Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Sabor production of iHeartRadio. I'm Anny Rees.
Speaker 2: And I'm Lauren Vogelbaum, and today we have an episode for you about violets.
Speaker 1: Yes. I always love our flower episodes, even though they're a little bit difficult to pin down.
Speaker 2: Always uh huh. And there are so many poetical references in this one that I stopped myself at a certain point and was like, we're going to have to do a bonus episode about this if we want to do this, because there's too many poems about violets.
Speaker 1: Yes, And in fact, we were discussing before I had an unfinished note in the outline hmmm, where I was like poetry about violets through the time, and I never finished it, and then because of DeLay's and a bunch of various things, I forgot that I had it, and then thought Lauren was going to finish the thought, and I was very excited about it.
Speaker 2: And I had to be the buzzkill who today like commented on the unfinished phrase like, Hey, my dude, like, are you going to finish this thought?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, I thought it was your thought, So no, okay, we're all doing great. We are doing great. We're speaking of, we are a little behind with this one, but there was an idea behind.
Speaker 2: It, right, So Mother's Day as we are recording this was this past Sunday, and I was like, hey, let's do something nice for Mother's Day, maybe perhaps a flower, and we somehow landed on violets. Yeah, yeah, that's pretty much it. But yes, Mother's Day, Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I'm actually meeting with my mom this weekend because the weather was so bad. Oh yeah, so's it's timely in that way.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean, celebrate the mothers in your life every day. For anyone who has a hard time on a Mother's Day, I see you. And you know, violets are still very nice.
Speaker 1: Violets are still really nice. So for past episodes you can see I would say rosewater, dandelion, lavender.
Speaker 2: Yeah we did that. I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Yes, I would never forget because I learned that my lion trick doesn't work in that episode. Lions are not deterred by lavender. Oh heck, I forgot about that too. Here we are, thanks for reminding me. I've got to live. I gotta know what I'm gonna do if I face a lion lauren and also marigolds.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yes, yes, such, yes, but that brings us to our question. Sure, violets, what are they?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Violets are small flowers that are purple to white in color, sometimes a little bit of both in patterns or gradients, and have a scent that's sort of soft and sweet and a little bit woody, like a gentle, powdery sort of floral. The blossoms can be used whole as a garnish in salads or desserts, or can be sugared and eaten as a candy or used as a garnish for desserts. The flavor and color come through well in extracts, which are used to flavor jellies and candies, baked goods, creamy desserts of various kinds, liqueurs. The plant's leaves are edible too, and can be used as fresh or cooked greens. They're a little bit bitter and vegetable and put off a little bit of like slippy, thickening mucilage they're cooked. Yeah, violets are just a treat, just real pretty to look at, and their leaves are like a real pretty dark green, and they're just small and they smell nice. And they go well with a lot of other flavors, and they kind of grow everywhere just on their own, whether you want them to or not. They're just a little ground treat. A ground treat, yeah, as opposed to as opposed to a tree treat, which is different, Okay, botanically.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The word violet is used confusingly for hundreds of flowers in the wide genus Viola, which also includes things that are not called violets that are also edible, like pansies. However, often when you're talking about edible violets, you're talking about Viola odorata, also called sweet violets or English violets, among many other name or similar looking species like Viola sororia also called common violet, which are typically less scented but also quite edible. As far as I am personally aware due to relatively brief research, don't take my word for it. Flowers in the Viola genus are generally edible, but if you're unsure of what you're dealing with, definitely consult a field guide or local expert before you go foraging. Like I've read that yellow colored violets can cause stomach upset when eaten in large amounts. Know what you're growing and harvesting. For example, some things that are called violets, like African violets, are in a different genus and are not okay to eat. The leaves in particular, can resemble other plants that you should not eat. Always look stuff up if you are not sure. As social media personality, the black forager would say happy snacking, don't die, Yes.
Speaker 1: Don't good advice, okay.
Speaker 2: Viola odorata grow close to the ground, usually only a few inches tall, maybe like four inches or ten centimeters. Viola sororia can be about twice as tall as that, still not big. In both, the leaves are this like cute heart shape or kind of like a rounded fan shape, and are a little bit shiny. Underground, the plants grow rhizomes and true roots off of those, and the plants can spread in a few different ways via above ground shoots, or from self fertilized underground near ground flower buds, or from the seeds that pollinated flowers will produce, assuming you don't eat the flowers first. The seeds are contained within the plant's fruit, which is basically this like hard oval shaped seed pod that will split open into three sections. Shooting the seeds up and away when they're fully developed. A little bit stranger things, ask still pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Oh and speaking of those seeds, So this isn't strictly food related, but I learned a new thing today. Okay, some seeds, these seeds included, have like a little fleshy structure attached to the outside that will contain some fats and some proteins, and ants love them. Ants will take seeds with this feature. It's called an alaisome. I think I'm saying that right. They'll take it. They'll take these seeds back to their nest and give them to their developing larvae. The larvae eat the elaisome, but leave the seed intact, which the worker ants will then take out of their nest to their waste disposal area, which is a thing that ant colonies have, and they'll leave it there. And ant waste sites are rich in nutrients, so the seeds will germinate and grow into a new plant. This is a whole type of symbiotic relationship known as burmacoccary that apparently has evolved independently in all kinds of different flowering plants. I love this. I love this nature is so weird. Mrma Coachery if you're wondering, essentially means circular ant dance in Greek.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. I like both the words mcrockery and the image of ants dancing in a circle. Yeah. Yeah, man.
Speaker 2: Anyway, having all of these contingent plans for reproduction is why violets can be really pesky in a grass lawn if you're trying to keep it perfect. On a related note, I can't tell you what to do, and I understand that perfect grass lawns are like really pretty, but consider killing your lawn and replacing it with native plants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's of my dad. He called it a naturally ard Yeah. I put that in quotes because he said it with such a specifics.
Speaker 2: But you're not doubting. You're not doubting the naturalness or the yardness. You're saying it was specifically a natural yar.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was like, yeah, what he called it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And anyway, anyway, those flowers on violets will bloom in the early spring. They have five petals arranged into a group of three, forming a sort of cup for nectar on the bottom, and then another group of two. On the top, they'll often have a bit of white towards the center of the petals and a little spot of yellow, but otherwise the petals can range in any shade of purple to white to pink. And yeah, they have this like delicate, powdery sweet sort of scent and flavor, which is extra interesting because it messes with your nervous system just a little so that it appears to come and go.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: This is because one of the scent compounds in violets is something called ionine, which a smells a floral powdery and b temporarily blocks you from smelling anything once you've smelled a certain amount of it. This is also so cool. I learned two things today, all right, So okay, let's back up a second. The way that you smell things is that let's say that a pizza just came out of the oven, and the hot bread and sauce and cheese are all putting off scent compounds into the air. As you breathe in air, some of those scent molecules will enter your airways and bind to nerve endings called olfactory receptors and activate those receptors, thus sending a message to your brain that you're smelling the cheese or the bread or the sauce, and okay, when a compound activates a nerve receptor, that compound is called an agonist. But some molecules can also bind to olfactory nerve receptors and not send a signal, and furthermore block other molecules from attaching and potentially signaling, and these compounds are called antagonists. An Ionine can act as both. So so you smell it for a little bit, and then it inhibits your ability to smell for a little bit, and then after a few breaths or minutes or whatever, it stops blocking those receptors.
Speaker 1: And you can smell it.
Speaker 2: Anew. I did not know that compounds could be both. I didn't know that this is This is awesome.
Speaker 1: It is very cool. And when I read it, the first thing I thought was have there been murder mysteries where this was used? I'm just curious. That is very neat, it's really difficul it's really cool.
Speaker 2: I mean potentially, yeah, it was that there was a certain period of time when violets were used as a funerary flower, partially because of this capacity to block your olfactory sense, because if you're hanging out around a dead body, you might not want to smell it for a minute. There, you know.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so many times with these flower episodes, I just want to talk about the old language of flowers. But we have to remind ourselves we're a food show. But I do know part of the reason violets essentially got for a while got put in into the same pin of like melancholy, it was because of this. It was like when you forget something and then it comes back. Yeah, forget it and then it wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, So speaking of yeah, ostensibly a food show, all right, you can candy the flowers. You can dip them in something sticky like egg white or aquafaba, and then dip them in sugar like granulated sugar and then let them dry. Also, in addition to being a nice flavor, the extract is really pretty. It's like you can get a really good, deep violet color off of it. And it turns out that the pigment that makes violets violet is pH reactive, meaning that it changes colors based on how acidic or basic. That the solution that it's in itself is so in a neutral PhD water or alcohol or sugar syrup situation, it's going to be like like green to blue, and then if you add an acid like lemon juice, it'll turn like purple to pink, similar with litmus paper. Yeah, and this means that you can have a lot of fun with cocktails and other like decorative kitchen projects. M also of violet liqueurs. You could make your own at home, but there are several that are made commercially, often called by the French term crem devillt. It's not creamy here. Crem indicates an extraction. I believe I didn't double check that, but I feel good about it, which means I'm probably wrong fact checking for another date. At any rate. Creme de villa is an element of the classic cocktail that aviation, which is gin lemon juice, marachino licur and violet liqueur.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: That is one of my That is just one of my favorite all time cocktails, just so nice. If you do start experimenting with the bottle of violet liqueur, use it sparingly at first. The floralness can pack more of a punch than you think. Yeah, yes, yeah, I've not personally worked with the greens though, I did go outside and like eat a few leaves while I was writing this outline, are just violet violet leaves annie specificity. I checked to make sure that the seed pods were the type of seed pods that violets have, as the flowers are not in bloom right now, so again safe foraging. They were just gonna. They were a little bit bitter and vegetable. I don't know, but yeah, I understand that they're best when they're young and tender in the spring, but are fine when they're cooked. When they're a little bit older and tougher. People recommend cooking them in general. Apparently sound folks are sensitive to them when they're raw. Okay, further test, Oh yeah, yeah, are needed? Yes, Well what about the nutrition? You know, plants in general are good for you. You know, they've got fiber and micronutrients, stuff like that. Different types of violets have been used in traditional medicines in various culture around the world, often for cough related ailments, and research about that is happening. But you know, say ra motto before you bodies are complicated. More research is necessary before ingesting a medicinal amount of anything. You should consult a healthcare provider who is not us.
Speaker 1: Definitely not nobors. Well, we do have some numbers for you, we do, all right.
Speaker 2: Viola is one of the widest genera of flowering plants, containing some four hundred to seven hundred species, depending on who you ask. These range from the herbal types that we've been talking about, to like small shrub types in the Hawaiian Islands to succulent types in the Andes. Fascinating, but like, yeah, like the list of places that violets are native to is way longer than the list of places that they're not. Somehow, like Western af Africa, eastern South America, and western Australia didn't get any other than that. I like, like they've been introduced to most of the Caribbean. They're just really widespread, And even within those hundreds of species, there can be a lot of different varieties that are bred for center color or whatever. Speaking a little bit more broadly, the global market for packaged edible flowers is expected to hit three hundred and eighty million dollars a year by twenty twenty six. Vola species I keep going back and forth between viola and viola. I think I'm sorry I'm not going to stop because I can't remember which one it is and those ab things it is on off one zero. I have no idea. It could be anyon so.
Speaker 1: You're a robot, yes, not when a vampire got it.
Speaker 2: They're probably pretty close anyway. Anyway, species in this genus are considered a profitable segment of that fresh packaged market, though not as profitable as marigolds, those tricksy marigolds. The market for violet extract is worth over two hundred million dollars a year. The natural extract is now outpacing the market for the synthetic extract, which is impressive because for a long time synthetic was kind of the thing it's It's apparently one of the earlier types of synthetic florals because of ironine being relatively easily discovered, but I couldn't find an exact date on that, so I'm not going to mention it in the history section. But here we are more. Violet extract goes into cosmetics and like personal care products than the food and beverage industry, but not by a whole lot. And there are some violet festivals in France, there's one in Provence, in this village near the Mediterranean coast, in between like can and Monaco. As of twenty twenty five, it was in its seventy eighth year. There's a parade of floats made with real and paper flowers, and music and dancing and all kinds of food and drinks and products for sale made with violence. Oh, listeners, if you've been, Oh, I found photos. It looks gorgeous.
Speaker 1: You must let us know. Yes, yes, yes, yes, please yes, because honestly, a lot of are ostensibly a feud show. A lot of our history doesn't necessarily involve food, but plenty, we've got nuggets of it there. Yeah, yes, So we will get into that after a quick break from award from our sponsors, and we're back. Thank you sponsor, Yes, thank you. Okay. So different types of violets originated in different places around.
Speaker 2: The world, mostly in temperate parts of the Northern Hemisphere. But again there's a lot of violets. For the two that we've been mostly talking about today. V Odorata is from areas around the Mediterranean and V. Sororia is North American.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. Violets do have a long history of being prized in certain cultures. For a variety of things. The ancient Greeks used violets to flavor wines or honey, and violets are mentioned in the first century CE cookbook Out of Ancient Rome. The Epicus talked about that a lot before. The indigenous peoples in North America used all parts of the violet culinarily and medicinally.
Speaker 2: I read that and some a Jibwe traditions. During like fluffy springtime snows, they would harvest violets and then steep them overnight in birch bark containers, and then the next day use the cooled colorful tea or extract to top fresh snow with as a treat.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds nice, right, and like you said, it is very pretty. It can be very striking, so yeah, oh yeah, kind of speaking of. During the Medieval and Renaissance periods in Europe's violets were sometimes used in art to depict purity and innocence. The flowers themselves were dried in preparation of winter to use in the cold months. The leaves were also eaten. On top of that, the petals were sometimes used for decorations on things like cakes, which again I can just see how visually that would be a nice, nice little thing. In seventeenth century Culpeper's herbal included an entry on violets. It described many medicinal uses for the plant, but also culinary applications, particularly with violet syrup and in liqueurs. And this is just a brief aside. I think this is where I got caught up in the whole poetry thing and never finished my complete thought. But here we go, and stick with me. In celebration of Elizabeth, the first poet, Edmund Spencer wrote The Fairy Queen in fifteen ninety and here's a sample from that. She'd bathe with roses red and violet's blue, and all the sweetest flowers that in the forest grew. And if that sounds familiar, it's really stuck around. About two centuries later, poet Joseph Johnson wrote the Roses read the Violet's blue, the honey sweet, and so are you. In eighteen sixty two, Victor Hugo included this in his play Leis Miserbla. Violets are blue, Roses are red, Violets are blue. I Love My Loves, which I actually haven't seen that play, but I was reading it about it for this research, and I'm to understand that we've largely misinterpreted as a society.
Speaker 2: I've not so I'm personally not familiar with Lima's rob I with neither the musical nor the book. Nothing about it is familiar to me. But I looked this one up. It's part of a song sung by Fantine. That's all I got for you. I would have to look further into it, which I did not do in preparation for this episode. Well, I know people are fans, so please write in, Oh, I know people are fans.
Speaker 1: Oh yes. According to what I read, though, it was kind of like it wasn't the It doesn't have the vibe we say when we say like roses are red, violets are blue. It was much more kind of like things are how they are, and that's just it.
Speaker 2: But well, if you can imagine from a piece of media titled miserab things are going poorly.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, listeners were counting on you. We could have looked it up, and we were. We skewed it because we're a food show. But here's another note that's not food related. Interestingly, thousands of years ago, poets sappho of lesbos out of ancient Greek who is a lesbian icon of history, wrote you put on many wreaths of violets and roses together by my side, and round your tender neck put many woven garlands made from flowers.
Speaker 2: So yeah, being being written about in a romantic poetic way for millennia. Violets did also figure into an ancient Greek myth about io When she was a human and when Zeus fell for her because he was irrepressibly a philander philanderer, she got turned into a cow and violets were created for her to eat. The It's the myths are unclear on who turned her into the cow, who turned her into the cow, and who gave her the violets, but that's the gist of the concept.
Speaker 1: So many of these myths revolve around, well, we turned her into x y Z animal. That's just it. Okay, Yep, just happens sometimes. Yep, it does, it does. Going back to a point I made earlier, at least since the sixteen hundreds, we see this recurring theme of the violent scent being described as melancholy or sad, as well as in terms of music. Some speculate this is because of the violet's unique fragrance properties that cause humans to experience it and burst like something fading away only to return again later. I think that's so cool.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting, it really is.
Speaker 1: I love that it got incorporated into art, even though people might not have necessarily understood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they were like, this is a weird thing. Yeah, let's be metaphorical about that. Cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, which brings us to Shakespeare. Shakespeare was a big fan of violets. Shakespeare's early sixteen hundred play Twelfth Night references them quote, oh it came so over my ear, like the sweet sound that breathes upon a bank of violets, stealing and giving odor. Enough, no more, tis not so sweet as it was before, which is the thing, like, yeah, stealing and giving odor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he wrote. Shakespeare wrote about violets a lot. That was the point at which I had to stop myself and go, like, this is a different episode. The Shakespeare references alone are a different episode, let alone anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's where I got. This whole section got me stuck, because we do love learning about that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's super fascinating and I'm a big Shakespeare nerd. Anyway, and okay, so but yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just know if you're interested, there's a lot of material out there for you.
Speaker 2: There is, and we may revisit it later.
Speaker 1: We may. Napoleon and Empress Josephine's favorite flower was reportedly the European violet. Allegedly, he would give Josephine a bouquet of them every year on their wedding anniversary. Even after he divorced and died, he was buried with the locket of her hair and some violets. Corn Twitter read Napoleon's second wife, Mary Louise, liked violets too, so they were very popular in France. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I read that those violets that he was buried with he had plucked from her grave.
Speaker 1: Ooh yeah, that's some emo.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's like Mary Shelley level emo. Yes, I adore it. Right Around this time, in the seventeen to eighteen hundreds, there are records of color changing ink being made from violet juice as a sort of parlor trick in France and England. So like going back to that color changing property of acid versus base, right, Like if you paint a piece of paper with a clear acid on one bit and a clear base on another, something like lemon juice on one part and like baking soda and water on another part. Or you know you would have used potash at the time, but sure, And then you write or draw over both sections of the paper using violet juice as your ink. You'll get reds on the acid part and then greens on the base part.
Speaker 1: That is so cool. You told me when you suggest this topic. You were like, it's going to be a lot of different avenues and you were crooks.
Speaker 2: Oh it is it is speaking of in England, violets had around this time, Ish gained an association with like shy feminine modesty, you know, the shrinking violet, possibly because of that scent thing, or possibly because the plants kind of like hide amongst other greenery.
Speaker 1: Yes, and violets were very popular during Victorian and Edwardian times in Europe, largely as a cut flower. During this time, they were really sought after for their beauty and their perfume.
Speaker 2: Both to wear on a pin or buttonhole or as a perfume or to eat as a breath freshener and a flavor of retreats.
Speaker 1: Yes. In France, there was a push to breed varieties that were more fragrant and have longer stems. A lot of different varieties were described in French sources beginning around the end of the eighteen hundreds, so they were really pushing this. This is also when violets got incorporated into all kinds of things in France, candied violets, violet syrup, violet perfumes, and ice cream. They were just looking to add it to anything. Chocolates with violet cream and topped with violets were popular in England at this time too, and yes, crim de violets brandy with added sugars and steeped in violets, has been around since at least the nineteenth century. It was typically served with something like vermouse until the Aviation cocktail, which was allegedly invented in nineteen sixteen separate episode. After a major producer closed their doors in the sixties, this product, krim de violet, almost faded away until the two thousands. Towards the end of the eighteen hundreds early nineteen hundreds, the Hudson Valley in New York was facing this sharp economic downturn. Greenhouses owned by the wealthy weren't being maintained, and then a britishman named William Saltford got the idea to use these greenhouses to launch commercial industry around growing violets. His gambit paid off as violets became popular in fashion and in nearby cities, and that area was dubbed the violet Capital of the world. This all changed in the twenties and thirties with the fungal outbreak and the Great Depression.
Speaker 2: Huh. Meanwhile, there was a resurgence of violets as a sapphic symbol in the nineteen twenties due to this stage play called The Captive that was about lesbians and in this one scene, the lady characters exchanged oukats of violets. Supporters of the show in Paris took to wearing violets. But the play caused such a stir in New York that it got shut down by the police and apparently might have tanked the American violet floral industry.
Speaker 1: It's both sad and hilarious, as both people look me up to come on, man, these flowers are gay.
Speaker 2: Oh no, now that you mentioned that other thing about the about the Hudson Valley and the fungal outbreak. I suspect that was more the issue, but.
Speaker 1: They probably dumptailed a little bit. But yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Harper's Bizarre at the time was definitely like, oh yes, this gay play to the bane of violet growers everywhere ruined.
Speaker 1: Uh well, sweet violet production in England peaked in the nineteen thirties but then kind of went downhill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that there were a few weather events around Europe that made growing kind of difficult, starting like like around mid century. But speaking of mid century, there were a couple of different tablet style candies that were popular in the US and the UK around the mid nineteen hundreds that had violet flavoring, Parma violets and showereds violet.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you included that note, because I kept running into Parma violets and I couldn't couldn't quite figure out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, just a real popular candy. But also a variety of violets that originally came from Italy that became very popular in coastal France. Especially if you start looking up like specific varietals that were developed around that area, you start hearing a lot about Parma violets.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was the first thing that came up in all my search results, and I was taken aback. So this is one of those episodes where we have talked a lot about non food stuff. I would say violets have seen a bit of a resurgence in the culinary world, at least in the US, especially when comes to cocktails or as a garnish for drinks or salads.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think all of the like fancy restaurants that I've gone to anytime within the past like five years, have had at some point a pretentious violet garnish.
Speaker 1: On the plate. Yeah. That feels about It's kind of sad because you know that they have so much more potential. But I do feel like we're when it comes to edible flowers, a lot of times we still use it as like a garnish or a nice a fancy.
Speaker 2: Salad, right right, Yeah, and like not particularly meant to be appreciated for the scent or even even to eat maybe, but yeah, but yeah, that resurgence I think was partially spurred by the Kraft cocktail movement of the early two thousands, because one of those drinks that just suddenly surged onto menus everywhere along with a few other classic was the aviation, So people were like, oh, what's this crime to be let thing?
Speaker 1: Let's go. Yeah, and as mentioned, it's a very striking cocktail. It looks pretty. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that purple color is nice, it's pretty.
Speaker 1: It's very pretty. But listeners, if you have more experience with eating violets or drinking violets in anyway, please let us know. I'm so interested to hear.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, yes, if you have a favorite bit of violet related poetry, let us.
Speaker 1: Know any poetry.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, if you have any good food related poetry. Yeah, but yes, that is what we have to say about violets for now. We do already have some listener mail for you, though, and we are going to get into that as soon as we get back from one more quick break for a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: And we're back. Thank you, sponsor, Yes, thank you, And we're back with since is gone now but perhaps we'll come back. I love that. I think that's my favorite fact of this episode. That is so interesting to me. That ant thing is pretty cool is cool too.
Speaker 2: But but the but I'm also I'm also a little bit partial to ant facts.
Speaker 1: Yes, that makes sense to me. I spent a lot of time playing some aunt as a child. Ah, yes, I did know this about you. Yes, okay, well I'm glad we got to have an ant yes for this episode. Yes all right. Well, as mentioned, a lot of you have written in about Krispy Kreme. Please keep those messages coming. You're loving them. So Joe wrote, Krispy Kreme was always a treat when I was growing up because the nearest city with the shop was forty minutes away. If friends were in that city, they'd bring as a box and vice versa. Buying four or five dozen was just normal because of the distance. That scarcity was why Krispy kreame fundraisers were always so successful. When I was a kid, everyone was willing to buy a boxer two. Nowadays, my hometown still doesn't have a dedicated store, though there are some grocery stores that carry it. It's just not the same, especially when they're hot. My hometown makes up for it by having a number of really great local donut shops. The craving is so real. Dunkin Donuts is far more ubiquitous up here. It seems like you can't turn around without tripping over one. But the nearest Krispy Cream is in the suburbs time to make a special trip.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's different things. It's different things.
Speaker 1: It is different things. But I would say, like in my experience Dunkin Donuts is I guess I can counter Dunkin Donuts mostly when I'm traveling and there's always a Dunkin Donuts. There's always an airport or in the airport. Yeah, going back to that point we made about them kind of prioritizing the like you're on the go getting.
Speaker 2: And having like breakfast sandwiches and more coffee options stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but this is this is an interesting take. I mean, forty minutes away from a Krispy Cream. That's a little hard for me to envision as well, because I've got so many.
Speaker 2: Crispy Creams around.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the South is the South is where they're from.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, no, I mean like no, I mean, if you're going you might as and you're and you're traveling with them, you might as well get a few dozens. Why not? This only makes logical sense.
Speaker 1: That's a funny thing about donuts, is I feel like that donut logic always happens. It's like I might as well, get a dozen.
Speaker 2: I mean why not?
Speaker 1: Why not? I got friends, they'll eat some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're getting one dozen, you might as well get too. I mean, what are you doing exactly?
Speaker 1: It's just smart. You're just thinking, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You're one of the early times that I started, so I was thinking about starting a food show when we went to Austin together along with a number of our other coworkers for south By Southwest. And one of the things that made me go, like, what about Annie, you should be on a food show was when you you had a tip that if you showed up between shift changes at Voodoo Donuts, they'll give you a bucket of donuts, like a bucket, like a five gallon bucket of donuts, and they'll basically just give it to you. Yeah, And I was like, Annie knows, what's up?
Speaker 1: Like this is great, we need this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we got a bucket of donuts because of course we did. Of course, I was lovely. It was lovely. It was that was a good time. We had a good time. Yeah, yeah, what a weird but lovely trip. Yes, indeed, Carrie.
Speaker 2: Wrote hello and thank you for yet another episode full of nostalgia for me. Have you done an episode on Lance sandwich crackers. We call them nabs. If you do that, I may very well travel back in time. For me, Krispy Kreme and church go together like well donuts and coffee. Here in North Carolina, you can never go wrong bringing a dozen glazed to church. You won't have any leftovers either. Decades ago, someone had the idea to provide Sunday school students with SODA's and Krispy Kreme right before classes began. That didn't last long, as the kids threw themselves at the snack table and got all sugared up before having to sit still for forty five minutes. My parents would very occasionally drive by Krispy Cream on the way home from church just to see if they had hot donuts, and of course it would be a shame not to stop in while those donuts were hot, but most of the time we took a different route home from church. My favorites are the original Glazed and the crueler Ah memories.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting that you wrote in about this because I used to. I struggled to sit through church as a kid, and my parents would offer me a donut after.
Speaker 2: Oh the marshmallow test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: You can have this thing later if you really behave yourself right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so I can't imagine if i'd have the donut before.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no that point. Yeah, you're hyped up. You've had a treat. No, no, that's not gonna work out. Well, no, but they are. I mean again, you get a dozen donuts. It's great for an event. It's easy, and people love them. People love them.
Speaker 1: They bring joy and it.
Speaker 2: Would be a shame not to stop while the donuts are hot.
Speaker 1: That's how they get you. You can't not stop if the hot signs on.
Speaker 2: I just drive responsibly.
Speaker 1: Yes, look before you turn.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm wondering how many people in Atlanta have like a near death Krispy Kream related experience.
Speaker 1: I think the number is probably pretty high, to be honest, I suspect so as well. Wow, listeners, if you've had a dangerous encounter with Krispy Kreme or any Krispy Creame stories, we would love to hear from you. You can email us at hello at savorpod dot com.
Speaker 2: We are also on social media. You can find us on blue Sky and Instagram at savor pod, and we do hope to hear from you savor is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks as always to our super producers Dylan Fagan and Andrew Howard. Thanks to you for listening, and we hope that lots more good things are coming your way.