Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: We're picking back up at the rally where Quentin was in the capacity of security for Nemesis. At some point a confrontation developed between anti fascists and brown shirts. Clearly the instigator depends on the political orientation of the media that reports on it.
Speaker 3: But we've all seen scuffles like this.
Speaker 4: It's just they don't usually devolve to a point where someone dies, Like I can I can imagine, I don't know, I can imagine the outbreak of this scuffle because we've all seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I'm not going to like litigate on who started or who not. I'll never know and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Matter because it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I found an independent, while left fleaning a media website, contre Attique. They published several pieces on the events with claims that the fascists started to rawl. I find that one personally also more credible because they have multiple videos of photos of the far right being there with weapons including iron bars, scrutches, motorcycle helmets, and at least one smoker egg.
Speaker 4: I mean, they showed up to someone else's event to disrupt it, to cause a problem. When they got in the middle of it, they brought weapons. It's hard to say who started the fight, but I can tell who wanted to exactly.
Speaker 2: Like I've seen security at events and protests, but I've never okay, unless they were cops, I've never seen them carrying weapons.
Speaker 3: Oh I have.
Speaker 4: Well, that's more common in the United States. It's very common here. Oh wow, okay, Oh is that a pipe in his hands?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is.
Speaker 3: So he's wearing a balaclava and carrying a pipe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not a great look, kind of classic. You're a NUTSI fit skinny jeans.
Speaker 2: The sneakers, always the sneakers, always one of those little unders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, of course I got to pick a brand that yeah, since the beginning. Maybe some pumas in that.
Speaker 2: Of course, this will sup pumas in there. Here's another picture. It's like you can also see the motorcycle helmet in here in disguise hands.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: Most like a Hummu's great because it's you put it on to protect your head or you can hit somebody with it. Because he's holding it in his hand, he is not wearing it. That's a weapon. Yeah, but you have the plausible deniability of I rode my motorcycle here or this is for defense.
Speaker 2: That's what I also found. They often use like things that you could really have with like they also use belts or sticks and stuff that you could carry with shackles, slack poles, like stuff that you could carry with you with you without it being as immediately recognized as a weapon, like if you were carrying nights.
Speaker 4: After you use it as a weapon, it doesn't look like premeditation because I just had this, Yeah, the pipe. I don't know why you would just have a whole pipe. Now he was onnest way to do some plumbing Mario and Luigi.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe he found maybe he found it.
Speaker 2: I can imagine myself carrying a sledgehammer and be like, no, officer, this is my.
Speaker 3: I was on my way to break big rocks into small rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, I'm a fence. I don't think that would fly to be hones us, but those I wanted to share as well.
Speaker 3: So he did show up with a pipe.
Speaker 2: That wasn't him. I didn't think he wasn't pipe that was that was one of his friends. That was one of that was one of the far right act that was present there. One media account said he was wearing a blue hoodie Quentin, and I haven't seen that in the pictures that I could find.
Speaker 3: Well, it looks like.
Speaker 4: The only confirmed photograph of him is that one that was provided by his family's lawyer to the media, So we don't know if any of those other photos even are him, right.
Speaker 2: No, there's also not that much footage of it, to be honest.
Speaker 4: Right, but I guess there is the footage of him like lying on the ground, but I mean, like, yeah, like the only the only picture of his face is that one that was provided to the media by his family and so.
Speaker 2: Far as I found, yes, yeah, and then and one of the few of the articles, there's like one where he's like half Ballaclov out up. But then that was at some Nazi rallia in Lyon, So so it.
Speaker 3: Still wasn't his first Nazi No it was.
Speaker 2: It was not Okay, in any case, I think you would have a hard time defending that it was purely self the on part of the security of that counter demonstration.
Speaker 4: Again, no one is saying that he deserved to be beaten to death. We're just trying to figure out what happened here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, Concratique also published another article on February twentieth about acts of violence from fascist militants in just Lyon. There had been around one hundred and two acts of violence as of twenty ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one of vast pot From what I understand.
Speaker 2: There's lots of groups that formed in response to the fascist threats that were there, and also a lot of the fascist violence is them just harassing brown people or like Muslim people, So it's hard to get a proper estimate. But I found this one very detailed. They mentioned like from the top of their head, like twenty five different instances. The article for that will be in the show notes so people can read it themselves. Okay, now I'll cite this from France Info fr eyewitness accounts from residents who saw the flight fighting take place. Christine also witnessed the violence. I saw a fight over there with lots of young people. They were hitting each other, hitting each other, hitting each other, and then I saw a young man fall, she recounts. Maxim also saw the attackers flee. They shouted disperse when they saw I think that they might have hit him hard. They went off into all the streets. Everyone got out of their cars, some guys on scooters stopped. They put him, I assume Quentin in the recovery position. The resident explains. Neighbors then came to aid the injured. Another neighbor, Willem, saw him get up after being beaten. I went outside. I saw someone with blood on his hands. He looked a bit dazed. He was just standing. But he refused to go to the hospital, even though they offered to. I just saw the people talking to him who told him to go to the hospital. In any case, what is certain is that he refused.
Speaker 4: So this was a much large It wasn't like ten on one. It was like a group versus a group.
Speaker 2: It was a group versus a group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a melee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I'm not sure which article exactly was, but said that the fighting went on for like five minutes, which is a long.
Speaker 4: It doesn't sound like a long, but for a fight that's like a long, it's a lot of minutes to be fighting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fighting is normally pretty fast, especially fighting of this level of violence.
Speaker 3: Especially if you're getting hit the head with a pipe.
Speaker 2: Or a motorcycle helmet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a little video of it, Like I've seen a couple of very small videos of the actual confrontation. It's not like it gives the impression like because of the big repercussions, this was like a huge set piece, but it's not. It's like what three dozen people maybe at most. Yeah, and it was just like in some streets looks like street corner. Yeah, it wasn't a battle of thermopili or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm sponsored by not being able to pronounce foreign words outside of English.
Speaker 4: Well, and you could just tell us that that's how it's in Dutch and we would all have to believe you, because we're not going to find out.
Speaker 2: I'm con to use that as a caveat the next time.
Speaker 4: That's how we say it in the Netherlands, stupid Americans.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll be saved by the fact that like Denmark and the Netherlands, nobody speaks to judge or that they confused Danish with Dutch, which is also very funny.
Speaker 5: But also yeah, I did see some kind of funny posts regarding Greenland with that.
Speaker 2: Ah, Okay, then we're at entering a whole other discussion.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, after the fighting, about half an hour and a half later in the full Chiron District on the banks of the San Quentin was evacuated in serious conditioned by firefighters. To get there, he had to walk more than a kilometer and a half, cross too bridges, and traverse the Lyon Peninsula. His route between the attack and his rival at the hospital is unknown, So.
Speaker 4: Sounds like he's just sort of staggered off disoriented, is something like that, because he was probably bleeding in his brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he like he has a TV I right, I would imagine. So I just find it's incredibly sad. To be honest, it is sad, but.
Speaker 4: Also the like so like these bystanders are saying, hey, man, like, let's get you an ambulance to get to the hospital.
Speaker 3: Where were his friends that he walked off alone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Where were the guys he came with? Were the guys that were fighting on his side? How did he manage to walk off alone? So these people want to make him a martyr, but like they're the ones let him die.
Speaker 2: This is also why I'm like, I'm not going to say he was Lee Beatson, because like, who knows.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a lot of people have some responsibility here. If you die, if you die after being hit in the head, the person who hit you in the head killed you. That's what it works. But like, why did his friends let him walk away alone?
Speaker 5: Yeah, knowing he was injured, right, No, even.
Speaker 3: If he weren't injured.
Speaker 4: You never walk away from something like this alone because someone could follow you and keep beating you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if there are people who are trying to hurt you, the best time for them to do it is when you're on your own.
Speaker 3: Like, you never leave an action alone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thing, Like I guess I should just say, like, I don't know when you fucking hit people in the head. This is one of the consequences that is on the list of possible consequences. Like, I fucking hate people who hit people in the head come from a place in the world where like that kind of violence is more common because guns are less accessible to people. And like, yeah, people are going to fucking die sometimes when you do that, Like it's serious.
Speaker 4: You don't have to intend to have killed them, Like you one get punch to the head in an otherwise very fair, normal fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone could die.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people have died from a single punch to the head that started to fight and ended their life. At the same time, I think people sometimes you know, you watch boxing or wrestling or whatever, and you see people fighting very hard and not dying. But like, you find someone with your bare knuckles to their bare head, and they could die, even if it's only once, and if you didn't mean to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just one one small vein in, one vein that gets nicked that can cause off a whole lot of trouble in the head. Yeah, and even if it's not deaf, then they're still.
