Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's see if we remember how to do this. Come on in stay a while. Gangs all here on this Monday. It's our one, Dan and the Dan Ed's. How about roll call Fritzy. Let's go Seaton present, Marvin here, Paul present. Alrighty, We're ready to go the backroom. Guys, got a poll question, play the day stat of the Day. A little later on Steve Levy from the mother Ship, we'll recap the hockey weekend that seemed to overshadow the NBA. So Leaves will join us a little bit later on phone calls each seven to seven three DP Show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by but Ainy America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. This first hour brought to you by our friends at tire rack dot com. The way tire buying should be Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan the tire decision God really easy to use. Full lineup of Bridgestone tires special offers free road hazard protection and mobile tire installation. Ask about that at tire ac dot Com the way tire buying should be. All right. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, download the app if you haven't done so. And we say good morning to our radio affiliates Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio, and in some cities ESPN Radio, as well as we always do every Monday, Best and Worst of the weekend. We'll get to your phone calls. Also, we'll do fill in the blank and our Play the Day coming up as well the NFL combine later this week. The Rams have said to Matthew Stafford, go ahead, test the market. And if there's a franchise that knows about letting a quarterback go who is close to winning or has won, it's the Rams. They did this with Jared Goff, who had gone to a Super Bowl with them. They got Stafford in return. Now they're gonna let Stafford test the market and maybe you get his replacement. Maybe it's a Sam Darnold kind of situation where you go a little younger. And I'm sure with Sean McVay, Sean McVay probably thinks I'm the genius here. I'll turn somebody into a great player. But the Rams letting Stafford gauge the market. We'll talk about the potential options there. The Spurs have lost Greg Popovich and Victor wembn Yama for the year now. Popovich has been out for a long time with the stroke. Wem ben Yama has a blood clot in his shoulder. And because it's the Spurs and it's rare when they have news and they make it even bigger than what it normally is. If this was New York or LA or Boston or Philly, it feels like it would be a bigger thing. To me, it's scary because we've had Chris Bosh who had a blood clot that cuts short his Hall of Fame career. Here's ween ben Yama, who's twenty one, and the blood clot in your shoulder. Now I know it's not a knee or a foot for a big guy, but this, to me is it feels like it should be more concerning that. Maybe nationally it's playing. Here's the future face of the NBA, a player who I think will be the best player in the game by the time he's twenty five. This is worldwide and just feels like, oh, they shut him down and we moved on. Hey, let's talk about Luca's performance against Denver or the Knicks getting blown out, but wembin Yama done for the year, very very surprising with that news. Hopefully it's nothing, but then it could be something. It could be really, really something. So that was a little bit of a surprise. Alexander Ovechkin a hat trick and now thirteen away from topping Wayne Gretzky is the greatest goal scorer of all time. Not the greatest scorer, Nobody's going to get that, but Ovechkin is. He's chasing down gretz Cavs Celtic's thunder Nuggets all of one nine of their last ten. But the Nuggets did get roughed up against the Lakers. And the one thing I think we weren't fair to Luka Doncik about was the shock value of being traded by the Mavericks because he didn't know, nobody knew the next thing you know, you're being traded. He thought he was being pranked, thought it was an April Fool's Day joke a couple of months early. And I don't know if we ever gave him the time to get kind of acclimated to this. And that's what he was saying, it was like, you know, I haven't played very well, but I thought give ing two weeks to find out. You know, where am I living? He just bought a I don't know, fifteen or twenty million dollar home in Dallas. And then next thing, you know, hey what, Yeah, you're traded to the Lakers. No I'm not, Yes you are. And Lakers getting used to him, him getting used to the Lakers. And you saw that the other night against Denver. But here's the thing, and I know this sounds a little bold, but if they play defense, and I know it's a big if. If they play defense, they can challenge for a championship. They played defense against Denver, and that's JJ Redick devised a scheme where you're going man and zone, they double triple team Joker. They did an incredible job in Denver. They don't win in Denver, but see that gave me the Okay, can they do that? Now? Luca doesn't play defense, Lebron can This is where the younger guys really have to almost inspire the other players, Lebron and Luca to play some defense. Here. If they play defense with the other weapons that they have in the West they can challenge for a championship. Here is Luca on what the win against Denver does for the team. Corel confidence.
