Speaker 1: Hi, Catherine, Hi, Chelsea, Hi, Hi everybody. I just we're in LA with the fires, and.
Speaker 2: You flew back just in time for this. In fact, I flew back just in time for the fires.
Speaker 1: I was with my nieces all week in Whistler, and I flew back to host the Critics' Choice Awards, which are being postponed now due to the fires. And we landed and she was like, did you see the fire we flew through? And I was like, one of my nieces and I'm like what, And then I had I didn't have Wi Fi in the flights. I wasn't I was reading and I saw and then I saw my phone and I was like, oh my god. And so I'm at a hotel like everyone else in Los Angeles and Critics Choice Towards. I'm here post phoned obviously. January twenty sixth.
Speaker 3: Okay, I am probably going to turn around and go back to Whistler since this is a disaster, okay, and there's really nothing for me to do here, are you guys?
Speaker 1: We had to evacuate my street, but I don't know what's going on on my street. The pictures in the Palisades are so devastating.
Speaker 2: You'll see one house that's burned, and then the one next to it is fine, and then the one next to that is burnt.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just like it's.
Speaker 2: So random and devastating and all consuming and just really awful.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean yikes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's fires are just the worst thing to watch, you know, like see and how they catch and how they spread. Like the whole Palisades is just fucking destroyed.
Speaker 2: I just got a text from my boss that his house has gone like literally just right now.
Speaker 1: Good God.
Speaker 2: But he and his wife and baby got out yesterday. So yeah, it's like you look for these silver linings. It doesn't make it any less devastating, but there you have it.
Speaker 1: What's the silver lining? Oh that he's just.
Speaker 4: They got out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where's the one?
Speaker 4: I'd like to where can we just like find that?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 1: Well, we have our guest today. We re recorded this a while ago, so this episode is a lot about vaginal wellness for all guess those of you who are listening and who are not impacted by the fires and who want to learn more about your Pikachu, here's an episode for you. Please welcome Low Bosworth.
Speaker 6: Hello, gorgeous gaggle of girls on a couch.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello Bosworth. Hello, Hi, how are you? I'm ready to talk about vaginal wellness. I'm ready to talk about female wellness, vaginal wellness, anal wellness. I mean, if we have anything to cover on that, we want to just be well. We want to be well. And we have you here today to talk about all of the amazing things that you've accomplished with your company.
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you for having me. I don't know if you remember, but I was on your show on E a really long time ago once when I was on the hills, and I was so scared to come on your show because I was so intimidated.
Speaker 1: How was it, How was the experience? Was I nice? Scary?
Speaker 4: It was scariest?
Speaker 1: Book was it? Was I nice to you?
Speaker 6: You were very nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know why people are so intimidated by me. I mean, I do know, but I didn't know for so long what the problem was. I was like, God, everyone would say that to me, like You're so scary, You're so scary, and I'm like, I actually still don't really quite get it. But that's for another time.
Speaker 6: I guess you're a strong, funny woman. And I think people don't want to be don't want them, don't want you to like point out their obvious areas of opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yes, nice, Yes, thank you. You know what, that was probably the most eloquent way you could put it, So thank you for saying it so I didn't have to say it ineloquently. But good to know. And I accept this. I accept this badge of whatever it is because I understand. But I'm glad that I'm getting to see you again anyway. And I was gonna say, had I interviewed you on Chelsea lately? Because I had so many interviews in the span of my career, with all of the talk shows that I've done, that sometimes I meet people and I can't tell, Like I had Christini. I had Christina Ricci on the other week we had her on the podcast, and I was looking at her sitting here, looking at her face, going, I never forget a face, and I'm like, I couldn't remember whether or not I had interviewed her, and I was looking at her face and I'm like, her face is a very unusual, you know, she has a very unique face. And while I was looking at I'm like, I know I haven't seen this face face to face before, you know, And so I was like, oh, and then she said no, I was never on your show. I'm like, okay, that much I know. So anyway, low Bosworth, you obviously people would have become familiar with you a long time ago from a show you were on called The Hills, which was like probably the first reality show really.
Speaker 6: Or Laguna Beach before that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was early Laguna Beach.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you remember that, but that was twenty years ago. We started were it debuted in two thousand and four, which is when I graduated high school and then started college. So yeah, a full twenty years ago Laguna came on the air, and then The Hills followed that. So so it's been a while.
Speaker 1: Listen, you made a career out of being on a reality show that was that wasn't a thing before. I mean, it's a thing now, but you were able to parlay that into something meaningful and great. So fucking good for you, and congratulations.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I've been working on love Wellness for going on nine years now, which is just blows my mind. I don't think I've been able to commit that long to anything in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a long time.
Speaker 6: I'm really passionate about women's wellness. And I started the company out of, you know, really my own need for better products in the healthcare space. And I really, to be honest with you, was determined not to be a reality television personality forever as my byline, and now I realize it probably just will be anyway, so whatever, I've kind of moved past that. But I think coming off that show, I had so much trauma. And I'm sure you talk to a lot of people who are on reality that have such traumatic experience is on it, And for a long time, in the early days of reality, those stories were not really validated. They were pushed to the side. It was like, well, you're famous, so like shut up about your feelings. But now I think there's a better understanding just how like manipulative and terrible those shows can be, you know, in people's psyche. And I started my business really as sort of a second chance in life to be honest with you, Like I had to get away from LA I moved to New York, and I really I really started my life over again.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I had read too that you used sort of like the last bit of your earnings from the show to develop this product line and start the business.
Speaker 4: Right, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: I just want to say that our business is now worth I mean, you guys made it. I think I said one hundred million dollars this year right where it's valuated at one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 6: It's valuated or even that, but I we can't talk. We can't talk about our revenue yet for twenty two twenty four. But we're doing very well.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I just wanted to say it's very successful. So that's thing point we're trying to get across. Yeah, so tell us, Okay, give us your backstory, like what happened, what kind of like what was your issue that led you to discover and launch this kind of brand.