Speaker 5: Like life altering consequences.
Speaker 3: Be careful with your brain, kids, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is why you need to wear the helmets on your head instead of in a hand.
Speaker 3: It's just using it as a bludgeon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I can only come back to l I find it sad because it's a death that may may have been preventable with like proper medical intervention, also with like friends that that should have begged him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty sad that this guy felt like he was part of something and those guys left him to die alone on the street.
Speaker 4: Late it's now they're trying to take his death and profit from it politically.
Speaker 5: And then yeah, he's only useful to him when he's fucking dead.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, he's he's a little horse vessel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a nature of fascism.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's almost exactly like Charlie Kirk, where he was more useful as a martyr than when he was just a propagandist.
Speaker 3: But then he turned out not to even be good at that.
Speaker 2: I don't think we can fault him for being about martyr for all the things. Of all the things we can criticize Charlie Kirk for, that is not one of Yeah, it's not on him.
Speaker 4: Right, But I think in order to have a successful martyrdom, you have to have someone to blame, and there was just not enough publicity around the guy who actually killed Charlie Kirk, you know what I mean? Like, you know, horse vessel was killed by communists, so we're mad at communists, but like.
Speaker 5: There was an attempt to pin that on the trans community, right, like it did didn't seek the landing, and it didn't work. Should say that guy is accused of killing Curly Church as well?
Speaker 4: Exactly I don't know, but that the right is constantly trying to create a horse vessel and it just kind of never works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean that's how the Spanish Civil War started as well, right, like they. It was probably easier in an age with less information and like party propaganda.
Speaker 4: I mean these days, these days, we would all be talking about like was horse vessel opinion.
Speaker 3: It kind of seems like maybe.
Speaker 5: He would have had a Twitter account and we would.
Speaker 3: Have and we would have said what was he doing with all those girls?
Speaker 2: Or we would have found his racist tweets? Oh well that would.
Speaker 4: It seems like a local the head of his local strum up ti long. Of course he had racist tweets, but being a pimp is not conducive to traditional Aryan values.
Speaker 2: Please, okay, okay, okay, there goes my career change. God damn it. I'm now going into the last section, which is about what happened here in your treks. They attempted to martyr him, and the Fed Netherlands had said we're coming to the Aku to hold the vigil for him. The Netherlands is an umbrella term is not the perfect word. There's lots of local defense chapters, but they have like we're ready organized, but they also have like a main telegram group. So these are people who explicitly came to you, trecked to hold this visual. The reason why I think is because they think aku A you as stands for Antifa center you trecked. Oh wow, yes, it used to be. It used to be a former auto garage back in the eighties. I think, so it says for auto center, you trecht.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm at the auto show up, I'm at the Anti Picenter, I'm in a combination auto show up, Anti.
Speaker 4: Center, I'm at the Four Seasons total landscape.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. Yeah, but it was a pretty big deal because for reasons that I still can't understand, Like the mayor didn't like instantly ban this very obvious intimidation at ten ten threats hold official in your backyard or something. It's like, there's absolutely no reason to travel to U Trekt to hold that visual other than the being threatening and intimidating.
Speaker 3: But I think that's part of why they love trying to make these martyrs.
Speaker 5: Is because it.
Speaker 4: Again, it's this like being the victim, like they.
Speaker 3: Killed one of us. How can this isn't politicism political? You can't ban our event, right, This isn't a Nazi rally, it's a vigil.
Speaker 4: It's this victimhood thing, and it does make you harder to suppress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still find it. I'm unbelievable at the local authorities didn't do it.
Speaker 3: It's tacky.
Speaker 2: I was also there that evening because when I do activist stuff, I mostly do like like first aid at events or protests.
Speaker 3: Very noble, somebody's got to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm not a confrontational person. So yeah, I'll give you a band aid later. That's that's that's where where I'm good. You're a non combatant exactly. And I actually came from the office that day, so I was also looking very inconspicuous, which was good because I ended up standing between my left all all the anti fascists that are by right, all the black lift fascists, and I was like and then two lines of.
