland to shoot cause yeah, yeah, they was had all these you know, and the you know, the producer that was doing it, he was like he had just did a movie over there, so he had connections, so he was like, we're going over there to shoot this movie.
Speaker 1: But you know, it changed everything.
Speaker 4: Man, It was like one of those but you know the idea of having a franchise like that to your point, like I felt like if we could have really did the movie the way that we envisioned made with the first dude, we would have had a big franchise that would have really worked because me and Mike Epps were the right people for that, for that concept, except that, you know, this other.
Speaker 1: Dude, he kind of came in and just changed the vibe the whole thing. So that was it.
Speaker 3: Get doubt where you going chief, you know, the entertainers in the field. So we you know, I feel like we should we must entertain entertained. Yeah, brother, let me see let me go back and check this thing.
Speaker 5: Oh man, it's time to be talented.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Take there in church with all the muscles and stuff. They kick his ass out of the brother Sagar the entertainer away from from the new. Yeah, yes, my brother, you have been entertaining from continent a compliment. Yeah, you're also.
Speaker 3: One of your entertaining skills is that you are second tenor first babs. You have displayed your vocals in a group with a street name after the street added ment to it to make it cool. It didn't knock with you. You made it man.
Speaker 1: Made it man. I want to know what's on your mind.
Speaker 2: We want to know the songs that encourage you to step out and use your vocals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we call that show what you call it? Cham top five?
Speaker 7: Your top five? Yeah yeah, your top fuck me singers?
Speaker 1: Whatever are so we got to know before you go to your bagg You want to know you.
Speaker 4: Yes, do.
Speaker 1: You lit f That's nice right there? Man? Okay, okay, boy was letting it that came up with that with that was nice right there? Brother, say my top five top five R and B singer.
Speaker 4: I man, you know this is tough man, because I grew up with it was some singles, single singles growing up, man, But you know, probably on my you know, number one on my list always is Marvin Gaye.
Speaker 1: Come love Martin.
Speaker 5: Let's get it off with Marvin.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cut it. I'm a I'm a crooner kind of person. I love the crooners. So then Luther, Luther and Luther gonna fall up in there.
Speaker 4: I like Frankie Beverly, Like, you know, Frankie got a very unique kind of tonality that sometimes people you know what I'm saying, You ain't.
Speaker 1: No single gonna stand flat footed and sing Frankie, not for not for an hour and a half. I agree.
Speaker 4: I agree people who got to misk screw what he does right there? Then and you know, then I'm Shad is on my interesting. I just fell in love with her like I used to be a DJ and Collin and I got her first album and it was just like you know, had the little radio station and then and then it was like and then and then one of the most unique. I don't know if it's unique, but my favorite R and B voice it's Tyrese. Yeah, I like I like the of his voice. I don't it's no fight for me.
Speaker 1: It's something about that that little gruffness solid And I mean, you know.
Speaker 3: He's gonna thank you for this because he doesn't realize how good of a singer he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tell him now that I'm like I said, you're one of my favorite voices. Man, I like your tone.
Speaker 3: He doesn't really because he's what people don't know is that he's when it comes to his voice and all of these things, like he's of course like very I can't really do that and I can't, but nigga, what you do do, right, it's pretty fucking serious. Yeah, So he has these kind of like almost insecure moments. You have to remind him like, hey, nigga, you're one of.
Speaker 1: You can do that.
Speaker 4: So he's gonna love this. And of course he's just so many other ones. And I love Jevy yards Born. There's a lot of people that very white, that deep baritone.
Speaker 1: Charlie yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, and so like them.
Speaker 4: And then and then somebody like Maxwell that kind of came in and just did a thing that was like like when he came he had that kind.
Speaker 1: Of smooth arm uh, that neo soul groove that was like another little thing that I liked. So your top five R and B songs, all right? Uh, okay, get Marvin Gaye go to is Come Live with Me from the I Want You album.
Speaker 4: I love that song right there, that's mine. I love that right there. Let me see I like promise me Luther. Yeah, I like that one right there. I'm gonna go with I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 4: This is one only because I love a song. I don't even know why, but it's Champagne life. Yeah til the cop stuck come knocking like that? So yeah, yeah, and then and then and then a shot a uh you know, I like, damn nothing can come between us and and Frankie Beverly while I'm alone.
Speaker 1: That's I listen to that song. Oh yeah from the Midwest. You know this church dream. I ain't saying no names. Come, I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names. Where he was, what we was, weird?
Speaker 3: What you need?
Speaker 7: Don't see ship?
Speaker 1: I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we had a very very part part of the show. Yeah, will you tell us the story funny or fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? The only rulee to this game is you can't say the name.
Speaker 1: Name huh mm hm. So you know what I was, I was thinking about this.
Speaker 4: That was uh that was doing the uh he was doing the movie Honeymooners. So everybody flew over to uh Amsterdam. So we in Amsterdam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are we out, We we are, we out, and.
Speaker 4: Now we're outside, you know we first time you pull up in the cafes, you walk around, you can drink, you can walk in the place, grab a drink and go walking with it.
Speaker 1: So then we go to the you know, we go to the red light district. You're like, yeah, we gotta see it, got to see it. See it.
