Speaker 1: On this week's episode of Cultivating Her Space.
Speaker 2: Eighty percent of Black women at some point in time we'll have a fibroid. Less than one percent of our federal research dollars goes.
Speaker 3: To understanding fibroids.
Speaker 2: So part of that right is that while this is a problem that Black women predominantly suffer from, it's not. We're not the only ones, but we are disproportionately the ones really dealing with the most severe kinds.
Speaker 3: That's not what we focus on for research.
Speaker 4: Hey, lady, have you ever felt like the world just doesn't get you? Well, we do.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Cultivating her Space, the podcast dedicated to uplifting and empowering women like you.
Speaker 4: We're your hosts, doctor Dominique Brussard and educator and psychologists.
Speaker 1: And Terry Lomax, a techy and transformational speaker.
Speaker 4: Join us every week for authentic conversations about everything from fibroids to fake friends as we create space for black women to just be.
Speaker 1: Before we dive in, make sure you hit that follow button and leave us a quick five star review.
Speaker 5: Lady, We are.
Speaker 1: Black founded and black owned, and your support will help us reach even more women like you.
Speaker 4: Now, let's get into this week's episode of Cultivating her Space.
Speaker 1: If you want more speaking engagements, collaborations, or visibility for your brand, I gotta tell you the truth. This is Terry Lomax and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've lended national media, a TED Talk, and six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for. Here's the truth. Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework, everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines, and the Saucy Solutions framework, visit get that pitch dot com for a limited time use Cold her Space for a special listener discount. If this is your year to stop hiding and start getting booked. I'll see you inside. Visit get that Pitch dot com or click the link in our show notes. Lady, Today's episode is for you. If you've ever googled your symptoms because your doctor brushed them off, if you've normalized pain you shouldn't be living with, or if you just want to know what real advocacy sounds like in the doctor's office, this is for you. Today's guest is a gynecologic oncology surgeon, research and leading expert on black women's reproductive health. Born in Nashville and raised by Nigerian immigrant parents, she has spent her career exposing the racial gap and gynecologic care and treating conditions including endometriosis, fibroids, and heavy bleeding that disproportionately harm black women. There is so much more we could say about doctor Kimmy Dahl, but we'll let you hear it from her. So, doctor Kimmy Dall, welcome to cultivating her space.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. I am happy to be here. I'm happy to be amongst the black girl magic.
Speaker 4: Let's do this, Yes, yes, okay, So we are going to dive into our quote of the day. Now, doctor Kimmy, this quote will sound really familiar to you because it is from the dedication in your book. Okay, okay, to all who cramp, bleed, and endure and those who love us, it's time for a new story. So doctor kim you, when you hear your dedication, like when you hear that read back to you, give us some context of what inspired this to be the dedication in your book.
Speaker 2: I think so so many times we can get caught up in kind of labels of things, and a lot of times, I mean, medicine is basically organized by labels diagnoses, do you have X or y? And then we also we can get caught up and confused in labels of you know.
Speaker 3: Whether I'm normal or not normal or whatever. And so.
Speaker 2: I for the dedication, I wanted to reach I wanted to reach people without any of those labels, to just call a thing what it is. Because we have so many euphemisms, We have so many ways of not saying what is actually going on, you know, like ooh my period something else, Oh you know, I'm going through it. We have all of these ways, and so I just wanted I wanted to like break through and give a sense of no we're going to actually talk about the thing.
Speaker 3: And I thought the most simple way to do that is to just name it. What do we do? We bleed, we cramp, and we endure.
Speaker 2: So we need a new story and everybody, and I wanted everybody who loves us to feel a collective sense of responsibility.
Speaker 1: We are going to change this. That is so beautiful and what a great way to start this conversation. So, doctor Kimmy, when you think about the black woman listening to this episode, and if that woman could only remember one thing from our conversation, what would you want.
Speaker 5: That to be?
Speaker 3: That just because just because we have lived with something doesn't mean that we have to. You know, just because we can endure does mean that we should.
Speaker 2: And it's okay to recognize that you might have been taught to endure as the tool to deal with your womb health.
Speaker 3: Instead of seeking good womb health. I think that's the biggest thing. I think.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know any black woman who actually wants to suffer. I've never met somebody who's like, I'm really into suffering. I say it all the time. Nobody ever came into mc clinic and like, I really want to be in more pain. That is my goal here, you know, or God forbid, with a cancer diagnosis, I would like to die. Nobody says that, right, But what happens is that we have an insane.
Speaker 3: Ability to adapt and to just handle it.
Speaker 2: And that is why often we don't even know that there is help out there, because this is just the way it's always been. This is what my mom taught me, my sisters taught me, my auntie's taught me. So I think that's what I would want women to walk away with. Is Well, just because you've lived with it for ten years, twenty years, doesn't mean it has to be your normal.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you for that and thinking and yes, thinking about not living with something that is your normal, and taking into account the stories of our moms, our aunties, our sisters. Let's go back and doctor Kimmy, can you tell us your origin story and how did you become what inspired you to become the doctor Kimmy that we see today?
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: What's so funny is that.
Speaker 2: Up until very recently, I would have just told you I'm just I'm just at every step of the way, I'm just choosing what most trust me. You know. I went to medical school, and then I said, wow, I really want I really like women's health.
Speaker 3: I went into obgi N.
