Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Do you they Elizabeth were? I was looking for you. What's all right? I got a question for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Me up here? Yeah, he knows what's ridiculous?
Speaker 1: I do you do? Yeah? I does know it. I learned so much today.
Speaker 2: What did you learn today?
Speaker 1: The interns?
Speaker 2: You look tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The interns came to me with tears in their eyes, ma'am, ma'am, and they said, we we got something from Marianna today.
Speaker 2: Mariana today, huh and are you going to get me wrong?
Speaker 1: Marianna apparently she apologized to the interns for having to make this them look this up, but like it's not that bad, really good. But so they brought this to me and they're like this was amazing. Marianna is great, oh really okay. But the thing is, it's like, okay, so, do you know what a mook bong is?
Speaker 2: Bong m u k b A n G sounds familiar? No, I would say no.
Speaker 1: It's one of those videos like people eat something on the video and talk about the food they're eating. It's like a TikTok. Yeah, exactly. It comes from the Korean. They're like, you know, and so like you're you're eating this, and then sometimes you're like, wait a second, I my lipstick's gonna get all messed up if I eat this on the television. So there's another thing I learned about called micro blading.
Speaker 2: You're just full of learning today, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh. It's like a temporary tattoo process where they like put on lips color or like eyebrows. It's not like getting them tattooed on you. It fades.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: So there's this company Wonderskin, and they do something that is called wonder blading. So it's even less permanent than the microblading. It's just lasts like ten hours. Look at me blading, Yeah, exactly. And so they're like, you know what if you're going to do these videos where you're just shoving food in your ma, but you also want to look super cute and you don't want your lipstick to either be eaten while you're eating the food or rub off all over you, we should help. And then there is a company that's like, we want people to make videos of them eating our food, but like, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Anyone's going to on this one.
Speaker 1: So these two companies Wonderskin. They made this lip thing and you put it on and you have to let it sit for a little bit and then you you like, peel it off. I think, well, yeah, I think you peel it and then yeah, you peel it off, and then there's like a color underneath. So the it goes on in a metallic green color and then you peel it off and it's a lovely rosy color. They teamed up because they wanted it to look like it's an ode to guacamole and tinfoil. So it's not from like the the like God's gift to Burrito's al Farlito. No, this was this is a chain Chipotle. Chipotle joined up with Wonderskin to do a transfer proof guawk proof lip color and it's called Lipotle.
Speaker 2: It's not called lip bang.
Speaker 1: It's called Liipotle. And it's for when you're doing a mook bung and you want, like you you know, want to stay fresh lasts all day. It's a formula that is hydrating and then you just take it off with a regular oil based cleanser. Unlike Chipotle, it's a vegan, cruelty free and gluten free, So you got that going for you while you're there.
Speaker 2: They're bringing that to the Mashupe exactly.
Speaker 1: So that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: God seemed like nice up front. This is ridiculous, Elizabeth. You tell me my eyes are up here, Look up here, Elizabeth, trying to kill a tree.
Speaker 1: That is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: To get back at a person, or maybe a lot of people, or maybe to improve your life or to improve your asset portfolio.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, all right.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, today I'm going to use up all of our one percent. But we're only talking about tree murder only. This is it is Ridiculous Crime, a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers. Heis and cons it's always ninety nine percent murder free and ridiculous. How did you, Elizabeth sar Remember when I told you about the Great Sheffield Tree War?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do, right, All.
Speaker 2: Those silver hairs were throwing themselves at the trunks of the trees to protect them, protect their beloved arbors from the choppers. Yeah right now, the wood chopper that is. Remember you were a cat and you witnessed the early morning raid where the tree removers came in like a military operation.
Speaker 1: Okay, it took a couple of years off my life.
Speaker 2: I read it, Did you looked stressed? Harry One? I would say, in that instance, the trees they were being massacred by local authorities in this senseless fight over who ran the streets of Sheffield, some who controlled the leaf is green edge. But today I have a much different version of them. Okay, today we'll be focusing not on state based anti tree violence, a term I just coined. Instead, rather, we will be focusing on freelance arbor assassins, self appointed tree surgeons, and anti leaf crimes of opportunity are boris side boy, there you go. We're just throwing terms around. I like this coined Elizabeth. You ever seen a grand, tall, old tree removed? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's a sadness to right, it really is.
Speaker 2: Okay, now flipping it. Have you ever seen a tree that's been poisoned? Yes? You have?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 2: Okay, how heartbreaking? Was that?
Speaker 1: Really heartbreaking? Because it's it's usually for like selfish means people want to view and so they poison a tree totally.
Speaker 2: Or say, say the people own the tree, right, it's their tree, and they still poison it because they want to take it down. Yeah, yeah, even that's sad it is.
Speaker 1: Did you poisoning of any type of sad saren.
Speaker 2: Poisoning of life is sad.
Speaker 1: Any kind of poisoning in life is sad.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Dose makes the poison, right, Even water can be a poison. Well, there are a few ways to kill a tree, Okay, I looked into it. I wanted to be able to speak with a thorough tare. Okay, so one you can ring it? Did you know about this? You know what this means? Ringing a tree?
Speaker 1: Refresh meat?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, the way we have veins and arteries and capillarias and also are lymph ducts that convey all the precious fluids of our body around, like all in circulation. Well, trees they have analogs. Right. Trees have skin just like us. Their skin we call bark.
Speaker 1: I call my skin bark.
