Speaker 1: What still at the bottom of the ocean. My worst submersible in history. Uh, there we go. That was That was That was nice. Huh that was good. Respectful of the sea.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's the most submerged submersible in history.
Speaker 1: Look in terms of being submerged. It did its job with a plomp. Yeah, you know, it is under the fucking water as hell. So none of these other submersibles lasted except for maybe the Curse. Yeah, but it's great, the great moments.
Speaker 2: It's like our top twenty submersible in terms of how fucking underwater it is staying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it is super under the goddamn water. Oh Andrew, how are we doing on this glorious week? Uh, you're having a good one to enjoy the Monday.
Speaker 2: You know, good, better than some folks. Let's just say, I guess worse than some other folks.
Speaker 1: Better than some folks. Yeah, yeah, middle Yeah, I'm feeling better than both submersible rich people who love submersibles, and I'm feeling better than many members of the Russian government.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: We had a little break for there to be a mutiny. I'm very happy there was a mutiny in Russia. You know, outside of a variety of geopolitical reasons, primarily because like, how long has it been since we've had a mutiny like in the news, like a real ass mutiny that just doesn't happen often anymore.
Speaker 3: Listen, maybe, listen to me.
Speaker 2: Russian Russian revolutions, robber barons, the nineteenth century into the twentieth centuries, back baby.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, hell yeah, the Titanic's killing people again.
Speaker 3: It's all coming back.
Speaker 1: History never changes, beautiful, beautiful. All we need now is for European powers to get us into a disastrous conflict and forget that machine guns exist where we're kno going to have everything off one by one.
Speaker 3: In that direction. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of easily predictable disasters with a high body count, let's return to the story of Stocked and Rush. Yeah, good, good ship. So in two thousand and nine, are our boy stocked and founded ocean Gate Incorporated, which is both the funniest name he could have possibly picked for a company that was about to become infamous for killing a bunch of rich people. Really, yeah, the the goal, It is quite a choice. Huh, Like, yeah, did you not think about.
Speaker 3: Why? Yeah?
Speaker 1: My guess is because, like you know, it's your gateway to the ocean and to deep sea exploration. But you are around in the nineties, Stockton, like, you know what, we use that word more.
Speaker 2: I mean, the full dame of the company should be ocean gate parentheses gate like a door, not like that kind of gate.
Speaker 1: Never mind, it's going to be fine getting no, no, no, like not like a watergate thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would have called it, yeah, absolutely safe Submersibles Incorporated, but he didn't. So the goal of the company was to deliver manned submersible solutions to the private market. Now, because Stockton did not yet know how to design submarines or submersibles, we are using the word interchangeably as regular people, but they are two different things, right. Submersible needs needs a bigger boat that takes it around to places. A submarine is a boat in and of itself. I think that's more or less accurate. So, since he didn't really know how to make either subs or submersibles, he and his partner bought two functional subs and started kind of like hacking them, which makes sense right. Their goal was like to to have, you know, kind of figure out the basics so that they could eventually build a multi person submersible that could handle four thousand meters.
Speaker 3: Of that he's started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a kit he's kit bashing. He's kit bashing his way to James Cameron's status.
Speaker 3: That's the goal.
Speaker 1: They started with a pair of conventional submersibles, the Cyclops and the Cyclops too. But the Cyclops is the cyclop i. I don't know what the plural of Cyclopses would be. But the two Cyclops submarines couldn't handle the trip that he wanted to make down to where the Titanic is. But having those early submersibles allowed Rush to kind of start building a business. Now that this was not like a money business, right, Rich people don't have to make businesses that make money. As we all learned from Uber, It's okay to be in continually lighting piles of money on fire as long as you're like establishing your place in the market. And so yeah, his kind of plan was basically Netflix. Yeah see Netflix, see most of the companies this outside of Apple and like the modern deck industry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jesus Christ, I know it's it's it's pretty.
Speaker 1: They also, in his attitude Ocean Gate, it would be really funny if Netflix was like you know what, We're going to go down to the to the Titanic. Now everyone who pays seven to ninety nine a month gets a seat in our in our giant death sub.
Speaker 3: But no.
Speaker 1: So his his basic idea is like, I'm going to start taking just rich people on dives, you know, not to the Titanic, but to other you know less deep shipwrecks, and that'll get you know, that'll start building buzz, right, That's kind of a big part of his plan was like getting famous people, taking them down there, trusting that the majesty of the sea and being in a submersible would like make them evangelists for the brand, and that would allow him to get kind of the investment dollars initial eventually that he needed to move on with his more ambitious plan, the titan a submersible made with all the hubris of the Titanic and the size footprint of a Chevy suburban.
Speaker 3: It's awesome, how he was.
Speaker 2: His business plan was like clout is better than physics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, well, because it's one of those things like people are inherently like intense experiences have a mind altering, especially like ones where you're at risk of dying have a kind of mind altering effect.
Speaker 3: Like if you take.
Speaker 1: Somebody to an intense place and they feel like they might die the whole time, and then they don't, they get kind of a high, you know, Like that's why war works the way that it does in a lot of cases. So that was I think that was kind of the idea, is like these people would like walk away just kind of like unable to stop talking about this thing. Which is why it's really interesting. He seems to have had a huge base of contacts. There's since this all went pear shaped, a bunch of different famous people have been like, oh yeah, like we were talking about going out, he offered us a ride, And it's interesting to me that, like, given how unknown he was kind of before the sub went down, relatively speaking, how well connected he is. And I think it was because of this, because he was kind of building this this undersea influencer network of like famous people and rich people who just really liked doing this. Not a bad plan at least in terms of like building his company. So the problem with the plan was that he wanted to make this big submersible with space for a larger crew than basically any of the any of the like the deep water diving vessels had had previously. You know, you'd had those Russian subs and stuff that could carry a crew. But when you're looking at like, you know, the different national like deep water exploration vessels or like James Cameron's vessel, they were made for like generally one person, and they usually had like the actual the pressure barrier, which is like the part of the submersible that was meant to actually protect the human being was usually made out of like titanium or some sort of special steel, which is what you'd expect. This is the reliable, safe way to do it, and Rush chose not to do the reliable safe way to do it. Basically after like this, I think like the last big submersible disaster was in like the early seventies. It was these guys who were like laying deep water cable off the coast of Ireland and then something went wrong and they got stuck fifteen hundred feet down.
Speaker 3: They both got rescued.
Speaker 1: It was like a real They had like twelve minutes of air left when they got saved, So it was a fucking close thing. Yeah, it sounded like a nightmare, but it was one of those like it was survivable because the pressure barrier didn't fail, right, Like everything else went wrong, but like they did not explode, and you can survive most things aside from exploding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for a while at least.
Speaker 1: So the industry at all, I say industry, it's more of like a subculture of all of the the kind of weird undersea neabors.
Speaker 4: James Cameron calls it a community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a community, Yeah, I mean they kind of is the subculturist of all subcultures, the subs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's the sub So the literal subculture built a bunch of safety rules about like here is how you make a pressure barrier. These are the different like things you want to make sure your your vessel has and they kind of voluntarily adopted these standards and it worked really well because nobody died, Like in the last like since everyone listening to this podcast basically has been alive, no one has died doing these kind of like crazy deep water dives, which is wild when you think about what they're doing, right, that they're going to a place less explored than the fucking Moon, and that it was so safe. But Stockton Rush is like I'm going to ignore all of the things that they've been doing. I'm going to ignore like all of the requirements they have for these vessels and instead I'm going to make this motherfucker out of carbon ass fiber. Now carbon fiber. It's one of those you remember when it was special, when like we would hear about like this amazing space aids carbon fiber and all the like. Obviously, it's got a lot of uses. It's great material for certain things, for over the water things, pretty good for things not in the water, maybe not under the water. Maybe might make a great boat. I don't know. I'm not a boat maker. Yeah, but uh yeah. So Stockton was kind of obsessed with the fact that carbon fiber has three times the strength to buoyancy ratio of titanium, which he brought up constantly. People who were you know, didn't think this was a good idea. It would be like, yeah, but it like has terrible compressive strength. Like if you it's it's great if you're trying to like push it certain ways, but if you're trying to push it the way that pressure works underwater, it's it's a bad thing. It's also when like metal, the different metals they used for these things have the ability to kind of bend and flex to an extent, whereas carbon fiber is super strong, but when it breaks, it just it breaks real bad.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Pretty good metaphor for all tech stuff that it's like a space age fiber, a space age material. It works really well at one thing and catastrophically bad at everything else.
Speaker 1: And it's you know, it's also a great tech industry kind of metaphor because the defining thing about the defining like cultural aspect of big tech is its inability to leave well enough alone.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 1: You can't just be like, oh, hey, subway systems can work really well, and a lot of the most livable cities in the world have public transit. You have to be like, no, we're going to under sea hole or underwater holes and we're going to drive tesla's under them and they'll have no fire escapes. And likewise, it kind of seems like, at least from the reading I've done, it kind of seems like the submersible industry there wasn't any room to really like disrupt or innovate, Like cameras get a little better, batteries get a little better, but the basics of the thing that goes underwater and keeps you alive is always going to be the same. It's a big metal thing, like a big metal sphere. Titanium is listen.
Speaker 2: I mean, the whole tech industry is just like the ultimate participation trophy. All these bozo's coming up with ideas that already exist and no one has like, no one has ever told them their ideas are wrong or bad, and then they get to make them and you know, bankrupt existing people.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then yeah, Uber lights tens of billions of dollars on fire. Yeah, this is he's kind of doing that. He's got He's just he's not doing this. I mean there's a couple other reasons, as we'll get into, but yeah, carbon fiber bad idea for this sort of boat. Now, people had tried to use it before for submersibles. In the early two thousands, Richard Branson had funded an explorer named Steve Fawcett who wanted to make like an airplane shaped carbon fiber submarine that could basically fly to the bottom of the.
Speaker 3: Challenge team and back up.
