Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 3: Good morning to you Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Welcome in.
Speaker 3: Hello, my dear friend Dan Bayer. Jason Stewart, the esteem producer of The DG Show as well as Today's Dan Patrick Show, joining us as well. And I won't be the first, I won't be the last, but I can't wish you happy New Year. New Year's Eve brings us a reaction to last night's Monday night football game, which was entertaining and of course we had a notable injury to a very notable figure for the defending NFC champion San Francisco forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: And it gives us.
Speaker 3: Football today or tonight, as we have the first in the second round quarterfinals of the College football Playoff. And I think it's actually the perfect game, so we get a lot to get to the first.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 3: This is this is always a good time in the morning when you wake up to go, hey, let's let's look back at last night's Monday night football game.
Speaker 2: Gave us a little bit.
Speaker 3: Everything got a hook and ladder, which was not you know, is a great trick play for a touchdown in the first half, exciting ending, and then you have a brock Party injury. Like, the biggest takeaway in your mind is what from that game?
Speaker 4: Well, it's actually brock Party's injury. But to your point of the Lions, not only are the Lions saying, yeah, we're gonna play our guys in what is a meaningless game for us, what really matters is Week eighteen. Not only are we gonna do that, We're gonna run a trick play that I don't know if they've used other times this season. I know they've done a bunch of other stuff, but let's throw that one on tape from Minnesota to worry about. They just don't let up, And that's the crazy thing. They could have came out there with a vanilla playbook, had Jamier Gibbs maybe play a quarter, but no, they went full throttle the rest of the way. Almost lost the game. But the biggest takeaway is the brock Party injury, depending on the severity of it, which we don't know right now, because lost in all of this is that, well, we thought that the Lions should pack it in last night and not do anything. Maybe it should have been brock Party. Maybe Brock Party should have just set these final two games for San Francisco just because of his contract situation and what could be ahead for him in that regard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we don't know, and uh it if you look online, right, but the fear obviously is in the throwing elbow, right, which was or throw throwing potential throwing shoulder. And when you have a guy who they don't have to extend him at the end of this year, right he has, he's under contract for another year, they don't have to. But when you think of what's out there, Kirk Cousins out there, right, uh, and then you have Sam Donald could be will be potentially out there. Cousins obviously played for Kyle Shanahan in Washington and uh Sam Darld started a couple of games last year replacing Brock Purty due to injury. Like this, this completely changes in many ways the perception of what's going to happen this upcoming off season for Party. I mean, look, I don't think he bought all of those Toyota Tacoma TRD trucks, but probably not, probably not. But if he did, like we're talking minimum fifty times, I think eight to ten offensive linemen, and I don't know if he can't back by the backup. So if it's ten, like you're going to drop five hundred grand when you make less than a million, there's that thought like he is expecting a payday. He has been told there's a payday coming, and now what do you do if you're John Lynch and you're like, yeah, I can't do that, would do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah. What even complicates things now even more is if this is significant, and again we don't know.
Speaker 3: Which today it's really really important because I don't want anybody to think if you woke up, you just turned on that we know it's a significant injury.
Speaker 2: We have no idea got him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's all right. But I think that we didn't question brock Perty's health considering he came back from the injury and didn't miss a regular season game the next year from it when he was hurt against the Philadelphia Eagles a couple of years ago. So now the whole debate about Purdy has been is Purty good enough? Is it Purdy or is it all the weapons around him? Riggy Piersaw last night had a great night. You know, stat wise, the Niners couldn't get stops on defense, which is probably their biggest problem. Perty did have some bad turnovers. There is the knock on him of are you trying to do too much? But ultimately, Doug, now all of a sudden injury prone or significant injury with the elbow comes into the equation comes into the negotiation, and I think that complicates things even more because if it is significant, now it's your second significant elbow injury early on in your career, and who knows how that goes down the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have no idea.
Speaker 3: You know, it could be a nerve in there which makes it feel like it's worse than it is. But you're right once you start to say like one injury, like okay, it's just an injury, when it's the second one, now, well it's chronic. And the crazy part was the first three drives. He had three drives in a row where he was nine of nine, one hundred and thirty one yards.
Speaker 2: I saw it. I mean he was killing it.
