Speaker 1: On the Bechdecast, the questions asked if movies have women and them, are all their discussions just boyfriends and husbands, or do they have individualism? It's the patriarchy, Zeph and bast start changing it with the Bechdelcast podcast.
Speaker 2: Isn't home? But is it? Kind of? I think it kind of is. I think it's so fascinating that you're able to engage with musical theater only ironically. Welcome, Welcome. I like that you're going to be an honorary theater kid today.
Speaker 3: Look I went, I crossed a sea and ocean to go see musical theater. It was Paddington the Musical.
Speaker 2: True's but I loved it. I know, I know. What do you do?
Speaker 3: You ever listen to the soundtrack? Yes, I've been anytime I go on a walk, I've been listening to it and the.
Speaker 2: Songs of the Bank, but the bangers tell us.
Speaker 3: I would say the best song is probably pretty Little Dead Things. That's the villain song. Whoa rhythm of London is amazing, Don't touch that is amazing. Marmalade obviously, there's a song called Marmalade and it slaps, explore and the bear honestly, like hard Stare, there isn't a week song in the entire production. It's top to bottom incredible. Highly recommend everyone listen to the Paddington the Musical soundtrack. And I'm not just saying that because I love Paddington. It's like, legitimately so good. I love musical theater.
Speaker 2: It turns out I cannot wait for there to be a Tory production. I mean, I'm sure tickets will be in wildly high demand, but I can't wait.
Speaker 3: I would spend many dollars and travel great distances to see it again. Anyway, Welcome to the Bechdel Cast. Absolutely, the Bechdel.
Speaker 2: Camp, Oh my god. Yeah. Do you think people would go? Yes, it would just be us criticizing the elements of the camp to be like, actually this sucks. I no, I think I think the Bechtel Camp would be really fun. It would be like this camp, very queer and very loud and very dramatic. Yeah, yeah, no, I think people would attend. I think we should do it absolutely and see you this summer. Bitches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm camp counselor Caitlyn Dorante.
Speaker 2: Who are you, Jamie, Oh, I'm janitor Jamie who ends up actually stealing the show at the end of the summer, just like Ben Platt's husband. And that is how I'll be referring to him throughout.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, amazing. Anyway, this is the Bechdel Cast. We examine movies through an intersectional feminist lens, using the Bechdel Test simply as a jumping off point. And what is that tell Jamie.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you. It is a media metric created by queer cartoonist and presumably owner of the Bechdel Camp, Alison Bechdel.
Speaker 3: She's an investor. Yeah, she's an angel investor.
Speaker 2: I would say it's one of the Patty Harrison's of the camp. And it's a media metric that she wrote in a comic that has since been adapted to a more mainstream way. Our version of the test requires that there be two characters of a marginalized gender with names who speak to each other about something other than a man for more than two lines of meaningful dialogue. Now it happens in this movie. It happens in this movie, and it's also not I think this movie is interesting to me because it sort of reminds me of the Fire Island discourse around the Bechdel test where this movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test a ton but in a way that is a great example of why it is just a jumping off point for discussion totally where I do remember that there was I mean, if you recall a couple of years ago, there was like one bad faith actor online who is like Fire Island, a movie famously about gay men on Fire Island doesn't pass the Bechdel test. How am I supposed to respect this thing? And at this point, it's like we're urging you to get over yourself and take a step back and look at the forest and not just this tree or angry at Anyways, I'm so excited to discuss this movie today. Theater Camp twenty twenty three. Kind of some Nepo baby excellence afoot here. Sure throw a rock and you've got someone with Broadway producer parents, and yet it is just like genuinely a really good movie and a movie that I feel like, even though it it made more money at the box office than I thought it had. It made like four point six million, but I do feel like it was a movie that was kind of what am I I'm thinking knee capped, knee capped. That feels too dramatic. I'm thinking of what happened to Tanya Harding. There's like a phrase, my brain is not oh. I mean it was held back. It was held back by the fact that it was released and would have been promoted largely during the SAG and WGA strikes of twenty twenty three, which is part of way I feel like this there wasn't more noise made about this movie is because the creators and the actors were not going to cross a picket line to do so. Sure so, Unfortunately, I feel like this movie didn't really get as big of an audience or buzz as it deserved. I know, but today that changes. Today they're getting the Bechdel cast bump. And what an important and influential bump it is. It's so true. I did see this movie in theaters.
Speaker 3: I was one of the few. I saw a trailer for it, and I was like, this seems so funny. It seems like a great cast. I love a mockumentary, and it got my butt in the seat and it did not disappoint. I loved it. I thought it was so funny. I am not nor have I ever been a theater kid myself, but you don't need to have that experience to enjoy this movie because it's so funny, it's very heartfelt. The themes resonate with me because capitalism is the enemy and community is the hero of the movie.
Speaker 2: And I loved it.
Speaker 3: So I saw it in theaters, but I haven't I didn't watch it since, so it was a joy to revisit it. And because I barely have a functioning memory anymore, it was kind of like watching it for the first time prep for this episode, and yeah, it was. It was such a treat to rewatch. So, Jamie, what's your history with it? And I was also curious if you've ever been to summer camp before? Oh have you?
Speaker 2: I did go to.
Speaker 3: Girl Scout Camp nice, but it was it wasn't like a long term camp. It was like it was sleep away camp for like four days for five days kind of thing. So it wasn't like a week's long thing.
Speaker 2: But I did that. We've got to bring back Girl Scout cinema. Yeah, I feel like there was a moment in the eighties and nineties. I mean, obviously Troop Beverly Hills was that it.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a more recent one called I want to say it was.
Speaker 2: Called Troops zero. Is that the name?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, another movie that I feel like wasn't really given a proper promotional push.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I don't think it had a theatrical release, or if it did, it was like pretty sparse. But I thought it was maybe like a straight to streaming Yeah movie, I didn't see it. But yeah, there's only a small handful of Girl Scout movies, and there should be more, but there's no shortage of set. This is I think the first theater camp. I mean, this movie shares so much DNA with one of my favorite mockumentaries ever and one that innovated the form, Waiting for Guffman, which we will be covering at some point. Obviously, the filmmakers here, our Christopher guest fans are not.
Speaker 2: Shy about that, nor should they be. He's amazing, So Okay. My history with this movie is that, in spite of it being a movie that is ostensibly made for me to watch, I hadn't seen it. I don't remember why Sumber twenty twenty three was chaotic. I was on tour and then I was in the most toxic relationship of my life, and then my dad got cancer. So I think like in somewhere in the somewhere in there, I just didn't see theater camp Fair, but maybe it would have. Maybe my father would be here today if I had. We'll never know. Oh well, well, ever, no, I guess we will never know. Cinema heels, but it's too late. I am in like a wild mood today. Okay, So no, I hadn't seen it before, but I knew I was gonna love it, and I did love it. I'm a fan of I mean this is I did call them nepo babies, which is not a slur, it is true. But I'm a fan of, like truly everybody involved in this movie. Molly Gordon is amazing. I think Ben Platt rips and I kind of don't know who that is aside from the context of this movie.
Speaker 3: Like I know he really, I know he's someone I should know. I know that dear Evan Hansen is a thing. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: So Ben Platt is a the star of the stage and screen, but I think better known for the stage. He is the sun, and as is Molly Gordon. They're both children of tremendously successful theater producers who actually at theater camp, at a bougie theater camp when they were children. So the pictures that you're seeing of them are real, they're not photoshopped. But yeah. Ben Platt is best known for starring in Dear Evan and Hansen, and also starring in the rather unfortunate theatrical adaptation of Dear Evan Hansen, which is one of the great Whig crimes of our age. Enough has been said about that I will not add but Ben Platt. Yeah, he's the son of Mark Platt, who I think most famously produced Wicked and also famously is a huge Zionist, which Ben Platt is not, so we're breaking generational curses. Ben Platt, I have only I mean little Hollywood insider stuff. I've just only heard the nicest things about him, and that he's like a terrific and thoughtful person. There's a story I heard, I've heard more than once about Ben Platt and his husband, who also appears in this and also played Evan Hansen on Broadway. They were the first two Evan Hanson's and then they got married. Wow. Now, if that's not a Broadway story to Evan Hanson's getting married. Tell me what is? Tell me what is? You literally can't, but I it's this like lovely story that I've heard many times about. I forget who it is. It's like someone I know. Sorry if I'm putting them on blast. But they got very drunk at a party and were kind of stumbling home and on the streets of New York came across Ben Platt and his husband, which she doesn't remember. And Ben Platt and his husband Noah Galvin, let's say, because he's terrific in the movie as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, also one of the screenwriters, Yes yeah.
Speaker 2: Along with a third NEPO baby. A third NEPO Baby has hit the production team of Theater Camp. But but the two the Evan Hanson's too not just got her into an uber and made sure that she made it home safely. But when she woke up there was a care package from them. I guess she had drunkenly given them her phone number and they called her to make sure that she was okay. And that was how she learned that Ben Platt had gotten her home the previous night. Oh gosh, And I was just so I think of that story. That is just so wholesome. I hope that there's not something about Ben Platt that I'm missing because I'm really singing his praises. But he got a lot of heat for being in the bed Evan Hansen movie, and I just he's also in the Pitch Perfect movies, which I totally forgot. Yeah, yeah, I mean, I just think he's delightful. He's one of our seminal Broadway stars. I think he's like one of the millennial Broadway stars. And then Molly Gordon also fantastic. I know she had done she like her parents are movie and theater producers. She'd been off Broadway before I saw her another movie she co wrote and starred in last year called Oh Hi, Yes.
Speaker 3: I saw that on a plane recently, in fact, on the plane ride to London to see Paddington the Musical.
Speaker 2: And also Caitlin, I can't believe you didn't leave with this because you've seen it and I haven't. She's in The Sheep Detectives. She sure is.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the Gordon of Sheep Detectives fame.
Speaker 2: Even know she was in the Oh my God. Now that's what she's most famous to be for. But she's also in BookSmart, Shiva Baby the Bear like Romie. She's been in so much and she's also a great writer director. This is the exact kind of movie that like never gets made, and I like when Nepa babies use their powers for good and get a cool movie made. Indeed, I did go to summer camp and I did go to theater camp, but they were not necessarily the same thing. I went to a community theater like summer program, just like in my hometown. It was just like a day program.
Speaker 3: Okay, so not like a sleep away camp.
Speaker 2: No. I did go to a sleep away camp, but it was religious. My theater camp was in my hometown and it was like it was called Act one, Scene one in Brockton, Massachusetts. I did it, I think three or four times, and it was really fun. Yeah, we couldn't afford what happens in this movie, but we had We had a nice time. And the I mean, regardless of what class you're in, the dynamics of a theater camp are pretty much always the same from what I can tell. It's just you can't stop theater children from being so loud and dramatic. They life will find a way regardless. I have like a very clear memory because I was I was like never, I was always a chorus girl in theater camp. And then once I got out of musical theater because I am not a good singer. That's not true. I love voice, thank you. I wasn't clearing, I wasn't clear. But yeah I did high school. I did like high school drama, cob and all that stuff. And then my sleep away camp was in New Hampshire. My cousin and I got a scholarship to go twice. Okay, but it was like this, like Jesus Horse camp.