Speaker 3: You know, I remember when was the last time I won here? Is you know, it's very tough to play here against that team, so you know, just to one like that, it's it's an amazing win for us and gives me a lot of confidence moving forward. Like I said, you know, every day is going to get better. You know, I'm getting to learn learn the place, but I'm getting to learn that. But you know, us three, I think it depends on the day. You know, everybody has so much talent. So I think today the way we did, the way we shared the ball was amazing and the ball moving was amazing.
Speaker 2: And Lebron talked about Luca as well in kind of getting that chemistry.
Speaker 4: I'm a natural born wide receiver and he's a natural born quarterback, so it fits perfectly. I've been running the floor and running lanes like you know, pretty much my whole life, and he's been throwing great passes pretty much his whole life. So it's not it's not hard to get a rhythm when it comes to that. You know, it's just all about you know eye contact and you know him being a great quarterback like he is a meet beann recipient of it.
Speaker 2: And they got a pretty tough schedule coming up, some back to backs. But if they play defense, and defense to me comes down to do you want to play defense? Because if you're getting to the NBA, you're probably a really good athlete. And now it comes down to how much do you really want to play defense? And is it a team commitment? Also, your coach and JJ Reddick once again did a great job because you shut down Joker had seven seven field goal TEMs. He has that in a quarter. He has triple doubles before the end of the third quarter. They did a great job. Now is going to work against everybody? No, but can you find that sweet spot of this is who we are? These teams? Now? Golden State's looking for its identity with Jimmy Butler, who are you? What are you? And can you continue? They won three in a row and I think they're all surprised at how good Jimmy Butler still is. Is that enough? Now you're trying to figure out are we a three point shooting team? Like what is our offense? And having that strategy they have young players, but they're just young players. They haven't been great players. It's still Steph Curry, Steve Kerr, and I still think Golden State has one of those magical runs still left in them. Now, how long can that last in the playoffs? That's really the key.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Do we trust Oklahoma City? Okay, maybe to a certain degree, yes, But it feels like in Houston is sneaky. I mean, you may not watch them, you may not know them. Houston's good, and it's these who's built for a seven game series?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Who's built for the next seven game series? That's how you win championships. You want to make them match up with you. How are you with half court? Do you play defense? All the things that you know come into play every single year, and we get caught up in threes in offense, all of this, and it comes down to what matchups half court offense, half court defense. But a long winded way of saying, we got some I think some interest here. The Caves, the Calves are here for the long haul. Celtics as well, thunder Nuggets. Throw in Golden State and throw in the Lakers as well, and you know it'll be fun. Now, the Knicks got blown out by the Cabs, got roughed up by the Celtics as well, and we keep waiting to see, are you the best team of the East, second best team in the East, third best team in the East. So a lot of NBA that as we start to pick up a little bit here and maybe you know, we'll focus on that. You got the combine coming up, so once again here comes the NFL. You had your little window and I hope you're happy you got a little window here hockey in NBA, and now all of a sudden, the combines this week. Then we're gonna lead up to the draft. There's gonna be mock drafts. There's free a see Matthew Stafford. I mean, this is where you hold on for dear life if you're a sport that's kind of on the periphery. It's like, can we get just something the fact that the NBA overshadowed the NFL during the Super Bowl, but it took what is truly one of the blockbuster trades of all time with Luca, but it did it overshadowed because it was a Super Bowl matchup that we had had before a couple of years prior, And I don't know if everybody was all in on this, because you may not want the Chiefs to win, but I don't know how many people outside of Pennsylvania wanted the Eagles to win either. It's like, hopefully it's a good game, all right. Eight seven seven three DP show Best and Worst of the weekend Seaton Poll. Question for our one pole.
Speaker 6: Question for hour one, how about more cemented legacy Wayne Gretzky Michael Jordan, ooh.
Speaker 7: God, it's hot, scaldy hot.
Speaker 6: We were talking about it a little bit before the show today, Kenny. Obviously, with Ovechkin getting very close to passing Wayne Gretsky, Okay, but you're still nobody's going to doubt that Wayne Gretzky is the great one, the greatest of all time. It doesn't seem like Michael Jordan anybody's really going to be able to pass him either in terms of perception.
Speaker 2: Well, we won't let them. Correct, Yes, you have, you have Michael Jordan gatekeepers. Correct. Hey, don't you're not going in. Don't don't even think about Lebron. No, you're not going in. Nobody's going to go in there with Wayne. If I said how many how many Standy Cup Championships as Wayne won, Marvin four, but we don't know what I'm saying with Mike. Mike Hey won six. Wayne was you know, Edmonton had one of the greatest teams of all time, like Hall of Famers talent, and then he got traded to the LA Kings and really changed hockey. You want to talk about somebody who changed the game, he did. He helped expand it in the United States, Southern states where you would go hockey, but they embraced it because everybody wanted it. It's it's very similar to what Caitlin Clark is doing in the WNBA. You're starting to see a Boston once won Partly you know, everybody's kind of going, hey, we want one of those, you know, the Bay Area. Now you're starting to see that Wayne did that with hockey. We love basketball no matter where it is, and women's basketball still rates well when they're big games. But hockey, I mean, that's that's bringing in Canada's sport here and all of a sudden, we want to see Wayne Gretzky play for the LA Kings. It's pretty monumental when it happened, but you're seeing that with Caitlin Clark with expansion as well. So Wayne O doing that. I mean, Mike didn't change the NBA. Think he changed marketing, the shoe deals, but worldwide. You know, Mike had a large imprint on the game, like Steph Curry changed the game, probably more than Michael did from a playing perspective. That this is what Steph did, Like, we can't be Mike, but you can think you can be Steph. So there's a difference. Even when you watch Wayne play, you go, how does he get away with that? And if you ever stand next to him, you're like, damn, dude, you're the great one. But he did change the game. Mike did to a certain degree, but I think his is more global marketing. Steph changed the game from a playing perspective. What else do you have, Seeton.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're still never going to convince anyone that Michael wouldn't have won somehow twenty championships in a row if he wanted to.
Speaker 2: If you didn't play baseball, you would have won eight in a row. Trust me. Okay, he didn't win those yuses because he didn't want to. Actually, trust you, I don't think we look at Wayne the way we do Michael Michaels was about championships because statistically there were going to be better players, But as far as winning championships, he was six. And oh, Wayne, it was he's the greatest scorer. He's the great one. But I don't think we go, well, how many titles did he have compared to Lemieux or Messier or Gordi, We don't do that Wayna was just different and we had not seen somebody who had that ability to score and be as if John Stockton led the NBA in scoring, he was the all time leading scorer. That's what Wayne is. Wayne is the all time assist leader and the all time goal scorer.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pulling Oveska needs thirteen goals to pass Gretzky. It all happen in the next few weeks. He needs fourteen hundred more assists to pass Gretzky.
Speaker 2: With assistance, I don't think he's going to get it. I don't think so. You got a way of it, v Patient, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 7: Gretzky has two thousand, eight hundred and fifty seven points. In second place is Yager at nineteen hundred and Messy at nineteen hundred. He's a thousand clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but once again, fact just let that sink in. John Stockton would be the all time leading scorer and the all time assist guy at his size. By the way, crazy all right, just getting started. Great to be back. We missed you best and worst of the weekend. We'll get to phone calls coming up. We play fill in the blank a little bit later on, and we're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Cavino.