Speaker 2: I know you do. I wish you wouldn't, But it's just like our epidermis. Right, It's a combination of dead and living cells that together function as this protective layer.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, now, scientists, those amongst us who study trees and plants, they have terms for all the stuff that's inside the tree bark. They break it into layers or rings, if you will. So what's in the side the tree bark? They call that the like vascular cambium. Right, don't worry, I won't be throwing a bunch of Latin terms at you. Nothing you have to remember. But I do know you prefer ancient Greek terms. Sure, so I got some of those, all right. So while we're on the subject, the ancient Greek term is floios, which was a word for tree bark. The Greek words for tree bark, which was the inspiration for this next bit of fun tree science. I want to tell you the inner cambium layers, Elizabeth. So you have these layers of skin, right, just like we have layers of scan, trees of layers of scan. That's their bark. And inside your skin you have your corpus, that meat sack of all everything that's inside the skin, right, all your squishy bits. Well, it's this mass of muscles and tendons and ligaments and soft tissue joints, organs. Right, The recently discovered interstitionum are newest part. Look it up. Most importantly, you have this network of nerves and a system of veins and arteries, capillaries, and the lymph ducks, right do we talked about well, trees, as I said, basically the same thing, but it's in rings. So the rings go, that's where there's squishy bits. Are you with me so far? Okay? So inside the tree skin, inside their bark, you will find this first ring of tissue called flow them. That's from the ancient Preek term flowios p h l oios. Now doesn't it sound like what it is? Flow them right? Flow right? So it's this network of veins that feeds sugar as in sucrose like basic sugar, table sugar, which is the product of a tree's photosynthesis. So the veins are distributing sugar from the leaves where the photosynthesis is occurring, and it goes down throughout the rest of the tree. Right, So that's that ring of flowam. Now, next inside you find the ring of xylum tissue. Yeah, these are the only two I'm gonna tell you about, so no worry. That's it. That's the last one, flom and xylum. The xylum This is a network of veins that distribute the water from the roots to the rest of the tree.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So xylum comes from an ancient Greek term elizabeth xylon yes, exactly, and which was the ancient Greek word for wood. So we've got bark and wood. Anyways, it seems fitting. So we got flohm and xylom. Now I like to think of these sugar arteries and the water veins. We keep it easy, okay, right, So this all all we learned all this stuff from one guy, This guy Carl Nagali. You never heard of him. I didn't know about him, right, Like I knew some of these plant tree scientists people like you know, like Mendel and stuff, but not this guy. He came up with all the language we have for tree parts, these three he's he was big into pollination, mixed legacy and history though. Yeah. For one, he's all into trees and plants things, right, But then he also goes he talks to his fellow scientist, Gregor Mendel, that monk who was working with the peas.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he convinced him to abandon his work on genetics. It's like Mendel, I give up the peas man, it's going nowhere, right, the guy who gives us the seeds of genetic theory. So Negali, he writes to Mendel these letters right in a hope of persuading the monk to give up on his early genetics work, because the dude Nagali. He believes that evolution was not the record of life's sloppy, messy, ongoing quest to better itself. No, no, no, which is what we think of natural selection as Yeah, he believed that nature had quote a inner perfect principle. Okay, well, you have to understand he's writing to a monk. They're both really religious. He believed that God's work would be far more organized than what Mendel is putting forward. He's basically saying, you're muddying up God's name, suggesting that God would rely on all this happenstance and chaos. So that's why he got mad at him. Anyway, the result was Mendel's absolutely correct theory for genetics gets shunted, is pushed off to the side. His gardening studies in the eighteen fifties and eighteen sixties, they go nowhere, He's out there in this monastery raising p's. Other monks are like, what are you doing. I'm doing science, guys, and feeding the monks nuts. Anyway, his whole this stuff about the inheritance of traits of peas. Right, that all gets totally missed for until the early twentieth century, all because of this guy who also tells us all about trees. Yeah, so he's like, my name's good, but I'm gonna try it anyway.
Speaker 1: So he was a special interest voter, a single issue.
Speaker 2: Vote for our purposes. This cat and aagally, he's a true tree freak, right, So using his language of flowam and xylum, this is how you get to kill a tree, right, It's all about the flow and the xylum. You can ring a tree, which means if you cut into the bark and you remove that external bark that we think of as bark, then you cut in a little further and you make a ring all the way around the tree, just like an inch or two inches you know, I guess tall wide. I don't know how you'd want to think of it like a ribbon cut, you know, right. Yeah, you go in deep enough to get into those soft inner rings, you'll break up the flow them and the xylum, and the tree will just start to die because you cut off the connection to the roots, and the leaves can't get water from the trunks of the and the roots, and it can't get sugar from the leaves. Tree dies. All you have to do is just ring that right, So that's one way tree killers operate. He may not like this next one, Elizabeth. It's a little more violent. You get out of drill and you go to town like your man Huck from Scandal.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you drill holes and you pour in poison and herbicide like round up, and you don't go for all that fancy chemical war Yeah, you can go with also the good old fashioned standby gasoline or get the petroleum distill. It's really ebs and salts. Maybe I don't know about that one.
Speaker 1: He people who get rid of tree stumps that way and you pour that seems very natural. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I had old paint boss, Elizabeth back when I was a house painter, and he had a stump in his backyard and a BlackBerry bramble, and you know about those, neither of which could he kill off. So he was engaged in this long prolonged chemical warfare battle with the BlackBerry bramble.
Speaker 1: You just have to let go into the BlackBerry brand and enjoy it's there.
Speaker 2: It's you now have BlackBerry, and.
Speaker 1: Thank god, it's like my favorite fruit.
Speaker 2: His whole fence was a black perry bramble, so he would also he would he had that stump as well, right was in the center's backyard. He hit that thing with paint thinner like from old job sites NAPFA, which is like one of the craziest petroleum the still its right. Then one time we poured muriatic acid on it from a job. We were pulling the paint off a floor, off a cement floor. He would drain any chemicals he had in his garage. He wanted to get rid of stump, all right, Yeah, poor Davis. Now this thing would not die right. The stump just kept going. So he started cutting into it, right, and then he would like then green shoots would sprunt out and get all math. I was. I was not aware. I don't. I would want to say it was like some type of fruit tree, but I don't remember. It's a big big stump. Was this big, like like big like I would see, like I'm trying to think of something as a.
Speaker 1: Comparative, like a manhole cover.
Speaker 2: Bigger's little bigger than a manhole cover. Like it was a big daddy like yeah, like real real wide. Right, So and this thing is basically using these tree fresh green tree shoots to give my boss the middle finger. So like I show up, he's all pistol look on that tree and I'm like, O, looks great. He's like, no, no, the stump's a triumph. Yeah, exactly right. So he would mix up chemicals basically like a bomb maker and just keep pouring them on this stump, and then a week or two later more green shoots like this is a He's like, I loved the tree, and I loved how much it made my old paint boss Larry shout out to Larry how much he would just go nuts, right, But anyway, he moved on to the third thing you can do, which is expose the roots and douse them in poison. So he tried that. He dumped raw toxic waste in his backyard. For a while.
Speaker 1: People and Davis have to only like drink out of a brit of water flow.
Speaker 2: That's because of the agricultural run. But it's a Larry Yeah, he had big time boomer energy where he's like everyone does this. I'm like, yeah, from Texas, nobody does this out here. Anyway, When that failed to work in the stump, now now it's like no longer flat top. You can't even use it as like, Oh it's a stump, I can sit on it, talk to a kid. No, it's a pock marked battlefield, but partially exposed, fully defiant moss and roots and stuff and the stub of this trunk right anyway, at this point, he gets down to brute force, right, so he went at the exposed roots with a chainsaw, and then the root ball is basically too big to pull out, so he's got a sauce all he's trying to get down to it. He took that tree stump down, chunk by chunk, bit by bed till finally we sell you the top of like the whole top of the root ball. And he realizes that's way more work than I'm willing to do. So he's like, this tree will outlive us all God bless and he gave up right then and there right, grabbed his shovel and started covering the exposed roots. Left. I bet if you went to that backyard Davis and I could take it to the house today, you would find a tree growing that exact same spot, possibly a circle, a small circle of trees growing. Anyway, This is where I learned from those big, loud, rolling thunderstorms you have in the South in the summer that the only real way to take out a tree is to saturate the hell out of the ground and then knock it over somehow winderic. You know, another tree falls on it. Yeah, you can go full lumberjacket, you know, kind of cut into one side, pull out the saws, cut it down, or you know, you know, if you can, you want then you want to aim for a spot like that's much more difficult. But he could out the ropes and cables. You can yank those suckers down.
Speaker 1: The guys who cut down trees like that are total artists.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I watch them drop it, the precision of.
Speaker 2: It, and the good ones use ropes they can really guide it down. And then some of them. I've watched guys with just the spikes and they're up there slaying with it and dropping it exactly where they want. I prefer more a little more serious horsepower. I want a truck or attractor to pull the tree down. That's me. I come from the South. But also, as you know from the South, what a lightning strike will do to a tree. Yeah, it will just blow the tree up. Yeah, And you know how it happens. The flow them in the xylom the water instantly boils and then the pressure inside just explodes apart the tracks. It superheats, the super boils, so you know, Or you could do what my old paint boss Larry would have done, if he could have in California. And you get yourself some old tree stump remover or as he would call it, dynamite, or I'd call it TNT. Now you take that TNT and you see ignited with a detonation of some sort of kaboom, you blow the hell out of the tree. Now, that's the way he did it back in Texas, at least that's what he'd tell me. In the backyard. In California, that wasn't possible, so he bemoaned lament. He wasn't in the lone Star Republic seat of the Bear Republic anyway. So that's what we're talking about today, Elizabeth, folks who'd like to kill a trade. So take a little break when we get back.
Speaker 1: You've given me all these like funny folksy stories to soften me up.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and that we're too bad, No, I'm trying to like, let you see that the humor in it all. Now, we're gonna kill some trees. I'm sorry and we're back by Hi. Sorry apples, Hey those are good? Did you slice this? Do you have any orange slices too? So as we've covered us the house, now let's get into the who and the why of true right. Often when it comes to tree killing, much like murder, it's someone the victim knows. Yeah, now that is if a tree can know someone, I don't know what that means. So you know what I mean. It's like typically someone close to the tree, maybe that's a better way to put it, or more specifically a neighbor usually. So there's this one story I found a fifty one year old woman, Elizabeth living in. Her name was not Elizabeth, your name is, my name is, but she was living in Madiskin, Madiskin, Madison, Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, anyway, Madiskin is like the Portmanteau.
Speaker 2: You don't want to go to Madiskin, just trust me. Anyway, Elizabeth Madison, lovely town, but Madiskin, forget about it. Anyway, This woman, she loved her cottonwood tree. You know anything about cottonwoo tree is a nice tree. This leafy beauty grew in her backyard where she had planted it a decade earlier. Now, this bad boy was thirty feet tall. Dang all right, grand old lady of a tree so well it would gaze out into her backyard and admire all that green foliage and like that was like in the spring. Obviously in the summer, she would appreciate the shade.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna look up a cottonwood tree.
Speaker 2: Keep going. She would also then, like in the summer, you know, admire the shade of the tree. And then come fall, she would enjoy the dropping of the leaves that the cat can yeah that winter. Yeah, And then she she's it's as her tree slept through the winter, so beautiful.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at it.
Speaker 2: It's limbs, barren and empty, only to have then the promise of news fresh spring growth to look forward to. She loved this tree in all of its many ways and shapes and sizes, right, I guess forms Anyway, one spring, just as this newly grown spring leaves were popping out, She's all excited. She noticed her tree seemed to be in ill health. She's like, what the heck, this is spring. I don't understand what could be possibly wrong. Just as the new growth emerged, Elizabeth, it soon began to fall, like it just skipped right over summer.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: These leaves within a short time of popping out, they grow a little bit and then they chart to turn green. Then they kind of will wither and drop. She was like, she then thought about it. She's like, this is not nature. This is only one thing typically, but you'll see those the symptoms are different. This was the whole tree all at once.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was no like hanging like moss or like in nothing that was like some kind of like area. When you see tree diseases, there's usually an indicated area, right, Yeah, this case, it's just dropping leaves, like the whole thing's being starved or poisoned. So some woman she calls the police in tears, Elizabeth. You see, she suspected her next door neighbor was trying to kill her beloved cottonwood tree. The police that come out to her house, because it's Wisconsin, they got nothing better to do. They're like, yeah, let's go do it. I'm kidding, I know. So that she they tell her, right, what's going on? Ma'am, like, you called us, what can we do? G it's on my tree. They're like, oh, let's get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 1: Was it dropping all that cotton in her in the neighbor's yard some kind of guessing. So messy trees, they are a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a messy dropper, we'll say, right. So she believed her next door neighbor wanted her tree dead. The cops are like, let's go talk to them. You can stay here, ma'am. They go next door, they speak to the neighbor, the cops. While they're there, they spot in the backyard a small white funnel and it was quote protruding from one of four holes on top of the root with a tinted residue inside the funnel. A short distance away sat a container with a chemical smelling liquid inside.
Speaker 1: So the roots went into the neighbor's yard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exposed roots in the neighbor's yard. But you do test that, right, It was written in cops speaks. It may have been a little bit weird. But the neighbor had drilled a hole in the tree root that extended, as you noticed, into his backyard. He then used a funnel to pour some horrendous chemical concoction into the tree to kill it. The funnel was still sitting there in the pouring position in the tree root when the cops arrive at his door, right on.
Speaker 1: The side of the plastic funnel. Tree poison only totally kitchen yea Now.
Speaker 2: When the cops asked about the drilled hole the toxic chemicals, the funnel still propped up in the root. Wait for it, Elizabeth. According to the Madison Police quote, at first, the neighboring property owner said he didn't know what the officer was talking about. Sir, turn around, it's right there. So when the cops were really to like, we can see the funnel, bro It's like, buddy, come on, come on, man, the root. If you're treat neighbor's tree, you come on. He's like all right now, as the Madison PD reported quote, he later conceded the liquid in the container could be round up, but he felt he didn't break any laws because everything that had happened was on his property. He's trying to act like a tree's roots. Come like, what are you a child? Anyway? This neighbor was a fifty nine year old man. The cop cited him for criminal damage. The woman who'd planted and raised this cotton went try told the police. Quote, if the person had a problem with the root or any plant encroaching on his or her property, they could have come to her and worked out some type of resolution.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, instead the tree was killed in a cost alone a few thousand dollars to have it removed.
Speaker 1: She might have planted it a little close to the lot line.
Speaker 2: Oh but yeah, but I'm taking it's something that some conversation could be had pay.
Speaker 1: For the half of the problems in this world. Yeah, seventy the problems in this world I'm not talking about like geopolitical no interperson in people's lives could be solved with just speaking plainly, speaking up when it bothers you, without you know, coloring it with emotion or any kind of stuff like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also it's being honest about how you feel to the to the extent that you feel and to the person who's making you feel the way you feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that it's not a personal affront when people bring things to your attention exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, so that's how we can play out on a small scale. Now, however, there are larger coordinated efforts to remove trees. Typically those efforts are led by fat cat developers, greed head house flippers, the people you like to call violently wealthy. Yes, right, So, last year the Washington Post published a story about how in the nation's capital, the stately old trees were under attack by developers. Two grand old white oak trees, each one hundred inches in circumference. Big daddies had penny sized holes drilled into their exposed roots, then poured poison into the trees. The once lush, verdant oak trees were soon spindles, moribund, pathetic sites a little bit, and soon after that they were dead. So who would do such a thing? Turns out was a DC developer. He was eyeing the undeveloped lot and he poisoned the trees to clear the lot and get a hold of the land. They took out two oaks and two other elm trees. They killed them because it would have been they would have had to pay fines for removing the trees, right, so they're like, well'll just kill them and they'll take care of itself. City can clear them. Well, the city, of course found out they discovered the tree murdered. The developer was fined one hundred and forty four thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: They shouldn't be allowed to develop on that. That's a punishment to.
Speaker 2: That's that totally you know, now interesting you bring that up. This dynamic isn't limited to America. So over in the UK, developers, real estate firms, they often determined the value of a land of a or so it's say a home before and after tree removal. They literally will do this. So for homes with an unobstructed view of say the coast, that can raise the value of a home by a fifth. We're talking like a good amount. So Adrian Dunfood, director of Taylor Made Estates and Sandbanks, he said of potential home sales in his area, quote, a house with no view that probably one point five million pounds. A house with the the tree in front of it has probably got a partial view. But the gain and value by removing that tree might be about twenty percent. So that's three hundred thousand pound markup removing a tree or a few trees, right that suddenly that round up starts to look pretty tempting, right. So this is why down in Australia some wealthy communities have taken a more proactive stance against just blatant tree murder. So at Black's Beach, Great Beach in Queensland, there was an incident where forty trees got the chop right. This was to clear an ocean view. The local town council in Mackay, they learn about this and the tree murder, so they vote to erect enormous billboards in the exact spot where the trees were removed, thus blocking the newly cleared view. So McKay town council was like, you take away the trees to get a better you, we take away that view.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy, I thought like that.
Speaker 2: One thing I noticed I was looking around the world, and obviously mostly this was English language newspapers, so there was some biases I would have. But in the these news outlets lately there's been an increase in tree killings around the globe. Really, Oh yeah, why what's motivating all this arbor side Elizabeth?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: One British expert on the subject speculated that COVID and the lockdown is partially to blame.
Speaker 1: I blame that for absolutely everything everyone's behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said, and I quote I think during lockdown, a lot of people were sitting at home thinking, we keep asking the council to get rid of that tree, they won't do it. So I'm going to take matters in my own hands. I think in general societies taking things into its own hands, we certainly get a lot more mister Angries on the phone than we ever did before.
Speaker 1: Right, Right, that's the bad behavior. If everyone would have just like joined and focused on sourdough like a large contingent of people did. Yeah, you know, they put it into something constructive. But yeah, that totally makes sense. People sitting around can't go anywhere. You start to get like nitpicky on stuff.
Speaker 2: Man. Also, I mean there's an old saying that I used to always warned my male friends about a man who lives alone too long gets weird. Right, So like it's one of those things like you gotta be on on the look out for. I think we got a lot of men living alone, but it's just across the board. Yeah. Anyway, So this supposition, it makes a lot of sense to me, but it doesn't capture the full picture because there also seems to be a lot of pre COVID trend of selfishness, and it was also motivating this recent rise in tree killings. At least, I'll just leave it at that. For instance, take the case of the star chef who murdered an old lady's tree. Oh god, yeah, Elizabeth, Now we all know you watch TV, so I gotta ask we can talk about it. I have you ever watched any of the fine offerings from Bravo's buffet of reality TV competition shows?
Speaker 1: Oh? Like the competition?
Speaker 2: I don't know, like you know, America's Next Top Model.
Speaker 1: Or Next Tops No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Really correspond whatever the shows are. There's Top Chef.
Speaker 1: I don't like competition.
Speaker 2: I think it was like, can you make a dollhouse? I don't know what these shows are. There's these shows, the competing, and I guess parents. I don't know a bunch of parents. I need to make a dollhouse for a child just tapping their tail?
Speaker 1: You know what. I used to watch his Project Runway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one of them.
Speaker 1: I watched that.
Speaker 2: While Yeah, you know, you do actually watch more TV than I do. I don't even know, no idea. I'm not kind of doing watching TV right now in my mind. In twenty fourteen, there's this contestant for Top Chef. His name was Adam Harvey.
Speaker 3: He made it.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I don't watch that. I used to watch Iron Chefs. Okay, yeah, Food Network like Ages and the.
Speaker 2: One in Japan with the Japanese chef rely hard on them. Yeah, I've seen that really loved food, yes, and seemed to.
Speaker 1: And also seem to appreciate. What I think is the most important part of it is like how do you share it with others? And how is it an experience? Not in terms of like I'm going to take a picture of this for Instagram.
Speaker 2: Like the cloud that my food made?
Speaker 1: No ya, how do you nourish another person in an experience for them that is like pleasure? Yeah, exactly, very pleasurable. And so the stuff like Top Chef, it seems I don't I don't like whether they're all yelling at each other, and then there doesn't seem to be any kind of like appreciation for like ingredients. You know, they're not looking at this and being like, oh my god, this is a beautiful tomato, which is I think an important part of totally.
Speaker 2: I think if you and Alice Waters had a show, that's what it would be yeah, right, it would just maybe like listening to her presenting a tomato, presenting a peach, that's the show. It's just yeah, exactly perfect. Such. But anyway, so twenty fourteen, this guy Adam Harvey, right, he makes it pretty far in Top Chef. He was the tenth chef eliminated, and I guess there's sixteen chefs. Not that far anyway, halfway, he made a little past halfway. So anyway, he's on Top Chef and though he didn't come close to winning, he did see an increase in his profile as a chef because he was on TV and he was pretentious or whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He had a restaurant in New York City and.
Speaker 1: Then one of those chefs that's like has all the tattoos and all I love pork belly.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm aggressive. Yeah, he was like, I'm a trendy spot where they boast their use of quote farmers market ingredients and they also had a farmed party vibe as their thing. Oh boy. Oh yeah. So when he first launched the restaurant, he attempted this gorilla marketing campaign. He tagged the restaurant's logo all over the New restaurant's Park Slope neighborhood. I mean everywhere, not just the alleys in the walls, but the business fronts, newspaper, vending machines, scaffoldings, subway stops at Park Slope, angwanas tech, even the sidewalk with they tagged tacky. So yeah, so the when his fellow business owners and new neighbors were pissed that he'd tagged the whole hood, Adam told him it was all it's temporary, faint man, It'll wash off in a few days, let it rain. It'll all to be a funny memory, right, it might last like a month, thirty days. He said that was not the case. Elizabeth lasted longer than that. One neighbor took to Instagram to post and I quote what genius on the marketing team thought that vandalizing the neighborhood was a good advertising idea. Some of us actually live here and care about the neighborhood. So that was the attitude of his neighbors. Fast forward to twenty eighteen. He's now renamed this restaurant and calling it now Bar Saloumi. I don't know, it's still farmed a party though, as its general Ethos. Yeah, I thought you like that. And part of his new vibe is to be eco friendly, right, because he's changing with the times. You know, I got to update the tattoo. So he installed solar panels on the roof of the home. He just in Brooklyn, near Prospect Park. I'm just sitting in all the names. Yeah. The homes listing mentions how the home is on this quote tree lined street and includes a photo of an enormous tree in the backyard of a neighboring home as evidence that the trees are both in front of and behind the home a tree lined street. The neighbor was a retired New York City public school teacher. She moved into the neighborhood in nineteen ninety two. Celebrity chef he buys a property next door to this woman. He complains to his new neighbor that her enormous tree looks sick to me, looks like it may be dead. This is Elizabeth, this tree. I want you to picture this tree. It was about somewhere between seventy and ninety feet tall, okay, she the woman described it as seven stories tall. Dan right, It was clearly thriving. This douchebag want to be celebrity chef. He wants to play diy agronomist, so he declares the tree to be dead or dying. Well, She's like, I don't believe that this tree was one of the major reasons I bought this home in nineteen ninety two. I've taken care of it the entire time. Not only that, I've had like you know, arborous recently confirmed it's doing well. So she has an The actual arbor is confirmed the tree is healthy, not dead or dying. So this elderly neighbor, the former schoolteacher, she tells this wanna be celebrity chef kick rocks right. So he was like, oh, now, remember this echo friendly solar panels the wannabe celebrity chef installed on his roof. The seven story tall tree shaded some of his solar panels. So what does he do is what's cutting down the amount of sunlight that he can turn into green energy? That tree turning sunlight into green energy.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I feel like you tell me these stories just to get me really really mad. Research the absolute worst people that Elizabeth is just gonna like, can we raise Elizabeth's blood pressure.
Speaker 2: Retired school teacher bullied by wannabe celebrity chef, which because he's echo friendly. So what is this, Adam Harvey?
Speaker 1: Do let me go back to lunching my job and tell.
Speaker 2: Me he secretly hires a tree treaming service to come out and chop down the limbs that extend over the property line and well past that obviously, because you know those lines are hard to draw. So he starts cutting into her tree. The retired school teacher now she has to go and pay for a lawyer. She sends the wannabe celebrity chef a cease and desist order. So what does he do now, Elizabeth? Oh god, he gets out the drill and he finishes the job himself. But this Jabbroni, he gets spotted killing the tree. All the other neighbors who have views of the backyard witness him drill holes into the tree roots and pour in some kind of toxic sludge. This is on the April thirtieth, right, We're just say the actually actually is the date April thirtieth. The neighbors who witnessed the attempted tree murder, they phoned the police that very day. The Brooklyn PD take it as seriously as it would be in Madison, Wisconsin. They roll out the spring into action. They arrest the wannabe celebrity chef. Two weeks later, he gets arraigned on charges of criminal trespassing and criminal mischief. Now get this, he and his wife had not even moved in yet. They were still renovating the home, and now all of their new neighbors hate them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Has one neighbor told the New York Daily News, and I quote, he's outraged everyone in a half mile radius. It's really hard for me to follow what he's thinking. It's arrogance and a wrong sense of entitlement to come here destroy his neighbor's property.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, according to New York state law, which feels like, by the way when I read it, a very old law. Quote, if any person, without the consent of the owner thereof cuts, removes, injures, or destroys, or causes to be cut, removed, injured, or destroyed any underwood tree or timber on the land of another, and action may be maintained against such person for treble the stumpage value of the tree.
Speaker 1: That you know, there's a there's a subreddit tree law that is fastest there is.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And it's like they're all people will take their issues there and it's it's it's very intricate, and this the treble damages get brought up quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is all new to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also I mean then there are issues of like if it's hanging over onto your property what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally. So in this tree on this tree tree law, tree law's tree laws subredded? Are these like lawyers helping people or just people all containing like this is what happened to me? Or are the people get away with it?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: So I had to learn about things like the stumpage value of a tree, right yeah, So anyway that what the law means is if you chop down a tree, you have to pay obviously triple its value or treble. And according to the estimates of New York's Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers, quote, a mature tree can add one thousand to ten thousand dollars of value to the home. So go ahead and trouble that. And now you're looking at a price tag of three thousand to thirty thousand, right, but for this wanna be celebrity chef. This sixty year old tree was seven stories tall. It's stumpage value is almost difficult to estimate. One developer estimated the tree could be worth quote hit it's in the four to five figure range. Now triple that. So Additionally, the wannabe celebrity chef is responsible for the cost of removing the tree he killed and also replacing the mature maple tree. So teacher gets a new old tree. I don't know how that works out anyway. The judge also is shued an order of protection for the retired school teacher, so she doesn't ever deal with the wannabe celebrity chef anymore, and he can't talk to her.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there you go. That's a good one. I kind of thought, right, let's take a little break, and after this I got a couple more.
Speaker 3: Nice Elizabeth, Hey, look at us now for this next story, I've mentioned it before, but I wanted to go a little deeper this time.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, do you remember the Alabama super fan who poisoned the Auburn trees at Tumor Circle in Passing in the story? Okay, well dateline ope, Laika Alabama are purp Harvey Updike Junior. Who is Harvey Updike Junior. Yeah, great question, Elizabeth, we have your head on the sea.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Harvey Almorn Updike Junior was a retired Texas State trooper. He moved to Alabama for his sunset years. There he became a huge fan of the Alabama college football team. Alabama's main competition is it's in state rival Auburn, So each year they face off in the Iron Bowl. Okay, both football programs legendary and are known for their excellence on the field. Like, for instance, I know you don't really follow to college football. Neither do I, but I did know this. In a four year stretch between two thousand and nine and twenty twelve, Alabama won three of the four college football national championship titles. Wow. The other one was won by Auburn. Oh yeah, so that only intensified the rivalry.
Speaker 1: Is Alabama roll Tide.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, right, So at Auburn, there's this spot on campus called Toomor's Corner. It's where a two are known as tumors trees are proudly displayed at the entrance to the campus, right, living icons of the school.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: So Alabama also had a very famous coach. This is Auburn with the trees. Now Alabama, the other school, They had a very famous coach named Bear Bryant. You may have heard about it.
Speaker 1: It sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a very like Taciturn hard not my favorite. But anyway, when he died, it was rumored that Auburn fans went to Tumor's corner and celebrated the passing of their rival's beloved coach like cheered, danced around the tree. This was in Discuss nineteen eighty three. So oh, I'm not writing it off and just letting you know where it was nineteen eighty three, So the story takes place. This story takes place in twenty ten. Okay, so the converted Alabama fan, mister Updyke Junior, was still carrying that anger in his heart even though he wasn't a fan from back then. I don't know how he just transported the anger forward in time, put it in his heart, and pretended like it had been there since eighty three.
Speaker 1: I just want to feel they belong.
Speaker 2: They want to be agreed, I think, especially on these emotional terms, like I got my team, their team This is a great way to have Yeah, this seems very human. Ye. Anyway, the story goes in November twenty ten, after Auburn one that year's Iron Bowl, the rivalry game between Auburn and Alabama. Quote Al from Dadeville took it upon himself to punish Auburn with some tree murder. And this genius then called a local radio station and confessed what he'd done. He called himself Al from Dadeville. Since his middle name is al morn right, I'm guessing that's why he called himself Al from Daydeville. He also wanted to hide his identity, but he also wanted credit for what he had done, so he called a local radio station. I don't follow it myself, but those are the facts.
Speaker 1: This is a very sad man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In anyway, he indeed what did live in Dadeville, Alabama. So whatever, Elizabeth, I can tell you about him. Instead, I'd like you to close your eyes and I like you to picture it. You are a new producer for the Paul Finebaum Show, a call in radio show. It's January twenty seventh. It's your first day. You've just moved to the area after your previous job as a celebrity. Catwalker fizzled out after Selena Gomez fired you for getting a raincoat for her hairless cat on a day it didn't even rain in La. As the song goes, it never rains in La But whatever. You know what, you were fired, and now you've moved on. You're in Alabama working in local radio. You love it. And since it's college football bowl season is just concluding down there in Bama, the folks still want to talk SEC football. Studio phone rings through. You screened the caller. It's a man who says his name is Al from Dayville. He seems a bit odd, but then again, many of the callers you've spoken to today seem a bit odd to you. Anyway. After speaking to him briefly to find out what he wants to talk about, you pass on your notes to the host, letting him know what to expect. After the commercial break, you had a glowing red button and you patch through the call. Then you give the signal to the host Paul, and you hear, hey, Paul, how you doing h well? Well? Thanks? When Bear Bryant died, I was living in Texas. I really didn't understand the Alabama Auburn rivalry, but a good friend of mine who live in Birmingham sent me a copy of the newspaper showing the Auburn students rolling Timor's corners celebrating Bryant's death. Uh no, stop, stop, stop, stop stop. I even though I know you what you just got through saying, and even though I know what you're quoting from a newspaper, I just have the most difficult time ever believing that Auburn students rolled Tumor's corner with the news broke that coach Bryant died. Does anyone else remember that? I don't you want me to send you a copy? I still have the newspaper clipping. Well, I'm kind of awkward here because I'm not doubting your truthfulness. I'm just are you guys in the other room as in as much shock as I am? I mean, that is just one of the most shocking things I've heard. I do not want to believe that is true. As one of the other guys in the other room. You look around at the other guys. All of you are confused, all of your faces, some have laughs, beginning to decorate their lips with a knowing smile. We got a live one. Their faces seem to say, okay, well, let me finish my story. Uh, okay, this year I was at the iron Ball. No way that could be true. Well, okay, this year I was at the iron Ball. Oh okay, uh yeah, well I saw where they put a scam I'm Newton Jersey on Bear Bryant statue. Okay again, that's twenty eight years later. Paul rolls his eyes at you, like, what have you done? Well? You hope he's not secretly pissed you on your first day. Okay, Well, let me tell you what I did. The weekend after ironbol I went to Auburn, Alabama, because I live thirty miles away, and I poisoned the two tumors trees. Okay, well, well that's fair. I put Spike eighty DF in them. Did they die? Do?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Did they die? They're not dead yet, but they definitely will die. Is that is that against the law to poison a tree?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, I really don't now I don't know. Okay, well, oh okay, roll damn tied. Click So that, Elizabeth, you look at your boss, Paul fine Bomb and you mouth the words I am so sorry. But he knows this is just another day on Alabama Sports Talk radio. Now, believe it or not, that was the actual full conversation between him. That was the call with Paul finebaumb and this was al from Dadeville. A little more than a week later, he also called a professor at Auburn University and he confessed he had knowledge of who poisoned the trees, and then he hung up.
Speaker 1: What is wrong with this?
Speaker 2: This wants to be found out. So, as you know, SEC football is second only to Jesus in the South, and it's a close second, right, So the authorities they get called in. They're like, we're gonna get to the bottom of this. So the FBI, the US Marshall Service, State of Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries, their Pesticides Management section, the Tallapoosa County Sheriff's office, the Dadeville Police Department, and Auburn University's police department, and other administration officials all get involved in finding out who this guy is. Solving the mystery of who poisoned Auburn's beloved trees. Didn't take them along, Elizabeth. Yeah, they got to the heart of it. They were able to match the phone number and identify the voice of the tree killer, because of course it's recorded. I played for you something that was on YouTube. People recorded it. They're like, what who is this guy? Evidence was easy, like it was match the voice. Anyway, Auburn University confirmed their trees had indeed been poisoned. Twenty four hours later, Harvey updyke ak Al from Dayville was busted. The sixty two year old now sixty two year old former Texas State trooper was arrested charged with a felony criminal mischief. At first, he denied poisoning the trees, but then before his case went to trial, he confessed outside the courtroom before a reporter from the Auburn student newspaper. No, some student newspaper reporter got him flustered to the point that he admitted it to him and basically, I killed your trees. You guys are mad, like whatever. I don't know exactly what he said, but he couldn't help him with So the judge has to help proceedings at that point because he's compromised the whole trial by confessing outside of court. So now later there were doubts if the former Texas State trooper was mentally competent to stand trial. Updike pleaded not guilty for reasons of mental defect. That was his own defense. He was tried, convicted, and sentenced to six months in jail, five years probation in order to pay eight hundred thousand dollars in restitution. After serving seventy six days inside, Updike, he gets released right and he gets cleared to leave the state of Alabama because they're like, get the hell out, and so even BAMA fans were like, do not say roll tide. I swear to God, I will smack you. So his probation forbade Updike from ever setting foot on Auburn's campus, and he had to complete an anger management program. When he got out, he'd grown a full jailhouse handlebar and mustache. So he's got it looks great. Anyway, he tells the gathered press. Did he plan to move to Louisiana LSU watch her anyway? Just before his release from jail, he had only one request, as his lawyer said, he wanted a banana, and he got a banana. That's it. Wait, I don't know, Elizabeth that was in the stories. That was like, really, it was hilarious. He wanted a banana, and he got a banana. That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: So his lawyer, though, also did add one other point. He's very sincere. He wants to go back to Louisiana and never wants to be heard from me ever again.
Speaker 1: From Louisiana. Go back.
Speaker 2: He may have been born there before he became a Texas State trooper. So anyway, a laudable goal for the man. But of course he didn't do that. The siren call of viral fame couldn't be resisted. Elizabeth our fellow iHeart podcast host Morocca from Obituaries covered this story and pointed out in his post release Updyke told CBS News quote, I wanted Auburn people to hate me as much as I hate them. I just don't like Auburn. You know, there are several things in this world I really and truly don't like. An Auburn is one of them. Okay, got hating his heart.
Speaker 1: You know, he didn't even go to any of these business.
Speaker 2: You know what that is in the South, it's more of a regional thing or like an aspirational thing. Going to the school has nothing to do about your diehard legacy. At the allegiance to.
Speaker 1: The school concept to escape.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, these are not you know, it's not their alma mater. So anyway, it's rising to learn this guy's a former Texas State trooper. I wait, no, it's not at all. Ohay, sorry Texas, you pulled me over too many times. Anyway, Elizabeth, Now I'd like to tell you the story of another famous legendary tree down south. It's known as the Austin Treaty Tree. It's wild to be six hundred years old. It was the tree where, beneath the shady canopy, local Native American tribal leaders met with leaders of the nascent Republic of Texas and they signed treaties between them, making up you know, the the agreements of law and compacts. Right. That was way back then, and this tree stood for centuries. It is a beloved part of Austin. That is until nineteen eighty nine. Getting angry yep, that year. That year, not the Taylor Swift album. Nineteen eighty nine. That was when a semi coherent amateur shaman and psychoknot attempted to perform an occult ritual a psychot Yeah. Yeah, it's when people do drugs and they take it really seriously and they say psycho.
Speaker 1: Knot, You're just again, You're like, what now you're.
Speaker 2: Not communicating with yourself, you like being honest with your this is You're.
Speaker 1: Like, what kind of things do? What? What does Elizabeth get most irritated?
Speaker 2: Yes, people on psychedelics doing horrendous things to living creatures and acting like, you know, I did this because it's part of my journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, you're standing in their right there.
Speaker 2: So the story goes Elizabeth. In the spring of eighty nine, the city forester of Austin, they got a city forester, tall John Gedritis. He discovered the famed, iconic beloved Treaty Tree was dying, and not from a natural death. There were the telltale signs of poison. So there was like, for instance, a wide yellow ring of dead grass surrounding the tree. There it is, I'm seeing it. So this new growth was also on the tree was shriveled up, died, and it was also you know, dying, I guess, dried up and dying. The city forester he orders chemical analysis, like what happened? What's been you know? Going on? The analysis shows that the tree had indeed been poisoned like that was not the question. But he finds out that whoever tried to kill the tree used enough poison to kill one hundred trees. What it was just like a chemical dump. Basically, this was like that was super hard. Yeah, no past that. This is like a super fun site Larry did over time, you know, and it leached into the soil. This is just like one big dump all at once. Anyway, when news spread, the city forester's heart was warmed Elizabeth by his fellow citizen's reaction. According to local station kV u E, the citi's forester get right to said quote, the people of Austin responded with outrage and love. People came here and prayed, brought chicken soup. I don't know why treated chicken soup. I think it's for him. Anyway. They left money crystals. We spent a couple hundred thousand dollars, but we didn't have to spend city money because h Ross Perot, the Texas industrialist and former presidential candidate, called me and said, no matter how long it takes, just send me the bell. That was good for us about it right now?
Speaker 1: Not only that, and he he stuffed up totally yeah.
Speaker 2: Ah truss pro used to let throw his money around for things he believed in it. There's stuff about him storry with the Afghanistan and anyway, So not to get an all sidetracked. But now at this point the story goes viral, right who killed the treaty tree? Others from around the country, even around the world, Elizabeth, they come in to try to help us save this beloved tree. So botanists, agronomous, arborous all labor together. They create a canopy to shade the tree from the punishing Texas summer sun. They add a mister system to kind of like, you know, keep it cool and wet. Tell them even experimented with this constant like drip system or they would feed sugar water like an ivy bag right into the tree.
Speaker 1: It's like a tree ICU totally id.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they had like like thirteen different guys doctor House trying to save this tree. This I thought you'd like this, right, but I didn't want to leave you out too bad at the end. No, No, let's keep listening. Don't worry. But no one had any guesses as to who would do such a thing as to poison the tree. Now that they've kind of got the tree in the ICU as you wind out. Yeah, they still had no leads on the perp till one day someone contacted the police Elizabeth. They said their friend, a man named Paul Steedman Cullin, had bragged no relation to Oprah's a boyfriend anyway that we know that we know of, bragged to them that he'd killed the treaty tree. The police were like, what are you sure. You seem kind of like a dirty hit beat to us. The guy's like, look, my friend, I swear to God it's him. He did it. The cops were like, okay, well, would you be willing to wear a wire and get a confession.
Speaker 1: From your friend as I would? I hope he said.
Speaker 2: This dirty hippie friend was like, mike me up. So he went in there. Cops outfitted him with a listening device mike whatever, and they sent him to go talk to Paul Steadman Cullin to get him to confess again to tree murder. So, sure enough, this guy does it. He's got no brains. He's just like, oh, yeah, I killed that tree, or kill another tree, right, like he that's not exactly what he said. But he gets subsequently arrested and tried. At his trial, the police they play the secret recording of Culland's confession. What emerges is the motive Elizabeth according to Austin police, and I quote, it came out in his trial that he was in love with his counselor at his methadone clinic. Oh good god, I'm sorry. I just knew this would go. And this is Austin's Forrester good ryde Is he added the mo for this love struck occultist with the former heroin problem trying to get clean. According to him, Collins quote drew a magic circle at the base of the tree and would put something of his own or his spurn love and the tree would die or he'd die. So it was sort of a magical ritual or spell like that. So in other words, this guy tried to kill a six hundred year old tree to gain dark sex magic powers and convince his methodone counselor that he was the man of her dreams. That's what happened to Who told him to do this? The universe, Yeah, the cards, the crystals, the universe. I don't know, I don't know how one reaches this conclusion, but there was some arcane, abstract math I'm sure done. Later in the trial he changed his story. He said he was innocent. I don't know what all this occult stuff is. Despite what he'd confessed earlier. The jury was like, yeah, no, you're guilty as hell. We're gonna put you under the jail. So he was sentenced to nine years in prison. Yea, yeah, he serves three of them. But there was a silver lining in all of this other than in him getting jail time. You know one thing I think you I think you'll like this when Elizabeth, I swear to God look at this face.
Speaker 1: I sometimes but I trust that the Austin.
Speaker 2: Treaty Tree survived. So we got that going forest had some scars from the murder attempt, but it's still thriving, amazing. That's not the exciting part. That's not the part I think you'll like. Yeah, the silver lining is this. Remember the Austin City Forester. Yeah, John Gadritis, Well, things worked out really well for him and his efforts to save the blood of Tree. I met this wonderful girl and I was going to get married to her. So underneath the Treaty oak, I knelt down and proposed to my wife. I chose this tree to propose to my wife, and this guy call and tried to kill it. So it's pretty personal. But I'm still married and the tree is doing great.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. But I thought you were going to say that he proposed to the Methadone council.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing. They fell in love, That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: The man of her treats is the tree armiste who actually they.
Speaker 2: Both were in social services. It makes a lot of sense, and he never said it was. They both tend to life. You know.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, Rightah.
Speaker 2: So last bit of good news when all those local folks stepped in and they were trying to save the poison tree, well they took shoots from the tree and planted them all over the city. So now there are hundreds of children of the tree to yoke, all growing. Oh I love that right now. In researching these stories, I noticed a few patterns, right. I was reading a bunch of these are all around. I told you in English language outlets. For one, when wealthy people kill trees, they don't go to prison or jail. They pay for the crime. I noticed, Yeah, in some ways like the developers or the other rich people. It's just like for them it becomes a cost of doing business. They could just factor it in. But when the purpose are lower incomes, suddenly we get prison in jail sentences from the same crimes of killing a tree. It's interesting America, I know, right. So, but in twenty fifteen, there was a developer in Bellevue, Washington. He iced or actually literally salted one hundred and twenty three poplar trees and because why Elizabeth, they blocked the view for his luxury real estate properties he had for sale. He was caught, tried, convicted, He caught a forty five days in jail sentence for tree killing. So they sent his butt to jail time and there the judge said she wanted to quote send an appropriate message to our community about the way we view your actions. So this trend is maybe changing. And also down in Australia, where rivers can be awarded the legal protection of a person, the lawmakers are considering making tree murder a criminal offense punishable by serious time in prison. Because here's the deal. Trees, they are the key to the planet for a lot of things. They literally are the planet's lungs. Trees are how we all breathe other than our own lungs, obviously, but they can live for hundreds of years. They improve the environment, They lower ambient temperatures, they oxygenate the air, They provide beauty shade. So far the home to animals, insects. Trees are this miracle of life's design. Right, And having read about all these tree murder attempts and successful tree killings, I gotta say I agree with the Aussies. All legal systems should defend them fioustly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another reason to love Australia.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, what's your ridiculous takeaway here?
Speaker 1: And you know, I think that if people had more respect for for things that kept them going, and you know, we'd all be better off. But we already know that. I just I want more trees. I want more trees around us. I know a lot of people, you know, they don't like the leaf drop or the you know, the stuff that comes off of pecan tree or pecan in the South. I used to come lawn pubes because but I think, you know, sometimes you have to deal with a little mess or you know, down branches occasionally.
Speaker 2: As Mendel found, life is messy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's that's how life works.
Speaker 1: That's how big believer.
Speaker 2: Trying to see too clean, too delineated, then you missed the whole. That's Gelli's problem. He wanted it to be neat, orderly, tidy, and Mendel's like, no, man, it's it's all about chaos and change and like what works best. Let life be messy. You like to say, let wild, wild be wild. I say, let life be messy.
Speaker 1: I like that to.
Speaker 2: Stand think that. No, that's it.
Speaker 1: You're ridiculous with.
Speaker 2: That, ridiculous but boom there it is. So hey you in the mood for a talkback every single time, producer d can you hook us up? Oh my god, I love g Oh great googly movie.
Speaker 1: I love this stuff. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I love gee. This is why we love your talkbacks. Please send us talkbacks. We so dig this, can't you tell?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: As always, you can find us Ridiculous Crime on the social media's We have our website Ridiculous Crime dot com and uh, as I said, the talkbacks go there the iHeart app, download it record George. You can hear your voice here on the air and also email us if you like Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com and as always type that dear producer d thanks for listening and we'll catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zara and Burnett, produced and edited by Ridiculous Crimes resident Tree Dots and starring Analys Rutgers.
Speaker 3: Judith.
Speaker 2: Research is by Known Green Thumbs, Ris Brown and Andrea song Sharpings. Here our theme song is by Thomas the Dirt Digger Lee and Travis the Old Sawed Bustard. The host wardrobe provided by Buck five, guest Harry, makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are those who speak for the Trees, then Bowling, Annual.
Speaker 1: Brown Why say it one More time? Crime?
Speaker 2: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio. Four more podcasts from my heart Radio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows