Speaker 1: Now really.
Speaker 2: Really now really hello, and welcome to really know really with Jason, Alexander and Peters Hilden, who ask you to please subscribe as swiftly as possible. And swift really is the word of the day, because on this episode we'll be talking about Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: Within hours of its release.
Speaker 2: Taylor Swift's new album just broke multiple streaming records, her era's tour has earned over one billion dollars, and Harvard University is teaching a course on Taylor Swift. Yes, Harvard, that bastion of higher education, has a new course about the art and craft of tea swizzle really no really. In this episode, Jason and Peter engage with Professor Stephanie Burt, who teaches the Swift course at Harvard, to discuss her class and to help take a closer look at the woman, her music, the music industry she has upended, and her rabbit fan the Swifties. Plus you'll hear how your hosts were a tiny little part of the meteoric.
Speaker 3: Rise of Taylor Swift and as a result, how she owes it all to them. Here's season and Peter, now.
Speaker 4: Are you ready to all right? The really you know really.
Speaker 1: The topic today started that Harvard is teaching a course on Taylor Swift. Really it is.
Speaker 5: It's called Taylor Swift and Her World. Now at first and find out why we that course? And at first you go, really, I think it's I think? Second, we went really and I'll tell you why? Yeah?
Speaker 4: How much am I paying Belly for your courses?
Speaker 1: Thank you? How much is Harvard this year? It's sixty eight? And what's on your curriculum this year? The Taylor Swift course?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Right? And what are you gonna up in a little Taylor Swift shop of pooh pooh?
Speaker 5: You sit there and you go, what could this be? But that's why we want to walk class. This is an easy a listen to this description. This is not an easya. This is the course description. The first song on Taylor Swift's first record, released when she was sixteen, pay homage by name to a more established country artist. Today, she's the most recognizable country or formerly country or pop artist in North America, if not the world. Her songwriting takes in a half a dozen genres, and her economic impact changes cities. We will move through Swift's own catalog, including hits, deep cuts, outtakes, re recordings, considering songwriting as its own art, distinct from poems recited or silently read. We will learn how to study fan culture, celebrity culture, adolescence, adulthood and appropriation. How to think about white text Southern texts, Transatlantic texts, and queer subtexts.
Speaker 3: We will learn.
Speaker 4: I'm not done, und We're gonna have to teach you on.
Speaker 5: But I mean, this is, this is, this is.
Speaker 3: I couldn't pass this course.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm doing. I couldn't pass this cool I'm doing. I'm transferring to the minute work course across the whole.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you something. I took a course when I was in college because I was I was a theater major, so I was studying walking and talking and I know, I know my course. He's ridiculous Boston University, Yes, But I decided in my junior year, I'm going to take one course where I can take a course.
Speaker 4: You know where I'm gonna learn.
Speaker 5: But I also wanted it to be something that I knew was gonna be sewing my wheelhouse and I was gonna nail this thing. So I took a course called Arthurian Myth and Legend, never seeing it was a graduate level course. Didn't note that, and I thought, I've seen Camelot. This is gonna be.
Speaker 4: Cake probably cool life.
Speaker 5: Ever day one he hands us the Morte de Arthur in Middle English. That's the first book we're going to read. There were five papers and three books, none of them in standard English. And the man gave me a D for the course. And he said, because he just showed up and I didn't think you would, He said, I should give you a knaugh.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: He said, you have not had not one original thought. You have actually now, I.
Speaker 1: Said, Jason Nina, by the way, let me let me give for people who don't understand Taylor Swift, whether you like her or not or even know much about her, has had such impact on our culture.
Speaker 4: She's won.
Speaker 1: And what's weird is I had a really hard time finding stats because it's like when you're looking at McDonald's, it keeps.
Speaker 4: Changing, the worrying.