Speaker 8: And Rich talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something right, So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up as they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Does it take longer to get back into work mode or does it take longer to get into vacation mode? Because sometimes when you work and then all of a sudden you're going to go on vacation, and if you have kids, particularly little ones, and then you're like, hey, I'm on vacation, But it takes you a little while to ease into vacation, whereas does it take longer to ease back into work? I have a hard time with vacation because and certainly with social media now you can read, you catch up on everything, and then there are times when you go, oh, I wish we were still on the radio doing this. It's always there. It's a constant, you know. But with work, you know, you're back into it, like right away. Vacation is a little bit harder where you go because my wife would always say, hey, did you have a good time on vacation? Yeah, oh okay, it didn't seem like it, and being like, I think I did. You know, Sometimes after the fact, I'll say to my wife or my kids, man, I had a great time on that vacation. They're like you did, Like, yeah, I did. I had a great time. I don't know what you know we did on that vacation, but I had a great time, all right. Eight seven seven three DP show email address dpat dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. So Seeton, are we going to settle on that poll? Quint? You're gonna go? Would they? That's a banger right out of the gate with Gretzky and Jordan clicks.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, well I have another one. Here are the Spurs tanking for Cooper flag? That's ridiculous or obviously they can't. They can't win the lottery again they can, but that's they can and I believe they will.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Okay, I get the conspiracy theory, but I don't know where they Where are they as far as worst teams in ping pong balls and.
Speaker 6: All of that down, they're certainly the lower third of the West. Okay, no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah if they Okay, has anybody given this any thought? As crazy as this is going to sound, what if Cooper flag goes? I can must stand another year. I'm making, you know, probably three four million, five million whatever face the college basketball aside from Danny Hurley. But although that might be Rick Patino. Now I'm sorry, Marvin sorry, yeh.
Speaker 9: Mar Rick Patina is the national coach of the Year.
Speaker 2: He's done a great job.
Speaker 9: I don't even think there's really a second place. Everybody else the second place. What he's done with Saint John's is incredible. They haven't been good my entire adult life. Maybe the last time they were a real threat. I'll wait, yeah see yeah, So what he's done is incredible.
Speaker 2: Patino has If a coach can have nine lives, Rick Patino has had nine lives. He wins everywhere he goes. He's one of the great coaches, not basketball, great coaches of all time and you're seeing this with Saint John's beating Connecticut over the weekend. All right, so that would be the Jordan Gretzky Yeah, okay, yeah, the most greatest of all time. Whose legacy yeah more cemented. I would say Jordan because the sport is more popular for now. Yeah, but in a hundred years from now, do we look back on Wayne Gretzky's numbers and go like Babe Ruth. Although Babe Bruce's numbers have been surpassed, Gretzky's, you know, points total will never be surpassed, never, but goal scoring Ovechkin and we thought that that was you know, Mount rushmore of you know scoring, that was not going to be surpassed. But Ovechkin has been incredible. Although you might get that argument who's been better Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, And people probably would, you know, take Sidney Crosby as a better player, very close in total points, their careers have paralleled each other. You know, Wayne didn't really have a rival. I mean you had the Islanders, and then Edington came in and uh Messier coffee Grand feour h Glenn's uh say there, you know, we we were hoping Lemieux was going to be there. Uh, you know, health reasons. I think Lemieux could have been the greatest player of all time. I see a guy six ' four do what he did and the grace I thought he I thought he was destined to be the greatest player I ever saw. Uh did get see Gordy Howe at the end of his career, which was amazing? Got Roniic Finnin all there just a goal score the g Yeah, I mean, you know, Hall of Famer. Yeah. Uh, Messier, you can make a case greatest player of all time because he played both ways. I mean he was he did everything for you, great leader as well. But you know, I don't want to get I want to stay in my lane here. But just from what from what I witnessed, uh, certainly to be able to see Wayne win a couple of Stanley Cups. Uh so yeah, it's fun conversation, Yes, Marmon and basketball terms.
Speaker 9: Was Sydney Crosby supposed to be lebron as far as this is the next one? Was there big expectations on him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, yeah, we didn't know about Ovechkin like you did. But and then you didn't have the the Soviet players didn't get to play in the four nation tournament, which there were a lot of you know, Russian hockey players, which I don't know how they get around that. If they get around that, certainly where we are, you know globally with Ukraine and Russia, they may not be playing in the four nation but you know you missed out on some of those players as well. Yeah, paulm that tournament though, had everything. They had eyeballs.
