Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Appo, CarPlay, and.
Speaker 2: Then roud Otto with the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: We know now what we've all been waiting to know for the last sixteen days. Who was going to join Vice President Kamala Harris on the ticket this cycle? We now know that it is the Governor of Minnesota, Tim Walls, perhaps not known to many, but maybe known to some in part because of his viral cataloging of JD. Vance and Donald Trump as weird. Remember this on CNN earlier this summer, people.
Speaker 4: Kept talking about, look, Donald Trump is going to put women's lives at risk.
Speaker 2: That's one hundred percent true.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump is potentially going to end constitutional liberties that we have, end voting. I do believe all those things are a real possibility, but it gives him way too much power. Listen to the guy he's talking about, Hannibal Lecter and you shocking Sharks and just whatever crazy thing pops into his mind. And I thought we just give him way too much credit.
Speaker 5: Weird crazy. There you have it from Tim Walls. Fast forward Kaylee a week in change and he's now on the Democratic ticket. We're going to be seeing him at five thirty Eastern time, or so goes the schedule, alongside Kamala Harris at Temple University in Philadelphia. So we've got a race here, and the sprint begins as we bring in Gregory Cordy, Bloomberg Politics reporter with this at the table here. Gregor, you've been covering this campaign cycle since the beginning. It's not till now that we actually have a race, which is kind of remarkable. Here in the throes of August, on our way to the Chicago convention, Republicans have been trying to frame Kamala Harris, trying to identify her. They've got another job here to try to identify an essentially unknown politician when it comes to the most households and a race to frame this person into something that can help one side or the other. How's this going to work out?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he is pretty much a blank slate for most voters, and so both sides will try to sort of, as you say, frame up some sort of a reference point for who.
Speaker 7: Is this guy?
Speaker 6: And was it say about Kamala Harris that she chose him as her running mate. You know, I think what we've already seen from Republicans is that he is an extreme liberal. I'm not sure how that's going to play. He is sort of a middle American. He's got a you know, life story that is, you know what, born in a small town. Yeah, when in the Army National Guard, rose to the rank of command sergeant major. So this isn't an officer. This is the highest ranking enlisted man ever to serve in Congress. He was a teacher and a football coach before he decided to run for Congress. So those are the things we're going to hear from from Democrats. But he also, it does have a very progressive streak. As a governor. He instituted paid leave and childcare, free free lunch and breakfast at public schools, lgbtq Q rights, abortion rights, a whole litany of progressive policy positions. So yeah, he is somebody who, depending on how you look at him, could be either a very moderate or very liberal.
Speaker 3: Well, when we think more critically about some of those quote unquote progressive policy positions, free lunch for school children, paid family leave. Are these ideas that are actually unpopular or are these actually, whether or not you cast them as left right or center, things that most of America would sign on too too.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 6: I think the the what we can now call the Harris Walls ticket hopes that they are very popular, and they are if any one of these policies in isolation and you pull them, these are very popular things. What Republicans is going to try to do is sort of put them in a package of very expensive nanny state proposals that are big sign of how she's going to be big government, big spending liberal in the mold of what we have seen from Joe Biden with his Building Back Better agenda that has focused on this sort of care infrastructure of American life.
Speaker 5: People were just as surprised to learn as it was Tim Wallas as were surprised to learn it was not Josh Shapiro, which really seemed to be the narrative going into this day. The tip sheets were maybe onto something this morning in a slightly different way. But the statement from Josh Shapiro is striking if you read this. This came a couple of hours after the news leaked. As I've said repeatedly over the past several weeks, the running mate decision was a deeply personal decision for the vice president, and it was also a deeply personal decision for me. He says. Pennsylvanians elected me to a four year term as their governor, and my work here is far from finished, suggesting that this was some sort of mutual decision. I'm guessing the campaign didn't approve of this statement.
Speaker 6: Look, I mean, this is part of the game of selecting a vice president. And if you are if you can read the writing on the wall as a potential running mate and see that you're not going to get it anyway, as perhaps Roy Cooper, the governor of North Carolina did, and withdraw your name from consideration, saying it's not the right time or for personal reasons or family reasons or whatever have you, it's better to sort of bow out early. I think, you know, there's a lot of face saving here. In the end, I'm not sure how much of that really matters. I mean, there's only one person who can be vice president at a time. There's only one other person she can put on the ticket she had, you know, I think her campaign would say she had a lot of good Democrats to choose from. Yeah, the fact that she waited just as Trump did, right but to the last possible self imposed deadline to make this decision just hours before she's set to appear with with this candidate. I mean, this was something that she spent a good amount of time over the past few days, really sort of agonizing over all.
Speaker 3: Right, Gregory Cordy, who covers all things politics for us here at Bloomberg, thank you so much. It took a little bit longer than we thought, but the pick is in and we get reaction now from our signature political panel, Rick Davis and Jeanie shan Zey Noo Bloomberg Politics contributors are with us now here on Bloomberg TV and Radio. So obviously we know at this point, guys, Walls has been well received by Democrats from the AOC end of the spectrum all the way to Joe Mansion of West Virginia. It does seem that his candidacy is being welcomed with open arms. So for me, it's not even just a question of the Democratic reaction, it's the question of the Republican one, right, because they too also seem quite happy with this pick. Is Tim Walls the easiest one to run against.
Speaker 9: Well, he doesn't control any electoral votes directly, so I know Republicans were very nervous about having to fight a rearguard action against a VP like Shapiro who actually is in a state and is popular, who's got electoral votes that matter. So this simplifies things. They can tee off on him and there'll be no blowback. They've plan to lose Minnesota anyway, so that's one thing too. It does play to the sort of narrative that they've tried and frankly really unsuccessfully to pin Kamala Harrison, which is, oh, well, she's much too liberal for America. You know, coming out of the Biden administration. Biden is seen as a centrist. Kamala Harris they're trying to make her something other than that, and you know, this is their narrative, and so this kind of plays into that much harder to pin down other candidates like Kelly and Shapiro in that regard. So they're happy about this. They get this opportunity, and it's not without its controversy. Right, We've talked a little bit about you know, today the George Floyd incident and the the amount of time that the Vice president nominee Walls took as governor to get the National Guard out. There'll be all those kinds of things. There's plenty to talk about. The reality is this is a tough decision by Republicans because every day they go after Walls, they're not going after Kamala Harris. This is terrific for Kamala Harris because buying large people vote on her, not on him. So if they waste a lot of time and effort and money to define Walls, they could find out that in the meantime she has grown her image and is very popular and right now she's the only politician in this race that has higher positives than negatives, and they might miss that opportunity. So right now it's kind of a tough period of time for Republicans to figure out, like do they just give Walls a walk and go after Harris or do they jump on Walls. Today it's all Walls.