Speaker 3: Oh, I remember you've talked about this before.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so different experience. I wish I had gone to a theater camp. I also went to band camp. I went to sleep away band camp.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, missus Obo, missus Obo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know, like many children, my parents did not want me around in the summer and would apply to various scholarships so I wouldn't have to be But this is like this, I feel like Presents. It seems like it's based on the experiences of the filmmakers, and this is like the dream. This is the kind of theater camp that I feel like every theater kid wants you know, it's beautiful, it's scenic.
Speaker 3: Seems like good vibes all around.
Speaker 2: Everyone who's been there has been there for since time immemorial. Like it's it's just awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, let's take a quick break and then we'll come back for the recap. Okay, So here's the story of theater camp. We meet Joan Rubinski played by Amy Sidaris.
Speaker 2: Love her. I love to start on an Amy like you just I just didn't see her coming. She's there barely. But and then I was like, wait, how did I not know she's in this? And the answer is because she kind of isn't right. She worked for two days.
Speaker 3: Because what happens is she runs a summer theater camp for kids called adirond Acts get it swish.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I love the puns in this movie. There's so many. She and her colleague re To Cohen played by Caroline Aaron are trying to recruit kids and raise money for the camp for the upcoming summer, but in a middle school production of Bye by Bertie, Joan suffers a strobe light related seizure and ends up in a coma. You hate to see it, You hate to see it. So now Joan's son will take over running the camp. This is Troy Rubinski played by Jimmy Tautro, who I most recognized from American Vandal. Did you watch that show?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I did. Yeah, he's been in a lot of stuff, but yeah, I throw back because I was like, wow, that was almost ten years ago.
Speaker 3: That's scary really, oh my gosh, twenty eighteen lies. Anyway, he is super broy like crypto bro kind of guy, not a theater kid type at all, so he's very out of place in this role of running this theater camp. Everyone else starts Arriving at the camp for the summer, we meet a couple of the teachers best friends, Rebecca Diane played by writer director star Molly Gordon and Amos played by Ben Platt, star slash screenwriter. Because the movie was co directed by Molly Gordon and Nick Lieberman, who also co wrote the screenplay along with Noah Galvin and Ben.
Speaker 2: Platt, it kind of reminds me of I and again, I will stop sounding the NEPO baby alarm at this point, sure, but it does make me it feels very please don't destroy that there is a token not NEPO baby, and it is Noah Galvin, God it it's the second Evan Hanson, right right? Yes?
Speaker 3: So, Rebecca, Diane and Amos are head of music and head of drama respectively.
Speaker 2: At the camp. They are freaking out about Joan not being there.
Speaker 3: They hate her son, Troy, and so do all of the campers because again, he is not one of them.
Speaker 2: He's a post boloone fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Rebecca, Diane and Amos announce all the productions that will be going up that summer, including an original that they will be writing and directing called Joan Still, a tribute to their boss Joan. Meanwhile, Troy has fired several teachers in an effort to cut costs because his sort of journey throughout most of this movie is trying to raise funds for the camp, save money, save the camp financially, etc. But he's trying to cut costs, so he fires several people and then hires someone to replace them. All this is Janet, played by friend of the show Iowa Debris, whose resume is stacked, but who is clearly lying about all of her experience with things like stage combat, accent work, jousting, etc.
Speaker 2: If there is one thing I could want in this movie it's more, I know, but I'm assuming she This was a year where she had like five hundred movies come out, so I'm assuming that there just could be more scenes with her. Yeah, they're all very funny, so funny.
Speaker 3: We also meet characters like technical director Glenn played by Noah Galvin, costume designer Gigi played by Owen Teal, and head of dance Clive played by Nathan Lee Graham.
Speaker 2: Wait really quick, because there's also none of them get like extremely characterized. But I really enjoyed the child cast of this movie as well. They're just so talented. I would watch a spinoff show with just the kids, sure, but my favorite child and I think it's just like it reminds me of the kid in School of Rock who is like the costume designer slash It or like Miranda Cosgrove in School of Rock. There's a lot of School of Rock energy to this movie. But I love Alan, who plays the tiny manager or like the tiny agent aspiring agent. Yeah, a tiny agent is gonna get me every single time. So funny. And he's also the kid from Manari.
Speaker 3: Yes, that character reminded me of the kid in Wet Hot American Summer who is always sort of off on his own, broadcasting a radio show that's not actually hooked up to anything, so he's not broadcasting, but he's like talking into a microphone that's not plugged in, just in the sense that they're like both like off on their own, kind of doing their own thing, not involved with most of the other stuff that's happening.
Speaker 2: Shout out Alan Kim, Yeah, you're a legend. Yeah.
Speaker 3: His character I think is Alan Park. So there's him there. There's this kid, Devin. The joke with him is that he's straight, but his.
Speaker 2: He's closeted straight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's there because his gay dads sent him to theater camp.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: There's a teenager named Darla who is one of the stars of Joan.
Speaker 2: Still. Yeah, there's there's a bunch of great kids in the cast. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So then it's time for these kids to audition and we get a fun montage, but it's interrupted when Caroline Krause played by Patty Harrison, comes in. She's a financial consultant there on behalf of Camp Lakeside, a nearby camp for super rich kids, and she tells Troy that the bank is weeks away from foreclosing on Camp Adirondacks because of defaults on mortgage payments, but Caroline thinks they can work some de out. But technical director Glenn overhears this conversation and tells Troy do not do any deals with them. Camp Lakeside is like trying to take this land. They've been trying to get this land for years. All this to say the stakes are high for Camp Adirondacks. Meanwhile, the counselors deliberate on which kids to cast in which roles. The cast lists are posted and there's a mad scramble to see who got which part. Some kids are happy, some kids are upset. Darla, who we mentioned earlier, is cast to play older Joan in Joan Still. Then there's a younger girl named Mackenzie who's cast to play like the younger Joan. Then we see the kids in classes and Janet Clive gg Amos, Rebecca Diane Area. There's another fun montage, and even Glenn teaches a class on stage managing and lighting and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I appreciated that because of this movie's budget, which was not publicly available but like I can't imagine, was especially high, made it so that they could only afford to license so many Broadway songs obviously, and I can't imagine post Malone was cheap at least three years ago. It might be cheap now, but in any case that they had to like write some Broadway sounding shows for the audition montage, even though obviously Joan still is all original music. But like, there are some things that I was like, what is that from? And the answer is nowhere, So good job movie.