Speaker 1: So I think with an asterisk, I think these are the latest, right, Yeah. Fourteen Grammy Awards, including four per Album of the Year, the most one buy an artist, the most one by an artists, Emmy Award, forty American Music Awards, the most one buy an Artist, thirty nine Billboard Music Awards, one hundred and eighteen Guinness World Records, three MTV Music Awards, twelve Country Music Awards, and then Rolling Stones one hundred Great Songwriters, fifty million album sales, one hundred and fifty million single sales as of twenty nineteen, one hundred and fourteen million million units globally, including six seventy eight billion streams as of twenty twenty one, highest grossing female touring act ever with cumulative ticket sale.
Speaker 4: Of one point nine six billion dollars.
Speaker 5: And I just saw and that's none of this is even the most important thing about her, which is the only person to come out of the motion the motion picture Cats unscathed.
Speaker 4: Unscathed, unscathed. That was story.
Speaker 1: We were a little bit because we not having a country act.
Speaker 5: I met her, you know, fortuntiously when when she was quite starting out, but you actually have sat you did.
Speaker 4: Country radio a lot of from the starting every year.
Speaker 1: She came in a lot when we were starting out, and then she went on Brad Paisley's door tour when I got you into direct and that kind of stuff. So she got into a bit of a pickle in Singapore, because she went to Singapore and performed. The other Asian countries were pissed off because Singapore paid her to come, and there's a radius clause, you know, where you can't appear other places you're.
Speaker 4: Going to play.
Speaker 1: So they were so pissed because what she did for the economy there, they say she probably took it up by percentage points. The entire economy in Singapore gross domestic product will probably expand two point nine percent in the three months ending March thirty first, And economists here use her when they make an economic forecast if she's touring, if she's touring, because she's that impactful and employs that many people when she shares the time.
Speaker 5: I mean I haven't tucked to her obviously in many, many years, but anecdotally lovely only men.
Speaker 1: It seems to be really lovely. No one could have predicted that she would be what she is.
Speaker 5: Well, I no one could have predicted. I gotta tell you, well, you and I had the same experience of her. So when we were at when we were shooting Brad's video that she made an appearance in, we sat and watched the concert that night, and she was the opening act and she comes out to a crowd that wasn't there for her necessarily. She's seventeen. I think at the time she's out there with a guitar. I think she had a couple of band members. She's got the bracelets on the Friendship bracelet. It was like she was performing in her living room. She was so comfortable that people that really were you know, sometimes with an opening act, they don't even stop. If you're in the audience, they don't even stop talking. You just deal with what you're with. Within a song or two, the whole audience is looking at her, and by the end of this thing, they're like, no, do another number doing But.
Speaker 1: That said, but to transcend to become one of the biggest starts, if not the biggest star in country music, and then go, you know what, I'm going to transcend that. Yeah, go and not alienate that on his keep them.
Speaker 5: And then somebody said, not like put a tone into epping out on your next album.
Speaker 4: Just the thing done.
Speaker 5: My next album is pop, all of it pop.
Speaker 1: And managed not to only neate the country on it, which is very special. So it's going to be fascinating for profess. Here's what we know before we even go in. She's smarter than us. Oh that was she was smarter than us at fourteen or sixteen or seventeen.
Speaker 5: So so let's say hello, this remarkable professor.
Speaker 4: Good to have you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Thank you so much for coming on. I really are already doing the name of our show. This is a professor remote, a professor Stephanie Birt from Harvard.
Speaker 4: Have a pleasure to have you on. Nice to see you.
Speaker 6: I'm not happy to be here.
Speaker 1: So the Taylor Swift course, how how did that happen?
Speaker 4: And if Jason jameson, how.
Speaker 5: Did I would love because you know, Peter and I have to pitch projects for a living. I would love to understand the pitch meeting. If there was such a thing where you went to the administration and went I got one. How about a course Taylor Swift? How did you sell that to the powers that be?
Speaker 6: So I didn't really have to This is just an English course. Oh and if you are an English professor and you just want to teach an English course, or a music professor's meaching a music course, I suppose a bio professor and you just want to teach an evolutionary biology course. You just go to your department chair and say can I teach this? And if your chair says yeah, sure, that sounds good, then you can list it and see who shows up.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: Wow, that amount of trust in us, which I hope I haven't betrayed you.
Speaker 5: On the showing up was not an issue once you posted this topic, I would have meagined.