Speaker 4: Every name in this story is somehow funny.
Speaker 1: Well, Fawcett's really because Fawcett was like a legitimate explorer. He was also known as this guy who repeatedly nearly died and like would cost various governments a shitload of money rescuing him, and then he'd be like, well I'm not I'm not paying for that and get himself into another disaster and eventually he died in a mysterious plan.
Speaker 3: That's that's the lesson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might not take his advice on this, and he never got to build it because he was involved in a mysterious plane crash that became the most expensive rescue effort in modern history.
Speaker 3: I guess up until this subwent down is.
Speaker 2: Fine, we got to stay peg taxes because they just go to these bozos once.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly so that they can fly their planes into the sides of canyons. Oh so anyway, Yeah, as kind of he starts moving along and building this and testing it out and Shorter dives. Various people within the industry, including like literally James Cameron, start reaching out and being like, hey, I don't know about this, feels like it might be not the best idea ever, and Rush ignores them. He told Smithsonian Magazine, there hasn't been an injury in the commercial sub industry in over thirty five years. It's obscenely safe because they have all these regulations. But it also has an innovated or growed because they have all these regulations obscenely safe, it's too safe. It makes me sick. No one's killed a sub full of people in decades.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: He saw his opening and went for it. It's so funny that every quote from him is just him doing like the jack off motion at the idea of safety regulations.
Speaker 1: I'm just imagining him like coming out and like a black turtleneck like Steve Jobs, and being like, and now for something insanely great, a boat that kills a shitload of people. What if we got more people to die at the Titanic wreck.
Speaker 3: It's all about scale, Roberts. It's about the scale.
Speaker 1: So he's instead of basically, instead of doing the things that engineers had been doing for decades to make this stuff safe, he invented an entirely new kind of safety device. It was called He called it an acoustic monitoring system which could detect the sound of micro buckling before it it being the carbon fiber fails Now. Nothing like this had ever been used on a submersible. It was untested technology. And again people who like worked with him, people who knew what he was doing, warned him like, hey, it kind of seems like this is the kind of thing that will only give you a warning right before you die, like it'll let you know, Like, and that's that's what happened. Like a minute before they all died. It said, hey, the structure's failing, so they tried to ascend and then it imploded.
Speaker 3: It's so wild that.
Speaker 2: His big safety plan was a robot that goes, damn, that just sounds crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like the bad idea about it. So he gets this fucking carbon fiber hole made. He rush orders it too. It's like a two week deal. It's a five inch thick hole made by a specialist and assembled into a submersible with a seven inch port hole put on by ocean Gate. One of the things he does is he attaches carbon fiber to titanium. The end cap of this thing with the porthole a is titanium. People didn't do that because titanium and carbon fiber, when put together and put under seawater corrode in specific ways. Then you're really bad but he was like, fuck it, I don't I don't think that'll happen. Like, I haven't found a reason why he thought this would be okay. He seems to have just been like, I don't think it'll be a problem.
Speaker 3: I thought I.
Speaker 2: Saw something where he was like, everyone says you can't do it, So that's yeah, like I said, back to there, we did it. It is start of shocking how much the engineering of this thing is just a pringles can.
Speaker 3: It's like, really wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean there's only basically everyone says, as everyone points out, there's only really two shapes something like this could be made the ideal one is a sphere, or you make the less ideal shape, a pringles can, as you call it. He goes with pringles can, and I want to play this clip of him because it really it makes it gives you an idea of how fucking arrogant this guy was.
Speaker 6: You remember it as an innovator, Yu, and I think it was general MacArthur said, you remembered for the rules you bring, and you know I've broken some rules to make this. I think I broke him with with logic and good engineering behind me, the carbon fiber and titanium.
Speaker 3: There's a rule you don't do that.
Speaker 6: Well I did.
Speaker 3: It's pick I do love that.
Speaker 1: Like he's he's he's being like quoting Douglas MacArthur positively here, like the guy who the guy who attempted to invade North Korea and then got his ass kicked, like Douglas MacArthur, just like, yeah, he got he got a lot of nineteen year olds killed. I feel like I could too good call man, I mean good call it is. It is like honestly crazy, how much every single thing he says is wrong. It's like shocking.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like if if we learned that he was a time traveler sent back from whatever he got, you know, he got vaporized, and then that sent him to the future, and then he figured out how to way to send himself back, and he was his only goal was to say the funniest possible thing about his death.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: See now I'm I'm trying not to like I'm trying to like really ride the middle of the of the not being too crude about this line. But now I'm thinking about like maybe Stocked and Rush came from the future where Skynett took over and like the billionaires on this sub were all of the guys who invested on the ground floor of that. And he's like, look, the Terminator thing, that created too much of a mess. We don't want a big shootout with the LAPD. I gotta find a quieter way to stop Skynett from getting off the ground, like inviting Miles Dyson to go under water with you. Yeah, he's a big Titanic head.
Speaker 3: That is. That is a thing that I really.
Speaker 2: Like tourat or two gets wrong, is like how easy it is to kill billionaires simply buy like you don't need guns or tact people are really there's just like appeal to their idiot ego.
Speaker 3: They'll fucking kill themselves. It's great.
Speaker 1: It is funny that, like the least realistic part of the movie Terminator Too is not like the time travel or the robots with living skin, but the fact that when Miles Dyson was told, like when this tech entrepreneur was told your product will kill the world, he was like, well, time for me to die stopping it, instead of being like, oh, I better do another round of VC funding. So when they finished building this stupid when it was done, they first did an unmanned test up to I think around ten thousand feet with this thing, and then as soon as like it didn't explode, stocked and took it down alone past ten thousand feet and against all expert advice. The experts were like, you'd probably do it more than once before you put anyone in it, right, Like human life is generally, Oh, you don't think it's precious, Okay, it's fine. It's whatever you know, And at this point, honestly, that's fine. Like if this had remained a crazy man who wanted to build his own terrible submarine and he had died alone exploring the bottom of that would be romantic. People would be writing songs about him, you know, the lone maniac who just loved the ocean so much and didn't really understand carbon fiber enough. But of course, you know, his plan is again to sell tickets on this thing. Now, there were some signs in his maiden voyage that this thing was not safe. It stalled out at like ten thousand feet below the surface for a while for reasons they couldn't determine, and then it lost contact for like a couple of hours with the team on the boat, and he didn't notice. He was like so excited piloting it that he didn't even realize he'd lost contact for a while. And I'm I'm going to read a quote from Smithsonian here. He had chosen to pilot Titan alone in case anything went unexpectedly wrong. Said, but he also wanted to be only the second person to travel solo to at least that depth, the other being James Cameron, who in twenty twelve took an Australian built sub into the Mariana Trench, reaching Challenger Deep, the ocean's deepest point, touching down at close to thirty six thousand feet. That's a nice club to be a part of, Rush says, and that that kind of makes it clear he doesn't he's not a scientist. He wants famous explorer clout right. He's not saying I want to test this, I want to do this. He's saying, like I want my name on like a list, right, Yeah, like I want to I want to do the you know, check off the box on the famous explorer list.
Speaker 3: That is, He's just.
Speaker 2: Kind of a thing that's been hard, is how much of this conversation, this last couple of days has been like these people were explorers, and it's like they really weren't, like they were not figuring anything out.
Speaker 1: Like, look, guys, aside from very niche facts about how boats underwater decompose, there's nothing left we're going to learn about the Titanic. It's we did We did it, like we've done a lot of time, spent a lot of time looking at that dead boat and yeah, it's like the ID it's it's just uh, it's clout. It's all clout seeking, and yeah, that's kind of the That's like why they went with That's why he went with, you know, this less safe shape is because he wanted to be able to take people with him so that they could then brag about this stuff. He just wanted to make sure he was first.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 1: Also the reason why ultimately he's making this out of carbon fiber is because that will make it light, and that will make it cheaper than the other methods of making submersibles, and that means that it'll be like a big heavy titanium or metal you know, diving vessel takes a big boat to bring it around because like it's so heavy, Whereas he thought this thing you could take it around on smaller boats. You could make a bunch of them and he could have them operating for a lot less money and a fast company out of you.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, you know, you do you got to kill people with uh with scale.
Speaker 3: That's the key that he found.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, like we got to be able to get a bunch of these out. It's like Uber's long term plan was to get profitable by making autonomous cars and forcing out drivers. And his plan is to like flood the ocean with these dangerous submersibles so that he can sell them to a bunch of people the long term. This is what he told Fast Company. The long term value is in the commercial side. Adventure tourism is a way to monetize the process of proving the technology. Like that's and again his plan is still I want to sell this to the oil and gas industry. I want to sell this shit to the CIA. Like his plan is to make money in extractive industries, and like the defense industry, he's just trying to subsidize that by getting rich people to go down and look at the Titanic. Technical problems continued to plague the craft. Between that and bad weather, it missed several dive windows. In subsequent interviews, Rush tended to ignore this period of time where it was repeatedly kind of like failing to make depth. They're having to return because something would go wrong. But there were people within Oceangate who worried he was being reckless from the very first dive the Titan did people inside could hear crackling from the carbon fiber body. Now one of the industry folks, like a sub maker that he brought with him, was like, that is the sound of your sub failing? Like this is a serious problem. I can tell you exactly where it's compromised. Like, no, this has to be dealt with otherwise you can't take people on this boat. But Stockton tended to kind of brush this off as like a quirker.
Speaker 4: Do they not know the rule? Do they not know the rule?
Speaker 3: Though, Robert, what's the rule? Soviey?
