Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Hi Guys Speak Shift production of iHeartRadio. It's a podcast where we take a deep dive into America share consciousness. It's crazy that we've done this show thousands of times. I've pasted a couple of days of taken my eyes off of the text and forgotten the whole chunk of the first sentence about saying this season episode, yeah, this season, in this episode anyways, today, May fourth three? Yeah, May the fourth be with you and also with you and with your spirit is mercy and Durath forever.
Speaker 2: Thanks beings and yours. Also National Self Employed Day, World Password Day, Bird Day, Bird Day. Also National Candied orange Field Day. Who the fuck is that? Okay, whatever, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Have to get national candied Orge, Big National candied Orge Peel having their way with us again?
Speaker 2: Who did that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Is that like just big orange is way to be? Like, how can we take the refuse from our industry and then give it a second life?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like that, or like somebody who's really into candied orange fields and has a personality disorder and it's just like nobody gives me my propers when it comes to how good these damn things are.
Speaker 4: I don't yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: For whatever, any kind of citrus peeled type candy. I'm like, this is absolutely not for me. But anyway, if it's for you, then hey, get down, today's your day.
Speaker 1: Tricking me into thinking my garnish is edible for years, you ever had like one of those ones that's like candied like flash, you know, it's just like super hard, like slices of lemon or lime or orange. You try and chew it and it's might as well be chewing like a piece of wax fruit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do it all the time. So my favorite past come.
Speaker 1: You guys ever seen this year has been heard about this. My name is Jack O'Brien aka, Hey Chucky, You're the cane, You're the king. It's your new thing. Hey Chucky, Hey, Hey, hey hey Chucky. Oh Chucky, you're so lucky, you're the king to be. You take me by the heart, pledging to you on TV. Oh Chucky, you're so lucky. Sovereign of the lance getting coronated using tickets on demand that is courtesy on the discord.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 1: He had a part after that that I say, like I just don't know the song well enough, and I didn't do the work to know what I was supposed to do after that, But okay, thank you to Rezaik. Great work in honor of our royal coronation coming up in a mere days.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about me.
Speaker 2: It's Miles Gray, the Lord of Lancasham, the true king of the North Hollywood. Okay, great to be here. Thank you so much for having me. Jack thinks so much for having You're welcome.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for you to thank me for having on our show.
Speaker 2: I know people been handing me notes. You're like, Jack would really like it, he.
Speaker 1: Would really appreciate it this time. Maybe I'm like, Okay, show a little fucking gratitude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, and I will do the Homage of the People later for you, Jack, where I will, I will swear fealty to you. Well podcast domain.
Speaker 1: Miles, We're thrilled to be joining our third third seat by someone who this was probably must must be excited about the what is it? The Fealty of the People, The.
Speaker 2: Homage of Peers homage of the People, Homage of the.
Speaker 1: Homage of the People. It's a film programmer, a curator, a podcast host, and an author of the upcoming book Unlikable Female Characters, the women pop culture wants you to hate.
Speaker 4: It's Anna Botska.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 4: I'm terrified, terrifyin guys. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you for being here. And you are in London.
Speaker 4: I am indeed.
Speaker 1: How are you preparing for His Royal Highness's royal coronache.
Speaker 4: Well, I am preparing to avoid central London during that entire day. Okay, I'm prepared to be in hiding for that day, trying to make sure to avoid the monarchists on my way around town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can be a little overwhelming. I get it to just like see God's one true big boy, Yeah, one true representative here on earth. I get it. You'd want to kind of hide, let it, let it be a slow kind of wash over you.
Speaker 4: But I know, you know what, I somehow and always end up in countries where there's royal families still pottering around. And I don't know how I've managed to do that in my lifetime. I grew up in Spain, I grew up in Spain where there's a royal family. Right, they don't really do much, but they're there. They provide some gossip. And then I moved to London. Obviously there's a big monarchy in the UK. So now I'm just kind of mildly entertained by them. But it's the pageantry, man, I kind of I was amused by it at first, and now I'm like, no, what appointments are being canceled? Stuff's not's happening. Yeah, we get a buying holiday, but I'm like, I'm a freelancer. I'm still gonna have to work on Monday. Right, I'm not going in to salute the new king because, right, someone has to work. Well, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: You brought up Fana because Jack and I both have been there, you know, cultured people. Whereabouts did you grow up?
Speaker 4: Oh? So I grew up in Barcelona and I lived in Madrid before moving there. Where did you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did, oh, whereabouts, like in the city, in the city.
Speaker 1: I was sixteen years old and don't remember much of it other than that the nineteen ninety six NBA Playoffs we were on at that time, and so I was watching that with the Spanish commentary and that that was a blast. I do remember it was a beautiful city, had an amazing time, but I don't remember anything about the geography whatsoever.
Speaker 4: That means, it's a good time. It's still the best city in the world. Man, if you go again, just yeah.
Speaker 2: In the summer, I was in Barcelona for a little bit fantastic Salona.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love Catalonia. I love I love the energy of the Catalonian people out there, and it just feels like La to me because it's like a beach town everyone. I'm more in the sense of like the energy, like California type, like people are a little more laid back. But then when I went to Madrid, felt a little more like you're in the city now. I was saying in Malasania.
Speaker 4: When I was in Madrid, I love Malasania.
Speaker 2: That's so weird.
Speaker 4: I always felt the opposite. I've never been to La though I might go to this fault, but I've always felt I don't know, Barcelona was a bit more uptight, whether it's Madrid was much more chills. Maybe that's so because I went to Uni there.
Speaker 2: Ah, that might be my perspective, just as a you know, like tourist who was on holiday and just drinking a ton. I'm like, oh, this is so laid back.
Speaker 4: Next time you're in Madrid, or if you ever in Madrid or Barcelona, let me know. I've got all the best places map down. Okay, perfect, you you will not be sober for the entire time you're there. Oh perfect. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that also ahead of its time, and that I started seeing like Nazis for the first time there like five years before they started appearing in the United States. There were like swastikas everywhere, at least around the places that I.
Speaker 4: Was where are you hanging out? Who are you hanging out with?
Speaker 1: Exact Madrid, there's just like a public park where all the kids were smoking hash and hanging out like on Friday night, and there was like a gang of skinheads there and I was like, man, that's that's real. And then sure enough sign of things to come for the rest of the.
Speaker 4: World right here in our own backyard. Hey who fair?
Speaker 1: Yes they have all right, And we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of the things that we're talking about today.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about.
