Speaker 1: In his palatial estate known as Woodland. Robert Evans sits up in his bed, he still glued to the screen. The movie is ended and the memories begin.
Speaker 2: It's my most supported legacy of life.
Speaker 1: Evans holds firm to the conviction that he saved the movie, save the studio, and in many ways elevated the glory of American film.
Speaker 2: Who worked out of Godfather lure, You're introduced to a different world.
Speaker 1: As I would later write in the book, from this bed and from this man and those he appointed the Godfather sprang forth. It was a miracle on paper and on screen, Created and inspired by the sons and daughters of immigrants, Its characters were portrayed by a band of mythsfits who based their roles on a gang of miscrants, humanized to the point of being honorable. The story endures as those who made it received, leaving behind a testament to the glory of the American family and the steadfast belief in the American dream.
Speaker 3: I'm Mark Seal and I'm Nathan King.
Speaker 1: And this is Leave the Gun, Take the Canoli.
Speaker 3: In our final episode, we're discussing the life, legacy and legend of the cast, crew and film. Mark, when you walked into Woodland that day, did you know you would eventually write the definitive book on the making of The Godfather?
Speaker 1: Not at all. I just thought that I was going to do a magazine story, but I had no idea that I would later write a book about it, and that it would consume my life for so many years. After the article was published, I started thinking about writing the book, and I was able to meet with Anthony Colombo, the son of Joe Colombo, who headed the Italian American Civil Rights League, and we drove out to a diner in New Jersey and there he was. He comes into the diner walking with a cane. By then. I think he was in his sixties maybe, and we've talked for a long time, and he couldn't have been nicer. And I tried to imagine him back in those days in the Park Sheridan Hotel with Al Ruddy speaking before the League.
Speaker 3: You've said previously, Mark, when you're writing a magazine article like this, that casting a wide net is very important and talking to as many people as possible, no matter how inconsequential they seem. Did you do that here?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, of course, you know. I tried to talk to as many people as I could for the article and then later for the book, and it was amazing. After the article came out, people would call and tell me facts that I couldn't have dug up any other way. But it was nothing like after the book came out. One man called and said his uncle had delivered the horse's head to the set. There were so many unexpected but important additions that just came from the story being out there in the world.
Speaker 3: Who was the most unexpected character you talked to?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe Marilyn Stewart, because I hadn't really read anything about her. There's not one interview that I could find. But I called the number that I had found for her, and she answered the phone and it was like it seemed like she was expecting my call, which of course she couldn't have been, but she was just ready to tell her story. And what a story she had to tell. You know. She came on. She was Paramount's head of publicity and promotion, and she just started before the movie was even shot, you know, fostering its image, making sure that she got the magazine covers and all the television shows. And I just thought she was a great window into the Godfather Pass and how it became such a sensation worldwide.
Speaker 3: I want to talk a little bit more about the reporting aspect of it. How you sort of organize your thoughts and figure out who to talk to someone like Janet Snow, for instance. Is that's someone whose name just comes up in the course of interviewing someone else, and then one thing leads to another.
Speaker 1: That was a great story. So Janet Snow had not been interviewed either. I mean maybe she had, but I had not seen any interviews with her. And I was talking to Graf Frederickson and he goes, oh, my gosh, Mario had an assistant during those days, and he couldn't remember her name at first, and he just said, oh, Janet Snow. And I called Janet, and she right off the bat told me this incredible story about Mario Puzo arriving in Hollywood and that story about the white Lincoln Continental, and I went, oh, my gosh, it was just like too wild to believe. You know, as you're putting together a portrait of somebody for a book, you're just trying to get as much clay as you can to build the character. And Mario had done lots of interviews, so there was a lot about him in print. But a person like Janet Snow who was there when Mario arrived in Hollywood and drove him from Paramount to the Beverly Hills Hotel. I mean, you can't get much better than that.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because while they are in very different situations. Mario is a huge successful author in Janet's relative nobody, they're both neophytes in their own way in this Hollywood world. And I think that's enough to bring them together.
