Speaker 1: Spoiler a lot.
Speaker 2: It's Rosie and me and Jason are on this video game episode talking a lot about video games and the Game Awards in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: So if you're downloading on Tuesday, don't worry, we are here.
Speaker 2: We're just throwing to game experts A Boo and Aaron to lead us through this conversation.
Speaker 3: Hi, my name's a Boo and I'm Snoop Dogg performing Sorry, I'm Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Your views solo on stage. Welcome to Xtra Vision Extras and x Ray Vision Series, where we dive deep into even more of your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Every superhero team needs side quests, and our rotating panel of producers and guest hosts will be suiting up to help Jason and Rosie cover all of the amazing nerd content out there all.
Speaker 3: Right In today episode, it is our big twenty twenty four video game roundup. First off, we're going to react to the game Awards, the trailers, the awards themselves, and then we're going to recap some of the biggest stories from the year, some of the biggest games of the year, and finally, the x Ray crew will share what game they are looking forward to the most next year.
Speaker 4: But first, previously on all right, Aaron, we got to start with a big one. Yeah, Astrobot one Game of the Year twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Have you played it?
Speaker 5: I've not played it.
Speaker 3: Did you play astro Astro's World that comes with the PS five?
Speaker 4: Nope, it's still downloaded on my PS five and I've never opened.
Speaker 3: To incredibly charming. I would highly recommend you play it. It's very short, it teaches you a lot of very fun things like how to use your controller, but it's a really smart, creative platformer, and Astrobot is even better. I am not surprised at I think it was an outstanding game that felt very unique, especially amongst this year's nominees. But I know that was not your choice necessarily for Game of the Year, right, you know?
Speaker 4: It was an eclectic year for Game of the Year nominees. Like just to remind folks, there was Astrobot, b Latro, Blackmith, Wukong, Elden Ring, Shadow of the Ur Tree, Final Fantasy seven Rebirth, and Metaphor Refuntasio. That is a weird collection of finalists for a video game year. Like usually you have your classic, heavy hitters like Final Fantasy is maybe the only classic heavy hitter in that list. Everything else has like something particularly unique about it, So I did not know who was gonna win going in. I played some metaphor and I really liked it. But that's certainly for a particular type of gamer who's really into the persona games, right and long hundred hour RPGs. I love Final Fantasy seven, so I guess those two who.
Speaker 5: Were my personal picks.
Speaker 4: But Astrobot is like if you look at the numbers, it is the best reviewed game of the year, like be really based off of like if you look at numbers across like Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Open critic, I do think it Astrobat and Bolotro are the shortest games. And that's one of the problems I think with like Game of the Year awards, Like it's realistic that you could see every movie that is nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. It is pretty unrealistic that you can play through each of these best games. I mean, the amount of time I put into the elden Ring Dalc alone prevents me from playing the majority of these games. And then to add on to that, Bilotro, which I'll talk about more later. Like that game is incredible, Astrobot is great. Like I did not touch Final Fantasy, I did not touch Metaphor, and I didn't even touch Black Mets Pukong, which I thought I would really get into, and I just never got around to it.
Speaker 5: Right right, who else the time?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly. Also, we had the best adaptation Fallout one over Arcane, and you and I both big fans of Arcane. It did yep, yeah, you know we covered it on extras earlier, we did the entirety of season two on the main show, right, So what did you think?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I think anyone who's listened to X ray over the last month and a half will likely know where I fall on this, But I don't know. I mean, for what it's worth, I only watched the first two episodes of Fallout, and I did love them, and I grew up playing you know, shit ton of Fallout three, Fallout four. I love that franchise, and I thought the TV show the first two episodes were great. But obviously I'm like deeply attached to Arcane in a way that's a little unhealthy. So just I was a bit bummed about this one. It felt like the wrong choice. I thought Arcane was the easy shoeing, and for what it's worth, they had, like they did a whole Arcane live performance, and I feel like even the Game show itself expected Arcane to win the one and like planned for that whole performance and everything.
Speaker 3: I mean, they couldn't really bring in anyone to do a musical performance from Fallout. I guess like all that music is from you know, pretty long time ago. But let's bring in Jason, Rosy and Joel to just real quick talk through these two TV shows because we have mentioned both of them. Jason did a huge deep dive on the variety of drugs available and Fallout. We did so much on Hurricane. What do you all think about Fallout taking best adaptation?
Speaker 6: It's I think it is a little bit of a surprise, But you know, what would an awards show be without a notable snub. I'm also you know, this is the I don't know how many you know what number year that I've been paying attention to and clicking in and out of the Game Awards. I have no fucking clue is there any I mean, like, how do they do around the world.
Speaker 7: Is there an app zero fu Yeah, I don't, I know zero about it, and I've always just kind of assumed, kind of like everything with video games, that there is some sort of like handshaken vaguline exchange that goes.
Speaker 6: On on the carriage, and that's a Fallout. I think was a great show. Arcane uh, more of a pioneering and yes, you know, groundbreaking show, whereas Fallouts is kind of in the format of something you've kind of seen before, but very excellently done. So yeah, I think a bit of a snub, but part of the course for awards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I also think if you think about it, like Accessibility buys, Fallout had a massive audience because of it being on Amazon Prime that was like way way outside of the standard.
Speaker 1: Video game audience.
Speaker 2: Also, it is, as Jason says, like recognizable prestige TV. But also it is one of the few really really good live action video game adaptations, so I also think that puts it up there. It was also, you know, generally very well received, whereas I think because of the massive, massive passion and fan base of Arcane, it was definitely Season two was like a little bit more divisive, whether it was the pacing or character choices, or who they chose to focus on. So I think that Fallout was a bit more of a easy choice though, like you said, I mean Arcane, I think is a groundbreaking TV show of which we may not get the like again, whereas Fallout was just a really, really expensive and well made prestige TV show.
Speaker 8: I think you're also coming in on the heels of a divisive second season of Arcane as opposed to a holy crap was that good season of Fallout? Like you're sort of entering at two several points. I'll also say if you're if you're the kind of dream member. To answer your question, Jason, a quick Google search revealed a ninety percent jury, ten percent fans voting system.
Speaker 9: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Question?
Speaker 6: Mark on details again, Yes, but I appreciate the information.
Speaker 8: That's a little bit of information I can provide. I think too, if you look at specifically the category of like adaptation, Arcane has a higher bar to clear because if and again I have not played Arcade, so correct me if I'm wrong. But it's not a very story driven like, no lot driven game, right, so like, whereas you have a lot of plot in Fallout and you can adapt that lore in that narrative and fit that season into the larger canon of Fallout. It's a little harder to do for our Kane because it's establishing something. So I think if you were like, as far as how am I judging it as an adaptation, I could see pulling the lever for Fallout over Arcane. But I do think it sort of came as a surprise and kind of a lovely one Ella Pronell having a great year, happy for her love Fallout looking for season two.