Speaker 1: We found out a little bit more maybe on why Tucker got fired. According to Fox, they have a they dropped a new piece of evidence into the picture. Say it's an interesting piece of evidence. Doesn't change what I think about Tucker Carson, but it does confirm some suspicions I think for me.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about McDonald's child labor violations, being that that being like mild a real thing that had.
Speaker 2: Ten year o'donald's McDonald's And we're going to Fryer at two am, so we'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about baby names, Miles. You just went through. It reminded me of the process of going through the naming of a baby, and apparently the game has changed since came out. Yeah, so we'll talk about that. We might even talk about why Utah people are having trouble jacking off today, all of that plenty more. But first and uh and by the way, to so, did I pronounce your name right? Is it Bogatska, It's buckets Kaya, it's book at Skaya.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're about pronunciations to your last episode of Final Girls.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I've for fucking some reason I heard it like I listened back to it five times and maybe you just maybe it.
Speaker 2: Was like a weird.
Speaker 4: Busky Okay, yeah, that's don't don't worry about it. It's been pronounced in so many different ways.
Speaker 1: It's so buckets kaya. I was gonna be like everybody, just so you know, it's spelled differently than it's pronounced. It's it's spelled buggets kaya. So go Google find the book anyways.
Speaker 2: Leave it all in silent why, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess I can't trust the podcast. An We do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 4: I mean, I considered this for so long. You have no idea how deep I went into my own search history for this show. Okay, but honestly, the last like ten to fifteen searches have been different iterations of slutty little knees, So there is I was, yeah, but actually it wasn't actually even the pictures. It was trying to find who had coined the term slutty little knees, going deep into Twitter, being like, what depraved mind, depraved and brilliant mind coined the term sully little knies And.
Speaker 1: How poetic soul.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's my people.
Speaker 1: Oh you did you found out because we were talking about this with the There was somebody who had a full body orgasm during a La Philharmonic performance and we were like, man like, whoever tweeted? Okay, I just heard someone have a full body orgasm. That was the headline for everyone. It was just like the anonymous authorship of the Internet. Like one person came up with that, and every fucking major media outlet went with that wording. But slutty little news is is perfection.
Speaker 4: We're doing fiction.
Speaker 1: Who's the author?
Speaker 4: So this is a oh god. I went through like the Esquire videos, the TikTok rabbit hole, but I think it was this person on Twitter at Joel's guitar. Yeah, and their description is full time slut for Joel Miller, which I also think is a great a great profession. Yes, that's the origin point. It's one thing about Petri Prescal is that he will pop his slutty little knee out.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So this is in reference to Peter Pascal's Metropolitan Gallivant outfit, wherein he's wearing shorts with his long red coat, slight little knees hyked up socks looking good. Wait, who's the who said? Can you repeat the quote guitar guitar.
Speaker 2: But character in Last of.
Speaker 1: Us Character and Last of Us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's also it's about the Last of Us and the Mandalorian. He has this go to pose where he pops his knee out and expensively into the into the distance.
Speaker 2: Love that love that love that knee. Love to see more, you know, more like knee positive content out there. Then.
Speaker 4: Also, I just love when the Internet collectively decides to thirst over someone and it or something very specific. It's like, oh, we really we're really hot for like someone's ear lobe, and then we're going to create obsessive content just about that. That's where that's in the Internet for good and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like someone comment on someone's meaty, meaty ear lobes in a recent episode of Succession and oh yeah, like Barnacle meat Yeah, like Barnacle. That was a brilliant little piece of poetry, Barnacle.
Speaker 4: That's Tom to shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tom is on a tear. Tom is on a Jimmy Butler like tear. Right now in this season what what is something? And you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: Memoirs honestly, not to get to d but like everyone needs to. The entire publishing industry needs to stop giving book deal to random people who have a big Instagram following or have been in like a reality TV show. It's like, not everybody has a life story that needs a book. Not everybody wants to write a memoir. Can we stop wasting paper and wasting money and wasting space for these memoirs to exist? I just I hate them. I hate them. I especially when, like, you've had a very nice life, you don't need to write about it. You don't learn anything, nothing's happened to you. Why do you need to share even if you don't want to. If someone just throws a bunch of money at you and be like, oh, just with your entire uninteresting life in book form, just say no, It's fine, you don't need to.
Speaker 2: Right, But how else will people know that I was struggling before I was on Love Island? You know? I want people to know the depths that I went until I rise to the top.
Speaker 4: You know what, why not do like a really good Twitter thread, like a really profound Instagram story. It's not a book, it's not a book. Get a substack exactly do that.
Speaker 2: We don't need to fucking print. We don't need to have the printed word like that to talk about the just mundane aspects of your life. I agree, Like I there are times when you see books on his shelf and like, why the fuck would anyone care about this person's memoir? But clearly, like to your point, when there are like because I'm sure it's like how publishing would work the same way, how like executives work in hard Like that person has a hall like a following that'll translate to sales. Spoiler alert, it usually doesn't, and then they're like, oh the fuck did we fuck that up? Can't be because I'm completely unimaginative in the way I'm developing things or what projects I green light.
Speaker 4: Can't be that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's also taking taking up the work of a talented writer, Like I mean, the memoirs are not written by the memoists. The character recover frequently. You know, the person who got famous for Love Island is not necessarily an inherently talented writer, and so therefore they have to hire a talented writer and be like yeah, yeah, more on your sci fi dystopia later, right now, we need you to write a biography of this twenty.
Speaker 2: I don't know who Octavia Butler is, and that sounds cool, but I think this person you should write about their life. Okay, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: What we're talking about right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I needs less influence from Octavia Butler and more influence from I was trying to come up with a vapid celebrity named Octavia Octavia. I don't know.
Speaker 4: All Octaber's are good, pretty good. Yeah, the Octavius and the Public Eye are good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there a bad Octavia?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: Okay, this might be niche, But do you do you guys ever get British television over there?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Over here in yeah, in the towns. Yeah, I mean we get certain things for sure.
Speaker 4: So I watch a lot of films for work, right to give you some context, Like big chunk of my job is just to like watch films before they come out, like for festivals or for reviewing whatever. So I'm like constantly watching things during the day for work, dream job. But that just means that by the end of the day, I'm like I can't watch anything else, Like my eyeballs are gonna melt out of my head. And when I get to watch something for fun, like for no reason whatsoever, it's not new, I don't have to do anything about it. I could just like put it on while I'm just chilling or cooking or something and just enjoy it for the sake of it. I get fully obsessed with it. And the last thing, and I'm very late to this. It's a British crime show called Happy Valley. I genuinely need this to be succession levels well known.
