Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Friday Meet Friday, the final Friday for Seaton o'connery in the building. Your phone calls always welcome. Eight seven to seven three DP Show Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. We let Seaton pick the menu for Meet Friday, and he chose some of our favorites. I love my Kumamoto oysters with a little pesto, mignette, pigs in a blanket for Fritzy, blt with no tea for Paulie, Shirley Temples, smoked Shirley Temples for Marvin, and Seaton said he would like to have the Chipwitch sandwiches as well. All right, eight seven to seven three DP Show, and we'll get to your phone calls. Tyler sitting by to take those phone calls. We'll talk to Rich Eisen a little bit later on as well. Say good morning to those watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, also NBC Sports Network. I mentioned towards the end of last hour, still don't know when the super Bowl is going b but that does affect me because I'm retiring at the super Bowl. I just had a source with the NFL say Commissioner Goodell's goal has always been to have the game moved to the day before President's Day. President's Day in twenty twenty eight will be Monday, February twenty first. I believe they will have the Super Bowl on February twentieth and start a week earlier on the front end in late August early September. Nothing official, that's just from a source. We'll talk to Mike McCarroll. He's written a book about George Steinbrenner and the Yankees. He'll join us coming up a little bit later on this hour. We make way for the Hall of Famer Doc Rivers, the Milwaukee Bucks head coach whose attention is not on me in this show.
Speaker 3: It's on watching The Masters.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: I see what you're doing. You're watching the Masters, aren't you?
Speaker 4: I sure?
Speaker 5: Am? You know that the Master's app is on right now, so I'm watching the feature groups.
Speaker 4: Dan, Dan, I'm talking to you in a while. You know, what's going on with you?
Speaker 2: I kind of status quo, just you know, kind of running out playing out the string here, you know, just the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: When are you retiring?
Speaker 4: Playing out the string here last?
Speaker 3: Okay, who retires? First? Doc?
Speaker 4: Oh man, I got a fill in? What did you say? Twenty eight, twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight February of twenty twenty eight. Well, you still be coaching in the NBA.
Speaker 4: I think there's a very good chance I'm going to beat you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll meet afterwards to have a drink somewhere.
Speaker 3: Is this year last season?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know that, but you know, I'm leaning a lot of different ways, you know, so I don't want to commit to anything.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 5: You know, Dan, it's so tough and you probably have dealt with this. The word retirement means you don't work at all, and I don't think I'm gonna do that. I would drive people nuts if I was at home every day.
Speaker 2: Are you still having fun? This has been a pretty tough, trying year.
Speaker 4: But yeah, this has been a rough year.
Speaker 5: Nothing like you know, if you if you read Cham's article the other day, that that article was so far off base that it was nowhere near like as hectic or what where toxic situation as it as it looks. But it's still losing, Dan, You know, this is my first losing season in twenty seasons. That's the hell of a run. Losing is no fun for anyone. And then the Yannis situation has been really rough for everyone, including the honest. So this has not been a fun year. But every year is not gonna be fun. Then you don't have great years every year, and you just deal with it.
Speaker 4: So I look at it.
Speaker 5: I put it in that compartment and not nearly as bad as made look on the outside.
Speaker 3: What does Giannis want?
Speaker 4: Boy?
Speaker 5: I don't know, uh, And we talk probably more than anyone, you know, Dan. It's a tough one because he has done such a great job here in Milwaukee, right, and yet he still wants to win a title, and clearly we have to do a better job here with our roster to make that even look like a possibility. And if we can't do that, uh, then he's gonna look outward. And so I think that's a twofold answer. I think one. If we had all the pieces here, I have no doubt he'd want to stay here, But we don't, and so that puts him in a tough spot.
Speaker 3: What say do you have in this?
Speaker 5: Not a lot just with him trying to guide him, you know, Uh, we talk a lot about it. I can tell you that.
Speaker 3: And why is these last couple he wanted to play? Correct? Is he he.
Speaker 4: Wanted to play?
Speaker 5: He just hasn't been cleared, you know. And so that's another one where I'm kind of caught the metal. I think, yeah, this was a playoff game, you would play them. But if it wasn't a playoff game, there's no way you would play them. I think that would be the correct answer.
Speaker 2: Talking to Doc Rivers, Hall of Famer, and uh, watching the Masters here, have you played Augusta?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I have.
Speaker 3: Who'd you play?
Speaker 4: Didn't play it? But Jimmy Dunn who was a great guy, and then two other friends.
