Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Now we're chewing this. Meet Friday Gangza here ready to go. New addition to the studio. If you're watching on Peacock, I finally have my gong. It's Fritzy's gong. I use it. I'll try to use it sparingly, but just for just for content.
Speaker 2: Here. I have it on the left side of my desk. And this is how the gong sounds. And if you don't grab the gong, it'll continue to vibrate for a long long time. But got the gong.
Speaker 3: That's what she said.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Satura. The day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner Tim Legler, the Mothership former three point shooting champ, will recap and get us ready for tonight and the Indiana Pacers once again an underdog six point underdogs for tonight game four eight seven seven three DP Show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Good morning, those watching on Peacock or listening on our radio affiliates around the country. Poll question from our one seat and it is a Meet Friday. And yes, we have Clam's Casino. We have fried artichokes, and we have vodka sauce, lasagna and a little bit of pesto for me as well. Who has it better than we do? Nobody? Yes, and we are cooking these on the tragger grill, just to let you know, because somebody might say, well, that doesn't sound like you're going to be cooking on a grill. Yes, yes, you can do all of that on the trigger grill. All right, Seaton poll question from hour one and then we'll head into hour two or one. We put up there.
Speaker 4: Would you rather be physically fragile or mentally disturbed? This is the Todd Fritz pole question. This is right now. Physically fragile has about the sixty three percent of that vote. We also have a very active replies in there for Dan or Alaski who said neither, which obviously is not an option, Jason Kelsey reminding him that's not an option. This is one of those poll questions that makes the like alpha male bro brain explode or I can't do neither.
Speaker 2: I would never are you calling out or lost?
Speaker 4: It's just a joke. It's just it's just a joke.
Speaker 2: We have to say that often though, with people who I.
Speaker 4: Don't really think there's anybody who wants to be either of those. That kind of thought that was implied, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fritchie had a couple of poll questions Friday the thirteenth. I was superstitious. Are you extremely a little bit about a few things? Not at all, that's just silly. I am superstitious about some things, and they they're random things. But you know, if I'm walking and you walking on sidewalk and you don't want to walk on the cracks, or if I'm playing baseball or softball and you're walking you jump over the white line. You know, there were little things. How many times I would dribble before I would take a free throw, Just little things like that.
Speaker 5: Yes, hun, what about a superstition that some consider good luck, but in the moment, it's really not.
Speaker 3: Like when the bird droppings hit your shoulder?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never thought that. Or raining on your wedding day.
Speaker 3: How could that pass would be a good thing?
Speaker 2: No, yes, because it did rain on my wedding day. And all I know is there were a lot of tears and I gave I gave the hey, it's good luck to rain on wedding day, and then all of a sudden there's no response, just to look back, and I go, okay, all right, we'll go outside. What do you want for Father's Day? Cool presence, a nice dinner, golf, outing, trying new things, experimenting in the What are you doing, Tome?
Speaker 3: I think it needs to be one of the options.
Speaker 5: You don't have to pick it.
Speaker 3: It needs to be addressed. Okay.
Speaker 2: I think it is peace and quiet. Okay, I want to dress.
Speaker 6: I want you to be addressed, undressed.
Speaker 2: I want you to tell me what you want for father's death.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go try new things slash. Experimenting in the bedroom with a nice dinner a close second.
Speaker 2: But the weird thing is is you'll be experimenting in the bedroom by yourself. That's mad. That tradition, yeah, a tradition unlike any other.
Speaker 5: But if it's if it's average boring, you know, physical relations versus a nice chicken palm, I'll probably get the parm.
Speaker 2: Marvin, what do you want out of that list? Cool presence, a nice dinner at golf, outing, trying new things, experimenting in the bedroom, or piecing I feel like I'm Steve Harvey. Uh on family Fuse, I need Dan, I need Marvin.
Speaker 3: Let's put him here.
Speaker 2: This is a nice dinner, nice dinner seating. What about you? Uh yeah, dinner's good, all right, Paul.
Speaker 7: I like when the kids still at this age, write something up for dad, because that lasts.
Speaker 2: All right, cool presence. Yeah. I would probably take peace and quiet, that's all.