Speaker 4: Do they not know the rule? The rule is snap crackle pop, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so this guy, it's in twenty nineteen that this happened. This guy, Carl Stanley, who's like runs an exploration compedy, goes with him on a twelve thousand foot dive and is like, yeah, that's part to the whole breaking down, bro, And Rushi is like, no, no, no, it's it's fine. We've we've we've been listening to the whole breakdown and it's doing it less now, so we feel like it's pretty good. And this guy's like, I don't know, I don't think you should take people. You can't take customers on this thing yet. Like, if you think it's safe, that's great, but you should wait until you've done like fifty deep water dives before you decide that this thing is safe. And he brings up he points out like, you know because because Russia's comment to that is like, well you just picked a random number. There's no reason fifty is safer than three or four, which, first stuff.
Speaker 3: That's very dumb.
Speaker 1: But second like this Stanley is like, well, you know, like with sky diving, fifty is the number that you have to hit to reach your like B license, so we should probably you know, seek to be at least as safe as the sky diving industry.
Speaker 3: And Rush is just like you just tend to number man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's like these people that claim to be these like numerate hard science like whatever, it's just like, eh, three fifty whatever.
Speaker 3: It's like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's anyway. So one of his employees takes action. In twenty eighteen, a guy named David Lockridge, who was a he's a submersible pilot who had been hired to be the ocean Gate director of marine operations. That meant the safety of the crew in customers was legally his business, and he was like he takes a look at this thing and is like, wait a second, I'm responsible for like not killing people, and this thing is a death trap. I have some problems with this, right, like responsibly. Lockridge is like one of two people in this entire story who does their fucking job right. So they had built a one third scale model of the Titan in order to like do you know, pressure tests and stuff outside of you know, the deep ocean, and those tests had shown that consistent constant pressure cycling weakened the carbon fiber overtime that it degraded pretty rapidly. Lockridge also found flaws and the visible carbon in samples for the Titan. He was like, we had this was not made well enough and it degrades very quickly over time. So he wanted the company to perform more extensive tests to see if the Titan had already been compromised. Stockton refused these tests. He claimed, quote no scan of the Wholer bond line could be done because the hole was too thick and the equipment to test it didn't exist. He was like, this thing is so well made, we can't even test if it's.
Speaker 3: If it's safe. Bro, you can't even test this ship.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's too thick, man, it's too thick, too thick to But also he's at the same time, he's like, it's safe because we're always monitoring to see if there's fractures.
Speaker 3: And it's like, well, but what Both of those things can't be true, Stocked it.
Speaker 1: You can't be monitoring the hole for problems and unable to the whole for problems. But Lockridge Lock So, Lockridge, I think, notices this, and he keeps digging. He finds other problems. For one thing, he'd always been concerned about the viewport, which people would note seem like it flexed at depth a lot more than it ought to be flexing. And so he was like, what is this thing rated for? And he like digs into it and he finds out that the viewport is rated for thirteen hundred meters. They're they're going down to like four thousand meters. So he's like, well, that seems like a real problem. And Stockton's general line is, oh, thirteen hundred. They just put like that number on there. It can actually handle a lot more. There's not any reason why he thinks it can handle more.
Speaker 2: He keeps saying engineering what he means, because I fucking felt like it.
Speaker 3: It's so bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I fucking felt like it. Yeah, it's it's pretty good. But you know what can with stand up to four thousand meters of pressure. Food boxes that Blue Apron ships out, every single one of them guaranteed to survive the pressures of the deep. And in fact, if you want to go see the Titanic yourself, you can't use this sub anymore. But what you can do is dive into the Atlantic with a box of Blue Apron food and it'll keep you safe. You will not die if you leap alone into the frigid North Sea with a box of Blue Apron vegetables. Keep you alive, Sophie.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 1: So this guy, David Lockridge finds a bunch of shit, that's a problem. In addition to the porthole not being rated for depth and the fucking carbon fiber being shit, he also finds out that there's hazardous flammable materials inside the vessel that the customers are not being informed about, Like, hey, you can all burn to death inside inside a carbon fiber tomb. Is a problem, and they just didn't tell people. And a big part of Lockridge's issue is like not just that they're doing this because it's it's not illegal to do this, right, because there's no laws in the site. He's like, we're not informing people that these are dangers, right, Like you're writing on the list, Hey you know you could die doing this, which generally just makes people think it's extra cool. But we're not saying, hey, guys, here are all of the defects in this process.
Speaker 3: Here, we are all of you.
Speaker 2: You really could die, So a lot of ways that you are not even thinking of. Burning to death in that tube under the ocean is the most like postmodern way to die, I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely, Yeah, find the tech bros innovating disrupting the ocean enough that people burn to death inside it truly r Yeah, yeah, So Lockridge brings all of this to Stockton, and according to Lockridge, Stockton grows enraged and then fires Lockridge. So Lockridge ocean Gate sues Lockridge for disclosing confidential information, and he counters sues and claims like, well, I'm a whistleblower because I think he's going to get people killed. Now, none of this becomes major news while people are writing articles about their ocean gates first successful Titanic drops like this is all available again within like twelve hours of the boat going missing. This winds up in news stories. Anyone could have found this. And by the way, like billionaires, especially billionaires with their own companies, tend to have like crews of people who like look up shit rhythm, you know, who make sure that vet trips that they're doing, vet people they're working with, they have like intelligence wings. They tend to hire people for this. They could have found this too, Like nobody was looking for this shit, but it was not hard to find. So two months after Lockridge filed this suit, ocean Gate has another potential PR disaster on its hand because around forty leading figures in the industry, including deep sea explorers and oceanographers, write an open letter to Stockton in which they warned that his experimental craft is unsafe for passengers. Their primary issue here was that he had chosen not to get his submersible rated for four thousand meters of depth under the phvo or Pressure Vessels for human occupancy standards. This was not something he had to do. Again, he's not like required to do this. The boat's registered in like Canada, he's in international waters. There's not really a way to stop rich people from paying to build subs like this and taking them out in the ocean.
Speaker 3: You know, if.
Speaker 1: Canada made a law against it, he would have registered his boat in the caravan or some shit right like there's it's boats. You can't stop rich people from doing what they want on their stupid.
Speaker 2: Boats and needing to be rescued by a public entity. This is the perfect libertarian Parbertarian story. This is as libertarian as the shit gets.
Speaker 1: It is what they always take to the sea and it always goes so badly. There were a lot of other issues that people or a lot of other people who brought up issues. One of the guys who kind of like points out some potential risks kind of directly to Stockton is a guy named Rob McCallum, and McCallum is kind of a dude in the industry, and he is in direct contact with Stockton. Stockton's trying to get him to like get on this boat and be like, hey, man, don't you want to, like, uh, don't you want to, you know, go see the Titanic with me? And this guy responds like, I think you're potentially placing yourself and your clients in a dangerous dynamic in your race to the Titanic. You're mirroring that famous cat ry she is unsinkable. And Stockton responds, we have heard the baseless cries of you are going to kill someone way too often. I take this as a serious personal insult.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you can't make someone learned, like if he's going to respond to no, you really can't. People have been telling me I'm going to kill someone that I'm insulted, Like, you cannot fix that. That is like millionaire brain worms that cannot go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's you know. When I was in a little kid and I was in like the boy Scouts, we had this one camp out and like I was one of at this point, I was like fourteen, So I was one of the older boys and we had a couple of the younger boys, you know that we were trying to like teach the basics of camping and stuff too.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's nighttime.
Speaker 1: Everyone's sitting around their fires cooking food and they have this like nice cooler that one of their dads had brought out with them, and they've got it like wedged up right next to the fire and they're sitting.
Speaker 3: On it like it's a chair.
Speaker 1: And as I'm like doing a walk through, I'm like, hey, that's kind of a bad idea.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: You know, it's pretty close to the fire. It might like you know, catch on fire, get melted or something. It looks expensive, and like one of the kids just looks at me, like I'm an idiot, and it's like it can't catch on fire.
Speaker 3: It's got icon.
Speaker 1: We just like we go over to like the adult who's running things, and he's like, just let it happen, you know.
Speaker 3: Like they'll learn a lesson. And I wish.
Speaker 1: I feel like if that had happened to Stockton as a younger man, maybe maybe all of those people would still be alive. You know, one melted cooler could have saved a lot of lives. Yeah, it is like, yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Face a consequence once or twice a minimum, please.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, learn that, you know, when other people give you warnings, they should be heated sometimes. Learn that maybe your instincts don't always take you in the right directions. He does not ever learn this lesson because he's born super rich, you know. So all of these warnings were super correct. And this gets proved in twenty twenty. And I'm gonna quote from a summary published by MSN Law MSN Live Right now.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty, the CEO told geek Wire the whole of the submarine was showing scigns of cyclic fatigue, one of the same technical issues mister Lockridge allegedly warned about as the company continued to test the craft, including with a four thousand meters deep dive in the Bahamas. As a result, the company temporarily downgraded the Titanic submarine's whole depth rating to three thousand meters, a thousand less than the Titanic's depth according to tech Crunch, So they have this problem. They had like recognized the cyclic fatigue and they decrease the depth rating while they get material to rebuild the hub the hole, which they do in twenty twenty one. Now, the fact that they had to rebuild the hole that quickly is kind of worrisome, But what's extra worrisome is that they also cut costs.
Speaker 3: On this ship. So yeah.
Speaker 1: After the Titan imploded, Travel Weekly editor in chief Arnie Wiseman wrote that he had been due to take a trip to the Titanic that year, and he'd known Stocked in a while and liked him. He'd gone out with him a couple of times. But he expressed that like they'd been talking one day and Russiad told him quote he had gotten the carbon fiber us to make the Titan at a big discount from Boeing because it was way past its shelf life for use in airplanes. Oh yeah, And so he tells this to the guy he's trying to convince to come down with him, and Arnie's like, that seems like a really bad idea, Like it seems really dangerous that you're using expired carbon fiber. And Stockton's response is like, nah, man, they set the shelf light dates on those like way earlier than they ought to be it's actually like, it's the argument I make when I take expired like it in that like a friend of mine has in a medicine cabinet and they're like, oh, we should just throw that out, Like, no, man, this stuff is still good.