Speaker 3: It was on ESPN.
Speaker 2: It was easy.
Speaker 7: It wasn't sixteen nations and you had to work through it. You got right to the final four. It's like we got straight to the good stuff.
Speaker 2: And there was something to play for. Obviously, you have the dynamics between the United States and Canada and booing the anthems bad blood, it's hockey. Then all of a sudden, you know, they drop the gloves as they get ready right off to the face off. Yeah. I saw where Chris mad Dog Russo said that it felt like it was wrestling, And I was going to say to Chris, why don't you take one of those punches and then you tell me if that's wrestling, that that was scripted. They were faking it. I thought it was great because it did Matt once again, this is what we care about. I think as fans all care about it. If I think you care about it, is it really important to you? How important is this? Is it fair to compare the NBA's All Star Game being lackluster and then you look at the Four Nation Tournament with the NHL. Yes, because you know, they were kind of connected as far as the timing of them. And we keep saying, how about the United States against the World in the NBA, and then you had that model, you know, a different model, but it turned out great that you played for your country. It was important. The you know, goes into overtime. I get had everything that you wanted it to be. Can you do that with the NBA? Well, the NBA has to get to this point and they have to say the following do we need to blow this up? Can we tweak this? Will it even matter? Are we just destined to be somewhere in between where we're not the Pro Bowl? Maybe we're Baseball All Star Game. I mean, maybe that's the best you can hope for. But if they don't care that, I don't care. I didn't watch the All Star Game because they don't care. So I'm I just I got to you know, I watched a little bit of the Slam Dunk Contest. I wanted to see if Mac mcclunk could do some different things. Okay, he's the greatest dunker of all time on in the dunkin contest, not in a game because he doesn't play. Yes, Mark.
Speaker 9: The thing about the NBA All Star Game is we don't even need to go through all these changes. If these guys during the summer, if you watch them play pick up basketball, that's all you want. You want them to play pick up basketball. They know how to play without hurting one another. You don't have to go all out because the outcome doesn't matter. It's never mattered. It's at least pretend or give off the illusion that you're playing some type of defense on somebody else. So you have to play all out like it's the NBA Finals or anything. You put a hand up in somebody's face.
Speaker 2: But you go back to baseball. In the All Star Game, it mattered because it was the National League versus the American League, and you didn't play each other. There was no inner league play. Therefore, there was a true rivalry. You wanted to show which league was better. Well, we don't have that anymore. You know, with the NBA, we don't have that anymore. If you had East versus West and you took pride in that, maybe, but they make so much money. All they want to do is be named to the All Star Team and not get hurt. I get all of that, but it feels like the NBA keeps trying to sell us the same thing. They just package it differently, Like, wait, I'm still getting underwear and socks for Christmas. Yeah, but look, hey, the courts reads going, yeah, this is great, isn't it, And you're like, no, But I would love to see the United States versus you know, the other countries combined. I think that would be fun. It would be different. Now, can you convince the Players Players Association? Also? You know, there's bonuses if you make the All Star team. You know, there's a lot of things to factor in. I get that. But if college football can go from four to twelve team playoffs, then I think the NBA can figure this out. And by the way, college football is going to fourteen and then to sixteen real soon, the NFL is going to eighteen games like Okay, come on, we can figure this out. Get some of our brightest minds on this. Hello.
Speaker 7: Yes, like the four Nations. If college football ran the four Nations hockey, it'd instantly be eight nations, then sixteen, then twenty four nations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they would want a couple of extra nations to get in there from the SEC in the big automatic bids yeah, automatic, yes, uh, all right, we'll get phone calls coming up. But I think the NBA you got to get to that point where you go, can we do this and will we care about it? Yeah? Point? Where do you guys?