Speaker 5: A lot of interesting labels being thrown around here. Gregory Cordy just says, you need depending on the issues you pick, you could frame Tim Walls as a liberal or a moderate. I think you described him already as a populist progressive. What is that?
Speaker 10: Well, you know, I was trying to differentiate him from this notion that he is progressive. Let's face it, he did get the endorsements of the more progressive wing, from Bernie Sanders to Ilhan Omar. But many people look at Tim Waltz who know him from the Midwest and say he is something more of a populist and something that Gregory was talking about when in your conversation, this idea of populism as smaller government, stay out of our business. And Tim Waltz, when you look at it, has repeatedly said the golden rule of small town America is keep to yourself, mind your own business, and that is very popular to populists. Sorry for the double wording there as opposed to a progressive notion of big spending economic policies. And Kaylee was just talking about the fact that many of the policies he's supported, they're widely popular. And one thing when you listen to Tim Waltz defend his record, what does he say. He says, attack me any time you want. For giving every young person a free lunch at their school, that's something you can stand on attack me every time you want for helping subsidize the ridiculously expensive childcare costs in this country. So he's got a defense of that that is very attractive. And I would just say one statement that came out in support of him by Joe Manchin that you mentioned twice. Use the term that Josh you Win Grove is using in his article on the terminal now, which is normal bring back normality. That's what Tim Waltz does, normalcy in Washington. Can you imagine that's another popular thing that Democrats want to talk about with his choice.
Speaker 3: Well, Genie, as you bring up this notion of populism, that of course is also how we describe JD. Vance and Donald Trump, maybe in different ways, but it does seem that there is an attempt here to appeal to the exact same kind of voter, one in which populace messaging does resonate, specifically the American worker. We know that labor has come out in favor of Governor Walls, but labor is also a group that Trump and Vance are trying to attract. So what is the messaging that wins them over and how much daylight is there actually between the policies that both are likely to pursue.
Speaker 10: You know, I think this is a really smart choice just for that reason you described, because what the Democrats will try to do is co opt some of those moderate independents, maybe even soft and never trump Republicans who they need to win in these seven swing states. And you just take one example, an issue like gun control. Tim Waltz is famously somebody who it has guns, who uses guns, is a Second Amendment advocate, But he comes to it saying, we can have smart policies where people who use guns and are educated to use them and train to use them, can use them and have them in their homes, but we can do so safely, all the while protecting our young people in their schools. That's attractive to many people in the Middle. Yes, let people have their guns, but let's do so in a common sensical way. If you're not going to be able to have a gun, if you're on a terrorist watch list, maybe you're not allowed to have one at all. So he comes to it with that kind of approach that is attractive to people in the middle If they can co opt those people, they feel that they have a shot in some of these hard to reach middle of America towns and cities that are going to be so important in this blue wall.
Speaker 5: Reaching young people and reaching folks who may not always be politically active or interested is another part of this genie, and it's something that we talk a lot about the chemistry between these two, but also the personality, the way they project themselves in different forums here and I'm compelled by Tim Wall's command of social media, the number of young people who are aware of him from his cooking videos. This type of thing something Kamala Harris has gotten involved in, taking to Instagram or TikTok to do this kind of stuff. Here's a taste of what Tim Wallas is up to online.
Speaker 4: Just clip off the back you some shrink wrap connectors on there, tape it back together and put it back in. It's about a five minute fix and you're back on the road, safe and sound.
Speaker 1: So pro tip of the day.
Speaker 4: Second one is get out and vote for one Minnesota.
Speaker 11: Then you take it out, cut it and bone.
Speaker 1: Up and tea.
Speaker 5: Well, well, come on, bone up and tea. Kamala Harris working on dinner there. But they're not alone. Donald Trump, of course, no stranger to social media, has got his own social media company, and you might have seen him sit down for an interview with this Aiden Ross, a video gamer who's apparently very popular online. Rick he gifted Donald Trump a Tesla cyber truck and a Rolex, tapping into this sort of young macho guy thing online. How much of this presidential race and the bid to find people who are either undecided or not politically involved is going to find itself born here on social media?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's obviously Donald Trump is leaning into sort of the social media side of the campaign. Much of his campaign is really playing out on social media. I'll admit that I don't quite understand the whole influencer craze. The idea that millions of people would follow this young man who's you know, painted up Tesla truck and a watch and gave it to Donald Trump. I mean, to me, that is kind of an odd campaign event. I'm not sure I would have gone for it. But you know, they've probably got millions of views on you know, Instagram or x or true social. So the reality is there are kind of two, you know, different campaigns playing out. There's traditional media campaign where you hold events and you talk to the press and you buy TV advertising, and then there's an entire campaign being waged out there on social media where things like world wrestling champions prevail and folks who drive Tesla trucks seem to have a real hook. Whether or not that can actually turn out votes is a big question. I don't think anybody I know thinks that that necessarily is is good fruit to pick.
Speaker 5: Jury's still out on a lot of things here with our signature panel, great analysis from Rick Davis and Genie Shanzano. Just hours after the pick, Tim walls it is and thank you both for the insights they were on Kick, Kaylee, are you familiar with the platform no Kick live streaming and gaming mad Millennial?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just missed the boat.
Speaker 8: On a lot of that.
Speaker 5: I can't watch you gaming online? No, I guess we don't do that here.
Speaker 3: You can see us here though. On Bloomberg TV and radio.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay and then roud.
Speaker 2: Oro with the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven.
Speaker 3: Thirty While we've talked a lot about the news of the day, which is of course the presidential race and more specifically the tapping of Governor Tim Walls to be Vice President Kamala Harris's running mate, the current president of the United States has been busy today too. A readout just coming from the National Security Council spokesman saying that he just got off the phone with the leaders of Cutter and Egypt discussing diplomatic efforts to de escalate tension in the Middle East in the region and bring a ceasefire and hostage release deal to a conclusion. It's a reminder to us all, Joe that we are still awaiting retaliation from Iran and its proxies against Israel for the Israeli strikes we've seen against Hesbola and Hamas leaders in recent week.
Speaker 5: And we know the Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln met with top officials from Cutter in Egypt as well just yesterday, so we have an interesting moment here. We should also remind our listeners and viewers Joe Biden and Kamala Harris were together in the Situation room yesterday being briefed on Iran backed militia attacks against Americans in Iraq. This is a very delicate moment we're in, But Kaylee, I will say that the narrative has changed a bit here. We're seeing references to a response from Iran as a work in progress, and hope among American officials that they can prevent a retaliatory strike. We'll see how all of that goes. As Kaylee mentioned, I'm glad to be joined here at the table by Michael Allen, of course speaking global strategies and a reliable voice of ours when it comes to national security issues. Michael, it's good to see you and welcome back.
Speaker 12: Could we be in a world where there is no retaliation, it won't be for long. I think the Iranians have telegraphed that they feel like they have to do it. They were, of course, were embarrassed by the fact that they had a very senior Hamas political leader killed in in an Iranian government facility. So I think for their own sake, their own deterrence, their own toughness in the region, and the appearance that they need to give to their proxies, they have to do something.
Speaker 7: The question is what do they do directly.
Speaker 12: From their own territory versus what do their proxies do.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's either or.
Speaker 12: I think both will act in some way, shape or form. But I know the Iranians want to do it differently than last time. Last time everything was intercepted. I think they actually want to feel like they landed a punch this time.
Speaker 3: Well, as we think back to April, and it's been described to US as iron having sent it slowest things first, basically giving Israel forewarning that the attack was coming. Do you think they won't do that this time around, that not just Israel, but the other allies who came to Israel's defense, including the US, won't have as much time to prepare a response.
Speaker 12: I really do think that they will not to the degree that they telegraphed last time, and that's still up for I'll think I think they do less of it.
Speaker 7: This time around because I think they.
Speaker 12: At the end of the day, were probably losers in the equation. No people were killed, no major damage, certainly no damage to Israeli military facilities.
Speaker 7: So I think they want to be able to have a talking point. They want to claim a scalp.
Speaker 12: They want to say that we're tough and that we did something and that we're the regional hedgemon, and so I think they'll be less telegraphing and more trying to actually land a punch.
Speaker 5: You wonder to what extent that de escalates things. You were a special assistant to the President in the Bush administration. Someone else has your old job. Now, what are they telling Joe Biden about the various scenarios to plan for?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 5: Do you let Iran land a punch knowing that that might be the end of the tit for tat? How do you keep guardrails on this thing without getting too involved?
Speaker 12: So, as you know, we have the head of Central Command is in the region coordinating with the Israelis. I think that we're going to do as much or more than we did last time. More yes, to try to prevent drones, missiles, whatever the case may be, from getting into Israel proper. I think that's a very appropriate role for the United States. And I'm certain that we've tried to knit up others like the Saudi's and the UAE and the region to contribute as much as they possibly can. But what I think Biden's thinking about right now is what happened last night in Baghdad. Did they target directly our troops at the Air Force base there and or will they go after directly other US embassies or naval platforms or whatever the case may be in the region. I don't think they'll go for it, but we have to be ready for it because Hesbola took a shot at US.
Speaker 7: Israel, of course killed one of their leaders.
Speaker 12: And I think the way the Iranians view thinks is that we're complicit in whatever.
Speaker 7: Israel does well.
Speaker 3: And the US has tried and true come to the defense of Israel, but has consistently decided not to go on offense in many ways as especially you bring up the attack on the base in a Rock last night that we saw in a number of US personnel we're injured. Do you expect the US could actually be offensive in the region if things escalate further.
Speaker 12: So we've all been trying to look at what Biden said previously about what his personal redlines are. Was it actually that an American get injured or that an American die? To me, that's dancing on the head of a pen. They took a shot at us, the United States thought to hit back against them in some proper way, I think we have to worry about our own deterrence in the region, so I might lean a little bit more hawkish than someone else, But yeah, I think it is something that is on Biden's play right now. They took a shot at our people. We want to prevent them from doing this. Remember they were able to kill several some weeks some months ago now at a different installation than we had in Syria, and we just don't want that to tap it again.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about all this from a distance here as we sit in Washington. As you reference, could be the same or more support that we saw last time. There were American fighter jets shooting down missiles with air to air missiles in the middle of that operation. How high could the risk get for American pilots and navigators in the middle of all of this.
Speaker 12: Well, I think it depends on how many ballistic missiles and drones the Iranians try to go right now.
Speaker 5: It's the equivalent of boots on the ground, though we're just okay.
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, it sort of sounds like it, doesn't it. I mean, we're over Israeli airspace, probably Saudi and UAE air space at different times, trying to knock all of these out. I just don't think the Iranians are going to do it exactly like last time. Not that it was easy last time, but we were able to achieve what we wanted to achieve.
Speaker 7: They're going to make it harder this go around.
Speaker 12: I think the Israelis have to be prepared that some of this is going to go through, even if in the aggregate the United States has sent more squadrons and more other equipment and the like to the region.
Speaker 3: So of course, all of this is happening against the backdrop of the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, which is very highly political here in the US, if you will, and some would argue played a role in the selection of the vice president that Kamala Harris announced today. There are some in the Republican Party suggesting that the choice not to tap Governor Josh Shapiro, who is Jewish, was an anti Semitic one and it was bowing to the pro Hamas forces within the Democratic Party.