Speaker 6: So I was in a really terribly sad, emotionally abusive romantic relationship, and in that relationship, I was very depressed and very anxious, and I also had a whole host of women's health issues, urinary tract infections, yeast infections, and it was like chronic. I was just always sick. And there was really a tipping point for me though, where I was normal one day and then the next day, I was just not I was like lay on the floor depressed, like go home to my mommy for three months depressed kind of a thing. And I was going to the doctor over and over and over again and trying to advocate for myself and just being told that, you know, here's some prozac, you need to exercise more, drink more water, whatever, the typical medical gas lighting that I think a lot of women experience and have historically experienced in this country for a very long time. It wasn't until I was eighteen months into this health journey of trying to understand why I was okay one day and then so not okay kind of the overnight that my GP finally agreed to just to a blood panel and test my vitamin levels, like the most basic blood test you can do, and it came back as like deficient, deficient, deficient, deficient. It was overwhelming, but it was my very first data point that there was something physiologically wrong with me, and I wasn't making it up because I was being made to feel that I was just making all of this stuff up. And so with that first data point that I was dealing with these vitamin deficiencies, I actually had some information to go on, right, and then I kind of took that information to better doctors that were approaching healthcare from a more holistic point of view, which is I think because coming more popular in our health care system here, but you still have a lot of doctors very focused on their primary area that they focus on. And so I was looking for a gynecologist to say that could help me connect the dots better between vaginal health issues and gut health issues or the brain stuff that I was experiencing, and finally got a healthcare team in place that said, you know, I think that actually all of these things are connected. I think that you have a gut health issue because you are the antibiotic generation. I was born in nineteen eighty six. For every little thing, we took an antibiotics, antibiotics all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We were raised on goldfish crackers from Costco, Like I love a goldfish cracker, and we have messed up gut microbiomes and as a result, we have vitamin deficiencies, we have anxiety and depression because of leaky gut and the connection between the gut and the brain and that blood brain barrier. And then from the gut to the vagina. We have gout dys biosis that results in vaginal health issues. Because the gut microbiome and the vaginal microbiome talk to each other, it's called quorum sensing. The gut bacteria literally tell your vagina bacteria, hey, like, we're in good health here, you should be in good health down there, or the inverse, which is crazy. And so I finally started to understand what was going on in my body. But this was like twenty fifteen. There was still a lot of emerging research on just the gut microbiome coming out, very little on the vaginal microbiome. That took kind of like the course of my business up until this point to get better understanding and research on women's microbiomes, but started to develop products based off of the holistic recommendations of some excellent doctors that were as simple as take a probiotic, use an intimate cleanser without fragrance. And it was these simple solutions that actually really made such a pivotal change in my health and allowed me to get better. And I decided I'm going to launch a business with a focus on these white space innovation types of products for women that really can fundamentally change the game for how we take care of our bodies at an accessible price point in everyday types of stores. Right, And it was twenty sixteen when I launched the company. It was right after the presidential election in twenty sixteen. And yeah, here.
Speaker 2: We are eight years later, many years later, in an interestingly similar place. I am curious about when you talk about leaky gut. So obviously you change the items that you were taking, the probiotics and that sort of thing. Did you do any sort of protocols to address leaky gut or anything like that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, you know, when I was kind of initially going through this discovery, my doctors thought, well, maybe you have some food intolerances things like that, and I certainly do. But I'm also a human and still sometimes eat through those things anyway. And the only way to really find out if you have a food allergy or an intolerance is to do a diet where you eliminate that thing from your diet for a significant period of time. And I did that with gluten. And I was pretty surprised when I reintroduced gluten how how negatively affected I was, because the reality is, if you're eating something that you have an intolerance to every single day over time, your reaction to it is not going to be very big. It's going to be kind of consistent. You kind of get to that like baseline kind of reaction. It's brain fog, it's bloating, whatever. But when I eliminated gluten from my diet and then reintroduced it, I like got vertigo, I got like horribly sick. I was like, oh my gosh, I really have a gluten problem. But yeah, elimination diets are really kind of the gold standard for understanding if you have some kind of foodish How.
Speaker 1: Long do you think it takes, like when you eliminate something like gluten, for you to actually feel the results of that, the impact.
Speaker 6: That it has on your body, the positive benefits. Yeah, I think within a week you probably start to feel the positive benefits of it. If you have a food intolerance to that thing. Do I think you get max benefits in a month? Maybe probably longer than that. I think if you've been eating something you have an intolerance to your entire life, it's going to take a while for your body to heal from all of that inflammation.
Speaker 1: Because I just feel like, is it everyone intolerant of I mean not intolerant, but kind of allergic gluten. Well, because we put of all the shit we put it in and put in this. When I eat bread in other countries, I.
Speaker 4: Don't have the specifically in the US.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, whose body that's along with that?
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, what we use in the US has about like seven or eight times the gluten of the wheat that we evolved eating over ten thousand years, So our body is, oh, really it does. It was It's usually a GMO, and it was made to help feed the world.
Speaker 4: Like the scientists who created it was like, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: It's gonna help feed all these poor serving kids in these countries, and we're eating it here in the US. And that's why you go to like Italy or whatever. Like I don't have any reaction to gluten in Italy or France or any.
Speaker 4: Of those places.
Speaker 2: But here it's like I can eat Italian flower that I'm making here, you know, pasta or bread or whatever.
Speaker 4: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: The second I eat something that's like US bread flour, it's it's over for me.
Speaker 4: In about twenty minutes.