Speaker 4: Now you realize you out in the world and you kind of walking around and you start seeing other people like that's from the States. So we started yelling out famous whenever we would see somebody, so like, you know, somebody, we cold up the street and see a couple of NBA playing Famous then but so like as the night got on, you start hearing other people saying it. So now we're kind of looking like for who they see, you know, like different folks like you were just here yell like down the street. So now you know, you got the main part of the of the of the the red like district, and then you got so I see this one NBA player, We see each other. We laugh, were like all right, boy, thanks there. We crossed each other path a couple of times. So now you go deep into the red like this, and there's some other streets you don't even realize, like okay, they going this the commercial version, and then it's the then it's the like okay, they going wild up in here, like so we up in there black market, Yeah, it's like okay, okay.
Speaker 1: This well that girl is Chinese and Hawaii and okay, this is interesting like this.
Speaker 4: So we all up in there were crying, so we we like we walking, we get were about to come out, and then we see this one big rap star coming out of one of them and I y'all yell it and the basketball player is overcoming round right behind me. I don't even know it, and we both yelling at the same time, and then we dying like my man come out out of the room like.
Speaker 1: Most people like just on the streets, ain't drinking. We ain't never seen.
Speaker 4: Nobody go anyone. I can't say, but then broke and walking out the room and we go we died like man up in the Jones.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a big deal too. At the time. He was like, oh, my man is up inside the Jorge.
Speaker 3: Okay, listen man, it's fun though what they say minus well, yeah, went in the wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I know, what about what about to about what my tour manager does? He loved that, like for so he he couldn't even wait. I was like, but you know, I ain't get ready to go up in there.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He was like, well, I'm gonna get you back to the hotel.
Speaker 4: What you Yeah, you know what what year was this? This was like oh nine wait oh now yeah, yeah, somewhere in there I went in ninety eight. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah it was Yeah. It's wild of lord people. I just went back over there with my wife and you know, a man, a couple of ye you're sitting there trying to just prayering. We just like walking you see that.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Don't don't say my name. If somebody would have said my that's nothing, that's nothing.
Speaker 1: You you under say the one now, yeah, like that, don't Saturday. That's crazy. That's like they just did a lot of my movies.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get off this street just pret dumb. It's just too much going on over here, babe, don't.
Speaker 3: You agree, Yes, sir, I know the vibes well, Brother Cedric the Entertainer. We appreciate you, brother, first man, we salute you and all that you've done as as a representation of who we are man as one of our leaders. Man, we really really appreciate you. Man, Big up Man, I thank you and support you.
Speaker 1: I think that, man.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've always been a super solid dude at all times. And you know, and again I really you know, I enjoy y'all show. I've seen this, you know show a couple of different people on here, you know what I'm saying. But I love the fact that, you know, you definitely one of those people that always reinvent always you know.
Speaker 1: You know, like and keeping it popping in.
Speaker 4: So man, big up Man, is fun to be on here, man, Jay, you know, definitely been knowing each other, So it's.
Speaker 1: Fun to be here man. You know. So there's dope gonna come to Vegas, man. Yeah, don't forget. We got free meals for some of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get in the d MS on the podlet Uh, and we're gonna get you some free meals so that you can go see some good.
Speaker 1: Foolish no good stuff.
Speaker 4: Man, No great dinner, A dinner the show, Yeah yeah, and dinner the show Valentine's Week.
Speaker 1: You know, if I didn't have to work, I will come.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: You gotta be out somewhere. They want to see these. Yeah, yeah, they gotta do it.
Speaker 4: That boy came out I saw you at Vegas on that and I said, this was the TV T G T T. The man didn't give him no chance to not have his shirt.
Speaker 1: The man, I said, that boy walked out there. What's up Las Vegas? Yeah, yeah, he says, you gotta be get give a chance.
Speaker 3: No, y'all, I know what y'all know that this there come on talking about it, talk about.
Speaker 1: I don't care why they showed up. Yeah, let's go. I got it. Yeah I tried it one time. Yeah, it's like just shirt back. I was really good.
Speaker 4: That did come push ups? They don't one of the moments where yeah, I'm right, I'm alright. You know you Steve boy, Steven jumped out there. You know you holded up Yeah, yeah, hold it up.
Speaker 1: See when you took the picture.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, Harbor go out there like yeah here tell him man, Man, sometimes you know you use your muscles.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I want to shot that ship. Yeah, that boy sitting like like the A L P M. Hot dog, like late late night.
Speaker 4: Let me get that last one. Drank that Steve Harvey dog like greased up sweat and ship dog got sexy older all that. Yeah, that's yeah, you know what I mean, like fucking shine up.
Speaker 1: It's good. Be like that man, that's my dog. He be like they all feeling good on this ship.
Speaker 3: Thank you said, but thank you for your for your brotherhood. Thank you for thank you for being who you are man, and we we we look forward to too much more. Man, as you tap back into this movie space, you don't kill it. Yes, I'm never worried about you. What you do Man West Brother and the Bill.
Speaker 1: Let's do this. Let's do this to this album. Man, serious, I am too. I'm with this. We're gonna be on this nest. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know you know you have me singing some big he loved him big songs though. You have to be also, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Feeling always big body his name, that's his guy. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I can't even slow song. That's gonna be getting pendergrass.
Speaker 3: Dgraph.
Speaker 1: As my nigger hero would say, Ladies are just.
Speaker 3: And this is the Army Money podcast, the authority on all things R and B. You have heard true vocals today from the man himself, the Real Entertainer.
Speaker 1: Ship R and B Money.
Speaker 3: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com, forward Slash R and B Money