Speaker 6: I did not expect this level of showing up. I've been wanting, you know, songwriting is a literary art form, and it's when I think about a lot, and I've been wanting to teach a course organized around a songwriter for quite some time, But until recently, the songwriters I thought about were people like Scott Miller from Game Theory, whose work I love, but who you're not going to fill room yet with the point is that with Taylor, you've got a great songwriter. You've got a songwriter of genius who I feel like I understand what she's doing well enough to teach it, partly just because I'm so deeply engaged with the words in the melody, and partly because the stuff that I'm not common to teach, which is complicated like jazz harmony, changes. She doesn't do right right like I would need a lot of help teaching a Joni Mitchell course because those courts are weird. Taylor's melodies and textures and words are amazing, and the chords are just they get the job done. They're great, but they're not complex. Someone like me understands them.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 6: And so here's this songwriter who I love where maybe some people would show up, and I did not expect this many people. I talked to my students about it last fall and said, hey, would your friends take a Taylor Swift course? They said, yeah, yeah, our friends would. But I really thought it was going to have like a twenty person who are a thirty person seminar until the media started showing up?
Speaker 5: And how many do you have? How many students are in the course.
Speaker 6: We've got two hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's interesting to me about your course because I mean, I knew Tailor a bit because they did country radio in La So I got the hanger at the beginning, at the beginning of her career, which is pretty fascinating.
Speaker 4: We've talked about that.
Speaker 1: But I got to tell you, I was a little daunted doing this because I'm out of the demo and I didn't think her songwriting was that superior because I don't know. I didn't dive into a songwriting. So I enlisted my son, who writes and does records and stuff, who's in his twenty.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 1: And I asked him a couple of questions before this, and I said to him, first of all, I said, so explain to me. It seems to me like every time she breaks up with a guy, she writes about it, and she's a victim. And my son looks at me and goes, she is. But here's the deal. Victimhood is not buying her. And what she does with the victimhood is she turns it into a win. So she's also like a Marvel superhero. And I looked up this term and if you used or not, and I'm probably mispronouncing it hermaneutic friend or hermanetic.
Speaker 6: Friend, hermitic friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, hermany which means she understands what you're going through and she's going to help you get through it. So my son said, you don't understand there's a power to overcoming stuff.
Speaker 6: That's right, So can.
Speaker 1: You talk to that a little bit about because I would have just said it seems like victim and he looked at me like, no, don't be that simplistic.
Speaker 6: That so well, first, your son is right, Hello, you're sign the second yeah. Hermitic friendship is a term coined by the poet and critic and thinker Alan Grossman, who we lost not that long ago, and his idea was that when you read a poem that really speaks to you, it's not exactly like you're making friends with the person in real life. If you can't, you know, go out for coffee with them, they don't, you can't interact with them in real time. But you have a work literature that speaks to you, that knows what you're going through, that sees you or hears you in some deep way. Hermonuic just means having to do with interpretation. So this is a friend you can interpret, who can interpret you, who's there for you as a work of art. And a lot of Taylor's songs do that. She does write breakup songs. She does write hey, this relationship ended and it ended, perhaps on bad terms, songs about many of her romances. She's also got a couple of songs about relationships that ended on good terms. Taylor Lautner, who's one of her first serious relationships. She writes back to December about what a good boyfriend he was, and she kind of wishes the things it ended differently, and he's great, So it's not like she's always going after her exes. She's also got a ton of songs, some of my favorite songs which are not about dating or erotic relationships at all. One of her great early triumphs is a song called the Best Day, which is mostly about how good a mom her mom is My favorite from the vault tracks on Red is a song called Nothing New, which she it's a duet with Phoebe Bridges, and it's about her fear of losing her relevance, of ceasing to be interesting to the public once she's no longer the next big young thing. Everybody loves an agen, she says in that song. So she has a considerably wider range of topics than just break up her romance and one of the messages that a lot of her songs are sending. Not every great work of art has a message, but she often does. One of her repeated messages is give your heart to a guy. If you want ball for a guy, if you want smooch a guy, if you want sleep with the guy if you want, and you could stay with him or you could not stay with him. But do not make what he thinks of you the measure of your worth. Know that you can survive and you can thrive, and you can be yourself without depending on those men.
Speaker 1: So I also saw that a thing that she uses lex with, I wasn't ware of l a cts, which which is like families have lex And I said to Jason, we've been thirty years, we known each other, so we have shorthand and words that we use that only we know, and that if you come into the family, then you pick them up. And she uses those selectively in her songs, which helps build community. Is that is that do other artists not do? That? Is that unique to her? So so I also saw that a thing that she uses lex with, I wasn't where of l a cts. Is that unique to her?
Speaker 6: So l E I know what an l e K is. It is a term from animal behavior in anthropology, and I know what l e X is. At the dating site, strangely they over she just lesbian animal behavior.
Speaker 1: But I use the term of family act like families have a different dialect.
Speaker 6: Okay, so using the suffets as if it were word, which it is now it is now we're at descriptive linguists here L E c t s is now officially a word. So she has I don't know that she has words that only appear in Taylor songs. She does have a series of references and words and images that have meanings that develop over the course of her career and over the course of an album the way and or even over the course of an individual song, just the way that words and images do in novels and page based poems and movies and so on. You know, an obvious one would be that scarf that is that, you know, the scarf that I left at your sister's house in the song All too Well, where you can kind of track that scarf. And she has what fans call easter eggs, which is to say, both within the songs and in the other things that she does social media posts and interviews and even outfits, where she is is giving hints that fans can interpret about what a song is about, or what's coming next, or what's what's happening. On the one hand, of course, it's a good commercial strategy. It keeps people paying attention in between albums, and why would you not do that if you want to sell albums and you want to keep people going to your concerts. But it's beyond that. It is about giving people a sense of community and a sense that she cares what we think, and a way to meet one another. There are, you know, many many lifelong friendships and probably some romances that form with Swifty communities. The more so because it's such a large fandom and she's also and this is something that she writes songs about. It's something that the great podcaster is Danny and Olivia from the Tay Learning podcast, which I love. It's my favorite Swifty podcast of several. It's something that Danny and Olivia noticed a couple of weeks ago on their show. It's not just that fans have a parasocial relationship with Taylor. We sort of feel like we know her even though we don't. It's that she seems sometimes to have a parasocial relationship with us. She cares what we think. She feels as if she could get to know us, she is reaching out to us, and she has a record of really saying that she cares about how her fans see her, not her peers, not the media, not the celebrity industry, but her fans. And she writes songs about that caring. And you can't prove it sincere You can't prove anything since here unless you're a telepath. But it is an aspect of her as an artist that she cares what we think, and a lot of those Easter eggs and those kind of pieces.
Speaker 4: Of fans as.
Speaker 6: Part of that shown that she.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, this relationship extends to the point where she has invited hundreds of fans to it said, her home, it might have been somewhere else to do listening parties for music that she's thinking of releasing or working on, and that she really does hold the It seems like, and I mean this in a complimentary way, that she has an understanding that part of her life is the music business, but part of her life is just public relations and engagement, and that she is equally good at that part as she is at the music industry, which is a formidable thing to say.
Speaker 6: Well, that's right, there's a couple of things going on here. She has said that if for some reason she were denied a music business career, she would probably be in public relations, in marketing, something that allowed her to extrovert and to use her talent for words, But it also says something that shows up in the actual songs that she writes. She cares how people see her. She cares how strangers see her. She cares how twelve year olds see her, she cares how grown adults see her. She cares how she is perceived in a way that is not necessarily healthy. And if you see if you watch the movie Miss Americana, which of course she had a lot of control over, but one of the things that really comes across on that movie in other interviews is how vulnerable she is to how people see her. That she's sort of one one flop away or one failure to connect away from going back to being the unpopular kid who just needed a lot of parental support when she was thirteen. But Taylor really does seem to need us in order to think well of herself and to have taken what could have been a very dangerous character flaw, and again maybe I'm projecting here, but taking a very dangerous character flaw about caring so much what other people think and how other people react to her and just turned it into not only a songwriting topic, but a strain both as a pr person when she's not making music and as a songwriter and a musician.