Speaker 7: Weigh in on Mac McClung kind of being an NBA player, so he's eligible to be in the Dunk Contest, but then not playing again. He has played in one game for five minutes for Orlando this year to be eligible to be in the dun Cos.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you said, Sabrina and Caitlin, we're going to be in the three point shooting contest with the NBA, they played more, but I would be fine with that. I don't care. It's it's gimmicky, but they've made it gimmicky because they have to. There's there's nothing else to see I mean, look back on dunks before, you know, when Mike and Larry Nance and uh doctor Jay. I mean they're great dunks, but like, what are you remembering? I'll remember Brent Berry, a white guy with his warm up still on, leaving from the free throw line. I mean, let's be honest here, Mac McClung. It's a white guy who is jumping over cars. Now, there's creativity in that. But Nate Robinson did this. But Mac, you know you got a factor in uh, you know, the elephant in the room here, creative. He's really good at what he does, but not good. Isn't that amazing? You could be that athletic and you still can't play in the NBA. Pretty amazing. I mean, maybe he can play. I know he's got a little bit of run in Orlando, but he doesn't. You know, he's and he probably is gonna stop doing the dunk contest. Oh oh no, no no.
Speaker 7: McClung has played in five basketball games in four seasons of NBA.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's made one.
Speaker 7: Hundred and thirty thousand dollars as an NBA player. He's made three hundred and twenty five grand as a dunk contest champion.
Speaker 2: Static day stead of the day, stat of the day he comes that, what stat of the day. Yeah, maybe, on second thought, if he wants to get paid, he's gonna have to be. But if he can bring Jahn Morant out, that would be great. If Aaron Gordon comes out of you know, dunk contest retirement. Okay, let's be fun. I still think John Morant's the greatest leaper, Like that one shot that he blocks where he goes straight up and catches it off the glass or before it gets to the like it's one of those where you go, is he on a trampoline? But I don't know if he cares about that. I don't know, like the competitive juices that, hey, I want to be the best. I don't know if it mattered. It used to matter. The Dunk Contest was big, but you had Dominique in there, you had Mike, you know, you had Blarry Nance. These were all great dunk or doctor j Like you wanted to be the slam Dunk Champion, and then after that, nobody wanted to be in the slam Dunk Contest.
Speaker 9: Yes, Mars, yeah, really, all you need is one big star because if you look at the slam dunk contest. Even when Mike and Dominique were in there, you don't know the rest of those guys. Yeah, so all you need is like maybe one big star, like a Blake Griffin type or at least a great dunker and everybody else in the competition and you'll be all set.
Speaker 2: Well, you need to have guys so the really good guys can take a breather before they have to get back out there and dunk. So you need to have guys who you know they do some dunke it. It's just so Jordan can rast or Dominique can rest yes time and also.
Speaker 10: How far can you take it? We've seen jumping over cars and trucks and everything. You know, is there that much room left between that and what you can do? As far as in Evil Knievel got we're gonna put two cars together in three cars? When does it become like that's not that big a deal. We've seen someone jump over a vehicle, so, uh, is it interesting.
Speaker 2: If you don't have a big name, still impressive to jump over a car and dunk. His head is up by the rim. His vertical has got to be close to fifty. I mean, although Kenny Smith is a buzzkill. Oh, he is a buzzkill when he does the Slam Dunk Contest and he critiques and then it's like, oh, and Kenny was a dunker, so he can speak from experience, but it just feels like it's never quite good enough for Kenny. Never quite yeah, Marv.
Speaker 9: And there's been a couple of years, all right. So twenty sixteen, Aaron Gordon went up against Zach Lavigne. That's easily a top three dunk contest back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But other than that.
Speaker 9: Youet like Jeremy Evans when the Slam Dunk Contest. Even before that, Kenny Skywalker name my basket from Kenny Skywalker.
Speaker 2: I'll wait.
Speaker 9: So it's kind of stars and then it takes a dip. They stopped the dunk contest in nineteen ninety eight, so this isn't a new thing. Kobe won it in ninety seven as a rookie. There's a terrible dunk contest, and they stopped it in nineteen ninety eight, so this isn't a new thing.