Speaker 7: What do you think about that idea.
Speaker 12: I think that there's probably a little bit to it, because I think what Kamala Harris probably wants to do most of all is.
Speaker 7: Play it safe.
Speaker 12: I don't think it was the decisive factor, but was it one among many? Do they want to have another big fight about what the Democratic administration's policy is on Israel and especially two state solution in the rest.
Speaker 7: I don't think that was the number one factor, but I bet.
Speaker 12: At the back of their mind they're thinking, we're trying to unite party, We're trying to put everything back together.
Speaker 7: Let's not find an issue that splits us.
Speaker 5: Well, it's been suggested though, that Kamala Harris is not the same, even though in the same administration, not the same when it comes to Israel. As Joe Biden. John Kirby says, there's no sunlight between them. Most people in Washington don't see it that way. How about you.
Speaker 12: Well, Kirby has to say that, of course, because she still serves in the Biden administration.
Speaker 7: But I even thought.
Speaker 12: Her body language when bb was in town last week was a little bit more perfunctory than it is around Biden. I can just sort of tell with her record and the way that I think that she's responded to some of these issues in the past, she's more in tune. I believe with what the progressive wing of the Democratic party thinks about Israel. Of course, net and Yaho's unpopular almost with all Democrats and even maybe many Republicans. So if Netanyaho's not there, maybe things change a little bit or hair to win. But for now, I think it's a safe bet to assume that she would be a little bit harder on a bb Netanyahu administration than would be certainly Trump, but obviously Biden also well.
Speaker 3: Of course, Natanyahu's facing domestic pressures of his own, specifically pressure to get the hostages home to agree to some kind of ceasefire deal. Do you realistically think that happens while President Biden is still in office.
Speaker 12: I'm increasingly thinking it's just not on the table. I mean, when you go and kill the head political leader for Hamas, who is an interlocutor of yours as you try to negotiate to get a hostage deal, I feel like what the Israelis are saying is is that this is not even at the.
Speaker 7: Very top of our priority list.
Speaker 12: What's at the top is going after Hamas, finishing up whatever we can do there if their targets there are not anymore.
Speaker 7: I know that's.
Speaker 12: Something that the Israeli generals have been communicating but I think Netanyahu's ready to move on to Hezbola. I think in his mind that he cannot live with another gen sidled terrorist organization on a second border like it occurred in the South with Gaza and Hamas. I feel like he's determined to go in. That was certainly the feeling I get.
Speaker 7: The more Israelis I talk to.
Speaker 12: So I think re establishing is Raleigh deterrence around the region, and resetting things in.
Speaker 7: The Middle East for Israel are at the top of his list, and I don't think.
Speaker 12: The hostage deal is at at least among the top two or three priorities.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, well, we have to continue to watch things in the Middle East as they develop. Thank you for helping us do so. Michael Allen, Managing director and partner at Beacon Strategies and as Joe mentioned, former special assistant to the President during the Bush administration.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Apocarplay and.
Speaker 2: Then Proudoto with the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 5: As we add the voice of Andre Gillespie, Professor of political Science at Emory University. Professor, it's great to have you. Before I ask you about Tim Walls and this selection. I just want to finish with what we were discussing there with Laura, and that's the idea that Josh Shapiro was the wrong pick. He was getting beat up for weeks about labor, about Israel, about a number of issues that had progressives concerned, and Tim Wallas is apparently the antidote to all of those things. Why do you think she looked past the governor of Pennsylvania because we also heard about his personality. John Fetterman said he was too ambitious. He might primary Kamala Harris in twenty twenty eight. Is that the real problem or was that the real problem with him?
Speaker 11: Well, I have no way of knowing that, so I won't speculate about those issues. What I will consider are all the pluses and minuses of each of the candidates, and the way that Tim Walls checks off boxes that Vice President Harris thinks are important when you're making vice presidential choice. Vice Presidential candidates rarely make enough of a DPT to actually help a candidate win an election, so people have been studying this for decades, and some of the earliest estimates suggested that perhaps you get a slight bump in the vice presidential nominees home state. It may not be enough to make a difference in a presidential outcome unless it's a raizor thin outcome, but people do look for things like balancing out the ticket and working well together. Only Vice President Harris and the people whom she interviewed can talk about what their chemistry was, but we can look at some of the ways that Tim Walls ostensibly balances out the ticket in ways that Josh Shapiro did not. So Tim Walls is somebody who is very well received by progressives in the Democratic Party, but his manner speaks very much to folks who are in the middle, That Midwestern plane spokenness. Just the idea of the invocation of weird as actually being an effective attack line against the Trump dvance machine is something that, you know, seems really natural to him. As a Midwesterner. He really does kind of embody every man populism.
Speaker 8: He's somebody who.
Speaker 11: Was not, you know, a lawyer. He's not a business person. He was a high school teacher and a football coach. Right, he served in the military as an enlisted person. He served in Congress where he was bipartisan and where he won in a district that was Republican. So he actually can satisfy progressives, and I think that he can make a strong case for being able to reach out to folks in the middle. He's got federal experience, and he's from the Midwest, and so Jos Shapiro brought a lot of strengths to a possible ticket with Kamala Harris, but one of the things that he couldn't bring was Midwestern balance or looking at the middle of the country instead of sort of thinking about that problem that Democrats have, you know, currently have sort of in recent history of being perceived as being the party of coastal elites. Bringing somebody in from Minnesota who grew up in Nebraska on a farm, I think really does kind of speak to some of those attacks and might cause some folks in the middle to give the ticket a second look, even though at the end of the day, people are going to decide based on Kamala Harrison, on Donald Trump, and not on JD.
Speaker 5: Vance. And that's one of the smartest answers, one of the smartest answers. I've heard yet Midwestern Balance suggesting professor that geography does matter, but not in the most obvious way that we think about with a governor delivering his or her own state. It's a different, more nuanced dynamic. And with that in mind, I'll ask you what it will be to put him on stage with jd Vance if in fact there's a vice presidential debate. Jd Vance spoke earlier today, he was on his jet. I actually called Tim Wats he said, I left a voicemail, didn't get him, told him congratulations. It'll be a good ride. Maybe he'll call me back, maybe he won't. Should Tim Walls return that phone call? And should these two debate?