Speaker 5: Uh, I had a great time, played miserably. You know, Dan, I've been in finals. I've been I've been in so many prestious situations.
Speaker 3: How nervous were you?
Speaker 5: Oh? I got to tell you in the first tea box. I think it was kind of Lisa Rice. I want to say Peyton Manning of all people were coming out and they were you know Peyton, you know, and it was hard for me to put the thing back, Like I'm sitting there likes it's just a golf course, but it's not just the golf course it is.
Speaker 4: It's one amazing place you So, yeah, I was a little nervous.
Speaker 2: I got traded on the first t by my caddy. No, yes, like they were betting on us. And my caddy caddied for Sevy when he won in nineteen eighty and I just remember they swapped bags after my t shot and I said, what happened, and the caddie goes, you just got traded on the first team.
Speaker 5: Well, I can tell you my caddy took a big loss because I hit a huge drive on one, so I did. I ripped it and I saw my caddie give two people high five. That was the only big shot I hit.
Speaker 3: How did you find out about the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting exactly where I was sitting, as a matter of fact, and I get a call from the Hall.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 5: I have my phone block, which I learned to non numbers that aren't stored, and so I didn't answer the phone then, you know, which was hilarious, And I get a text, Hey, Doc, this is Sessions us from a whole Well, we really need you to answer the phone. So I was in the doghouse before I got in the house, you know, and it's a great call day.
Speaker 4: I gotta tell you it's you know, it's funny.
Speaker 5: I get the call and they said, Doc, you're in the hall, and I did, it's not something you worked for, Like you don't work to be in the hall. At least I can tell you I've worked because I love coaching. I love whatever else comes with it. But when I called my brother and he answered the phone and I told him he was golfing, which pissed me off, and he just start crying. And it was like the most emotional thing because my parents are no longer with us, and he just said my two parents' names and start bawling.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: He walked away from the phone.
Speaker 5: Another guy pitched the phone up who I still don't know who that was. And the guy says, hey, Doc, is everything okay?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: And I said, yes, things are good. I'm in the Hall of Fame. So he start whoever the guy was start celebrating to me.
Speaker 4: Uh. So that was my first five minutes in the hall. It was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Now you have your nickname after doctor J.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Could doctor J be part of the induction ceremony.
Speaker 4: That's not a bad call.
Speaker 5: It could be there's other names to uh, you know, pat Riley, Kevin Garnett. So it's so funny, Dan, this are the other things I don't. I've never been in the hall, so I've had twenty people ask me what you're asking me. Who's gonna introduce me? Uh, there's a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: One thing you know with your success, you don't you don't reach success without a lot of people helping you.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: It's really you and a whole team that people don't know. And so anybody I asked would be someone who helped me. Pat Riley was instrumental in me coaching. Kevin Garnett is instrumental me getting my success. Wayne Hembry probably is the most important person in my life. Uh, just because he was guiding me even in college. So there's a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I've been talking about.
Speaker 2: The Rookie of the Year with Konk Nipple is favored over Cooper flag. Just to give you my opinion, I don't think this should be close. I think what Cooper Flagg is doing at nineteen as the guy night in and night out as imposed to Cannipple, who's the third option for a playoff team, wonderful year. But Cooper Flag's nineteen years of age doing some things that we haven't seen since Lebron. Your thoughts on who should be the Rookie of the year, I.
Speaker 5: Tell you, I do think it's close, and I've gone back and forth on it because it's this year probably more than any year than I can remember. It's probably it's almost two categories. Cooper Flag's numbers just scream at you. They really do. Scoring forty, scored fifty, being the point guard, playing.
Speaker 4: A position that he's never played before. Hell that night, and and the.
Speaker 5: Featured guy each night, Like when you play Dallas, you're preparing for Cooper Flag.
Speaker 4: But what what con.
Speaker 5: Has done is, in my opinion, he's changed the the culture of an organization that has had cultural problems with his which his approach, you know, his his play is tough. He's a tough he's a two way player. I've never seen a rookie have an impact on a team as much as he has had, and there's something to be said about that as well. And the reason he doesn't have the numbers is because he is on a good team, you know. So he's sharing the ball with LaMelo Ball and Bridges and everybody else.
Speaker 3: You think he could be a featured guy and score again.