Speaker 6: Speak agriculture for you, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're agrarians over here, Low, we're agrarians. I'm a government official, Yeah, for the agriculture Agricultural Department. Can you imagine so one said you have to get up and speak about that for an hour, I'd be like, you better give me a long hit stat so okay, and so then launching that, because I've tried. I've been in you know where you've tried to launch a business, and I just it is so fucking arduous to get something off the ground that anyone who's been able to do it successfully. I'm just in like awe.
Speaker 6: Of you know, I'm pretty relentless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you sound like you really have your shit together.
Speaker 6: I really love the subject matter like I love biology, I love the human body. I am just fascinated by it. And I think if you get into any business and you really want to be in it for the long haul, you have to really love what you're doing. And I actually gave up the CEO role in my business last March or March of twenty twenty three so that I could focus on innovation, regulatory marketing, the stuff that I'm really really passionate about, because, to be honest with you, like the CEO job is a tough job. I was a CEO for the first seven years of my business and was able to successfully grow and guide that business as a first time founder and CEO to a you know, pretty significant size. I'm so proud of my accomplishment. But to really scale the business to be like a major player in Walmart and in Target, which are our retail partner, you have to have done that before and with success. It's really hard to walk into the room at Walmart, never having ever been there before and say like, trust me and I can deliver products on time, and like I know about all the margins and you know all the coupons and stuff you guys want to do No. No, Like being an owner or an operator of consumer brand means that you really have to have done it before, or you have to be willing to bring on a team that has done it before that can help you. And so that's where I'm really at now in terms of kind of my journey with the business. I don't have to do one on ones anymore, thank god, but I'm still really focused on all the product innovation and really a lot of regulatory work. We sit in a very interesting category in supplements and cosmetics that's not actually regulated by the FDA in terms of like ingredients or safety, really just in terms of claims. And there's like a big consumer misconception that the FDA is all over these products in terms of like safety and stuff, but they're not, and it's really on brands to do the self regulation. So that's one of my kind of missions is to make really clean, you know, efficacious products for women in a category of a lot of frankly just like bullshit, because a lot of brands will just sell you a gummy vitamin and say it works it's going to like solve all your problems when they won't.
Speaker 1: And how are you, as a consumer supposed to know which brands are full of shit and which brands aren't.
Speaker 6: It's so hard, It's it's truly so hard.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm not reading any of these fucking labels, you know what I mean, And I wouldn't even know what to be looking for.
Speaker 6: I just do so much challenge. Yeah, you know, a lot of brands now tout like, oh, like clinically studied ingredients, but like they don't actually have necessarily like the clinically proven amount of that ingredient.
Speaker 2: Air product or the formulation that works best, you know, even like co Q ten is something I started taking recently, and there's like five different kinds and like one is very accessible by your body, and like the rest are not.
Speaker 4: You know, you have to take way more. And it's sort of like on a basis.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, I want to believe that most brands are trying to do right by the consumer. What I will say is that.
Speaker 1: Well, don't assume that because they're not. I mean, I know that's not true.
Speaker 6: I know, but in this category, like, I want to believe that right. I want to believe that if a woman starts a business for women's health in her heart, she has good intentions in mind for her customer base. Yes, I don't think that that is always the case, and I can think of a few examples where that's specifically not the case. But I have to to just to be able to like get up and operate every single day and live in the earth that we're living in and have some hope about the innate goodness in people, you.
Speaker 7: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called love Wellness dot Com for people who want to go and order stuff from her company because I like the idea of having your own health issues and then finding a solution, which is the impetus for starting a company. I think that's a very natural, kind of like linear thing to do. And I think you're right about female founders. I mean, I think for the most part, you know women's it's like it's we we're not handed anything. You have to actually, no, actively go and work probably twice as hard as a man to start a company to get to.
Speaker 6: Cardi B said ten times is hard the other day, and I thought, yes, Cardi B.
Speaker 1: She's always been better at math than I have. So we'll take her. I'll take whatever she says. Yeah. So what's happening with your personal life? You're not married, right?
Speaker 6: I have a fabulous partner, he's great, we live together rightly. Love.
Speaker 1: I love that you don't have kids.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I can tell by the look on someone's face if they have children.
Speaker 6: I look so rested to you.
Speaker 1: Don is glowing.
Speaker 6: I'm kidding. No, we would love to have children, but not not yet. What I want to go back to, well maybe soon but maybe.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Well that's obviously a pregnancy announcement. It's not it's absolutely not leaky gut exactly. I hear a lot about leaky gut, but like what physicality does that take on in your body? Like what happens?
Speaker 4: I might I'll probably let Low take this, but it's a lot of inflammation and other stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, is something actually leaking from your gut?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So like think of it like when you eat food and imagine if in that food there was like some like weird bacteria or something like let's say you eat fish. Okay, I'm giving you like a very like basic example. Let's say that there's some like weird bacteria in the fish that you eat, and because you keep eating foods that are inflammatory to your body, your gut wall lining may have like tiny little gaps in it, right, and that like weird bad thing may be able to get through that gap, get into your blood stream and then go up to your brain and if it's small enough, penetrate the blood brain barrier and theoretically affect your brain health. And so that's like at the macro level the concept of leaky gut.
Speaker 1: You should be on Gray's anatomy. Low, she's very well, seriously, I mean that's actually great. I've been wondering what leaky gut is for a long time. By the way it sounds, I assumed it had something to do with your asshole, like that your asshole, that disaster. You know, it turns into a ship store.
Speaker 6: I mean, it could cause you to have like a lot of diarrhea and stomach upset if you have leaky gut, to be honest with you, because your probably your stomach is probably so inflame from all the weird stuff that your body like doesn't agree with or you're putting in all so.
Speaker 1: But it's just there's a lot of like vaginal health talk that we're having these days. When you know, you'd never think about how healthy your vagina is unless there's something wrong, unless there's an issue. It's not like you're like, oh.
