Speaker 1: It's time forward. The b a q a A, the b a q A what is saying the b a q eight with Manda, the b a q a with to today.
Speaker 2: Let b a q a A.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Brade bish question answers. You have questions, We have some answers. Although we're not your mom and your cousin, your financial Adidas all your lawyer are two very smart, brilliant dare I say brown girls who know a little thing about career, money, personal finances. You know what I'm saying, entrepreneurship. So you know we're here to answer some questions.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a dead of winter. I'm a dead of winter, so I don't know if I still fit in the brown category. I'm still pale.
Speaker 1: You're broad and spieling.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we have some lovely questions. If you guys want to be have your questions answer on the show, just slide into our d ms on ig. We're at brand Amission Podcast or you can email us Bredandmission Podcast at gmail dot com. Yeah, so let's get into it. Hey Taylor, all right? Our first question comes from Taylor, who says, I just got engaged and I'm looking for advice on how to start planning financially. We currently live together and split our household bills fifty to fifty depends on the season and if we use the AC or not. Okay, conet is crazy. We take turns getting groceries for the house, although I shop a bit more since I'm working in the office and don't always pack a lunch. We make just about the same amount of money and have kept our finances separate. I'm planning to do pre mariital counseling with my fiance and wonder if financials will be brought up in those convos. We both have trauma around a parent abusing household finances. I know I prefer to keep all household bills in one bucket and the rest separate. How do you all start to share finances with partners? Were there any strategies you employed to start saving for a wedding? Do you have recommendations on the best or easiest joint accounts? Ally keeps popping up? Thanks for any insights you can provide. Y'all are the bomb.
Speaker 1: Ooh first of all day day.
Speaker 3: It's what it? Yeah, it's engagement season. Congrests. Oh my goodness, this takes me back.
Speaker 1: Yes, to early day introduced like combining finances with my husbe too soon.
Speaker 3: I was like I was in my I had just you know, when we met in twenty fourteen, I had been a few years into my career as a personal finance journalist, poor Husbee or Enrique at the time, because I was just I was kind of preachy. I was very preachy. I used to really put people off my friends and family because I'd be, like, what you should do is I'm just like a hermione. I just know it all and I want everyone to know. And I had a good place like I was coming from. You know, I wanted to help, but I hadn't yet learned how to wait for them to ask me for help. But I remember our early before moving in together, which we moved in together less than a year after dating. I think just because like Lisa's New York kind of rush you into decisions sooner than you may otherwise rush. But we had dinner and I broached the subject of like our finance is at that dinner and it was fine. Like we talked about splitting rent fifty to fifty. We talked about how much do you earn? Here's what I earn and also moving in together, Like we talked about is this a long term do you see a future with me? You know, I didn't want to live with him if he didn't think he'd one day marry me, bless his heart. And then I would say around that time, I just got more feisty. I was like, show me your credits core. I want to see your credits core. Why don't you show me your credits cor? And I think it was more my o. I think he might have just shown me or told me if I hadn't been so much like we must find if you don't show me, you don't trust me, you don't let me. I was just a little extra. So yeah, I had my ups and downs early in our relationship, kind of talking about finances. We did do pre mariital counseling, but finances didn't come up. I think you're gonna have to like bring that up yourselves as a topic that you want to work on, like set the intention of in therapy. This will be one of the things we talk about. We more talked about like I don't even remember. God, honestly, I think it was premarital counseling is fine, but I almost feel like don't forget about that when you get like year five, you know, six seven, like you need more counseling. So we started counseling again just earlier this year. But yeah, that was that was our early early arguments about it. We're around me just being a little too intense.
Speaker 1: Yo, Mandy, there's a reason why we are friends. Because that was there almost to the tea, including in the credit score. He was like, I don't know. I was like, let's sideup for a credit carma right.
Speaker 2: Now, Like get in your laptop and you're I did that girl of a miracle that they put up with the pools anyway, Yeah, so to Mandy's point, I was also aggressive and very annoying.
Speaker 1: I was just like with my family and friends saying. I was like, girl, I know the things you know now, I don't do that much. I was like, you know, because also there was just a lot of things that I knew that he didn't know. So for example, he had gotten a secured card and he was like, oh, they told me that you like, you know, run it up and just pay a little bit a month. And I was like, who told you that? The people who are charging you interest? Now, I was say paid off in full. Do you have the money? It was maybe like four or five hundred dollars. He said, yeah, he paid it off. Credit score jumped over one hundred points because he didn't have much credit history. So when you don't have a ton of credit history, one really great decision can make a huge impact because your credit history is an average of your choices. So if you only have two grades, one A will make a B and A you know. And so so what we started to do, though, is so I had to learn because my aggressive ways we're not working. I remember he used to call me budget East to bully. He said, everybody, Oh, we knew you are Budget Easter bully.
Speaker 3: Everyone else thinks we're so nice. But partners, though, said down.
Speaker 1: I was like whatever. So but I learned that my bullying ways were actually not working. So I learned to find what I used to call the common denominator, like something that we both agreed upon without any push. So in the beginning I noticed that like the easiest common denominator for Jarell and I was alyssa. You know, my bonus starter that like if he spent money on something, I thought it was frivolous. I'm like, oh, that's fine, but we all still put money aside for Alyssa, right, and he would because there's never a time that he would ever say I'd rather the sneakers than put something aside for a listle. So he'd be like, oh, ooh, you're right. And so that's in the beginning to kind of loosen him up to make the financial choices that, quite honestly, I thought was the right one that you want to yes, that I would like, you know, I would like the comment when it was like, there's never any pushback when it comes to Alyssa. And then I added a new one because I was traveling and he'd be like, oh, I want to, you know, travel with you. And I be like, okay, well, I'm going to open up this online only savings account and you can open up a separate one, which she did, and when I put the money away for savings, you should too, so that way the next trip we go on, we can go together, so there's never pushback on vacation. And so I did that, quite honestly for a long time before I was able to brouch other things like I think your car noticed too high, maybe we should surrender the car. I think we should start saving for a wedding. I think we should start saving for a house. By the time we bought this house that I live in now, we were able to pay for a cash because it was like fifty percent off because it was a foreclosure. We had gotten to a really great space where we were on the same page financially because we had started with those common denominators and then learned to discuss what are our other goals and what do we need to do to reach it, you know, And so I learned to change my tone, you know, not to be such a budgetist to bully, and he learned to like be open to say, oh, this is for the betterment of both of us. So I don't know what Mandy, you know, does now. But when Darrell was here, we I had like a We had an RS and we had each other's. So I had my own checking, I had my own savings, He had his own checking, He had his own savings, and then we jointly had joint checking joint savings. The checking account was like the bills account for the house, so like we both contributed. He largely contributed to the bills account, and then I largely more contributed to our joint savings account, you know, because he had this thing where he was like, I want to pay the bills, and I said, okay, So there wasn't a ton left over for savings, but that's where I contributed the most, you know, And so like, you know, those are some of the choices. So I'll give you an example too, like I made significantly more than Jirell. To be candid, he never made over sixty thousand dollars a year, and you know I can bring home seven figures, and so there's a big discrepancy, you know, And we talked about how do we navigate that because sometimes you know, for many men, and I understand it can be a hard thing for the ego to swallow. His biggest thing was I don't want to live off of what you bring in, Tippany. I want to be able to maintain our lifestyle with what I bring in.
Speaker 3: And so really smart, honestly.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is, honestly, and I love that about it because he could have even been like, girl, what could I retire? You know. So what we did, for example, for the house was at first we were looking at houses to get home to get mortgages, but honestly what his income could could cover. It wasn't the kind of house that I wanted to live in and a neighborhood I wanted to live in. So we found this house. It was a foreclosure, and it was like perfect with the savings that we joint saved, you know, where I did my most contributing. I had the one hundred and eighty thousand dollars there. We used it to buy the house. So now there's no mortgage, but his income could cover taxes, insurance, utilities, you see what I mean. So it's like he still got to pay the bills, but in a way that preserved what I wanted, which is this beautiful home in this nice neighborhood. But it preserved I pay the bills and I can maintain our lifestyle, you know. And so like those are the types of conversations you want to start to have, like where do you want to live? We each got our own allowance, and we could have spended however we wanted because I know we were both contributing to the household, which I had our own savings. You could do what you wanted because as long as them the bills were paid, and then the joint savings was saved. That excess money is yours to do what you want with. So I learned to leave him alone when it came to that. So those are some of the things that we did, and you know, hopefully that'll be helpful. It's going to be just a constant conversation. You guys should be talking about money always. Something that Mandy actually introduced me to. Mandy when you started working with Helen, you know, I didn't have a financial advisor at the time, and you said that Helen helped you kind of like be a tie breaker like you and husband, you know, And so I suggest that too, finding a financial advisor that your meeting with, especially in the beginning regularly, because they will help to walk through your goals and how do you reach them together. And that way he feels he's heard and you feel like you're heard too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And it just basically like he listens to her to me, even though she's saying what I could say, you know, but obviously she has way more training than I do as a financial planner. But yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at too with premorital counseling, Like they're not going to be able to give you the financial advice, but they can help you learn how to approach it if it becomes like this, really, you mentioned both having trauma financial trauma in the past, so like, if it's really tough to even get the conversation started, maybe it's good to start in a premarital counseling and then work your way up to like getting a financial planner and then but I would just say, like, you'll find the system that works for you. For us, it's it is one joint like household expense account and one joint savings and then we have our separate accounts where we, you know, have money for whatever we want to buy. Oh, she asked, any strategies you employed to start saving for a wedding. Yeah. We moved in with his parents and cut our I had never been earning more in my career. I think I was about to take a job making like forty K more than what I was earning at the time, and for some reason I snapped and I'm like, we have to save all this extra money, Like I don't want to, you know, just get a nicer apartment. We moved him with his parents into a tiny apartment and way in Wood Upper Manhattan and gave up our lovely two bedroom apartment in Queen's and basically lived off of You know, we were able to save the majority of our income, which helped. You don't have to go that drastic. But I was hell bent on not having debt for my wedding, and I was also hell bent on having a gorgeous wedding. So if you both want that, it's easier to make that decision together. We both really wanted a nice wedding, so I think it was easier for him to say yes to my crazy idea that we lasted. We lasted like six or eight months there. I think saved like twelve thousand dollars. It was nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's okay.
Speaker 3: We had to get out of there.
Speaker 1: Same thing. Like like Mandy, we lived really simply, Like Darrell was a super for housing and we lived basically on campus. I mean it was a cute We had a townhouse, but rent was because he worked there. It was severely discounted to like nine hundred bucks a month, nine to twenty. And so we lived there and we saved, and we both agreed, and it's not something you have to do, but we were both agreed because I mean, I got married at thirty seven, so I didn't necessarily want like a big old wedding. And so we decided, do we want to spend this money on the wedding or do we want to set aside to purchase a home together, And so we said, let's have a simple wedding. So we did justice at the piece. A friend of mine has this really nice restaurant that she closed down Bonda for us, and Mandy was there and so we just like, that's what we did. My mom was distraught, of course, because I'm Nigeria and how dare I not have an extravagant, ignorant wedding.
Speaker 3: It was my favorite Nigerian wedding. It lasted. What was I even? It wasn't even a wedding, It was just a reception.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 3: It was the best.
Speaker 1: My friend Andrea, she made my dress. She's like she's like now she's like some famous like wedding dress designer. She like one like making the cut on them with Pattie, Heidi Koum and Tim Gunn. But like yeah, I mean she was big then to Pantoa Bridal. She made my dress and gifted it to me. My my friend JP did our video for free. Honestly, it was like the I don't think I spent two thousand dollars, like including Alyssa's dress, Jurrell's close from like Banana Republic, you know, all everything photos and but it was beautiful because after it was said and done, we purchased I wouldn't have had the money to purchase the home cash. I didn't know at the time that this house was going to come up. But not only did we purchase the home cash, we paid off my student loan debt fifty thousand dollars and we were able to pay off my parents' house one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. And so for us it was like and for all partnered people, you have to decide what's your design outcome jointly as well as individually, and make the decision from there. So to Mandy's point, like you know, if you can reduce how you're living, however that looks and set aside. Right now, Citizens Bank, we don't I don't work with them or anything, but they because all I think is like three point three. So I moved my money from ally to Citizens Bank is three point seven, So like.
Speaker 3: Narrates are going up, yes, but like joint bank accounts, he just wanting to be sure they're really easy and simple to next your external accounts too, especially if, like unless you're both going to move all your stuff to that one bank account, which would be easier. But like Enrique has a bank account that I don't have, and I have my personal one with Ally, and then we have the joints. So as long as you can do auto transfers, that has worked for us. It took a while, but I was like, dude, automatically transfer money into Ally each month so that I know we'll have enough to like get daycare covered and stuff like that. But yeah, for your savings, for sure, I would just choose the bank with the highest interest rate because you want that to be easy to get to but not too easy to get to. But yeah, good luck on this journey, and congratulations Taylor on your engagement's.
Speaker 1: What do we love to hear? Because you know we well, I well, damn, I'm gonna say we're all married couple, married ladies now, But I'm like, I don't know, do I still feel married?
Speaker 3: You're a rich aunty.
Speaker 1: I know I am a rich Jounty. The first time someone said like, oh, you're not married anymore, I was like, oh, shut up. Now I'm just like yeah, Now I'm like, well I'm a.
Speaker 3: Rich two guys put together so long, like you can't just you know, look at your relationship as the years you were married. You know, you guys had a storybook.
Speaker 1: From me, it's always storybook when someone's like, honestly, it was pretty awesome. But yes, like, yes, I have a rich aunte now, so we'll say that, but yes, keep asking your questions, bring them on there, we have one. Well we're gonna take a break, right, mandra Yeah.
Speaker 3: And take a little break and come back with one mode question. Yes, So we'll see you on a little.
Speaker 1: Bit and we're back. We have a question. Oh her name is Tiffany girl. I like that name. Hey girl, But hey, ladies, I'm a huge fan of your podcast. You all need a show, like seriously. Okay, I have a fairly simple question. However, it's so hard for me to get by it. How do I find funding to start my business. I'm twenty seven and have new savings and I want to flip properties, but I have no money to start. Please help, Okay.
Speaker 3: You squeeze blood from a stone.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you ever heard, well, have you ever heard of house hacking? Mandra, Yeah, but I need a refresher. So house hacking, young Tiffany, I love this twenty seven. Oh he's so fresh and for a life. So house hacking is when you live in a house ideally ideally like a multi family house, let someone else pay the rent, you know, and then save from that place, so like you know, you're saving on you not having to pay rent, someone else is paying the mortgage for you, and then you use that money or you could even pull out money from that property to purchase the next property, you know, and so.
Speaker 3: Exactly what producer and money is doing right now.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and so I would you know, like if you The thing about purchasing at home is that you can use something called leverage, Like leverage comes from the word lever, and a lever is like a doorknob. So you think about the small little doorknob could open this.
Speaker 3: Big old door.
Speaker 1: How is that right? So the same thing with the way when you leverage your money in real estate, you don't have to come up with a full amount like I have purchased my properties some of them cash, but you don't need to do them. You can literally leverage by you know, putting down giving an fah loan, putting down three and a half percent, so you don't have to put down the full five hundred thousand or two hundred thousand or whatever, maybe three thousand and four thousand and five thousand, which means you do have to save something, you know, and then you use that leverage to purchase an asset that is much greater than what you initially invested. Patience, you know, maybe you fix it up while you're there, do a little something to it, find yourself some you know, someone who's going to rent, and then you know, after a couple of years you're able to pull out some money from that property as well as hopefully you've saved some of that rent money you're getting to then purchase the next thing. And so that's what I would suggest for you to start. There's some great resources, so many some I don't know if that all United Ways still do this, but some of them. You might want to look at your local United Way. Oftentimes they have something called an IDA program, an Individual Development Account program. This is a program where can you take like a series of classes, and the United Way has partnered with the bank, and some banks just do this on their own. So you can look for individual Development Account programs at different banks and then they will pledge if you put a certain amount of money in and you take these courses or classes, they will then grant you money, like in multiple So if you put up five hundred, they might say for every five hundred you put up, we will multiple times for that's what the IDA program that I used to teach, so literally when I was working at the United Way, people took my course. If they say that up to five hundred dollars, at the end of the course, they got two thousand, which is great and so like, so look for IDA programs. Another thing, there's Naka Naca love Naka the neighborhood. I forget what stands for, but NAKA, right, it's this on this nonprofit organization that helps new homeowners purchase home so you can get a multi family I think up to four families with NAKA and NAKA will typically help you lock in a much lower interest rate than any place else and they commit for you to have no down payment. They really help with like no down payment, help with closing costs and you get a lower interest rate than what's out there, and so look at for NAKA programs also too. I would just consider, like, you need to start taking like these free first time home buys courses to understand the home buying process in general. You know, like, you know what is it you know, what is insurance going to look like? What is that going to look like?
Speaker 3: Shoot, property taxes.
Speaker 1: Yes, but also too, well, how do you get more in a mortgage? Also too, you're going to want to to connect with realtors in the area that you're considering purchasing, because oftentimes realtors will have their ear to the street, like, oh, you know what M ANDT Bank has a twenty twenty thousand dollars grant, this bank has, you know, there are grants all over And so I would say for the next honestly year to inundate myself with taking these courses, meeting with realtors, you know, reaching out to banks to see if they have any grant programs, doing your you know, your your research, and if you do that, before I start flipping, I would house hack and maybe consider doing some renting and so I can get some money up to do the thing that you're wanting to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious because she says she wants to save up money for her business, which I'm assuming is the house flipping. Should people who are thinking I feel like house hacking. You know, you buy the home under your own name and then rent it out. Excuse me, if you're wanting to then get into home flipping. Do you get a business entity like an LLC and then you purchase under that entity or are people out there flipping houses just like as themselves?
Speaker 1: I mean, ideally, you can definitely get an entity because you want to be protected anytime you have a business, Yes, and including that kind of business. For someone who's never flip before, I suggest hacking first because it's basically a slow flip. You know, you get someplace, hopefully undervalue. Maybe you need some new toilets, blah blah blah. You're living there and fixing it up while you live there and learning, Oh, don't work with that contract or he's a thief. Oh that's a really good painter. You're starting to build your team while you're house hacking. So when you finally get the money together, then you know, and you have a team together, then you can consider flipping. I do not suggest flipping right off the that unless you're partnered with an experienced flipper and you're kind of like working side by side, because you can do that too. Oftentimes these flippers have no admin assistance. They're a mess, So you might want to look for a flipper and offer your services to keep them organized so you can learn on the job. That's something you can consider.
Speaker 3: Too, and like start inundating. Like Tiftien said, inundating, I forget what you said with education around, you know, the home ownership process. I'd also recommend like following blogs or tiktoks from people who are in like doing it, doing the thing that you want to be doing, and just learning from their experience. I know blogs or so two thousand and four, but I remember Paula Pant from afford Anything. She used to do this in Atlanta, and I would read her blog and she was like very transparent about fixing up homes and living in them and renting them out in that whole process. And I anyway, she has a podcast called afford Anything. Also Bigger Pockets. I feel like it's more real estate investor focus, So maybe add those to rotation with brown ambition as well, and give yourself time because it's not something you want to jump into, you know. So I like that TIFFs like house hack and make it a slow flip because you're learning and all of that and saving, you know.
Speaker 1: Join these There's like a ton of like Facebook groups, so you can kind of sit back and like listen and learn because I like one of my friends, Christina, she she flips homes in Saint Louis and they do meetups all over the country where they just talk to each other, they share information. So you really want to consider, like, as I said, inundate for the next year, just inundate yourself with I'm part of this group. I join this meetup before you really start to like you're gonna it's a very expensive process. So the more education you can have because you're going to make mistakes and they're going to be pricey, but they can be reduced in price, you know, if you if you take the time for education. So good luck to you.
Speaker 3: Tiffany, that's Tiffany on Tiffany, y'all for v a q A. All right va fam again. If you want to submit your questions, you can hit us up at ig on ig We're at Brown and Mission Podcast. Oh Brondimission Podcast at gmail dot com. If you want to email us or just head to our website Brandimission podcast dot com. Contact us, but until next week bye.
Speaker 4: Hey ba fam. We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown and Mission Podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Emani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Demplinsky is our in house tech Turu and I am Bandy Woodrid Santos your co host, and I will see y'all next week.
Speaker 3: A