Speaker 1: Look at am I ready?
Speaker 2: Am I ready?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: This isn't a Sparks It's at least.
Speaker 2: I'm ready, because says led Zeppelin, I am ready.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like I called Jordan, I'm like, where's your Lakers jersey? He's obsessed with the Lakers. I'm like, he's like, I don't have one. I'm like, you don't have a Lakers jersey?
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 3: He's so obsessed with the team and doesn't have one. This, I'm like, this isn't even This is like a baseball.
Speaker 1: Jersey thing, right, don't well baseball, Yeah, it's like it's.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, anyway, I could believe it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I knew he wasn't gonna have a Sparks jersey, but at the same no, you never know.
Speaker 3: No, I knew he wouldn't have that, but you know, anyway, this is as ready as I could get. I was trying to get into some kind of costume.
Speaker 1: Well, I think back on my costume game. Season two is not getting the real Sabrina costume game.
Speaker 2: So hey, I didn't want to say anything. I wasn't going to bring it up.
Speaker 1: I mean, just a beanie for Ice Princess. It's just really not it it's not right.
Speaker 2: Why you were not in full ice princess regalia. I don't understand, but I'm not trying to hold it against you.
Speaker 1: I gotta think ahead a little bit more.
Speaker 2: I want several hours of makeup when we do the Zombies the next Zombies.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I wonder if I couldn't. I couldn't get The hard part is like it's fun at the beginning, but like I can't get through an entire episode with it.
Speaker 2: That's just yeah, I know, I get it, but it's also uh yeah, to dress up for today's you. What we were talking about is the possibility of just having somebody else slightly blonde sitting next to you but doesn't really look like you. But then you say you're twins? Could that work?
Speaker 1: I guess so.
Speaker 2: I guess it would have to. I think we would have to. Oh, welcome back to Magical Rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart. The Wave tsunamis in the high school's musical I'm WILFORDLL And I'm Sabrina Brian, I'm Home, Sabrina and I'm still sick, so I apologize that my voice sounds like this.
Speaker 1: It's better than last week. You do seem like you're a little bit better.
Speaker 2: I'm on the men, hopefully on the men, nuclear nuclear nuclear nuclear medication, so hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hitting everyone. This sign is going away. It's terrible, it's crazy, Okay.
Speaker 2: I was going to transition by saying speaking of awful, but I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to do that. I am, however, going to say drive the lane and look for the open layup because we're twinning this week with the two thousand and two biographical sports drama Double Teamed, which a movie about twins called Double Teamed. I thought it was going to be something compared.
Speaker 1: I know this.
Speaker 3: I have a good feeling this podcast is going to make me very uncomfortable the entire time.
Speaker 1: Is the only one you are.
Speaker 3: About to say, I know, I'm just gonna.
Speaker 2: I promise that is the only one.
Speaker 1: I'll make twins, two blonde twins to like.
Speaker 3: It's just it's gonna be. It's gonna be a doozy for me, but it's well, I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: I won't make any other I won't make any of the jokes, I promise, but I can't really promise promise that's true, though. We just keep hitting sports d coom after sports d com. We do have a rarity this week. It's based on a true story about athletes, which we haven't seen since well, going to the matt and gotta kick it up. Also, as I said, be careful when googling this movie, especially if you're around kids, because googling double teamed two blondes it could end up in a very bad place anyway. It debuted on the Disney Channel January eighteen, two thousand and two, and is based on two real life twin basketball players, Heidi and Heather Burge. At six foot five inches each, they were recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records in nineteen ninety one as the world's tallest twins. Both attended Palas Verdi's High School and were absolute athletics superstars, bringing championships to the school not only in basketball, but in soccer and for Team USA in the summers. They go on to attend the University of Virginia, leading the school to three Atlantic Coast Conference championships and three NCAA Final Four appearances. Heidi would go on to play in the WNBA for the Los Angeles Sparks and the Washington Mystics, while Heather spent one season on the Sacramento Monarchs, playing most of her professional career overseas. She also has a small cameo in the cinematic masterpiece Juwanna Mann, which seems like the real accomplishment here. And oddly, after college they were never able to play with or against each other again, but we will get into that later. After retirement, Heidi taught eighth grade Spanish at Mirror lest I believe it's pronounced Intermediate School, then created a Spanish pe curriculum that she continues to teach to four to fourteen year olds still in Palace Verdes. She also runs basketball camps, while Heidi went on to become a physical therapist inspired by a career ending back injury, and is also a youth basketball instructor in the Houston area.
Speaker 1: You're a basketball fan, right, I mean, how can you not be? Right now?
Speaker 3: It's March madness, and it's just my son has all of a sudden found basketball as being awesome. I've got basketballs all over my house right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, we just bought him his verse hoop because.
Speaker 3: He was playing. We could see him playing in like an area he could throw it and get the ball back. So literally I went on Amazon Boom got him a basketball hoop. He hasn't really stopped playing since.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Yeah, I'm actually you'll be able to see from the clips we will be showing that I am in my childhood home in Connecticut. I played basketball growing up, and I played because of my mom. My mom played in high school and she taught all of us boys how to play. So growing up, the University of Connecticut basketball teams, the men and women's were huge in our house, but mostly women's that we've been following forever and ever. They just got through the second round. I hope I didn't just jinx them. But we are big basketball fans again because of my mom. So this movie held a bit of a special place.
Speaker 3: My sister was an amazing basketball player in Really Yeah, she was awesome.
Speaker 2: And you danced see two athletes in the family. That's amazing. Yeah, it's true. Now this movie going back to that was filmed in the hotbed of the d coms. Yes, everybody, we are back in Salt Lake City, Utah, sharing a lot of the same production staff as dcoms like Go Figure, Read It and Weep and cow Bells, and with the tagline they're different from everyone else and they have the jump shots to prove it. You knew exactly what you were gonna get. Now. One of the film's biggest hurtles was obviously casting the world's tallest twins, So it got much easier when they decided to just pad the stars shoes and make them appear much larger than everyone else in the movie, which is what we saw in the final product. And also, obviously, as you can tell, they didn't cast real twins, so no more sisters type of thing was needed. It was just too difficult to find. So what did you think about the height difference? Did you notice that they were padded? Yeah, it's hard to represent six foot five. Also, did it also look like they cast like the extras around them looked like they were nine.
Speaker 3: That's one of the biggest things I said for Sabrina Ceas was just there was there's one at the very beginning when they get to their first new school and she runs into a kid and I'm like, that kid looks like two years older.
Speaker 1: Than Monroe.
Speaker 3: That kid is not, no, not a freshman in high school. I know that they look younger, but no, no, no, they went a little far sometimes with the casting of the extras.
Speaker 2: I agree with you one hundred percent. It was a little off putting to see these two girls who looked like they were in their late twenties with these kids who looked like they were eight or night. I absolutely did, Yes, you did.
Speaker 1: You thought they were too they cast it too old?
Speaker 2: Oh wait, and we'll get into that, okay, yes, yes they do. It threw me it absolutely really, Oh god.
Speaker 1: I you know what, I didn't think that at all. Really.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Now I get that it's hard to represent six foot five in a movie, but you can. It was. Yeah, that was sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was trying to find a fifteen year old that's going to be that hot, like that tall.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was tough. But anyway, because of the high concept, it's a very memorable dcom, but unfortunately not a big hit with the critics. Mark Sachs of the South Florida Sun Sentinel called it quote paint by numbers, unquote and full of sports cliches. But it did seem like everyone liked the ending and the idea of incorporating women's sports into the Disney mix. And also for everybody out there, this is not the nineteen ninety seven movie Double Team, though I would have loved that too, because that film stars Jean Claude van Dam, the Muscles from Brussels, and Dennis Rodman, which is a wonderful piece of bad cinema with a very similar name. It's a great movie if you've seen it, and by great, I'm awful.
Speaker 1: I was like, Jean Claude Vendam did a basketball.
Speaker 2: No, he does, no, of course not. It's like Sudden Sudden are a sudden death. That was a kind of a hockey movie, but not really.
Speaker 1: You imagine him in basketball shorts.
Speaker 2: Yes I can. He's the best actor in the history of Hollywood, So yes I can. You want to see Jean Claude Vandam and his first thing ever, go watch him as an extra in the big break dance off scene of Breakin', which is obviously the best movie ever. He's in a onesie in the middle of them as they're breaking and he's just dancing away. Jean Claude van Dam, the first time you ever see him on camera. Is No, he's just dancing along with him in the background. Oh, it's magic.
Speaker 1: I gotta find that. That's got to be on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, Oh my god. This movie also got some very new attention over the past few years thanks to Haley and Hannah Cavender I think their name is or Cavender, identical twins who became social media superstars as players on the University of Miami women's basketball team. They got a ton of endorsement deals and even had an iHeart podcast called twin Talk, and once they even posted their very own double team homage on Instagram. As per usual the well, we like to say as per usual, but sometimes not. But this movie is currently available on Disney Plus. You can watch it now or watch it later. You can get with this or you can get with that. The choice is yours. Get it, you can get with it anyway. I'm trying to be him now before this podcast came into your life, or as I like to say, before your life really started, Sabrina. I know you have kids and everything, but really there's pre magical rewind and there's post magical rewind. As we prepped for this episode, what did you know about Double Teamed. And extra credit for you. If you knew about Double Team was Jean Claude, Van Damn, Dennis Robin.
Speaker 3: I did not know about Double Team was Jode Claude, But I did know about this movie. This was really honestly the time where I was watching this.
Speaker 1: This is, you know, before I became.
Speaker 3: Part of the Disney family, And like, I remember the movie and being very stoked about it because this two thousand and two was literally very close to when the WNBA started, and I remember that being just a giant, giant thing and I actually got to be a part of it as a sparkan Oh cool it was. That was like in my wheelhouse, and I was super excited for this movie. So I definitely definitely tuned into this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah again, we always get to this part and I was going, I never heard of it. Actually had heard of this movie. I don't think I saw it, okay, but this was kind of like this was one that was the name was in the zeitgeist, like, oh, the Twins basketball Double Team, Like right, I'd heard of this movie before.
Speaker 3: Somehow, I think a big it happened at such a great time. It was so perfect for everything that was happening when the w NBA was developing, Like.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what it was. It was the whole synergy of everything going on.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was a big thing. It was because it was it was huge.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like we were getting a women's pro basketball whole organization that this was such a big thing. It was a big thing for girls. I grew up playing soccer, so it was it was big for to feel like we were getting you know, we were taking the next step. We were getting noticed as as athletes with you know, for girls, and it was it was really really really empowering for a lot of girls out there. So I guess it was a big one. That's really cool.
Speaker 2: And having having known women's basketball as well as I did, I remember that the WNBA because it was all people that I loved. That was Sue Bird and Rebecca Lobo and everybody. Going into the early two thousand, especially with the Yukon women, you had Diana t Rossi and some of the best players every so knowing that they were gonna have a Yeah, it was it was really really cool. It was all right, But let's not let dad down. Let's get right into the synopsis. Based on the true story of the real life basketball playing twin sisters who, despite their differences and some difficult challenges, navigate intense competition, family pressure, and personal struggles to ultimately bond and rise to success. Sabrina Early thoughts, What did you think of Double Team with Dennis Rodman and John Claude Van d I'm kidding, what did you think of Double Teamed?
Speaker 3: You know, I I'm telling you, I feel bad because I probably spent the first fifteen minutes of this movie trying to figure out if they were actually twins. Going no, like because the beginning picture, like when you go on Disney that picture, I'm like, those girls don't even really look like identical twins or not because it's based off of you know, it says based off of identical, and I'm like, they're not identical, And so then I'm like, wait, are they even I like, honestly, That's where I got the early thoughts was.
Speaker 2: So, what did you think of the movie? Did you like it or not?
Speaker 3: Why did because I was like, you're not even paying attention right now. I you know, I think this was a I liked the movie. I really loved what why it was being made? The time of the where we were in life at this time with like I said, beginning of the WNBA, the movie itself just there was I was kind of I felt like I was a pinball machine, going, Oh no, this is where we're going. Oh no, this is where we're going. Oh wait, this is this person's storyline. Oh this secondary character. Oh okay, this secondary I mean I felt like I was a pin ball for a long time trying to figure out where the movie was actually going and where we were trying to end up.
Speaker 1: So it was a little overstimulated.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, and again the twins kept bothering the twins.
Speaker 2: We'll put them in quotes, the twins.
Speaker 3: It'd be me crazy, a little twins, Yeah, yours, let's be honest, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Again. Important movie for the time, Great that it's based on a true story. Great for what it did for women's basketball. Not a great movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's really not feel like it's hard because we do not take breaks. We go a movie after movie and we are coming off of some heavy hitters.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. We've got We've had banger after banger, and this one felt like it was not in the same league as the lot of the movies we've watched recently. A lot of the sound mixing was off, some of the acting wasn't the best. Yes, some of that was. The basketball scenes are not good. I mean, it's just it's not a hugely strong movie.
Speaker 1: It isn't.
Speaker 3: And again, because of what this represents, it was a little disappointing for me to rewatch it. I don't I will say, back in two thousand and two, I don't remember it being a bad movie. So that kind of put it in perspective for me too, Like I don't remember thinking, oh, that was not great. I remember thinking that was awesome back in two thousand and two, right, Like being young, right, not having the expectations that I have now as an expert d coommer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right exactly? Which is which, frankly, is what you are at this point. I'm sorry, my zoom is getting weird. I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: It's like seven hundred episodes in. I'm gonna give myself the title, You've.
Speaker 2: Got no play. We are now becoming expert d commerce and this is.
Speaker 1: It's this was not a great news.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I know that. And we already have producers going, I'm disappointed in you. How can you say that? And I can say that because it's not a great movie. Why it just wasn't. I mean, again, you were first of all, you were one hundred percent right. We are coming off of some really great movies and kind of one after another. Ice Princess was really really good. We really like true confessions. I mean, there's several in a row that have just seemed higher quality than this. I understand. Also, in all fairness, we got to kind of put Ice Princess in a different category because it was a twenty five million dollar budget and they put it in the theater.
Speaker 1: I guess it's absolutely absolutely a different.
Speaker 2: I get that, But this felt kind of like not a great dcom movie anyway, you know what.
Speaker 1: It felt like. It seemed like a young dcom.
Speaker 3: It feels it felt like before they found their niche, before they'd found their stride.
Speaker 1: It seemed like more of a newer one. And I don't know why that would be, but yes, it just did.
Speaker 3: It felt again. And also, one of the things that we say so many times is how good the acting is and so many of the dcoms, and unfortunately this didn't have those I counter channel.
Speaker 2: I agree, and and it's a decent cast too. I mean, yeah, of course, but again, even the adult actors in this were doing what I would call Disney acting.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought of that that I put it in, and I feel like when we've had our interviews with some of the adult actors from other ones, when they talk about like they've made comments like Disney channels where you go to, like you.
Speaker 2: When your career dies, You've got a couple of people say that.
Speaker 3: This is why the because of the adult acting that happened in this one, because it's like it looks like you are playing two kids versus it being playing it real.
Speaker 2: Look at the adults and true confessions compared to the adults in this and these by the way, these are two good adult actors.
Speaker 1: Great adult I love them, and so many things.
Speaker 3: That's just kind of like they've played it towards the channel versus playing it towards how they would and it comes off different.
Speaker 2: I agree, one hundred percent. Anyway. The movie is directed by Dwayne Dunham, who we have spoken about before because he directed Halloween Town and the Thirteenth Year At the bar mits of a movie we liked, but He's best known as an Emmy winning editor for Twin Peaks and movies like Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, Blue Velvet, and Wild at Heart. I mean, just talk about three hours row incredible. So let's get to the cast playing the twins. First up is Poppy Monroe, who plays Heather. Poppy also appeared in the Last Dawn TV mini series, The Terminator three video game, and the movie Tiger Cruz. Her last credit is from two thousand and six, which was a CSI Miami and we're gonna talk about that in a second. She appears to be living very happily now in Houston, which just like the other twin who's teaching basketball in Houston. I thought that was kind of cool. Next up is Annie mcelawayane as Heidi. Annie also appeared on Say by the Bell, The New Class, Seventh, Heaven, Hangtime, and get this CSI Miami where she was in the same episode as Poppy. How did that happen? Who on the CSI staff choreographed a double team reunion? And you know they did? And he also left the business in two thousand and six and is a photographer living in Los Angeles. Yes, they were obviously fans CSI. Now, Okay, clearly they cut their hair to be the same and did some tricks to make them look alike. But we've talked about this. Do you think they pulled off being twins identical twins?
Speaker 1: Not identical, but yeah, I mean like twins.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I felt like they looked enough alike that they they would be like just you know, just regular twins, not identical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fraternal twins. Yeah. I guess the only other thing you can do is you is you the best ones dife. You do what they did with the Winklevoss characters in Social Network, where it's the same actor plays both parts. But I mean that would have for Disney Channel. That would have just been so unbelievably difficult.
Speaker 1: Here's a tidbit.
Speaker 3: They were thinking about doing that with Keeley for Cheetah Girls because Aqua, her character, actually has an identical twin in the book series, right, So they at one point were thinking about having Aqua's ca. But it's like then it's like how much money are we getting?
Speaker 2: That's the thing. So it's just it's very difficult to do. You had to kind of let that go. I thought it was fine, but that's also not the biggest problem with their casting. We'll get to that in a second. Anyway. Yeah, so I just you had to let that go. I was like, Okay, they're playing identical twins. They don't have one hundred million dollar budget. They've got a month to shoot this thing, or however long it was. This is what they had to go with. You've got Teal Redman, who plays Nicky Williams. Our listeners might know Teal from Gilmore Girls, where she played Luis Grant, one of Rory's classmates for thirty four episodes. I just said nine different names. I don't know. Nick Sears plays their father, Larry Burge. He is in a ton of stuff, most notably Unjustified as Art Bullin or from the Tom Hanks produced mini series From the Earth to the Moon, which is my favorite minute series of all time. He works with Tom Hanks a lot. He was also in Castaway. He also appeared in movies like Fried Green, Tomatoes, Nell, and The Shape of Water. He is this is what I was talking about about Disney acting, because Nick Sears is a legit good actor, insane.
Speaker 1: He's so good, he really is.
Speaker 2: We've got Joey Mayashima plays Coach Wendell. We saw him as a cop and Dad napped, a movie we all hope to soon forget. But he also plays principal Matt Suey in High School Musical, So he is another Disney legend. Love to get him on the pod, and we do have a Dabney Reynolds share in this one. Mary Burge, the mother of the twins, is played by Mackenzie Phillips. Mackenzie was Carol in the classic movie American Graffiti and Julie on the long running TV show One Day at a Time. Oh Great Show. Our listeners might know her from the Disney Channel series So Weird, but is also the daughter of singer songwriter John Phillips in real life and half sister of Bieshu Phillips and China Phillips, the latter from the band Wilson Phillips. I also said Phillips a whole bunch of times in a row right there, and a small fun cameo. Tammy Reese is the volleyball coach. She was a real teammate of the Berge Twins at the University of Virginia and when it comes to athletes, Sabrina, I'm gonna ask who is the best acting athlete ever. Here's I'm gonna throw out some ideas that you got the Rock Batista, Alex Grreris, Bob Ucker, Shack, Michael Jordan, Dan Marino, John Ceno. Who you got?
Speaker 1: He got the first one, right, the Rock? Oh, big fan, big.
Speaker 2: FD to what end?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: What do you hut? You up for? What?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Just to like go out to like dinner and hang out him and my dream dinner date would be him and who else?
Speaker 1: Do you think?
Speaker 2: I don't know who? Who are you?
Speaker 1: Katie?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Who? Oh my gosh, he's his best his best partner in crime.
Speaker 2: Oh oh is that? Oh you want Kevin Hart? Yes?
Speaker 3: Really, okay, the two of them, that would be like my dream dinner date.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: They are so funny, they are so I will watch them in anything they ever do, ever, ever, ever.
Speaker 2: First was the best movie of that year, by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh so good, so good.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree. I think it's the Rock and Double Teamed runs one hundred and five minutes. Boy oh boy, I don't even know what to do with that. It feels like just way too much overtime to me.
Speaker 1: It was so much, so long.
Speaker 2: Fifteen minutes Beyond the Bulls. I might as well have had a halftime break, as we know, one hundred and five minutes too long. Sorry people. And we have another familiar Decom tradition here, the writing credit is split. Douglas Penn is listed as story by and this was his only writing credit ever. And then we have John Werrick, who wrote the script. John was a TV writer on shows like Evening Shade, The Family Man, and wrote thirty three episodes of Step by Step. In addition to Double Teamed, he also wrote Too Legit, the mc hammer Story, and a few Christmas movies. It sounds like what we've seen a bunch of times before. A very green writer with an idea was paid by Disney, then paired with a writer that they trusted. We've seen that time and time again. Yeah, so that's undoubtedly what happened, and we mentioned this in passing last week. Double Teamed is often posted on TikTok for what many believe is the worst sports clip ever filmed and will clue you in, as if we're going to need to clue you in when not see him pops up? Okay, the shot clock is ticking. It's time to dribble, right, into double teamed. We open in a suburban neighborhood and a main character's bedroom. Yes, we've done it again. You love to see it. The room is filled with trophies and metals and knickknacks. Then boom, a new song starts and a blonde girl pops in a frame doing sit ups. She goes on to run in place and jump rope, making it shake downstairs, interrupting her mom's morning coffee. A nearby trophy. By the way, if there's trophies in her bedroom and in the kitchen, how many trophies do these girls have? It seems to be a ton And anyway, one of the downstairs trophies almost falls off the shelf is caught by her dad. He turns to his wife and points out, huh, right on time. Also, I don't know if you noticed this, but the dialogue is so low underneath any of all the music that I had to turn on the captions because I could not hear what the were saying the entire time because the music was so loud. Did you notice that at all? I did?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: It's it's right, I mean, it just was like why and I kept trying to like put my volume up. My dad, I'm figuring out what's going on with my TV. And yeah, it's actually the way this is.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was. It was badly mixed. It was very badly mixed. The dad yells volleyball practice starts in fifteen minutes, then kisses his wife goodbye. That blonde upstairs, who we learn is Heidi, throws on some biker shorts, a purple sweatshirt and sunglasses and makes her way downstairs. And then we see another blonde girl chilling at the fridge. This is Heather, her identical twin, wearing the exact same thing. Wait, what what they had heard? This happens a lot by accident, And I guess we're supposed to believe this happens in your life to twins, it must, right, you dress up, and I mean, this happens my wife and I all the time, where we'll come in and be like, why are we wearing the same time?
Speaker 1: I know, I know it does, but I'm not sure to my knowledge.
Speaker 3: I mean, if they buy the same thing, yes, but most twins don't buy the same outfits when they're like in high.
Speaker 2: School, right. I think they're also really visually trying to establish right off the bat, totally identical twins. You can tell by the shirt they're wearing because their face doesn't do it. So so yeah, it's like you can tell our twins look at our shorts. Yeah, it's what it's it. And then uh, they answer their mom's question in unison three times in a row. So they're showing that these twins are very magical. Basically, they're they're just trying to really twins throw it in your head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, they're the best thing ever. You know that I wish I was one. I wish I had had them. My sister stole my dream by having twins herself, that jerk.
Speaker 2: So your dream?
Speaker 1: Oh no, yes, I wanted twin kids. They're the best thing ever. They're so cool, a bestie for life, are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Maybe, or someone you're gonna hate for life. At least you double your wardrobe because you can fit into all of their clothes. But that's yeah. To me, twins is three kids too many. And then we're at volleyball practice in nineteen eighty five and Radondo Beach. We get some fun action shots and notice the twins are very competitive with each other. Their dad, Larry explains to another dad that he can tell his daughter's apart because Heidi is the one who gives him a migraine. You can probably also tell them apart because they're clearly two different actors.
Speaker 3: This is when I was like, hold on, pause. So they're trying to Yes, what is the problem with just saying they're twins.
Speaker 2: Because they're based on it's based on a true story of identity.
Speaker 3: I understand it's based on it, but the whole are you telling me that those real twins had a best friend named Nikki at the end of the day with like a crazy raft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, if you're gonna take it right, if you're going to take liberties, why not use that.
Speaker 3: One right exactly, Like, they're not exactly the same, but they're twins, so they're they're still this is that.
Speaker 2: Would have been That would have been a better way to do it. Yeah, raft, I love that. I love that. The guy's like, hey, how do you tell them apart? I want it to be like, well, because I look at different people, one of them six two in blonde and the other one's five four and brunette, I can tell them apart.
Speaker 3: I've had two sets of identical twins. On my team coaching. And at first, of course, like when they come to try out, so it's a freshman, Yeah, you're kind of going, oh, wait, I don't know which one is which. But then once you get to know them, it's like, there's obvious ways to give me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of my one of my best friends growing up is an identical twin. It took me about an hour to be like, oh, total, two entirely different people. That's just the way that it is.
Speaker 1: Their vice is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just different. But we also see that, uh so wait, now I'm having trouble telling them apart Heidi is not as good as Heather. We can see that. We've we've set this up now through the dad that Heidi is not as good as Heather, and he says it's a lack of motivation thing. The other dad mentions college scouts and scholarships, but Larry thinks it's a little early to worry about that, but is it. And that's when I was like, well, they're in They got to be juniors in high school, so yeah, you've got to start worrying about that. Oh, hold the phone, because that's not the case. The truth is, school's like San Diego State or Hawaii are already looking for their next stars. The other dad is surprised that Larry hasn't seen any of these scouts for their twins, but it's probably because they go to Coast Christian, a small private school without an official volleyball team, so they don't even plan on an academic level. The other dad suggests getting the girls into a school with a competitive team. It's the only way they'll be seen. Now, this clearly weighs on Larry's mind. Okay, fine, We cut to Heather and Heidi riding their bikes on the beach. Later, Heidi knows she's not as good as Heather and volleyball, but Heather chimes in she's not even sure that volleyball is what she's going to want to do when they enter high school. Okay, I don't want to swear, but what the are we supposed to believe that when we meet these two girls at the beginning, these two girls who are clearly in their mid to late twenties, are in the seventh or eighth grade. Really does that to me? I was like, you've got to be kidding me. We're supposed to believe these girls are in the eighth grade. This is where the casting insanity got to me, cause, first of all, Poppy was around twenty eight when she was in this movie Wow, and Annie was around twenty one. So imagine that that today would be Zendeia playing a thirteen year old.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: That to me where I was like, they're riding their little bike. They're riding their dual bikes with their little head things on because they're trying to make them look younger, and they're like, Oh, I can't wait to get to high school. I was like, what is happening right now? Are we supposed to believe this girl who looks like she could have kids is in the eighth grade?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That?
Speaker 3: See, I I don't Again I think I was like, I told you, I'm still in my what's happening with these twins situations? I don't think I was paying attention enough to understand. It took me forever to go, wait, what decade are they supposed to be in right now? Because their costuming didn't work for me at all to try to get them in like a certain decade of where they were.
Speaker 2: Trying to Oh, it didn't, it didn't smack.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't realize that we were in the eighties when they were doing this.
Speaker 1: I did it.
Speaker 3: So there was just like a like I said, I felt like my brain was kind of doing this pinball of like trying to figure.
Speaker 1: Out what we were doing here.
Speaker 3: And so I didn't even catch it. Took me a long time to go, Oh, they're supposed to be freshmen right now.
Speaker 2: Wow, they're supposed to be in the eighth grade when we met them. And to me, I'm looking at two actresses who are clearly in their twenties.
Speaker 3: I was going with that because again, we're trying to get the height thing. The height thing really makes it difficult to try to find two young kids that are that tall.
Speaker 2: Then cat then then have all the extras around them also look like they're twenty five, and then say everybody's.
Speaker 1: In there twenty five year olds, Like, you.
Speaker 2: Gotta do some. It was that I'm sorry. I was like, you've got I get this is a tough one for Disney because it's like, how do you cast to six foot tall or six because she says she's six feet in the movie, doesn't say six minutes like.
Speaker 1: That's not that tall as a girl. Of course it is, but it's not that tall.
Speaker 3: That's not like, oh they're so special, like a five eleven girl is tall. And trust me, I've gotten I've known a few of them along the way like that. I watch them and I see them kind of shrink down all the time when they're taking pictures. Sure, it is very awkward for them, but that's not.
Speaker 1: Like crazy tall where you see people go.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, this I get, I get. This was a tough one.
Speaker 3: For You need to just stick with the facts too, like we're six to five.
Speaker 2: Then start with them in high school. And the idea that these two girls, that these actresses are supposed to be twelve or thirteen years old is crazy anyway, It's true. We are back in the bikes because they aren't old enough to drive or anything else. Grown adult. Heather says. It must be hard always playing catch up with your sister in track, soccer, even piano lessons. She even kicked her button the delivery room boy. That seems like a real thing to say, because she wasn't even laughing when she said it. We are now back at home. Larry is barbecuing and talking to his wife Mary. Yes they are Larry and Mary. Since hearing about these scouts, he's already talking to local high school principles. He wants to move the girls to a new district. Mary is a little surprised and it feels rushed. There's more to life than volleyball. He says. This is not just about volleyball. It's about getting them into a good college. Mary then says something that truly should never be said about these two adult actresses. They're barely even teenagers.
Speaker 3: That this is the scene that I went, oh, wait, we're just entering high school. Now wait what hold the phone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighth grade. Eighth grade. Larry says, they're gifted and scholarships could go a long way. Again, I'm team Larry at this point, I get moving people is a lot to do. But if you are that tall and you've got a possibility of maybe paying for all of college with a ball in your hand, you do that. Yes, And that is when the Twins return. The girls sense they walked into an argument, so them in the Twins think it's time for the birds and the bees. Oh no, that's when Larry says he wants to make sure they take advantage of their athleticism and their height. So they're transferring to a new high school. He didn't even get his wife's permission. He just tells them, Ah the eighties. The girls are shocked. They are going to an athletically successful Palace Fores High. But the girls certainly aren't excited, especially the less skilled Heidi, who yells her dad and storms off. Now alone, Heather is also tearing up, but knows her dad is thinking about their future. This did not go well. Mary is amazed at how little Larry knows about his twins. Sabrina, are we calling it now? Do we have a yes? Dcom? Dad added, we got a triple date.
Speaker 3: It first started with this was like a small, tiny conversation with his wife, and within thirty seconds it's a done deal.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: To his kids. That pissed me off, so.
Speaker 3: You could we couldn't table this for a second. Talk to the kids, have welcomed them home.
Speaker 2: I mentioned it to you once.
Speaker 1: Like, gotta be kidding me, Larry, sit down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Larry's I think from now we just call it a triple d A dcom Dad, He's a triple ful d. I love it. It is the first day at Palace Verdes High. Heather gets into the car with her dad, Hide says goodbye to a neighbor friend who looks like she's going off to war. She swears they'll still hang on weekends, but no one's buying that. And this is when I was like, Okay, the kid she's talking to is twelve, and I'd be like, honey, why are you talking about adult Every day? When kids move away, they're basically dead to their friends. We know that is unfortunately true, but that's just the way it works. Also worth noting here, Heather sits in the front of the car, where real athletes sit. Heidi crams into the back, where the second best sits. We are now at Palace Verdes. We see expensive cars and hear surfery kind of music. The twin station wagon obviously stands out like a sore thumb. Larry drops off Heather and Heidi, who experienced a bit of a culture shock immediately, And I had a question for you here. I love cars, I always have, even though I don't actually own one right now. But I'm watching Ferraris and Porschas and all these cars of the day that these high school kids are driving. You went to a high school where there was some money, I think in oc right, so did you have friends driving like luxury sports cars to school.
Speaker 1: No, it was like ours was.
Speaker 3: You know, lots of girls had like brand new Jettas and Mustangs, the Ferraris. Fuck yeah, there are like a few, like you know, BMW's and things like that. The main thing was how much money parents would let the boys put into their trucks, like they've got they have like these lifted trucks and all that stuff. However, I coached at a private school not long ago, and that parking lot was filled with brand new Tesla's, brand new Maseratis.
Speaker 1: Like just these cars where you're like, your kids.
Speaker 3: Are gonna you're setting them up sure bad like accidents with these like sports cars. You know. I had a Mustang, but my parents wouldn't let me get the like the Mustang like GT, like the higher.
Speaker 2: Like your first car was a Mustang, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The convertible Musting, not like an old Mustang, like a convertible Mustang.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Get you were one of those You were one of those people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I didn't get the like GT. Like my dad was like, no, you're got's your problem.
Speaker 2: You weren't allowed to have the GT convertible.
Speaker 1: That's the problem. It was.
Speaker 3: It was It was of course a mind of a sixteen year old. Yeah, I wanted the like cool hot sports car. But my dad was like, no, I will get you this car, but like reasonable, I'm not going to get you the fast thing to let you go ninety miles an hour on a street.
Speaker 1: Like you know.
Speaker 3: It was still super nice and I did appreciate it. It was just that was like a you know that that's a real thing. Understand what a GT was. I just wanted it because it was cool. Nothing that's so dumb.
Speaker 1: That's a real name about it.
Speaker 2: My first car is in nineteen eighty six Toyota Celica, and I still have it.
Speaker 3: Jordan had Jordan had a car it was It was a Lexus, but it was his mom's old one and every time it turned on, like like the Zautly it looked like that kid in the Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the Steko.
Speaker 1: Yes, we turned it on. It makes me laugh. So are just visualizing that is what my.
Speaker 2: First car should do. That is exactly what your first car exactly.
Speaker 3: That's honestly what I want for my kids. I want It's just good because then when you get a nice car, you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I agree, I just the Ferraris were amazing anyway. Inside inside now the girls try to decide between taking Italian or Spanish, and a group of cheerleaders insult them for being so tall, and they are very tall, just sticking out like sore thumbs. But later Heidi is impressed with the amount of classes and clubs available that they can now take. It's insane how much taller they are in they're class mates who are just staring and for viewers, they look so old compared to I can't they could have been teachers in this school. I mean, I'm sorry, I cannot get over just I get the castings difficult, but man, and they also cast everybody to look so much younger than them around them that it looked like they were these adults walking through the hall of a elementary school. It was very off put.
Speaker 3: It's they stuck out so bad, and they were supposed to. But I don't think that, not that much.
Speaker 2: But still, Heidi's excited about all the things she can do. Leading up to the start of volleyball season, Heather just wants to work out, but Heidi clearly wants a social life and tells her sister not to have a cow. Very eighties. Now separating from her sister, Heidi helps a girl named Zoe try to hang up a drama club banner in the hall, you know, because she's tall. Zoe is the president of the club, so Hidi reveals she's always wanted to act, so she signs up there right on the spot. In the gym, Heather wants to practice volleyball, but because but causes a scene since towering over everyone as a new kid, so instead of dealing with that attention, she wheels away the volleyballs to go and play somewhere else, and so we enter a nearby girls basketball practice. They are a very good outside of one player named Nikki who can ball, and the coach, Wendell, is letting them have it. And just when he looks up to God for a little bit of help, in walks Heather looking for some alone time. Wendell and the entire team realize she is the size of a skyscraper and a twin, and he believes his prayers have been answered. Heather swears she's just a volleyball player, but he ends up convincing her to think about joining the team. Back at home, Heidi is obnoxiously gossiping on the phone and excited about a party on Friday night, all while her friends and family wait for her at the dinner table. Her dad threatens to cut the phone lines if she doesn't hang up, so she eventually pulls up a chair. School is going great, but the parents still need to find a place to live. The principal gave them two weeks, but Larry is convinced they'll have some leeway. The girls just need to keep a low profile, which is obviously impossible when you're the height of a tree and you look like you're thirty years old. Heather reveals she met the basketball coach and is thinking of trying out. Her dad instantly loves this idea, mostly just to tune up for volleyball, and suggests that maybe Heidi try it too. What's it like do you deal with involved parents, with parents that are like, my kid's gonna do this, my kid's gonna do that. I'm you know, why are you doing this? Why are you coaching them like that? When you're coaching your kids?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yes, oh every time. Choreography happens every year, every year, Even though it's like my kid's a senior. Why isn't she in front?
Speaker 1: You know why? And it's like it has nothing to do with.
Speaker 2: How your kids sucks. Why there's a reason she's in the back.
Speaker 3: With the routines evolved, they if even if they start in the front, you know, formation, changes happen. And yes, parents, they just can't help themselves. They want the best thing for their kids. They do, and I don't. I don't think it comes off like it shouldn't come off maliciously. I just think it sometimes they they just can't help themselves, get it. I just pray that's not how I end up. Every time it happens to me, I'm like, God, please remind me of this moment. I do not want to be this parent.
Speaker 2: I'll make sure. I'll just keep texting like, don't do.
Speaker 1: That, don't do that, cool, don't do that.
Speaker 2: She says that she can't play basketball. She's trying out for the musical Wizard of Oz. Her mom loves that, but her dad, the Triple D, not so much. And the next day Heather has joined basketball practice and she's draining jumper after jumper. The team is impressed, but not that one girl, Nicky, She tells Heather that this is her team, so don't step out of line.
Speaker 3: OOO.
Speaker 2: We also meet Madison, who seems like a much cooler teammate. Over at the Wizard of Oz audition. Heidi is the ten man running lines of the dudes stand in for Dorothy, but it's just not working. And then we're back at basketball. Nicky hip checks Heather and speeds past her to the basket. Nicky is already trash talking, and then she does it two more times. Not a great start for a new basketball recruit. And back in the auditorium, it looks like Heidi got the part. She celebrates with Zoe, who will see her tonight at the big party. So things are looking up for the more social sister too. It's like, okay, they both found their little spots there in the school. Heather continues to get school to basketball, though, until she eventually wakes up and swats Nicky shot like a vintage to Kembe Matumbo the old finger wag. Maybe don't count her out yet. Later that night, it is officially party time and Heidie's dad is dropping her off around the corner in the family station wagon. The house is huge. The point where the dad pulls up and he's like, is this a hotel and packed with partygoers? Zoe meets her at the door, and Heidi pretends she was driven in by a chauffeur. Ah another famous trope. There's an outdoor pool with hot guys and trays of food and label list Perrier bottles. Zoe introduces Heidi to the basketball Nicki, who actually lives in the mansion, but Nicky assumes she already knows this giant. It's her new teammate Heather, but Heidi explained she's actually Heather's twin and continues to pretend she's rich. So, okay, we're not gonna harpen the casting. I was gonna say, did they have to keep saying like, oh, I thought she's on my team, Like, it's obviously a different person. So it's like, how are you confusing her? It's obviously a different.
Speaker 3: But this is where they're still trying to play off the fact that their ident twins.
Speaker 2: I know what I'm saying. If you cast two different people, don't keep playing off the fact they're identical twins. When it's like, hey, we have met, she's on my team. No, this is clearly a different human being.
Speaker 5: Yes, and so he could have done it. They just didn't just cut that line. Just cut that line anyway. Heidi explains she's Heather's twin, and she continues to pretend she's rich. She doesn't chill Nikki out at all, and she presses Heidi for where she lives, forcing Heidi to make up a quote ocean front address.
Speaker 2: On quote. We cut back home after the party, where Heather is asking why Heidi would have ever lied. Heidi blames nerves. She wants these kids to like her, but now Heather is nervous and mad. They're hardly laying low like their dad asked. The next day, in the basketball gym, reporters hounding a foxy boys basketball star named Galen Alderman about his college decision. He keeps spinning the ball on his finger, which is all the basketball we really get to see him play. Heather in the middle of her own basketball practice and notices him and is jokingly called out for drooling by her new friend Madison. But it's not just all hot dudes and drool. Nicki confronts Heather about the fake address or sister gave her at the party. It's a Winchules, which is a donut chop. Heather tries to cover, but Nicky knows and she's onto something. After school, Heidi and Zoe are getting into some dude's yellow convertible when Heather calls over to her sister. Heidi explains she is on her way to some boat crews around the harbor, but Heather is going to stay late and shoot free throws. Heather admits she misses her old friends and it feels weird for the Twins to be doing different things now, but Heidi likes finally having her own identity and takes off for the boat. Back at the Twins house, Larry has set up a whoop and goes one on one with Heidi. Returning from that awesome boat trip, he holds his own over a techno like dance song that just says go Go Go, over and over again. Yike's creating a massive panic attack for anyone watching, myself included. Now, out of breath, Larry tells her that there's been a change of plans. He's promised Heather's basketball coach that she'll also be joining the team this dad.
Speaker 1: And just making decisions for everywhere, like.
Speaker 3: Just God, Larry, Damn Larry, Larry cripple dam Larry.
Speaker 2: Heidi is rightfully mad that he didn't ask her, considering she's already in the play, but he says her future is in sports, and she angrily darts off like she's already in the play. She slams the door after passing Heather, who is writing her number thirty on a white high tops, something that literally no basketball player has ever done in the history of the world. Heidi assumes it was Heather's idea to force her on the team and back into her shadow, but we all know that's not the case, but of course she doesn't, and so the next day, Heidi has no choice but to quit the musical. So I think I was like, Oh, she's gonna go and say no, I'm gonna do both. I'm gonna do that. No ask to quit the musical. Zoe is bummed. Who will be the new tin Man? A question that feels like it's from a completely different movie, but anyway, the Twin Towers an hour officially together on the Palace Verdes High basketball team reunited in the gym for practice, Heather still swearing it was their dad's idea and Heidi not believing her, so they take their grievances out on each other during a scrimmage. Later, back at Nikki's big mansion, her dad is leaving in a limo. She reminds him about the game today and he says he'll try to make it, but it's obvious he will not in fact be there. The bully is neglected, a returning trope we've seen quite a few times on this podcast. You can see why she gets mean because her dad is a dragillionaire. He doesn't have anything to do with her. Now, the big first intro squad scrimmage, which is for some reason packed with fans. I thought about this. They they saved it a little bit with a line because he says this is like a tradition. So apparently like they two squads face off against each other to see who's gonna make the team, and they do it in front of the whole school, because not making a team isn't hard enough. You want to have the entire school watch you, right, make the team. Yeah, so yeah, for some reason, it's packed. I don't think you could pay people to go to one of these in real life, but apparently they did back in Palace Verdes in the day.
Speaker 3: Well, we do we do a thing called musting Madness where the teams they scrimmage each other and it's like a fundraiser type thing for their program.
Speaker 2: So do they then kick kids off the team afterwards?
Speaker 1: No, it's not a tryout. I thought about it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I couldn't imagine if musting madness was like actually the final tryout that these kids had.
Speaker 2: Awful.
Speaker 3: But back in the day, to make a like a cheer team or a dance team, you had to perform in front of your student body, people voted. You had to get a certain amount of signatures from your student body. Oh yeah, wild that they made these kids do all this stuff and then some just didn't make it.
Speaker 1: Because they didn't get enough signatures.
Speaker 2: That's just crazy. It is high school's like Lord of the Flies. It is the worst.
Speaker 1: Oh so bad.
Speaker 2: Oh Niki notices that her dad didn't make it, big shocker, and the game begins. We get a montage of fast paced warm ups and an announcer in a full band, even though again this is a preseason scrimmage between the teams. The Twins kick the game off and opposing teams and Heather immediately scores than Heidi than Heather, then Heidi from three, than Heather in the post. They have not missed a shot yet, and this continues basket after basket. You would assume they're both on paced to break Well. Chamberlain's hundred point game record, by the way, that was done by ryl.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: He's a big basketball player. Her brother U Reggie Miller Cheryl Miller. Cheryl Miller in high school broke a hundred points, the first woman to do it. Yep, she had one hundred and five points. Anyway, we also see the twins' parents in the bleachers and a very impressed hot Galen Alderman in the stands. Also worth noting in the movies there are the Palace Forride Sea Kings, which is the real name for the Palace Farrides Highst Sports team, so they kept it. Now. Nicky the former star guard already she's jealous. She ignores an open Heather and drains a jumper, infuriating coach Wendell, who pulls her out of the game. The twins continue to trashchalck each other and make every single basket they attempt. They might just be the greatest athletes to ever lace up their sneakers. They haven't missed a single shot. Then, with seconds left and down two points, Hide attempts a three pointer for the win, but it's dominantly blocked by her sister. Game over, heather squad wins. The crowd goes wild, except for Nicky, who looks like she may kill everyone on the team. The twins parents hug their daughters, congratulate Heather, and cansole Heidi, and that's our first game. Okay, great, Oh, they can only get better from here, can they? Nope. That next day, Nicki, still spurned by the new transfer, sneaks into the principal's office and leaves a confidential letter on his desk. She's dressed like she's gonna play tennis, but it appears she's trying to get the Twins in trouble. She leaves the scene of the crime and enters right into a Pepperrelli for the girls team, which sure is a very spirited affair for a sport the school has never been good at either way. The players are introduced, we notice that Heather gets an almost standing ovation for being one of the best players in the school's history, and Heidi gets kind of a clap at best. But the rivalry is continuing. Now we're in Principal Jensen's office, a character obviously named after our producer Larry, is asking for one more week. It's confirmed that the snake Nicki did in fact alert the school of the housing situation. Principal Jensen originally gave them two weeks to move and Larry ignored them, so now he's recommending they returned to their district school. Immediately, Larry apologizes, he admits he blew it, but begs one last time, just let them stay, And just like that, Principal Jensen agrees, find a house before the Christmas break and they can stay. And I was thinking to myself, that's probably actually what would happen if you've got two badass basketball players that can make your program better. They'd be like, yeah, we'll give you a little extra time. And then we cut to the Burgers moving. Their cute suburban house is up for sale, and the twins give it one last sad look as they pull away. Man, that was fast. These are nineteen eighty five realtors, moving very quickly. The family makes their way to the new house inside a complex called Sandy Shores. It doesn't look very nice. Their dad asks them to give it a chance, but the apartment looks tiny and it is a major downgrade for the girls. Later, while unpacking, Larry and Mary talk it out. The girls won't even talk to their dad, but he says this is all they can afford in the area. Mary tells her husband he needs to do something about this and to stop thinking of their future as a coach. Just be their father. Good advice. The twins are at the community park, sulking, how do you apologize for lying to Nikki and thinking her sister made her join the basketball team. She knows it was their dad. Heather says they might fight sometimes with their still sisters and best friends. They decide then to play a little one on one, once again, not missing a single shot. These girls are better than Angel Reese, and Heather debuts her signature move, the Heather Shuffle, which appears to be a bunch of fake out steps and pivots. It's hardly impressive. It's very weird anyway. The next day at school, Nicki tries to intimidate the twins of practice, even after they announce they've moved closer to the school. Their teammates say it was never about the money. The problem is they lied to them. Then practice starts and the whole team isn't passing to the twins. Nicky is taken over and it's becomeing Heather and Heidi versus everyone else. Coach Wendell is furious again and in the locker room he lets them have it. He's mad, yet the girls are still yet to miss a shot. He's basically coaching the nineteen ninety five ninety six Chicago Bulls. Wendell says he's inclined to tear up his invitation he got for a big tournament in New York, and the girls then freak out. They want to go to New York. They swell to learn how to play like a team, but they learn they need to pay their own way, which is easy for Nicky but might be a problem for the twins. We cut to Heather and Heidi cleaning boats. They found a way to raise money for the trip, but they're still short and their dad won't give them any money. So they do what every duo of jay gigantic twins would do. They bust at the local city center. We see jugglers and drummers and men on stilts, so palis Vernes is apparently the entertainment capital of California. Then we see the girls poorly tap dancing on the steps asking for money. I have to imagine. Okay, as I was watching this, I was just thinking to myself, this has to be real, Like the only reason to put this in there is because maybe this happened, because who would write that if it didn't?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I hated it, of course it was ridiculous, but it must have actually happened, because who would just come up with that or we're gonna have them with a hat badly dancing on a street corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so weird. It was so weird.
Speaker 2: It was so weird.
Speaker 1: If that really happened to these poor girls, I feel so bad.
Speaker 2: It had to have in my head. I'm like, this had to have really happened, because they would get them.
Speaker 1: On the podcast just to ask them that one.
Speaker 2: If that was I'll bet you my guess is that's real, because who would just put that in a show?
Speaker 1: It's I know, but it was. It was weird.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally done terribly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was not tapping.
Speaker 3: They were just basically it was like watching what Monroe thinks is tapping.
Speaker 2: I bet you Monroe is better than that would have made more money. We are suddenly at Lax. It is the big New York trip. The girls have raised enough money with their terrible dancing for coach tickets, while Nikki and Madison have first class. Next thing you know, we were at the championship tournament game and possibly the most dimly lit jim ever. It looks like the final scene in a horror movie. It should have just been candles lit in the corner. I can't believe the girls can even see the ball. And it's even more shocking how they quickly jump into the tournament's final game right.
Speaker 3: There was no lapse time and listen, we're already at one hundred and five.
Speaker 1: I don't need any more. Don't give. Don't you dare throw a montage?
Speaker 2: I know, but the team was need it.
Speaker 1: We kind of needed it.
Speaker 2: That was so weird. The team was fighting, they didn't want to talk. Then they were going to want to go.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, I was thinking we were at the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: I hit a button. I sat on the remote and hit a button.
Speaker 3: Is this that.
Speaker 1: At the end of a tournament?
Speaker 2: Real found so strange. So there's the tournament's final game, Palas Ernies is down by two with fifteen seconds left. Heather steals the ball and hits a three. They're up by one and they start celebrating like they won, but the other team quickly inbounds, heaving across the court and miraculously scores a layup at the buzzer. Eh, Palette, that was my buzzer. Palas Verdes actually lost because they were celebrating a win too early. Their opponents, Saint Lazarus Academy, are the champions. Coach Wendell tells his girls to keep their chins up. They won a lot of games that week and should be proud of themselves, especially because, for the first time in tournament history, the MVP is on the losing team. It's Heather, and Heidi does not look thrilled about that. That night, though Heidi does look ecstatic. Walking on Broadway theatrical lights, she notices people leaving The Nutcracker, a musical she wishes she could be a part of, and guess who's yelling her name. It's the Drama Club president Zoe. She spends her Christmas break in New York seeing shows and suggests a summer drama camp for Heidi, adding insult to injury since she is now an involuntary basketball player for the rest of her life.
Speaker 1: Also, we're in a Hallmark movie. Now, now we're at a Christmas.
Speaker 2: It's like, is she going to dance the Nutcracker while busking on the street? What's going on?
Speaker 1: My brain was like, bid, I don't, don't we know what.
Speaker 2: I know? It was very difficult to follow. The team lands back in la on Christmas and are welcome by their families, Yet poor Nikki just walks by no one to greet her except a limo driver. On Christmas. As she sulks, the Twins try to talk to her and get the cold shoulder until she admits that her dad is in Chicago. Another Christmas ruined Nicki also apologizes she knows that she's been riding the Twins too hard and went crazy when she wasn't the star of the team anymore. Heather and Heidi inviter her over for Christmas dinner with their family, and she accepts, even sharing her limo. That night, Nicky and the Twins celebrate by eating Larry's weird bacon, bean and cheese sandwiches I try one, and shooting hoops at one am. It's all water under the bridge. Now, wouldn't you come on? Bacon, good bean, good geeze, good bread. Love it it's called it's called the triple D sandwich. It's the decon Dad sandwich.
Speaker 1: It's getting worse.
Speaker 2: It is getting worse. What is not is the sandwich. It's getting better. Outside of the court, Nicki tells them how lucky they are to have their loving family. She barely knows her dad at all, and that's when the dream boat Galen Alderman walks up. Gotta love that name. You have to say it like that, Galen Alderman. He lives there in the complex too, and is jokingly annoyed by them shooting at one am. By the way, they still haven't missed a basket in the entire movie. That's not true, there one or two, but it's they pretty much make it every time they shoot. The girls openly flirt with him like a piece of meat. While he says he's seen their games and they don't play like a team. He offers some pointers, including comparing Nicky to Magic Johnson and focusing on the girls. Twin intuition, they play three on one and you'll be shocked to hear no one ever misses, but they keep like just wanting to be touched by Galen and put me over here, Yala, move me over there, Yalen.
Speaker 3: A comfortable scene I think I've ever watched in a d com.
Speaker 2: Producer Makaela love this movie. I think this is her favorite scene. I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: She's like getting on heavy about it.
Speaker 3: She has to Mikayla, don't even come at.
Speaker 5: Mean, crazy girl, I knowing like all weird during this scene.
Speaker 3: You had to have been because it was so uncomfortable, like, oh yeah, I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: Gaylan, should I should I be over here? Galan? Where am I supposed to stand? Gallant? Oh? Sho me again?
Speaker 1: Galen? Touch me again? Galic? Oh where? Oh?
Speaker 2: It was creepy. They should just cut back to them dancing on the street. We cutting out of the girl's next game, where Pallas Ernies is finally playing like a United squad. They all play at a pace where a final score would be around two hundred and fifty to two hundred and thirty five. But with your seconds left, the Sea Kings are down by two. Nikki dribbles up cour she passes to Heidi, who turns and shoots and you won't believe this. She misses. We have our first Palis Ferti's miss of the entire movie, one hour and seven minutes in. But before you assume realism, Heidi grabs her own rebound and puts it back in, tying the game with just two seconds left. The opposing team calls a timeout, but the coach won'ts stop arguing with the ref, which in a tie game is just an unreal and terrible move. The ref calls a technical foul on her, putting palas Forti's on the free throw line to win, and instead of Heather, the coach decides Heidi should take the shots and then just hold onto the ball once it's inbounded, not involving. Heather even confuses Larry, who runs down to the court to argue with the coach's decision, telling him not to blow this yikes, but the coach insists that Heidi has the hot hand, then tells Larry to go back to the bleachers and cool down with his hot head. Yeah, sit the down, Larry.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 2: The coach is chatting for Heidi, who feels the pressure as she gets the ball. Nikki gives her words of encouragement and she shoots and misses. We have two misses. This movie has such change, it's changed all of a sudden. But she does make the second shot, so palas Fardi is up by one. The Sea King's inbound and run out. The clock just just is drawn up by the coach. They are going to the finals. Larry and Mary celebrate Heidi, then Heather. It's a big win for both sisters, but Heather now looks hurt by their dad's new interest in Heidi. What he has two kids. Later that night, Heather and hot ass Galen are playing one on one late into the night. Heather seems unhinged. They've been practicing for two hours and Galen wants to call it at night, but she's not hearing it. She's got mamba mentality, say there's your mamba. But while driving to the basket again, she lands at her ankle wrong and falls to the ground in massive pain. This is right after he told her she was gonna hurt herself. Mary was doing laundry nearby and runs over to help. It's already swelling. They carry her upstairs and she cries about how the scouts will be up the game tomorrow. And her dad is going to be really mad. That's the first thing she thinks. His dad is going to be mad. And if that's the first thing that goes through your head as the dad, maybe you think something's wrong with me. If the first thing my kid's gonna think is I'm gonna be mad at her because she hurt herself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Heather is now upstairs, icing her ankle in bed and talking to her mom. She says it's not fair. Basketball is supposed to be her thing, and maybe Heidi is a better player. Her mom says, there will always be someone better than her. Nice she had a rival like that when she was a swimming star. It's not always about winning or being better or living up to their dad's expectations. You should play because you love it. Heather asks her mom. If you love swimming so much, then why did you stop? And she says, because I'm forty five years old with two kids. What am I gonna be a professional swimmer? I'm kidding. She didn't say that at all, She says, because she found something she loved more being a mom.
Speaker 1: It was I loved that, lie, it.
Speaker 2: Was it was a very nice moment. Yep. And that was a decent scene. It is now. It was It was a decent scene. It is now. The final game. It's the Palasforni Sea Kings versus the Bixby Coach Panthers in a big, long beach arena. Everyone's family is there except Nicki's dad. Obviously, Heather is on crutches and will not play, but we do see a handful of scouts and attendance, and then the game begins. Heidi wins the jump ball and starts dominating with three quick baskets and a block shot, but then they quickly decide to double team Heidi and we see our first Sea King turnover. Ever, one hour and seventeen minutes in, Bixby goes on a big run, now leading by fourteen even Galen. Galen is fed up in the stands. We also know Mary is weirdly alone there. The coach tells the girls they need to step up. Heidi can't get open. Then Larry finally arrives at the game, accompanied by someone they assume is a scout, but then Nicky reveals it's her dad. He smiles and waves and Nicky can't believe her eyes. This is the first day he's actually met his daughter. I'm kidding, just seeing if you're all still with me. This puts a fire under Nicki. She scores an easy layup, then causes a turnover and scores two more quick baskets. We get a montage with the Sea Kings coming back. It is a full team effort over some sped up R and B. They tied it up before both teams start trading baskets and we're back to no one missing it all but Pallas Vernes is down by four. Then on a breakaway, Nicki scores a layup, but is fouled hard and slams into the basket. She's hurt, her left arm is numb, but she decides to stay in and take the foul shot. While Heather leaves the gym, she asks the coach to stall for her. Coach Wendall writes play make the shot, force a turnover, then call a quick timeout. Nikki eventually fights through the pain and makes the foul shot, so the Sea Kings are now down by one. Then again exactly is drawn up. Madison steals the ball and they quickly call a timeout. This coach is maybe the greatest play caller in the history of sports. Back on the bench. With just seven seconds left, there's enough time for one final play. The team huddles up for a strategy, but then we see Heather in uniform. She's ditched the crutches and is limping into the gym. The entire arena goes silent. Then we get oh Sabrina, We get a slow clap. I do love a good ninety even though it's two ninepening because it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make any sense, it doesn't make.
Speaker 2: Any none whatsoever.
Speaker 3: But I remember when Will ask me, have you did you ever get a chance to do a slow cup?
Speaker 1: And I said no. One he goes, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't need it. No, I'd like to get a slow clap, but Heather got one. Heather tells the coach Yather got one, and she tells her coach that everyone knows the ball is going to Heidi. Defenders will be all over her, so put her in the game. The coach says that's a good idea. It's not, but anyway, She points out that she can't even walk. But Heather doesn't want to shoot. She'll be the decoy to confuse some defenders, and so then coach Wendell draws up the play, which somehow still might involve Heather taking the shot, which she just said she can't do. Okay, but she's got to do something because she just got a slow club. The Sea Kings walk back out of the court as the opposing coach tells his team to focus on Heidi and ignore Heather, who is grunting with every step because again she can't walk. So here we go. The ball is inbounded to Nikki, who finds Heather wide open. She looks for Heidi or really any other open player, but everyone is jammed up by a defender. Heather realizes what she must do. She looks to the basket, then the clock six seconds left. Heidie is screaming for her sister to shoot it. It's in slow mo. She starts to pivot her legs. It is that stupid Heather strut. I'm sorry, And here's the scene that goes viral all the time, because first of all says it takes ninety seven seconds to play the last six seconds of the thing. She pivots back and forth over and over with no one covering her. The crowd thinks that she's having a seizure because that's what it looks like. She's eventually picked up by a girl on the other team, and Heather dribbles past her. She gets the key. Now double teams, so she behinds the back pass to her sister, who knew she'd be there first. Of all, the first thing you notice is the person who throws the ball behind her back is clearly not the actress. It is somebody so different that it wasn't even close. No, that's the fun part. But it's the intuition mentioned once before in the movie. Heidi barely catches the ball and shoots at the buzzer, and it is good. Palace Verdes wins. They are the new champions. Go watch this scene. It is ridiculous. It is weird. It's just somebody else throwing the balls. She's moving her feet back and forth, which, if you pick up your pivot foot, is actually traveling. I mean, there's so much wrong with this, so much wrong with this. It's great.
Speaker 3: I don't try to ever think that I really know much about basketball, but I was like, I think that's traveling.
Speaker 1: It was traveling.
Speaker 2: It absolutely was she It's the whole thing.
Speaker 1: We missed the bullseye guess.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this was God missed the bulls eye. Litt bet, Lit'll bet. After celebrating, Larry and Mary congratulate their daughters in the locker room. Even Nicky embraces her father, finally sharing an emotional moment, and Larry apologizes to Heather and Heidi. He knows he put too much pressure on Heather and he shouldn't have forced Heidi to play. While the twins admit that it was wrong to do that, they're very glad that he did. They hug one more time, and coach Wendell asked Larry who he thinks the money player now is? He lasts and says he has two money players, then apologizes for being a hothead. The coach accepts his apology, but makes him promise not to move until they graduate and suggest some summer ball. He reveals, you know, there's a talk of a women's professional league forming soon. Boom. Larry can't believe it a pro league. This could be big news for his twins. The girls bring him back down to earth, and he acknowledges there's plenty of time to think about the future, especially since Heidi already has summer plans drama camp. Hey, all right, so it gets to do what she wants. The family walks out, and then we're transported to the future that pro league did form. It's the WNBA. We see Heather walk onto the court now in a Sparks jersey. Then Heidi walks out for the opposing Monarchs. The twins are about to square off in a professional game, which we know never happened in real life, and then they give each other possibly the worst fist bump ever recorded in the history of movies. Did you notice the example of the opposite of twin intuition? Because it's like, how do we not even know how to? Anyway? We also see Larry and Mary in Attendants, proud as they could be. The sisters talk trash like the good old days and get ready for the jump ball. We freeze on their jumps and get some details about their career. Heidi and Heather got full basketball scholarships and played together at the University of Virginia. They were both signed to the WNBA for contracts at some point, and that is our movie. Who that was a journey? Can we do some real reviews? Sabrina, I think you have the five star this week?
Speaker 3: I do I've got a five star from Sixer Girl ninety one. I love basketball, so I don't know why I would like this movie. But even if you don't like basketball, check this movie out. Although it looks like this movie is only about basketball, the plot is much much more than basketball.
Speaker 2: Oh they said basketball an awful lot in that five star review, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: It's a sixer Girl, so I'm assuming for the.
Speaker 2: Sixers somebody who likes basketball already we have our I have the one what that? What was that sound? Do that again?
Speaker 1: It's one day. Play at the game all the time.
Speaker 2: Remember, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Have you not been to a basketball game? Somebody?
Speaker 2: Come on, I've never been, never been to a Lakers No, no, no, you're doing the Airhornparently, everybody's producer, Sabrina's doing the airhorn. I love it. Yikes. Oh okay, uh. I have the one star review this week, and it is from our old friend who nomen yes unnamed, is back one star. Here we go next to The Banger Sisters, easily the most misleading movie title in the history of cinema. Two cute blonde twins on the movie double teamed movie poster, and it's about basketball. What a letdown one star. Yikes. Oh man, that.
Speaker 1: Was a good fight, A good fight.
Speaker 2: Terrible. Okay, well, we're coming to a a Sabrina's favorite part of the program right now, which is of course our feature, and our feature this week is called based on a true Story. Double Team marks. Yes, I don't know what it is yet. Double Team marks another time that a dcom was actually based on a true story. So we're gonna get the name of another movie and we have to decide if it's based on a true story or completely fictitious. Three out of five wins. Producer Jensen or you with us today?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Oh no, he's not.
Speaker 2: With us, Okay, Mchaelka, okay, Michael, Now you can't lie to us, Mikaela. Even though we just bashed on your favorite movie of all time, this is your favorite, and this.
Speaker 4: Was one of my favorites. Like as a kid, I looked forward to this on Disney Channel every single time was on, like I needed to be home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Have you did you watch it again? Research?
Speaker 1: I sure did, and I loved it.
Speaker 2: I don't care how I don't care.
Speaker 1: I think they looked so much older.
Speaker 2: But it didn't bother you that they were twenty eight years old and didn't.
Speaker 1: Look like other as much as it bothered you. But you know I watched it as a little kid.
Speaker 2: Again, it's fine, Yeah, all right, all right, that's fine. Here we go. Well this is how you can get back at us. So here we go. Remember, we're gonna list a movie, and we have to decide if this movie is based on a true story or not. Number one Ocean's eleven. It can't be. It can't. There can't be a cool team of badass robbers in the things. So I'm gonna say this is not based on a real movie.
Speaker 4: No, you're correct, that's not based on a true story.
Speaker 2: Okay, good that's where we're We're one for one. Number two good Will Hunting. This was written by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. This isn't based on a true story. I don't think I'm gonna say no again. I'm gonna say no again.
Speaker 1: No, you're wrong.
Speaker 4: It is And I looked it up too, and it is based on events, like real life events and themes.
Speaker 2: So so like some like some guy was actually a janitor who was actually smarter than everybody at the school.
Speaker 4: Not sure on all the details, but it does say, inspiration for.
Speaker 1: Real life events and beings.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so geez kind of like I'm gonna call Jensen out on this, especially if he's not on the phone.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, because you're not here, that's why you're calling Jensen out. Yeah, Like that's not.
Speaker 3: Really like based on a true story. Like it's a few like what they picked up a couple of ideas.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know what. I love that number three, Cheaper by the dozen.
Speaker 1: I think this actually kind of I don't.
Speaker 2: I think. I think you're right. I think this is a real one. I don't know why I remember this being based on something real. So I'm gonna say, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes it is.
Speaker 4: It's based on a true story.
Speaker 2: There we go. Number four, fifty first Dates. Great movie.
Speaker 3: I've watched this movie over times, so kind of love.
Speaker 2: It's a great movie.
Speaker 1: This movie.
Speaker 2: It's certainly based on a real affliction.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say yes.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, yeah, yes, yes, you're correct.
Speaker 2: We won, we did, we won. But number five, I don't think I know this one. Which one is? There's so many girls. It's good, this is girl interrupted, but there's girl in a train. There's a girl with the Dragon tattoo, Girl with this Girl, which which.
Speaker 1: You seriously don't know this movie?
Speaker 2: No, what's girl interrupted?
Speaker 1: Angelina joel Lee is in this movie?
Speaker 2: Like does she just walk in and interrupt people all the time, like hey, hey, I'm Angelina Jolie. It's like, why does she keep interrupting?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't like Okay, the girls in an institute Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they're like, there's there. I mean this I guess could be off of a true story.
Speaker 2: I've never I've ever seen it was. So I'm gonna sit out because I've already won.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, uh dang it. Now that I'm on my own, I'm gonna lose.
Speaker 2: You don't know that going your gun?
Speaker 1: Do you ever? I'm gonna say, yeah, it might. Maybe it is. That would be wild if it was. I'm gonna say, yes, you're correct. It is based off the true story.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, So the only you won, Sabrina. But you know your you know what your handicap is is producer Jensen.
Speaker 1: Of course, he makes me so freaking nervous.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. It's producer Jensen. Thank you, Producer MICHAELA for helping us out today. Oh that's awesome and we won. We actually yes, awesome. Uh can we do some Sabrina.
Speaker 1: Sees we can?
Speaker 3: Okay, so yes, Like I said, I had to rewind. So it took me one hundred and twenty minutes to watch this movie. Because it took me the first fifty I had to go back and I wasn't paying attention. My first thing was why are the trophies in the kitchen? We braced over it very quickly, but I've never been in a house even with somebody who had like an older sibling who was just like amazing at a sport, have trophies in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: That felt so weird. I get it.
Speaker 3: This is when it started a lot of the stuff that Disney did on this movie that I think we didn't love was they put things like in our face instead of it just being like kids can pick up on stuff easily, easier than what.
Speaker 1: They did to us this movie.
Speaker 3: The the animated acting, like all that kind of stuff, Like I just feel like we know that this.
Speaker 1: Audience is smarter than what they allowed us to be.
Speaker 3: So like the the idea of like they're twins, they're wearing the same outfit, like that started to just kind of get on my nerves a little bit.
Speaker 1: Anyway, moving forward, the tandem bite killed me. Oh killed me. I couldn't get over.
Speaker 2: There also supposed to be twelve. There's supposed to be twelve.
Speaker 3: It made me also think when I looked at the station wagon, did you ever ride in one of the It was like a Voltswagen's station wagon or.
Speaker 2: Whatever we had. We had station wagons my whole time garding.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you did you have one? Where it?
Speaker 3: Was it part of my carpool It made me go back to my carpooling days when I was little, where one of the moms had the Voltswagen one and it was like you sat backwards the kids, No, I heard about this set the sit backwards.
Speaker 2: It's the throw up seat. Yeah, no, the backward seat. No, we never had one of those. Okay.
Speaker 1: We used to fight over it. It was like who got to sit in the backwards seat?
Speaker 3: And it made me think how unsafe was that if we ever got a fender bed, Well.
Speaker 2: Do you remember what your seat belt was in the seventies and the eighties, it was your mom going like this, Oh no, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Your mom would do that. That's that's what would happen.
Speaker 3: The first day outfit at the new school. The orange sweatshirts and the orange matching tops. That killed me. Who puts their kid in orange on the front. But then this was also, by the way, I was not in tune to the fact that we were in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I did get it eighty five.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, I did not.
Speaker 3: That did not happen to me until I pushed I'm going down to the nineteen eighty four all district patch that was on the letterman jacket. Is when I went, wait a second, are we in the eighties? We're in the eighties right now?
Speaker 1: This them.
Speaker 3: I feel bad saying calling someone out on their job. But the costume designer of this, the wardrobe.
Speaker 1: Was not on point.
Speaker 2: It didn't scream eighties like they didn't. It wasn't overly eighties.
Speaker 3: Needed to be for a viewer to understand. It just was it was like they had an old car. Okay, they're driving a stationwik but it wasn't like. It didn't make me go, oh okay, we're none of it. And then I hope that theers will back me because you probably never saw this movie. But this house Party reminded me. It almost looked identical to me of She's all that House Party, the eighties style. All of it looked amazing. It was and I was like, oh, this looks like did they film in the house She's all that House Party?
Speaker 1: Because it was so good.
Speaker 3: So when viewers go back and look, because it's almost to the point. Last thing I'm gonna say is we got to talk about Nicky's voice.
Speaker 1: Her voice was way too sexy to be on the Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: For me, it was it seemed dubbed, like the first time. The first couple scenes, it looked weird.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just dubbed.
Speaker 3: It was and this actress's voice is very sexy and it's I but it just was too sexy for the channel.
Speaker 1: For me, it was like, hey, are you gonna hey? I got, oh, maybe gonna watch out on this one. Hey hey, I was like, are we gonna call now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's see but it did. If you go back and watch watch the first couple of scenes with her, especially, it seemed like she had dubbed her entire performance.
Speaker 1: I think she did, but also it's because her voice was so you want to play basketball? You can play basketball.
Speaker 3: And it was just like, oh my god, this is taking me, especially in the scene with with what's his name the Galen with Gaelic.
Speaker 1: She was like, oh, Gaylan, should I stand here?
Speaker 3: No, Ni, don't stand there, don't ask for any more.
Speaker 2: My dad's never home.
Speaker 1: Terrible, so uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I was just like, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, this has this scene has to stop stop talking.
Speaker 1: Nikki, all right, that's those are good. Hey, I want to play basketball.
Speaker 2: I want to play basketball.
Speaker 1: I don't stop it.
Speaker 2: Then I tell you what double teams really about.
Speaker 3: GA.
Speaker 2: So uh it is. It is time where we, of course, are going to do rate our film, and I think we do Let's no, no, let's do one to ten. Let's do one to ten and we'll make one the worst this time and tell the best. And I.
Speaker 1: New things are not my thing. I can't.
Speaker 2: Here's what we're gonna do, where it's gonna do our options this week. One out of ten grown women playing children, Larry's and Mary's Sea Kings label liss Periers. One out of ten songs that just say go go, go over and over until you panic and have to curl into a ball. One out of ten dimly lit gyms, one out of ten, bacon, bean and cheese sandwiches, one out of ten, heather shuffles, or one out of ten worst fist bumps? Ever, which one would you like this week?
Speaker 1: Sabrina, I think I'm gonna add.
Speaker 2: Come on, what are you gonna add? Sexy Galen voice? Come on the triple Oh yes, Triple D. Let's let's do it. Let's do one out of ten triple ds.
Speaker 1: But after that last conversation, now the Triple D starting it is?
Speaker 2: It is, Oh yeah, do you want my Triple D? Here you go. It's my My, My dcom My D com I think you you went first last time, so I'm gonna go first this time. This This was not a This was not a great movie. I know this movie meant a lot to people, and I know it means a lot in the zeitgeist of Disney and and the subject matter with the W N B A and based on a true story, super cool. I love that The actual execution, if we're talking about a movie, wasn't that good. Just the mix was weird. You pointed out, the costumes weren't great, the casting was odd, some of the acting was not the best. This just We've were coming off of like three or four bangers where we're seeing what Disney can do, and this just wasn't the best movie. But because I like the subject matter and the subject matter matter to me and all that kind of stuff, I'm gonna give this five point five Triple d's. How about you? What what do you got? Producer? Kayla's like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: I know, MICHAELA, I know you like it.
Speaker 2: This wasn't a great movie. It just wasn't a great movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, I you know. I'm so sorry, Mikayla. I'm right there with you. I honestly, to me, it just looked like one. It just looked like one of the movies that they It wasn't. They wasn't full swing Disney for me. They know how to do this, and I would love for them to do especially now, because what I did love about the subject matter is how much it's carrying over into twenty twenty five, where like our our pro pro basketball players are, they're getting paid better now.
Speaker 1: I mean they are.
Speaker 3: The fight is like on and they are doing just magical things in the world, which I know is inspiring. Such a beautiful young age of women athletes. So I love that the subject matter is right here.
Speaker 1: So I would love Disney does it again double Team. This time it's personal needs.
Speaker 2: To come out too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because I think they could do it.
Speaker 3: They know how to do this, and they didn't do it in this one, and I was I was bummed watching it, just going. I remember loving it and I'm loving that this was happening, and I want I want Disney to do this one again because I think they this time really could just hit it and.
Speaker 1: Find and find.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh my god, could you imagine like the the little baby mamas out there that are just killing it, like find some and probably could act act their little agree.
Speaker 2: So are you what's your score? Then? I don't think you gave us a sport.
Speaker 1: I haven't yet because I'm scared going to show up to my house.
Speaker 3: But I'm just sure this one, this one is a I'm giving it a six.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah that's higher than me. Now, Producer Mikaela, are you sure you didn't remember Double Team the Jean Claude van Dam movie, because that might be the one that you love. I think it's the Muscles Brussels is the one that was because that one.
Speaker 3: He has not seen that one. She's talking about this one, and I get it. I think nostalgia wise, because it took me in and out. I just think when we're when we're really looking at it as a movie breaking it down, not great, it's not great, No, but.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's not bad. It wasn't horrible.
Speaker 3: Were now watching these I love when I can actually let my brain just relax and go. And like I said, I was pinballing. I was trying to figure out where we were the whole time.
Speaker 2: I think you said it perfectly towards the beginning of the podcast where you said it seemed like this like Disney was still trying to figure out what they were doing with this one. It kind of had that vibe. But anyway, well, thank you everybody so much for joining us. Our next movie is our first with Sindeia. Yes, it's twenty twelve's Frenemies of Good Old Disney Plus, so get ahead of the curve and watch it now. And as always, we've been interviewing so many dcom legends, from the stars of the movies to the writers to the directors, and we don't want you to miss any of those, so go subscribe to our dedicated Magical Rewind feed wherever you listen to podcasts and catch up, just search for Magical rewind and for more info, you can always follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. Go check out our other feed though, because some of the interviews are really really great and we will see you next time for frenemies, which hopefully will be a little bit better than double Damed. Thanks everybody, Bye mm