Speaker 1: My kids said a Alexa alert yesterday, Like right when we were about to start recording, I suddenly hear the Alexa full blast in the kitchen, just being like alert reminder, you are getting a dog. You are getting a dog. They're trying to like trick me into thinking I had set an alert to just some subtle gaslighting. Yeah, yeah, dad, was what I was like, impressed? Did they just watch Inception right? Alert? You are getting a dog right now? Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three point fifty seven, episode four of der Day's I Stay production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's share consciousness. And it is Thursday, September twenty sixth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, what's going on, Miles hey man. It's National Compliance Officer Day. It's National Situational Awareness Day. It's National dump It's National dumpling.
Speaker 3: Day, It's National pancake Day, it's National Shamboo the Whale Day, and also National Johnny apple Seed Day. Johnny apple Seed. We had to sing that every day before lunch and my Lutheran school, you had what we had to sing Johnny apple Seed. There was a Johnny apple seed Christian song that we would have to sing before we would go like to the cafeteria for lunch. It was really stupid. It was like always like this grace song that we say, make sure.
Speaker 1: That you were thanking Jesus for your apples.
Speaker 3: No, it was about the about the Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord for giving me the things I need, the sun and the rain.
Speaker 1: Of the apple seed. The Lord is far to me.
Speaker 3: Omen I'm in amen. Let's see Taco Bell.
Speaker 1: Oh man, did you have to Taco Bell?
Speaker 3: We got it acasionally, but yeah, that was like when like somebing went down with the cafeteria, like look, yo, we got Wiener Schnitzel and Taco Bell.
Speaker 1: So you know, my seventh grade cafeteria had the bean burritos and they were consistently yeah yeah, like pretty regularly. They also had icys. It was like it was in that moment where like nobody knew what nutrition was.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, and they're like yeah, kids like it, yeah yeah, they like frozen sugar.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Dayton, Ohio. Shout out to Centerville Public Schools because they were they were serving us Taco Bell burritos and then Lexington Public School District in Kentucky. We had Chick fil At so wow, had them all? You've had them all.
Speaker 4: All right, Ryan and Jack O'Brien AKA Band Joe Eric Gary Slime Band Joe Eric, Gary Slime. Banjo Eric had a dog bam ba lamb. But Gary's sitting on a log bam b lamb. But whoa that one?
Speaker 1: Courtesy of Halsion Salamo Discord Forring two Hour Too New acronym alter egos acronym Banjo Eric Miles, Gary Slime. I feel like that's accurate that they would be. I I added the last part that Banjo Eric would be walking around with a dog and Gary Slime will be sitting on a lug. They're like kind of you know, they look they those names are giving ride the rails a little bit. Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure, for sure. But yeah, I don't know, I could get behind this, Like I feel like that's a a proud tradition unlike any others in fiction. Is like people having acronym names. Doesn't that happen in like one of the Harry Potter books that I think like he's like going by a different alter ego name or like a ka and then like when you unscramble the letters, it's like, wait a second, it's that guy the whole time, it's the bad guy hints it was and Joe Eric all along the hints. Yeah. I do love that tweet where people are like, all right, we're ready to do nine to eleven tomorrow, but one last thing, the hints the handles. Yes, anyways. The anagram's courtesy of Moniche The Black Betty Ramble am aka courtesy of Halsey on Salad, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Grass.
Speaker 3: It's Miles Gray aka Exit thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Shut the fuck up. Old they eating pets now, Shut the fuck up. Immigrits on the move, Shut the fuck up. You think we're pitches on stools? Shut the fuck up. Want to keep dog whistling? Shut the fuck up, WANTA cabinet position? Shut the fuck up. Soon as I'm VP, Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: The black bags are free, Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: Shout out to halcyon Salad for referencing a very fantastic Jada Kiss track Knock Yourself Out, produced by the Neptunes. For those who don't know, you know, and for the that do, shout out to you. Uh yeah, wonderful Helion Salad doing the exact today backing track, Halseon Salad with the EXACTA box. I think I had to do the backing track or else I had to give people the reference. Otherwise it would just been like a lot of screaming and.
Speaker 1: Shut the fuck up. I wait, why is Miles so mad at me? And why is he whispering to himself? Miles. We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat today by the best selling author of books like John Dies at the End, Zoe Punches, The Future, and The Dick and the new stand alone. I'm starting to worry about this black box of doom available now that shit just dropped yesterday Fresh. It's also one of the hosts of the podcast Big Feats, which, if I'm reading this New Yorker profile correctly, is the only Mountain Monsters podcast officially endorsed by Big Feet. He's my former co worker at Cracked and co creator of the Crack podcast. Welcome back to the show. It's Terras and.
Speaker 5: Pardon and congratulations again on getting renewed for season three hundred and fifty seven. I saw the headline in Variety. Yeah, immediately texted Jack and he was like, who is this?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 5: You don't text each other if you like that.
Speaker 1: We only talk as contact. Jason.
Speaker 5: Yes, say it for the podcast. I'm not doing this for free. You're not just I'm not just giving this out.
Speaker 1: I'm doing this for free.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the freak, Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, it's a it's every week. It's we're we're on a knife's edge every Friday.
Speaker 1: Three fifty seven. Know got our ship the Simpsons. That's the phrase eat our Yeah, eat eat my ship, Bart Simpson. Jason, how are you doing? I imagine, especially because you told me right before we started recording that the day the day is leading up to and immediately after a book launch pretty exhausting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you've got to do a lot of the publicity stuff yourself, because you know, you can't hire somebody to do the interviews for you or to do TikTok videos for you, unless I can find somebody who looks and sounds exactly like me. But if that guy existed, I can think of other uses for him, probably, right, So it's not a real job in my opinion. It's a very stupid job, but also extremely exhausting because if you've ever talked about yourself or something you made over and over and over again, hundreds and hundreds of times, and you're trying to make sure that you don't just start lying at some point or make a thing different what I'm contradicting yourself, or because I'm not so famous that if I said something that it would like offhand that I read at Ama, that it would get pulled out and become a headline. That if I said something stupid enough, it could go viral. I gets I'm in that area where it could become I could become a main character the day if I went far enough off the rails. And you know, Jenk, you've interacted with me for a very long time. Sometimes I just say stuff that isn't true because I think it's funny, but I say it in a very serious way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's gotten me in trouble many times in my life, and it's inevitable that that's going to lead to my downfall. So it's like, I just have to get through this week because once the book's out there, it's out there. They can't you know, they can't stop it. But yeah, I think we did that. I don't think I said anything too controversial, but you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're we're coming through the redditt Ama looking for something that could end you, and so far no luck. But yeah, I mean we all aspire to be famous enough that we you know, just saying the wrong thing can make you make you the put you in the spotlight. Cool quote worthy. By the way, your answer is suspiciously similar to the answer of somebody who has a double like doing this podcast. God, that would be great, huh, but not me could be and someone it.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't be for stuff like this anyway.
Speaker 5: It was Andrew WK. They there's a conspiracy theory that they replaced him with a different dude, like halfway through his career. Have you is anybody familiar with that? No?
Speaker 1: I because I am internet brained. I thought that was true. I thought there were two Andrew Wks.
Speaker 5: It may absolutely be true. I don't know. I was never able to get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, wait, what what do they say is the moment that the WK switched over? You know, is there a thing where they're like, look at him in this album, now, look at him in this album. It's not the same guy or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so there's the online equivalent of that with Drill, right, everybody thinks Drill got replaced by like a bot at some point recently. I'm trying to find the Andrew WK story.
Speaker 5: Because the guy, the original guy, is very was always very cryptic about the answer City gave when they asked him. He would always be like, well, Andrew w WK was never a person. It was always a multimedia experiment, explanation of an exploration of a persona blah blah blah, and so they kind of fed into it. But I actually never found the answer.
Speaker 1: Of yeah, I can't find it. I don't know why I thought that was true.
Speaker 3: I've I've met him a few times. Like when I worked at Playboy. We made a video that we created a fake third political party for him called the Party Party that like I helped make him, Like we created a website and stuff, so like we texted for a little bit that.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's very real.
Speaker 3: And that guy also would use like a rite aid plastic bag is like his briefcase. Like he'd come to the offices and he's like, let me empty, Like you have this like plastic shopping bag and like his phone in it and keys and like a notebook. And I was always like, this guy is very interesting. But yeah, I never heard that he had been swapped out ever. But now I'm gonna have to look into that a little bit.
Speaker 5: Listeners, there's a rabbit hole you can follow down. There used to be a website dedicated entirely to this to track, you know, all the evidence back when websites existed. I maybe there's an app now or a YouTube video that does the same thing, but it was, it was a thing at one time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The WK stands for who knows, you know, could be true? We can't can't be confirmed or denied at this point, Jason, we are going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners to a couple of things we're talking about. We're going to talk about new details the Bipartisan report on the first assassination attempt that happened on July thirteenth, a mirror that's two months ago, a little over two months ago. That seems like a lifetime ago. They released the Bipartisan report, and the only suspicious thing is just like the Secret Service, like bad at their job, which seemed to be the read from the start. Yeah, it's like a carnival of errors, I think, is what the report was titled. We're going to talk about the death penalty, a thing that Democrats used to be against for very good reasons, no longer on the party platform for some reason. So we'll talk about that. We'll talk about the price of eggs. We might even talk about James Cameron joining an AI company's board of directors, which you know he's like, actually, guys, nothing to fear here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so remember Miles Dyson, all that plenty more.
Speaker 1: But first, Jason, we like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 5: Hawk to a podcast? Real? Right? So I had seen a whole bunch of memes on Twitter where people were photoshopping the hawk to a girl onto a set discussing some extremely academic subject in a podcast, and I thought, oh, okay, they're calling her dumb whatever, and then saw a headline that the Hawk to a podcast called talk to a Uh huh. It was the number the number four podcasts in the United States. It's like, oh, hold on, so the podcast part is real. It's just that the memes you're making are fake, and if so, what's the show about? So I had to search and because I will admit I cannot tell the difference between things people are just joking about and things that actually happened. But yeah, apparently successful podcast on I guess Jake Paul's work. And you've probably covered all this. I was out of the loop.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I mean we've covered it in a sense that we were, you know, really we were in a bidding war with Jake Paul trying to bring this podcast onto our network. I think we did, say, like the week before it was announced that she had a podcast, who were like, man, someone needs to give her a podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in there it is.
Speaker 1: Because she, I mean, does seem to be a delight.
Speaker 3: I know, Jason, you were seeing memes of it, like the fake podcast, but then people were doing like memes or comedy videos about the real talk to a thing. It's like it was like all these bros getting together like watching it on a big screen and be like, yeah, it's like every single quip or funny line. And I was like, okay, so now people are like kind of leaning ironically into it and be like it's the fucking sickest show.
Speaker 1: I have not seen it. When I saw that this was your search history, I assumed that it was they were trying to book you onto the Hawk Tua podcast Talk to to talk about your new rank. She's she's a fan of novels and literature, so obviously it makes sense. Is the story that there was one point where they said that Donald Trump canceled his appearance on the Hawk Tua podcast. Was that real or was that like a fake story? I think it was right immediately after the second assassination attempted Florida. One of the headlines that came off of that in the days immediately after, where Trump cancels appearance on Talk to Her if you put.
Speaker 5: A gun to my head. I could not tell you whether or not that was true.
Speaker 1: Or the Express seems to be, oh the Express to the Express Tribune, Well yeah, then of course, I mean that seems weird. I mean, that's like a weird I mean, like public use.
Speaker 3: She she's she wasn't really speaking like fondly of Trump, So I don't know where that would have happened.
Speaker 1: But that was just like a fun thing for a little while for people to do is have Trump on your podcast, right, yeah, had him on and just told him about cocaine. So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And this Hawk too, Yeah, that just seems like such a terrible pairing, like the Hawk to a girl and Donald Trump and whatever. Like letting him just talk freely in that context I feel like would lead to I don't know what it would lead to led to, but maybe it would help him, who.
Speaker 5: Knows, I'm gonna say right now. Again, I don't know if you discussed it when I came up. His appearance on that THEO Vonn podcast that ironically fascinating because Deal starts talking about doing cocaine and Donald Trump starts asking him a bunch of probing questions and his first time I'd seen him be like honestly interested in someone else in their experiences. Yeah, and he's just being he wasn't playing the character of Donald Trump that he's been playing on TV for the last whatever fifty years and just asking because he's genuinely because Trump Trump, you know, famously does not drink or doesn't do drugs, I guess, And it was just famously like fascinated by like what's the mike and so you know, so so like what are you? And there's THEO like, well, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, homie, Uh yeah, and uh being an l out there man on your real street front port like goddam be so heartbreaking for Donald Trump Junior because you could have asked your own child about you know what I mean and said, you're really interested in THEO Vaughn's recap of doing that.
Speaker 3: I'm flying out here right here, dad, you can ask me about being an owl or a street land.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he's like, I've been hearing about this cocaine a lot lately. Not should I do it? Anyone close to me? If your dad did it, would you think he was cool?
Speaker 5: What? No? Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That That is one of the great things that podcasting has brought us, as that conversation. Unfortunately, Jason, what is something do you think? Is overrated?
Speaker 5: I think all of the panic about like fake news generated by AI and it was deep fakes for a while, and all of that too, like generating a completely fake story from whole cloth, is not and has never been the real threat. I think the way that the news media manipulates you will always be based on what stories they choose to cover and not cover. Like all of the news Autts choosing not to publish those hacked Trump emails and side they're gonna sit on that. But like the thing that you guys you referenced about the story with the Haitian immigrants eating the pets, the reason that fake story worked is because Fox News had been laying the groundwork for years by just cherry picking actual crimes. Because in a country of three hundred million people, you can find a trend, whatever trend you want. So anytime an illegal immigrant ran a stoplight, Fox News ran that as a headline and creates by just carefully sorting through. Again, you know, if a report comes out that says, well, actually, you know, native born people are more likely to commit crimes and immigrants, you simply you simply don't report it. Yeah, And likewise, like this thing with the you know, the governor North Carolina and that guy Mark Rappinsons his name with all that crazy, like Fox News devoted like seven minutes to that yesterday, Like they simply just bury it and in their broadcast. That will always be the way by which people get into bubbles and get programmed. It's not, but it does not require the fake new stuff will be a problem. It doesn't require a hoax. Just filtering what you report and choose not to report will always, by far be the most powerful thing, because for the most part, you're sticking to things that are real. It's just that they're not representative of what's going on, but you can absolutely create the impression.
Speaker 1: That they are. Yeah, just a wild selection bias has always been the way that the US media tends to operate because it's a big country and they know what stories they can get a lot of eyeballs on because they're scary and reinforced preconceived fears and beliefs.
Speaker 3: And probably the easiest way to manufacture consent too, it is just by being like, and what if we just tell people about this all the time, and now when the decision comes to do something awful, you're like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. Like they So they're just not publishing the Trump emails because the.
Speaker 3: Political The Washington Post, I think Judd Lugum, also at Popular Information, said he was offered these documents, and he said because he was involved in the Podesta emails, and he just doesn't think that anything in the emails are necessarily of note. Outside of just showing like a shitty campaign that was like his logic. But then it's also like, well, what's the logic of these other papers because they were more than willing to publish the emails in the last like in the twenty sixteen cycle. But it's yeah, it's just kind of like, well, what what exactly like tell us what the logic is of it? Yeah, but yeah, that's that's sort of like where I feel like that story is kind of out at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were talking about this a little bit last week with regards to there was a Russian created fake media like fake a local news story about Kamala Harris like running someone over in her car and then like driving away in San Francisco, and like people were just you know, you could see that it was a fake news site that doesn't actually exist. They created the URL two days before. It wasn't overly convincing, and it didn't seem to like get that much media attention other than the debunking of it got a lot of attention. Whereas you know, just Elon Musk having as many followers in as much sway as he has just tweeting any dumb bullshit absent mindedly is pretty I think, more influential than I want to believe.
Speaker 3: It is also well yeah, now, especially with the block function being like, ah, even if you block me, you're still going to see my bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that the thing with Hillary's emails in twenty sixteen, I think that is the perfect example of what I'm talking about here, because that was the case where I think if you interviewed one thousand people both sides, and said, can you summarize what was scandalous about her emails the whole but her emails them, which became the number one story that entire campaign because those were released in a drip feed where it's like a new revelation every day, Can you summarize what the deal was with those emails and why that should be a deciding factor in who you vote for. I think not five people in a thousand could accurately explain. But when The New York Times has Hillary clinton emails as the a one story every day, Hillary Clint't email scandal, by putting it at the top of the front page, you are saying that it's important. You are saying that it's huge and impactful and this must be a terrible crime that's been Like, this must be disqualifying. So even if you watching it don't fully understand what's bad about it or what it means or whatever, it doesn't matter because giving it that place on the front page indicates that it matters, and it's a negative story. So he's saying, Hey, all the other stuff in this selection not important. This email server, your personal email server. Security candidates using personal email for like, that's what matters. That's the thing that's at stake in this election. And they set the agenda that way. Again, the stuff they were reporting wasn't fake, it's just the amount of spotlight they chose to give to it as opposed to anything else that created the impression that it is I think as false as any something that was you know, that had been gend up out of whole cloth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think, yeah. It gave a look into like sort of what was going on in the DNC.
Speaker 1: But then people like.
Speaker 3: John Podesta called a guy a prick and this is his risotto recipe and what. But they're at the same time, like, you know, Colin Powell also had a private email server. A lot of people like what it, what's the emphasis about But yeah, now it's just very.
Speaker 1: Much like it's not in the public interest Jason. What's something you think is underrated.
Speaker 5: The degree to which the most important stuff And this election probably has not happened yet twenty sixteen, the thing with Hillary's emails that wasn't until October Trump's remember the Access Hollywood tape grabbing by the Pussy tape that didn't come out until October seventh. The James Comu letter that we thought that that probably did throw the election to Trump, that wasn't until October twenty eighth. So in an election just close where it's going to be swayed by like ten thousand people, it's probably going to it'll be determined by something that happens between now and November fifth. There's something probably in the month of October. That's when most people actually finally start paying attention, and there will be some story, some event, something's going to happen that will probably tilt things one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's the October surprise of it all. And we're not even in October, so we'll see what. Yeah, this cycle breaks, and I'm sure for people who are like the ones trying to peddle as much like wacky misinformation or whatever. They're probably sitting on like their most potent you know, weapons. And yeah, like you're saying close, much closer to the election, because that's really when Yeah, like it has the most impact on people's at least perception of what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an official like what was saying last week that like the final forty eight hours before the election are going to be absolute chaos on social media, right, But yeah, that's really upsetting that the Access Hollywood tape wasn't until October seventh, Like that that was one where it was like a bombshell that people like got over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a thing where people in the wake it was like, oh my gosh, she's gonna have to drop out done because they still didn't understand how impervious, Like he didn't lose a single vote from that, Like they didn't. And this is why if I had to put money on this election, I would bet on Trump because Kamala Harris can be heard by a scandal. Trump is impervious to scandal. Yeah, there is no headline that I can imagine they would actually steer people away from Trump. He's just he's been like, what would it even be about? Nothing about sex, that stuff's already out there, nothing about racism, nothing about financial wrongdoing. All of that stuff he's already some of which he's been charged with in court and found guilty. So it's like, what could come out that hasn't already come out. It just feels like he has an immunity that he's built up, and that seems to be his superpower, because it's true that his support seems to top out like forty seven percent or whatever in polls, but nothing pushes it down. Nothing. Yeah, So it just feels like such a double standard where only one candidate is vulnerable to some bad story that they will come out with something a week for the election or two days before, and it seems like only one candidate is vulnerable to that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think we've joked, we're like, what could even be the thing that his own support is like, oh, well, that's a bridge too far, Like it's like, would it even be something like a super progressive policy see or something like that, or then even then they're like no, actually no, I'm actually for that. Actually I think climate change is really important and we should we should stop fracking.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh fuck, like what is it? But it's definitely been rumors that he's on tape like calling his supporters like, you know, horrible things and being very derisive towards his own supporters they love. I don't think that would. I don't think that would do it at all. Like that's the closest I think even if it was.