Speaker 6: Well, I always like to tell the team. It's like when you don't notice anything, like, that's the ideal state, right, right, It's like when you don't know what's what's anything amiss, that's like where you want to be. That's the healthy state. What I think is cool about the vagina is that it's actually an immunity organ and very few people know that or think about it that way, but it is right, there's a lot of talk about vaginal pH levels. That's like very like you know that terminology is used a lot. Now. Vaginal pH is acidic because it protects you from overgrowth of bad bacteria or bad yeast or pathogens things like that, because like, guess what the vagina like is the entrance up into your uterus, right, Like it's your fertility kingdom up in there, and so your vagina is protecting you from bad things that come and invade. But the vagina is very smart. The vagina will attack things that are not self, right, like you know, a bad bacteria or you know a bad pathogen that like doesn't come from you, But it will not attack sperm. It knows that sperm is not self, but it knows that it's not bad.
Speaker 4: Is it interesting?
Speaker 6: It's like an organ, but it's a brain. Honestly, she's smart.
Speaker 1: She is. She sounds as smart as an elephant. I mean, how do you know who's welcome and who's not.
Speaker 6: She's smart.
Speaker 1: Although, then if the vagina were that smart, it should know that when they when someone's in danger and the sperm is coming to not let that sperm in. If it were really smart, it would fend off like rapists and you know, all the bad guys sperm.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't that be just yeah, that would do a dreamy a dreamy scenario.
Speaker 2: I think there's some Republican senators who do think that that happens, which is a problem.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, Vagina's only going to get smarter as we move on. Guys, it's evolution. People are getting smarter, not dumber, although some people are really stupid. Yeah, okay, we're going to take a break on that note and get rid of all the stupid people and we'll be right back and we're back with less stupid people and with low bosworth. Okay, we are. We're going to take some questions and some callers lower. Are you ready for some action?
Speaker 6: I'm ready, I'm ready. Yes, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Well, our first question, this one's just an email, so she won't be joining us. But this question comes from Annie. Annie says, Dear Chelsea. I've been a fan and listener from the start. I'm a psychologist who primarily administers intellectual and personality assessments.
Speaker 4: A few years ago.
Speaker 2: I was unfortunately in an abusive relationship and experienced a traumatic brain injury, also known as a TBI. As a result of that injury, I have a diagnosis of aphasia. In my case, it's a wall between my formerly large vocabulary similar to yours, and my ability to access it as necessary during quick communication. My question is, can you give me some of the tips you discuss on the podcast that you use to continually increase your vocabulary? Also any advice on how to manage the anxiety that comes at work and increases the severity of my ability to access my vocabulary forever one of your biggest fans and supporters, Annie.
Speaker 1: First of all, I want to say one thing. Accessing your vocabulary and having a phasia, you have to understand that it's okay not to have to use sophisticated words all the time. It's okay to communicate like your main goal is to relay something a thought or a message or whatever. So just do that in the simplest way without putting pressure on yourself to remember the bigger words to do that that's not necessary right now in the meantime, what you can do, and what I always do is I always have vocab words. I have word of the day dictionary, you know things I get a million words of the day, I always print them out, have them laminated. I collect them, like if I there's twenty new words, I put them out and put them in a laminated sheet and put them in my closet or put them on your fridge, so that you're seeing them every single day. And I guarantee you you will start to imprint new words into your vocabulary, and then you're gonna have a whole new slew of words. And some of those words that you already know will be repeated, but you're cementing them in your brain in a visual way, and that lends itself to memorizing things more easily, even if you are dealing with aphasia.
Speaker 2: Yeah and lo, I know you had a traumatic brain injury a few years ago.
Speaker 6: Is this question calus some tailor for me?
Speaker 1: Yes, well, we do do that.
Speaker 6: I know you're like an English teacher, like posting up your words.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's all I've got.
Speaker 6: I had a traumatic brain injury in twenty nineteen. I was at a restaurant in Manhattan and one of the swinging kitchen doors came off its hinge and fell onto my head. And it was pretty brutal, and I dealt with some loss of vocabulary for a period of time. I think that I have mostly recovered, but sometimes it still happens to me where I can't come up with the word and it's it's really really tough. What I would say is that brain exercises really helped me. Whether it's brain games, it could be as simple as dedicating yourself to twenty minutes of reading a book every single night, just to kind of activate your brain again to be reading and understanding just language in general. But I would give yourself just as much physical rest as you can in the time that you can right really focus on sleep. We know that as women, we need more sleep than men. And one of the things that my doctors recommended for me while I was going through my TBI recovery was to really avoid inflam foods because inflammatory foods can cause even more brain fog, and I think it can probably make the aphasia that she's talking about even worse. I notice for myself when I eat a bunch of gluten, I really struggle with my vocabulary, really struggle to find the words that I'm looking for. And when I eat a cleaner diet that doesn't seem to be as big of a deal for me. I'm also going to go down the peptides Injectavle's rabbit hole right now into something called BP seven one five seven. I take that in PC BPC BPC, thank you BP you see one five seven right? Yeah, And this has actually started to be recommended for people who have brain issues. It is a gastric acid. I think that supposedly can help with like brain lesions and things like that, So I would look into that. It's supposed to be like a crazy like healer type of peptide. It is on I think the list of Worldwide Band substances for doping. So I hope that you're not.
Speaker 1: A can't be a professional athlete and take it, but it can't be a professional athlete and take it, but the general.
Speaker 6: Population can take it and it may.
Speaker 1: Help, and yeah, it may help. And and also that also helps with like physical recovery and injuries, Like I injected into my knee area all the time, especially when I'm skiing, because it helps like kind of heal whatever your issues are. The other thing I wanted to say what Logs touched upon though, is that your diet at the correlation between you put in your body and your mental alacrity is scientifically proven. So like I know, if I'm about to do some event, like if I'm gonna do this podcast, I don't eat before I do that because my mind isn't as sharp. Your mind will always be sharp. When you're a slightly hungry, it'll be sharper. You know, when you're full and you feel tired and you're not digesting things, well, that's when you start to get lazy and you feel less kind of vibrant. So just be mindful of that. And you know, when you eat, don't overeat because that puts you into like then you spike your blood sugar and then you go high and then you crash. So you have to be really mindful of your diet, especially when you're talking about these kinds of issues. It's like we're doctor Phil and doctor Great.
Speaker 8: Great.
Speaker 1: I feel like where you have like a doctor, this is like two doctors. We're like two really medically advanced laymen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, yes, BBC one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So our next question comes from Cynthia, and she will be joining us on the phone here in a moment. She says, Dear Chelsea, I'm a thirty nine year old woman living in Brooklyn, New York. With my beautiful girlfriend of four years now, my fiance. I have a great job. I love my fiancee to pieces. I'm not the most social person and I don't have many friends, if any at all. I consider myself an intelligent person, and I've been in therapy for many years on and off to help me cope with childhood trauma. I think the root of my depression, or maybe the consequence of it, is I have zero motivation. I don't have the willpower to exercise. I have a pretty shitty diet, and I basically just work to come home to do the same cycle the next day. I know that diet and exercise is a huge factor for bettering myself mentally and physically, but I just can't seem to find the energy or motivation to get up and do all the things I probably should to make myself feel better. I used to be on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds, but stopped them on my doctor's advice, because it withered my sex drive down to nothing. I've been off my meds for a couple months now, and I've been feeling the ups and downs of that. I'm consumed with shame and guilt at the fact that I know exactly what I have to do, but the fuck it in my brain is much stronger than any of those thoughts. I've talked to a doctor and they tell me I just need to push myself. But how I've had times in my life where I did have motivation, like in my twenties, and I'd get up an exercise and eat a healthier diet. But I feel like that part of me is just not alive anymore. My fiance also struggles with the same lack of motivation I do, so it seems like we enable each other. How can I spark some much needed motivation. I'm tired of being tired. Cynthia.
Speaker 1: Hi Cynthia, Hlsea Carin Hi.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 1: This is our special guest, Low Bosworth. She's here today. Hi trys Cynthia.
Speaker 6: Who's going to go first?
Speaker 1: Because I have an ada, I think you should go first.
Speaker 6: Okay, Cynthia. Have you ever tried meditation because it because it requires no physical exercise and no dieting. I haven't no, So meditation is really cool because it creates new neural pathways in the brain. And creating new neural pathways in the brain allows you to create new habits, new hobbies, new interests, because I think what you may be experiencing is something that a lot of us are experiencing right now, which is kind of this like freeze mode in reaction to potentially the stress of the times we're living in or whatever.
Speaker 1: It may be.
Speaker 6: Right, I think that there's not a ton of hope right now, and so I think one of the ways to think about from an actual like neurochemical neuroplasticity point of view is how can I create neural pathways to change how my brain is behaving, and then I can change how my body is behaving, right, my behavior can follow. And so I've been doing something called transcendental meditation off and on for almost ten years, and it's a tool in my toolbox that I use when I'm feeling really anxious or really depressed. And after like five or six days between transcendental meditation, I wake up and I actually feel different and I'm actually inspired to like go do things differently in my day. So that would be my immediate go to suggestion. I think outside of just acknowledging that we live in some really weird times, and I think what you are describing is to a certain degree the human condition and we all feel this way from time to time.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, that is good advice, and I always endorse a spouse meditation. But you and your partner are in a like a funk together, so out of love, Like, if you can't do it for yourself, then you need to be doing it for her. You guys have to get on a different fucking program and you have to write down what your goals are. I want you guys to sit down together tonight and write down what you want to be accomplishing in a month. Exercise whyle and diet wise and meditation wise. So now you have like three tasks that you have to be mindful of every single day. And you need to be accountable to each other. And when she's weak, you need to be a little bit stronger. And when she and when you're weak, she's gonna have to pick it up too, because you guys are kind of commiserating together. And until you break this pattern, you're not gonna You're gonna be stuck in this pattern. And you want to be healthy and strong. Yes, when you don't do anything for long periods of time, you become less inclined to want to do those things. But the minute you say, today, we're gonna go for a fifteen minute walk together. Fifteen minutes you can do that together. Yeah, and you're gonna feel the benefit of that when you get back. You might be annoyed and like h but you're just gonna do that every day for one week from now. Fifteen minutes of exercise together. The two of you have to do together if you can, can you yeah, I think we can. Yeah, that's nothing, okay. And then you can download a meditation app, any of them. You can. I do Chopra, which is called Presence. They just change name of it, but start with an app because those are easier. There's ten percent happier. There's head space space. Headspace is really user beginner friendly. Download Headspace. Do that. Headspace is a good And you guys can meditate together. That's an even more powerful vibration to create. It's two people meditating together, two people that love each other, like you're doing this together. This is a team. Now you're on a team with your partner, and you're gonna put fifteen minutes a day towards exercise. You're gonna do five minutes a day to begin with of meditation, and you're gonna be mindful of what you eat. Doesn't mean you have to change your entire life, but just start to make little healthier choices.
Speaker 2: One thing that's really helped me is the addition of healthy choices, especially when you're just starting out. It's like adding in a little fresh fruit, adding in a fresh salad, like something that's really manageable and easy, and like, you start to crave that stuff even more.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, instead of French fries, get a salad instead of whatever, just those things. It doesn't sound appealing, I understand, But once you start to practice these things, you're going to create all of those neural pathways that she's talking about, and you're going to start to crave the goodness and the like. You're going to start to crave to move your body for fifteen minutes. You just have to commit on the lowest level. And then also, I think what you should do is write down at the end of the day, how you felt about all of the stuff you did. How did I feel about the exercise, How did you feel after you exercise good, bad, exhausted, whatever? How did you feel after you made a healthier choice with your food?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: Bad, great, didn't matter to have no impact. Write that down for a week, and I promise you will start to see benefits and you're going to start to feel differently. Your lack of motivation is feeding itself, right, so now you have to feed it something else.
Speaker 4: I have a question for you too. Is there a room for a dog in your life?
Speaker 1: You know right now?
Speaker 9: No, we have a small apartment like super you know, I'm saying, are going to be cool with it, but we are planning to move eventually and definitely want to get a dog.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that is such a helpful tool in getting you to the movement more because you're just like, I'm out with my dog, I'm listening to a podcast. Maybe I'm having a good time. I want to go on extra block.
Speaker 4: Like it just helps so much getting you out and about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and being outdoors at all, whether it's nice, ugly, cold, gray, is good for your system. That's good for your immuniony system, It's good for your energy. Like you have to feed yourself of medicine because you're depriving yourself of all of the things that life has to offer. Everything's here for you, and you're choosing to not you know what I mean, you got to like step it up a little bit. And on the medication front, also, is your sex drive better without the medication? It hasn't.
Speaker 9: I mean it's only been about three months and I'm just like waiting around to see what's gonna happen, and I'm still kind of at a lull.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then maybe you do need the medication. Like with the medication making you not sex too.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that it contributed to me not having any kind of sex drive, and my doctors agreed that that does usually happen on anti anxiety meds or antidepressants of certain kinds.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think what you should do is do this this prescription that I've given you for the next four weeks. Okay, do that and see if your mood changes, and if that at that point it doesn't, I want you to call us back, Okay, But you guys have to do this every day together. You have to commit to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I love what you say about like starting small. I think, like it's not new advice, but it is the best advice, like, because you do get the ball rolling when you start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just got to pick up, like you made this call. You're calling in because you want to change your life. Yeah, and now you have the opportunity to change your life. I just told you the simplest things to do. They're totally accomplishable, regardless of what happens in our atmosphere, what's happening right now, that has no impact, you know what I mean. Just I want you to move forward caring about your body and caring about your partner's body.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to ask, too, are there any supplements that you would recommend as far as sexual wellness and increasing libido or anything like that, especially for women.
Speaker 6: I think, honestly, I think a great multi vitamin is just a good place to start. We make a great one at Love Wellness. Not to toot our own.
Speaker 1: Hornbag, go go to lovewllness dot com and pick up a multi vitamin. That's always good. Everyone needs fucking vitamins.
Speaker 6: There are some libido supplements out there that you can try, but I think just in general, there are some like classic herbs that support women's health that are actually found in our multi vitamin as kind of herbal add ons like Ashwagonda, Chaste tree, Saint John's wort et cetera. But a good multi vitamin can really help with hormone balance, It can help with some of the neurological stuff that you're talking about. Ninety percent of Americans have vitamin deficiencies, most of them are vitamin B and vitamin D, and that can actually lead to a lot of depression and anxiety. I dealt with that myself, So I think, you know, in addition, probably just a routine trip to the doctor, you know, could be in order just to take like a deeper look under the hood. I'm not sure of your age, and I won't ask, but you know, there's even the possibility that you could be experiencing some paramenopause symptoms, which you know, like maybe a factor here. I don't know, but perimenopause can start in women at age thirty five, which is something that is like really not talked about. And so yeah, I think the team here has some really good suggestions. And I think I heard you live in Brooklyn. You probably are doing good things for yourself already and you're just like not noticing it. Like you're a New Yorker. I live in New York too, Like we walk a lot everywhere every single day. You know what I mean. So that first week that you're taking a journal, like write down all the things that you're doing, Like yes, like go above and beyond and take that fifteen minute walk. But I suspect that, like you're already doing some things every year day that you can feel proud about, and you are stuck in kind of this like negative self talk environment. And yeah, I think remembering that you want to do it for your partner and that you love them and that you need to be accountable to them and for them is a really helpful part of it. Also, you know, it's like whenever my boyfriend is having a bad day, like that's when I'm really able to like jump into superhero mode. You know. It's like, oh you need me, I can do that for you.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: And so playing that role for each other I think can be really powerful.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, And it's going to put a pep in your step. I promise you. All of these little micro things are going to add up together and the sum of its parts are going to add to your life.
Speaker 6: Okay, I hope we haven't overwhelmed you. You can do it.
Speaker 9: No, No, it's not overwhelming at all.
Speaker 1: Check in with us again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check in with us and maybe we'll have you up on a couples counseling episode with your partner.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fun. We could do a follow up with your part and see how you guys are after a month. That would be amazing. Yeah, and then we can take it even further.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, Cynthia. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, so much, thank you, Bye bye bye.
Speaker 4: All right. Our next question comes from Aspen.
Speaker 1: Aspin, Colorado. Oh, she lives in North Carolina, but her name is Aspin.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's where she was conceived.
Speaker 2: Who knows, Dear Chelsea, I turned thirty this year, and I've been at my job for ten years. I'm a hairdresser at an amazing salon who supports me in every way possible. The issue I'm facing is I had five and ten year goals and I've mostly hit all of them, even having a whoopsidoodle baby along the way. I can't help but feel that now I'm where I want to be. I'm really restless. I'm very driven, I'm a dream chaser, but I feel like I've fallen into a very uncharacteristic slump. I absolutely adore my job and I do dream of bigger and better things, but I have such a hard time figuring out what the hell that means. Basically, what I'm asking is, have you ever been in a career plettau and how did you get the clarity for your next big dream? Thank you, aspen As.
Speaker 4: You look incredible.
Speaker 8: Thank you. I thought today it was a great day to wear a pink power suit.
Speaker 1: You're correct, excellent, excellent, this is our your outfit, you look great. This is our special guest, Low Bosworth.