Speaker 3: But when one kid auditions with a Wicked song, yes, define gravity, and they probably had access to that.
Speaker 2: Because because of Zionist Mark Platt. Yeah Mark Platt. I mean, I don't even want to like Sully this discussion with his politics, but he sucks ass. But that is very likely why they were able to use Wicked specifically, right right right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so we see this montage of the counselors teaching various classes, including Glenn. Although we've been getting some hints that Glenn is a talented performer in addition to being a talented behind the scenes person, this.
Speaker 2: Is my favorite, Like, I am such a sucker for this narrative, even if, like with Glenn, you can see it coming from one hundred miles away. But It's like seeing Lady Gaga step on stage during A Star is Born and you're like, I wonder if she'll be good and turns out twist she is. And Noah Galvin, who's like a decorated Broadway star, turns out they got pipes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so then Rebecca, Dianne and Amos start writing Joanes Still and then start rehearsing it with the cast. Meanwhile, Troy is trying to raise money for the camp, so he hosts a dinner with potential donors slash investors and has some of the campers act as wait staff to serve them the meal. Very theatrically because he's also starting to He's also trying to understand the theater kids and like meet them on their level kind of thing.
Speaker 2: The thing with Troy that I appreciate is like a stock character that I is like fairly new but I'm growing to really appreciate, which is like the gentle himbo. Sure, because I feel like twenty years ago this character would be written as wildly homophobic, as hateful to the entire project of theater. But he's just like kind of clueless but curious, and I like the gentle himbo and Jimmy Tetro has played place any a gentle hymbo. Yeah, yeah, I'm into this new but I'm I'm coining of well, I don't know, maybe the trope has been coined, but I'm coining the stock character and I'm claiming him. Yeah, illiterate but gentle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm fine with this character as well. You know himbos, But well, the whole thing with a himbo is that they they do tend to be They're nice but stupid. They're like clueless, but they're like sweet and gentle usually so right, So that's him in a nutshell anyway, He's he's like trying, He's he's trying to understand what his mom does here. He's starting to appreciate what she has done to build up this camp and build this community, and he wants to keep the camp going. But this dinner that he hosts goes poorly and he doesn't get any investors involved. Meanwhile, Rebecca Diane is receiving mysterious phone calls about oh, is she available that night for something but we don't know what, and then she keeps disappearing when she's supposed to be doing like a performance for the campers. She disappears when she's supposed to be at the annual mixer with Camp Lakeside, and Amos keeps being like, where the hell is my best friend?
Speaker 2: What is she up to? We don't know?
Speaker 3: And at said mixer, Troy really hits it off with the banker Caroline and he signs the camp over to her, though sort of accidentally he like doesn't really realize what he's doing. He misunderstands the deal, but either way, he's fucked up and he has like signed the camp over, which most people do not know about. Most of the counselors are aware of this. Then it's tech Week where they're doing all the tech rehearsals and everyone is scrambling to get all the productions ready, especially Glenn, who everyone is making all of these demands of. He's running around all day doing everything behind the.
Speaker 2: Scenes, everything but singing.
Speaker 3: Yet meanwhile, Amos is pissed at Rebecca for not being around, and he has not seen the big finale for Joan Still that she was supposed to be working on, and it's clear that she still hasn't written it, but she pretends like she has and improvs this terrible song on the spot and Amos is like, what the fuck was that, and she reveals that she has been preoccupied because she recently got a job. She signed a two year contract to perform on a cruise ship because she she wants to be a performer and not solely a teacher. And she feels that Amos has maybe been holding her back and she's made various sacrifices to stay working with him, but she's done doing that, and Amos feels utterly betrayed. Then Caroline comes in to announce that Camp Lakeside has bought Camp Adirondacks and they're about to tear it down. The kids are horrified. It's chaos. It's unclear if Joan Still will be taking place because it seems like it's dead in the water. But then Troy realizes that the contract he signed says that Camp Lakeside can only take over Camp Adirondacks if the bank forecloses on it, but if they prevent that from happening, they can still save the camp. So Troy goes to Glenn to encourage him to revive the production of Joan Still since Rebecca and Amos have kind of bailed on it. Yes and then Troy invites a bunch of his business influencer buddies to the show as potential investors in the camp. But oh no, the star of Joan still, Darla, is leaving early, leaving before the performance because she booked a movie role.
Speaker 2: I love that so much of Ben Platt's troubles towards the end of this movie have to are involved with like low stakes opportunities for women. He's relying on.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, true, because Darla is like, I got a role in a movie about a pregnant gymnast, so I have to go do that.
Speaker 2: But he says like a line, Oh god, it made me laugh. He's like, I'm not in a place where I can handle industry sides right now. And it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he agrees to help her prep for the role anyway, and he's like, Okay, what are this character's allergies?
Speaker 2: And she's like what and he's like, oh, we have so much work to do, You're useless. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So Darla's leaving, so we're like, oh my god, who's gonna play old Joan. The show begins. The songs are wild. They were making me laugh.
Speaker 2: They're good. I also, like, I just the number of like really fun theater tropes that are like gotten into here and the fact that it's done by like legitimately very talented kids. It just is making me emotional the whole. Like it reminded me of like how to succeed in business without even trying, where they're like stocks stocks, stocks, and then like how And I say this with love, but the way that theater portrays addictions sometimes is so corny and over the top, and they're like que the cocaine and it's like the paper machine.