Speaker 2: But I think Kobe wanted to win it because Mike won. I think Kobe was like, all right, I can do what anything Mike does I can do it, yes, Ton. I also wonder how.
Speaker 10: To contract the wording are affected by like a top line player participating in something where you can conceive it but get hurt trying to jump over a car. I suppose if mclung gets hurt, we'll be all right, be able to play next one.
Speaker 2: Well, that's on you, Like you if you decide to jump through a ring of fire, like that's on you.
Speaker 10: But there's still second half of the seasons to be played.
Speaker 2: Like when these guys, well they don't jump through the ring of fire.
Speaker 10: How are they not owners and gyms saying, you know what, it's cool for the league, but it's not good for my team. If you participating in this contest and tried jumping over a car and hurt your neck or your knee or something, so maybe we don't do that.
Speaker 2: Why do you? Why do you always go to that?
Speaker 10: I think it's very important. Is that part of the reason why some of the biggest names don't do it because they like to do it.
Speaker 2: They don't jump over cars. We've only had that a couple of times.
Speaker 10: No chance of winning unless you used to jump over through fire or something.
Speaker 2: I think they should jump through fire.
Speaker 10: They shared a hoop of fire.
Speaker 2: Yes, I tune in Ring of Fire. They play Johnny Cash perfect I fell into something else would impress us?
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, So you're saying if the lane were hot coals, you're tuning in. No, it's lava, lava like that TV show. Yes, the floor is lava. If you'd told me five years ago, Zion Williamson would never appear in a dunk contest because of mostly injuries. I don't know if he was ever thinking about it, but he had so many injuries earlier he couldn't do it and justify it.
Speaker 2: You have a Jamma Rant two. I'd rather see John Morant than Zion. I mean, Zion's power. John Morant would be different, But I don't you know, we got numb to dunking. We're getting numb to three point shooting. Oho. Kevin Durant said, Hey, you guys spend more time complaining about the NBA than watching the NBA. Kevin, you answered your own question. There there is reason to complain about the NBA. You're right, we don't want to, but there's reasons to. How about we take a break, play the day up.
Speaker 1: Next, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 11: Wapp Oh My God.
Speaker 2: Of the day. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 10: Check this out.
Speaker 12: How a park that comes to all that steady stars hate tennets HiT's a hot tuck for all Dutch Ganner tie em person stick park come a center point shot of tempts and a Dutch stand with that hot wrench inst eighty two. You gotta speed here to believe.
Speaker 2: Its Play of the Day that's brought to you by w jfk FM. Ovechan has scored on one eighty one different goaltenders, the most of any player in NHL history. Do you start to brag if you're one of those goalies where you go, yeah, like a pitcher who gave up Bonds home run or pitcher gave up Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron. Yeah, eh uh he got one by me. Play of the Day brought to you by Maco. Need a little TLC with your car. They bring your car back to life with affordable paint choms like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Mako Buddha in San Francisco, leads us off. Hi Buddha, what.
Speaker 13: Up VP Man? I miss you guys like I miss Kobe.
Speaker 10: Dan.
Speaker 13: Welcome back boys. I hope you enjoyed your FEA smoke pinot Dan, and uh, you know I actually miss Frizzy.
Speaker 11: Let's go, Let's go, let's go, DP.
Speaker 13: I have some breaking news for you guys.
Speaker 11: But first five minute pul question.
Speaker 13: I was watching the MAVs and the.
Speaker 11: Doves yesterday and he got me thinking, not.
Speaker 13: If Dan, but when Steph gets his statue, do they go with his like the replica of his like you know, sure shooting form from three? Or do they go with his now iconic night night gesture because like he cemented that with his Olympics.
Speaker 11: Performance, and I mean people, they copy that across the landscape.
Speaker 13: Landscape of sports. Now so interested to see what you guys think. But the breaking news, Dan little Hert, a restaurant in Redwood City just turned one years old. Ye we've already we've already started corresponding with all the happenings that will come with Super Bowl sixty here in San Francisco and the imitation to come out and hold court out here. Dan on the Silicon Valley Riviera is still on the board.
Speaker 11: Plenty of room for you guys. You can live it up on the marina, be close to the super.
Speaker 13: Bowl venue, and so maybe the big german can come out and scope out the landscape and see what do you guys all think about it?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Buddha. I think if when they have Steph Curry statue, I want to see his shooting form. That's what I want to see. I don't want the night night. I want the shooting form because that, to me, it's just classic. That's how you shoot. Right there. You can bring your kids over. Hey, we're going on a school trip. Where are we going. We're going to go and look at somebody's shooting form right there. That's how you shoot everything perfect. Yeah, Paull, So his statue, he's got to be kind of in the air. Yeah, is the ball gone or is it still in his hands? Because if the ball's gone, they got to hover that as well.
Speaker 7: How are they doing that.
Speaker 2: That ball is never in his hands that when he gets ready to shoot, right, I don't know. Maybe you can make a statue where the ball just moves a little bit like slightly going out of his hand, the release like a water fountain.
Speaker 7: Yeah, petrol just flying out of his hands and he's got to be up about ten twelve inches a lift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the follow through.
Speaker 10: Mouthpiece in your mouth kind of which is, what do you do with the mouthpeas?
Speaker 2: Damn are you old?
Speaker 10: You are partially out of his mouth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's actually an insult to old people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whoa to us old people. Gus in La Hi, Gus.
Speaker 5: Good morning, mister Patchers. Hope you're in the boys in Georgia week off. Good to have you boys back. All right, let's get into the best of the weekend, my Lakers. I told Tyler, I'm sitting in front of my TV on Saturday night and just like say, like a little prayer. I'm like, just don't get blown out. Please, don't get blown out. I like can't deal with it. And then them to everyone's surprised, we go in there and smack the hell out of a fully healthy roster Denver Nugget squad. I'm not I'm not throwing.
Speaker 14: The parade down to the pulvida yet, but it was a very pleasant surprise to see it. Question I have is at what point I'm not saying that they're gonna, you know, win the championship. But at what point does the national media turned to JJ Redick and say, hey, we got you wrong, we had you figured wrong. I get that he's got Luke and Lebron, but at what point do we there's the next one. Media go okay, it looks like you did know what you were doing.
Speaker 2: Gus, relax, just just get away. How about how about a playoff series win?
Speaker 14: Yes, yes, plaster is with but Darvin Ham never smacked around the nugget by twenty three.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're JJ Reddick, you shouldn't be compared to Darvin Ham. I give you a better than Darvinham. If you're JJ Reddick, you want to be compared to some of the great coaches. But thank you, guys, Gus already starting the parade route. Yes, Marvin, yeah, we stop the comparisons. When JJ Reddick called the time out, wow wow, Okay, Darvin Ham got fired. Okay if the job was too big for him, JJ Reddick never had any coaching experience. I think people were probably saying, did he get the job because he's Lebron's fent. Well, he's a very bright mind, very bright minded guy. We're starting to see that that rotations, timeouts, defense, like that's what you're supposed to do. He could be the West Coast version of Eric Spolstra. Well, but yeah, there's a lot of pressure on him. And I thought that if you're going on what they did in Denver where they don't win and they played defense and they had a strategy against Joker, that's all I'm saying. They can compete for a championship. I truly believe that they can. But Lebron's got to stay healthy. You know, what's Luca's condition going to be?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you continuing to get contributions from Austin Reeves? Reeves has been great, but you know, the West is not easy. Where's the East? Feels like it's a little top heavy. The West. You've got six teams that might be able to win it all. But JJ Reddick has done a very good job so far. If he bowls out in the first round, are we going to go?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 2: He did a great job. It's la not about the regular season. Our two coming up? Where is Matthew Stafford going to end up? Who are the Rams going to bring in more of your phone calls? Each seven to seven three DP show Hour two on the Way. Right after this