Speaker 3: Like riot, I'm just a band aid guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like get in a narrow alley. So I left, I'm unclosed. On my right, I'm enclosed. And then this girl, boss Ca comes up to me like, do you want to get out of here? I was like, yes, it seems like it could go wrong, and then she guided me through the fucking fascists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like to I like to be a lot closer to an exit than nasive. Good are you?
Speaker 2: So it's It's even worse because I was I was with someone who was also doing first aids, and we tried to get back to the location and we accidentally went into an alley that at a dead end, and when we turned around that were nat season walking there. I was like, oh fuck, no. Yeah, but I think they just thought that it was a way around and had just followed also because they thought it was a way through, they didn't actually like control us or anything.
Speaker 3: That makes my tummy hertmic. I don't like that.
Speaker 2: It was one of the worst scary moments. I'm going to admit that. Anyway. The fan Nelands mostly carried the picture I sent you with like the bad AI sketch of a photo of Quintin.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry. If I ever get.
Speaker 4: Murdered and you're holding a rally for my memory, use a real fucking picture of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is real.
Speaker 4: Okay they're using they're using a fake picture of a more handsome guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the other didn't flect that.
Speaker 4: You said yes, Like I'm saying, like, use a good picture of me, you know, like like a cute picture, but like they're using a fake.
Speaker 3: Picture of a more handsome guy. Because this guy was weird looking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the person who is on the flag and the BBC article, that's just straight up not him. It's not it's not a guy who looks like him. It's not a rendering of him by AI.
Speaker 3: That is like.
Speaker 4: Old school German propaganda of like an Aryan. Yeah, they're like an Aryan specimen, where like this was like a skinny little guy who's half a Spanic.
Speaker 2: Tina Latino Latino. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like it's just disrespectful to his memory to whitewash him and make him more handsome.
Speaker 3: You were not a good enough martyr.
Speaker 4: We had to find a better looking guy to pretend was you so we can profit politically from your murder.
Speaker 2: What pictured of you do we to do use morely in the event, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should, I should, I should pre yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: And then you can also select which which photo we're going to use, on which we're going to put on the banners.
Speaker 4: But it's like they don't actually care about this man. Most people holding those banners don't know that's not him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I undertand they don't. It's a very empty performance.
Speaker 4: I'm performing outrage over the like the theoretical death of a guy whose politics were similar to mine, yeah.
Speaker 2: But defend Netherlands. They also carried what we call the Princess flag in the Netherlands.
Speaker 3: Princess flag, yeah, the flag of the Prince, oh, princess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a it's a variational on the flag that we have right now, but it was co opted by the Dutch National Socialist Party prior and during World War Two, so it's now heavily associated with those groups, and that is the flag they choose to carry.
Speaker 4: I'm just skeptical of all flags, Like, unless I'm one hundred percent sure what I'm looking at, I'm skeptical of a flag because usually a.
Speaker 3: Guy that like, I don't know what you're doing. What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It is always telling when people are like, oh, this nationalist flag, the flag of our nation is not nationalist enough. Let me let me find an obscure one from the past. It has only been revived by fascists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like anyone in South Africa carrying something other than the current official South African flags, because there's a lot of variations and they're all about, well.
Speaker 2: Well we're getting to those variations, Molly, because like the flags flag was not only used by collaborators, but They've also added, because just alluding to like the collaborationists is not enough, they added a voc logo from the Dutch East India Company onto the flag that came from fucking nowhere.
Speaker 5: God, just like these people fucking hated people who aren't white as well, like you know, just sorry.
Speaker 2: That is incredible or evil? Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't believe we've opened that kind of one, because there's gonna be that's gonna happen in Britain now.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately I've put it in the chat like something like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just like comedically fun.
Speaker 5: It's a ship logo as well. It looks like a ranch brand. It looks like somebody didn't want their cows to go missing and they did that.
Speaker 3: I would stamp that on a horse for sure.
Speaker 2: It probably was probably also on people. That's unfortunate.
Speaker 5: Serious, what the fuck though, Like, I can't believe they did that. Is that a thing on the Dutch right, like like make Dutchyt India Company.
Speaker 4: Great nostalgic for the dusty dident' my loyalty lies with the Duchies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's such a niche. This is what you get from the European ultra nationalism is these incredibly niche racism.
Speaker 3: I'm a monarchist for spice trading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's this is something they actually do. I've seen it at multiple like far eyed rallies where they're just waving that ship.