Speaker 3: Also, the first song is about how women can't read, but.
Speaker 2: Like but that also feels very like tongue in cheek of like raw, especially the further you go back in theater, how broad and corny immigration stories could be told. It all feels like done with I mean obviously like experience of the actual like theater, but just with so much affection for it, even the like problematic and corny parts.
Speaker 3: Right, well, the song itself is obviously problematic, but you see like the audience members like looking at each other being like what the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: What? It's satire? Yeah, so it's good satire. It's great.
Speaker 3: So Joan still is is happening, and then we get the reveal that old Joan is being played by Glenn, who does an amazing job.
Speaker 2: I also love the little tongue in cheek of like the fact that they're married to each other and that when Glenn is good, Ben Platt is like, I'm genuinely upset. I'm genuinely upset about it. He's like, oh my god, he's amazing, which is such a theater like, just, oh, what is more show business than resenting the success of a loved one? Come on, it's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then it's time for the big finale, which is partly Rebecca Diane's improved version of the song, but it turns out that she ended up finishing it and polishing it and it's actually pretty good.
Speaker 2: And during this and of course it's a spoken word portion like here's how theater changed my life. And and the ending, I will say, is done pretty.
Speaker 3: Sincere uh where like the kids like the Camper's like expressing how important camp is to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like most lines in that concluding song, like there are some joke lines, but for the most part like the message of the song, Unlike the song about where women shouldn't be allowed to read. And one of my favorite jokes in the movie Jeffka is dead, yeah, et cetera. Like, but it is like a very sincere song about how theater camp can change your life, which is, you know, makes total sense given why we have this movie for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's really sweet and yeah sentimental. And during this song, Amos and Rebecca Diane apologize to each other and they have a tearful reconciliation. And then the text on screen says that Troy's influencer buddies loved the show, but it turns out they have no money to invest and they are under investigation by the SEC. But someone else makes a sizable donation to the camp because the show really spoke to him. It's Troy's Airbnb guest, which very.
Speaker 2: Last minute I silly Desx Airbnb guest exactly. Yeah. I learned just the other day from a friend of the show, Molly Lambert. Did you know that that convention of like the where are they now? Or like here's what happened next? Thing was invented by George Lucas. No, according to Molly, I haven't in American Graffiti, Okay, a movie I have not seen, but apparently that was like not a common thing to do in movies prior to that. But there's a silly character that I guess we meet in American Graffiti, a movie I would like to see and sounds like it would be worth covering, but like it's a you know, teen movie, and they do that thing at the end where it's like, here's where this teenager ended up. Here's where this teenager ended up, and one of them it just says, without further comment, he died in Vietnam, which was obviously like a big George Lucas political Like I mean, George Lucas was very anti Vietnam example Star Wars and New Hope or not anti Vietnam, anti the Vietnam War, right, But anyways, I just I now, every time I see that, I'm gonna be like, wow, that was George Lucas's idea. I had no idea. But they're used very frequently in mockumentaries. Yes, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't realize that I've seen American Graffiti, but it was it was during the great Caitlyn movie binge of two thousand and five, so it was decades ago, yes, but yeah, so we get all these all this text on screen about like where are they now? But the camp is saved, it.
Speaker 2: Seems, and we even get to see Amy Sedaris one more time.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, she wakes up and she's like, don't let Troy run the camp.
Speaker 2: It's very funny. But yeah, that is the movies.
Speaker 3: So let's take a quick break and we'll come back to discuss, and we're back where to begin.
Speaker 2: I feel like for me because we've recently covered a we okay, this is a good plug for the Matreon. If you haven't been a matran subscriber, which you can do right now Patreon dot com. Slash back to past five dollars a month gets you access to two new movies a month, as well as a back catalog of over two hundred episodes. That said, we recently did Catherine O'Hara month, who is a mockumentary icon because of her appearances in Christopher Guestswork, and so many of the notes that we had about Best in Show which we cover are fully like this just feels like a more mature version of that of that format where there are some dated stereotypes around where people that appear in that movie and in basically every movie that came out in the two thousands. Unfortunately that by the time we get to Molly Gordon, Ben Platt, Noah Galvin, and the fourth guy, Nick Lieberman, shout out to him that like this is a just like fully queer satire, of like a very loving queer satire, and I love it. It's like everything that you would want from a mockumentary without the dated, problematic elements of watching certain documentaries. Totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I And again I can't speak from personal experience about the theater camp experience or being a theater kid, but from everything I've read and heard from people.
Speaker 2: It definitely gets it, Like I think gets it. Yeah, especially given like who is making this movie where it's like you're a hard pressed to tell to Evan Hansen's that they got the theater community wrong. They definitely got it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just to share a quote from Noah Galvin, he spoke to Glad at I believe the premiere of this movie, which was at sun Dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so pre strike. So they got to promote it a little bit, and then they had to stop promoting it and then I think I don't remember if the sag let me check when the SAG strike ended.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't remember the exact date.
Speaker 2: I think it was after yes, So yeah, so the writers strike I believe ended sometime in the late spring in twenty twenty three, so they could promote it in a writing capacity, but SAG was on strike until November of twenty twenty three, which is why most of the promo you'll find for this movie was prior to both strikes, because for the most part, it's like you have to imagine Ben Platt and Molly Gordon and Noah Alvin are both members of the WGA and SAG. SAG. Yeah, so a little bit of a little bit of strike lore going on there, yes, But yeah, before that they were able to promote it.
Speaker 3: It premiered its sun Dance. Glad was there and they were talking to various members of the cast and the creative minds behind this movie, and we're just kind of asking about, like what makes theater such a safe space for the queer community, because many of the characters in this movie are queer.
Speaker 2: Many you say, cast if one of the like crucial jokes is a young boy coming out as straight, to say, almost everybody in this movie is queer or queer coded exactly. Yes.
Speaker 3: So Noah Galvin says this quote, theater is a space for people to express themselves and try on different personalities and step into other people's shoes, and I think it gives people the freedom to really explore. And I think throughout those processes of being able to try on different costumes and selves, you end up really finding your authentic being unquote.
Speaker 2: Which that's beautiful, Which is.
Speaker 3: A sentiment that resonates throughout the movie where it's so clear that the kids and the counselors have found their people and their community at theater camp, and they are among people who they feel comfortable, you know, being themselves around and exploring themselves around, and that they're wary of someone like Troy because he represents the type of person who typically doesn't embrace them and doesn't make them feel comfortable to be themselves. Like there's that moment when Amos goes up to Troy to be like, kids are here because they found community. They're sort of like the outcasts from heteronormative society and they are accepted here and they belong here, and you're not one of us, because like Troy is this like super BROI he's a jock totally. There's one of my favorite moments is when he is like up at the podium in the like cafeteria area and he's like talking into the microphone and then some kid.
Speaker 2: Just goes sis head bitch. It's so funny.
Speaker 3: But but to your point, Troy like comes around or he doesn't fall into that like stereotype of being like super toxic sis head bro guy who's gonna reject everyone he sees because.
Speaker 2: Now and it's like as misguided and the I don't know, like every Patty Harrison character is the funniest character in a movie and it's just like too bad for anyone else who was in a movie with her. But his whole thing was like I appreciate it. It was and I feel like this is normal for mockumentaries. There's really only room for like one or two actual emotional arcs and then you're getting just like a lot of characters, which is definitely true for this. It's very focused around Rebecca, Diane and Amos's friendship. Yeah, but I do like that with Troy, you get the feeling that like this whole journey in spite of the fact that he like has one brain cell is like he's trying to save his mom's business. He's trying to like and in the process is like learning and better understanding who she is and how loved she is in this community that he has never really been a part of, which you know, it's like clearly not like the emotional thrust of the movie. Sorry for saying thrust. I mean music to my ears. I know it's kind of your thing. Sorry, it's okay, but you know, I appreciate that that is like present. And again it's like, there were so many lazy tropes that if this was written by a straight guy twenty years ago probably would have been present and isn't here, which I think is one of the this movie's many strengths is that this movie is written primarily by women and queer people. I don't really again, sorry to Nick Lueberman, I don't really know anything about him. So while there is, as we discussed at the beginning, certainly a lot of privilege to the primary creative team, the movie is also written and directed by women and gay men, and that's who you want to be writing a movie about theater camp, especially someone who like the specificity. I mean, there's a specific dynamic in this movie that I'm excited to talk about, which is like a codependent again, it's like something that we've seen in tropier ways, But there's this codependent friendship that exists between Rebecca, Diane and Amos that evolves over time that I'm sure many people have seen themselves in. I saw myself in this relationship between them, where it's like a same straight or a woman who's attracted to men who falls in love with her best friend who turns out to be gay and not interested, and then it's like okay, processes that information and then the two of them go on to form one of the most codependent friendships to ever exist. It is such a unique dynamic, and it's so specific, and it is expressed I think even in the like even though it's over the top, it's so loving and I just really agree and that like they build in a way that I think again like a lesser, less tapped in writer group would have, you know, basically American pied it and turned it into this like big broad goofy story. There are like real dynamics that exist obviously within that friendship, as would any like of professional rivalry of like I am afraid of you succeeding in ways that I'm not because what does that say about me? And what does that say about us? And just I don't know. I feel like this movie really nails this specific friendship dynamic and in a greater sense, codependent friendship dynamics in general.
Speaker 3: Totally another hilarious joke. A lot of my notes for this movie is just I've written down all the funny joke that I like that's in the movie, and that's feminism because the movie is just so damn funny. But there's a scene where the counselors are gathered around a campfire and kind of sharing stories and experiences, and Io's character says something like, Yeah, it seems like the two of you have a really codependent friendship, and Amos is like, no, we don't. We just heavily depend on each other.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh, there's I mean, obviously, codependent friendships exist across the sexuality spectrum, but there is something very specific about this codependent friendship that felt both loving and familiar. And I would imagine a lot of this movie's target demographic knows what the shape of this friendship is. Definitely, and I do like that this movie has the courage, and I do think it is brave to have not every character be successful to the extent that they wanted to be at the end of the movie. It's something that I always really like about Christopher Guest movies as well, where I feel like, very often this convention of like, and here's what happened to them is used to be like and don't worry whatever struggles they were having. At the end of the movie, they went on to achieve their wildest dreams, and in this case, like that's not true. They end up basically normal, which in some ways you could say is hilarious coming from Ben Platten, Molly Gordon to objectively very successful people. But just from a writing perspective, I did appreciate that, like he continues at the theater camp, and I think maybe my favorite joke is he starts the check off like theater program for children of divorce, which is just a great joke. And that Rebecca Diane, you know, does like go on to experience success, but like she arrives at the bottom of the middle of theater success, which is like playing a minor role on a cruise ship. And I really, I really liked that. I feel like at the end of those movies you expect, especially in I think like twenty tens and twenty twenty movie culture, where everyone needs to have a redemption arc and like we there is, especially movies directed at younger audiences. I'm thinking about more recent Pixar movies too, where it's like no one is allowed to leave with a bad feeling and no one can die or get a boo boo. This is me being a Republican.
Speaker 3: I guess, wow, these Snufflake movies.
Speaker 2: I'm Tucker Carlson. No, but I am really like we need to be pushing villains off cliffs and failures should be an.
Speaker 3: Option, Quitting should be an option. Yeah, yeah, Like life is messy life. You heard it here first, and it should be represented that way on screen.
Speaker 2: Take it from a podcast or in year ten. Things don't always work out the way you expected. Wow, j.
Speaker 3: This was your lifelong dreams.
Speaker 2: You know you're right, You're right. But I liked where everybody landed at the end of the movie. I thought it was very charming.
Speaker 3: Right because like at the end of Legally Blonde, for example, it's like an Elle Woods graduates Magna Kum Laude of Harvard Law School and goes on to be the best lawyer ever.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately with Ellwood's I guess I will make an exception. I'm like, I believe it. I believe that she did that, but yeah, I don't know. I just this is again, like the dynamics in this movie are so specific and so like broad but also I guess specific and broad at the same time, which is just like a good satire. I'm trying to think of other characters, characters I would have liked to see more of, but I'm assuming we were not able to because of availability. This is I mean, especially in like a cast this large, you have to imagine that they were not always able to get a ton of people all the time. But Owen Teel is so funny and so talented and plays GG. Yes, he plays GG and has been in so many things in the last couple of years, but I feel like has yet to have like his big moment. I'm looking forward to it. He was in Overcompensating and Adults, two shows I iconically have not watched, but I hear people like and he also is a NEPO baby, because you have to be to be in this movie. Of course, let's see what else. Oh and Nathan Lee Graham as Clive, who just I have to assume like he just like was not available because he's on stage constantly, just a legend.
Speaker 3: We talked about him recently because he's he has a small role in Hitch He Dies and Zoolander.
Speaker 2: He's been in so many movies we've covered because he's also in Sweet Home Alabama. Oh right, yeah, he's in everything and originated one of the Broadway roles of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. So oh, no kidding, there's so many Nathan Lee Graham overlaps certainly a queer icon, and the love for theater in this movie is clear. And then and then you have like a few people from the comedy world as well. You have obviously like Amy Sedaris, who I don't know if she's ever done Broadway. I feel like she has, but I don't know. I don't know either. Her energy to me says yes, let me, let me, let me check this. Yes, okay, actually so much. Yes, okay, so that makes sense. So she's Broadway. But with I love I like Io and Patty are so well used in this movie. Patty's character like who becomes a larger character than you expect in a really fun way. She becomes like Jimmy Tatro's love interest. But it doesn't seem like they're gonna end together because I'm pretty sure the last you hear of her, she's like, this sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she doesn't like the production of Joan Still. Meanwhile, that's his mother. That's his mom, and he's like she feels so endeared by the performances.
Speaker 2: I was really kind of taken. I was like, Wow, Jimmy Tattra is moving me right now. This is crazy. It's just like it's a great ensemble cast. There are certain people that I would have liked to see more of. I think, like we were talking about Owen Teal Nathane graham Io to that point.
Speaker 3: One of my notes about this movie is that it does center like the cast at the very center of this movie are white actors, and it is a racially diverse cast, but the main characters are predominantly white, and all the characters that I would have liked to see more of two like you said, Gg Clive Janet, tend to be non white actors and characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I do think is more of a contemporary thing that I've noticed. I don't know if you've ever like specifically talked about it, but having a diverse setting but not necessarily a diverse movie in terms of whose stories are prioritized where I don't know whatever, pretending this movie came out in two thousand and three not twenty twenty three, I think we would have a story that centers white actors and they're surrounded by white actors. I mean Christopher Guest's movies are a great example of this. Yeah, but now it's like we are still primarily especially like and this it wasn't a gigantic release, but it was released by Searchlight, like it was a big enough release for this to be a worthy criticism. It still centers white stories, but they're in a more diverse environment, which is maybe like not the flex that it seems like right in any case, and there's there's always I will qualify that with like, I have no idea what this like. It's very possible think certainly with people like Io who are like constantly working, Oh, Intel is working a lot like that. This is just like how it shook out based on availability, but does feel worth mentioning.
Speaker 3: And I mean you know, you look at the writing and directing team and it's like they're broughtting themselves as the main characters, which is understandable, this happens a lot. But also it's like, Okay, who gets the opportunity to write, direct, and star in their own movies? It is usually white people.
Speaker 2: And white people from very privileged backgrounds, right, which is what this movie is. And again it's like I say that, Do I say that out of bitterness, yes, but it is also like worth mentioning in a way that I hope, like it doesn't take away from their you know, artistry, Like they're this movie is really good. They're talented writers and performers and also objectively, they're going to get to the front of the line each and every time because of how society works. Yes, I honestly don't have a lot else to say about this movie, just that I think it's so funny and there are so many hilarious jokes puns that I loved. The Gentra Vacation Project, the Caroline Helms, Yeah, that was her brainchild. That was her brainchild.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Troy is doing on Troy preneurship funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, I had to hate that one. But I it's this, like, this movie is everything that I feel like we're constantly being told are the kinds of movies you just don't get anymore. And I think it is like a nice reminder that we do get movies like this with some frequency. They're just like way harder to get made and seen than they once were because Hollywood studios don't invest in promoting original stories like this. Yeah. Yeah, So if you're wondering, like, oh my gosh, why aren't they making like these fun indie style movies like they used to, they are, you just have to look harder for them, unfortunately. Totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people are always saying like, oh, everything that comes out is a Marvel or a Star Wars or whatever other huge franchise movies, big studio IP movies, and that is a lot of what comes out and a lot of what gets the big budgets and all the promo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But in this year alone, twenty twenty three, when Theater Camp came out, there was also Dix the Musical, which.
Speaker 2: Was another movie that didn't get it's due.
Speaker 3: Totally Polite Society came out this year, Wicked Little Letters came out that year. One of my favorite films from twenty twenty three. It's fun and.
Speaker 2: The thing that is and I guess like it that's not even we're not even criticizing the audience for this, because I feel like there is just like so much gaslighting in the way that, like the way that people are told quote unquote what audiences want, because if you look at like box office numbers, to get pedantic for a second, if you look at box office numbers for these like big tent pole like Marvels or Marvel style releases, they're making way less money than they used to because people get burnt out, they get sick of seeing the same kind of movie over and over and over. And original stories are doing much better even though they you know, still often need and this has been true forever, like some star power to get them out there. I'm like thinking about the drama as a recent example of like that movie made over one hundred million dollars and it's an original story, whether you liked it or not, Like it's a great case study for it, and it's like people want to see original stories. But I feel like we're still kind of that most original stories, especially if you don't have a huge star or you don't have a rich parent or whatever. It is like, it's just going to be harder for your work to get seen. But it doesn't mean that it is happening. And you know, the next time you see a headline that's like, no one wants to see original stories, that's why we're disinvesting in them. It's just not true. It's just not true. It's like the same. I feel like we've had this conversation around like movies for women and specifically older women of like how I think of like The First Wives Club example, While and while that is like a wealthy white movie, but that was a great case study for oh, well, we don't think this audience exists, and then it very much existed. Black Panther, same thing, even though that's a Marvel movie. They're like, there's no market for a black superhero and then it makes a billion dollars. It's just okay, that's that's my little rant for the day. You're so true.
Speaker 3: Also, Bottoms came out this year. So like some of the funniest movies that have come out in recent years, many of them came out in twenty twenty three. These were all original stories, lower budget films. That were so funny and smart and.
Speaker 2: Did find their audience it just they but didn't get the push they deserved exactly.
Speaker 3: Do you have anything else you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, this is just like a good If you haven't seen this movie, it is, I believe on Hulu, and it's a great movie to like, invite some friends over and have some fun. I have yet to hear of a theater fan friend who has a negative thing to say about this movie. Like they did it right, They sure did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like you said, it does pass the Bechdel test, it does. Yeah, And we already talked about it at the top of this show. I don't think we need to be labor the point any further. But what about our nipple scale, the Bechdel cast nipple scale where or the Bechtel camp Y scale where we rate the movie on a scale of zero to five nipples examining it through an intersectional feminist lens.
Speaker 2: Right, Ray, Ray, I'm gonna give it.
Speaker 3: I think like a three point seventy five nice It's doing pretty well. The representation we see is very diverse across gender sexuality. I would say to a lesser extent race, because again the movie does center the white characters, but there's body diversity.
Speaker 2: We see.
Speaker 3: It's a very inclusive group generally. Again, one of the sentiments that keeps being expressed throughout the movie is uh and that, like the asked and the filmmakers have talked about when they speak about this movie and they speak about theater camp and theater kids and just theater experience in general, that it is an inclusive group and that everyone is welcome because you know, like Island of Misfit Toys kind of thing. So there's places where I think it could have been more inclusive in general, but it's it's doing a great job.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: There's so many good jokes in this movie. The cast is terrific. The Jones still should be winning Tony's.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you enjoy the soundtrack of the movie, it did come out. I do believe it is streaming, which is kind of as is Dicks the musical. So yeah, I feel like twenty twenty three was a great year for musical comedies that were under promoted. And it's a crime, and it's a crime to humanity, and in the twenty twenties, for some reason we have no idea or willingness how to promote musicals anyway. It's true. So three point seventy five, who are you giving them to?
Speaker 3: Oh, just everybody, everyone in the cast and crew, because behind the scenes people matter too, as we see with Glen.
Speaker 2: Glen, I will I'll meet you there. I think that for our metric. Yeah, there are certainly like a few notes on the rampometer on the amount of fun this movie is ten out of ten, and that it's like doing. I think it is like a clear progression in this genre specifically that is like very encouraging and very cool and is a more inclusive approach to the mockumentary genre that we don't always get. And yeah, it's super funny. I really love it and you should watch it if you haven't. I am going to give my nipples too. I guess I'll just split my three point five nipples among the writers, but I'll give two to Molly Gordon because I'm a really big fan of her work. I think Rebecca Diane is so funny and I also felt very seen by her.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, yeah, there you have it. You can follow us on Instagram at Bechdel Cast. You can subscribe to the aforementioned Matreon at patreon dot com slash Bechdel Cast. You you already said that all the things, two hundred plus episodes in the back catalog, that you get access to two brand new episodes every month on an amazing theme.
Speaker 2: And that's where you can hear. Most of our mockumentary episodes I believe are over on the Matreon.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because we've done best and show, we've done what we do in the shadows, among others, others.
Speaker 2: We've been doing the show for ten years. Please be patient with us. Grandma's are going to bed. Yeah, but yes, if you if you want more, there is there is so much more. And it's also just like such a fun community. And we will be announcing our ten yure tour later in the yearth and you will get first path at tickets if you are a matron, So head over there for that. And with that, let's go audition for the next regional production of Joan Still I'm there, Bye bye. The Bechdel Cast is a production of iHeartMedia, hosted and produced by me Jamie Loftus.
Speaker 3: And me Caitlyn Durrante. The podcast is also produced by Sophie Lichtermann and.
Speaker 2: Edited by Caitlyn Durrante. Ever heard of them? That's Me and our logo and merch and all of our artwork in fact are designed by Jamie Loftus.
Speaker 3: Ever heard of her?
Speaker 2: God? And our theme song, by the Way, was composed by Mike Kaplan with vocals by Katherine Voskrasinski. Iconic and especial thanks to the one and only Aristotle Ascevedo.
Speaker 3: For more information about the podcast, please visit Linktree Slash Spectelcast