Speaker 3: I mean really, Now, I know Detroit's defense wasn't great to begin with, and now being depleted by some injuries is even worse. But the interesting part is how brock Purty had had a very average year because of all of the in many ways, all of the injuries of the guys surrounding him. And look, I don't think he's nearly at the level of those elite quarterbacks, and I don't think he should be compensated as such. But again, I don't evaluate quarterbacks for living. I'm not Kyle Shanahan, I'm not John Lynch. To their team, they know it better than we do. And last night was one of the first nights all year when she looking, You're like, whoa while, brock Purty looking looks a little different, little better tonight than he has previously. And then he goes and gets hurt and again, might be something minor, might be just a nerve inflammation which makes you arm feel like it's on fire, and structurally it's fine, but you're you're totally right, Dan. Anybody who has a brain sits there and goes like, wait, wait, he had a major surgery on it previously, and now he has to leave a game, a close game because it feeling like it's on fire, Like what else can go wrong? And oh yet it's not like it's not an arm he's not going to use it was his left arm, like, all right, well, you know it's gonna be painful, but he doesn't need that one. It's the one elbow, you know, one of the two elbows that he actually needs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it completely messes up the equation. They didn't have a running game last night. They were willing to get into a shootout with the Detroit Lions. And we've looked at the forty nine ers over the last couple of years, whether it be Christian McCaffrey, whether it be Jordan Mason when he was feeling in earlier of the season, or Elijah Mitchell other times, and even before that where he mostered, it's been running, running, running, and last night that wasn't the case. They aired it out. Party had three hundred and seventy seven yards. All those who are anti Party and don't pay Party will just point to the two interceptions because they didn't look good air mailing one in the middle of the field. You could always point to that stuff. But as he said, he started out nine to nine through for almost four hundred yards in the game that had what ten touchdowns and no punts. I think, like it's crazy. I mean, he put on a show last night, but then there's still questions, and now the injury stuff complicates things.
Speaker 3: And then the big question is what Dan Campbell did playing all his starters. Here's Campbell, head coach of the still first place Detroit Lions, when he was asked if he considered resting his starters for last night's game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was on my mind, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean I thought a lot about it, you know, I thought about it leading up to the game. I thought about it last night. I told the staff. But I ended up settling on the right thing to do was play these guys, and and because we owed it to the team, you know, and and it was just one of those those positions we were in. It's just hard to say who you're going to sit, and and it's not fair to ask guys to play that haven't been prepared to play. You know.
Speaker 3: Those answers make no sense, by the way. I do understand the hey, you can't, you can't sit everybody, but the how could you not be? You had an extra data prep. You knew this was a possibility, right, you knew it was a possibility. I don't understand that answer. Yeah, I guess what he's saying is, look, had Minnesota lost, but had Minnesota lost, they you know, and they won be in the same situation, still have to win the game on Sunday.
Speaker 4: I also don't want to sound callous, but isn't that what backups are for? I mean, like, there's.
Speaker 3: Don't we always don't you always tell your guys you stay ready?
Speaker 4: They ready?
Speaker 2: They ready?
Speaker 3: He's not really ready. It's not fair to him. What is he talking about? Look, I like Dan Campbell, I can just tell you this all gas and no breaks thing.
Speaker 2: It sounds really, really good.
Speaker 3: I can tell you from personal experience, it is an atrocious idea. I don't care what you do if you lose your start. Your starters are your starters for a reason. What are you doing? You did not have to play last night's game to win. And like, I'm a crazy competitive person. My team is in a is in a losing streak. We've had a gigantic injury on our team, okay, and it's one of those like we're in that phase to where like, if it can go wrong, it goes wrong. That's just kind of where it goes and you got to turn around and fix it. Okay, but everyone knows that your likelihood of success is made even greater in the playoffs when you have healthy players. Nothing matters. Unless you have healthy players, it's so hard to do with backups. And there's what was the win in winning last night, especially now that you got a short week of prep to go play the Minnesota Vikings. How does that make any sense? And his need to go for it right like it's gotten a beaten this year. Heck, last year there was the decisions on win to go for it, not to go for it against the Niners in the NFC Championship game, which in the first half he didn't. In the second half he did, and it backfired on him and they gave away a lead. And I'm not saying he's not a tremendous coach, but that particular decision and his defense of the decision really didn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what also doesn't make sense. This is Jared Goff after the win last night.
Speaker 6: I think that's the only way we know, you know, it's just go and find a way to win. And you know the team we were playing, you know, in San Francisco, like this is what ended our season last year, And there was a lot of guys on this team that were there last year that you know, wanted to get one back on them, even though you know, in a lot of ways it was meaningless for them and meaningless for us. But they were prideful out there too. They were trying to you know, beat us as well, and it was a fun game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I get it. It's like, we just we lost the Niners last year in the playoffs. We want to put the steak in. They're already not in the playoffs. They're already not in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: The part that I don't get is how in the world could that be payback Like last year was for a trip to the Super Bowl. This year meant nothing to either side. It's actually one of the glaring things about Nick Sirianni. For all of the things that we will point out and the dumb stuff that the Eagles head coach does, there may have been nothing worse than taunting Chiefs fans after beating them in Kansas City when the Chiefs beat them in the Super Bowl the prior year. Like, it wasn't it wasn't payback, It wasn't revenge. I don't know how you could get revenge from losing a Super Bowl, except if you played them in the Super Bowl the next year. This didn't even less impact than that Chiefs Eagles get Doug there was. It meant nothing to neither to both sides and to sit there and say like they're prideful, like that's garbage. Nobody last night thought yeah, revenge, none at all.
Speaker 3: There wasn't even there wasn't a single Lions fan. And you and I work with Christophett who's the Lions. Not a single Lions fan on the on the planet, on the planet, who's like hey, or even for last year, huh?
Speaker 2: You like that, buddy? You like that?
Speaker 3: Like even like not one, No, nobody, nobody thinks that. And and you know, I love the idea of trying to win every day, trying to win every game.