Speaker 8: Hi, Hi, I've been a fan for a long time too. This is wild.
Speaker 6: Oh thanks, that's so nice. It's nice to meet you.
Speaker 8: Nice to meet you, too, Low.
Speaker 1: Did you want to go first since you're such a power top. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I think sometimes it's okay to be in a slump. Here's how I think about it. I think that you could go too hard on being so good at stuff and too hard at like doing nothing and being lazy. I think that when I talk about balance, that's what I mean. Like I working on fertility stuff for myself right now. I'm taking so many fucking supplements every night and doing all this stuff. And I decided the other night, like I had it I needed to go out and have a drink, and I realized we're talking about your career and not like your wellness personal life. But I'm just trying to create that parallel, right, is that, like, you can take a break from being a boss bitch if you want to. There is a lot of good in taking a break, in letting it coast, in letting it ride for a little while. You can accomplish a lot of personal goals.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: You can get a lot of sleep, you can drink that cocktail that you're drinking, right. And so I didn't expect this to be the advice that tumbled out of my mouth, especially on this podcast or we're like girls, yeah, entrepreneurs, Yeah, but like my god, it's exhausting to always try to be the best and to always try to do the right thing. And so maybe you take this moment as a time for rest and self reflection and when your body and mind are ready, it will come to you. Perhaps your body and mind are not ready.
Speaker 7: He I mean that definitely all resonates for where it's exhausting always feeling like you have to be the best.
Speaker 8: I mean, I feel like it's helpful in a lot of ways.
Speaker 7: And it's helped me get as far as I have, like having such a high standard, but at the same time, like it's hard to keep that going, you know.
Speaker 1: It's hard to keep that going. And also when you're really good at multiple things in life, there is such truth to what Loja said, like sometimes you have to chill out to let the mood strike you, like when you're in search of the next job, the next project, like that aggressively, sometimes you're kind of almost creating a blockade towards that goal, you know, because you're putting so much pressure on yourself. Like there is something to be said for enjoying the moment that you're in because you're not struggling right now, and you might be in a little bit of a plateau, as you say, but out of plateaus, things rise up, you know what I mean. So enjoy this time because you may not have a quiet time like this moving forward. And I wouldn't put so much pressure on I have to come up with this next thing. What is the next thing? I'm too productive and too smart to not be this productive. That is kind of like, you know, almost a negative self talk cycle as well. So I would say, enjoy the time that you're having, You're in control of your situation. Things seem to be under control, right.
Speaker 7: I'm definitely maybe two in control of my situation sometimes honestly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well tell us about that, I mean expand Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I've always had like a very clear idea since i was really young of exactly what I wanted to do. I went to school for it, I did it. I became really successful at a really young age. I mean I'm only thirty now and I've been at my salon for ten years, which is kind of wild, and I've gotten to the top of the salon and I think, yeah, like I said, I had all those goals. I'm and I was so meticulous about every day, this number I hit every month, this number I hit every year, at this number I hit every like just kind of.
Speaker 8: Obsessed with it. And I've been so obsessed with it.
Speaker 7: I think being control of my own career and my own pathway that now that I've kind of gotten to that, you know, goal that I had. The not having control of it anymore is I think a little bit terrifying because I'm like, wait, now I don't have control of the future, because I don't know what the fuck the future is.
Speaker 1: And do you have anything that you're thinking about doing next.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's what I was saying too, is I absolutely love what I do, but I can't help to like I do still feel like I had this like pit, like this feeling in my stomach of like I'm not fulfilling my full potential, Like I feel like I might have more to offer the world than I'm currently offering it.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, and if that's true, that will come to you in a natural way. I think you sound very controlling, you know what I mean, Like you're you're a control freak of your own life. I mean, who most people are. So that's fine, But I think this is actually a good lesson that you're calling in to talk to us, and we're telling you both to just we're both telling you just to chill out, chill out and like allow ideas to come your way. And I'm sure whatever it is will naturally organically appear in your life once you stop looking so hard for it. It's like trying to find a boyfriend.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, exactly. I mean that's honestly like how I met my husband ten years ago.
Speaker 8: Too. I finally was like fuck it, I'm done dating. I'm just gonna work.
Speaker 7: And then literally three days later he comes to the salon and is like, hey, you marry me?
Speaker 8: And I was like, okay, okay, great.
Speaker 6: It sounds like you have to learn how to sit in your discomfort a little bit. It feels like you're really uncomfortable and you're really trying to get out of that uncomfortable. I don't know what to say in control.
Speaker 1: So if you're trying something uncomfortable, yeah, I mean, what'd you say been?
Speaker 8: They're done that?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, just you got just something to shake shit up. I just love that she's having a cocktail. Okay, Well this is good. What's your takeaway from this call?
Speaker 8: It was definitely really helpful for sure. I mean I think I knew that deep down.
Speaker 7: But it's almost like when you're a little bit of a control freak and like a go getter, you almost need permission from somebody else to do nothing for a minute because it's like.
Speaker 8: You're you never give that permission to yourself.
Speaker 7: So I feel like it's really nice to get permission from women that I really respect to I consider to be go getters as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also like be really proud of yourself for getting this far in your life. You're thirty years old. You've accomplished all of the goals that you had set out, which leads me to believe that you are going to accomplish the next set of goals you set out, and there is no timeframe on those things. So be very proud of your competency and your ability to like follow through on all of these dreams that you've had. Like that is a huge accomplishment, So like we yeah, enjoy that. Go with that for a minute.
Speaker 6: Luxuriate in your accomplishments, like you've earned the right to sit back and take a break, and.
Speaker 1: You're only fucking thirty, Like this is Awesomey, that's so cool.
Speaker 7: You know, I feel like I grew up really fast as I had a kid at twenty one, so it makes you grow up really quickly. But so sometimes I think I feel that I'm older than I am. But yeah, you're right, I am only thirty and I do have lots of time.
