Speaker 1: Suns on thirty fifth is next doors open on the left. How's it going? Everybody is well?
Speaker 2: I guess while he gets that figured out, Nick, welcome back.
Speaker 3: How are you yeah? Doing well?
Speaker 4: Been a busy couple of weeks, but it's been nice that the White Sauce are still relevant into June. Not what I was expecting. So yeah, not not too bad all things since there?
Speaker 3: How about you?
Speaker 5: Fine?
Speaker 6: I guess frustrated like I don't. It's it's so funny as we start to have these conversations and we start to figure out, you know, to your point, like they're still relevant in June. We're still going through that process. But I I'm trying to gauge against like, oh, they are relevant in June and they weren't supposed to be and everything that goes along with that. So I don't know, Like I don't know how to feel about things. It's frustrating, right, Like it's frustrating to half weeks like this, where you can play Minnesota, play Philadelphia and it goes fine relative to maybe your original season expectations, but still aren't good enough long term, so.
Speaker 3: Right, right?
Speaker 4: And I think also the Murakami injury, like everyone's goal right now, These the fans that I talked to, they just want to tread water until he comes back. Hopefully you when he gets back here, still within a few games of five hundred on the downside, worst case, but still, you know, it's frustrating because the offense actually has been pretty decent since he went down, and it's the pitching, as the theme of this episode is the issue right now, So hoping that starts to balance outt a bit more. But the schedule is a meat grinder right now, So the next couple of weeks might be rough, but who knows, maybe we will be surprised.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think at the end of the day, you know, to play they the way they did against.
Speaker 2: Oh look who decided to join.
Speaker 1: Back the life of me?
Speaker 5: Do not understand why my computer just decided to reset the second I started, you know, doing my stick.
Speaker 1: But here we are, I'm I don't know.
Speaker 6: We were doing fines between the two of us, so we were considering not even letting you back in. So we didn't get far though, So if you want to just tell us how you're doing and intro us, go right ahead.
Speaker 5: Okay, I guess I'll just pop in and you know, catch up with where we're at. As you know, Jordan Lasky just fucking bodied me.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 5: I've had a that was a little hectic, but I guess it kind of fits into the fact that I went to Banana Ball yesterday and that was probably the most hectic sporting that I've ever been to.
Speaker 1: But besides that, I'm good.
Speaker 5: Hopefully this recording just keeps on rolling on, But uh, I don't know how.
Speaker 1: You how are you guys doing? I didn't get to hear how you guys are.
Speaker 6: Doing all things consider, we were just kind of baiting the back and forth of like the frustrations of this week, which we'll talk about in the Pitching staff, but also trying to balance it against well, did we even think they were going to be here in the first place?
Speaker 2: So it's hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I mean that's fair enough. Well, I guess I'll just pick up right where we were at.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 5: That is great to hear, gentlemen, We have quite a bit covering this episode, obviously, with the White Sox going four and four in the last eight Before we get started, be sure and suscribed the podcast and Apple, Spotify, YouTube and everyone else to get your podcast. Also sure check out the website sucks on thirty fifth dot com, as I'll following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at socks on thirty fifth.
Speaker 1: Believe that's correct, because.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing that we have gone four and fourth into talking more Kami's injury.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's correct.
Speaker 6: I mean I didn't count the day he got hurt, so four and four, Like, I guess we'll call it that, just putting asterisks there if that's what you want to do.
Speaker 5: But no, I think that's I think that's fair. You know, it's it's one of those tough things, you know. And obviously, Nick, I'll let you kind of jump into this and take the run on it. But so the White Sox scored five point six runs a game gone four and four. I'm sure that runs numbers changed a little bit with the final game on Sunday here, but the team's pitching staff has continued to be an issue. It's something we've been dealing with really all week.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's a bad sign when Brian Hudson's having it has a really bad run, because I think that's a sign that everybody's kind of struggling. But how do you how you've been feeling about what you've been seeing out of the bullpen and the pitching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, Brian Hudson's the guy, but when he allows a run, I'm not even remotely upset for disappointed. It's like you can let in like five runs one of these days if you want, and you've still given so much value to this team that we weren't expecting that. Like you're in the clear, right, So the bullpen kind of is what it is. I mean, obviously Taylor and newcom and then you have Hudson and to Meingaz though the dependable guys. It is a little bit upsetting to see Tyler Davis starting to maybe show some signs that he might not be you know who he was looking like the first month or so, because he was a guy.
Speaker 3: Him coming out to nowhere it was really helpful.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's where Ben People finally gets his chance, Like maybe that's a move that has to happen. But overall, I mean, the starting pitching is to be concerned for me, because there's really not much you can do right now with Noah Schultz injured, Shane Smith injured, Tanner McDougal injured. Hagen Smith may be ready somewhat soon in the last couple of weeks, but he just pitched today on Sunday, so it's not like he's going to be starting against the Braves in that series. So you kind of have to write out the storm a little bit with Fetti and with Kay right now. Obviously Kay has been better this season overall than Fetti, but not by a huge gap. Lease in my opinion, I think Era is a little bit deceiving there. So you kind of have to weather the storm for the next two weeks and maybe hagen Smith joins the rotation in that time, maybe Noah Schultz comes back.
Speaker 3: But for me, the bigger blow is McDougall.
Speaker 4: I think McDougal would have been up like three or four weeks ago had he not gotten hurt, and he was the best picture at Triple A, and I think he's the kind of guy whould have a big impact immediately. So silver lining of that, of course, is when he does get healthy, it'll be nice to see him in the big leagues and I think he could be, you know, actually quite valuable right off the bat. But until then, we just got to kind of deal with it. And just see what happens.
Speaker 6: I guess you know we've talked about this a little bit too, when we've talked kind of the Rays or the Brewer strategy of either bullpen building or rotation building or whatever you want to call it. At a certain point it comes to where you got to switch up the rolodex of pictures again. You have to do something different. You got to try again with a different group. And it almost feels like you're starting to get there again. To your point, Nick, like Tyler Davis is kind of slowing down a little bit, not exactly showing especially over the last fifteen appearances, like what he may have been early on Tyler Gilbert. I continue to wonder how he gets the opportunities. But like I get, I get you have to continue to churn demingas has looked up and down. The only dependable name you've had to for for Will Venable is Grand Taylor.
Speaker 2: And and that's an inning here or there. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I look at it, and I wonder if there's an opportunity to start getting Grant Taylor more innings and like the two or three inning variety again, because this rotation's bad, like it's bad and there's no real reinforcements in sight when you have no Ah Schultz on the injury list right now and you have Tan McDougal still hurt. Hagen Smith might be on the way, but I don't know that there's a lot of different ways they're gonna have to kind of get funky with it. But again, you're gonna you're gonna have to try and get funky with it again, Like you can't continue to churn the same way you've been going because it's it's worked great for a while, but those teams don't just sit on It's time to try the next couple of names.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Now he's muted too.
Speaker 1: I'm just bat in a thousand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's funny because you know, I I started up my computer. I tried, like I uninstalled a bunch of stuff to make it faster. But uh, you know, the thing with this pitching staff right now is like there's not a lot of swinging this stuff over the last over the last week here, and this isn't including Sunday with the Phillies. Just because Baseball Reference love them to death, they're a little bit slow up bringing their stats up, but.
Speaker 1: They do do really good splits.
Speaker 5: We're looking at forty eight strikeouts and twenty two walks in the last six games with for four seven six ERA, forty five hits and fifty one innings credited. That's that's brutal like that, that is very tough to be able to get that out of out of your pitching staff. And it's even more brutal when you consider how well our offense has been been scoring. You know, a guy like Jacin's all comes up. He's been a he's been a really nice hot bat. Colson has had struggles, but obviously he's gotten it going a little bit more as of late. So really the only thing you're really looking at here is you can either you know, stick with it, go part for the course, just hope that this is a slow run, or kind of like you guys are saying, start kind of picking into the minors and bring a guy up and see if you know, somebody can get an opportunity here, because if there is a situation where we're not looking into buying at the deadline, our minor league system has to be utilized in situations like this. Guy like Eric Fetty was somebody that you brought up. Nick as our fifth guy. I think he's probably the least offensive to me right now, just based on he can eat up some innings and he can occasionally have a really good start. That's what you want out of your fifth starter. But when we're looking at the top line of the pitching rotation, we need a lot more.
Speaker 1: We need to be able to get more production out of that.
Speaker 5: And I'm not saying that needs to be a situation where Fetti needs a bigger role or anything. You know, If anything, Fetty's a guy that's gonna be on the outside looking in once we start looking at what our rotation is going to look like for the rest of the season. But we need more from guy like Anthony k just overall across the board. We need our starting rotation, and this isn't an ideal situation, so that's something you want to ask your rotation to do. But we need our starting rotation to protect our bullpen as much as humanly possible because.
Speaker 1: We're just not getting enough outs from them right now.
Speaker 5: Grant Taylor's great. Like Grant Taylor is one of my favorite, it should be a lot of people's favorite relief pitcher in baseball right now, just.
Speaker 1: Because he's absolutely dynamite on the mound.
Speaker 5: We don't want to throw his arm off, Like this isn't a situation where we're gonna have him carry our entire bullpen all season.
Speaker 1: We can't do that.
Speaker 5: We've done in the past with Garak Crochet, Michael Kopek, both scenarios that did not end up well in the long run.
Speaker 1: So we need.
Speaker 5: More from from our back end bullpen guys. We need more guys that can be able to eat innings. Brian Hudson. As as you said, isn't somebody that's gonna offend me if he has a bad game.
Speaker 1: But he needs to.
Speaker 5: He needs to bring it, bring it back to where he was, you know, because that was kind of the big thing, kind of keeping him in such a crucial part of our bullpen. So let's say, so whatever type of rotation I've I've hyped up Ben's Ben people. So I'm gonna continue to do that in every episode until we finally get him up here. Like I said, I don't know if he's just a really fucking weird guy, but at a certain point we need we need guys in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: We need different phases.
Speaker 6: So I think what it comes down to, is what you kind of alluded to the beginning to like, it's it's most frustrating because they're scoring like five or six runs a game, like they're they're playing winning baseball.
Speaker 2: Even against like the Phillies.
Speaker 6: Like, yes, they lost two of three, but their offense should have had them winning at least two, if not all three of them, right, like, Like, that's the frustrating part of it. And I and I think you partially knew that coming in the season. I don't think we were blind to that necessarily, that the off or excuse me, that the pitching would be the issue. The offense could certainly carry the club at times, given the pedigree of some of the names, but it is the break out thing too on top of it. I think that was maybe the thing I like the least about how this group ended up coming together is because there's no swing and miss anywhere outside of Grand Taylor and deming As every now and again, it's that's the frustrating part. So you're going to go through stretches like this. I think that's what it ultimately comes down to. Yes, it's frustrating, Yes it shouldn't be happening. Yes, there were other ways to potentially prevent it. Sure, but you know you're going to go through these stretches with this sort of pitching staff that's built less as your swing and miss type arsenals all the way from one through thirteen. Their ace is We've been debating for weeks now, is this dude, legit Davis Martin with six different pitches. That's just the type of team this is right now, It's going to lead to some pretty good highs and some pretty low lows, unfortunately, as we've seen these past six games or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I agree with you both, but that's also something that I think could radically change between now and maybe even as soon as all Like there's a chance that in August all three of Hagen Smith, Tanner, McDougal and Noah Schultzer in the rotation. I know Sheltz didn't have the most you know, he wasn't like a huge strikeout picture in his early stint in the majors, but I wouldn't be surprised that that becomes who he is more in the long term. Right So, yeah, right now, it's tough because Davis Martin and Sean Burke, they're decent pitchures having good seasons, but they're not like the big strikeout guys, And I understand why the can text your blowpen in the long run, but you might be having the opposite problem with someone like Hagen Smith, who will get the strikeouts to the cows come home, but I'll also walk the bases loaded every now and then, so there's a balance there. But I do think this rotation could look so different by the end of the year that someone like Davis, Martin or Burke might even it might be like a breath of fresh air to have their turn in the rotation and just have someone dependable who can get five or six innings of you know, two run ball in there with relatively low stress.
Speaker 3: At the same time.
Speaker 6: I think that's why we all call it, oh, they're three, four or five starters in the long term, like that's what those types of starters are supposed to be, exactly what you just described. I don't think it's a bad thing. It just becomes a bad thing when those guys have to be your one and two in a rotation like that. That's not what they're made to be, that's not what they're meant to do. And yes, it will look dramatically different with time to come. But at the same time, until you get there, like I said, there are highs and there are lows, and you're going to have to weather them. But again it gets back to Nick, what you and I said at the very beginning, like how do you weigh against None of us expected this team to be competitive in June with Okay, now that they're competitive, why are X, Y and Z things happening? Like there's a reason, there's a rational we can talk through, but it's what level of frustration are you willing to let yourself get to as you try and figure that all out?
Speaker 5: Well, And I think there's a scenario where a lot of the people who've discussed buying at the deadline, and you know, like I've said the past couple episodes, that's not really something I'm prepared to have any sort of opinion on quite yet. Like it's maybe that seems like I'm just dragging my toes here. But if we're going to be in a situation where we think going in trading for somebody at the deadline or trading for arms at the deadline is to benefit the prospects we currently have in this roster as far as trying to get playoff experience, What does it hurt bringing up a guy like Hagen Smith or bringing up a guy like McDougall of getting them just high leverage experience of pitching in ball games that matter, you know what I mean. I feel like it's kind of a similar similar what you're trying to grasp here. But instead of sending these guys out before we get a chance to see him at a major league level, you know, why don't we try to get them onto the major league roster sooner rather than later. I mean, Hagen Smith is a tough one just because of the issues he's had with walks, But over the course of his last couple starts, he's cleaned that up a lot more and he's I believe his last starready had it was uh I think it was nine strikeouts and he ended up having one walk in that game.
Speaker 1: And you gotta be able to find.
Speaker 5: A time where where do you want to continue to just let him build on that, you know, until the end of time, or do we want to just like try to make an aggressive move here with one of our one of our prospects and try to see if he can do it at the major league level. I mean, it's not like we're gonna have any shortage of options with him, So why not take a shot at something like that? And I think that that should have been the mindset with Noah Schultz, with how hot he's with how hot he started in Charlotte in the first place. You know, so if you're gonna kind of have that mindset and you want to try to get new guys up into this rotation because we need new faces, there's no ifans or boughts about it, especially in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: Why not try to get him up here, Just try to get.
Speaker 5: Him experience and see if if in a couple of weeks we're at the deadline and we're sure either sure they're not ready or there's something there where they could be ready here soon and they're moving in the right direction before we decided to make a move with the deadline, you know, kind of know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense. Again, it's just.
Speaker 6: You have you have to be you have to commit to that right, you have to commit to shuffling things up, and now kind of presents an okay time to do it. Like they're not playing great baseball. The bullpen has not looked great. There's only so much you can do about stunning rotation and its injuries and you know, figuring guys out from that perspective, but only these bullpen names.
Speaker 2: You need to continue to turn them.
Speaker 6: If Tyler Davis isn't working out anymore, you've got to move on like that. That's just how this is going to have to be at this point.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I mean, kind of getting away from pitching a little bit, because honestly, we could probably do an entire episode just based on, you know, breaking down how bad every single every single pitcher in the rotate or in the bullpen's been. I mean, I just I guess I'm just glad when I don't have to see Jordan Hicks and just get constantly frustrated with, oh my god, look how well it pitch moves and look how fucking much he misses the strike zone.
Speaker 1: That doesn't look good. Guy that people have been talking about.
Speaker 5: And this kind of goes into people who have stepped up in the absence of Mutaka Murakamila Montgomery. He's on a on a colder streak right now. I said it kind of at the top of the episode. That I think he has stepped in and kind of like kept power in the lineup. I believe he homered in Philly on Saturday. I want to say I think I was actually a back to back with Gonzalez. I'm not sure. I was at Banana BA on Saturday, so I was just kind of getting stuff on the on the fly from there. But Colson just has a really bad time to get cold, of all times. But it had to have been. It was kind of an inevitability. You know, col S Montgomery wasn't gonna stay hot all season. He's gonna have cold streaks. He's still a very young baseball player. I guess how worried and Nick, I'll let you jump right into this. How worried are you about Cols Montgomery right now? Is there something you you think this is something that's going to be enormed? Do you think he's just on a cold streak? Like, where where are we at with this lineup right now? With Cols Montgomery kind of being our power bat in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of it, and worried at all about him?
Speaker 4: I do think that on this the ideal version of the twenty twenty six wide socks. I do think he profiles more as like a fifth or six hitter than like the three or four guys. Maybe that's where some of the issue comes in, Like in a perfect world, Kyle's heal would be somewhere one through four, and that might bum Montgomery down, which is in my opinion, But this is kind of just who he is, right. I feel like we've all accepted that he as of you know, Mer two, he's an extremely valuable defensive shortstop who on offense will hit you know, I mean what he has like thirty seven or something career home runs already. He is not even a one hundred sixty two games, So clearly we kind of know who he is. And he had an interview a month or so ago where he talked about his hitting approach, and I thought it was interesting, because every hitter is going to have some sort of a approach at the play, general approach at to play, like right, whether it's sitting on a specific pitch like sitting fastball, sitting on a specific location, maybe some mix of both. He kind of made it clear in the interview that he he adjusts by the pitcher, but he's basically looking in particular spot and for a particular pitch depending on the situation, and that would explain why he has a lot of home runs, but also flame white swings and missus a louder might strike out looking sometimes. So it's a frustrating approach when it's not working well, when you have a runner on third and then one out and you need you know, a sack fly or a ground out or something. You just don't want to strike out. Essentially, that's where it's frustrating, because you want him to just put the ball in play, which, to his credit, he had a couple in the Philadelphia series where he had like an RBI single or you know, advanced to runner that kind of thing. So I get why people are frustrated with him because you see him, you know, not come through in those moments. But I don't get why anyone will be worried about his future or anything like that. But he's still having a very good season and this is kind of.
Speaker 1: Who he is.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: If you're a shortstop and you're going to hit you know, a forty plus home run pace per season with great defense, I'm not going to say anything negative about you. Like that's insanely valuable, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was quite the Banner Week for some of the Montgomery headlines, and I'll kind of leave it at that in terms of how in depth like O. But that's when you say, like, we've all accepted that. Yeah, we have, and I think we've talked about it before, but I assume the larger White Sox community has not. And that's where this comes in, where where I get some of the frustrations. He's pretty brutal. I'm pretty brutal. Is not fair. He has about a seven hundred career ops with runners in scoring position. That's okay, but I can understand why, Hey, if he's going to hit four in a lineup, you'd want that to be better. I do get where people are coming from from that standpoint. You knew he was going to be a high strikeout guy. You knew he was gonna walk at a pretty good clip. Nothing crazy. I never like any of the body language shit that really bothers me. I'm never a big fan of that, but like parts of it I get, but also parts of it I don't get because I'm like, you know, what the profile is, right, Like theoretically, if he walked more, if he hit a little bit more average for a little bit more average.
Speaker 2: Sure, like, yes, but that's not.
Speaker 6: The type of player that you have here, which you have is still a very valuable player who does need to deliver more with guys on base. I'm not disagreeing with that concept, but I feel like maybe that particular point got taken and then everyone was like, well, I also have this complaint or that complaint. It's like, no, like, we've taken one valid complaint about Rundisson scoring position, and we've now blown this up to be anything I don't like about the current iteration of the team or Cools Montgomery or things like that.
Speaker 2: No, you took it a step too far there. So I don't know.
Speaker 6: It worries not the thing maybe you'd like to see. We've talked about this so many times. You'd like to see someone of those backside base hits right, just staying a little bit more on the ball, through the ball, through contact, right, Like those things that aren't exactly sexy at the end of the day, but they play to his profile a little bit better in terms of you can live it a little bit more swing and miss when you do those two. But I don't know, it's fun to have these conversations again because like, clearly people are paying attention, but you're taking these micro I guess I'll say small sample sizes is basically what I was trying to say. You're taking these week to week small sample size and you're like, he's great, he sucks. He's great, he sucks, And that's probably what his career is going to be based on what we've seen so far.
Speaker 5: So I'm not trying to do huge callback here, but I do remember us having a discussion last year about Coles Montgomery when he was kind of having this power surge, specifically caused by the inhabit the Chicago Cubs, and again, we all thank him for that, but when he was starting to really match the baseball we were kind of, we're kind of taking aback because that wasn't necessarily part of his profile, but it was something that he was doing really well. So the White Sox continued to have him just try to hit white Tower power type of home.
Speaker 1: Runs, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And it's something that up to this points worked insanely well. It's something that can continue to work insanely while moving forward, but it's it kind of people shouldn't have been convinced that Colson Montgomery was a complete player just by the end of last year, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And he was not a.
Speaker 5: Complete complete player just because he continued to have a pretty good start to this season. He's still a guy that's developing and learning who he is as a baseball player, especially in the batter's box. I had to pull this up, So I did pull this up on the fly. But this is something I was looking at on Thursday. Colson Montgomery this season. It actually comes down to a very simple thing. He's struggling against a slider and he was destroying sliders last year. I'm not entirely sure if that comes with his approach or what he's being asked to do on an at bat to at that basis, I don't know if he's being asked to be more of a power beat and trying to focus more on just getting fastballs and trying to crush him when he's seeing that. I don't know what that coaching side it looks like. But let's just take a comparison here. So last season against sliders, Colson Montgomery was hitting three forty five and slugging ninety sixty six. This season, he's hitting one fifty four and slugging four to twenty three. And this isn't some like, oh small sample size compared to big sample size. He's faced one hundred nineteen sliders this season. He faced one hundred and forty sliders last season. Now, I can't say for sure who these sliders are being thrown by, if they're being thrown by lefty arms or righty arms. But what I'm kind of seeing here is based on what his approach is at the plate and kind of seeing the pitches that he's probably being told to focus on or you know, he's focusing on. Personally, it's turning into him just not hitting sliders very well. Because he's done it very well in the past. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt that Colson Montgomery can crush some sliders, but right now this season, it's not currently happening. And kind of where I've been with Colson this season is is you know, waiting for him to take that next step of being a more complete hitter in the in the in the box.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 5: Explains a lot of it, is he's not He's really struggling at the slider right now, and that's something that's gonna have to be a point of emphasis for and moving forward.
Speaker 6: One thing I think about too when we have this conversation, completely unrelated but kind of related. It's why I think, and maybe I'm still wrong, why I think Kyle Teal will be the more complete hitter of this group. It's still probably my personal favorite. Vargas has come a long way since I said that early in this season, so I might have to play second fiddle to him when making that country. But I think initially the conversation was Teal versus Montcomer, and I think that's still why Teal might just I think, be better long term. It's not that Montgomery is bad. It's not that he doesn't have a very very, very very high ceiling. It's just more so the well rounded piece of it. To me, to hey, to your point, Duke, if he starts to hit breaking balls a little bit better, or he starts to cut down on the striker right just a bit, we're talking twenty five percent instead of thirty percent, Like those are how you become a more complete hitter. I mean, at the end of the day, he's still not even a year in a big league service time, like he's got half of last year and half of almost half of this year, so we're almost coming up on a year, which is crazy to say about a guy who's had as much time or not had as much time, but had as much conversations given the amount of time he's had in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 6: Again I go, I go back and forth on it all, but I think I know the conversations around it are overblown. What I go back and forth on is like, what's the final product of version of Colson Montgomery? And if it is this, you're gonna have to be okay with it? Is kind of how I'm viewing it right now, because it's still a very, very very valuable baseball player just defense alone, plus what power.
Speaker 3: He gives you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's like, like you said, it's been almost a year now and a thick strikeout rate comment is valid for me, Like, what's the end product going to look?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: I would be totally fine if it's this current version of him. Ideally with a couple more personage points toat hunder the walk rate, like a low double legit walk rate would be better for him. Maybe that comes like with Duke was saying from better identifying the slider and laying off when it's coming down and in on him that.
Speaker 3: Kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But overall, we're still talking about a shortstop who, as I just chat, his fifth in baseball and war among shortstops for on Fangraphs, So like we're really I understand why we're talking about it, but it's like, he's a great player, So I'm not upset at all by the performance. And again I can accept that he's gonna have frustrating at bats. It's just the kind of profile that he is. And maybe that's why it's unfair that he's the clean up pinner. Maybe that's not his role or shouldn't be his role, And that's okay because he's still a great player. So I think we've we've talked about Colson from such a negative lench, like negative framing, even though I know the three of us all agree that he's he's pretty great.
Speaker 3: So it's just been strange to see the vitriol for him.
Speaker 6: I guess it is, and I maybe it is because of the role he has to play right now with mooning out, and you know, this team probably still missing one more true middle of the lineup threat like maybe he is a sixth in the order hitter instead of a four that's fine, but this this team's missing two bats right now, one is hurt or both. I heard Marikami and Teal, So it's like, does he still hit three, four, five, and the best versions of this lineup?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe he does hit six and maybe that changes the conversation.
Speaker 6: Again, I don't know. We've We've done this with hitters in the past too. I forget who we've talked. It's like maybe Moncata is one of them, or like we've gone through so many hitters. It's like, for some reason and not for some reason, I kind of get it. There's these conversations about based on where this guy is hitting in the lineup, the expectations and the conversations around this player change versus just, hey, taking him as a two and a half win ball player through two months of the season and just viewing it from that lens. I think again, with the conversations around like runners and scoring position, things like that, I think if everyone views him through the lens of a four hitter or a three hitter, maybe that's how the conversations happen. But again, it's what does this team look like at full strength when they're really actually entering a season planning to compete. If he's still hitting four, okay, let's have that conversation then. But if not, like, how much does it matter?
Speaker 5: Is what it comes down to, I think, And honestly, I think having this conversation is a really good problem to have. I mean, it shows that Colson's shown heights where these expectations are starting to like kind of come across within the fan base, you know. I mean there were discussions when he was kind of on his hot streak there last month of him being one of the best short steps baseball.
Speaker 1: I mean, and that is part of it too.
Speaker 5: He plays such a premier position, you know, but people have to kind of temper their expectations. And remember, like we didn't sign we didn't sign him as a twenty eight year old established shortstop that we're paying three hundred million dollars to. This is a guy who at points last year we're scared that he was going to be able to hit major league in Major League baseball at all. You know, like every people having some meltdowns. My boy, aj Persinski's one of them. But you know, he'd probably be the first to tell you with how Colson's kind of grown, But it's it's a situation where you gotta temper your expectations. Understand that with where we are as an organization right now, we still have a lot of guys that are trying to find their long term role. Colson just happens to fit in his spot right now, especially with munatakamer Kami uh sitting on the shelf right now. So it's a situation where, uh, yeah, it's going to hit a point down the line where we're gonna want to see some of these things in per We're going to want to continue to see him move in the right direction. But I don't think this is so far off of where we thought he was going to be at this point in his career that I need to start being worried about, like him being on a downturn of the development, or him becoming a worse player than we're expecting, and that he's shown to be. So I think it's a lot of people really worried about nothing.
Speaker 6: So I agree with you, guys, that's what it comes down to, just like how far that's the ultimate question. It can be a rhetorical one for this show, but it's the one that listeners have to keep in mind, is how is this version of Colson Montgomery relative to what your expectations were? Like you just said, Duke, it's probably not far off from our expectations internally, and I think we agree between the three of us.
Speaker 2: But that's the ultimate question.
Speaker 6: Fans have to ask themselves, how far off of this is this version from your expectations? And then let's have that conversation about what the expectation was and see how realistic it is. Again, if the version is just this but a little bit better with Runderson scoring position and a little bit better with breaking balls, cool, I think we're on the same page. Then I'm not understanding what all the back and forth is on Twitter. But I still feel like the fact that we've had this conversation and saw it on Twitter enough because if people haven't figured out, like, hey, what you guys talk about on Twitter a lot of times finds its way into these shows.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 6: But it's like the gap feels bigger at least maybe it's a vocal minority.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: But that question that you pose right there, of how is this version compared to what you're expecting of them is really the ultimate one everyone has to answer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's you know, it's a situation where I still feel like, power wise, I think a lot of us should be shocked because it really wasn't a huge thing in its profile moving up, so again that feels more like a bonus. Him becoming a more complete player in the plate is going to be a great thing. But you know, you talk about White Sox Twitter las and bringing up things that are just ridiculous and don't matter. I think this is a good, good, good talking point to get into Jacob Gonzales because as and I'm going to continue to shout him out because he's done the best job of this so far. Pinos calling out people about Jacob Gonzales home runs is my favorite thing on Twitter right now.
Speaker 1: I genuinely just want.
Speaker 5: To say that because there are so many people throughout him getting hot in Charlotte all the way up to the day he was called up, even after he was called up, talking about how this power was just not going to translate to the major league level. He was not going to keep up this hot streak because he's not playing Charlotte anymore. Because every home run you hit in Charlotte doesn't count. As we all know, it's kind of similar to you know, hitting a home running Yankee Stadium. None of those counts, obviously, correct. So Jacob Gonzalez obviously looks pretty damn good for what we all thought about.
Speaker 1: What he was going to be here at this point.
Speaker 5: Lass, I'm not going to just sit here and pick on you just because I just happen to freaking absolutely nail this one. But you know, your opinion of Jacob Gonzalez last year, it was it was the majority, that was the majority. He was such a forgotten prospect in the grand scheme of things. We all thought he was gonna Everyone thought he was going to be just like one of those guys that was gonna sit in the minors, maybe get a call up at some point, and then we were just gonna, you know, come to our senses that like, why are we wasting a roster spot on this guy? And then he just turns into probably the most motivated batter I've seen come up from the minor league roster in a good while. Like, I don't know, if you just just look at his approach and the plate, have you seen a kid come up more focused and like at in a bat like the kids ready to just mash every step of the way. Nick, what do you think about Jacob Gonzales right now and the impact he's bringing to this lineup?
Speaker 4: Well, I like you was starting with me after roasting Jordan, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, remember all this that you did or this is this is this Nick? You talk first?
Speaker 1: I would that's how this works around here.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm fine with it, and I will admit also that I'm I was similar to Jordan's opinion last year. I was basically fully like, yeah, Jake and Gozalez will never play in the Majors with the White Socks, And credit to him, he really changes swing this off season, started in for a lot more power and goes to show me that these first round picks, even if it looks like they're not panning out, they were first rounders for a reason. They have talent. They often have the ability to make adjustments. So he's even if he doesn't have a long term future with the White Socks or something goes wrong with his career, it's still a credit to him that he was able to reinvent himself in this way so far. I mean, he's only been for a week or so, but I have been impressed by his at bats. I think that Michael Suerro did a really good job and his article about Jacob Gonzalez and our website a couple of weeks ago, just talking about how it's a little bit deeper than just like, oh, it's Charlotte, so therefore it's all fake. He really dove more into the numbers and the approach, and after reading the article, I was thinking, Okay, I want to see him in the majors, but I am a little concerned that he's in the swing and miss too much in the zone to be dangerous. Very similar to what we heard about Moracami all off season. And we all see all that's been turning out so far. And Gonzal, Yeah, he's making missus, but he has good at bats, like the quality seems pretty high even when he strikes out. I feel he had a good game plan at the plate. So I have definitely been pleasantly surprised by him so far, to the point where and we'll see, right because Everson Pereira is on a rehab assignment right now, he'll probably be back somewhat soon, although he did get scratched from the Sunday lineup, which.
Speaker 3: Could be good or bad.
Speaker 4: But when he does come back saying it is next at some point next week, I probably would rather see Gonzales stay up and Nishida go down at this point because Gonzales has power that this lineup needs right now in the absence of Murakami. So I just want him to get, you know, regular playing time and have him start pretty much anytime. And it's a handed picture for the next few weeks while Marrakami is injured, to give him more of a chance to show what he really is. But so far, I'm impressed, and it's hard.
Speaker 3: Not to be.
Speaker 6: So understand like why I had the opinion, and I think everybody kind of had the opinion, Like understand why, Like you look back at his minor league numbers, right, had an ops over seven hundred and once at any level, and that was Birmingham in twenty twenty four, had a slugging over four that started with a four. Never so like you needed to do something different or this wasn't gonna happen. And you can see and I think that was the first thing I said when we started seeing videos pop up in Charlotte. I'm like, oh, this actually looks different. This is a tangible difference. It's like, I think it's absolutely your point, Nick, Like, Hey, at a certain point, first rounders first rounder. First rounder doesn't necessarily mean you're a finished product, but first rounder absolutely means like, you have the talent, you have the skill set, you have the hand eye coordination, whatever you want to call it, to make meaningful adjustments.
Speaker 1: And he did.
Speaker 2: And I think that.
Speaker 6: Has been impressive too. It's been impressive just to see those changes translate.
Speaker 2: He hasn't done anything for me.
Speaker 6: It's a profile where it hasn't done anything to be like, oh my god, this absolutely is going to stay. But he probably should, right Like, at the end of the day, there are enough still empty at bats in the lineup in places where it would make sense to continue keep him in the lineup. I'm always surprised they never tried him in the outfield. I don't the fact that they're sticking them in at first base probably says a lot about what they think is athleticism is. But I am surprised they never tried him in the outfield in Charlotte, because that would make this conversation a lot easier unless they're planning to move on from Benintendee and just make Gonzales the DH or just rotate the dhraw. I don't know, but he's done enough to where it absolutely makes sense this roster continues to crunch a little bit, gets a little bit healthier. I'm interested in seeing more personally. I think he's done enough early on, hasn't looked overmatched, can pull the ball out of the ballpark, has been pulling the ball a lot, which is awesome, which I do appreciate things at like a thirty percent poll rate on fly balls, perfect perfect like that, That's what you want out of a left handed hitter in Chicago. And he'll also go backside with a couple of base hits every now and then. If he can continue to balance that, yeah, let's let's absolutely keep him here and continue to see what he can do well.
Speaker 5: And he's even pulling really well just on foul balls, like just being able to you know, anytime he's pulling the ball and he's getting a good piece of it, even if it's not staying within the line, he's getting a really good run on it in the foul territory. Honestly, I'm still kind of trying to make sense of him playing first base. I feel like that's more of a Vargas has earned the right to be the full time third baseman discussion more than it is that. I don't think he's ever been a guy you'd ever want to see in center field per se. I'm not entirely sure how how the White Sox continue to move around with that, because first base does not feel like a permanent position. He's got a little bit more athleticism than what a typical first baseman would be. I mean, whenever we watch the game, does he not stick out like a sore thumb out there like at first base? Just by looking at him, not like defensively, it looks off. So hopefully that's something that we start being able to kind of move him to different positions once Moonataca makes that return, because I think so far his bat's done enough to say that he should be able to stick around once Moonataka Murcimi comes back. Obviously you're gonna have more of those difficult roster discussions. Andrew ben Attende is always the name that comes up. As I made a very strong point of on Twitter, it's almost like he is just like an inhabitor of madness and loves it every time somebody tells him that he's going about to be cuttered de fad because then magically he just decides to go absolutely nuclear. Makes absolutely no sense, But it's kind of like the Michael Jordan I took that personally deal. So I mean, if that's what, if that's what we need to do to get Andrew Bantenna to continue hit that's fine. But overall, like I'm not going to do a victory lap on you last, Like I said at the original top of the point, was your opinion of Jacob Gonzalez was not off from the grind and the majority of how people felt about him because he was just kind of a name that was kind of falling into the backside. But you know, when are we going to give some credit to this fucking Campsites guy just for helping develop some freaking hitters down in Charlotte, Because are we are we going to have we have to build him a lab or like what's going on here? Because we're starting to get some guys that are really mashing coming out of the miners and it's kind of kind of mind boggling because this was never the norm before.
Speaker 6: It's actually I remember a conversation we had last year or like Ryan Fuller, like, oh right, maybe maybe you are doing something down there as the director of hitting. Derek Schouman obviously a very positive start for him at the big league level this year. We had this conversation last year, like, are we starting to see that that feeling of what this organization does well flip away from being very pitching dominant and pitching heavy to being very offense heavy. And I think we're getting even closer to that, if not we fully flipped.
Speaker 1: Schultz.
Speaker 6: We talked about with Sean Anderson last week. We talked about on our own good but not great yet. Tan mcdoul has been hurt. Can't really tell. Hagen Smith might have lowered his armslaughted, or it seems like lowering his armslot again might have helped. But you haven't had any bullpen arms really pop up out of nowhere. Davis Martin is probably a win, but Davis Martin's been around forever. I was gonna say Davis Martin and Sean Burke are guys that Rick Han drafted and got the process started to the big leagues. That was before Bannister and all of them too. So I don't know, it's at least at this point where like you can make a convincing argument that this is absolutely flipped in at least the recent memory for this, and I think it echoes some of the conversations we started this kind of this podcast with with man, You're you're going toe to toe with a team like the Phillies. Yes, they've had their struggles, but they're still above five hundred and your pitching just can't keep you in ball games the way that your offense can. That that's a credit to everyone in the hitting department that might be taking over what we thought was a pitching dominant organization.
Speaker 5: Yeah, certainly, I think it's It's definitely it's something we should pick up on a little bit later in the season, like what we should light it simmer, but we should continue to keep an eye on what side of the what like what side of the coin are we developing better? Obviously right now it looks like it's hitting, But you know what is what is Noah Schultz turn this season into what does Hagen Smith look like?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: Long term? If we can get mcdougle onto the Major League roster, see what he can do.
Speaker 5: That's something to definitely keep an eye on moving forward. So Chris Gats and we discussed this a little bit, just a little bit about deadline early on, and we can kind of cover it here again. Chris Gatz continues double down on this team, saying that if this team keeps this current trajectory, uh, ignoring the fact we just lost you series in a row, he would look to make some sort of additions at the deadline. Give me something, what do you like? What what do you think outside of you know, aiming for the moon and trading for freaking top level pitching on the on the market. What what does a trade deadline look like for the White Sox if we're if we're continuing at this pace that we're at right now, I.
Speaker 6: Think it's more interesting to consider who would go. I think that's where it may make the most sense tic this conversation. I think we've talked about like, yes, pitching, pitching, pitching, dot but who would you realistically be willing to move from the scene because you're not getting pitching for free. I've seen Billy Carlson's name thrown a lot around a lot by Socks fans. I don't know if Jacob Gonzalez becomes a name you throw around simply because where does he fit. It's it's not that he isn't good, but hey, once Marcami gets healthy, are you ready to pull the plug on ben in Tender? You're not, because if you're not, I don't know how you're putting him out.
Speaker 2: There every day.
Speaker 6: Like it's let's just say he's hitting at least two fifty with a seven fifty ops or something like that. That's probably too good to send back to Charlotte. But the bats don't exist here, so where are you planning to put him? Those are two names that pop up to me just immediately. I don't know how much they're going to be willing to move, or how much either of them would command in return, but like I said, it's definitely more interesting to start thinking about who you might be willing to move rather than you know, who are they going to get, because that's still a little far off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree that the infield glut is what makes sense to trade from Billy Carlson. I mean, I know he's probably what like nineteen or something, so if you're going to trade him, you might not. You have to get somebody with control who you think is a higher on talent, right, I wouldn't trade him for like out of one or two years of control. That being said, I wouldn't trade bonham Er either, because this team is still like five hundred ish, So I don't think you should be trading the prospectors that good. So that puts you in the sweet spot of yeah, that the Jacobugnzalez types or the William Bargoio juniors. I mean, he's been injured for like a month or so, but guys who were in Triple A or the majors who have, you know, good stats and might project well. But to grmerally have a space on this team. I mean we all agree. I mean Montgomery, like I said, he the top five short stops so far this year. You're not getting rid of him anytime soon. Vargas obviously has been a revelation Murakami, I hope to have long term. And then at second base slash left field, both my draft and Antonacci have been very solid players. And I don't think we'll only put it this. I think I think the fan base, which for whatever reason, has been trying to get rid of Chase, my draft will take his job away like all season finally in the last few weeks of reals. Hey, he's actually a good player too, He's.
Speaker 3: Just not like a flashy guy or whatever.
Speaker 4: So yeah, most of yeah, that goes a year or two from now, But for right now now, I don't see, to Jordan's point, where Gonzalez is playing unless there's an injury or if you're taking out bats away from benin Tendi, which I don't think the team is going to do anytime soon.
Speaker 3: So he's the most logical candidate.
Speaker 4: And if he can continue hitting well obviously smallest sample to be hits well, you might actually have some real value to where you can get like a starting pitcher for him rather than just a rental or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I do wonder if they trade my draft.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be honest, I I could see it in a world. Let's just say, Jake Gonzalez looks really good. He's a middle endfielder. By trade, you could probably teach him second base. He might have a power potential if he can walk enough that my draft doesn't like we've talked about before with Antonachi and my draft and Nashida Times.
Speaker 2: How many of these.
Speaker 6: Guys can you have in a lineup that all kind of do the same thing. You can really only have one, maybe two of them long term.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 6: I would maybe add him to the say it sounds weird, it sounds funky, and it's not because I think he saw or like to to your point about the fan base neck like, he's a very good baseball player.
Speaker 2: It just might not be what they need. It might be more.
Speaker 6: So like I don't think Antonaci's a left fielder moving forward, Like the defensive metrics haven't been kind to him, And I get granted that's a guy learning a position, but I just don't know. Maybe maybe this season, yes, but kind of see what it looks like long term.
Speaker 2: Does that leave a spot for my draft?
Speaker 6: I think we've all kind of said it's either Antonaci or my draft, like in terms of who plays that role in the lineup, maybe both do long term, but I don't know i'd put him on there. If Gonzales looks so good, you're like, eh, I don't know if I want to trade him, But also I might want to put him in future plans where maybe he had not been there before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really quick too, because it's sorry, sorry to not let he's jump in yet. But just one thing that Len benefits my draft is that he's a right hand to hit her would is a bit ironic because the old White Sox had the opposite problem. But if you take him out of the lineup, it's so left handed heavy that the team throws the lessie against him. Is okay, great, we lost the game already, let's move on. So I'm not saying you can't trade him.
Speaker 3: But it helps.
Speaker 2: No, it's a valid point. It is something that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know if I have a good that's that's a valid point that that is absolutely something you have to consider with this.
Speaker 5: So I'm probably gonna have the most unlikable, boring, lame answer possible here.
Speaker 3: Nobody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm actually no, I'm actually there. I am not out on any of these prospects yet. I have not seen one of these prospects throughout the minor leagues offend me to the point where I'm ready to move on from him. And I'm like, I always get told by one of my coworkers when I talk sports that he has to tell me he doesn't he doesn't just get a rise out of me. But he has to tell me that, like, you're not a general manager. You're fucking a guy that sits at home and watches the game drink. And it's like, yeah, okay, I get it. But like, my my entire stance, and this goes across all sports, is like I want to accumulate so many assets and see what I can make out of what I already have, and I want to be so sure that when I make that a great when I make that move to like bring in like established players and make a run, that I'm one hundred percent I'm one hundred percent sure about what I have. I'm one hundred percent sure about what I'm sending out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm maybe I'm sending out a player that I'm not as high on that the rest of baseball.
Speaker 1: Is really high on, you know.
Speaker 5: And I'm just trying to work with the deal as much as humanly possible. And I think at the absolute earliest we look at.
Speaker 1: This in the offseason.
Speaker 5: I think you go into winter meetings and you take a little bit more of a look at who's available on the trade market. Uh, you see what free agent bats look like, you look at what free agent starting pitching looks like. You kind of take a look at the entire and see where you're at, and then you start to, uh, you know, self evaluate what you have in this farm, and then you kind of dictate who you feel comfortable with trading and who you want to start kind of uh, you know, kind of hanging out in trades and whatnot.
Speaker 1: I'm just not there this season. This season's been.
Speaker 5: A lot of fun early on. I'm really excited with where the team's going. I think there's a lot of potential here, and you know, I don't think it's completely outside their own possibility. We can make playoffs this year in a wild card or maybe we even see you can get the Central But I am not in a situation where I'm willing to.
Speaker 1: Open that window too early because I still feel like it's too early.
Speaker 5: We I still feel like I need to know who some of these players are before I'm willing to just jump into that. I know this is this is the lame answer. This is the answer nobody wants to hear. It's it's it's everybody hates it because everybody wants, you know, everyone wants to look at the idea of well, if you have the opportunity to win, you got to go try to do it. It's like, yeah, and that's how you turn into the fucking Baltimore Orioles. And I don't want to do that. I want to hit a situation where what we finally know what we have at our core one hundred percent, what we're comfortable with, who we can pay to keep, and then, like I'm talking, we can get as aggressive as humanly possible, trade a shit ton of our farm to get the players we need to make a run, and then actually seriously make a run. And we're not in a situation like before twenty twenty with the White Sox, where we decide to go spend in free agency and then we've given up so much of what we already have that once we realize that our core is not our core, we're completely fucked.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, they didn't have anything.
Speaker 6: Here's the concern with this. Here's the concern with this. And it's not like on the surface, it's not all this is wrong. It's more so like do you ever know for one hundred percent sure what you have like that that that's part of the problem for me, Like you have to do your best, guess like you, that's why projections, that's why analytics exist. Like that, you're doing your best shot at it. I don't think where that falls short for this team historically is when you wait too long, and you wait too long and you don't make the move, and that you don't make the move, and now you're dumping Louise Robert for Louisan Helocunya. Who fine, I get it, but that's Louis on Helocunya. Is not the trade packages White Sox fans were putting together for Louise Robert three years ago, right, So you have to wait against that. I don't think you need to make any splash moves necessarily. I think we're probably all in agreement there. But I also think about from the flip side, what message it sends to this group to be like, no, no, no, you guys just go out there. We're playing with house money. We're not doing nothing. You guys go figure out. Like at a certain point, you have to show the group, even if it's a small thing, that you believe in them and are willing to go a little bit of an extra mile to help this crew out. I think it's a bad look to send. If you just don't do anything and you say, well, we're schedule and we don't really care what happens here. I mean, you wouldn't say it in those words, but that's how the players would view it.
Speaker 2: You see it.
Speaker 6: Every year when really good teams don't invest at the trade deadline the way they should. You see a comment or two come out where they're like, yeah, I guess this and this and this about the front office, but we'll do what we have, what we've got, like we're confident in ourselves as players. Since the players saying it, not the front office saying it, that's what you have to balance against it. Because he's done such a good job, he being venable, creating such a good culture, you have to make sure you don't screw it by not making a strategic addition here or there. Again, you don't want to give up a perennial All Star for a two year rental pitcher. But I do think that based on what this team's done previously, at least on the trade market, like it's been a lot of either win wins or lose lose, Like there hasn't been a lot of They've got absolutely fleeced in a deal because they were idiots who didn't know what they had. I mean thinking about like the Christian main A deal where everyone freaked out about that. I think he's getting sold shoulder surgery and hasn't really pitched all that much. Yeah, they got Dominic Fletcher, But at the same time, that's one of.
Speaker 2: Those where it's like.
Speaker 6: I generally feel good that they know what they have, even if it's not Duke to your point, like one hundred percent sure, I just don't know if you have the luxury of that at the same time, because you could sell high now on like a Billy Carlson, and maybe Billy Carlson never puts him an ops over seven to fifty in his career, but someone else.
Speaker 2: Believes he could.
Speaker 6: So it's that is just such a hard balance though to strike. I don't think there's a right answer to this either way at the same.
Speaker 5: Time, so I guess in your everything you said right there was correct. I definitely see both sides of it. The one thing, like the one that will always stick in my craw is how much the A's loved Andrew Vaughn and how badly I wanted us to swing a deal to get Shay Langliers to Chicago just based on what the fuck he's doing now. I've been god, I was such a huge h Angliers fan, So like, I see that end of it too, of holding on too long, because look at what the hell Andrew Baugh got us. Like I had to go to Miller Park and see a banner of Andrew vaugh and that shit made me disgusted. So it was it was really hard to stomach that. So, like, I see both sides of it. I guess biggest thing, Like with where we are right now, my ideal, uh, my ideal thing would be bringing in as many of these top well producing prospects that have worked well in the minors into camp into spring training this upcoming year as we can and seeing what the hell competition can bring out of some of these guys. And then once we kind of have an idea of seeing these guys compete day to day during the spring and seeing, you know, kind of seeing what we have hands on against some form of.
Speaker 1: MLB type talent.
Speaker 5: I think, then you go into next year, maybe that's when you would feel That's when I would feel a little bit better going into the deadline and possibly making a move or then going into that following off season and then really just going all the way in. I just I want to see what these guys that are doing well in the minors can do at a major league camp or with a you know, even a triple A opportunity. The Billy Carlson thing does keep me a little bit nervous, but I guess it really shouldn't, considering the White Sox are so dead set on guys playing the positions they were drafted to play like that is one thing that drives me absolutely nuts about this about our minor league system, about not giving a short a guy who's drafted as a shortstop opportunities in the outfield, because like, if we're drowning of any part of the prospect, but we're drowning in the outfield, why do we not have more infielders in our minor league system playing in the outfield to at least see what we have? That drives me nuts. But taking that into account, I guess yes, I would be a little bit more. I'd be a lot more less hesitant to make a move knowing that's how we're operating. But I mean, to your guys point, like you said earlier, Las like, why is a guy like Jakemignzalis not getting reps in the outfield, knowing damn well, how badly we need outfield that, you know, So if that's how we're going to maneuver, that'd probably be my biggest That's my biggest gripe with Gets. The way he's done this so far is not trying to get these guys playing other positions. But yeah, I guess I'm still to fully answer my question. I'm still on the side of I want to see what these guys are bring him into camp next year, Give these guys direct competition, see what they can do against some major league level pitching or you know, how they can pitch against major league level hitting, you know, quote unquote with a spring training roster, but a you know, forty man roster, and then kind of go from there. And then I think going into the deadline next year, if everything's looking good and we don't have to worry about any prospects completely you know, tanking completely, and then we have to look into our project pool to see if we can find another cornerstone.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they start making moves at next year's deadline. I just I like to be sure, and I like to I'd just like to have a little bit more tape on our prospect system than we currently have, because how does a Jacob Gonzalez come out of nowhere? You know, he could have easily been traded for nothing last season, you know what I mean, And by having him in the major minor league system in this season, yes, he does have a lot of trade mail you now because of what he's shown.
Speaker 6: I actually like this comment I just put up from our YouTube chat for those who are listening after the fact we are lying.
Speaker 1: That is actually a very good comment. I like it.
Speaker 6: I am I will read it to those who might be just listening to the podcast. You have to be sustainable enough to be able to make mistakes and take risks, and I think that's where.
Speaker 2: I think Chris guests can still.
Speaker 6: Do something with that this this trade de line, Like he doesn't have to go over the moon and trade the farm for this crew, but you do have to show the guys you have on the field that you have enough belief in them to say that, you know, we want to see what you guys can do when the pressure is still on. Heading towards September, October, Like, I think you can do that in a nice enough way to where you take a calculator risk. I think what this person was getting at. Yeah, like I said, to those who are listening after the fact, or listening on Spotify or Apple Music whatever, like we're live on Sunday, so you can start throwing your comments in here too, and we'll start talking about them too. So, thinking to those who were doing it today, I thought that was a great one as we were kind of getting close to wrapping here.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 6: You know, I've learned a thing or two about this, you know, having a fill in his host every now and again. I got some good plugs here who has responsibilities to be able to pull this one up. I was just about to say Joe's and about us losing us Montini losing in the playoffs is not going to be pulled up on the screen.
Speaker 2: Well time someone else here is allowed to do it.
Speaker 5: Except to the folks listening at home.
Speaker 1: Uh socks.
Speaker 5: On thirty fifth own, Joe has commented, and I want to make sure that everybody listening to this on a podcast somewhere can can make sure they're taking this all don should be Should we be worried about the lads lab at Motini. My sources to say, another playoff loss has the fans a little restless.
Speaker 6: Your sources are your sources are off. I don't know where you're getting that from. The things are great over the good old Montini. No, just that's always a bad end of the year, right, But all right, We've got to.
Speaker 5: See a little long this episode, but I think overall covered quite a bit here.
Speaker 1: It's nice to have the band back together.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that got caught in my freaking intro before I got, you know, completely nuked, But regardless, ladies and gentlemen, that's all we have this week for the Socks on thirty fifth podcast. Be sure it subscribed to the podcast, Apple, Spotify, YouTube and anywhere else in your podcast, I'll sure to pop one I've stream on YouTube to definitely leave some comments about laz.
Speaker 1: We always appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Also, sure check out the website socks on thirty fifth dot com, as well as following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at socks on thirty fifth six Date with the Old Chica White Sox. To make you feel better, lads, Honestly, I'm surprised I have not gotten more flag from uh socks Twitter in these comments yet, so it's it'll be evened out.
Speaker 1: I guarantee it. This has been due Cofflin joined by Jordan Lezowski and Nick Auor.
Speaker 5: We'll be back as we cover another week of White Sox baseball.
Speaker 1: We'll be back soon, sooner than you think. Thank you and go Socks