Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central show.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: It's The Daily.
Speaker 2: Show with your home Michael Costam, Welcome to The Daily Show.
Speaker 3: I'm Michael Costo. We've got so much to talk about tonight. Jd Vance won the VP debate. Tim Walls also won the VP debate and Triumph the insult comic dog poops on the Spin Room. So let's get into it. Indecision twenty twenty four. Let's kick things off with the big Vice presidential debate, the only time these candidates will face off well in the United States. The European tour is kicking off next week. But for those of us who found it very exciting, there actually was one particular moment that everyone is talking about today and what was the Knight's most contentious exchange. Vans refuse to acknowledge that Donald Trump lost the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 1: I would just ask that did he lose the twenty twenty election?
Speaker 3: Tim, I'm focused on the future. I'm focused on the future. I didn't know you could answer questions with that. You know, next time my wife asked me why I forgot to pick up the kids. I'll say, hey, hey, hey, hey, I'm focused on the future. Where are the kids now? Or how about the next time I get pulled over? Do you know how fast you are going? I know how fast I am going zero miles per hour. That's got to count for something, officer. But I appreciate JD. Vancy. He's not focused on Trump trying to steal the last election. He's focused on Trump trying to steal the next election. And honestly, that is progress. But of course it's not just the debate that matters, because, yeah, some people form their opinion by watching it as it happens, but a lot more people form their opinion by watching other people's opinions. You know how you go to a fancy restaurant that took months to get reservations. It's so expensive, and at the end you're thinking that wasn't very good, But then the people at your table are like, that was the best meal ever had, And then you're like, you know, it was pretty good. Maybe putting cannellini beans and ice cream wasn't disgusting. And that's why both parties put so much effort into spinning the debate results because it's effective. So let's get to the real debate, the one between the pundits. Starting with the Conservatives, they thought jd Vance did a great job, so they were very happy to spike the ball. It was quite obvious that jd Vance won the debate. To that, I'm incredibly proud of jd had a fantastic performance. The future of the Republican Party is jd Vance wiped the floor with two Walls. I don't think he could have done better under the circumstances. Ten out of ten for jd Vance. It was a masterclass.
Speaker 4: He looked humble, he looked earnest, sharp, twenty years younger than Walls.
Speaker 3: He looked beautiful tonight. Yeah, as a longtime political expert, my analysis on jd Vance your beautiful. You're beautiful. It's true. But yeah, it seemed like Jady Vance made his party proud last night. And I'm sure nobody was more proud than the big guy himself, Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Christ an interesting little side note. At ten two pm Eastern time, Donald Trump, this is in the middle of the debate, tweeted about the death of baseball great Pete Rose.
Speaker 3: The Great Pete Rose just died.
Speaker 5: He was one of the most magnificent baseball players ever to play the game. He paid the pro Major League Baseball should have allowed him into the Hall of Fame many years ago. Do it now, before his funeral.
Speaker 3: Do it before the funeral. You don't have to bring the body to the Hall of Fame to swear them in. Look, I want a rag on Trump. But this is why he's so relatable, even when it's his vice president. He can't watch the VP debate without looking at his phone, like, let me see what's on ESPN. Now that tweet may seem unrelated to the debate, but Pete Rose was a beloved figure who played for Cincinnati, which is in Ohio, which is next to several Swing states. So the calculus here is actually, I'm just kidding. He was bored as shit, all right. So and seeing this tweet, it must have been rough for JD. Vance. Think about it. It's like hitting a home run or your little league game and looking to the stands to see your dad's proud, smiling face and realizing he's at home tweeting about the death of Pete Rose. So that was the conservative reaction. On the liberal side, they kind of knew Tim Walls didn't crush it, so they were focused on subtly undermining jd Vance's performance. See if you can pick it up, one of these candidates is much slicker than the other. Jd Vance was very slick. He is much more apology slicked.
Speaker 6: I've never seen someone so slick and smooth and not directly answering questions.
Speaker 3: He talks a good game. You know, he was slick witted.
Speaker 7: He was good.
Speaker 1: I mean he was too slick, maybe a slick debater.
Speaker 3: He looked in shifty, he looked slick. Yes, he was slick, slick, slick slick. Thank god we have all these sharp political pundits to give us a broad array of opinions. They called him slick so much that I couldn't tell if Tim Walls was debating jd Vance or Moo dang. Now that's a wet hippo. I don't think that sentence has ever been said on late night television, wondering what they meant by slick slick, as liberals speak for, he was good and we're mad about it. It's such a backhead and compliment. If you look up slick in the dictionary, it says smart, but in a bad Italian American kind of way. Well, like, it doesn't really matter who the pundits think won the debate. The only thing that matters is whether the debate will have any effect on the election, and on that point, voters are answering with a resounding nope. In a new CBS News poll, forty two percent said Vance one versus forty one percent for Walls. The rest said it was a tie.