Speaker 2: Then I realized, Okay, I really like this, but I'm really called by the gynecologic cancers and also by research because I'm trying to understand what's going on with black women.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 2: And I would have just told you the story about how I'm just following my instinct for what is interesting to me and where I think I can make a difference. But the way I would say it now is that I feel like this was the assignment. Like when I think about my grandmother, when I think about the lineage of my family and what the women have gone through generation after generation, I would say that I think this was set in motion before me. And there's a reason why I was always drawn to women's health. There was a reason why I was drawn to womb health. There was a reason why I was drawn to research and science and statistics, and that I was born a black woman here in this society watching all all of this happened. So my origin is that I've always followed where my literal intellectual interests lied and where my heart was, which is taking care of women and trying to understand the uterus and womb conditions and diseases. And I've always felt that I wanted to use whatever skills that I have for our community, for our greater good, for Black women and personally, when I realized how much I was adapting to suffering in my own life. When I was in my mid thirties and was diagnosed with endometriosis because I was on a table getting cut open for a C section to have my first child, and that's when they saw all the scarring and my pelvis and my abdomen, and they said, wow, you have endometriosis. You must have painful periods. Meanwhile, I was already a board certified OBGAA, so I knew all the criteria. Why didn't I think I had endometriosis Because I never thought my pain was bad enough. I just oh, I mean I can still function, and I'm saying I'm still going to work. I can still make it happen. So I think my origin is not just all the training right, not just all the interests, But I had these things happened to me too, And I think it's different from speaking from some outside perspective like the doctor says we should do this to me saying, listen, I did this too. I know exactly what it means to think everything's fine and you find out that you know, your blood count level is like severely below normal, and you're like, oh, you should be on the floor, but meanwhile, you just cook it. I don't even know if I answered the question, but that's how I would say. That's where the origin of all this comes from. You know, it started before me, and I've always just been true to what I'm most interested in, and that's led me to serving black women in this way.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for sharing that. And I, as you are sharing your story, I'm thinking about the fact that when I don't know the data and statistics, but I'm sure you can educate us on this. I'm thinking about the fact that you just shared your story, and I'm sure there's more to your story regarding endometriosis and Dom and I. We have three black women right here in this conversation. I'm always sharing this because Dom and I have both been vocal about our experiences on the podcast. But Dom having had fibroids and hysterectomy, myself having cystic ovaries, being diagnosed with pea cosse having infertility issues.
Speaker 5: Thinking about the fact that with three black.
Speaker 1: Women in the space together, and this is what we've all experienced, why does that tend to be the case with black women? Like, what's happening to cause this stuff?
Speaker 3: Thank you so much?
Speaker 2: First of all, this is and this is the norm, and I think this is part of the reason why I wrote the book and why literally the subtitle is the Hidden Crisis, because it's hidden in plain sight. You cannot It's like, you can't gather more than five black women and not have the majority have womb issues. I'll lay I will stand up because every room I go into is the same all. It doesn't matter why I'm there. I could be there because i'm my son's soccer game. If there are five black women in the room, You've got endometrisis, you've got fibroids, you've got heavy bleeding. So it is the truth. It's not a coincidence here. So why is that is a big question, and I'll answer it. I'll try to answer in a few different ways. One reason that we need to understand is part of it is decades of neglect of gynecologic research and care right not just treatment, but also research to understand the conditions that disproportionately impact Black women. So we still have more questions than we have answers. Eighty percent of Black women at some point in time will have a fibroid. Less than one percent of our federal research dollars goes to understanding fibroids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Part of that, right is that, well, this is a problem that Black women predominantly suffer from. It's not We're not the only ones, but we are disproportionately the ones really dealing with the most severe kinds.
Speaker 3: That's not what we focus on for research.
Speaker 2: Same thing when we look at the other issues in endometriosis, the majority of the research for a long time was focused just on fertility, and endometriosis was considered a disease that predominantly affected white women. When black women had pain and signs of endometriosis, it was called pelvic inflammatory disease and you were treated like you had an STD.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. This has been documented since the seventies, and in fact, up until the point when I was in training, I was still taught that endometriosis was more common among white women, which is not true, but that's always taught because again, we don't investigate it to look for it among black women. So one of the reasons why all these things, like you said, are like so common is literally because of the neglect, right, Like, if you don't do something about it just continues, it just continues. People pass it down. We don't have any treatments, we don't have any interventions. There's another reason though, which is that it's a broader kind of conversation. So I would I would kind of think of it like the commonality.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of.
Speaker 2: Conditions, like kidney conditions, people have heart conditions, we have lun conditions, people have all these things. Right, when there is research in things, you start having screening protocols, you start having treatment early, we start having prevention, you know, strategies got womb health outside of pregnancy overall has been neglected. So we're just getting to the place where people are like, you know what, wouldn't it make sense to start doing research on fibroid prevention? You know what, wouldn't it make sense to start understanding what are the like antecedent risk factors for some of these things. So I do tell people like this is what misogyny leads to, right, this is what sexism leads to, because if women are only reproductive vessels, then we don't care about what's going on with women outside of the act of having a baby and reproduction outside of that.
Speaker 3: Good luck.
Speaker 2: So it is only I mean, it's very recently that there has been real concerted, significantly funded labs, multimillion dollar research, like people really focused on how do we really disentangle these conditions and improve them? And then last thing is racism. So racism makes everything worse for multiple reasons. But there are some things that we will inherit. Okay, So there are some I think cancer is a good example because people really think of kind of like cancer runs in my family.
Speaker 3: Cancer.
Speaker 2: Okay, even with all that you hear about cancer running in people's families, which is the same with fibroids, by the way, it's the same with indometriosis, et cetera. Only twenty percent one in five of all cancers are actually like identifiable by oh, this is the gene that you inherited. You inherited this gene, you inherited this thing. Most of what happens is it's a combination of susceptibility, so you're maybe you're vulnerable to developing something combined with environmental factors that we still are piling back. And when I say environment, I don't just mean like the air, you know, like the grass chemicals.
Speaker 3: I mean the whole environment.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact that children who are sexually or emotionally abused have higher rates of fibroids later in life by seventeen percent. That's what I mean by the environment. I mean the literal our lives and how they're impacted. Right, So we know this in other areas, there's something childhood adverse. Childhood experiences the aces, the aces are related to disease conditions later in life. There was a study just published last week about poverty getting ingrained into the brain early on. Yes and jamma. So this level of like how do we disentangle are very complicated environments, all the different things that could happen to people. To start to understand the A to B, to C to D of the development of these conditions is something that is newer research. But we're I mean it's active, but it's newer, and science takes time. So hopefully that gave you like a lot of different reasons. Yeah, but when we see what happens with black women disproportionately, I say, well, that's because we have disproportionate negative experiences, disproportionate negative exposures, disproportionate vulnerability.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that, that very thorough and very real explanation. And so one of the things that you mentioned was cancer, and you mentioned a number of other vocabulary words I did. Sorry, we want to that you know, some of us are familiar with, but unfortunately, so many of us aren't familiar with a lot of the terminology related to our gynecological health. Yes, and so so you men cancer, and I want to talk about I want to ask you about uterine cancer and what's the difference between uterine cancer and endometriosis and fibroids and pcos which now, as of a couple of weeks ago, has a new name yep. And so can you break down some of the more commonly used terminology.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So it's a great point, right going back to what we do and don't teach our little girls. You know, a little girl has a period, the first thing she learns is how to keep it a secret?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Does she.
