Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of reproductive justice? Yeah, that's like abortions, right.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but there's so much more to it.
Speaker 1: Dehmate Pico. Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 3: Senora, Senora, Senora, Senora, Senora.
Speaker 1: S Hi, Senora.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Senora sex Ed Senora Sex Said is not your Mommy sex Talk. This show is la platica like you've never heard it before. With each episode, we're breaking the stigma and silence around sex and sexuality in LATINX communities.
Speaker 1: Latinas have been hyper sexualized in popular culture, but notoriously denied sex education. This podcast is an intergenerational conversation between Latinas from gen X to Gen Z, covering everything from puberty and body image to representation in film, television, and music.
Speaker 2: Just a reminder that in this show, a Senora is a woman with a lot of life experiences and stories to share. Maybe she's in her thirties, maybe she's in her forties or fifties or older. Maybe she's trans, maybe she sits.
Speaker 1: We are your hosts and producers, Viosa and Mala.
Speaker 2: You might recognize us from our flagship podcast, Lokatra Radio. Since twenty sixteen, we've covered all kinds of topics, ranging from politics, to mental health, current events, and of course sex. We still have so much to learn, though, and we hope you listen to each episode with the Senoras and Senoritas in Your Life, Chapter twenty eight, abortion is Healthcare. In today's episode, we sit down with virgin She is the daughter of Mexican parents who grew up in the barrios of northeast Los Angeles. She is a mother, daughter, sister, and wife who believes in the power of stories to heal and to liberate. Virginia shares her experience accessing abortion care at the age of seventeen and later at forty eight. She also shares what sexual education looked like in the nineteen seventies and how she got involved with California Latinas for Reproductive Justice. Here's our interview with Virginia.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful. It's just an honor to be here and be able to talk about these important issues. Quite often we don't share in public.
Speaker 1: On Senora Sex said, we love to start by asking what did conversations around sex and sexuality look like for you growing up.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's important to note my birth year, So I was born in nineteen sixty two, which was you know, pre Roe v. Wade. And I was born to a mother who she wasn't conventional, but she did have some values about sex and sex before marriage, and she thought it was really taboo. So she wanted to educate me about what sex was and menstruation. But I think she wanted to she really emphasized that sex was something that occurred in the marriage relationship, and so we didn't really have conversations about relationships, or about passion, or about sexuality, or about even pleasure. That I didn't learn until, I would say, even way in my forties, because those conversations just were taboo, and so I didn't really feel comfort with my body until you know, I was or I already had children, and I started to hang out with young people who had a different perspective. So people who were born more in the seventies and eighties had a more open worldview and a more nuanced understanding about their sexuality. So I learned a lot from them.
Speaker 2: What were some of the things that you learned from them.
Speaker 4: About masturbation, about self pleasure, about how it's possible to self pleasure, which is something I didn't really grow up learning about I thought that that had to come from the outside, from external, from another person, and not something that I could do for myself. So that's what they taught me.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when you learned like about pleasure and masturbation. Was there a specific person, a specific moment that comes to mind?
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I don't want to name this person, but I was in a reading group with a bunch of like twenty something women. I was like the grandmother of the group, and they had real open conversations about masturbation, about vibrators, about self pleasure. And this was probably ten ten years ago, and it had a huge impact on me after that.
Speaker 2: Based on your experience growing up and the information your mother gave you, and maybe any sex that you learned in school or from friends, did you approach your first sexual experience with an understanding that pleasure with something that you deserved and should receive.
Speaker 4: Not at all. No, I didn't really. I wasn't really interested in sex until maybe in my early twenties. Although I did have my search sexual experience when I was seventeen, but it was be from peer pressure. It was because everybody was having sex and I felt like I had to, Like Mark, that box. But it's not like I was having these you know, sensations that I wanted to or or really a strong desire to. So I can't say that it was a pot I really cared about the person, but I can't say that it was pleasurable. And that didn't come until I was a bit older and I started to learn a little bit more about asking for what I needed and what I wanted. So that came with time and came with you know, each relationship and each experience. But that that, I mean, I just can't emphasize enough, you know, the self part of it, because we don't think. We grow up thinking that it has to come from someone else has to give us something and we have to give them something, and we don't. We don't learn that there are things we can do for ourselves that are really important and worthy and valuable and satisfying.
Speaker 1: Can you just describe what you have here in front of us, and like where it came from.
Speaker 4: So my mother, she's a huge fan of Anne Landers, and so she gave us I have two sisters, so these were used by my oldest sister and me, and then my younger sister. She gave advice about all sorts of issues and problems people were having, and my mom really looked to her because she was wise enough to know she didn't want to replicate what her mother had taught her, and so she looked to who was popular at the time to give advice. And so she gave me something called teenage Sex and ten Ways to Cool It. And I just realized that she was preaching abstinence, you know, and looking back at this, it was published in nineteen sixty five, and looking back at it, I can see that she was trying to teach me how to control myself and how not to feel, you know, all my emotions and all my desires. And my mother saved these booklets. When I helped her clean out her garage. She we came upon these, and I decided to keep them because they're such a marker of a time period that honestly, I thought had passed. But now I feel like, you know, people want to take us back to this period where we are, where our sexuality is repressed.
Speaker 2: We hope you're enjoying this conversation. Stay tuned. There's more to come.
Speaker 1: And we're back. We hope you enjoyed the break and are ready to listen to the rest.
Speaker 2: So how did you get involved with working with c LRJ, the California Latinus for Reproductive Justice and what does your work look like now with them.
Speaker 4: I got involved with the California Latinas for Reproductive Justice when I was working on the documentary film No Mas Bevez. We were looking for an organizational partner who could inform us about the topics we were addressing and perhaps use the film for the work that they were doing to promote bodily autonomy. We were also interested in looking at because the film looks at the unwanted for sterilizations of Mexican women at the La County Hospital in the nineteen seventies, and we were looking to put this history, this tragic history, in the reproductive justice framework that cier l r J advocates for. So the idea that you want to protect women's right to terminate a pregnancy at the same time protect their right to have as many children as they want to and to have them in a safe and healthy environment amazing.
Speaker 1: And Nomas Bevez was a big deal when it came out, and I think it was very groundbreaking diving into that history that unless you maybe like study Chicano Studies or you're from La May. You may have never heard about the sterilization program that took place here in California. What was your role in the documentary and how did it come to be.
Speaker 4: I learned about that case even though I grew up in La born and raised in Los Angeles. I learned about the case when I was a graduate student and I was working with doctor Vicki Deuis, who is a Chicano historian, and she taught that history. So I wanted to learn more about it because I was so appalled and angered that the county hospital is two miles from where I live, and I had not learned about all the activism around this. I was definitely appalled about the abuse and the violation, but also about not learning of the heroism that the women who challenged the hospital engaged in their heroism, their activism, their bravery, and then the chic got a feminists who were a part of it. Was really a dynamic history. But I wasn't satisfied with just writing about it. I was really wanted. I really wanted to bring this history to a wider public, and just by luck, I live very close to the director Rene Tajimapenya and just by luck, we both had two young babies we were taking care of, so we met because of our kids and we would organize play dates and then talk about our work and what we hope to do once our kids were a little bit older. So she said, this would make an amazing documentary, and that's how I got involved in making the film.
Speaker 2: I love that that's such a great detail that it was like working mothers and how y'all connected in that way. How does your personal story connect to CLRJ and your role there.
Speaker 4: One of the questions we asked whenever we get together with our board members or with staff for our retreats is like, how did you come to RJ? What's your understanding of RJ? And a lot of us come to these issues not from a theoretical perspective, but actually from experiencing something. And in my case, I learned about abortion in when my best friend from high school got pregnant and she definitely did not want to have children. She was only fifteen and her mother was very much a fundamentalist Christian and she was so terrified that her mother would just I don't know what she was afraid of. Because it was really nice, but she didn't want to hurt her mother, I guess, And so we had a network of women who just helped us figure out how she could get pregnant, I mean, how she could terminate that pregnancy. We had a network of women who could figure out where she could get the money, who would give her a ride, who would pick her up where she would go, and it was so beautiful and so easy, and it was just something that taught me about community and about how we don't always need our mothers to help us out in situations like that, and that there's other people who are going to help us. And then so that changed my perspective. I was probably anti abortion before then because I believed that the rhetoric about murder that is a person, and I had to educate myself and re educate myself about it. I had an abortion when I was seventeen, and then I had another abortion when I was forty eight, So both times I just didn't want to have a child.
Speaker 1: And at the top of the interview, you described that your first sexual sperience as coming about because of peer pressure. So I'm wondering, like the did you feel pressure to have the abortion to keep it where they're outside influences in that decision as well.
Speaker 4: You know, it's really interesting because we talked about our sexual experiences, but we never talked about controlling our like finding a way to control to use birth control, finding birth control. Nobody was having that conversation. You know, we were talking. They were talking about positions and where to do it, and you know, all of these all of this information, but not like how do you prevent a pregnancy? And so I got pregnant pretty quickly after the first time I had sex, and I, I guess for the same reasons my friend had an abortion. I was terrified of my parents and what they would say, and I didn't want to embarrass myself. I didn't want to embarrass them. And I also did not want to be a mother. At that time, I was not headed to college. I had just graduated from high school. I didn't know what I was going to do with my life, and I wasn't really in love with my boyfriend in that way to make that kind of commitment like let's have a kid and it's I didn't feel that, and I didn't feel pressure to have a baby. No, And I think my friend's experience taught me that you can go on and have a happy life after an abortion. It's possible.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that you said that. What was your experience the same wherein you knew who to call and there was like a community and network of women mobilizing. Did you also have that same experience.
Speaker 4: Exact same experience, except I went with my boyfriend took me. He was driving, he had a car, so he went with me. But I did go to the same place where we got public assistance, so I didn't have to, you know, get money from my parents or use my health insurance. And I believe I went to the ex exact same clinic that she went to where she had hers.
Speaker 2: How was it similar or different in when you had it later in life?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, my doctor told me, she said, when we were preparing when I found out I was pregnant, I knew right away I didn't want to keep it, and my doctor said, okay, well you can go here, but I just want you to know that there are probably going to be protesters out in front. And that didn't happen in the seventies. There were no protesters, There were no people screaming at you. And this is you know, I had my abortion in Glendale, and that's not an I mean, it's Glendale's kind of conservative, I guess, but it's not. It's California. It's not a place where there are a lot of anti abortion people. There's a lot of people who are who advocate for the right to terminate a pregnancy. And there were people yelling, and there were people with large posters of fetuses, bloody fetuses, And it was really a painful experience because my parents took me. My husband was living, he was working in Oregon, he was working in a different state, and I didn't really want to share it with a lot of people. I was a little embarrassed, you know, getting pregnant at forty eight, knowing what I know, you know, being educated, knowing about birth control. I was a little embarrassed. And so my parents took me, and they were very uncomfortable because they they don't know where they stand on the issue, because of their Catholicism. And it wasn't a pleasant experience. It wasn't like going to a place where someone's going to take care of you and nurture you and hold your hand and comfort you. It was very clinical, and then they they made an error. They didn't clean me out completely, so it was just a really bad experience. I honestly had a better experien when I was seventeen than I did when I was forty eight.
Speaker 1: This is really fascinating. So both from personal experience, first person observation, and all the work that you've done in the space, do you think we've made progress in this area?
Speaker 4: I feel like we are. Because of the anti movement, doctors are afraid to perform this service, and what I learned with the film is that medical schools do not teach their students how to perform an abortion. They have to ask for it or advocate it. It's not something that's on the curriculum, So you don't have enough people actually providing the service, and there's so much stigma around it that it's almost I feel like I feel like that abortion I had was kind of similar to a back alley abortion because it was not in a very it was in a kind of a rundown facility. And even though I have really good insurance, I feel like we're not celebrating this as part of our reproductive health or part of our If you have a vagina, part of the health for those people who have a vagina, it's not part of our It's not seen as something that's just a part of who we are, like getting a mammogram.
Speaker 1: Do you think that some of the shame attached to abortion is coming from these external factors as opposed to like a true, genuine internal feeling.
Speaker 4: The shame that I had, or just.
Speaker 1: In general when people feel that about getting this procedure done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we don't have enough. I feel like we don't have enough advocates. And I can understand why people have been killed for performing abortions. People are going to jail now for performing abortions. So I can see how people or doctors, medical professionals are not out there advocating for this and publicizing that they do it. But we really need that, We really need to destigmatize how we see it, and we need to make it safe for people to have this service. I know that the film in the film in the mas Babs, we feature the whistle blowing doctor, doctor Bernard Rosenfeldt, who alerted the public to what was taking place at the La County Hospital. He's still I'm not sure if he can legally now, but he was performing abortions when we were when we interviewed him, So he's like one of the few doctors who was still doing that because it can be dangerous in some places, and now it's illegal.
Speaker 2: My follow up question for you is about this decision that you made at forty eight, because there's I think this image that we have of who receives an abortion, maybe a young girl, a teenager, but I think the statistic shows that it's also women who are already mothers. And so I'm wondering how you came to that decision. And you said you told your parents, and so that's very different from than your story when you were seventeen, right, So just wondering how you can reflect on that and how you look back on that experience now.
Speaker 4: Well, being forty eight, I didn't think it was possible to get pregnant, Honestly. I wasn't being very careful, and it's not like my husband was living he was living part time in Oregon, so it's not like we were having a lot of sex, and so it was real shock to become pregnant. And then I was already having pelvic floor issues from my second child, and then I had a third child, so I was really worried if my body could handle it, Like, what's going to happen? You know, I put on a lot of weight when I get pregnant, I put on fifty pounds. It's like, what's going to happen to my pelvic floor? And also I had a fifteen year old and a twelve year old and a seven year old at the time, and those were really heavy years because I was, you know, kind of a single mom at points with my husband away. I just couldn't see myself having another child. And then I also thought, well, what if it's not viable, Like what if I lose it at four months or five months? I don't want to go through that experience. So there were so many reasons why it wasn't financial we could have afforded to have another kid. It was because of my age, and because of my kids, and because of my body. But also I think it's really important. I would really like for us to normalize not having to justify why we make that decision. This is a great conversation, so I'm really happy to share. But I feel like for some people it should just be enough that they just didn't want to have a kid.
Speaker 2: You know, oh, absolutely absolutely, And I think for us it is important to normalize that you can have an abortion later in life, that it's not just the young teenager that maybe didn't know to use birth control, but actually it can happen at any age, right, And I think that there's not enough stories of those diverse experiences.
Speaker 4: I don't know anyone who got pregnant fort that just seemed so it's good to talk about it, and it's good to share that it is possible, so you should use your precautions if you don't want to be pregnant. And in the waiting room where I had the abortion later in life, it was packed. There were probably would say forty people in there from all ages, very young too. I thought I was going to be the oldest person, and I wasn't. There were some people that were, well they might have been my age, and you know, looked a little older. So I thought that was really interesting as well. It's such a needed service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love the point that you make about you know, we can give all these reasons for why we need this abortion, or we could just say I just don't want to. We don't need to justify and in some ways isn't that very basic? I just don't want to, Like the most important reason of all. Money can change, things can change in life, you can move things around, But just not wanting to should be the ultimate reason exactly.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: You talked about the stigma, right, and how that maybe prevents people from seeking care. How did you feel supported by maybe your community or your family, your parents when you decided to exercise your right to choose.
Speaker 4: Well, this was before I was hanging out with a twenty something year.
Speaker 2: Old Oh okay, bring us back there please.
Speaker 4: If I would have had those young people as friends, I think it would have been a different experience because people my age were shocked that I was pregnant. So I told a couple of people and they didn't really respond in the way that I would have appreciated because of their surprise and because of the I think they were thinking, Oh, I'm so glad that hasn't happened to me, like that would be, you know. So that was kind of the energy that I got, and so I didn't really feel like I had the support that I really wanted. And I also didn't want to go very public with it because I didn't have any close friends at that time that I wanted to share with. And then later on a few years later, I learned about abortion doulas, and I thought, if I would have known about an abortion doula, I would have definitely asked for that kind of support because I really needed that, like emotionally, spiritually. I had no doubt that I was making the right decision, so I didn't don't have any regrets, but that kind of care that you need after such a procedure like that, and then to know that they didn't do it properly and I had to go back again for a second one, it was it was very traumatic.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's this idea that when you have when you give birth, you know you want your village around you. And then there's sort of like two different schools of thought on abortion, like it either like devastates you or like it doesn't bother you at all, But it seems like there's some in between also, right with that procedure that you're speaking to that, well, No, in that circumstance, there also was like a need for support.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's it's it's removing of of your body tissue in a way, that is very clinical and very unemotional, but it's it's it's connected to you, and when you let go of that, it's I think it's it's hard for it not to be emotional. Even when I was seventeen, I had emotional feelings, but I had my boyfriend and I was young, and there were there were a lot of distractions after when I had my abortion. Later in life, I had to go back and be a mother. I had to cook, I had to take my kids to school. I had a lot of obligations that didn't allow me to really sit with the feelings or to distract myself with something fun and joyful. Not that my kids weren't joyful, but those were hard years too, fifteen and twelve, those boys, those were difficult years. There's a lot of tension in the house. So I don't remember it being a positive moment in my life.
Speaker 1: And with both procedures at seventeen and at forty eight, your boyfriend at the time and your husband were they supportive.
Speaker 4: My boyfriend when I was seventeen, he you know, that's the first thing he said, you have to have an abortion, And that kind of made me think, well, I'm going to make this decision myself if I want to keep I mean, I knew in my mind I didn't want to have a child, but I wanted it to be my decision. And then he was very supportive, taking me and helping me afterwards and hanging out with me. And then my husband was very supportive. He's like, what would you like to do and let me decide, you know, what we should do. And then but he wasn't. He was not in Los Angeles at the time, so my parents took me and and then he was just I don't know. When he came home, he was supportive, but it wasn't. It wasn't. It wasn't the kind of support that I think I needed, like like from like I would have received from from a mother who was understanding, or a sister who I could talk to who had was understanding in that way, or a friend.
Speaker 1: And for those listening, you know, what sort of advice might you have for them, whether that's how to be supportive of someone else who's thinking about going through this procedure or those who they themselves might need to get this procedure done.
Speaker 4: I would say, for sure, not to pity the individual, also not to shame them, not to judge them for what happened, or for getting pregnant, for having an unwanted pregnancy. I think offering food, offering a walk, offering to drive them, offering to pick them up. I think those ways are really important. And just being a good listener, you know, a good listener validating someone's experience without judging Thinca is the most important thing.
Speaker 2: After the break, we're joined by Laudajimenez, Executive director at California Latinas for Reproductive Justice. She's led California Latinas for Reproductive Justice since twenty eleven and brings to this work the passion and commitment of close to thirty years of activism in the reproductive justice movement.
Speaker 1: California Latinas for Reproductive Justice was founded by a group of Latinas who were advocates and attorneys involved in advocating for reproductive health and reproductive rights. At the time, the mainstream reproductive rights movement was not taking Latinas into account. Reproductive justice is a term that's used interchangeably with reproductive health and rights. But what does reproductive justice mean? What are its origins? Here's Lauda.
Speaker 3: I think often when we talk about reproductive justice. People just think we have changed the term and it's interchangeable with reproductive rights or reproductive health. So reproductive justice is a framework that was It was a term that was coined by twelve black women in nineteen ninety four, during the time that there was an attempt, the first attempt to do healthcare reform in the US under the Clintons, and at that time they were just they had put the term together, saying that it would be reproductive health and rights plus social justice equals reproductive justice. And what that meant was that many of the folks that I learned from my elders, my teachers, had been involved in what's known as second wave feminism underneath sort of mainstream white feminists organizing, and a lot of that was Equal Rights Amendment, a lot of that was pro choice abortion rights work. And what women of color at that time were saying was that we are supportive of abortion. Because what they were hearing was, well, we don't really talk to you all because you all don't like you Latinas don't support abortion rights. What was said back was that's not true. We do actually support people being able to make choices about their own bodies and reproduction. But we also can't talk about abortion without talking about poverty, without talking about environmental justice, without talking about incarceration, immigration law, the foster care system, and many many other intersecting frameworks. And in fact, when the framework was really fleshed out in the late nineties and early two thousands, the work of the theory of intersectionality that was created by Kimberly Crenshaw, who's a black legal scholar and other sort of black feminist thought was heavily injected into what is reproductive justice.
Speaker 2: Reproductive justice is more than just access to abortion care. Lauda explains the four tenants to reproductive justice.
Speaker 3: That is, the right to not have children, which encompasses the right to abortion, the right to contraception, making sure that there's sex ed in schools, comprehensive sexuality education in schools. Second tenant being the right to have children. So we also need to recognize that for many people, many marginalized or colonized people in this country, the right to have children has not always been free of interference by the state or any or systems right institutions that we live under. So, for example, sterilization abuse was something that was happening to many groups in this country. The third tenant is the right to parent the children that we have in safe, violence free environments. And the fourth tenant is the right to bodily autonomy and gender identity, So making sure that we are being really clear that we have sovereignty over our bodies and we also have the right to determine and share with other people what our gender identity is and expect that to be respected and supported.
Speaker 1: The LATINX community is specifically targeted by misinformation and disinformation.
Speaker 3: Specifically when we talk about crisis pregnancy centers, which are fake reproductive health centers. A great we did. There was a great legislative effort in California in the twenty I can't remember fifteen sixteen, and that was a Reproductive Fact Act. It was led by our partners at Black Women for Wellness and it basically was requiring pregnancy centers, these crisis pregnancy centers to have a signage that said we are there is no medical stuff on the premises. It also disallowed them from lying to their patients. So one of the tactics that they use sometimes because they are run by the anti abortion forces and organizations, One of the things they will do is they'll offer the free ultra sound and all that good stuff, and then they'll say, Stephanie, your pregnancy is only six weeks, so you have some time to think about what you're going to do. Or Stephanie, your pregnancy is at sixteen weeks, so actually you know, there's there's no more options for you, or you know, whatever they will lie.
Speaker 2: The state of California ensures the legal right to an abortion, but this does not guarantee access to abortion care.
Speaker 3: You know, the leaders of the governor and the legislature likes to talk about California being a beacon for reproductive rights, and to some degree, yes, and then I think it's important to also say, but also and also just because we have laws on the books that protect people's rights to whatever medical care that they need, does not mean they can actually access that care. And so this is really important when we talk about Latina communities because we know, for example that I think about a third of Latina communities in California are living in remote or rural areas. So we're aware that people in Central Valley, like we knew from before, we work with our partners that access reproductive justice that runs a hotline and a practical support program. They would call us in LA and say, we've got somebody coming in from Central Valley to LA. They need to get to UCLA, they need to be there overnight, and they would be asking for people to come in for support, so for people to pick them up from the train station, take them to the clinic, maybe get them food, maybe house them, maybe watch their children. You know, there's all these different ways that you can practically support people, but there are so many barriers that can be in the way for people who are seeking that reproductive health care that they need.
Speaker 1: Lauda emphasizes that when pregnant people do not have access to safe abortion services, that the consequences can be deadly.
Speaker 3: When people don't want to be pregnant, they will find the way to not be pregnant, and so it's important for us to make sure that people have the options that they that they need right and we're seeing this unfortunately played out in other states right now, where even it's not folks necessarily that are getting unsafe abortions, it's the people who are having, you know, the ectopic pregnancies or other fetal anomalies that are actually dangerous to the pregnant person and their own lives are being put at risk. The United States government has decided that, you know, that is not as important as the potential of a fetus becoming a child and being born. And that's that's the question. We have to grapple with.
Speaker 2: The statistics around abortions and who gets them may disrupt any pre existing ideas you have of who actually gets abortions.
Speaker 3: The majority of people who get abortions are people who already have children, and I think, you know, we're kind of what I think is important to know is like Catholic women have abortions rates that are equal to other religions. Latinas have abortions in rates that are comparable to other ethnic groups. And so it's we have to really correct our thinking about it, you know. And for the longest time, the raid is basically fifty percent of all pregnancies around planned or mistimed. Right, I have two children. One of them was mistimed. I was married. I was married, I was over thirty, and you know, it was what happened, right, I wanted to have another child and so we had one. But if it had been another time, another situation, maybe I wouldn't have. And that's just the reality of how things work. And I think around this conversation, there's so much that's not said too, which is that people don't want to talk about people's sexual activity. They don't want to, they don't want to really get to, you know, get into that piece. And it's like, but that we have, but we have to, like.
Speaker 1: We have to talk about it. I learned so much from our conversation with Virginia, and I think the greatest takeaway from her story is that women do not have to justify why they get abortions. Whether you feel your too young to have a baby, or you're too old to have a baby, or you've already had a lot of babies, or you just don't want to have a baby, that any reason is truly a good reason to pursue an abortion if you feel that you need that. It is a medical service. It is medical care that is a necessity, a life saving necessity for so many people. And I really appreciated Virginia's take on that that not wanting to have a baby is a good enough reason to not have a baby.
Speaker 2: What I learned from Lauda is the legacy and history of reproductive justice, not only in California but across the country. I also really enjoyed learning about the four tenants to reproductive justice, which is the right not to have children, the right to have children, the rights of parent children in a safe and violent free community, and finally the fourth tenant, the right to bodily autonomy and gender identity. I think I think now more than ever, it's especially important to think about reproductive justice in our local community and also personally and how we enact that for ourselves and for each others. Choo Senora Sex Said is a co production between Locata Productions and Michael Dura Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: This show is executive produced by Mala Munos and theos FM.
Speaker 2: Also executive produced by Jasell.
Speaker 1: Bances, produced by Stephanie Franco.
Speaker 2: Creative direction by Mala Munios.
Speaker 1: Story editing by THEOSAFM.
Speaker 2: Music direction by Grisol Lomeli, and.
Speaker 1: Music produced by Brian Gazo Logal Lumlia