Speaker 1: Yes, And they were both fairly young. Mario's in his forties and he was new to that world. Plus Janet had a magical story to tell about how she got the job. You know, you open a door and these stories just come flooding out, like I'll never forget going to James Conn's home in Beverly Hills when I was researching the article, and I walk in and there was a huge drawing of the Godfather on his wall. It was Don Corleone and his three sons, including Sonny, who was played by James Kahn.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, with a lot of those guys, not just the Italians obviously, Like I said, you know, and immigrants couldn't get a job working three cents, so, you know, so they did what they had to do out of need.
Speaker 1: And we spent I think three hours that day talking about the movie and his role and how you prepared for the part, how he got the part.
Speaker 3: What was it like interviewing James Common because he's obviously an actor but also sort of a street guy. Did you find him very easy to interview and affable?
Speaker 1: Oh? Certainly? And later when I called him for the book, he was incredibly forthcoming. I talked to him for another I think two hours, and then called him again for another hour or so. He was so giving and generous with his time.
Speaker 4: Was there somebody that you picked up mannerisms from like you did, like the Rickles idea, Well, Andrew was my closest friend, you know, and he had certain energy. You know, there's a certain energy about Rickles when he was younger, you know, which he still has today in his eighties, you know, but it's obviously not as sharp.
Speaker 1: None of us are sharp. But I could just see that botta ingrain is coming out of Roa.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where it came, you know. I don't know, I wish i'd had the foresight to, like.
Speaker 3: What do you call a copyright?
Speaker 2: That thing I could have made money.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't begging.
Speaker 1: Another great thing that I was privileged to do was research the life of the actor who played Luca Brozi, Lenny Montana, who is one of the most unforgettable characters in the movie. He was a former wrestler and some say a bodyguard. I was able to dig up some really old newspapers about him, and there's one where he tells the story of going to visit his mother in suburban New York at the same time. They were filming The Godfather there and had been looking for the perfect actor to play Luca, who had to be a mountain of a man, and they had gone through several potential actors, all professionals, but none were quite right. Anyway, Lenny is visiting his mother and al Ruddy looks out on the crowd that's gathered around the set and sees this colossal man behind the barricades. He takes Lenny Montana to meet Francis Coppola and his trailer. Lenny's head was probably scraping the ceiling because he was so big, and Coppola looks up at him and says, that's Luca Brotzi.
Speaker 3: We mentioned earlier that Robert Evans passed away in twenty nineteen, just before we started making the show. Sadly, he wasn't the only one. There were six or seven other characters in The Godfather's Story who died while we were making this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to name a few. Al Ruddy died this year, Eleanor Coppola, Roger Corman, Robert Town, the screenwriter who wrote the Majestic Succession scene. Fred Ruse died this year. Ye, James con two years ago. I mean, it's amazing time takes its toll. This is a movie that was made fifty years ago, so a lot of time has passed, and a lot of people who gave so much to the film have passed along with it.
Speaker 3: One thing we should talk about is the proliferation of conflicting accounts, and specifically how you chose who's to believe.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, I didn't want to choose, and I don't really think it's my job to take aside and make a choice. All of the stories were so fascinating, and in the absence of any conclusive evidence about who was right who was wrong, I just decided to present all the versions to readers and let them decide. And I feel like we've done the same thing with this podcast. But it was a pretty chaotic time. And Ira Zuckerman's Godfather journal was such a great help because he was there every day and documented every single day of filming in such detail that you really couldn't quite argue with that, because that seemed to be the definitive fly on the wall account. I mean, there's very few movies where you have someone who's written a day to day diary of everything that happened, and so it was a real treasure to have that as a resource.
Speaker 3: And what about Gianni's version of events? I like his account the best.
Speaker 1: What we you like personality wise? Like this same as any never changed.
Speaker 2: Don't care about nothing.
Speaker 1: We gotta leave, jump out the wind that we leave you, take a shot, see you later.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: I started from nothing. Well, yeah, of course, because Gianny Russo has a way of telling these things that they make them come alive, you know, but so many others do as well. I mean, how Ruddy is the same way, and of course Bob Evans, I mean he's the same way, and Francis Kopple is a professional storyteller. They're all amazing storytellers.
Speaker 3: After working on this podcast, it's hard not to feel like making a movie is a completely foolish endeavor because you have all of these conflicting personalities tossed together in one place, and you know you're all working toward a common goal, but it seems like things are bound to go wrong more often than not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a miracle that any movie gets made, isn't it? Because all the personalities, money, logistics, there's so many ways for things to go wrong. It's not unusual for a movie not to work out, and The Godfather is a rare case where the ending was happy and the alchemy worked against all odds.
Speaker 3: I think the directors like Francis Ford Koppola get a lot of flak for being almost authoritarian in the pursuit of getting what they want, But you can kind of see where that would be a benefit in making The Godfather because you need someone with such a determined vision and sense of purpose.
Speaker 1: There has to be a captain of the ship, right Mark.
Speaker 3: We know the movie did well financially, but did the people involved well.
Speaker 1: There's conflicting stories once again about this. You know, some people said they got rich off of the movie, but really the actors were paid minimal salaries. I guess thirty five thousand I think for some, and that was for the established ones. Al Ruddy said he had points and he did well on it. But one thing is clear above all is that Paramount made a lot of money. Robert Evans told me that Dan Woodland that being the head of production, he didn't have any points. So he didn't make any money off the movie personally, but you know it gave him a springboard to do other things when he became a independent producer. So it's another mystery of the Godfather about who made what on the movie. But here's how al Ruddy described it in our interview.
Speaker 5: You got to understand nobody and for vision success of this movie, everyone worked for scale. It's a class.
Speaker 1: That's points, Mary, I had two, and A.
Speaker 5: Had points and I had some points. But they kid was that prophet, doesn't you know what they said? Not worth the paper which went on right. The profits except this went through the roof.
Speaker 3: If there was any doubt about how the movie did or was received in Coppola's mind or anyone else's it was eradicated when the nineteen seventy three Oscars came around, Mark, can you talk a little bit about that?
Speaker 1: The Godfather was nominated for ten awards at the nineteen seventy three Oscars Best Picture, Brando as Best Actor, Coppola for Best Director, Coppola Empuso for Best Adapted Screenplay, and for Best Supporting Actor, three of them Al Pacino, James Cohn, and Robert Duval. They also had nominations for Costume, Editing and Sound. When the envelopes were open, it was Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola for Best Adapted Screenplay, and they said that Mario decided not to go because he was too worried about having to give a speech, so he watched it from home in suburban News New York. Brando won Best Actor, but probably in one of the most famous events in Oscar history, he didn't attend and said he sent an emissary on his behalf, a woman named Sasheen Little Feather, who got up and gives a speech about what had been happening at wounded Me.
Speaker 6: Hello, my name is Sasheine Little Feather. I'm Apache and I'm president of the National Native American Affirmative Image Committee. I'm representing Marlon Brando this evening, and he has asked me to tell you in a very long speech which I cannot share with you presently because of time, but I will be glad to share with the press afterwards, that he very regretfully cannot accept this very generous award, and the reasons for this being are the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry excuse me me, and on television in movie reruns, and also with recent happenings that wounded me. I beg at this time that I have not intruded upon this evening, and that we will in the future, our hearts and our understandings will meet with love and generosity. Thank you on behalf of Marlon Brando.
Speaker 3: It's fair to say that everyone was stunned by Saushy and little feathers speech. Another surprise was to come shortly thereafter, in the form of the Best Picture, A Lord.
Speaker 1: And the Winner and the Winner the ward.
Speaker 4: Albert is ready God bother.
Speaker 7: Let me do this quickly in two parts, because I know it's past midnight New York, and some of my relatives want to go to sleep. There are a number of people I would like to thank, as everyone else would, because they deserve it.
Speaker 1: Bob Edmonds forgiving more.
Speaker 7: Than any studio head should in time and creativity, Frank your blond for having the courage and imagination to sell this film and make my mother rich. Charlie Bludorn for having the courage to finance films, which I guess borders on insanity. And Peter Bart who was a friend all.
Speaker 1: The way through.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about legacy. The film sort of eclipses the careers of most of the people who made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like every person who touched the movie has this asterisk next to their name that says the Godfather.
Speaker 3: Well, let's start with the obvious. Francis Ford Coppola. Despite the success of the first movie, Coppola was so scarred that he didn't want to make a sequel, but then Charlie Bludorn talked him into it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the story goes that Coppola initially didn't want to do it, but then Hurricane Charlie erupted. Francis, you've got the recipe for Coca cola, and you don't want to manufacturer anymore. Bottles of coke and whatever happened, Coppola ended up signing on for Godfather too, and after that Godfather three, and of course Charlie Bludorn wanted to make Godfather four, five, and six as well.
Speaker 3: This movie changed Copola's life.
Speaker 1: Well, for better and for worse, but mostly for better. You know, time hills, all wounds. And recently Coppola told Rolling Stone that he saw The Godfather as a gift. He said, the movie opened up the world to me. Some of the greatest people in the world have wanted to talk to me simply because I was a guy who made that film.
Speaker 3: What about Mario Puzzo, what happens to him afterwards?
Speaker 1: Well, Mario Puzo became a superstar screenwriter, He became rich, he became famous. He could gamble all he wanted. I loved what is His son told me via email. He told me, now that he had money, look out. He would buy books instead of taking him out of the library. He rented a house in Malibu. You know, he would eat whatever he wanted, He would gamble whenever he wanted. I think he still loved the good life of Hollywood and of course Las Vegas. He wrote a book about Las Vegas that was sort of a love letter to the city and what it meant to him. And in addition to writing many more novels, he wrote the screenplay to Superman, so he maintained his Hollywood ties.
Speaker 3: Another person who went on to have an amazing career Robert Town.
Speaker 1: Yes, Robert Town became the Dean of Hollywood screenwriters. He wrote Chinatown and so many other movies that became classics.
Speaker 3: And he wasn't famous when Copola brought him in, but he had certainly worked on other projects. He'd done Bonnie and Clyde and McCabe and Missus Miller, and then The Godfather was probably his first big project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love the story of how he came up with that incredible scene, the succession scene. It was late in the night in New York and Coppola was going to pick him up the next morning to take him to the set, and he was looking at the cover of Mario Puzo's novel, you know, with the invisible puppeteer holding the strings, you know, with those strings dangling down, and he said, it was like at four in the morning, the line came to him and it was just this incredible line that would sum up so much and it became one of the most classic scenes in the movie.
Speaker 3: Listen to this list of movies he went on to write after that, the Last Detail, Parallax View, Chinatown, Shampoo, The Missouri Breaks, Days of Thunder, The Firm, Mission Impossible one and two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty incredible list. Robert town once said that he was not really interested in writing novels, that he just wanted to write movies. And listen to that list of movies that he wrote. I mean, he's one of the greatest screenwriters in hollywood A history.
Speaker 3: What was Charlie Bludorn's legacy like at Paramount.
Speaker 1: Charlie Bludorn saved the studio in the end with The Godfather and other movies later, But sadly Charlie passed away at a fairly young age. He lived in the Dominican Republic where he built this amazing resort. But he died on a they say, on a plane coming home. So he missed out on seeing so much. And I would have loved to have obviously spoken with him, But he's remembered by everyone whose path he crossed.
Speaker 3: What about Al Ruddy? What happens to him?
Speaker 1: Afterwards, so al Ruddy remained vital until the end. He produced both The Godfather and Million Dollar Baby, winning Best Picture Oscars for both, and he died at ninety four years old last May. And about two weeks before he passed away, I spoke to him again. He was the same Al Ruddy as always, you know, talking a mile a minute. His memory was sharp, and he was really excited about this podcast and wanted to do whatever he could to help, which is typical out the quintessential producer, the man who gets things done. Well.
Speaker 8: We came back to sicily, I went through New York and they said they wanted to do a sequel, and I told straight out, I have no interest. Livesen to me, no interest in never doing a movie again.
Speaker 1: But this mom I got lucky.
Speaker 4: I got out.
Speaker 1: I'm happy of at one piece. I could never get more out of him.
Speaker 3: And regardless of the fact that he didn't work on subsequent Godfather movies, he clearly cared about the movie's legacy a lot because he worked on the offer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the offer was really molded around his life. It was his story. Miles Teller played Al Ruddy, you know, he was the central character.
Speaker 3: You didn't get a chance to interview Brando because he was dead by the time you started working on this. But if you could have, what would you have asked him.
Speaker 1: I would have loved to have known in his own words about how he made the transformation into Don Corleone. But Alice was able to tell me a lot, and also she was able to tell me his reluctance to play a mobster. He didn't want to do it at first, and he only wanted to do it when he heard that they were thinking about Lawrence o Libya, and he goes, he can't play a mafia don, And Alice said she looked in and he was like using shoe polish to create a mustache and dye his eyebrows. And she goes, no, that's not right. Do it like Brando. But I would have liked to have asked him about that.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to Evans. So you spoke with Evans in two thousand and eight, which is eleven years before his death. What were his reflections on the film and his legacy.
Speaker 1: He said it was his greatest legacy, but it was also a failure for him personally in many ways because he chose the Godfather over his personal life, and that was lipping away from him that day in Woodland. I'll never forget the line that he said. He said, it's so long ago, so many people are dead, and he proceeded to rattle off everyone who had died in the interim, which at that point was already quite long, Richard Castellano, Marlon Brando, John Cassol, and so forth. And so he had some regrets, for sure, But at the same time, he was really proud of the movie and all that the movie had achieved. As I wrote in the book, he felt that he had fostered it and much of its success was due to him, which you know, as the head of the studio, he had the right to believe.
Speaker 3: If the filming process was rough for Robert Evans, it got even rougher after The Godfather came out, didn't it? Mark?
Speaker 1: Well? At first it went all right. He produced Chinatown, starring his close friend Jack Nicholson, But not long after that he left Paramount to become an independent producer, and that's when he started to struggle a little bit. As I wrote in the book, he descended into darkness for a period. There was a misdemeanor cocaine trafficking plea in nineteen eighty the box office disaster of the Cotton Club in nineteen eighty four, his entangment in a murder scandal stemming from the film, and the eight torturous years it would take him to clear his name. Also, I thought it was interesting his wealth, which is, you know, pretty much always the ultimate measure of success or failure in Hollywood, dropped from eleven million in nineteen seventy nine to thirty seven dollars a decade later. He had to sell his beloved his home, Woodland, and he was only able to buy it back with the help of Jack Nicholson. The house of a Hollywood producer is always very important, but for Robert Evans this was beyond anything. He had so many memories there, and it was a privilege to be able to interview him in that storied place, which is where he lived until his death in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Mark, let's end this on a hol happy note. We know that Evans and Coppola eventually made up, were supposedly made up at the twenty fifth anniversary of the film. Let's hear Evans's recollection of that evening. In San Francisco five years ago.
Speaker 2: Ever, it was the twenty fifth anniversary of it.
Speaker 5: In San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Francis walked in there, he's King of San Francisco. As he walked down the aisle, I took his sister Tadia to the affair. He came over to me for his arms around me and kissed me. He said, the messages something right. That's good. It's a good line. Yeah, the message in something right, and kissed me and then walked on.
Speaker 1: And Evans was really proud of that.
Speaker 2: It's my most important igacy in life.
Speaker 1: This is the Godmother's number number one.
Speaker 2: It broke a whole barrier a film opera. It is do filmmakers great ideas and fighting the organization?
Speaker 5: And I look fighting the organization?
Speaker 8: What organization were you?
Speaker 2: By the two of them? The other one was the other the boys, but they're all the same. Wow, well they're all Everything is monetarily focused. And I was looking to touch magic, and magic to me last longer? Why is it? At Mozart is remembered far longer, the Napoleon world of far long as the world of reed.
Speaker 1: Leave the Gun Take the Canoli as a production of Airmail and iHeartMedia.
Speaker 3: The podcast is based on the book of the same name, written by our very own Mark Seal.
Speaker 1: Our producer is Tina Mullin.
Speaker 3: Research assistants by Jack Sullivan.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Dressler was our development producer.
Speaker 3: Our music supervisor is Randall Poster. Our executive producers are Meet Nathan King, Mark ziel Doan Fagan, and Graydon Carter.
Speaker 1: Special banks to Bridget Arseno and everyone at c DM Studios.
Speaker 3: A comprehensive list of sources and acknowledgments can be found in Mark Sieal's book, Leave the Gun, Take the Canolli, published by Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon and Schuster