Speaker 3: And like that rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the poorest dog whistle that any normal human being can also here, Like, okay, you long back to the days of like killing hundreds of thousands of people for the spices that we don't use in our cuisine. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wow, that is so niche. It's so good.
Speaker 4: That's so I hope those guys get pressed into service on a ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they might be shipped Iran soon.
Speaker 4: Who knows, Like enjoy sailing around the world. You love it so much, going.
Speaker 2: To beangal by sale.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you love fucking racism. Getting scurvy to own the lives.
Speaker 2: You know, they will get scurvy because they won't be eating fruit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they're exclusively eating what the Americans call French fries because of the erasure of Dutch cultural brilliant.
Speaker 2: That's true. They are more like fermented meat or something, just exclusively.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, because return but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in anyway with the rally in the end, nothing really happens. There were some chances going up, up and down. I think there were only two arrests for insulting police officers. I think one on either side.
Speaker 4: But that's illegal there. Yes, Oh I can never go.
Speaker 2: You can also just avoid police. That's that's that's the thing. Wow, they won't they won't immediately chase you with a gun here. But I've never had any experience with American cops, so there's no comparison for me. I also hope that never happens because heard stories of what happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, American cops no good. Yeah, it's one of one of the founding principles this here podcast network.
Speaker 2: Well we have that there is one cop in nutractor was allegedly a member of like an openly toutch Nazi group, but I think he's since left it.
Speaker 3: That happens a lot here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not an uncommon occurrence. No, what's the cops and clan go hand in hand?
Speaker 3: Yea, we say it for a reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well we can ad cops in in company bracket Dutch East India.
Speaker 2: That those were not cops because it was a corporation chains yeah, that's an enforce urce.
Speaker 5: You can't be a fascist for the Dutch East India Company because it's something a little bit different.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's true. They were not a state.
Speaker 5: It's a non state entity. It's like an autonomous it's astonomous fascism of its own kind, kind.
Speaker 4: Of cooked for a fascist to be nostalgic for a company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but as long as it's a nationalist company, then it's okay. This is great.
Speaker 5: I'm going to revive some like like like eighteenth century pirate ship you know when like like the British were like attacking the Dutch East India Company ships.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bring that back, okay now because fuck these people. You have my personal permission to attack Dutch sailing ships. I have that authority.
Speaker 3: But to get back Quentin.
Speaker 2: Sorry, No. There was one other thing that happened, because the day after the rally there was an unknown person who threw a smoke bomb inside the AKU. A person was never caught. I'm going to make a wild guest and say he was probably involved with Defend Netherlands or some other similar fascist groups. No one at AKU was hurt. It was mostly just an inconvenience, and that is pretty much the story of how the depth of a French Nazi involved threats to a community center in the Netherlands.
Speaker 5: Wow. Yeah, I think you mentioned Natim and called him Francis Charlie Kirk. Yeah, but it's wild how like this one has been so seized upon right by people who, like, as we said, they did not give a shit about this guy when he was alive.
Speaker 2: Now, I think.
Speaker 5: National rally would be the English or like national Assembly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think national rally is how they do it in English.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, those guys held like also like on a political level, it was like a national thing that happened where they were memorizing it and they were blaming a French on bout for whatever happens. Because one of the people who was arrested for the violence was an AID. I think to someone from French onbouts.
Speaker 3: That's not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not great.
Speaker 3: I imagine their boss would have preferred that they had not done that.
Speaker 2: Probably probably, But it was a huge thing.
Speaker 4: And I mean, like from my end, like I mean, obviously I don't read a lot of French news, but I subscribed to a lot of Nazi telegram channels, and I see his name a lot, like the Active club sort of networks.
Speaker 3: Like it's not always directly the Active clubs.
Speaker 4: Sort of these sort of ancillary telegram groups that spent up around them, but in that milieu, they're talking about him a lot. They're talking about like, you know, training in his honor, punching communists in his honor, you know what I mean, Like is they're trying to make this a rallying point two incid buyer more violence. Yeah, I don't know if it will work long term. I've seen many such attempts that do not work long term. But it's been two months and they are still talking about, you know, hurting people in his name.
Speaker 2: Also if my doubts on whether that will work.
Speaker 3: Because they try a lot a lot, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I particular a bunch of examples of attempted martyrs that ed just like nobody remembers.
Speaker 2: I can't think of anyone exactly exactly besides the one we already talked about whose wife is now running the foundation.
