Speaker 1: Warning today's episode con taste spoilers for the first terrifying chapter of uzer Markie on Adult Swim.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Rosie.
Speaker 3: Knight and I am Joel and welcome back to a spooky edition of Xtra Visi, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. We are here at Iart Podcasts where we're bringing you two episodes a week, every single week Tuesday and Thursday, and sometimes even get a special little extra.
Speaker 2: Episode Look at you, guys, So Lucky, So Lucky.
Speaker 3: In today's delightful and terrifying episode, we are digging into the previously on where from his fur Cobble is having a terrible time with the Megalopolis box office and super producer Aaron tags in to walk us through all the magic the gathering scandal that broke this weekend.
Speaker 2: In the airlock, we will be Uzi.
Speaker 3: Mackieing it up as the long awaited five years in the making anime adaptation of Jungi Itto hits Adult Swim dub or sub what do you Like?
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about it, but.
Speaker 3: First it's the previously on in the box office Francis for couple is one hundred and twenty million dollar investment in himself has crumbled four million this week.
Speaker 2: You can saw it coming? Who could ever have seen it coming?
Speaker 3: And The Wild Robot Lands at number one with thirty five million. That delightful book adapt that delightful film actually adapts a very very pot Pela Kids book series by Peter Brown.
Speaker 2: And I am seeing the reporting.
Speaker 3: Saying, oh, this is a surprise hit for dream Works. You know, people didn't know it was going to make this much money. I had a feeling it's like one hundred percent on Morong Tomorrow's the Books.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful animated film based off of a popular book series, and it appeals to children at all ages, which there's no competition really. Oh there's no big kids movie out right now. Those movies always at the very least make their box office back mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think my gut says this one could run till Christmas, so very interesting.
Speaker 4: That would be a very long run.
Speaker 2: I think it could do it.
Speaker 3: I think it's got the legs because it's a family based movie. It's about adoption, it's about found family, it's about AI. I think there's a lot there and it does look absolutely beautiful. I haven't seen it yet, but I have read the books.
Speaker 4: Cion Skate continuing to struggle with megal. Oh my gosh, they got into fifteen hundred screens, I think, which is a lot, especially considering there's a whole part that requires a performer, although I think do they say they wound up?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Out how the mind? I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 3: So this was one of the biggest conversations that we were all having in the lead up to this movie. When this movie debut at can it was revealed that there is a segment where Adam Driver talks to a member of the audience who gets up and asks him questions. I have heard very mixed reviews on it. Apparently there is a lot of lead in time, it can be quite awkward, and it's not clear whether the person is actually reading the lines or if it's pre recorded audio.
Speaker 2: So it's a lot.
Speaker 3: But I did find out that they are only doing that at certain screenings called ultimate editions, and it seems like they are at least hiring actors to go in and do those segments in the movie. Whereas my joke had been and it was very serious joke honestly that they will probably just pull up a kid from like a popcorn stand and make them do it, because I've worked in a cinema and they do make you do unnecessary stuff.
Speaker 2: But you know what, this is not worked out.
Speaker 3: The Ultimate Edition at the Imax has clearly not been drawing people in. I have seen many funny, hilarious tweets about it, though, which have been giving me life. Like I saw someone who said a perfect tonal amalgamation of my two favorite movies, Citizen Kane and Revenge of the Sith, and I just think any movie that can be described that way, I have to tell you I am gonna go and see it just because I love a disaster and this sounds like a disaster.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Usually on this podcast we always try and be positive, but the reporting that has come out about the way Francis for Coppola has treated extras on this set, I don't know that we necessarily have to keep our usually positive vibes. But some people I deeply respect have given it five stars on Letterboxed have felt like it's actually quite a great treatise on this kind of era we're in, of the creative versus the corporate but I will have to go and see it myself, and I'm sure we will report back to you. But yeah, not going well for old Francis Ford Coppola.
Speaker 2: In art going well right exactly.
Speaker 3: This is actually a huge win for the average man, the average man on the street, the average the average lady going about her business, the average They them attempting to just do a little shopping around, write a little comic. So Marvel and DC have long held a joint trademark for the word superhero. It's superhero has one word and superhero as two words. It's been very controversial for a very long time. My husband Nick, he loves to talk about it. You can go back for years on the internet, and he has been claiming that this is basically unprotectable because it is so generic at this point.
Speaker 2: And what happened, incredibly is that a man named s. J.
Speaker 3: Rich Hold, who owns a company called super Baby's Limited, which releases superhero baby comics. DC came after him and said, hey, you can't use super babies, which was a reach first of all, and they shouldn't have done it, but they did, and he tried to secure the super Baby's trademark in the US, DC was not having it, but Marvel and DC did not respond to the challenge by the deadline. Oh and so what happened is that the US Department of Trademark, like the US Office of Trademarks, they actually just released the trademark and we're like, fine, we're canceling the trademarks. So this is not like a Supreme Court like they can appeal it thing.
Speaker 2: It's been released. So this is a huge.
Speaker 3: Deal and it's gonna be very interesting to see what happens next because Marvel and DC like own it in capitals still and they also owned super Villain, which was a nineteen eighty five trademark as long as it has a.
Speaker 2: Dash in the middle. But this is huge. They have long been.
Speaker 3: Going after people who use the word superhero in titles. You can use it within a story, but you cannot like name your thing like Rosy and Joel's Superhero Adventure, Like they could come after us and say, just infringes on our trademark.
Speaker 4: Nobody thinks of superhero and there's exclusively like oh, that's Marvel or DC. And also, like I was seeing people were pulling up old comic book like newsletter spaces yep, and they were like, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Pre Superman exactly. Well, this is actually the most superhero So this is this.
Speaker 3: Is the most interesting thing is that the first place that they ever found superheroes was, as you said in the letters pages, I believe it was of of Science Fiction magazine. Nick is like desperate to get this issue where a guy basically wrote in and critically was like, you're not doing enough. Fancy, you're not doing enough, you know, genre stories. You're going into these kind of bobbleheaded, nonsense superhero stories. And that is like the first time it's in text. So it's not even something Marvel and DC came up with. It was something they trademarked after the fact, when fans had come up with this term like so much that Marvel and DC do the fans I've always been driving that conversation.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this was really funny. I actually should have recorded.
Speaker 3: I was joking with my friend Mark, who sent this over, who's a brilliant cartoonist, Mark Martinez, and he sent it to me and I said, oh my god, I should film Nick when I tell him this, But I didn't do it, Like I was joking, but Nick's face was literally I should have filmed it. He was like so happy. This was the best news for him. It is great news for indie comics creators everywhere. And I'm very interested to see what happens next because we know that Marvel and DC are very litigious, so the fact they didn't chase this down and kind of respond to the challenge in time is very interesting to me. So I'm intrigued to see what happens next. And that wasn't the only controversy that was occurring this weekend in fandom spaces. So I'm going to tap in on Magic the Gathering correspondent and super producer Aaron wang Kaufman to tell us about the latest Magic the Gathering scandal.
Speaker 5: Hello, Rosie and Joel, And speaking of this is I prepped this transition, so it's a little dated now. But speaking of super babies, let's let's get into the drama around Magic the Gathering this past week and then escalating into this weekend and Monday, September thirtieth. So, Magic the Gathering is a collectible card game for those of you who don't know. When you build a deck of forty to sixty cards and you play against each other and you cast spells and create creatures and it's a lot of fun. It's something many of us played when we were kids. Maybe my video is not on, but I have my magic cards on the bookshelf behind me at all times as like part of my video background. And there's a newer format, not particularly new. It actually started long time ago, but it's grown in popularity called Commander and Commander has become the main way people playing magic, and like people start playing magic with Commander, they're introduced to it through that, and it's really become the most popular thing. And there is the founding member. Sheldon Menery is the founding founding member of the Commander rules Committee who passed away not too long ago, and he was like an iconic person within the Magic and Commander space. Well, last Monday, Wizards of the Coast, who publishes Magic and does Dodgers and Dragons as well, they banned four cards from Commander, Dockside Extortionists, Jeweled Lotus, Manicrypt, and Nado Winged Wisdom and so these cards were all very high level cards, high power. So the reason they're getting rid of them is like it creates a less fun play environment if I have one of these overpowered cards and you don't, and I get started really quickly, like the game could be over within a few turns. Interesting, and it caused a ton of pushback because magic is is a game, but it also has a collectible aspect to it. And so some of these cards, most notably you know, like Man Crypt, Jeweled Lotus, These are very expensive cards, and as soon as they got banned, the price plummeted, and so people were pissed because they're like, I have like spent all this money buying these cards because they're a quote unquote investment, and now Wizards of the Cost comes in and bans them, and I've lost all this money. Whether or not you should be using Magic the gathering as an investment is a discussion for something else entirely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we live.
Speaker 3: In a speculative space with both comics and magic, and everyone knows how I feel about speculation. Bad, Yeah, Karon, Like, what is what is your read on this? Like your subjective read if you don't mind giving it.
Speaker 5: Well, so the story isn't done, Rosie. So they they banned these cards, and then the Rules Committee, which is a group of volunteers who are very prominent in the magic space who advise Wizards of the Coast on things to do. They were consulted on this, and it seems like pretty much universally the Rules Committee was like, you shouldn't do these bands, and Wizards of the Coast still did. Then Josh lee Qui, who is one of the most popular Commander content creators. He works for the Command Zone, it's a YouTube channel, he resigned from the Rules Committee last week. Rules Committee members were getting death threats and like in particular the female members, you know, in particular, getting really horrible notes and things sent to them. And so today Monday, September thirtieth, Wizards of the Coast announced that the entire Rules Committee is resigning and Wizards of the Coast will take everything in house. This is kind of a worst case scenario, I think as a magic player, because you have the basically you've just given everything back to the corporation. I mean, the corporation clearly was in charge anyways, but we had some people who were dedicated to the playing part of it and the social aspect who are advising them, and now they're just gone. Because the fandom was so horrible and we're making death threats towards people who didn't who didn't want this to happen in a really embarrassing way for things to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds terrible. And also this is like this seems kind of on brand right now for Wizards of the Coast because they had a similar kind of issue earlier this year, right where it was like they were.
Speaker 3: Trying to ban home brews or something, or they were trying to, like with Dungeon and Drags, they were trying to take ip that people had created in homebrews and said, if you create this homebrew, we own it.
Speaker 2: If you create.
Speaker 3: Anything within these spaces, we own it. That was a huge backlash to that, and they ended up having to go back on it.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like that kind of.
Speaker 3: Corporate over meddling is becoming an issue for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's been a good and bad to it. So part of it is Wizards of the Coast was purchased by Hasbro and so like big shareholder pressure now. And I remember as a kid when I first played Magic, I think it was like two or three sets came out a year, and now it feels like there's a new set every month of cards, and part of that is they have a really profitable set called Universes Beyond, which is a crossover with other things. So, yes, they had this Lord of the Ring set that was incredible and brought in so many new players.
Speaker 2: They also had.
Speaker 5: Fallout, Wow, they had Doctor Who, Assassin's they have there, there's a Marvel one coming potentially next year if not, you know. So there's a lot of space for these, you know, sort of crossovers to new audiences and new players of the game and new collectors too. But a lot of people are really upset with how quickly they're churning out stuff that maybe isn't getting enough play testing and enough thought ahead of time to be like this card was always going to be too broken. Why would you publish this? Why? Why you know, couldn't you see that this would make things unfair? So it is it's like the curse of more. We're getting too many cards. And Commander is in some ways like the most casual format because it started off with like, here are these cards that I'm never going to put in a competitive deck. I'm going to do this silly thing, like my deck is all people wearing hats, or my deck is you know, everyone has to be looking to the right on the Yeah, but these cards that are getting banned are ones that are like incredibly competitive and mm hmmm. Yeah, and it's it's been hard to figure out where that balance of like silly fun stuff lies with like more competitive, cutthroat cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Especially I think if there is a correlation between how competitive the card is and how expensive it is, that also introduces like a strange, you know, class system within the players who can afford a collectible card. But Aaron, thank you so much for tapping in and bnr MTG expert. I'm very excited to keep learning more about this because I'm guessing it doesn't sound like it's fully over.
Speaker 5: No, And and I can't wait to come on and talk about the Marvel set when that comes out. But until then, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: The Lord of the Ring set was really.
Speaker 5: Beautiful to see that, very very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I have some friends and that was their absolute favorite one, so love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Aaron, bye, and thanks.
Speaker 3: Coming up, me and Joel are stepping out of the airlock and talking Uza maki. But first, a message from our spirals, I mean sponsors.
Speaker 2: And we're back. And though you may be happy about that.
Speaker 3: You may regret that choice because we are going into the terrifying world of Junji Eto's Uza Maki. Joel had were you aware of uza Maki before you watched the adult Swim adaptation?
Speaker 4: Only in the way that I'm aware of that anime girl with the red eyes who has are like hands, hyderactis and kimono. In the other words, I've seen the images everywhere. I just do not know who that person is or this jokes they are involved with the Torley Eyes their beautiful art, so it's like a curtiory awareness. But when I heard this show was coming and I saw the fans getting excited, I said, now's my time to check in, and I'm really glad I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Uzamaki is probably junge Eto's like most well known work. Was originally published nineteen ninety eight to nineteen ninety nine serialized in what are very popular in Japan, which are like weekly comic book magazines. This was Shogar Kukuan's big comic Spirits, and it tells the story of a town that is under a spiral curse, where seeing spirals makes people go crazy, and it's a great example of what makes Gingi Eto so fantastic, which is this very striking, simplified line work with just the most absolutely nice Marrish concept that you would never have thought of. He's definitely one of the most original creators we have in comics, and the first episode of that adult Swim adaptation is absolutely fantastic. It is long awaited. This was announced in twenty nineteen and it has been a running conversation within anime and comic circles of like, will it ever come out? So the fact that it came out dropped on Saturday, the twenty eight of September, was just a huge deal. I think a lot of us didn't believe it was going to happen, and honestly, it is pretty stunning.
Speaker 2: So we're going to do a little speed.
Speaker 3: Recap and kind of react as we go. But just like the book, we begin in a fictional Japanese town called Kuruzuchu, where a woman named Kirie Gushima tells us that she is going to reveal all the strange things that happened in her town. Then we cut to these eerie ass credits to kind of hint at the spiral or curse to come. What was your feeling when you were watching the credits. It was definitely giving me the chills. I was immusst immediately.
Speaker 4: I love an animation that demands your attention, right and we sees the cross. There's so much good animation. The way this set up little spirals everywhere, then lures you in with like, first this cute little flower pet. You love a little flower curl. It's giving like children's drawing, so innocent and sweet. And then there's one and like that's just up in the upper right hand corner and you're like, well that's kind of queer. Oh that's doing there. And then there's another one to your left, and then there's a man screaming about spials and you're like, oh, I'm already one hundred percent sucked in. It feels like you're being spiraled in to the story because it's so subliminal and fun. I watched this three times, twice with the duve, once with the sub. I did like the sub a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say I agree, but I did think the dub was actually really good.
Speaker 2: And I don't think you lose anything by watching the dub.
Speaker 3: It if you want to watch it and you don't have time to eat SubTime which always make the time, but if you feel like you it's easier for you to listen in English. The dub is really good, more than serviceable, and still keeps the creepy vibes. So another cool thing I think that will draw horror fans to this, even if you're not an animation fan. The composer is the Hereditary composer Colin Stepson, and he does such a good job here creating this really terrifying soundtrack. I watched this with Nick and Oliver, the artist from Monster and Summer Camp. We're in Ohio at the moment.
Speaker 2: Oliver has a.
Speaker 3: Really beautiful old house and we were watching it in the old house at like one am in the morning, all of us together, and it was so so scary, even just the soundtrack and the opening. It's, like you said, it sets you up to know that we're gonna see something that is unsettling and it's gonna haunt you. And one of my favorite things about this story is it worms its way into your head and you start thinking, well, what if I saw the spiral? You know, this is a tiny thing and you're watching the show, so is it a ring esque curse that you could take on. It really gets into your imagination that way. And the story begins properly when we meet Kiri again and her friend Shuichi, who has kind of been a little bit out of the circle recently, hasn't been around, and he tells Kiri it's because his father has become obsessed with spirals.
Speaker 2: He draws them.
Speaker 3: He creates them at every opportunity, whether in miso soup where he spins his spoon to create.
Speaker 2: Them, spiral.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is spiral cakes, damn it, which I understand. They're my favorite part of the ramen. Too little.
Speaker 3: He wants the naruto, but he's drawing them around the family home, and Kiri sort of laughs us off and says, well, your dad's like an eccentric sure, and they and they carry on walking, but Shuichi assures her this is no joke, and we will soon see that the spiral curse has truly taken his father over in a delightfully, delightfully nasty way. Kiri goes to visit Shuichi and deliver some delicious naruto and meets his father, who claims, well, I don't need this food. I don't need the items because I can manifest the spirals for myself.
Speaker 2: And this is when we.
Speaker 3: First get some really good gungy Eto grotesquerie, which is what he's known for. He sticks out his tongue and it extends into this long, slimy thing and wraps round itself into a spiral, and Kiri is just absolutely horrified runs off.
Speaker 2: It's so gross.
Speaker 3: And I love this because up until this moment, you're like, well, this is kind of BOOKI, but this is when you really get into what Gunji is known for, which is this shocking imagery and these terrifying nightmares that he puts into your head. We then meet Azumi, who is a young girl with a very she's given like a sharp bob. She is delivering the looks like it's looking great, but her bangs, her very crisp bangs hide a tiny crescent scar on her head, and while she claims this is just, you know, a lot scar that she has, Shuichi is sure it's gonna become a spiral.
Speaker 2: And when the wing wind blows her.
Speaker 3: Bangs out of the place, he has proven right, and he kind of says he You've got to get out of town.
Speaker 2: Don't do this.
Speaker 3: But you know, he can see that the spiral is gonna overtake her, and he is sadly correct, as it has just overtaken his father. This is honestly where I would say, if you are listening to this and you're like, well, this sounds like not that scary, I could.
Speaker 2: I could probably do it.
Speaker 3: I will say beware going forward, because this is there's some really haunting stuff in here that at one am I was slightly regretting watching.
Speaker 4: I will say, this shows you into the chaos, like right, it gives very slice of life energy of like, okay, so clearly, if you've watched like a lot of nineteen fifties classic horrors, you're driving type horrors like they all sort of start this way, like wide shot of unassuming town, preevious music you've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Strange is happening, but you'll never guess what it is.
Speaker 4: And then it's like, okay, here are just two normal kids walking to it from school. They go to different schools. It's kind of like but their childhood friends. Also, she has this extremely hot friend at her regular school now at her high school, and everyboddyes, and she had like a little shape on her head don't know. That's you know, it's interesting. She's like all the boys have always loved me, and you're like, that's a little weird, but okay, and then you get the weird tongue moment. You're like, this is not right. This guy's obsessed with spirals. He won't leave anyone alone. He's like, I need the art pieces, bring me all the special equipment. I'm obsessed with spirals this part, and again, we just want to warn you fully. If it sounds okay, it's not okay. It's weird body horror people. We're used to seeing this stuff and it's not okay. It's bad.
Speaker 2: He gets a tub, yeah, a full tub.
Speaker 3: He gets a top delivered to his house and he's like, oh this, I need this tub and in.
Speaker 2: Circular that's normal.
Speaker 4: What happens next it's like a Japanese like circular tub. And then and then they just drop off the tub and you leave and you're like, okay, that's fine. And then the boy and his mother come home and they're like, hey.
Speaker 2: Where's dad, what's going on? This is strange.
Speaker 4: They swipes open the screen and they're like, I've never seen this tub before. This is new. Who would have put this here. This seems pretty heavy, Oh my job. And they open it and Dad has broken every bone in his body to physically transform him his physical body, himself into a spiral. He has wrapped up coiled in the bottom of a tub like a dried out warm on a summer day. It's not okay, it's really deeply.
Speaker 3: Very very very up saying. And I will say aboo. One of our other super producers had mentioned when he was kind of researching about Uzumaki and learning about it, that there are some there is a very hated Uzumaki early Zero's adaptation, and I think it's every adaptation that they have done of ginger Eto.
Speaker 2: It's very hard to put across the horror and the beauty of his art.
Speaker 3: And what is so fantastic about this animated adaptation, And there were other animated adaptations that people did not like. There was an anthology recently in the last few years. But what is so fantastic here is this looks like you are watching a ging Eto book come to life, and in this moment you really really see it, like this looks like the translation of what we see in the pages of those beautiful books which Viz are doing unbelievable remasters of and re releases of right now, and we see it on page and on the screen and it looks identical, and this is really one of those moments. So from here things go terrible. We see a spiral coming out of the sky after the dad's funeral, I see forms Yeah into his face in the sky with the tongue lolling out, and.
Speaker 2: It drives Sueechi's mother mad.
Speaker 3: Then Kirie actually sees the little spiral on a Zumi's head, and there's kind of this interesting theme here where Azumi represents something that Gingieto does often, which is stories about women who are so beautiful and they kind of drive men mad, or a lover who is unrequited and goes absolutely insane, and we see a lot of stories like that tone he is a story like that, and there is another one, love Sick, which he does and as shueet she becomes more aware of a Zumi's spiral, he won't fall in love with her, and that makes a Zumi want him because every other man has always kind of been lured by her beauty. We then see a new kid who gets he's late to school, he's very sweaty, he's very hot, he's looking like he's going to get bullied, and he does getting his clothes stripped off where we see the.
Speaker 2: Spiral in his back. This is a really great moment as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he also loves to do like a gross, sweaty, oily person. He has a lot of like creepy short stories about There's the one he does where there's a boy who lives in a barbecue restaurant and he just loves to drink the grease and then the grease.
Speaker 2: Becomes like a part of him. It's really gross. And I know.
Speaker 3: The best thing about Ginger Eato as well is if you're not aware of this, and you can go on the viz media Instagram, they have lots of good videos proving this. Ginchi Eto is like a really sweet uncle who just loves his cats and is like not a taller, scary person. So I feel like he's just getting all of the terrifying stuff out of him. But this is a great example of what he can do. He's putting on the page, he's leaving it all there, he's leaving it all on a track, nothing left, and then he can just sleep well at night. We then get another really really scary moment where she eats his mom is in the hospital, and she becomes terrified of the spirals and she realizes that the worlds on her fingerprints are spirals, so she cuts off her own fingerprints and toes so.
Speaker 4: That she does camera does not.
Speaker 2: Shy away scissors to flesh.
Speaker 4: I just I want to be very graphic here so you do not misjudge how horrified.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is truly, truly very scary stuff.
Speaker 3: And you know what else, I think that we haven't even mentioned yet, which is so funny it because it's so inherent as Ginger Eater fans. This is all black and white overything Ginger Eo does. He is a mangaka. His work is always in black and white. Occasionally there will be a beautiful painted panel or something at the beginning, but it's always black and white. And this adaptation is in black and white. It looks it's adapting his line style, his line weight, his very very iconic way of drawing women and their faces. But even with that said, when you see the black and you know what it represents on her fingers, as the blood it is this was the first moment I really had to turn away when I was watching it because I was so immersed that I could feel it, you know. And it's really scary when horror is something that you could just do to yourself, Like it's so tactile, it's so easy. Everyone has a pair of scissors. Very very horrifying. Yeah, what comes next is one of the coolest moments and also one of the moments that fans have been waiting to see.
Speaker 2: It's one of the cone So.
Speaker 3: You've probably seen many people getting tattooed on their bodies. And it's where we see a Zoomie and she goes to see Kiri and she says, Kirie, help me. I don't know what's happening. And she slides away her hair and we see that her entire face has kind of been consumed by a spiral.
Speaker 4: Well, you've just given her so much, can we a smidgeback? She it's one of the guys who has a crush on her. It's like, hey, can you.
Speaker 3: I support women's wrongs, okay, Joel, but give her women's full info, give them.
Speaker 4: To ego that this woman not fully okay, Like, yeah, this any.
Speaker 2: Wants she's a spiral cust.
Speaker 4: She gets a full warning of like, hey, that thing on your head is gonna become a spiral and you should absolutely leave town. And let me tell you this, not anyone could tell me to leave town. But if a sensible person who is experiencing trauma in their own life takes time out of their day to be like, yo, this town not good for you.
Speaker 2: Get out. I'm gonna be like, you know what, let.
Speaker 4: Me pack my things up and leave because I watch horror.
Speaker 3: Everyone should leave the town. Let's be real, why don't you leave the town is the biggest question that you will be yelling at this show.
Speaker 2: The whole time.
Speaker 4: He did, And so she's like, no, screw that, I'm gonna allure you to this spot. And then she confesses, Hey, my best friend's boyfriend friend for all of their youth, I've been in love with you because you don't like me. This is toxic. Please please be in love with me too. And he's like, yo, I'm not please back away, and she's like, no, you must, and then get swept to the side and oh no, her eyeball is being swallowed into her face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is such a cool moment. It's like, you see, this is one of.
Speaker 3: Those few moments where you're like, oh, because I love the real manga, so it's hard sometimes to be like, oh, what can the adaptation bring? But we get to see the eye rolling around the spiral in her face and being sucked inside, and it is truly, truly terrifying. And then rip to that woman. She actually gets sucked into her own spiral, and it's another unbelievable body horror moment where there's kind of this mutilation of her body as it gets sucked inside of this spiral.
Speaker 5: Folded like.
Speaker 3: She gets folded like paper planes, and boom, she's dead and we realize we are just at the beginning of our descent into the spiral. And that is the end of Uzamaki Episode one. There are going to be four episodes. They drop at midnight, which is primetime on Adult Swim if you've grown up on Adult Swim. They drop at midnight every Saturday night. So that's very exciting.
Speaker 2: Joel, So what was your response to this.
Speaker 3: Like, how do you feel about uza Maki Now you've watched it, will you go read the manga?
Speaker 2: Do you want to know more? Are you excited to see where this goes?
Speaker 4: I am beyond excited to see the rest of this series, which I think, just from an artistic standpoint, is going to become very important. And like the legacy of manga, it's legitimately so beautiful. And I really love the way, you know, artists across globally right now, especially in animation, I think, are really pushing the mounds of Like listen, animation is a style, and because it's the style, we can all bring our own, like uniquely, Like if you think about Pinocchio and what Del Toro has done with like a lot of that's artists, if you think about what Star Wars has done with a lot of it's projects, Like, we're really seeing some beautiful stuff being made, and to see a manga page turned into an anime in this way, I mean really just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous work. On top of that, we're in the month of Horror. This is kicking off our horror month, which we're really excited about here. I of course, the very first thing I did was called Carmen, and I was like, I have seen Zamaki and I have thoughts, and she was coming off of watching The Lighthouse, which was your recommendation, I love our triangle, so she was like.
Speaker 2: You, she would love it. I knew she would love, of course.
Speaker 4: Because it's so absurd and so fun. And she was saying that this cosmic horror genre is really having a moment, and she was really reminded of The Lighthouse when she came to watch Uzumaki, and I have been thinking about it, and I didn't know, like, this term cosmic horror is new to me. I was really intrigued by the idea. A lot of people were like, Oh, it's just love crafty and kind of but not really a lot of low crafting work follows into this genre. But it's it's like the fear of the unknown. Science context could be bad.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 4: We're exploring and learning all of these new things, and if we create something that's terrifying and horrible, and also on top of that nature itself, it's just scary. Have you been out there? Horrifying things happen and we don't even know what's all the way out there in space or under the water. It's terrifying. I love not knowing what the horror is at the end of a horror movie. Yes, is there anything scarier, and I think if that's it feels like that's what we're leaning into here. And that's my favorite when they don't answer what the monster scary thing is and you're like, I'm still scared and I need resolutions, like how.
Speaker 2: Does the spiral work? You're never gonna know that it's just a spiral.
Speaker 4: It's who's doing it? No, the God's angry?
Speaker 2: What's going on it? What's angry? Who else? Why did we do this?
Speaker 3: But I think you bring up a fantastic point. I also I love cosmic horror, but I do think that a lot of it is defined by Lovecraft, who was a terrible person. I feel happy to say that. Feel go and google it. He was a racist sucker. So I'm not a fan of Lovecraft, but I do love cosmic horror, and I love that we are in a space now where we are getting more cosmic horror that strays from Lovecraft, that is not an adaptation of Lovecraft. I definitely think Gingi Eto is a fantastic cosmic horror writer. He has a brilliant book called Remina that's a fantastic iteration of the genre. I personally currently at the moment, I am working on a cosmic horror comic that I'm hoping is going to get picked up. So yeah, very exciting times for cosmic horror. Also, I want to say it was so sad, calm and cannot be here right now. She is on a fun trip, so good for her. But she also pointed out that they did not joke around with this cast because that voice actor for Shuichi is Shinachiromiki, who is in Perfect Blue, who is in most of the Pokemon movies as James, and he's also Roy Mustang in Full Metal Alchemist. So this is just a schmorgasboard of anime impressiveness and I'm really excited. I hope you guys will give this a try. And if you do not like horror movies, I hope you have enjoyed our fun, spooky rendition of this and it doesn't give you nightmares.
Speaker 2: And on tomorrow's episode of.
Speaker 3: Xtra Vision, me and Jason are going to be diving into the Rings of Power season finale. Who speaking of horrifying, You're gonna see some horrifying things in that finale, guys, I'm sorry to say it. And episode three of Agatha all Along down Down Down, we Go Down the Witches.
Speaker 2: That's the episode. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 6: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Getsubsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our Executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Supervising producer is a Booze Afar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Laude. Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.