Speaker 4: To figure out Yeah, yeah, yeah you will.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for calling in Aspen by as Ben.
Speaker 7: Yes, thank you, Chelsea for all the u I've been a huge fan since I was you know, like fifteen years old watching Chelsea Lately on the couch with my mom at night. So this has been an honor to talk to you. So thank you for being a huge role model to me.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks, thank you, thank you. Bye?
Speaker 4: What is sweetie? So funny?
Speaker 2: Because Cynthia was upset at herself because she didn't have the motivation, and you know, asked me's upset at herself?
Speaker 1: We should combine those two getting together too much motivation?
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's like.
Speaker 1: What's next? I'm like, I take a nap exactly, and nap is so delicious, coun.
Speaker 2: So let's take a quick break and we'll be back with one kind of wild question that we have.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to take a break, and we're back with low Bosworth.
Speaker 2: We are back, and our final question comes from Savannah. She is twenty nine. She writes to your Chelsea, my boyfriend tried to fuck a stripper two weeks ago, and I'm wondering what I should do. I'm leaning toward the idea for giving him, going to couple's therapy and working through it. But part of me can't help but think, what if this is who he is? Are these his true colors? How Can I trust a liar? Do people genuinely make mistakes? Or am I just a sucker? For context, I'm a twenty nine year old girl and my boyfriend is thirty one. He's the absolute love of my life, the most thoughtful, caring, passionate person I've ever known. He truly has a heart of gold. This sounds ridiculous, I know, but it is true. When we first got together, all of his friends warned me not to break his heart. Who knew I would be the one getting screwed? Well, me and at least one other person. We were close friends for two years before he became a couple, and have been dating for a year and a half and we lived together. Here's my problem. It's not so much the stripper, it is the lying, the deception. I feel tricked, betrayed, bamboozled, you get it. He went out of town, a three hour drive away on a work trip and was going to be gone for one, maybe two nights. The second day is wrapping up and he decides to stay another night. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at two am grabbed my phone. To my surprise, he never called or texted, so I facetimed him and he was in an uber acting pretty weird, but it was late and I didn't want to get into it, so I went to bed. When he got home the next day, the vibes were kind of weird, so I asked him what he did that night and told him it was shitty. He was too tired to drive, but went out and partied. The area he was in has a lot of strip clubs, so I asked if he went to a strip club, and he said no. I could tell he was lying, so I reassured him that I wouldn't be mad. I just would like to know the truth. He insists he did not go to a strip club. Doubles down, triples down. So I tell myself I trust him. I have no reason not to. And a week goes by. Then Chelsea, I have a horrible gut feeling.
Speaker 4: All week.
Speaker 2: I can't sleep, and I keep thinking he cheated on me, which is not normal. So I did the thing you're not supposed to do, and I looked at his phone. I went to his deleted text messages. Oh so he was smart enough to delete it, and found that he texted a stripper that night that he was on his work trip. Hey, this is Tony, come to Indigo Hotel.
Speaker 4: I got you.
Speaker 2: I leave at ten am. I feel so heart broken, confused and deceived. Am I a fool for not walking away? Or am I throwing something amazing away for a stupid mistake? Savannah lo, would you like to begin?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: See, this is the thing she says, like, my boyfriend tried to fuck a stripper. But like, who's saying she didn't show up? Nobody's saying she didn't show up. He might have done it.
Speaker 1: Your boyfriend lied to you repeatedly. He chose to stay in a hotel, motel around a bunch of strip clubs instead of coming home to you. That is all the information that you need to know. That's it. No other information is relevant. That's what he chose to do. He's telling you exactly who he is, and that's it. He's a liar. Yeah bye.
Speaker 6: I mean like he spent a lot of time to like plan, prepare, egxecute. This was not off the cuff, right, which means that if you he's done this before, Yeah, Like, it does take a lot of bravery. I think to like go out and to actively cheat on somebody who you love in a lot of ways, Like it takes a lot of balls to actually execute against that plan.
Speaker 1: It's the lying after the facts. Yeah, if there was nothing to hide, he would have just told you, Yeah, I did, I tried to fuck a stripper. I've ever done that before. It's the lying. So it's over. Like, that's not somebody you can trust, and that's not somebody who has your best interest. So that's the that's the news, and I hope that you act on that and instead of finding out about this happening in another six months, right, you.
Speaker 2: Know, there is a question of like is your tolerance level to let him go do these things and like have that kind of relationship and if it is, fine, but like you can't really get past the lying, Like there's no tolerance level for lying.
Speaker 1: I really the lying is I can't deal with any adults who lie. It's it's adults.
Speaker 6: It's too stupid lie are never going to learn how to unlie, you know what I mean. Like, if you're an adult that lies, that's just pattern of behavior. It's who you are, and like you're not going to change.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so Savannah, I think.
Speaker 1: It's over anyways, Savannah, sorry about that, but there's plenty of guys out there that won't lie to you.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Low Buzzworth, how fun was today?
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me? This was a delight.
Speaker 1: I want everyone to know where you can get her products. They are available nationwide at Target, Alta Beauty, Walmart, Amazon, and then at Lovewellness dot com. Yes, and you also wrote a book called Love Yourself Well so that goes into all the science behind all of the gut brain, vagina axis everything we're talking about. And you have a podcast, right and you have a podcast called Gut Feelings.
Speaker 6: Yes, our love on this podcast is coming back next year. We're on a little hiatus right now because we got a lot of work to do, but the podcast will be coming back.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, Okay, Low, thank you so much. Congrats on every you Bye.
Speaker 2: If you'd like advice from Chelsea, shoot us an email at Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail and be sure to include your phone number. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brad Dickert executive producer Catherine law And be sure to check out our merch at Chelseahandler dot com.