Speaker 8: Look at the CNN polling, it's very evenly split for Dvance fifty one percent and Walls forty nine percent.
Speaker 3: Great, the entire debate was pointless and irrelevant, So in a way, it really did prepare them to be vice president. For for more, for more on the debate, and it's fallout, we go live to the Spin Room with Troy Awada. Troy, can you give us a substantive analysis of the debate and what it revealed about the candidate's actual policies?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 9: No, nobody goes to the Spin Room to talk policy, Michael. That's like going to Coachella to hear music. We go for the drugs policy. Policy is so blurring. It's much more fun to talk about who won and who's the big dumb sucky loser who sucks?
Speaker 3: Okay, but how can you tell who won the debate? That it's so subjective. It's not like there's a points system.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there is my point system.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 9: I give candidates points based on their statements and presentation. It's an objective, dignified series of metrics that I call Troy's sucku Meter.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's a good name, Troy.
Speaker 9: Okay, Well, you can call your point system something dumb, like I don't know Michael's suckometer.
Speaker 3: Fine, okay, So how did the Troy Suckometer rate the candidates?
Speaker 9: Okay, well, let's start with general presentation. Tim Walls had such an honest, sincere look on his face that said America really needs this, and I found that desperate, so I docked him two points for being needy. And then on the other hand, jd. Vance had those like dreamy blue eyes. So that's plus five points, but they're almost like two blue right, It's like like if Chucky came to life and had a lot of opinions about a units, you know, so that's minus three.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, but what about their positions? I'm getting there.
Speaker 9: So at one point, Tim Walls was giving his position on climate change, and while he was droning on about that, I noticed something important his American flag pin. It had some dimension it like, it wasn't just a two D flag. It had a wave to it, a point of view, and I like that. So ten points. Oh and then I also I thought Jade Vance had a very compelling answer about how much Trump saved Obamacare, So plus ten for that as well.
Speaker 3: But no, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Trump tried to kill Obamacare. Jadie Vance was lying.
Speaker 9: Okay, fine, plus nine points whatever. Oh oh, okay, Norah and Margaret looked great up there, classy and demure. They get three points for that, but I'll store them with Wall since they don't have their own score.
Speaker 3: This is so, this is so incredibly unscientific. Are you done? I have one more.
Speaker 9: Walls had a really bad moment where he forgot what month he was in China thirty years ago, so that's minus two points. And then on the other hand, Jadie Vance supports the overthrow of the US government, so that's also minus two points.
Speaker 3: Nor those two can't be equal, Okay, I'm sure the Michael Suckometer will reflect that.
Speaker 9: Okay, but based on my objective analysis, the debate was a tie.
Speaker 3: You did this whole report and you didn't even talk about their stances on childcare, the war in the Middle East, LGBT issues, anything.
Speaker 9: Oh okay, sounds like you actually watched the debate and carefully analyzed it and everything. So that's minus ten billion points for you. I guess you lost the VP debate. Michael, No, I wasn't even in that debate.
Speaker 3: Try a lot, everybody.
Speaker 10: When we come back, we set a special correspond and spin room, so don't go away.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the vala show.
Speaker 3: After debate like the one last night, reporters and politicians gather into the spin room where they try to explain why their candidate one. It's a place of dignity and gravitas. So we sent over a special correspondent to a tent.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the twenty twenty four vice presidential debate. The debate between one man who thinks Trump is a mentally ill fascist psychopath and Tim Wattz.
Speaker 1: It's a great battle between JD.
Speaker 7: Vans and what he'd looked like after four years as Trump's vice president. Tonight marks the third debate of this election that Joe Biden will sleep through. And as you can see, the atmosphere in the spin room is electric. Hiet everyone. The debate is just about to start, and here in the spin room there's a palpable dead silence that one can only compare to the sound Millennia makes when Donald Trump is inside her.
Speaker 9: So there's an application called the CBP one app where you can go on as an illegal mic.
Speaker 1: So that's why the candidates have been quite civil, respectful to each other. Yes more all, Hey, you doing.
Speaker 3: What do you think? So hard?
Speaker 11: It's very substantive substance.
Speaker 7: I know, I'm want to turn to the show about the Menendez Broose guys have much more chemists too.