Speaker 4: And for the most part it's I mean, at least in America, most of the right wing martyrs are people who died in prison or were killed by the police. We don't have a lot of sort of street deaths like this.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, although, like I do feel like the right wing Martin is killed by the police, like if they like if the Weaver family were killed by the cops to the members of the Weaver family who were killed by the FBI, Vicky wh Yeah, Like if that happened today, I think half of the right would be like, hell yeah, get them cops, like like the Bootleck attendancy.
Speaker 4: See, I mean, like they tried to make LaVoi Finicum was killed during the Bundy standoff in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Did you remember LaVoi Finicum?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no one.
Speaker 4: I mean actulely babbit. Ashley Babbitt should have been their martyr. They moved on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they've been doing some acshally babbit stuff like I think they It didn't work. Yeah, it still hasn't. They're trying to bury her, I believe, with the military honors now and get her Air Force pension or something and then she can sue Capitol Police now. But it hasn't worked. In terms of popular culture, no one cares.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the closest thing we have are when white women are killed by black men or immigrants that sometimes will Yeah, that flash in the pan lasts a little longer, but even still, like Kate Steinley, Molly Tibbet's like Arena Zaritska, like.
Speaker 5: Well, they've stuck the landing with they can Riley. They had the Lake and Riley Act, right, they managed to essentially create a system where immigrants are guilty until preman innocent right now. Yeah, they have not spoken about her since, but like the legal version of the legal tendency on the right, right, the right legislative movement kind of did with that.
Speaker 4: But they are they're like constantly scrounging around for a martyr and trying to make one happen, Like in twenty twenty, like right after George Floyd Kenan Hinnant, that five year old boy that was killed by his neighbor. Oh yeah, and they're like, this is our George Floyd. You never heard about it again?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they tried and try to try and State of the Union, right.
Speaker 4: And then what was it two weeks ago he posted that video of a one being beaten to death. Yeah, it just it doesn't work, like so that the sauce isn't there for them to create martyrs, but they love to try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in order to have a martyr, that that person needs to have had value in their eyes in the first place. And I think that's what missing.
Speaker 3: Right, because they don't care.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they posthumously tried to kind of yeah, stack it on old Quentin here, but yeah, but I think.
Speaker 2: That this person needs to have a reason.
Speaker 3: They needed to have really died for an actual cause.
Speaker 2: Died for an actual cause, but also someone who was like broadly known and looked up to.
Speaker 4: Not necessarily, I mean, you don't have to be somebody before your death to be an important martyr. I mean Emmett till was not a civil rights activist. He was a little boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fair.
Speaker 5: I think it's worked historically more on the left because it is people who are It tends to be people who are victimized for just for being themselves bless Yeah, people who are just existing in the world.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's like if you got into a fight at a Nazi rally, Like I'm not going to blame the victim, but it's not a it's not a blameless death.
Speaker 2: No, Like more like Renee Good, I think what's her name, where she was just yeah, you know, looking out for her or for her neighbors, and but then was murdered.
Speaker 3: You've been a good person in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's where the right goes wrong.
Speaker 3: That's where it really goes right.
Speaker 2: That's the root cause yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: The only ones I can think of that really stick are older And maybe that is, like you're saying, James, because it was like a lower information environment. But like they still do Martyr's Day for Robert Matthews, and that was forty years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like it was easier, right, like for them to do it back then, and.
Speaker 4: Like Matthews got sort of enshrined into this this Martyr's pantheon. Yeah, at a very important time in the movement. I just don't know that his death would be that important if it happened today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think a lot about the Vicky Weaver thing because we had Bill Gore, who was a sheriff in San Diego, had been an FBI agent who was part of the operation at Ruby Ridge. It was very interesting in San Diego because initially when Gore became sheriff, you had all these people on the right lake, specifically posting on the Sheriff's department lost a lawsuit for deleting comments on its Facebook page regarding this. They can't delete comments rightly their public agency.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Then twenty twenty happened, and that same tendency, those same groups, not the individual who bought the suit, but like those folks were showing up with their Blue Lives Matter flags, but then like also struggling to like line that up with like, oh, we should bring guns. Oh, but that would be illegal California. Oh, but we have a right into the Second Amendment. Well, who would be the person who enforced the law that you think contravenes the Second Amendment? It's the cops, right, and you're also here.