Speaker 5: Well, here's a quest. Do you know Stephanie whe whether or not, I don't know why you would know they answer to this, But you know so much about her? Does her business acumen is it really? Is she the source of it? Or she just surrounded by really smart people and she goes, oh, good, idea, let's do that, and then knows how to implement it.
Speaker 6: So I'm going to give you a three part answer. Okay, you ready. First, she does seem to be the first star at this level who's pulled off this kind of thing. But if you look at because I'm I'm I call myself like a recovering indie rocker, like I have a indy girl background. If you look at people coming from sort of the punk world or from the purest folk world, you can find quite a lot of people who become reasonably famous, like kind of make a living and pay the rent, but you can't buy a house with it. Famous owning their career. People like Fugazi owned so stuff. Yeah, yeah, they own I mean they own their stuff and they own their record label, Discord Records that are Washington DC. That's a generation where you just want nothing to do with major labels. You understand people at college radio airplay, they don't Fugazi when they were touring, didn't even pay BMI or ASKAP because it never recovers.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: So there are models for how to be completely independent and own all of your stuff that come from the kind of post punk rock world and from certain parts of not the country world, but like the non commercial folk world. So what Taylor's doing is absolutely new at that level. Second, she does seem to be in charge. She seems to have come to be in charge, having learned it from her parents, especially her father. Of course, both of her parents have a background in financial services. And if you watch the movie Miss Americana, which again she I believe had final control over what went on screen, So who knows what they cut or what she wouldn't let them film. But you can see her speaking in a knowledgeable way with her father, Scott about what's going on on the business side of being Taylor Swift. So I don't know that it's ever been just her alone in the room with spreadsheets, but it does look like she knows enough to read the spreadsheets in the room and never be taken advantage of, and that she was brought up to understand that kind of thing by parents who are not one hundred percent aligned with what she wants to do as an adult, but who really did have her best interests at heart and knew the music business.
Speaker 1: So what do you hope your students come away from this course? Knowing you're a serious critic and reviewer. When I say serious, serious, but with humor and with real insight, and you've written and read and.
Speaker 4: Also produced poetry. What do you hope?
Speaker 1: So what do you hope when this course ends for your students, or what do they tell you they come away with?
Speaker 6: I can tell you what I hope they come away with, which is three things in no order, that all three are equally important. One is I would like them to just have a deeper and more nuanced and more conscious appreciation of what Taylor's doing and why people love it and why you know they love it, and how these works of art that have meant so much as so many people, how these works of art work, and why they work as they do, why they work so well. The second thing that I would like them to have is a toolkit, a bigger toolkit than they came in with, for talking about literature and culture and cultural change. The ability to describe, for example, whiteness as an attribute and to sort of see whiteness where they would just be seeing things as well racially unmarked if they're white. The ability to see, for example, how a costume change affects the way that a song is received. The ability to see what changes when you go from a country demographic to an international pop demographic. And the ability, for example, we read too Well cather novels to think about performance contexts for singers and the genderedness of performance, and to think about, you know, what it means to show your ambition versus to hide your ambition as a character in a novel or as a real person. Just the tools for talking about characters and real people and literature and culture. The third thing I want them to have it is a tailor course. But it's not just a tailor course. We're reading Willo Cathera, we're reading Laara Kashisky more into William Wordsworth, more into Alexander Pope, who we spent most of a class on last week. I love the guy, and one of his great poems has a lot in common with Shake it Off and with parts of Reputation, in that he too is reacting to the haters and defending himself against skeptical friends who are saying, why do you take risks with your reputation? People will think you're a snake. So I want to make some Alexander Pope fans. That's my god.
Speaker 5: I want to be in your course. I got two short questions for you as we wrap up. One is is Taylor aware of your course? And two for those that may not know her work as well, what are like the half dozen songs that people really should know of hers that would give them a sense, a true sense of the talent?
