Speaker 1: Warning warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for Jurassic World Rebirth, the newest entry into the sprawling Jurassic Park franchise.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Rosie.
Speaker 2: Knight and I'm Joel Monk.
Speaker 3: Hey, Joel, Welcome back to x ra Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 1: We are here at iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Where we'll be bringing you episodes Tuesday and Thursday, plus all summer long.
Speaker 1: We're highlighting the summer's biggest.
Speaker 3: Movies every Friday in popcorn popouts, plus news on Saturdays.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, recovering the newest entry into the Jurassic Park franchise, Jurassic World Rebirth, which was an incredible film. Before we get into our full uh uh you know pop out here breaking everything down. Uh, we got giant dinosaurs, three of them, three giant diasaur, a diosaur hunt across the equator. Boats are flipping nineteen boats flip over this.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: If you are like me and you love water dinosaurs slash find them really scary. Oh, this is a great movie for you, Like this is giving you everything you ever wanted. Dinosaurs you didn't even know could swim. Guess what they're swimming. Yeah, just like a completely fun, rioteous summer blockbuster. I feel like this might be the sleeper hit of the summer just simply because Hey, you may have forgotten this.
Speaker 1: Because of the sprawling.
Speaker 3: Jurassic Park franchise that we mentioned, But like when Jurassic World one came out, when they rebooted this, it made so much money that Disney did like a celebratory like handover of like, wow, you beat this Avengers movie. You know in Jurassic World did it back when Avengers End Game eventually beat him. But like, these movies have got the juice, the people love them. It's a new era, and I actually think this has got a lot of rewatchability because there are so many weird dinosaurs. There's so much fun stuff. So yes, we are gonna recap the whole movie. But before we do, remember great news. We're gonna be at San Diego Comic com Come find us, say hi. Me and Joel will be there. Jason's gonna be there. Ian's gonna be there. We're gonna be hanging out with the Den of Geek crew. We're gonna be on some panels it's gonna be great. So just keep an eye out to our socials and the discord to find out where we're going, and come say hi because it's San Diego, baby, and we're gonna party. It's gonna be fun for fun. And now, as always on Extra Vision, the recap finds a way.
Speaker 2: Jurassic World Resurrection begins on the Aisle Saint Hubert, which rebird bitch, Yes, we listen. We're ad the International Genetic Technology Vibe.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is the International Genetics Technology Inc. That's engine. Uh. They're concerned by they drop of visitors at Jurassic World. They're like, hey, people are bored with dinosaurs somehow, and they're so in an ability to try to revamp sales. They're mutating dinosaurs always wrong. It's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We didn't learn our lesson from frogs the first time, so we're taking bigger swings this go round. One of the scientists is hungry, so he grabs the Snickers, as you do. But unfortunately he's also a mess, so he try hot mess.
Speaker 1: He literally drops a rapid justice.
Speaker 3: He's about to go into a very sterilized zone. I also love that Snickers was like, yeah, do some product placement, but we don't care if it causes a terrible disaster, which because a lot of corporations do.
Speaker 1: Not like that.
Speaker 3: But Snickers was like, hey, if you leave that wrapper on the floor, if you lit, things are.
Speaker 1: Going to be bad for you. And we support that.
Speaker 2: This is actually an anti littering campaign from Snacks. So, uh, it gets sucked into the door, causing all of the doors to now stay open. They don't close. It's a problem. Machines start flashing malfunction and an alarm goes off, so scientists begin to evacuate, but the emergency doors start to close, and now our stinger meeting friend cannot get out. But there's a fail safe. You can time your opening the door with somebody on the other side by turning keys and doing a countdown. Ladies trying man, this scientist she's in here. She's doing to the key. They're counting numbers on fingers. But uh, oh oh no, the distortis Rex. Our alien inspired mutant dinosaur friend pops up behind the guy and listen that ran corps is gonna take him down. There's nothing he can do. She can open that door. It's she stays and stares him in the eye and cries, which is very Godzilla of her, and I.
Speaker 3: Think also like Star Trek of her, like looking through the door like a spot.
Speaker 2: Oh oh man, what a touching moment. So five years after the events of Jurassic World, Dominion, Martin Krebs is played by Rupert Friend. He's in a three piece suit. He's too cool for dinosaurs. He's a capitalist villain and pretty much right away you're like, this guy's a dick for him to die, Yeah, we know, and we're aware. He works for Parker gen X, a pharmaceutical company, and when his cargets stuff in traffic, there's a dinosaur in the middle of New York just dying in the street, and instead of being heart broken or concerned, he wishes death on this beautiful beast and walks away annoyed. A true villain emerges. He's on a mission to recruit Zora Bennett, that's Scarlett Joe Hanson for an impossible mission to the Equator, which has sort of been not quarantined off, but it's a no go zone. They're like, you cannot come here because this is where the dinosaurs are holding up. Climate change is killing them off, Dinosaurs dying everywhere, showing up, not supposed to be.
Speaker 1: This little equate space that is, Yes, so.
Speaker 2: Zora works in security, but she's earned some debts over the years. She is she's not doing this job for less than eight zeros. She said, come through with the money and without flunching, Crebs agrees. This corporation's pockets are deep and they are determined to craft a cure for heart disease. So Zora's convinced. She agrees to join together. Zora and Kreb go to the museum to find doctor Henry Loomish's Jonathan Bailey in his slutty little glasses.
Speaker 1: I'm fanning myself, it was. He is very very very very very gorgeous in this what ude.
Speaker 2: And he's a paleontologist too, So I mean, honestly a full package here, and not just any paletogis. But you're the student of the late great Alan Grant. Beautiful, so beautiful. Henry's museum is failing. There used to be a line around the block and a three hourway ticket, and they've had twelve guests this week. So they're packing up the fossils and preparing to close the exhibit because in this world, people are really over dinosaur.
Speaker 1: I love this idea.
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, there's always going to be five year olds who want to go. Even if they've seen every dinosaur, they're gonna want to go.
Speaker 1: Five year olds love a dinosaur. I was one of those kids.
