Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: We begin with demonstrations on college campuses across the country tied to the Israel Hamas conflict in Gaza. More than one hundred students were arrested last week for trespassing at a pro Palestinian rally at Columbia University. Now similar protests are cropping up at other elite institutions. Early yesterday, police at Yale arrested sixty people, including forty seven students. Protesters established an encampment as well at a central building on the campus of MIT. Some of these demonstrations have featured anti Semitic and intimidating chants and posters. President Biden responded yesterday as he left an Earth Day event in Virginia.
Speaker 3: I condemn that a protests.
Speaker 4: That's why I've set up I programmed to do with that.
Speaker 5: I also condemned those who don't understand what's going on with the Palestinians ya pisident.
Speaker 2: Biden is expressing concerns about anti Semitic violence during this week's Passover holiday. The protesters say their goal is to draw attention to the humanitarian concerns in.
Speaker 4: Gaza, Well Nathan.
Speaker 1: The protests have drawn condemnation from not only the White House, but billionaire university donors are speaking out as well. New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft is pulling his support for Columbia University over the treatment of Jewish students and faculty during the protests. He tells Fox News, this is unacceptable.
Speaker 6: I just can't believe in New York City, at Columbia University, Jewish students are afraid to go to classes. It's just in the United States of America in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: It's amazing to me.
Speaker 1: And the horrible and the announcement from Bob Kraft, a former Columbia student and major donor, adds to pressure on the university, whose president is facing calls by members of Congress to resign. Billionaire Leon Cooperman is also weighing his support for Columbia, calling the protesters quote crazy and saying they need to be controlled and Karen.
Speaker 2: These protests come as Israel returns its focus to the city of Rafa. Israel wants to eliminate what it says is the last remaining Hamas stronghold in Gaza. A potential invasion of that Egyptian border city is reviving international concerns about the fate of about a million civilians sheltering there. The US has strongly urged Israel not to invade the densely populated city.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Nathan the US Secretary of State, is denying a human rights double standard for Israel. Anthony Blenkin told reporters in Washington yesterday that the US is examining allegations of human rights and international law violations in Gaza by both Israel and Tomas.
Speaker 7: We are looking into reports incidents that are brought to our attention, and we have a process to do that, particularly if there are questions about whether US arms have been involved.
Speaker 1: And Secretary of State Anthony Lincoln's comments follow the State Department's release of its twenty twenty three country reports on human rights practices.
Speaker 4: And turning the focus to China.
Speaker 2: Now, Karen Apple's iPhone sales in the country have seen their worst performance since twenty twenty. That's according to data from the independent research firm Counterpoint. It says sales in China fell nineteen percent in the first quarter. In contrast, Huawei saw its sales climb by almost seventy percent over the same period. Bloomberg's edwin Chan has more details from Hong Kong.
Speaker 8: This is the first kind of real snapshot of what's happening in China. What it is is Apple's popularity has been steadily declining, I think around the time, but certainly not just off the Huawei released it's now infamous sixtiespotful into one fifty advanced made in China Chip. I think what that was was kind of a wake up call to many of humus within the country that local brands can all perform.
Speaker 2: And Blueberg's edwin Chen notes China remains one of Apple's biggest markets, but sales there have struggled after Beijing escalated a ban on foreign devices in state backed firms and government agencies.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan focusing on politics in the US, it's a Senate's turn to vote on four and eight on Capitol Hill, and Bloomberg's Amy Morris has a preview from Washington.
Speaker 9: Senators had planned to spend this week taking part in congressional delegations around the world or meeting with constituents back in their home states. Instead, They're back on Capitol Hill for the first votes on a ninety five billion dollar four and aid package. They'll start with a key test vote cloture to limit debate before a final vote to pass the bill. Now, this bill includes nearly sixty one billion dollars in eight for Ukraine, more than twenty six billion dollars for Israel, and more than eight billion dollars for the Indo Pacific. It also includes measures to seize Russian assets, require TikTok's Chinese owner to divest the app, and impose sanctions on Iran. The votes are set to take place this afternoon in Washington. Amy Moore as Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thank you. Speaking of TikTok, the company's gearing up to fight any US ban or order to divest. Bloomberg's Ed Baxter has that part of the story.
Speaker 10: TikTok says it will move to the courts for a legal challenge. It sets up a water shed battle that could set a path for Chinese business in the US. Four years ago, when the Trump administration threatened the ban, Byte Dance worked out a preliminary deal to sell it will not happen this time. Its sizzling growth makes it hard to part ways China's moves on Huawei and is afraid it won't end with TikTok. It feels it may be able to leverage support from users up to one hundred and seventy million now ed Baxter, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, and thanks so. Paulitaics are also front and center in Manhattan, with more testimony on the way in a hush money trial of former President Trump and Bloomberg's doing. Grosso has a preview.