Speaker 3: Learn the names of her organs?
Speaker 2: Does she learn what health looks like. Does anybody even ever sit her down and say, hey, by the way, this is what a normal period is in case you ever bleed for more than seven days anyway, So I get why people don't know. I'm just sharing that because it's like, we have to. I want to normalize that. Like I have been across from highly educated, multiple doctoral women in the room with me with conditions, and they don't know these things either. Part of Ryer wrote the book, Okay, so we have to start with some anatomy. So our reproductive system is made of different organs that are all close together. So we have our uterus, or the womb, which is where a baby would grow if you're pregnant. The womb that's also where all of the stuff in terms of your period happens, in terms of the bleeding and the shedding. The outside of the womb, the doorway to the womb, is called the cervix that actually sits in your vagina. So when somebody's looking at your vagina, they can see your cervix. Your womb is on the inside of your body, we can't see it. Then there are your tubes, and then there are the ovaries. So these things are all connected, but they're not the same thing. And the analogy I like to make is like your eyes, your nose, your mouth, your ears are all on your face, all on your head. They are not the same organ. So here's your first warning flag for whenever you hear somebody some of our friends on the internet talking about womb health and they're acting life all these things are all the same, that should be a red flag because that is not the case. You would not give put something that's supposed to treat your nose into your eyeballs and vice versa. So let's be a little bit more up on the language. So when you ask me what are the differences, here are the differences in some of the things that you said. Endometriosis is when the lining on the inside of the uterus, so that there's a lining called the endometrium. It's when those kind of cells they start growing outside of the womb or outside of the uterus, and then they do exactly what they would normally do, which is that when you are on your period and they get hormonal signals, they grow, they and then they bleed, except they're not bleeding out of the vagina. They're just bleeding in the body wherever they are causes a lot of pain, It causes a lot of scarring. It changes your sensory nerve endings, which is why endometriosis is really like a neurosensory pain condition that's chronic over time. PCO, which is now PMS poly metabolic ovarian syndrome, starts with an issue. It starts with an issue of your metabolic system not interacting ideally with your hormonal system. So all your systems are usually like constantly imbalanced, and PMOS they like just they don't talk to each other, right, So what happens is that your hormonal system is kind of out of balance, your metabolic system is kind of out of balance. To try to put it as simply as possible, When these things work together, it's kind of like your body has just enough hormones that it needs and no more than it needs, and also your sensitivity to those hormones is correct. With PMOS, your sensitivity starts to change, so that at other you'll have the same hormonal levels as other people, but the impact on your body will be totally different, which is why instead of making one follicle every month, you make fifteen it's like, girl, what is happening?
Speaker 3: That's PMS.
Speaker 2: And then we have fibroids. Fibroids are actually really interesting. I'm trying not to be like too sciencey here, so y'all just stop me, but they're very interesting because what a fibroid actually is is that the uterus has three layers. The middle layer we already talk about the enemytram, the inner layer. The middle layer is muscle. This makes sense, right. You think about a uterus that's pushing a baby out, a cramping that you feel, right, it's literally a muscle that's contracting. You know what a fibroid is. It's one of those muscle cells went left. One of those muscle cells was like, you know what, I don't like this, and instead of being a growing in orderly sheets like it's supposed to, it just grows in this like convoluted ball and it creates this hard ball of muscle and like calcified tissue.
Speaker 3: That's what a fibroid is.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at down some reaction like aha, I know that life, Like.
Speaker 1: God, this sounds so uncomfortable and so painful, and wow, I'm just taking to everything that you shared.
Speaker 3: No, I know it is uncomfortable. You get you.
Speaker 2: I think, y'all correct me if i'rerom I actually think when you can visualize, like when you can listen and visualize this is what these things are, it helps you understand yourself better and it helps you not gaslight yourself because you're like, no, it's not just like, oh, it's a little bit more crampy.
Speaker 3: It's like this ball.
Speaker 2: It's sitting in the muscle layer and it's hurting, like have you ever had a knot like in your in your shoulder and.
Speaker 3: You're just like, oh, and it's it's achy.
Speaker 2: Think that's what's happening in the womb with the fibroids and the muscle layer.
Speaker 4: Okay, and imagine heaven at least ten of them. Yeah, and some of them they can range in size from like a kidney.
Speaker 2: Bean to a grapefruit yep, bowling ball, yep, a baby. Yes, they can be That is so right, Okay. And then finally, just because I want to make sure we finish with the cancer. The cancer is when uterine cancer and this is the difference between you uterine cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is a cancer of that doorway to the womb that sits in the vagina that we can all see. That's why you can do a PAP because you look in the vagina and the cervix is right there, and you take the cells and you see if they have cancer or not. Uterine cancer, womb cancer is a cancer inside the womb. You can't see it on a path. It's all the way inside. That's why it's different. And that's why I try to emphasize this is because people think if their PAP is normal, they don't have any worries about any cancers down there. But meanwhile, uterine cancer is actually much more common than cervical cancer, and is it disproportionately impacts Black women like to an extreme degree, and is rising. So we can talk more about that. But it's why it's important for us to just start vocalizing this since we still don't have a public health education campaign around uterine cancer, which is far overdue.
Speaker 3: Anyway, y'all ask me another question. I'm talking too much.
Speaker 5: No, No, you aren't doing great. This is amazing.
Speaker 1: I've just taking it all in and I'm just like, I have so any questions, but I wanted to just say thank you for the way that you're breaking this down.
Speaker 5: The visuals are really helpful.
Speaker 1: Thank you for also calling out the environmental factors because I did have a hunch. No one ever told me this, but I had a hunch that childhood trauma, sexual abuse was tied to some of those things.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: And the fact that you gave like you gave that a voice. It's so important. I want to talk about the earliest warning signs of uterine cancer. But really, I know this is a lot, but like all of these things, because I'm living my life, I'm getting my papsme mirries, right, the doctors say at this point, like you get it once or twice, it pays and change it. Right.
Speaker 3: It changes in your age, it changes with your age.
Speaker 1: You get your paps and you're like, okay, cool, I'm going up. But like, what are some of the earliest signs of having any of these conditions?