Speaker 5: I think he can score more points if he is on a team was worse. But he's such a team player, he's such a leader, and I do think from a coaching stand point that that means a lot. But you're right, it's it's it's a tough I wish this is the one year. I would be fine if they had co MVPs. Yeah, but if you just go on numbers, which is what you're supposed to do, You're right, it's Cooper flag. If you're going impact, it's con And that's how I look at it.
Speaker 2: Uh, have you had anybody match Kevin Garnet's intensity in your career? No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say intensity.
Speaker 5: Yet I've had some guys, you know, Patrick Beverley was nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so I would throw him out there or bad nuts.
Speaker 4: It depends on the game, you know.
Speaker 5: I joke one night I was very upset at the way Patrick played and uh Pet played and I told him, I said, I'm gonna put you on the all Scared team And he's like, what's that?
Speaker 4: You scared me? Just scare them?
Speaker 5: And I said, I don't know. Which way to go every time I put you in. But that was so dain competitive man like he you know, it's funny. He was a good defender, but he was a great defender because he scared the hell out of the guy who was garden every night.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: And Kevin KG had a lot of that. What I've never had with Kevin. I've never had a leader like Kevin ever. Like Kevin cleaned up the locker room for me every single day. If shoot rounds are bad, Kevin patrolled it.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: I mean, when you've got something like that on your team, it makes coaching a whole lot easier.
Speaker 3: How would he have been as a coach?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'll give you a quick story. He was working with the guy in Boston and I don't want to say his name, but the guy wasn't paying attention to Kevin's you know, Like Kevin threw him out of the gym. Uh, Like, literally threw him out. The guy went to the other basket. Kevin said, no, get out of the gym at last, in like two minutes, and I walked over to Kim. I said, you know, when you're working with a guy, you got to have a little more patience. He was like, no, I don't and so no, that would have been really rough.
Speaker 3: Before we let you go.
Speaker 2: We have Fritzie's impersonation of you, So we thought that Fritzie would be able to congratulate you on going into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Fritzie, I don't want to hear that. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 5: I just want to say it's been a great run as a player, as a coach, an ambassador to the NBA.
Speaker 9: I wish you all the best.
Speaker 4: You deserve everything you get. I'm glad you going into the.
Speaker 9: Hall of My friend congratulates and you.
Speaker 4: Got to give me forty eight.
Speaker 1: You've got to give me forty eight.
Speaker 9: Who was a good cap lousion give me forty eight.
Speaker 4: You know, I need to always talk like that. Frittie.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened.
Speaker 5: Happen you see that play behind me? Yeah it didn't work. That's why I have the voice that I have.
Speaker 3: Oh that was a play you diagrammed. Last game guys running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, congratulations on the hall and whatever you decide here at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: But thank you again for sharing.
Speaker 4: I appreciate good talk to you, good seeing you.
Speaker 3: Thank you about it.
Speaker 2: That's Doc Rivers Hall of Famer, and I go back to when he was playing in Atlanta with Dominique, Kevin Willis, John Contact, John Battle. They had a really good team. They just weren't good enough to beat the Celtic. Well nobody was back then, but they were fun number twenty five. But Doctor J introducing Doc Rivers.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin is Kevin Garnett now in that Larry Bird Michael Jordan category. We're not the same player, but everyone's got a story about him. Yeah, Yeah, that dude was nuts.
Speaker 2: But I've told this story before, and and it was Tim Duncan who said that KG was on an elevator with him and I think it was the All Star week and it was just those two and KG started yelling at him, and it's.
Speaker 3: Just those two. Now, Tim's the one who told me the story.
Speaker 2: They're on the elevator, KG is Yeah, Tim Duncan, and Tim said, I didn't say a word.
Speaker 3: We got to our floor.
Speaker 2: I walked off, He walked off, But he said that that's just Kevin he was. He was always intense, always all right. We'll get to more phone calls. It's a meet Friday. It's the final Friday for seating a lot of people want to call in. Rich Eisen got a hold of me on Tuesday and he said, I'd like to call in and say goodbye to Seaton as well. And I believe Will Ferrell would like to call in. He reached out to me yesterday he said, you got a time slot for me to say goodbye to Seat and I go, well one, So Will Ferrell's going to join us a little bit later on. Yeah, I know, Rich Eisen, Yeah, wow, okay, all right, you're right right day and Will yeah, and Will Ferrell yeah yeah. I mean, I'm not going to tell you the number of people who didn't want to say goodbye to you, but these are the ones who want to say, speaking for themselves, actually yes, all right, Uh so we'll take a break. Mike McCarroll, a great baseball writer columnist, has written a book on George Steinbrenner the Yankees, and uh we'll give him the stage coming up next year, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP. Fox Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a part of it. Just go to YouTube and search Fox.
Speaker 11: Sports Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification and catch all the videos from your favorite shows. Two Pros and a Cup of Joe, Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, Stu GOTTSID Company, Live, Cavino and Rich, he On Couple with Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington, The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon, and The Ben Maller Show Sports Radio on YouTube, subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away.
Speaker 2: I thought Doc Rivers was pretty loose there, pretty wide open, and I said, who's going to retire first?
Speaker 3: Me or you? And he said it was going to be him.
Speaker 2: I would be surprised if he's back next year for a variety of reasons. But he did want to make sure he was on the record of saying Shams had an article that was pretty damning for the Milwaukee Bucks and for Doc losing the locker room, the Yannis situation. But he did say, you know, that's blown out of proportion, But it feels like this is it for Doc Rivers. Mike Viccero, New York Post sports columnist, and he's written another book. It's called The Bosses of the Bronx, The endless drama of the Yankees under the House of Steinbrenner and Mike joins us on the program. So what brought you to this moment where you go, you know what, I got to tell this story, you.
Speaker 12: Know what, Dad, I hear from a lot of younger generation Yankee fans who really don't didn't know George, or if they knew him, they knew the you know, kindly old man who would walk into the Yankee stadium and get ovations, and you know, they don't know and a lot of people of our generation kind of forget that, you know, ten years before that he was walking into the stadium to a lot different reaction every day he went there. And you know, it was a full complete story of who he was, who he became, the good, the bad, everything in between, the crazy, lots of crazy in there, Dan, And you know, I wanted to get that between the covers of a book, and I thought you would be a fun project. And it was a It was a blast to go back especially to the to the older George and the seventies and the eighties and just all the nuttiness and zaniness that went on under him.
Speaker 2: I was there in the early eighties, I was working at CNN in New York, and I just remember that you couldn't walk on the grass at Yankee Stadium if you're a reporter, right, you had to walk on the dirt.
Speaker 3: And I did meet with him. I didn't meet him a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Got to interview him once and I actually sent him a letter to say, hey, thank you for sitting down with me. And he said, I'm a big fan of Ted Turner, who started CNN. Anytime I can help you, you let me know. It wasn't long after that that Billy Martin got fired again, and so I had somebody help me call Steinbrenner's office. I said, Hey, it's Dan Patrick from CNN. Could you ask mister Steinbrenner if I can talk to him. I never heard back from George Steinbrenner, still waiting. He did write me a letter though at CNN. I still have it. I have it framed here. But he did write me a letter and talked about, you know, Ted Turner. So there was always this fear like he I don't know did he want people, did he want media? Did he want players to fear him?
Speaker 9: I think you liked being known the Boss.
Speaker 12: I mean, you know, even before the New York paper has figured out that the Boss was a more headline friendly word than Steinbrenner, he called himself the Boss, you know, and that drove Billy Martin crazy, and he acted it.
Speaker 9: Look, I mean, he liked being in charge of the Yankees.
Speaker 12: That's what appealed to him about, you know, being part of the group that bought the Yankees. He wanted to be the guy in New York with the Yankees, and that's what it was all about. It very imperious, very impetuous, and together those made for some pretty harrowing times for Yankees fans, you know, and certainly in the eighties when they won more games than any other team in the sport and couldn't win a championship because every now and again they go on a losing streak and George would fire somebody or he trade somebody, and that was that, you know, the Yankees themselves just to call it getting George, and that happened a lot in those years.
Speaker 3: But should he be in the whole of fame?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 12: I for a lot of years, Dan, I thought the yantus no, because you know what, two suspensions, has probably won too many to be considered. But you know what his son Hal told me this one time. He said, you know, you can't write a history of baseball without writing a couple of chapters about my father.
Speaker 9: And he's right.
Speaker 12: And the more I considered to say, Pete Rose right, and to me, I think Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame. But I think his plaque should say that had The first half should be you know, got the four thousand hits and did everything he did, and the second half should be why he got in trouble with baseball later on. And I think similarly it's important to do that with Steinbrenner because, look for better or worse, the teams that he owned won seven championships. Every other owner in the Hall combined won nine.
Speaker 9: And yeah, he was.
Speaker 12: Suspending, and I think that's worth The Baseball is a museum, you know, and it's supposed to tell the whole story of baseball, and the important figures in baseball should be on the walls there. And I do think at this point that he should get on. I don't think it's going to happen for a while. He has never really gotten any traction but I think he should.
Speaker 2: What he's called the whole of fame, and he certainly, he certainly was famous. We're talking to Mike mccaro as a new book on the Yankees and George Steinbrenner. It's The Bosses of the Bronx, The Endless Drama, The Yankees Under the House is Steinbrenner. What would you, George think of the Dodgers and their approach to today's game.
Speaker 12: It's a great question because really in his day he was the Dodgers, right. He was a one man model, as a one man corporation. Whoever he wanted to get, he would get. He didn't always overpay for them, which is interesting because he knew he had New York to sell. That's how he sold Reggie Jackson. You know, he offered two million bucks less of all teams, the expos and yet he knew that Reggie would would have the appeal of going to New York and you know, bringing a star with him. As he said, I think he would be certainly challenged by the Dodgers, by the by the Blue Jays. I mean, look by having Steve Cohen in the same town with them. I mean, it's not the same situation as the Dodgers. But he's his own one man corporation, right, his own one man, deep pocketed challenger. And look, when George was coming up and trying to establish the Yankees against the Mets, he was going up against Loreinda de Roulay, who was asking if foul balls can be brought back and washed off so they could use him tomorrow. You know, that's not what Steve Cohen does. Steve Cohen might may be the perfect donor, but he's not going to do that. And that's what Hell is going up against as supposed to to George.
Speaker 2: But I always look back and George starting the Yes Network and the value that that had. And you'll know this better than me, but it felt like he was treating his starting lineup like it was the cast of Friends.
Speaker 3: It was a TV.
Speaker 2: Show, and the amount of money that they were getting and reinvesting. I thought, you know, that was business one oh one. It was a brilliant, brilliant move.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was.
Speaker 12: And look, I mean I think of George's hard of hearts if he could have had the Yes Network and all of that represented back for the teams in the seventies because what he enjoyed about those teams is even as much as they were winning, was the fact that he had guys who would go at him, at them on the back page. I mean, you know, Reggie would fight with him, Billy would certainly fight with them. Thurman lived to fight with him. You know, all those guys lived for that stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 12: You fast forward to the team from the you know, from the late nineties in the early aughts. You know, no one's gonna get into a backpage fight with Bernie Williams and Andy Pennett, you know, I mean, that's just not who they were. They were just guys who won, and they weren't characters. And George George admired characters because he knew that he was his own character. He admitted he was a ham. He knew he probably got in the way too much, and he but but he enjoyed it. Look, he enjoyed being characterized on sim Seinfeld, you know, and actually got a laugh out of the fact that he got bounced the one time they asked him to be a to make a cameo. You know, Larry David just deemed him, he deemed the material unusable.
Speaker 9: He said he was he said he was a terrible actor.
Speaker 12: And I'm not exactly Olivier, but I can tell you he was a terrible actor.
Speaker 9: So he liked all of it.
Speaker 12: And then that was all the stuff that he loved about being, you know, being the owner of the Yankees, even hosting Saturday Live while he was suspended.
Speaker 9: You know, he was bad and people said that he could keep his day job, but at.
Speaker 12: That moment, he didn't have a day job, so so he did that too.
Speaker 2: The Yankees hold on this generation as opposed to previous generations as what well, I think a.
Speaker 12: Lot of his inherited. A lot of it is you know, my father, my grandfather rooted for the Yankees. So that's also what I'm going to do. And look at HAPs it helps that they win every year, win ninety five games every year. They haven't won a championship in seventeen year years, which is you know, really a problem for a lot of Yankees fans and people think they're spoiled, and maybe there's a degree of that, but look, I mean, why are they spoiled because you know, really, in the in the in the corporate mission statement, it's championship or bust, and you know, guess who invented that. That was George Steinbinner and so that was really the gift he handed to his son. I mean sometimes it's a hard gift to accept, but you know, look, I mean they still fill the ballpark. I mean, you're still gonna get a game, you know, a makeup game in July that's gonna get thirty five thousand people. And back when Don Manningly was, you know, the biggest star in New York and one of the biggest stars in New York.
Speaker 9: I mean you can still see the old.
Speaker 12: Video of how empty that place was. So it's really become a different things. A it's an everyday thing that people really care about. And that's why every time the Yankees go on a losing streak, you know, I hear from twenty five people who want, you know, managers fired and players traded because that's what George would do.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: They always ask what would George do? And maybe he would do that?
Speaker 12: And I say, well, maybe, you know, Aaron Moon be the manager, he'd just be on his third ten, you know.
Speaker 2: You know, so yeah, I was there twice when Billy Martin got fired.
Speaker 9: And all you to do is go every a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: How much of a threat is Shoheo Tani to Babe Ruth's legacy in baseball history.
Speaker 12: Look, I mean he can keep pitching at this level for you know, for for five, six, seven years. I mean, I'd love to know what Babe Ruth could have done if he'd stayed with pitching, you know, if he decided to do both things. He just preferred to be a hitter, and so basically he gave up being you know, one of the best pitchers in the game and decided to go fullball bor into you know, into into hitting. If Otani can do that, to mean, that's why, you know, it's it's a it's a weird argument when you ask who's better Otani or Judge, because look, I mean, Judge is phenomenal. You can't say a bad word about his career. But you know, he hasn't struck out anybody. You know, he hasn't done that any career wins and Otani does and he does that at a high level too. It's not like he's a fantastic hitter and he's a you know, situational relief pitcher.
Speaker 9: I mean, this is a this is.
Speaker 12: An ace of a staff potential ace of a staff in addition to being you know, one of the two best hitters in baseball. So yeah, I think he's got you know, he's got some work to do and some time to do it. But you know, he doesn't see it seem to be slowing down at all.
Speaker 9: So why not.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you with this, how would George Steinbrenner do with today's sports culture, with uh, the Internet, everybody social media, with the things?
Speaker 3: You know, how he governed well?
Speaker 12: I would argue that he used the back pages against each other as an early form of social media. You know, He'd called the Deli News, then the Post have to call him back and they and he'd be in the news for a week.
Speaker 9: At a time.
Speaker 12: You know, his his son talks about how you know, he gets mad watching the Yankees lose thoes a shoot at the TV, and.
Speaker 9: His father would do the same thing.
Speaker 12: Only the difference was, you know, he'd call the Deli News and the Post and say, guess what I just did. I just got shot and that's three days, that's been days the headlines and now he wouldn't have to worry about doing that.
Speaker 9: He just go on his phone and do that.
Speaker 12: I believe me, I guarantee you that they'd have to find hide the old man's phone every now and again because he'd be on Twitter and all the other social media's X and everything, you know, all the time.
Speaker 9: I have no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on the book. Thanks for joining us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Mike, Thank you, Dan, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's Mike McCarroll, New York Post sports columnists. The book is The Bosses of the Bronx, The endless drama of the Yankees under the House of Steinbrenner. I hated the Yankees only because of George Steinbrenner and their front office in the PR department. But they were doing their job, like I think, they worked in fear, lived in fear. But I remember the first time I got to Yankee Stadium and I was walking around the batting cage and next thing I know, security guy comes up and he says, hey, get off the grass, and like, I'm half on the grass and half on the dirt around the batting cage and there was somebody up behind home plate during batting practice and they were just looking to see if you were Everybody had to kind of walk in a line. You couldn't be out on the grass, you know, if a ballplayer was out there, you couldn't go out there and say, hey, can I get five minutes?
Speaker 3: Can I talk to you?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 2: You had to wait until they came by. You're standing there on the dirt waiting to talk to somebody.
Speaker 13: Yeah, PAULI, when I was a kid, he was the first owner whose name I knew outside of the town I lived in, the first kind of celebrity owner where you like, there was drama and coverage.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 13: Maybe Al Davis of the Raiders may have been second, but back then you didn't know ownership, and they weren't characters or players in the soap opera.
Speaker 2: He wanted to be famous, he wanted to be known. He wanted you to know that he was running the Yankees. He was the boss. But still he created a sports network and that was different than anybody else, the Yes Network, and then that kind of paved the way for, you know, other teams to have their own sports network and to spend that money. You know, he would get players. The difference is the Yankees would would get players, draft players, and then they would re sign them. They didn't lose them like the Pirates, you know, the Pirates, you know, lose players or some.
Speaker 3: Of these other smaller markets.
Speaker 2: The Yankees would be like, all right, we draft Bernie Williams had fifteen, or we're bringing up Jeter, We're bringing up Posada. Instead of losing them when they get to that point where they're going to make good money, the Yankees were able to keep them in house and reinvest that money. Alrighty coming up? Who had the best week in sports? Rich Eisen will join us. I think Will Ferrell wants to call in as well. In the final hour of the program, Ken in Vegas joins us, Morning, Ken, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: AVP?