Speaker 6: Okay, I have no idea. If Taylor is aware of the course, obviously, I would love her to be. I hope she approves. I would love to have her come visit, but she's pretty busy. She's got a lot going on at the moment, and I'm not expecting attention from her. But you know, so what songs to start with depends on what you already like. Your entry point to any artist with a substantial body of varied work depends on what you already like. So if you are someone who appreciates acoustic guitar based songs that tell clear stories, start with the song Betty from Folklore, and then maybe go to the short version of All Too Well and then go to long version. If you are someone who wants to hear songs about growing up and songs about being an adult in the world and is tired of breakup songs, you might even be Ace or a Row or someone who just doesn't want to hear about heterosexual dating adventures. You should start with the song The Best Day from Fearless and then listen to the songs Anti Hero and You're on your Own Kid from Midnights, which are some of my favorite songs like I don't date guys, I mean never say never, but I haven't yet. If you were someone who is really into fast guitar music and things that descend from power pop and punk pop, you can't really do better than the paired songs love Story and Forever and Always, which are early pieces of guitar pop about a love affair that goes very right and a love affair that goes very wrong. And if you are someone who likes eighties dance music. If you're someone who really wants to be able to move to something, you honestly can't do much better than the hits from ninety nine, than blank Space and the song twenty two and maybe and I think this is a bit of a sleeper hit. It's something that swifties love, but it's really grown on me and it's got terrific lyrics Wonderland also from a Nat Newty nine.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, professor, thanks for coming on. As long as I'd love to take the qurt.
Speaker 6: You know you can come visit. Just let me know when you're.
Speaker 5: Coming again, you know, if my son's anywhere with no I'm I'm a Boston University guy, so I am in your neck of the woods every now and then. And don't be surprised if I come knocking on your door crossing the Charles River one day.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna love to see you.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Talking about authenticity, you know, listen, I don't know what her life was from birth to seventeen, but from seventeen on it's been a carnival. She is, she is so under a microscope. There is constant scrutiny and I know from the little bit of celebrity that I deal with, she has found a way to face and embrace all of it and retain some kind of authenticity itself. Yeah, it's amazing, but I I just want to finish this up before we go to David by saying, you know, there's many a college course based on the Seinfeld trip. From what I understand is there's sociology or philosophy courses about how not to live life, about ethics and morality and consequence and all kinds of Today.
Speaker 1: We'll take we're we're very speech. I wish I had some of the joy. They're all so negative. They're also negative. Yeah, don't tell me, it's not you, it's me. I invented it's me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was another one.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I wish I had on my fingertips because they're they're all.
Speaker 4: Oh they were They're brilliant. They're brilliant.
Speaker 5: But yes, there's there's many come from a.
Speaker 1: Long history of failure. I'm a failure, my father. All right, let's go to mister David Gougenheim.
Speaker 5: First, David, shake it off, maybe shake it off. Wow, we're getting a lot of swifty boats. There yeaheah, yeah, Actually, you know I am.
Speaker 4: I am a little pathetic.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of her country stuff and a couple of the real breakthrough you know, hits. But I am way behind on all music. I I am way behind on all popular music. I just haven't been downloaded. I mean, you spend your time doing theater, you spend.
Speaker 4: Your you know what it is like.
Speaker 5: I'm not when I'm on the radio, when I'm listening to something I'm sad to say, and I should stop. It's news and information, so music consumption.
Speaker 4: That's just much happier in music. Let me yeah, breakup songs.
Speaker 7: To David do you're you're listening You're not listening to songs when you're on the wheel, when you're doing your your pottery and all that.
Speaker 5: I only have unchained melody on.
Speaker 4: We Gotta do.
Speaker 1: This is a promotional photo where I'm sitting behind Jason with my shirt off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the famous ghost.
Speaker 7: I would say, you know what everyone would be saying, put WHOOPI Goldberg in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well I'm gonna you got a choice.
Speaker 7: You got a choice. Here you could learn about the other Taylor Swift courses available around the country. Or you could see how much of a Swift do you really are? Is it a Taylor Swift song or a sex pistol?
Speaker 3: All right, all right? Number one The Man.
Speaker 5: That is a Taylor Swift song in which she plays a man, and she directed that video as well.
Speaker 4: Oh ver, yes they are.