Speaker 2: I like to just start with, like, can we just start to define some norms, right, because we because the thing is, we learn normal in gynecology, So this is where I critique my field. Right, So we learned this is this is basically what a normal cycle should be. This is the range, this is how much blood all this, But then we wait until you complain before we do any kind of investigation to see if there's any issue, which is why I'm so vocal about us having to say, wait, I don't need to suffer. So what would happen with me is they would say, do you have any problems with your periods? And my answer would be no, what I don't have problems. I'm managing right. I am swallowing.
Speaker 3: Thirty ibuprofen pills over the course of three days. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I am strapping a heating pad to my pelvis just to be able to move around on the worst days of cramping. You know, I'm wearing double extra pads because I'm having such heavy bleeding. It's out of control. All this stuff. But do I have a problem. I mean no, I'm functioning. I'm not dead. And also, as a black woman, the threshold for me having a problem is basically being on the floor, like, what do you mean? Like, I can't have a problem. I don't get to have a problem. That's why it's called a terrible strength. We have to be strong. So what where I want to start people is recognizing that you might have this is why you might have been abnormal for so long and you don't know it because nobody has really sat down and been like, this is what's normal. So here are a few things that are normal for a period. One should never last more than seven days.
Speaker 3: Number two.
Speaker 2: Most periods are between every like the frequency is between twenty one to thirty four days apart. So I'll have women have women have come up to me at the book tour stop so they're like, you know, I only get my period like three times a year. I'm like, pause, what do you mean. They're like, yeah, I mean it just doesn't come that often. So I don't really have issues with it. No, because unless you're on a medication, which is different. Unless you're on a medication, that is that is it. That is the cadence of periods that you're supposed to have between you and your doctor because you are on a medication. If you and your naturalness of your body are only having three to four periods of year, that is very abnormal. And the reason why I care even more about it Terry and doctor dom is because it's a risk factor for uter in cancer later in life. Oh yes, So so anyway, so between twenty one to thirty four days. So that's a parameter right there, No more than seven days. Number three, you should not be passing blood clots bigger than the size of a quarter. Mm hm exactly. Most black women give me that look when I say that, So you can pass clots, they shouldn't be larger than the size of a quarter. So if your routine is like, girl, a quarter, try my palm, I'm concerned, right too.
Speaker 3: Big. Number four. When they looked, they looked at a lot of women.
Speaker 2: They were like, they're like thousands of women because we're trying to get what the norms are. By the way, nobody made up these norms. I probably should have said that this isn't some This isn't like a group of white women, I mean white men in a room saying this is what's normal, because sometimes I get why that would be not be great. This is actually looking at tens of thousands of women, getting what their cycles are, and then measuring their blood levels for the normalcy of their hormone levels in addition to their blood count, like who is anemic, who is not?
Speaker 3: So these were the parameters where they.
Speaker 2: Were like, all these people have normal hormonal cycles, they have normal blood flow, They don't.
Speaker 3: They're not losing too much blood. Like this is where it came from.
Speaker 2: It really came from that, as opposed to like somebody just decided this is what it is. So having said that, women who are in the normal range didn't use more, they use it up to twenty one total tampons or pads during their entire cycle, twenty one total, and they rarely had any bleeding outside of like an overnight pad overnight. Lastly, they did not have to change their pad more often than every three hours. If you have to change it every hour, that should not last more than three hours. So like you get one time during your whole cycle where you're like, okay, it's a little like everybody's got everything's coming out right now. But it's like if it's all coming out, it's just stop. So I wanted to share that to answer your question because just that alone can have women be like how many of these markers of normal do you hit versus not? How many of you're listening to me? How many are you're like, okay, not me not? I mean that's all ready to say, okay, so things could be better because there's something off here. That's how I would start the conversation of like, how do I know something might be off? As I would start with, this is what a normal cycle is. How close are you to this versus not? And then of course, like you could have a very very very normal bleeding and everything, but just be like an insane amounts of pain that is not routine, that is not normal. That's a really strong sign of endometriosis.
Speaker 3: Actually.
Speaker 2: And then when it comes to uterine cancer, which is different, it impacts us in our fifties, sixties, and seventies primarily, so it's primarily the perimenopausal and postmenopausal time periods. Now you should ask yourself how come I never hear about uterine cancer with all this menopause conversation.
Speaker 5: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Second, rising cancer in the United States right now currently more common than colon cancer among women, more common than colon cancer, rising every year. It affects one in thirty two women right now, one in thirty two one will we diagnosed. We're moving towards one in seventeen by twenty fifteen. And black women when diagnosed, Black women have double the mortality rate double compared to white women double, So that is large, that is a worse disparity than breast colon cervix way worse. Up until very recently, there was very very little focus on uterine cancer. I started focusing on uterine cancer in twenty sixteen because when I was in training and all these black women kept dying and I said, what is going on with this? I was told black women don't do well with this. We don't really know why. So that was really like you asked me, like where did all this come from? That was like the final spark of like, I have to learn the scientific method. I need to learn research. I need to go get a graduate degree. I need to be able to do studies to understand what is going on here. And that is what I have been doing for a while now, running a research center, trying to understand black women and urine cancer and womb health and how all of these things interact to have too many of us losing our lives too early.
Speaker 4: As we're having this conversation, something that kept coming up for me was how deeply our health is connected to everything else, especially our intimate health, which we don't always talk about openly. So we want to share a sponsor that aligns with that whole body, whole person approach to wellness.
Speaker 1: One thing I appreciate about Soaking wet is that it supports vational health without making it feel medical or intimidating.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, I mean it's really about daily care, supporting balance, moisture, and overall comfort.
Speaker 1: And for me personally, when things feel balanced, I notice that my body just feels better overall. Lady, get into this, Okay, Soaking wet from Vbhealth. It packs a punch with a blend of probiotics, prebiotics and vitamins that are like sending your vagina to the spa if spots also.
Speaker 3: Guarantee better sex.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not just about health, it's also about pleasure. And lady, let me just be real with you. Okay, we're grown. If you're in a space where natural lubrication is a concern, this works all right if you know.
Speaker 4: You know, And what we know is that it can positively impact intimacy. But the foundation of this supplement is really wellness and prevention. And again, this is a product we've tried and feel good about sharing with our community.