Speaker 7: So they leave the house and leave the house to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I thought I had peace and quiet last night. And all of a sudden, all it takes is a drive by, and then somebody's like, so what's this game? Okay, it's Edmonton and it's Florida. Okay, what's it for the Stanley Cup? Who's Stanley? Well, Lord Stanley, Lord of what? And then I'm like, okay, sit down, pull up a chair, we'll watch a little hockey. And then all of a sudden they go that one team in the red is really better than the team that is in the white. I go, yeah, they're the defending champs. Okay, what do you get?
Speaker 8: I get?
Speaker 2: You get the Stanley Cup, Lord Stanley's Cup, that's what you get. Is it a cup? I go, yes, it's a yes, Marma, So.
Speaker 3: You don't want to see your family at all on Father's Day?
Speaker 2: No, I can. You know, I don't want to make it seem like I don't love them. I do like it. I do like them. I don't always like them, but I love them. But you know, just peace and quiet, that's all. Just sh nothing else. Hey, happy Father's Day. Thank you. Hey, we got you a card. Hey, thank you. Because they always go, we don't know what to buy you, I go, you know, peace and quiet, you know, how about a picture? How about a drawing, how about a painting? Anything?
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: My son gave me a grandson. And then I said to my daughters, you know, just try to compete with that, you know, can you give me something? They're not married, so no kids, but you know, no pressure either. And I got a grandson. What did you get me? I got you a Starbucks gift card? Once again, I'm in a family that is not the best gift giver. But even with my wife getting me a gift card at Starbucks for my birthday, and I'm thinking, all right, we have loaded up on a how much can you have? How much money can you put on a Starbucks gift card? Because I'm thinking, I'm I'm buying for everybody, and I did. I said that to the show. One morning, I go, hey, I got your Starbucks. Well, I go there and then all of a sudden, the barista says to me fifteen dollars. And I'm going, oh, okay, like to have fifteen dollars left, and he goes, no, you need I need fifteen dollars. I go how much was the gift card? And he goes, twenty dollars. I said to my what, I said, honey, you got me a twenty dollars gift card at Starbucks. I'd rather have nothing. I would I would be because I'm going in there, like, hey, I got all these drinks, and all of a sudden it's like fifteen dollars. I go, all right, I got fifteen left, all right, twenty dollars gift card.
Speaker 7: Twenty is late.
Speaker 2: Twenty is sad. Twenty is late twenty is sad. Twenty is regift. Yeah, twenty dollars Starbucks card is regifted. Prints on it, Yeah yeah, all right, Tim Legler, will Jonas coming up. But when they get you something that's personalized, when it's a painting and drawing, a photograph. That's when it's awesome, and I say, just do that. That's all I need. I don't need anything else. I've got everything. That's all I had. Treasure those give me just a picture, something special that you thought of. All right, Tony and Kentucky leads us off. By the way, we're keeping an eye on the US Open, and the folks on our social media were like, you said, this golf course was really tough, and I go, it is really tough. Look at Rice and the shambo, or Rory McElroy, Justin Thomas he three putted from four feet. It is really difficult. But they aren't professional golfers. If you hit it straight, put it on the green and you don't have big numbers, then you can have you know, under par round. But let's see where they are after four rounds. It's an extremely challenging golf course. And then you know, I had somebody say, oh, it's tough for you because you're not a good golfer. Yeah, it's going to be tough for everybody out there. And some will say it was unfair. The rough is unfair, the green said, you know, this is a US Open and Oakmont make makes no excuses here. Oakmont is saying, yeah, we know it's tough. We're the star here. This is the toughest golf course in America, and it's on display and we're proud that it is. Golfers know it. You can't go there and go man, I didn't know about that, or I didn't expect that. You know exactly what you're getting. And let's see how many people are under par after four rounds, because I don't think we'll have anybody under par.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, I've got a nice leaderboard for you. It's early on day two, but Brooks Kepka's on the leaderboards with Kim, Victor Hobland, John Rahm, Colin Morikawa, Adam Scott all in the top fifteen.
Speaker 2: JJ Spawn was with us at Pebble Beach a few years ago and he was a great interview. Remember him, how funny he was and he had the round of his life. Four under. Four under on that course is like eight under on other courses. You just don't put up those numbers. But we'll keep an eye on it. Another great day weatherwise. It looks like there, but you know, things will get a little windier at the greens. Get a little faster there, and the rough keeps growing by the way through the weekend. Tony in Kentucky, Hi Tony, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Damn?