Speaker 3: We talked about it with our Fallout coverage that the main characters are the different play styles and Fallout where yeah, no one can you know, watch Arcane and then go oh, I can't wait to play like this, that someone's just gonna yell at you in the lobby that you're not topaning on.
Speaker 2: The only one that I do think is that when by the end of Arcane season two, I was like, oh, I understand why they made a best of the new character because she had those sick like scorpion esque calls kind of chains, so she was one character I was like, Okay, if I was ever gonna play this, I would play, but I'm never gonna play it because everyone always wants me like it's the scariest game to play in the world. Then everyone will yell at you, and I did my time with Halo Online. I don't need to I don't need to do that.
Speaker 9: Get in there.
Speaker 4: Well, while we have all of you here, how about we talked through some of the trailers and announcements. Because this is an award show, but it's mostly a three a long adver commercial. Yeah, so let's talk through some of the highlights. First up, Naughty Dog announced their new game that they've been working on for four years in secret since twenty twenty, Intergalactic the Heretic Project. This is a sci fi video game about a bounty hunter who's going after Kamail Najianni, who takes me.
Speaker 3: Out of ever.
Speaker 4: I love com so so much, but he keeps showing up in video games and it absolutely like takes rips. Yeah, he's a voice is a character in Mass Effect. It's so weird, but I love it. He's he's a longtime gamer and podcaster and so follow your passions, Kamail. What do we all think of this Intergalactic? What do we think of the reveal trailer?
Speaker 3: Looks amazing. I can't wait to play it in ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks it's great.
Speaker 2: Whenever it comes out, I will play it, probably when it's on sale. But also I do think it was really interesting to see the way that conversations are Naughty Dog have changed post the Last of Us, you know, because a lot of the reporting I saw on this was like an original sci fi ip.
Speaker 1: By Naughty Dog.
Speaker 2: So you know, the studios are just like lapping up, like, oh my god, when can we make it into a TV show?
Speaker 1: Like who who's going to be able to adapt it?
Speaker 2: Got a wait for it to come out first, guys, unless we're going to get into the space in video games like there are in books where people are kind of like optioning games before they come out, the same way they optioned books before they come out. But yeah, I mean it looks great. I love a Bounty Hunter story. I also love sci fi, and I'm very excited to see I will probably play this on easy mode in yeah, ten years when it comes out.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine a concurrent like TV show and game real ease at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be absolutely wild, but there's precedent for it.
Speaker 2: If you look at not in video games, but like, for example, when they were making the original Scott Pilgrim movie, Brian Ley O'Malley still hadn't finished the last book, so they were kind of making it alongside, and that was like a very interesting choice. And obviously that was because him and Edgar Wright were like collaborating and in that kind of mode. But I do think we could end up in a world where, you know, we're getting more and more corporate mergers and conglomerates and stuff. So there's probably gonna be a world where they're making a video game and its adaptation at the same time within the next few years totally.
Speaker 9: I mean to your point.
Speaker 8: Rosie Trent Reznor and Aticus Ross are doing the soundtrack for this game, and so we already know they have a pretty stellar run at film and television. Serially, Yeah, I'm excited. I think the mystery for this game is really interesting. He plays like a bounty hunter who gets stranded on a planet that lost communication with the rest of the galaxy six hundred years ago, and you're trying to get off the planet, but everybody who has left the planet has never returned, and so you don't know if leaving is a death thing or if you're just like, screw this planet, I got off goodbye. And then the character design looks fantastic, like really stellar love the weapon blunt electrified weapon is really cool. So the design elements that are available to us so far definitely have me intrigued and die Dogs on kind of a run.
Speaker 9: So I'm hoping for good things.
Speaker 6: I think the lineage of Naughty Dog is what you're going to be excited about here, Yeah, exactly uncharted Last of Us. The fact that this is a studio that is known for great story and gameplay elements that are high quality and really support great story. So I think that part of it is really intriguing in terms of like what we saw. Who knows, but I think the I just the idea that Naughty Dog has its kind of like first original story since the Last of Us set in space and a sci fi context is super super exciting. They showed us like very little, and to everybody's point, that makes makes me feel like this is years.
Speaker 1: Away, years away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, hopefully this next game is not that far away, because I know a boo practically you know, pulled his hair out over this next one. CD project reads the Witcher four a start of a brand new Witcher saga, with a teaser trailer focusing on Siri and uh no gameplay, no gameplay, not to inject my own personal biases, but a boo you were you were freaking out about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were, There was rumor of this, but we also got mere months ago confirmation that Witcher four has left pre production and is now in production, and.
Speaker 5: So it's so early.
Speaker 4: This is like years and years and years away. And I was shocked that the Game Awards like practically opened with a trailer about Witcher four, So that was exciting. I'm very excited to see Whicher Sirie back as a Witcher, presumably based on what we saw on this trailer. The vibes looked great. Uh there you know, the trailer claimed that this was in engine footage, So if the game looks, you know, even close to what we saw in that trailer, it'll be it'll be gorgeous. So I mean, I'm a huge Witcher fan, so I'm gonna be playing the shit out of this as soon as it comes out.
Speaker 3: And from the game that Aboo couldn't relax over to the game that I thought was actually a hoax when my friends texted me the trailer because I was watching the football game and they send this text to me. Elden Ring Night Rain co op survival action game. Yes, I am so excited for elden Ring to be nominated for a Game of the Year for the next five years running as from sooff just keeps doing new things under the elden Ring banner. I think this one looks to be drawing from all across the Souls franchise. There are moves from Secoro, there is the Nameless King from Dark Souls. People are theorizing that the fire Keeper from Dark Souls three is there. The main thing, though, is that from Soft games are notoriously single player. You can bring in other people to help you on a boss, or you can get invaded, but it is not a seamless co op experience. And this looks to be that. This looks to be like you and I load in and we play for an extended period of time and we are going to go start to finish. There's not you falling out when we beat the boss and I have to resummon you. This is its own thing. I'm very excited about what this could be Jason, You've played the DLC, right, mm hmm. The amount of things that we're introduced in the DLC of new weapon types, new combat techniques, and then seeing this which had even more things, just I am in awe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm a little. I am super intrigued and very excited. That said, I'm also like, they've never done anything like this before. And I love summoning somebody and I do it all the time because i need fucking help eating these bosses. But I'm gonna need more synergy than you'd show up. I show up and then we both just start dodging and hacking at a boss like uh. So I'm interested to see how they add value to the fact that this is a co op game and what the synergy between the players is because my initial reaction is if it's just like a long a game version of a summoning boss fight experience, that's kind of not enough. So I'm interested to see what else is there. And I'm sure, like you know, it's the reputation of this studio obviously speaks for itself, so I'm sure it will be great, but I'm really intrigued to know what else is.