Speaker 2: That were competitive people, You can.
Speaker 3: The backups can compete as well, because you know what you're playing for something more important than a Monday night football game in week seventeen of an NFL season. You're playing for a super Bowl, to win a super Bowl with the Detroit Lions. That's the only thing that matters is the super Bowl with the Detroit Lions. And and and nothing that was done last It was a fun game, don't get me wrong, Like we've had a lot of like drudgery here end of the season with some of these games. Guys in the limpited the fun game forty thirty four points score trick plays awesome, But I mean for a team that's already been depleted, already lost, you know, lost a running back, lost, the middle linebacker, lost, some ancillary pieces like what are you doing? What what are you possibly doing? Hey, payback? Some of these guys want to pay back. We want to pay back.
Speaker 2: It's not payback, not payback.
Speaker 3: Uh, Jay stew you you you want to propose a bit? Is that what you want to do?
Speaker 7: Happy New Year's Eve, a gentleman I put together.
Speaker 2: Isn't it a Happy New Year's Eve? Day?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just saying it's a weird sentence. But new Year's Eve, I mean, I guess, I guess it can be used. It depends on the use of the word eve. Eve can be day before, but it's really night before, is it not.
Speaker 7: Yeah? No, I'll definitely I think right on that one.
Speaker 8: I put together a gift for listeners as we look back on twenty twenty four. I wanted to play my personal favorite soundbites from the year and by all means Doug Dan listeners, if you have any contribution, let us know. But I want to play at the end of each segment today, just something that was memorable, something that's stuck out from twenty twenty four in sports, And I want to start with somebody that Doug actually either attended high school with or went to the same high school as test.
Speaker 3: And high school and go to ten high school with.
Speaker 2: He was a freshman, I was a senior.
Speaker 8: Deshaun Foster gets the job at UCLA and he shows up at Big Ten media days and he just wows the world with charisma.
Speaker 9: UCLA and a Big Ten where a school that's won what one hundred and twenty three championship. So this fits as being right in this conference football wise, which is excited.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: I'm sure you guys don't know too much about UCLA but our football program, but we're in LA. It's us in usc.
Speaker 10: We uh.
Speaker 2: The crazy part was for people who don't know.
Speaker 3: We actually had Deshaun on the Doug Gottlieb Show like a half hour after that happened, and he was like, yeah, well what happened was I didn't know if us was to make a statement or answer the question. He was great about it, but yeah, that was that that wasn't great.
Speaker 7: Well they turned it into it. I want to say, he turned it in the thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we're in la Yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: Oh by the way, I have veto put this together so I can'tnot play what I was supposed to do right before we played the Shaun Foster. Yeah, is this is the intro for the for the bit today they said.
Speaker 7: What they said?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 8: So you'll be hearing more sound throughout the show listeners. I hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a really good veto, did a really good job. What what did you choke? Did you get too excited about playing the sound? What happened?
Speaker 7: Oh? You know, I'm I'm not a host by trade.
Speaker 2: No you are. You're the FM morning morning radio host.
Speaker 3: We we've we've we've established that that you love to do the well not let don't call it a throwback, because you really want to do what was hot on the Billboard top charts in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Right, that's we've established that.
Speaker 3: Don't don't don't duck and dodge that thing. You got too excited because the clip is way too funny. Everybody does it. That clip is too funny. You can't hear it one more time. I got to hear that again.
Speaker 2: We're we're in l A with USC.
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, they said, what.
Speaker 2: Oh so good, so good.
Speaker 9: We're a school that's won what one hundred and twenty three championships? So this fits us being right in this conference football wise, which is excited. You know, I'm sure you guys don't know too much about UCLA but our football program.
Speaker 10: But we're in LA.
Speaker 9: It's us in USC.
Speaker 11: We RelA, it's us in USC.
Speaker 3: Rapid Radio's official walkie talking to The Dan Patrick Show offers national LT coverage and no subscriptions ever. A great alternative for your kids. We use them right here in the show. Good Rapid Radios dot com now for up to six percent off plus free shipping. I'm Doug, gotabees Dan Byer.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich.
Speaker 7: On Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you in to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: We have Round two of the college football playoffs getting underway tonight again time same same idea as last time around one game today and then three tomorrow. I think this is the perfect bowl game, Fiesta Bowl Game. Now, look, full disclosure, it's ridiculous that boyse you gotta buy. Equally ridiculous that Arizona State wins the Big Twelve and they're not playing in Glendale. And as much a you can say, well, that would be a that would be an unfair our home field advantage is like, okay, so neither Arizona State nor Boise State deserved to be a top four seed. But if they're going to be a top four seed and the difference is all that slight, shouldn't you want to sell tickets?
Speaker 2: And if you sold tickets?
Speaker 3: And I just saw online that tickets for Arizona State's game in but in Georgia are going for pennies on the dollar. So congratulations on screwing something up that was pretty easy right there in front of you. But regardless of it, Dan, can I make the pitch to you of why I think.