Speaker 8: Well, I think the.
Speaker 11: Two should debate, you know, I think it remains to be seen. I don't know if it harms, you know, either candidacy one way or the other by putting somebody who's older, whose populist roots are not going to be called into question. It actually does, and in some ways at least call out Donald Trump's choice of jd Vance as the a spokesperson for the everyday working person. Tim Walt can more than hold his own against jd Vance and it would be really interesting to see them kind of talking, you know, in a debate and debating on those kinds of issues. I think in those particular instances, what Harris is betting on is that Waltz's age is actually an advantage here. So you get the extra twenty years of life experience, you get somebody whose career did kind before he went into politics, focused on normal, everyday politics, whereas when jd. Vance went to law school, you know, he then off into kind of sort of you know, high end business and you know, you know, and it was coming with a pedigree from Yale Law School. So I think in many ways, like the balance is actually also a counter to what Donald Trump was hoping to achieve by selecting jd Vance as his spokesperson.
Speaker 5: You talk about Midwestern balance, rural sensibility might be another way to look at it. He didn't move to Saint Paul until he won the governor's race. It's gonna be interesting to see these two out on the road together, Professor. They're going to be followed by J. D Vance over the course the next four stops or something like that on the road tour this week. How will Tim Walls be framed. They're going to have a video and so forth. He's going to be introduced. There's gonna be a lot of people yelling in a big standing ovation. But how will he be framed by the campaign? Is it this way that we're talking Is it Midwestern balance, rural sensibility. What is Kambala Harris going to serve up to the crowd later today in Philadelphia.
Speaker 11: I think she's going to all of that up. I think she's going to talk about the notion of Minnesota nice. So the idea that Walt can be the attack dog, sarrogate and spokesperson that vice presidential candidate usually is, but he can do so in a way that's uplifting and that isn't mean and divisive. The idea that he can hit back and hit back hard, but still be able to hold his dignity. I think she's going to tout his bipartisan record as an overture to those voters in the middle who may still be deciding who they're going to vote for, or moderate Republicans who might still have misgivings about supporting a Trump advance ticket, especially as it has emerged since the Republican nominating convention. I think he's going to talk about his record of providing goods and services to Minnesotan's with the legislature that he has at his disposal, So talking about things like free lunch for students and parental lead, all of these types of things that Democratic voters want to hear about and that Democratic politicians are usually trying to tout and talk about. He's actually been able to produce a record in Minnesota that actually speaks to those.
Speaker 8: Kinds of things.
Speaker 5: Andrew, it's really great to have you back. Associate Professor Political Science, Emmery University, Andre Gillespie. We always look forward to the conversation. Here.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast kens Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay and then royd Oto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 5: Tim Walls the pick for Kamala Harris's running mate. We have not seen them together yet, but we will a bit later on five point thirty pm Eastern time. Temple University the venue for their first event together here, and that's going to kick off a road trip that will follow here. Knowing that was the case, we were wondering, Kaylee, why it took so long for this choice to emerge. It's kind of confounding. She went bed last night, we're told, not knowing who she was going to pick. The staff was tasked with writing multiple speeches and creating the effects for multiple events depending on who she would pick. This morning, then the media leaked the news. It wasn't exactly the role out that the campaign had planned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do have to keep in mind because it's easy to lose sight of because everything has been so fast moving. But this was an incredibly truncated process. Well, yes, she only found out that Joe Biden wasn't running for president and wanted her to do it sixteen days ago, so she didn't have much time to think about this choice, maybe trying to soak every minute up that she could before letting the world know that it was. Indeed, Governor Walts she selected today.
Speaker 5: The democratic game of apprentice, and this case, we're told they didn't know each other terribly well before they met at the Naval Observatory last weekend. But I guess hit it off in a way that made this work. We heard a lot, Kayley, about chemistry going into this, not just geography.
Speaker 3: Yeah, indeed we did. And of course it is worth pointing out as you talk about the notion they may not have known each other very well. A lot of America probably doesn't know that's correct, Tim Walls very well. Who may have been googling when they heard the news today? Who exactly is that unless you're part of the social media crowd that got in on the weird trend he seems to have started. So on that note, let's turn now to Matt Bennett. He is executive vice president for public Affairs at Third Way and a democratic strategist. Matt, great to have you back here on Balance of Power. I'm Bloomberg TV and Radio. Obviously a lot of Democrats are celebrating this decision today. But when we consider we got a guy named Tim also being called America's dad, running with a woman, does this take you back to twenty sixteen in a way that makes you even just a little bit nervous.
Speaker 13: It does sound a little familiar, but I am not nervous. The context is very very different.
Speaker 8: Back then.
Speaker 13: We were not taking Trump as seriously as we auto. We weren't taking the third party threats seriously. All of that has changed. We know we're in a dogfight in this election. So I'm much more confident than I would otherwise be.
Speaker 5: So how does the Democratic Party or how does the ticket? I guess more specifically, here Matt Bennett frame this person most Americans have never heard of. To Kaylee's points, some know about the weird thing. He's labeled Trump and JD Vans and Republicans as weird, and that's stuck. They even have T shirts saying not weird that they're wearing at the Democrat rallies here. So is this the weird versus normal campaign?
Speaker 13: Yeah, exactly, I mean that's part of it. Like Tim Walls is about as normal a character type as you are likely to come across anywhere in American politics. I mean, he is the avuncular guy next door who can help fix your car. He's a football coach, he ice fishes. He was a very senior enlisted a guy in the United States Army and National Guard. He was a command sergeant major. I mean he checks a lot of boxes. And of course he's from the dead center middle of the country. He also is being characterized, I think incorrectly as being progressive because a lot of folks on the left were pushing for him. But in fact, if you look at his record, he's really a moderate. He was in Congress, he is his governor, and I think he's a perfect balance to the ticket for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: If his record is indeed more middle of the road Matt, it certainly isn't being characterized that way today by the opposition already calling him a radical liberal, dangerously liberal, perhaps describing him as leftist, a leftist leftists kind of a hard word to say. But if that already is out there percolating, how hard is it going to be for the now Harris Wall's campaign to fight back against that.