Speaker 2: That was the one where like the like the murder of the cops daughter gets out of prison. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it was on Netflix. I think it was that they distributed on Netflix here in the US.
Speaker 4: It's a BBC show. It finished this year. Came back to it after a decade and they finished it. And it's just like cranky, self righteous older women police officer in North in the North of England, and it's fucking phenomenal, just the writing and the performance. It's so violent. It's like so grimy. And I love horse and I'm not like scared all violence on screen, but oh my god, it is filthy and I loved it and it's like gone down this massive Robert Home. Who is everyone in the show? Why have I never heard of this? Why have I never seen this? I want ten shows with this woman. I'm obsessed with her. I just want everyone to hear and watch The Valley.
Speaker 2: I've only watched the first series and I know there's like three now. So now I'm like, because I really loved uh Sarah Lncashers And yes, I was like, it's because my mom is like a huge like BBC Mystery, like Prime Suspect Addicts. Since I was a kid, so like I was, that was always ambiently on in my house. So she'll be like, you have to see a Happy Valley. So I heeded her advice when it first came out. But yeah, I'm looking forward to the other two.
Speaker 4: It's amazing. It's like eighteen perfect episodes. Yeah, have you seen a Jack or No?
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 4: No, it's really well done.
Speaker 1: There was like a show from America I think that came out around that time though, was happy Something and it was like a bet wasn't like a weed comedy or something. Oh that's what I had it confused with. Is there that she doesn't like open a just Nah.
Speaker 4: No, that's Weeds. Isn't that weird?
Speaker 1: No, No, not Weeds. It's a show that was like a prestige comedy in the US, and I forget. I think I just got my wires crossed in my brain at some point.
Speaker 2: And yeah, no, she's like, it's about this this police officer who, like the first series starts off with her backstory, is like her daughter died and she suspects that this guy who's getting out of prison had something to do with her daughter's death. And then like she gets obsessed with this guy and it opens up. It's just it's it's it's pretty good. It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: They're just like a kidnapping and they're like small town politics and there's class issues and everybody just hates each other and nobody speaks with a Yorkshire accent, which is lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got to go hospital now.
Speaker 4: I'm like, wow, you're going, you're going hospital.
Speaker 1: Oh that's just British in general, right, don't they say? Go?
Speaker 4: They do?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But the math, Yeah, you're doing maths, not just one. How are you gonna know the difference between doing one math and multiple.
Speaker 2: Because we're stupid, Because it's mathematics. It's not like we do mathematic you know out here.
Speaker 4: So look, you.
Speaker 1: And Anna, you have a you know, while we're talking about memoirs, you have a book coming out that's a not a memoir.
Speaker 4: About it not a memoir, it's it's a it's essentially a book of essays about unlikable female characters. So it's pop culture history. It's pop culture criticism, but without you know, your usual kind of film critic mindness. I wrote it kind of for people who might be interested in film but perhaps haven't ever read like a film history book, and it basically looks at what makes a female character unlikable. So it's like, you know, the bitch and the slut and the shrew and the crazy women and all these like really negative connotations and tropes that sometimes are implicit in characters and why we still love watching them and why they make up some of the most memorable and popular female characters ever on in movie and TV history. So I kind of look at all or as much as possible, or film history and TV history and a little bit of music, like from the nineteen thirties in Hollywood to literally the day I had to give in the final draft of the book. So I was writing right up up to the wire of stuff that was ary TV.
Speaker 2: Who's the most current Who's the most current character that is included in the.
Speaker 4: Book colleb Shivroy from Succession? So I wrote it. Sadly I could not include the fourth season because I finished way before it started, way before it was even finished, I think before they finished shooting it. But all up into the third season it's there, okay, Yeah, And their shows like The Flight Attendant and Debt to Me and An Unreal Fleabag, and then also a lot of older movies like Fatal Attraction or Gong Girl, you know, and like even movies from the nineteen thirties like I'm No Angel with May West, and like stuff from the nineties like The Last Seduction. So it really kind of jumps between stuff that we're saying now on Netflix and other streamers to stuff that you might not be aware of, I don't know about, and all the recognizable ones in between, like from the nineties.
Speaker 1: In the two thousands, did the revelation that ship had thick mediaor loves like Barnacle Meat blow your theory out of the water about like why people didn't like the character.
Speaker 4: Do you think it literally did? I'm so embarrassed. Now I have to go in and do like a whole new chapter just about your lobes. You know, it's a whole thing. With my publishers.
Speaker 1: You get the low edition, that's more money, that's more copies printed.
Speaker 4: That book cover is just that your lob.
Speaker 1: The book so is your I'm assuming there's like both of this, but is like part of it they're being written unlikable by like male writers, and part of it just like misogynistic culture that is like deeming them unlikable or kind of a sirl of that.
Speaker 4: Kind of a swirl. Part of it is also just trying to understand what unlikable even means. So I keep hearing this word. It keeps popping up and think pieces and media in like production meetings and you know, in the industry in general. Yeah, oh, you just gotta make her more likable because otherwise why would we watch her? And I'm like, okay, but what does that mean? Do you just why don't you like her? Like? What is she doing that's so wrong? I don't fucking know. I wrote the book, and I'm like, there is no reason. It's just our weird projections on women that were then putting on two fictional characters. But it is a little bit of you know, just plain old misogyny from us, from all of us as we watch these films and decide, you know what, she's a bitch, I'm gonna hate her, and I'm going to hate the actress that plays her too, because she plays her too well, so it means that she must be a bitch in real life too. And that combined with like, you know, the writers and the way that they create those characters to be villains. But then one thing that I really love is and this is how I you know, why I love these characters is that even though the films or the shows present them to us as sort of villains or as characters we should hate because of whatever reason, we still love them. Right, We're still gravitate towards them, we still want to watch them, we still want to spend time with them. And that is the nugget of like really interesting kind of love for these unlikable characters that is at the heart of the book as well.
Speaker 2: Wow, Yeah, because I feel like everyone's like, I hate Lena, heates ass fucking Circe Lanister get the fuck up. Like I remember like that. There was a while when I feel like people around were like also had an unreasonable like they're just like, oh I get sick when I look at her or whatever, But I also love it. I love that shit, And you're like, wow, the duality here is really something.
Speaker 4: Well remember the hatred, the you know, Anna gun god on breaking back like people.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna I was going to bring that up, and I was like, but that would just end up being the whole episode it's talking about, like how just over the top. That was like a weird thing where the entire nation just like flipped a switch.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, that revealed a lot where like they're like they're like, she's getting in the way of his crimes. Yes, what that's a dislikable Okay.
Speaker 1: Oh now she takes the money.
Speaker 4: Wow Skyler, Wow, yeah, she's the problem.
Speaker 1: Wall cook. Yeah, literally let him cook.
Speaker 4: Let Wall cook that ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Well it sounds like an amazing book. Instead of continuing this conversation, we will direct listeners to go by the book and continue with your pros. The book is called Unlikable Female Characters and it's available for pre order. It seems like everywhere was a.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be out everywhere for pre order on paperbag and ebook, and it's out on the ninth of May. Ninth of May. Go do it.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about the.
Speaker 5: News, and we're back.
Speaker 1: And when Tucker Carlson got fired, a lot of people had questions because the stuff that they seem to be pointing out about him was evident on the air every single night of his show. It seemed to be the main thesis of his show was that he was a racist, misogynist. And so we've just been waiting for more information to come out. Some information has come out, and then last night or two nights ago, big bomb drop. The New York Times published a story with a very like, very interesting phrase in a text from Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also like a piece where, oh, and are you familiar with Tucker Carlson? Are our violent ethno nationalist commentator on Fox News?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Good, because yeah, the New York Times. I just want to it's it. I'm gonna just start off by saying it sounds like the New York Times is helping Fox out, and we'll get to why a little bit later, but they're they open up this this report by saying, quote a text message sent by Tucker Carlson that's set off a panic at the highest levels of Fox on the eve of its billion dollar defamation trial, showed its most popular host sharing his private, inflammatory views about violence and race. I'm like, well, this is fucking private views. What are you Okay? What could those be? Well, let's read the text in questions, shall we? This is from Tucker Carlson. What are you gonna say?
Speaker 1: I just listening to the just reading the text, Like It's why. I've never seen somebody who texts exactly as they speak on television. It's so weird.
Speaker 4: It's like how Parts signs a yearbook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he texts.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy cool. Anyways, Okay, this is the this is Simpsons.
Speaker 2: He writes theook, he writes the way he talks. Anyway, So this is a this is a text he's sent on January seventh, twenty twenty one. Okay, the night after January sixth, he tweeted or he texted quote. A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one.
Speaker 4: At least.
Speaker 2: Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable. Obviously, it's not how white men fight. WHOA would have been in that one. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against that man, hoping they'd hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then something deep in my brain and alarm went off. This isn't good for me. I'm becoming something I don't want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I'm sure i'd hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn't gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don't care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?
Speaker 1: And then like somebody presumably like thumbs up that or something.
Speaker 2: Like who texts like that? The three exclamation points like the part that part right there. I'm sorry, Tucker, how do white men fight? Like what are you saying?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 2: Are we talking about like old school pugilism, like hey, put your dukes up and like you're doing this shit and just like fucking you're doing that kind of thing, or you mean the other way white men fight, like giving disease blankets to indigenous people or like you know, scriminally dropping bombs on defenseless you know, groups of civilians. Which which way are you talking about, Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 1: There's so this is like, like you said, this is unsurprising quantitatively is what he said on his show every night. But that like the texture of that phrase is like so reminiscent of like Leonardo DiCaprio's character in Django Unchained, like so thoroughly like Antebellum South, Like it just just feels like, for whatever reason, that sentence was like, Oh, there is a basement before below the basement where every like the just open and depraved white supremacy that like I kind of suspected was always going on with these people is actually happening. Like the fact that he just casually put through that out there, there's just like something there that's like a little brief window into how he actually talks.
Speaker 2: And thinks right, like to another white supremacist like, yeah, man, that's true.
Speaker 4: It's not how white men fight. It's dishonorable.
Speaker 2: It's like how I would be like talking to a Laker fantom like that's not how we played basket ball, right, and the LA Lakers are like, you fucking right.
Speaker 4: But this is like about the.
Speaker 2: I guess, the purity of of of white pugilism. I guess, But the logic here, I'm so Apparently this text was beyond the pale for the exacts at Fox, and they figured that with the dominion trial about to happen, that this was just going to make things worse because they didn't want this to come out a lot like during his testimony, et cetera. That's what that's that's what they're saying. But they knew about these texts because it was part of the discovery process, like when you know you're fucking like in the middle of a lawsuit, So they they presumably knew about this already. And also he has a show where he constantly talks about the virtues of Western European whiteness and shit all the fucking time. So it just feels like they're like the New York Times kind of helping Fox do damage control over the dominion lawsuit while also making the board seem like soul having humans who were like, you know what we're actually not with white grievance politics here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Interesting, and that's what I'm that's it's like sort of confounding or is it a way to spin like the largest defamation settlement ever by it being like it wasn't because of all the election lies we settled, it was because Tucker's racism would have been a blight on our network if it came out in such a public way in a trial. I'm still still struggling to find like how they want us to believe? What is like what the reasoning is here? Because it sounds like a reason but I'm not, like, I'm just like, is that really what it is? Are you patting yourselves on the back or being like and that was just a bridge too far for us at Fox.
Speaker 1: There was also the story where did you I think we covered it on this on this show like one of the trending episodes that Rupert Murdoch was like engaged to be married again? To this like I forget, like she was like a real estate person or she was like my angel yeah, evangelists, And then that got called off and there are rumors behind the scene that she was she like believed Tucker Carlson was like the second coming of Christ, like had that he had been over to their house, had dinner with like Ruber Murdoch, his fiance, and the next morning the engagement was called off. And then like a week later, Tucker Carlson was fired.
Speaker 2: You're laughing too hard at his jokes.
Speaker 1: Dude, I could see there being some weird personal grievance shit, Like I'm guessing it's like there there are so many good reasons that he was fired, but also like the real reason is probably something stupid.
Speaker 2: And probably feeling like it's succession esque because the pr spin on it feels like a group full of people who have lost their tether to reality. You're like, yeah, yeah, man, tell.
Speaker 4: That to the public. They'll they'll believe that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that the realism was too much, And I'm like, Okay, was this written by Kendall Roy, Like it has that energy in it.
Speaker 1: I'd be worried that my view of reality is being too heavily influenced by Succession, except for the fact that Ruber Murdock apparently is worried that his life is affecting Succession too much, because he filed lawsuits being like, you can't use details from my life and the writing of Succession, So it seems like there's some bleed there.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Well I don't know. I mean, what's your how do you feel? I know, like, looking upon this medium mess that we have over here, Well.
Speaker 4: As I told you guys before we hit record, I love mess. Yeah, I'm enjoying.
Speaker 1: All the way.
Speaker 2: Do you think what do you think makes more sense that it was that they're like this is like spin to try and humanize the board for being like and you see they actually cut ties with him. Or is this is this like some like you know Connor Roy, like this is like Roy Family, Roy Star Waco kind of shit?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: I think it makes us look better that we just do not understand the moves that are being made. I think if we, if it made sense to us, it would mean that we're in the same wave length as these people, and that is a questionable place to be morally ethically in every single way.
Speaker 1: So Tucker Carlson to look for answers about why he got fired. I'm just like glad he got fired, right a good life philosophy that I would have if I was a more mentally healthy, less spiteful person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well there's that. I mean, I also, can I really do like the idea that Rupert Murdoch was just so incensed Beyonce like like giving him attention that he just did like a like Roman firing Joy the studio exact kind of thing, was like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or you could be fired. I don't know how about that. But also you know that he broke up with every single one of his wife's via email.
Speaker 1: The best way to do it if you ask me.
Speaker 4: Day notice saying I'm sorry, we have the hard ways. I'm afraid this is not working out for either of us right now.
Speaker 1: And also you always ended on a good because it ends with best Jack, so they know that I have the best intentions.
Speaker 2: And also, yeah, click my link tree underneath kind of see what a come if you're into it. I know things kind of went south. That's why I always have been broken up with at Chipotle every time for some reason.
Speaker 1: I hate beggars, can't be choosers.
Speaker 4: Man, they can't. I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay. McDonald's, Hey, I'll tell you. What we're not loving is McDonald's child labor law violations. The Department of Labor has stepped in and McDonald's in bitter trouble for employing two ten year old children who worked as late as two am, one of which operated the deep friar, which is a prohibited task for workers under sixteen years old. Claim that the kids that McDonald's claimed that the kids or so McDonald's is like franchised, so they just like give people the ability to run McDonald's with apparently absolutely zero oversight because these people claimed that the kids were merely visiting a parent who works as a night manager. And the Department of Labels like labors, like, you've employed twenty four miners under the age of sixteen to work more than legally permitted hours. So get the fuck out of here with this bring your daughter to work shit like this is those just.
Speaker 2: They're all pattern I'm like, God, they're all my children, thank you. It's how I look at them. And they wanted to come to, you know, work with me. That's all it's it's a very man. It's just such a dark time too, because there's so many Republicans too, like trying to legislate this kind of stuff, like yeah, man, kids should be able to fucking work. Yeah, you know, like fourteen year olds, they need to be able to work a lot longer. Like I know they were in Iowa, like they were really had their eye on a bill like that. I'm not sure if it actually went through it. It may have, but there's just so many levels of fucking tragedy to it. To it's like it because on one level, you know, these kids they're not working because they're like I want to work at McDonald's as a fucking thirteen year old. They're probably in a terrible situation where they're only financial recourse is to try and work at McDonald's at such a young age, you know what I mean. And then there's always somebody who's willing to be like, hey, well you know, we got a friar shift late at night once you get homework done, if you want to come by for that, and just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wo fuck, just the worst I mean, yeah, So Arkansas is scrapping age verification requirements for workers younger than sixteen years old. Missouri Republicans are eyeing a similar move. Wisconsin Republican led legislature introduced a bill that would allow kids as young as fourteen to serve alcohol in bars and restaurants, but to seated customers only, which.
Speaker 2: Wait, oh yeah, like as opposed to like someone at a like at the bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't like be behind the bar like shaking up cocktails while like a.
Speaker 2: Oh so you want to be able to have the fourteen year old bring your my tie to the table like, okay, I see.
Speaker 1: Man, But as a teenage alcoholic, I would have done succession level Macavellian maneuvering to get a job where I was serving alcohol at the age of like sixteen, like five years away from being to drink, be to being able to drink. But I get to serve it responsibly Jesus. But yeah, I don't know. This is just another example of this thing like American capitalism as currently constituted is a system that overtly and almost exclusively rewards predation, Like it is just predators praying on people who are have less power than them, and we're going to continue to see this level, just like New and new lows new and like lower lows when.
Speaker 4: As the basement beyond the basement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, the basement under the basement is what we're seeing here. But I just think that as long as the myth is still there, that like there is some meritocratic value to who becomes rich in this country. Like we're kind of fucked because like we need to get people's minds back to a place where, you know, there is an understanding that companies with power will use that power to exploit you unless you have some you know, collective power to to push back with.
Speaker 2: And it's funny too, because like to your point and about memoirs, it's like the memoir ification of successful wealthy people has also completely fucked up people's concept of like how to become successful, Like from yeah, oh I don't know that guy lifted themselves up by the bootstrap.
Speaker 4: Why can't I.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, the game's rigged against you already, Yeah, or even just.
Speaker 4: To live a life before you consider like writing about it or thinking that you have something to teach other people, Like what are you teaching us exactly? Like are you just selling? Are you just selling the idea of constant hustle like to you, guys, this point is, are you just selling idea of work yourself to death in this particular way? Because that is what I did, and that is what I will continue doing for the rest of my life, and maybe maybe you will be just like me. But that path, whatever that path might be, you know, be it love island or anything else, it changes, and it's never available for everyone. It's barely available to the people who actually get it and forget those deals in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's barely available to anyone. And let other than the people who already know that it's available to them, and they're not going to tell you that it's available to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Here, here a listener. Here's the exercise you can find out if this path is available to you. Check your pockets right now, okay, go with through your pockets. Are there fucking emeralds in there? Do you have any loose emeralds in your pockets?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, well you're not like Elon then, So.
Speaker 1: Here's how you have a chance at being a billionaire. Do your parents have a private wealth manager that like the whose full time job it is to grow their wealth. No, they're probably in the States. Yeah, anyways. I mean there's there's all sorts of structural things, and like Congress hasn't passed a law that's just advantageous to like billionaires and uh an entire generation. The Supreme Court keeps pushing things in the direction of corporations, but there is I feel like also just the media has fully bought into the corporate I like, the idea that what corporations tell us is the truth and that like that's the way to run a society is just like that that Clintonian idea of like taking in the neoliberal ideas of like free market and running the entire civilization like that, And it's just not working. And I think it has gotten into people's bloodstream where now nobody thinks of selling out as being a thing. Is that used to be a thing that you would look down on. Now it's like, yeah, I get the bag, which is totally understandable, but it just feels like in this very specific form of late stage hypercapitalism, it's very dangerous that like we we don't have the cultural kind.
Speaker 2: Of well a defense well the like the options are so minimal right for like upward mobility that like it's like in this country, like we've just been mainlining this kind of fucked up financial propaganda where it's sort of like, hey man, I know it feels like your back's against the wall, but you might luck out like one of these exalted people, and that's gonna keep you alive for a little bit longer while we get a little more labor out of you, like and because of that, we're caught in this fucking rat wheel. And like you know, like again, that wasn't until the pandemic happened where people were like, well, the what the fuck is what the fuck is this? And they were really good the checks cut the checks off, cut them off because people are getting fucking ideas now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of a kind of a fucked up situation. But yeah, let us know, if you guys are seeing ten year olds at your local McDonald's fucking fries, please and.
Speaker 1: That's the answer. Just tip those ten year olds to tip them better.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a piece in the Atlantic soon, yeah, or the Wall Street Journal is going to be like, what we need to do is actually advocate for child tips.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, thank you. What heartwarming story of this child coming home from work at McDonald's at four in the morning and a wealthy person was driving by and decided to buy them a new pair of shoes, right because there's had holes in them. Heartwarming story. Absolutely, all right, let's take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll talk baby dames.
Speaker 5: And we're back.
Speaker 1: And uh, social media has completely fucked up how we named babies, it seems, I think so.
Speaker 2: I'm look. I've been on TikTok for the last year or so, just mouth a gape, watching it for hours at a time, and I've come across all kinds of content. And ever since the algorithm figured out I'm a parent, now I get weird parenting content. I'm seeing weird hacks about like how to know how your baby's asleep. You look at how clenched their fist is. If their fist is clenched, they are not sleeping or whatever. No, it's how full their stomach is. That's how you can tell how much to feed your baby. And people are like, that has nothing to do with it. That's how they sleep. And my doctor here, that's not true. Shut up, doctor, this is TikTok. You fucking hate her.
Speaker 1: But doctors have to spend half of their workday, just debunking shit they see on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Right, and like I see all kinds of stuff like that. And then then I started seeing this, like stuff about like esthetic names for babies, like oh, you want an aesthetic name for a baby?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: And it seems that like baby naming content is becoming more and more popular, and there's now like there there are influencers around baby naming, like people who're like, yo, they fucking come with the sickest names in the game. Right now, let me play like I'm gonna play a clip for you of like one of these things of like just how these videos are of like these are these are esthetic baby names?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: So you can like vibe out your child's energy. Okay, why is it playing terrible music? Okay, let's mute the music because we're not gonna get a strike. It's like, so these are aesthetic names Rowan Wren with Atlas Atlas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll misunderstand the word aesthetic. These are just names, but it's a vibe. Okay, that's posy.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's such a vibe. Okay.
Speaker 1: So like they're like all their only thingsthe baby names, and they that's just.
Speaker 4: One video.
Speaker 2: That's where if you're fucking with that account, which is official baby names one one one. But like these influencers, like people come to them because they want to know about like what's the most unique thing? Like I come to these accounts to find out like how how much like how how much of a niche unique name can I get? And like people because people don't want bum ass names like Emily or Jessica or Matt or even Miles it seems or they're like Miles is actually played the fuck out and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, what the fuck? Fuck?
Speaker 2: You don't give them anyway?
Speaker 1: So people want it not athetic though does being played out mean it's not it's not?
Speaker 2: Well? Aesthetic is one version and other ones are just people who are like, we just are looking for really unique names, so they will offer they will go to these influencers. And here's like one package that one of these name influencers offers a video consultation with sixteen baby name options for ninety nine dollars, an eight name package with extensive name analysis for one hundred and seventy five dollars, and a sixteen name package with name analysis for two hundred and fifty dollars. I don't know what that means. It sounds like somebody just putting together sixteen names on list and sending them to you and being like this is where they rank or whatever. And I mentioned the name Jessica shout out to two of my exes. But because that's like, that's the name of one of the women that runs in account And in an interview with vox like, it's clear she hates that her name is Jessica, like every other girl born in the eighties and early nineties. In this argus is quote I always say to my mom, you carried me for nine months, and you come up with Jessica after all that, after all we've been through.
Speaker 4: I mean, can I can I throw in a suggestion for these people? Change your name you don't like it, change your fucking name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got the freedom.
Speaker 4: Why is this a hustle? Why is this? How are you charging people for essentially googling something for that I know?
Speaker 2: So here's the thing, Like, apparently this is like it's like this, this woman talked about how she has rules when she's stinging up a baby name. And apparently, and this isn't new. I've like I've interacted with people, friends, who are kind of like really into this kind of stuff. But her rules are, quote, it cannot be in the top two hundred most popular baby names. She can't know anyone with the name. It has to be pronounceable by her family members with Boston accents, meaning paca and Atha are at atha advat, so you just kind of sound like Charmaine Buco and sopranos ahdi Addi anyway, and it has to be professional sounding. And she says, people get really angry when I said that, Well that seems a little coded, but yes, okay.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Maybe that's why.
Speaker 2: And these inflorors put out videos that are like they have these other there's other videos of like, hey, these are some really popular names. I just want to warn people. They're becoming really popular and they're trending in them. And you know, if this is one of your kids' names, I'm really sorry that I'm having to.
Speaker 4: Tell you this.
Speaker 2: Like that's the tone of the video and it'll be like, okay, so if your name is if your baby's name is Silas or Finn or Mave, these are names that are becoming really popular and like I'm sorry, and like in the comments, people are freaking the fuck out like they're being accused of child endangerment because they're like my name, my baby name's trending, like it's a whole it's a whole thing. But yeah, I think the fact is, like, as they point out in Vox, like once families became smaller in the nineteen sixties and people weren't just like spitting out kids to like work the land, people began to put more like emphasis on names that weren't just like direct tributes to elder family members just to get like a name out, And then that's slowly morphed into where we are today, where the Internet has made everything a flex or a stunt or a competition, and naming a kid is like more akin to now a product fucking launch than welcoming a new member into your family. And I get it some people people think about for years, Like I have friends that have known what they were naming their kids since they were in elementary school.
Speaker 4: Okay, but the.
Speaker 2: Effect that social media has on us can't be understated, Like it really there's a whole thing now where people are because everything is available and people think about handles and branding now it's really wild Isabelle Munson in Real mag Growth. This is Real life mag Growth. This is I think it's really interesting just talking about the idea of what social media has done to us and like how we're commodifying our existences.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 2: Just as capitalism engenders the belief that our value is determined by our productivity, social as a business category influences our concept of the self, encouraging us to see self categorization on platforms not only as self realization, but as a source of capital. Our value then is based on effective self branding, and we're in like we're misspelling names like Kentucky and saying it's like, oh, that's Katiki my new daughter's name. It's really it's it's wild out there. It's wild out there.
Speaker 1: I do find baby names like inherently fascinating, like trends in baby names, because it's it's like such a meaningful decision, and it like changes so drastically these days for no good reason. Like I one of the things that like made me believe in a collective unconscious was that like, I had this name for fifteen years I was going to name my son if I ever had one, And then like a month before we're having our first son. I look it up to see like what the most popular names are, and it's like number Like it's become number one in the past like five years. Like the name that like for no reason, like Liam was the name for no fucking reason, like at all. It's just all of a sudden, that is what everybody is naming their children, all at the same time. So I think, like those Trents, so we we went with pivoting instead. We pivoted Denise and because you know, we had to honor the man some way, right, But it's I don't know, it is very interesting and it's a like decision that I feel like people take very seriously. But you also, I mean, can't fuck it up too bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think at the end of the day, like if you're a kid, like I've said this on the show before, I wish my name was DJ in the nineties.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's going to be Miles, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And then I grew out of that shit. I'm like, nah, man, fuck that, I'm like my fucking name and like, but there is like you know, even with naming my own son, it's just like you have names. But it was never It never got to a point where it's like who the fuck else has this name. It's more like what feels like it embodies the union of our families and whatever other things like because we're trying to honor, like you know, with first initials, because some people use that kind of name and convention ain't arrive at a name. And it wasn't as like rot as like being like get the fucking book, make sure it's on the top two hundred, or we've fucked up his entire life, or you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I just I had one name in particular that I was like, I don't want the name to be like the what Ryan was when I was a kid, where like right, there were five Ryans in like all of my classes, Like for.
Speaker 2: The year you were born, Jack Ryan was the eleventh most popular name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, could have fooled me. It seemed like number one.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, that's in California. That's in California.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was in Ohio and West Virginia and New York. It was pretty fucking popular. It would seem Kentucky a lot of Ryan's, But I don't know, so that that's why I didn't. I didn't mind if the name was like somewhat popular. I just didn't want it to be like the number one, which Liam seems to be.
Speaker 2: I was really into the name Luis, the French name, yeah, because I liked the fucking weird like this, like how it looked with the interesting letters and like umlats of shit. I was like, oh, that shit looked cool, like if you're tagging that. Like this was where my mind was at. I was like, this would look dope if you're tagging this name because I was a tagger and I don't know if that that had value to me. And then like and it was also because there was like a soccer I heard name game, like a soccer game. I was like, oh, that's a cool name. But they were saying like lowick and I was like, okay, I ca fuck with that. And then after a while, I pretty much I was like, that's like when it come to naming my own kidd, like this doesn't really match at all. So I'm happy with his name. We're happy with his name. Method man great. Yeah, yeah it's adult name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it. I don't like it sounds fascinating listening to you guys speak. I mean, I don't have kids, so I have not had to go through that. Do you have, n I'm temperaris that have and you've witnessed something like that. Yeah, but I've never witnessed people get so obsessed or down this rabbit hole, or even like even conceiving of paying people to come up with a baby name. Yeah, but I do remember, like I think everyone goes through this. I used to hate my name growing up, so I would constantly try to change it. So I'd introduce myself with different names that I thought were cool for one reason or another too, people like in a club or when I met new people, I'd be like, Hi, my name's Agnes and I don't know why, but people like it's not yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Like stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I was ready into, like French new wave cinema. It's like, yeah, you got the.
Speaker 2: Varna do right now?
Speaker 4: You know, give me give me Ana's Varda right now? Oh thank you. Although I actually met her, she's she was lovely and super tiny and the night one of the nicest filmmakers I ever met. But like, there was this weird thing where your name becomes it's a match of a personality, even with a baby or like an energy because people clocked me immediately. They were like, no, you're not such a name. No, wy are you really? Yeah, there did not believe me. I was like, Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Agnes. I don't know. I was trying out names whenever.
Speaker 1: No, you're never. I was saying Agnes, but you are serving Anna. I'm sorry, you got big energy.
Speaker 2: I'm not a lie.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's funny.
Speaker 2: When I would get in trouble with old white people who didn't know me, I would always tell them my name was Orlando. That was my that was my fake name. They're like, what's your name? Who are your parents? I go I'm Orlando and they're like, well, get out of here, Orlando. I'm like, yeah, fuck you. And I was talking about because of Orlando El Duque the picture for the Yankees.
Speaker 1: I thought you were just trying to subliminately remind them of Disney World, their favorite place on Earth.
Speaker 2: Your favorite place in Florida, Orlando.
Speaker 4: Oh it wasn't a Virginia Wolf novel. It wasn't that, but you were referencing.
Speaker 2: No, no, unfortunately not I was not.
Speaker 1: El Duques pictures.
Speaker 2: But it is like a thing too, or like like you know, you look at how people like in America, especially like on Instagram, the way people hard launch a baby.
Speaker 6: There's like fucking all this shit like they've they got banners made, fucking merch, Like people are really conscious of like how shit is gonna look on like that announcement post.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they just kind of see how it's just kind of like trickling in where people can't even like trust their own own sense of like what they feel to name their own child. That it's now being like, well I don't trust myself to know what I should name my child. I'm going to surrender it to the algorithm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, essentially like yo.
Speaker 2: Come on now, relax a little bit. Shout out method man, I love.
Speaker 1: Shut out method man, young, method man.
Speaker 3: Moving method method baby. Right now, we're gonna get there. Yeah, that is a that is a terrifying feeling. But like when we thought we were having a girl with our second we just were like we vibed it out.
Speaker 1: We were like, this is a girl, we have our girl name where we're good and it was a boy and we were like forty eight hours we were like what do we do here? Oh no, we just like I don't even remember how we came up with a name.
Speaker 4: It's wow.
Speaker 2: Oh so you really got caught like not doing your homework for the test.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I also didn't want to, like I didn't want to like decide based on a fucking blog or whatever.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Want to decide based on what. Like one of my friends randomly texted back to me when the one person who responded to me at like three am, when I was like, look, man, I'm in a bad way, Like what do you think of this one? They're like, yeah, it sounds good?
Speaker 4: Was all right?
Speaker 2: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Also my sister, my sister, great guide. All right, Anna. Yes, it's been such a pleasure having you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been wonderful. Guys, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 4: So you can find me online on Twitter and Instagram at annabtamented you compare to the book anywhere you can buy books.
Speaker 2: And you can.
Speaker 4: Listen to me talk about horror movies over on the Final Girls podcast.
Speaker 2: It's a classic. Yeah, and are you talking? You're doing like succession wrap ups too, aren't you a little recaps?
Speaker 4: Oh god?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm also doing the successionistis with My Friend Mike, which recaps the current season of Succession. Yeah, that comes out every Tuesday morning. Got it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: How are you liking the season?
Speaker 4: I'm mixed on it. May I'm like some episodes old timer, episode Banger, just a stone called perfect hour of television, and others, I'm like, I'm very confused. How is this this up and down, up and down kind of roller coaster? But I almost like I want to reserve judgment until to see the whole thing, because the whole thing always like it needs to fit together, and then you get why certain episodes didn't quite work in isolation. So I'm like, I'm I'm in with it until the end. Like season two of Succession is probably a perfect season of television, and I love it. I'll watch every episode like three or four times. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that is that the season where Greg takes the stand?
Speaker 1: Greg takes the stand? It is a great moment of television.
Speaker 2: Is that that season that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's with the cruises, with the cruises, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's when they go to It's with the iconic line of where Tom sent Greg sixty seven emails saying you need to break some you need to break some gregs to make a tomlet or you can't make a tomlat without breaking some gregs. Oh man, if it is to be said, so, it be five episode that Greg to like disgusting Brothers, Greg.
Speaker 2: Disgusting Brothers. Greg.
Speaker 4: He's losing points, man, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not He's like trying, He's trying something on.
Speaker 4: He's right, right right. It doesn't fit him though. Oh yeah, gross, dude, it's not such a natural vibe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, if it is to be said, so, I.
Speaker 1: Thought episode three and four of the season were some of the best ever. But yeah, like, other than that, it's been kind of.
Speaker 2: Which which the I mean without spiling the big one, the big the family event one I was there were some times like, well, y'all are also like it was well directed, well performed. I was like, okay, y'all making me feel some shit too when I thought y'all didn't feel shit, which was I think why the episode hit so hard?
Speaker 1: Yeah, drama Tallurgically it made sense to quote Jeremy Strum, That's what he said in the making up documentary that immediately followed it. That is the only making of documentary that I like watch. Every time I watched the episode, I was like, Okay, we're going to do this again.
Speaker 2: I love that is closed this season are based on Elon Musk's looks, are they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was reading something that there was like a huge thing that like, yeah, we're taking a lot of inspiration from Elon Musk for Kendall's outfit.
Speaker 4: Also, there's I don't know if they're going to do the same thing. I'm sure they will in the States, but there's going to be a London screening of the finale and by the time it airs here it's like two am. So there's a cinema in London that will have the like a live stream of the show at two am screening in like a blake cinema, And I swear to god, if I don't get a fucking ticket for that event, I'm gonna put cinema down.
Speaker 1: All Right, you'all heard it. Alleged tickets, it said, so it be, So it is? So it is? Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying in Oh god.
Speaker 4: Well, I've honestly been thinking about this tweet for about a week. It's not the slutty Little Knees one. It's another one. Hold on a second, let me pull it up. So I saw the sweet like a couple a week or so ago by this woman who was like, novels are so great, They're just like I made up a little weirdo. Oh no. Now he's in trouble and I'm working on a on a piece of fiction. Now I'm like, oh, ship, that's all it is. I just have to make up this little stick figuring and put it in some trouble.
Speaker 1: That's great. Miles, Where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, find me on Twitter and Instagram, another at based places at Miles of Gray. Also check Jackie and I out on the latest episode of Miles and jack Got Mad.
Speaker 4: Matt Lucy, all the.
Speaker 2: NBA hosts Delicious right now shout out Joelle and b for securing that MVPVP MB anyway MBDP And also, yeah, find me and Sophia Alexandra on our ninety Day Fiance podcast for twenty Day Fiance where we smoke more weed than Willie Nelson ever did in his lifetime and talk about you know, immigration based reality romance shows. Now some tweets I like because the writer's strike is on and fucking popping right now. I just want to shout out some of the people who have been picketing and also some of their posting some of their signs, which is great because there's nothing wittier than writers who have a blank slate for their picket signs. Johnny Sun tweeted, I'll just I'll just show you some of these. He said, right, it's like they have the normal strike, strike or picket sign that says writers on strike, and he wrote, sure, I support a, I A all of our terms being met I in a fair and timely manner, because that's a huge contention point of contention right now in negotiations where they're like, I don't know, like, hey, a you guys worried And then at Katie Delaney tweeted her sign, which was a picture of Tim Robinson from I Think You Should Leave, and it says.
Speaker 4: You don't want a negotiate a deal with a w G A you sure about that? Sure about that? That's not what you want?
Speaker 2: So I love any references to that show. But anyway, yeah, that's coming back soon, right end of May. Yeah, end of the month, all right, tweet.
Speaker 1: I've been enjoying Colin Crawford finally an entire board of Smorgas, which I think it's Borg of Smorgas, but I got the meaning and I liked it. And that is the text that I randomly scrolled to, or the tweet I randomly scrolled to. So that's my to that. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brian. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeikeast dot com where we post our episodes in our foot notes or link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode.
Speaker 4: Well, it is a song that.
Speaker 1: We think you might enjoy. Hey, Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: So in the past, we've I remember gone out on the song by a song by the group seventy nine point five. The track then was this track called Sisters Unarmed and it's dope like they're very like they're they're multi genre type artists. Like it's like part disco, part funky jazz part like it's also like kind of ESG. They have they have just many vibes. But they have a new track out and it's actually so I was listening to the CACRW, the local radio station, and they were talking about this song that just came out, and they're like, and the reference is actually a soprano's reference to like. The new track name is called long Term Parking, which is an episode, very very seminal episode of the Sopranos, or something happens, but the person on the air just fucking goes in and just says what happened in the episode. And I don't know why I felt so INSTI I'm like, don't spoil that for people who didn't see that nineteen years ago. The fuck is wrong with you. But anyway, this track is called Long Term Parking and it's by none other than seventy nine point five, So check it out. It's a really dope track.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we link off to that in the footnotes. Today is the production of by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio Wrap Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending, and we'll talk to yo then by bye.