Speaker 2: This is the perfect game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd love to hear it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So basically for the last I don't know, twenty five years or so, and obviously it got worse once we got the College Football Playoff, the four team playoff, but remember we'd always have these bowl games. We had Hawaii taken on. Who'd they get pummeled by in this Sugar Bowl? Is that Alabama?
Speaker 4: Georgia?
Speaker 2: Georgia? And the Sugar blank was just bad? Right?
Speaker 3: But also you had Boise taked out Oklahoma in this in the Fiesta Bowl, that was the hook and ladder play, right. You had the Statue of Liberty. You had Chris Myers going okay, and now you're gonna ask your girlfriend to marry you, Like, dude, what are you doing anyway? Like arguably one of the most famous subsets. And you'd always get from the side of the SEC, the side of the Big twelve, the side of the Big Ten, like, hey, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, likes a bowl game.
Speaker 3: We get a swag bag, We had to ride roller coasters and have big dinner, and freshmen get to a more chance to work out, Like it's never really mattered to us, right, And there was no real payoff other than to say, hey, we won that bowl game, which is sort of bragging rights. But like you know, the SEC especially has had that, like we love what you know, bowl games only matter when we win them. Well, now the Big Ten who Let's just be honest, over the last twenty five years outside of Ohio State been pathetic in Bowl games that faired in Yeah, yeah, okay, right, Big ten. Considering the historic nature and success of Big ten programs generally, again I'm saying this is more generalization.
Speaker 2: Generally, the Big Ten has been pathetic in Bolt.
Speaker 4: It's funny because there's a Big Ten guy. I don't even know. I just went along with it, so I honestly I have no idea.
Speaker 3: But sure, okay, it's not an every year thing. I would say more often than not, regardless of Okay, and the Big Ten is never has usually not been the conference like that doesn't matter to us, right, but the SEC has been it doesn't. These games don't matter. Well, this one matters, Okay. You have that same Cinderella type story in Boise State, granted dramatically overseated, and they get the benefit of not having to play last weekend so they're fresh, they're rested.
Speaker 2: This is the best that Boise is going to have.
Speaker 3: And proximity wise, you know, you get on a Southwest flight or what's that other airline that you can actually go into Mesa with. But Masa's on the other side of the earth from Glendale anyway. Point is they'll have a great crowd, a great chance to win against big bad Penn State, and Penn State cannot say it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Matter to us, because this is all that matters.
Speaker 3: So you have the you know, in basketball you'd have the bracketbuster, the high major versus the mid major. You finally actually have that in college football for a chance to go to the Foal four. I think it's kind of sweet that as much as they screwed up a lot of it. And again, like I even think Penn State's kind of overseated, and and we're making a bigger thing about Penn State, who's Okay, they're not great, But you get a chance for the real Everyone who went to a school that's not a power for school. Anyone who's ever felt slighted felt like they belonged. And even heck Mile montered Oklahoma State where you know, you go back to the Brandon Whedon team that won was that the twenty twelve I think Fiesta Bowl right there was that they couldn't get into the National Championship game loose doing Iowa State on a missed field goal.
Speaker 2: Right, even those ones.
Speaker 3: Like the overlooked non name brand teams now are gonna be rooting for Boise And you got the Big Ten and Penn State and all their tradition coming in and you know, of course, we know James Franklin always takes, you know, catching strays for not beating ranked teams. It's kind of a no win for James Franklin. They win, they're supposed to be Boise State, they lose. While it's going to be ugly in state college, I think it's like the perfect game, perfect game on a New Year's Eve.
Speaker 4: I and I can completely accept that, And I just wonder if there is a bit of a letdown from what we had in the first opening games because you mentioned the ticket prices, and by the way, the Big Twelve was supposed to go to the Fiesta Bowl. But what happened is that Boise State just ended up again the fruits of being higher in the rankings. Because they ended up being higher, they got placed in the Fiesta Bowl in that closer region, which put Arizona State. But I think the Big Twelve was under the assumption that if it was BYU, if it was Colorado, if it was Arizona State, that they likely would have gotten to play in the Fiesta Bowl, but that's why they ended up in the Peach Bowl because Boise State was higher. But to your point, Doug, I look at the basketball tournament, the final fours, the sweet sixteens, and what do we love. We love a little bit of Cinderella and then we want it good at the end, and we'll probably get that in this college football playoff. But the question is is how much do we want Do we want Boise State to win this game? Do we want Boise State to go and play Georgia or Notre Dame in the semi final? I'm not sure. I can't even tell you right now, as crazy as it sounds. And that's why I think after these games, despite the first ones being blowouts, something new, there was something unique about it. And yeah, whether it's Alabama or LSU or you know, SMU, excuse me, I'm not worried about it. But I don't know where that medium, that happy medium is that we've kind of figured out in the men's you know, NCAA tournament, and I think it's going to take a little time. This this one off tonight could be a great way to start it, and then it leads into the to the Arizona State Texas game tomorrow. But yeah, I don't have a read. I don't know if I would feel differently if it was, say, you know, Penn State against Alabama, as crazy as that sounds, because of what we have with Oregon and Ohio State and Notre Dame in Georgia, I don't know if we need Alabama, but I can see where you're coming from. I just want to find that happy medium that I don't know where it's at because this is so new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd say this. I think.