Speaker 2: This is he's he's as cavalier with multiple people's multiple billionaires lives as I am with, Like, is this takeout still cool?
Speaker 3: Rice beIN in the fridge too long? It is?
Speaker 1: It is so wild that like and he just admits this to someone he's trying to talk into getting on his.
Speaker 3: Boat, Like, yeah, you know, was extra cool.
Speaker 1: I had a deal on this carbon fiber because they say it's not safe for airplanes anymore.
Speaker 3: Let's go under the sea with it. I am not getting in your boat.
Speaker 1: If you're saying that, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bragging about cheaping out on your fucking submersible.
Speaker 3: Is so wild. It's so wild.
Speaker 1: It's it's funny too, because like a big touchstone with this story is obviously Jurassic Park, which is the tale of a you know, insane an insane rich man killing getting a bunch of people killed through humans. At least the book Hammond is a bad very much a bad guy in the book, But I do at least he's like smart enough to brag that they spared no expense, like they cut corners everywhere in Jurassic Park. But like he doesn't say that. He's not like being like, you know, we made all these t rex enclosures at a turkey wire a lot cheaper than the stuff that these experts said I needed to use.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I just all I.
Speaker 2: Wish is that every Silicon Valley titan of industry has the like you know, has the self belief to live their lives according to what they really believe.
Speaker 3: The way that Stockton rushed did.
Speaker 2: I think he is a hero and a model for everyone of those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he. I agree with you entirely, And I think this is why I've heard that they're remaking doing like a TV show version of Jurassic Park that's based on the book. And I actually think we're ready for that, because in the actual book, Hammond, rather than being a sweet grandfather, is a psychotic tech entrepreneur who gets brutally murdered by one of his own dinosaurs. And maybe we need that right now. We may in fact need to that version of Jurassic Park or.
Speaker 9: Yeah fictionally, Yeah, So the weirdest thing about what I just told you about him getting cut right carbon fiber for his death sub is that he may have lied about that, which is this wild thing to lie about.
Speaker 1: It's hard to say, but like journalists reached out to Boeing to be like, are you guys selling discount carbon fiber to the death sub guy? And Boeing was like, we have no record of any kind of sale of this sort to ocean Gate or to Stockton Rush. Now Boeing is very like possibly a liar in this situation. I'm not going like there it's Boeing, I have no need to defend them. But also, like stocked and Rush would be the kind of guy. I find it equally likely that he cheaped out on life saving parts or that he actually bought better stuff and light about getting a deal on them to try to impress some guy. Like either of those things is possible. There's no way to know. Yeah, yeah, so many possibilities.
Speaker 2: It feels like there's also something like he seems like the guy who doesn't actually know where his shit is sourced from, like someone.
Speaker 3: Just told him at price, and like basically Boeing and like.
Speaker 1: Fuck it, yeah, yeah, who knows, Yeah, yeah, who knows. And it is also I should say this is also part of a pretty fun pattern for him, because Stockton had a history of bragging in his interviews, you know, he had He would he would take people on and they would see like, oh, there's a lag Tech controller as like piloting this thing, and like the interior lights are just like shit you bought from Camper World. Seems kind of jankie for a submarine that you're expecting to keep you alive at like twelve or thirteen thousand feet below you know, the surface. And Stockton to be like, well, yeah, you know, we you know, this is like a rough and tumble outfit. We had to kind of hack you know, certain shit. But like when it comes to stuff that really matters, when it comes to the pressure barrier, that is the best stuff available. You know, not only is carbon fibrous space age material, but we designed the whole pressure barrier with help from NASA and from Boeing and from the University of Washington. He would bring up those three names every single time, like somebody pointed out that it was janky, and since all those people died. Journalists reached out to Boeing, and Boeing was like, we didn't have shit to do. I don't know what he's talking about. We didn't help this guy with anything, like, we have no idea what you're commenting on.
Speaker 3: I have not seen NASA answer those like to that yet.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any sort of response from them as to whether or not they had any role in this. CBS notes quote. In a statement, the University of Washington said it supplied physics Laboratory provided engineering services to the company in Rush from twenty thirteen to twenty twenty, but on a different submersible. The one they helped with was the Cyclops and at that point was steel hold and only meant for shallow dies. So basically he was and it seems likely to me that like I don't know, maybe he talked with a guy from Boeing, maybe a because like there was one astronaut we'll talk about later that he like brings in that he hires to basically be a brand evangelist. I think he was just kind of like doing that normal tech thing where you just you have like this this little bitty sky of truth and you just sort of like embellish on it until it's a lie. Yeah, yeah, I think that's what he's doing.
Speaker 3: So it is I know you.
Speaker 2: Said a moratorium on forty k commentary, but it is shocking how much this is just an ORC mech that we're talking about.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Hey, if this was an ORC mech, it would have made it down there, right, because all of these guys believed in this stupid thing, you know, that.
Speaker 3: Would have kept it safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's a rip to the number one war boy.
Speaker 5: Yeah he.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 1: People always want us to do like a Warhammer episode, which I won't do because because there are only like thirty people who appreciate Warhammer enough for that to happen.
Speaker 3: But you didn't think I would be one of them.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I'm proud it was proper use of a of a war boy there there.
Speaker 3: I'm oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from the old Armageddon campaign. Orchimedes actually did build an Orc submarine. There was a during the Armageddon games. There was like even a little model that some.
Speaker 3: People act together for. Yeah, good stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Orchimedes better sub designer in the sky than sucked in Rush, A lot more concerned with safety. Yeah, Jesus okay, all right, sorry, sorry for that. So at this point I want to get to the thing that I've been most excited to show you because I found an ad that Ocean Safe was using to sell this that and it is bug fun. I am so excited for you to see this fucking thing. We're gonna play several clips. But here's how it's study.
Speaker 5: Expeditions offers you the once in a lifetime opportunity to be a specially trained crew members safely diving to the Titanic wreckage site. Get ready for what Jules Verne could only imagine a twelve five hundred foot journey to the bottom of the sea.
Speaker 1: Probably, so you see, they start right off with like it's safe, this is a safe journey. It's a safe journey that Jules Verna would be jealous about. Jules Verne, who famously wrote about safe submarine.
Speaker 3: Chah, listen, I know billionaires again just have brain worms.
Speaker 2: But anytime you're paying, like the idea, the fact that they call these people crew members or whatever, like anytime you have to pay money to ostensibly do a job, you should realize you're being scammed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does have a little bit of that, like going to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know exactly where to where to draw the line here, but it does have a little bit of that, like, no, we call our at this restaurant, we call our customers guests or exactly, yeah it is. I just want to play the next clip from this because the kind of the different. By kind of paying attention to the verbiage he uses here, you get two things, which is that like he's really obsessed with making sure people think this is safe, and he's really obsessed with making sure that they don't consider themselves tourists. Right, Like, we'll play some more from that, but like there's a couple of points where he like really emphasizes this is not tourism. Now, by the time this video was published, like two months before the sub kills everybody. So at that point, Ocean Game has done two different dives to successful dives to see the Titanic, and each time they're doing this, I think they're going down more than once. Right, they have a boat and it's got like a number of people on it, and they do is you know, a couple of trips. It's unclear to me exactly how many times the sub reached the bottom, but they brought a few different groups of people down there, which meant that they had some customer testimonials to play, which gives this thing kind of like the flavor of like a TV infomercial for I don't know, like a shot back.
Speaker 3: So if you play it again, another trip like this, fewer people have been the Titanic and into space.
Speaker 10: It's tougher to go to the bottom of the ocean than it is to the far side of the moon. So we saw things that maybe human eyes have never seen before.
Speaker 3: This is like, this is what's playing on the TV during RoboCop.
Speaker 1: This is a company that exists in RoboCop and every week they do get people killed, but it's not a problem in the RoboCop. The second guy you hear in that, the dude like talking about how you know you could see something no humans ever seen, is a former astronaut named Scott Perezenski. Scott was in NASA for seventeen years. He's the first person to fly in space and to summit Mount Everest. Now I'm not accusing doctor Perezinski of any illegal or an ethical behavior, but he is the major selling point of this video right. He is on this more than basically anybody else. He's constantly there to like let His job is to both let potential customers know. Number one, if you do this, you'll be an explorer like me, the cool astronaut guy, and nonumber two. I think this is a good idea as an astronaut. This seems like a safe thing to me. I guess I am accusing him of something that is unhappy mean in a two thousand nine year No.
Speaker 2: It is probably the best, most charitable version of this. He's like, what, how bad could it be?
Speaker 3: It is? I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I don't think he maybe knew, But also I think he he is a doctor in an astronaut and like guys who wrote for Business Insider found this this lawsuit from his former employee warning that the vessel was unsafe a day after this thing went down. I have to believe doctor Nasa man would like have found some of this, like it wasn't hard. Again, Business Insider not the greatest publication in the world, and they they locked this stuff down right. So anyway, in that twenty nineteen Smithsonian article, doctor Perezinski is fawning towards doctor's genius. It's not easy to take a white shee of paper, come up with a new submersible design, fund it, test it, and mature it. It was an incredibly audacious thing to do, fair enough, certainly.
Speaker 2: Audaciousacious, you know, not that hard, it turns out, but sure.
Speaker 3: Not easy, I guess. Yeah. You know what else was audacious? That guy who shot the Archbishop of Austria, Hungary. A lot of people killed too, but audacious. Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, cool stuff. Scott's job is again to make potential clientele feel cool. Right, These are mostly a lot of the kind of the cash crop that Stockton is hoping to harvest is like late middle aged, super rich guys who want to feel like Indiana Jones but don't know how to do anything but shovel VC money into different startups and hope that it makes them a profit. Right, And so Scott's job is to be like, no, if you do this, you're an explorer and you'll be in this kind of like private club of deep sea explorers with me, the cool astronaut guy. So a big part of the work that this ad is doing is to try to incite that feeling in people while also pruning away the sense of embarrassment they naturally feel about paying a quarter of a million dollars to see a grave site. And I'm going to have Sophie play you another clip from this fucking video.