Speaker 9: Happy week Saturday.
Speaker 10: You're absolutely right about the radically too, and I had the perfect perfect market of thirty two too for Bouchet.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, once again, I'm going to workshop this, but the dan N's all in agreement saying no, it should stay at twenty to fifteen hundred yards. Okay, but I'm going to see Sandler later on today as I start to drop hints about what the next movie is going to be and Happy go more to I believe it is July twenty fifth, that's when I have a screening that I am invited plus one.
Speaker 5: By the way, yes, Tom, I saw it publicized along the boards during the Stanley Cup final. That was fun. They had that all across the thing.
Speaker 6: They super imposed that a number of times throughout the game.
Speaker 2: Mow in Arizona, Hi, Mo, it's on your mind today? Good morning, Dan Dnnette.
Speaker 8: I just want to start off wishing my life happy forty something birthday, and then I want to get in on your the movie that the unseeing guys. Let's go with colors that Sean Penn is just coming out. Don Cheitle's in it, Glenn Plumber, Damon Waynams, even Mario Lopez.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know if I throw Mario Lopez in there as far as acting that, yes.
Speaker 3: Ma, But Robert Duvall was in there.
Speaker 2: Bobby Duvall, Yeah, you know him. No, but that's what people do with de Niro. It's Bobby de Niro or Bobby D. Those who are around those, you know, old time movie stars. You know it's Bobby Duvall, Oh, Bobby D.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 2: I haven't been around them. I don't even think. I don't think I've ever run into de Niro or Pacino. I don't think so well, I should say they haven't run into me. Of course. Brandon in Denver, Hi, Brandon, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Going on DP? First time? Long time? Six to a hard to fifty forty to get your wait up, So a couple of quick things. Happy Father's Day to you and the fella's everyone else out there. Mental Health Awareness month for everyone, so take care of yourselves. I also wanted to throw a quick whole question and then Otano Fritzy quick pole question who has been more clutch this postseason? Tyrese Holliburton or Leon drive title. And then for Fritzy Man, I compare Fritzy Fritzi Is to the DP show with the Lakers and Cowboys are at first a like there is no one who provides more content to your show that Fritzy does. He also just named the MVP three boy Fritzy.
Speaker 2: So thank you brand. Well, Fritzy does win Most Valuable Least Valuable dadhead just about every year.
Speaker 6: It's right along those physical and mental lines.
Speaker 3: And we were talking about before, right out of the.
Speaker 2: Middle, who has been more clutch? Leon Dreis's title, Well, he's had four overtime game winners in the postseason. That's never happened in the history of the NHL. And then he had six during the regular season. That's more than anybody's ever had in a single season in NHL history. What he's doing is historical. I think what Tyrese Halliburton is doing is having a coming out party where people are going, Wow, this guy is really good.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I think he's had big moments. I don't think he's been great in this series, but he's had moments and I want him in the fourth quarter, and I didn't like where he's you know, critiquing the talking heads and you know, win the NBA Finals. You know, don't do that after you won a game and now you want to take some shots at the talking heads. Most of the talking heads played the sport and played at a higher level than you have and probably are Hall of famers. If you win and you want to say hey to the critics, eat it. Okay, fine, but you're you know, calling him out because nobody thought you were going to win.
Speaker 9: Just win that.
Speaker 2: That's the greatest scoreboard of all time. You don't have to say a word. All you have to do is go point up scoreboard. But don't do it mid series because it's gonna look silly. Okay, se comes back to win this, and then those talking heads are gonna say the Indiana wasn't ready for this or what happened to Indiana? You had it up to one on your home floor. So that's why I just be careful with the COO. You know, they the athlete will tell you, I don't listen to what you guys say. They know exactly they listen, or somebody listens and then tells them about it. That's what happens, laur It's Kevin Durant and he hears everything. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 11: That's like when Kobe I think a reporter asked him, Hey, is the Celtics rematch a big deal to you? And before Game one he's like, no, it's just any other series. And then after they won a championship, he's like, I lie to you, guys, of course it's a big deal to me. He's like, I had to say it after we won a championship.
Speaker 2: Let me take a break. Timmy Legler is covering the NBA Finals for the Mothership. He'll join us under Pacers Game four OKC favored by six.
Speaker 1: We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: You could catch us.
Speaker 13: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich We talk.
Speaker 13: About everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Cobino on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cobino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. I think we settle on a poll question for hour two on this meat Friday seatan uh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: We have two of them working right now. We just put up there actually too. How superstitious are you extremely, a little or not at all? It is Friday, the thirteen, it is. It is most people are a little superstitious. Fifty seven percent. We also have up there, would you rather be physically fragile or mentally disturbed? Physically fragile is running away with that one sixty four percent. I'm a little surprised by that.
Speaker 2: Or you could be both, right, Tod, you can be both.
Speaker 5: You can And again, this is just a playful thing, so no one gets too sensitive, and we're not making fun of any conditions or problems.
Speaker 3: Let's say it's silly thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's mental health awareness month, so we just want to let everybody know or just have a little fun there, Okay. Jim Legler, ESPN, former NBA player and late night edition of Sports Center with Scott Van Pelt postgame coverage. So the NBA Finals legs is back on the program. So who's the favorite now?
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm not switching from OKC being the favorite. I understand. You know some people are starting to waver on that a little bit, and you know, we're caught up in this in this culture day and in sports. I'm sure you see it all the time, Like when you try to talk positively about one team, people on the other side automatically think somehow you're slamming their team by me saying I still think Oklahoma City is going to win the series.
Speaker 3: Take a shot at Indiana.
Speaker 6: I thought it would be a seven game series from the beginning because I had so much respect for Indiana's offense.
Speaker 3: They definitely got loose the other night.
Speaker 6: It's the first time in the series they really actually look like themselves offensively, and I think a lot of people think, Okay, problem solved. Indiana's figured this out, They've cracked the code, and they're good.
Speaker 8: To go now.
Speaker 6: I don't necessarily agree. I know what that Oklahoma City defense is that I watched all year. They're going to have a hell of a response tonight, and then I think they've got to make some adjustments. I think I think Mark Dagnol there's some things he's done so far that I haven't agreed with in this series, and I think he's gonna have to make some adjustments or they could be in trouble. So I think that you're going to see something different from them offensively, and certainly the defensive pressure that we've watched that team put on people all year, I think that's got to be on full display tonight. They understand falling down three to one, it could could lead to a dire situation for them.
Speaker 2: But can you get to this point in the season with the NBA Finals at stake and out coach the other coach?
Speaker 3: Can you out coach of me?
Speaker 6: I do think that there's you know, you're not talking about anything where it's like so obvious, but there are going to be decisions made on lineups, on substitution patterns, on what you run at certain times, adjustments to coverages.
Speaker 3: Those are the kind of things that I'm looking at. And I think for.
Speaker 6: Dagnault, who I think is, you know, one of the brightest guys I think I've ever talked to in this league.
Speaker 3: I didn't agree with the decision.
Speaker 6: Right off the bat to go with a smaller lineup and get away from what you differentiated yourself with against most of these teams. The reason you got Hertenstein in the off season was so that you could play the two big lineup with both guys being very versatile defensively and give teams a different look because you got thrown around in the postseason a year ago. That's the whole reason you got them. And now you gave Denver all kinds of problems with that lineup, those two guys together. And now you get to this series and you get the Indiana Pacers, and you took a look at them on film, and you go, you know what, I'm kind of worried about them. I'm worried about our ability to get back. I'm worried about our ability to cover them all over the floor, the way they spread you out and shoot the ball. So we're going to adjust before the series has started. We're making the first adjustment.
Speaker 3: It's a sixty eight win team. I disagreed with it, and he really hasn't gone back to it.
Speaker 6: They've only played ten minutes together the entire series, and they were plus seven when they play.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 6: It's a very small sample size, but it's a good sample size, and I think Indiana shooting something like twenty eight percent from the field when those two guys are on the floor together. So will it be more tonight? I think there's a good chance. Will he start him again.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe he's not gonna give in on that. Oh you know, I think we're better off the smaller lineup. I think that was a mistake going in. I also think it was a mistake last game playing Cason Wallace as much as you've been playing him. That's eighty minutes in three games. He's got seventeen total points. I know he's a good on ball defender. Aaron Wiggins just had eighteen points in game two. Comes back Game three, disappears, barely play him ten minutes, gets two shots, non factor, and they're trapping Shay all over the floor day and I think that theirs shots.
Speaker 3: To be had out of those traps.
Speaker 6: A higher level offensive player, maybe he makes Indiana pay for some of that blitzing on Shay. Instead they had Cason Wallace who was a far inferior offensive player, and so they only took twenty two threes in the game. They get shut down offensively. Is that another adjustment he makes. Maybe Wiggins gets more time again after that great game. He had a game too, and he barely saw him the other night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just trying to figure out. Also, Richard Jefferson brought this up. It was like eight thirty to go in the fourth quarter of the last game, and he said, look at the body language on Indiana. They were upright at the free throw line. Ok see, was holding their shorts there. This I mean, that's not typical in the NBA Finals where some team looks gassed and maybe maybe that's Indiana's pace that can you know, kind of wear you down.
Speaker 6: Well, it's there's no question He's right, they were gassed. I've never seen shake Gildas. Alexander looked at fatigued. I mean every whistle, every stoppage in play. In the fourth quarter, he bent over and grabbed his shorts and was taking deep breaths, trying to just compose himself. He had a play where he missed a shot and then ran back with Siakam and they threw it ahead to Siakam. Literally, Jaja didn't have the energy to even compete with him. He just got out of the way. It was a big play in the game. He let him have a layup uncontested, and it showed again his fatigue level. I think part of it for him, and the metrics all boured this out. There's ways that you can measure how heavily pressured a guy is in a game. It was the most pressure he's ever faced in a game in terms of distance between him and the defender. When he caught the ball, the shortest amount of space he's ever had on the catch, the most pressure he's felt up the floor, an average of sixty five feet up the floor, pressuring him more blitzes than he's seen traps than.
Speaker 3: Any other game in the postseason.
Speaker 6: So he had an easy way to seventy plus points in Oklahoma City. I mean, it really wasn't easy seventy. That's not what happened the other night. They targeted him Priority one, two and three.
Speaker 8: He was it.
Speaker 6: That's the only name on the whiteboard. We're gonna figure everything else out. If they start to beat us by giving the ball up. They targeted him. It wore him down, and that's what I think now they're going to say on film and then there'll be an adjustment to that and finding ways for him to conserve a little bit more energy while still being effective.
Speaker 2: Tim Legler, ESPN analyst. You can see him late night editions of Sports Center with Scott Van Pelt. I brought this up to the dan Nets before. The amount of energy you have when you're you know, a big time score, whether it's iversent Er Jordan or you know, Tracy McGrady, or go down the list of every single night you have to bring it they're bringing their best at you. But that's really what's amazing when you see these guys who can do it every single night. They have to do it every single night, and the energy it takes to put up thirty points every single night, and that's what SGA.
Speaker 8: Has to do.
Speaker 2: He has to give you thirty three thirty four a game.
Speaker 6: And that's why I very rarely throw out the word superstar because you just defined what that is and that that is a simple definition. It's every night, and it doesn't mean necessarily you're always gonna shoot well. I mean, obviously those guys have off nights too. But the one thing that you can say about all the guys you just mentioned, you're go throw Kobe into that list. You didn't mention Kobe, like they they look the same every single night. Some night's more efficient than other nights. Some nights when they're really efficient is when they go crazy and you know they're they're leading Sports Center because they have a forty or fifty point game. But some nights, you know they have off nights, but it always looks the same. It's the relentless pressure they're applying to you offensively. And some guys, you know, they have the luxury of you know, because of the nature of the position or the way they play, some nights are a little bit more passive. That's why I got to draw the line, like the superstar player, you're counted on every night to do that because even the Knights, when you don't shoot well, the pressure you're applying every possession is leading to other good things for people, And you could still win games when you don't shoot well if you're a superstar, because you have collapsed the defense, You've drawn extra guys to you. It leads to offensive rebound opportunities, it leads to open threes, it leads to stuff for your teammates because of the relentlessness with which you play. Very difficult to get onto that list because very f you guys have the stamina, the skill, or the competitive will to.
Speaker 3: Do it every single night.
Speaker 2: Switch topics here with the Knicks that when they fired Thibodeau, I thought, okay, you fire him, then you must know who you're hiring. I got the feeling that they were going to fire him no matter what happened in the postseason. They didn't expect to get to the Eastern Conference Finals. Therefore, it looks worse. The optics are bad. But then it's so public of they're asking all they're asking for permission to talk to all these coaches. Do they know who they really want here?
Speaker 6: I mean, you know who knows? Maybe they really wanted Jason. I don't know if that that that seemed to be the most the most smoke there around that one.
Speaker 2: But if you're Jason Kidd, why would you consider that?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't. I mean, I don't know. I mean that that's I'd have a hard time making the argument of why you would.
Speaker 6: And I'd say other than other than I guess the biggest one would be, Man, can you imagine being the guy that coaches the team in that city that finally gets it done for the first time in fifty plus years in that market with a fan base like that city that loves basketball.
Speaker 3: You're finally the guy.
Speaker 6: It's just like Jalen Brunson if he's if he's on that team and they're able to do it, what that's gonna feel like for Jalen Brunson where he assends to like in terms.
Speaker 3: Of how he's viewed in all time New York athletes.
Speaker 6: Like I guess that that challenge you know Dallas has wasn't that long ago that they won it.
Speaker 10: But I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I don't know when Kyrie's coming back. That's a big part of the equation for next season, assuming he makes it back.
Speaker 6: Point maybe it's the following year, Cooper Flag's second year, she still got Anthony Davis, Kyrie recovered at that point, and Cooper Flag in his second year.
Speaker 3: Who I think is they can't miss Star. Give me that situation. I'd rather have that situation than than than the next.
Speaker 6: But look to your point, then you can't all that stuff getting out and us knowing all of that.
Speaker 3: So you know, who knows you might have called five other guests.
Speaker 6: Today before me, and you're gonna pitch it like I'm the guy you wanted all along.
Speaker 3: Like I don't really know that.
Speaker 6: I think it was just three or four, okay, But now and that is so like, this is the guy we wanted all along. That's what they're gonna have to do with a press conference now whoever's sitting there, No, No, this is who we wanted it was.
Speaker 3: You know, the Lakers had that kind of that embarrassing situation in.
Speaker 6: A way with you know, Danny Hurley, Right, that open recruitment of Danny Hurley, you didn't get them, and then you go to jaj Reddick. But see for Jedjiu, Redick didn't care because he wanted to coach so badly and it's the Lakers. He wasn't going to care that he wasn't necessarily the first choice in this situation.
Speaker 2: Now, who are you going to get?
Speaker 6: Knowing that they pursued I don't know a handful of other candidates and you finally settle on a guy.
Speaker 3: So it's going to be interesting how it plays out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't see Danny Hurley in the NBA, not because he doesn't have the coaching acumen, but just the losses when you only lose a handful of games in college and then you can lose a handful of games in a week or two week period.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, the other thing is Dan you know, he's a hell of a coach. He coaches hard. You can't coach that hard in the NBA. I mean, you just can't coach those guys like that. And now would you be able to adjust to that? I mean he'd have to, he'd have to, because that's just it's too long of a season to kind of have that level of in your face intensity every day would would be difficult to manage in the NBA. There's no question the guy's a hell of a coach, and look, at times they need you need to coach guys hard in the NBA. If you don't, I think you're gonna get You're gonna get run over as an NBA coach. But but there's got to be an adjustment to it in the volume of it and and how frequently you do that. I think the guy could probably pull it off. I don't I mean his name, I haven't really heard his name yet associated with this. It seems like if he was gonna take one, this would be the one though, just based on where he's kind of been his whole life and that part of the country, and you know, being a Jersey kid, it seems like that would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: But I haven't heard his name quite yet pop up.
Speaker 2: If you could have a rematch of an NBA finals in history, same players that they run it back, what would you take?
Speaker 6: Without question, it would be the eighty four Celtics Lakers series. There's no question because and you're probably for the same reason as me. I mean, byrd is my favorite athlete of all time? You know I was, and I had no geographical connection to the Boston Celtics. I was a Bullets fan as a kid in the DC Baltimore area. Elvin Hayes was my first favorite player. But when Bird got to the league at the same time I was going to high school, that's what I wanted to be an NBA player because of him style of play with the Celtics.
Speaker 3: I loved the Lakers too.
Speaker 6: Oddly enough, Magic was like my second favorite player, as weird as that sounds, because their arrivals. So the reason I picked that one is because the Celtics lost that series in seven, so let's run it back and maybe Bird can get another title.
Speaker 2: Weird that you would have Magic as one of your favorite players since he passed a lot.
Speaker 3: That's true, but I loved playing with the guys that played that way. Okay, that was my best friend, the passing point guard.
Speaker 6: And by the way, by the way, a passing point guard's best friend is a shooter. Because I'm not putting it down a whole lot, so you're gonna get the assist.
Speaker 3: There's no gray area with me. It's going up, so you'll get the dime.
Speaker 2: Okay, career high assist in a game for Tim Legler. Let's go round the room, Todd, what do you think Legler's career high and assist?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, I'm not even sure I know. I'm gonna say seven or eight, probably, Todd.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go eight, all right, Seaton, I'm gonna go seven. All right, Marvin ten, I'm gonna Paul, you have the answer, I do. I'm gonna go nine.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Wizards versus Nets February nineteenth, nineteen ninety six dished out seven assists.
Speaker 6: Oh hey, by the way, that was checked. Okay, listen to this I got. I didn't even have no idea that was the case. I certainly didn't know that game.
Speaker 8: But I do know this.
Speaker 6: That was my second game back after missing almost a year when I tore three ligaments in my knee.
Speaker 3: I played.
Speaker 6: I came back All Star weekend, I got cleared to play. I defended my three point Oh no, ninety six. I'm sorry, I thought you said ninety seven. Ninety six.
Speaker 8: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: That was the midst of my best year in the league. Yes, I had just won the three point shootout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tim had eight.
Speaker 7: Two weeks before that, Tim had a triple single that night, nine rebounds, seven assists.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of triple singles.
Speaker 2: Did you where are your trophies for the three point shooting contest?
Speaker 6: It's just in my in my office, and yeah, in my office at all. It has a tiny little defect in the back. No one knows about this till now, a tiny little dent because when you win it and you get the.
Speaker 3: Trophy and now you got to fly out.
Speaker 6: I was playing out of San Antonio to meet up with the team on the road, so I'm carrying it on the plane. What else are you gonna do with that thing? So I'm literally carrying the trophy. Had to put it on the little conveyor through security. It disappeared for a second. I was kind of worried about it. I was looking in the other end, like wait for that thing to pop out, and it banged something along the way.
Speaker 3: There's a tiny little den in the back of it.
Speaker 2: But Eddie George, I think, had to put his heisman through TSA and they and they broke a finger.
Speaker 3: Did they break it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They did.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always look at it like this.
Speaker 6: There's a tiny little det in that it's it's it's perfect because it kind of sums.
Speaker 3: Up my career at little at the beginning, but eventually I got there.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: Uh, have fun tonight. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: That man looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Dan. Thanks Jim Lagler, ESPN, NBA n Let's She'll be with the Scott Bean Peasey postgame coverage NBA Finals. He could occasionally dish it out, but he was just a shooter. He was a spot up shooter. Still offended that he thought that he could beat me left handed from three point range. I shot right handed, he shot. We're in Detroit. It's one of the most offended comments I've ever heard. Then he said I could beat you left handed, and I was like, God, dang, we didn't shoot. We shot around, But he does believe that he could beat me left handed.
Speaker 11: Yes, Marmon, I think he's offended that you even tried to challenge him. No, No, I didn't challenge him.
Speaker 2: I challenged Greg Anthony because Legs and I are just shooting, and this is before we're going to do a Sports Center hit and Greg Anthony comes out, and I was basically saying to Greg Anthony, you don't shoot where we shoot. Greg was a fifteen to eighteen footer, and I'm like, we're shooting out here. And then I just remember Legs was like, you know, I could beat you left handed, and I'm like, man, that hurt. And then I thought, well, I'm not going to play him, because if I lose to a guy who's right handed beats me left handed, there goes my aura. Yes, Paul, how much.
Speaker 7: Time would Legler be practicing left handed threes?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: I do that seems like a big waste of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, until that moment where you need to shoot left handed again, right up until it wasn't Yeah, playing the long game. Yeah, he knew one day some talking Haird's going to go out there and he's going to say, and I gonna beat you left handed. All right, we'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Time to slide into the weekend courtesy of our friends at kings Hawaiian Sliders. Go to Kingshawaiian dot com and you will get recipe inspiration. But it all starts with King sawaan bakery or deli section of your local store. Thunder Pacers coming up tonight, Saturday Oilers Panthers, Giants at the Dodgers. We still have a couple of rivalries left in sports, and that is an awesome one. Dodgers forty one and twenty eight, the Giants are forty and twenty nine. Got the US Open at oakmand and the New York Liberty versus the Indiana Fever without Caitlin Clark at least undecided as of right now. But if you watch the promo for that matchup, the Liberty and Brianna Stewart versus Caitlyn Clark and the Fever, Sabrina I Nscue against Caitlyn Clark Liberty are nine to oh I believe, Yeah, yeah, I don't know. Brianna Stewart is on the short list of greatest basketball players of all time. If you look at her resume now, you could say there's there's not a better college player in history. If you win four titles and you're the MVP of all four of those tournaments, and then she's won a couple of NBA titles as well. And you know superd is decorated. There's a lot of you know, great women's players. But if you go four for four and you're the MVP of all four, nobody's gonna ever tap that unless you get like a fifth year scene, you're and he went five. I guess yes, Paul.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And in the pros, three time NBA champion, two time Finals MVP, two time League MVP.
Speaker 2: Not cooling off a lot sliding into the weekend. Courtesy of kings Hawaiian. Go to kings Hawaiian dot com for recipe inspirations. Paul and Iowa, Hi, Paul, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 8: Don't be afraid to use that gong against O. G.
Speaker 2: Friday, Fritzy.
Speaker 10: Come on, that's OG standing for one guest.
Speaker 2: But about hold hold hold hold on here.
Speaker 3: OG one guest for now, My friends, one guest for now.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good, all right, Paul, thank you, that's it the OG one guest, Todd, this is so not necessary. Keep your head up. Uh, thank you, Paul. Let me see Uh. Andrew and Alan, Hi, Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning, Dan, Dannett's and the bathroom guys, Happy meet Friday. To all who celebrate. Two quick comments on the gong. Number one, you guys should add to the musical rotation t Rex's Banger gong, Get it on. And also, Dan, I like the size of the gong, but being the Zeppelin fan that you are, you should have opted for the thirty six cent John Bonham climbing gong.
Speaker 2: Now you know the big Germans said hey, how big do you want your gong? And I said, okay, getting personal, but let's get something that's going to sound good and look good on TV. And he came up with this. There were far more gongs available than I thought that. I said, you know, I need something that got a sound. It's got some gravitas, yes, Bahn, Yeah, what you have.
Speaker 7: Is called a hanging gong.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: John Bonham of Led Zeppelin had a thirty six and paste symphonic gong. And then there's one called a nipple gong, which has a lifted in the middle of it nipple actual name.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like this one. Let's see how it works. Meghan in Austin, Hi Meg, what's on your mind today? Hi Megan? Hi Dan. I'm here with my son Teddy, my six year old say hi Jeddy, Hi, hey Eddy, And we wanted to wish my husband a happy birthday. His name is Scott. Okay your wife dam Patrick, Yes, Saddy, thank you.
Speaker 7: I be part of your team.
Speaker 2: Oh he want to be part of my team? Okay when you grow up? Yeah, okay, he's already got them. Yeah, joined the crew. He's got the voice. Yeah, I mean got clearly a voice to be a part of this. I'll take that under consideration. Megan, can you cook? Can you book guests?
Speaker 3: Wow, he's got to grow fast? One the clock here a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, we are, I'm on the clock, Todd, Teddy, how are you at rhyming? Can you do limericks? How can you sing? Hole of oats? Teddy?
Speaker 8: Again?
Speaker 3: All not necessary?
Speaker 2: Keep your head up, thank you, Megan. One more hour to go. Come on, we can do it, can do it, and.
Speaker 8: We can do it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do come on, come on with the Hong kong.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 2: Todd just says, hey, I'm gonna get the Edmonton Oilers radio play by play voice.
Speaker 3: Shot off the head, this whole one guest thing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I also went to EBA to find ou out those nipplegongs that they got a good deal.
Speaker 2: Coming two hours into this show one morning, Todd, Seaton, Mar Paully and yours truly