Speaker 13: I mean, they're going to have to do it a little. But remember they would call anybody. If she had picked Joe Manchin, he would have been a radical leftist, communist, socialist nutcase. I mean, that's what they do. But Tim Walls is none of those things. I mean, he wanted back in twenty eleven when he was in Congress, he voted for four trillion dollars of deficit reduction. He was part of the pay as you go caucus. He's very focused on kind of deficit and deficit reduction. He had an A plus rating from the NRA when he was in Congress. This is nobody's idea of a left wing radical. And keep in mind, of course, that while there was a lot of focus on Walls and what he's done leading up to this and today and maybe tomorrow after that, it's all about Kamala Harris and Donald Trump. It's the top of the ticket that people make their minds on, and so I think Walls will be a very good partner to her and will be a great surrogate for her, but ultimately it's up to Harris to beat Trump.
Speaker 5: Matt, what do you think of this anti semitic line that we're getting from the Trump campaign in Kamala Harris not choosing Josh Shapiro. The governor of Pennsylvania. JD Vance was on the Hugh Hewitt program, said quote, if it's not Josh Shapiro, I agree with you, this is something that Hewitt pos to him. I think they will have not picked Shapiro, frankly out of anti semitism for their own caucus and their own party. Referring to the fact that Shapiro is Jewish and has a bit of a harder line as we've learned when it comes to Israel policy. If this is something that we're going to be hearing in this campaign, how does she answer it?
Speaker 13: Well, let's speak clear. That is another example of Jdvan's being awful. He has completely abandoned all principle that apparently he once had according to his friends from law school, and now has none. That is an appalling lie. Kamala Harris is married to a Jewish man. As a Jewish person myself, I will completely reject the proposition that just because he didn't pick a Jewish guy doesn't mean she's an anti Semi. It had absolutely positively nothing whatsoever to do with that.
Speaker 7: And in fact, if you want to.
Speaker 13: Look for anti Semitism in this race, look no further than Donald Trump, who said that there were very fine people on both sides when a bunch of Nazis chanting Jews will not replace us marched in Charlottesville while he was president. So that is a ridiculous thing for fans to have said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does make you wonder if everyone is familiar with the second Gentleman of the United States of America. Mat It is an excellent point, and it's also worth pointing out it wasn't just Josh Shapiro that wasn't chosen. There were a number of other governors who were on this list, including senators as well, like Mark Kelly of Arizona. Everybody was looking to those representing actual battleground states. Matt, that is not what she went with here. Safely, Blue Minnesota hasn't gone for a Republican since nineteen seventy two. Is the real risk that that calculus actually backfires, That you should have had someone who could bring with him actual electoral votes that you wouldn't have had otherwise.
Speaker 13: No, that doesn't work anymore. No vice presidential nominee has delivered their state for the ticket since LBJ did it in nineteen sixty he delivered Texas. Since then, no one's done it. I mean, sometimes the ticket wins the VP state. I mean Bush won Wyoming, but it's not because Dick Cheney was on the ticket. That is just not a way that anyone who's really intimate with this process makes their calculus. The vice presidential pick probably will have limited impact. Trump was right about that the other day, but to the extent it has impact, it's really a feeling that voters will get about who Harris is and how they feel about her. That is what Walls's job is to do, is to create an image of her, and I think that kind of friendly, ubuncular, future, orient and optimistic feel is what they're going for, and I think they picked the right guy in that regard.
Speaker 5: Will we see a vice presidential debate?
Speaker 13: I hope so. I think Walls against Vance would be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 13: Vance is a smart guy. I'm sure he's an accomplished debater, but Walls has shown I think the reason that he shot up the charts in the VP race initially was because he goes on cable television and he just has this incredibly appealing presence and the things that he says and does are really compelling. And as you noted at the top, he'd kind of coined the idea that these guys are weird. And I really like the matchup of Walls versus Vance in a.
Speaker 3: Debate, So we'll see if we get that one. We'll still see if we get Donald Trump and Kamala Harris sharing a stage. She of course agreed to appear in the debate that Donald Trump initially agreed to on September tenth on ABC. He now wants to debate on Fox on September fourth. Matt, if you were the Harris campaign or if you were advising them, should they go ahead and show up and do that debate on Fox? What is the strategy that you would suggest here?
Speaker 13: You know, I don't know what they're going to do, but I hope they do it.
Speaker 8: I mean, she would.
Speaker 13: Dismantle Donald Trump. The thing that Kamala Harris is best at is standing up and prosecuting the case against a bad guy. I mean, that's who she is. She's a prosecutor. She's very good at it. We saw her do it on the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Trump, as we all know, just lies his way and bullies his way through these debates. As long as she could get a word in edgewise, and if they turn off the microphones the way they did in the Biden debate, she could. I think she would have her way with Donald Trump. So I hope she does it on Fox, on ABC, anywhere the two can meet.
Speaker 5: We spent a lot of time talking Matt Bennett about Third Party candidates. Going back to the no labels situation, Third Way was deeply invested. More recently, it's been Rfkage Junior. And there's an update to a story that we were talking about around this time yesterday, the fact that he chose to dispose of a dead bear cub in Central Park while he was on his way to a dinner at Peter Luger Steakhouse. Kind of a long story, but it's a real one. He told it himself online to Roseanne of all people, yesterday. Leave it to the crack reporters in Manhattan. We have learned that the the state's environmental conservation law has a statute of limitations, and OURFK Junior will not be charged. I guess we can say clearly now and honestly that Joe Biden will not be asked to pardon our FK Junior for this crime. An appropriate end here to this story.
Speaker 13: Probably, I don't know that he should go to jail for this, but I mean, the guy is a complete whacko, and I think it's very important for voters to understand that this is not his dad, he's not.
Speaker 7: His uncle or either of his uncles.
Speaker 13: He is a person of his own and he has some very weird ideas about all kinds of things. But if you gave AI computers a thousand years, that couldn't have written a story this strange. He is a very odd dug.
Speaker 3: I think we just found someone else in the weird category that you've thrown that word out for more than just JD Vance and Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Like Governor how along this campaign is a going concern well, and.
Speaker 3: It also becomes the question we've debated this for months now, Matt, whether or not the poll is from what was the Joe Biden campaign now the Paris Walls campaign versus the Trump Dvance campaign. What effect, if anything RFK Junior on the ballots that he is on will have in November if he makes it that far.
Speaker 13: You know, it's a really good question, Kley. And we just don't know exactly which sidle draw from. We may never know. We're talking about very small numbers of the electorate spread out all over the country, So the only voters that really matter are the ones in swing states who decide to vote third party. And some of them are going to be motivated because they're like super anti VAXX, and they are attracted to Kennedy and they wouldn't vote for either candidate either way. Those voters really are irrelevant. The people who matter are the ones who otherwise would vote for one of the major party candidates. And I think since Harris took over in this race, the number of people who call themselves double haters who don't like either candidate has gone way down, and so the risk, I think has gone down as well, not to zero, still a real risk, and we're still focused on it, but it's not as bad.
Speaker 8: As it was.
Speaker 5: He's vying for it still. On Twitter, producer James just produced a post from x RFK Junior America's political divide. He writes sharpens with the pick of Tim Walls for DEMVP. He called Trump supporters fascist and weird, and they in turn are calling him worse than that. Hashtag Kennedy twenty four Matt Bennett. I guess we're not done talking about all three of these campaigns. He's at Third Way executive vice president Mac. Great to see you and thank you for the insights.
Speaker 1: You're listening to. The Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast catches live weekdays at noon Eastern onmo car Play and then Reuno with the Bloomberg Business app Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts A watch us live on YouTube with.
Speaker 5: The big news we were waiting for. It came a little later than we were waiting for. I was checking the phone at five sick. I looked again, started to refresh. At seven, I figured I missed something that I'm on the air with Tom Keane. Still no name, but it leaked finally to the media, making us wonder after CNNAAP got their hands on this, whether she was planning to roll this out on stage at Temple University, or how exactly the thing was supposed to work. There never was a Twitter video as we expected, but it's done. Tim Walls the headline on the terminal Harris taps Minnesota's Walls for ticket in Rust Belt play, even though we're talking more lately about the sun Belt, which is interesting. I should note, by the way, if you were with us earlier, I was asking about whether Governor Shapiro was going to be their producer. Ceci says he is scheduled to appear and deliver remarks, which should be interesting to hear the way he approaches this following his statement earlier. So who is Tim Walls, the governor of Minnesota with rural sensibility, six term congressman, coach, teacher, member of the Army National Guard, started to become known to people two Sundays ago when he appeared on CNN and showed up with the word weird. Here he is.
Speaker 4: People kept talking about, Look, Donald Trump is going to put women's lives at risk. That's one hundred percent true. Donald Trump is potentially going to end constitutional liberties that we have, end voting. I do believe all those things are a real possibility, but it gives him way too much power. Listen to the guy he's talking about Hannibal Lecter and shocking sharks and just whatever crazy thing pops into his mind. And I thought, we just give him way too much credit.
Speaker 5: Shocking sharks. They were wearing He's not Weird t shirts at the Walls rally last night. And this is where we start our conversation with Brad Howard, founder President Corkoran Street Group, democratic strategist. I called you a brawler earlier, Brad. I hope that's okay, because I wanted to talk with somebody who knows what it's like to get into the fight and the fight starts today. First, just broadly this selection. I know that the progressive left did not like the idea of Josh Shapiro. They love this idea. Was this the right choice?
Speaker 8: Absolutely?
Speaker 14: I think Governor Waltz has shown an ability to appeal to rule Americans. I think he's shown ability to fight for families when he was governor. I think he's going to be a fantastic vice president. And so we have Governor Shapiro. I mean, the fact that these two were the top two choices show the diversity of the ticket, both in geography, ideology, and approach to governing.
Speaker 8: And let's be very.
Speaker 14: Clear that Governor Shapiro is still on the ticket. He's on the Democratic ticket, and he's going to work his heart out in Pennsylvania to ensure the commonwealth goes or the Harris Waltz ticket. And this is probably the most pro family ticket we have seen in decades from either party. And so while Donald Trump and Jade Vance are focusing on their extreme weird maga agenda, you're going to see Kamala Harris and Tim Waalts with family's front and center.
Speaker 5: You're of course going to hear about how he is a radical leftist from the Trump campaign, and that's that's the job of the Trump campaign saying the same thing about Kamala Harris. But there's an undercurrent here, Brad, that we have to acknowledge. On the Hugh Hewitt Show, jd Vance, of course, Donald Trump's running mate, was asked, Hugh Hewitt says, if it's not Josh Shapiro, that's because he'll be Jewish and because he's a supporter of Israel. What does that tell you about the Democratic Party if it's not Josh Shapiro. Jd Vance said, quote, if it's not Josh Shapiro, I agree with you. I think that they will have not picked Shapiro frankly out of anti Semitism in their own caucus and in their own party. That is a direct quote, and that's part of the narrative that's already on the campaign trail. Brad. How should Kamala Harris answer that? Knowing that there were progressives who thought that Josh Shapiro had the wrong ideas about Israel policy and was not sympathetic enough with Palestinians living in Gaza Go.
Speaker 14: The answer this question is Tamala Harris, and I think it actually shows how much she respects and appreciates Josh Shapiro and his ads time in public service and his position in the issues.
Speaker 8: By elevating him to you know, the runner up here essentially.
Speaker 14: I mean, if it were this would truly a problem anti Semitism, she would have never put him in the top two. That's just a ridiculous assertion paying a boy Kamala Harris whose husband is Jewish, you know.
Speaker 8: And so this is just the far.
Speaker 14: Right again trying to bully people into doing certain things. They were trying to bully Kamala into making a decision the head of ahead of her making that decision. There's only one person who can make this decision. That's Kamala Harris. She's gonna make a lot of decisions between now and November and when she's elected president, when she takes the love of office in January. And again it is just more bullying from the far right and the Trump people. They are spiraling after their disastrous pick of Jade Vance as vice president.
Speaker 8: I've never seen a vice president.
Speaker 14: Vice president will roll out go so poorly, usually get a bump after convention, have a double digit decline and drop just showcases the American people don't want what Trump and Jadie Vans are serving.
Speaker 5: Well, there was also you talk about the bullying. There was a little bit of bullying inside of the party. I don't know, Brad what you were hearing, but you've got Sean Fame going on on Sunday morning talking about Joshapiro not friendly to union labor, he was in favor of vouchers, that a wrong education policy. John Fetterman out there saying he's too ambitious, He's going to try to primary in twenty twenty eight. The knives kind of came out for the governor, didn't they.
Speaker 8: Well, I would bully. I saw that a campaign.
Speaker 14: I mean, the reason why she did this process the way she did and presenting options for voters and Democrats across the country was so they could share their opinions and their voices. There were some concerns about, you know, Governor Walts, there's some concerns about no matter who you pick, that were some concerns.
Speaker 8: But the only qubilication that matters.
Speaker 14: Is this this person ready to be president should something happen to the president. And when you look at Governor Walts, he's a member of Congress, he's an Army National Guard. He was a teacher football coach, and it's very successful governor of Minnesota. And by the way US News a whole report ranks Minnesota is the fourth best state in the country to live. And so he's got he's got a strong resume. Josh Shapiro is a valued member of the Democratic Party. He will be on the ticket running on the Democratic ticket in Comonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 8: He's got a bright future head of him.
Speaker 14: But I think it just shows how much she valued what he brought to the table by making him, you know, bringing him into the top two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm guessing you want him to debate jd Vance. That's partly why she picked him, isn't that anything?
Speaker 8: Donald Trump?
Speaker 14: Trump is running scared from Kamala Harris, you know, to cancelor debate you would already agreed to and then demanded me on the super Friendly Audience by Fox News.
Speaker 8: Is hilarious to me. I just think it just shows the weakness.
Speaker 14: Of Donald Trump and that anytime he's genuinely challenged in any kind of substante way, he runs away from the fight. And Kamala Harris has shown every step of the way of her career, that she's ready for the fight.
Speaker 8: She's going to prosecute the case against Donald Trump. She's not going to couch her support for families. But you know, and and then that you saw that.
Speaker 14: She picked Tim wants to do so. So this is an election that I'm fired up about. I think Democrats have a great message and we've got a great pathway with victory in November.
Speaker 5: I know you're a fighter, a fighter, Brad Howard, but what is the impact what will be the impact of Minnesota nice on this campaign?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, there's been Western nice.
Speaker 14: I think we all know it can cut two ways. He with a smile that's very effective and sometimes even more brutal than you know, a direct attack straight to you. I've got a lot of friends within West. I'm familiar with it.
Speaker 8: I'm Southern. We we were kind of expert at that uh.
Speaker 14: And so I think what you'll see is a very effective, a very effective uh way of presenting the contrast with Jamie Vans and Donald Trump.
Speaker 8: And you know, I mean he's got a lot of credit.
Speaker 14: Recording the term weird, and it just is when you look at what they're trying to do, they're actually trying to take away freedoms from people and from families, the freedom of women to make the healthcare decisions, the freedom from families to raise their kids and support their kids in.
Speaker 8: The way that they feel is in the best way for their kids.
Speaker 14: To remove books out of libraries that they don't think kids should be reading. I mean, this is again, and you've got governor of Santa's in Florida bullying Diusney because they're not doing exactly what he wants them to do. Politically, you know, the Publican Party is no longer the party that supports you know, corporate America and.
Speaker 8: The free market system. They don't want a free market system.
Speaker 14: They want a heavy handed system that they control the morals and the values in the future decisions of these companies as long as the lines.
Speaker 8: With their political viewpoint. That's not the America we want to know.
Speaker 5: Man, we got Brad on a good day around here. This is excellent, all right. So if just lastly, last minute, if the Harris campaign is labeling the Trump camp weird, are they also saying that Tim Walls is normal? Is that the campaign weird versus normal?
Speaker 14: I think what they're saying is the ideas in the way in which they're talking about the issues of this campaign are weird, Like how does Hannibal and Shocking Sharks ever get into the rhetoric of the campaign?
Speaker 8: Trip and Jamie Vance yetting at.
Speaker 14: His son to shut out when he's on the phone, Why son's talking about pokemon? Like these are just weird things to be bringing up voluntarily. It's not like the Kamala Harris had an opera book and they pulled this out of it. They brought it up themselves. It's just very weird things. Like as a manager, I would tell my candidate like, don't alwa to say things that are going to pull attention away from your message and your policy. Can anyone tell me what the message and the policy was coming out of the R and C. No, it was just kind of a weird rambling speech from the nominee that went on for way too long and I think kind of ruined. Otherwise, was a pretty good convention, Joe, you and I were there. It was a long run comic convention. They were seamless and efficient and enthusiastic, and it just kind of ended on this weird note.
Speaker 8: And that's how they entered the general election. So you know, I just think that you look at Democrats, we were putting policy front and center.
Speaker 14: Kamala Harris every single speech is talking about reprotect her freedom. She was talking about letting you raise your kids the way you want to raise your is giving you things like make use your kids have food on the table for breakfast and much when they're at school, so that they don't you can't focus on learning if you're hungry, like little things. Giving kids the freedom to live their lives as kids, to learn and to have a bright future.
Speaker 8: That's put it's take in the selection.
Speaker 5: Never even got to the diet Mountain Dew, Brad, we just ran out of time. Get some bread's had a diet d It's great to see he's the founder of President Corporn Street Group. Brad Howard, Democratic strategist. Thanks for listening to the Balance of Power podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at noontime Eastern at Bloomberg dot com.