Speaker 5: This is not a thrill ride for tourists. It's much more. It is an eight day, one of a kind experience. You will be trained as a mission specialist and record valuable findings.
Speaker 8: A citizen scientist is also involved in the science.
Speaker 3: They are doing jobs that are.
Speaker 8: Essential to the scientific research, not just busy work. We are looking at the process of degradation at the science. We are trying to make a really good map of the site and its current state.
Speaker 3: This is not tourism. You're contributing. It's not a ride at Disney. You know, there's a lot of real risk. Then there's a lot of challenges we partnered with.
Speaker 2: I. All of these things are what you tell a five year old when you quote give them a job.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is bonkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, guys, we're really going on a Star warship kids. You know, as you take them to the Disney World Star Wars experience, it's so funny because too they keep talking about like you're doing real work. But the closest they get to like saying anything scientific they're doing is like, yeah, we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna look at like how how it's falling.
Speaker 1: Apart, like you go down there. Yeah, the boat's still all fucked up. Guys, it's not it's not not sailing again. It hasn't reconstituted itself.
Speaker 3: My god.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's it seems like ocean Gate they really wanted their customers because there it's very interesting. They cycle between being like, you know, this isn't a tour a throw ride, this is there's real danger here, but also like you're not going to die, like they have to get it's interesting. They have to get both of those things across to the clientele. Both like you're in danger because they don't want it to People don't want to feel like this is safe. They want to feel like they're explorers. But also you will not die if you do this. Those are the two things they're trying to get across in this video. Is this next clip will help to make clear.
Speaker 10: That it's very well engineered and very safe. But then the team is very focused on safety. First.
Speaker 3: The communication. It's really key, I think knowing that they never.
Speaker 11: Lost communication, not one second of me experiencing anything from otion Gate.
Speaker 3: Have I ever felt unsafe? As I pointed out on the bridge earlier, your safety plans all are unvessele.
Speaker 5: All mission specialists get to dive down to the Titanic, but the full experience entails much more.
Speaker 1: So hold that for a second, so because I may have you play another clip, but like, that's that's really interesting. Number one, it's come out since it went down that they were just lying on that part where they're like, at no point, maybe the old lady was telling the truth. But like there are repeated stories from numerous clients of it like losing contact. It was regular that it lost contact, and the attitude that fucking stocked and tried it pushes like, look, this is you know, an experimental sub something a little you know, stuff's going to go wrong all the time, you know, as long as the big thing, as long as it doesn't. Employees were fine. If you listen to James Cameron. Cameron, who was another guy who was started as an amateur and you know got into doing this stuff right, so he is kind of a good person to bring in here. Cameron's attitude was very much like, well, no, something shouldn't be going wrong. Every dive and when something major like comms goes wrong, you should go back to the drawing board and fix it before you keep going back down there. Like Cameron's vessel had three different methods of communicating with the ship above. It was so reliable that he would like take calls from his wife like while he was doing dives a bit like again, because he was taking it seriously, say what you went about James Cameron. After he nearly got ed Harris killed by the set of The Abyss, he took undersea safety a lot more seriously.
Speaker 2: It is like this thing where you're like, like, we all see James Cameron as like, I guess he's just the s tier dilettante.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it is like a little you still.
Speaker 2: Kind of roll your eyes when you're like, oh, he did it, and then you like, now you see how a true dilettante could have done things, and you're like, oh, all right, we simply must hand it to James Cameron.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It is funny because like Cameron's background prior to becoming a film director was I think he'd been a school bus driver and dropped out of college. Hey, everybody quit correction, James Cameron was a truck driver and not a school bus driver before he got into directing. Sorry, I didn't mean to fuck up on my big Jym lore. But yeah, James Cameron interesting dude, but you know he's not. I think what it is is that, like all these tech dudes need to have that Elon Musk. Elon Musk puts a lot of effort into making people feel like he's an actual inventor, like making these impressive things that his companies make, and Cameron, on the other hand, seems more like a guy who's like, well, I want to do this. I want to be like diving down there. But I'm going to find the very best people in this industry and listen to whatever they have to say, as opposed to like, no, everyone but me is wrong. I'm going to make a sub that kills three billionaires. Yeah, anyway, very funny. Mike Reese is a Rice is a former. He used to be the showrunner for The Simpsons, and it tells you how much money used to be in TV, writing that he was able to take four trips in the titan including one down to the Titanic, and he says that the ship lost Colms at some point in every one of his four voyages. Here's what he told ABC quote with no GPA. Rice said it took his crew three hours to find the Titanic, despite landing just five hundred yards from the ship. Rice, who served as show runner for The Simpsons, said he signed a waiver that mentions death three times on the first page. It is always in the back of your head that this is dangerous and any small problem will turn into a major catastrophe, which is I guess we'll see how well these these these disclosure or whatever permission slips go off in court.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the Simpsons, win it. When all this shit about their like liability waivers came out, I kept thinking about that scene where Seymour takes them all to the Civil War like fort as a as a school trip. They get in trouble and he winds up leaving several kids behind, and it's like hugging the permission slips. God bless the man who invented permission.
Speaker 3: Slip real did this this is your fault? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So David Pogue, a journalist with CBS News who went on a trip with Ocean Gate, also mentioned this formidable waiver and once the titan went missing. He noted on Twitter that while he was on the boat reporting on the company, a tour went out and got lost for five hours. He notes that after this, because this was so scary, Stockton considered adding a beacon. But yeah, and this wound up not being the thing that got them all killed. But it shows you the level of safety consciousness they have where it's like, oh wow, this is a real obvious danger.
Speaker 3: Better not do anything about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess in fairness, his point of view is like, listen, this thing isn't going to get lost. A beacon is truly wasted, Bundy. I know how this thing is gonna Uh how the end comes from this. I know everyone's going to die. We're good, No one's no one's suffocating on this thing. That is like the stocked in rush guarantee.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, the problem is not going to be that you run out of air. Don't worry guys.
Speaker 1: But you know who never runs out of oxygen? The sponsors of this show that's right immune to dying. Ah, and we're back so talking about mister Stockton Rush. There is a point like when that ship went missing on Pogue's voyage and it has gone for like five hours when they can't communicate with it. Pogue noted in that Twitter thread that like they shut down the internet as soon as the boat stopped communicating. Well, and that actually that's a thing I will defend. People have been like, well, that's really shady. I actually disagree with that, because if you're running a trip like this, right, even if it's not like a death sub right, if you're just like taking people out on a boat and one of your boats goes missing, if I'm in charge of that boat, first thing I'm doing is turning off the Internet because if a bunch of people just died, they shouldn't find out about it, because some like TikTok dude posts the video, you know, like, I'm not gonna give ocean Gate a lot of credit, but that is what.
Speaker 3: You would do with this they did. They did the right ish thing for obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we could all be confident they did it for the wrong reason.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they had a shady reason for wanting to do it, but but there is a justification for wanting people to not find out that they're like and I don't know, I guess it is one of the real fucked up things to me is that like the wife of that that billionaire, the Pakistani billionaire who went down, and and like his son, she was like on the boat when they went missing, like she's on the like, which.
Speaker 3: Is pretty bad. Time up a lot of fucked up stuff.
Speaker 1: So the thing I keep coming back to is that all of the ship we've talked about about, how like all of the evidence that this thing was dangerous before it went down was easily available somewhere online. Prior to the titan setting out on its final voice, like credible people had pointed out that this was dangerous. And one of the things that I'm most frustrated about is that, like none of the people in the media who are covering this thing once it starts actually getting to the Titanic bring any of this stuff right right and it's it's It's very interesting because like David Pogue's of CBS goes on a tour and like Pogue, I think his like coverage is absolutely irresponsible, Like there's not really any investigative rigor. He's not pointing out any of the signs that this thing is like dangerous, and his article is the video in the podcast that he does is basically pure praise, right where like when he talks about it, yeah, it's a disgusting puff piece, right, Like that's that's like there are parts of it that look almost identical to the ad video where he's like showing him around the you know, all this footage of it diving and footage of like life on the boat, like it is super fawning. Pogue did mention briefly that one of these butt like one of the trips got lost and they lost comms and stuff, but like he brings it up as like, well, it's still you know, not super tested technology, as opposed to like, well, this is a major problem and the boat shouldn't be back out until this gets solved. You know, there were other basic problems that should have drawn more scrutiny from journalists. For one, like, outside of the CBS report, Stockton also invited a BBC team to come film one of their dives as a pr thing imagig and that trip captures the looming disaster feel better than like when the documentary about this gets made, they're going to use clips from that BBC documentary because during this fucking dive that the BBC is there to film, I think two of the thrusters on this thing are installed backwards, like they put the engines on wrong, and so the boats spinning around in circles. And because there's a film crew there, they don't want to just scrub the dive to fix it, so they figure out a way that the guy piloting it can like hold the con troller sideways so that it works.
Speaker 3: So they I mean, and there's new.
Speaker 2: Video game spirit. They're basically on take the cartridge out.
Speaker 3: And blow on it mode. It's wild that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I want to play you a fairly long clip from this because it gives you an idea. It's kind of cutting between you know, mission controller whatever in the boat as they try to figure out how to fix this, and it shows you how janky this whole process is.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we have a problem.
Speaker 11: When I'm thrusting forward, one of the thrusters is thrusting backwards right now.
Speaker 5: Slowly.
Speaker 3: Thing I can do right now is the three sixty on the sticks now like the actual compsticks. Yeah, what is left and right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: The right stick that's forward back, turn left, turn right? And what's happening when he's going forward? He's getting a turn?
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 3: What's left it down and up? Okay, yeah what we calls that?
Speaker 1: You know, by got one of those restaurant.
Speaker 3: I mean if you're a directional parts right, yeah it should be. But something happened. Yeah, what he can do?