Speaker 3: There next up from the creator of Shadows the Colossus. In the Last Guardian, we have something tentatively titled Project Robot. The teaser features this pilot climbing on a giant mech. The head ejects, and then this doomsday storm comes in and destroys the body of the mech. As someone who I have very fond memories freshman year of college, sitting in like my best friend's dorm room, him playing Shadow of the Colossus and me just like sitting on his floor crisscross like watching in awe. I cannot wait for this.
Speaker 8: I think this is the most anxiety.
Speaker 2: Anxiety inducing games when you suddenly realize that you have been on the wrong side of history all along.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for this. It looks it looks fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's just as mysterious and weird and strange as I would hope, And it was definitely like giving me. There's been a big mac resurgence recently, I feel like, whether it's in comics or whether it's in you know, even having like an ultraman kids cartoon on Netflix that was like so popular. It's it's really fantastic, Like I can't recommend it enough.
Speaker 1: And uh, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Just this looks so good, and I'm this was the one where I was like, Okay, they hooked me, like this is.
Speaker 1: They because usually I'm a smaller.
Speaker 2: Game guy nowadays, but I'm I'm I'm really ready for this when in five years, when when it comes out with a totally different names nothing to do with mechs for.
Speaker 6: Me, it's really simple. Nobody does a little guy climbing on a gigantic guy better than fumio. Nobody in the history in games does that matter?
Speaker 1: So that.
Speaker 3: On a big guy. Yeah, next up we have gearboxes Borderlands four. We had hints of this after the Borderlands.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, it's kind of funny that like they announced this and they were like, yeah, there's this cool thing coming, and it's like, guys, guess how we already knew this was coming out because you guys were like, thought that movie sucked, Well, guess what the game's gonna be bad, So we like knew it was coming in the most hilarious way.
Speaker 3: And the trailer has uh pod racing, grappling hooks, obviously, loot drops, and there's clap Trap set to launch in twenty twenty five. We didn't mention that about the Eldon Ring one as well. Nice to see a trailer that has a release date, even if it's just the year, like an actual.
Speaker 6: Release date and seemingly in game footage. Yeah, I'm probably the only Borderlands fan here, and I'll say I'm excited for this game because I like a game with a lot of guns where I don't have to think sometimes yes, silly silly guns.
Speaker 3: Next up, capcom released again just the title Okami sequel. There's not an actual name yet.
Speaker 2: If you haven't played at commy, no, because I was gonna say, like, this is such a legendary game if you love it, like I love this game. This is one of those PlayStation two games that, like I would just always rebuy and game stop because I would have set lent it to someone or something and I'd be like, oh, I got to play this again, Like yeah, this is a really beautiful game, and I'm just like, again, is it really going to come out?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I would love it if it does.
Speaker 3: If you've never played it, it's kind of like Legend of Zelda meets Japanese folklore with like a paintbrush. It's it's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I will say I think we've kind of been joking about it this whole conversation. This has nothing to do with Okami, but this I thought this Award show was actually quite solid, especially considering some of the stumbles and like decisions from.
Speaker 5: The last couple of years of award shows.
Speaker 4: But I think we will look back on this one and go, hmm, shouldn't have announced that so early? Like that was that was like really the vibe of a lot of these announcements, like, oh, comedy, there is no game. What they announced was we are going to a thing. Yes, there is no game to speak of right now.
Speaker 2: Like it feels to me and obviously like we kind of are familiar with this at this point, but it's kind of like you know those MCU slates they make where like at least is never coming out the Inhumans movie that never came out, you know, the same way that James Gunn's Gun of Us, which ones will we get?
Speaker 1: Like you never really know?
Speaker 2: Like this definitely had that kind of energy, but for multiple different studios. Like I don't know if you guys know, but the general rule of San Diego Comic Con is like a lot of people are getting those calls like the night the weekend before, like hey, can you be here like and announce this comic or announce this movie, and then you never know if they're really going to happen. This definitely was giving that kind of energy of like, hey, guys, got anything you could announce, like anything you're just excited about, Like I think you're right, I heard.
Speaker 3: Grand Theft Auto six is not getting shown, So do you have something.
Speaker 9: Else Thoastards still won't give us ship?
Speaker 4: Yeah right, no silk song, no GTA, we need to rail again with anything.
Speaker 2: In some ways, I think like it is kind of interesting because we are getting highlights on like other games that wouldn't necessarily have been highlighted in that way, like Dispatch, which looks really cool.
Speaker 1: It's made by like the guys who left.
Speaker 2: Tell Tale, but like, yeah, it is definitely funny, and I do think that in a few years we'll probably be looking back and being like, lol, remember when that was supposed to get.
Speaker 1: Made and it never got made? You know, it gives that energy for sure.
Speaker 8: The video game industry as a whole is going through a lot of upheopal right now. They talked a lot entering the game awards about the massive amounts of layoffs that have been sort.
Speaker 1: Of which people mention it actually, yeah, and.
Speaker 8: To honor somebody who's been trying to help folks get connected to the right jobs. Like I thought that was I cried. I was like, this is a very beautiful, heartfelt moment. But I wonder if the lack of announcements, and especially if we look at like still the impact of Skidi Project read Biffing Cyberpunks, if there's is this a reaction of video game companies being like if we announced too much, if we announce things too early, or you know, as their in development and they flop or whatever. Like we're very in tune to like almost every step of the video game making process now, and I just wonder if this is like a back because I remember like two years ago the trailers were immaculate and they were like Christmas two weeks from now, you can get this game, and it felt like very much more.
Speaker 2: Like it was interesting to not have any like surprise drop kind of trailers.
Speaker 1: They do love to do that, and they do like, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's usually more of a Nintendo Direct style for a smaller game, but this definitely does seem very far from anything.
Speaker 6: I wonder if part of it is that we're clearly coming to the end of the life cycle of their current consoles. Yeah, and a lot of this is about moving targets and hitting hardware that's not that doesn't exist now and won't exist for three years, And so does it make sense to show something now? You know? It almost makes you pine for the years of like the early aughts where everybody just made fake trailers of stuff, kill Zone two being the most notorious moment version of this, where Sony just like made a fake CG trailer that they said was in game footage and was clearly not in game footage. It was like the most mind blowing game footage. But yeah, I wonder if some of this is just like hardware. We don't know what hardware is going to be in a couple couple of years from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real quick. A couple more of the trailers. We got Shadow Labyrinth, which looks like a dark take on pac Man. It almost looks kind of hollow nighty.
Speaker 2: That's interesting as well because we did just get that secret Level show where they're giving like a scary pac Man episode, So I thought that was interesting. There's obviously a scary pac Man Zeitgeist going home right now.
Speaker 3: It's very strange to watch something that looks like Hollow Night and then have like the old school classic pac Man sound as he goes around, which is just kind of like Kumail took you out of Boo that took me out. Outer Worlds too. Also coming next year, Split Fiction, which is coming from Can.