Speaker 9: For all of us here at CBS News, thank you and good night.
Speaker 7: A lot of people are reacting to the debate. Rachel Maddow said it was a slam dunk for the Democrats, but Mark Robinson said the video was so boring he couldn't even finish.
Speaker 1: I'm here with Illinois government JB. Pritzker.
Speaker 7: Everyone loves Tim Walls, right, He's so cute with his round face.
Speaker 1: He's like a cabbage patch of though, on the one hand, a guy who's got real heart.
Speaker 12: On the other side, you've got a guy who's, frankly, we're concerned might be eating.
Speaker 3: A dog Chark, and so I'm worried about you.
Speaker 7: You think you know what I was concerned about you. I have to be on for a second night.
Speaker 1: He looked at me like I was a chocolate de Claire. I swear to that, says tampon. Tim did oh? I remember he did in the boys room, in the bathroom.
Speaker 12: Why did he do that?
Speaker 1: Here's what really doesn't make no sense.
Speaker 7: If he's okay with putting tampons in a bathroom, what's his big problem with installing a couple of douchebags.
Speaker 1: In the White House?
Speaker 7: Problem with his legendary Seneca and former astronaut Mark Kelly As a former astronaut, do you have any plans to reveal the name of JD Vance's whole planet?
Speaker 3: You know that stuff's classified.
Speaker 5: If he just doesn't try to get caught up in the moment, it's a big moment.
Speaker 7: Something's funny over here. I smelled pills and cocaine. There we go.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting to talk to him.
Speaker 7: Great Senator Katie brit whose post State of the Union speech last January is now considered a Halloween holiday class.
Speaker 1: Don how do you feel about JD.
Speaker 3: Vance?
Speaker 7: Is it hard to see your dad ignoring someone besides you? I guess none of these Republican spin bitches are going to talk to a liberal Daily Show dog, But I do know who they would talk to.
Speaker 1: Get all around. The Holkster's here. Who wants some spin from the Holkster?
Speaker 12: What you're gonna do when JD's mascara one's wild?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 1: What you're gonna do when I ask for a lift home?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 1: How about some busfair?
Speaker 12: Brother? The Holster needs bus fair? Who's that behind me? Is that a Democrat? Oh yeah, Jasmine Crockett.
Speaker 1: She's going down and protect them and day. Brother, you're lucky. I don't throw a punch at you right now, that missus your don't have a.
Speaker 12: Bo The Holkster's here to spin the debate for you.
Speaker 13: I've met Halkogan.
Speaker 3: You're not Halcoker.
Speaker 1: Listen to me, Jake Tapper.
Speaker 12: I didn't spend my career beating up immigrants to let that Kamala take over.
Speaker 1: Do people gotta understand? I know Kamala back.
Speaker 12: When she was Kamala the U gunned and giant triumph triumph to off. I'm not tryingph, I'm van joins here, Oh Van jos hi Van, I'm here to spend.
Speaker 1: Oh it's Jacob, what resname?
Speaker 3: You're weeping?
Speaker 7: Was two men coming together with the inside their differences.
Speaker 1: And focusing on the shoes. Can't I can't hold it together? It was Zovio, Jake, that's not that is not how he cries. Who's got wet? And for me, mom, j Day's little mema?
Speaker 7: That's me I for the mema, djdvans.
Speaker 1: Oh, hi Jake, it's my ma me mem But it spelled my mom. Sorry did you make these? You Jewish people don't know how it's spelled.
Speaker 7: It's okay.
Speaker 3: Why don't you know what makes you think of Hwish things?
Speaker 1: Aren't that bad?
Speaker 7: Jake?
Speaker 1: You don't have to deny it. My boy, My little j Day is the American dream.
Speaker 8: He started out in rural Ohio, and now all the people he grew up with can turn on the TV and say, there's the oldtown boy who's gonna cut off my medicaid.
Speaker 7: Oment's there that I think Waltz sort of let slide and allowed dance.
Speaker 4: To Triumph didn't come over here, Triumph, you want to come. We're live on CNN by Triumph. This is Triumph the insult. So I don't know that you're miked.
Speaker 1: I miked and you're stuck with me.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna make fun of you de Vance's grandmother. But thank you the holster.
Speaker 7: How about the holster and the whole they says Trumph, signing off from the greatest vice president.
Speaker 1: Chose bight in the history for me?
Speaker 3: Poop POPA thank you for when we come back, Jelani Cobb, we'll be joining me on the show.
Speaker 11: Don't go away. Welcome back to the Daughter Show.