Speaker 12: So on the controller you have the updown, left right arrows and you could set them so that one was going and then when every time you hit the crew the button, you would go forward. I hope he knows how to do this. I hate Jerome Stockton on Wendy's phone. Just call it back if you get a chance. We get a question on the dive right now, looking to see if there's a way to remap the PS three controller.
Speaker 3: NICs.
Speaker 1: So they are just like you and your friends playing like video games at like someone's thirteenth birthday.
Speaker 3: Party late at night.
Speaker 1: They're they're getting tripped up remapping a p S three controller like while these fuckers are underwater.
Speaker 3: God, it's JANKI like it really is this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people flipped out a lot about the fact, like they're using, you know, a gaming controller, which is not super weird for stuff like this. Like a lot of times it gets used because controllers, gaming controllers are pretty good at at at this kind of motion, but like this is the the jank, Like you should not be having to remap on the fly because whatever checklist you had for this thing before it went off, didn't make sure the engines were on right.
Speaker 3: Like that's that's pretty bad.
Speaker 1: Like if I get on a plane and they're like, hey, guys, we got to go back. Somebody put an engine on wrong. So we're just gonna We're just gonna like figure it out in the air. Don't worry. No, I'm I am opening the emergency door and rolling out onto the tarmac. I'm not going up in the sky in that thing. They're like, we just got to twist it and then it'll go in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. It's so oh god, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: There's nothing really to say, but it's so fucking bonkers that this was allowed to happen.
Speaker 1: It's it's yeah, it's it's nuts, and it's nuts that again, guys like Pogue are just talking about how cool this is, what a great and it's it's of course it works this way. For one thing, David Pogue is the kind of quote unquote journalist you bring in if you need, like a guy a dumb guy with a platform.
Speaker 3: To make your tech product look cooler than it is.
Speaker 1: Right, That's his actual job is to like pump up bad ideas from the tech industry. So he's a great dude for Stockton to work with here. And it's also like Stockton has a kind of gut level understanding of how awe inspiring being this deep below the ocean is and the fact that when you put people through experience is that intense. It creates like a bond and a sense of like emotional loyalty between folks on the journey in between them and the company. And he makes a lot of conscious use of that even in testimonials on this ad. The lady that you're about to hear first from on this clip that Sophy's gonna play is a former Master Chef contestant who paid for a trip to the bottom of the sea on this thing. And here's here talking about that kind of like emotional bond that people form on this thing.
Speaker 3: Here instantly became family and that's something that you.
Speaker 1: Take away for life, correct And like, you know, that's a silly thing to say about spending eight days with a bunch of people on a boat, but I have no doubt that. After it's an intense peak experience. I'm sure she felt that way, you know, as there as they're all leaving from their time together. And Stockton understands this psychological phenomenon and he is he was making kind of very concerted use of it in order to pump his company. And this has made unsettlingly clear and how he responded to a lawsuit against Oceangate was launched in February of this year by a Florida couple who sued him for refusing to refund their one hundred and five thousand dollars tickets to see the Titanic in twenty eighteen. The trip was postponed repeatedly and they asked for a refund, and Rush keeps trying to get them on other dives. He's like, don't get a refund, just come out with us in a year, come out with us the year after that. You know, I can't give you your money back, basically, so they sue him. The case goes to court, and David Kinkannon, who is the ocean Gate company legal advisor, we heard from him earlier. He was the guy trying to blame the Coastguard for not working fast enough. He offered the federal judge who was hearing the case, Rebecca Smith, a free trip on Ocean Gate's boat to go down and see the Titanic, right like, as she's judged, He's like, look, judge, you can't properly, you know, adjudicate this case if you haven't been to see the Titanic, you know, why don't we take you on a free journey to the Titanic. Which number one seems illegal.
Speaker 2: Both in terms of bribery and now in retrospect, making credible death threats against a sitting judge seems like it shouldn't be a felady too.
Speaker 1: What's wild is according to The New York Times is reporting, she seemed down to quote, perhaps if another expedition occurs in the future, I will be able to do so, the judge road in May, adding, after here many years of hearing cases about the Titanic wreckage, that opportunity would be quite informative and present a first eyes on view of the rex site by the court.
Speaker 3: Fucking God. So, because this is.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, there's there's legal cases around like shit that gets pulled up like that's why they declared that they can't like sell random shit from the Titanic. They had to like take it all together, you know. They could sell like access to it as like a you know, we've got all this shit in Vegas. You can pay to go see it there. You can make money from that. But you can't just sell random shit that got adjudicated in this court, which is why when the Ocean Gate got sued wound up in front of this judge for whatever reason, she was like the district or whatever that they've picked for Titanic shit, and so basically like there was there was kind of a quasi justification. You can see the judge being like, maybe I should go, you know, maybe I do need to see the Titanic, but it's also clearly stocked and trying to get her in his weird little boat Colt, you know. And it's what's equally unsettling is that in this legal filing where the judge is like, this seems like it could be a good idea. There are serious unreported issues revealed with the titan Quote. On the first dive to the Titanic, the submersipal encountered a battery issue and had to be manually attached to its lifting platform. The company's legal and operational advisor, David Kincannon wrote in the document, which was filed in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the submersipal sustained modest damage to its exterior, he wrote, leading ocean Gate to cancel the mission so it could make repairs. So now it's it's it's it's cool that this judge was still like, I don't know, maybe I'll maybe I'll go.
Speaker 2: Oh god, no, no one can calculate risk, I guess is the clear lesson.
Speaker 3: They really like the Titanic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's the lesson of the Titanic. People are bad at calculating risks, And it's also the lesson of the Titanic fandom that they're bad at calculating risks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, as we've talked about in the ads and the pr materials, Oceangate made a big deal about the fact that their customers are citizens, scientists. One of the things that's weird to me about that David Pogue interview is that Stockton does not treat them this way when he's talking to Pogue.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: So we have clients that are Titanic enthusiasts, which we refer to as Titaniacs. Some of their Some of those folks are affluent and some are not. So we've had people who have mortgaged their home to come and do the trip, and we have people who don't think twice about a trip of this cost. We have one gentleman who had won the lottery. The first tickets had been sold for one hundred and five thousand, one hundred and twenty nine dollars, the inflation adjusted cost of a first class berth on the Titanic. But according to Pogue, then Stockton Rush saw how much people were willing to pay to go to space, and he thought, man, I'm leaving money on the table. So a couple of things there. Number one, it does feel like you're kind of tempting fate by being about, like, well, let's charge as much as it costs people on the Titanic to go die, you know see. But then to to both have like gone through that and then see Jeff Bezos fly people up and be like, oh shit, we can actually make way more money off these rubes. Right, very cool, great science that you're bringing these these these citizens scientists, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a scientist, a citizen scientist, get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna We're gonna do an expedition to see how much money I can make off of you. We're going to really expand the bands of the bounds of human knowledge are e how much cash I can take out if your fucking wallet. And again, I haven't actually found any evidence of like science that result from the trips that these guys did, because they took like twenty eight people or so down before this all went to shit. I haven't found evidence of like real science that they accomplished. But when you watch the ad, it becomes very clear that the primary purpose of the because they have scientists, actual scientists and other experts that they bring on every voyage and their job is to make these customers feel spending. Again, it's amazing they're LARPing, right. It's like if you brought in like it's like if you were doing I don't know, like a fucking Ukraine War larp and you hired some like actual veteran Ukrainian soldiers to come in so that like some fucking airsofters would feel like they've got the real trench experience, right, which I'm sure is going to happen in like six months, right, but yeah, I want to play you another clip here.
Speaker 5: Maybe best of all are the one on ones with experts like Commander Paul Henri Narjalais, leader of thirty dives to the Titanic rec site. He and other world class experts will be on all our missions to give you an unrivaled up close and personal Ocean Gate Titanic experience.
Speaker 13: So for me, it's very well done because it's simple. Lee's a lot of equipment and a lot of switch and on this one you don't have because you work with a screen and with a keyboard, and it's very easy to do that.
Speaker 3: If you are not only.
Speaker 13: Your passenger sit and waiting that the time is running and just looking outside, you can do something inside. You can be really a member of the team and are that great.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. It's like a checklist at the Rainforest Cafe. It's like a little scavenger hunt.
Speaker 1: It is sad, and it's like at one point, fucking Stockton gets asked like are you basically coming up with busy work and he was like, well, yeah, kinda yeah, yeah. They're all like seven year olds that you want to give them a job, hand them a fake self, let them pretend that they're they're taking an important.
Speaker 2: Note, a little little child steering wheel, like they can just turn back and forth.
Speaker 1: The French guy that we heard there was was Paul Henri Nargiolis or pH As like he tended to be called. And his nickname was mister Titanic because he's done more dives down to the reck side, or he had done more dives down to the reck site, like thirty five I think than anybody else. He was a subcommander for the French Navy. And when when when everyone died, folks were like, it's a bummer that this like working class you know, dude went down with them.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say, you know, cheer these deaths. Don't cheer these deaths. He was not like a he's not like a blue collar leather neck with like a copy of fucking Bruce Springsteen album in his in his in his hat band. In addition, he was you know, he's obviously he's He was an extreme, one of the most accomplished submersible pilots in history. He also like ran it started and ran several different deep sea like equipment companies which he sold. He was on the board of I believe it was an LLC that had the salvage rights to the Titanic. He was one of the guys when we talked about this process of taking a bunch of shit fifty five hundred items from the Titanic, which then wound up like touring Las Vegas and stuff as a thing people could pay to go see. He's helping to run the company that does that as well. You know, Bob Ballard kind of insinuated that this stuff was grave robbing. I'm not calling a dead man a grave robber. I don't know that Ballard was. I think it's his exact status within the industry is kind of unclear to me. But he's not just a working class subpilot. He was worth about one and a half billion dollars like this. He is also like an entrepreneur right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Nargalais is again definitely a respected figure for his diving acumen. I suspect one reason that he was brought onto the project is because he's huge within the Titanic superfan community. He's done so many dives down there, and his fame would act as an advertisement. Specifically, Nargalai's fame would act as an advertisement to the people who are like real big Titanic nerds, and David Pogue talks to one of these customers in his series, a woman named Renato Rojas. Renata worked for a bank. She I think probably would describe herself as like upper middle class. She's not a billionaire, she says, she's not even a multi millionaire, So I think this is someone who is well off, but not like a plutocrat, right, not someone who can like buy an election. But she's got enough that she could spend one hundred and five thousand dollars on this because she's kind of nuts about the titanium, right, which is one chunk of it. You know, maybe Stockton was lying when he said people mortgage their homes for this, but like that's not outside of the bounds of Like there's definitely Titanic fans who would do something like, you know, burn their life savings to get to go on this thing. Those guys exist too, which is interesting to me. And she makes the note or she says like when she's interviewed by Pogue, Pogue asks, like, when you told people that you were spending almost the price of a small house to do this one day trip.