Speaker 1: It be as good as it looks?
Speaker 6: I don't know?
Speaker 3: But actually really great?
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so I.
Speaker 5: Don't know if y'all played.
Speaker 4: It takes two, but this is giving it takes two plus sci fi energy and I fantasy both, Yeah, it takes too already fantasy though, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like Yarn and yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah this is the game too where I was like, this is so fast that you only need to buy one copy and you can play online with a friend.
Speaker 9: Like as a.
Speaker 8: Child whose parents were very selective about which games you could purchase and how many games a year, this is a miraculous fine And I think the idea of like, as a girl who's really into the fantasy games, we had a brother who was very into the science fiction games. I really like the potential of like bringing like mixed gamers together in a world where they can like sort of share their appreciation for each genre.
Speaker 9: Like this game gotta be really hyped. I love this trailer.
Speaker 1: It looks so good.
Speaker 6: It got me really really hyped. There's nothing I'm not seeing anything like this, really this type of ambition for a co op game, with that many different types of settings and seemingly gameplay, I'm very, very hyped. The one thing that holds me back is that I said this pretty us recording. But you know, usually a game, a really really good game like has one kind of core groop that it does like super super well, is really really really polished, and maybe it adds like a curve a change up somewhere in the middle of the game, like all like a platforming part or a driving part or something to just switch it up. This looks to have like several different types of types of gameplay, and I wonder if it can all be as polished.
Speaker 3: As that said.
Speaker 6: This looks fucking awesome. This was maybe my favorite trailer of the whole thing. There had one scene where it looks like the player on the left was in third person three D and the player on the right was in a side scroller on the same level, I mean, like insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And finally, they had a trailer for Tarrock Origins, which we have no idea what that is.
Speaker 2: Yes, is it even a Torock game or is it another game with the you know, serial number.
Speaker 3: Five dinosaur tro logo?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But I love a dinosaur. I will play any game with a dinosaur. I have played most of the Tarrock games. I'm a dino crisis person personally, so bring us bring that respect please.
Speaker 9: But the armor looked really cool in this some of the changes.
Speaker 8: I was like, as well, Yeah, seven to twelve year olds are about to get their whole lives on this game.
Speaker 9: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It's amazing to me when there's a remake of Joe and Mac.
Speaker 8: Though, can we talk about Project Century really quick as far as new trailers go. Jason had mentioned it before we jumped in. It's really really interesting from the same people that did Yukuza and like a Dragon Ryu got Go Toku Studios, and it's set in nineteen fifteen, and it's got some cool fantasy vibe but also some like cool mob vibes, and you.
Speaker 1: Have an La Noir vibe.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys played that, but that was like a b I played that game like extensively when it first came out, But that is a bit more physical, a bit less point and click looks like that.
Speaker 9: What were you excited about from the trailer?
Speaker 6: Just the Yukuza of it all? The the way the street looked again, very little to go on here, but what I saw made me sit forward a little bit. You know, There's this clip of the character who's being controlled, like stepping out of a building into the street of you know, nineteen teens somewhere in Asia, and it just it looked awesome. Then detail looked incredible, And I really loved the Yakuza games. I think they're super super fun and so ex gen version of that I'm in.
Speaker 3: All right, Next up, I think we should go through some of the live service of it all. From this year, there were many live service games introduced and closed. Most notably, we had Concord, which we mentioned on an earlier episode of the show. But Concord was undeniably probably the year's biggest flop. It lasted less than two weeks before it was completely shuttered. This was a game that tried to recreate Overwatch, Valorant, et cetera. But it cost money and all those other games are free to play, and this just it just didn't work. The studio got shut down, and then Amazon released a Secret Level based off of the game, So an episode of Secret Level. So yeah, yes, I hesitate to even ask. Did anyone play Concord? I did not log in a resounding no. Carmen is a not on Mike, but I know Carmen was a huge Concord fan calm.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is my.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be playing this for years to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every day.
Speaker 2: Definitely, nothing could ever stop me from playing this game.
Speaker 3: What Fortnite continues to dominate the gaming industry?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: They also just dropped Ballistic, a new first person five y five shooter mode very similar to Valorie or Teammate Shooter. So Fortnite continues to do everything. They now have racing and rock band and your character can have sneakers at like.
Speaker 4: A Lego like life simplom truly the.
Speaker 1: Sneak Is this such a big deal?
Speaker 2: I was in London with my nephew and he watches a lot of YouTube shorts and literally like at least forty percent of the videos were like look at Godzilla in these Jordans, look at Galaxy in these Jordans, like who is the tallest when they're wearing Jordan's who has the biggest feet? Arguably Godzilla has the biggest feet. But they did not agree on the shorts that I was watching.
Speaker 4: There is Yeah, I mean that that story Rosie like puts into perspective like the big question about for not like it just continues to defy any definition of itself at this point, like do we call it a life service game anymore?
Speaker 5: Is it an arcade shooter? Is it a looter shooter?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: It has like transcended culture in a way that feels like truly unprecedented, and I think like we honestly won't fully be able to articulate for years, Like years Donline will look back and be like, oh, Fortnite was the inflection point of X y Z changes in culture.
Speaker 6: They've just positioned themselves very very smartly to pick up gamers as they age out of roll blocks, as they age out of Minecraft, and to give them an on ramp into the main Fortnite experience that matches those experiences. And it's just really fucking smart and with all the corporate Tians, the ip Tians. It's just like it's yea, an amazing story, an amazing industry story.
Speaker 3: And they've done that incredibly well. You know, I've talked very briefly on the show about Magic the Gathering, a card game that has universes beyond where it brings in other properties, and people are very upset about it, Like they don't love that I'm playing with dragons and you're playing with the Transformers Cars. Fortnite has been doing that the entire time, and like, I don't think anyone right, They're like, look at I have Godzilla fighting, SpongeBob fighting, you know, like yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: That was something I learned, is like if somebody died and they had a skin in progress, well they'll do it. They'll release the skin for free, or they'll do something. They did it with Chadwick Boseman with the Black Panther skin. They did it recently with Juice World. Like there's all these kind of interesting intricacies that they are doing that we can't even really like comprehend, and they're introducing kids to all these different aspects of culture, and like my nephew doesn't even really play Fortnite like he plays like Spider Man two, but he will still watch all of those videos and wants to know everything that's going on in the game, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think like, for example, here's a string of words that I'm about to say that actually make no sense like this in a sentence, but it's an actual thing happening. Snoop Dogg's game studio will be turning the Justin Timberlake starring film In Time into a game within for minute.
Speaker 1: Again, what no, no know what I will say.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you something that you know what they love in fortnit What I've learned from my YouTube short Immersion is like they love like a weird gadget or like a gimmick. So in Time kind of makes sense because that idea of having honestly, I'm in where you can like sell time or have more time. I can see that being translated in some way, but that is legit the kind of like insane brain rot sentences that happen when you talk about Fortnite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Amanda's living up state doing Arc Digest tours of her ranch house, and she's like, keep my name out of us.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give a man a Sea Freedom money.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now sticking with live service, I didn't want to touch on. I mean, you can't talk about live service without talking about Destiny toom h game, that's that's doing worse than Fortnite. Yes, bungeee had a number of tremendously awful layoffs over the years, a particularly bad one this year in twenty twenty four. The future of Destiny too is like totally in flux. We've now had ten years of Destiny. Twenty twenty four was the ten year anniversary of the franchise, and like, I've been an on again, off again Destiny player for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: And it's just like.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I'm on again ever trying to like jump back into it. The future is super uncertain. They've changed up plans. They're going to release two smaller expansions instead of one big one every year, that sort of thing, more smaller updates throughout the year, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 5: And they are.
Speaker 4: Trying to work on the new player experience, but they have been saying that for years and honestly, like I, there's just no way you can explain how to play Destiny to anyone trying to play it today. And that's like the that is like the Achilles.
Speaker 5: Heel of the game, in my opinion. Is it just it's just so convoluted.
Speaker 6: It's structurally they're just like in a tough place, because, yeah, they have to do two things. One is honor all the time and energy that the hardcore players who have been there since Destiny one have put in grinding, grinding, grinding to get all the stuff. And two, they have to create a game in which the player base is replenished by new incoming players who aren't like who don't see how high the mountain is and just go, fuck this. There's no way. I have to get how many pieces of light and different kinds of currency to just fucking get the armor that everybody already had, Like, there's no way. And I just think that's an almost unsolvable problem because if you create an update in which new players immediately get good shit, the players that have been here for a while gonna be like, what the fuck? And if you don't do that, nobody's ever gonna want to play the fucking game. So it's just they're in a tough spot.
Speaker 3: It's really hard.
Speaker 2: It's kind of the opposite of for Night, because Fortnite is actually like so simplistic, even though the ephemera around Fortnite might batheloss people in our you know, twenties to thirties, the notion of like you go in and shoot people, like anyone can kind of jump into the game, whereas with Destiny is like, how do you explain that to like an eleven year old or how do you explain it to a forty five year old who's only just getting into video games?
Speaker 6: Yeah, to me that the killer app part of Destiny was always like the raids, Yeah, and like those to this day are some of the best experiences I've had in gaming. If you have like a tight group of players that you're playing with all the time, the amount of cooperation and co optness and just like having players shirper you through different parts of the raid, it was so fun. It's so inaccessible if you're just like a new player, that's like you have to almost like do like training cam to get to that level where you can then participate in the raid. And so I feel like there's got to be a way to get people into those experiences faster, and I just don't know what the answer is for destiny. I too have been off on again, off again player, but it's hard to get to the good part, which is the raids. That's what you want more of.
Speaker 3: Should we move on to just some of the hyped and popular games from the year that we didn't mention yet, and we won't be mentioning in our personal recommendations, but be remiss to not mention College football. This game was the biggest sports game. As someone who's played Madden and has downloaded you know, the most, the two or three most recent ones, and every time I play, I get part way into a season and I go, I don't like this game. Why did I download this again? And and then next year here I am again signing up to do another franchise mode and I dislike it. College Football, huge, huge game.
Speaker 2: I'm supportive of this game because I believe that this game is under the new laws that they actually pay the kids.
Speaker 1: Yes, So in that way, I'm supportive of this game. Will I ever play this game? No?
Speaker 2: I still don't really understand American football anyway, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Trying to maybe playing this game would be helpful.
Speaker 9: I'm going to teach you American football one days. Any people have.
Speaker 1: Tried to teach me, I'm unteachable.
Speaker 9: I will say it's been interesting.
Speaker 8: My brother plays the two K games, the basketball versions of these, and I was like, is this just sims for boys? You get to dress, they have little stores you can go to and druss your guy up, and then you get like a little apartment or whatever, and you can design that and then you have a career and you can fire your agent or key them. I was like, this is just the Sims for boys. I love it over here, so I could take a spin around the block. Maybe that could be fun.
Speaker 3: Next up we have Hell Divers too, which Jason will hit on later, another very very popular game, and they just dropped a new trailer game, Awards with a third faction. Very exciting. Also like vehicles and everyone can ride in together. Black Ops six. Does anyone play so oh eron?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't know if we stated this clearly.
Speaker 4: What you're listing right now are as of November twenty twenty four, the top selling games.
Speaker 1: Of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 4: So college football is the number one selling game as of November of the year, followed by Hell Divers, followed by Black Ops six.
Speaker 6: Yeah, college football was the game that got my friends that don't game that much back into gaming.
Speaker 9: Oh oh wow.
Speaker 3: Something. I mean, it is worth noting with college football that while something like two K or Madden feels like a rehash every single year, this was a brand new feel and very exciting across the board. I think the last three games Black Ops six, dragon Ball Sparking zero, Modern Warfare three. I have not touched any of them. I have nothing of interest to say about any of them.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I will probably play the dragon Ball game at some point, because I actually I love dragon Ball Fighters. So ever since that, at anytime there's a new dragon Ball game, I will usually take a little look at it, but I have no idea what it's about, and I'll probably be terrible at it till I get hyper fixated on it and then play it a bunch. And I'm I'm not a cod guy. I'm not I'm not called a Judy shoot a guy. So those are not things I have played.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think the takeaway here there's a lot list of the top twenty that I looked at, and it's mostly Call of duty and sports games.
Speaker 5: So what is sort.
Speaker 4: Of unchanged about the industry is we are getting a wider breadth of the types of video games. And we're gonna talk about indie games in a few moments here.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 6: Call of Duty still fucking moves units.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and sports games will keep selling every year. Just keep churning that shit out and slap a new year onto Yeah.
Speaker 9: This the on rap for Call of Duty is so easy.
Speaker 8: And maybe it's just because I grew up in a Halo Call of Duty world where that was sort of like my introduction to video games beyond the Nintendo sphere, But like, how easy is it to call your friends and be like cop online, We're about to kill some people, and then you could just be like ratchet as hell in the in the realms, like taunting people.
Speaker 2: The any reason that I didn't spend like hours every day day playing Marvel Rivals when I was in London with my family is because my brother in law was playing Call.
Speaker 1: Of Juwey with his friends.
Speaker 6: I mean, the thing that makes Duty easy is it's fast.
Speaker 1: You can play a game quickly.
Speaker 6: You can you can play it, you can get into it very quickly, and you don't you don't need people like you can go in at three a m there's nobody, you don't know anybody else that's up, and you can just like grind and go for it. Like that's kind of always been the utility of a of a black Ops and a cod game is like I need to shoot people right now. I can do it no matter what time it is, and it doesn't matter if my friends are on because I'm just gonna do my thing. It's not it's not the type of game like a Marvel Rivals or any other mobile type game like Valorie, like Overwatch, et cetera, where it's like, what the fuck is my team doing? I don't care what my team is doing. I'm just trying to get kill streak.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I actually.
Speaker 2: Lun a lot about different play styles while watching him play, because there is a whole realm of players and it was pissing him and his friends off so bad. But it's clear that it's a trope. Is like there's people who would just hide in a corner campus it's me and then just two people to get their kill streak up.
Speaker 1: And I was like, whoa, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm just I think I'm just like a tiny bit too old, and also like just I went on a different There was like two routes post Taylor that you could go on, and this was just not one I went on. But it's definitely interesting to see what these games look like now, where that shit looks like so real and people were just sitting around just like shooting each other in the head.
Speaker 1: Okay, get it out, let off that steam, guys.
Speaker 6: My twitch like nerve endings are fried. I just don't have it like that anymore where I can go into a cod game, especially now with the Black ops Omney movement, where guys are like kicking through the air and shit like, there's no there's no way that I could even try to play this one.
Speaker 8: Huh, Sniper's mess, baby, what it's all about. I don't like a battlefield game.
Speaker 6: That's the thing I like is like a wire ranging like a battlefield game with a massive map, sixty four players, and I can just be like, I don't feel like I gotta be like duking it out on the front lines with everybody else. I'm gonna be like doing my own thing. That's the type of shooter I like.
Speaker 3: We want to talk about some of the big big indie games this year, because there were a lot of really important ones, both in terms of the heights they reached as games, also the heights they reached as news stories. And for the first one, I think, let's throw to a boo. This is the game you played, and it is power World played is putting it very strongly. I downloaded it on my Xbox on a Friday night because a buddy wanted to play. I ordered some five guys, and I slurped on a chocolate milkshake while I tried to get anything in this game to work properly.
Speaker 2: Did you get to hold the gun as a cute Pokemon?
Speaker 1: And did you shoot?
Speaker 4: I never even made it that far because, like at the time I played it, it was so glitchy and buggy on Xbox because.
Speaker 5: It just came out on PC first.
Speaker 4: It's I've heard it's better on PC, but the console releases are a mess. And like we practically could not even we were having difficulty even like building our first work bench and building a torch and trying and trying to catch the They're not called Pokemon, but the creatures in the world.
Speaker 6: They should just call them Pokemon.
Speaker 1: Just lean in, just call that poket mon stuff.
Speaker 6: Just go for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's the news story we have in our script here. But I you know, I think they're even more hesitant to do that because unsurprisingly, it took Nintendo like way too long to get around to do it. So long they're getting sued by Nintendo for a couple of different copyright infringements. The one I looked at was at the concept of throwing a ball at a monster and capturing.
Speaker 2: It also as well, like it was very obvious, there were a lot of great side by sides of the designs where some of the tree coming very clearly, just literally it was like they traced over a Pokemon and then like changed the colors. You know.
Speaker 1: I think Carmen mentioned before she was.
Speaker 2: Like, it felt like they just like put every Pokemon game into an AI generator and will like generate me some non copyrighted Pokemon characters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I will say despite being sued by one of the biggest gaming companies in the world, that world is still doing stuff. At the Game Awards, they announced a new expansion coming out Suit Incredible, so I mean, more power to it.
Speaker 2: I did wonder at the beginning if it was like a publicity stunt type situation for both Nintendo game was never coming out because it felt like how could this be and how could Nintendo take such a long time to sue them? But yeah, very very interesting that they were at the Game Awards and they didn't just immediately get like arrested by a Nintendo's noise like brushing the stage.
Speaker 1: You know, how could you do this?
Speaker 9: I'm still so confused by this game.
Speaker 8: Like I had a visceral reaction to the trailer where I was like, I've never been playing Pokemon and thought, you know what this needs guns?
Speaker 9: Guns out here these.
Speaker 2: Stuck in some annoying battles against some smug students.
Speaker 1: I would be like, bring out the block, like I'll do it. I'll do it.
Speaker 5: You know what's always super effective?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? All right, Moving on one of the Game of the Year nominees. One of the Game of the Year nominees was Bilatro. Such an incredible game, one of my favorites of the year. Huge success. Also a huge success though, was Manor Lords Wikay have any of you.
Speaker 1: Played it now?
Speaker 2: I'm very excited to play it because I love this kind of game. But I did get into Blatro, so I did not have not played it.
Speaker 3: Yet and a Mayor Lord's the also solo developer, and it's sold a million copies the day after release.
Speaker 5: Wow, Quiz.
Speaker 2: I feel like we are in a solo developer renaissance right now, obviously sparked by Stardu Valley in my opinion, and kind of the way that has become one of the biggest games in the world. And now with Bilatro, which was literally just made for his friend's word or style, Like I've been reading a lot of interviews with him and he was like, I just made this for my friends, and I didn't expect it to become you know what it became. And obviously now with Manor Lords, which is like a medieval strategy building kind of time manager e type game. Yeah, very interesting. I mean a million copies off to release. I'd probably have a hot attack. If I make a game and that happened the next day, I'd be like Ah.
Speaker 3: Another solo developer, Indie hit Animal, Well, one of my other favorite games of the year, a very cute, vibey game. It's like a metroid Vania. It has elements of It's not a horror game by any means. I don't like horror, but it has like kind of some spooky, cutesy things going on, giant cats and giant animals. You play as this little blob and near universal praise. Very fun. There are countless inventive items, like you get a yo yo and you get a slinky, and these are like the items you used to solve puzzles. The game also is built in three layers, where like you can just play as a normal person and you beat the game, and that's layer one. Layer two is finding secret and lore hidden within the games level design and the background. There's like graffiti on the walls and it says something that references another part of the dungeon, et cetera. And then the third is like beyond even my understanding of Basically, the developer was like, I just want fans of the game to like come together as a community and talk about these things, and you maybe will develop like figure out the third layer, which that might just be James Gunn saying there's one more Easter Egg nobody's found, but hey, the game's incredible.
Speaker 2: And when you think about how old video games would build in like Easter eggs, and you'd be like go to the end of a maze and at a certain door, you'd open it and it would be like a guy being like I love.
Speaker 1: My wife and kids. Here are their names. Like, so I always believe.
Speaker 2: In the inventiveness of people programming to add like a weird thing gives me like just I haven't played it.
Speaker 1: I've only seen clips of it, but it does have a kind of night in.
Speaker 2: The woods like Vibe where it's like spooky animals but not scary. Different gameplay obviously, but that was like such a definitive game for people who like like indie game.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited to.
Speaker 3: Try that for anyone who is worried about spooky. I do not do spooky, and I like this game a lot, so it is not scary. It does not scoopy.