Speaker 3: It's not believable, but I love this statement that it is making, which is even in the world of Jurassic World, which when they rebooted it with Chris Pratt and Bryce Alice Howard, the idea was people were already getting tired of dinosaurs, and that's why they had to make the indominous Rex, why they had to make scary stuff. And so I love that this is kind of an extension of that, which is like, guess what dinosaurs got free? They started to die, and now they're just like a hindrance, Like there's the Brontosaurus in the middle of New York getting in the way of your traffic. It's a very clever and depressing read.
Speaker 1: But also I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't believe it, because I believe there will always be a love for dinosaurs, but it's an interesting status quo.
Speaker 2: It definitely gives a nice meta quality to people being like another Jurassic part series, Mike God and so that's sort of the where I do. I was like, Okay, this is a cute, interesting way, and I think you have to make it unique and different. This world from like a reason for us to come back, and this is an intriguing reason definitely. So they're packing up the fossils and preparing to close the exhibit. Loomis has been assisting Martin Krebbs and the company in doing the research, but he has never been in the fields. Not a field guy. He's all, you know, history studying the fossils, he explains to looking for three giant dinosaurs who lived over one hundred years when they were alive, and these are gigantic folks. The hope is that by drawing blood from these living creatures, they can use genetic material to cure heart disease, the leading cause of death globally. Crebs is practically drooling on the floor over the cash at this point. While Loomis was happy to help academically from a distance for this project, he is shocked to learn that they want him to go on the exhibit as a field expert. He's not the type to break the law which is absolutely what they're going to be doing.
Speaker 1: But ayont A Dinosaul, the heart.
Speaker 2: The heartbreaking and terrorist. He's sitting on the floor being like should I go? Do I not go? And they're just patiently waiting for him to make up his mind, and about two minutes later they're like, so we're good to go, and he's like, yeah, let's do this. So now our gang is traveling to pick up Duncan Kincaid, that's my Herschela ali if Zora is the security brain. Kincaid, a longtime friend and business partner of Zora's, is like a security captain. He's got the boat to get them to the equator and additional guns to keep them safe. And although you know they're not, they're already down here. Krebs has no alternative plan. So Zora and Duncan run a very Ocean's eleven style game on him where they're like, well, gosh, we'd love to go, h but the money, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, you're dangerous.
Speaker 2: How how can we possibly do? And so Crebs is like, you know, I'll give you Duncan the same amount of money I gave Zora will double the expenses of the strip. Literally money not an object. Let's go Okay, So enter Bobby at Water. That's ed screen a shoot, first asked questions later, member of Duncan's team. He tries to pull scheme agains Or and dunk Can assure him, Hey, we already got the bag. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: I am about it.
Speaker 3: And I love that it's such a funny moment because it really this is a very stripped back version of Jurassic Park kind of law, and a very different version because you have these kind of mercenary characters going in. But I love how well they establish this team, Like you feel the banter is there. They've run this scheme before, they've done these kind of extraction missions, usually for humans or things rather than you know.
Speaker 1: Dinosaur blood. But I actually felt like this was so well.
Speaker 3: Established that I immediately believed that they were a group, which I think is one of the key things that you have to believe to enjoy this movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, the chemistry and energy if you're casting for both groups is really interesting. So you're going to be our second group. So already on the Atlantic is Reuben Delgado. This is Manuel Garcia Rulfo and his two daughters, Teresa Delgado played by Luna Blaze and Isabella Audrina Miranda. Oh she so good, so precious, and so talented. Ruben wants his daughters to sail across the Atlantic, so he's teaching Isabella while complaining about Teresa's boyfriend, Xavier played by David Yacono. It's Exavier is trying to steer the ship, but when he finally emerges from the bowels of the ship, he's too tired from sexing his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: And I also love that this is a new and this is correct. If I'm from fans, I'm sure you will. I'll beloved discord uses and extra vision listeners. But I think that Xavier introduces a very important archetype we've never had in a Jurassic Park movie. Stoner, you get him in like every horror movie. But Xavier is like, he's kind of lazy. He's just in the fucking boat, fucking this guy's daughter. Like the dad is so chill about as well, like he understands.
Speaker 2: Trying to bepressive. Good dad. He's like he's like, I'm not going to yell at her, because that's what pushes girls closer to their douchey boyfriends. He's like, I'm really gonna I think you're a smart, intelligent person, So I'm trying to understand the decision to be with this guy who I think is completely worthless. He's out here stealing your sister's liquorice like a crazy place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I even though it's meant to be being you know, ration so that they can have some as they go across this mission. But I have to say, Xavier unexpected faith character arc for me. Like I say, he comes around, yeah, and they didn't just do like, oh he's useless and he's gonna betray them or whatever. There's like a much more interesting kind of angle, which I really enjoyed.
Speaker 2: And how many patients really worth it? Like he's a great dad. He's such a good dad. He's really trying to teach them. Unfortunately, you know, Teresa and Ruben are exhausted because they've just been trading off every twelve hours stearing this ship while Xavier gets his beauty sleep. But then oh is a velases a fin pop up on the side, and it's it's not a small one. Oh no, it's a spiny saurus.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I think at this point it's the massasaurus.
Speaker 2: So I was looking up mass of sauruss don't have fins, and that's why I was confused. So there is a mostaurus and there is a spinosaurus.
Speaker 1: But the massaurus has the shock fin that does.
Speaker 2: I think. I'm pretty sure that at this point this white research got really confused. At this point, I can't.
Speaker 1: Right, because you know what they do.
Speaker 3: They go off to its that like, oh, the spinosauruses are helping them, and then the helpers.
Speaker 2: This was the logic I was trying to figure out. Okay, so the mastasaurus is the most feared creature in the ocean. Okay, It's fast and strong, and the ceature begins to ram their vote is essentially flipping the vessel. Okay, the entire family falls off. Eventually able to get the girls on the underside of the sinking ship, but Xavier is trapped inside. So we goes down and try to rescue him. Uh. And he tells the Xavier like, before you get out, grab the radio so we can made it. But it's chaos. The creature is still ramming in the ship is sinking. Uh. And Reruven runs out of press so he has to pop back up. Now we don't know if Xavier is gonna get out. It's very tense and scary, but he does. He gets out, he gets the radio, they're able to call a may day.
Speaker 3: Also, something I loved about this scene is that you don't fully see the massasaurus at this point, like it's very much just like this giant kind of creature flipping the vote. It's clear that Isabella is like really scared of dinosaurs and is aware about they keep being like they're not gonna show up, Like there's the whole ocean, why would they be here?
Speaker 1: And I watched this in forty.
Speaker 3: X, thanks actually to our friends at the hashtag show that they got me and my nephew in and we.
Speaker 1: Were we were watching the movie in forty.
Speaker 3: X and this sequence where they're like shaking you up in the water, spraying in your face so good, Like absolutely would recommend forty X. Very Jurassic World. The ride coded like what you get a universal. They gave us like fun punchos like Dennis Nedri wears it was. It was such a good action sequence and I was like, okay, okay, this this movie looks like it's got the dinosaur juice, like you know, we're practice, we're practical effects guys here, and there's only one fully practical dinosaur in and it's a very small dinosaur.
Speaker 1: But I have to say, I think Gareth.
Speaker 3: Edwards, the director, and the CGI team and the BVFX team did like an unreal job, because you really think this massasaurus is real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's scared, genuinely terrifying, and you love the family. Like the script does a great job of, like the actors obviously really selling this family as a unit and being so sweet and it really grounded, like this is an eighteen year old girl who clearly knows herself pretty well, and it's confident on the ship. She's able to like tea your sister, her sisters, like such a fun kid. She's you know, she's scrappy, she's like suspect of this boyfriend. She's enjoying sailing. But you know, she's very little, so there's only so much she can do and so you're genuinely terrified. So okay, So now we're back on Duncan ship. The mission is progressing as planned. Henry Limis devonstrates how they'll be pulling blood from these creatures using a dark gun that will project itself into the air after it fills with blood and parachute gracefully to the ground. He asked if he can take the shot. They're hunting the Muscastoris right now, and Zora was like, yeah, sure, you could hang off the side of this boat going several knots ow.
Speaker 1: You can do it. I believe in you.
Speaker 2: And he's like, maybe not. Emma lens and let Zora take the shot. So Zora and Duncan catch up, Zora reveals she's lost a team member to a car bomb on her last mission. You get to change the subject. She has Duncan if he and his wife were able to work things out, but the passing of his young son was too much for the couple to bear, and they dissolve the marriage. So they're both they're sad colleagues who aren't quite sure what the future holds for them. The meeting signal reaches duncan ship, and while Crebs and Bobby want to continue the mission, Duncan and Zora insists on rescuing the family.
Speaker 1: Love that. I think that's great. I think that's a great twist.
Speaker 3: I worry always about kind of black ops mercenary stories, but actually I think here they do a really incredible job of showing how being someone like that can destroy your family, can destroy your loved ones. And at this point, both Duncan and Zora are trying to make amends for the things that they have done. And I think that the way that that collides that the original Jurassic Park scream writer David Kapp, who came back for this, kind of ties those in makes this a very emotionally satisfying story, even though it's a very kind of stripped back one.
Speaker 1: I think that the scripting is so.
Speaker 3: Good that you absolutely believe that Duncan is he will fucking shoot Crebs in the head before he doesn't help this family.
Speaker 1: And this starts to really set up.
Speaker 3: Some good drama between the boss of the mission, who's the moneyman who's definitely in that lawyer kind of space from the original Jurassic Pass, and the kind of good guys inverted Commas who are willing to take, you know, an hour from the mission to go and save this family.
Speaker 1: Now, what this family really want to be saved?
Speaker 3: The depending on where this is going question mark, Okay, I would like to not be saved.
Speaker 2: So when the crew arrives The family is grateful to be rescued, but are quically concerned by the fact that they're being with. They aren't being with to safety, but instead of now being forced to hunt down the creature, they just escape. Okay, we're gonna carry a quick break and we come back. We're gonna find out how this hunt goes, and you win. It's not good. It's not good.
Speaker 1: Bad back We're back.
Speaker 3: And I gotta tell you, guys, I gotta tell you my deepest, truest thing about myself that I know is that if they open Jurassic Park, I would go, so honestly, like, I never judge anyone in these movies because I'm like, you know what, this is a bad idea, you're going to the island. But you know, if someone told me I could see a dinosaur, I would also go.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, can't judge you, guys.
Speaker 2: I really can't. I really can't. Okay, So we're on the ship. The children are terrified. Dad is tense, but the crew feels like they've got this under control. This is what they came here to do, and at first thought it's fine. Zora takes her post at the front of the ship, where loomis sort of suggestively straps her in, which is yes, because she's absolutely gonna be not prone during this fight.
Speaker 3: There is definitely some like I That's another thing that I'm enjoying, is like, I'm really enjoying the fact that they play with chemistry in this movie, very much like the first Jurassic Park movie, and they're not necessarily committing to it, but they're like, hey, this is a high pressure, intensity situation, and there are hot people here, and maybe in these kind of moments like Henry, for example, we kind of learned that he is secretly an adrenaline junkie. He just never knew, you know, So you get to have that kind of well, of course, like hot people are gonna suggestively like kind of because they're right at the edge of this like massive adventure, and there's an excitement and a chemistry there that I think really comes through.
Speaker 2: It does, and it's subtle enough that if you're like I don't like a force romance, it'll slide buy and it's not in your face. But if you're into hot people flirting with each other, enjoy. So she's there, she takes a shot, it's good, she makes it. It's a little bit of trial and error, but she gets it. Uh. Lewis catches the parachuting vial, So victory, we did it. Uh, but our guy doesn't hunt alone. Here come the spinosaurces. How smaller?
Speaker 3: This so really scary interesting to imagine how dinosaurs would interact with each other and start to help each other, just like in the natural world of animals, as we know.
