Speaker 1: On today's episode The.
Speaker 2: Command Center Podcast, we're talking running backs and the franchise tag. Why aren't teams investing in that position anymore? These guys, Fred Santana give a great perspective on that. And then with the combine to participate or not to participate?
Speaker 1: That is the question Drake.
Speaker 2: Made, jayde Daniels, Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Junior on the fence about participating. What are the pros and cons of that? And a two thousand and one redraft Man. You guys know those guys really well in that class, your greatness, you're greatness. Where does Santana and Fred go in that draft? And then we got a buttercake fake off. Zach Selby's back with a vengeance Kenny Deliver to Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Smooth the Mouth of the South and Santana, Mossy and Dude Tanna the sweatsuits.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's that ocean green right theah.
Speaker 2: It's a nice it's a nice look. Man.
Speaker 4: Man, ma could just put on this west soon and be come to I put cloth. That's my that's my biggest thing. When when when it's cold out, I hate putting on all those jackets and sweaters, so I just gots Now, you.
Speaker 3: Can tell this dude like he plans the night before, like what he's gonna wear wanted.
Speaker 4: Look, I actually took this out the wrapper this morning, took it out.
Speaker 2: The bag at the creation and look at it.
Speaker 4: I went in there out the bag to pop the tags off it. I went in, I went in my hat rack and they're going to have to match it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I do. Man.
Speaker 4: The other thing that I have to map it out like we did in high school.
Speaker 2: The other thing that I just wanted to point out is, in addition to Santana always being fresh fitted in the Logan Pulse and Fred smooth sports competitiveness, I think I'm winning, right, my winning like field goals and basketball.
Speaker 3: Right, you dominate me in basketball because you're just huge. Let's just start there, and you're strong and I was in no shape.
Speaker 1: You're winning and the kicking just brute force, Like that's what you did.
Speaker 2: It was a little technique there. But the thing I wanted to bring up is last night, you know, getting hanging out with my wife and I get a text from old Fred that's smooth old to twenty one on the bowling man, that was pretty good.
Speaker 4: I hope he get all that out the way right now, and by the time he get there on tape, he stinks I didn't wear his game.
Speaker 1: Because I went to forty one to forty one.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying like, and it says it's got his bowling name Istano.
Speaker 3: Sit snap my finger. Half of the pins in the world disappeared.
Speaker 2: And so I don't know, man, I just feel like the fact you sent that to me means like I'm in your head a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I just want to let you know what you're about to get in.
Speaker 4: And he showing he's showing, he's showing you that he can be himself on the lane.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: He can't be himself out there doing anything athletic.
Speaker 1: You don't need you don't need. No, you need to be safe. You gotta be an athlete to go bowls. No, because I bowled gets A couple of seventy year olds yesterday talked all kind of trash too. They did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's the who's the famous bowler guy? He just retired right? Well, yeah, he just retired, right He was like, I'm him.
Speaker 3: No, Pete Webby is him and said that's why I think it's time now for me to be the lebron of the PB eight and they need a trash talking bro in there to really get things started.
Speaker 1: At bet three six five. I'll say it height Bo Jackson, Dion Sanders.
Speaker 3: I'm not the only two sport guys. I'm going pro again. I'll figure out pro again. All right, Well, i'd love to see it, BBA. Just reminder we're about to go bet three sixty five. At bet three sixty five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sports should be epic.
Speaker 2: Right now, New customers can choose between two offers when they open account of bet three sixty five. Use a QR code to sign up. Deposit ten inchoes between either first bet safety and offer. By placing a bet up to one thousand. If you're qualifying bet losers, you receive a match refund in bonus bets or betting get offer in place. I've bet of five dollars or more than one hundred and fifteen bonus bets, whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. Bet three sixty five Official Sports Betting partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 3: I bet the house logan cannot beat me in bowling house. But now guys claimber must be twenty one plus physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibly if you are in someone you know has a gambling problem and won't help one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please do do that. So yeah, I mean, that's that's that's a good bowling square.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 4: I was kind of scared me a little bit because I'm rusty. I haven't been out there as much.
Speaker 1: Both to right, I can bowl to youall. I have my own ball.
Speaker 2: I don't have I just use one thing. But if I do beat.
Speaker 4: You, if you're not going, I was like, I was like, oh, might I have to go out and give me a game or two wins?
Speaker 1: Bread is out there, get that work in. Yeah, but I do it.
Speaker 3: I'm bowl That's just my leads. You're like if I need, like if I'm having a scutch for day, I'm asked that all the time.
Speaker 4: What do I do for fun? And bowling was one of them, Like I haven't done it in a while. Now for fun, I'm riding the bike, working out or something, you know, what I mean. But that's my fun. Like I go bowl like normally when I take my kids out on the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going. Both we're going, and I'm the same way.
Speaker 4: It's a great time because when I was young, I grew up with my grandmother's home, and you got to think, we come from some of these kind of upbringings where you have your.
Speaker 1: Mom or the siblings in the house and they have kids.
Speaker 4: And so the way that we got out the house from being all crammed up in one big old crib is to go bowling or go skating. So those are the two things that I down South, yep, you know as a youth that now you know, I kind of try to do it now, you know.
Speaker 3: I call them beer anticified sports, meaning I could drink beer and get better.
Speaker 1: Like darts, darts, bowling, golf, corn hole, corn hole, corn hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're getting better after a few beer. Yeah.
Speaker 3: God, when you do golf tournaments, Let's say we had ten of golf tournament.
Speaker 1: By the third hole.
Speaker 3: One of my eyes is closed, so I'm seeing in the matrix.
Speaker 1: I don't even see grants. I just see numbers.
Speaker 4: That's actually when I get better because I can't golf by the time I had the second round of that titos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just slapping that thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you think too much in golf, you will feel so it takes the edge off.
Speaker 1: And Jay challenged me to coin hole.
Speaker 3: All right, but I learned how to play coin hole by horseshoes, which horseshoes is harder to play the corn hole, So defoe, I am a specialist?
Speaker 2: Is it theave a comment if you think horse shoes are harder than corn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you get the horseshoes hard.
Speaker 2: Is that that? Yeah, I'm not saying horseshoes is easy, just saying like.
Speaker 1: It's harder than corn hole.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, what do you think, Jason, you're the expert.
Speaker 5: I'm not an expert. Horseshoes is hard. I'm better than Fred at cornhole.
Speaker 1: No, he's not. We will see my.
Speaker 5: Own corn hole boards like every Saturday.
Speaker 1: For like somebody say I'm good at football, and I made my own football. Nobody cared that you made a peak skin. But my way around what I do.
Speaker 2: What I will say Fred is you say you're good at everything. That you say you're good at everything, There's never been one thing where I'm like, you're like, no, I'm okay at that.
Speaker 3: And then some stuff when we were talking now, they were like, how are you in back gambling now, like, I'm not good at that.
Speaker 2: I don't even know. Well, I don't even know what to say to that.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if that's He just said he can play ping Pauls.
Speaker 4: So that means he can play tennis tennis.
Speaker 1: Every time every town.
Speaker 2: We do that for our next contest, pickleball. Yeah, I've never played.
Speaker 5: You know, he's also very good at pickleball? Is intern Caroline?
Speaker 2: Is she that's not surprised.
Speaker 1: I thought she was good at soccer. I want to see she's very good at time.
Speaker 2: Also, I was disappointed on that day were kicking field goals.
Speaker 1: She was not good.
Speaker 2: She was not good at kicking field goals. So she had soccer though, really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, national champion.
Speaker 1: I know she was probably she was on the team, she was the start. Pretty good, She's pretty good.
Speaker 2: She just disappointed.
Speaker 1: We need to watch the field.
Speaker 2: Watch do that tonight watching turn Caroline.
Speaker 3: By the way, speaking of soccer, we did go to it, well, I did. He was supposed to be there.
Speaker 1: I went to I went to DC United.
Speaker 3: Game, okay, and it was very good and just is it such a different audi?
Speaker 1: Oudy stated, such a.
Speaker 3: Different football crowd, So I enjoyed it. A lot of international people there. It's just the way they roared. And I can say this about soccer. They get excited about these smallest things. Deal yeah, because he's like, no scoring.
Speaker 1: You can't get excited about goals, yea, up and down the field.
Speaker 3: So a guy put a little effort into a player get a red card or something. The crowd, I'm like, did I just miss something? And I'm just there like ted least, so I'm just.
Speaker 1: Let me enjoining it. But it was a it was a good game, a good crowd. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's awesome. Intenda.
Speaker 4: You didn't trying to rub it in that I didn't show up, but I was. We both had events that that that Saturday. I called him after my event, like, hey, what time you go into the stadium?
Speaker 1: That's the night?
Speaker 4: Howse Like, I'm like, well, all right, and I'm gonna go home. Call me on your way there.
Speaker 1: He won. He didn't call me.
Speaker 4: And two when I woke up, it was eight o'clock, so I missed. You know what, I mean, so I'm not I'm not tripping, but they was trying to bring us out to a local local DC athletes. Yep, so Fred was there. I was supposed to be the speed. Mitch Quarters was there, b Mitch, which I appreciating them, So hass off to them for acknowledging those guys from points.
Speaker 1: The DMV should do it more. Yeah, that's cool. Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it just giving the opportunity.
Speaker 1: But it's an I gonna make it.
Speaker 2: All right, Well it's I'm glad. I'm glad you had fun up the soccer game. Now let's talk about some football a right. So kind of big big news coming out of this week is that a lot of these kind of big time running backs, yeah, are not going to get the franchise tag. So Ya Sakwon Barkley is not going to get it. Josh Jacobs did he get it? No, not going to get it. Tony Pollard, Derrick, Henry Ausneckler not going to get franchise tag. They're going to be free agents probably. How do you guys feel about that? Because you guys come from like a different era for y'all where the running back was that they do do. They were They were like the.
Speaker 4: Thing that twenty million when I was you know, Stephen Davis was making banks.
Speaker 2: And they were the guys that were the drivers of the offense. And so how do you feel about seeing kind of this departure from that kind of traditional view of football.
Speaker 1: It sucks.
Speaker 4: I think it sucks to me just knowing that you asked the running back to do a little more. Now. I mean, most of these guys are pass catches as well, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 4: You don't have many to You don't have too many of these guys that's just coming in primarily on third down. You have most of your legit guys, like if you look at this list of names, say Kwan Barkley, Paul Up last year was his first year having a fourth time row, Derick Henry could do both, Austin Elker, all these guys can do both.
Speaker 1: John say, all these guys are basically McCaffrey's you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: They can run the ball between the tackles and you put them out there.
Speaker 1: On any route and they're dangerous.
Speaker 4: So when you look at that part of it and say you're actually these guys.
Speaker 1: To say, okay, take less and be happy.
Speaker 4: It's hard, especially some of these guys that come up their first contract, so they getting ready to get the big money and now you're saying that you know you're not worthy of it.
Speaker 1: So I find it hard.
Speaker 4: But also one of the things about this game, nature of the beasts, you have to kind of roll with the punches. And but what I'm thinking when you're saying saying, Okay, these guys are not going to get the fourteen million. If they was franchised, they'd be worth around what fourteen fifteen million, So you say and that no team really willing to do that right now, they wanted to take take a deal. And so who's going to basically set it, set the ball? Say who's going to set the bar and say, Okay, this is what we're worth. And that's when I think it's going to be kind of one of those things that's going to become a problem because it might it might be a guy to there, it might be the guy that set the bar and the other guys feel like, no, I'm worth more. So when we see these guys out, that's the thing that we're not actually hold hold out.
Speaker 2: I dot they hold out, but we would Johnson Taylor kind of do like a shooto.
Speaker 1: Last year, Yeah, kind of.
Speaker 3: But it's one of the things we watched positions be devalued all the time when we got in the NFL, running back was devalued and they was devail you and wide receivers. So at the end of the day, we see this tree in all the time. But guess what come playoff come cold games, guess what were handing the ball off to, Like, come, come, come. If you want to win the Super Bowl, you can't just throw your way to it. You got to run your way to it. So at one point, I think Jonathan Taylor, I think did what we thought Saquon was gonna do, not hold out b D standard like McCaffrey and Jonathan Taylor are the standard. Like I think the best players in your league at the position.
Speaker 1: Set the tone for the position.
Speaker 3: So Jonathan Taylor means so much to the coach that if they lose him, they go a different direction. So to have that value and hold that value, I think the top guys at the position have to make that standard. And maybe the top guys not staying healthy, not doing it, that's making them say I can find.
Speaker 4: Me a check up, but also with what Jonathan Taylor did last year, it shined the light in a different light because Zach Moss went out there and was his backup and performed really well, basically resurrected himself because he hadn't had a first year, you know what I mean. That was kind of holding up to what he was supposed to come in this league and be. So I can kind of honestly say that Jonathan Taylor, it was kind of surprising that they still went on on and say, Okay, we'll give you the deal you want. I'm not sure that's the deal he really wanted, but they gave him something long term. But they could have backfired and win a different round.
Speaker 1: But they also did there because they got a quarterback on a rookie deal. Like the teams.
Speaker 3: That that might need, these guys did one player away. How can they pay this guy when I'm paying Ja Hurts, Yeah, two hundred million.
Speaker 2: Well, so I also think it's you know you, Tennas said. Tennis said a couple of really good things. But one of the things he said is that you're asking running backs to do more, and I would argue that you're actually asking them to do less and what I mean by that, you're asking them to do more in terms of catching.
Speaker 1: The football, pass protect.
Speaker 2: But like, think about like when you guys were in the league, Like who was like the guy like at the running backs, Andrew j Priest, Hall Henry. Yeah, so think about those guys. They're getting thirty touches a game, thirty five touches a game. Right now, when you look around the league, the guys that get that that that kind of workload are Derrick Henry and I think he's there the tail end of his career. Christian McCaffrey and Nick Chubb, and so those guys, when you look at their contract values are I think no one would say they're getting paid too much. They're all making about fourteen to fifteen million dollars a year because of what they mean to their teams. But now I think, you know, you mentioned the quarterback being a little bit more valuable a Tanna. You made the comparison to McCaffrey, like McCaffrey drives that offense, and yeah, San Francisco, right, he's catching the football, he's running the football. And when I look at these other names, right, I think you could maybe make an argument for Josh Jacobs, but does he drive it the same way that Derrick Henry does that, the same way that Christian McCaffrey does. Tony Pollard I think struggled with that this year. Alstin Eckler, I think he's on the tail end, didn't quite get it done from a running standpoint. Obviously catches a ton of balls. Saquan again a guy that's close, but I don't think is in that same tier. So to me, when I look at h I'm saying, there's only three guys in the league that are playing like running backs were in two thousand and one when you guys came to the league. So in some ways like and those are the guys that are making the most money. It's just that the role for the running back is very different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right.
Speaker 4: I mean that's a great point, that's a great way to even look at it. But what I was just saying is not even if you're not the driver, you're not the guy that they running the offense through.
Speaker 1: You out there, you out there that you put your body one.
Speaker 4: You know, whether you're getting thirty carries to twenty, but the touches wise, you're getting forty because they find a way to get you the ball in space and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: To me, that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, These guys have the same skill set of a McCaffrey, not ruler, you know what I mean, not the workload, but the same.
Speaker 3: Skill See did the standard is set by, like say, the top three guys at each position.
Speaker 4: What the office has changed so so so drastically to where you know, we used to those guys saying, okay, the game online, We're gonna run this ball now, game online. We spread them out even more, were putting four wives that we finding a way to get a tight end out there into the passing game and then making that running back be the last you know, last resort or something. So that's how I look at I'm looking at the game has changed. But why you know, devalue these guys because your offense change. They're still allowed to go out there and make a difference if you need to get in that kind of vis So when one position devalues, another position value goes up. I think the tight end position has been the value over the time, and now he's going, well.
Speaker 2: So what I would say this is, this is a really interesting point about football just in general. I think over the last twenty years is you're talking about devaluing positions, So think about it. Tight Ends, I think are getting devalued, running backs are getting devalued. Receiver value is going on. And I think when you look at college offenses, high school offenses, NFL offenses, the easiest player outside the quarterback to feature in an offense from a past game standpoint is the quarterback. And you look around the league you say, oh, well, you know Kittle does a really good job of impacting, or Mark Andrews does a really good job of impacting, or name those three running backs we talked about. But all of those guys have a plan from the coordinator on how to utilize them. Like I look at Kyle Pits, He's one of the most talented guys I've ever evaluated come out of college like awesome, But Arthur Smith didn't have a plan to you for maximizing him, right, So it's to me it becomes a position that that that is now predicated on how my coordinator can utilize my skill set as opposed to a receiver where it's like I know how to do that. I'm very comfort for ball with with maximizing that does that make sense?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: So? Like, That's where I get to the point where it's like, if you're Kyle Shanahan, you have a great plan for Christian McCaffrey. If you're there the OC in Baltimore, you have a great plan for Mark Andrews. If you're any read, you have a great plan for Travis kelcey. But if you're one of these other guys, how do I use you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: He go to great comparison. Who had the better running back in the Super Bowl forty nine ers? It's easy, all right, But who had the better quarterback?