Speaker 3: If Boise were to win tonight, if Boys were to win tonight, I think next week is the perfect example of why all of us know Boise can't win this thing.
Speaker 2: They just can't.
Speaker 3: Just the attrition of playing a big boy and then you play a real big boy next week, you just you get so beat up and so worn down you do. I think what's the other interesting element to it is, again it's not as much this week as it is for the next game, is like once these teams that have had to play the extra game, like that's Notre Dame loses with their best defensive lineman, Like you're gonna lose a guy in every game. Now, the difference in the Georgia's, to a lesser extent, Notre Dame, but the Super the Ohio States of the world is they do have a depth of talent that the other schools don't.
Speaker 2: Just that's what the money does.
Speaker 3: For people who haven't listened to The Doug Gottlieb Show, it airs every afternoon three to five Eastern twelve two Pacific. Dan Buyer alongside and Jason Stewart. We're in for Dan and the Dan Nets today. This is your seeing it in college basketball, and I think the truth is it's really right there in college football. I know it's hard for you to conceptualize. How could Alabama lose to Vandy, lose to Oklahoma? Just the attrition of playing the best competition week in week out is completely different. It's just it's a different sport and they're dealing with a different salary cap. Even Indiana, who I didn't think belonged in the field and got thoroughly undressed, the fact is that Indiana did spend.
Speaker 2: A ton of money.
Speaker 3: Like you don't always get a championship team when you put a bunch of money together for these college rosters, but more often than not, you do. And it's just a depth of athletes at those schools because they have substantially more money, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's really, really it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just I'm not complaining about my situation. I took a job late, knowing all of the pit but I was just, you know, before we started the show. I mean when my assistant's office, like man could have had that. There's a dude who we were recruiting. It was late, he was available, we didn't get and my Sistan's like, why didn't we get him? And I was like, we didn't have the cheddar. It was just too much money for us. Just was like, that's the reality to it. And yeah, they're better, they got more money. They're supposed to be better, you know. So I'm not an SEC alumn, I'm not an SEC wonk, but I also know how this deal works, and I think it's going to get worse before it gets better in terms of the disparity between the SEC and to a little slightly lesser extent, the Big ten and everybody else because they just make more money. They have more money. And again, now next year you can bring it in house. You know, and pay and have the players under an nil contract from the university, and there's universities have more money.
Speaker 2: They don't just make money on that. Everybody says the TV deal.
Speaker 3: TV deals great, but that makes sure all the lights are on, all the pretty things or whatever. They can make one hundred and fifty million dollars a year off of their stadiums. They have bigger stadiums that are always filled and they and then then you get into all the other stuff.
Speaker 2: So they.
Speaker 3: It's just the idea that you're really you're going to be competitive three weeks in a row with teams that have you know, five to ten to twenty x. The spending of what you have is it's really kind of silly when you think about it. Now, in a one game scenario, can you pull it off? Yeah, boys, you can beat Penn State. But can they beat Penn State and then beat Georgia and then beat somebody else.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 4: So Brett McMurphy's report yesterday from the Action that Works in that the committee is going to look at the bracket and possibly change the conference winners getting the automatic bids like Boise State did and Arizona State did. That You would still go with the rankings at least at some point to give your top four buys, you would give them the automatic bid to the tournament, but they wouldn't get the buy, which could change as soon as next year if everyone's on board, and I'm curious on why the Big twelve or the Mountain West would want to be on board with this. But again at the SEC and the Big ten are playing hardball for future agreements that could possibly change. But I think that Boise State actually has a different field dug, and this is why it's difficult. And I don't know if Boise State would have won in the quarterfinals or excuse me one in the first round and now is on a streak going into this Bowl game. Here, it almost seems like the Cinderella run into the semi final is just too far when you get down to the final four. And I wonder if it would have been more fulfilling to see to see that sort of advancement by a Boise State team, you know what I mean, like to have them win a first round game, they become then the story where right now they haven't even played a game and there isn't even the feel for Cinderella, and it's almost difficult to find them as a Cinderella considering that they are going to be the higher seeded team and wearing the home uniforms today against Penn State. So it's it's just it's very, very odd, and I feel that the role of the Cinderella would likely be fit better if that new format was put in in Boise State ended up winning a first round game.
Speaker 3: The dam Patrick Show, Fox Sports Treaties Dan Byrum, Doug Gottlieb. Let's let's get a little as we recap twenty twenty four on New Year's Eve Day, we play little They say what?
Speaker 2: They said? What?
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, they said what?
Speaker 7: Doug.
Speaker 8: I just I've found a gift for our listeners. I wasn't able to afford buying gifts for all our listeners, so but I wanted to give them the gift of sound. And I think this might be my favorite. This might be the best piece of sound from the year twenty twenty four. Was it twenty twenty four?
Speaker 4: It's two two thousand, Yeah, only eighteen thousand years off.
Speaker 8: Andrew Reis wanted to kind of sum up the impact that her and Caitlin Clark had on the world of women's college basketball. And this is a real gym.
Speaker 13: It all started from the National Championship game. And I've been dealing with this for two years now and understanding like, yeah, negative things have probably been said about me, but honestly, I'll take that because look where women's basketball is. People are talking about women's basketball. You never would think that we talking about women's basketball. People are pulling up to games. We got celebrities coming to games, sold aut arenas like just because of one single game and just looking at that, like, I'll take that role.
Speaker 7: I'll take the bad guy role.
Speaker 13: And I'll continue to take that on and be that for my teammates. And if I want to be that, and I know I'll go down to history. I'll look back twenty years they'd be like, yeah, the reason why we watch that women's basketball is not just because of one person. It's because of me too, And I want you.
Speaker 14: To hey, I was in that game too. People don't like me, That's why they watch.
Speaker 4: What's so great is the whole WNBA was was like trying to go against Caitlyn Clark, and there's this whole ground swell of look at what, look at what Asia Wilson has done.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, look, why are we not talking more about Asia Wilson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look at look at the other you know, Maya Moore, all these other players at Leasta Leslie, all that they've done for the you know, for the w and and Cheryl Swoops and Cynthia Cooper, all these great players, which I think with that we do recognize yet hear Angel Reese is like, yeah, it's none of them. It's none of them. You want to give it to Kaitlyn Clark, but it's also me. Oh, just magnificent, magnificent sound bite.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys watched the I watched all the Christmas Day games, and there was one thing that was interesting was even though it was the NBA, you saw like State Farm replaced Chris Paul with I don't know who the WNBA player was the game was on. I was working in my office at the time, and many of the WNBA stars Asia Wilson now is in a Nike AD, sure right, a Nike AD And just it's one of those things where like, at some point you have to you have to realize the league did exist for twenty five years and no one in the mainstream paid attention until Caitlin Clark came around. I don't know why that's a bad thing, Why people can't accept it, why people can't realize it that you know, you fall in love with, Like Taylor Swift is not the world's greatest singer.
Speaker 2: She had the world's greatest.
Speaker 3: Songwriter, right anyone, I'm not anyone would tell you that that Bob Dylan is fifteen times whatever she's ever been. But she's a billionaire and she can only bring positive attention to females in music. And the more you fight it, the more you look like an idiot. Well's the same thing here with Caitlyn Clerk, you know, like she's a thing, she's made. She's made to where a couple of things that that angel Re said are accurate, Like I've been doing this job for over twenty years. Okay, outside of the I must deal with Rutgers. We never talked about women's basketball ever, and it wasn't because we hate it or don't like it.
Speaker 2: It's just nobody cared.
Speaker 3: Nobody cared, and we talked about it more this year in twenty four and then we talked probably about baseball, which had a fifty to fifty guy and now two seven hundred million dollar contracts and the Dodgers beat the Yankees. Definitely, we didn't utter a word about hockey. Then do they still play hockey?
Speaker 2: Right? So she's right, but the hey it's me, I'm hey me either reason.
Speaker 13: Like history, I'll look back at twenty years think like, yeah, the reason why we watch on women's basketball is not just because of person, it's because of me too.
Speaker 4: And I went that was more a slap in the face to any current or former w NBA player than anything. Caitlin Clark did that comment there like no, it was also it was it was me, It wasn't you guys. Katelyn Clark at least is given credit to the those of the past. That one she told on.
Speaker 8: Herself and car spent over backwards almost pandering to No.
Speaker 3: Now she's gotten to have to had to pander. She's it sucks, she's had to pander.
Speaker 7: It's not just one person, it's two.
Speaker 3: It's not just it's not just one person, it's me. Let's let's look a bit about me and more about me.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Some interesting going ons last night in the Nation Football League, with the Detroit Lions surviving the San Francisco forty Niners. Monday Night football brock pretty though it went down with some form of elbow injury. We think it's an elbow injury. We don't really really know. We don't know the severity of it or anything of it, only with reports of that his arm was on fire and leaving many to speculate more nerve than anything else.
Speaker 2: But what that means.
Speaker 3: We simply don't know a guy who would know how this could affect the potential for a contract negotiation this upcoming off season, joins us now. His name is Andrew Brandt is he has. He's the host of the business sports podcast under DraftKings Network. He's also the author of the Sunday seven newsletter, which you can sign up for on his social media pages IG and Twitter as well, and he joins us now on the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Andrew, before we get to the Niners. The Lions played their starters, played to win, and you've been in with the Packers organization with the Eagles organization. What are your thoughts on the Lions logic behind playing their guys last night in the game that did nothing with them in terms of playoff seating.
Speaker 15: Yeah, good morning, Doug. Always good to be with you. I am not I rebeat, not a believer in playing starters and stars and games like this, and I think you'll see most of the teams agree with that on Sunday this weekend. But Dan Campbell's got his own feelings and that was important to him, maybe a little bit different going into a big game next week rather than a rest for the playoffs. So I'll give him that. Listen, My feeling, Doug is risk reward. It's always comes down to risk reward. What's the risk and the risk is phenomenal. The risk is getting one of your stars got forbid, your quarterback hurt in a meaningless game for the playoffs. What's the reward. I don't get it winning a game that doesn't matter, I guess, But to me, that's not comparable. So I am a total believer in I changed the Herm Edwards line. You don't play to win the end of regular season game. Yeah, you play to win the playoffs game. So it's pretty clear to.
Speaker 3: Me, uh with with Dan Birom, Doug Gottlabis is the dam Show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Doug quick one on that. Sorry we had troubles with my mic here, but just on the on the line sort of thing. Andrew, when you were an executive with the Packers, what happens with bonuses and stuff like that, Like, like, I do you know, how is that reviewed during the week, especially if you are going to be sitting guys and having that discussion. How does that come about? And how do you deal with that as a front office?
Speaker 15: Yeah, Dan, that's a great question, and that is a problem. And when I was with the Packers, we fortunately we're in a lot of those games where the sixteenth game at that time seventeenth game now didn't really matter. So we did sit stars and starters. But I also instituted something contractually with the Packers that a lot of teams use now called per game roster bonuses. So it's a way of getting the player money. But he has to be healthy, that's really all he has to be to be a part of the forty seven man active roster. And yes, this was a problem. Players came up to me after these games. Even one player during a championship NFC Championship game came up to me and said, what am I going to get those bonuses for the sixteenth game? And I had to adjust some contracts in the year the next year because I didn't foresee that problem, And absolutely not did I tell the coaches about it. The coaches and the cap contract guys should not be talking about these things, and I include that with incentive bonuses, whether a guy is close to one thousand yards or close to fifty catches or close to eight sacs. I created a wall. I did not want any coaches knowing about that, because then you could really face the agent and play and saying absolutely not, there was no communication about that, and be honest about it. So that's a great question. That's how I handled it.
Speaker 3: Okay, speaking of contract negotiations, what do you think last night's injury, Again, we have no idea this severity does to the contract negotiatations in brock Party.
Speaker 15: Well, we're going to assume that he's going to be ready to play in twenty twenty five. I mean, this sounds like kind of the injury he had in the championship game. In twenty twenty three, so we're going to assume this is not going to affect his playing in twenty five. Here's the thing. He is going to get a big contract. The question to me is how big? Because the market, as you and I have talked about many times, has gone to the fifties fifty five and then of course the outlier with Prescott at sixty. I just don't see him getting there. Now. Everyone could say, well, why not because he's among those guys and his record, but I just don't see it. And what the leverage the forty nine ers have is that that fourth year? In other words, he's done three years of a seventh round contract, which is peanuts. He's still got a year left on that. Now, are the forty niners going to make him play for a million dollars since fourth year?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 15: But are they going to offer him fifty five million dollars?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 15: So I guess I'm looking at it as party's going to make a decision. Do I play for a million dollars or do I play for a contract averaging pick a number thirty million dollars, thirty five million dollars, forty million dollars? And am I really going to push for fifty million dollars. So that's the leverage the forty nine ers have. It's you got a year left at a million dollars, so you turn down or offer. That's what you're looking at.
Speaker 4: Can they use the elbow injury even if they think everything's going to be fine. Can they use it against him like you would maybe an arbitration in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 15: It's tough, you know, obviously tough to negotiate that way and talk about injuries. But it will be a factor if we're looking at it affecting next season. If this comes back as nerve damage, that can be lingering or whatever the word is into next season. Yes, absolutely, it's like someone coming off a knee injury. You're not going to do a huge contract based on that.
Speaker 2: What do you think Sam Donald's market looks like.
Speaker 15: Different than party because of what I just said. He's a free agent. He's a free agent, so there's no extra year that they can negotiate off like the forty nine ers can. So now we're talking a different market and just forget about numbers. I think Darnold will make more than perty because of contract status. Yeah, the Vikings will try to sign him, but they won't be the only ones. So now you've got leverage, Now you've got teams. Now you've got something that is so rare in the NFL, productive quarterbacks on the market. When does that happen? Never? So I think his market is strong, extremely strong. And this idea of trading JJ McCarthy's you don't trade a number one pick that hasn't played. That won't happen. But if the Vikings retain him, it's then it's the discussion, the discussion we had in Green Bay for every you know, for for Rogers and for love, Like, what's the time If you're JJ McCarthy's agent, are you are you going to accept two years guaranteed for Donald? You don't have anything to say about it, but are you going to accept three years guaranteed for Donald? That's a long time. That would be four years of waiting. So we'll see what happens. They've got to deal with a lot in Minnesota once they get past the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Kind of on the flip side of things, I know it's only two years in, but there's not a lot of good coming from Indianapolis with someone like Anthony Richardson But again, when you're drafting a player like that, you and the limited experience he had coming into the NFL, what sort of window do you give a quarterback like that? If you're Indianapolis, especially if your backup plan right now is in aging Joe Flacco, who's on the couch for most of last season, what do you do if you're the Colts in your young quarterback.
Speaker 15: Well, you don't cut them, you don't trade them, but you do have a better backup plan than what you just talked about on the couch. You have a serious backup plan. You have a serious player that can come in there. And I don't know who that is. That's a long way off. But you're not talking about a stop gap anymore in a place like Indianapolis. You're not talking about a Flacco type. You're talking about a real option, and you're not giving up on Richardson of course, you know, it's like what I heard about Bryce Young an early part of this year. No, you don't give up on number one picks this early, but you better have an option. No, it's not like in Cleveland as well, and that's a whole other situation. But they're not going into Cleveland next year again with these sort of retread backups anymore, they're going with a real option, so it's going to be interesting with those teams.
Speaker 2: He's the one only Andrew Brandt, of course.
Speaker 3: He's a former executive with the Packers, the host the Business Sports podcast and the DraftKings Network, and the author of these Sunday seven newsletter that you can sign up for on his social media pages. Andrew, Happy New Year to you, Thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 15: Thanks you guys having new year.
Speaker 3: Doug Gottlie Dan Byer in for Dan Dannett's Jay stew I think you had another say what for us?
Speaker 8: I just want to continue our gifts for the listeners throughout the show today. I want to play sound own from the Year in Sports in twenty twenty four and.
Speaker 7: It's a bit uh. We like to call this.
Speaker 8: Waiting man, they said, what. I think that's a pretty good intro. In fact, I like it a lot. We might have to institute it on our daily show, The Doug gott Weep Show. So the second bit of sound I want to say, and I don't want to speak for Dan here, but I think it's his favorite from the year. Dan was the one who was watching the off season Hard Knocks up close, and of course this exchange with Joel Shane and John Mara about Saquon Barkley really stood out right.
Speaker 7: What's the latest still.
Speaker 15: On the I just got a text that Chicago's driving the price.
Speaker 10: Up and Philly's out. I don't know if that's true or.
Speaker 7: Not, which I don't know.
Speaker 10: If that, I'll make a couple of calls.
Speaker 15: I don't even know if that's gonna gonna happen, but I.
Speaker 10: Have a tough time sleep.
Speaker 8: And if si Quand goes to philampe the outside of that, as I've told you, just being up.
Speaker 12: I had been around enough players, but he's the most popular player we have by far.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 3: So here's I just again. I mean John Marrow was telling him right there, just get this thing done, right, I mean everyone heard it at the time. Just get this thing done.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 3: You can explain all you want about years and whatever, just get this thing done. And remember Saquon Barkley, who's got a chance to set the all time single season rushing mark.
Speaker 2: He only left for a million dollars more.
Speaker 3: The whole contract is a million dollars more, which signifies two things. One you know, the Giants weren't willing to go, Hey, whatever you do, we'll offer you more money. And then two uh he was it was. It became petty at the end. It became it became an ego thing.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because I I don't it's not the exact opposite, but I look at it from a different angle and I I'm glad we played that sound because it's not the pile on Joe Shane. It's actually to applaud Joe Shane and the entire Giants organization for doing this. And I don't know if the NFL forced him to do it, but I don't know if a team will ever do it again. I hope they do. I hope we get access like that because it actually shows what goes on in these scenarios. I would have loved to have heard the conversations of the Atlanta Falcons. And now we look at the quarterback situation and we see Michael Pennix has taken over, But imagine what those conversations would have been. Joe Shane may have been wrong, but I just feel that his handicap was wrong, like in terms of Seguon Barkley, and we've discussed this, and many others have discussed it as well. Seguon Barkley was not going to do what he did in Philadelphia in New York this year. That was not going to happen, and so you have these like sequence of events where then the Giants are like, let's go and get your weapon, Daniel Jones. They get them a leak Neighbors that actually hits. They wanted to go cheap in the running back market. Turns out Tyrone Tracy was pretty good for him. They had a bunch of injuries on the offensive line that they tried to four to five as part of the hard knocks that we found out there were a bunch of pieces they could get. They lost their left tackle Andrew Thomas for the season. So it just didn't work out for the Giants and it very likely could cost them all their jobs. Brian Dable, Joe Shane the whole deal and what was a make or break year. But sometimes those things happen, and I'm so grateful that we got to look at it. So I don't want to make it seem like we're piling on Joe Shane, because it gave us insight into what a general manager actually has to decide.
Speaker 3: And to add on to that is, let's also be honest, it looks really bad right now. There's just no you know, I mean, the Raiders have a running back who's you know, Tom Telesco gets that job late. And the Raiders had already kind of been a dude a running back who's having a heck of a year in Green Bay. The Packers had Aaron Jones who's having a heck of a year in Minnesota, and of course saque Barker. And this was all the talk of last year leading up to the season. But remember the fight, from these general managers' perspective and from the league's perspective.
Speaker 2: Was not over one year.
Speaker 3: It was all of these guys wanted essentially three years guaranteed, and the likelihood that they're anywhere near as productive in year two and year three is minimal. It just is that was the real that's the real gamble here. There was never and this is what I hate about headlines and some reporting in our business, which is they you either want or don't want somebody. The Giants wanted Saquon Barkley, they just never wanted to give him a three year guaranteed deal just didn't because he's been injured a lot, you know, So I just I Let's let's see how it ultimately plays out. But right now, yes, it looks like words that end up causing you to get fired because of this one decision