Speaker 3: Did you get any reactions?
Speaker 1: And Renata was like, most people think I'm crazy by spending all this money and trying to go down to see Titanic. My response is, dreams don't have a price. Some people want a Ferrari, some people have children, some people buy a house. I wanted to go to Titanic, and I feel like, first off, I feel like that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's that's nuts, But also that's fine. Like, you know, if you if you're willing to die or risk death to go see this boat and you're willing to burn up all of your money to do it, sure, why not?
Speaker 3: Like really, when it.
Speaker 1: Comes down to it, I'm not going to get bent out of shape when you die. But like, okay, everyone has the right to want to love something so much that it kills them, even if that thing is a actively stupid.
Speaker 3: I do believe that, right, So I guess whatever.
Speaker 1: Now I will say I am happy that like when this thing went down, It's again, all of the people on this boat, with the exception of that nineteen year old, had the resources and the experience to know that what they were doing was silly and like they kill them right, all of them had the ability to be informed of everything. I brought up in this episode about how like slipshod this thing was. I am glad that like Ranata or some other harmless Titanic maniac was not on the sub when it went down. You know, it was people who absolutely had the resources to know better. I don't know, you can you can feel about that however you want, but it seems at least like less fucked up to me than if it had been a bunch of people who saw that the movie seventy seven times in theaters and like poured their pension into fucking Russian Gate. And the Titanic movie is kind of the thing that looms over all this hubbub from the day that it's sunk. The boat captured people's imaginations, both because of how many people died on it and because they were all rich and famous. There's all this mystery. James Cameron turned that fascination into a modern fandom, which I will say, I don't think it's cynical for James, Like he wasn't doing this to cash in on the Titanic, Like obviously he's obsessed with it too. He is the biggest of the crazy Titanic maniacs, right Like, does seem legitimate for him, But Ocean Gate definitely kind of callously cashed in on the film, and you can see some of this in the ad which apparently when you finish the dive, they would let you pose with like a replica of the heart of the Ocean and take pictures, which is both a fundamental misunderstanding of the movie. Right she like dumps it in the ocean because these guys are obsessed with it, and it's like disrespectful because of all of this person she loved died, All of these people died, and all they care about is this stupid piece of glittery jewelry, right Like, I think that's that's one of the things that Cameron is saying in the movie. And then they're like, hey, guys, pose with this thing. Take a picture with it right above the graveyard. Anyway, play the clip, Sophy.
Speaker 3: Next dive.
Speaker 5: Excitement, Thrills, an adventure on the high seas.
Speaker 4: I just loved every minute of it.
Speaker 8: It has exceeded anything I thought it could ever be.
Speaker 3: Titanic is the ultimate dream.
Speaker 14: I mean, this is definitely probably one of the most unique, interesting things I've ever done, even going to you know, I've been to Everest, but this is more unique this.
Speaker 4: Of course, guys spent Ever.
Speaker 11: I think there's more in the I think there's more in the clip, but of course that guy spent Everes.
Speaker 3: Yes, was the dream come true. But as I look at.
Speaker 14: This will no doubt be the best experience of my entire life.
Speaker 5: Come join us on our next expedition. Don't miss the opportunity to be part of history, the Ocean Gate Titanic experience.
Speaker 3: There's truly nothing else like it.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: That is true. There is nothing like imploding. You know, it is a unique you know, lots of people. Look, a ton of rich people know what it's like to die of gradual hypoxia atop Mount Everest. You know, very few rich people have imploded at the bottom of the sea. You could be one of the one of the few.
Speaker 11: Uh yeah, to mind blowingly uh like like they're like blissfully ignorant. They're like choosing to to not educate themselves, and it's like it's sad.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's also just you can see it's such like a he's marketing this again. He really is like a modern Hammond figure from the Jurassic Park. He's marketing this is like, this can be a part of the Oh your friends did Everest. You know, they paid one hundred grand or whatever it takes to like force to like make you know, they paid all that money to have locals like stop them from dying on the big stupid mountain that rich people want to climb because it's it's the one that rich people climb. Well, good news. You can impress your friends with the thing that they haven't done. You know, they haven't been Titanic yet, so you'll have loved him.
Speaker 4: Fucking l Ron Hubbard.
Speaker 1: First off, l Ron Hubbard absolutely would have loved this, and second l R H never would have gotten on that submer.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: If there was one thing that man.
Speaker 4: Understood, it was yah, you would have set children.
Speaker 3: A kid film it for him. Get one of my boys down there.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the fact that like like a Tom Cruise type or I guess Tom Cruise specifically hasn't been on this thing has to be due to the fact that scientology handlers literally googled this and when he inevitably was offered and they were like Nah, you're not doing this.
Speaker 1: I you know, I honestly, I feel like Tom Cruise never would have done something like all of the He's like James Cameron, Right, he'll do insane shit, that's a risk, but he's going to like do it methodically by best practices because he doesn't have a death wish, right, and he's not like there's a degree for whatever else is going on in Tom Cruise's head. He's able to rationally a praise risk to his body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, absolutely it's wild.
Speaker 1: But these people were not. Now I haven't seen like a perfect list of all the folks who went down on these trips or who had booked tickets. The success of their first trip to the Titanic in twenty twenty one brought a lot of new investments. That's when like they started really getting money like pumped into them. But from what we're shown on screening in the customer testimonials, I tend to suspect that the client list was an even split of like super rich people who are doing this to impress, just to impress their friends. Right, they're in the they're like Hamish was right where they have this their adventurer travelers right, they're paying for these kind of peak adventure experiences. And then the other half of them are crazed Titanic fans, some of whom are also super super rich, and some of whom are just kind of like normal rich, you know. So Pogue's story gives us some context on one of the crazy rich adventure seekers too. Most of our fellow expeditioners were rich people seeking adventure, like a hedge fund guy with his son, an artificial intelligence pioneer who'd sold a bunch of companies, and Shinrick Baldota, who runs a massive industrial conglomerate in India. Pogue, and you have a nickname, Shinrick.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They call me the wild Monk Pogue, the wild Monk Shinrick, Yeah, because I look like a monk. I'm very calm, but I have these dream interest that I do. Going to a live volcano in Vanadu two times, to an article on an edge of spaceflight. It's seventy thousand feet in the mid twenty nine, swimming with the blue whales, catching crocodiles in Botswana with National Geographic So like again, he's just like listing this like like a like a rich kidst like everything he got for his birthday that year. He's I got this, I get this, and I get to who is and you know, I get to go to space in a mid twenty nine May.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It really is like just like you know, toxic masculinity will continue to kill people, but this is genuinely pathetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's such an insult to like actual exploration. I think about like the Apollo like whichever I always forget was it eleven?
Speaker 3: I No, I wasn't eleven.
Speaker 1: That was the first one that actually made it there. But like the moon landing guys, right, all of whom had like one of the I think it was Apollo one, like it it fucked up on the landing pad and caught on fire inside and because there was like too heavy O two in the mixture, like all of these guys like burnt to death horribly, nightmarishly, and like the dudes who landed on the moon were their friends and knew that, and like and still knowing that, decided like, no, fuck this shit, we are like we are going to go into space and do this thing because it will expand the bonds of human like knowledge and achievement in a way that matters it's worth our lives to do this thing like this kind of like breathtaking and honestly to a degree like selfless willingness to explore, which is you know, you see the same shit with like Yuri gegaron right, it's like speaks to some of the best things in us, and then these guys being like what if we commodify, Like I am willing to commodify this. I want to buy a ticket so that I can pretend to be that guy. As long as you promise me I'm safe, you know, as long as like I get I want to afterwards, I'll play up the danger, but like I don't really want to die. There's a story that came out a couple of weeks ago about this this fucking I think he was an Instagram influencer who like did a bunch of mountain climbs with gram It. Maybe it was a TikTok guy, but like he was one of these dudes who does these like things in films himself, so everybody thinks that he's you know, like, oh, what a cool, adventurous life you lead, And like things went wrong on Everest and the one of the shrip is on his team carried him down the mountain on his back, which is that guy is risking his own life for you. It is so hard to save people on Everest, Like not only is like hiking down a mountain, like hiking down a gentle hill slope with a human being in gear on your back is a lot for most people. And this guy goes down Everest that way, and afterwards, this fucking influencer dude like blocks him on TikTok or Instagram whatever happy is because he doesn't. He's ashamed that, like the guy had to save him that, like he didn't get to pretend to be the big bold adventurer, Like it fucked up his brand that he had been saved by this. Like any reasonable person somebody does that for you, Like that dude's going in the will right, like you know, like you take care of Like that's like the most incredible thing a person could do for another person is like gamble their life to save you. And like it speaks to the attitude of these fucking adventure traveler, dark tourist freak gasp motherfuckers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it presumably has been what it's always been.