Speaker 9: How you doing good?
Speaker 3: Sir good.
Speaker 14: I'm lying here in bed and covering from reconstructive back surgery. The doctor called it the Fritty special. I went from seven foot to five eight. So three things. First off, seeing it's been a wilder advand thanks for giving us listens a Glenson's part of your life in moral words of Johnny Utah from point break, whyakn'ia?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Ken, that's awesome. Cody in Texas's not coming back. Cody in Texas.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dan just wanted to call in and you know, tell Seaton appreciate him. I was trying to think of my favorite Seaton story that actually happened yesterday when James and Jacksonville called in again and Seaton told him that he's still a bad person. I was in tears for that. But man, I mean, Seaton, thank you for everything. Man, been listening to the show since two thousand and eight. They've grown up with you.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 7: Got a chance to meet you in Houston in Vegas for both Super Bowls. Just wanted to tell you, man, you know, congratulations on moving on. And man, there's probably gonna be a little dusty next hour.
Speaker 3: That man, God, thank you, Cody, James and Virginia.
Speaker 15: Oh, thank you taking my call.
Speaker 6: Brother.
Speaker 15: I have to Friday DP done it. So look the commanders big time all the time. Every time you take a breath of can imitate the never duplotat it? You can only hope the contain them. You can't stop him. You can only hope to contain them. Listen, that's questionable. But then again, aren't we all hailing from parts unknown?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 15: Unknown? Wait unknown? He's been playgo in a cheating Oh come.
Speaker 3: On, thank you, thank you, James, thank you lot going on there? Yeah, yeah, going on.
Speaker 2: I wanted to come out in the cape. Yeah after that, like James Brown, watch it. So yeah, how about we take a break. More phone calls coming up. Who had the best week in sports? We'll discuss that on this Meet Friday after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: The like Cherry.
Speaker 16: On top of that self awareness Sunday was him eating my lunch right in front of me, and that's okay, Tod, just go, hey, meet my lunch.
Speaker 1: I tried to put it back.
Speaker 3: If you're taking a few bites.
Speaker 9: He didn't want to fire around.
Speaker 17: I said, all I'll say to you the Christ, what how do I make this better?
Speaker 3: You just made it seem like, hey, but that's good for everybody. It's community.
Speaker 4: Didn't ask, didn't want to make sure.
Speaker 17: I'm like, all right, pizza if everybody just happened to put it by Seten's desk.
Speaker 2: Cool, Uh, let's Meet Friday here and the uh rectech grills are all fired up, uh ribs, wings, brisket, everything gets fired up powered by rectech wood fired grills. They'll be with us in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Learn more at R.
Speaker 2: E C t e Q dot com. You'll be able to see everything on their website there. All right, best week in sports? Tod who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 17: I'm giving it to rookie shortstop Connor Griffin.
Speaker 3: Why you ask, or maybe not asking? That's a nine year extension from.
Speaker 17: The Pirates, reportedly worth one hundred and forty million, and gets a passive aggressive vote of support from their ast Paul Schemes, who said to about Connor, he will be the face of the Pirates for a long time. I love the passive gause. I'm not going to be here, so he'll know the face of the Pirates for a long time, as supposed to me.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: If I'm a Pirate fan, I go, wait a minute, what did he say?
Speaker 2: Skemes is saying, by the way, did you look on Fritzy's computer or Pauli's computer screen?
Speaker 3: I did not. It's on his computer score bards. I'm now I'm still in his last week at sports.
Speaker 2: So all right, PAULI, you're gonna have to adjust your best week in school? All right, satan who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 16: You know it selfishly, I'm just gonna say me because this week has been awesome, so I appreciate everything you guys have put together. The worst week in sports. This is my last one, if you'll indulge me for a second. It is a terrible story. There's a kid named Patrick ajimong Oh. He's from East Hartford, Connecticut. He's like become a local hero. He was a D three soccer player, played his way into D one where he played at Rhode Island, absolutely killed it. Then he was drafted into MLS by Charlotte, absolutely crushing there. Was called into the national team, which is a really really big deal. Really shined there, absolutely rushing it. Then was bought by Derby County is overplaying in the English Championship with his second tier and it was absolutely phenomenal there. And he was a sure thing to be called into the World Cup team for the US men's national team and he just tore his achilles and it is just.
Speaker 15: Man.
Speaker 16: You know, sometimes sports can be so cruel, you know, it can really just be just the cruelest thing to have happened. But you only get you know, some people only this is our only chance in their lifetime is to play in the World Cup in this one shot. And I hope that's not the case for Patrick, But just a devastating injury and a really unfortunate part of what has been just one of the best stories in certainly in US soccer, no.
Speaker 3: Question, Marvin best week in sports.
Speaker 10: Dusty may Head coaching the Michigan Wolverines winning a national title in only his second season in ann Arbor.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, Paulie, I gotta start going first just once.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna go with the Big Ten Conference. Boy, are they on a nice run perception wise, even though they didn't win last night with hockey, but the basketball, the football, and they're great storylines too. Michigan basketball is fresh, Indiana football is fresh. Great three or five months for the Big Ten.
Speaker 3: Well, UCLA part of the Big Ten. Too interesting yet. Moe in Arizona, Hi Mo, welcome back. What do you have?
Speaker 4: Good morning?
Speaker 6: Dan Dennett's man. Shout out to Seton and don't miss you have to endeavors. You kind of remind me of the guy when you know you watch the kid get drafted and watch his whole career and then he moves On. You know something better, So just shout out to you man. Good for you, proud of you. We'll mess you, brother.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Moe. Austin in Virginia.
Speaker 18: Hi Austin, say Dan, I've been meeting a call for a while now to start campaigning for the official return of Flinchball before you guys retire. But today is all about Seton and I agree with the sentiment from all the other callers, but I do just want to add real quick that I was lucky enough to come at the Man Cave a few years ago, and I still remember that the only reason Seton was there that day was because he had left his family traveling somewhere in Europe and come back a week early to be back for the show for that week. It just really meant a lot to me getting to meet him that day. He was so gracious for this time and nice and considerate. I'm super excited to see what this next chapter has to bring, but most importantly, thank you for allowing me to finally meet it again. When I say, suck it back row.
Speaker 3: All right, Austin, Thank you. Thank you. Zach and Knoxville by Zach. What's on your mind today? ADP? Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 19: Y'all missed a perfect opportunity to have bear clause for breakfast in memory of seating Jack Gannet Anne, and I just want to ask him if if he could do a bomb off into the sunset, not a walk off Bomber.
Speaker 8: Just yeah, that's the perfect thing to do.
Speaker 16: Well, it is request day. They you know, they were just in the in the break on TV. They're running like all these videos and stuff, and they had one of us in Los Angeles and Doc Rivers was in studio and I didn't get to see what the clip was, but I looked up and I saw Doc cracking up, and I saw me clearly doing a Steve Bomber impression. They're like, oh god, I did that in front of Doc Rivers.
Speaker 2: Oh that made it even better because Doc can't laugh at his owner at the time, but he's like, okay, all right, right, okay, Tie in Syracuse, Hi, Ty, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey DZ.
Speaker 8: Glad to be back on. Thanks you for taking my call. Just wanted to say a I started watching the show when I was a young lad seeting. I thought the world of you. I thought you were the man I wanted to grow up to be just like you. I can say now that I'm in my early thirties, I'm a little bit chubby, I'm balding. I have ib asked wind up going up to be DoD what I just want to wish you about in this new endeavor.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, ty Wow, complimenting seat and while taking a shot at Frenzy.
Speaker 17: I was very well done by him and very accurate.
Speaker 10: If that's what.
Speaker 17: If he's describing himself and half as accurate as he has, that's he's got this to look forward to.
Speaker 3: What did he say, chubby balding and as ibs.
Speaker 4: I had ib D, I wish I had IBS. The syndrome you can get past.
Speaker 9: The disease part is a little tougher, but good for him.
Speaker 3: Would jump date the poll results seating.
Speaker 16: H Yeah, that's funny, man, that's a tough Let's see we have up there who should be the NBA Rookie of the Year right now. Cooper Flag has about sixty nine percent of that boat.
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought Doc Rivers made a great case. He did. He did.
Speaker 2: He opened my eyes to like what Conker nipples meant to the culture of the hornets.
Speaker 3: Okay, uh, the other pole question. Uh, that's the only one. Oh, that's the only one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I decided to go against the uh uh the part three.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I wasn't bothered by it, but when somebody brought it up to me, I'm like, Okay, Jason Kelsey was there. Okay, final hour, the final, the last hour. This is it, final hour of Seaton O'Connor as a dan Ette.
Speaker 3: Have that for you right after this