Speaker 5: And by the way, she's almost she does one of her other attributes. I swear it sounds like I'm sucking up to Taylor Swift. She's a good actress. Man, she plays this man. And I didn't know the first time I saw it that.
Speaker 3: It was her.
Speaker 7: All right out the second song, second song, seventeen.
Speaker 1: It's got to be it's got to be sexrist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would probably say sex bestals.
Speaker 3: That is correct. That is from the never Mind the Bollocks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, slut that is, Oh.
Speaker 4: No, that's got Swift. No Taylor Swift, sex bustiness.
Speaker 3: That is Taylor Swift. Nine Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I remember one thing though I may have, but not sure. The sexpressis put out ten songs. They weren't together, work together a minute, all right, but yess limited limited limited, All.
Speaker 7: Right, next one, next one, But I want you guys come to consent. Okay, we got to do it.
Speaker 6: Clean, all right.
Speaker 3: Next one is a liar liar.
Speaker 4: Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift, you don't have to hit me?
Speaker 5: Incorrect, incorrect again from never Mind the bollocks, all right.
Speaker 3: Next one, No one is innocent.
Speaker 4: They Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: Sure, I don't think to sit that Sextus has strung that many words together.
Speaker 4: The title.
Speaker 3: The Great Rock and Roll Swindle by the Sex wrote songs you know to Wow, all right.
Speaker 7: You're gonna get it, You're gonna, You're gonna.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 7: Last one, this is the maker of Brain Get you belong with me?
Speaker 4: I'm kidding.
Speaker 5: That's Taylor Swift, Windows on my Mind, Sex Bests, Yeah, Brothers of Sure Bert, my Way.
Speaker 4: Love Revolution. Oh fantastic.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, professor Stephanie Bert, Thank you, Peter Tilten, thank you, Producer Laurie, Thank you, producer David. You just banged your knee.
Speaker 4: It like so far, so har I'm going down.
Speaker 5: That's for us, every.
Speaker 4: Thank good.
Speaker 2: Care Now, really that's another episode of Really No really comes to a close. I know you're pining for some fun facts about Taylor Swift we haven't already covered.
Speaker 3: Well, that list is on its way.
Speaker 2: But first let's thank our guest Professor Stephanie Burt. You can hear Professor Burt on the podcast teamupmoves dot com and follow her on x where she is at accommodatingly and.
Speaker 3: As always, we long to hear from you at reallynoreally dot com.
Speaker 2: If you ever really No Really some interesting or mind blowing fact, let us know and if we use.
Speaker 3: It, we will send you a little gift.
Speaker 2: We release new episodes of Really No Really every Tuesday, so make sure to follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or.
Speaker 3: Wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: If you prefer to watch rather than listen, check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so.
Speaker 3: You're updated when we release new episodes.
Speaker 2: Plus, you can follow our adorable clips and comments on Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and threads where we are at Really No Really Podcast and we truly do thank you for listening, subscribing, and sharing our show. And now here's a bunch of swifty facts you may not know. Her full name is Taylor Allison Sweft. Her mom shows Taylor because she wanted a gender neutral name.
Speaker 3: For her daughter.
Speaker 2: The name also came from her parents' love for singer songwriter James Taylor. So it's a beautiful kismet that James and Taylor have dueted twice, on James Taylor's Fire in Rain and on Taylor Swift's Love Story. Taylor grew up on a Christmas tree farm, a fact that inspired one of her songs, Christmas Tree Farm.
Speaker 3: Young Taylor's job on the.
Speaker 2: Farm was to pluck praying mantises off the trees before they were sold. At age twelve, Taylor wrote a three hundred and fifty page novel that has.
Speaker 3: Yet to be published and last.
Speaker 2: Lee Taylor is a voiceover actress who voiced the character of Audrey and the Lorax.
Speaker 3: So Taylor, if you're ever.
Speaker 2: Thinking of dropping this little music side gig you've got going and moving into voiceover full.
Speaker 3: Time, just give me a call.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to share some tips for a small thing Small to you.
Speaker 5: Now, Randy
Speaker 2: Really No Really is production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment.