Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid Verbo. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day at the State. Is that woo woom? And and Tye, welcome back to the solid Purba boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrandt. Joining me is always over there and beautiful and sunny in almost springing, New York City. Dan Rubinstein, sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good, ty, I'm pretty good. I considered stopping at any number of places on my walk home from the office for a little snack, but I was just in LA for a very short time for a podcast conference, okay, and I ate a lot of food, So my discipline to stay the course was actually pretty admirable. Unlike Melt Talk, Mel.
Speaker 1: Tucker, We're going to get into the El Tucker news here momentarily Today's Q and A Show, or at least part one of a Q and A show, so it works in typical fashion here on the Soliverbal. We like to do more of the Q and A Style show in the offseason because there isn't as much news to talk about. Mel Tucker ain't walking out that door every week, after all, So we got to fill the time with useful college football intel and knowledge and questions from the verballerhood at large. So what you did is went out on Twitter. You went out on all of our social channels. We got other email questions that came in to Soliverbal at gmail dot com, compiled those in a big old Google doc, and we're going to read through a bunch of football questions here in just a little bit. The other tidbit that I'll throw out there, and I started advertising this a little bit on Twitter earlier today at Soliverbal if you don't already follow us. But as we said, Dan and I are in the very early stages now of planning out what our live show menu is going to look like for the month of August, when we typically do fantasy things and maybe we'll throw other things in there, who knows. But we put together a survey which I linked up on our Twitter sphere. I'm gonna link it up on our website. If you go to solid verbal dot com slash live, you can get to our survey and just let us know if you're gonna be around in August if any of these cities or locations appeal to you, you might want to come out and see us. That'll help us put together what our game plan is going to become August. But it is something we're starting to think about, even though it's February. Obviously it's better to do that earlier and get people in the know than later. Kind of at the last second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it were up to me, we would just be doing a tour of small towns just north of San Francisco and have a nice little summer wine tour.
Speaker 1: Little wine. You don't even like wine.
Speaker 2: I don't even like wine, but I like that area. Ty, Yeah, I like trees, I like grapes, I like sunshine. There's a million places that I think we would have a terrific time doing a live show and could not be happier about doing that. All we really know is that somehow, someway we are going to include the Navarro cheer team. Of course, Oh my gosh, my people, All right, absolute people, Okay, sorry, yeah, boom.
Speaker 1: Boom boom boom. You mentioned mel Tucker at the top. Melt Tucker has reversed course, So Meltucker head football coach, formerly head football coach at Colorado. He initially turned down Michigan State, he reversed course. He has now accepted the job at Sparta. Do you like this move?
Speaker 2: I think it'd be hard to form an opinion about mel Tucker after one season going five and seven, inheriting a not amazing roster, but still your guys Stevie Montes and Leaves Chanalt are quality players that you know. Chanalt was hurt but didn't have the talent to really turn the defense around. Excuse me, y'ar one his specialty. So I don't know how any Michigan State fan, how anybody can think like yes, home run when they're just Jerry's out, Like, we just have no idea because we have to have a bigger sample size from him. The headline here, as you know, we talk about it like six days after it happened because that's our recording schedule, is that he was only at Colorado for a year and he got basically his salary doubled, His assistant pool was significantly increased, which is very very important by a Michigan State program which makes a lot more money from the Big ten and their TV deals plural than the PAC twelve does. And Colorado is not a program that has been in the money these this past decade fifteen years, things have improved. I think they've built new facilities, but certainly from a monetary standpoint, Colorado is not as big a program and doesn't have as big a wallet as Michigan State does by you know, their circumstance. So I think the higher is fine. I think his background, his experience, both you know, in the SEC and the NFL. I think people respond well to him as a coach. It appears he's been able to recruit and his short time in Boulder pretty well, so I imagine he will do a pretty good job given his background both in the Midwest and South, attracting talent to Michigan State. It's a tough job to me, so I think it's fine slash tbd.
Speaker 1: Here is my overarching question about this though. How good of a job is that Michigan State job. I know it's something we've discussed here on the show, right, and I think we like Boulder, Colorado as a college football or just college destination. I just get a human destination to make human destination. Sure, it's a good place. It's in a conference that is certainly at a little bit more wide open than the Big ten East. I think that much is assumed, right, So how much of a better job? Obviously the money's better, But outside of the money, is it truly a better college football spot than in Boulder? So what defines that to you?
Speaker 2: How if you are going to list items bullet points say this is what makes a good job to me, it's administrative support, money, proximity to recruits, maybe, path to maximizing success based on division, based on conference, How strong is the school's quote brand regionally, nationally, internationally, whatever. And for Michigan State, it's tricky. I think if it starts with administrative support, there's a lot of the word interim right now at Michigan State. It's not a strong time for the Michigan State brand. Not the fault of regional recruits in the Midwest or coaches that Mel Tucker, not a fault of a lot of people who were in that Michigan State program during some up and down years under Mark d Antonio.
Speaker 1: But it's rough.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a lot of confidence on the board of trustees and the athletic director in the athletic department right now. So that to me is in flux, which is never great because if you look at schools that generally succeed consistently, there seems to be a good backbone of continuity there. Right, No, you've had what Notre Dame is at the same AD forever, Oregon has had, I mean the same AD forever. These are the schools we're most familiar with. Penn State had to deal with a lot of flux, but things have calmed down some, right, Yeah, So looking at schools, especially in the Big Ten, Wisconsin has a lot of continuity. Michigan has had some changes. Ohio State has had some changes, but Jean Smith has been at Ohio State for a long time and so there's experience there running things. Michigan State's different, and Michigan State has had a lot of success in the last decade. One could point out that Michigan State's absolute height twenty thirteen to twenty fifteen, like we've talked about before, came at a time that perhaps Michigan and Ohio State, they're chief rivals in the division, we're not operating at full capacity. But one could also point out that Penn State and Michigan today are not unbeatable, So it can be a very good job. This is a Rose Bowl job if the circumstances are correct, But a lot of good jobs are the same way that you just need things to break correctly. So I think it's tough, but I think Michigan State has a much higher ability, a higher ceiling than a lot of teams in this country.
Speaker 1: The downside from Michigan State, whenever somebody steps aside in February or just at a really weird juncture in the season, if you want to get a decent name, you sort of got to pay the piper, yeah, premium, And that meant good news from mel Tucker on that side of things. Otherwise, I'm ambivalent on this. It's good news for them that they're able to go out and get a guy in mel Tucker who's been highly thought of for a while and someone who you would think could continue building that winning tradition, certainly on the defensive side of the ball, where he's always been very good. That's all very good news, but like five and seven first year, you're paying that guy five and a half million dollars, it seems like maybe they overbid on a guy that you know they didn't have to overbid for well, they had the cash.
Speaker 2: They have the cash to pay that much money to a coach. I mean, Scott Frost is making a ton of money, and at least I guess he accomplished more as a head coach than Mel Tucker did. Going in Jeff Brohm, I don't know how. I mean, he had a huge win for Purdue over Ohio State, and I had to have the leverage with Louisville coming after him.
Speaker 1: But there are what.
Speaker 2: Looked to be not crazy impressive coaches in the Big Ten making at least right now to me, impressive money. The other interesting thing is this people treated this as more dirt on the PAC twelve casket, and I'm sort of confused by that.
Speaker 1: Somewhat.
Speaker 2: I know the PAC twelve is lagged behind another TV deal isn't good, But I've just never understood why people look like people look at the PAC twelve as like, yeah, they're a Power five conference. They should be right in the neighborhood is of how much money the Big Ten and SEC are making when PAC twelve football as a whole, as a full product has never been as popular as conferences that have these enormous enormous properties when the PAC twelve has like one point eight of them.
Speaker 1: So does a move like this and I promise we'll move on after this? Yeah, maybe two point six. Does a move like this worry you then about, like, let's say, the overall health of Power five football or college football as a whole, Given that there is this gulf between different revenue models from conference to conference.
Speaker 2: I guess I think you need smarter people at athletic departments making better decision as to who you hire. I mean, it can be weathered in the Big ten and SEC. If you know, Mississippi State hires Joe Morhead and it doesn't work out after a couple of years, they don't hesitate to pay his buyout, to move on to pay Mike Leach whatever it is, five million dollars, And that's certainly a very nice luxury to have. But in the Big twelve, which has you know, come under some some troubling times having to go back to ten teams, the TV deal isn't where the Big ten and the SEC are and the PAC twelve, and to I guess a lesser extent.
Speaker 1: The ACC.
Speaker 2: You got to make better decisions. It's not Larry Scott's fault that you know, Oregon State and Gary Anderson didn't work out.
Speaker 1: I tweeted that out.
Speaker 2: It's not, you know, Larry Scott's fault that you know, Kevin Sublan has been pretty bad in terms of a hire for Arizona thus far, and it hasn't been wasn't as you know, whatever is John Embry, Mike McIntyre and ever the up and down of his career there. That's not on the conference. It's just these schools needs to do a better job of finding perhaps up and comers, perhaps better deals at head coach, and figure out how to get creative in terms of raising money. And that's it's certainly tougher. But I'm not sure I ever understood why they everybody needs to just automatically be on an equal playing field.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that that I don't. I don't reckon that that's what college football has happened.
Speaker 1: I don't reckon. I don't reckon. All Right, the other tidbit here that I think we should probably mention. Yeah, so the Big Ten pitched it, the ACC agreed a one time transfer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NCAA is now looking into it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without penalty. It's under consideration for the twenty twenty slash twenty twenty one school year. To provide some important context here, the only sports for which you must sit out a year if you transfer or college football, both men's and women's basketball, also baseball, also hockey. Right, if you add this rule one time transfer without penalty. My guess is we're going to see a lot of interesting takes out there as whether or not this is good, it's bad. They are winners, there are losers.
Speaker 2: They're already out there. The takes are out there. Oh, the takes trips alongside his weird hot dog sandwich thing is out there.
Speaker 1: So what do you think? I'll tell you where I stand here. Please. I think this is a really good thing, okay, And I understand the counter argument here is that it perhaps devalues a commitment, and why commit if you can just leave. I'm sure we're gonna see plenty of you know, the kids these days style arguments against this. But the truth of the matter is, and we've been beating this drune for years on this show. Programs coaches have so much leverage over these kids. Yeah, you know, I don't mean to demean the value of a scholarship. Certainly, that's something that holds a lot of value. Sure, but programs have so much damn leverage over these kids. And we saw with mel Tucker. Look, I mean mel Tucker, I'm sure didn't do it with any malice in his heart, but mel Tucker got a godfather offer to go to a different school, He got five and a half million dollars. And now the kids that's signed to play under Meltucker that he's not going to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is not this is not the first time we saw Todd Graham, we saw Willie Tagger.
Speaker 1: Happens, all happens every single year. So I don't know if this balances truly balances out that situation, but I do think it gives kids a little bit more leeway here. I like the move, I really do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think offering freedom is a good thing. And I know people are going to say, well, like, this is free agency for college football. It's my opinion that kids don't want to transfer. Kids want to be happy with where they end up. Kids want to be somewhere where they're perhaps dating somebody, perhaps they like their classes. If that, if academics are a part of their life in a major way. They like their coaches. They're committing to a school because, you know, potentially their coaches there and stays there. They're committing to a school because maybe they like the college town, maybe they like the campus, maybe they like the food, maybe they like the facility. They want to succeed in the place they commit to, And I can't imagine like people are freaking out because they think it's free agency and like, wow, it doesn't work out here, They're just going to go over there, Okay. You want people to want to be where you are. I think that's an understanding. Whether it's in an office setting, whether it's in a family setting, you want people to want to be there. And if you have all sorts of people who are not happy with their role, who've been sitting for two three years, or who get somewhere and be like, yeah, this was definitely a wrong decision. I'm trying to see this through, but I am unhappy. You want your locker room to be filled with happy people. That's why a team like Clemson has succeeded to the degree that they've succeeded because people, coaches, players, support staff want to work for Dabo Sweeney at Clemson, and so it actually puts a lot more pressure on people running programs and running athletic departments to build a culture that people want to be a part of. And you cannot hire d holes. Tie you can't hire d holes as much, and that's a big win.
Speaker 1: You know. I mean, so much of the problem with college football is the fact that it's college football, that it's not club football. That we've tied in the academics with the sport. I think that's the root of much of the evil that we see in college football. And somebody once told me that, without exception, any player who plays at the D one level, certainly the D one Power five level, without exception, all of those kids think they're going to the NFL. Of course, perhaps that's the cynical way to look at college football, but that I believe is the reality that we are living in. Academics can still be important to many kids, it still is and will always be, but football, if you're playing at this level, definitely takes on a greater significance to I think deny an option for kids who are very clearly heavily invested in their football future, maybe to go elsewhere and play to pursue that dream I just think is wrong.
Speaker 2: It also takes power away from the NC double A who's been having to decide on waiver appeals. Well, let's see there it is, and that's power away, which is nice. You're speaking to my stick it to the man's side. Yeah, you take power away from a governing body that if you listen to Kirk Farence, the sport has probably grown too large for the NC double A to sort of figure out which rules too and to kind of enforce. And that that all rings true to me. You're also strengthening It probably strengthens G five teams because a lot of times the power five player will want to transfer to a G five school but may want to play immediately, or may only have a year of eligibility left and hasn't graduated and goes to the FCS level to avoid sitting out for a year. So you're strengthening G five And I understand you could have situations like Derek King. You know it's not working out for him at Houston, and he's obviously proven himself to be a level quarterback. Why not go up a slight level? All the Houston's had a ton of success playing the ACC play at Miami. Generally speaking, teams that are very, very successful are not doing so because G five quarterbacks have gone to a Power five team. Generally, it's because Power five teams build cultures that really strong quarterbacks want to be a part of, and they develop and become a really strong quarterback or player there.
Speaker 1: So maybe the.
Speaker 2: FCS level is hurt a little bit by not getting a G five or a Power five transfer, be it at quarterback or any other position. But I don't think it's going to be as pronounced as the the alarmists may think.
Speaker 1: All right, enough on the news front, Okay, we got a bunch of really smart, really fun questions here from our college football loving for ballers. Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail, You've got mail. On the solid verbal let's start here at the very top. From Brian, he wants to know how does Baylor's improved defense adapt to the Dave Aranda system. So Dave Randa, highly paid defensive coordinator for the LSU Tigers, they win a national championship. Matt Rule Leeves Goes gets a godfather offer from the Carolina Panthers. Well, and behold, Dave Randa's your new head football coach in Waco, Dan Now, Dave Randa comes from really good defensive stock. He's run a great defense. Is defensive stock. He is defensive stock. He kind of sounds like Batman when he talks right, He's got that prodelly deep voice. But defensively, defensively, what are you feeling here? So Phil Snow ran like an adaptable three three five. He rotated in a number of players, which is good news for the Bears because I think they lose nine starters those most of if not all, of their linebackers. Their secondary is going to look pretty different. But a lot of the guys who are stepping in should be familiar or with playing high level college football on a high level defense. David Randa's defense succeeded. I saw this from our Daily Bears, a really cool community that David Randa's defenses have succeeded in year one. Every you know, Utah State, Wisconsin, LSU, They've made jumps. So I imagine Baylor is going to be in a pretty good position. I don't know if it's where they were last year. A lot of upperclassmen, a lot of guys with a ton of experience. The Baylor offense to me under Larry Fedora is probably the bigger question. The line is okay, but pretty new, and they should not be as explosive as they were at times. This was not a crazy explosive offense last year, but it's going to be new look on both sides, and I think there's gonna be an adjustment period. The good news for the defense is, I mean, are there a lot of scary experienced quarterbacks in the Big Twelve? My sources say no, no, not really. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean there's Sam Ellinger, and we assume Spencer Ratler, whoever starts at Oklahoma should succeed. But otherwise across the conference, you know, Spencer Sanders had moments, but he's not where Oklahoma State quarterbacks have been, Kansas State, TCU, West Virginias. A lot of questions on offense. So it's a good year I think to work in a new defensive scheme for Baylor.
Speaker 1: On the topic of Baylor, we have a question here from Adam and it might not even be David Randas three four, by the way, correct on Roberts is the new coordinator. It might be his defense. We'll say correct, and that's where I'm going next year? So Adam writes in and he says he graduated from Baylor More Baylor in two thousand and one. He was before Matt Rule. He had never seen a Baylor coach leave under good circumstances. And he knows what the talking points are when a coach gets fired for losing or for some crazy other reason. But his question is what are the talking points when it doesn't end on bad terms? What are the preseason talking points now? For Baylor, given the fact that they had a great season a year ago. Matt Rule leaves what they bring in an excited guy in a Dave Aranda. This is a really good question. I had never really considered this. I would lean on the fact that I think the talking points will center around the fact that, first off, Dave Randa's first time head coach. But Dave randa brings in a I believe proven commodity at least on the offensive side of the ball. And Larry Fedora, who knows that a coach offense should hopefully improve their output on the offensive side. Excuse me, and you mentioned Ron Roberts. Ron Roberts was a mentor for Dave Oranda. He taught him a lot of what he knows. So I would hope that if you like the Dave Randa defense that you've seen over the years, what you're going to see now out of Ron Roberts, Even if there is a new cast on the defensive side of the ball for Baylor, you should expect more of the same moving forward. I think you know what you are getting, or at least we have a really good sense of what we are getting for Baylor the foreseeable future, just given the coaching staff that Randa has assembled here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I expect year one reduce sodium Baylor. That's all reduce sodium Baylor. I like reduce sodium Baylor. Nathan wants to know, Yes, will Wisconsin win a national tighter title or tighter under Paul christ.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Next question shares Wisconsin's really good and fun at football. They need a game changing quarterback and I don't think they've had one since Russell Wilson. And that was not an accident, but that was a happy occurrence to receive somebody as talented did Russell Wilson. I just the talent isn't necessarily there. There's certainly a tier below recruiting wise, and bringing in blue chips to absolutely compete and win a Big Ten championship over presumably Ohio State and then win two games against teams like Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, that kind of thing. So no, I think probably not, but I'll never say never. I'll say there's a one point six percent chance.
Speaker 1: I am not rooting against their chances. But no, I tend to agree with you.
Speaker 2: No, nicelys that just came into Madison as well. Jack wants to know who should Colorado hire and by the time, do you want to just react to every potential hire we see happening?
Speaker 1: Well, we joked around on the mysterious g Chat earlier today that they were going to announce Brett Bielma at six oh eight pm Eastern time, shortly after we hit the stop button, because like all big announcements in college football, it always happens immediately after we hit the stop button on a podcast, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not a college football podcast unless you complain about the timing of coaching news.
Speaker 1: So who are who are the likely candidates here? Brett Beielma's one.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Troy Calhoun and Brett Bielima. There was a report from football Scoop. I saw today as we record this Wednesday, the what's the nineteenth? Yeah, that an announcement could come as early as tomorrow, so shift time with us. But I think both of those hires. What's the opposite of hot and bothered? Cold and comfortable?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't both. I don't know those either of those options, do you?
Speaker 2: I like the literal option that Troy Calhoun and what that offense looks like at its best. But I would just go get Ken Neo modalolo engage his interest. Maybe he wasn't interested in Colorado, but I would. I would go for the dude doing this option thing. Man, I can't what I can't get into it. Colorado is a job that if you take Colorado to nine wins, you're probably gonna leave unless you went there or are a West Coast guy, and that's where you want to coach in the Pac twelve. If Brett Bilma goes to Boulder and goes nine to three, he's just gonna leave and we're back here.
Speaker 1: Who wants to Bilma? Though?
Speaker 2: I mean he had a he had a nice year at Arkansas singular singular, and a really nice run at Wisconsin. Now, he's been in the NFL. Arkansas is a tough place to win, and he had a singular good year. Troy Calhoun doesn't really do it for me. It's hard to know exactly what he'll run. Ken Neo Moodalolo talked about adjusting his offense when he was under consideration for the Arizona job, and you know, perhaps it's it's a different style offense than what he's done in previous years, but the air Force defense is these past like it. Basically his entire era have not been good. And I understand it's tough to build a good defense when that's what your offense runs. But that's that's tough. I would trust ken Ney Madololo more. That's all that's that to me, is is better. I know Eric Bienemy's name came around. He was the offensive coordinator there like a twenty eleven, twenty twelve all time bad Colorado offenses. I don't think that's on him. Has succeeded with the Chiefs. I think he can do better than Colorado.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Again, we love Boulder and we like Colorado football being good.
Speaker 1: I'm mixed on the Brett bielm The thing I don't think that culturally he is a good fit. But I am interested stylistically in what a version of his old offense could do in the Pact. Now, if he could rebuild essentially, uh, what he had at Wisconsin with a beast offensive line, in a really solid running game, and just like a really good game manager at quarterback, you could go places in the You could win nine games in the Pac twelve with that pretty easily.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's because he was at Colorado State, but Jim mckaway just looks like a Colorado coach. He just looks as like, Yeah, that dude runs out with a buffalo.
Speaker 1: I get it. Did I see that they were considering Jim Mora?
Speaker 2: Of course, anyway's post job, Jim Mora's name comes up, great age retreads. Good lord, Okay, I don't. I mean Darren Shiverini. Shiverini, who's been there for a few years assistant, right, I know he's been under consideration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a. It's a. It's another tough job. Next question, Next question, Dan, let's go to let's go to left coast. Kane. Oh, I'm ready. Did the Miami Hurricanes win the off season? Okay, this is a loaded question. Headed into spring ball, they went six and seven. They landed a new offensive coordinator and Rhet Lashley, the top two players in the transfer portal. They hired Ed Reid. They finished with the number thirteen recruiting class and six under armour all Americans. Wow. So I was under the impression that they sort of won the off season last year when they got Manny Diaz. We did a whole thing on how you know, Yeah, he's bringing the swagger back to Miami. That did not work out according to the plane here. But now we're back. We're another bite at the apple. Dan, Did they win this offseason?
Speaker 2: I mean I've always I've long said, Miami and USC our sister schools in USC man those recruiting classes, the assistant hires, the transfers.
Speaker 1: All every is htt Lashley good. Yeah, that's a question. Is he is he? Actually?
Speaker 2: So his offense is whether or not he's called the plays. I don't know if he's been like the architect because it's been with Gus Melzan and most recently Sunny Dykes at SMU. His offenses have succeeded with other people building those offenses, and so Auburn's offense seemed to get worse the more he was empowered.
Speaker 1: I wasn't in the room.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, but that's what it seems that, you know, the Nick Marshall offenses were really fun, and then when they went into the post Nick Marshall world where at Lashley seemed to have more responsibility and what they weren't as good.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know about that. And the transfer portal thing. The Eric King certainly promising Quincy Roche. I think his name is from Temple the edge rusher really strong for Temple ed Reid. If he can play safety, he's able to play. I don't know exactly. I think he's what the head of personnel, chief of staff, something like that. So hopefully that's a good influence on people caring at Miami. It's just what does the offense look like?
Speaker 1: That's all it is.
Speaker 2: And so winning the off season, I don't know. I like what Oregon's done personally, hiring Joe Morehead, recruiting well, keeping Mariho crist of all, all of those things have been positive for me. There's a number of teams who've had decent enough off seasons. Tennessee finishing with a really nice recruiting class and finishing their year. I think the momentum is nice for Tennessee. Sure, I think winning the off season is an important thing if you're Miami. So yes, I will say yes, sure.
Speaker 1: I mean I like the fact that Manny Diaz is pulling out the stops here and seemingly trying to build a better program, trying to make an immediate impact. But I would hope so, yeah, you know, I mean there's reason for optimism. But I was very optimistic going into this last season and that did not work out at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Derek King behind that same offensive line won't be amazing. Coda writes in when will be the next time?
Speaker 1: So get out your crystal ball here, Dan, Yeah, the next time a team west of the Mississippi wins a national title? And who will it be? Wow, I'm gonna try to translate this.
Speaker 2: When will a team west of the Mississippi win a national title?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: How we would edit that? And who is going to be that team? I think the easiest answers would be And I had to look up exactly the border of the Mississi too, actually, So if you are back and forth about Minnesota, they count Minneapolis is West believe if my research is correct, so Iowa, if that's a team that you're considering Nebraska, who will it be? I think the earliest is probably twenty twenty one would be the earliest. And I would have it as probably Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma. And I would say Oregon or Washington because I think the aths are easier for them if the PAC twelve remains somewhat down at the top, Okay, see what happens with Washington quarterback. But I'm pretty confident Washington can build a borderline championship defense.
Speaker 1: Se I'm not feeling you on the Washington vibe. Oh, I love hyping up Washington. I know, I know you do it every year. I look, Jimmy Lake could work out. There's a lot of reason to believe that Jimmy Lake will work out. I'm always skeptical on new coaches. You don't care if I watched John Donovan offenses. I have watched Joses thank you. Oh, I'm sorry. Implosive implosive implosive. Yeah, yeah, sorry, So forgive me if I'm a little bit skeptical. I share your optimism on Oregon. I've got Oregon in my contenders list as well, because recruiting has been strong. Yeah, Mario Chris Ball has played a much more physical brand I think of football, especially on the defensive side of the football. Bring that sec mentality, bringing that sec mentality to the Pacific Northwest. So more to come on that front. Say the least, I like Oregon, I like Oklahoma or Oklahoma kind of goes without saying they've been not I almost want to disqualify Oklahoma. Well, they're in here. This is the question. I've seen them in the playoff.
Speaker 2: I have not seen the current iteration of Oregon against We'll see them against Ohio State early next year. I've not seen them on that stage. So I cannot say with certainty that there is a good chance they're going to get blown out with Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: You can, you can, you can't. I let me throw Texas A and m out there. A coach that's been there before. That's just such a tough path though, it's a very tough path, but it's a coach that's been there before in Jimbo Fisher. It's a recruiting situation that's been very strong in the last two years, especially this year, very very good. He's building depth. He's also got a lot coming back from season. So it's a good situation in college station. I don't know how soon it is, and I know Alabama is still recruiting and still playing at a very very high level. But what the post to Alabama looks like remains somewhat to be seen.
Speaker 2: I have a guest, I think they're gonna look like Alabama.
Speaker 1: They're gonna look incredible, I'm sure, but there is some turnover there that maybe they can take advantage of. The SEC West is baller. Obviously, LSU just won a national championship. That's a pretty good situation as well. LC is going to take a minute to get back to where they were, though I believe that's accurate. So A and M is interesting to me. The two programs that aren't on either of our lists are Texas and USC.
Speaker 2: I would put Texas ahead of Texas A and M. I would put Texas A and M ahead of Texas if they were still in the Big twelve. It's a path thing to me, and as open as the SEC West appears to be. With a new full time starting quarterback for Alabama and some consistency issues in retaining assistance, Alabama is still crazy talented. LSU should field still really good sides the ball, offense and defense should still be interesting enough. The Mississippi schools are not national title contenders. Auburn is a perennial, dangerous at times team. The path is just more difficult and I cannot right now. I mean, this year will have Kellen Mond and I just moving forward. There's nothing that tells me texts A and M can come over like two humps right now, whereas with Texas it looks like it's only one hump.
Speaker 1: What if right now? What if Nick Saban retires in two years. Sure, we've been saying that since twenty fifteen he may be indestructible, but if and when he retires, that could upset the balance of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's gonna be a long time for USC. It was a long time before they were really good and it's been a long time since. So all right, they had the Sam Donald dear and.
Speaker 1: That was that. Jeremy says, I know you guys love to do restaurant recommendations, but what about stadium recommendations? What's on your bucket list for college football stadiums to attend and which ones have you been to that verballers should go to. So for those listeners who do not know the full story of how this show came to fruition, Dan used to do a digital series for SI dot com called The College Football Tour Guy. The SI Tour Guy as he was later known. You visited a lot of college football stadiums, so your resume, at least in this sense, is far deeper than mine. What are your recommendations here.
Speaker 2: Wisconsin in terms of putting it all together? Game environment, Tailgating town is really strong in the Big Ten. I've enjoyed going to some of the like the cocktail party. It's not a college town. I would if you're looking at bucket list stuff, maybe don't go to a neutral site game. In terms of places I haven't been that i'd like to go, I still haven't been to the Plane, so I haven't been to an Auburn game. I haven't been to Stillwater or Norman. I'd like to go to both of those places I haven't been to. I'm not dying to go to a Florida State or Miami game, but I would. That's just not top of my list where some of other you know, the smaller college towns are. Clemson's a really good time if it's a big game. They just don't play that many big games with what the ACC is like right now. Sure, unless I guess Notre Dame comes to town or if you know, North Carolina or Louisville continue to improve. What else is on my Tennessee is wild. I love my time at Tennessee. That is a just enormous undertaking. Oregon and Washington are both fun out west in the Pacific Northwest, it's you know, even though Seattle's not a college town that stadiums run on the lake as well, it's a good time. I'm trying to think other bucket lists. I Wisconsin to me is in the Midwest, Notre Dame is a good time, but South Bend didn't really move the needle for me. But the actual Notre Dame campus and stadium was pretty incredible. So yeah, I would say in the Midwest, go to Madison would be my verdict. And in the South, lsu or Ole Miss l it's.
Speaker 1: Your ole, miss Okay. I'm gonna go with your recommendations. Go with bands recommendation. George is also a great time. Georgia was a good time. I enjoyed my enjoyed my game, and I saw at Georgia. Yeah, which new higher This is from MSU jargon great, which New Hire will win the most games next year? And which coaches will be on the hot seat in twenty twenty. So we're just skipping over twenty twenty here and going right to the end. So here's a quick listing of new coaches. We've got Sam Pittman at Arkansas, Eli Drinkwoit's at Missou, Mike Leech at Mississippi State, Jeff Haffley Boston College, Mike Norvelle Florida State, Jimmy Lake at Washington we mentioned him earlier, Mel Tucker at Michigan State. We've got Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss. We've got Greg Ciano at Rutgers, Ryan Silverfield Memphis, Jeff Scott USF Dave Randa Baylor, Kaylin de Boor at Fresno State. We've got Brady Hokee at San Diego State, And did I mention Todd Graham Graham at Old There.
Speaker 2: Are more than this, but these are the ones I guess we'll consider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, so of these here, Yeah, who who strikes you as being in the best situation too, let's say win the most games and or potentially make a make a big Bowl game.
Speaker 2: So there's only a couple of them where the coaches left because the situation was good and they decided to retire or move on to a bigger job. And so it's Ryan Silverfield at Memphis, Jimmy Lake and Washington Nick Rolovich. I forgot to mention Nick Rolovich at Rolovich Washington State. Yes, obviously Jeff Tedford retired for health reasons from Fresno State. San Diego State is in a good situation, especially on defense, and Baylor in bringing in David Randon to replace your guy Matt Ruhle heading to the Carolina Panthers. So a lot of like continuity schools, I'm probably gonna say Ryan Silverfield at Members I've got him highlighted returning quarterback, non major conference but semi major conference, depending on where your brain's at. I think he's in a good situation continuity wise, whereas a lot of these guys are either in very tough divisions, tough conferences, or are inheriting a talent level that's probably year two, three years away. So I'm gonna go with Ryan Silverfield here I agree.
Speaker 1: Moving on, all right, Taylor says, tell me something good about Texas Tech football. Oh, Alan Bowman's good. Alan Bowman's good. They've also got a terrific home schedule. They have a good scat next year. They've got Baylor, Texas.
Speaker 2: And Oklahoma all at home. Their defense was probably their best defense and now the Big twelve is very different in twenty nine, but probably the best defense since like twenty thirteen. Yeah, something like that. To set up points per drive was like seventy seventh, which is a revelation to just being kind of below average. So it's going to be an interesting year. Alan Bowman seems to always get hurt, so sometimes quarterbacks get hurt a lot and then they just don't and hopefully that's what happens to Texas Tech.
Speaker 1: He also says actual questions, so apparently that wasn't his real question. Oh okay, how does the Pac twelves continued dissent impact the overall landscape of college football if it doesn't improve in the next few years? How does realignment look for West Coast football? So does he mean realignment in a figurative or a literal sense? Because I am here for the literal sense if we mean like that like Pangaea.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's do that thing again, land masses rejiggering.
Speaker 1: Oh let's get Chip Brown online one, Let's do this thing over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the West Coast literally breaking off the rest of the country and floated to the Pacific, right right, it makes it worse. I mean, the Pac twelve playing interesting games on a channel that everybody gets is a net positive for everybody involved. I don't know if and when that happens, So I think he's probably asking, like, does the PAC twelve and Big twelve do they merge? That seems to be the underlying part of his question. I don't think so, but I can't swear that it won't happen. Yeah, it is important for every single major conference to have impressive teams at the top and good enough teams in the middle that any given week something weird can happen, sort of like where the Big twelve I think more often than not has been Maybe what the SEC looked like in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen when Ole Miss became a player, what the ACC was like with you know, the annual Clemson Florida State but also you know, Louisville's hanging around Teddy Bridgewater, all these teams. That's what you want, and that's where the PAC twelve isn't. The PAC twelve has chunks of impressive teams at different places. You know, ASU here and there, USC's offense Utah until they have to play talented teams Oregon when they're not let down against a team like ASU or finishing the Auburn game in that way. They need that quality of the top. They need two really strong teams at the top and then four teams after that that it had their act together. You know, get that three out of three on the competence test that we did on the twos cruise midway through the year. And I'm not confident in it.
Speaker 1: I really am not.
Speaker 2: So I think college football is just going to continue to suffer without a decent PAC twelve.
Speaker 1: So we just move Arizona and Arizona State, along with Colorado and Utah over into the Big twelve. I guess they'd have fourteen teams at that point, so I have the back to the pack eight I think, so, yeah, that will be eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really a solution is to take out teams and fan bases oh, I am, I am here for this. You take out maybe the best one of the best two college basketball teams in the conference in Arizona or programs. Yeah, that's a very strange okay, maybe the only consistently good team football wise in Utah.
Speaker 1: Jake says, what traditionally bad program would you want to suddenly become a national power? Yeah? The example he uses here is Ucla. He says, UCLA is now the best team in the Pac twelve and a consistent top ten teams. So he says, traditionally bad program. I guess, yeah, which is kind of misleading, Like, yeah, is Ucla traditionally bad? I don't know if they go that far.
Speaker 2: So if we were to shift this to like underperforming underperforming, yeah, given what we consider to be a higher ceiling than what they've shown.
Speaker 1: I actually did take this in a more literal sense, traditionally bad. So I went through each Power five conference and identified the schools that I would want to root for to suddenly become that national power in the ACC For me at Syracuse, Syracuse has been traditionally pretty bad. Yeah, okay, And I've always been a fan of Otto the Orangeman. Yeah. Out of the Orange, So for me, it's Syracuse. Also, the Carrier Dome just a weird place to play. I do enjoy that element more notoriety for the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, and the Orange is pretty exciting. Iowa State in the Big Twelve now, maybe not so much recently, but Iowa State's been a doormat for a long time in the Big Twelve and I've enjoyed what's going on there under Matt Campbell, and I'd love to see more of it. So Iowa State the national power.
Speaker 2: Iowa State is an easy, easy answer, just because those games, when the big Games and ames are always fun.
Speaker 1: In the Big Ten, Minnesota is really interesting to me. Minnesota had a renaissance this past year and PJ Fleck is trying to build them up accordingly. But they play in an outdoor stadium in the middle of winter. It's maybe not the easiest place to recruit to, but it definitely poses an interesting challenge if you're a team having to go to Minneapolis in mid to late November.
Speaker 2: I'd rather have Nebraska as a super strong team in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: But they're not traditionally bad.
Speaker 2: Maybe underwhelming, modern underwhelming.
Speaker 1: Modern underwhelming. Okay, I could get behind that too.
Speaker 2: But Minnesota is currently peaking, and he used the example of top ten Ucla and you are pointing out Minnesota, who literally.
Speaker 1: Just finished the season.
Speaker 2: I know, but traditionally they've been very bad. I don't think no, Minnesota has not been traditionally very bad. They have been an average program. Oh, come on, they've been They're a perennial bowl.
Speaker 1: Program, are they. Yeah, look that one up. Okay, I'll look at it. If I'm wrong, yell at me, I'll take Okay, Okay, Pac twelve, Pack twelve, I've got cal.
Speaker 2: I think i'd rather have Ucla. They're playing the Rose Bowl. They've had big names come through their Chip Kelly's there now, so that means Chip Kelly's reigniting the program, which I think is.
Speaker 1: A positive thing. What about Arizona?
Speaker 2: Arizona's fine, They're fine. I think Ucla is just a better answer.
Speaker 1: Do you know the one? Okay, it might be a better answer. But the one thing that I find interesting about.
Speaker 2: You, since nineteen ninety nine, Minnesota has four seasons where they haven't been to a bowl game. Really, so since nineteen ninety nine, if I'm going to add on the fly, seven, nine, fourteen, sixteen.
Speaker 1: Out of.
Speaker 2: Twenty one seasons, they've been to a Bowl game.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I didn't know that. I'm going to leave this in the show.
Speaker 2: That was after a long gap. We thank you that the Jim Whacker era, yeah, was not super kind.
Speaker 1: All right, So there's a little something for everybody. If you want to yell at me, at Suliver, well you can yell at me. It's fine. Shout out Joe Salem, shout out Murray Warmath. That's right, Stole. What I was going to say, though, is the one thing that I don't know if it comes through on any of our shows, is, of course you're mister Pac twelve, mister Oregon. Yeah, people know that, but I don't think it ever truly comes through. Just how angry you are that Arizona isn't better.
Speaker 2: I do want Arizona. Arizona is a great time. What were we just discussing this with someone disappointing we were we were just talking about this very point and Arizona not being a boll team is the dumbest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: It comes through like fire on the Mysterious g Chat when we talk about Arizona and you are genuinely, like viscerally angry. Yeah, over the fact that this is not a better football program.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a legacy. My mom went to Arizona. Yeah right, proud graduate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think UCLA is the better answer there. Uh.
Speaker 2: Colorado, I think is they're not print. They've won a national championship, but it'd be better if Colorado were better. I'd want probably, and they appear maybe to be on an upswing. I'd love for Tennessee to be a power again, yeah, and add some depth to the East there. I'd love for Arkansas to be mixing it up once again. I mean those like the run DMC teams. Yeah, amazing, amazingly fun to have Arkansas on the mix.
Speaker 1: At the top of the sport. I'm okay with both those. Yeah, yeah, all right, where do you want to go next year?
Speaker 2: Let's go to let's go to Mike any tips for being a new dad and watching college football? Now, this is sort of we're doing a non college football and not like a non college football part two to this Q and A yes, but this is a college football specific watch question, so I'm gonna do my best to tie it specific to watch in college football uh. He and his wife are expecting their first in August. So I'm trying to strategize the fall and the college football intake now.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna sit this one out. No, Ty, I think you should jump in. I could.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm you have so many good answers when you talk about things that you're not personally experienced with, and so do I.
Speaker 1: I have a puppy, which isn't quite the same thing. What so if you want, if you want feedback on that side of things, Mike, I'd be happy to oblige.
Speaker 2: But no, have you ever have you ever in person when somebody is talking about their kids, say, listen, I don't have a.
Speaker 1: Killing that puppy. I listen, I have a puppy. So if I can jump in right here, no, I haven't.
Speaker 2: And I drop your kid off at obedience school while you're at work, that's right, and you'll they'll give you a certificate.
Speaker 1: All right, so's what's what's the strategy here?
Speaker 2: The strategy is to get your kid probably sleep training. I have a couple recommendations as early as they'll let you, so you get on a good schedule.
Speaker 1: You're trying to get me to buy this from my cousin who just reads.
Speaker 2: I've got a really good recommendation, but I think I'm gonna try to get them on board as a sponsor.
Speaker 1: You gotta get him as a sponsor first.
Speaker 2: You gotta get him as a sponsor first, because I it will be the best reads I've done since I told the world how much you love Manscape. That's right, great, you gotta get them. You gotta get them on a regular sleeping schedule. And then what you have to do is to your spouse, say what do you want to get done? Do you have errand's? Do you want to take a nap? Do you want to go for a run, do you want to visit, you know, hang out with your friends? You let me know what you want to do, because I want to go to the gym, and I want to schedule that around the sleep schedule. And then you go to the gym for the last hour of a game you really want to watch. If you're in make sure you go to a gym that has TVs because I would also recommend your instinct is going to be I need to sleep when the baby sleeps, and that's right. But also sometimes instead of taking a nap, you should go work out, because that's very good for your brain and your body. So I would time up gym visits with a TV or just like bring a tablet that you can stream games on and just go real slow on the treadmill, real slow on an ex exercise bike and find that window of football watching you want to watch, or just DVR games and do the best job you can without finding out the results. And you're gonna be up in the middle of the night anyway, probably either with your wife or solo if that's how you're feeding, and you know, zoom through games that you know two.
Speaker 1: Forty four window, window of opportunity, window of opportunity, window of opportunity, I think is I'm what I'm hearing here?
Speaker 2: Okay, but do some do some time management negotiation and be the one to say, when what do you want to get done? I will watch the kid and then time it up so your gym visit coincides with the last hour at you.
Speaker 1: That's it. Well, good luck to you, Mike, Congratulations, be giving. Let's do like two or three more here, yes, and call it a night. Austin Taos says, what do y'all think? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did I do the y'all right, I mean you've long done, y'all, so yes, that was an improvement.
Speaker 1: What do y'all think the ideal conference size slash structure should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bill Connelly's pods obviously obviously get pods going, so teams play each other more often than not, because what do we have this We had Texas A and M and Georgia playing for the first time since joining the same conference.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: I avoid situations like that with pods to schedule regularly occurring matchups.
Speaker 1: I like twelve. I like twelve. I like nine conference games, and the I guess the extra flavor that I would add to this, And I don't know how you could possibly enforce this, but I got twelve teams, nine conference games, and one, honest to goodness, try at a premium non con opponent.
Speaker 2: I don't even need nine. I'm okay with eight if everybody's if everybody across the board is playing ten Power five games or something like that in the way that we have these you know, Clemson, South Carolina, Florida, Florida State, we have these inter conference annual matchups. If we get those, I'm fine with an eight game pod.
Speaker 1: System. Okay, I like the pod system, I just don't think it's realistic.
Speaker 2: Look up, look up Bill Connolly's pod system, and I think you will all be converts.
Speaker 1: Converts because we can't do a Q and A show without a Jim Harbaugh question. This one for Abbot, says dear friend, Abbot, Dear friend, Abbot. He says, not that I think there's a better option, but how many straight losses to Ohio State will hire ups at Michigan take before showing Harball the door? Abbit abbit, habit habit listen quote, Not that I think there's a better option end quote. Is doing a lot of work in this question, Dan, Yeah, a lot of work here. I think it's far more likely that Jim Harbaugh finds a different gig, most likely in the NFL, than Michigan ever firing him. Agree, disagree.
Speaker 2: I don't care that much about Jim Harbaugh's job security, but I think the way he framed this question is right. That not that I think there's a better option. I think if I were to frame this question would be how many times can he lose to Penn State and or Wisconsin and or Iowa say before his seat warms up? I don't think Michigan has to consistently beat all of those teams every year before we can And we've talked about this before before. Ohio State is the measuring stick for Michigan. I know their arrival, but they're ahead. They're just ahead or as a program, and they're ahead by a considerable margin if you look at the recent scores.
Speaker 1: I know there was the JT.
Speaker 2: Barrett game, but it doesn't look like Ohio State is going to have a quarterback who is similar to J. T. Barrett or has j T. Barrett's consistency limitations anytime soon. So beat those three teams in Michigan State. I mean, we'll see. I mean Michigan State is not in the position right now. I think of Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State. But Michigan has to jump out of that group before we can say we only lost in another one of Ohio State. I think it's just I think it's framed improperly, even if that's the reality. So I think if he loses the next three by three plus touchdowns, right, and it's the game that seals Michigan as a cements Michigan as a non double digit, that's cementsa nine and three season. I think it warms up, but there has to be an obvious person to ascend to that position, and the odds of that happening are not zero. But it seems sort of like a stretch, sort of like a stretch like Jim Harbaugh and having acrimony at San Francisco and having acrimony and ann arbor with Brady Hoke. That was obvious. I don't know who that obvious name is. I'll bet you it's not Less Miles. All right, Well we'll see, Yeah, we'll see. We did see offensive improvement towards the latter half of the year, so I think, at least on the coaching side of the offense, the move to go out and change the system up did yield some results later down the stretch. I don't know if that translates to beating Ohio State. I don't know if that translates into getting Michigan too a more stable spot. But I was encouraged by that at the minimum. So Grizzly Grizzly Web asks a fascin grizzly web, Okay, what can a school do to change the national perception that their school has a very toxic fan base, He adds here he's a diehard Colgate fan.
Speaker 1: No. Wow, I don't know if you thought about this at all. I thought about it a little bit, and I don't know what a school can do. I didn't even see this question. Yeah, it came.
Speaker 2: It came in earlier today, or it was came in pretty late on the subreddit soliverble do reddit dot com Join.
Speaker 1: Now what I think a lot of this is dependent on is maybe the fan communities.
Speaker 2: Are there funny people, funny fans that are tweeting out funny things or starting blogs or podcasts or video series that they themselves come off as being somebody with a sense of humor, somebody who doesn't take things too too seriously, and somebody creating a sort of fan universe that you want to be a part of because it doesn't seem full of hate and toxics. So what you're saying is that we have reopened our recruitment. Yeah, as a college football entity, the soliverbal is open to changing its fan affiliation.
Speaker 1: Can you to that point? Can you hire someone like a Matthew McConaughey, Like a Matthew McConaughey. Of course you can't.
Speaker 2: I don't think Texas was ever thought of as being toxic.
Speaker 1: No, But like you, if you put Matthew McConaughey in or on top of a really toxic situation, do you think that would immediately revive the image of that fan base.
Speaker 2: So I was going to actually go to Texas A and M. Okay, not that I thought Texas A and M was toxic, but it definitely appears to be a fan base that can get too serious.
Speaker 1: So if you took McConaughey, yeah, and transplanted him, forgot about his Texas affiliation, right, and moved them over to the A and M side of things, do you think that was flaming this up? Well, I'm trying. It's one of our last question. That's what it was he was saying.
Speaker 2: So, for instance, like textags doesn't an incredible job covering the Aggies, right, they are just one stop solution. They produce a ton of content. I know they're affiliated or war affiliated with the Athletic whatever it is. And it's just like this, this grouping of diehards. I remember, like Robert Gates was on textags, right, Secretary of Defense, like you just have and so like I would always just think about text saying M like, Okay, there's this this ag and like military type school and they don't have the history of top level success, but they expect it. They're so serious. They're they're on message boards all year long. They have these like crazy important people on there. And then the good bull hunting people popped up and they do an incredible job and they have like a sense of humor and I always am excited to see what they have to say about the Aggies and they do really fun graphic and stuff like that. And that totally altered my overly serious perception of Texas A and M and their fan base because those guys are good at what they do in terms of not going berserk and having a little fun with it. Felt the same way about some Iowa fans that are funny, like Spencer Hall and Florida. Like when you have those prominent fans or communities that do a good job of putting things in perspective and getting a little wacky, that changes things for.
Speaker 1: Me, Hmmm, fair or not? Okay, I don't know what you do.
Speaker 2: Because these are they're the most public facing fans if you're asking about toxic because every every school has a section of fans that are yelling at recruits online and are poisoning trees and yelling terrible things to children wearing the wrong colors at games. That exists everywhere. That's this dumb sport that we love. But yeah, I think you just got to get lucky with some of your public facing fans.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say Russian disinformation, Dan, but that's all. You have a much better thought out answer, so we can go with that.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this, Mike Golick Junior has done a nice job of young and up Notre Dame. Oh yeah, and that's a very old angry Fanase not that angry you've done.
Speaker 1: Okay too, I'm not as well. I didn't play for Notre Dame. No, but all right, final question here from Peter. All right, who has been your favorite player that you discovered by accident? Example, you turn on Team X because you've heard about their star tight end, but discover their running back that no one else is talking about. He's really the one who melts your butter. I love that term melts your butter. So I have a very easy one for me, and it probably doesn't quite fit the example that he laid out. But for me, it's Clyde Edwards Hilaire. Oh, good answer.
Speaker 2: For Ellis answer, good answer, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank That's what they tell you at game shows to do. Yeah. No, for me, it's Clyde Edwards Hilaire. I had tuned in for Joe Burrow all last season, and I feel like every time I saw Clyde Edwards Lair, I came away impressed, like I was seeing him with virgin eyes dan for the first time. So Clyde Edwards Lair for me, it's an easy answer.
Speaker 2: This year he was He started the season as a backup, but obviously Michael Cunningham to me, Michael Puma pass got Saderfield's first year, they start running all over Notre Dame and then things kind of go south. But then he's a revelation for Louisville. Didn't originally tune in for him, but there he was. I remember specifically, and maybe I'm misremembering, but when Kansas State was really peaking seven, eight, nine years ago with Colin Klein, it was like he's the new t Bow and he would always he would always do that sort of stutter, like it's going to be a draw. And pop back or do little pop passes and stuff like that. And Kansas State was winning a lot of games. People were going into Manhattan thinking they could come out with a win. What is it, Bruce Snyder family whatever, and they didn't know. And I would watch some of those games for Colin Kline, and I guess the good people Samsung did too, because he's all over their commercials. But then I saw who when he would throw it, every time he threw it to this one dude, he would catch it, and then they just kept throwing it to him and nobody could cover him. And I love that element more than I love Colin Kline. And that was Tyler Lockett, Okay, And he just sort of came out of nowhere for me that like, just consistently he was dependable, he was unguardable. Those are the guys, the receivers that just continue, like I mean this year with Minnesota, that did it a little bit for me that I was watching. Okay, let's see if Tanner Morgan gets better than like they have. Arguably the maybe it's not Ohio States level, but maybe the best receiving duo in the conference. Tyler Johnson and or Sean Bateman. Those types of surprises happen every year for me, it's happened for teams I root for it, it happens for teams I root against. I remember feeling that way about Buddha Baker for Washington.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we're just like damnd. It's everywhere, man, Tyler Locket's such a good answer. I've had him stashed away on my fantasy football bench for like five years, waiting for him to pop, and it finally happens like the last two years. Get it. Oh that's good. Yeah, okay, well, thank you one, thank you all for the questions. Yeah, don't forget to go on out to that link I mentioned earlier, soliverble dot com slash live. We want you to take our survey. Let us know if you want to come see us in person. We're still trying to figure out where exactly we're going to go in the month of August, but your feedback will most certainly help, So if you can fill that out, that be helpful. Don't forget to follow us on all of our social media channels and by all means, if you got something to say, if you want to talk to us, take a knee, talk a little bit more individually, more personally. Cliverrable at gmail dot com is always the email addressed.
Speaker 2: In Yeah that's all I got. I think that's all I have. I was listening to a podcast I really enjoy that. I'm sure is much too big for me shouting them out to do anything. But there's a show called Two Bears, One Cave Tie. Oh nice couple, comedians Thompsoner and Burt Kreischer, And on this week's episode they made a point of over emphasizing love and it brought me great joy. If you decide to listen to that show, it's it's for mature audiences. It is not safe to listen to at work out loud. But if you like comedians and like podcasts, they do a great NSFW is the NSFW. Lou make me very happy. I laughed on a subway.
Speaker 1: Platform for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty Hilde Brian, thank you so much for tuning into the show. We will catch you all in a week. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your week, all of your weekend, and hey, stay so peace.