Speaker 3: My guest that I is the dean of the Columbia Journalism School and staff writer at The New Yorker who's featured in the new PBS documentary One Person, One Vote. Please welcome back, Jelani Cobb. All right, all right, all right, thank you for coming on, Thank you, thank you for coming on. The Electoral College. How did we get here? Well, okay, so most Americans cast their vote and they think it's for the president. Who are they actually voting for? Where we actually.
Speaker 13: Vote, they're actually voting for a slate of electors. Who are pledged to in turn vote for that particular candidate, and if your candidate wins that state, you will send a slate of electors who will be the people who are responsible for making sure that your person actually achieves the office that they have been elected to.
Speaker 3: Our audience just said, what the.
Speaker 13: We are the only place in the world that has the system. It doesn't make any sense. Nobody else around the world world understands it. Most of us in this country don't understand it. And so it's one of those kind of peculiarities of American politics.
Speaker 3: Why do we have it? What's one of the big reasons we have?
Speaker 13: So one of the reasons that we have, the really fundamental reason we have it, is to balance out the political power of large states in smaller states. Now that's a generic answer. The real answer is that it was a means by which slaveholders would be able to use the bodies of the people they were holding in slavery to count in the census in order to give them additional political power. Because the Constitution also has the three fifths clause, which allows them to count sixty percent of the enslaved population in eighteen sixty, that meant two point four million people who were enslaved were counted in the census when you determined how much congressional representation the South would have. Now, bear in mind, this is a country that owes its existence to a war fought over the idea of no taxation without representation. Slaves cannot vote, but the four million people who are enslaved in the South are counted in part as part of the political system that gives the authority to Southern voters.
Speaker 3: Is contradiction to soft of.
Speaker 13: A word, I think hypocrisy hytography.
Speaker 3: Watching the documentary, hearing you talk about it, I've vaguely remembered some of this, but man, is it powerful to relearn. And besides watching this, how can we relearn this stuff? How should we be approaching voting knowing this? So?
Speaker 13: I mean, one, we should be educated about this. There's a lot of literature on it. I mean, it sounds not that interesting, but when you actually look at the way that the story plays out, it becomes immensely interesting. Direct the biggest political conflicts that we've had in this country's history have been around the electoral college, some of them. Certainly it factors into the politics that lead to the Civil War, it factors into the explosive election of eighteen seventy six. Many of us are old enough to remember all the conflict of the election of two thousand. We saw that electoral college popular vote split in twenty sixteen, and all the attention that we got out of that, And so it really is even though it sounds abstract and complicated and kind of ridiculous, it really is something that has the potential to affect your lives every time you go into the ballot booth and cast that ballot.
Speaker 3: I think the movie did a great job at making me feel like history was affecting me today. Sure, what are the barriers to changing the electoral college? Why don't we or can't we just have a national popular vote?
Speaker 13: Well, there's an attempt to have a national popular vote solve.
Speaker 3: All of our problems right now. Yeah, I realized this's a big burden to put on you. But you know more about it than me and everyone else. I'm you're here.
Speaker 13: There are much smaller political problems that we have not summoned the will to address, or it's just say, much more direct and kind of fundamental problems. We haven't summoned the will to address those things. And so with the electoral college, one of the big barriers is explaining to people why we need to do something about it, because we say, oh, well, this goes back to seventeen eighty seven, and we've had the same system and we've done pretty well in the world since then, and so why would we change, as opposed to saying we might need to avert a potential catastrophe on the horizon because this system has never really served us well.
Speaker 3: The more we know about this country and our government, the better. Rightly the history absolutely right, Okay, good, just I wanted every teacher to hear that, every kid who's like I don't want to go to Civics. I was talking to you backstage, but I was actually watching this and reading more about it. I was actually kind of proud that growing up in an Oarburmissions and I had some understanding of this. But man, we should all have way more understanding of that.
Speaker 13: We should, I mean, because we talked about this. I grew up in New York. Yeah, I went to New York City public schools. I got an excellent education, but we did not get, you know, the particular political implications of the electoral college we weren't taught that. We certainly were not taught that this was rooted in slavery, right in an attempt to use slaves for political leverage. Yeah, and so those are things that if I didn't know it, and many other people didn't know it, it makes it that much difficult, more difficult for us to understand why it's important.
Speaker 3: Now and it's and it's important to understand that. Because it's easy, it makes it easier to make it effect change. If that's one of the foundations for this, I think we all can agree we should be changing that. Let's switch gears. You're the dean of the Columbia Journalism School. What is the average American not understand about news? Trustworthy news? Trustworthy journalism?