Speaker 3: Before testimony resumes this morning, Judge Wan Mrshawn will hold a hearing on the prosecution's request to hold the former president in contempt of court over social media posts that prosecutors contend violated a gag order prohibiting Trump from attacking key witnesses in the case. Then David Pecker, the former publisher of The National Inquirer, will retake the witness stand in New York. June Grosso Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: Okay, June. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Now, we turn to the key earnings report due out after the closing bell. Tesla reports its quarterly results this afternoon, and Bloomberg's Doug Krisner says this report will be crucial for the electric vehicle giant.
Speaker 5: So far this year, Tesla stock is down nearly forty three percent. Sales have been slumping, inventories are high, there have been confusing product decisions, and let's not forget those price cuts in China. After the bell, Tesla is expected to report a forty percent plunge in operating profit. Revenue is expected to show its first decline in four years, and gross profit margin is expected to be the lowest in more than six years. Analyst Dan Ives of Webbush calls it a moment of truth for Tesla. Ives recently said the conference call and commentary will likely have a huge impact in New York. I'm Doug Prisner, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All Right, Doug, thank you, and taking a look at the earnings calendar today. We'll also hear from Consumer Bell, weathers, PepsiCo, and Ups. Tech giants Meta, Microsoft, and Alphabet report Wednesday and Thursday. This week. We'll also hear from exun Mobile and Chevron Friday. About one hundred and eighty companies report this week, representing over forty percent of the S and P market value. And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr Michael, good Morning, Good.
Speaker 11: Morning, Karen. Columbia University went to remote learning, and police arrested dozens of students at Yale and New York University as tensions over Israel's war with Moss continued to grow on US college campuses.
Speaker 7: You have been warned by New York University to leave the area.
Speaker 11: The moves at the Ivy League schools came hours before last evening start of the Jewish holiday of Passover. New York Governor Cathy Hockel says she met with the president of Columbia University and NYPD officials to discuss public safety initiatives as student protests continue on the New York City campus, and a message posted to social media, Governor Hockle said protests have reached a point where students are afraid to walk on campus.
Speaker 4: People need to find their humanity.
Speaker 3: Have the conversations, talked to each other, understand different points of view, because that's what college students should be doing.
Speaker 11: N MYPD Deputy Commissioner or Operations, Caz Dauntry.
Speaker 12: We haven't received any reports of any physical harm against any student. However, if there's any student Jewish or whoever that's been assaulted or wants to make a police fort or wants to talk to the police, we encourage them to Court nine.
Speaker 11: We work I knew Haven, Connecticut police spokesperson who said about forty five protesters were arrested at Yale yesterday in charged with misdemeanor trespassing. President Biden is heading to Tampa today, where he is set to talk about reproductive freedom. The President is expected to address Florida six week abortion ban that goes into effect May first. Meanwhile, Vice President Harris spoke at an event in Lacrosse, Wisconsin for reproductive Freedoms.
Speaker 4: More and more people will openly agree that one does.
Speaker 7: Not have to abandon their faith or deeply held beliefs to agree the government should not be telling her what to do with her.
Speaker 11: By without mentioning Donald Trump by name, Vice President Harris said he appointed Supreme Court justices with the intent of overturning Roe v.
Speaker 4: Wade.
Speaker 11: Finally, it looks like that two point seven billion dollar renovation paid off at Newark Airport's terminal A. Skytrak named it the world's best new airport terminal, glob News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Michael Barr, thank you, and it's time now for the Bloomberg Spores Update with John Stashower.
Speaker 4: John, Good morning, Good morning, Carreen.
Speaker 13: Rememberable night at the garden when it was over Knicks fans didn't want to leave Game two with Philadelphia Knicks trailed at the half, but led by eight in the fourth quarter, and then trailed by six with a half minute remaining, they were down by five.
Speaker 4: It was time for an unforgettable sequence.
Speaker 13: Stavid Chenz over to the corner, bruntson with six pulls for three off the rim and come the bounce, two point game still loose.
Speaker 6: I don't hear a whistle.
Speaker 4: Heart took it away to David Chenz over for three, missed it.
Speaker 13: Hart and Stein graps the offensive rebound and the Knicks another shot. Stevid Chenz over three of the lead, thirteen seconds to go. If be on the call, Nicks one one oh four one on one brunts and hit that three, but shot eight of twenty nine after going eight of twenty six in Game one. Even with his struggles, Knicks are up to nothing heading to Philly for Game three Thursday.
Speaker 4: Home teams are eleven to zero.
Speaker 13: When the NBA Playoffs, Cleveland Bea Orlando, Denver came from twenty down in the second half beat the Lakers on a Jamal Murray shot at the buzzer. Heartbreak for the Islanders in Raley, they had a three nothing lead with seven minutes left in the second period. The Hurricanes tied the game with two fifteen remainting that scored again nine seconds later.
Speaker 4: They won five to three.
Speaker 13: Lead the series two nothing Toronto, and on Austin Matthews goal won three two at Boston to tie the series. That won the hat trick for Zach Hyman in Edmonton series opening seven to four win over La Vegas.
Speaker 4: Took the opener in Dallas four to three.
Speaker 13: The Yankees sleepwalk through a Monday matt and a two nothing lost at the Stadium to the lowly Oakland A's. They had only three hits. The Mets had four hits. Lost in San Francisco five to two. The Jets found a team to take Zach Wilson. He's going to Denver with a seventh round pick. Jets get a sixth rounder. In the twenty twenty one draft, five quarterbacks were taken to the first fifth team picks. Just three years later, for them no longer with the team they were drafted by John Stashewer Bloomberg Sports Jar.
Speaker 1: Nathan all Right, John, thank you.
Speaker 11: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the.
Speaker 10: World on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: Some of the country's most elite college campuses are once again a flashpoint in the debate over the Israel Hamas War. But that debate has now turned into a crackdown, with police arresting dozens, if not hundreds, of pro Palestinian demonstrators, including students at Columbia, Yale and NYU, since last week. For more, we are joined by Julie Norman, the professor of Politics and International Relations at University College London. Julie, it's good to speak with you once again.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'd really be curious to get your perspective as an academic yourself on these protests happening in the IVY leagues, and the response that we're seeing from campus administration years and police in many cases.
Speaker 14: Yeah, well, thanks and good morning, Nathan. I think what we're seeing play out obviously just underscores the deep passions the emotions that have surrounded this conflict for years and often come out on college campuses and in other public places as well. This is something it's a conflict that is political and seems very far away in many places, but also is very personal and very personal for many students on campuses. I think it's particularly tricky because we see campus administrators trying to balance between ensuring that the campus feels safe for students, that students don't feel harassed or discriminated against, while also at the same time trying to protect free speech rights and the rights to protest and demonstrate. And we see those two duties and obligations essentially coming into conflict this week at these campuses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a balance that we've seen these campuses really struggle with since the early days of the war in Gaza, when we saw the testimony on Capitol Hill from the now former president of Harvard and m I T and pen As.
Speaker 4: Well, and how that was received.
Speaker 2: Is there a risk that the response that we're seeing now might have the pendulum swinging too far the other way?
Speaker 14: Well, I think that's certainly the way it's being perceived by many, that this attempt to crack down on many see work blatant disregard for student safety is maybe going, as you said, too far in terms of trying to crack down with police presence, with arrests, with suspensions, even for students who you know, were simply engaged in peaceful protests. And I would say it's again challenging for administrators in protest situations when there are some in the protest mics who are you saying, very saying messages that would not be allowed on campus, even if the majority of those are not, And how do you police that?
Speaker 4: How do you deal with that?
Speaker 14: They resorted to this method of simply trying to clear the encampments, and as we've seen, that I think has just increased the blowback and if anything, has just galvanized the encampment movement on these campuses and on other campuses as well.
Speaker 2: And it's a blowback that the President Biden has had to confront as well. He was talking about it yesterday in Virginia, saying he condemns the protest as anti Semitic, saying that a lot of the students don't understand the situation when it comes to the Palestinians. I wonder what you make of the President's response in our last minute.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so you know, Biden has weighed in on this. He's condemned the anti semitism. It's obviously becoming an increasingly difficult path for him to walk in terms of campaigning either on or near college campuses without having these calls against his positions on Gaza. So I think he feels this very directly. In terms of the protests themselves, again, there's a lot of different messages in them. Some, I would say, you know, the President do see very blatant anti semitism. I think many involved in them think they are just being critical of Israel. But I think the President is right that there's a lot of different different levels of knowledge and different levels of engagement with the conflict from those who are at protesting, and that makes any kind of response to them very difficult.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street. To Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Election devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SERRIUSXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak