Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of week Trend Update two indictment Boogalooo those are still cool, right and electric boogoloo references.
Speaker 2: You're gonna do two indictment too, fur Yeah, I don't know what are we doing? Get past like five. When we don't like those naming conventions for like multiple sequels die, we'll give up on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe or it's like week Trend Update sixteen, not what I mean, Week Trend Update xex.
Speaker 1: I was having some fun Roman numeral conversations with my kids this weekend.
Speaker 3: Wow, dude, your kids are on Roman numerals already.
Speaker 1: Our seven year old is a real math guy, so wow.
Speaker 2: Oh and he's like into history and stuff, so he's probably seeing Roman numerals and he's like, what is this stuff?
Speaker 3: It's like are these letters? I found out?
Speaker 1: By the way, I gave his school credit for like teaching him the truth about but World War two? World War two? It wasn't his school, it was his Eastern year p and chess tutor who we work with on online like we do zoom lessons, and she's the one she was like teaching a military.
Speaker 3: Part of like chest Oh man, he's on that chess life too.
Speaker 1: He's real. Yeah, he destroys me in chess. That's really embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Are you like afraid he's just like he's like an Ai who's just gonna like consume you at a certain point. Like he's so advanced, he's into Roman numerals, he's chest champion, he's he already knows about the truth about World War Two.
Speaker 1: I caught him mirroring me out of the corner of my eye and just like kind of adopting a bunch of gestures that I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's just.
Speaker 1: How parenting works or if he's not going to just take me over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's our fate, you know, our parents on some level.
Speaker 1: Dark fate. Which movie has a dark fate?
Speaker 3: Movie? Is that? Is that? Transformers? I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's no way to Norminator Terminator. Yeah, it's so sad that the Terminator franchise is indistinguishable.
Speaker 3: From from Transformers.
Speaker 1: Transformers in my brain. The Transformers had a good showing at the domestic box office this weekend. That was basically all that happened. Not much else since we last spoke to you guys.
Speaker 3: Was it bafo or no?
Speaker 1: It was No, it wasn't boffo. It performed above very limited expectations and be tive boffo boffo zero. Yeah, it beat Across Spider Versus second Weekend, which a lot of people didn't think it was going to do. But I told you man, that movie the idea of robotic animals makes no sense, but really hits the seven year old brain correctly, just explodes it.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing I read was at the Across the Spider Verse, it already made all the money that into the Spider Verse made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just passed. Oh okay, this is a good it's crazing.
Speaker 2: I think people slept on the first one a little bit for sure, like it was one of those things.
Speaker 3: After that, I was one of those people who came late to the part and it was like, this is fucking this is amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't go chout out to Caitlyn Durante because she was super onto. That was evangelical about getting people to see that first one. And I can't wait to have her on to hear her thoughts on the second. She's done it, and you would have we have plans to see the second Across Spider Verse this weekend, so still haven't seen it. But when you have kids, it takes like a whole, a whole planning thing.
Speaker 3: I hear you, Jack, I hear you, Man.
Speaker 1: This is Dad Brock. Increasingly this show is dad talk. I didn't see, by the way, Past Lives this past weekend so good. My brain doesn't like I can't even talk about it. But I was in the theater. Yeah it was. It was really good. I highly recommend. All right, but the big news from the weekend you got in dieted folks, double as you said, Trump indicted double LP world excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, not so fast lips, not so fucking fast, because I know we saw it, and I remember Thursday night, I was like, oh shit, but part of me was like, let's see the indictment come out. Let's see everything, and like then I'll figure out how I feel about it. So thirty seven counts dealing with obstruction the Espionage Act for our boy Donnie and also his body man Walt Nauda, who is like these transcripts just read as like him, be like, move the bucks is there, get them away here, move them over there, breaking laak law for me, dude. The indictment is wild in that they are basically using all of just his Trump's own words and the words of like his own people against him as like the most damning evidence. It's not like from you know, like outside investigators, like now he.
Speaker 3: Said this, then he did this, then this is what his lawyer said.
Speaker 2: And the picture of like where the documents were held or like like a parody of themselves, because people were saying like they were just in these like legal boxes strewn about like in a bathroom, in a shower stall, on a ballroom stage, and the pictures are like it looks like some shit I would have done in college, Like would just been like, yeah, just put everything in the fucking bathroom so nobody can see it for right now. And yeah, we also have a tape of him literally saying like this is secret, look at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Too, you gotta check it out. I used to be it's like I could declassify these when I was president. Now not so much, indicating that this thing is not declassified, therefore you probably shouldn't look at it. And then there's like a apparently there was an aid who after that realization was like verbalized was like okay, so I think we have a problem now because even this aid knew. It's like, you can't those are military plans.
Speaker 1: He's breaking the law in a room with people who are like stop breaking the law.
Speaker 3: Law being broken, and he's he's yeah.
Speaker 2: He was like almost doing the things that you want to see, naked pictures of my mother and they're like, yeah, I don't know about you know, this is I don't know why even mentioned that, and that's not necessary I need to see or I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: It's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the pictures are amazing. The pictures really make me feel better. Like you said about like my living situation, hat my document, my top secret document storage in my life, you know, just shit lying around. There's also the text. There's the text from Malania. People think it was from Malania that was in the indictment where she was like just wanted you to know Potus wants to bring the Potus documents on the flight, but we won't have room for them because of luggage. Just just messy, like literally just messy. They are messy people, slapty messy people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very sloppy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean like you see all that, You're like, okay, this this looks juicy. I mean everybody, it was funny, Like on MSNBC all day Friday, they were like giggling reading the transcripts.
Speaker 3: Go to page sixteen.
Speaker 2: They're like, I'm barely getting through anything right now, like and then anyway, they're all celebrating.
Speaker 3: But I was like, who's gonna be the judge? What's yeah? What's like? Where? Like?
Speaker 2: What are all the details here? So there's tapes from Trump's own fucking lawyer. Two of his lawyers fucking resigned like after the indictment came through, and you're like, oh shit, he barely has any legal representation. This is gonna get good. But the first and most frightening thing that should keep the liberals out there from dancing in the streets to Kings of Leon with their MPR tote bags is to point out the judge who was this. I don't know why I picked Kings of Leon.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, because I was just telling you before we started recording that have you heard this song where it's like your sex is on fire, so edgy, so fun so you own me?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah? While you were You're swinging and.
Speaker 1: Crazy, dude, like what I do do? Rock my MPR tote with a cuff in the crease exactly, with.
Speaker 3: A tilted brim. So the other thing.
Speaker 2: So Eileen Cannon, the judge who was there for the like document scand when it kicked off, that's who he was assigned.
Speaker 3: He's right back with his own appointee overseeing this trial. And I'm pretty sure I think she's younger than you.
Speaker 1: Jack, Yeah, she's uh, I think like right my age. She graduated the same year that I did from college.
Speaker 2: Wow, and look at us opposite sides of the coin now. But yeah, like if you remember in the when the document scandal first broke out, she basically did everything in her power to tilt the scale in Trump's favor to the point where like all legal experts, even like conservators, are like, this is a little fucking gross, Like this is not good. Like she was like, FBI, you cannot look at the documents, even though, like you, this is part of your investigation. I'm assigning a special master to try and delay things.
Speaker 3: And then the phrase special master.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the special master was like, uh, this is pretty wild. Like I actually would need to hear from Donald Trump to kind of explain the context of a lot of this stuff, and she's like, no, you don't, You're not gonna do that, and then she went against him and then basically she got like smacked down by an appeals court fucking twice during that whole thing.
Speaker 3: So now she's.
Speaker 2: Here with tremendous power over this trial, and a lot of people are like, maybe she'll recuse herself, but like she can do any dude. She can fucking dismiss the fun She can dismiss the case after the prosecution presents their case and it's unreviewable, Like she could literally just go like boom, smoke bomb, it's over. Haha.
Speaker 1: Oh really yeah, it can't be like thrown to an appeals court.
Speaker 2: No, No, she would basically be taking over like for the jury to basically like I've seen enough. You didn't present anything that's efferent, like, and that's that's scary. A lot of people think she won't go that far, but like, I don't know, Like everything is on the line for Donald Trump, but I mean he has multiple I guess that's why there's multiple cases against him. Oh and then the other thing is like she could delay the trial till after the election, in which case maybe if there's a Republican that wins, that might come to save Trump or maybe Trump himself comes to save himself. And even just over like the jury' selection, she can also you know, look the other way when there might be clearly like you know, someone in like a QAnon T shirt would like like said that I like I met JFK Junior today on and she'd be like, yeah, yeah, that person looks good.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in the indictment, I haven't had a chance to read all thirty seven pages without like my eyes crossing in boredom. But ye, is there a plan? Like do they have any motive for why he was holding onto the documents?
Speaker 3: Like what?
Speaker 1: Like I feel like I don't know, just have lived through and like done this show through the impeachment where what he did was far worse than Watergate, right, he was like basically being like it would be a shame if you know, he didn't get the military aid you need, you need to you know, try and find a compromise. Yeah, another example of cheating on the twenty twenty election, basically but in advance and like we don't really talk about that anymore. It was like that, Yeah, the impeachment just happened, he was impeached, and we don't really talk about that anymore. It kind of didn't touch him. So I am just like wondering, like, because he's going to be going full blast. We'll talk about this clip that he stole from air in a second. He's going to be going full blast, and like I'm being politically persecuted.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And like I feel like.
Speaker 1: They need to have some narrative, like the people who are trying to use this to make him not be the president in twenty twenty four need to like have a story to tell, like where he like what he is trying to do in this case that is not just like he was sloppy with documents that nobody like really cares about in the end, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing is they're doing it under this statute where merely just having them is the crime, right, you know, it doesn't doesn't need to be any other intent with it.
Speaker 3: Aside from the fact that it's classified.
Speaker 2: You can't have them, and you have them, and you're also showing willfully that you know you can't have them, and you're doing everything you can to like play keep away from investigators when they ask you about boxes, because like the way like boxes and documents are trickling down, it just clearly felt it like Okay, give them like a little bit of that chunk over there, but not the good stuff and say that's it kind.
Speaker 3: Of a thing.
Speaker 2: I think the more most cynical one where people saying, like who did they sell this to?
Speaker 3: Right, that's that's what.
Speaker 2: That's the question that potentially is like the most damning is that like, no, he held onto this because he knew he could cash this in as like a chip.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It seems like for legal purposes, what they have right now is enough. I think for political purposes, it would be really helpful if like somewhere somewhere along the line they could establish motive or you know some at least like do some reporting to suggest like what was he doing holding onto these other than just it being the equivalent of a Evander Holyfield signed box and glove that he like gets to show off in his office.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think like they're just they're going for the efficient, tidy thing, where like this is the same thing he was cheering when like reality Winner was like also charged under the Espionage Act and he's like, yeah, you got to do that you got it, Like you can't have these documents. They even have him quoting that even with like Hillary Clinton, and they're like, he knows, he knows, he knows he.
Speaker 3: Can't have it, and he has it.
Speaker 2: And I think for them trying to prove anything else is maybe a bridge too far when they know it's like, bro, we got him right here on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But again, I think in the court of public opinion, who knows what the fuck?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know if that's going to sway anybody, because everybody is either like, please get.
Speaker 3: Him out of here, or other people like I don't.
Speaker 2: Care if he's indicted, Yeah, he's my president, because I think that there's some like eighty percent of Republicans are truly on the ray j A, I don't care, Yeah, if he's indicted. So I don't know who we're convincing except for maybe like a jury. But again, this goes back to the trial. Right, there's other dynamics that play. Just there's like the Florida of it all, because you're down there, you're not in you're like the pool of voters you have.
Speaker 3: There's a good change. I mean, it's it's pretty split.
Speaker 2: I mean, Biden won by like a couple hundred thousand votes, but it's gonna be You're gonna have all kinds of interesting people in that jury pool. And it's not a far fetched idea to think. All it takes is one maga person to like get in there and just say like I'm gonna save Donald Trunk from persecution and just be the holdout who causes like a hung jury and then just like, yeah, all right, so I did my part. So there's a lot of things that still can go wrong for this.
Speaker 3: I think before.
Speaker 2: People probably really think yeah, yeah, yeah, that that that this is like open and shut.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and here, let's take a quick break and well we'll be right back. We'll keep talking about this.
Speaker 3: And we're back and yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, so, I like, it's weird, like my my brain has been poisoned by the last eight six years, however long it's been since he's been like a serious, serious political you know figure, not serious but serious because we have to take him seriously because he has an immense amount of power. But you know, so it's fucked up that he's shifted the overdom window to the degree that like he's doing.
Speaker 3: Like the thing that they got Nixon.
Speaker 1: For with Watergate is like so minor compared to like that he is just shedding watergates on a daily basis throughout his presidency, throughout the aftermath of his presidency.
Speaker 3: It sucks that it's that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then like you like you said, like it's not going to make a difference to his most maga brained supporters because you know, they're just going to go with them on whatever.
Speaker 3: Right, like they they they're going to say it's it's just corrupt.
Speaker 1: This massive scaffolding of conspiracy theories that can hop in and explain anything.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Like even Jim Jordan, he like he was on CNN not making sense too, like defending him on that very similar thing of like, well I trust the president. He says it's declassified that It's like that's okay.
Speaker 1: Fine, yeah, But when it comes to like if he's the actual nominee right for the Republican Party, and like his whole appeal is that he doesn't follow rules and is anti establishment, and this whole case is built around him not following the rules and being anti establishment, and like if we have just you know, if people are tired enough of Biden seeming to not be able to, you know, do anything against Yeah, stay awake, affect to anything against like the big corporate power establishment. Like I could see there being enough frustration and this, I don't know, adding to Trump's whole appeal.
Speaker 3: Like that's why I just I don't know. I've always been a.
Speaker 1: Little bit dubious of this one other than like showing that he is not a serious person to quote succession, you know, he's he's dealing with these documents like it like putting them in the ballroom at Mar a Lago while they're having parties at Mar Alago and just like using it as a flex like his own personal money phone. Is like how many classified documents he fucking has? Right, And so that's crazy. It proves he's not serious. But like also if it's just sloppiness, like he does have the retort that like Biden had boxes of classified documents next to his corvette. So like it's the it's the willful obstruction of it that that has to come into effect, And like I need a reason for the wilful obstruction other than him saying fuck you to the intelligence and security establishment. Because I also don't mind someone saying fuck you to the intelligence in some security establishment. So I don't know, it's just like it also feels like we've been burned before by these moments where everybody in the mainstream media gets giddy about how fucked Trump is and then you know, and then it feels like the same, Yeah, he's been raising off of it.
Speaker 2: I totally get that, But I think it's like, on one thing, right, it's like we've seen people go down who are like whistleblowers, who are trying to do something for the public good and get slammed on this shit in the same way. So it's like, on one level, you're like, what has to fucking cut both ways, like or else?
Speaker 3: This is total bullshit.
Speaker 2: But I think the bigger issue is that fun this is like a larger political problem, right, Yeah, And the reason we're still here too is because the Republicans just won't fucking put this dude down like they put like they absolutely could, but because he has the power, like he has the base, they are completely like, ah, I guess we just keep fucking going along with this shit as it gets worse and worse and worse. But there's so many things that we could be doing outside of just trying to get him in jail, that could potentially, you know, prevent another person like this from coming to power, like you know, through like like voting.
Speaker 3: Rights and shit like that.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's kind of it's it's complex in that way, but it's also kind of like this feels like this thing where like no one in the political arena wants to do the hard works, like of just being like we have to just take all of his influence away and not align ourselves with him and just whatever comes when that comes with that. I don't know how potent of a solution that would be. But it also feels like again Republicans have been waiting for something too, just to be like, when is this fucking case gonna happen that just fucking rids us of this guy.
Speaker 3: Please, we don't know any other way to handle this.
Speaker 2: And yeah, to your point about like Nixon, it's like that fucking scene in Willow where like they start rolling down the hill like on the snow and then it becomes a gigantic snowball by the bottom. Because like first it starts with Nixon. It's like a couple of things here and then you get like Reagan, and it starts getting fucking wilder, and then you get like Bush, and then it's like what the fuck uh? And then inevitably you get this gigantic snowball in the form of Trump, where.
Speaker 3: He's like, you, guys want to see some secret documents. You can't see them.
Speaker 2: Their secret anyway, this is our plan to attack I ran I just sold it to Saudi Arabia for like three bills.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Like, from a narrative perspective of the cases he's facing, the Georgia case, like where he legitimately and openly tried to cheat to win the presidential election, feels like the one that like any possible swing voter who could like come over to his side, like might be compelled by And the indictments on that one are expected to drop in August, so he's definitely in a lot of trouble. It's just like we've seen him be impervious to this sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And can these indictments affect his ability to run and get votes? Yeah, none of it. Yeah, not a single thing. I think that's the big thing to remember, because all of his crimes are done so blatantly out in the open. You don't need like discovery or like a trial to begin to understand like what exactly went down. Like he says all this shit out loud and immediately you're either going to be turned off by it and be like this is absolutely nonsense, or you're gonna be like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, fucking show him.
Speaker 2: So it's it's hard to think that like even like to the point with this, like what could be the more you know, appealing or sexier narrative around the this documents thing with mar A Lago.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's not gonna matter.
Speaker 2: Like you could again, you could have him on tape and like, hey, Mohammed bin Selman, So I got these secret documents for you, baby. Uh got him on a jump drive? Where should I drop him off? Where's my duffel bag full of cash selling America's secrets.
Speaker 3: It's just not gonna it won't matter. Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 1: That one would though, Like if he's actively I just think there's a difference between him being fuck you to the security establishment and him actively like undermining America's security. So I do I do feel like it is worthwhile for the investigators or you know, journalists who are digging in covering this to establish like what he was doing with them, why he was doing anything with them other than just like flexing on people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the thing many people are pointing out to is like you know, they're like this, this just puts everybody at risk who tries to get this kind of information. Uh, and so that's like the big ding on on you know Trump in that sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But oh, one thing I was gonna say, is one of the documents that Trump is referencing like in those tapes, his lawyers can't find it.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, like.
Speaker 1: It is just we may hold me up sweatily in his pocket, who knows.
Speaker 2: Or maybe someone It would be wild though to be to think that, like like if he was selling them.
Speaker 3: He's like, okay, and here's the original.
Speaker 2: Copy, Like you'd think he just take a picture or something, just like I'll give you the infuts, like I'm gonna keep the fucking document though, He's like, I'll give you the information, but I want that shit. Yeah, So I don't know, maybe he really does have it in his pocket, or maybe he it's like stock X, like it got verified and then now someone from another nation is now holding onto the verified document.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I have no doubt that his brain works in a way that the thing he was trying to do was sel The's or you know, get like trade access to them for various favors like that. So that's just like what I'm hoping eventually gets revealed here because I think that would undermine him a little bit more than just like you broke the rules, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the part where they probably don't have maybe don't have enough evidence to go down that road.
Speaker 3: But again, we don't know what they have.
Speaker 2: We only have this like sort of talking indictment that we saw at the end of last week, so there's there could be plenty more, so who knows, but yeah, yeah, we shall see.
Speaker 1: Do you see his use of the quote from the movie Air? He like took Matt Damon's monologue from Air.
Speaker 2: I only saw the headlines that said, like Matt Damon and Beneffleck were like, we did not consent to this being used.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was Reagan using Born in the USA all over again. But right, Yeah, So the video features dramatic shots of Trump walking next to a helicopter speaking at rallies praying, all while we hear Matt Damon's character, a Nike executive, pitching his product to Jordan, and the speech in the movie you still haven't seen Air, right, No, No, The speech of the movie is the climb. It's the climax of the movie. And it always like felt really weird and out of place. So like they're pitching Jordan he comes into the Nike offices, They're like showing him a highlight reel of his clips from college played to like a yacht rock soundtrack, and he's like out on it. And then Matt Damon's character is like, look, man and like gives this really like heartfelt speech about how like you're gonna be the greatest player in the world, and then like once you're at your peak, everyone's gonna start trying to tear you down, and like it's really about like what you do in that moment when you're at the height of power and everyone's trying to tear you down, and it's just such a weird like that that was in retrospect now because like I've been trying to make sense of like why I don't like Air as much as everybody else for the past.
Speaker 3: Couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Right, It's it's so weird because like Jordan was as beloved and as free from criticism and turbulence as any iconic figure in like modern pop culture history. Like compare me to like Muhammad Ali before him, or Lebron since like everybody's rooting for Jordan, and.
Speaker 3: He made a point to not rock the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like that was you were never going to hear him give you like a hot take on some shit.
Speaker 3: It He's like, oh, just give me my fucking checks, let me play.
Speaker 1: His career was like if Tiger Woods never had the sex scandal. It was just like everyone was just like, yeah, man, you're the best and we love you, Like can we hang out with you? We want to wear whatever you're wearing, even though your sense of fashion.
Speaker 3: My head, I got a ring too, I got a hearing too. Cool.
Speaker 1: Right, So anyways, it stuck out to me as like being weird and kind of coming out of nowhere. But so it does kind of like it's just a good example of how Trump is going to play this, as like he's being politically persecuted for doing something that's against the rules that nobody cares about. Really, and yeah, I don't know like it he did do it again. This just completely plays into like the crime he committed here is that he just like used it without any permission or any thought as to like getting permission from the movie to use the cliff.
Speaker 3: Who is the one make who's thinking of? Like did Trump see air? You think? No?
Speaker 1: You know it's got to be some probably like generated in one of the forums or something like that.
Speaker 3: Like oh oh, this isn't like from his campaign it is.
Speaker 1: But like I'm sure he found it somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh got you re true thing? I mean, who knows, I mean, I get they're probably all just they're like, man, that shit is so dope because Trump is like Michael Jordan and they again, it does show you what the perspective is for him and his supporters. It's a it's a haters versus baller's narrative. Yeah, it's not a morality thing or a legal thing. No, you're balling out of control, literally you're out of control, and uh, they just they hate you. Yeah, and that's all it is, man, Just like Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they didn't even cut like that. They edit it for time, but they also keep the line a shoe is just a shoe until someone steps into.
Speaker 3: It, which is very specific to the movie because.
Speaker 2: The part that they the operative part is the linery. He's like, you're gonna change the fucking world. But you know what, once they build you as high as they possibly can, they're gonna tear you back down.
Speaker 3: I like that they did the but a shoe is just a shoe until.
Speaker 1: Someone steps into air Jordan Anyways, that.
Speaker 2: Should have been for Ron DeSantis talking about him wearing those big cowboy boots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're like, they want to talk about my boots.
Speaker 2: Well, guy, what a shoe is just a shoe until someone steps into it?
Speaker 1: Onto it in my case because it is one foot in the air and I need to step onto an apple box to even get into my shoes. Oh Rob, Yeah, Rob, we'll see.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's it's nice to see. I mean, apparently it's all Trump is not happy. So there's that, so you could that's that's that's a little bit of a treat I guess you can have is that he's definitely not feeling good. But at the end of the day, there's all there's a lot, there's so many variables like any other lawyer be like, hey, man, you might want to.
Speaker 3: Take a plea here, bro, Yeah, but not this guy. Yeah, he's unhappy.
Speaker 1: And yet I feel like that is when he thrives, is in conflict, like as opposed to like this would kill Ron DeSantis, like he would he would just oh yeah, and he would wither away like the guy at the end of Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade.
Speaker 2: Ron DeSantis has too much of a knowledge of like the legal system to not be shook by seeing that, whereas Trump is like, I don't know, Daddy would always pay for me to get away with stuff. And when you're operating from that place, then like you're kind of you're protecting your psyche from real damage of the consequences when you're used to just being like, oh, pivot off of this and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Just lie, all right, Let's take one more break and we'll come back and talk about a couple other non Trump stories from the weekend. And we're back, and Tony Awards went on with no scripts. Thank god. We can talk about how much we were all watching the ship out of the Tony Awards.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so it wasn't the seventy sixth Aniel Awards or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I know that, no clue. No, I'm not up on the world of theater infamously. Yeah, a lot of people, a lot of people look.
Speaker 3: To me for that.
Speaker 2: And uh, this ain't your king you're looking for because he don't like the stage. That's right, it's the Shrek musical, which was actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: I just like it.
Speaker 2: So the w GA strike is happening, which means pens down and nobody's writing whatsoever. Although like low key you know in the industry there people are doing more like scab shit were like things that used to be union like type of awards shows. They'd be like, it's actually non union now. So if a producer wants to come and think of lines to say, we'll pay you.
Speaker 3: There anyway, all that to say is no one's writing.
Speaker 2: And I guess the Tony Awards went they actually said that's fine.
Speaker 3: Everything will be improvised, yes.
Speaker 1: Like, which is impossible when you know, like how complicated, uh like you have to coordinate all the camera moves you have to uh yeah. So it opens with the host saying tonight is unscripted. Darling's uh and insisting that the only words on the teleprompter would be please wrap up, and then holding up a script that was blank, uh, which is a joke that someone apparently didn't have to write. That was just something that she came up with on the spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also like very Trumpian and that like you do have writers, but you're doing this thing and be like and then show a script with no words on it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they can't believe that.
Speaker 2: We had fucking we were paying people to fucking write this or whatever forced people do.
Speaker 3: Oh no, well wait, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that does sound like a nightmare logistically to produce a live award show and not have any sense of the timing for what people are gonna say, unless it was so rigid, like person, comes on, you get to say a couple things, then get to opening the fucking envelope, announce, and then move on type of shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah I'm doing.
Speaker 1: I mean, there was a seven minute dance number up top, so it couldn't have been that rigid. But yeah, I mean it's so when the awards were handed out, some of the recipients were themselves WGA members and took the opportunity to call attention to the strike, which was actually by design because like, behind the scenes of the show, there was a lot of negotiations happening where like the WGA was at first telling their members not to even go to the show, but then they agreed they wouldn't pick it the award.
Speaker 3: If you don't use a script. Okay, you don't use the script.
Speaker 1: But then the Dramatists Guild, which represents play writes, composers, and lyricists, met with the nominees and convinced them to just go to the awards but voice support for the writers.
Speaker 3: So it's all, yeah, that is like.
Speaker 1: A recurring nightmare of having to do a show and like not having any of the like lines memorized, or like not the script being blank or you know, like that sort of thing is like is a It feels like a stress dream come to life, like doing an award seriously without a single thing written down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel bad for everybody who was on the crew of that producing an all improvised award show. Uh but I mean, Leah Ziching, did you see it? Did it feel improvised? Did it feel a little produced? Let us know, because I for one, do not have time to watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah I didn't either, but good to see them, good to see them pretend.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, I want to I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. And everyone did their damnedest to give one hell of an improvised award show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, celebrating the arts is not the it's not the worst thing in the world. But yeah, we obviously don't want this to be the new the new norm where they're now like yeah, they're now like but it's improvised.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, it's like yeah, and it's all like UCB and like Groundling's improvisers now doing lives.
Speaker 3: It's like we're literally not writing anything. They're coming up with it right there. I don't know, so.
Speaker 1: Because that does, I think play too Like the public likes to believe that like stuff is improvised, Like when you watch a movie that like, oh man, that that stuff had to be improvised. How much were they coming up with on the spot like that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I think that's the persistent thing that you hear from actors and writers in particular, being like, yeah, that's an annoying thing that actors like to play into as well. Uh, Right, that Yeah, we're just kind of letting the camera run and riffing on stuff, and you know, came up with.
Speaker 3: Some real jud appetitow shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we were on some real appetite shit. And finally, uh nine to eleven truthers Old News say hello to six eleven truthers.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Sunday was June eleventh, and a portion of the I ninety five in Philadelphia collapsed after a tanker truck burst into flames early Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so like a whole chunk.
Speaker 1: Of like one of the biggest arteries in the United States collapsed.
Speaker 3: I saw the footage of that. It was horrified. Look the wild part.
Speaker 2: I saw a video of people who were on the like the part of the freeway that was above where the fire was like directly underneath the like flaming tanker. And it's wild to just see people like pull up to this part of the freeway that's clearly has huge flames and smoke like flying out from both sides, and like you kind of see cars stop and they're like should.
Speaker 3: I drive through this? Right? Do I? What do I do?
Speaker 2: And it's like some people break And then at one I saw this shot of like just an eighteen wheel or just like fucking just full like pedal to the metal, just going right through another kind of gave other drivers the confidence. But like knowing that that shit just collapsed right after my god, that's like kind of I don't blame people for being like, I don't know if I should drive fucking over the cooking bridge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe not the best time to be brave to uh go brave enough to get to wah wah, you know, hey, but we got to. But a few people on Twitter pointed out that the collapse is not far from four seasons total landscaping. So okay, I don't know. You you connect the dots. We're just putting we're putting the dots out there. You connect them for us? Uh, six eleven obviously six is nine upside down? Whoa, It's wait, like what else do I have to say here?
Speaker 3: Miles? Uh? But okay, inside job. I love that.
Speaker 2: People are just like kind of being like stupid and saying that. But does anyone have any kind does the theory go beyond being like what.
Speaker 3: If it was six eleven instead of nine to eleven? Like, is there anything about I ninety five? Right there?
Speaker 2: They're like the reason they did it is because they're trying to stop.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like, what is there? Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think they have motive yet, but you know, the motive will be revealed, more will be revealed. I'm sure I think this is time for a new Q drop.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, exactly so.
Speaker 2: But yeah, sorry, I mean this says gonna take months to repair, which I get because it looked like it just a fucking whole section of that thing just fucking caved in.
Speaker 3: Oof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a bridge melted.
Speaker 3: Essentially. Never good, Never good, folks, never good. It's bad news.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday morning, June twelfth.
Speaker 3: We are back tomorrow with a whole.
Speaker 1: Ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get in the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: At the conf