Speaker 1: Very good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and because they're smaller, they're able to attack in a completely different way than the massasaurus. So they're able to sort of like get closer to the ship and they're biting and lunging it. People. During this fight, we lose a couple of folks. Duncan steering the ship and in order to escape, he's like, you know what I'm gonna do, I'll just steer into the rocks smaller we can navigate. Of course, the spina sources are all up in that be the rocks are starting to shred the ship. Ruben tells Teresa, Hey, you gotta go make a may day call because this ship he's down.
Speaker 1: And also he's like, we just need to get off this fucking ship. These people are crazy.
Speaker 3: Like, just go make the call, and she does, and then we, yeah, are truly if you were not sure that a billy and a big farmer guy was the villain, you're gonna know he's the villain now.
Speaker 2: So Teresa gets to the phone, Keeber tells her, Hey, don't don't make the call. It's fine because again they're in an illegal space. He doesn't want the mission to be disrupted. She starts arguing with him, but oh ship gets rammed and off she goes. So she is now overboard and keep her has the opportunity to extend an arm, throw her a life vest.
Speaker 1: Tell you she's her fall off, like it's so crazy, well.
Speaker 2: A literal teenager. He's like, well, I guess that's what the universe wanted and walks away. So when she falls off, Xavier our guy is like, not my girl, and sweet guy.
Speaker 3: Jumps in like no problems be damned.
Speaker 1: He's like, fuck that.
Speaker 3: So he's winning Ruben over in this moment, winning Isabella over because he doesn't even think about it.
Speaker 1: And then Rubin and.
Speaker 3: Is like, hey, Isabella, let's just jump in the water because honestly, like these dinosaur hundred people are nuts and we just got to try and find this alleged village elsewhere on the island, and they had hypothesized a little earlier that the reason the dinosaurs were attacking the ship is because they felt it was a predator.
Speaker 2: So, okay, attack the ship. We will swim way to safety. Zora and Loomis mean while are putting floaties on all the equipment because they're like, this ship is going down, but we have a mission to finish, so everyone takes through the water to timpt out run the creatures.
Speaker 3: There's some interesting scary moments here where there is another character who we barely get to meet, who's a woman, a female character who's on the boat, and we kind of see as Zra and Loomis are like stuck on the boat. There's a great moment if you see it in forty X.
Speaker 1: I'm not even sponsored, it was just really that good.
Speaker 3: But as the boat is kind of crashing there underneath the rocks and it's like crunching on them and they're having to dive down, and eventually all the floaties get there, and this poor lady rip to this one woman on the ship she is find the bag of floaties and she's kind of, oh, thank god, she's trying to push it to the shore.
Speaker 1: She's at the shore.
Speaker 3: And if you have an eagle eye, you may see something move to the side of her. And if you don't, then you're gonna get an incredible jump scare because a spinosaurus grabs her from behind and just the eats her and it's really really scary. The eleven year old I saw it with this was definitely his biggest jump scare. She was really really freaked out by it. Rip to that person. Duncan arrives on shore and you kind of he starts to realize, like fuck, like we just lost two of our friends. Is this job worth it? Can we really do it? And also like now the boat's crashed, Like what did this fucking creb sky plan nothing? But Zora is very good at her job, So she did plan something, didn't she Joe out?
Speaker 2: So Zora is very good to her job, and she's like, listen, a helicopter's gonna swing by for you guys in like forty eight hours at sunset if we don't radio in, which we can't do now, so they're only gonna do one fly by. Though this does seem not smart. You're in the air, you can't get caught, but whatever. So they're like, we're gonna do one fly by the island, so all of you guys need to be on high ground where we can see you when we fly by, or you're the abandoned forever on this island nobody ever comes to. Okay, great. I think the jump scare you mentioned really opens a door to like the cinematography of this film between so well into horror, and what's great about horror is things in the background, small movements, Yeah, really up the intensity. And to do that with giant dinosaurs frequently you have done popping out of all kinds of button from behind them, boat out of tall grass, from the water the.
Speaker 1: Best. Yeah, you're right, that's such a good call. There's a great moment where.
Speaker 3: You kind of like the classic fridge scare in a slasher movie where you think someone's going to be behind the door and they're not. They do such a fun version of that with the t Rex here. I think Gareth Edwards, it's such a great part and we're gonna get there and and Gareth Edwards he directed Rogue one.
Speaker 1: Obviously we love Rogue One. We know that Tony.
Speaker 3: Gilroy was very heavily involved in that as well. But also Gareth Edwards broke onto the scene with a movie called Monsters that was an indie sci fi horror movie about an unexpected kind of couple who had to travel across this part of North America that had been taken over by by like giant kind of kaijusque monsters. And and I think like from then he really established his style as a director. And also most recently he did The Creator, which was not necessarily like the indie hit I think that Disney wanted it to because it was an independent original movie, but it was very lauded when it came to the visuals, the way it looked, the cinematography, the special effects, and I think Gareth Edwards once again shows like he is a thoughtful, interesting filmmaker. There are so many jump scares here, but you also get those moments.
Speaker 1: Of just huge scope.
Speaker 3: He has such an interesting eye for how you shoot a giant dinosaur, because that's the thing is, these dinosaurs are the Titans, they're the colossals, they are the biggest dinosaurs. And in a very hilarious and Avatar the Lost Airbender coded thing, they have to get blood from the biggest dinosaur in the water, they've done it, Massasaurus, biggest dinosaur on land Titanosaurus, and biggest dinosaur in the air, which I believe is.
Speaker 1: Called a quite a coatless or something along those lines. But it is very scary and big.
Speaker 3: And so the one thing that CIBA didn't tell them, though, is that this island is not just some leftover like isla sauna or something. This is where all the weird experimental mutated dinosaurs are staying, which, sir, you should have told them that first.
Speaker 2: That is a day one asterisk in the contract that it absolutelys to be highlighted and underlined mutant dinosaurs live here. But it turns out like the company could have destroyed it destroyed the dinosaurs, but they were like, yeah, those were really expensive and now we can just hide them as line items, and so we don't have that glit. It's a multimillion dollar loss or you know, danger but thousands of miles away. So of course capitalism. Okay, so now we're in the jungle. The jungle is an unkind atmosphere. Duncan describes it as nothing you can see more than three feet in front of your faith and constantly eyes tracking you, and he makes a declaration that seems like it will seal his fate. He swears he's not going to die in the jungle, at which point I'm like, so long, Marcella Ali. Keeper discovers a downed plane with a skeleton pilot hanging from a cockpit with a gun in his hands. So Keeper collects Chekhov's gun and.
Speaker 3: Quiet very Also, I love this moment because it is legit terrifying. There's like blood like things like liquid dripping on him. That the skeletal remains are way more skeletal and scary than we usually get because.
Speaker 1: We've seen a skeleton before in Jurassic Talk. But this is a horror moment.
Speaker 3: But you know what you see that Kiba's just a stone called sociopath because he just sees that gun and he's like, I'll take it, and that's the insurance for me. For Yeah, It's like, okay, I don't think it's gonna go well for you, babe, but you know what, take the gun.
Speaker 1: Take Chekhov's gun. He'll borrow it to you.
Speaker 2: So the Dagana family plus Xavier find a cave to hold up in. Keeper mentioned that on the ship that there was a community living on the island. They be able to take a phone call there, so he's like, don't even sweat it will be okay. And he told him about the helicopter. I think, are there's a plane. We got some options, like, don't worry about it, okay. So Ruben thanks Xavier for saving his daughter and exit a kind of strange and hilarious moment, just brushes it off. He's like, man, whatever, He's like, I don't even know why she wants to be with me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, I'm useless guy, but I love her, so I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: And he's not useless.
Speaker 3: He did a say he saved it once. He's on a scary Jurassic dinosaur island.
Speaker 1: He comes through.
Speaker 2: He listened and in peace times useless. At wartime, he's absolutely ready to go, and he offers to take the first watch so that Reuben can catch up on some sleep. So the next morning, family gets her track. Isabelle discovers a small orphan dinosaur, Dolores, and they quickly become friends, and she statues the creature in her backpack.
Speaker 1: She is so cute, I believe this is a new dinosaur.
Speaker 3: You haven't seen before called an aqua ops and this is our full prosthetic animatronic dinosaur.
Speaker 1: They made a real Dolores. They got to connect with her, and I believe I have not been there yet. I believe you can now meet meet Dolores at Universal Studio stream.
Speaker 3: So I love that because Dolores is very cute, and we love a cute.
Speaker 1: Sidekick like giving in the movies and the TV shows.
Speaker 3: With Camp Crustaceous, you've had Lumpy, So it's like, it's nice to bring.
Speaker 1: That to the main stream and the big seas.
Speaker 2: It's definitely giving. If you were a Barney kid a bj vibe, or if you like the dinosaurs the Baby of Very Baby, Yes, it's so cute. So Zora and crew reach an open field of overgrown grass so tall it can hide the largest dino. We're gonna get the titanosaurs when they're lying down. So the gentle plant eating dinosaurs are mostly not a threat safer their very long switchy tails, which could potentially do damage. Loumis is blow. I mean having a full on like emotion religious experience. Look at these creatures.
Speaker 1: This is the one moment that I think captures the thing.
Speaker 3: That otherwise this movie doesn't understand the importance of which is like the wonder and awe of a dinosaur. But Jonathan Bailey, and if you follow me on let a Box, you know, I'm already compt talking about this Oscar campaign that I will Solow be running for him. Yes, but he had in the forty X screening, right, So we're being jostled, our popcorns flying everywhere, there's kids, everyone's screaming.
Speaker 1: In this moment.
Speaker 3: Where they kind of slowly move you towards the dinosaur and he touches it and he starts to just tear up and cry. It was so beautiful that I was crying, The guy next to me was crying, The friend I was with was crying. You know. It was like it just really captured that feeling of what Jurassic Park is about, which is the beauty of nature and how scary it can be, but also like the awe we feel when we get to see creatures in the wild and the importance of nature.
Speaker 1: And he does he does manage to get the sample. Good for him. I feel like it's going pretty well for them at this point, Like this.
Speaker 3: Is actually quite a chill Jurassic experience so far. And then doctor Loomis is like, so what if if we didn't give it to the evil scientist, how about sexy skull Ansen. We just like you know, crowd open sourced it so anyone could have it. And she's like, oh, I don't think I would get any money in that case, but you can tell there's like a twinkle in.
Speaker 2: Her eye, like doctor Loomish, and she's a little bit moved by his emotional reaction to the dinosaurs, definitely, And then he tells the story of like you know, when they discovered insulin, you know that they were like, hey, everybody should have access to this, everyone should have access to this pharmacutical company's assholes. Yeah, she's like she's thinking about it. She's she's contemplating, you know, she needs the money, but she just like, maybe that would be the better thing to do. Okay, So the family a raft. They are out and they're like, oh, great, we can take the water. We'll follow there's they noticed some pipes. They're like, oh, look, water pipes. I bet we could follow this to the facility with the phone that'll be here.
Speaker 1: He's a very clever dad. I gotta say this is smart uh.
Speaker 2: But as our approach of the raft, oh no, here comes everyone's favorite dinosaur, a t reft and it is huge and it is close. Okay, this is the same you were talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta talk about this scene because we have Teresa and she's trying to get the boat and then she realizes the boat is actually unfinished, but she finds a life raft and we get this great moment where one the t rex is like sleeping like a cute cat who doesn't want to see that. I love that makes a lot of sense, very Godzilla codd if you saw the last Godzilla movie where Godzilla sleeping in the coliseum like he's a cute cat. We also know that the Minus one director was inspired by his cat for Godzilla, so I love that all these directors are bringing that to this and Gareth Edwards definitely is here. He we see the dinosaur sleeping, she's trying to pull the raft so that it will wake him up, and then she pops the raft open and it blows up and you expect the t rex to be behind her when it goes down, but it's gone and it's such a scary fake out moment. And then it leads to this is the sequence that I think if you are a Jurassic Park fan you love the books, this is one of the sequences that was never properly adapted from the books, and it.
Speaker 2: Is they couldn't get that original t Rex well okay, exactly he was.
Speaker 1: He was a real living animatronic.
Speaker 3: And also they did kind of half adapt it in Jurassic Park three with the Spinosaurus. But here David Kep gets to bring the scene he always wanted to to life, which is the t Rex swimming behind this little life raft. And I'm telling you, guys, Joel knows we've been to We've been to theme parks together. I am like so terrified of dinosaur animatronics, but you will, if you are my special friend and I love you, I will go on the Jurassic World ride with you. And I like cry the whole time because it's amazing, but I will also cry because it's scary. And this entire movie, I was like, man, these motherfuckers are gonna make the scariest ride with this movie, Like they're gonna be able to expand what the Jurassic World and Jurassic Park rides already are. It really feels like Universal is in a space now where they're creating rides like with Dark Universe that can kind of create new IP and they're also open to leaning into the IP that is so beloved, And this scene feels like Peak make a move like Orlando, Universal, You're getting an updated Jurassic Park ride after this one, because it is so so scary.
Speaker 2: Genuinely looking for like t Rex's giant head, the fact that at one point it's completely again submerged by water, where you're just like, wait, oh no, now we can't see it. Where is it? And then you know it's giving if you if you're a pig than of the original Jurassic Park when the t Rex attacks the car, you're seeing some similarities, right, So Yeah, the kid is stuck in the raft at one point by herself again another boat over.
Speaker 1: She gets flipped. The boats are getting flipped.
Speaker 3: This I thought was such a clever, scary visual that does a homage to that you know, original Colas sequence, but also adds something really new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's totally fresh, because like the thing is that everyone's still such close proximity. The rushing water adds such a terrifying element to it. And similar to that scene though, where you have a seemably impossible cliff suddenly emerge. Yeah, suddenly a wall that the t Rex cannot get passed, and you're like, oh, fully this makes sense. Now pause. If you've seen the original, it does make sense. It's an enclosure. There's a slight slope. They don't quite show it into the establishing shot, and so you miss it. But it does make sense. You can see uh, visuals of the set, so where you're like, oh, that's why there's a clip suddenly there here, it's a little less clear. In game, we don't really get an establishing shot of the wall to the d Rex, not just walk around.
Speaker 1: But I know, I like the idea that the t Rex is kind of like bored.
Speaker 3: He's just like okay, well I'm not gonna put that much yet, but and like I can just see a dinosaur like don't.
Speaker 2: Weary Cat comparison. It is like, yes, Isabella gets out from underneath the boat, is able to not really out swim, but sort of the current is pushing and she gets close enough and okay, she's through the wall and she's safe. Uh. T Rex follows her all the way up to the wall, and then it's like sticking. It's like snout through the wall, trying to like and at very much gave me cat under a door, would is Paul.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's that great moment too.
Speaker 3: N isfl is still underneath and the t Rex's teeth kind of through.
Speaker 1: The yellow but they don't fully hit it. It's really good. But guess what, the family's safe again. Love this for the family. It's going really well for them.
Speaker 3: Continuing that, I would say, like, you know, there's always generally kids in a Jurassic Park movie, and they don't tend to die, so I'm very I'm feeling very happy. As the eleven year old told me there's too much plot, Arma, and I said, no, babe, they're just kids. I was like they I was like, they're just kids. You can't kill a kid in a in like a kid's movie. It's not pla Arma, it's just a rule.
Speaker 2: Like this is just park and we are not trying to scar the children. Okay, so we're gonna take a quick break and when we come back, we're gonna talk about what happens when you try to draw blood from a dinosaur's egg. They're not happy about it. Okay, we're back. So our team makes it to the mountains where they're set to propel into the nest of a quasal as so many see.
Speaker 3: Es.
Speaker 2: You know what, let's go with it, that's what we're calling it. Okay, we're listening together, guys. This creature is as large as a bomber and it can fly. And so they're like, we are not going to try to shoot this thing as it's soaring through the air. Let's go get like the amtiotic fluid from one of its eggs instead. Okay, great, So they're repelling down h and this is kind of difficult for doctor Lumis, again not really an adventurer, though he gave us a lot climb out his gym exactly.
Speaker 1: He was like, I got like a twenty foot wool at my gym, and I'm like, babe, this is a five hundred foot.
Speaker 3: Draw into a dinosaur's nest. But you know what, I love it. You're brave, You're getting a little spicy with it, and I believe in you, Henry Limis. You are an adventurer to me.
Speaker 2: Yes. And it's a messy trek down, but he gets there. They're able to pull the fluid, but oh, here comes mom. She's retired and she is upset. Now luckily she's made her nest and like these human like.
Speaker 3: It's very interesting because it's kind of these human ruins, but the implication of the way they are built is that the humans worship these dinosaurs, like it seems like the nest was made for them almost.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting.
Speaker 3: One of the definite things where I'm like, I would love to know more about that.
Speaker 2: And we definitely made a ror dive because I couldn't tell if it was like, oh, the park had designed these spaces and they were planning to maybe use it one day and it was gonna be fun, or if like, oh, maybe there's like a dinosaurs have been here for a long time, maybe like the bones were in inspiration for like a faith or something. We don't really know, but think of the very like Indiana Jones kind of temple. So it's like yes, yes, And they're trying to escape the bird and it's dodging and weaving in between all of these like physical structures and they're able to sort of dodge it. Up top, Duncan is trying to distract the bird with one of his other crew members, and they do. They do. Unfortunately, that crew member successfully distracts the bird and then gains ends up eat. Oh and Loomis and Zora are trying to get the vial, but it's bouncing all over the nest and oh my god, it almost fell over the side. Loomis repels further down to get the vial, but the rope holding him up is dragging over the cliff side and so the ropes get a snap. Soora tries to pull him up, but he's determined, so the rope snaps. He does fall the quas Paps has eaten the crew member. The vile parachute safely to the ground, so all of these theatrics were not worth it. Luckily, Loomis's falls cushioned by like jungle foliage and he doesn't die or break a bone.
Speaker 1: Lucky impressive, impressive man, truly.
Speaker 2: So the family makes it to the island outpost a bit before the Parker gen X team does. Teresa explodes as Keeper approaches for leaving her to die. Keeper try, tired of having to pretend to be a decent human, whips out Chekhov's gun handcuffs of the blood samples to his wristworks are in a very thick kind of like metal case they've been carrying around absolutely, and he demands everyone get ready for the helicopter. But the International Genetics Technology inks mutations are heaviest year because oh no, this is the lab where we started the most Snicker's lab. It's not good. So the girls, Isabella and Teresa seek shelter in the convenience store. They are cornered by a raptor crossed with a dilophosaurus that's the asset spinning dinosaur created for the original.
Speaker 3: Kind of also some kind of like a bud bird like Italer possibly maybe the coach list, because it has these scary kind of I have to say, this was a dinosaur that in the trailers I thought kind of looked silly, but in the actual oh it's so good saying and context of the movie is really scary. They're essentially in like a seven eleven, and the wrapped a dell off a saurus dinosaur is kind of trying to hide, like trying to stalk them, so we get some good callbacks to the original kids in the first movie. But this is fun because you get to see Isabella like hiding in a fridge and she's like covering herself up so that it can only see its own reflection, and it's.
Speaker 2: Really giving, almost like the Last of Us grocery store scene.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, if the topic isn't two good, very scary, yeah, it's it's really tense.
Speaker 2: It'ess Actually, if he confits my brother to go see the movie. They released a trailer of just this scene a while ago, and he was like, a convenience store and dinosaurs. Okay, let's do it. Here's the midside about the action set, and it's a great set piece.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: So they're able to find it, find a great on the store floor that leads to like underground tunnels, and so they decide to hide in there. Unfortunately, one of these dinosaurs follows them down and is stocking them. So the coward Keeber hops in the car. He's like, I'm actually done with this. I'm gonna go try to find the helicopter. Zora had been trying to take shots on the car into the store to distract the dinosaurs, and she went to falling off. She's almost run over. Unfortunately, Keeper's got this giant metal case cuf to his wrist and it's actually more of an obstacle than a help.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this is really great because it's really funny when Zora is like under the car and Keba drives it off her and it's giving again Dennis Nedri. Now, I will say I'm calling out these because I love a homage and I love the original Jurassic Park movies. But I have seen some critiques in this movie that it's just redoing the first movie.
Speaker 1: I don't agree.
Speaker 3: I think this is a very different situation tone, even the setup and the way that they go into it. I think it's quite original.
Speaker 1: But there are fun nods here.
Speaker 3: Keba drives off like he's fucking Dennis Nedri running away, but instead of the Delophosaurus, this man ends up getting gobbled up by the terrifying directs, which we finally.
Speaker 1: See here and again is very divisive.
Speaker 2: So the family's in the bowels and they're being stalked. Scar Jo has survived, so doctor Zora goes down to try to help them. The family finds this like large gated thing is like it's like a gate. It's big metal bars. They're into concrete. So the opening to that is on the other side of the gate, and the only person tiny enough to get through is Isabella. So she's like, eh, and.
Speaker 1: She's a real one. She just does it.
Speaker 2: She is so confident. But oh no, now we're stuck behind the door and here comes d Rex again. She opens her family escapes. That means who else escapes d Rex? Okay? Now, doctor is that here? He sees the helicopter. It's here, it's shining and it's bright, and it's coming toward him, and he could not be happier. Thank god they saw the helicopter. The helicopter sees them, but no, de Rex is out and has actually captured the helicopter and the O cool perspective shot and again this movie is filled with him. The light is shining right into the lens, so you think the helicopter is just approaching. But then as the light turns away from the lens, you can see the helicopter in the jaws of the d Rex and it's careening toward our sweet baby doctor, mister Loomis. It's it's terrifying and really good action.
Speaker 3: Great moment, and yet obviously Kiba, he's not gonna survive now the d Rex is out. The d Rex eats him in a very gruesome moment we get to see him get yammed up, eats his head, he chops me, eats him in the air, and of course attaching the suitcase to his arm meant this was always gonna happen.
Speaker 1: The arm is left.
Speaker 2: Yet Samuel Jackson style and Jor just grabs that up and is like boom.
Speaker 1: But there's another hero in this.
Speaker 3: Moment, and I love this, which is this moment. Yeah, he's thinking of his son. Yeahs Sissy won't die in the jungle, but he doesn't want the kids to be scared, like be scared and not be able to get away. So he runs with a flat very alien coded and he's kind of luring the monster away into the jungle. Now I was ready to be very disappointed at this moment because they pissed.
Speaker 1: They do make you think that Mahershela Ali is.
Speaker 2: Dead, is losing her mind. On the side, we can't.
Speaker 3: Leave and they finally get to the boat, which I have to say, guys, the want my one critique of this movie. You ain't getting me in a fucking boat after all the boat stuff.
Speaker 1: Damn boats, I'll just die drowning.
Speaker 3: Not I am not going in a fucking boat with these dinosaurs. You were far away and you're still getting in by a dinosaur. Absolutely not yes, but they do go on a boat. They leave the d Rex behind, and what happens, shaw.
Speaker 2: A flair lights up into the air. Our sweet baby Duncan did not die in the jungle of him, thank god. So they wing back to get him. Luckily, he's floated pretty far away from the recent Even though we've already established that flares tend to draw dinosaurs attention, I get in this case, he's stupid. I guess let's fight with not worth it for this small little snack. So okay, uh. We sail off into sunset. But before we do, Zora looks to Loomis and she goes, hey, let's give this medication to everybody. Let's make everybody gets it.
Speaker 1: Getting that money from that dead guy anyway, so it's a good time.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the contract was written down a lot of little.
Speaker 1: Side I know it seems like it was very illegal. And you get your your final kind of homage.
Speaker 3: You get hair is as that driving away in the boat, you see dolphins come up beside them. By the way, I'll be freaking out to see those dolphins. I don't want to see it's beIN coming up. But it's a nice little.
Speaker 1: Nod to the buds.
Speaker 3: That we see at the end of the original Jurassic Park when they're heading out, and the kind of reminder of how buds were the know they are the descendants of dinosaurs, and I think the implication hair is kind of thinking about those what are dinosaurs and seeing doll face.
Speaker 2: It's also the final shot of the Jurassic Park is when they're looking out the window and you see the cracks cone. You're like, oh, okay, we're like back in to animals that we're familiar with and could hunt if we needed to.
Speaker 1: Oh. I love that poll. You you see the as they move away, you.
Speaker 3: See that place on the food chain change and you remember that now humans are the alphas in That's very interesting.
Speaker 1: I love that take.
Speaker 2: It's great. I okay, let's take one final break and when we come back, we'll give you, guys our our full thoughts on the film. Okay, we're back, So Rosie, rank this for me amongst the Jurassic Park films. How are we? How are we going? We have to put it in a specific place, but me just below the original I know all trilogy.
Speaker 1: I'm going for. I love the original trilogy. I love all of it.
Speaker 3: I think quality wise, this is like on a level with the later entries into the trilogy, which I do think are good. Like I would say this is kind of an in between a Jurassic Part two and three for the equality wise, I I do deeply enjoy the Jurassic World movies. We know that, but that is a subjective enjoyment. This is a better movie than those movies. YEA.
Speaker 1: Is a well made movie. It's a stripped down movie.
Speaker 3: It doesn't suffer from, you know, the very famous issue that the first movie suffered from, which is Bryson heels when she's in heels running away from a dinosaur. There's a lot more thought going into this, but I will say it is a lot more stripped down. They don't take the kind of crazy swings they were taking in that in Jurassic World, which I totally understand because those movies were not necessarily well received.
Speaker 1: I think this is a very rewatchable movie.
Speaker 3: I think Nathan Bailey and ma Herschel have come out of this as the stars of the movie.
Speaker 1: I think that we get some.
Speaker 3: Great dinosaur action I'm excited to see it again. I'm sad that this is not getting an Imax release because of the way that the release schedule kind of shook out. This was a movie that was rushed into production and kind of sped through because they had a great script. So I think it should have definitely got an Imax release. I would have loved to see that, But f one has all of Imax up until July eleventh with the old release of Superman.
Speaker 1: Ever heard of it? So yeah, I love this movie.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see it again. I'm excited to see how it influences kind of the other parts of Jurassic World Law that we get because this is very camp Cretaceous chaos theory coded with the dinosaurs that being experimented on. And I love those shows. If you haven't watched them, watch them. They add so much to the law. They're so fun to check out. And yeah, I just I mean, I was satisfied as a Jurassic Park fan. It didn't necessarily like give me that big hit of like dopamine I often get from these, because I do think it is a little bit more like plays, a little bit more safe, But I still just think it was a really enjoyable, fun movie, and I'll definitely be rewatching it again.
Speaker 1: What about you.
Speaker 2: I had so much fun. I have tickets to see it again. My parents are coming up this weekend, and so I was like, Dad, we're going to see Jurassic Park. I saw it in a small screen before, so I'm excited to see it on a slightly larger screen with a bigger audience this time around. I think, for me, this is so much better than the middle trilogy. We'll call it our Jurassic.
Speaker 1: Worlds because obviously gonna become a.
Speaker 2: New Yeah, it seems that when they're trying to kick off, and I think by choosing to do a genre outside of what they typically do, like I would see Jurassic Park is like a thriller, where this is more of a horror, and so it's it feels and plays similarly enough to the thriller of the original, while also making it feel like its own very specific horror. I thought the struck sure of It was really tight and fun and follow I love that we're getting back to nature because it's one as to see a dinosaur like walking around a modern day suburb. It does steal some of them like whimsy of it, like the magic you need, you need the crustaceous looking space in.
Speaker 1: Order that you need that, we had space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I think cass Wise, my god, Mergia'll he is a star of his generation and has not been given the opportunity to shine quite enough.
Speaker 3: I hope he gives him that opportunity and opens it up.
Speaker 1: He should be doing action. We know he can do drama. This is an Oscar winner.
Speaker 3: We know he should be in these spaces, leading these films. Let's get more of them.
Speaker 2: And we know he's been wisely very selective, like apparently a lot of the hindrance with Blade was like this script is not done, I won't move forward, which good for you, sir. And so it was exciting to see him get a showcase here. I hope that when the next movie comes up, we get a little bit more of him, because you know, we deserve. So yeah, that's a that's where we're at right now. I'm excited for the next one. I love this cast. That family was adorable. I think they did a great Gareth Edwards, like, really, he stomped this. He did a great job. So yeah, I'm looking forward to the next one. It was good. I'm glad we got to do this one together. This was fun. If you guys missed Jason on the recap, as I certainly did. Uh oh wait, it's going to come back for our roundtable to talk, so we'll get his takes shortly.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you want to hear more of us talking about Jurassic wealth and hear us tap in the super Producers and be joined, of course by our my wonderful co host, Jason caccepcion, keep your ears peeled because we will be doing that and before that though, on the next x Ray vision, we will be diving into news and stay tuned if you follow us on social media official at official XRB pod follow us now you may have seen that me and Joel are doing very fun stuff to do with Superman, so keep an eye out for our Superman coverage coming soon.
Speaker 1: We're going to tell you the road to Superman.
Speaker 3: We're going to tell you to comics that influence Superman, and of course are going to give you out of the reactions to James Gunns hopefully game changing Superman film.
Speaker 1: That's it. Thank you for listening, Thanks for joining me, you oul, Thanks her the.
Speaker 3: X Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Spcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast. Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 2: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.