Speaker 1: Welcome to off the cop with me, SI cop. What a week it was before we get to the biggest news of the week, and it is huge, you guys.
Speaker 2: Let's just recount some of.
Speaker 1: The other things that happened, because there were some doozies in there. Let's start with Nancy Mace, Republican House member from South Carolina. She's made her entire career on policing congressional bathrooms for trans people. Sorry for one trans member of Congress, Sarah McBride. Anyway, she was running for governor. I don't know if you realized that, but she was. And this week she not only lost her primary, she came in fifth.
Speaker 2: She came in fifth.
Speaker 1: That's right, she was beat by four other people in a primary.
Speaker 2: Here is what Sarah.
Speaker 1: McBride said, which is like better than anything I could say about this. She said, Congress's top bathroom sheriff, Nancy Mace is on the ballot, and while not all of the votes have been counted yet, she is in a respectful fifth place. I don't like punching down, and I believe in the politics of grace, so I will say happy pride, Nancy boom perfect. The internet is also of course making memes about Nancy Mace and Riley Gaines, the college swimmer who's made her entire career opposing trans athletes. Mace and Gaines, the meme goes, are two conservative women who finished in fifth place. Okay, I'm not usually one to gloat, but today we're just so used to bad people being rewarded for bad behavior, so when one isn't, it's a beautiful thing. So pour one out for Nancy Mace soon coming to a Newsmax near you.
Speaker 2: I'm sure see what else happened this week?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, Trump backed off his absolutely insane.
Speaker 2: Pick of Bill Pulty for D and I for Director of National Intelligence. Another win for the good guys.
Speaker 1: Trump raised eyebrows even among Republicans with that pick, as Pulty has absolutely no qualifications or relevant experience to lead our intelligence agencies none. All he's qualified to do is what he was doing, which was go after Trump's political enemies. He wasn't even doing that well, but it's clear that's what Trump wants in the position. Republicans were not going to confirm Pulty, and so Trump had to reverse course. Instead, he has nominated Jay Clayton. Now, he also has no relevant experience in intelligence, but he's got a slightly better pedigree as a Wall Street lawyer, and just like Pulty, he's more than happy to push election fraud lies on television. So again, clearly that's what Trump cares about. We'll see if that one can get through. But uh, the big news of the week, Okay, the big news. And I kind of hope you haven't heard it already, because nothing pleases me more than breaking news to you find folks. And I don't know, maybe you don't tell too many people either, because we don't want to jinx it. We don't want to spook anyone. But this is big, this is huge, It's monumental. Drum roll please. Yesterday President of the United States Donald Trump announced we just made a great settlement of the war with Iran. That's right, it's over. Call off the war, send the troops home, open the straight of horror moves. Get ready to fill up your gas tanks with three dollars gas.
Speaker 2: The war is finally over. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Trump even said a deal might be signed to this weekend.
Speaker 2: Really excited.
Speaker 3: It took a.
Speaker 1: While, over one hundred days, even though Trump said it would just last a few weeks. Finally it's done. We could all breathe a sigh of relief. Our long national nightmare is over.
Speaker 2: We can all go.
Speaker 1: Back to our hold on, Wait a second, sorry, hold on a minute. I get I'm getting some guidance. It seems Iran has responded to Trump's declaration, and well, let me just read it. Spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry is saying no such agreement exists and that it's currently under review by.
Speaker 2: The relevant decision making institutions.
Speaker 1: It's curious because President says it's over, prison says the deal has been reached, Present says a deal is coming this weekend, and I know him to be truthful, so I don't know what is going on. Well, hm, yes, okay, My producers are pointing out something that's true.
Speaker 2: That's true. Trump has said this before. How many times has he said? Thirty eight? Thirty eight times? Okay, wow, thirty eight times.
Speaker 1: Trump has apparently said this war is over or a deal has been reached. So I guess it's not a great track record. But listen, it's been a while, silver lining, it's been a while since there's been any real hostilities, right, because we're in a ceasefire that much?
Speaker 2: That much?
Speaker 1: I know the President called for a ceasefire. We're in a ceasefire. That's good news. At least there's been no hold on.
Speaker 2: That's not correct. Sorry, let me checking my notes on Wednesday. Shoot.
Speaker 1: On Wednesday, the US bomb de Ron for the second straight day after Ron struck hour Apache helicopter over the strait of her moves.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that, damn it. So I guess we're not really in a ceasefire.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what Trump had to say about this important business this week from the Oval Office.
Speaker 4: This is going to support millions and millions of people, America's fishermen. Of just there's special people and as special men and fisher women. So tell me how do they define that? Because in most industries, like you have policemen policewomen. Do you call them fishermen and fisher women? I haven't heard of that one before. But if are we, how are the women? Do they want to be designated as fisher women? Does anybody want to answer that question? Hm?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess I have egg on my face.
Speaker 2: My bad.
Speaker 1: That was Trump talking about the other important item of business this week. What to call women who fish? Okay, back to Iran. The war may or may not be over. I guess we'll have to wait and see if thirty ninth time is the charm. But at least the good news is it's not taking quite as bad of a hit on our economy as it was in the beginning. We're all feeling a little relief, right Wait a second, hold on more notes from my producers. Man, they're on one today. There's such sticklers for you know, the truth. I keep telling them it doesn't matter. Okay, I guess. Supposedly, according to experts, UH Producer Price Index, a gauge of wholesale inflation. Well, it's up six point five percent. It's it's highest since November twenty twenty two. So Americans are facing the fastest priced inflation they've seen in years, and it likely hasn't even peaked yet.
Speaker 2: Oof. That's bad. That's really bad.
Speaker 1: Well let's see what the President had to say about this, the rise in inflation. I'm sure he's sympathetic.
Speaker 3: You can serve, mister President about the latest inflation number which.
Speaker 5: Came out this morning.
Speaker 3: Could that be a no?
Speaker 5: I love plumage triumph?
Speaker 4: You know what I really love? I love the inflation.
Speaker 2: Yikes, he loves the inflation. Well, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: He must know something that we don't about why inflation is good for us, right, Like, I'm not an economist, I must not know inflation's great. Actually, I had it backwards. I thought inflation was bad.
Speaker 2: I guess. I guess. Hm, we should focus on the positive, the positive. Trump.
Speaker 1: Well, Trump's a tough guy, and I'm sure he'll get us all a good deal in a war we didn't ask for and has only hurt us. I'm sure he can walk us through this and tough talk his way. After all, the world fears him, so when he threatens, people listen, right. Well, I guess, except, well, that's not totally true. There was that time he threatened Putin not to invade Ukraine or he'd bombed the shit out of Moscow.
Speaker 2: That's a quote. I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess Putin wasn't scared at that time. He's been threatening Iran for nearly a decade. He threatened to bomb fifty two cultural sites in Iran during his first term. He backed off of that. He threatened to obliterate Iran, backed off that. He threatened to end the civilization overnight, he backed off that. Just this week, he threatened to bomb the shit out of Iran if they failed to reach a piece deal. Looks like he might just have to go ahead and do that though. Oh and today, in response to iran statement that they have not reached a deal, he posted, they better get their act together and fast. Yikes to be on the receiving end of those threats. Let's talk about shaking in my boots. Look out a Roan, get your act together or else. So I guess, uh, I guess I don't have any news for you on Iran. But I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath. It feels like a deal is right around the corner. Okay, when we come back, I talked to an old pal about what all this means.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're back and I'm joined now by my old friend Kevin Madden. He's a Republican strategist who worked on the Romney campaign.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Kevin.
Speaker 5: Great to be with you, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to have you on this week in particular to talk about the midterm election year. You've run campaigns, You've run them at the highest level. You know the ins and outs, you know what good campaign practices are. I just want to know what you make of where Republicans are right now going into the mid terms, with the president who seems hell bent on making their chances of keeping a majority like impossible, telling Americans he loves inflation, he doesn't care about their finances affordability as a hoax, spending his time on ballrooms and reflecting pools, putting his name on buildings and his face on money, getting rich off cronyism and corruption and self dealing while many Americans are struggling to buy food and gas, holding UFC fights at the White House, tossing out fun ideas like billion dollar slush funds to pay off insurrectionists and fake electors primary safe seats like for the fun of it, forcing Republicans to spend millions more than they need to. I mean, just from your perch, how is this all going to shake out for Republicans come November?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think the best strategists and the best campaign managers, the best campaign staffers all the way down the line have to take a very clinical view of the environment that you're operating in, and so I put a lot of the kind of you know, what fuels the sort of like what fuels a lot of the sort of chatter and what feels like the cable.
Speaker 2: News stuff, Yeah, the noise.
Speaker 3: And I just try to think, like, okay, what's driving the electorate out there? And I think the best strategies do recognize and we have there's are really good ones that are that are running the campaign committees and running like the big races. They know that they have some headwinds right now. They know that this is an environment that is driven very much by the idea of affordability and a softening of the economy right now, right like that is what that's creating some of the headwinds. And then like you have the historical headwinds, you have the fact that anytime you have an incumbent in the White House, Yeah, the party in power does sort of face a little bit of a backlash and say they know that like the average you know, uh, the average midterm losses for a party is probably.
Speaker 5: Somewhere in the mid twenties.
Speaker 3: Right in the Senate, it's probably around two to three seats. Now, they have also some advantages.
Speaker 5: They've they recognize that.
Speaker 3: They've done very well on the fundraising, They recognize that they've done very well with candidate recruitment. They also recognize, like a lot of Republicans right now, recognize that Democrats are not while they as much as they dislike President Trump, they're not exactly thrilled with their own party leadership.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right now, some of that is changing.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, Democrats are now starting to see that the that the environment out there is starting to work in their favor. So they may not love their candidates, they are sure as going to show up and register their votes. So those are kind of the big picture trends that I think the best strategists looking at the environment clinically, I think that they've that they've come to terms with a lot of that.
Speaker 1: But you yeah, and I hear that, right like, these are professionals in most cases.
Speaker 2: In some cases they're not.
Speaker 1: But those cases they're professionals, and they've been here before, and they know how to separate the principal Donald Trump from you know, they're candidate. But there's so much noise, and there's so much incoming.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: All the traditional headwinds are there, and there's more on top.
Speaker 2: Right, We've got a war that no one really asked for.
Speaker 1: Like, no one's bought into this war, even in the magaside. Like I'm sure they want to win and they want Trump to do well, but like, no one's bought in on this war.
Speaker 2: And I don't know when this is going to end.
Speaker 1: We've got months before the midterms, but it's really become the story like how do you manage all the incoming And if you're a vulnerable Republican, you're.
Speaker 2: Going home, They're going.
Speaker 1: Home right now, and you're going to hear from your constituents about things like ballrooms and reflecting pools and slush funds, and you know, how do you how do you message that well?
Speaker 5: I think, Look, I think the bought in on the war thing.
Speaker 3: I would say at the beginning of the military conflict, there were a lot of Republicans that were very strong in their support for the White House.
Speaker 5: Taking taking action.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, yeah, confronting a nuclear Iran has been a big has been an important part of the Republican playing for previous candidate, for previous presidents, and I think even previous sort of Republican nominees. The thing that I think is changing is that the clarity that they need to really force fully defend the president's actions and the objectives of the military objectives. That's been somewhat elusive, I think, to say to put the game, to put like a clinical analysis on it.
Speaker 5: They could use more of that.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things that they're going to have to do is reinforce what they think the White House needs to do about making very clear the military objectives, making very clear what they what they're hoping to achieve, and why it's important to Americans that that's what I really think at certain point, many of these candidates have to bring take away from any umbrella strategy from the White House, can get out of the national jet stream and focus relentlessly on tailoring their message to their unique constituency, in their district, in their state, and so on the Iran issue, they're going to have to do that.
Speaker 5: They're also going to.
Speaker 3: Have to talk about housing, How they're going to talk about food prices, gas prices, and what the administration and their congressional allies could should are doing to bring down to address those costs. I mean that is I mean, it's I mean when you look when you look at the big challenge that Linny's candidates facing it's the everyday presence of rising prices. When they go to the grocery store, they're seeing high food prices, They're seeing it when they fill up their guest tank. They're also seeing it in things like healthcare costs, rent housing.
Speaker 5: Right, so they really have to.
Speaker 3: Kind of localize and personalize to your unique your unique district, constituency and state what it is that they're doing to address those costs. Right now, I'd say the most important sort of demographic is working class. That's like the battlefield for twenty twenty party twenty six. Yeah, for both parties, Like Democrats know that they've lost the last couple of elections because they lost working class support. Republicans have to focus, I think, relentlessly on them. And they also have to get a lot of like if you're looking at the partisan breakdown, you've got to get a lot of independent voters back.
Speaker 5: They did very well with.
Speaker 3: Independence in twenty twenty, to be tough, in the sixteen months since, like they Independence have migrated back away into a sort of like unhappiness, undecided, but we need and a no man's land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, And I think what I have been seeing most from both parties is and this isn't surprising we've been in primaries, but both parties really trying to shore up the base and kind of not really going after independence. They'll of course have to do that in the general. It's going to be a tough switch when you're going from you know, far left progressivism and those kinds of ideas on the left and you're going for like Ken Paxton's maga stuff on the right.
Speaker 2: Real tough to come back to the middle in a general.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think this is a mistake that you know, bad strategists make, which is they say all all midterms are base elections. There is a lot of truth to really getting out and energizing your base. It's very different from like, you know, from a presidential year, but the support that you're sort of losing from independence right now, even if you got your base back, you'd still be in a very you'd still be short of being able to win a majority in a lot of these these you know, thirty to forty battleground states and some of these five to six Senate toss ups, you really do have to get the big middle of the elector right. Even this effective Republicans who are not necessarily hardcore MAGA enthusiasts.
Speaker 5: You need to get them back on the on the in order to win.
Speaker 1: Yep, we're also ramping up for a presidential in twenty twenty eight. I'm ing to get your thoughts what Trump's doing right now? How does this impact twenty twenty eight for someone like JD. Vance or Marco Rubio or are they like clean slate candidates. They're both deeply in the administration, deeply involved in a lot of the decisions that are being made. Will they be tainted by whatever's going on right now or will they benefit from whatever's going on right now?
Speaker 3: Well, look, we're in a political environment that is always Trump. It's just something that people have to come to terms with. And I think any really good, smart campaign is going to recognize that we're not going to be quote able to break from the president in the next election. You're going to have to have a campaign that recognizes that he is going to cast that the Trump effect will cast a long shadow over the twenty twenty eight environment. The analogy I always use, and I'm dating myself here in the sense that it's one of my favorite movies, but it's from a long time ago Is se Hinton and Francis four Coppola is the Outsiders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now there's a.
Speaker 2: Big vie my namesake by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh really, I did not know that. That's uh, that's incredible. Not many sees so there you go.
Speaker 3: Right, But there's the one of the like one of the most important parts of the of the movie is there's the rumble scene, right, and one of my favorite parts of that scene was where Dallas Winston, the Matt Dillon character, comes running out of the hospital that he was in to join the rumble at the minute, and he says, ain't nobody.
Speaker 5: Having a rumble without me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Donald Trump is basically Dallas Winston here, and it's like, ain't nobody having an election without me? Even if I'm not on the ballot, I am going to shape the outcomes of this election. Say both, I mean, the Democrats want that and Republican candidates that are getting ready to run.
Speaker 5: It are going to have to come to terms with that.
Speaker 3: Right, There's no running away from Donald Trump in this is it is a Trump defined party as long as he's on the scene.
Speaker 1: I think you're one hundred percent right, that's inarguable and we haven't had a Republican nominee for president not named Trump, Sincett, Romney, your old principle. But I'm wondering what you think. So I've been watching Tucker Carlson, you know, who I used to work for and know really well. It seems to me he is trying to create a Trump alternative Lane to run for president in twenty twenty eight, where he will be like, well, I'm the real America first candidate. Trump made all these promises, promise not to get into us into a war. I'm the guy that's not going to get us into a war. And I'm the real you know, muscular Christian, And I'm the real.
Speaker 2: Guy that you thought you got with Trump.
Speaker 1: Marjorie Taylor Green might be doing something similar, you know, trying to carve out like that Trump alternative Maga Lane. What do you make of that project? Will that have any impacts or legs?
Speaker 5: I think possibly. I think it's all how.
Speaker 2: How how much?
Speaker 5: The question a lot of these candidates are going.
Speaker 3: To ask, are going to have to ask themselves, is do I really want to run against something?
Speaker 5: Do I want to run for something? Am I running for this job?
Speaker 3: Because I believe it is I am the best person in the world to take on this position? Or am I running just for the sake of like building up an email list? Where I'm running because somebody told me that it's my time, Like Yeah. There are so many campaigns that started out with promise and ended in failure because they didn't ask themselves these central questions like what is it that I want to do with the most powerful position in the world?
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I also think fundamentally every single election is a contest for the future.
Speaker 5: The system itself.
Speaker 3: Other candidates, you know, the respective political campaign parties are all going to try and define this election as what was wrong with Trump?
Speaker 5: Or what would you have done differently from Trump?
Speaker 3: I think the way to win one of these elections is to constantly remind yourself that you're never going to be punished for what happened in the past as much as you will be rewarded for what you can promise voters for the future. And if you can anchor a campaign around that, I think it's going to be a successful campaign.
Speaker 5: You may not win, but you'll.
Speaker 3: Do better than expected, and you'll have learned a lot, and you'll ultimately have built a political profile that's more aligned with voter sentiment than not. And then I think, I think ultimately these things are are also campaigns where you have to sort of align yourself, like like we always say, like the campaign that always wins if you go back and look at any of these contests, the campaign that always wins is the one that affirmatively answers the question is this person on my side?
Speaker 5: Do they understand the problems of people like me? Right? I always joke. I mean, this is one of the things with our self.
Speaker 3: Criticism of the Romney campaign was we had a fifty nine point economic plan that we presented to voters.
Speaker 5: We lost to a guy with a three point economic plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Like and at three point economic plan I can remember to this day, I cannot remember many of the points from the thirty nine point one right, yeah, And it was we need an economy built the last weaning, the economy built from the middle out and I'm on your side, yeah, and the next the winner of the of the twenty twenty eight election, and I think will answer all of those kind of like what I would describe as kind of big existential questions more affirmatively than the one that they that loses.
Speaker 1: So on that what kind of candidate on the left do you think would have the best chance. I'm not asking who, but like the kind of candidate, like what should the Democrat running in twenty twenty eight have or not have to be competitive against whatever MAGA puts up.
Speaker 3: I think they're gonna have to present themselves as a fighter first and foremost. They're going to have to sort of like kind of break the mold of like the wonky Democrat, yeah right, where they're also like a Democrat who is building coalition by coalition, a micro targeted campaign, and they're gonna have to be sort of bigger, bold or fighter, right, yeah, Like is that like.
Speaker 2: A rama manual?
Speaker 5: Like I think you know, so that that's right.
Speaker 3: So I was gonna say, I think of some of the candidates that could potentially do that, and I think there's there is some coalition politics though that makes it somewhat problematic for certain candidates to maybe to maybe to maybe win in a Democrat primary.
Speaker 5: But it's like JB.
Speaker 3: Pritzker, uh, Josh Shapiro, Wes Moore to a certain degree, you know, I think those are some of the candidates that I think that that that that might emerge. I always thought one of the best candidates in the Democratic primary that I think had the most potential and probably would have learned the most from their last run and could present well in another run would have been Amy Klobachar.
Speaker 2: Huh interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So those are.
Speaker 3: Some of the some of the players that I think might be able to might be able to kind of break out of that mold.
Speaker 1: You know, I covered the Romney campaign. You obviously we're in it, but so I don't have to tell you, but it was incredibly frustrating to hear Democrats paint him as a literal monster, right, he was like a sexist, dog killing asshole.
Speaker 2: We knew that wasn't true, and it was such bullshit.
Speaker 1: And I speak to a lot of Democrats today who say that they regret doing that. But like, if someone like Adam Kinsinger or Liz Cheney were to run, I feel like Democrats would also call them monsters, right, Like they were heroes when they were standing up to Trump, but if they ran because of their conservative.
Speaker 2: Credentials, they'd be monsters.
Speaker 1: So, like, what are moderate principled conservatives who are been kicked out of the Republican Party but are only good to the Democratic Party when they're standing up to Trump, Like, where are they to go?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if there will be that kind of like test inside a Republican primary where one of these candidates feels like they can develop a platform and give people an alternative to the sort of Trump.
Speaker 5: And Maga approach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just don't I don't see that there's enough elasticity right now in the party or really.
Speaker 5: Even a focus.
Speaker 3: Like I think one of the mistakes that a lot of those like Kinzinger and Cheney's made was was was focusing on this idea of of being a moderate and I think almost in some regards like playing foot see with like the worst elements of the Democratic Party in order just in order to just be a critic of the Republican Party versus really sort of like defending this conservative credentials and really trying to offer a bit more of a holistic national security, uh economic and uh sort of social conservatism mantle, right, Because like, in many ways, those are the folks that I think we were ill served by like a Trump presidency which kind of challenged the sort of traditional Reagan man Reagan three legged stool approach to power.
Speaker 1: See yeah, okay, before we let you go, we always finished with an exit poll. It's a series of questions of varying degrees of seriousness. So first question is what is your favorite movie about politics?
Speaker 3: Oh, favorite movie about politics the I'd say The March, the Eyes of March. I really liked that one.
Speaker 5: My thoughts great.
Speaker 3: I thought Eyes of March captured what it's like to be, you know, sitting in a hotel lobby in Iowa at you know, fifteen below zero on account. Also just like how much work is done in the back seats of like Chevy suburbans, and how many decisions are made on the way.
Speaker 5: To the next event, like that type of thing.
Speaker 3: I actually thought it was as authentic a portrayal of what campaign.
Speaker 5: Life was about. I also love Robert Redford's The Candidate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just kind of an old school version of campaign politics.
Speaker 2: So but also very true to life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, The Candidate.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a real good look at what a campaign is like. Okay, if you were advising a student who wanted to get into politics to study one campaign from history, recent or past, what campaign would you tell them to study?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's a good one. I would say.
Speaker 3: The nineteen seventy two campaign, Yeah, I think just like the Democratic primary on that side, was I think particularly illustrative of how the like an internal party fight would produce a nominee to ultimately go against like Auch, a much more well funded candidate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But it was also such an incredible time in American history where we were transitioning from the volatle sixties into the seventies, and I think a lot of the changes in political coalitions, a lot of the changes in tactics. It was one of the one of the campaigns it was more of like a post TV into a post sort of introduction of TV to campaigns, and TV is becoming much more prevalent, and the sort of presenting and packageming a candidate was much more sure was new to campaigns.
Speaker 5: I think that would be one that'd be interesting to study.
Speaker 2: Great World Cup or NBA Finals.
Speaker 3: World Cup. I have become Yes, here's here's the here's the thing. I used to be the biggest basketball fan I was. You're from Yonkers, I know, like St. Saint John's college basketball. I watched every single Knicks game from nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 5: The nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 3: The game has changed so much, traveling, moving picks, no defense, three points, three point shots, NonStop.
Speaker 5: I have not seen an NBA game since Xavier McDaniels was on the Knicks.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I would actually and I find the learning of and the strateg g of world of soccer right now, particularly when you, I mean the difference between like what we watch on like Major League soccer or even college soccer, to World Cup soccer with teams like Spain and Holland, like it is just mastery. And so I'm perfectly willing to admit that I would much rather watch the World Cup than watch the next I haven't watched the second of.
Speaker 5: The NBA finals.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm shocked, But I know, I know, I love that. Speaking of Younkers, you're from Younkers. What's something about Yonkers people may not know?
Speaker 3: The waterfront is probably one of the most beautiful views you'll find anywhere in the New York area. It is uh if you go down to like the Yonkers Pier and you look at the palisades and you look look up north to what is essentially Rockland County, and the UH and the the Cuomo Bridge, which we used to call the tap and Z yeah south and usually look just so yeah, and you look south, you can just you can see the Manhattan skyline. It's one of the things that makes it the greatest about Yonkers, New York is that a lot of people in west Chester think it's part of the Bronx and everybody in New York, everybody in New York City thinks it's upstate. And we have this like incredible identity crisis, but we have the biggest two by four on our shoulder as a result of that, Like we think we're great. We think we love where we live. And you know, you look at the the gateway to to upstate New York and Westchester and you're you're you're can literally see the New York skyline to your left, and it's just a unique I started. I think it kind of uniquely captures what's great about Yonkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. And if people are visiting New York, they should go they should go to y Younkers.
Speaker 3: It's really fun, great restaurants and down there in the like the Main Street area, the Getty Square area. And actually, one thing about Yonkers, and you probably see this all the time on my social media feed. A lot of movie scenes were filmed in Yonkers. Yes, lots of different movies, like the movie It Could Happen to You, the movie Sleepers. There were a lot of scenes that that that catch me if you can. That's the scene where he's running down the street. That's Warboard and Avenue in Yonkers. So like, yeah, there's a lot of scenes that are from New York that that Yonkers still has this easy. Uh. We always need to make it easy for them to film there. And it looks like New York. It looks like parts of New York City, it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you watching on TV these days?
Speaker 3: College baseball? Both my I have three sons. Two of my sons are very big baseball players. One my son, Collins, going into going into college next year and he's gonna be pitching for Hamilton College and D three, And we're just obsessed with watching college baseball.
Speaker 5: It's a really pure version of the sport. It's a very fun version of the sport.
Speaker 3: And I also think like the College World Series is very It's one of the hardest championships to win because of how the seedings and the bracketing and the format is and it's just extremely it's exciting. Like right now, we don't know who's going to win this College World Series amongst the teams that are in it. So I just watch so much. Our whole family watches NonStop college baseball at home.
Speaker 2: Fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, if someone's visiting DC and they want to feel like a real power player, where do they go for lunch?
Speaker 3: Bobby Vans on Fifteenth Street, where me and a certain John Goodwin used to hang out all the time.
Speaker 2: Your husband, I've never heard of him. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I always used to make fun because John, my husband Goody, would be like I'd come down to visit him in DC and he'd be like, we're going to Bobby Vance or we're going to Rosa Mexicano, and I'd be like, you know, we have those in New York, all.
Speaker 5: The restaurants in DC.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, everybody's like, why are we going to Bobby Vance for the fifthieth time? But everybody like the owners of Bobby Vans are the greatest people we've ever met.
Speaker 5: They they shoot their customers great.
Speaker 3: The other thing, it's got a really cool patio where anybody walking up and down that street you'll see you could sit there on that patio outside and you could see members of Cabinet, members of the White House, You'll see people from you know that are that are in TV and media, like it's just a great it's a great pace watching spot.
Speaker 2: It is. I would I would add Cafe Milano to that. I love Cafe.
Speaker 3: Cafe Milano is very good, but that for me, that's kind of on the other side of Georgetown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: The last question is very important to me. We ask it at the end of every podcast. It's part of my cultural and spiritual identity. When is it iced coffee season?
Speaker 3: Ice coffee season, I'd say starts around Memorial Day, right, I'm not an ice coffee guy. I will say that when that's I'm a hot cop I'm a hot coffee guy, and ice coffee when I get it, it's so good.
Speaker 5: It's almost like a treat that I just liked so good. And this almost had.
Speaker 3: Like the shakes from the amount of caffeine.
Speaker 1: And well, the correct answer is it's year round.
Speaker 2: This is year round.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate that at least you are a coffee drinker and that you do have ice coffee once in a while, you know.
Speaker 5: My the Capitol Hill Starbucks.
Speaker 3: My wife and I had our first date there, and I had never really been as much of a coffee drinker as Jacqueline will like have a Venti coffee before she even brushes her teeth in the morning.
Speaker 5: But we just to keep talking to her.
Speaker 3: I had three venty iced mochas, and I do like the next day, like my heart was still racing like a day and a.
Speaker 5: Half afterwards from that first day.
Speaker 3: And she's so many she still laughs about how talkative I was during nap. But mild thing is like, I just gotta keep this thing going. Let's keep ordering vent the ice cop iced mocha Starbucks.
Speaker 2: So that's adorable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is adorable.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: I wish it was romantic behind the political strategies here.
Speaker 2: It's Starbucks. That's fine. I wish it were Duncan.
Speaker 1: But I'm happy for you guys that you that your love affair began over coffee.
Speaker 2: Thanks Kevin Madden.
Speaker 5: So great to see you, always great to see you as well.
Speaker 1: Give my best to John Well and thanks to you for tuning in. We'll see you next time. Off the cop is a production of iHeart Podcast as part of the Reason Choice Network. If you want more, check out the Other Reason Choice podcast Spolitics with Jamel Hill and Native Plan Pod. For Off the Cup, I'm your host Si Cupp. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are Me Sie Cup and Lauren Hanson. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, follow and subscribe for new episodes every week.