Speaker 3: It's like and Donald Trump has been Hillary Clinton all along, people are like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, man, I don't know even if she's yeah.
Speaker 1: The yeah, if he literally was on tape being like they are a basket of deplorables, I think they're discussed like it would be the tape, like if there was the tape that would undo the politician in the movie about a corrupt politician. Whereas they're just like I hate them all and I'm gonna kill them when I get into office. We're gonna like take all their money away, and like that probably wouldn't do it. Like they just find a way to justify.
Speaker 3: It well because they're like, well he's still he's still going to bring the pain, right, yeah, yeah, they're like ringing the pain.
Speaker 1: Then we're that why can stomach anything. Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some news, and we're back. We're and the Senate has released their bipartisan report on what happened at the July thirteenth Trump rally in Butler, And yeah, it seems to be basically what we thought at the time that like, the most noteworthy thing is the incompetence of the Secret Service to kind of do their job.
Speaker 3: And just like law enforcement, communicating seemed to be the big thing that they Again, the main findings were Secret Service failed to sufficiently coordinate with state and local law enforcement, failed to adequately cover the building where Trump's attempted assassin fired from, failed to address line of sight concerns, denied requests for additional resources, and failed to pass on to other law law enforcement that there was a there was quote credible intelligence of a threat. And they also noted in the report that the Secret Service denied responsibility or tried to deflect blame when pressed about their individual roles. So like again, so it sounds like the biggest errors were there just weren't enough people available to secure all the buildings that could have posed a potential threat. And then sniper teams didn't tell Trump's details specifically to get him off the stage when they had identified a potential threat, like minutes had passed where they're like, like, I think they're like, yeah, normally you would have just told him, yo, get this guy off the stage, Like we have police officers rushing a building, like with their guns drawn to something, so that would immediately be like, okay, pull the lug on this.
Speaker 1: But that was not the case. You see them like in the in that video draw down on the sniper like and you know, starting to get serious as he's like continuing to deliver his I guess you could call it a stumps whatever his remark remarks. So yeah, that was always the weirdest thing about their response was that they just didn't They weren't like, hey, we have a snight, you know, they didn't communicate the out loud.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And obviously also the weirdest thing is the water the guy who was on the water tower who was clearly fired yeah from two miles away, or how the person who fired a shot. The conspiracy theory that this was all staged one of one of them involves a guy on a water tower two miles away who fired the shot that grazed Trump's ear, So just an a supernatural marksmanship being relied on to graze his ear so that he wouldn't act actually be hurt. But yeah, yeah, where's the report on that?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the House. The House is doing their their version of investigation too. Since that's a Republican controlled body, I'm sure you might get a slightly spicier take on what is happening. But yeah, overall, it sounds like a big, big boo boo, big failure since the Reagan assassination attempt.
Speaker 5: Here's a good life lesson in this for any of you young people out there, because you're going to find this happen in your own life. You can have a system in place that is deeply broken or neglected, and it can take a long time to notice it because the thing that it's predesigned to prevent just hasn't happened. For example, whenever there's an earthquake, a whole lot of buildings will fall over that it turns out we're not up to code, because it turns out you build a building and all the anti earthquakes stuff you're supposed to do if you bribe an inspector. It's fine because it may be fifty years before an earthquake happens. The whole time that building looks fine. This is very similar to that. It seems like their processes, they're staffing, their training, everything had been degrading. They'd been kind of half asking it. But it you just don't know, because there aren't that many serious assassination attempts. There's lots of nut jobs, like some idiot with a flare gun tried to climb the fence at the White House and the President wasn't even there, but where somebody planned it, found a spot, was good with the weapon, knew we you know, studied where to go, how to get up there undetected. That's rare. And when someone finally tries it, they find a process that is broken, the process of that whole perimeter they're supposed to clear and cooperating with the local cops to clear that perimeter, to communicate about the spons and where somebody needed to be all that that process was. And you will find in your business or in your marriage or anything, stuff that looks fine for years until the bad thing happens and you realize how unprepared you were this is this was almost a and it's funny enough because we're like doing this report and it's you know, page three news. It's like, okay, we're in some alternate universe where this man's head exploded in four K in front of the world. That there would be you know, like we would know the names of these Secret Service agents like we would all they would be household names of which guy allowed this failure, which person failed to you know, report the guy on the roof and so on. And instead of just like yeahs and yeah they could we could have done better, guys, we kind of fumbled it, kind of biffed it there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The I mean the two things that earthquake prevention and like checking every possible threat and eye line have in common is they're both so annoying to do and it probably won't even happen, So like, what is your fucking deal? So you have that, you have that dynamic combined with I feel like anytime the Secret Service is involved in a action movie, like they're pretty locked up. Like even when the plot is like this is the guy who allowed JFK to be assassinated like in the Line of Fire, it's still like he is Clint Eastwood, and he's like a super heroic like badass who that they ultimately saved the president this time around. And I feel like it, don't they like White House Down and like those movies? Isn't their Secret Service involved in those? I feel like just generally, yeah, I feel like the branding being done for the Secret Service is pretty strong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the most rather than like sex worker scandals like when during Obama's presidency and shit like that, Like these guys sound like a bunch of frat guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, no, no, no, no, they're Gerard Butler. They're Gerard Butler. Yeah. Like so they described this as the biggest Secret Service failure since the Reagan assassination attempt, but like even the Reagan assassination attempt, I the thing I remember is like a guy standing there with like a tiny Uzi in his hand, looking bad ass, like being a Milwaukie talkie, you know, and like, yeah, he got shot though, he got shot, and then the other guy who got the guy who got shot in paralyzed who Brady right that who they named laws after. And I did not, truly did not know the Reagan assassination attempt was seen as a secret service failure.
Speaker 5: Totally forgotten, like we don't remember it that way, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a fucking little uzzi, like a cute uzy. That's unbelievable. It's unbelievable that they gave them that too, especially man, Yeah, especially when you know what happened with JFK, What actually happened with JFK. Tell him, tell him Jack. I can't do it, Miles. We have other stories to get to. All right, I think that's another podcast accidentally delivered the kill shot. All right, let's talk about the death penalty. Yeah, because so yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an arcane feature of our car sol system that should be done away with.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: The reason I think it's important to talk about because on Tuesday Marcellus Williams was put to death in Missouri. And he's a man that even prosecutors thought was innocent of a nineteen ninety eight murder. Williams and his lawyers had been in like a long fight to clear his name and to prevent him from being put to death by the state for the murder of woman Felicia Gale. They had previously been granted stays twice due to the murky nature of the conviction, and like, despite mishandling of evidence, reliance on like jailhouse snitch testimony, a racist jury selection process, and a total lack of DNA evidence that tying him to the crime scene whatsoever, Governor Mike Parson let the execution go forward. The NAACP has described it as a lynching, and you know, the death penalty is again I think this is why it's important to look at it in a like a sort of larger context in terms of like policy, right, because it's not only just a waste of resources, but it's also a glaring example of how our carcial system disproportionately again affects people of color. You look at, you know, the death row population is forty one percent black, even though black people make up about thirteen percent of the US population. You look at just even how you know, like when victims are white and the accused is a person of color, like the people like seeking the death penalty goes up exponentially. But if you like have a victim that is a person of color, and even if the perpetrator or the accused is white, the figures are much less in favor of the death penalty. So there's like example after example and study after study just shows like the inherent racism that the system is built on. And I think this example in Missouri is just another you know, it just encapsulates how black men are viewed by our you know, quote unquote justice system. Because the victim's family even wanted, will you life to be spared? You know, they're like, we like, for us closure would be for his life to be spared. And they're like we would love to have his sentence commuted or whatever, just please like spare his life. But the governor of Missouri, Parson, he just has a really terrible track record when it comes to clemency and that he has never granted it when it comes to the death penalty, like he wouldn't even like not even people were in death row, Like he wouldn't even pardon people that were proven innocent. And there was even someone actually who they found who was guilty of the crime, literally serving a sentence for that crime. He wouldn't even pardon those people and they were black. But you know, you know where this is going. You know who he does give pardons to a white cop who murdered a black man in twenty nineteen and one of our favorite characters from the summer of twenty twenty, the mccloskey's like the white couple on the log with the guns who pulled guns on like those protesters outside of their house, and the woman who was just very loosely holding up pistol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they they received part like a like a fifth glass of Chardonay, just like loosely in her hand.
Speaker 3: Just arrating it. Yeah, just got it, just to let it breathe a little bit. I gotta let this thing breathe. So, I mean, oddly enough, then this is why this sort of relates to the election too, is the death penalty was another one of those planks of the Democrats platform that just went poof this year. Like in twenty sixteen, the platform said we will abolish the death penalty, which has proven to be a cruel and unusual form of punishment.
Speaker 1: And you're like, what the fuck happened?
Speaker 3: Like Joe Biden even ran on being against the death penalty in twenty twenty, but now it's completely different. And Kamala Harris, to her credit, actually is a decent track record on this too, Like as Da, She's like, I will not seek the death penalty, and she didn't. Her twenty nineteen campaign website said, quote, Kamala believes the death penalty is immoral, discriminatory, ineffective, and a gross misuse of taxpayer taxpayer dollars. So like, recently journalists reached out to the campaign and asked about their like their her specific stance and the death penalty. They got no response at all, And it's just like, what, like, you know, yeah again, Joe Biden ran didn't seem risky for Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: He won in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: I mean it was close, but was was it down to the pro death penalty vote that.
Speaker 1: Would have swayed things?
Speaker 3: And I think that's just kind of like another odd thing, an example of like shifting to this like courting a voter that I'm I'm like, who is this voter you're trying to court by like removing this plank of the Democratic platform because again.
Speaker 1: Your positions, like that changing your positions doesn't help you, even though I like, I get the logic, it's been the logic of the mainstream Democratic Party since the Clintons, but it doesn't work because it makes it seem like you don't have the courage of your convictions or any like any strong beliefs like which seems to be what people respond to. They want to have a sense of like who you are on these things.
Speaker 5: But I was really curious about this because I had looked up I wanted to see if the death penalty had gotten more popular or why they would go away from being anti. And it's really interesting because back as recently as the mid nineties, the death penalty on. They have like Gallup polls in this In nineteen ninety four, eighty percent of Americans were in favor of the death penalty. That was like at the apex of the crime, the nineties crime epidemic and the crack epidemic and all of that stuff. And it has been slowly declining ever since the point now it's like fifty three to forty four, fifty three in favor forty four percent against. The death penalty is less popular now than pretty much at any point in history in terms. So and we don't you know, there's like camp the states still have the death penalty, but a lot of those that do have gone into a moratorium. They haven't executed anybody in decades. Nationwide, we executed twenty four people last year, which is a lot if you think in terms of the state killing people, but in terms of the total number of people we have like in prison and on death row, it's not that many. We don't like to do it very often. The federal government hadn't executed anybody in almost two decades prior to Trump becoming president, and then they turned that back on. But I don't know, it's interesting because it feels like one of those things that has just been kind of fading from the system anyway. So to now be afraid of coming out as being anti death penalty when this seems like the safest time to do it, I don't know that I get.
Speaker 3: It well, especially on the back of this story, Like you can be like this is why we need to rethink this, like we're just putting people to death, or even the prosecution is like I have we got serious doubts about this conviction honestly, like that that we're still moving forward with this, And you know, Hillary good Friend and Jacobin like raised the point in terms of how Democrats this was specific to immigration, how like they are now sounding pretty similar to Republicans, Like if you look at the ads that the Harris campaign is taking out in like Arizona at there sort of she's like she was a border state DA and she knows how to be tough on the border and like illegal immigration, and it's basically just echoing very similar rhetoric in terms of like the we have to secure the border from immigrants rhetoric that comes out of Republicans, and like she's sort of positive. She's like, if voters are attracted by like a candidate like that stands for the corolest punishments, Like why why would they settle for second best? Especially when you have Trump who's like, I'm going to expand the death penalty to fucking haters and drug deal like anybody. And it's just like what I'm I'm just fail again to understand, like this, it's it's fine, why remove that? Just just keep You're like, to Jason's point, their support for this is dwindling, and I get that it's a small majority, but this doesn't seem like the kind of issue voter. They're like, we gotta really be careful with the death penalty. And I get why they would be with like things like fracking or whatever that's more top of mind, but the death penalty just seems like such an odd thing to just sort of just ignore now, given again that we're seeing this is something that affects the community that Takamma.
Speaker 1: Herself is like a part of.
Speaker 3: So I feel like this should be an afterthought to be like yeah, man, and fuck the death penalty too, Like that's it is what it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's because of that, Like I think they would say, like they're playing defense against like Willie Horton shit, and like a good portion of the voting population is racist and she's a woman of color and they need to like counterbalance that and like do this like you know, strategic triangulation so that she is like protected against attacks on that. But it's just it takes the humanity out of it. It's not an effective way to run a campaign. And we've seen that year after year with the Democratic Party.
Speaker 5: And while I've seen people tons of people run being tough on crime, I can't remember anybody running specifically on more death penalty. The death penalty is great, Like it doesn't the pro death penalty side doesn't have like an anti abortion like an equivalent of that movement where there's like a death penalty voter other than you have tons of anti death penalty voters. But in terms of there being like pro I don't know. I don't see people taking to the streets like demanding this guy being killed despite you know, everything about the case being shaky. I don't know. I don't get it. But also a side note, if you're a fan of true crime and you read a lot or listen to a lot of podcasts about famous murder cases, so many trials are just like this, right, yeah, where the only testimony is from somebody who got their own sentence reduced, where the DNA stuff is like kind of shaky and it looked like it's actually kind of matched somebody who wasn't there and actually his wasn't technically at the scene, and the one person who thought they saw him at the scene their testimony actually contradicted. That is common. Yeah, and you see something like we group people like my age grew up with the OJ case back in the nineties and watched when you actually have high class lawyers who can pick through every little bit of the house of cards of evidence and to a jury can make it look like, yeah, this is a bunch of circumstantial crap. They've cobbled together. Nobody saw them there. We don't have a murder weapon, you don't have a direct witness. Now the rest of it's all questionable. It's like, hey, that's every case. It is so rare that they've got a guy on camera doing it or whatever, and so they piece together a case. I'm sure they get it right most of the time because a lot of times it is obvious, you know, husband kills his wife. Whatever, there's not you're gonna claim that, like, no, actually a serial killer broke in and then left no traces behind. But in still many cases like this, they've pieced together what looks like a strong case, but you start pulling at any of the individual thread it's so shaky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean like whenever we've had you know, like public defenders on as guests too, that we always are reminded of how like, you know, when the prosecutors they think they have someone or the cops think they have someone, like they just got to go all in on it. Or other times, just like in the process of interrogating people, it's like wear them the fuck down until they kind of break and admit maybe they had something to do with it. And at least we can run with that. But yeah, again, it's like it's just odd. It feels like low hanging fruit or just the very least something that wasn't controversial. But I think because everything needs to be, No, this person isn't a liberal, even though they're running as a Democrat, like they're actually tough on crime in the border. You just get this like weird dissonance that I think for even like like longtime Democratic voters like wait, what the what what what is this the Republican Party or what the fuck is going on? But again, this this is clearly the strategy for that campaign to try and figure out how do we pick off the most people in the middle to try and deny M a win. And I mean, the polling is it's it's it seems very close. But we again, we will see where that goes. But I just don't it's just a really weird thing to sort of like shy away from. It doesn't seem like I get why you'd probably be like I don't know about universal healthcare because they're gonna say I'm a socialist or whatever. But the death penalty is like again but just it's it's fucking stupid. And we don't need it anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't appreciate you disparaging the al theory from the staircase, but I agree with everything else he said. Let's take a quick break, we'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, And James Cameron just made headlines. And this time it's not for announcing like the fourteenth Avatar film. This time he is joining the board equally dispiriting, he's joining the board of directors for Stability AI. By the way, I enjoyed both Avatar movies. I don't know why I turned into Trump there, but I wish and I think he is making a different film that I'll look up what the other film is. But this is just a bummer because you know, he's always been at the forefront of special effects. And the board that he's joining is the AI firm that developed the Stable Diffusion Text to Image generative AI model, which is where like a image and video focused model that I think creates like some of the wild like this is AI videos that look like an acid trip, like that you put a camera on someone's brain during an acid trip. What's the what does he gain from this exactly?
Speaker 3: I mean, like I know, he's always into like technology in terms of filmmaking like that. He always prides himself being on the cutting edge of stuff like that. But like with this, is he of the cool version, like he'll bring it down from the inside.
Speaker 1: But he's always been more acutely aware of anyone of the dangers of artificial intelligence.
Speaker 3: So right, yeah, exactly, i'man like a cautionary tale. All gave us a terminator.
Speaker 1: But maybe if we take a new look at that movie and it's secretly like, oh I want I want a robot that would be so sick, is like the thesis of that movie.
Speaker 5: His quote here is saying that the intersection of generative AI and CGI image creation maybe the next wave. That means the ability to effects with that having to pay people to do the effects.
Speaker 1: Oh he likes money, Okay.
Speaker 5: So it will be phrased as to make the process more efficient, right whatever, So you can just have a server room and a piece of software that instead of because I remember back in Titanic that was nineteen ninety seven, the movie came out, you know, shot ninety five ninety six. When they were doing all those effects, that stuff was rendered frame by frame, like those water droplets that were coming off the hull of the boat, that was all cgi and that was a person painting those in So I do not doubt that when you know the budget of that film, a lot of that went to artist, talented artists spending many thousands of hours doing work by hand to make it look just right, because it was hard to beat the human eye when it comes to making something like that look good. But if that was just a piece of software that you could tell it make water run off the side of this thing, and then it runs overnight and then boom, there you go, and you did not have to pay a single person, I don't know. I guess like that's how all automation works. But to have a creative person want to bring that to the creative world, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're great when you make millions of dollars, I guess that's just what will happen to you, you know, like we're just sort of like I can imagine too, is like how much is it gonna cost? All I want is the fucking guy to fall off the boat, hit the big propeller blade and then flop.
Speaker 5: Into the fucking water.
Speaker 1: What fifty thousand dollars just for that. Now fuck this. And then this is where like I'll drop a fucking guy off of the drop a guy off the Titanic shot is the practical set still up?
Speaker 3: Do we still have the setup in Mexico? Fuck it, dude, I'll do it. Just fucking drop. I'll fucking get the propeller blade. Man, I don't want to fucking pay that. Yeah, man, yeah, well I need this shit, so yeah, I mean, it's just it's a again, like to your point, like Jason's, like when someone who values creativity and it has like always talked about his own love of imagination and like always exploring all the ways that you can express like your ideas in cinema to then be like, yeah, but that other person who's integral to that and me even getting to where I am totally fuck that person completely because it's too expensive, and like that's just not just just it's just too.
Speaker 1: Much, man, it's just slow shit down. Well, the company is not currently building liquid metal killing machines. It is being sued for copyright infringement and just laid off a bunch of staff members, so they're already doing the work that they will probably be helping James Cameron do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And because to be clear, the way this thing will make special effects is you will have it scan a bunch of existing movies, including effects humans created, and it will say, oh, I know how to do that. Now you need like a spaceship flying up out of water. You eat all those water droplets like some person did by hand when whatever movie came out fifteen years ago. Well, guess what I've got that in the database. Could you imagine scanned that movie right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And like movies just start looking like sampled music tracks and stuff where you're like, bro, I'm pretty sure that's the wave from the Perfect Storm in this movie, Like what the fuck? And like, yeah, do you see that guy fall off the boat? I think that was the propeller guy from Titanic. They just recontextualize it for this film.
Speaker 5: It's just there, like the will just extreme. Yes, Like that's the explosion. Look, they used it. They used the explosion from Armygeddon.
Speaker 1: They it's a guy, but they have to like change things so like it's a guy running down the street, but they're using the guy falling off the Titanic and they're like and then he hits this thing and starts spinning for something different plane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a different gravitational plane. Full You're like, is that physically possible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's being blown down the street. It was a big wind. They just have like a voiceover, guy coming, Can I Can.
Speaker 5: I ask you guys a question because you you are obviously covering the news every single day, You've probably done many stories about AI and stuff like that. Yeah, why is it that in the cultural imagination? Why is it then the headlines all of the examples of AI, it's all this nonsense. It's it can create a very bad photograph with too many fingers. It can create a very trippy video that has the worst uncanny valley thing you've ever seen in your life. We think that maybe someday it will make movies for you, So that why is it all the one thing none of us want AI to do instead of Hey, we think in the future, it can diagnose cancer faster than a doctor, can't. We think in the future, it can you know, help genetically engineer crops. It can survive drought and climate change. Like, why is there like an image issue or a marketing issue on the side of these AI people, or is that really where they're putting their money right now, Like, is all the work actually going into all of this media stuff instead of like it's solving people's everyday problems that would get them excited about it.
Speaker 3: I think all this stuff is kind of part of like this this sort of circus aspect of it that keeps people like interested on a general level and be like, oh, whoa, it does this. It does that because it like for the people that they're really trying to appeal to, like on Wall Street, it's probably easier for them to connect the dots rather than like, oh, it can do really complex computations that could maybe like make cause breakthroughs for science. It's like, hey men, articles can be written quicker without people, or it can make a little video for your advertising company. But then I think what they're also showing is like it's they're like how it's getting better, And that's also part of the process. Like, look, do you remember when Will Smith was eating spaghetti all weird, like a couple months ago. Now Will Smith eats spaghetti even like a little less weird.
Speaker 1: So it's getting better, y'all. And who knows where this who knows what Will.
Speaker 3: Smith can do in the next iteration of this and people like, oh shit, yeah, yeah, it's getting better and better and better, while at the same time, like people on Wall Street, I'm like, dude, this it's all this stuff is horseshit, Like it's not even close to doing the kinds of things that they wanted to freak people out about with. It's just sort of becoming an energy drain and something that isn't actually creating any kind of financial return. So it's just I think, just all like spectacle at this point to try and you know, cover for the fact that it's it's not really doing like the sky neet kind of shit.
Speaker 1: Sam Altman wants you to think of it, Yeah, it can answer the question how many rs are in strawberry, and so instead they're putting a very sexy, exciting possibility on the horizon of like what it could be doing, which, again, yeah, to your point, nobody wants it to do that. It can do those scientific things. It does feel like that should be where they're focusing. Like the thing about figuring out the structure of proteins, like years before we would have been able to do that with just humans is really cool and like feels like they should just focus on that, but I think that idea is a little abstract. And then I also think because of the way money is spent in the entertainment industry, you can have not very much and get a lot of people to spend a lot of money, like based, you know, so they can just promise great things while actually having absolute bullshit and trick a lot of people. It's if you google how many ares in the word strawberry? Right now, it's still coming back. The word strawberry has two rs. It's did search over you, like even right now, it's still doing it. But then it's like, however, AI models can sometimes make mistakes when answering the question about this word, and then like makes an excuse and you like, then the fuck, dude, you can't count three rs in a word?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, because it's not it's not thinking. People keep assuming that it is thinking. It's not. It's just predicting the next string of text. It's it's this is what I've never gotten. I realized that I am a ludite here when it comes to AI. But an ai has never lived in the world, So when an AI is trying to describe something to you, it has never experienced that thing. It's grabbing some text that doesn't mean anything to it and just stringing it together and maybe it will be it will form a coherence since maybe it won't. But it's you know, you can an AI can go find you a recipe for cornbread, because there's a million recipes for cornbread on the internet. They can go grab you one. It has never eaten corn bread. It cannot It cannot tell you how to improve your corn bread recipe because it has no concept of what that should taste like, or it's never touched it. It's I don't know. I get such a disconnect from people. It's like, well, someday, you know, you'll have an AI friend that can if your lonely can talk to It's like yeah, but it's you won't be able to talk to it about anything because it has never lived a life. If it's joking with you, it's just grabbing a joke it found in its database that somebody else told somewhere on the internet and it just stole it. But it can't it can't observe something about the world because it doesn't live in the world. So you're not having You're just talking to your yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we we have talked about this so frequently that our listeners are like, yeah, no, we guys, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 5: I do not listen to the show. Guys, Yeah I didn't know.
Speaker 1: That, and that is unacceptable. But we'll talk about that off Mike. But yeah, I mean we've just so if people, well haven't heard those episodes we've had, like people who aren't experts in AI come on and say the same thing that Jason was just saying, like, these are the same basic idea as the autocomplete in your phone. Just predicting the next word, that's all it's doing. It's just doing it at a higher level that requires the.
Speaker 5: Burning of lots of fossil fuels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, and it's just it's it's spectacle that will hopefully inspire increased investment. And that's really what it's all boiling down to at the moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, Amazon named one of their companies of the mechanical turk, like they're they know their fucking well, they know their fucking well. It's a fucking guy inside. There's a guy in there, dumb dumbs, it's not fucking real. Jason Pargen as always, what a pleasure having you where can people find you?
Speaker 5: Follow you?
Speaker 1: Uh, and also read your new book.
Speaker 5: The book is called I'm Starting to worry about this Black Box of Doom. It is not political, but it is relevant. And this about a bunch of people on the Internet who'd think that they have gotten one of a domestic terror attack and they're going to try to stop it. But it is a bunch of strangers on the Internet with Internet poisoned brained uh, Internet poisoned brains, and it goes just as badly as you would expect. So yeah, that book is available now in all formats, including audio. I do not read the audiobook. They hired a professional to do that.
Speaker 1: And it isn't me for some reason. It's a very good read. Everybody shoul check it out. Is there a work of media, Jason that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 5: I've got a tweet that I like. That's from Twitter user PJ Evans says, Paul Thomas Anderson. Sounds like something your mom says to you when you're acting up. Paul Thomas Anderson.
Speaker 1: Getting here right now. Mom. That's not even my name. I don't give it.
Speaker 5: Richard, would you do?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 5: Still?
Speaker 1: Do that?
Speaker 5: Use your middle name when they're mad. I don't know if that's a reference, that's an old time you reference it.
Speaker 1: My parents definitely did it, okay, but I can't speak to whether parents do it anymore because I'm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think culturally specific to to do the three name call out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. They suddenly start treating you like an assassin.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Like my mom would just be like buck ah yeah, stupid in Japanese.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh yea, yeah, what John Christopher O'Brien, what I knew I was. I was in some ship.
Speaker 3: When I heard that, I knew I was in some ship with my mom yelled out my social security dude, That's why I fucking knew all my identifying information.
Speaker 1: If I if I did ever assassinate any anyone, that would be what I'd go down as. John Christopher O'Brien, you know, oh right, right right, yeah, hey man, he's our JC man. You know, Hey, Miles, Yeah, where can people find you as their work media you've been enjoying? Uh yeah, let's see.
Speaker 3: I'm on Twitter and Instagram at Miles of Gray you can find and Jack and I on the basketball podcast.
Speaker 1: Miles and Jack got my boosties.
Speaker 3: They can find me talking about ninety day fiance on for twenty Day fiance.
Speaker 1: Uh tweet I like is from at Falca. It says, Yo, what's up. It's your Spotify DJ.
Speaker 3: Damn you got some fire taste, nef Well, let me put you onto something I ain't think you heard before now playing million Dollar Baby, the biggest hits that Spotify DJ is sometimes so off. I'm like, please, just I don't know why I aerently hit that button. I saw that tweet and I was unaware of this product. So there's a there's a an AI DJ. Oh, it's like, what's up, Jack, It's me your DJ. We're gonna get into some grooves that you were really messing with last year, and let's start the vibe off with one of your favorite artists outcast and it will do something like based on what you play a lot, and they're like, all right, let's switch gears. Here's some Vietnamese Christmas music and you're like, uh, all right, but I don't know if that was the vibe I was looking for, but cool, so yeah, but shout out.
Speaker 1: The AI DJs all around the world.
Speaker 3: And it's just another piece of media that I do like, is I'm a big fan of the game Ghost of Tsushima, and today there was an announcement trailer for the follow up called Ghost of Yote, and.
Speaker 1: It looks fucking really good.
Speaker 3: But I'm preparing myself for troll backlash because the main character is a woman, and inevitably people would be like, women can't do Samurai sword.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the fucking trailer looks great.
Speaker 3: So anyone who is a fan of Ghost of Tushima check that trailer out because it.
Speaker 1: Looks pretty cool. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. Like a couple tweets, We'll just go with this one. Cybershell at Cybershell tweeted this section of Jim Carrey's Wikipedia article cracks me up. Then I'm just going to read a paragraph from Jim Carrey's Wikipedia article. In April twenty twenty two, Carrie announced that he was considering retirement from the film industry, explaining I have enough, I've done enough, I am enough. When I asked if he would come back, his response was, it depends if the Angels bring some sort of script that's written in gold ink that says to me that it's going to be really important for people to see. I might continue down the road, but I'm taking a break. In February twenty twenty four, it was announced that Carrie would reprise his role as Doctor Robot and Sonic the Hedgehog three now trailer. Yeah that was wild. Yeah. Oh my kids are fuck they're ready psyched for Sonic the Hedgehog three. Unfortunately. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist, where at the Daily es i Guist on Instagram, we have Facebook fan page and a website, Daily zeikeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our foot note when we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Hey, Miles, is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 3: Hey, it's your Spotify DJ, and I think you should listen to one of the biggest songs of the summer, million Dollar Baby by my boy Tommy Richmond. Though it's a song that I think we should go out on if you like. I was just listening to some new jab best who's like, you know, obviously one of the most like iconic beat makers from Japan and really kicked off like the chill beat scene like the interstitials of like Adult Swim. You know, Samurai Shamploo is on that soundtrack. And there's another Japanese producer I stumbled upon called Pigeon Dust and also has a very like similar vibe which is really like enjoyable, jazzy sort of sample beats, easy to listen to. It's called nothing but Jazz Loops and artist is Pigeon Dust.
Speaker 1: All right, we will. I don't I don't like the idea of pigeon dust because I've been hails fuite a bit of it living in New York City. But yeah, pigeon dander, so anyways, but go listen to that and enjoy it. The Daily zeitgeis is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite show. That's gonna do it for us this morning. We're back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we'll talk to you all then five