Speaker 1: My League Buns has how the knowledge you want.
Speaker 2: My league buds has how the knowledge you need.
Speaker 1: My League buns chat.
Speaker 2: They have out the books that the whole wild world Wunner reads My League Buds. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Bookshow, bringing a world together with books, culture and community. Hi, my name is Malik, your host of Malik's Book Show. WOA was just an explosive weekend listen. I was out at the Los Angelesins Place book at USC. It was this weekend April twenty and April twenty first, and Malik Books again was the children's main stage special seller, so we had about thirty authors from the spoke on the main children's stage and Milk Books was the children's book provider for.
Speaker 1: All of those books. That was amazing.
Speaker 2: We had Tiffany had it and I was able to get an interview with her while she was signing some stock for Malik Books and the huge line of customers who brought the books from us so she can sign after she spoke on the children's main stage. You know, she has a couple of books out, The Last Black Unicorn that was one of the books that came out a few years ago and then she wrote this book with this beautiful bo Leila the Unicorn. It's a children's book. It's a beautiful book, beautiful story. And she was out there, you know, reading her book, entertaining the audience and signing customers books. I was able to interview her while she was signing my stock. You know, I take advantage of that opportunity when it presents itself.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna feature that on this episode. And I was hyped all week. I talked to Doctor Murral book and she ended up with me.
Speaker 2: Said, now, I hosted Doctor Mirroll Book at Malie's Books booth Booth a eighty I had out there.
Speaker 1: I had the bookmobile, and you know, I was doing a number of things. I had three books.
Speaker 2: I had a book booth over it by USC Booth five thirty seven. But I had some independent self published authors named CJ.
Speaker 1: Charles who wrote a book called.
Speaker 2: My Mother Is My Superhero Things and that was wonderful. I had Uh Larry over there who wrote a book read Writing Blue Larry and his family. But over at my booth eight eighty, well, they all was my booth, you know, because I provided all the books, right, But our big booth that we featured seventeen authors, some that spoke on panels, some independent, some just happened to we invited to our booth. So we did very well. We did very well. But I didn't interview all of the authors cause I had to move all over the place in order to make sure things was running smoothly. April Sheet hosted the Children's Special Seller booth.
Speaker 1: I hosted Malik Books and in the.
Speaker 2: Bookmobile, and it went smooth. It went smooth, and so I interviewed.
Speaker 1: Doctor Muele Bouck inside the book Boy. Let me tell you that was the first time.
Speaker 2: I might have did an interview here and there over the years, but but I was able to interview inside the bookmobile. And I wish I would have video taped it, you know, and been able to post that on YouTube. But I I I interviewed doctor Muele Buka, who wrote the book Breaking the Cycle into Generational Trauma. Now I might got that subtitle of I don't get me wrong, I don't have it in front of it, but I know the main title is called Breaking the Cycle, okay, And she wrote this beautiful book and I interviewed her before at Malik Books. When we hosted her and this beautiful, beautiful book signing and pack house great book signing. She you know, she did a thirdy session for the people in the audience and so forth. But while I was interviewing her, mind turn into a little therapy, Sesson. You know, I just opened up and talked about some of the things that sometimes I wrestle with and uh and that's like, you know, I'm very passionate, so sometimes I can be aggressive and unnecessary moments and so and I opened up about that about myself, and she began to give me some advice and things that I can do and so forth.
Speaker 1: And you and I.
Speaker 2: Guess that's the first step to identify. And then so I enjoyed the conversation we had. It was it was, it was insightful and informative. So I'm gonna feature that conversation I had with doctor Mirk Pkay on my episode on this episode, and this is the ninety ninth episode, this is the ninety nine episode. I gotta be you know, think about what I'm gonna talk about on my one hundred because that's you.
Speaker 1: That's epic. And I wanted to be epic. I wanted to be great.
Speaker 2: I wanted it to be entertaining, and I wanted to be insightful, you know, I wanted to be passionate.
Speaker 1: All of those good things just a hundred. So if you got any of these.
Speaker 2: Suggestions, I'm open to it. You know, always be open and available to absorb sometimes and so you can reach me at real Malik Muhammad at gmail dot com if you.
Speaker 1: Gotta a suggestion, Okay, I'm open to that.
Speaker 2: But I was able to interview doctor MIRLLL pri Kat, I was able to interview Tiffany had It.
Speaker 1: I got other interviews. I'm gonna, you know, drop them as well.
Speaker 2: But let me tell you what's happening this upcoming week though, this upcoming week, guess who's coming.
Speaker 1: To the house. We're gonna be graced with Ryan Seacrest.
Speaker 2: He's coming to Malakue Books this April twenty fifth, three point fifteen at Malague Books.
Speaker 1: This is epic. He's doing a twenty year tour.
Speaker 2: He's been DJing, hosting on Kiss Film one oh two point seven and he's doing an LA Tour OC tour celebrating thanking the community, thanking all the fans, thanking the people who has kept him on the radio for twenty long years, and he selected Malik Books to do a pop up and greet the people and give out you know, you can potentially win a thousand dollars, you.
Speaker 1: Know, pay some bills. That's all party.
Speaker 2: We give it away one hundred and two that's right, one hundred and two, twenty.
Speaker 1: Dollars gift cards.
Speaker 2: All that's taking place this Thursday, April twenty fifth, at three fifteen pm at Malik Books in the Westfield, Covid City Mall. This is epic, this is iconic, this is wonderful. I'm excited, and this is actually I've talked to Ryan on air many times, but this is the first time I get an opportunity to embrace him and thank him because I'm on ninety nine episodes, because he helped push me to this podcast, and I can't thank him enough. I never saw myself as a podcast, but I am, and I'm done ninety nine and even this the ninety nine episode.
Speaker 1: So you got to come out this Thursday.
Speaker 2: You got to come hang out with us, pick up a gift card, try to win a thousand dollars, play to pay some bills.
Speaker 1: And it's taking place at Malik Books.
Speaker 2: Three point fifteen this Thursday at the Westfield Covid City Mall.
Speaker 1: It's all about community, right, and that's.
Speaker 2: What my podcast I say, Malik's Bookshelf bringing a world together with books, culture and community.
Speaker 1: This is about the community coming together.
Speaker 2: And supporting a local independent bookstore on the heels of independent.
Speaker 1: Bookstore to Day, which is April twenty seven. Go figure right, because.
Speaker 2: We got a young lady Thomas sena booker, or let me get this right, doctor Thomas sena booker, who's gonna be at Malik Bush. She's got a series of bo and the book that we're blowing up is Brown Boy Joy, a book about celebrating brown and black boys. And that's a wonderful book. It's a beautiful book. He got a great storyline. She's gonna be in town celebrating Independent Bookstore Day this Saturday, April twenty. Look, it's one party and all the independent bookstores around the nation are participating all over this country. And so I'm inviting you out two Malate books at three o'clock where we're hosting giveaways. We got music and it's called lit.
Speaker 1: That's right. You invited to a let churner party. That's right.
Speaker 2: Let the your party because it's lit and it's at Malie Books. It's in the Westfield, Kobe City Mall is April twenty seven.
Speaker 1: It's at three p m.
Speaker 2: Doctor Thomas Cina Buker is gonna be doing workshops.
Speaker 1: She's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Doing story time, We're gonna be giving away gifts, we're gonna have snacks, and it's going down.
Speaker 1: At Malite Books. Now pre register. We just want to get an account now. It is a twenty five dollars registration fee.
Speaker 2: And you can go to melkbooks dot com to register or find the linkd on how to register. But it includes the book, so it's really a free event. But it's including the book. It's Independent book Store Day.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: You gotta buy a book on Independent Bookstore Day.
Speaker 1: Pay for your book in.
Speaker 2: Advance, that's all we actions cost twenty five dollars. Go to milikbooks dot com find the link and register for this wonderful it's let This taking place at Milik Books.
Speaker 1: It's a free and public event.
Speaker 2: So even if you don't register, show up and participate. Pay Independent Books Tho Day at Malik ex Let And if you.
Speaker 1: Haven't met me personally.
Speaker 2: Come out this Saturday and meet the height man of folks. That's right, come out to meet the hype Man of books this Saturday.
Speaker 1: But before we.
Speaker 2: Get the Saturday, you get meet Ryan Seacrest and the Milik the hype Man of Books this Thursday at three fifteen pm at Malik Books, Westfield.
Speaker 1: Cooba City Mall.
Speaker 2: Give it out one hundred and two twenty dollars gift cards and a chance to win one thousand dollars to pay your bills. So hey, if that ain't motivation to come out and meet Ryan Seacrest and Malik the hype Man of Books, come through.
Speaker 3: Two hours and seven minutes. They stood in life way to get my s They were first person.
Speaker 1: Nothing came out a strong, numb, strong force. Yeah, can you trying to hear it?
Speaker 3: No, this is my first time even at the first five show love.
Speaker 2: Yes, they they and you gotta figure to cut the line off and shaking way too.
Speaker 1: Another book. Yeah, that's how many people.
Speaker 2: Came out and here you can see you first.
Speaker 3: That's my first book right there.
Speaker 1: And the new book.
Speaker 3: Now this is this is not the new book. This one came out last year. You know this lailer the last back, yeah, right here. And then there's another book coming out about two weeks. Yeah, yeah, it's Tiffany had It shot cut you with Joey.
Speaker 2: I think I need to reach out.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's that version. This is recking with her for Kyllins.
Speaker 1: No mother, oh you heard it.
Speaker 2: Children.
Speaker 1: They not ready for the.
Speaker 3: Ground that step.
Speaker 1: This is the grown up for They ain't ready for something.
Speaker 3: So I'm doing that version on that, on that, on that last.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, what's that book about?
Speaker 3: That book is about me?
Speaker 1: You know you're right.
Speaker 3: What you know about that's what you're supposed to write about? What you know? I know about me, and I know about me, and again I know about these and I know about Hello.
Speaker 1: What she just told you?
Speaker 2: What that new book coming out there a couple of weeks, it's all about we gonna have it at Malie Books. Yes, you is.
Speaker 1: If you look, I'm gonna come up in there and talk. Come up in there. I like to give it for a book sign. That's what I'm gonna work. You got to put me in touch.
Speaker 3: I might just walk up in there and just sign your books without you knowing I'm up. You know, you're right down the street.
Speaker 2: From the house.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, I just what I love when authors do that. Hey, we're here from you.
Speaker 2: This is our special we support and give boys to the bushes.
Speaker 1: Yes, taking pictures? Yeah, why you signing? I'm talking? You know, I got a pocket books. You'll bring the world together with books, culture and community. We got to do books.
Speaker 2: What else next?
Speaker 1: Your TV? Your movies? What's next?
Speaker 3: Grocery stores? Oh yeah, grocery stores. There none in my neighborhood and the ones that actually grow people. Let's gonna have not just good healthy food for you, but financial literacy as well, and cooking class because I'm a find believer. Once you know how money works and you know how food works, what in the body's gonna work amazingly in your community will be a lot better because your family will be healthy. I'm getting started now. You're just tracted me. I gotta task. Hey, I can't do everything at once.
Speaker 1: You multi times.
Speaker 2: You all think, Hey, that's why we loved you telling.
Speaker 1: Us what's next?
Speaker 2: Look at that grocery stores dealing with food for the body and food for the mind.
Speaker 1: Your fun that find out your literacy is right on time.
Speaker 2: We need to teach our youth young about money we need.
Speaker 3: To teach our do folks.
Speaker 1: Hello, we need to teach this.
Speaker 3: A bunch of gold folks out here don't know nothing aboudy and their whole life, and it inffect your health.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spending all their money on clothes and shoes and don't own.
Speaker 3: No home, long term bills they shouldn't be paying, yes, because they don't. They making bad choices. They don't know matter.
Speaker 1: We gotta make you better, tell them.
Speaker 3: When you know better. I know I did better when I look better.
Speaker 1: But what about the neuber is no better? It's still don't do better.
Speaker 3: But then that's just called that bench. They just living in the you.
Speaker 1: Know, they just they doing it, they doing with you know, I tended.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes we all get out our own way that.
Speaker 1: Part, you know, another business. Sometimes we just man got to do better.
Speaker 2: Start making this cue.
Speaker 1: I think that's important for.
Speaker 2: Us to be responsible for what we know.
Speaker 1: Let's start complaining.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm sorry, Please excuse me.
Speaker 2: It's a system here for the Unicorn children's book and black for the last black Unicorn, black uniform, Leak's bookshelf, bringing a world together with books, culture and community. Now I'm standing here at the La Times Festival book. I'm at usc I got doctor Muriel k at our booth, did a sign and talk to us about your experience out here at the Los Angeles Times Festival book.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's been so invigorating, Like people are just so excited about books. People are excited about my Leak's books, and it's wonderful to be able to connect with readers about how they're breaking cycles, how they're experiencing the healing that's within the book. Like it's it's so wonderful to be here. And this place is packed with so much energy, with so much abundance, with so much to do, with so much to take in. It's just such a dope place to be.
Speaker 2: Now. Now I should I said your name, but I should have also included the title of your book.
Speaker 1: So mentioned the title in ut Okay.
Speaker 4: So it's Break the Cycle, a Guide to Healing Intergenerational Trauma, And it's exactly that. It's a healing guy that helps us to navigate the traumas of the past, the traumas that are within our families that didn't get resolved, got passed down. But it's time to just disrupt those cycles and step into abundance. And step into better legacies. So that's what we're doing here.
Speaker 2: You know, we talked earlier about the fact that I'm personally you know, I know I passed on some generational well this guy got it on a bike with a boombox, you know, watch Out the South got something.
Speaker 1: Let's step on into the book.
Speaker 2: But but we got that big bookmore build out.
Speaker 1: Here at the La Toms Festers book. Now we got a little pricy well from all that music.
Speaker 2: But you know I mentioned earlier about I know I passed on some generational trauma just you know, and I.
Speaker 1: Want to break the cycle.
Speaker 2: But first I got a knowledge that I have an issue and something that need to be broken. So you know, just talk to my audience at Malie's bookshelf about some tips they can do to identify and.
Speaker 1: To make change.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it, like the first thing is we got to like step into a destigmatized way of looking at our mental health. Like I love that you're saying, like we we all got stuff, right, Like, so I got stuff, you got stuff, And if we don't want to pass it down, or if we don't want to pass it down anymore, then it's going to be important for us to acknowledge it, like, yeah, I got some trauma, I didn't sort it out, and now I want to do something about it. So that's step one. Step two is really like recognizing the ways that our traumas be shore gowing up in our daily lives. Like if you're that person that everybody's like, that's the yeller of the family, you may not be a yeller per se. You may just be somebody that's deep in trauma and every time you get triggered by something, you start yelling. So start looking at the patterns in your life that are actually problematic or are disrupting your relationships, and start working from there.
Speaker 2: You said about yelling, ye, I need to learn something about how to prevent that.
Speaker 1: After being frustrated.
Speaker 2: You know, I got some achilles heels, got some breaking points. You know. There's some things that you know in progress, you know, and I find myself like certain things I snap at, you know, and and I find that I take it out on the people that's closest to me. Then then outsiders, and yet to people's closer.
Speaker 1: Than me are the ones they love you.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I'm getting this backwards.
Speaker 2: It's give me some tips, give me something I can just hold, like something I can just you know.
Speaker 1: They help me with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, first of all, it's so beautiful that you're asking for help. It's beautiful that you're recognizing where your patterns are. You're recognizing where you displace like some of that frustration, which is very typical for us, to displace it onto the people that we know are still going to stick around the next day, right, and that's for everybody, Like most of us do it that way. So the thing that we have to do the most is to learn to relax our minds and our bodies outside of the interactions with families. So that morning walk, I need you to start taking it. Those five ten minutes that can just clear your mind before you even dive into the first conversation of the day, and that conversation could just unravel you. That's going to be really important. It's going to be important to take those deep breaths because you're nervous. Is is going to need it. So whenever you, you know, encounter the same circumstance, you're not going to be yelling. You may be talking a little like out of frustration, but it's not going to be at the same level as before. So what we want to do is we want to dial it down right, Like we want to just like be able to get you to communicate in a way that still has love within it while expressing the frustration that's there, but that it doesn't disrupt your relationships in any way for the short term or the long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, I realized that, you know, the four elements, earth, air, and water on fire, and I need to control that fire and I need you know.
Speaker 1: That's why I asked you that, because it's you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm very passion That's why I'm the hype man of books. And I found a way to redirect that fire in my passion with the books. But I haven't always been successful around some of the people just around me.
Speaker 1: They love me, and so me struggling.
Speaker 2: Trying to find a way, like a light switch, turn it on it all, trying to find ways to say, man, cut that fire off because you're about to burn up everything.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, you know that's important for us to understand, like what's our element, right and how do we need to work with it? So if the fire is there, then it's going to be important to you know, when you feel that burning sensation coming up, just be like what's up?
Speaker 2: Maleik?
Speaker 4: Like what do you need? What do you need right now? Because obviously you have a need that isn't being met and so you have to yell to get that need met, to be heard, to.
Speaker 2: Be aggressive, just like I'm aggressive?
Speaker 1: Like wow, aggressive right now? Is that necessary?
Speaker 2: Right? Like?
Speaker 4: What is it that you need that you feel like you can only get through the aggressive you know, like words and language and approaches, so that you can have a better understanding of how you can then show up for yourself.
Speaker 2: And that's the key.
Speaker 4: Like it's like really going back to yourself and saying, like what am I missing? What do I need? Why am I yelling to be heard? And what is it that I can provide myself in this moment rather than be yelling to get it from others.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take them walks and please do it.
Speaker 4: And we need you to survive out here. We also need your longevity. It's also good, you know, for your health overall physical and mental. And the worth that you're doing is so powerful, so beautiful. I love Molief books. I love it here. I love your energy. And so if we want you around for a long time. Then we're gonna need you to take those.
Speaker 2: Walks, absolutely, because health is wealth, and wealth is health, and stress kills people.
Speaker 4: And especially us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know I do a lot of things.
Speaker 2: You know, I was a tract athlete, and that's how I used to take out my aggression in mind, you know, because you got to have a certain men time to be a sprint. Like I tell people when I'm coaching, I say, look, you ain't no killer.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you right now. To be a sprinter, you got to have a certain.
Speaker 2: Mindset because I'm about to rip every muscle in my body to run the fastest time possible. That takes a certain mindset. You ain't willing to unleash. Like me, I'm a fighter, I'm a competitor. So you know now I'm redirecting.
Speaker 1: That into books and my career and endeavors.
Speaker 2: I just I find myself, you know, trying to find techniques to channel that energy, to channel that aggression, you know, and not on the people.
Speaker 4: That love me, because you know you want them to feel your love, not your pain, right, And so it's going to be important for you to be able to work within yourself to figure out why the pain is lingering, like what is actually feeding the painting for it to still continue into today? And then you know, hope help yourself to transition, you know, from the pain by working through it, not just channeling it into this gorgeous empire that is Malik Books, but also you know, being able to actually work through the pain, like seeing yourself through it, and that way you would live the next decades of your life feeling more at ease, more peaceful, and like your relationships are more fulfilling because they have more love at the center than they would like some of that pain that you know can be there.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to thank you. I didn't anticipate yea, look at this boy. She dropped some gems on me. So thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: And I know my audience didn't got something I did. Dope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it. I love it. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Malik's bookshelf with topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community.
Speaker 1: Be sure to such and leave me a review. Check out my instagram at Maleak Books. See you next time.