Speaker 1: The kid the City Chiefs.
Speaker 3: That allowed them to have a back that does a little less enough enough to get it done. So they go to value tests right there. The value test is one cannot put me on his back like the other one can.
Speaker 4: And often say the difference between that game was just there's a quarterback that been there before that knows what to do when the time is on the line, to say, okay, all I need to make a couple of plays with my feet to keep us going to get us in you know, in position, and the rest should be history. And that's how I look at that game, because if you had to ask me who played to you the better game, yeah, it would have been San fran I feel like they had they played the best throughout that game, just some key moments right.
Speaker 1: Value right there to me.
Speaker 2: And I think you mentioned Pacheco and attend you said this too about how you have they're out there all the time. But I do think running backs now are getting more specialized. Yeah, and also I think Pachecko is the reason. And who's the backup running back in San Francisco Elijah Mitchell, Mitchell Mitch right, And you know Mitchell is a sixth round pick. Pachecko is a seventh round pick. Like look like Gus Edwards is on this list of our notable free agency, he's a third round pick. Right, you can find Chris Rodriguez is a great example, third round pick. Ryan Robinson third round pick. And I'm looking at the draft this year, there's no like Bijon Robinson, Jami or Gibbs.
Speaker 1: But there's a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of good football players. So it's like, why do I need to mortgage mortgage money on a position that I can get for really and have a really big impact on my team.
Speaker 4: So my next question would be is when when whenever one of these guys, the top guys gets signed, what would be the what would be the line? And that's saying, when it comes to there, you know who what the value should be.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. And so so for me, I guess I'll go first if I if I'm an offensive coordinator and I have a plan for this player. Like let's say I'm Derrick Henry, right like, and I want I really want Derrick Henry, and I've built my team around having a power running back. Let's say, like Dallas my example this, I'm going to be willing to pay him a significant amount of money to get him in there because it's part of my offensive identity, and I have a vision for how to maximize his skill set, right Or Like let's say, like who else is on this list, like Josh Josh Jacobs again more of a power back. Let's say say Saquon Barkley gives a better example. Let's say I want to use him the way they use Christian McCaffrey, and he's going to be a slot receiver. He's going to be a back. He can do it out mismatched weapon. We're going to get to empty with him, We're going to hit him with screens. He's going to get fifty percent of our touches. Yeah, and I go back to what Kyle did with Christian mc caffrey. They give him a ton of draft capital, they gave him a contract exception. Everyone thought they were out of their minds. But he had a plan. And so if I'm a coordinator or a coaching staff or a gem and I've got a vision for that player with that type of dynamic athletic skill set, I'm gonna pay.
Speaker 3: Let's let's let's find the perfect feet. Because when you say sat Kuon Barking, the first thing came in my head. What a beat of the overall? Like, oh, they can dominate. I'm gonna take Shanahan's oftfense with my guy in Miami ud. Let's say we put Sa Kwon Barkley apported at Miami offense, Awesome.
Speaker 1: I think he turns the page for them. But the problem is that you got moist in them.
Speaker 2: They got closer, they got a chane right.
Speaker 1: And you know, go to perfect. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm saying like that's the thing is like Moster was a fifth round pick, just like when you look at the running back position, there are so many good players, right, Yeah, just coming to the draft company of the league every year, you're like, look at the running back for the l A. Rams Williams. They got from Notre Dame. Everyone he was he was a fifth round pick. Yeah, and he led almost let the leg rushing is.
Speaker 4: This is this simplest So basically what's going on right now is most of these guys who are coming in in these great situations. Yeah, these offenses are basically allow them to exploring their you know, their true natural talents. There they sit in the market. Basically, they're actually saying that I could just get on the team and be dynamic within this offense. And that's the market because I don't necessarily have to be that every down, you know, bulldozer.
Speaker 1: Come in here and be talented on the outside and ins.
Speaker 3: Dis similar to what happened in the NBA. I remember when I looked at a center in the NBA and they looked more like Shaq yeah and big Perk.
Speaker 1: And now now because of.
Speaker 3: The overseas, the way they talk to play is big men, I need to be able to shoot, I need to be the dribble now they all like Chit Holnggren and like Winn Bana like so it's it's.
Speaker 1: When it changed.
Speaker 3: I think when the when the game changes, because I really do think when it comes to playoffs, we go right back to the run again.
Speaker 2: You need it. It's still important. You look at teams, every team in the playoff. Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence. Was very effective at running in the football. Look at the Detroit Lions. They've got Montgomery who is a very good player for them. He was a fourth round pick. Right, there's just guy. There's just so many guys available. James Connor for Arizona, the guy a third round pick like that are you don't have to invest a lot of draft capital, you don't have to invest a lot of money, and it's hard. It's hard to find guys like that. I think that that you know are are like these that that have roles where they need to be top end players, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I think just it ain't enough special running backs to set the tone. Like I think it needs to be like seven of them for them to really say he go out value.
Speaker 1: I think if we look at the lead right.
Speaker 4: Now, but I think I think he made it a valid point. Man, it's gonna be guys that offenses allowed him to be especially gonna say I'm gonna pay him that because of that. And then it's gonna be guys, it's gonna be teams that's gonna say, well, I don't need him to be I don't need him to be McCaffrey or Henry. So this is all I needed to be is to be back in a backfield. So this is this is his rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the other thing is is specifically running back is so predicated on your offensive line and blocking surface in general, you know, and utilizations. So like I look at you know, I look at Philly. That's a great example, Like you could you could put any running back back there, damn you. I could play running back for them because they just do such a good job of christ be off I'm gonna de leverage that position. But then I look at San fran and they've paid Christian McCaffrey. They're not able to pay the offensive line the same because Christian McCaffrey makes guys miss, you know, he elevates them, and it's very hard to find that dynamic. So I think it's just it's a it's an interesting evolution of the position of the game. I think ultimately that's why we're not seeing those guys make a ton of money. It's there's a good, good, good players coming out in college and the nature and the role of the position has changed. Just remind you we're brought to you buy bet three six five. At bet three six five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sports should be epic right now. New customers can choose between two offers when they open account at bet three six five. If use a QR code to sign up, deposit ten and choose between either first bet safety and offer by placing about up to one thousand. If you're qualifying bet loses, you receive a match refunded bonus bets or betting get offer and place a bet of five dollars of already got one hundred fifteen bonus bets. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinated. Bet three six five Official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 4: Must be twenty one and o and physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibly if you are someone you know has a gambling problem and knee hip call Fred.
Speaker 1: And Cambler, I need help. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in addition to running backs, you said something there that I thought was really interesting, and it's about quarterbacks. And we got the NFL Combine coming up. Yeah, and we've got a lot of guys, a lot of kind of big name quarterbacks like you for for a draft.
Speaker 1: You know, we got Kill.
Speaker 2: Williams, Jade Daniels, Drake May, and then there's that kind of second tier guys, the bow Nixes, the Michael Pennill.
Speaker 3: I want to say this, shame O'mary Hodges, Shame O'marrah. Did you out here with Mary about Caleb ya know, you know he's said about Drake May. What he said, No, he said that he felt like Drake May was in the first round draft picking they got ripping him apart on sports MARYL.
Speaker 2: Hodges said that about Drake May. And he also said that thing about Caleb.
Speaker 1: Yes, what about what he said about he.
Speaker 2: Said, Caleb Williams is not special.
Speaker 3: Yes, like Mary Hodge could be the hated I thought it was Mayo Kuiper. But I think if your name, Maryll even close, hate is in your blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta fact check that.
Speaker 3: But even half a bad guy on TV and said, come on, Mayrill, like, let's.
Speaker 2: Not do this because I so I saw someone because like you know, he came out with the thing about Caleb and he came out to thinking about Drake and it was that Andyone's like, this guy is the worst quarterback.
Speaker 4: We want to click bait man. That's one of that is working.
Speaker 1: And he hit it on the junkies? Did he yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yes, said Drake may is not said Drake may is not a first round pick.
Speaker 1: Said he's not a first round pick. Not analytic as you think.
Speaker 3: I said, yes, he's two hundred two hundred and thirty five pounds six for a running like he runs.
Speaker 1: That's an athlete.
Speaker 4: Look like me, I don't see what like this is why I hate this time of year.
Speaker 3: Like when you go through the comeback, when you go through the draft process, they are not looking for reasons to draft.
Speaker 1: You're looking for reasons not to bring your value down.
Speaker 3: It's just such a terrible time for at least to see here.
Speaker 4: I listened to none at the least tell the I mean, we all go through that. When they get closer they have a guy that's going to sit out there and basically pick at everything about your game so it could lower your value. Just so that's something that team that wanted you in the first round can get you for a little cheaper.
Speaker 1: It goes on every year. It's terrible.
Speaker 3: I think you know you don't tear you try to tear people down with this stuff.
Speaker 4: You got it, especially after I went out there and showed the world what I could do.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I mean to me, the is always into putting.
Speaker 4: If I put it on film, do me as that dude, whatever I put on tape, view me as him.
Speaker 1: We're gonna say that out that.
Speaker 2: Also, I think this is really relevant because we're gonna talk about guys who are first just you got it. I want to hear what he said.
Speaker 1: You got it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 1: Hate hate hate, all right.
Speaker 5: There are a bunch of things that bother me. He's talking about Drake.
Speaker 2: Okay, every prospect for things, every process.
Speaker 5: Here's the list. He's extremely inconsistent his accuracy and processing or inconsistent. He misses hot routes. He's not extremely athletic, and I find him stiff. He's got a large throwing motion with which allows more hits in our league than he would have in college.
Speaker 1: And I'm just bothered, Mercy. They look he just bother it because his wife kicked him out. What it sound like. It's sound like he.
Speaker 3: Woke up and chose violence, like it woke up and just hate hate, hate or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. It's funny.
Speaker 2: Those things bother me too, though, But there's also so like you're saying, Tanna, there's also like a whole another bucket of stuff that offsets that. And I think that's the thing. Fans, if you're listening to this, please heed this. There are things you can find wrong with everybody.
Speaker 1: Person. Thing is a perfect prospect because.
Speaker 2: Remember it's not a one to one. The NFL and college football are not the same, right, It's a projection. So you're projecting how this guy is going to be. Same thing with Jane Daniels. Do I think they're both good football players? Yes, who's going to be the better pro I don't know. Nobody The problem knows is the NFL has no idea. They're terrible at it. So in the spirit of this of picking things that guys are not good at, we've got the quarterbacks we're talking about Jane Daniels, Kayla Williams, Marvin Harrison Junior, and possibly Drake may are not doing anything outside of the interviews at the combine. If you were first reaction to that, doesn't matter. Is it a big deal I have my thoughts.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've been in no shoes when you have the kind of leverage that most of those guys have. Yep, back when I did it in O one, the pro day wasn't the the it thing. Your pro day wasn't it thing. It was like, come to the combine. Oh, I remember having the guys in my ear, some of those scouts, Well, this is the first this is the only time you're gonna get to see me.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the only time I'm gonna get to compare you against all these other guys.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if I'm coming back down to Miami and I'm sitting up there like, well, you're gonna miss the show, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But it was leverage. It was all about leverage, you know.
Speaker 4: So we had designated a safe I guess you could say a safe haven that we could come here and shrut our stuff because we was that kind of a team.
Speaker 1: And everybody's gonna come down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Miami, and all our things that we did testing wise was already graded because of other guys from other schools that have come and who don't get invited to the combines. They was coming doing their pro days at our school. So when we knew that we was approved by the NFL to use these measurements from forty from the vertical jump all that stuff, We're like, okay, so why would we go to combine. We go to Combine, we'll we'll talk to the interview blah, and then we'll come here and do the same stuff that these other guys who wasn't allowed to go to pro I mean to the combine, who took their tests here.
Speaker 1: And that's why we did it.
Speaker 4: But now as everyone has, everyone has a pro day, So why is it a big problem?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Like to Tanni's point, I think that's exactly right. Like so at the combine, like you know, Jason and I have gone the last couple of years. You know, I've never gotten as a player, but I have guys that go, like guys that I've trained that go, and it is not set up for you to be physically successful now, So What I mean by that is like they'll keep you up until ten thirty at night nine and it is I got to go to the hospital, get my mri. It's eleven twelve o'clock.
Speaker 1: Forget the eye.
Speaker 3: I gotta go get like paints of blood, tut my bone, marrow chick. And then you're gonna give me some chocolate and tell me to run a forty. And that's not doing that, So.
Speaker 4: Take a long thick ass book tests and then talking all right, not go out here and run, like my mind gone, I ain't ready to go.
Speaker 2: So they don't care about your performance there. I mean, they want the number, they want the information. But like I remember, I've been talking to my guys last year there or two years ago, the tight end guys that I was working with, and I was like, oh wait, so they got you. I was it was eleven o'clock at night and they were just getting out of their physical yeah, And I was like, Okay, what do you got tomorrow? You'll be able to sleep in a little bit. They're like, no, I got to get up at seven o'clock because I got.
Speaker 1: To go back to the hospital. And I was like what.
Speaker 2: And then I'm like then you're gonna do then, So the way this is two years ago, then you had to bench press before you ran forty, which I would never do. So why why even risk not putting your best foot forward, especially if you've got the leverage right if.
Speaker 3: You're if you're the top three in year old position coming out had to come back.
Speaker 1: I did all my interviews.
Speaker 2: You should should do, that's important.
Speaker 3: I didn't do anything. My age was like, it ain't nothing you need to do speak for itself.
Speaker 2: So like for Marvin Harrison Junior, for example, when you watch the film, if I'm his agent, I'm like, the only thing that can happen if.
Speaker 1: You go is go down.
Speaker 2: It's bad is you run a four or five and then you're not as fast as people think. And Molik Neighbors comes out and runs a fourteen.
Speaker 1: Home a doomsday come come out him run a faux fo.
Speaker 2: And so you know, this reminds me of like last year or two years ago with Drake London, Like everyone wanted Drake London to run and he was like, I'm not gonna run, and everyone's like he might be slow, and it's like he can either you can either think he's slow or he can actually run, and then you know he's slow, So why do I want that? And it's like he and he was still a top top twelve take. Yeah, he was a second receiver taken, which I'm okay with, right, Yeah, And but if he goes out and runs a four to six, he might not go in the first run. Yeah, Like you know what I'm saying, Like, that's kind of what you're talking about, So why even bother?
Speaker 1: We will it?
Speaker 2: And we're talking about a select group of guys here, Like you know, this is mark. I'm telling Marvin Harrison the cleanest receiver evaluation I've ever had.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be a good pro. Don't do anything anything.
Speaker 2: But if you're if you're key On Coleman from Florida State, Oh doue, Johnny Wilson, you gotta go, Julie, right, go put on a show and like move up the board, right, show people that you got value. And so for the quarterbacks, let's talk about them real quick. I mean to me, it's like, obviously don't do it, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I think so too.
Speaker 4: When it comes to the quarterbacks, they want more of those guys to give you got something to do. Who's sitting there and watching in the stand study. The more quarterbacks we have there, especially premiere guys, we get to see see what these guys got going on. And we're not just up here talking about where we're goin to go have a drink at later on, you know what I mean? I see those quarterbacks, man, and to me, honestly, I've been why I pay close attention to the draft more so now than I did back when I was playing bro. I would refuse to sit there and be waiting in line after all these other guys just so I can say you can grade me.
Speaker 1: That ain't how you're going to really get graded, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's not a that's not a true assessment on what I'm going to be as a player.
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It goes back to that thing like you're looking for things to pick at, Like as an evaluator, we go like last year, all the quarterbacks through because it wasn't a very good year, and so you got to see will Levis throw after Stroud after you know Richardson, right, and you're like, Richardson's not very accurate, or will Lewis doesn't layer three, and you're like oh, and it was really not. It was really easy to go like, oh, like this is great, but ultimately it's not about me.
Speaker 1: It's about the kid man.
Speaker 3: And I always say grading me, how you grading me? Because forty this all fine? Bench press? This all fied. I was looking the other day and they showed that the highest bench presses all time.
Speaker 1: One guy did fifty to fifty a time. They was all bad football player.
Speaker 3: Like I looked down in the list and I said, now, one of these guys ain't have a career, get being a pro bowler, ain't to have a turn on some film, Like I'm so tired of everybody wants you to test you about how fast you are?
Speaker 1: Are you a football player? Is the only thing that mattered.
Speaker 4: To the same way with the guys who hasn't performed for four years or a few years that runs fast forties, Like I've always found it like alarming that you're going to say because this guy ran for one, Yeah, I'm going to jump him in front of all these guys who have better films. Yes, Like honestly he ran for one before he got Yeah, he was on the white him running show me on tape, him keeping up with a guy all past you know, show me that on film. So that's one of the things I talk about. I love the fact that when I went to the University of Miami, everyone came from the pros. All the coaching staff prepared us as we was professionals. They told us what to be ready for. They told us, like, we got it to run our routes. We round every route in college we had. Our tree was all round, round round. CJ say, okay, here's the route tree for the league. We gonna come out our breaks. I mean he he basically made us stop we did for four years and said this is how they're going to grade you. So now we got to plant and go sharp out of everything. But when we got there to the thing, the guy like, oh, get me a round. I just went and did all this other stuff.
Speaker 1: But we was prepared, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's why I say, I look at certain things and I'm like, man, these guys were so much, you know, more than just good coaches, because they had us prepare for everything that the pros was going to want to see from us. And when you get a guy out there and he goes bunkers in a damn damn workout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, he deserved to be a gold gym.
Speaker 3: That's what goal gym full of these guys like I have something that just solidifies everything we were talking about.
Speaker 1: I didn't work out it the comeby. I worked out at Missippi State.
Speaker 3: Everybody knowed the old legend of Fred Smooth during the bench press.
Speaker 1: One time. I did the bench press one time with these long.
Speaker 3: Arms and I racked it and I told him, you ain't come here for a body building you came here for a football player.
Speaker 1: Follow me.
Speaker 3: I went out there, ran my drills, backpedal, ran my forty Oh now you're slobbing at the mouth because now you see that on grass.
Speaker 1: That's where I belong, not in your weight room.
Speaker 3: So at the end of the day, I always asks, guy, do you want guys that's pretty getting off the bus?
Speaker 1: Are you want guy that's pretty? For four quarters?
Speaker 2: And just to get everybody calm down a little bit. Most scouts you talk to, eighty five ninety of it is the film, Like you know, it's the majority of that is the film. The thing that Combine does is it gets you. It lets you know the athlete a little bit better. Like are you like, I think Kwan is a good example, right, Like this is you know, he didn't run a super fast forty, but his vertical was like forty four inches. His broad jump was good. So you're like, even though he's not maybe the fastest guy, he's explosive. He can jumping still out of trouble, and that's supported by the film. The thing is when you see someone really fast and you're like, that wasn't support of the film. Maybe go back and watch. It's like trailing Burks last year or two years ago, Like everyone thought he's gonna run a four three, comes out and runs like a four to six or something. Right, it wasn't very good, and so everyone goes like, oh, and that's and that's a good part of the process because when you look at him in the league, it is a hard time separating because it then't have the juice Kaneil Harry ran like a four to six set like five, Right, I'm gonna have a hard time separating. And so that's where you use that as kind of like, you know, let me go back and just double check the film. Does it support this what I'm seeing here? Or is he okay? Like and now teams. This is the other thing. Teams have so much GPS data from the pads. Like you know, Marvin Harrison Junior, he hit twenty three miles an hour last year or twenty two miles an hour twenty two point five, so I know he's fast in the field. And so again if I'm if I'm Marvin Harrison, and there's a pro reason to back and do that, So I mean there are benefits. And again what I talk about benefits of doing at the prode. For me just thinking about it, it's like I could sleep my own bed, get my own quarterback to throw to me. Right, I'm not in the n Yeah, I'm not at the combine where I'm like in line waiting for my one rep from a quarterback that I've never caught a ball from my life. Who's Yeah, he probably throwing a short because he's trying to show off his arm. He's trying to show stuff off too. So to me, it's just like if you could, if you've got the clout to do it at your prode and you're not like that. Again, I think top three is a really good number there, right, If you're not one of those top three guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like just live your best life. But you guys don't know this.
Speaker 2: But we will be at the combine take of the Draft podcast which is on this podcast network. We will give you all the insight. We'll kind of go over all this drill work and we'll give you the context that you want say is this relevant to the film? Is this not relevant to the film, and kind of give that insight because the guys, those guys that aren't going to test well, like a lot two, lot too, lot too, lot too from UCLA not gonna test well. Yeah, I don't really care because his films.
Speaker 3: Are At first I've been say like I don't care, like this certain stuff like my homeboy Antonio Peers did not get drafted that year when we came out one of the best landbackers in our draft. Why he didn't run well. He did not run well, but you can't test his mental.
Speaker 4: Reggie Wayne ran in for six, he really and he and everybody was trying. He was trying as hard as to get it to be a four, four or five eleven or four or five. And you know, I remember CJ. You know, our receiver coach. He just did a podcast and now listen to me He was like, I'm gonna just gonna be honest with you. Reggie went in for six, But that ain't that I told Reggie Jay Rush ranning for six, So don't be mad about that, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And you look at Reggie Wayning career, I'm like, Reggie, we didn't know you as a fast guy anyway. You caught a BB in the dark every game, you can catch better than anybody in the game. So you you that's what you're grading with certain guys. You wanna come into that combine or come into that pro day say, I'm not looking for him to be speed runner. Oh, looking for him to show me everything that I saw on film now in this form.
Speaker 2: The interview, the gauntlet drill. The other thing I want to just point this is for young receivers, for guys coaching track. When you're running a forty, you're running the track right and your feet get really narrow, right, they get right under it, right under your hips. That's the whole idea, Right, we're trying to gain round vertically into that into that drill. If you look at good route runners, they run with their feet a little farther apart. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, and so that's not maximal velocity in a beach.
Speaker 3: I don't ever run like a track guy. I'm a chaser. Yes, I chase the Santana mouses of the world.
Speaker 1: Show me you have the ability to chase, and I show you a good defensive back.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned Antonio Pierce. And this leads perfectly into our next segment, which is a two thousand and one NFL redraft. And Tonio Pierce was in that draft right along with two other guys, namely it is I it is high and.
Speaker 1: Fred smoot right and I am him.
Speaker 2: And so we're gonna redrafted. And so basically we were like, oh, let's pick one quarterback, one pass catcher, one defensive player, and then two wild cards. The problem is, there's not like that many good.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks never is in a draft like this is a We got three quarterbacks at the top of this draft this year.
Speaker 1: Plus you got Bo Knicks, Michael Penix, you got guys. You got Rattler, Yeah, you got guy. He's in this draft. Like That's why I tell people drafts are up and down.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: And I could say this about my one draft special special lots of talent.
Speaker 2: Well and I think, yeah, it just shows you like some of these guys like Antonio appears is on this list. We got undrafted player, right, Tim Hasselback, undrafted player was a solid pro for a couple of years. And I think Seve Smith, where was he drafted? You remember? Second round? Like think about that, like the good.
Speaker 1: Football players that Chad didn't go to?
Speaker 4: What the third Okay, so.
Speaker 2: For rules, let's do this, so we snake draft. For the stake draft is we go down the list, the person that thing gets to go twice right and then we go back the other way. So in terms of how we're going to start this, we flipped a coin or I just did this in my head.
Speaker 1: That we were going left and right. Nah, we're going to flip a coin.
Speaker 2: Jason says, pick a number one, one, O, two, three.
Speaker 4: Goddamn Okay, oh yeah, how we going this way?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So why do I feel like that just was the most rotten this thing I have seen on live TV?
Speaker 2: So for me, I get to go first. I'm picking a quarterback because the aren't that many good ones. I'm gonna get out of the way. I feel really good about this. Drew Brees, my second round player, Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Let's get them in the building.
Speaker 2: Man, he's gonna set our culture. Feeling really good about it. I love that well.
Speaker 1: I mean, hey, I'm going quarterback right behind you.
Speaker 2: Have you ever met Drew Brees?
Speaker 1: Yes, good class, make play ball. I was supposed to go to Purdue with Drew Brees in college.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Drew is a great dude. Now, he did have a squirrel growing out his face.
Speaker 2: That is a true thing, but also sneaky small squirrel sneaky small guy. You know what I'm saying, He's not big at all because I remember when we played, you play against Orleans. You see him do his like crazy comprehensive warm up where he does like his he does like a live two minute before calisthetics. Yeah, and he like does the He's like you'll see him point through his reads and he's very detailed. But like that's true.
Speaker 4: He's the nerves of all nerves, that quarterback. Like I thought Kirk was one of those nerves. Yeah, Drew was like Drew up be like, oh yeah, he's there. He knows the game. Like it's like, you know, he can probably close his eyes and know who to hit the hot red. You know what I mean like he was just one of those guys. I love watching him and people don't. People for the realize, man, how good he was in San Diego. Yeah, I got a chance to go against those guys when they was real good. L Dan he was there and Drew was there all draft class. It was two thousand and four playoffs, first round. I was with the Jets. We go to San Diego. I love playing Sane me too. For some reason, I scored the first game I had my I had a pub return return in San Diego a year two.
Speaker 1: But we go up there.
Speaker 4: It's no way were gonna beat these guys.
Speaker 1: They are on a high.
Speaker 4: I mean San Diego Chargers are playing well, you got breeze, you got you got l T and we won. I guess it was who was hurt me gam I'm not he didn't get hurt that game. I had Jammer covering me at corner Quinn jam in Texas.
Speaker 1: I had one hundred and uh some yards. I had a touchdown that game.
Speaker 4: It was like one of those games I'll never forget because I tore I tweaked my hamstring on the Wednesday going into the pre Bro and I tweaked my handstream windsday, and I remember the coaching staff disgusted. We play Saturday, and I'm sitting there like, bro the hell, I'm gonna go out here and play. And to the greatest of God, boy, I went out there and put on the show. I mean, I got a device that day, and I made sure my didn't did everything I could do. But no, it's one of those games I remember so y'all. So I'm going second. Since he got Drew.
Speaker 1: Brees, I just always get to man, I got I have to.
Speaker 4: Take Mike Vick, which I don't have no problem with doing. You know, if I was a receiver on his team, I have probably a problem because Mike was throwing that ball entirely too odd early in his career.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna take Mike Vick, all right, who you going with? You get two picks?
Speaker 2: I do ro so I get to it's a snake.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: I ain't got to go quarterback because y'all right, No, I choose with my number one pick, Li Danty.
Speaker 1: And Toomas Dude.
Speaker 2: I love that one. He was awesome, man. People were like, yeah, he like how dominant he was.
Speaker 1: He was just a running back. Whatever you needed him to do. He could get it. It's smooth.
Speaker 2: But also when you're talking about running backs earlier, like he's the guy that kind of set the market, but also set the market and set the standard for the new running backs. Right either way, he caught the football the way he could beat the linebacker one on one coverage, like you the special in that way.
Speaker 3: All right, And my next pick, I choose Fred Smoot from the University of Missisi State.
Speaker 1: These two guys, him and Ladanian.
Speaker 3: Got MVP of the Senior Bowl together, so I make I had to merge them back together.
Speaker 1: Right there, I'm looking at talent.
Speaker 2: It was a little hot, a little high for I understand what you're just saying.
Speaker 1: It's all about what value you see.
Speaker 2: It's true, it's true. So Tenna, what you got?
Speaker 1: Where's your goal? Now?
Speaker 2: You know it's you, So we kind of okay, So well.
Speaker 4: We're going past Catcher. So I'm going to pick myself.
Speaker 1: I actually was gonna pick you.
Speaker 4: So see, I'm going I'm going Tanne Man himself.
Speaker 2: Because Tana in today's NFL really works. That would be so sick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I mean, I mean, I got it's crazy because I look at this, I look at this, this draft group of wide receivers. It's two guys that we don't have on there. Who went who went before me? Is your boy from sat read David Terrell and my man from Seattle Corn Robin Robinson, which was exceptionally you know, was the receivers. David Terrell's career then panned out to be what it was. He went to Chicago. But the reason why I brain is up because if you if you want to go back, you know, don't quote me, just go back and look it up. I was told when I was coming out that if I was called, if I was taller, I would have been the first receiver taking in that class.
Speaker 1: So I'm tall.
Speaker 4: I'm five nine and a half on a good day, five ten. So you know, I say five ten, but I might find nothing to have. So I look back at him like it's crazy because different strokes for different folks. If you look at where I'm going at you know what I mean. If I was taller, be going to Chicago, you know what I'm saying. So I'm just saying I went to New York and that wasn't.
Speaker 1: All that good. But it's all about where you placed. Man.
Speaker 4: It's all about where you land, and you look at some of these careers. Man, for Chad to be letting, you know, in Cincy, that was a great spot for him, great spoff, you know. For for Steve to go to Carolina, that was a great spot.
Speaker 1: You know, that's reasy to go.
Speaker 4: To the coach, that was a perfect spot. So it's all about where you Lamb.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad you brought that up, Ton, because like everyone's talking about these draft picks, and we talked about, you know, for for twenty twenty four, right the draft this year, and like you know, who's the better prospect in this but the kind of the bigger issues to fit in the plan, you know what I mean? And I think this list shows you that. Yeah, you know, to a t there, So am I picking up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joe pick Okay, So I'm glad you too.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you picked yourself, by the way, because I was I was on the fence. It was between you and Steve Smith. So you made it pretty easy for me. Somebody go Steve Smith. Feel pretty good about that.
Speaker 5: The Fred Smooth Killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Fred Smooth Killer, because if we're in the same division, I need a guy that can just crush, right.
Speaker 3: Hey, First of all, I played against Steve around ten times out Fred, which is which is Hey, No, I play Steve like eight times out of the eight times he got me one time like he does on time he shredded me one game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about the you know the game.
Speaker 4: That we all was paying at because he would talk to somewhere that game.
Speaker 1: I was like, wow, not mad at to Steve s not mad. But now I'm gonna one up. He know, I gotta get get to It's a snake draft, dude. Have you ever done a state a right?
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna go with my auxiliary pick here, which is like kind of your wild card, and I'm gonna go Steve Hutchinson, who's maybe the best offensive line I played with in Minnesota, maybe the best offensive lin of history of NFL.
Speaker 7: Okay, so now you liked it, dude, he's like, I mean, Hutchison with that dude pretty gosh don good, like like when you look at like him compared And maybe it's because he was playing at a time where he was like so far ahead everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta know how he does today. He probably maybe he's a little bit more normal, but he was like the best guard in football for fifteen years. Yeah, like you know what I'm saying. And it wasn't even it was like kind of like Trent is now the tackles.
Speaker 1: That's how he was.
Speaker 2: Then he played with Walter Jones right in uh Seattle.
Speaker 1: And Seattle, but in Minnesota he played with big mc McKinney.
Speaker 2: Just pass, just going to from the good tackle to good tackle. So I think he's great. So that that's to me, he's the best player available remaining. Yeah, so I'm gonna go with Steve Hutchins.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice to me.
Speaker 2: Your nerves.
Speaker 4: Too, though, So I'm going with Next would be Richard Seymour. I think, you know, you need defense in this game. I mean, can't just pick all these offensive guys, you know. So Seymour was a guy that I thought highly of, washing them a lot in college, got into the pros and I saw him twice a year.
Speaker 1: I was with the Jets.
Speaker 4: He was, he was, He was in New England, and this dude dominated from the start. I mean it was no question why, no question, It was no question why to me that New England Patriots the earlier Super Bowls. You got to credit the defense and the kicking game or than so Tom Brady, but Tom got him there. Yeah, but they won those games with kicking field goals and that defense was just stout and he was one of the reasons.
Speaker 1: Well, don't forget about his running potn in college, Marcus. Yeah, that's that's what I drive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I draft tool.
Speaker 1: No, he went to Georgia. To Georgia, they was on the same details.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, man.
Speaker 3: They had Kendre of Bailly lineback Lady Jackson j Henderson, right, yeah, j E. J.
Speaker 1: Henderson went to Maryland.
Speaker 2: No, no, the who's the defensive tackle for Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Oh you're talking about John Henderson?
Speaker 2: But you know those two big yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Alright. With my next pick, I choose a brother from my own heart, mister Chad. That's who I want. Silkie Johnson himself taking him off the market, got my wife out. I know, eventually I might have to pick a quarter You don't do it.
Speaker 2: Now, though, because no one's going to pick a quarterback, so you can pick it with your last.
Speaker 1: Pick, brotherly Yeah. Probably. Yeah. So now with my next pick, considering that most of the Hall of Famers are gone, I choose my running mate, my more enemy.
Speaker 3: We was the enemy in high school. We went to rival colleges. It was deuce for Heisman, it was.
Speaker 4: Smooth for Highsue, that's a great love.
Speaker 1: That deuce was a deuce could return punts. Where do you go to school?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Miss him King Lucas, all them tears Metcalf, DK Metcalf Daddy, all of them was on the same team.
Speaker 2: He played on line though. Right, yes, that's crazy, dude, that's that's a good. That's a that's a solid little group right there. Budd Well actually have two running backs, so right.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. But I must say this for my Mississippi people. That year coming out of Mississippi, twelve of us got drafted off Mississippi Old miss and us two running backs.
Speaker 3: Wait, I gotta get the players that because I ain't got no quarterback, I'm had to run them out.
Speaker 2: But l T I mean, is too good? Good? Depends on what you got.
Speaker 5: I got a question, Fred, all right, you have any stories of you and Chad going at it with each other because you're both big person.
Speaker 4: Yes, sorry, going it's a it's a clip. Yeah, that they've been playing for the last couple there, like me and Chad.
Speaker 1: I can say this about Chad. Chad is a fun trash talk like you got some guys this serious, then you got some games.
Speaker 3: He ready to fight coming out of the locker room. Chad more jokingly just joking like me. So I remember when we was at the Senior Bowl. I keep hearing these chirps on the other end because Bill Coway is my head coach, and he like, it's a guy over there working people. N Ain't Chad just you want to go over I was like, Coach, I got my bag with me, baby, So they took me from the South practice, brought me to the North practice so me and Chad could.
Speaker 1: Do one on ones with each other. We can do teens thrill with each other. You're looking at the king him anyway. I can say this coming out of cuts. Ain't nobody quicker than Chad man Like he cut true his feet man, but his feet are unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Man Like I'm sorry, Like he has feet of a bad I will say, you know, I don't like to my horn, but I turned. I would say this about Chad though he did he emphasized his I just did it. You know what I'm saying, Like when it came to just doing stuff at the line of scrimmage. I wasn't doing that. Chad was the best line of scream.
Speaker 2: He was like the first guy that I remember to your point and then actually did.
Speaker 3: All the stuff that they tell you to do, like yeah, but he don't run routes to get to spots like so if you're chasing him, this route could be this, this, this, this, but he gonna get to the point where he's gonna get the ball.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's how Travis Kelsey does it. Now, Yes, relationship with the quarterback is so.
Speaker 4: My next pick, My next pick is none other than my road dog back together Reggie Wayne saying, I thought you're gonna go Bruce Wayne. Yeah, bad Reggie Wayne Man talking about guy catching the BB and the dog. Reggie one of those guys. You know, he's up the Hall of Fame to last what.
Speaker 1: Four five years?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll get this call. I know, deep down inside Reggie pissed. But look, man, it's gonna he it's I mean, well, arguably right now, what top ten?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I think he's top ten when it comes to all all those guys up there. Now, I think he's nine. No, matter of fact, he's nine, and if I'm not mistaken, Andre is ten. Andre got called before him.
Speaker 1: So it hurt him so bad. Yeah, but you know what, it's a little different.
Speaker 4: And I'm not the guy to tell you who should get picked for the Hall of Fame or not, because I don't understand how they do it. But when you look at all the players, and you look at who dre had, but it was just him, so I guess that's why they gave him a note. But Reggie gonna be in there without a doubt. And it'd be good to say if we ever played again together, it probably wouldn't be good because I know Reggie. He ain't want to share that ball of the time, and he played with a guy who he wanted to shit the ball with him and Marvin, so he made up himself. It was funny to see that he went to a guy that treated him like he treated me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but no, I.
Speaker 2: Love to get a guy like Reggie the you know, and this will be the last round, right, your last two picks, so I need help guys, best defensive player from your class because this is where I wanted to pick Fred, But Fred picked himself in the first round, aren't you let No one saying but like is the gardens lists that were not there? We're not thinking because you mentioned.
Speaker 1: In all Chris Jenkins, Damn Morgan, Damn Morgan. Who's then he's a GM? Now for Carolin? Yeah, I mean, yeah, he's a gym. What's the name bell? Who else I'm thinking about? Think about defensive guys.
Speaker 2: So who's better a Wilson Chris, Chris Jenkins or Shawn Rodgers.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. That's a good one, great one.
Speaker 2: Chris got hurt, Yeah he got hurt, but he was his peak was better, better than.
Speaker 1: But Seawn just played at the same level for a long time.
Speaker 4: We ain't put your boy in there too. Safety from Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Oh Roy Roy Rock came out a year after us. It was with us, No Rock came out of here.
Speaker 2: I remember Adrian, he.
Speaker 1: Was good. I think, uh playing in Arizona all them years.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go. Sean Rogers. I think here, I don't. I don't love that pick, but I think it's gonna fill in these and be healthy for a long time. You know, get some that drushers later in the draft. You got one more right, that's that's the war. Yeah. Then I'm going to Adrian Wilson's problem, Solvey.
Speaker 3: Adrian Rinson. Beast didn't get out of love. He's supposed to because he was in Arizona when Arizona won.
Speaker 1: Good. So I guess when my last pick out your it's not you on me, man, boy, hold you brushes. I don't know what kind of snake is this.
Speaker 4: I'm going with with none of the other than the best running back in the state of Florida when we was coming out of high school, Trif Henry Travis Henry, Yes, sir, all Florida. That boy toe Tennessee up and down and got in the leader and he was taying.
Speaker 3: Buffalo, Hey, listen, could running the ball powerful pound seen in a long time.
Speaker 1: Now he is not.
Speaker 3: Cutein no beauty contents. Now you ain't pulling him out for Saturday Night.
Speaker 1: You ran that rock? Yeah all right?
Speaker 5: So yeah, Fred, before you go, Fred, just so everyone knows, this is the fifteenth pick. This is where Washington picked.
Speaker 1: Rod Garden won.
Speaker 5: So if we read yeah, that was Rob Gardner.
Speaker 3: I love Rod Gardner. That's my homeboy. We call him family. But I had just played against family. In the Peach Bowl Clympson versus Mississippi State, and he had as many catches as.
Speaker 1: A dead man. And they chose him before me and chose him before Tanna.
Speaker 2: That is the crazier one. Hey.
Speaker 3: We had Michael Ristbrook on the team at the time, so you didn't need no big body. We had Kevin Lockett Lockett sons that play in. We had Kevin Lockett, all right, so we didn't need We did not need a big receiver. We need a speed receiver. It So I'm gonna clean all that up because I still gotta take a quarterback right here.
Speaker 1: And y'all didn't leave me.
Speaker 3: Much as I looked down here, pretty much, Jesse Palmer, I apologize for ruining your career.
Speaker 2: I ruined you don't want that one on, no, but I ruined his career, all right, this is the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah this could, sir. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I played against him in Florida Missippi State and we blew him out by forty points him to never play again.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, pretty boy, just ran into the wrong smooth at the time, all right. Sage Rosen felt my draft partner.
Speaker 3: We got drafted the same year. I love Sage Rosen felt had a long career. All right, it's a back up and it spot played on some times.
Speaker 1: Old man winky Chris Winky.
Speaker 3: Oh man, all right, and that's where I'm gonna go with my pick. I could have went Tim hasselback, but Tim ain't here. The other hasse back, nobody, nobody goes in the store looking.
Speaker 1: For a t.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're playing on the upside though, you know.
Speaker 1: Chris Wink Yeah won the Heisman, snoop me and his roll dog.
Speaker 3: He was just an older guy. He ain't had no hair, kind of like yours. All right, I'm going old man wink.
Speaker 2: Chris Winky, So just to review Jason right away wrote him down. All right. So here we go.
Speaker 5: We're redrafting two thousand and one. This is how it pans out.
Speaker 2: Fe pretty good about you have Drew Brees awesome.
Speaker 5: Steve Smith, Sean Rodgers, Steve Hutchinson, Adrian Wilson, pretty good, pretty good job, Santana. You have Mike Vick, love it yourself, love that, Richard Seymour, Reggie, Wayne, Travis, Henry Battle.
Speaker 1: He ain't come on now with me, all right, Fred.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jahnson Ye, Danny and Tomlinson Todu miscal.
Speaker 1: Mcallison pronounce the right. Yeah, yeah, I got yourself big player and with.
Speaker 5: The fifteenth pack Washington Tuck, Chris Wink.
Speaker 1: I had to I would force it to it. I was forced to take bow knicks.
Speaker 5: Are there any other players in the UH in the draft with you? I came out in two thousand and one. You just want to give honorable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would say Dan Morgan, Damien Lewis, those two of my miamiro on the mats. They went before me in the draft. I was sixteenth, they was. I believe d Lewis ten and Damn Morgan cracked the top ten. I think he was like seven or or six or something like that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna hit you with one. You ain't think about Woodrow Damnslow. You remember Woodrow was quarterback for the UH for Clemson, end up being a return man for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: I do remember what Qristy Cotta, Christy Carter, Colorda Quarks scrot like. I got. It's so many dudes that came in. Who the one pull on the belt? UH from Freddy Minchell.
Speaker 3: Listen, Freddy Mitchell like it was so many in our class class with one of those classes.
Speaker 2: Is this Andre Carter that I played with? Yes, yeah, yeah, good dude, great dude.
Speaker 1: They caught out to Drake Man Drake coming out of college.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, I mean he was the end. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See he played with us when he went in the right system, Drake backing up in covering man coming off that end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he gets get to hunt the quarterback. That boy was a beast. Alex Brown A lot of guys man, good class. Good.
Speaker 2: You guys got good memories. I didn't even know. I name three people from my class, but I didn't have the same kind of relationships you guys had with those guys. And now, if you're watching on YouTube, the special guest has arrived.
Speaker 3: Exactly drinks like he had a picnic selby time in Tampa, and it is time.
Speaker 1: It is time for the Great Bakeoff.
Speaker 2: What round is this guy's I don't even know.
Speaker 1: The fifth round?
Speaker 2: The fifth round, the fifth round of the bakeoff? And what are we baking? Boys?
Speaker 1: All right, we're baking butter cake? And I had this is what happened.
Speaker 3: I called my sinsey chief and I said, since I mean a battle this week, what should I do? And he said, son, utilize the things you have, and you have the best stove, you have the best pots and pants.
Speaker 1: You utilize those things and let it come to you padal one. So that's what I did here. Here's you know. The thing is his sense was the cashier wagons and what she told you make sure you take it out of this and put in your own contrainer. Yea freeze about three hours before you cook it.
Speaker 3: I love Wegmans, and they think I go there and just buy stuff. No, I go to Wegmans because it's God's kitchen. If God had a kitchen, and it look like.
Speaker 2: Exact man it's getting after. Zach has been pretty hostile on this one. Like the hostility it feels like Steve Smith coming out here.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, I beat him up so early in these battles that he finally got a victory with the cookies, which I got a blind ain't he can make cooking.
Speaker 1: So I didn't give him no love, and now he wants to try to get it out a lot about you.
Speaker 3: You know when the coach tell you it ain't no such thing as a thirty point test down, like you got to take it one. What you're saying you know what I'm saying. Like he wants to try to win everything in one cookoff.
Speaker 1: He can't do it.
Speaker 2: And the smelling here right now is tremendous.
Speaker 1: That's mind by my gas went. That's the cake by the.
Speaker 2: Way, dude. All right, so Caroline, I think we're ready for pie with pie cakes, but.
Speaker 1: A cake very different. Actually they're very different. Did you heat mine? Caroline? I could feel it. It's hot. Okay, we all get them, take one down and pass it around.
Speaker 2: But they know which You guys can't comment on this, right because you know who's friends first.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no no, we're not letting you do any of that. You're not coming here running anything. The blind taste, I say, you're not running anything.
Speaker 2: That's fine, all right, I don't even know. Let's see let's see what we got here, all right.
Speaker 1: So they looked a little different. They are different. They are different. Yeah, he does look like the one you buy that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: Mmm? Did Jesus Maamy there? M all right, I've never had buttercake before. M Triangle's pretty solid, man, that kind of southgle's pretty solid. Say the top two? Well? Geometry?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah, okay, So there's two, there's sup there'shoes. There's two here, right, I don't even know how to describe them. So like it's a gooey and it's a rectangle, and then there's a triangle. The one with that is the rectangle has a a very sugary sauce on top, brown sauce. What do you think, Carolin, is that good? That's not appetizing? And then it's not the other one. The other one looks like a keishe kind of it looks like a kish What do you think?
Speaker 1: One is too sweet?
Speaker 2: Meaning they're pretty good? Actually, both of them. Let's see one more time. And so I don't even know what a buttercake is supposed to taste like.
Speaker 1: So we didn't lost this for it started? Did what's your buttercake taste? I'm just going on with what I like? It's better.
Speaker 2: A right, Tanna, which one you like better? Don't?
Speaker 1: Which one you like better? I like the brown one, the square, the square, the.
Speaker 2: Square, I have to say the square too, not me? No, what was one?
Speaker 1: Do you like better? Triangle? So did you make the triangle? Don't you don't ask that question right now? I just like the triangle Zach.
Speaker 3: Wait, come on, Caroline, come on here, come on, come on. Yeah, it is all about do you like a sugar rush?
Speaker 1: Do you like substance? It is very sweet, Like it's kind of too sweet. I'm gonna have to put it down.
Speaker 2: But are they are they supposed to have? Is the butter cake supposed to be sugary on top?
Speaker 1: It depends on who depends what makes it makes. I like to make mine for grown ups. He makes his for kids. So it's a difference. See mine is for a steakhouse five star. His is for like the outback interesting, yeah back, interesting, long hand.
Speaker 2: Square, Caroline says emphatically square, like didn't even like, not even a moment's hesitation.
Speaker 1: I'm just you know what, it's pretty good. I see, I see what's going on. No, it's not even that. It's a mutiny. And and the thing that's crazy. I knew who Cake was.
Speaker 2: What did you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I knew him, But it's not even I you know, I'm one of the guys. I ain't gonna lie to you. I'm gonna tell you the truth. Friend Zone is good, but he he might have a point.
Speaker 1: I love sugar and it tastes FI mean somebody got a broom over.
Speaker 4: Zach's back, the Zach attack, eat back a broom. First of all, you like better mine. He's too sweet for me.
Speaker 2: It is very sweet, like I don't want.
Speaker 1: That much sugar. Like I couldn't. I couldn't like finish it. Let me taste like, listen, I say this taste at the at the door. Yours did taste a tad.
Speaker 2: Better, right, I said objectively, I said it's sustainable eating experiences.
Speaker 1: I just said I couldn't. I couldn't finish it if I wanted to. Let me tell you my philosophy and desserts. It's very sweet. If I'm gonna eat dessert, I'm not eating it to be healthy in my eating. I'm going in. I'm going all in. All of the chips are on the table.
Speaker 3: I just feel like I make mine for grown people and grown me. You gotta take a littlely sugar out of that.
Speaker 1: So where we at when it comes to three to two?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: It's actually two to two? One?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, Yeah, it was a tie. Pumpkin was the first first one we did. Did I make pumpkin pie, made sweet Tata pie. He made the purple the purple sweep tat it was very good.
Speaker 2: It better. Yeah, I had one of them.
Speaker 1: Man, you're back square. You came with vengeans on that one. That was good. That's right? Did I feel like that that buttercake was that good?
Speaker 3: Because if I go to What's this is what I'm gonna do because these you know, you know, they ain't even ate buttercake. So I'm gonna go get them a steakhouse butter cake. And I'm gonna bring them a professional made butter cake. And y'all gonna see that he is.
Speaker 4: But what it is though, And like I said, I don't know buttercake. But like I said, I went off just what my taste bugs like. And if I was at the steakhouse, yours are straight. You always you're a baker. I don't realize you're being there with you being there with your little apron on this.
Speaker 2: This is the first he has got me though. This is the first time I actually think Zach's texture is better. One of the first times. It's like nice and and soft, USU little dense, which is you have not done a dense cake.
Speaker 1: So you would vote too.
Speaker 3: I was vote with the left hand that was sponsored by local alcohol.
Speaker 1: So I think so Selby emphatically.
Speaker 2: Emphatically Selby, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying time that.
Speaker 2: That was the first like clean one.
Speaker 1: Though I'm voted for him, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Look at you being the bigger guy.
Speaker 3: That's that's really that's one thing as a cornerback when you get the world see it right, you're used to it.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you want lessons, you can come by my place anytime, Zach, we can my joke and bounced in. Man, that's what he did. And I want child to to know that whispering is rude.
Speaker 2: Your glue.
Speaker 1: Man, Whenever you say down stuff, beings stick to you. Right.
Speaker 2: So I think that's gonna do it for today. And also, just I got to point this out. We have another avenue of our media department. They do the commander's logs and they do a really good job kind of getting behind the scenes information on this. Right. So there's a great clip that I think Jason's going to put in here about Joe Gibbs's involvement in some of the process in terms of like his input. And you know, everyone loves Joe Gibbs. Everyone loves seeing a little bit of ja. They say it a good job. And I don't know how they get this access because we have such hard time getting access, but they have so much information that they've got on camera. So if you like the Commanders, you want to see kind of this new coaching higher process, please make sure you check out the Commander's Log, which is a great show. I watch it whenever it comes out. When's it come out, Jason, It's like kind of whenever they have content. Yeah, so you got to make sure you're subscribed.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's not a regular thing because it's a they're long term projects. So whenever they come out, makes you check them out. And I think that's going to do it for today's show. Thanks so much for joining, Zachary. Congratulations, Thank you, Fred, really solid.
Speaker 6: I always wanted to coach someplace where football it's really important too. It's really important there, yes, because you've got the.
Speaker 1: Most powerful city in the world.
Speaker 6: The only thing that brings that city together is that football team.
Speaker 1: And I love that part of it because, yes.
Speaker 6: There's pressure there, yeah, man, but you want it to be something special out there. It's special, isn't That fan base? They're ready, they want to come back, they're ready to and so I think you've gotten. Honestly, I think you got the best coaching job in the world.
Speaker 4: We are brought to you by BET three sixty five. At Bet three sixty five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sport should be epic. That's why we offer an end game experience which covers over seventy eight sports and seven hundred and eighty live streams two ninety million customers worldwide.
Speaker 1: Our online betting brand is.
Speaker 4: Powered by a world class proprietary product and over seven thousand employees across the globe. Whatever sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. At Bet three sixty five, the official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders must be twenty one plus and physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 1: Please gamble responsibly.
Speaker 4: If you or someone who has a gambling problem and wants helped, call one eight hundred Gambler.
Speaker 2: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.