Speaker 1: You can visit soakingwet dot com, use cold her space for ten percent off, or click the link in the show notes and now let's get back to the conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like we just need to sit with that for a moment. That was that is a lot of information, and I'm just astounded at the amount of the lack of care that continues to persist for black women. And so I do want to say thank you, thank you so much for doing this research. And as you think about so, you said you started doing this research in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Well, I started actually in twenty two. I published my first paper in twenty twelve. I started in twenty ten. I started faculty at the University of Washington and started my research center in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: So, well, over ten years of research. What are what are some of your biggest findings that we need to know right now?
Speaker 3: Great? Number one, thank you for asking me.
Speaker 2: Number one, black women were not aware of the number one sign of uterine cancer, which is something called postman apausal bleeding. That means that after you're going through the menopause transition, at some point your period stopped, twelve months go by, you start having spotting again. That's not normal. That's not Oh girl, I'm not done. I thought I was done. That's called postman apausal bleeding, and it's the number one sign of uterine cancer. Ninety percent of people with uter in cancer have postmopousal bleeding.
Speaker 3: What we found is.
Speaker 2: That when that happened with black women, they would be like, oh, well, this is pretty light.
Speaker 3: It's nothing like my period was.
Speaker 2: So I'll just see how long it takes to go away or.
Speaker 3: It doesn't hurt.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to my doctor about it when I see them in six months for my annual or for my PCP visitor. I don't even have a gain of coologist anymore, so maybe I'll tell my cardiologist who doesn't know what to do about this. Black women were also assured inappropriately, hey, I've had some spotting sixty two year old Black women. Sixty seven year old black women now actually getting to the point of saying, I'm having some spotting.
Speaker 3: What's that about.
Speaker 2: They're disproportionately told, Oh, it might be your fibroids. Oh, it probably is just a heavy period, sixty seven year old. So we found this so when we think about when people talk about access to care, I don't want to hear it. We did that research nationally among the cancer registry linked to Medicare insurance claims across the entire country. Black women systematically who are older showing up with cancer signs being reassured, not receiving appropriate diagnostic testing for their uterine cancer that they subsequently have, and then they get diagnosed at advanced stages when we can't cure it. In addition, what we found is that even when they do get the diagnostic steps, because I did a lot of qualitative work, which means interviews. Along with doing we do a lot of state level and national level analysis of care and what's happening to people, but we also do to understand to talk with women on the ground, like what are we seeing here? And they would say these innoumetrial cancer survivors would say, you know, I did have an ultrasound. They just told me it was my fibroids, Like, actually did have the first step. So we had a paradigm in gynecology that says, if somebody comes in with postmenopausal bleeding, you do an ultrasound. If that ultrasound, if they're in no metrium thickness or measurement is under four millimeters, there's no chance that they have a uterine cancer. Because we looked at these large population studies and that like, there's basically no chance, so you don't have to even do a biopsy because that rules it out.
Speaker 3: It's probably just some menopausal bleeding stuff. Okay.
Speaker 2: So when I looked at this, because I was like, how well does that work in black women? Because it just why all these women tell me they got ultrasounds and they were reassured. You know what we found nobody had ever studied it in Black women before this rolled out. So before this process rolled out, it was not studied in Black women. The studies were from Scandinavian countries, Hong Kong and Italy, and we adopted them wholesale. Half the studies excluded women with fibroids, so not even other women with five right, So then we adopted this paradigm. So then in my work, we spent years, six years doing research studies questioning does this actually work in black women? How do we know that it works? What does if we start to pull together a little case report here, miscancer there, If we start pulling these things together, what is the pattern we see? And the pattern that we found is that it absolutely is not an appropriate triage step for Black women. That ten percent up to twelve percent depending on the measurement threshold you use. Of Black women with uterine cancer are missed by this testing. And I think that's important because this is not the ultrasound doesn't say like, if your ultrasound result is positive, you're going to go straight to hysterectomy or you're going to go straight to chemo.
Speaker 3: It literally is just.
Speaker 2: We'll do a biopsy to check. So these women were reassured falsely. And you just ask yourself if you went in for some spotting or something like that and somebody told you, Okay, well it looks like it's your fybroids, or if it doesn't look like is, how long would it take you to come back to be.
Speaker 3: Like are you sure?
Speaker 5: A long time?
Speaker 2: A long time, especially if it's not painful, right, especially if it's not so women would wait until they're passing clots, until they're having cramping. These are signs of cancer progression, and then all of a sudden we go, oh, no, another black woman diagnosed with stage four. So these are the kinds of things that we found in my research that pushed back against the idea that like, well, this is just an issue of like access to care, poverty, or the other narrative, which is that this is some this is just a biological issue, that black women's bodies are just broken. So it was actually just this year, in April of this year, twenty twenty six, is when the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists finally updated the guidelines, base on my research, based on our research, to finally say you cannot only rely on ultrasound for people who have these risk factors, and one of the risk factors is being black, because again we know that this does not work as well because of fibroids, and because the types of uterine cancer black women get are kind of a different type and they don't grow in the same manner that the way that the other one.
Speaker 3: Is supposed to detect.
Speaker 2: So like that's why, you know, people ask me, and I'm like, I mean, ultimately, the answer is racism. Like I can give you the breakdown, but y'all know what I mean, right, Ultimately it's gonna come back to racism, because yeah, one of the manifestations of racism is not just targeting you for mistreatment, It is ignoring you, right, it is the neglect of your outcomes is another very active form of racism. So you're starting to hear the theme, right, We're not stuttying this, We're not doing this.
Speaker 3: We're rolling out this whole thing.
Speaker 2: And the whole idea of the ultrasound trio strategy was to save women from a painful biopsy. Save white women, right, I mean, don't say that, but that's who we're We're not we didn't even study black women, So so this is an we're we're prioritizing the comfort of white women over black women's lives every single time.
Speaker 5: That is so mind blowing us.
Speaker 2: And how and how yeah, like you said, doctor don Like, how how common is that story? We're like, oh, okay, now I understand what's going on. So it's why I'm so passionate about this because you can see how like how important it is for black women to be aware, to be educated.
Speaker 3: Are things changing in my field? Sure? I mean I'm out here.
Speaker 2: I wrote my first book, I've written over one hundred research papers, like, I'm out here trying to change the game in my field in terms of this is how we have to switch because I know, right, it's going to take both.
Speaker 3: It's going to take.
Speaker 2: Black women being aware and informed and understand and have a different threshold of what we tolerate and not be passing down this idea that we all just bleed and cramp and this is just the way it is. We're going to have a different threshold so that when a six year old black woman has a little bit of spotting, she's like, absolutely the f not right. I'm going to the doctor right now. You're gonna give me the tests that I need. And we need physicians to be informed to understand the problem with the prior guideline, what they missed out on learning because of what happened, and understand and be able to see black women's vulnerability, see us as needing help instead of assume that we're fine. That's why I wrote the book Thank.
Speaker 1: You, listen, I was gonna say, I cannot agree more with what Dom said, like, thank you for being out here doing the work, being of service to the community. This is so needed and I hate to do this, but I have like a double question because you answer questions so well, so.
Speaker 3: Okay, so organized.
Speaker 1: I see you're so organized that they're My first question is how can we as black women. I want to I hope I'm working this the right way because I like, you said something earlier, and I'm like, we can all relate to this. We know how to suck some shit up. We will suck some pain up and be like, oh girl, I'm not on the floor. I'm not dead.
Speaker 5: I could still walk like I'm I'm not dead. I'll be fine, Like I'm with you.
Speaker 4: We don't have time to go tonight.
Speaker 2: I don't have I literally don't have time for this, right, I really don't have time for.
Speaker 5: Luxury like that.
Speaker 1: But then also, what does advocacy look like in the doctor's office when that doctor's like, oh, we'll give you the ultrasound, Like, what does it look like.
Speaker 5: In the question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad you asked, because I had no interest in writing something that's just going to depress everybody and just or just enrage us and have nowhere to go. I don't know about y'all, But don't tell me about any problem I don't have and not give me something to do about, Like I.
Speaker 3: Don't okay, I have no age.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is no I need some action oriented like give me hope. So the whole third part of the book is literally that, like the whole thing is like this is how we're going to get ourselves together. But the specific section that's on how do we advocate?
Speaker 3: There are multiple levels.
Speaker 2: One is when you are informed, you're already having a different conversation, like you don't have to go to the guynecologists, like they have some black box and we'll just see what they have to say.
Speaker 3: You can come in already.
Speaker 2: You know what these canditions are, You know what the risk factors are, you know what they like, so you are understanding not only that, but also what are all the treatments available and all that stuff. Number two is it's languaging. So and I just want to take a moment a beat to explain this because what we how we learn to communicate as black women, which is part of how we learn to be strong and navigate a world of racism and sexism, et cetera, is that we learn to communicate with what we can with our agency, what we're able to do. Do you have heavy bleeding, I mean it's heavy, but I can make it. Are your periods painful? I mean yeah, it's I mean they're pretty rough, but I mean it's not like I'm taking days off work. So we lead with what we are still capable of doing because we know we live in a society that looks at us and says you're probably lazy, you probably didn't, don't deserve to be here, You're probably dad da da da dad. So we are very used to making it very clear what we are capable of. Okay, hold that in your mind. Physicians in training. Antony as a gynecologist in training, especially in gynecology, So much of our triggers, like if this is a problem, should we do this test or whatever, is driven by when somebody comes in and says.
Speaker 3: I have a problem.
Speaker 2: We have a few screening tests, but mostly we don't right. Mostly it's about you coming in and saying this is unacceptable. What we are trained to listen for is what you can't do. So we measure severity by oh wow, this must be bad. She can't work anymore. Oh wow, this must be bad. She's not able to travel anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh wow. So we are listening for your deficits.
Speaker 2: Black women are leading with what we're still how we have adapted, and how we can still do things. So I emphasize this point because it might sound subtle, but it is a game changer. So instead of my periods are really heavy, and they're bothering me. Are you still able to go to work?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Now, and that guy in college is going okay, so it's not that bad, instead of it sounds like this, or are you still able to travel?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, it's I can.
Speaker 2: Still travel, but I have to wear four overnight pads and an adult diaper in order to get through a long flight when I'm on my period, or I will have an accident. WHOA, Now I'm looking at you different. So what we need to do is we need to lead with our adaptations instead of leading with what we're able to do. Sure, you can still work, but to how how are you still working? I'm strapping heating pads to my pelvis. I am in bed working from home because I cannot be that far from a bathroom. You see what I'm saying. Like that, we have to be honest about what it's taking. So then somebody is like, oh, these are major adaptations. That's severe. Did that make sense to y'all? You see how it's like subtle, but it's huge, huge, it's huge huge. Actually, when we know we know this from research, we literally know this. Black women's pain, they do, our pain is not legible our suffering is not legible. So you are sitting there in pain, suffering, and literally people are not seeing it the same way they would see it on somebody else. We have research studies that have demonstrated this without a doubt. So our ability to communicate very clearly about what's actually happening is important, and it's why we have to beat back against the silence that so many of us were taught. We were taught to be quiet about these things. We were taught not to make a big deal about these things. Right, A successful period is one that nobody knows about.
Speaker 3: Right. But if that's what.
Speaker 2: You've been living for twenty years, for thirty years, you have to do some work so you can get to the doctor and say, I actually put trash bags under my mattress so I don't ruin another mattress with the bleeding from my periods because of the accidents that I have at night.
Speaker 4: Wow, some of the stuff, some of the symptoms that you are explaining like taking was taking me back.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, wait, girl, me too, I'm going to sen I was like wait, oh, some of that I was adapting and didn't realize that those were probably absolutely I mean, and I was out here thinking I had caught it halfway early, you know, And but as you're as you were explaining some of these symptoms, I'm like, no, I actually was dealing with things way longer than then. I was paying attention to it.
Speaker 2: And when again, you know, you don't learn to silence and keep things secret without a dissociate level of dissociation, I don't think, oh yeah, so that's happening to us too, like I don't.
Speaker 3: This is part of why in the book I talk part.
Speaker 2: Three, I talk about getting back in touch with your body, because like I can tell you, I definitely it is like I do not exist from the neck down. If I'm at work, like don't it's I'm literally putting it out of my mind literally. But that also means that you're not noticing when you're going from like normal to mild symptoms right to moderate. It's like it has to be severe before you're like whoa, whoa, what's going on? Because we're so used to kind of right, it doesn't exist. We're disassociated. So you see how there's like all these layers that start to add on. It's not one story, right, It's not one thing it's not one piece of mistreatment. It's like, that's what is so crazy to me about this crisis, the hidden crisis of the black wombs, because it's like all these things are coming together for the opposite of what.