Speaker 3: Just they're so stuck. They're so stuck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they just kind of backed themselves into a corner there where like they're in a way more ideologically consistent back in the day at least, like they're like loving the cops thing that they made part of their identity largely in the George Floyd moment, right, and the utual up riding has really fucked them when it comes to people who get killed by the cops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hopefully this one fades away like all their other martyrs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't know where his family are at either, like if family may not have been bigots.
Speaker 4: Right, Like have they come out and tried to capitalize on this, Like does he have a crying mother on the news talking about evil Antifa?
Speaker 2: They don't have a crying mother on the news. So I do know they have a lawyer, and I think there is some form of legal action being taken.
Speaker 4: And that makes sense because like there were people arrested who are responsible for the death, like somebody be a legal process to move forward. But I mean, like they's not like a member of his family out there doing propaganda against like anti fascists.
Speaker 2: Not that I'm aware of, but they were very quiet and so far as I've could see, Yeah, like I've written this over the space of like two months, so I may have missed something somewhere, but they were pretty quiet on his activist activity. So I'm not sure how. I'm not sure if it's something they didn't know, or if it was something that.
Speaker 3: Maybe they didn't know how bad it was, how bad.
Speaker 2: It could also have been kept quiet in order to like.
Speaker 4: You're doing a lawsuit, Yeah, right, they should say less if they're pursuit litigation.
Speaker 3: That makes perfect sense.
Speaker 4: So it seems like most of the propaganda around his death is being produced by the groups he was in.
Speaker 3: Right, you said he was in an active club.
Speaker 4: I'm mostly seeing this from active clubs, so it makes sense that they would be doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just if they're not.
Speaker 5: Like, if it happens like any someone in his family is you said, like a migrant to France themselves, Like, it would really fucking suck to know, first of all, to find out that this kid in your family had these reprehensible views, and then to see their face everywhere.
Speaker 3: Well, luckily it's not his face.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: To see someone else's face in his name, it's just vague resemblance. Yeah. So yeah, before we close it out, though, I do want to plug something because I do know when the ACU they shut down, they had a concerts and the entire venue was closed the day of the vigil, so they did miss a lot of income. And I also personally know a few people who spent quite some money on just barricading the door, getting iron grades for the windows or steel grades.
Speaker 3: That's dark.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so there is a donate link for the AKU because it's also entirely volunteer run. Like, there's no paid employees there. Everyone's just doing that in their spare time. So if there are people who have some money to spare and they think that's a worthy calls, then in the show notes you can find the donate link to support the local community center.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it'd be nice if people did that.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very heart warming to see. I think at the demonstration it self, I think that the Nazis were outnumbered like three to one, maybe more usually are usually are, but it's still very heartwarming to see such a he quick and rapid response of people just being like, hey, we don't want them here, go back to your backyard. All the vigil there and it was a thing that happens. But after we've spoken so much about weird Nazis, Molly, I've been told you do also something with weird little Nazis.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love a weird little guy. I'm to talk about them every week on my show We're Little Guys. Can find it anywhere you get your podcasts. Great, And now I'm I'm actually so curious about these weird little girls.
Speaker 3: I might have to check this out.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's new fascination unlogged.
Speaker 2: I'll share some of the links with you than you can have a starting points, although I think you're much better researcher just than I am.
Speaker 4: So unfortunately it's all going to be in French. That's what I'm married just auto translates. That's true because I also don't speak French and also translate. Safety made it a powerful enemy. Okay, the Francophone world. They're so uptight about their silly little language.
Speaker 5: I love to speak French. French speaking people, please don't.
Speaker 2: Next time I read French articles, James will send the link to you and ask you to translate them for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm really worried that I'm going to have to translate some heenous ship.
Speaker 2: Here's like the French version of mine COMF could you please translate it.
Speaker 3: I do have some Holocaust and dials fact.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just make sure I'm not in front when I receive them. NBA now crime true.
Speaker 2: Well you might have visa problems as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going okay.
Speaker 5: I am no longer a EU citizen, so I now have to get visas for places too bad.
Speaker 2: And you have to be not to be declared for son and on grata. Yeah okay, then yeah, I think we can wrap this up. Thank you guys for being here and making it is a lovely time talking about Nazis.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you for introducing me to some terrible new concepts.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 3: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for It Could Happen Here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.