Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in ASA. I'm Stephen Carrol with Caroline Hepker and we're joined by our markets reporter Anthony Stevens for more. And so let's start in China than we're drive by Nvitiant optical components being used in data centers is helping to lift some companies in that sector.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting. The China's index is very heavy on one small subsection of the air trade, which is the optical transceiver. These are basically components that allow servers to communicate using lightwaves to reduce obviously the speed of data transmission. That's been a very hot sector and it had been lifting the China est past the hstick and to be honest, to keep up with the COSPY on the way up. But just like the costpit had gotten crushed recently. Now this new kind of validation of the optical sector by Nvidia, you know, focusing investors' minds on the kind of growth opportunity in that space. It's interesting that one of the big names in optical, Zongji in a light, had one of Hong Kong's largest IPOs in seven years. So it's been very lucky timing for Hong Kong investors on that IPOs, it's posted three days of strong gains. Also, it's a competitive e opto link in Shanghai is also trading quite well.
Speaker 4: Interesting turning data into light okay. In terms of japan banks continuing to struggle after the intervention into the year.
Speaker 3: Now, why it's been interesting to see the Japanese earning season on banks go really well at a headline level and be rewarded with pretty shocking price performance. And the reason for that is the go forward picture looks a lot more complex for the banks on the macro than it had been during the rest of the year. So now we have this question of whether the BOJ is going to continue to hike crate alongside a currency intervention. So it was skeptical. People were skeptical about the BOJ going in the first place. Now do they go alongside a tightening that comes from a stronger FX is an open question, and you're seeing that pressure on banks, most notably from MUFG and SMFG after their earnings, they've traded quite badly. And this has been in the context of a Japanese market that is struggling for direction.
Speaker 1: Here we'll staying in Japan. Some AI bottlenecks are helping to lift some names there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're seeing that trade recover a little bit, helped buy the kind of overall recovery from the Nvidia guidance at some of these niche events that they're holding in the AI space. So just like the Chinese index, you're seeing a lot of the aipicks and shovels trades pick up back in Japan after very sharp downturn. Names like Ibiden for example, or Renaissance, these names have finally recovered. And Fujikura, which happens to be in the same space as the Chinese optical names, is up seven nine percent. And we also have Kians, which is on the passive components side, up to zeo point four percent.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's also obviously a massive story in the market is because of the combined US Japanese intervention in the end market and the kind of comments from Scott Besst on social media which are really interesting. All of this are made a Japanese tenure government bond auction that saw the weakest demands. It's May twenty twenty five. What does all of this mean for the Bank of Japan and for central bank tightening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for now. On the FX side, the US and Japanese unusually well aligned. The US wants to help out so that the Japanese don't end up selling some treasuries to fund their intervention on their own. And you can see how kind of tentative the thirty year US treasuries are at the moment anyway, So that's quite well done by the US. On the Japanese side, they do need a little bit more legitimacy to help them strengthen the end because they have not that many bullets left in intervention until they come off with free floating currency mechanism. So you know, both sides coming together when it matters. But on the BOG front, a very interesting question to answer, which is is the economy running hot enough to justify an intervention and a rate hike? And there's a lot of debate around that because Japan's economy has just picked itself off off the flow and the currency is weakness has been a big part of Japan's booming exports, So you've seen that in the stock market. Exporters are really struggling unless they AI related, and there's a lot of doubt whether Japan can continue to grow without a weekend and how much the BOG really wants to go with that, the m life strategists and now internal b economists have been very strident, basically saying that without hikes there is no legitimacy to the intervention effort.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android otto with the Bloomberg Business app.