Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Sunday, June fifteenth. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ and your Sunday Morning Run where we talk about our quotes of the day for the week, hoping that it will help you reflect on what the week was and how you're starting your new week on this Sunday. And so we will begin with our first quote of the day for our week. TJ, don't ruin a good day today by thinking about a bad yesterday. Let it go. I know you especially liked this one.
Speaker 2: I mean, so, why are that the simplest things are sometimes the hardest things to do. That is so simple, just figured about what happened yesterday? Move on. Why can't we do that?
Speaker 1: Oh we're dwelling on it, overthinking it, and it's just and it ruins the present. It really takes away any joy or anything you could be getting out of the right now because you can't let go of what happened yesterday or last week or last year. It really can weigh us down for years.
Speaker 2: I am one of your I've told the story in front of you before. It was one of the books you gave me, I can't. It's either Michael Singer or it's totally But the example that was used about walking down the street and you notice a baby and a stroller and being pushed, and you all pass each other on the street and you see that baby, go o, am I going to It's such a cute kid. Da da da da. The baby passes you, gets ten feet away, twenty feet away. Everybody you're walking away from each other. You don't think about that baby. Again, that was used as an example of why is that not how you treat a problem, a confrontation, an issue, or even yesterday you just went past it. You're getting more and more distance from it. Why are you still thinking about it? That I've used that as an example. You just have to let stuff go. But it is difficult, it is a challenge to do in practice.
Speaker 1: Yes, I believe it was see I can't remember it was Eckhart tool or Michael Saker who said, there are no problems. There are just situations that need to be addressed. And if you can look at that, even something that happened yesterday, instead of having an emotional attachment to it, if you can just step back and say this is just an issue that needs to be addressed, and either you can address it now or you can't. And if you can't address it now, you got to let it go. So don't ruin a good today by thinking about a bad yesterday. Let it go. Attribution No, In fact, so it's been attributed to so many different people. I was laughing from Hotocopy to Mel Robbins too, like there were just there was no consensus on who originally said it. I think people have said different versions of it. But I liked the way this was worded.
Speaker 2: We should put it out there and attribute it to you or to me, And I mean everybody else is getting credit.
Speaker 1: For it, right, Hey, we just said it, So it's there you go now, Okay, moving on to our next quote of the day, And this is from the files of TJ. Holmes, And this so sounds like you, I don't work for acceptance. I am what I am. If you like it, that's nice. If not, I couldn't care less.
Speaker 2: They I cannot remember where I got this. I love this one. Where did this come from? But I like the end of we We don't work for acceptance. Even we all want to be liked, don't we? Yes, some don't admit that, but we do. We actually do want people to accept us. We want to be a part of a group. We want to be we want to be liked. We just do. That's just human nature. But to embrace this idea, that to acknowledge that, Yep, I want it. But if I don't get it, yeah, with it.
Speaker 1: That's hard.
Speaker 2: That's what a lot of people don't do.
Speaker 1: I believe a lot of people and that includes me. This is a huge, huge area for me that I have got to work on because I believe not only do we want to be liked by everyone, we need to be loved. And if you're constantly looking for or outside reassurance, or you're outsourcing your power by giving, you're literally giving other people the power when you say, if you like me, I'm going to feel good. If you don't like me, I'm going to feel bad. Wow, you give away your power. And I do this all the time. I'm working on it. I see myself doing it. The first step is recognizing, holy crap, i'm doing this. I don't even want to say this. I don't even want to be here, I don't even want to be doing this, but I'm doing all of the above because I want that person to like me.
Speaker 2: Wait, who do you do this for?
Speaker 1: In general?
Speaker 2: Like where because a lot of people are listening to you successful.
Speaker 1: You at work, I can say I did it all the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, in what no, now, in your life, let's take that out of it. In what capacity are you do you find yourself still trying to please and get people to like you and end up putting yourself in a position to do things you don't even want to do for the sake of accepting.
Speaker 1: I'm less in that position now because after the big moment in our lives where everything changed and so we were, I had a much bigger group of friends. I obviously had a big job with a lot of people I worked with and for, and with all of those people, I was creating a bubble, almost an insular bubble, for myself. So I always had people who I knew would be there, or would be around, or would be able to like. And I was trying to protect myself from actually having to feel scared and secure alone all of those things. And now that that all imploded and exploded, yes, I'm in a much better position. I don't think I do that as much anymore. But I still want to remember that I did and remember why I did that, so I can continue to grow. And this sounds so cheesy, but you have to like yourself. You have to love yourself. And if you can like yourself and love yourself, and some of that comes with creating boundaries and to not do things you don't want to do, then you start to like yourself. You start to respect yourself then and guess what, everything else flows from there.
Speaker 2: All right, take that with you, folks. I don't work for acceptance. I am what I am. If you like it, that's nice. If not, I couldn't care less. Wednesday quote, you went back to Aristotle for this one.
Speaker 1: I always like to go way back for one of the quotes of the week, just because it's fun to recognize that it didn't matter what time in the world you were born, we're all facing and dealing with the same shit. So Aristotle said this, we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. That's empowering, because if we choose excellence and we choose to be the best we can be, and we do that often and with intention, it will just become a habit, and it will create the excellence you're seeking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's never I think we see the finished product too often with people these days and their success or even being excellent at whatever they might be doing, and we we do we think, Okay, that just happened in front of me, and what we're seeing is repetition over a long period of time. Just put in a public form, because people who are performing in front of us, who are doing anything excellent, the number of times they had to screw it up somewhere else in private, the number of years it takes to achieve something like that is incredible. And yeah, it does. It does become a habit that could be in a talent you have. You can have excellence in how you interact with people. You can be excellent and being kind because that's a habit as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been trying to be excellent in not raising my voice. I fail still, but I'm trying to repeatedly remind myself certain things. I actually always feel like so much of life can be summed up. When you're training for a marathon. I think about this too. You know, when you create a habit, you say, I'm going to get up and run four times a week regardless, and then you find yourself being able to do remarkable things, excellent things. I never thought I could run a marathon. But when you get up and you repeatedly work at something, and you choose it, and you choose excellent, all of a sudden miracles can happen. So I love this empowering quote from Aristotle. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but it happens. Our next quote came from a very successful businessman and visionary, Henry Ford of the Ford Motor Company. Love this one. Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. The power of our thoughts is real, and it can be used for good and it can be used for bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't think you can do that thing. You're right, you can't. That's true because that's what you just told yourself. Congratulations, self fulfillment prophecy. You can't do that thing, all right, let's move on. Well, if you told yourself you can't, you know you're right as well. That's you actually can't. That's the very simple Some of these quotes are plucked out, they're so complex. If you will, but They're said in the simplest of ways about the simplest of things. This is so true. What are you going to tell yourself? Can you can't?
Speaker 1: You? Yeah? And you know what, I would urge because I was thinking, this is what I wanted to take away from this quote. Anytime I find myself thinking or saying I can't, check yourself, recognize what you just did. Wait, I just undermined myself. I just told myself I couldn't do something, so of course I'm not going to be able to do it. So I have been trying to recognize when I use that word can't and just have it just be an awareness. And when you find yourself or hear yourself saying it, stop and say, wait, why am I going there? Why wouldn't I say I could? Why shouldn't I? Try and keep your thoughts positive and believe in yourself. I love this. Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. Thank you, Henry Ford.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Our Friday quote of the Day was one of my favorites from one of the greatest comedians ever, a wise woman, Lucille Ball. She said, and we've heard this quote in many different iterations, but I like how she put it, I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done. I have talked about we have talked about a version of this, but it was once I read this that nurses who are in palliative care the end of day's care, have said that a common theme theme among people who are on their deathbeds. They they reflect on their life and their biggest regrets were things they didn't do. They didn't take that vacation to Tokyo, they didn't go after the love of their life, they didn't forgive that person that they held so much hate on, you know, for so many years. They regret the things they didn't do. And it's just such a reminder when you do things and afraid of making mistake, and so you don't you do them, and you make a mistake, you still at least have the experience, You still at least have the wisdom from doing it. When you don't do something, you'll never know what could have been.
Speaker 2: You have what do you have now as a regret?
Speaker 1: As a regret, I'm trying to make sure they're not there right now. I don't have a lot of regrets about what I didn't do, because I've been working to live that way. So I've taken the vacations, I've pushed myself past fear in certain physical activities. I'm trying to think of something I have regrets over because I'm really trying to check off those boxes to do the things that scare me, that do the things that where I think I can't or I think there are plenty of times in my life that I didn't think I could do things, and I've pushed myself past that. Now, how about you regret.
Speaker 2: I think we've talked about there's plenty of time. I don't deal in regrets. I just nothing. The only one I've quoted and people asked me this was not continuing my football career in junior high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that broken something you didn't do.
Speaker 2: It's something I did not do. I was a better football player than basketball player at the time, and I went on to be a really good ballplayer. I just wondered how good I could have been in football. That's not only regret, like wow, why did I keep going? But yeah, I broke my ankle and said that's it.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I mean I see that, and you can look at the different paths you take in your life. I think I definitely there was a point in which I just got my first job as a reporter in Charleston, South Carolina, and a group of friends of mine who I had been in acting school with all decided to move out to LA and try to make it. And they called me. They said, we need a fourth we need a fourth roommate. Let's do this, Let's go for it. And that had been a dream of mine to pursue acting. And I just was too concerned because I had a job. It was twenty two thousand dollars a year, but it was a job, and I didn't go for it. But that was my dream and I didn't go for it.
Speaker 2: How did their careers go credits?
Speaker 1: No, but they went for it.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: They didn't make it, but they went for it. And I remember feeling sad that I've looked back and thought, I wonder what would have happened had I chosen that, had I gone for it. You'll never know. And obviously I am where I am because of all the different experiences and choices we've made.
Speaker 2: But maybe you could have been in a better place.
Speaker 1: You don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but in a better home with a better guy. I doubt it.
Speaker 1: I doubt it. Yeah, and I think that that is that is just something to keep in mind when you're making choices in life. It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't get to do. We have a bonus quote, as we've been doing every Sunday, so this hopefully will start your Sunday off right and take you through the week. If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves.
Speaker 2: What do you make of this one?
Speaker 1: I love this one. This is from Maria Edgeworth. She is an Irish novelist who was born in seventeen sixty eight. Again, another way back quote that still resonates today. If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves. We all get caught in this trap where we're thinking about, Okay, what's going to happen next year? And where do I want to be in two years? And where do I want to be in five years? And what's going to happen when if my kid can't get into that elementary school that we're trying to get him or her in, or what if she doesn't get into the college I want for her, or what if my marriage doesn't work out, or what if I have to move somewhere. We all are worried about the what ifs and what might happen, and what we're trying to plan for things that may never even come up, and we're missing the moment. So if you take care of yourself and your family and what you need and what you want in the moment, the future you know, is going to be what it is. And so I think we future cast. I think that's the term the kids use now. We're always future casting.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a local weather man, right kind of.
Speaker 1: But if we stay in the moment and we just take care of us and ours now, the future will be what it is.
Speaker 2: You know, I gots stuck. It was such a New York thing to say, and I got it. But I can imagine living somewhere else and hearing that saying. People worry about stuff. You worry about this, you worry about that, Oh, you worry about where your kid is going to get into elementary school.
Speaker 1: That is a New York right, That's hilarious. You're right, you're right. You can take whatever worry would be wherever you live it, Yes, in Manhattan, it's like weighing on you.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like from the time your child is born. By the way, as a new born, people start asking you, yes, that was.
Speaker 1: Something relatable, perhaps only to people who live and are insane New York City. That's funny, that's true.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's what's jumped out from because I understood it, and I can't believe I now understand it because of course I live in New York. But yeah, they're all kinds of or worries out there. But yes, what's today? You and I have so much going on. We're worried about tomorrow and this week work and all these things. Can we can we go enjoy this this weekend day? Can we can go enjoy and have a good time and not worry about anything else? You know what? The years so far have been taking care of themselves, and I.
Speaker 1: Just like the idea of that. It's it's I do think a lot of it is control. You want to control what's going to happen. You want to set a goal. Hey, we're going to move here in three years, and here's how we're going to do it. And you're trying to control you have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow that's going to change that entire plan. You have no idea what's going to happen in a month that's going to set you want a completely different course. And so all that time we waste trying to control what we think we want and where we think we're supposed to go is a loss of experiencing what we have right now. So I love this. If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves. Thank you, Maria Edgeworth. Thank you for listening to hopefully all of these wise words that will get you thinking and maybe even get you thinking a little differently. So on behalf of my partner TJ. Holmes. I'm Amy Robot. Have a wonderful Sunday, everybody,