Speaker 6: So waiting Aaron, you don't like scary games at all.
Speaker 1: You're not a scary No, they do not like we should play.
Speaker 6: Like one of these co op Oh my god, let's scary.
Speaker 1: Let's get them to play like.
Speaker 6: There's a lot scarier games out there now, I understand. I absolutely play.
Speaker 3: I've seen clips of like them, the ghost Hunter games, and like you are all going back to the van and there's a witch chasing you and it's I don't know it would.
Speaker 6: I mean even the Friday the Thirteenth game, which is like imperfect.
Speaker 1: Perfect and you play it together, but it.
Speaker 6: Can be really fun. Could you even like to handle the Friday the Thirteenth game?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 9: I think that.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen any of it O online service games that is no longer having online service.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, I think this year is sad.
Speaker 9: Dying Light?
Speaker 6: Would you try Dying Light?
Speaker 9: Let's do a Silent Hill VR.
Speaker 2: Let's just we'll just do Like there's this iPad game that kids love and it's called Granny, and it's like you're just in a scary house and a granny is trying to hit you with a baseball bat and when she comes, she goes Granny.
Speaker 1: That's like a very popular kids game.
Speaker 2: What about all these basics where you're in a school and you have to do like scary equations, but the last equation is always impossible, and then Baldy kills you with his ruler and he hits your kids like freaky stuff. Guys they like, But I believe you guys can handle it. Five Nights of Freddy's You want to get jump scared?
Speaker 3: No, I don't like Jump Scared, I hate particular are extra yeah, you know you know that can handle like a long drawn out scare, but a jump scare is like.
Speaker 5: That's that's where it gets me, you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, moving on from and.
Speaker 5: You want to try.
Speaker 2: Ryan and Jason's New Passion now, it's like that's the scariest His game, The.
Speaker 6: Back Grounds is really like creepy pasta ish, so it might be that be a good one.
Speaker 8: There's an indie game where you just explore different cabins. You're like in a giant empty room and they just drop a cabin in and you have to go inside and explore.
Speaker 1: In the room.
Speaker 10: Outlast Trials, that one is actually like they just shut up, like stop it. We have to do where we just like black out all the light and we just do like four something.
Speaker 4: Yes, we'll do it for the content and only. Okay, continuing with our categories here, we wanted to talk about We're at the end of the year. It's December now, and there are stills some great games coming out that you know, we didn't see at the Game Awards just because it's December. We did see Infinity Nikki at the Game Awards.
Speaker 5: I'll admit.
Speaker 4: This is the first I heard about this game, and I was not ready for how much quote unquote cozy this game was going to try and inject straight right. Oh yeah, yeah, Like I think we've sort of we've maybe lost the plot on cozy a little bit. Like watching this trailer, I was like, is this cozy because we're just like it looked like so much.
Speaker 5: It looked like they took.
Speaker 2: Everything you had, Like there's a cozy game about being the Grim Reaper. That's one of the best cozy games ever made, Spirit Farah.
Speaker 1: So I think people are really like you can cozy and it.
Speaker 2: But I did not realize until this clip then finn Nicky was meant to be cozy. I'd only seen like a few clips, so I wasn't aware of the cozy nature.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, well, like the subject for the game is called is like the coziest game ever made? Is what they're calling it.
Speaker 9: Because here's what I remember from the trailer.
Speaker 8: You get a person that you can dress up in different towns, like you're what is the plot of when are you trying to accomplish?
Speaker 1: It's an open world.
Speaker 2: It's like a cozy open world game where yeah, exactly where basically.
Speaker 3: Like you like explore worlds well.
Speaker 2: Worlds, but it has like platforming elements, puzzle solving elements, it has dress up elements like uh link. It's basically like what if you were doing in Zelda, but you didn't have to fight any of the great beasts, like you're just looking around like cooking. It's kind of interesting too, because one of the games I was going to talk about later is and maybe on a different episode now because.
Speaker 1: I'm realizing we really went in on this, but like was.
Speaker 2: Wildflowers, which is basically like what if you were Stardu Valley mixed with animal crossing, but you're like a witch and you can change your clothes and you can go and like go into a special world where you can fall in love with a were wolf and stuff.
Speaker 1: So this is like a triple A. It feels like a kind of triple A version of that.
Speaker 2: I will absolutely be playing when it comes to a console that I have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and for for what it's worth, it's it's being received.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, yeah, it'd be amazing. That's how I found about out about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I see, like people clearly love it and to play about like have we lost the plot on cozy games. There was a debate the other day and I can't remember who was between, but they were trying to decide if Skyrim counted as a cozy game.
Speaker 1: No, I think that what it is, you can argue.
Speaker 2: I think that post boulders Gate, which is classed in many ways as a cozy game because of what wait a minute, on the Wired.
Speaker 1: I believe that on the Wired.
Speaker 2: List of best cozy games, they actually might have included Yeah, Dungeon Dragons, but cozy boulders Gate three.
Speaker 9: You spend a whole level just in hell, surrounded by it's.
Speaker 2: Fair, but people are like, but it ends your day ends with like a campfire and pajamas and snacks, and.
Speaker 1: You're like at home.
Speaker 2: So I think that because we are living in increasingly unprecedented and stressful times, I think people are looking for cozy and I think a lot of these games are learning from lessons of like, not me specifically, but people like me, where like when they play you know, Zelda, the newer versions that I'm spending so much time like cooking or like Rosie.
Speaker 6: Did you see that? Did you see the trailer for Tales from the Shire?
Speaker 11: Correct correctly me and them meet each other all the time, and I think that is the conversation that could be happening.
Speaker 6: That's cozy. It's like what if what I'm in my underground house making pins exactly, you know, that's what I.
Speaker 2: Want, Like Stardi Valley, you know, like Animal Crossing. But I think it's interesting what does it mean? Like how like you mentioned like have we gone too far and cozy? I think the bigger question is like how influential are these cozy games that all these Triple A developers are now like, well, how do we like sprinkle a little cozy in Like how do we get people to include Bouldersgate or Skyrim? Because in Skyrim you're going into a tavern and people are like, well, maybe that's cozy, Like I'm seeing an house and there's music music, And I think that like they're leaning into it because there has been this like massive movement towards that, whether it's like Disney doing Dreamlight Valley, which has obviously been super successful for them, that's basically like Disney Animal Crossing. I just constantly play games like Lemon Cake, a lot of like repetitive movement games.
Speaker 1: I actually put one in for.
Speaker 2: Our superlatives, which we'll probably talk about a different day, But I think it's really interesting because you're right, like Infinity NICKI essentially has taken all of the staff that you would have as a side quest in a game and been like, what if that is the main quest and it was a Triple A game, Like what if you're just gonna wander around with your friends and there's zero conflict.
Speaker 1: The question is when will the cozy bubble burst? Like what will be the.
Speaker 2: Triple A game that people go into expecting it not to be cozy that ends up being cozy that people are like, no, I'm done, no more cozy, only bad, only bad things now, only conflict.
Speaker 4: I think we're still on the cozy upswing, and I suspected a few more years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the next game is the opposite of Cozy because it is Indiana Jones in the Great Circle. This game is basically physics Abound and you just everything is an improvised weapon. No no, You are picking up umbrellas and throwing them at a guy, and then you're picking up a shovel and throwing it at them, and they catch the shovel and they try to hit you with the shovel. That's the only thing I know about the game.
Speaker 8: Nine pictures of straight Cats for Bonus Stuffy nine a half ten from IGN notoriously yeah above a seven.
Speaker 2: So I thought this is probably very beloved and it seems like people are enjoying it.
Speaker 8: The game opens, you get to recreate the Boulder scene, so you're doing stealing your way in the object the walls, and it's so good to watched us side by side of like that scene with the video games version of the scene, and you go from a third person to first person while you're running, and it looks so good.
Speaker 6: Guys, it does look really fun.
Speaker 1: Can I just get something off my chest?
Speaker 2: George Lucas stole that from a fucking stoogem dot comic.
Speaker 1: I just need you want to know it's a scrooge dot is the one who was originally running away from the boulder Like he did a great job. But isn't it to gather off my chest?
Speaker 6: I am gonna I am going to try this game. I was very intrigued to see Troy Baker's recent comments where he was listened nobody loves to voice a great job he's doing personally than Troy Baker and absolutely everybody doubted him. But he's doing a great job. He's his recent comments that I forget who it was, todd Ham and maybe or somebody was like, don't do it, don't dot, don't be Harrison Ford, the voice of Harrison Ford in the Nandie Jones game. And then you know, seeing praise from Harrison Ford saying yeah, I did a great job. That had me intrigued and the gameplay looks great. I'm in.
Speaker 3: Next up, we have Path of Exile to the open baita just released this previous week. For those of you who've never played Path of Exile, Path of Exile is like Diablo Evolved. If Diablo has a skill tree, Path of Exile has a skill star system. It is expansive.
Speaker 6: Anybody, Yeah, just go look at the screenshot of the skill tree. Just google the Path of ex to screen. Like skill Tree.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 6: My jaw dropped. I am both heavily like I think I'm gonna try and play this game at the same time, like that skill tree made me both scared and extremely intrigued.
Speaker 3: One of the nice things is it's a shared skill tree from all classes, and so you can do anything you want no matter what class you are, you just build them into it. And the fun thing is that every skill is customizable, so you create, you create a gem that you can sock it into any skill. So maybe I have a poison arrow and I have a lightning arrow, and I can get a skill gem that says you have a ten percent chance to reload your AMMO on hit, so I can put that into either one and I can customize. Oh, I actually want my poison arrow to be like the main DPS and the lightning one is going to be a fast shoot, and so you can adjust and really customize it. However you want one five skills.
Speaker 8: According to Pathtree's website, that it's crazy that.
Speaker 3: This is similar to Diablo. This is a game where the end game is like it's so common for I have a friend who played an intense amount of the first one. He was the first one I knew who got the second one, and he was like, the game doesn't start until you reach the endgame, and like, oh my god, max level is one hundred, and he's like, you'll never reach one hundred because like you're going to get enough out of the game well before you get there. The game is very very fun. I played co op with two of my friends last night. It was incredible. We're drastically different levels. We all had an equal and fun amount at least they told me. We all had an equal and fun amount of time, with me being the lowest level. But very very fun. I highly recommend it if you are. If you like Diablo and your favorite part of Diablo four was that you could customize. You know, this item would make my fireball instead of one fireball, three bouncing fireballs. If that's your favorite part, then Pathwaxyle might be for you. Okay, all right, And to close out real quick, everyone who's on, let's just what is one game that you are looking forward to in twenty twenty five or the game you're looking forward to the most coming in twenty twenty five? Joelle, what about you camping out in the corner over there?
Speaker 1: What game are you waiting waiting to shoot?
Speaker 7: Us?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 9: Yeah, let's see here.
Speaker 8: I oh, there's so many can I I don't.
Speaker 9: Know, I don't know, go someone else, come back.
Speaker 1: We go to me, Go to me, Tales of the Shia.
Speaker 9: It's a great pick me and will be there.
Speaker 1: On day one.
Speaker 2: We want to be hobbits. I want to see Triple A gamers get really upset about the fact that the animation doesn't look that good, which is like a classic part of cozy gaming. I want to make you know, potatoes every day. I want to just be cozy. I want to see if they're going to do any creatures or anything that's a little bit in that more spooky realm that some cozy games have been getting into but.
Speaker 1: Generally looks great.
Speaker 2: I believe it will be, you know, the first kind of cozy Lord of the Rings game ever, which seems wild but makes a lot of sense with the way the phantom is nowadays.
Speaker 1: I will be playing on day one.
Speaker 2: Me and Common will be there dming each other about how glitchy.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it is amazing. Jason, what are you looking forwards? You most in twenty twenty five Ghost.
Speaker 6: Of Yute, the Soccer Prices sequel.
Speaker 9: Yes is Man, that.
Speaker 6: Game circled on the calendar, underlined three times. I am unbelievably excited to play that game.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go assassins Creed Shadow, even though I've been burned and burned and set on fire and tossed over a cliff. I still just love the idea of being a secret assassin. I love Yaske as a historical figure, like very interesting person. I like that you're getting to play two assassins. It's the first time in a couple of games that we've been able to do that, and I usually have fun with that. I think their boating elements get better game. I actually like the sea fairy stuff, so I'm prepared to be disappointed again, but damn it, maybe Assassin's creed'll get me.
Speaker 9: Back a boo.
Speaker 3: What about you with your your most anticipated game of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Death Stranding two. I thought Death Stranding one was like one of the most unique games I've ever played. I went in knowing like nothing about it and kind of expected based off conversations I was seeing online, kind of expected to bounce off of it, and just couldn't stop playing and blasted through the whole thing and walked away being like, I don't think I've ever played a game like that. I know that's a bit of a basic Kojima stand take, but kojimas Kojima for a race.
Speaker 1: A legend for a reason.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, like, it's incredible, and I'm so ready for Death.
Speaker 3: Stranding too, how about you, Aaron, I guess it has to be one of the many VR horror games you guys have mentioned.
Speaker 8: The.
Speaker 2: Five Laps of Freddy, the Five Nights of Freddy's Racing Nights.
Speaker 5: Freddy seven.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you everyone for joining us. We will have more video game coverage coming soon. We're gonna do a superlatives and some of our favorite games on upcoming episodes of x ray that's the episode. Thank you for listening, Thanks for everybody for being here.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 6: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sumpsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Lron and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi on discoord Moderato