Speaker 3: We really want.
Speaker 2: We want womb healing, we want to feel good, we want a good quality of life.
Speaker 3: We don't want to have to stop living our.
Speaker 2: Lives multiple days a month or weeks a month because of what we're going through, and we want to live. We don't want to end up with late stage uterine cancer. But when you step back and you see all of these influences, you start to see how we're getting the opposite of that. And that's what I want to change, layer by layer, layer by layer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So one of the things that is coming up for me is I'm thinking about women like myself who have had hysterectomies, right, Yeah, and how oftentimes the narrative is okay, well, once you have a hysterectomy, gynecological health is not a big deal anymore all as well.
Speaker 3: But we know that's not the case.
Speaker 4: No, can you explain that? Can you share with us, like, what are the things that folks really need to be paying attention to even after you've had a hysterectomy.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for asking this question. I'm going to go back to the face analogy. If somebody for some reason took off your ear, would you be like, well, there goes my face. Don't need to go for eye check ups, don't need to go to the dentists.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Right, So again it's like, once we're aware that these are multiple organs, this is not one thing. So one thing is that that clarity because a lot of women tell me hysterecto me and I immediately my next question is what parts do they remove and what parts do they leave in? Because hysterectomy is used for all types of things. Are your ovaries in? Are your tubes in? Did they leave your cervix behind? Didn't get removed? These are things. These are all varieties, and it's disturbing sometimes how much people can't answer those questions for me. So that's when it's like, Okay, go back and get your your your surgery report, go back or whatever, because we actually need to know what organs are there. So that's the first thing I would say for a woman who said why I had to hys direct me, I'm done. I would be like, what parts are in you? And what parts are not? And do we know that.
Speaker 3: Even if you have everything removed? Actually, let's go the other way.
Speaker 2: So for some women that hysterect me just means that the womb itself was removed. They still have their cervix, they still have their ovaries, and some of them even still have their tubes. So why do you still keep needing to go? One, that's rix can still get a cervical cancer. Also, it can get benign cervical polyps and growth that can cause bleeding and all sorts of just annoyingness to you. Two, we still those ovaries can still get cysts, They can still grow masses, they can still twist and cause pain. They still, you know, they can still basically create symptoms that need to be worked up. You know, you might be thinking, I just have constipation. Girl, you got a new ovarian cyst, right, So if you don't know that, then you won't have that stuff checked out. Number three going out Now, even if you have all your perts removed, meaning I should be clear if you have your uterus and the cervix and the tubes and the ovaries are all gone. You still have a volva and vagina. There can still be lesions in the vagina, cancerous lesions, benign lesions, et cetera. There can be cysts in the Barthlin's glands that are on the outside. Then there are also things like atrophy and the way that their conditions. They're not cancer, but conditions that change with age in terms of the vagina and the vulvar area, some of whom require like medicine to treat something called lichen sclerosis. It's just a disease of the vulva. It's the skin disease of the volva. Many women spend years before they're diagnosed because they assume they just have dryness and they don't go to the gynecologists anymore. And likensclerosis actually starts to destroy the architecture. So you could lose your clitaress, you could lose your labia, you could lose all of that, just thinking oh, I just have dryness and doing your douches and trying to do your Yoni steams and all this nonsense. Meanwhile, you literally have a skin condition called lichensclerosis that we can treat. So I am not trying to terrify people I'm literally just just imagine, imagine if the narrative right was basically like you never have to worry about I don't know your heart or your kidneys.
Speaker 3: You know, they're just there. Who cares about them?
Speaker 2: You know, let us know if you feel like maybe your kidney's about to explode, but otherwise it's fine.
Speaker 3: If somebody in my position would have to.
Speaker 2: Be like, y'all, there are a lot of kidney diseases. This it's not to scare you, but it's just to be like, can we please change our imagination around these organs? There are organs like other organs in our body. Why would they not need to be checked on? Why would they not.
Speaker 6: Need to be assessed unless you think of women as just vessels for reproduction, which is how we end up here right where.
Speaker 2: We have these conditions that are common, they're not rare. People have them, and yet so little discussion.
Speaker 1: Doctor Kimmy Dall, this has been such an insightful conversation. It's been insightful, It has been mind blowing, and I think I feel like we need to have you on again. But I want to ask you, is there anything else that you want to share? I know we reference your book plenty of times, But is there anything else that you want to share about the book, about your work, about how people can support because I feel like we can just ask you questions all day long and you have such good energy.
Speaker 5: We're like, we're I've been, so let us know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I think what I want people to know is that I guess I just want to share, like this book is deliberately written to be readable and interesting and to basically teach you on the sly like it is full of information. Don't get me wrong, you going to finish reading and being like I am smarter than I was when I started this book.
Speaker 3: But the whole point, like I don't want to read a textbook. I don't know about y'all. I like, I love fiction, I love stories.
Speaker 2: So the book is just it's written to tell stories, tell my own story, which is woven throughout the book, and tell the story of four or five incredible women. And most people have told me, man I was up late, because I wouldn't. I needed to find out what happened to Maya, So like I like I would not put this book down, like I needed to know what happened to Miss Barbara by.
Speaker 3: Page sixty seven, like I want to know, so, like it's so.
Speaker 2: I just say that because I know we can be intimidated by medical books and maybe some people who even bought a medical book before and they're excited and then they started and they're like, oh my god, like this is just tables and charts, and I'm you know, so I guess I just wanted to say that that too. If you're listening to this and you're like, this sounds really great, you can find book on anywhere Amazon, you know, independent bookstores, Kindle. I read the audiobook, so if you like my voice, you can just listen to me.
Speaker 3: Read the audiobook.
Speaker 2: The audiobook is on Spotify. A lot of people can just listen to it on Spotify. It's on Spotify. It's also at your local library. Like this book is everywhere. It's everywhere you buy books, and I just challenge you, just crack it open and get started, because I promise you you will want to keep reading. And I want you to read it because I want us to be informed and I want you to feel the way I do, which is that I absolutely deserve good womb health.
Speaker 3: I refuse to settle for less.