Speaker 2: We just now have like the evidence of things like blocking someone on Instagram or whatever that. Yeah, you know, it's not like they were. They were better before you got to imagine.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's not. I mean some of them were. I know the guy I think was Edmund Hillary, who was like one of the like he and Tenzig Norgay, who was a sharp like with a first summ at Everest, and if I'm not mistaken, they both worked it out to where like they basically would not let anyone know who was the first. That was kind of important to Hillary because he wanted he didn't want to just like for Norgay to get forgotten, right, because he was like, well, obviously I wouldn't have made it up without this guy. We did this together. Like again, the difference between an actual explorer, which Hillary for sure was, and what these people are doing. You know, it's even the difference between like fucking James Cameron and what these people are doing. Anyway, Big Jim, So what are we gonna do? So there keeps being stuff come out about this, Like right before this episode went out, I ran across the story about a guy named Arthur Loible who was He's one of the guys who went down to the Titanic with Ocean Gate. His first trip was delayed by five hours because of electrical issues, and the second dive was abandoned for unknown reasons. And then on on the Titans' fifth dive, which he was down for before it left, a bread from a balancing tube on the vessel broke off and they reattached it with zip ties and like you know, again, plenty of signs.
Speaker 3: Look, it's one of those things.
Speaker 1: If like Loibel had been on this thing when it imploded or Shinrik, you know, I don't think I would have cared too much about it, and I don't really I don't feel bad. Everyone here should have known what they were getting themselves into, and they made a choice.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, Hamish Harding made his money in the private jet industry and was a seasoned adventure tourist. He had every opportunity to understand this was a bad idea. I think he just wanted, you know, he was a gambler in a lot of ways, and I think he was kind of addicted to this. And I don't know about Nargalais Cameron. James Cameron didn't appearance because he and pH were friends and he was like I don't understand it, Like, it doesn't make sense to me why he did this.
Speaker 3: I don't know the guy.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze him. I did find interviews with him where he would talk about stuff like when he was at the bottom, you know, in earlier dives near the Titanic, he would find himself almost staying to the point where his batteries couldn't handle it anymore, or where like his oxygen was kind of low, and have to like force himself to come back up. He was just so entranced down there. And I don't think he obviously I'm not saying I don't think he was like suicidal, but he talked a lot about how you know, if it goes wrong, you're dead before you realize anything is wrong. He was an old man, he was in his seventies. I think he had just kind of made peace with the fact that this was what he loved and he would take do anything he could to get down there, and you know, if he dies, he dies. So I don't feel bad for him. Again, he made a a a certainly an educated choice to be in that situation. I certainly the only one I'm actively glad about is rush because he deserved he got all these people killed. He would have gotten more people killed, and he would have like become a made money helping to frack the planet if he could have.
Speaker 3: Like fuck, I mean, he's like, like he's.
Speaker 2: A very smirking piece of video to who really does just like this.
Speaker 3: You know, it's if you're not going to feel like any stuff.
Speaker 2: Like this is justified, you know, fine, But like the man was literally asking for it several times on video.
Speaker 1: Yes, he desperately what he begged the universe to kill him at the bottom of the ocean, and like, so I will say, the only person I really do feel bad about on that boat was Suliman Dahwood. It was that the nineteen year old son of Shazahwa Dahwood, who was a Pakistani billionaire. He was obsessed with the Titanic. He was kind of an adventure tourist previously. He desperately wanted to do this. One family source says that Shazada or that Suliman his kid, was like really scared and didn't want to do this, but like it was father's day. This was like kind of their father's day thing that they were doing, and he felt like kind of pressured to go with his dad. Another article I read said that he was going to try to like do a Rubik's cube at the bottom of the sea and like be the first person to do that. I don't know, Like I feel like he was the one who was both being pressured by his dad, which is not a situation. That's like most nineteen year olds are capable of being pressured by their parents and also not doesn't have the life experience to have known what he was getting himself into. I don't feel it all bad for the rest of them. They all made their bed and now they get imploded in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, I know that's that's like the clear dark moment in this and then everything else. That's really like, especially the more you learn it is like these people are unbelievably repellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they chose this. They chose to like make a dumb gamble. It's like feeling bad that somebody puts their life savings on like twenty one black on a craps table. Well, I guess that sucks for you, but like what did you did you really think that was good work? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, this is like this is like to put your money where your mouth is of like all my apes are gone, Like yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, are you laughing at the fact that, like, you know, somebody lost their life saving by by far.
Speaker 2: The least this time we could we could have a chuckle.
Speaker 3: You know what? Maybe maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: This is also one of the first episodes I've been on where something resembling justice happened.
Speaker 3: So I don't know where I am.
Speaker 1: Like one thing I'm frustrated about is that, from what I can tell, a lot of like mainstream sources are trying to portray him as like this this tragic figure where he was he just loved exploration. He was pushing boundaries so much, and you know, this horrible, horrible thing happened. We're like, no, this is the already of a drunk driver, right, Like this is like it's like if it's like if a guy like crashes his fucking car into a school bus because he's hammered, and he's like, well, he was boldly experimenting with how much cocaine and vodka he could manage a motor vehicle on. You know, he was pushing the frontiers of human knowledge.
Speaker 2: He's certainly pushing pushing, but it's like, come on, yeah, the fuckers.
Speaker 3: A dumb one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like what's the dumbest boat that you can get people killed on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like again, and you know the folks that are that all, they get all onry about like, well, people have died, so we have to like be super somber about it. You know, if that's the way you want to react, we can. But like I do, remember how the most popular thing on the old Internet was the fucking Darwin Awards, and say what you want about it. But sometimes people do stuff that makes it hard to be sympathetic for them, you know, like if you, if you, if you pay to compete in the International Russian Roulette Championships, I'm not going to feel bad if you.
Speaker 3: Yourself, you know, like you got you. You were the one who chose to do that, no one made you do.
Speaker 2: I think it's just like all the sympathy stuff, it's like that is so unbelievably asymmetric, you know. Again, I think my response to that, I think I said a last episode is like fine, if you if you don't think it's appropriate, you know, to quote hate these people. I just know that I personally love them less than anyone else who was inconvenienced unfairly ya this week.
Speaker 3: That's all. That's where I'm at. I love them less than that.
Speaker 2: I also love them less than any amount of money we spent trying to find them.
Speaker 3: But that's fine. Yeah, quote unquote.
Speaker 1: That's a whole that's that's a whole other conversation too, because like, I don't know, I think the coast guards attitude is reasonable where they're like, well, we don't we don't talk about like what it costs, like we are not We do not make rescuing people into like a you know, a cast benefits sort of thing, like that is not what the Coastguard's job is. I do feel like maybe we as a culture should have a conversation about, like when do we make rich people pay for getting rescued in situations like this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: It's probably good for the Coastguard to not ever think about things that way, right, same thing with like any kind of search and rescue people. Yeah, that's not what they're there for. It's like a firefight. Firefighter shouldn't be calculating, you know, to what extent is this how much is this house worth versus.
Speaker 3: How much is this costing?
Speaker 1: But like if you choose to live in the middle of like a fireplane and like burn your trash every day, maybe I don't know, maybe some of like if there's a fire, maybe you should get in trouble.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The counterpoint to that, though, is that like firefighters, maybe not individual firefighters or fire captains. It's not you know, they're not exactly calculating the value of a home, but the fact, you know, there is asymmetric service for different areas, and those just so happened to line up with race and socioeconomics. So like there's a world where like making it a soft policy that gets violated in like soft ways is actually contributing more to the inequity. Like again, lots of other people died even at sea last week, and you know.
Speaker 3: These guys for sure got top tier service.
Speaker 1: No, they got more money has been spent on them than has been spent like rescuing refugees whose boats you know, capsized in the Mediterranean. Probably ever, like maybe ever, and again I do think you know, look mea kopa here, I just spent a whole week talking about Stockton Rush. And it's because like I don't know, I thought it was interesting, and this is what I decided to read about. Course, right, there's an extent to which, like I was just follow the story because I'm fascinated by stories of like Hubris, like especially like tech Ass and Hubris. And at a certain point last week it was like, oh shit, I ran out of time to research anything else. I guess we're talking stock and Rush.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, what I do think is amazing about this is that it is like a perfect, perfect like Icarus story. Like it really is like the whole thing, like every beat down to the last beat. Yeah, like last story. Note, it's amazing if I may, it's anyway.
Speaker 3: Dickarus. Yeah's is all right?
Speaker 1: Well listen, folks, that's the episode. If people try to tell you, you know, this guy was an explorer, you can now tell them why they're wrong. But if a friend of yours, someone you know, or whatever brings up a conspiracy theory about how like these people got murdered, because it won't expose that the Titanic was blown up with a bomb to stop people from you know, opposing the Federal you know, uh or the FED or the moving away from the gold standard. Right, if you want to do that ship, if that's, if that's, if that's, if that gets brought up to you, just make sure that person knows that stocked and rushed his granddad or whatever was running bohemian growth. You know, throw that in there. You can add, you can make the problem worse. Why not at this point, Yeah, you know, might as well.
Speaker 2: Right, if they're gonna believe that ship, there's no saving them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give them, give them a little something, something more to think about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Andrew, anything you want to plus, Uh.
Speaker 3: That's it. Yeah, Oh, I'll just I'll just do a quick plug.
Speaker 2: I know we're off sync on timing, okay, uh yeah, let's see my podcast is you know.
Speaker 3: Is this racist? And we do premium episodes.
Speaker 2: Uh, you could subscribe at suboptinal pods dot com, which is where we do the non racist fun stuff.
Speaker 3: So uh yeah, if.
Speaker 2: You've enjoyed any.
Speaker 3: Of my bullshit, check it out.
Speaker 1: Please whoa, Yes, check out Andrew t guest Extraordinarior and the next time, the next time multi millionaire you know, son of an oil dynasty asks if you want to see the bottom of the ocean, you don't do whatever you want to do.
Speaker 2: I'm not your fucking dad, Like pretty sure Robert saw your dad.
Speaker 4: Okay Bye. Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.