Speaker 13: I think that because people don't understand the process and the methodology of reporting in journalism, it's easy to believe that we just kind of go back to our cubicles and make stuff up, or that we walk into the room and we say, like, uh, who do we do we want to win the debate? Well, we decide to advance one the debate. Okay, that's what we're going to go with. But really there's a lot of work that goes into everything that we do. That it requires a great deal of skill and craft to be able to go into an environment that you may or may not be familiar with, to find out what's going on, to interview people who may be reluctant to talk to you, to get facts, and then turn those facts into something that people can consume. You have editors, you have fact checkers, you have copy editors. That we really do work very hard at producing the information that we have and that there is a difference between the information that you can get from a vetted, qualified source and what you may get from just a random guy's YouTube station.
Speaker 3: And so you know, you've got a lot of YouTubers in the audience. No offense, you know, I would assume, because this is how it works with jokes on a comedy show, is that if some you sometimes go down a path and if things aren't checking out, you can't write the story. Yep, that's also part of it. That's absolutely killing stories.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there's not a one to one ratio between and that's one of the reasons why reporting and journalism is so expensive. You can spend three months on a story and then come to conclusion that there's nothing there. Now you have learned something. So you know, I know people who have done stories where they thought that an elected official was corrupt and you spend a whole lot of time and then you say, no, no, guys, not corrupt. You can't do a story saying news flash, you know, Congressman Johnson is not on the take. You know, that's not a news story, but it is important information that you've learned, you know, in the course of doing that. And so you keep doing that, and who knows what the ratio is for, you know, when you get to an actual story.
Speaker 3: So what do you tell your students who a lot of people, especially young people, but a lot of people are getting their news from YouTube, are getting their news from TikTok. This is not These aren't vetted sources. These aren't fact I mean, what do you tell them to? Where do they where should they get their news?
Speaker 13: Well, I mean I think that it's healthy to have a really kind of diversified news diet, you know, and if you.
Speaker 3: Were like that, yeah, versified news diet, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: So you want to I have another one, say news organizations. We have a health food store surrounded by fast food joints. Correct, you know, and we're trying to actually get people to have the more healthy diet. Now, you can certainly go to your YouTube guy for opinion, right, Oh, you can go to these other places, but we should also say that, you know, maybe you go to you know, a public news station, Maybe you go to a nonprofit news outlet. Maybe you go to a legacy organization. Uh, maybe you go to some podcasts. You got to mix these things up, and you should be taking in information from lots of different places and coming to your own conclusion.
Speaker 3: I love the analogy of a diet of we have health food, we have junk food, we have healthy news, we have junk news. But the problem is this country and its diet. Yeah, so I'm worried that people. I mean, look, I scroll on TikTok and I feel my brain begin to rot. And then I choose to read an article in New Yorker and I feel my brain, you know, trying to absorb more information. So I know what's good for me. But am I doing it well? The other part? Am I doing it?
Speaker 8: Joel?
Speaker 3: No, it's like it's hard, it's harder to do the right thing.
Speaker 13: It is, but also I think it's important for us to be on TikTok too. You know, maybe like that, maybe we bring health food to your door, so you know, we meet you where you are.
Speaker 3: What is good in the news right now, not necessarily the stories, but in the idea of journalism and news. What is a positive that you see?
Speaker 13: You know, a real positive is that we have lots of people who each day, despite all the difficulties, despite all the discouragement, and you know, even some of the distrust, we have people who every day wake up and go out and report. And we have a dedicated core of journalists in this country, people who even believe that the public's perception, the public being informed is more important than their own safety. And that's something that I never take for granted.
Speaker 1: That's and thank god we have those job.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for something with us. One Person, one Vote is now available to stream on the PBS app Jalani cop Everybody, We're gonna take a quick break. That's ourselves for tonight. But before we go, World Central Kitchen is on the ground in North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia, providing meals to communities impacted by Hurricane Helene. If you can please support this amazing organization by going to the link below. Now Here it is your moment of zen.
Speaker 5: Just me was I found out they let Hannity in, and they were about to let the dog Puppet in and they hadn't let me in.
Speaker 3: I'm going come on, guys, and.
Speaker 9: Dog Puppet was advocating the Daily Show.
Speaker 11: Dog Puppet was advocating for the Santa Claire if you.
Speaker 8: Let up, Well, the dog Puppet actually said Claire should go in before the dog Puppet night.
Speaker 5: So thank you for that.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 1: Plus Paramount Podcasts