Speaker 2: Also gynecology, which we didn't talk about, was built on the black woman's body. The knowledge that we have came from the black woman's body. I'll be damned if I don't benefit from that knowledge.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, and that amazing book is a terrible strength, The Hidden Crisis of the Black Womb and Your Survival Guide to Healing, Doctor Kimmy. This was absolutely phenomenal. Yeah, this was amazing. Thank you so much for the work that you're doing for our community. We will definitely keep in touch with you because things are going to continue to change and we're going to need your insight and understand how we can support you and the research that you're doing so that we can continue to drive this mission forward that you and your team are driving.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: We isn't there a rapid fire? Oh do you want to do the rapid fire?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I was ready for you are ready for? Okay?
Speaker 1: You know what's so funny. Sometimes people want to do it and sometimes they don't. We're going to keep this in y'all. This is a part of the I was.
Speaker 3: Like, come on, let's do a rabbit fire. I don't even know what it is. I'm just excited.
Speaker 5: Don't let's get into it. Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy you said that, so, doctor Kenny, because we recognize, appreciate, and celebrate the multifaceted woman, and we believe that it's okay to be bougie, classy and ratchet. You can still be elegant. Okay, you could be elegant and dance to strip club music. We want to invite you to the oh you blatchet segment? Do you take on the challenge?
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to surprise you, and we're gonna just start off with the first question, which is we're easing you into it. The first question is what's the best piece of wisdom or advice you've ever received on any topic?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I would say probably you know your purpose, which is an internal your internal compass matters so much more than any piece any piece of feedback, good, bad, anything that you'll get on the outside.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Oh that was such a good answer, so profound and wholesome. And this next this next question is like taking us back to the nine to nine year two thousand and it is totally like ratchet. So I have four words for you, hm, twerk or two step.
Speaker 3: I want to tell you something.
Speaker 2: My spirit wants to twork, but but my capability should rest in the two step.
Speaker 3: See you tell hi.
Speaker 2: You know that's that's really what it is. My spirit is working hard.
Speaker 5: Though. What it happened was we got okay, you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying A way okay, Yeah, but you know the two step is where I usually I'm like, let.
Speaker 3: Me just stay over here.
Speaker 5: That is so funny.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Our final question of this segment is what's the sexiest item you own?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got some baddie lingerie?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, me and my husband had our fifteenth wedding anniversary last year, so I was like, I ran through. I said, let's get let's do it up. So, yeah, I got some you know, I can't really describe it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's perfect oka, Oh okay, my favorite color very only.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say I.
Speaker 2: Would say that, and then I guess the second thing would be my brain.
Speaker 5: I know that's right.
Speaker 1: Those are good answers, the best of both the worlds. Come on, come on, yes, nothing sexy a smart woman. Listen listen that part is that part?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So now we moved to the sentence completion. One question or topic I wish people asked me about more often, is my favorite romance novels?
Speaker 1: Oh, you and Donald will connect on this. What's your favorite romance novel? We gotta know I.
Speaker 2: Probably don't have one favorite, but I just finished Obviously I just said that. But anyway, I just finished a series I've read before, but I really like it. It's called Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and it's just really good.
Speaker 3: It's really really well with it's back.
Speaker 2: It's like old, it's like back from like the two thousand first of all the good things today could never But it's called Daughter of Smoke and Bone and it's a trilogy and it's fantastic. And then there's another one that's almost like it's romance. It's like romance slot, it's almost more fantasy than romance, called Cushio Dart is the first of this trilogy, and it's like that trilogy is probably one of the best pieces of literature.
Speaker 3: I've ever read.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you for putting us on. I'm gonna have to check that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yes, Okay, the next sense of completion.
Speaker 1: It is the most embarrassing thing I've ever done to get my CRUSH's attention is this could be any stage in life.
Speaker 7: Oh this is I just I'm in pain, definitely, like the sending my friend to tell my crush that I like them, but not that.
Speaker 2: They knew that I knew that they were telling and just all to get a note back that's like I don't like you. Oh no, there's no hope here.
Speaker 4: The loss I mean lost and you had to shoot your shot.
Speaker 2: Not only that my protection because let me tell you, let me tell you, being a late bloomer is underrated.
Speaker 3: Being late.
Speaker 2: Listen the young girls listening to be a late If nobody's paying any attention to you, you just go ahead and be grateful for that, because the way you will avoid so much drama and heartbreak because nobody wants to date you until you're like in your mid twenties, late twenties, like early thirty girl.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, it's a beautiful thing, that's right. So that's how I feel, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like, I just I was spared a lot of drama because I was interested in everybody.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody was interested? She said, I don't want to all of them, all of everybody. Sail always take you over here. You know, nobody I asked somebody in college. When they're like, oh no, you were too you know, you were working too hard. People are like, we can't mess with her. She's actually studying. She tried to do so okay, she knew her purpose. But see, wasn't that protection though.
Speaker 4: Because because they could have pulled you from your purpose?
Speaker 1: Okay listen, and when I really was, I hear good, thank you.
Speaker 2: So this is a really I have really reset the whole situation in my mind.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, forward, yes okay, and so our last sentence completion. What I love most about myself.
Speaker 3: Is my heart. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the passion and energy you see is so authentic. Like I care so much about giving and supporting all of us to live the full lives we want to. I just I feel like a calling on like this is how I am serving black women, This is how I'm uplifting us because we are so beautiful and so amazing. And like, I just I appreciate my heart so much. I love that I love hard. I love that even like the you know, not people, like the inanimate things I love, like my favorite books, like I just I love that I have that much passion and joy and you know, delight and enjoyment of things. It helps me get through the dark times. It helps me get through the challenges all of that. So I think my heart, yeah.
Speaker 1: That is a beautiful answer, and we appreciate you so much. Doctor Kimmy, thank you for bringing up the rapid Fire segment. To do this, You've got to do your RAPHI fire. Yeah, thank you so much. I appreciate you all. Thank you for reaching out like I am so happy. I'm never happier than when I'm in conversation with black women about this book. You have to know, and so I appreciate the support and inviting me on this beautiful platform that you've built.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank.
Speaker 5: You, thank you so much. Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey? Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R D O m I Ni B r ou Ssard dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know needs support, check out resources like Therapy for Black Girls or Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration or leave us a quick five star review. Your support means the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 1: And before we meet again, repeat after me, I move an alignment, not urgency. What's meant for me? Responds to me Chief Thriving Lady, and tune in next Friday for more inspiration from cultivating her Space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram at her Space Podcast